Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We'regea running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasselast day.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasey live at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers defeat the Phillies tonight by a final score of four to two. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It was a great sellout, almost sellout crowd fifty thousand, eight hundred and thirty four at Dodgers Stadium tonight on alex Vesia Bobblehead Night. And actually came into the game with two outs in the eighth inning to be able to strike out Kyle Schwarber for the final out of that inning. So he was fired up and hey, great job bringing him into the game on his bobblehead night. Incredible stuff by Alex Vesia and still going strong somehow, some way to get guys like Kyle Schwarber out. But tonight it was all about Justin Robleski, the Dodgers starting left hander who outdueled Zach Wheeler tonight. Justin Robleski had a no hitter with two outs in the sixth inning before Kyle Schwarber got the first hit, and it was a mammoth shot to center field home run for Kyle Schwarber to break up the no hitter and the shutout. But Robleski hung in there for seven innings, did not give up another run. He had nine strikeouts and did not walk a single batter. Robleski struck out Trey Turner twice tonight and was able to keep Bryce Harper off the bases as well. He struck out Harper twice tonight as well. Justin Robleski got sixteen swings and misses tonight. He was fantastic and the Dodger offense had got six hits tonight. Four of them were sole home runs off of Zach Wheeler, Freeman in the first, Monseie in the second, Otani in the third, and Will Smith for good measure. In the fifth inning tonight, Freeman and Munsei got Kershaw karma because both were surprised to see Kershaw sitting front row in those owner seats right by the on deck circle. Freeman and Munseie acknowledged him before they hit their home runs, and when they came back to the dugout, they certainly had a big smile for Kershaw, who was sitting right next to Dodger Talk listener Brad Paisley tonight at Dodger State. So a really fun night here at Dodgers Stadium, and certainly fun to have Kershaw front row when another left hander like Justin Robleski was doing what he was doing tonight against a formidable Phillies lineup.
Speaker 5: Let's hear from Justin Robleski.
Speaker 2: He caught up with Heidi Watney on Apple TV after the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Justin, you came out firing tonight. You took a note hitter into the sixth inning, a career high nine case.
Speaker 5: What was working for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just think, you know, eternal Scotting.
Speaker 7: I think we did a really good job of kind of creating a game plan through today and we went out there and executed. I think we said on the attack pretty well, we'll obviously call the great game and kind a great game heading too. So yeah, it's just a whole lot of support and just just a good.
Speaker 3: Outing at general.
Speaker 6: Hey, velosity was up tonight average more than a mile prour faster. You touched ninety seven a couple of times.
Speaker 1: What's behind that increase?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think something click for me today. I don't know if I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I fell it back to myself today as opposed to kind of the way i've man I've kind of insearched it a little bit just for that that extra tick that I usually have. So I was encouraging tonight to kind of see that and kind of see the fastball play like I know it can play.
Speaker 6: You've been trending that way the last couple of starts. Is there something you've been working on to increase the VEEO?
Speaker 7: Not, not anything in particular, just kind of getting back to me and me getting back to just the normal stuff that allows me to throw hard and yeah, just I think also too, it's just part of a long season. I have ups and downs. I usually throw harder in June, and that's just kind of the way it's been for me. So we're almost at June, and maybe that's just what's.
Speaker 8: Happening on with you.
Speaker 6: You talked about the offense behind you. Homer's in the first, in the second, and the third again in the fifth. Does that take some pressure off of you seeing those guys go do that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 7: I mean when you know you have an offense like we have, I mean, obviously it gives you commudists to go out there and just attack and try to get him back in the dugout. And then for me, just just going against the guy like Zach Wheeler, I know, you know, he's a study's someone I've watched forever and you know, super cool to kind of get to go against the guy like that, so I know he's gonna put up zero, So I got I gotta do the same, and yeah, see if we can win lugging.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Justin Robleski on Apple TV. After going seven innings tonight only throwing eighty eight pitches, Robleski threw his four seen fastball, averaging about ninety five miles an hour tonight. On the season, it had only been averaging ninety four miles an hour, so he did have a little extra giddy up on the fastball tonight. He also mixed in his slider, his changeup, and his sinker to be able to keep this Phillies lineup off balance. And he set the tone in the very first inning, striking out the side in order. He struck out Schwarber's swinging. He got Trey Turner looking, and he struck out Harper swinging to start the first innings. So you're thinking, okay, this is gonna work tonight against this lineup. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the calls for the first time tonight. Felix in San Diego. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Felix? Okay, you go ahead and punch him up. Colin, Hi, Felix, Hey.
Speaker 9: What's going on man? Good evening, Thanks for taking my call. Hey, yeah, I actually just wanted to give her Billspius Roses. Thank god this guy is still on the team. I don't know if you remember, but at the beginning of the season there were talks about the whole stew ball potentially coming.
Speaker 10: To us and him being part of that package.
Speaker 3: I don't hear anybodyalore at Channel five.
Speaker 5: I don't see scoopl here on the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't hear anybody right now in Blue Cruel Country talking about we want.
Speaker 10: Schoovil and you can have her bluff you right, But no.
Speaker 9: You know the other thing I was gonna mention to you is I'm a man, and I'll let me when I'm wrong.
Speaker 10: I'm I used to call him he who shall not be named.
Speaker 9: I wanted nowhere near the postseason Atlanta. I'll tell you what, man, this year he's looking, he's looking on point, and good on.
Speaker 10: Him for you know, redemption season.
Speaker 9: Last thing I have for you, man, if you can do me a favor and hit us up on with you know, I tried looking.
Speaker 10: Into it, but I can figure it out. What's the story with Tibbs man?
Speaker 9: We really need him, especially right now that I both Kik and Tale are out.
Speaker 5: What did you say? Who? What's up with who?
Speaker 10: Tips? Tips?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: James Tibbs the Third, Yeah, James Tibbs the Third hasn't been playing the outfield in the minor leagues. He's got some left fore arm issue going on. The Dodgers called up Ryan Ward, who has paid his dues Felix and was the Triple A Player of the Year last year. So he's on the forty man roster and the Dodgers are going to give him an opportunity. He's earned it, and him and Alex Call are going to split time in left field.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, well here, well, hey, I'll say Ward, I've seen him on the in the minor show.
Speaker 3: Good good, good, but hey.
Speaker 10: Man, great show, keep it up and let's go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, Felix, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, the Dodgers called up Ryan Ward today. So the plan is Dave Roberts joined us on the pregame show that Call and Ward will not have a strict platoon. They are going to split time in left field and Alex Call got the start tonight against Zach Wheeler. He'll be in there again tomorrow night against the lefty. Heyesus, Lozardo. Let's go out to Fresno. Manuel, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Manuel, David?
Speaker 8: What a pleasure? Greetings from Fresno.
Speaker 5: I guess the only other person I know from Fresno is Derek Carr.
Speaker 2: How about that Manuel you and Derek Carr and David Carr.
Speaker 3: There you go, buddy, he.
Speaker 8: David Carr.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know he's a legend in Fresno too. I'm just messing around, yes, Fresno.
Speaker 8: Hey listen. So going into tonight, I was hoping that that Robo would show up. I go, I hope it's just that a nice story for the first half of the season. But you know, he got rushed up by the Braves, he got rushed up by the Brewers, and he only had a good outing against the Angel So I was hoping for him.
Speaker 5: Dude, That's not true.
Speaker 2: That's not the only good outing he's had this year against the Angels.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about the last three, the last three starts. So I was hoping for the best. I'm not a negative guy, dude. I can honestly say this guy not only belongs, he should be pitching in the playoffs. I know, I know it's a long way to go, but that's the kind of moxie this guy has.
Speaker 2: And well, you're talking about a guy that pitched five times in the World Series last year and didn't give up a run. People forget about how big he was coming out of the bullpen. And remember he kept his poise in Game seven when Andre some Menez leaned into a pitch and started, you know, a pushing match with the benches clearing. Robleski was the guy on the mountain when all that happened.
Speaker 8: I know he's a stud. I'm not questioning that.
Speaker 2: That sounded like you were questioning it, Manuel, and you have seen the light of Robleski.
Speaker 8: Now, no way, no way. All that was all I was hoping.
Speaker 2: It sounded like you were about to deny Robleski three times before the All Star break.
Speaker 8: Manuel, I'm not judas man.
Speaker 11: I was.
Speaker 8: Maybe I was hoping the best, But now I know I'm convince I'm a believer. David go blae right, Manuel, your FANSNAS nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Buddy, okay, Manuel, thank you for calling in. Believe in Robleski. He's the truth. Justin Robleski now has pitched the second most innings of any other Dodger this year. Ya'm amoto in ten starts, has sixty four innings of work. Justin robl In nine starts, one out of the bullpen, so ten games, nine starts, sixty two and two thirds innings for the Dodgers, and he has a lower era than Yamamoto. Robleski's era to eighty seven with a record of seven and two. By the way, wins and losses do matter if you're a starting pitcher, and Fernando Vealezuela told me this many times. Fernando told me wins and losses do mean a lot for a pitcher because that means you're staying in the game longer. You're going deeper into the game to control whether or not you and the team win that game. When you hand the ball to the bullpen, that's when you don't get wins. But Robleski obviously has hung in there for a lot of these starts, deep into the game, and that's the reason why he leads all Dodgers with seven wins. This year, celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action, new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to te Luca Lake. Dave, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dave.
Speaker 12: DV Always a pleasure to talk to you, sir. Hey just want to get your take on the concern that maybe the Dodgers and the fans should have about complacency. You know, I know in the past when they were really boat racing all the other teams and had one hundred plus wins and they kind of went in the playoffs and got punched in the mouth and didn't get the chip. So I guess my question, has has it been talked about and what's your feeling on that. My second question would be, what's the name of the fella who's considered a top prospect for the Dodgers that just got injured. He tripped over a ball dog or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kendall George's Yeah, Kendall George. Earlier this week he scored on an RBI single by hoz Way Depaula while playing for Double A Tulsa. And I guess in the minor leagues they have dogs that are instead of bat boys, they're bat dogs. And the dog cut in front of George at the last minute and he landed awkwardly on his left leg and he got injured. I actually got a chance to catch up with Dodger GM Brandon Gomes and asked him about what's the status of Kendall George.
Speaker 13: I mean, he had a Beteller injury. We're still working through the different options of you know, how we're gonna proceed, but definite like definite injury, going to miss some time and how much kind of we'll be decided over the next week or so as we see different medical personnel.
Speaker 2: All right, So there's the latest update. It is an injury. He is going to miss time, but you hope that it's not too severe. So our thoughts go out to Kendall George. Such a freak accident. And Jacks of the California Post has reported that the Tulsa Ballpark has suspended using batdogs for the time being. So I think that's a that's a smart deal because things like this accidentally can happen. And like I said earlier in the week, the stakes are way too high now in professional baseball to have any of this, any of this happening, because he's a top prospect. We're talking about millions of dollars for him, we're talking about the future for the Dodgers, and you just can't have that happen. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number I want to share something with you from earlier today, our conversation with Dave Roberts and show hey Otani homeward for the second straight game. If you follow a few different MLB Twitter accounts, there's a great photo from Wednesday Night's game. After Otani let off the bottom of the first inning with a home run, it was Dave Roberts that greeted O'ti with the sunflowers seed celebration. Tomorrow night is Taoscar Hernandez bobblehead night with him and the arm action of the sunflower seeds. Taoscar Hernandez was not coming up until later in the bottom of the first inning, if at all, on Wednesday night, and it was Dave Roberts being the one that was shown throwing the sunflower seeds at Shoho Tani. So in our pregame conversation today brought to us by Downy Hunday, I asked Dave Roberts, what was that all about? Is that the first time you've ever been the guy throwing the sunflower seeds?
Speaker 11: I think I've done it before, but this situation, Paul Hayes was hitting two, so he was on deck getting ready to hit. Tao was in the cage he was, I don't know where he was. And then so for me, it was a big hit homer from Show Hey, and I'm looking around the dugout saying, who's got the seeds? No one had the seeds, So then I had to take initiative, Dave, get the seeds and greet show Hey with some seeds. And you know what's funny is I saw a little smirk out of them, even on a bitching day, so I think I surprised him.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 2: That's the story behind Dave Roberts being the guy greeting Sho Heo Tani after his leadoff home run in the bottom of the first inning on Wednesday night with the sunflower seeds. So we've how many managers would be on their toes for the celebration like that? Where's the rest of the group? You can't leave that up to Dave Roberts. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We'll check in with Jose Mota as well, we'll update you on Teoscar Hernandez and also the Dodger plans in left field, So a lot to get to as we roll on from you and a glow field that Dodgers state. After the Dodgers defeat the Phillies four to two on a five to seventy LA sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 14: Smith, the right handed hitter by Paul right field, and deep at.
Speaker 5: The Waltana home run.
Speaker 14: The Dodgers just keep hitting home run after home run Freeman in the first, Monthly in the second, O'tani in the third, and Smith leads off with a home run.
Speaker 5: On the fifth and the Dodgers league four to another.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers homered four times tonight off of Zach Wheeler to beat the Phillies four to two. Rick Monday and Charlie Stunner on the call to begin the game. Rick Monday and Steven Nelson closed out the game tonight as the Dodgers closed out the Phillies, and Tanner Scott no drama. Scott this year with a fifth save of the season, shutting down the Phillies in order. In the ninth inning, Justin Robleski goes seventh strong with his seventh win of the year and the Dodgers beat Zach Wheeler. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card visit a five seventy la sports dot Com used the keyword home run. Daniels Jewelers own the dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, Let's start with the man of the hour, Justin Robleski, who looked like Justin Robleski again tonight.
Speaker 3: He did, you know, the main thing was clearly the fastball usage. First twenty four pitches, sixteen fastballs. I think that was pretty much an indicator. And truly day before he found velocity, he found that he had confidence. He was reading swings. He knew that lefties actually have just had a little bit more success than rights against them, which sometimes justified, sometimes not. But I'm glad that you know these are not just any lefties. I'll talk about Shwarber obviously, you know, guys like Bryce Harper can do a lot of damage and walk you and make I should say they make you walk them because they were counts. But he was so affected with that fastball. You think about this, twenty four swings thirteen were missing a fastball and was up in the zone, down to the zone, and he worked very fast. The little twig that he met it to his delivery started back at Milwaukee. I noticed that the middle of the game where he was loading up a little bit more, not chasing velocity, but knowing that more left in the fastball is going to make everything else more effective. And it truly paid off here tonight.
Speaker 2: When you talk about confidence, how much more confidence can you get if you're justin Robleski and you strike out the side in order of Kyle Schwarber, Tree Turner and Bryce Harper.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a big ward, it's a beginning. It's also a big lift for him knowing that he doesn't have to go out there and try to be pretty in setting up hitters. You know a lot of times young pitchers like him, who was very smart, you know, I got to really sometimes he'll tell me, I overthink it. I got to get out of my own way sometimes. But if it's working, it's like, well, what's there to think about. You go out there and just make sure that they get to it. And Will Smith, as he mentioned in the interview with you that you played, he pretty much went, I want I'm not going to say against the card or against the report, but just saying the game plan was this, Let's find out what happened to the first inning, Let's see how he feels, and then go from there. Because when he missed with breaking balls that were just low enough out of the zone enough where he could have gotten some chases. But the main thing to me is just go out there and use number one. I was looking at his chart before the game with Louis Cruz and the Spiders rockcyesterday. I'm saying, there's like six pitches spread out here. A team like the Phillies, especially he's powerful to lefty guys. They want you to go out there and start twinkering and throwing all the kinds of things because eventually you're gonna have to give in in the zone. But he reduce it to three. I said, you got to reduce that to three. Three pitches one for velocity, one to separate one that they have to respect, another one just fading away with your change up, but the other one with some spin on the back for the rightings, which you just sold well against guys like Garcia to make sure and Alec Bam they were not getting good swings, and especially Day one, thing that really happened some broken bass against lefties. That means that fastball was rising up and in without him trying, which is also a nice weapon.
Speaker 2: Tanner Scott has made believers in a lot of Dodger fans. Jose, it just seems like he has a little something extra on his pitches this year, similar to the Tanner Scott we saw two years ago. Can you put your finger on why there's been such a drastic improvement this year.
Speaker 3: I think mentally he's in a good spot. Number two is that he had to himself make some adjustments with his delivery. Quite clear that he's not lagging with his arm with a breaking ball when lefties are here, you as well as they did last year against them, they're seeing the ball well and with two strikes you're not able to put them away. Go out there to look what the armslot is and if the guy that has the battles his delivery because Conner Scott is they got to push us off and drags. He's not a push off and drive down top of guy as a lefty. So when he dragged his arm and this is you know, explained to me by Connor mcguinnis it's hard to get on top of a slider, to just get behind the slader. And Kersh was there today and he can tell you he was not able to rip it down to the zone. This time he can get on top of us at a little bit more, shortening his stride a little bit more, says, allowing him to land Ulver's right leg much better to effectively have more extension. And extension is a big word for him. He needs it to go other and look like everything looks like a fastball to the very end. And that's where you're seeing a lot of swings against that slider where people think it's a fast one to the very end, which is what he did for so many years against these values that couldn't touch him when he was in the other uniform.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, let's switch to the offense. Four home runs tonight, including show Hey Otani homering in the third inning.
Speaker 5: Not only just hom ering.
Speaker 2: That was one of three hits for Otani tonight, which kind of indicates that he kept on promising May was his month, and it feels like May is starting to become his month again.
Speaker 3: Well the end, the numbers are going to be there for the month of May. I'm hopeing he'll carry it into the summer when the ball starts trying a little bit more. For show Hay, the effectiveness has been that he's trying less day. There's a connection between try and less going out there and hitting vp on the field to see what the ball is doing, and using the big part of the field. I mean, sure, he's nothing wrong with him being late. Sometimes he can hit a ball out the label, hit the ball far away, but when he finds left center field, left field line. Even the foul balls from show Hey are not foul balls where he's rolling so much over the baseball and fouling them off to the right side to the other dugout. Now you see more foul balls that are going to the left side. If Freddie Freeman lives to do And on top of this is watch how calm he is right now. The way he takes pitches is the way he swings about. I learned that from a guy that you know very well and you respect him. Kevin Kennedy, as my manager in Double A, says, the way you take pitches dictates a lot of how you're swinging. And right now where we're seeing for the show is he's taking pitches calmly, not overswinging, and just allowing sometimes to tell velocity to go out there and dictate what he does with the swing, which path he wants to take, and it's paying off for quite nicely. Frams hopefully carry this and to try and let us a little bit better for show at this point and we see the results they're happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what most great hitters always say. It's not about the swings, it's about the takes. And Monthsy's like that as well. He always says, you can tell when I'm going great, not by the home runs, but the fact that I'm taking my walks, and it starts to reflect in show.
Speaker 5: Hao Tani now too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, David, think about this. Your eyes are such an important part that I think, to me, the eyes are not paid. There's so much mechanical talk and swings and paths and all this. How about your eyes? How are you seeing the ball? It's one of the things you know. A good coach will us are you seeing the ball well? Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 3: You know, answer that question, and then you know. One of the drills people use for so many years was like twenty one will go and stem in the bullpen when got through bowling bullpens and just sit there and watch the bolt and track it in and telling himself, if I stay this quiet, look how nice the ball looks. Right. But it's hard to tell yourself that when you're competing the adrenaline you want to beat the Phillies or whoever it is, and you start jumping and not seeing the ball well. And with all this against a guy like Wheeler, you understand that he's going to give you something to hit, and the less you try, the better it is. And Wheeler saw the approach today started with Freddy his two seam fastball. The great game planning was don't look for it to sink, look for it to run. That's why you change your swing path in that direction, because you don't want to get under the ball. Get even with a baseball, and the results are happening. So game planning and all the instruction they got today on all the information gains a guy like Wheeler, well done. But the main thing is attacking Mrunley because with two strikes he's pretty much unheittable. Yeah, and the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers were able to get four good swings off of him tonight, four solo home runs off of Zach Wheeler to beat him in the Phillies. Jose, thanks a lot for the time. We'll talk to you tomorrow night. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies tonight four to two. Let's go out to Alex who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Alex, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hey, how's it going, David?
Speaker 15: Thanks for Jack McCall my pleasure. Yeah, I just wanted to say you no, real, yeah, real. Robleski he's just a beast man. I think he had a couple of rough outings early, but we got to just realize that this is who he is and give him some slack when he gets when he gets roughed up once in a while, but I think we got to know that he's gonna bounce back and be out there and carry us when we need him too, and just just who he is. So good to see him have a strong outing and gets another good picture like Wheeler tonight. And I want to just ask you real quick, it sounds like James TIMPs has been tearing it up in the minors. I was just kind was thinking maybe he might be the one to come up for tail.
Speaker 8: Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brandon gom So, we caught up with him earlier today. He was asked about that and he just said, yeah, he acknowledged that Tibbs have been playing well. But Ryan Ward has earned it. He's the PCL Player of the year. He's twenty eight years old, He's been waiting for his opportunity. He's on the forty man roster, so all those things factored into it. So you know, if you're not going to give Ryan Ward this opportunity, then you should just cut him loose. So the Dodgers are going to give him this opportunity. He's going to get an extended opportunity now with taoscar Hernandez out for at least three weeks, him and Alex call are going to split time in left field. But James Tibbs, he's done a fantastic job. Our understanding is he hasn't played the outfield the last couple of weeks, so maybe that factored a little bit into it. But really this comes down to right now, the dodd just need to hold down left field for the next three weeks, not have somebody take Tail's job for the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 15: I'm excited to see what Ryan Ward do too, So.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the phone call. It's amazing. Before Ryan Ward got his call up. When we were in Denver earlier this year, all I would hear about last year is why don't the Dodgers call O Brian Ward? Why aren't they calling O Brian Ward? And now they call up Ryan Ward And all I get is why didn't they call up James Tibbs. Why is James Tibbs still a triple A? It's like, come on, pick one, Okay, this is Ryan Ward's time. He's put in the work, he's earned it. Let's see what he and Alex call can do in left field.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: The reason why Ryan Ward is here is because te Oscar Hernandez sustained a Grade one left hamstring strain on Wednesday night that usually he takes about a month to come back from, and hamstrings are tricky. You don't want to push a thirty three year old with a history of growing and hamstring issues too fast either. I had a chance to catch up with Dodger GM Brandon Gomes earlier today. You heard what he had to say about Kendall George. I told you what he just said about the choice between Ward and Tibbs. And here's what he said about the injury to Taoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 13: Emri I read better than we had expected. So it's just tough, like the hamstrings are hit or miss. Like once he gets going or hoping it'll be a quick return, I'll try to get him some three habt bats last you know, when that happened last year. Probably rushed it a bit on that front. So we'll kind of get him treatment for the next however many days, and then as he starts getting into things, how he's responding, we'll see. But it's not as severe as we had thought initially.
Speaker 11: Much.
Speaker 2: You guys always built in the possibility for intries, but with an older team and the guys that have gotten hurt with ham strings and obliques are mid thirties. This is something that you felt like at some point this year you may have to deal with at a lesser extent, maybe more with some of these guys that are in their mid thirties.
Speaker 13: Not so much on the age. I think it's always front of mine to be able to build depth, because things happen and sometimes they time out when they're on top of each other. I wish if the the injuries being spaced out would obviously be a lot better, but that's uh, that's not how it works out. But luckily having a really good group in Triple A of depth position players and you know, the arms that have held up well, so you know, depending on how things work out, you can either go to Triple A or get creative in other ways. But right now we feel, you know, knock on wood, that are our depth is in a decent spot. So hopefully we can start to add guys without also taking guys away.
Speaker 2: And that's what separates the Dodgers from other teams. It's not just the high payroll, but the depth of their organization, not only at the major league level, but also at Triple A. Quite honestly, the Dodgers have four minor league outfielders that could be major league outfielders right now, So that area is the deepest of the position player group. But then you're able to send down a Hayesan Kim and call back up and Alex Friedland, and you're able to withstand the blows of losing Key k Hernandez after just coming back for two games and Taoscar Hernandez out now for a month. Another way that Brandon Gohm said is you can go outside the organization. The Dodgers did that acquiring Eric Lauer, who is phenomenal in his first start, to replace guys like Snell and Glass now until they come back. So the Dodgers are more than just a.
Speaker 5: Payroll team.
Speaker 2: It's not throwing money at players. That's not the only dimension of why they've dominated since twenty thirteen, but certainly a big factor. But a lot other of those teams don't have the organizational depth the Dodgers have. And speaking of that depth, when the Dodgers did active a Key Hernandez, they defaced Santiago Espinal well, Espinal cleared waivers, elected for free agency, so the Dodgers had to rework a new contract with free agent Santiago Espinal, who was on the active roster tonight, and the Dodgers sent down Hayesan Kim because he's been slumping. His swing has gotten more like last year than it did at the beginning of this year. And Alex Frielan now is going to get an everyday opportunity again at second base with some Miguel Rojas in there against lefties like tomorrow with jesus Lozardo. To be able to make room again for Espinal on the forty man roster, the Dodgers transferred Blake Snell to the sixty day il Snell was in the dugout tonight. That was good to see, probably going to be back in two minds after undergoing the Nanusco procedure that Trek Skoubel underwent at the hands of doctor Neil Elatrosh. It was a lot of Dodger celebs in the house tonight, Kershaw, Brad Paisley, doctor Neil Elatrosh. You had Don Mattingley back here. You had his son, Preston Mattingley, who was in the same draft class as Kershaw. Now the GM of the Phillies, and you had Dylan Hernandez here. I mean, I mean, who else would you want here? Oh yeah, my guy, the Hood, the Hood was here as well. Justin was in the house. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. All right, that'll do it for us. Tonight, Coming up tomorrow, game two of this three game series between the Dodgers and Phillies. Roki Sasaki will be on the mound with an ERA of four to ninety three a record of three and three, going up against left hander heyesus Lozardo, who is four and four this season with an ERA of four p thirty eight. Our coverage begins at six o'clock first pitch with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at seven ten thanks to Colinie back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, who already as warming up the car as we speak. It was a two hour and three minute game. Dwayne pumped the brakes. That's right, two hours and three minutes tonight with Robleski dominating the Phillies. Final score tonight Dodgers beat Philadelphia four to two. Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, see you