Speaker 1: All right, it's Mojo in the morning.
Speaker 2: I was talking about how I'm going to this radio conference, the radio boot Camp Morning Show boot Camp. I got to ask a quick question. Do we have any bartenders that are listening to the show right now? I want to ask them this question. If we've got any of them listening, Lydia put them through right away.
Speaker 1: If they do, call So let me explain how this thing works.
Speaker 2: This place that we go to, we go to a just like you know a lot of people do you have a convention, but the conventions and a hotel like in their ballrooms and they have the meeting times all set up and stuff. But truly the different sessions and panels that they have are good. But the best things that you get at going to this thing is hanging out in the hotel bar. So hanging out in the hotel bar and getting a chance to talk to some people that are in the business, you know, like radio, other radio people, podcasters, television people have gone in the past. Uh there's been musicians like like in the last boot camp that I went to, uh, Lydia and I were so surprised we saw reality television stars because it was in La So there was a lot of reality TV stars that go there, which, by the way, I feel bad for reality TV stars because there's nothing Matt matt Ishba said something interesting one time. Matt Ishba said, you'd rather be rich than be famous because of a reality television star is just famous without being rich. And honestly, that's the truth. That the whole thing, because a reality television star doesn't necessarily make a lot of money, but.
Speaker 1: They're at Morning Show boot Camp, they're not rich.
Speaker 3: I cane you that there were a couple of the bachelors and bachelorettes that came because people come to the Morning Show boot Camp because there's potential advertisers for like their podcasts and things. Okay, the box, all right, so so let me let me talk talk why I want to talk to the about the bar thing. So, like I'm going with Lydia and Bianca. They're gonna both be there with me and we're gonna all hang out and we're gonna hang out around whatever the hotel bar is at this Hilton or whatever in Cleveland. And usually when I go to a bar, I will buy drink for myself, drink for Bianca, drink for Lydia. But I'll also buy, like, maybe a round for a few of the other radio people that are there. When you buy a round of drinks at a bar? Do bartenders hate it when you say When they say would you like to open a tab? I always say close it out. I don't like having a tab open.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna tell you a couple of reasons why, and maybe you'll convince me that I'm doing this wrong. I always feel like when I have a tab open that I'm gonna end up spending more money. But am I spending more money by paying you out and tipping NonStop throughout the evening and doing like four or five of those? And do bartenders hate when you do the Hey? You know, just do a uh? You know, just close me out.
Speaker 4: When I go to the bar, I'm always scared to leave a tab open, So if they ask the question, I'm immediately like no, and then I start to order more after I do that. I'm not tipping crazy every time because I know I'm going to consistently order more drinks. I will tip every time, but it'll be incremental that will accumulate at the end of the night to one larger tip.
Speaker 1: If I just kept the tab open. Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: But mine's more so also because when I'm ready to leave, I'm ready to leave next.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to go find them wait in line, like I just want to go.
Speaker 2: Do Kevin, go back to that you're feeling uncomfortable having a tab open. Do you feel uncomfortable having a tab open because you think the bartenders going into the back and buying things online?
Speaker 4: No, I just one of the issues I guess I have or insecurities. I don't like somebody else being in possession of my card, so just to like give away the ownership of my card is like, I don't need to do all of that. Just me and we'll play this time. I definitely have a card.
Speaker 1: Didn't you lose your wallet? Shut up, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like, honestly, them having my possession of a card too. I like, just swipe it and give me the card back, Like why do they have to have the possession of the card and they hold on to the card. It makes me feel like they're doing something wrong with it, you know, Like I'm gonna get next thing, you know, I'm gonna have like some lady in Indonesia that I bought something.
Speaker 1: For you know.
Speaker 6: Also, I've never thought about this yet that but like, people know who you are, and people know who you are. So if I'm at the bar and I'm like, you know, not not a good person, I could go up at the end of the night and be like, oh I want can I I need my card back? What's the name Anna Rob? And they give you They give me Anna's card? Has that ever happened?
Speaker 1: That would be crazy?
Speaker 7: How do they know that I'm not Ana Rob?
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 1: That would be crazy.
Speaker 2: Let's ask the bartender of this song with us, Carly here right now, Carly, I need your help, Carly.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I know all bars are different. I'm actually sitting in the parking lot. I'm about to go open the bar right now. But some bars are different. How we do it here When somebody does start a tab, I take your card long enough just to tab it and add it to the system itself, and then it gets handed right back. So I know that makes people feel a little bit more comfortable. But I will say, as a bartender, it gets a little easier if you keep the tab open and just come back and tell me the name. But we totally don't mind if you close it out and just come back more than once.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So what about the whole somebody going up to the bar in saying that they're your name and closing the tab out and then stealing your credit card or whatever.
Speaker 1: Did that ever happen to you at your bar?
Speaker 5: No, Like I said, we give everybody's cards right back to them. There'll be some instances where people come up and they'll try to add drinks to a tab, but we typically, unless you're the person that handed us the card physically will tell you no, like yeah, us, you need to start it to have yourself.
Speaker 1: Give me your car that too.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised that doesn't happen more like, oh, yeah, I'm on Kevin's tab.
Speaker 8: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, but some well do try really hard. But I'm here enough. I've got some facial recognition, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: No, yeah.
Speaker 6: I always think about that at hotels as well, when they're like when I put something on my room, which I do all the time, and I say it loud enough, or I'm like, oh the last name or were four oh one whitlam? Yeah, the person next to me. You could just go up to the bar and be like, oh real, four oh one whitlaw?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what I mean that? Yeah, Carly, Carly is their bartender. Carly, how long you've been a bartender, Carly.
Speaker 5: I've been a bartender for about two and a half years now.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I don't know if that's considered tenure or whatever. But have you known other bartenders in your time to do stuff with people's cars, Like if you've ever seen somebody write down some card information or like we'll just say shop or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Not a bartender. There was one server that I worked with back in the day that she would like take people's cards and be like, I'm just gonna hold on to it since you've got a bigger group, and then she'd add a bunch of extra stuff to the cab. And I shut that down as soon as I found out she did it, because obviously, but it's very very rare. I'd say most of the people's industry kind of prefer to keep their job.
Speaker 1: Over a couple. Carly.
Speaker 2: Here's another quick question for you, because you said you're about to open up the bar, do you hate having to go in there and slice up limes?
Speaker 1: Lemons? Oranges things like that.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do. I actually have two scars directly next to each other on my first finger.
Speaker 1: Of the time.
Speaker 2: So you're the responsible one, though. The bartender that starts the day is usually the one that they trust the most because you're getting the day started for them.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Up, and I shut it down for him last night.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's a hard worker. Well to come over and see you, Carly. Thank you for the call.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I have a good day, guys.
Speaker 1: Sorry, take care of yourself. Nick. What's up? Nick? Hy Hey?
Speaker 9: I was just calling about the bars have thing about. It's funny for me because me and my friends we go out to the bars all the time, and at the end of the night, I always go to cast out and they always go up and sneak all their drinks.
Speaker 1: On my tab.
Speaker 2: Wait, these are friends of yours with friends like those. Yeah, my best friend who needs enemies?
Speaker 1: Right? That's that's great.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great.
Speaker 9: It's amazing.
Speaker 8: At the end of the night, you think it's going to be like twenty five bucks and it ends up being like sixty.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. What bars do you hang out at? Nick?
Speaker 9: Just in Toledo at all kinds of bars ever around.
Speaker 1: Okay, I go to the spot all the time, this random places. All right, cool, thanks Beddy, appreciate it. What's up, Jam? How you doing good?
Speaker 8: I'm actually driving in a senior bus right now.
Speaker 1: It's a part time gig that I do. Wait, what is that called the senior bus? I drive a senior bus, a little smart buses.
Speaker 9: Yes, the.
Speaker 1: Pair of transit bus. Yeah, exactly. I drive people around West West Bloomfield. Are you a bus now, aficionados? Since you.
Speaker 2: Can, Cavin is Cavin is mister smart bus here Jim nice.
Speaker 9: So no.
Speaker 1: I was regarding the credit cards.
Speaker 8: I've traveled in Mexico and traveled in Canada this summer, and they don't they don't take your credit card away from the table. They'll they bring a little cash you know, electronic uh to your table.
Speaker 1: Now do you I like that? Do you like that mistake? Because then they're wanting you to tip right in front of them. You like that? Does that give you anxiety?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I'm not crazy about that part, but I do like it from the security standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess the security thing is good, but I hate when they do this now at restaurants. Actually, one of the really nice restaurants in the Detroit area. Steak Place does that, and I think it's I think it is uh. I think it's cheesy or what do they call it, uh tacky? I think it's tacky. I think it's Yeah, it's very tacky.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, corny.
Speaker 1: I was like, that work, Anthony. What's up? Anthony? Hey, how you guys doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing good? We're getting ready to uh to. I don't know what we're doing? Go ahead, what are you gonna say it?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 1: So I U.
Speaker 9: I DJ at a local club where I'm from for hereon and typically sometimes I'll get kits from patroons for a song requests. And this typical night I had a uh repuest for two songs. A lady paid me eighty dollars quick pick money. I go to the group of people where my wife is and her and her friends are had in sid So, Hey who had the who bought these house?
Speaker 1: I want to thank you?
Speaker 9: She said, Oh you did with your tip? Like, oh, thanks a lot. So there goes my tips and all my money.
Speaker 1: For the night. Where do you work, Anthony.
Speaker 9: Well, I just did a local club and challenge called It's at the.
Speaker 2: Nice All right, can we come and get free drinks with his tips? I will tell you this, Our listeners are always so nice to us, like when we've gone to different places and you know, they'll go, hey, and I it can really honestly, I don't like it when somebody will go let me buy, let me buy like this round.
Speaker 7: At our own events, people will say, yeah.
Speaker 2: Can I buy you a drink or wherever the deal is? Yeah, that's crazy, you know what. The one thing I want to go back one one last comment on this convention thing. The hotels make a killing off of these having a radio convention there because radio people drink like crazy. Most of us probably should not be. And the wildest is when you go to a morning show boot camp and the hotel bar closes at like nine o'clock.
Speaker 7: Why don't you take some bottles from in here and put them in your room.
Speaker 1: Well I don't need to drink that much. But I'm saying it's not.
Speaker 7: Just for you, but like you know, but everybody come to your room for shop before.
Speaker 2: I'm not bringing people to my room either. I'm not doing that, Shannon. I'm telling you I'm behaving myself. But no, but I'm saying like it's fun to drink at the hotel bar, and I'm thinking these guys are like stupid, like economically, have that bar open. You got Bianca there, You know that you're gonna get a lot of people buying stuff.