Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on AM five seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: It's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas terrible person, He's the worst.
Speaker 2: And Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 2: Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadakus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: Do you think you're not going to be sitting there with a hole in your sweater and a drink in your hands someday?
Speaker 4: Called me?
Speaker 2: Petros in Money AM five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app your home of the World Series. Champion Dodgers back in the World Series for the second consecutive year. They now know their opponent will be the Toronto Blue Jays and the World Series will start from the Gap and Motors Broadcast Booth at five eight pm on Friday in Toronto. We will get you ready for that first game. With off Day Dodger Talk tonight seven pm. David Vase will carry you through go through the matchup. The Dodgers roster will be set later this week. Roster will be sucked. But now that you know the opponent, Dave can dig in a three game series here in Los Angeles. Workout today, Yeah, workout today. Out there.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts is going to speak on a zoom call to the media and Freddie Freeman is going to speak on a zoom call to the media.
Speaker 2: Has he ever done in the World Series?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 3: I don't remember anything rememberable. You know, he's one of those guys regular season guy disappears in the.
Speaker 2: Post totally Kate not up for the big moment?
Speaker 3: Is that a three o'clock hour thing that all those guys are going to talk to the media, this.
Speaker 5: Media yet this hour with Dave Roberts, Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: I all going to talk to the media and.
Speaker 3: We can fire up the like Ahmad Jamal or Herbie Hancock or some cool high brow jazz because there's Laker action and you know what that means, Matt means James Worthy's back will join us at the bottom of the hour, and we got to figure out, Uh, ask you guys, how, if how and if we want to play this how and if we want to play what at three point thirty doing Great Sports Talk? What do you mean play well Great Sports Talk three thirty PM. I don't play school. I didn't come here to play school, Matt, I came here to play. We're paying sports talk. We're playing Great Sports Talk. Production is what we're playing because at three thirty pm, the return of the NBA on NBC will hit the airwaves, going into our pockets thunder. So do we want live in the moment to carry Arguably the most iconic intro song is John Tesh their Planet Live. Maybe I don't know, maybe he is. Look, we do our own thing. Okay, I'm not gonna sit there and jump on it's not a draft, it's it's not the if it's not it's.
Speaker 2: Not even the NBA. If it's a song that was written by John.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying we don't need to pick anything up unless it's a car chase or a draft. We can look, we can monitor it and see how they came in.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But we got James Worthy. We've been waiting for it yet he's not there yet. We'll have another conversation, but I'm not willing to commit to that case, not at this junction.
Speaker 5: I mean, if Worth he's late, I'm okay with going to it because, I mean, we.
Speaker 2: Don't even know what's gonna happen. We don't. That's why. Hey, sometimes you gotta roll the dice.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You got to live in the moment, got to see where it takes. You know what a big gambler I am. There it is. I was just live.
Speaker 3: It's gonna sound completely different live. You think it's gonna sound different, totally different. But it's not gonna happen like we want it to happen. I know what you want to happen. You want it to be black screen.
Speaker 2: And John Tesh comes out, sits at the pace. No you know what he does. He bounces the ball.
Speaker 3: So so Tesh is behind the stage what I want bouncing the ball in rhythm, comes out, sits behind the synth and then starts banging in exactly and then puts in the lyrics basketball, hand me the basketball because I'm gonna basketball or it's the heart of a champion, Jumpy on chompy on on Jumpy.
Speaker 2: No, it's not going to Marv Alpert. No, No, there's no Peter Vessi there to kissed everybody off, or.
Speaker 3: Pat O'Brien to be a douche. None of that is gonna happen. Larry Bird's not walking through that tunnel, and if he did, he be gray.
Speaker 2: And old, gray and old. There is a positive. Well, there will be no Marve Albert.
Speaker 3: There's a flip side to that coin.
Speaker 2: There is, and that is there's no amount of shot. Well, what about will Obey? There will be no will obey.
Speaker 3: She's like the chair, the head chair at the USC School of Annenberg.
Speaker 2: That's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what she does over there?
Speaker 2: You know she's married to right, Yeah, some rich ass dude, Bob Iger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the heart of a champiyond met.
Speaker 2: The NBA will return to NBC if James Worthy is late, or if we're late, which is more likely than James Bean late.
Speaker 3: We might be lately. We might miss it. Can we bust a break?
Speaker 2: Hen sho? No, Ronnie's back from Julian's nuptials. Congratulations to Ronnie. Beautiful family event from the fossios.
Speaker 3: Ronnie took like six days off or glad you're back, Ronnie, And congratulations on your Dodgers being a season ticket holder that you are.
Speaker 2: Indeed very excited, very excited. We were monitoring the game during all the jubilant festivity.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a it's only nine hundred by to get in for the World Series, so everybody's in good shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a real bargain. Yeah, what do I want? Do I want this inflatable water park for my children from Costco or do I want to go to Game three of the World Series?
Speaker 3: It probably Game three because that water park's just gonna end up all deflated and gross all around your I mean you might have two days old, Yeah, but the World Series is gonna last you a lifetime, that's right.
Speaker 2: Memories.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know it's interesting, Matt, because we spent the last week or so in the Dodger suite and we'll be back when the Dodgers and Blue Jays come here. It's gonna be a nightmare, but we spent the weekend.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be a nightmare. It's gonna be great. It's the World Series we went last year. Yeah, we went last year awesome. We went like three other times it was great. Come on, it's gonna be awesome the Petrosen money show at Dodger Stadium this postseason.
Speaker 3: Okay, Can I just say it's been one okay without being reprimanded.
Speaker 2: You're not You're the one that opened with it's gonna want to say.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say. It's gonna be a logistical nightmare. It's a logistical nightmare. Why to get in, to get the job, to get out? It is not that bad. The collected media on the ground is not that bad. Don't give me the way of that.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I don't like I don't I don't like doing it. It's too many people. At least you have parking.
Speaker 5: Petros I do the pregame show for one hundred and sixty two freaking games, forty five post games scam.
Speaker 2: For the month of October, and I'm told take a shuttle pal. So it's a logistical nightmare for you. Oh yeah, look who's on the list, mister Poppa Day Because there you go a lot piece, sir. I never show your spot there.
Speaker 3: I don't park there.
Speaker 2: We wash your car while you're at it.
Speaker 3: You threatened me. You said you were gonna kill me. You said, I'm gonna f and kill you. Last time I was there, you literally said when you found out where I parked.
Speaker 2: You didn't park in your assigned spot. No, I parked where I always park Oh, because you wanted to take his spot. He spuckd he parked where he parked. I tried to park there and they told me to beat it. There was a guy a lot Peace like Beatles like fun. I'll go to Lot B. I'm friends with that guy. So there you go. That problem solved. Now my guess is all three of us are going to have to take the shuttle come World Series time. Well, that's the and it's a freaking nightmare. Shut up, it's the worst.
Speaker 3: It's not that bad. The Dodgers are playing. If I'm at a shuttle, it is that bad. Unless I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl to see Frank Sinatra back from the dead.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be on a shut I don't think that's happening. Well exactly, I don't want to be on a shuttle. The hot Dog guys, you're like ape, what are you doing on a shuttle? Never thought I see you on a shuvel.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is the World Series is at Dodger Stadium. We're going to be back there.
Speaker 2: I see they have you at the Police Academy.
Speaker 3: There's going to be a nightmare logistically as far as the coverage and all that. It's going to be a dream here on a five seventy because we've done it so many times before.
Speaker 2: Hey, can you guys carpool maybe park at ricks and all go together? Oh, not a bad idea. Not a bad idea, Boss, And while you're there, I'll take a bean and cheese and a turkey burger.
Speaker 3: The point I wanted to make is that we'll be there with our press credentials and all that, but a lot of that. I listened to Scam this morning and there was a good chunk of talk and it blew Steve Sax's mind that Tim Kates was telling him how much get in tickets are for the World Series, and Steve Saxe was like, I just want to eat a hot dog and be left alone. It's like, well, yes, but you have to deal with this. You have to deal with this number before you get in and get your hot dog slathered in mustards, is what he said, and be left alone. So what the point I want to make.
Speaker 2: Is disney World the last pot you live in Disneyland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more popular than Wet and Wild, Almost as expensive too. The point I'm trying to make is we've talked the last couple of weeks. We spent time in the suite, and it's been a comfortable amount of time. And it's been more comfortable because we haven't been mother fed by our ex boss. But we have marveled at how much things cost, as far as food in the suite and why it's corporate. That's why it is a corporate.
Speaker 2: Audience.
Speaker 3: Corporate customers. That's a different type of money.
Speaker 2: But Kate's walts the park and he says, not in the pavilion, there's a drum out there.
Speaker 3: Right as the Dodgers advance in the playoffs, the crowd is going to become more and more corporate because those are the people that can afford World Series tickets in.
Speaker 2: The lows, even the pavilion.
Speaker 5: It's going to be like some guy who's like a former CEO at a fucking company, like, oh, this.
Speaker 2: Is my wife Helen here, we're sitting out here in pavilion company.
Speaker 3: See we are wife Ellen me Helen and I are with the Soussios. The Gordo's are over there. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're going to get that drum out there, Kate's. Oh, I'm going to go out there and you're gonna tell us it was like a soccer match. There was a drum out there. I can't wait. We're gonna hear it. I love it, It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So I'm getting pushed back on the logistical nightmare and the corporate nature of championships.
Speaker 2: Going by what Kate's has seen thus far through the playoffs through the eyes of a child. Hell, I think he wants you to hit the drum there. Dave tried to say that the crowd was too flat, and Kate's remember pushed back and said, I was walking the park, I was in the pavilion. Everybody was standing, and there was a guy playing a drum, had a whistle. Somebody had a whistle. Someone had a whistle.
Speaker 3: I heard Steven Nelson say that he commends David vass for putting the fans on notice because they were way better the next night because of what Vassa said. Now, how does that jibe with you Kate's in the pavilion beating the drum like a bitch.
Speaker 2: Well, stop us in the pavilion.
Speaker 5: We Our comment is we always stand, We're always making noise. We yeah, us pavilioners.
Speaker 2: Well he's standing because he's just walking me. Helen and the DeBie Dutson. Hello, I think that guy wants you to blow the whistle butt.
Speaker 3: Now that we know who the Dodgers opponent is, we got to keep it continue the same thing. Now, the Dodger series got so crazy that we didn't go back to something that enthralled us, which was the sweet ass Brewers song. The Brewers song was great. Now, did it help them win a game in the NLCS?
Speaker 2: Not a one.
Speaker 3: Did it help Pat Murphy from not looking really mad out there? No, he looked livid and helpless. But it was a great song.
Speaker 2: You're part of the team, sitting in ustans.
Speaker 6: Come see what's.
Speaker 2: Come, See what's come?
Speaker 3: See what guise a dude, common a cheer, a superstar.
Speaker 2: Feel the leader in the cheer.
Speaker 6: You're part of the teams.
Speaker 2: Catch the.
Speaker 6: Fever one.
Speaker 3: So that didn't help. That didn't help, But it was pretty much sweet song. The Blue Jays Your hands in your hands.
Speaker 2: You're part of the teams in Linda stands. The Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: This is very similar in a way that it's a new franchise to the Brewers. Yeah, it's a new franchise. The Blue Jays song is very similar to the Brewers song because it's a new franchise and they're trying to get some some some momentum going locally and they need a marketing song. And that was the same deal here nineteen the Brewers fevers eighty two. Now they started in seventy seven, right, the Blue Jays, And we'll have more seven Blue Jay's history as the day goes on and what they've accomplished in the past. But they have one World Series, two of them, unlike the Milwaukee Brewers. But that being said, they came out with okay Blue Jays in nineteen eighty three. It's an interesting story. They asked two local songwriters, a guy named Jack Lenz and Tony Kossenek. Neither of them had ever been to a baseball game at that point, just sowriting dudes. They were songwriting dudes. And the marketing guy for the Blue Jays at the time was like a Hosiers we've got to curtail expectations. So they literally just named the song because the guy in their meeting was like, the Blue Jays are gonna be okay, We're gonna be okay. So they named the song Okay Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So it's Okay Blue Jays and it's still quite popular. It went gold and it still plays at the stadium.
Speaker 2: Well in Canada. Gold is just one hundred copies. It says here, five hundred dollars what we have here? You're right, you know what. I'm sorry, I'm gonna be It's gonna be a day like you have to sell I can't be right today. Well, how many inuits do they have to sell it?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 2: You want to go gold? We need four inoits.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because usually to play a song, Kates doesn't have to run on a wheel.
Speaker 2: But for this one here.
Speaker 3: It is man, okay, blue Jack excuse me, yeah, okay, Blue James nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 6: Got a diamond.
Speaker 3: Stop it real quick, just real quick, you got a diamond. What happens here is because these nothing about baseball. They basically just explain the game of baseball. So for what they could understand, all right, here we.
Speaker 6: Got at.
Speaker 7: And that's not Oh you got the bleachers got them from springtail fall. You got a dog.
Speaker 6: And call, what are your wants? Let's play ball.
Speaker 3: It's not a fly.
Speaker 2: Ball, it's it's a seagull. Oh no, I never watched.
Speaker 6: Coming in from the lake just to catch the game. It's the last inning.
Speaker 7: Our guys winning. Dave stood down a smoker, I strike and you got no doubt.
Speaker 2: What are your wants?
Speaker 6: Let's play ball? Okang last, it's.
Speaker 7: So beautiful evening, this horrible part dog game starts warm summer.
Speaker 6: Reason some's going down. It's all dark with the ball pall.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: That's so light. It's a night game.
Speaker 4: Let's play playing another day.
Speaker 2: What you're telling game?
Speaker 7: Bring on a white Sox, ring on a bow Sox. Bring on the Brewers, Rangers.
Speaker 6: And the Yanks.
Speaker 4: They were in the.
Speaker 6: We'll be the Tigers.
Speaker 4: He so bad.
Speaker 6: Go make Billy Blue.
Speaker 2: Audio, Billy Martin.
Speaker 6: Let's play ball.
Speaker 2: Sons likely have an exploration tat on. Nobody expected it to be the hit that it was. No, I can understand why, I for one, listen, but it's a big air. It's a huge Egla play bomb and it's definitely got a Randy Newman vibe to it.
Speaker 3: Red does but and you know Randy Newman does that.
Speaker 2: I love l a the first half of the song explaining you got a diamond and nine man, you got nine.
Speaker 3: Mant a hat and that's not all you got.
Speaker 2: Bleachers, you got a drink in your head. You got a dog? Is that a fly ball?
Speaker 3: No, it's a seagulls from the lake just to cats a game.
Speaker 2: God, maybe you black Emperor? What a fritten? A more uplifties than that? Why okay?
Speaker 3: Are you just gonna squat down, defecate on everything?
Speaker 2: Loved the Brewers song. I love the Phillies, I love the Reds. Got nine man, got nine men at.
Speaker 6: And that's not all you got. The bleachers got him from spring till fall. You got a dog, drink.
Speaker 1: And call.
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 6: Let's play ball? Is that a fly ball or a seagull? I have that coming in from the lake just to catch the game.
Speaker 7: It's the last in a guys winning Dave Spook down a smoker strike and you got no doubtar?
Speaker 2: What are you that's Dave? Steve?
Speaker 6: Let's play ball?
Speaker 3: I think it's not Steve Dave.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they were still struggling. You know, they had a rough go to the start of the franchise. They were just ans the team, they were just okay. So maybe it was like, maybe we just got to explain the game to people that are just watching.
Speaker 3: Out their two guys that knew nothing about the sport.
Speaker 2: And I think the lyrics suggest as much, would be my takeaway.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: Two individuals are mentioned by their given name only. The first is Dave Steve also known as Steve Dave, about whom the song states, Dave's put down a smoker and You've got no doubt, and then in parentheses it says yeah. The second individual mentioned is Billy, referring to Billy Martin, who had been the manager of the Oak Athletics in eighty two and had his third stint as manager of the Yankees in eighty three, and it says, we'll beat the A's so bad it'll make Billy blue. The song ends with the sound of a bat swung by Willie Upshaw striking a baseball.
Speaker 2: Interesting, and you say they still play it today. That is still popular today.
Speaker 3: It is still talked about in the leagues today. It is still the blue Jays song of record, and it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think if we're ranking them Brewers number one with a bullet by quite a wide margin, and then I think we can start to have our debate.
Speaker 3: After they used a local Canadian to sing it, and the band he put together to do it, the bat Boys. Oh, Keith Hampshire or Hampshire and the bat Boys.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they ever did anything else. Well.
Speaker 3: Hampshire recorded three songs which were top ten hits in Canada and hosted the CBC television show Keith Hampshire's Music Machine.
Speaker 2: He's got a music machine. Yeah, so yes, these people.
Speaker 3: Do great success, Matt, all right, they just do it a little differently up there.
Speaker 2: Okay, Blue Jays, let's play ball. I think.
Speaker 3: Jack Berry did some good things, you know, Stevie ray Vaughan. But you also got a tip a hat to Canada when they're putting out great stuff like this and Alanas Morsette.
Speaker 2: It's all dark at the ball and Brian.
Speaker 3: Adams it's okay, it's a nid night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all right. I think you're speaking to like, hey, guys, I know that it's dark, but they have lights so you can still come to night games, buy your tickets to the Blue Jets.
Speaker 3: You know, Matt, not everything has to be a complicated message. It's a very simple message.
Speaker 2: Well, I just want to clap my hand. I stop my feet and clap my hands. I want to be part of the team. Sitting in the state it sucks a bow side.
Speaker 3: I don't have to deal with the logistical nightmare of getting into Dodger Stadium and getting out until next week though Monday.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be a nightmare. It's gonna be.
Speaker 3: You're just saying that because I said it would be.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: The only reason you're saying that is because I said it.
Speaker 2: I believe. I believe that year.
Speaker 3: Every day leaving the Dodgers games during the playoffs, I text you this is horrible, and you text back.
Speaker 2: It's the worst thing ever. It's chaos. And now all of a sudden it's the World Series and I get monished. Getting in is easy. It is the easiest We've ever had it for you. Everybody knows us. It's we have been held at the gate. We have been what lister you on? Who puts you on the list. There have been phone calls made yeah, that, which is why I'm this has been easy. This season's been great. On the way in, Dave Weeese has been an extraordinary Hello, so speak for yourself. He gets us the fruit plate. The food is there early for us.
Speaker 3: The fruit plate, he gets us the hot dugs.
Speaker 2: The food is not late. Crag Craig is there with the microof full. Big Brad is waiting for us. In the first segment, like it's been great, that's not drinking alcohol. And then on the way out, it's a little bit of a challenge. I was reprimanded, yelled at, threatened by a traffic person. I didn't appreciate that, and a motorcycle cop.
Speaker 3: You're just gonna further prove my point the longer we go. But outside of maybe we should go to break.
Speaker 2: Outside of that, I felt, well, yeah, we gotta go to break because we got to get back three thirty. We're not doing that. Not if Worthy's ready find up, is he gonna be ready?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Dude, Lakers playing the Warriors tonight, Warriors dig Rockets, thunder. Well, I don't care about anything but the Clippers. You got nothing to care about till tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I wonder if getting in and out of the Englewood Stadium will be a logistical nightmare.
Speaker 2: It's been so easy thus far. No, move your face, move your face over here? Wait, no, come over here. Did you download the app? Are you sure? Did you tie a credit card to the app?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: I just say there's a warn out for your arrest a hot dog. Oh, somebody piggyback you. That's a problem we have. You're gonna have to file acclaim.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, who isn't excited about the Toronto Blue Jays Dodgers World Series Canada versus the US? Okay, Hollywood versus Toronto Blue Jays. Let's playball. Those lights have to be burning the hell out. Adam Silver, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: He's a hologram.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have James Worthy on. He's gonna be on time. We're not gonna We're not gonna go live.
Speaker 2: Listen, John Tesh is gonna be there. You watch for the walker. You watch. We'll be right back with more petros, some money. We're gonna miss it. We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer.
Speaker 1: Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all summer with LA Sports. That's just some money five seventy LA Sports live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It it's time for our basketball conversation to begin for the twenty five twenty six campaign, and that is brought to you by the twenty twenty six Ford f one fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It is time to see Ford in a new light.
Speaker 3: James Worthy right on time, joining us on the Petros and Money Show as the NBA kicks off again, I mean tips off again, and there's nobody like James Worthy Big Game. James is an ambassador to the city of Los Angeles for pro basketball and specifically the Lakers.
Speaker 2: I think the Lakers could win it. Many do.
Speaker 3: Forget about all these other stupid questions. That's the question now.
Speaker 2: The Lakers win it.
Speaker 3: A Finals, MVP, multiple championships with the Showtime Lakers. Emmy's eternal celebration for one of the greatest NBA players of all time and a champion of the NCAA tournament as well. He knows nothing but greatness and also at Jazz aficionado, our dear friend James Worthy on the Petroson Money Show.
Speaker 2: What's crack of James? How are you here?
Speaker 4: We go? Here we go, always exciting to get things going, So why not get it started? On the Petrosen Money Show.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: And where we really appreciate you doing it. Say hi to Geeter for us and everybody else over there in El Segundo. But give us a little vibe on you know. I mean, I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what's gonna what the team is like, or what might happen when the season starts. Do you feel differently this year than you have in the last few years?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, given the fact that they they had like half a season with Luca last year and they were able to get to third in the West, which was, you know, kind of impressive without a d without a REMP protector, and then they met their fate in Minnesota. So I think it's nervous. I think it's nervous time because you got a full year with with Luca. Lebron will come along a little bit later. You got a center in Ayton who's who's revived and trying to revitalize his himself. Remember he had great years at Portland. I mean, I mean at Phoenix, not so good at Portland. So, uh, he's capable, he's young. You got Marcus smart, Uh, you know, a guy who's good for the locker room, like a real dog in there, who's gonna you know, lead by example and and we'll be able to speak, you know that knowledge. And then you've got you know, Austin Reeves on the last year of his deal motivated. You know, Ruey's got a lot of people. So you know, they they have the pieces and they have the team. It's just a matter of are they gonna be able to compete in a you know, in a very tough West Conference. But I think the opening night with Luca healthy and and uh, you know, ready to lead, you know, without Lebron. Last year they fared pretty well when Luca was on the floor. I think they you know, they they did okay without Lebron. So it's just going to be interesting to see how they come out of the blocks and what JJ Reddick has done to implement you know, new players and how they're going to play their roles.
Speaker 2: James, what have what have you seen kind of thus far? Practice? Preseason. I know it's not a lot, but just from the new look Luca cutting weight, getting in shape because you know, I know people would get on him for for being heavy, but that seemed like is what he used to his advantage, right, He was like Jokic, just pushing people around, using that weight to throw defenders off of him. How much do you think his game will change, if at all? And and do you think it's for the better? Do you think it'll it'll hit him at all that he's got to make some sort of adjustments or what he I think we'll see from him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you. I remember Jokic, you know he was, you know what wasn't in like the best of shape and then he figured it out, but he still had his weight on him. He still had you know, muscle, and he just he's a people mover. That's how That's how yokis and you know, uh, Luca is similar. I think he still has his strength even though he didn't have you know, the weight that he has. He still has. You know that he's still tall, he's still massive. You know, Larry Bird was kind of like that, you know, didn't you know he wasn't like you know, super quick at getting around people, but knew how to create space. And I think, I think what I've seen look at this far, it's it's going to benefit him, you know, especially on the defensive ND. He's he's not gonna get his tired, he's not gonna have that extra weight, you know, to carry around, and uh, he still maintains his strength and ball handle the skills. I haven't seen him skip anything. So I'm hoping that he'll be able to you know, sustain a little bit more less injury, be stronger down the stretch in the fourth quarter, which he already is, but you know, going along with this team, being more of a leader. I see, I see him. It looks pretty good, you know what.
Speaker 2: You know, the talent, I mean, you saw it in the playoffs. He helped the Sons get to an NBA final a few years back, but for whatever reason, it got derailed. But we know what it looked like for these Lakers in the postseason. They needed a big and they did not have one, and it certainly cost him that series. Kind Of what have you seen so far from Ayton from that position and how much of an addition that can be and how much that's going to help this team out.
Speaker 4: I see a willingness, and I see a guy that understands you're in Los Angeles now. When I think when he was in you know, Phoenix, I think he was you know, I think maybe when he was like twenty two years old. He's like sixteen points, twelve rebounds, you know, help a team get to the finals. So he knows how to play. And I think being around you know, a successful franchise, a franchise that demands it. You know, when you come to Los Angeles, you're on the microscope every night. And what I saw in media day was his understanding of that. He knows he's got to be a defensive wizard and also be a threat offensively. And I you know, in a few games that I've seen, I've seen the effort, and you know, he's he's a pretty smart player. And I said this before. Guys, they start to peak around twenty seven twenty eight, So you got Luca at twenty seven eighton had you know, he's he's got to get it done here. It's just he knows that this is Los Angeles. You know, when you look at even guys like Dwight Howard or JaVale McGee. Those guys got it done when they were here and not to mention know a D and uh some of the other grades. So yeah, he's he's in a he's in a good situation with Luca. He's with a good team, a good organization, and you know he's he's gotta he's got to prevail.
Speaker 3: What do you think the Lebron situation will end up like this year? He's out right now. I mean he's old and he's not in his prime like those other guys that you mentioned, but still plays at a high level. But he's got a sciatica. It just sounds like an old man injury. Uh, because it is what what do you think is gonna happen? How much will he be able to contribute when he contributes?
Speaker 4: You're right, it is an old man. I've had it for like three years. It doesn't go away either. It's just the golf man. It's no, there's no stretch the can can get rid of it. But you know, I think you know, look Lebron for a long time, you know he had he had, you know, father time on the ropes. You know, in fact, he's still got Father Time backing up. You know he's ropidoping father the time. I mean, I think, you know, we don't know, you know how off season, you know how his body feels, you know, And and I think he's just gonna survey. He knows his Lucas team now, I think Lebron knows that, but he wants to win. Lebron wants to win. He's he's he's got that one chance to win. So he's gonna be observing. He's gonna be taking a look at the team and and seeing how you know, things unfold with you know, without him. Uh, I think it's gonna take a lot of bit of a lot of the leadership. Uh you know, roll away from him. You know, he's he's gonna settle in and just play accordingly. But he's got to get healthy first. He can't come out there and you know, be seventy percent. At his age, he's got no records to just set anymore. Uh So I just think he's gonna take it easy and see how to sound and folds and then make decisions accordingly.
Speaker 2: James the U we've seen it right, like we know that that Luca and when Lebron's out there, he'll be fine and play at a very high level. Austin Reeves can score. It's kind of been those those role players, right, whether or not they hit or miss on those as to whether or not this team has found success this last let's just call it like half decade or so. So what about you know, the new guys we already talked about Aton You mentioned Marcus Smart there at the start of the conversation and just getting that perimeter defender and heck that guy can guard one through five and Jake Laarravian's out of DFS. Just kind of what have you seen from you know, if you want to call him the glue guys? Or are the guys that tend to with this particular team to make a difference. Are they the right guys that they got?
Speaker 4: Well? I think so. I mean I think you know, when you look at like some of the guys that they've had already, like like Gabe Vincent, I think, you know, Gabe is is really healthy this year, healthy that I've ever seen him. And you know he's going to be you know, he's he's going to be solid, you know, veteran guy. Uh, you know, it's gonna be insting to see what they do with you know Dalton connect you know this year. Uh, he's the guy that you know, was in that trade situation uh with with Charlotte didn't turn out right, and he just you know, he just really didn't come back you know the way he you know what the way we we wanted him to. He is a great shooter. Uh. And so we'll see, you know, Jake, you know the new kid we got. I like him. He's solid. Jaclar Rasia, he's solid, he's smart, he's you know, he he doesn't try to speed you can't speed him up, you know. And so it's gonna be interesting to see how the playing times is with you know, with with with those two players. Marcus Marcus smart Is He's gonna be great. It's gonna be great for the locker room. He's gonna be greatful when you're on the plane, when you're on the bus, he's gonna he's gonna do on the right thing to say. And thus far, he's the only guy I've seen like on the floor, you know, dive into loose balls. And Uh. The one other guy that I think is you know, really it's going to be good, is you know, because he's healthy again, is uh is Vanderbilt. You know, he's going to get to go back to playing you know, some of his original ball without having to go out and guard centers and power forwards like they needed last year. So Ja Ja's got to He's got a lot to play with. It's just gonna, you know, it's gonna It's going to depend on, you know, the combinations the style. But I think he's going to be leaning toward what works the best on defense and then can we get the three balls to go down consistently. I think those are the things that I think that the team will be looking for now.
Speaker 3: James, you're going to be looking clean tonight on TV. You look clean on TV in a nice suit. You know, you look good within the eighties, back in the day and beyond. Uh, if you were playing now, I guess you'd be like really, I mean, you have to really concentrate on what you're gonna wear. The way they cover these guys walking into the stadium, you know, they're dressed up like it's like the Golden.
Speaker 2: Globes and they're going to space. Yeah, what do we uh, just what are we doing?
Speaker 4: I just I just I just saw, you know, I just saw some you know, I don't know, man. I've thrown some wings like the male version of Victoria and no shirt, and some and some edwards scissor hands, you know, hands that come on through, you know, with a with a wow wow, with a wild wow. James betsone. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I come with it, man, that's a perfect us.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'd show up on the seventh that tonight, James, what the hell? Let's go?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, hey, NBC, NBC has it tonight, but we do have three games and postgame. We just don't have halftimes.
Speaker 3: You still look clean but not ridiculous. We love you, James, and we can't wait for the other start. Yeah, there he goes James Worthy. Everybody a real star.
Speaker 2: Worthy and our coverage of the Lakers brought to you by the twenty twenty six Ford f one fifty from California's best selling truck brand. It is time to see Ford in a new light.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll have more to offer when we come back from break.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing. We were running late. Very very happy we were running late. Is there another hill you'd like to die on? Math Oh, let me tell you something. There is a rotting carcass on that hill, because that that person that tried to stand on that hill is now dead. They had a great opportunity and they really did, and they missed it. And they and they didn't just miss it. They blew it. Yeah, they blew it. They peed all over it, and then they pooped in their hands and threw it at our face.
Speaker 3: What they're doing here is not what we expected, what we wanted.
Speaker 2: It has been a twenty It has been a seventeen minute fashion show. Fashion show, not exaggerating seventeen minutes. They have shown players walking.
Speaker 3: In there like I'm watching entertainment tonight.
Speaker 2: And now they've got Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter.
Speaker 3: Access Hollywood if you want to talk about nbcvia.
Speaker 2: Right, that's all they've done. Look what you guys wear? Isn't this great? I'm gonna wear something crazy. These guys are wearing stuff that's crazy. How crazy is all this crazy stuff we're wearing. Let's laugh about it.
Speaker 3: This T shirt costs one thousand dollars. Let's be relatable.
Speaker 2: The season tips off in twelve minutes. I didn't seen the basket of minutes. That's the first basketball highlight I've seen it ten minute. That's it more to come. What a disaster, what an abject failure.
Speaker 3: But Matt, you you pumped it up. I was excited. I thought task was gonna come out right, Bubba buh bah bah basketball.
Speaker 2: And then dead. We got a Maria Taylor v oh.
Speaker 3: We got twenty seconds of the song we wanted and a bunch of stupid looking outfits. That's all we can literally out.
Speaker 2: Get it back to TNT. You're ont NBC. I don't know how they recover from that. They can't. I believe much like a marriage, you can get an annulment. That we are in this early window where we can get and we can get this relationship annulled.
Speaker 3: We still have a chance, though at the Dodger Stadium parking lot, for that to be okay.
Speaker 2: Exactly right. We'll be right back with more. Good about that. I feel great. They have got a positive vibe this year.
Speaker 1: Bet Hello, PMS listener, did you know AM five seventy. LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts.
Speaker 2: There's Rogan and Ronde. That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger podcast of record.
Speaker 1: Clipper Talk without a Musk follow us all and many Just go to a five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Special Some Money, Big thank you to James Worthy. We have three pair of tickets to give away throughout the course of the show to Thursday Night Football. You'll hear it on our sister station KFI AM six forty Chargers Vikings at Sofi Stadium. Let's do the first pair now. If you want to go eight six six ninety seven two five seveny. Tickets are available at chargers dot com slash tickets. Thursday night, five point fifteen pm kick justin Herbert, the Bolts, the super Charger, All navies will be the uniform choice and Chargers Vikings. So if you want to go eight six to six nine eight seven two five seventy first to three pairs we're given away. We'll do it right now to Chargers Vikings Thursday night at so Far.
Speaker 3: All right, we don't have a lot of time. I'll read you a couple of fine.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by your Sokel Toyota dealers.
Speaker 3: We make it easy. We need a Dodger song. You guys are the Dodger station. It should be playing a Dodger song. P that's from Isabelle call is he Dog?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 3: We have I Love l A by Randy Newman. That's the the whole point, Like, that's a great song. It's synonymous with the Dodgers, other than Half Nelson's La You Belong to Me one of my favorites. And Tim effing Kate's the fing f he lost it. No, he puts Jerry Royce on today And all I ever asked for the last three years during scam when Jerry Royce comes on, ask him about his appearance and Half Nelson, the Joe Pescy.
Speaker 2: With Dean Martin and he didn't Bubba Smith and he didn't. No, he forgets, like, oh I knew I forgot something was Larry Holmes in that wasn't there Larry.
Speaker 3: Like all kinds of like and Jerry Royce was in it. Yeah, and Tim Kates did he do it?
Speaker 2: No? I forgot him. Sorry, I'm dan, Yeah you didn't forget to yuck it up with Steve Sachs talking about the shaving cream pie to his face. But do you know about that, man? Because I was, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Were all scam listeners and we all like, don't listen to scams. You can listen on the Clippers app on the iHeartRadio. It comes through loud and clear.
Speaker 5: Somebody called me while I was on the air and I was screening the calls to and uh. I got the guys like, hey man, I can't hear you on the app and I'm gonna have to go to work and like, how do I listen to scam?
Speaker 2: I said, Clippers app? Yeah, Clippers Yeah, that's the cheat code. Everybody. You don't have to listen to Dan Patrick talk about the Patriots. But that is incredibly interesting, no doubt, incredibly well.
Speaker 3: What was incredibly interesting was Matt and the Matt sold us at the beginning of the show. First he said, it's it's going to be easy for us to get in and out of Dodger Stadium for the World Series. He feels great, he feels positive. He admonished me, don't you wave your hand at me. So we have that.
Speaker 2: And then Matt said, what are they going to do to start the NBC. It's the return of the NBA and NBC. It's been twenty years, Like, what are they going to do? Are they gonna have Tesh bouncing a basketball? Like we started talking and what happened, Matt, what happened? Bad things? They played the song, well they didn't. They came out with a cold open. Yeah, it was a cold open, Maria Taylor Fashion, a fashion based cold open, and it was a blimp shot of the arena in Oklahoma City. She stumbled, yeah, the defense, the defending champs and this and and then bang fashion show. Well no, then bang fashion. Oh yeah, I'm sorry, you're right. Fashion walk in the moment.
Speaker 3: They did fashion before they played the.
Speaker 2: They did the fashion walk walking in and then we get this cool digital peacock. Here comes the song and I'm like, here we go. I think we're gonna see Tash maybe Michael Jordan fifteen the song and then cut inside pay Core Arena, Maria Taylor, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady AND's.
Speaker 3: Kick her arena, Matt, Yeah, say it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then she did a sit down with Chet Holmgren, Jalen Williams and Shake Gil just Alexander about they wear, yeah, literally, about what they like to wear for twelve minutes. That's not an exaggeration. And the season is kicking off right now between the Rockets and Thunder, and we got thirty minutes of Fashion Talk.
Speaker 3: This text says John Tesh was on the Today Show this morning and he looked terrible early years old.
Speaker 2: How old do you think John tushes right now? Seventy three? Cash dude, seventy three years old. Yeah, it's the heart of a CHAMPI beyond the basket, mauck. Did he bounce the ball? Did he sit at the piano? That's not what I read. I don't know what and see it.
Speaker 3: This says I don't think Kate's really forgot about asking Jerry Royce about half Nelson Pe.
Speaker 2: I think he's like f that fool pe.
Speaker 5: No, that's not true, because I needed another question and I was like, dang, what can I ask Jerry Royce?
Speaker 2: I would have totally asked m Yeah, I know, and I know what that extra question was, because it sucked. It was like it was like what was it? It was like, uh, I know, it's funny you say that because the last question was like he and Sacks were grabbing ass ye and it was just something like yeah, man, that was wild. Like one of those Sacks pulled.
Speaker 5: A stunt on him when he was doing a postgame TV interview and I said, uh, had you ever get Sacks back.
Speaker 2: Did you ever pay it back on him, you know? Or is he still have his head on a swivel.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: That was a good one because it led to the story that Saxy told about what a great guy Royce was and how their first nationally televised game, he called Sacks to the mound and Sax was all freaked out like he did something wrong, and Royce just said, hey, man, I know it's your first time, your family's probably watching. I just wanted to get some more camera time that get the hell off my pitching mound. Yeah, And then you followed it with something stupid like, yeah, Jerry, you awesome, when you could have asked him about Nelson.
Speaker 3: That's not what I read. He blew it two years in a row, blew it at least two free he blew it.
Speaker 2: You gotta Royce on our show, now, La, I'll get them on for sure. You belong to me? Yeah, of course we do, all right, we gotta ask about half of Jerry Royce. I don't remember. Well, here's the scene it is. How about now? It's all available on YouTube, sir, still don't remember.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with your word number. Song of the day, God the NBA. NBC sucks. Yeah, they screwed this up.
Speaker 2: They freaking they blew it. It's not hord Stead. I got Maria Taylor and jeans the size of Oklahoma talking about remember when you were this? Oh, Jamal, check this out. It's you on the day.
Speaker 3: What about accessories? How do you feel about glasses that aren't really glasses?
Speaker 2: Well, Chet, you're wearing those fake glasses right now looking like Marty mcflas.
Speaker 3: How much does your stylist rob you every year by dressing you like a clown and running you.
Speaker 2: Into the stadium. Interesting you say that wearing a couch cushion on your face.
Speaker 3: Come on, you ain't seen nothing like the mighty NBA on NBC. We will have your word number song coming up. It is a two out model Tuesday on Petro Somebody