Speaker 1: Hey, very delightful, good evening to you, and welcome out to the Budweiser reds Hodstove League presented by UDF. We are live at the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks, and we've got a pretty big crowd assembled here to uh hear what Colin Cowgill has to say Reds first base coach, based running coach, outfield coach.
Speaker 2: He's on with us today.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna have Mark Sheldon checking in redsbeatwriter for MLB dot Com. He will check in from the Winter meetings. Emiliopagon will join us a little bit later on with Jim Day. I'm Tommy Graw. It's great to be with you as we talk Red's Baseball for the next hour. Jimmy, I know a lot of people want to talk about the news of the week, and that was the fact that, of course everybody in Red's country hoping Kyle Schwarber would return home and suit up in a Red uniform this year, only for him to re sign with the Phillies.
Speaker 3: Really not surprising for me.
Speaker 4: I mean I said it on the record all along, I thought it was going back to Philadelphia. As you know, let's slide from the big city.
Speaker 3: It's free agency.
Speaker 4: Good for him, it was the last big contract for him perhaps, and you gotta move on now, you gotta beat him right.
Speaker 1: Well, we will talk more about that a little bit later on. We'll get Mark Sheldon's thoughts about it as well. But first, let's welcome in Colin cal Gill CEC. Thanks so much for joining us. You just took part in a Q and A here at Tom's watch Bar and the bet MGM sportsbook. But you know, for you last season, I mean, a new manager. We kind of talked about that a little bit ago, but a new manager that the base running certainly something that this team is capable of doing and doing very well. It seems like they got a little bit more efficient last year.
Speaker 3: Definitely more efficient. It was good. Well boy, feedback, Yep, it feels good. Take care of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, feels good in the ear drums wakes you up a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, And we did talk about it earlier and it was challenging, you know, going from one manager who has a style of aggression to another manager who just isn't as aggressive of a mindset, especially on the basis and and Tito's one that just doesn't like to make outs on bases on the basis and.
Speaker 3: And and I can I can totally agree with that. It's it's it makes sense to me.
Speaker 5: I think the what we were talked about earlier was was just trying to find the balance of of not being overly aggressive where we make costly mistakes, but being aggressive enough to where, you know, sometimes it might open up a hole for us, or it might get us a few more fastballs, or it might affect the game in some way that you know, we could take advantage of some of our better athletes, the skills that they that they possess, their instincts, all those things.
Speaker 3: So, you know, going from one.
Speaker 5: Manager to another is definitely challenging with their different styles and belief systems. But uh, the one thing that you can count on with Tito is that that that man wants to win the game.
Speaker 3: However that that may look like.
Speaker 5: There was times when he'd come down to the end of dugout and like, hey man, we gotta go, and I'd be like, finally, you know, let's go. But there'd also be times like, hey man, let's be a little bit more conservative here.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a real life example.
Speaker 5: We were in Colorado and we're facing a I can't remember his name, Tyler Kinley I think slowed the plate, gave up a lot of stolen bases. I think it was Freedom or Frehley was on and Tito was giving me the red light. And this was early, early on in the season, and I came back out and I was like, Hey, Tito, what what's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Like why we would have second and third?
Speaker 5: And say, well, they would have just walked Ellie, you know, And like now we got bassis loaded with Ellie not having a chance to hit in a lesser matchup with a right handed hitter behind him, Like all right, well that makes a little bit more sense to me, you know. But that's an early moment where we're trying to feel each other out, understanding the relationship how he thinks, where in the previous it was like, Hey, we're gonna go because we're gonna be safe, and then whatever happens after that happens. We might have a two pointer on a single, But the way he thinks about and looks at the game and the running game is just a little bit different and was a learning process. But now I feel like I got a pretty decent handle on it.
Speaker 4: The times that he did say go, gave you the green light, where those times where the club was going through maybe a stretch of offensive struggles. You had a ton of games where you scored less than two runs where maybe you need to manufacture some runs. Where those the times and do you think we could see more of that?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Just it's Tito. I get his.
Speaker 4: Philosophy, but you just pushed the envelope just a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's right, and it was time, and it's it's challenging and in that aspect too, because if you're down two runs and then you get thrown out with your only opportunity that with somebody on base, you know, like you're kind of you're kind of cutting off.
Speaker 3: Your legs there too.
Speaker 5: So it's it's definitely we need to be right when we make the decision to go, and that needs to be right, and that needs to be moving the needle for us.
Speaker 3: To win that game or score that run.
Speaker 5: So I think moving forward with him, yes, I think to answer your question, yes, I think we will be more aggressive, especially having one year under his you know, his regime, the way he thinks and feels our players understand the way he thinks and feels. Because there was a bit of a lull kind of the middle of the season where we were very very passive. I would I would, I would say, uh, and then we kind of picked it back up towards the latter part of the season. So having known knowing what Tito wants, knowing our players knowing what Tito wants, I think you can probably see us, you know, being a bit more aggressive and when the offense is struggling the way it does, Yes, like we're gonna need to to make something happen. Hit and run a little bit more st doe attle bit more bases, you know, score some more runs.
Speaker 3: Juse the offense.
Speaker 1: We obviously all know that Ellie is an elite base runner. He's electric, especially when he's healthy. Who's somebody that kind of flies under the radar a little bit as far as base running goes, and their ability to maybe surprise you with a stolen bag here and there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think we saw like a glimpse of sal Stewart, you know, towards the end of it, with a little bit you know of of his uh, but he's just you know, he's he's exciting. Uh, he's an excitable person. We're gonna have to tame that a little bit. But but he's really instinctive. He's a guy that sees something in a picture and takes advantage of that. Spencer Steer is one of the better bolt steel players in the league. He's not the fastest guy, but he is just an opportunistic base runner.
Speaker 3: And then Noelvie.
Speaker 5: You look at a guy like Noelvie who is a big human being. He's probably two hundred and thirty pounds, but he runs really, really well, and he's also a really really smart based runner. He has some techniques that he likes to use, and he's sneaky. So I think, you know, with him, as long as he stays in shape, stays healthy. Spencer two, I think we got some guys that are gonna, you know, get back to running bases the way where we know we can run bases.
Speaker 4: How much of a challenge was it for you in that Ellie at times with his injury, and there was a lot of you know, he was injured more than was led on that he was a ferrari that wasn't working on all cylinders at times, where you had to hold him back because I know he goes to first base and the first thing he says to you is Poppy, I'm going to score.
Speaker 3: So you had to hold him back.
Speaker 6: How much of a challenge was that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what, most of the time I just felt bad for him, because, like, he wants to go, and I'm like, hey, man, like, we.
Speaker 3: Can't risk you. You're probably gonna be safe. But if you.
Speaker 5: Set yourself back to three more days and we lose you for any day, our chances of winning that game that day are very, very are a hell of a lot smaller, you know, because he's such an impactful player. So not only is our shortstop, you know, he's our best offensive player. He's our most dynamic players. So trying to keep him healthy and also satisfy his need to you know, be aggressive and use his legs was super challenging. But hopefully all this is behind him, you know, and we can get back to watching Ellie run the way he's capable of running.
Speaker 1: It's obviously fun to talk base running because of how athletic this team is, and there are some dynamic guys like we've talked about, But the other thing that is A big part of what you do is working with the outfielders. We saw a guy like Noelvie Marte make huge shrides in very short order. What was the key to kind of get him comfortable with and then becoming not just a respectable outfielder in right field, but a pretty darn good right fielder. We saw him rob the home run that may have saved the season and helped this team get to the postseason late in the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was so fun to watch him, you know, just the relief he felt moving from the infield to the outfield.
Speaker 3: He just he was just dragging that around.
Speaker 5: He was dragging his his his miscues on defense into the box, and you know, it's hard to battle yourself and the pitcher at the same time offensively, So just to watch him be able to just play free, have fun. There was always a smile on his face. But the way he got better was because he just worked at it every day. We worked every day. I stood behind him in BP. I helped him with his his pre pitch, his first step, and then just kind of like let him make mistakes out there, like hey, man, go catch the ball or don't catch the ball. But if you don't catch the ball, learn from it. You know what happened. And there beat there was plays in the season which he didn't miss very many, but there was a couple of where his routes weren't great. But I would take the iPad to him and I'd show him and and uh.
Speaker 3: And he'd get the hang of it. And then and the very next play he'd clean it up.
Speaker 5: So he's that good at at at making changes and adjusting and and he's just a great baseball player.
Speaker 3: So the more he.
Speaker 5: Works, and if he continues to work, he's going to continue to be a pretty good outfielder.
Speaker 4: That robbing of the home run is directly correlated to the drill that you have with the pitching machine. I'm serious, and I'm blowing smoke here.
Speaker 6: You guys work on that.
Speaker 4: So congratulations on that play.
Speaker 3: Come in to Prision congratulation.
Speaker 4: Seriously, Hey, you know I've seen defense go by the wayside, uh somewhat in this game.
Speaker 3: You're known for your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: You're you're more like a football coach and the baseball coach I've ever seen when guys get down to first base, you headbutt them. Now, has there ever been a time where a guy had butted you so hard that it like you saw stars a little bit, or vice versa, or you did it too.
Speaker 1: Hard to get into concussion protocol.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you, Uh, Freedol will absolutely send it on some head butts. I could see that, and and I will absolutely send it back to Freedel. So it's morally just you know, because you know we're kind of the same size, we're very similar, uh, you know, little pit bulls.
Speaker 3: And Jack Russell's whatever you want to call us.
Speaker 5: But when he gets a bunt down for a not I am more fired up for that event than I am a lot of other things. And if he forgets the head butt me, I will take his head and I will smash it against my head just to make sure that he doesn't under didn't misunderstand how fired up I am because he works really hard at bunting and when he gets it done, it's a big it's normally a big moment for us, and uh, and that fires me up.
Speaker 3: You boys, right, that's that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks so much for the time. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming down.
Speaker 1: Always fun to chat baseball with you and enjoy the rest of the winter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: My pleasure guys is Colin cal Gill joining us on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League. We are live, Hey, but the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's watch Bar at the Banks. We're back with Mark Sheldon. Next on the Reds Radio Network. Beckets the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove Leak presented by UDF.
Speaker 3: We are live the.
Speaker 1: Bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's watch Bar at the Banks. Meanwhile, Mark Sheldon is staying nice and warm. I'm sure he's got a good tan working. He is down in the Sunshine State. I bet it ain't raining down there, Marky, Mark, what's going on?
Speaker 7: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Pretty good?
Speaker 7: I can tell you that I don't have any tan because I barely left the hotel all week and the hotel was freezing inside with all the air conditioned plumping in. But I'm at the airport and I'm ready to come home in the slop that we're gonna get in Cincinnati soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're bringing some snow with you, which is really nice.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 1: Mark has been down in Orlando, not for vacation, not just checking out the area Disney hotels, but he is down there for the winter meetings. He's on his way home now, hanging out at the lovely Orlando Airport. Well Mark Danks for joining us. But you know, obviously there was a lot of excitement on whether or not the Reds were going to land Kyle Schwarber. They didn't. What have you learned and and how how much have you realized about how close the Reds really were on that deal?
Speaker 7: You know, Schwarber said today on his zoom with the Phillies writers that he thought the Red's offer was impressive. He thought the Reds efforts to get him were legit, and he I think the term he used, they weren't pulling his chain. Him and his wife were at Great American Ballpark the Monday before Thanksgiving and they listened to what everyone had to say from the front office, which included Nick Krawl and Brad Metter and Bob Castellini and Tito Francona and Chris Valaika and Jeff Garpe. You know, they went left and they came away okay with that, but that ultimately when the offer came, they they were better offers and and honestly, the Reds were a long shot in a lot of ways. But because the phil were always going to be the leader in the clubhouse, they they wanted him back. I think he wanted to go there first priority, and the Phillies produced the money to make that happen.
Speaker 4: Where do you think the Reds go from here? Where are some rumblings that you're you've heard this week? You know, there are a thousand rumors out there. You don't know what to believe, You're gut feeling where they go.
Speaker 7: It's you know, that's a tough one. It's it's wide open now at this point, Jim, because you know, it's not like they're you know, pet A Lonzo's off the board now, of course, but I'm not sure they were ever They were never in play for him. But there's obviously there's the biggest probably free agent for them that's left is Boba Shet, but they're not connected to him yet. I would wonder if they would think about going to him. Nick Krawl has said that they are willing to look at guys that maybe their position is filled on the team, and then maybe requiring to move a guy to a different position because they have a lot of flexible players, and that kind of makes sense with Brandon lou coming up as a trade candidate maybe from the Raise because he's a second baseman, and that would mean someone like Matt McClain would have to move maybe to center field. So there's there's different hoops, you know, things they can do it. It's just not as easy to pinpoint as Yeah, they were after Kyle Schwarber. Now it's like they have a lot of different, you know, irons in the fire. They've been talking at free agents, they've been talking to the trade partner's, potential trade partners, and we'll have to see what happens.
Speaker 1: One hundred and twenty five million dollars is what they were willing to pay over five years for Kyle Schwarber. That seems to be a pretty good price tag for a team that's budget seems to be fairly limited. Would that give you an indication that they're willing to spend if it's the right player moving forward?
Speaker 3: Yes to no.
Speaker 7: I mean Nick Caral's been pretty transparent about the part with the what the payroll is going to be. Similar to last year they gave Emilio Pegan, you know, ten million a year for the next two years. They didn't have a whole lot left, and I think what they're trying to do is that whether it's with trying what they tried to do with Schwarber or what they might do with another free agent, is can they find a way to get creative in year one? They know their budget, maybe if they can get a guide to the first of money. I think deferrals is a big part of what they might try to do, and then then they can see where they are for the twenty twenty seven budget and twenty twenty eight, et cetera. So if they can find the right guy and tofer some money and have that player be willing to do that, or maybe they try some opt outs or other creative ways to make it work, they will. But I don't think they're going to expand based on what he said today, I don't think they're going to expand the budget, nor were they trying to expand the budget to get shorter.
Speaker 3: If they can't dip into the free agent market. And as you said, the two.
Speaker 4: Big sluggers are off off the board, so trade would be the next avenue. Now they've are build within franchise, they've been reluctant to trade prospects coming up with a trade major league player for major league player is less frequent nowadays. Do you see them dipping in the trade market to try to come up with the bat Do you think that they would deplete the farm system to do so.
Speaker 7: I mean, it sounds like the way things were going at the Winter Meetings, and you've seen it a couple of times with trades before the Winter Meetings.
Speaker 3: It seems like there's been.
Speaker 7: More major league for major league player trades this time around, which is a change from the past. Like you said, it was more rare for a while, But it seems like teams aren't hunting for prospects the way they were hunting for them in past years. There's there are fewer rebuilding teams.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: The one place I keep mentioning, much to people's chagrin, is dipping into starting pitching.
Speaker 2: You know, they have a lot of depth.
Speaker 7: But at the same time, both Nick cral and Brad Metter have been pretty open about the fact that they really don't want to trade someone like Hunter Green or Brady Singer or any of their starters because they, you know what, the that was deep and talented as it is, a lot of those guys have histories of going on the injured list, and they have three guys that missed all of last season, so I would think their starting pitchers would be the ones that would attract the offers. I don't know if they have position players that would grab what they need, you know, elsewhere. Obviously, if they have a good hitter on their team, they're gonna want to hang on to him because they need him in the lineup too. They don't want to deplete one spot for another.
Speaker 1: Well Mark, it's certainly going to be interesting real quickly talking about trades before we let you go? Is could tell Marte a viable option you think on the trade market.
Speaker 7: I mean he's been rumored. I think somebody did mention his name. It connects you with the Reds. I don't know how serious it is. I also don't know really know what a fit he would be. I think clubhouse fit is a big part of it. And el Marte maybe had some issues in Arizona, so I don't know where that goes. If he's the guy they would get, But and again if they got him, they would have to move McClean, no doubt, so it would be it would be interesting to see what they do. But I think he's like he's making like one hundred million dollars, so I don't I don't know if if that's the right fit or not quite honestly.
Speaker 1: Well, Mark, thanks for the time, appreciate it. Be safe getting home and we'll we'll talk to you, I'm sure again soon.
Speaker 7: Thanks and happy holidays.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays.
Speaker 1: That is Redsbeat writer for MLB dot Com, Mark Sheldon. We're back with Red's closer, Emilio Pagan. It's the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by u DF live at the bed MGM Sportsbook. Inside Tom's Watch Bartha Banks on the Reds Radio Network. Welcome back into the Budweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by u d F with Jim Day. I am Tommy Throw continuing on the show. Now, we are thrilled to be joined by Red's closer, Emilio Pagan. Boy, how refreshing it is to be able to say those words, Emilio. I'd like to say welcome back, but you you never ended up leaving, so it's it's great to it's great to have you still in a Reds uniform. How thrilled were you to get this deal? Done, especially as quickly as it got done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was pumped, you know.
Speaker 9: I told Brad and Nick and Jeff, you know, pretty much everybody that you know. I was hoping to be bad and uh, you know, I was really grateful that we were able to get it done. Man it uh and uh, and it moved fast, You're right. But it was a fun process. It was super humbling to hear from all the teams that were calling. You know, anytime you get a phone call from a major league club and they they're interested in signing you as one of their players, Uh, it's a.
Speaker 6: Super cool feeling, you know.
Speaker 9: I I've watched baseball my whole life, and so to uh to have those calls was a fun process.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, there's.
Speaker 9: A lot to like about what we've got going on in Cincinnati, and I knew that's where I wanted to be.
Speaker 10: That last day at Dodger Stadium, Uh, when you guys got knocked out and and everyone in the clubhouse is saying they're goodbyes, and it's kind of an emotional moment. Did you think at that moment that might be the last time you put on a Red's uniform? How much were you thinking because I was saying goodbye to you because I didn't it was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 9: It's it's really hard, from being honest, to not think about that, to not think about, man, this could be the last time teammates with these guys, and so you know in the moment, you know, I tell guys.
Speaker 6: All the time, I am terrible at goodbyes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: I'm a very emotional person.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think fans can see that. And when I'm on the mound, you know, I have fun.
Speaker 9: Out there, and and so I'm not afraid to show my emotions a little bit. And so uh when it comes time at the end of the year, whenever that time does come, I'm I'm not good at goodbyes, and so, uh, you're right. I was kind of just sitting in my locker taking it all in and uh, you know, being thankful for for my time there and with those guys.
Speaker 6: I've had a blast the last two years. Uh.
Speaker 9: But there was you know a huge part of me that was very hopeful that we could figure something out and could uh could get it done to bring me back and and you know, take another run at it, because I believe in this team. I believe in these guys, and you know, I said it a couple of days ago when I was up in Cincinnati. I think we were just uh, I think we just grabbed to surface on what this team can accomplish. And so I'm excited to get back to work.
Speaker 2: Emilio Pagun, big Irish exit guy.
Speaker 1: Uh Hue, Emilio, you you talked about, uh, you know, the process and that other teams were calling you.
Speaker 2: Uh, how'd that process go?
Speaker 1: Uh? Take us behind the curtain just a little bit. I mean, did you you said you wanted to be back with the Reds. You've You've made that clear to everybody involved. So during the during that process, did you feel like the Reds had to outbid some other teams or just get competitive? I mean, how does that whole process kind of play out, especially when you know where you want to be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, the process is it is what it is.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 9: You know, teams call, uh, teams call my agent asient does a really good job of communicating with with all the teams and with me. I'm aware of who's calling, when they're calling, what they're thinking, and you know, it's really just having fun with it.
Speaker 6: As far as as far as offers.
Speaker 9: In the market, I don't really worry about that. Uh, to be honest, you know, you know, I feel like it's not really something to worry about.
Speaker 6: You know, I grew up in church.
Speaker 9: You know, for me, you know, God had a plan for my life to play baseball, and so for me, he's He's provided opportunities and and uh places for me to go. And so you know, I had a desire back in Cincinnati, and you know, I felt like it was gonna happen the whole time. And so as far as the market goes, I wasn't really concerned about it. You know, I have said, and I do believe this is true. I do owe a little bit to the game of baseball and to players and to the future players to get what the game might dictate. You know, somebody who's done what I've done in this game is worth and so there there is a little bit of that factor. But as far as being like anxious or concerned about the market like that, you know, I'm grateful that that was never a part of my process, and so I'm just glad we were able to get it done.
Speaker 6: Be back in Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: There's been so many players that have come through Cincinnati, and there's I guess there's just something about it that players like. Even during the down years, there were players that I really like it here and I'd really like to come back, and a lot of times they didn't twofold. What is it about Cincinnati, Cincinnati Reads, and what is it about this particular group that's so enticing and situation.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it's hard for me to comment on like previous guys, because I don't know what the you know, what the clubhouse was like, you know, during those years that you're referring to. For me, I can say right now, what's enticing for me is the people. The guys in that clubhouse. Our front office staff, our coaching staff, are port staff in the clubhouse. It's just a really special group of people where it feels like we're all on the same page. It feels like there's one common goal, which is to get better, to win games, and to hopefully bring a championship to this organization. And so, you know, as a fan of baseball, you like to think that every team is trying to win as many games as possible every year. Being in the game, I think we're all aware that that's not always the case, unfortunately, and so as far as guys in previous years that have wanted to come back, I'm not sure what was enticing to them. But for me, you look at the talent on this roster, you pair that with the group of people that we have in this organization, it's just a special place at a special time, and I think, like I said, we're just scratching the surface. I think this is going to become a destination in this league if we do this right, and you know, we start taking more and more steps in the right direction towards winning a championship, and so I'm great to be a part of it and excited to see what we can accomplish.
Speaker 1: Emilio, closing wasn't probably at the top of your radar coming into the last season. You turned into not just the team's closer, but a reliable closer. At that what you learn about yourself throughout the course of the year doing it day in and day out.
Speaker 6: I learned that I needed more sleep than normal.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 9: It's a stressful role, but it's something that I've always really really hoped that I would get another shot at. You know, I did it a little bit in twenty nineteen with Tampa and then a little bit in the beginning of twenty twenty two in Minnesota. And both of those years I put it on such a pedestal, you know, calling myself I get to be a major league closer, you know, and just really adding unnecessary importance to getting three outs, you know what I mean, when you really boil it down, that's all it is, just go get three outs.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 6: I've matured enough.
Speaker 9: At least I thought I had matured enough to get another shot at it, and you know, I was really hopeful that I would get another shot at it. And this time around, I just tried to have fun and tried to go get three outs as fast as possible and not really care what it looks like. You know, if I get three outs before they you know, tie the game or go ahead, then I did my job. And so I had a lot of fun with it. But yeah, what I learned was when you're in that role, sleep becomes even more important.
Speaker 6: So the arm's good.
Speaker 10: You mentioned twenty nineteen, you seventy innings pitched that year, sixty eight and two thirds this year, but they were all stressed.
Speaker 6: Is that a big difference.
Speaker 9: I don't know, we'll find out. You know, Physically, I feel fantastic right now. You know, obviously everybody in spring training says, yeah, I'm in the best shape of my life. I feel better now in this off in this off season that I felt probably the last two or three off seasons. And so you know that there's gonna be ebbs and flows with that as you're as you're building up, there's gonna be periods of dead arm and uh times in the off season where you're more sore than others. You know, that comes, you know, being able to manage that comes through experience, and so I'll know when it's time to step on the gas or maybe you know, take it back and notch. But as far as how I feel right now going into you know, the later stages of the off season where bullpens will start to pick up and long toss will start to pick up, I feel great. And so I'm really happy with how I feel physically. And uh yeah, I mean I threw a lot last year, but it's not the most I've ever thrown. And so you know I met they were yeah, yeah, for sure, Yeah, for sure, they were.
Speaker 6: They were definitely all high leverage, which has not always.
Speaker 3: Been the case.
Speaker 9: But uh, you know, for me, and I think a lot of people would say this, like any inning in the Big league is high stress. Like we all want to stay in the big leagues as long as possible, and so you know, the score and and everything dictates some uh you know, the leverage index, you know, whatever that stat is. But as far as how I approach it, I'm trying to put up a zero. I don't care if it's the first or the fifteenth, you know. So that's that's the way I look at it.
Speaker 1: You talk about sleep, a little harder to sleep after the adrenaline rush of pitching a ninth inning, isn't it. I mean that that's not easy to just shut it down, go home, put your head on the pillow and call it a night.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, no, it's it's definitely not.
Speaker 9: But again that comes from like what I was referring to is like just keep it into perspective, Like when I was getting when I was getting a chance to close in Tampa. Yeah, I was up till three four o'clock in the morning after games, just either super pumped up because I got the job done or super disappointed.
Speaker 6: In myself because I blew the game this time around.
Speaker 9: I was just trying to be you know, more honest with myself about how I threw the bait, not necessarily what the result was. Like if I threw good and blew the game, I was okay with it, which you know, fans may or may not want to hear that, But my process was, in my opinion, the right way to go about it. Like I don't want to pitch bad and get the job done and think, man, I'm in a good spot, you know, like this is sustainable for the next two weeks. So like if I threw bad and didn't and and still got the save, like all right, let's look into why I wasn't commanding my fastball as much or whatever. Which the flip side of that was if I pitched good and gave up a homer and we lost, like I was okay with that because I knew that if I kept throwing the ball like that more times than not, just the way that baseball is designed, like if you pitch good, you're gonna get out. It's really hard to get hits in this game and string string two.
Speaker 6: Or three together.
Speaker 9: And so that was my whole thought process, and because of that I was able to get better sleep.
Speaker 1: As somebody once told me, they decided to become a pitcher because they realized it was a lot easier than being hit her.
Speaker 6: Yeah that guy was you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, Emilio certainly appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Really happy for you and your family and have a great holiday season.
Speaker 6: All right, Yeah, thanks guys. I appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 1: Absolutely That is Red's Closer, Emilio Pagan joining us. We'll take your phone calls and mores. We wind down on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF.
Speaker 2: Next on the Reds Radio Network.
Speaker 1: BET, wrapping things up on the Butterwiser Red Hot Stove League presented by ud ALF. We are live the BET MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Wahbar at the Bank. Shopping for a Reds fan this holiday season, there are plenty of great gift options available tickets, fan club memberships, memorabilia, apparel, and more.
Speaker 2: Plus don't miss thirteen.
Speaker 1: Days of Christmas at the Reds Team Shop, with new deals on select days through December twenty third. Visit Reds dot com for details. Let's go to the phone lines. Now if five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven hundred the big one. Let's go to Grandpaul, Mike and Dayton. Gramps, what do you got for us?
Speaker 8: You know him?
Speaker 1: Sir, you're behaving, trying not to, but you know there's plenty of people to keep.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's where I am. Well, I have a new job, but I'm not going into that. I'm knowing a lot of traveling. But anyway, with the Reds, I am a big Reds fan. I'm a diehard Yankee fan, being rigid from New York. I hate the Orioles. How the hell the Casteline let the Ools sign Alonzo? I hated them.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for the call, Gramps, appreciate you calling in. I gotta be honest with you. I you know, I like the idea Kyle Sharber. I thought he would be a really good fit for this Reds team. And by all accounts, look, the Reds did everything they could. Uh, the Phillies came up with a better offer, And I think it probably comes down to deep down he was comfortable there, that's where he wanted to stay. Pete Alonzo, I don't Jim, I don't know how you feel about this. I don't feel as though Pete Alonzo would have been as good of a fit with this team. Granted, the bat's great, the power numbers are great, but sometimes it has to be a fit all the way around. It's a boatload of home runs.
Speaker 4: It's hit a botload of home runs in Great America that that was certainly playing on this team, that would play. But the reports are that it's even a slightly larger contract right than what Shwarbur got.
Speaker 3: So I don't know the finances.
Speaker 4: I'm not privy to the talks of how much was offered to Schwarbur, how much you know he's in the end gonna get or Pete Alonzo. I'm not gonna pooh pooh on a guy hits that many home runs that he wouldn't fit in.
Speaker 1: Well, you find a way to make it work, don't you. Yeah, But I never I never got the sense that he was a guy that the Reds were necessarily interested in. Yeah, I don't know that he was on the radar for them, But you know what, I'm sure he'll work out great for the Orioles. He's certainly a power back that could use in their lineup, and they need to figure out a way to get some power from somewhere. We wrap up the show and we come back next on the Reds Radio Network. It's up on the Budweiser Reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF. Give the gift of Reds Baseball this holiday season with Red's Holiday Flex Ticket vouchers. Your favorite Reds fan will get a choose which games they want to see in twenty twenty six. Visit Reds dot com slash Holiday for details. Well, pretty much out of time for today's show. Who knows, maybe we'll be talking about some excitement next week. Shows on a Tuesday. Great to have Emlio Pagan on today. Great to have him back in the bullpen. Sounds like the Reds are still willing to go out there and spend some money.
Speaker 3: Remains to be seen.
Speaker 4: It does not my money to spend, nor my position to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Things that I don't know. We'll see, we'll.
Speaker 1: See what will be waiting Like everyone else, we will be And you know what, it is disappointing that the Kyle Schwarber thing didn't work out, but you got to move on.
Speaker 3: And now we'll see where.
Speaker 1: The Red's pivot and how they continue to try to piece together this team for twenty twenty six. But you've got to try to find a way to build on the momentum getting to the postseason last year. Tito's talked about it, Emilio Pagan talked about it. They want to get back there, they want to pop bottles again.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to come up with a creative trade then, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And I think that's probably what we'll be looking at. Yeah, maybe we'll halt, Maybe we'll be talking about that.
Speaker 3: Perhaps Tuesday is the show. Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Next Tuesday, we'll be here in the same spot, all right, at the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks. We're out of time for this show. Big thanks to Calling cal Gill for joining us today. Thanks to Mark Sheldon for calling in. Also thanks to Emilio Pagan for our producer, engineer, dave Yiddy, Arm Brewster, Joe Waddell back in our network headquarters, and for Jim Day. I'm Tommy Thrawl saying good night from the bet MGM Sportsbook inside Tom's Watch Bar at the Banks. You've been listening to the Budweiser reds Hot Stove League presented by UDF on the REDS radio network,