Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: David Vasse Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. In case you missed any of our show from this past Saturday at Dodger Fest, you can find that on the iHeartRadio app. And our next show will be on Thursday night at seven o'clock and we'll share some of those interviews with you that we couldn't share on Saturday, including Max Munsey and Miguel Rojas, So you don't want to miss that show at seven o'clock with Max Munsey and Miguel Rojas. But like I mentioned in our last segment, there are going to be more changes to rules in Major League Baseball to basically generate more offense. And we saw it in spring training last year, the ABS system where the hit or the catcher can challenge a ball or strike and you only have two per game, And talking to some guys that experienced this in the minor leagues, they believe it's going to force pitchers to come more into the strike zone. So we'll see how it plays out. But we are joined right now by one of Major League Baseball's observers. He certainly has observed a lot of baseball because he was an umpire in Major League Baseball for thirty seasons, three thousand, four hundred and thirty games. Umpired to be exact, and that is the one and only Brian Gorman. Brian, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That's great to be on.
Speaker 2: So as we get closer to spring training, pitchers and catchers are reporting the day before Valentine's Day, I felt like this was a good night to remind fans that there are going to be more new nuances to the game of baseball. How do you feel about this ABS system from an umpire standpoint?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is going to be big this season. The biggest thing that I see about the ABS system is the number of challenges each team have two challenges per team for nine innings is really not that many, so you really have to be careful when you use them. So the strategy is really don't be so selfish in using one when you got nobody on and two outs and then you think a pitch is missed and you challenge it, and then you're wrong and you lose that challenge where you have a guy on second and third and one out, you might want to be you use that challenge. You don't want to lose it. So now the pitcher, catcher, and batter have to do it immediately. There's no delay and there's no signals from the dugout or anything like that. So the batter, pitcher and catcher have to challenge it immediately right after the pitch is called. So that's that has even more strategy because you have to be careful when not to lose a challenge. So the situation is important, and you don't want to run out of challenges when it comes that you need one in the in the ninth inning, when you get some you're down a couple of runs and you have some guys on base.
Speaker 2: So just to be clear, you have two challenges for all nine innings. No challenges are going to be added in the ninth inning. What if extra innings occur.
Speaker 1: I think they have decided to maybe add a challenge. If you still have your two challenges left, there's no change in it. But if you're out of challenges, you're thinking about adding a challenge. You if you still have you if you have one challenge left and it's the top of the tenth inning, then you still have a challenge left. So the biggest thing is like, if you're right on a challenge and you get the call reversed, you keep that challenge. But there has to be a penalty or they would challenge every pitch for sure. So if you're wrong on the challenge and the and the umpire got it right, you're down to one challenge. So and so that's that's the strategy part of it.
Speaker 2: So we saw this in spring training last year. The spring training facilities that had you know, the video scoreboards, you would see where the pitch was and you would know pretty quickly. I know, you have to challenge quickly. How quickly is the process to keep the game moving, whether it's a ball or strike.
Speaker 1: That's the key. You have to do it immediately. So you have to be sure that the pitch was messed. If you just like, go, that was closed, I'm going to challenge it, you might lose that challenge and you'll see. You know, the umpires are so good that you know people all realize this. Ninety five to ninety seven percent of the pitch is called are correct. So when you use your challenge. You're challenging, you know, three percent of the calls of the pitches thrown that day, So you better be right if you want to if you want to save your challenges.
Speaker 2: That's the voice a veteran Major League baseball umpire Brian Gorman. Now, Brian, I've talked to players that have experienced the ABS system in the minor leagues, and the one thing they point out about this that may be a flaw is that David Vas say strike zone is different than let's say Brian Gorman strike zone. Does this automated strike zone take into account, you know, different batting stances like let's say Ricky Henderson or Pete Rose compared to Cody Bellinger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the formula that they came up with is going to be based on the player's height, where a percentage of the lower percentage of the strike zone is based on the on the player's height, and the upper percentage of the strike zone is based on the player's height, so will change depending on the taller player as opposed to a shorter player. East and West doesn't change. It's still the seventeen inches, so the higher end of the strike zone and the lower end of the strike zone will be adjusted for each player.
Speaker 2: Now, when you say a player's height, I mean Pete Rose was whatever he was, Ricky Henderson was whatever he was standing tall, But once they got into the batter's box and had that exaggerated bend over batting stands, their height was significantly different. Are we talking about batting stands height? Are we talking what they're listed in your program?
Speaker 1: We're talking. We're talking about the player's height when discussing the strike zone as this, if he's swinging at the pitch like you know, if you're a player and you just stand straight up, that has nothing to do with your strike sound. Your strike zone is determined as you're trying to strike at the pitch, So it changes lower in the upper end than the lower end because your knees don't go any lower. But as you as you strike and swing to hit the pitch, that's what determines your upper and lower of the strike zone. So this formula they came up with is you know they're gonna they're gonna go with it, so I hope it works. We'll see in spring training.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there might be some tweaks during the season, or is this the technology, the system depending on you know, if players start to complain about what they're actual strike zone.
Speaker 1: Is right, it's gonna it's gonna be an adjustment for everybody because they're gonna there's gonna be players saying, no, you know, my strike zun's too high or my strikes onus too low. But this is the formula can't came up with, and you know they have the ability to tweak it. But you know that's that's much higher than my pay grade when those decisions are made, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no doubt. Brian Gorman is our guest. He's one of Major League Baseball's observers. He's at Dodgers Stadium every game, watching the games, observing the umpires. And a guy that umpired three thy four hundred and thirty games. Now, Brian, I remember one spring training game that the Dodgers were playing and Austin Barnes, who is known to have a great awareness of the strike zone, challenge four consecutive pitches and got them correct all four. If that happens in a major league game, how much do does the homeplate umpires start to question himself? Is that one of the unintended consequences of technology that all of a sudden, a major league umpire may not have the confidence to call balls and strikes. Could an umpire go into a slump in that type of situation.
Speaker 1: Oh, without question, what I saw is I'm glad, I'm glad I'm retired when this happened. Yeah. It's like you get having, you know, first pitch of the game being challenged and you lose it. You know that would hurt you, that that searcher, you know, it gets in your head and says, oh my god, I got you know, two hundred and twenty five more pitches to call. But yeah, we'll see. I think, I think, I hope that what I said earlier about the ninety five percent of the pitches are called correctly. But I'm sure, I'm sure we'll have a situation where where there's you know, six or seven challenges early in the game and then and they've all been overturned, and it might be a long it's going to be a long night for some umpires.
Speaker 2: So Brian, on the flip side, this might be validation for major league umpires to say, hey, this is proof we don't need a Twitter account to show our scorecard. That's out there publicly. This will be proof that we're pretty good at our job, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's happened in the minor leagues. There were a lot of these challenges. I think only about half of them were successful, so that means that the other half the umpire got it right. So you're gonna see even the pitches that are missed are probably missed within an inch of the play either either they just catch the corner or they're just slightly off the corner and that pitch was challenged. You're not going to see the pitch that's you know, forced five inches outside that you know, because they you know. I'm sure it happens once in a while, but not very often.
Speaker 2: So have you seen how this works in minor league games?
Speaker 1: Brian, Yeah, yeah, I went to I probably went to about two dozen minor league games last year, and it's pretty good. I thought it would slow the game down. It doesn't seem to slow game down. I think I've only the most I've seen challenge was probably like maybe five or six a game, so I don't know what the average is, but for a nine to any game, I don't think that's many. And about half of those who were successful, and then then the other half the umpire got a right, So it didn't really affect the game time or that, you know, the enthusiasm of the fans raiming, and it just kind of banded a little bit to the strategy. And and you know, obviously the fans wanted and you know what the fans. What the fans want, they usually get. So that's, uh, that's why we all go out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people in spring training last year enjoyed it, so it wasn't It didn't get bad feedback. Fans enjoyed it. And Dalton Rushing, who had the unique experience of being a catcher and a hitter in the minor leagues with all this going on, was a little torn. When I asked him about this last year. He said, as a catcher, I don't really love it because pitchers are forced to throw more in the strike zone. But as a hitter, I love it for that same reason. Did you see more offense? Did you see the pitchers have to fill up the strike zone more?
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna spur a little offense. You know, in the long run, that's what they want, you know, they want more stolen bases. They love. About two years ago, they did a survey with all the players, and you know, the triple was the number one thing, and I think stolen bases was number two. So that's why they made the base the bases bigger, and they limited you know, step offs for pitchers, so people want to see runs. So that's why most of these these rules changes are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no doubt. Everybody loves the offense. Chicks dig the long ball, as they used to say when Mark McGuire was playing. Brian Gorman is our guest from the Canaje Valley. That's where he hangs out these days. But Brian Gorman's not only here to talk about the rules, He's here to talk about games at a umpire that involved Dodger history. Back in May of two thousand and two, Sean Green hit four home runs and had a major League record nineteen total bases. And our guy, Brian Gorman was behind the plate that day in Milwaukee. What do you remember about that day? As a home plate umpire and unbiased observer in that situation.
Speaker 1: He had a pretty good evening. It's kind of funny because to be part of history and you don't have to do anything every time he got to the plate. I don't even think I called the pitch on him. He swung him four of it went over the fence. So but yeah, he had a pretty good night.
Speaker 2: Are you aware as an umpire about a player having that type of game or are you focused pitch to pitch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know he broke the record until probably a couple of days later. Obviously, you know he's having a pretty good night when he hit the second home run, then he hit the third home run, then he hits his fourth home run. But apparently it was something like nineteen nineteen total bases and he had a couple of guys on. I think he set the RBI record and all that stuff. So yeah, he he ate his weedies that boy.
Speaker 2: I'll ask you this question too. Milwaukee is known as a hitters ballpark, as Sean Green can attest to. If it's a hitters ballpark, does that mean it's easier to see the baseball and the strike zone if you're a home played umpire in a ballpark like that.
Speaker 1: Not really. I think most of most of the ballparks have a good we call it background where they have you know, the green or the dark dark blue background where dead center fields. You know, the hitters use it as well. And most of the time these ballparks are pretty uniform with the background. Sometimes on a day game like and Wrigularly, sometimes they take some of the tarps off and they put fans in there, and that might make it a little bit difficult to track a ball, track a pitch, but most of the ballparks have good backgrounds.
Speaker 2: All right, good to know. Hey, Brian Gorman, thank you so much for coming on. You always educate us, and this is something fans should be prepared for because it's going to be part of their game during the regular season that matters. So it's just a good heads up on what's to come as we get closer to spring training. So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Interesting to see how this develops.
Speaker 2: No doubt. And maybe I'll see you up there in the Canejo Valley soon.
Speaker 1: I will be I will be out there. I'll be up in the press box. Have an ice cream?
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good, Brian, Thanks for the time.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you.
Speaker 2: There he goes major League Baseball veteran umpire Brian Gorman. He's what they call now a Major League Baseball observer. Basically, he's there to monitor the umpire, seeing how the flow of the game goes. He's not a supervisor, but a Major League Baseball observer, a man that umpired three thousand, four hundred and thirty games in his thirty years in Major League baseball. So thank you to Brian Gorman.