Speaker 1: And how are you. I am doing well, sir, How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great now. It sounds like you've had nine cups of coffee and I like it.
Speaker 1: You're a little low, but I appreciate the compliment. I think. Anyway, how are you doing, dude?
Speaker 3: Where do you?
Speaker 2: Little?
Speaker 3: Life is great? Man?
Speaker 2: Seriously, I caught a lick with the James gunn peacemaker placement in that HBO show with John Cena with Nelson.
Speaker 3: That was great. That happened a couple months ago.
Speaker 2: And now we just woke up to a best selling book on Amazon, so it feels pretty good.
Speaker 4: Hey, So okay, so obviously we'll get into the book. What happened to your hair is the name of the book.
Speaker 1: Why? Well, let's let's back up to the beginning. Why why? Why? Now? Why? Now?
Speaker 2: You know, honestly, it just kind of was one of those things where over the years we had so many people coming up with really important questions to us as our father's son.
Speaker 3: That's that was really the impetus.
Speaker 2: It started out wanting to set the record straight with what happened with our father's plane crash back in the day that we weren't allowed to talk about back in the day, and we just kind of hoped that time was going to address that, and it.
Speaker 1: Just seemed to not so.
Speaker 2: After one too many people came up in an autograph line and said, hey, you know, we heard all these rumors about your dad's a plane crash.
Speaker 3: What was the real deal?
Speaker 2: We just decided to start writing the book just based on that, and it turned into something much greater than that.
Speaker 3: It was our opportunity in our own words.
Speaker 2: There are no ghostwriters or anything like that, right, Matthew and I got to tell our stories the first time that we're telling our story rather than other people trying to tell it for us.
Speaker 4: You know what, you know what I don't understand though, is like Ricky Nelson was very very famous, your dad was a very very very famous person. And the plane crash happens, and as it turns out, like we're.
Speaker 1: Saying what it is, right, it's in the book, Like I'm not hiding anything.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, what we're saying what it is.
Speaker 2: It turned out to be a leaking fuel line that fed the heater in the back of the plane, that filled the belly of the plane up with aviation fuel.
Speaker 1: Right, and that faithful New Year's Eve.
Speaker 2: It was coming in for a landing in decalb, Texas, and the fuel sloshed forward and a spark in the cockpit wiring actually set it on fire.
Speaker 3: They actually landed the plane by the way.
Speaker 2: They were able to land the plane, but the smoke had taken everybody by the time that they were able to see the pilot's escape through the escape patch in the front, and they were the only two that survived. They were really, really injured. But it was one of those things where it was bad enough that we had to deal with that. Our dad was our best friend. Matt and I were just eighteen. We were all living together and hanging out, and Matthew and I were actually supposed to be on that plane.
Speaker 4: Our father crazy is that? And your dad was like, I got a bad something's not right here.
Speaker 1: Just meet me there.
Speaker 2: Well, look, as a dad myself, it's kind of one of those things. All these years, I've wondered why it was. But Matthew, Okay, first off, it was going into New Year's Eve. It was the first semester after all of our friends from high school had gone away to college and they had come back and we were all going to have New Year's Eve parties together and stuff. But our dad was doing a New Year's Eve concert in Dallas, and our plan was since we'd never flown on this legendary plane. It was bought by I bought from Jerry Lee Lewis. It was a World War Two era DC three big plane that we were going to fly on the plane with our father from his gig before New Year's Eve in Alabama. We're going to fly with the band and our dad to that New Year's Eve show on the plane for the first time and catch New Year's together, catch a show, And that was the whole point of it. And for some reason our dad called us the night before we were supposed to split. Matt and I had our bags packed ready to go to the airport and fly down there commercially. The next morning he called out of the blue, and he was uncharacteristically stern about it. He said, look, boys, just been thinking about this. Love to spend New Year's with you, but if we're going to do it, you gotta fly commercial Dallas and meet me there. And you know, we were kind of crabby about the whole thing, saying, you know, the whole point was to fly on the plane and he said, you know, look, I've made up my mind.
Speaker 3: This is not a negotiation. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: So we said, okay, well, we'll just wait here, hang out with our friends for New Year's we'll see you when you get back. And of course he never did right. And then the press handled that so horribly. They started this weird rumor about drug abuse on the plane having any thing to do with it, and it was a whirlwind.
Speaker 3: It was in the press cycle and so on top of losing our dad.
Speaker 2: As kids just eighteen, we had to navigate a really toxic and violent press about how they were trashing our dad's reputation.
Speaker 3: But Matt and I at the time couldn't talk about it.
Speaker 2: Because the deal was made that if the families of the band that went down with the plane as well were to get subsities, get paid, and be able to pay for their kids, we weren't allowed to talk about it. We had to wait until the NTSP report came out a year later, which it did. Of course, it exonerated our father. However, the damage had already been done. So I still get people coming up at autograph lines like I said, and asking and this book really does address all of it.
Speaker 4: But the part that I still don't get, and maybe I'm just dumb, but the part that I don't get is isn't it a big enough story? I feel horrible saying this talk about your dad, but isn't it a big enough story that Ricky Nelson and his band died in a plane crash on New y Year's Eve? That whether you don't have to go the extra step to try to create like this false narrative about drug abuse. How about just the fact that this guy who's his parents are famous, he's got two young kids, he's got a band there with families everybody.
Speaker 1: Isn't that enough?
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes we suck, Elliott, Like I said, you know, I, you know, It's just kind of one of those things.
Speaker 3: Man, It's just you would think.
Speaker 2: But apparently there was a reporter from the Washington Post walking around the wreckage afterwards and just launching questions, random questions to the NTSB investigator who was there, and just based on he said, oh, are you going to check for drug abuse on the plane? And the investigator said, well, we check for everything. Just on that, this guy decides to write this totally fabricated story, which unfortunately caught wind on the wire and spread everywhere.
Speaker 3: But it was total bs.
Speaker 2: The whole thing was right, and you know, I guess that reporter just kind of wanted to be at the forefront of all that. It's you know, it was tragic and stuff, but it's really important to note. Look, honestly, we lose a lot of us going to and from gigs. I always say, just Matthew and I've been doing this for forty years now, and they don't really pay us for the shows.
Speaker 1: They pay us for the travel, right, that's what we get paid for.
Speaker 2: And it's scary, you know sometimes in Matthew and I've had a lot of close calls that are also in the book as well. But it's just kind of that part of the lifestyle where you have to get you got to bring the rock to the people, and you got to get there somehow. And this was just kind of one of those times when a series of events had to conspire absolutely perfectly in order for that particular disaster to have happened. You take one of those events out and it wouldn't have happened quite that way. And so when that happens, you just kind of got to go. Well, maybe maybe God just wanted them home. Maybe it was just his time. Because coincidences are one thing, but so many coincidences lining up is really hard to kind of look around.
Speaker 4: Hey, So the way that you and Matthew do this book, it's pretty interesting. It's it's all broken up by chapters, and and I do want to say that, while you know there's there there is obviously a ton that is paid to the family, it also gets into the nitty gritty and the good and I guess a little bit of the not so good of Nelson, but the But it's written chapter by chapter, where you write a chapter and Matthew writes a chapter, or you'll write about something and then Matthew will do it. How did you guys decide to break it up that way?
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's a great question. Well, first off, there are no ghostwriters involved in this at all. This is all me and Matthew. We've got a very specific voice. And when we're putting together the so to speak, the big rocks, like what are the chapters we're going to have to conquer here, we actually kind of divvy them up based on who was most passionate or had the best memory of certain things that went down.
Speaker 3: That's initially how we did it.
Speaker 2: There was only one chapter where we each wrote our take on a particular event, and that was the event.
Speaker 1: We just talked about the crash.
Speaker 2: But for everything else it really flowed very very well. I mean, it's not a short book. It's over five hundred pages, over fifty chapters, and to be honest with you, we could have written another book equally as long if you really wanted to do like the old adults only version that's coming next.
Speaker 3: This one.
Speaker 2: We just had to kind of take the big swipes at things and it's been an amazing ride. Man.
Speaker 3: Our childhood was not Ozzie and Harriet.
Speaker 2: Our career, man, it just had more ups and downs than Magic Mountain. But the whole point was we always had each other, and we've always had this attitude that a lot of people in our industry have attacked. We are eternal optimists. We're grateful for everything. We are the opposite of the Kardashians. We are grateful for not entitled at all, and that's really helped us sometimes. It's all we've been able to have. Like I've got a producer friend named Jack Ponti, who worked with bon Jovi back in the day, who once said to us, I've never seen any two.
Speaker 1: Guys able to make more out of nothing than you guys.
Speaker 2: And I went thank you, and he's like, I didn't mean it as a compliment, and it's like, but we naturally did take it as a compliment.
Speaker 3: And that's what's really helped us. Man.
Speaker 4: So I jumped immediately to page one eighty four, Rocking the Radio, and it just so happened to be written by you. And it starts picking up where you guys are talking about how Geffen Records, who you're signed to, has you guys out on the road. And the plan was, how are you guys going to break through? Millie Vanilli's scandal has just broken. Here's two guys who obviously look alike, and they're going to be out on the road.
Speaker 1: So the whole thing was.
Speaker 4: Before anything is out, let's get them out on the road. And you guys are visiting two, three, four radio stations in a day, sometimes in four or five different cities cities in a day, And the whole thing was just get out there and get known, and get out there and get known, and oh quick side note, did you really play a radio station manager's daughter's sweet sixteen party?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Many of them, Absolutely, many of them. I also did a lot of those free radio shows. I'm using air quotes here. Radio shows. Sure, you show up with the band and you play for free, and then you find out that the company that owns the radio station is selling tickets and making a ton of money, and you're you're doing it for free just on the chance they're going to spin your record on the stations.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of those two.
Speaker 1: So you're I'm sorry, go ahead, go ahead, No, no, I mean what you were mentioning.
Speaker 2: Yes, we did have to go to all the radio stations because you talk about timing. As you mentioned, Milli Vanilli comes out like eight months before us. The whole scandal happens, actually eight months before we release. People see the two of us in spandex and assless chaps and they think we're like Milli Vanilla, you know, And honestly, dude, we were a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, we really were.
Speaker 2: The image was insane, but our model was love us or hate us, You're going to know who we are. But the problem with that is being sons of having the image we had we had basically treated as guilty until proven innocent. Right going to all of those radio stations was not just to get known. It was to get in there, raw and unfiltered, two acoustic guitars, two voices. Of course, I don't know why you guys want us to sing it for in the morning and sound like we're in fine form, but that's kind of like the nature of it. You go out and you do these morning shows and you spread the word and it's it can't be doctored.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not auto tune. It's right there.
Speaker 2: So people could hear the Matthew and I actually know how to how to speak our mind, and we actually can sing, and we can actually play talker. I don't know why people wouldn't assume that we could, But that's what that whole thing was about, was just to get people talking at radio that like, hey, you know, I wanted to write off those Nelson boys, but man, they're pretty.
Speaker 4: Darn good, you know. So that's what we had to start doing. So you guys are on your way to the Bobby Poe Convention. We'll get into that in a second, and.
Speaker 1: That takes place.
Speaker 4: The Poe Convention is actually in Tyson's corner here in DC. But here's the part that I didn't realize. And now, Gunner, you won't you and I you will not remember me. That's okay, but you talk about You guys are in d C. And Pirate Radio plays your song out in Los Angeles and people start calling you, going, holy crap, Pirate Radio's playing your song. It's not out yet, like it hasn't been put out yet. You guys are just going and all of a sudden, Pirate starts playing it. Now the part, Gunner, that you won't remember is at Pirate Radio, I was Russell the Love Muscle.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, now I know who I'm talking to you.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: And so I remember playing.
Speaker 4: I remember you guys coming in and doing Christmas carols at Pirate. I feel like Pirate and Nelson did so much crap together we all may.
Speaker 1: As well have been joined at the hip.
Speaker 3: Ain't that the case?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Pirate Radio.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was just a different day in radio. It was so cool.
Speaker 2: I always tell people I love the fact that our first record came out before cell phones because we still had culpable deny, you know, no photographic proof in the pocket. You couldn't be tracked everywhere you went, and radio was fantastic. Pirate Radio was a station in LA that basically auspiciously played what they wanted to play, right, And this was at a time when all the big companies, the big corporations that ran radio were formatting everything. And this is before Jack FM eliminated a lot of the DJs, and it was really great. It's kind of like the Wild West for radio. And we got into trouble all the time with those guys. But the problem was we were out on those radio tours, like we just mentioned, going from city to city to city, and I was starting to get phone calls from my friends going, hey, man, your song sounds great on the radio and we'd never heard it before, and it was very frustrating. So this convention you mentioned, the Bobby Coat Boat Convention, legendary radio convention that they don't do anymore because.
Speaker 1: Ye strippers and cocaine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, no, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And it was one of those things too, because we were always, you know, making the most out of what we had.
Speaker 3: That particular convention.
Speaker 2: Our record label, Geffen rec was too cheap to get a sweet upstairs where people were normally the radio guys were normally corded, And so Matthew and I opened up our guitar cases at the foot of the one elevator that people would have to go up and down all day, and we opened up our guitar cases and started busking right there and playing our instruments and singing our songs. And that's how we kind of introduced ourselves to a lot of different radio people. And on the ride home from the convention, one of our friends at radio said, Hey, this is for the Nelson Boys, who were complaining about the fact that they've never heard their song on the radio. This is for you boys, And they played Love and Affection and we had one of those that thing you do moments. We've literally pulled over the car freaking out. And I love radio compression. It was the first time we ever heard our song on the radio.
Speaker 3: Was awesome, and YouTube.
Speaker 4: Were jumping around like you just won the super Bowl on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike.
Speaker 1: Well, that's pretty freaking cool, man, that's awesome. No, I think it's great. I love that. That's in the.
Speaker 2: Book, dude, We're just a couple of kids from Burbank who just wanted to make music. We happened to have a famous father that you know, was you know, sold half or half a billion singles during his career. No pressure, mind you, But to us, we just had music around the house all the time, and we wanted to do our own thing like the other generations of Nelson's had done. Our grandpa had a big band and he had a number one in nineteen thirty five, and our dad has had his and you know, we had our success when spandex was still a privilege and not a rite, and it was great, man, it was a big, big fun But they were songs that we wrote ourselves, that we produced ourselves.
Speaker 3: And now here we are, man, all.
Speaker 2: These years later, talking about a book that we wrote ourselves. It's pretty cool, hey, is it true?
Speaker 4: Like like when Ricky Nelson would your dad was huge, People would break into the house to like like climb up the lattice work and break into the house. And then his mom, your grandmother, would go meet him there and like take them downstairs and serve them breakfast.
Speaker 3: Pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she was actually really used to the ty Bopper's kind of breaking. Everybody knew where the Nelson's lived, by the way, if I mean a lot of your listeners are too young to remember, but there was a family television show called The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet. They ran for fourteen years and four hundred and thirty five episodes, and there was an establishing shot at the beginning of each episode of a big white house that the family walked out of the front door and waved to the camera that was their real house at eighteen twenty two Caminal palm Merrow in Hollywood. Everyone knew where that Nelson's lived, and it was a different time. You didn't have you didn't have.
Speaker 1: A big walls or security details.
Speaker 2: And Grandma Harriet would tell us that she was very used to when our dad caught a lick with his music. It was only like sixteen or seventeen, but it was a phenomenon. Her going up to put away our dad's laundry and she's here like giggling, and she'd look over and she'd see saddle shoes poking out from behind the curtains by the window. I mean, girls would sneak in all the time, and she would just you know, be friendly to them and stuff and tell them that they couldn't do that and take them downstairs and ask them if they were hungry or whatever.
Speaker 1: She was Harriet, she was awesome, but different times totally, Gunnard, let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: So there's there's a point in the book where you're talking about how Nelson. So, so the song, the song is out, the song is starting to get played, MTV is starting to play it. You're back in Los Angeles and before you went out on the road and before the song started getting played. There there's a mall in Sherman Oaks called the Galleria, and it was where you and you and Matthew would go, just like any teenager living in Sherman Oaks or living in that area would go.
Speaker 1: You just went to the mall as kids. Nobody knew who you were, nobody cared who you were. You were just two kids walking around the mall.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden, love and affection breaks and you guys are going to go do an in store appearance at the mall, and it is you guys show up at the mall, and it's been two weeks since the last time you two were at the mall just shopping at that was at was the moment that you guys got off the elevator and it is thousands of people in the mall waiting to see you guys. Is that the moment where it finally clicked of oh crap, we did it.
Speaker 2: That well, it was a different kind of realization. It was like, oh crap, this is dangerous.
Speaker 3: I mean it was.
Speaker 2: First off, it was freaking awesome. I'm not gonna lie about that. It was amazing. But the difference that being on television makes, that was the only difference we shopped for our trip to New York. We sat in for Daisy Fuentes, who was on vacation, and did a show called dial MTV where Matthew and I were front announcing and back announcing videos but playing in and out of the commercial breaks with our acoustic guitars and singing, and we were kind of like a little bubble there when we were doing that week of hosting. And then we come back to Los Angeles to our stomping grounds and the mall you're talking about, this is the same mall that they filmed Fast Times at Ridgemont High End and the in store that we were doing was at the Licorice Pizza record store that was in that movie, and so we get off the freight elevator and the sound hit us like a jet engine. It was absolutely phenomenal and a little scary, to be honest. We tried to keep everybody very calm. And you know, matt and I are still the same guys. We haven't changed it all. The only difference was doing that work on MTV for the week. It's incredible what that can do. Yeah, hey, look, get on TV and it turns you from a solid five into at least a strong eight.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: And you know, it was a different time too, because now we are assaulted by input from our cell phones and TikTok and all that stuff, and we've got short attention span theater. But back then MTV was the eight hundred pound Gorilla. It was on twenty four hours a day. All the kids watched it all the time, and that was really great, and Matthew and I really seemed to connect very very well with the MTV culture and did a lot of it, went on to do a lot of hosting for them, and we had four number one videos with that first record After the Rain and you know, bottom line was, back then you could have that kind of video play driven success. And everything's changed now, of course, but just like every Nelson before, you take advantage of the technology you've got at the time and do the best you can. Unfortunately for us, man, it really it caught a lick with a vengeance.
Speaker 3: It was. It was pretty intense.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you this.
Speaker 4: That night, you guys go to the Rainbow Room on the Sunset Strip just to kind of celebrate, like, holy crap, that was amazing. At the end, when you guys are leaving the Penthouse, pet of the Year grabs Matthew's hand and wants to take him back to the hotel room, and she says, I'm gonna f your brains out, and Matthew says, pauses for a moment, and then says, Nope, I'm not going, and that gives us whole reason about why he's not going, And then the band gives him crap.
Speaker 1: If she would have grabbed Gunner's hand, would you have gone.
Speaker 2: Well, she would have been walking. Funny, let's just say we're very, very different people. We give Matthew crap about that moment all the time, because you know, of course this was the beginning of the success back then, and you know, he had his morals and his standards, and he was like, oh, well, you know a week ago, you wouldn't have cared. And mon said, there going, that's a freakinghouse peut.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: And Matthew has, I think regretted that that moral stand that he took with the Penthouse pet of the Year.
Speaker 3: I think he's an idiot.
Speaker 2: But I'm happy to say that Matthew thinks he's an idiot now too.
Speaker 1: Do you know the other part that I didn't realize.
Speaker 4: You talk about going to a kiss show and seeing them play. I believe it's with Winger and Slaughter and you're talking, You're talking to Gene Simmons, and there's six thousand people at the show, and Jean's miserable. He's like, oh my god, this is all disappearing in front of our eyes, like it's all falling apart.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh my god, there's six thousand people here. This is awesome. You and Matthew go out to the soundboard.
Speaker 4: Anyway, the whole thing, But I never heard, I guess why would I have ever heard? But the story about you telling Gene, honestly, put your makeup on.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares about you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: You're ugly or you're That's not what they're here to say.
Speaker 4: They want to see the circus, they want to see everything around it.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, Nelson saves Kiss.
Speaker 2: Well, first off, I mean, Gene, we had a great relationship back in the day. We were all managed by the same manager. So Kiss was managed by the same guy we were, and so we got a chance to spend a little time there. And that was at the Long Beach Arena. When that all went down. We were backstage and Gene was looking out over the It was kind of like one of those those skyboxes that the dressing room was in, and he was looking out over the crowd and he was bemoaning the fact that the place held twelve thousand people and six thousand people were there, and he was like, Oh, I think it's over, and I can't believe this. It's like, Gene a kidding down there. Six thousand people here, it's awesome, give him a great show. So I just don't know what to do. It's getting tougher. It's like, Jeane, you know, I'll give you my insight. Here's my opinion. No one wants to see you guys without your makeup on. You know, they're coming for the circus. That's what they want, right, I'm telling you, If you gave them what they wanted, if you put the makeup back on and called it your farewell tour, you could sell tickets for a thousand bucks apiece. Now, by the way, back then, no one had done anything that autlandish. A thousand bucks a ticket now it's normal. Back then it was insane. People were selling tickets for twelve bucks a ticket. And he just, you know, in Geene fashion, he kind of looked at me and he throwed as brown Euan, you really think so it's a Geene. I don't know anybody seriously. If you put that makeup back on and you had the fire and the blood and the whole thing, and you called it your farewell tour, who wouldn't spend a thousand dollars a ticket. Now, I'm not saying that that conversation was what caused it, but I definitely think it fanned some flames. I think he was thinking about that anyways, right, But I think just sitting here with a guy who looked like Faara faucet and talking about.
Speaker 3: That whole thing.
Speaker 2: You know, the one thing that Nelson and Kiss both knew how to do was market you know, we had an image, you had a brand, and it was outlandish and outrageous and it wasn't normal and it got people talking. We understood each other on that level. And you know, the guy's a marketing genius. I can't take that away from him. You know, he knows what he's doing and he was smart enough to do exactly that. Put that makeup back on and you know, get out there and do that. Gene Simmons kind of walked thing that he does, and.
Speaker 3: Man, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: And you know, after that, people enjoyed the Kiss Farewell tour for a full thirty years. Hey, we're chapters forty four and forty five deliberately one after the other and then written the way that they were, or not written the way that they were.
Speaker 1: Was that very intentional.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think, I don't have a book in front of me.
Speaker 4: Chapter forty four talks about it walks through how you guys sold millions and millions of records. You don't make any money, the debt, but it talks about number one, would you do it all over again? And the answer is yes, And you talk specifically about the kid watching the After the Rain video and what that meant to him and how that means more than selling records, And then it goes into forty five. Is you and Matthew talking about what you want to say to your ex wives?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the most writing I've done in this book was was that particular that last chapter you mentioned. When people get the book, they'll understand what I'm saying, right, But no, there wasn't intense. The placement was not intentional. But you know what is really important is when I talk to young artists nowadays, are people trying to make their mark in the wild West, That is the music business, or what's left of it right now. The most important thing you can do is really try to figure out what it is you're about. What is it you have to say that is so special and so unique and so important that your fan out there that hasn't heard you yet or hasn't seen you yet has to go to you to get that exact thing.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned a letter.
Speaker 2: There's a stack of letters, actually, but that particular letter that you mentioned is in my safe right now, and it was from a kid who, at thirteen years of age, as a way back in the day would have been nineteen ninety, I had spent all day at school giving away their possessions to their friends, and they were depressed. They had marked that day was the day they were going to end it all. Their parents were going to be out of the house that day, and he had it all planned. And he went back to his house and he took his stepfather's thirty eight out of the drawer and he had it on his lap and he was mustering up the courage to do it, and he was watching MTV in the background. Had just at that moment one of our videos came on, and it was our video for After the Rain, and there was a line in that song which is don't be afraid to lose what was never meant to be. And then he watched the video and he saw the arc of it, and it's about a kid who was kind of in his situation, and it gave him enough time to pause and call his grandmother and she came over and they intervened, got him treatment and it had saved his life. So he wrote me a letter about that that I have in my safe that I pull out every now and again when I'm feeling a little.
Speaker 3: Low about why we do what we do.
Speaker 2: But the coolest thing was about a month ago, this guy shows up at one of our shows in an autograph language till the very end, and it turns out to be that kid now a man, and he wanted to introduce me to his children.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's awesome, Dude, are you kidding me? That's amazing, that's awesome, that's great.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So it's not about the stuff, man, it's not about the fame, it's not about the fortune.
Speaker 3: It's not about the power.
Speaker 2: I've had all of that and lost it all and got it all back and lost it all. You know, you sit there and you kind of go, man, what is really really really important? And to me, music has always just been a means to an end, you know, it's about connecting with people. That Nelson's have always been in the connection business, not the entertainment business, right, And any chance we can get to, you know, give people pause or lift him up a little bit or or whatever, we've done it. And a lot of times it's cost us everything and more that we've had but it's really been worth In that chapter you mentioned, I mean, if somebody had said to me in the very beginning, Okay, you're going to be the most famous person in the world for two years, but it's going to cost you everything, and then some you're going to be in debt and paying that debt off for thirty years. You're going to become the pariah overnight that you never earned the brunt of jokes because the paradigm of music shifted, and it's going to take you that thirty years to work yourself back.
Speaker 3: Would you still do it? And the answer is where do I sign up?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, let's go.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, call me a glutton for punishment or just a raging code of pennant.
Speaker 3: I've got the greatest life in the world.
Speaker 4: Man, Hey, last thing, and then I know I got to let you jump. If the paid per view double bill would have taken place with Axel Rose fighting Vince Neil and you fighting Sebastian Bach, would you have totally kicked his ass?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, I you know, I don't know. I will I will tell you this though, I was a big Matthew says, Yes, Matthew says two things.
Speaker 4: Number one, that Gunner was a huge man whore and that you would have kicked his ass because of your karate training.
Speaker 2: Well it was actually combat kunk ku, but who's training.
Speaker 3: But no, no, it's okay, I studied both. But you know, it wasn't that.
Speaker 2: It was a time when everybody was exchanging barbs through the press and all that stuff, and Sebastian said some stuff not about me, but about my twin and he was physically threatening and that was kind of crossing the line.
Speaker 3: So I just kind of said, you know, why don't we stop being stupid.
Speaker 2: Let's find a state that's unsanctioned and let's do this is before the UFC. Let's do it and you know, no rules sort of thing, and sell it on pay per view. Let's not be dumb. Let's all make ourselves millionaires.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: And to me, the way I looked at it, I couldn't lose because Sebastian's like nine feet tall. Okay, the guy is really and he's tough man. I'm not saying he's a worse at all. Guy is a tough man. But you know, if I lost the fight, all right, I just got my ask exactly exactly, you know, but if he lost the fight, if he lost the fight, that would have been bad for him, right. So anyways, look, it all worked itself out, and I will say, man to me, very very very few guys sang rock and roll better than Sebastian Bach. The guys have just a monster vocalist. I've always loved his vocals. I don't like his temper, but I've always admired his artistry.
Speaker 1: The book What Happened to Your Hair?
Speaker 4: How We Played Loud, Loved, Proud, and Never Back Down Together is out and available.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 4: By the way, the chapter what if Pop Hadn't died beautiful tribute Gunner.
Speaker 1: I thought it was really really.
Speaker 3: Sweet, banks man. That's that's how we actually ended the book. That was the question.
Speaker 2: And you know, of course I give everything just to have five more minutes of my best friend, my dad here. But you know what, if I'm really honest about it, none of the songs that people know, almost that letter that we talked about would not be in my safe If our pop had had lived, I would be a drummer in his band, probably right. I would never have written that song. I never would have done any of that stuff, So I don't know, Man, everything happens for a reason. It doesn't feel that way when you're going through it in the moment. But looking back on my life now, man, everything that I've gone through has made me who I am, and I don't regret that part of it. But I also believe that your positivity is a superpower and that the only control you really have no matter who you are, because the circumstances are always going to be the stimulus is going to be the same as what you make out of it. And Matthew and I have been making diamonds out of lumps of coal for our entire lives.
Speaker 4: And by the way, if that doesn't happen, g Norley, Charlie and I are at Griffith Park Zoo or just out of Griffith Park with everybody for the filming of the After the Rain video.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, but you were Russell the love muscle y, Yes exactly, of course. Thank you for remembering Gunner all right, buddy. The book is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Congratulations dude, Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas, Happy holidays to everybody out there. And man, good talking to you after all of these years and what happened to your hair. It's on Amazon right now.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, Thanks Gunner, thank you, Bye.