Speaker 1: A calm freshing from La La Land haunts on.
Speaker 2: How are we looking?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I'm a little you look a little you got a little haggard, look a little so you got a little son out there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, La, between bad baseball for the Reds and getting a little sun driving around little Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: You were just telling me you were driving around Beverly Hills.
Speaker 4: Just that whole thing just fa like, I just and whatever before you know, you got all day to kill before one of those games, and I just took a drive out there and you know, just drove around Rodeo drive.
Speaker 2: That whole world just fascinate.
Speaker 1: I mean, so hey, Skinny, Uh, wouldn't it be nice to be able to tool around, you know, La and head out to Beverly Hills and Malibu and all that j Simpson's old estate, hang out at Oja Simpson's house. Oh cool, must be that guy.
Speaker 5: Then have yeah, they have it down and watching bad baseball after that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I assume it's again. You have been to Dodger Stadium. Yes, yes, see now obviously Jason was there. The best that is on my bucket list. That's a one ballpark I've always wanted to go to. You guys, tell me is it worth a trip?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean it's it's it's history. I mean, the one ballpark I haven't been to that I can't believe I have been to a Sunway Park. That's the one that I still have never gotten a chance to cover a game or go watch a game in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been there a couple of times. It's yeah, it's it's as cool as you think it might being.
Speaker 4: So I think I've been telling my son, my older son read this like, I was like, we're going to We've been doing these baseball stadium tours and Dodger Stadium is the number one, because, in my mind, Dodger Stadium is the absolute best ballpark in baseball to watch a game, the whole. It's just it's unique. It's unlike any place else in baseball. The landscaping, the lush landscaping, this place still looks like brand new when it opened in nineteen sixty two.
Speaker 2: And the way they keep that place ballpark.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's an old ballpark and you could eat.
Speaker 1: Off the floor, off the concourse floor, that's how clean. Let me ask you, isn't it kind of a pain? And they asked to get in an out there.
Speaker 5: It can be. I mean, if you're working, like Jason was, the parking is going to all be gone by the time you're done with your work. So as a fan, yes, but if you're working it not so much just because.
Speaker 3: You're done working. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So it was skinny. Let's talk about what happened out in La I heard Willie talking with Seg and Rocky and I talked about it later or yeah, yesterday, and Jason and I have talked about it. It's just what needs to happen. We a, you need some clutch hitting and things need the chess pieces need to be moved around.
Speaker 5: Yes, I wrote a red column today and it kind of mimiced I think Jason's column. I didn't mean it too, but it's it's pretty much the story of what you need to do in this off to you and that you got to hit a big bat in the middle of lineup. You know. Ellie de la Cruz led this team in home runs this year with twenty two. Only one other guy on the team hit more than sixteen home runs, that with Spencer Steeer. So you need a big bat in the lineup where you put that big back. I don't know, but you just need to go get one. And I think that will help Ellie. I think that will help add the Ellie's production. You just here's the thing you can't do. You just can't bring the band back and go these guys are going to be better just because if they are better, great, If Matt mcains is the Matt mclan's twenty twenty three, great, but I can't count on it. If Ellie La Cruz suddenly becomes the forty home run guy, I think we all projected great, but right now I can't count on it. If Noble Marte hits like you did in July and August, great, but I can't count on it. So I think the bottom liyes, go get a big bat.
Speaker 4: I totally agree with you. However, however way you do that. I mean you think back at the Reds and I you know you can't do the whole get the band back together. You can't look at this and say, oh, you know it's the first it's the first step. Yeah, you know that this same core team will get there. That's pretty that's kind of a bank attitude, to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: To me, you're right.
Speaker 4: I think however, way they're going to do that, you know, whether that's to go out. You know, think about the Joey Vada They never spent the Joey Vado money. Really, I mean, the Joey Vado money got off the books. And you know, the only the only guy, the only guy who made it.
Speaker 2: Nick Martinez money. He's made out.
Speaker 4: He was the only guy who made what eight figures this year, I believe. And so even to like, if you trade Hunter Green, that frees up some money, uh, you know, and then do you get prospects for him and maybe a veteran you know, four or five pitcher and then use some of that money to go out and free agency. It is going to be hard and uh, you know, the front office is kind of and there's been discussions, you know, with reporters and stuff that it is going to be hard for them to go, oh, you know what, we'll trade Hunter Green for some big bat that that's going to be tough to do.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: But there's a lot there's a lot of things that need to be done here and you know, and Brandtley talked about out of how there's got to be some big changes and it's not just getting that bad, it's it's some of these other things that you got to kind of maneuver around. What are you gonna do with Ellie? And we could go on and on here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what are you gonna do with south Stewart?
Speaker 2: Where is he gonna play bingo?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: Are you going to bring some competition in for for Matt McClain? Can you carry key Brian Hayes' back? You know every day one?
Speaker 7: Right there?
Speaker 2: I think no one's really talking about.
Speaker 4: But like you're like, okay, if you're trying to figure out if Spencer Steer, who's waterline gold glove at first base?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, and you want to play South Stewart with his bat every every day? Like where does Keith Brian Hayes really fit in? They like him obviously fits that whole, you know, defense and pitching philosophy, but wolf on that on that bat, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, what are you going to carry a huge twenty hitter? You know they got too many?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you only got a couple of them. Okay, you know he's didn't find it number nine.
Speaker 1: So Skinny, let's just switch gears here and talk about our Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, the Lions coming to town. What kind of hope do is there for this game? What would you Let's face it, I don't think they're going to beat the Detroit Lions. I mean, I'll just let's come out and say it right there. What would you like to see happen though.
Speaker 5: The offense executed a higher level. I mean, listen, I know everybody's pointing the finger Jake Browning at the moment.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 5: He hasn't played very well. Let's not forget Joe Burrow played the full game in the opener, and they had one hundred and forty one yards total offense with Joe Burrow. So this to me is an offense issue. This isn't just a Jake Browning issue. They don't block very well, they don't run very well. I don't think they've schemed Jake properly. I think they've been way too tentative with him and too cautious with him. So yeah, I'd like to see the offense execute better. I don't think the defense stops Detroit, so I to your point, I don't think they beat Detroit either, but I want to see the offense execute at a higher level.
Speaker 4: Is it a half point difference.
Speaker 2: With the Lions there, you.
Speaker 5: Know that's a big spread in the NFL. I mean, I would, I know everybody can just look at all this will be an easy Lions game. It's the NFL. Man. Last night, you know, the Lams were an eight and a half point favorite at home over a wounded San Francisco team, and San Francisco went in there and beat them. So strange things happen in this league sometimes. You know, the Minnesota game, you had three plays, three plays out of four were turnovers. Just sometimes things happen, especially on the road in the NFL. It's a great team. I think Detroyd's super. They got everything they got. They got great pass rush, they got great defense, they got getting stopped the run. They got a great running game, and they got great play action passing off the off the running game. They got deep threats everywhere, got great offensive line there.
Speaker 2: Coaching, coaching, yes.
Speaker 4: Skinny, when you going back to that offense, is it is.
Speaker 2: It a scheme thing? So coaching?
Speaker 4: Is it a execution thing from the players? Is it a talent lack of you know, all of the above. What do you kind of.
Speaker 5: I think it. Yeah, I think a little all the above. I mean, look, you signed Orlando Brown when he's a Pro Bowl caliber player. He's not that.
Speaker 7: Player any longer.
Speaker 5: I don't know that the injury from last year has taken that away from him. Ted Carris is a he's an okay center. I mean, he's never been anything great, but he's an okay and he looks like he's kind of aging before our eyes. And let's not forget you.
Speaker 3: Got two rookie guards.
Speaker 5: I'm starting two rookie guards, and your right tack ma Marius Mims is actually kind of regressed. Now. Could that be the new offensive line coach Scott Peters being a failure? Maybe? I certainly haven't seen progress from ma Marius Mims. I haven't seen this group get better. I've seen them regress. And again, is that guy's individually aging or in some cases being too young because they haven't seen enough in the face of the two rookie guards, or is it just straight out coaching. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Richard Skinner Local twelve and guys, well both of you, and let's talk about the quarterback situation. Skeinny, you just said, you know, it's not Jake Browning's fault, and it's and it's well, obviously some of it is, but to a great guy is it is not? But let's talk about if he lays a giant egg this Sunday. Look at what happened in Cleveland. They're playing in London, starting a rookie quarterback over over Flacco. When is enoughing enough here in town? And who takes Jake Browning's place if it indeed does come to.
Speaker 5: That, I just don't think there is that guy. I know, Wilson Fine for Jameis Winston, it will be the backup Brett Rippon. Brett Rippon is a practice squad caliber quarterback, is a backup at the moment. By the fault, I don't think there is one.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's you got to ride with Jake Browning. You know, I asked Jake Dodani's press conference, you know what's the difference between right now with the offense and when it was in twenty twenty three when he was playing really well in No. Seven starts? And he didn't give me a great answer. He said, well, the one game in the screen game and maybe that's what it is. They haven't run the ball, and I think Jake strengths are not staying in the shotgun like Joe Burrow in processing things. I think Jake strengths are getting under center play action bootlegs. Well, guess what doesn't work? Guess from play action and boot legs don't work. They don't work when you can't run the ball. So you're kicking that away from him. So I think, again, Jake does not play well. You know, he made a couple of bad deep throws Monday night that he should have connected on it, and he didn't. So again, I don't want to absolve him a blame, but listen, that's the whole operation at the moment, and I think it honestly starts with the run game.
Speaker 1: All right, with that skinny, we will let you go, buddy, what's going on this weekend as far as as high school football goes? Any good games?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I got? Oh, yes, you had Moller Elder tonight at the pit. You got Cubcats Highlands tonight over in Northern Kentucky. You got Anderson Turpin, the neighborhood rivalry. Anderson's having a great season. Turpin's actually having a very nice season. Yeah, there's some good games all over town across the river in northern Kentucky too.
Speaker 1: Week seven, right, Week seven, All right, buddy, thanks so much our good friend Richard Skinner Local twelve. And yeah, that's what nobody, nobody's talking about. That's the elephant in the room there. As far as the Bengals quarterback issue goes, it's Browning or nothing pretty much, right.
Speaker 4: I've always thought that, and now I know fans are going to be fans, and but I mean, Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, those guys aren't any better than Jake Browning. And then it's it's look, these problems are much much deeper than Jake Browning.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't matter who's standing.
Speaker 2: Behind that line. Bingo, right boom.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on? Back on the Eddie and Rocky Show, Eddie with Jason Williams from the inquir Cincinnati dot com. And you guys had three guys out there the Inquirre did huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we had five. We had two photographers as well, full team coverage.
Speaker 1: Wow, cause you know here the uh we're the home of.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, I mean wow, and the Cinsame Choir cover the Reds incredibly.
Speaker 1: Well you guys had five well okay, that evens out because you had five people there, we had none, So that's cool.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know we are the home of the Reds. Yeah, you had the broadcast crew there right.
Speaker 1: Well But anyways, so do tell about your traversing l A because I've only been there kind of like you. I was there on a radio thing one time, and the guy was with my old buddy Steve Cage. We did what you did and rented a car. We had an afternoon free. We rented a car and went out driving around. We drove out to Malibu. Yeah, I think we went down to Venice Beach and walked around and liked at all that goofiness. But yeah, that was about the site. It's just something to see, you know. It's weird, but it's yeah, it really is different.
Speaker 4: And where I was going, it's not that far from Dodger Stadium, although you know, with traffic it takes you a while to get there. But so so a couple of things. I am fast. I was just fascinated with the o json I for what And I know I'm not alone in that, but everything it's ever been done, documentary wise, shows, anything I've ever I watched. I've read books on it, and I'm not a tip I'm not I'm not a huge book reader, but I've read like Christopher Darden's book and yeah, it's like, uh and so I'm you know, I just whatever was at Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was like, I'm gonna get out.
Speaker 4: I gotta get out, and just kind of you know, it's late night games. You're you're grinding through those late games, and so I'm like, you know, I gotta get out.
Speaker 2: I'll drive down there, just drive around.
Speaker 4: I was like, and I certainly this is It's unlike me. I'm not a gawker kind of person, but I like I went to the I went to the Bundy place and Rocking and then Rockingham and it just because I wanted to see, like are there people there that I know? And I'm like no, and it's just like I'm literally just driving through a neighborhood. The Bundy area wasn't it's not it's not what you would think. It's not super nice, it's not super terrible, but uh, certainly the Rockingham area and then that in that mansion, like the oj mansion was torn down, and so there's a new mansion there. Now you can't really say it's just a big wall. And and really that's what Beverly like, that whole area, the Beverly Hills, Hombly Hills bel air. You're like, Oh, I'm gonna go see all the I'm gonna go see all the big houses. What you can't see them because they're all behind walls and the walls have ivy on them or some kind of lush, big massive like bushes. Like just the landscaping and the greenery alone is to see all that and Beverly Hills is like, it's really unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Gotta have a couple of bas With that, we check in with the news news radio seven hundred w l W from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com. Sitting in with me brought me back on Monday. He's off to Memphis this weekend.
Speaker 4: Memphis pretty good football team.
Speaker 1: Why he was Rock was not He was not excited about going to Memphis. He's been there before, and he said, because I've never been there and being the big.
Speaker 4: One there many many years ago, I covered college basketball in my career.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, being the big Elvis guy that I am. The fact that I'm to do Memphis. Yeah, but see, I don't want to. I don't know if I want to see Grace landard on him. Afraid I'm going to be bummed. I'll be disappointed. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You know, just call Catherine Nero if you need to know anything about Grayce Sland. She could probably make it seem even better than if you actually visited. Do you know this, Like she's a she was a tour guide there growing up. I did not know great stories about it. Yeah, I don't know our podcast at this inquire a few years ago, several years ago now, but she told the whole story about working there growing up, and I felt like she did something like maybe she did a big story on it too or something along the line, and yeah, that's cool, Grace, she's a Graceland expert.
Speaker 1: Well, see, one of these days, I'm gonna make them pilgrimage. I'm not gonna be one of those guys that cry, you know if I get because don't don't they have it like a VIP tour You can pay extra and they take in and show you. You don't want to do that, you want to go into the where Delvi was, you know, fell off the toilet and whatnot and all that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, you know, we were just talking about me driving around Beverly Hills and that whole area.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be.
Speaker 4: You don't want to be that person in that in that tour bus thing, because you see those driving by, and I'm just like, uh, I'm like, see them in my discreete little Hyundai Kona rental car. No one knows that I'm doing the same thing those people are doing. But I'm not, like, yeah, I'm not. I'm not looking like I'm not wearing a Hawaiian shirt and in an open air bus, looking like with my camera.
Speaker 1: So they still have those things. Yeah, where you stars homes?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, that's exactly. I saw three or four of them driving around there.
Speaker 1: They still have those people on the where you can buy a map of you can do it on your own. Remember, I don't know, probably yeah, I remember seeing you know, I've seen it in the movie, So it must be true. Uh, where there would be like somebody with their little stand there and you buy a map of the stars Homes and drive around and look at the wall in front of the house where you know whatever, that's what you'll be looking at it and be looking at the wall, right, Yeah, well that's what would be. That's what I always wonder with these with the people who did that. Again, I never have been to LA. I was, what, when you're taking one of those tours, do you really think that whatever, like I said, Kevin Costner, is gonna be standing on those front port.
Speaker 2: Going, hey, what's on.
Speaker 1: Come out in high five years you're driving by?
Speaker 4: Or I'm more interested in not really where the start, but who lives in these other houses that aren't famous people, but you know, and they're they're TV executives and that network. You know, the folks that make the movies and behind the scenes for a lot. That's a lot of those folks that live there, or guys that whatever work for Apple.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure almost everybody in LA is probably in the business and some like you're saying producers.
Speaker 2: And the show business business.
Speaker 1: Yes, that whole end of it.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: But uh, I'll tell you, man, just what little experience I've had in being in LA. I guess that I'm just there on a radio thing. I was there for a weekend and just trying to get around La would drive me freaking insane.
Speaker 4: Yes, you have to have some patience, and it's you gotta be, you know, just the time of day two depends. I I I hit a little bit of a wall there driving back from Beverly Hills. I went just straight from that area down Santa Monica to the Dodger Stadium, and it got a little you know, because these were these were city streets, Sunset Boulevard, that whole area, trying to go and I ended up obviously on Sunset and the next thing I know, I'm up the hill in the shop, I'm in the in Shavez Revine. I'm like, well, I didn't realize it was I'm here. And when Pete, by the way, you know you hear the Chavez Ravine literally for anyone who you know has never been there or would love to go there. So I mean, the stadium is built in a Chavez Ravine is a canyon, and the stadium is built into the site of this canyon. And it's not a huge canyon, but it's certainly big enough to have a what a five deck stadium. I think it's five decks four Seeing like I told you there's that's that there's definitely. I never got to see the old Dodger or the old Yankee Stadium. I got to see that, yet I wanted to. I definitely Dodger Stadium much much better.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yoh yeah, I always wanted to see the old Yankee Stadium. I want to see Dodgers Stadium. I got to go to Candlestick Park out in San frances I never got to go there, and the boy, that was a dump. And I got to go to the new San Francisco Stadium, the coolest ballpark I've ever been.
Speaker 2: In my life. I heard that one's awesome.
Speaker 1: And if you've never been to Fenway Park, Fenway Park is almost exactly like Wriggleyfield.
Speaker 4: Fenway is awesome. Never been to Wrigley, but I've been to Fenway. I've covered, I've worked at Fenway, and I've also gone as a fan. We just went as a fan this summer. I want to say this too. I feel like when it comes to Dodger Stadium, there is and I've heard seeing Diego is similar. But you think about energy, it's like NFL football caliber energy in that stadium. It's do you feel a constant buzz there that you don't typically feel, certainly here in Cincinnati. And I'm not criticizing Cincinnati. I know a lot of ballparks don't have that, but Dodger Stadium does. With that, we are going to be talking to John Matttery's coming up. But now we've got traffic and weather. What is going back with?
Speaker 1: Eddie and Jason Williams in for Rocky Today On a Friday around about this time, we always talked to this fella right here from w CBO nine News, our good friend John Matteris, don't waste your money, and Johnny, I was in the I was in the Kroger today, biging up a couple of items and.
Speaker 2: Here we are. What there.
Speaker 1: Still four weeks out from Halloween, and I walked by display for Thanksgiving cards.
Speaker 7: Wasn't Christmas trees? Wasn't Christmas tree?
Speaker 1: I'm surprised I didn't see it, but but anyways, so but anyway, speaking of Halloween, the candy this year, I also saw, you know, they obviously got racks of that stuff out, and man, I just you're gonna go Brooke feeding them kids?
Speaker 2: You are this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, candy price is higher than ever for anything chocolatey, and you know, everybody wants those Reese's peanut butter cups. They're by far the most popular, you know. And then you have twigs and Hershey's bars and oh my goodness, we were we were in Kroger. Four ninety nine is the current price of a small snack bag. I mean a few years ago, those are like two seventy five. You know, yeah, there four nine five bucks went over to Walmart. There are also five bucks over at Walmart. And this is a small bag. I mean, if you're in a busy neighborhood that has a lot of kids, Oh that'll that little bag will last year about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many peas are in it? I'm just curious.
Speaker 7: Not too many. Like you get thirty pieces or something. Then you have the bigger bags and you're like, okay, well let's get some of the bigger bags. Well those are fifteen or twenty dollars for the bigger bag, and you get a lot more pieces. But before you know it, you've spent you sent over one hundred bucks for your candy. And you're hoping that's all you need. You're hoping it's not a beautiful night and you got to say, honey, run out to Walgreens cause we're running low and it's only six fifteen. Yeah, no, it's just crazy how expensive it's skiddy.
Speaker 4: I think John, last year we did the same segment and it had gone up on the previous year.
Speaker 2: Now it's going up again. And where does this stop at?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well it's a lot of factors. A lot of is the cocoa prices. You've been hearing that. We've been hearing that all year at the cocoa prices are up, just like coffee beans because I drink a lot of coffee, that's getting expensive. And the candy prices, the chocolate prices are up. So question is people are saying, like, well can I do about it? But one thing is be cheap like John Mattaison, and don't buy the chocolate. You know, give them the the nerds and give them the kiddle and that's exactly.
Speaker 1: Give them to Smartie, get one of those little just throw one smart Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just just don't be like grandma and give them a penny.
Speaker 2: Here you go, here's an.
Speaker 1: Apple and a penny.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't get I'm not even I'm not even that cheap. So you know, that you know, you could downgrade to some of the some of the other candies. Here's now something though, that I would say, I would say, don't buy your candy this weekend. Do not. You're gonna be tempted. I know you're gonna be out in Kroger Walmart this weekend. It's like, honey, we better start stocking up on this. I would not buy it this weekend. And here's why. Next week there are a bunch of big sales. There's a Walmarts deals going on. There's Amazon's October Prime Days going on. Target has a Circle week going on, So the big fall sales are actually happening. Next week, you're gonna find candy markdowns and a lot of people don't think of buying candy on Amazon. Check it out. You may find some really good deal. So that's going on next week. Here's the magic day. You got to wait a while for it. October fifteenth. Okay, we're talking almost almost two weeks, just under two weeks. October fifteenth, that's when Kroger holds its annual candy sale that goes on for four days. They do it every year, and they mark down candy about thirty to thirty five percent. It used to be fifty percent off. Now it's about thirty to thirty five percent off, but it's still a really good deal.
Speaker 2: So those four.
Speaker 7: Ninety nine bags, you know, those would be down to you know, three ninety nine or something. Basically, October fifteenth is the key date for Kroger, so you might want to hold off for that. You might want to check some stuff online. I have a whole story on my John Mattery's Facebook page in WCPO dot com listing a whole bunch of sales that.
Speaker 5: Are coming out.
Speaker 1: And then you got a you know, if you live in a neighborhood, you have to put out your fire pit and set up a bar for all the moms and dads.
Speaker 5: Yeah you got you gotta get beers.
Speaker 1: I've seen it.
Speaker 7: I've got to get those. Yeah, you gotta get high noons. You gotta get beers. You gotta get some some wood for the fire pit, set up a whole thing on your driveway. Yeah, so trick or treaty and costs me about two hundred bucks. You're right cool, And that's why I hand That's why I hand out one piece of pant of that what's that old yellow candy corn. Yeah, one piece of candy corn. Here you go Sunday, don't choke on it. Uh, Johnny, what else are we talking about? What's what the non refundable stuff going on these days? As far as I've done some travel lately, had a college reunion, went in to see mom, and I tell you, you go to buy an airfare now, and it's like, oh, you could spend four hundred dollars or you could spend three hundred dollars for the non refundable Basic economy. You guys flow basic economy.
Speaker 2: Oh I've done.
Speaker 7: Oh miserable. You know you're the last people to board. You don't get a seat, Like you go to the airport, you have no idea what your seat is. Then they're like, oh, you can't put your bag in the overhead bin, right, I mean, it's just awful and it's non refundable. Mean you can't change it. You got you got a seat on the flight. And if you want to change it now, baby nah, because you bought Basic economy. Hotels are doing the exact same thing now with prepay you can get that hotel room for one hundred and seventy five a night or one hundred and twenty five a night if you prepay no changes, And it's becoming a real dilemma because you're like, Okay, I think I'm going away this weekend. You know, I might want to go see, you know, a UC game out of town, or just visit family or something. But it's like, what if I need to change something?
Speaker 1: Life happens, you know, right, Yeah, that's that happened, big case. And we flew over to London with our sons and I had already I had pre paid for hotel rooms. Well, they canceled our flight, so we had to fly out all the next morning. Well that that night was dead. So I, you know, I call the people and try to convince them like a victim of circumstances. They're like, no, I'm a non refundable. There you go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, watch out, watch out for that non refundabal Yes, especially for a big vacation. If you're going to do it, the thing to do is pay for that. We'll extra for that. Travel insurance usually fly twenty five bucks. You can get that alliance travel insurance to a lot of airlines that'll cover if something happens. Otherwise you get stuck paying that hotel room, your flight's late, you still pay two hundred bucks for that hotel room. So it's one of those things where they're really pushing this non refundable travel anymore to save money because they love it. Airlines and hotels of it, because they're being paid in advance, and they know you can't change anything because they're getting pretty But I tell you, if you need to make any changes, it's.
Speaker 3: Just it's just horrible.
Speaker 2: And it's a debate.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm booking a flight. Do I spend another fifty bucks for a refundable changeable flight? I don't know, But you know, I don't know about you guys. I want a seat. I hate getting down to the gate and I don't have a seat yet. I don't know if I'm sitting. And then you end up, you know, the seat right at the bathroom door. That's the most pleasant flight you will ever have.
Speaker 1: Or between two big, giant fat people and both of them holding babies, crying babies.
Speaker 7: Yes, in the middle seat, yeah, in the middle seat, next to the crying baby and the giant guy who's like Norm from Cheers.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: And then you're back by the by the bathroom with that door flap and open his shut every two minutes.
Speaker 5: And now you just love that.
Speaker 1: Well, between all that, you know, if we didn't have stuff to complain about, John, you'd be out of work.
Speaker 7: You know what. That's the beauty, you know the fact that there's something to complain about and somebody getting steamed every page. I hate it, but you know it gives me things to talk about. So guys, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Don't waste your money, all right, thanks Sean.
Speaker 1: So coming up here next, we're going to be talking to the Lions beat reporter from the Detroit Free Press about, Uh, I've heard something about this team being pretty good the Detroit I watched them against Baltimore a few weeks ago, dismantled. I mean, just put it on that. I'm like, oh, and uh, I'm from and again Baltimore a pretty good team. They haven't put it all together yet, but you know that, and you know around about yeah, right, but we'll we'll talk about the Lions coming to town. But right now we've got the news news radio seven hundred w l W boys an orange.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think every Sunday from here on out it's going to be that. Certainly, this one.
Speaker 1: Is rage, you might be right here to discuss what's going on with the Lions, and if you know anything about the Lions, they're apparently pretty damn good. Let's talk to a guy who knows he's the longtime beat reporter from the Detroit pre Press covering the Lions. He is Dave Briquette. Dave, welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys having me.
Speaker 2: How are you, hey, Dave?
Speaker 1: We're doing great, so, Dave, things are looking pretty good in the Motor City these days. The Tigers advanced yesterday the Lions on a real role. That'd be good times to be a sports reporter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean Detroit sports is a little bit of a resurgence here. I guess right, Tigers, they look like they might blow it there for a minute, the way they finished the season, but I guess came back at the right time and not. The Lions are clearly, you know, one of the best teams in football, so you know they've been playing like it the last three weeks.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true. We were talking earlier, Jason and I were talking about watching them because obviously we know a lot about divisional rival here the Raven and watching what the Lions did to the Ravens was it last week two weeks ago, and they pretty much dismantled a very good football team. What all has because apparently everything is going right for this Lion's team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean, look, the reality is is they've been on the upticks since you know, Dan Campbell and Bradhlmes took over in twenty twenty one, and it took a while to get there. But the last couple of years they've had, you know, as good an offense as there's been in the league. And that's that's certainly the case. Still now they returned just about everyone. Jared Goff's playing great football. I mean, I think he's got career highs and completion percentage and you know, quarterback rating and some of those stats are just really really efficient. I'm and around Saint Brown is you know, coming off two straight all Pro seasons at receiver, they got a good running game, good offensive line, so the offense has really carried them. And then this year defensively, you know, they battled so many injuries on that side of the ball last year. They stayed healthy this year and it showed. I mean, they they lead the NFL and sack rate, and they've just played pretty good football. They started to get some some takeaways. So they're doing a lot of things well right now.
Speaker 4: Davey, you touched on it there with the hiring of Dan Campbell and back in twenty twenty one, that was one of the questions I wanted to ask you. Was you know, for years and years and years obviously the Lions were, you know, the butt of the butt of along with the Bengals, the butt of so many jokes in the NFL. And what I mean, even more on a detailed level, was it just the hiring of Dan Campbell or was it they just changed their way they drafted players, the way they evaluated players. What what was that kind of turning point to Now this team is? This team is tough, Like you just went through everything, I mean, there is strength across the board on this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, they you know, Dan is a huge part of it, you know, just the you know, the leader that he is, right there's a lot of people that swear by him in the building and you know around the league frankly, and some are things that he's done, so he's he's done a great job. But you know, the reality is like they have one of the handful of best rosters in the NFL, and you know they've they've benefited from, you know, good fortune of players like you know, Panay Sewel in that twenty twenty one draft fall into them. He's probably the best right tackle on football right now. And Aiden Hushington with the number two pick of the twenty twenty two drafts, you know, a redraft. Both those guys are probably going number one in their drafts. And you know, the Lions weren't picking first and got them. And they've been able to not just those guys, they've been able to draft well in the middle rounds too. And you know, when you have the type of talent that they do and the ability to withstand injuries and then the culture on top of it, you know that it's sort of self explanatory way. You know, they've been able to put together a couple of straight double digit, you know, win seasons and are certainly trending towards another one.
Speaker 1: Dave Brikett from the Detroit Free Press is our guest as our guest, and Dave, how about Jared Golf. I mean, he's always been good, but man, he's and he's clicked up one or two levels since he came to Detroit. In your mind, is there a reason for that or just okay, it's his time.
Speaker 3: No, you know, I mean I think a lot of people, myself included probably Chuck. Someone's it up to you know, Ben Johnson and the offense that he was in and some of the things that he was doing the last couple of years. And it's really the same offense, new new play caller, new offensive coordinator. But I think it's you know, he's he's opened some people's eyes that it's not that it's not just the system, it's you know, he's the the way that he's playing football is sort of a you know, I mean not just sort of, it's it's a credit to him, and you know, he deserves a lot of a lot of credit for the improvements he's made in his game. You Know, Mark Brunell, the Lions quarterbacks coach, said something today. He said, you know, the three things we sort of asked you know, Jerry to do and really are are keys to leaning our you know, getting in the right play, not turning the ball over, in completing passes. And it sounds really simple, but that's what the Lions have done, and that's what Jared's done. They you know, they protected him really well. He doesn't turn the ball over. You know, he's got multiple dependable receivers, but specifically a guy like Saint Brown who catches everything thrown his way. And and then you know he's he's learned and he's talked about this that he doesn't always have to hit the big play. He can he can trust his skill guys to make something out of that checkdown when it's there. And so that's a big part of why the Lions, you know, seem to score all the just about every time they touched.
Speaker 4: Them all Davey, you hit on it there that they protect golf really well. And when I think the Lions, I just think that, you know, this is a this is a mean, tough team, and that they're good in the trenches. Obviously Aiden Hutchinson's good, but you know, they're good on the defensive line and they're good on the offensive line. You remember when that was was that part of Dan Campbell's really that all changed to. I know you talked about Pinney Sewel. The Bengals passed them by the way they did get Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was gonna say they got a guy called from Mark Chase. Yeah, not too shabby. But and you don't even know I'm sorry didn't rub, but Dave, you don't even know the rigamar role that went on here when they passed on Seoul and took Chase because people were just convinced it was going to be Seuel.
Speaker 4: But this is I mean, you're right, but this is the David's the tale of two teams here. I mean, this is you know, they've talked about it for years here and I'm the columnist for the since a Choir and the Trenches. Their offensive line is not good, their defensive line is weak. And you go over on the other side on Sunday here and that that's an example of you build, you build your team and you're winning team from the trenches out and the Lions, uh, you know certainly have that and can you can you talk about just how good they are up there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I mean so two things I talked to Panay about that this week, right, I mean we sort of know the storyline too, that a lot of people thought the Bengals would take Sewel and Sewell said he he was going to Cincinnati and draft day, and you know, there's no like animosity, but you know, he just said, hey, it didn't happen, and look how it works out right, I'm happy to be here. But the reality is is like that was the philosophy that you know, Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell, but Brad Holmes brought with him. I remember, you know, that was Brad's first draft of Lions GM. Right, it was twenty twenty one. He was still in a hotel, just you know, outside the facility, and I went that morning. I wanted to get in the draft room. They wouldn't let me in the draft room. But I was like, hey, you know, big draft is something that I'll set the home for the franchise. And I went and sat down with them at this hotel that morning and we talked about this and he told me he didn't, you know, tell me who they wanted or what they did, but he said, look, we want to. He said, when I was with the Rams, we built this defensive line and we just stacked these players, right.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn and they took him one after another and it didn't matter that they had multiple linement already. They just figured, like, we want to His words were, we want to build a monster, and he said that's what I want to do here in Detroit. I want to build a monster. And what he was talking about and we ended up talking that night after the draft was on the offensive line, because they had Frank Ragnow who was a pretty good center, and Taylor Decker, who was a pretty good left tackle. And when the Lions looked at that draft, they saw you two pretty good tackles, Rasam Slater being the other one, but they thought Pinasua was elite. And Hank Freley, the Lions offensive line coach, called Taylor Decker before the draft and told them, hey, if this guy's there, were taking them. We're not moving you know, you're not moving positions. But this is what we want to do. And it worked out, I mean, just philosophically what the Lions wanted to do with the right player and a little bit of good fortune, and that's exactly how they've built this roster.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: With that, Dave Brooke ed, we'll let you go. Welcome to Cincinnati on Sunday. I assume you're going to be down here covering the team.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'll see you guys out there.
Speaker 1: Come come down here and get yourself a real coney son.
Speaker 3: My thumb's got football Saturday. I'm not getting into late. I'm not getting into that, right buddy.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, man, all right, we'll see you guys. He is the Lions beat reporter for the Detroit Free Press Dave Brockett. He's an author, four time Michigan Sports Writer of the Year.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to beat writer all the big guys. But yeah, man, just like and you pointed it out, that hadn't even occurred to me, not all that long ago. The Lions were the joke of the league.
Speaker 4: Right and what was it not last seedon the season before they went to the NFC Championship game against the forty nine ers. Yeah, and I know, you know, people were like, whoa the Lions? And how was the big talk? They come from? Where they come from? And Dan Campbell's this cool, big, tough guy and fun and yet tough, and he has a great mix there and it's kind of animated on the sideline and you're like, and you want to run through a brick wall for that guy. And uh, I think that. You know, the fans there love them, and they love that team, and they run the ball and they rush the passer and what a concept. They got a great offensive line, a great defensive line figure and you go from there.
Speaker 1: It works when you do all the fundamental stuff. Good with that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on all right? Back on the Eddie and Rocky Show. Jason Williams from The Inquirer at Cincinnati dot com filling in rock will be back on Monday now. Jason, in your regular column job for the Inquiry, wrote something the other day talking about the Reds now and it's look, it's been talked about from for by everyone. What do the Reds need? And it's time to put up or shut up? As far as bringing the quote of the famous quote bringing championship baseball back to Cincinnati, and yeah, look, fortunately you're going to have to spend some money. And if that ain't happening, it ain't happening. That's exactly what I wrote.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's that they're at that moment now when you look at you know this is you know some of those a lot of those young players have come of age and what did enough And obviously the Mets and let's you know, you hate to dwell on the negative side of it, but certainly all part of the stories that the Mets collapsed and help them get in. But you take nothing away from the Reds. They those guys grinded it out. A lot of those young guys that hey, those are the future, the future that we've heard for decades and decades, or certainly with this group for years. Hey, these guys are the future. They're going to get us to the playoffs. Well, they the future's here, and you know, those guys came of age, many of them, Terry Francona coming here. The thing is is that this is this is what you're going to get from this velocity in this team. They remind me a lot I covered early in my career for the Saint Paul newspaper, The Twins was They're very much remind me of the Twins. Actually, the Twins were nicknamed and what five Uh they were nicknamed the Piranhas because they were scrappy and you asi ge and nicknamed them that. Uh, they called it little, those little Piranhas, and uh, you know, they made T shirts and them and then you know, I said, they're calling these guys the cockroaches. You know, you can't kill them, but this is who they are. Like, this team can probably ads. It is generally speaking, the core of this team can keep growing, and it's gonna grow, and then this is what you're gonna get though, you're gonna you know, you can probably consistently get a wild card or contend for the second or third wildcard spot, but you're not gonna make a deep run unless you go out and get that bat, unless you develop maybe somewhere along the line you were able to develop.
Speaker 1: That bat, you know, but that was the hope for Dayla Cruz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and I know this isn't popular.
Speaker 4: I think the guys, I think the guys, you know what, credit to him for He's still young. He went through a lot this year personally, he battled through injuries this year. He played one sixty two. I think there is a sense of a little bit of overrated with him, certainly from a deficient just overall. The problem with in terms of how fans see him is that he had an incredible six week run when he first came up in twenty twenty three, and he's not been able to live back up to that yet. And he's still only what twenty two years old, so there's still a long way to go. But I think you got to change his position, take some pressure off of him. I think that will help him at the plate. So there's a lot of things not just go out and get the bad. I know it's easier said than done. Oh you know what, You're gonna have to spend a lot of money to do that. You're gonna have to be creative. But there's other things that this club needs to do. And I think they got you know, obviously with Terry Francona, and Terry Francona didn't come out of retirement to go get swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers and they make the third wildcard. This was just step one for him. All right, Now, what are they gonna do?
Speaker 1: Let's see what happens between now and the end of March. Coming up, speaking of cockroaches, we're going to be talking about what's going on the latest with the Diddy Combs trial. It's all coming down to the uh to the sentencing. I reckon. We're going to be talking to Royal Oak from ABC about it. But that's after our news Right now, News Radio seven hundred w LWS and Williams from the Inquire Cincinnati dot Com is with us. But right now, Jace, we have from because everybody's hanging on the edge of their seat finding out what's going on with Diddy. We have Royal Oaks from the He's the illegal analyst from ABC Royal What is going on here?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 1: I've heard that the judge might be moving this postponing everything to Monday, or what are we doing? Well?
Speaker 10: The latest is that Shan Didy Cumbs is getting ready to testify himself in his own behalf of the sentence, and you'll he chose not to testify at trial and actually worked out pretty well for him. He was not guilty of recall, racketeering and sex trafficking, could have landed and imprisoned for life. Instead he got the two prostitution counts. But this comes after six of his kids tearfully testified, a couple of the victim's letters were read, an eleven minute video was produced by his team showing that he's a changed man. So the judge is mulling this over. But the judge so far hasn't seemed very sympathetic to call this position. Judge is saying, look, I think the five to seven year range is about right to start, but based on what I hear today, I could go.
Speaker 2: Up or it could go down.
Speaker 5: So you don't know how it's going to end.
Speaker 2: And he was.
Speaker 4: He was convicted in July of flying people around the country for sexual encounters and including what two former girlfriends.
Speaker 10: Right, exactly right from a girlfriends employees involved, and because he fit the the statute you can't have people cross state lines for purposes of prostitution, he was found guilty and could see up to twenty years. But based on the sentence and guidelines and everything, really we're looking at the range of five to seven as I say, or maybe a little above or below, depending on how the judge interprets all.
Speaker 2: This so royal.
Speaker 1: One of the things I read is that he has quote unquote thrown himself on the mercy of the court. Is that true, and if so, what exactly does that mean? Of course we've all heard that on movies and stuff. I'd have no idea what that means.
Speaker 10: What it means is that he's saying, you're right, I did some terrible things. I am really really sorry. I'm a changed man. I've been rehabilitated, I have genuine remorse. These are all things that could cut that sentence down if the judge believes it. Not a good sign though, because the judge indicated he's not really sure that did he is sincere. So it's not looking great.
Speaker 4: For And this is completely up up to the judge, right, the sentence thing. There's no jury now right that that decides this. This is strictly the judge that makes the call.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 10: The jury votes to convict, the judge sets the sentence. But the second circuit go to appeals in New York, they could overturn either the trial result or the sentencing result and not of course, we'll be attacked by Didy's lawyers.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Royal, let me ask you one final question. Is this appealable if you know any sentencing and whatnot, or is this a done deal it's just a matter of the sentencing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, everything is appealable. So what happens now is his lawyers will do the heavy lifting, coming up with briefs saying, hey, you know what, your honors on the appellate panel, this wasn't prostitution. This wasn't some sort of a brothel deal. This was a performance art, a private deal. It wasn't making money on it. So that's going to be his argument on appeal.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we'll be real curious to see how this shakes out, Manu Royal Oaks, Thanks so much your bet. Thanks. Uh, you know, no matter how it chakes out, I don't want to be diddy right now.
Speaker 4: No, And from all the stuff that was going on earlier in this whole case, sounds like this thing was reduced down pretty significantly.
Speaker 1: So when you were covering, did you ever cover hard news or was it always sports?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I always covered sports, covered business for a while, and then I covered politics for several years. I never covered hard I did a couple of news shifts here and there back early my days in the Inquiry, we had to do a weekend breaking news shift, you know, car crashes, crime, stuff like that, but uh, nothing like on a full time basis.
Speaker 1: Because when Debb was working a channel night she used to cover stuff like that all the time, and it was that's one of the reasons she gave what she was on, you know, doing on scene stuff and all that stuff and would come home and just tell me the stuff that she had seen or stuff she had heard in court. And yeah, it finally just wore down. I just I don't want to do this anymore. I was like, don't do it. You're driving you nuts.
Speaker 4: You know, I've told this story before and I've written about it, but the first time and the last time I ever covered a and it's certainly it's hard news, but separate from what we're talking about here. But I remember it was a Saturday night. I was on a news breaking news shift for The Inquirer and I it was out in Walnut Hills, I don't know, eleven o'clock or so. I went out there, saw the dead body on the ground and the police work in it. It was I mean, I cried on the way home. I like lost it because I was like, right, who, like who would do like? And you know, like you see it and obviously you read about it, you hear about on the radio, you read about it, but then to see it and it was like and it made me think too about cops. My brother is a cop in Columbus. Like hops and hard news reporters that are covering this stuff on a regular basis and they go out and you know, we've we've got a whole team of people at the inquiry that they go out and they cover stuff like this, and it's like, yeah, I know WLW has news reporters will go out and see you know, it's like that's a tough job.
Speaker 1: And speaking of news, I believe we have we have hold on And hey, Sean, could you turn on the microphone next to Jason are we there? Yeah, we got you now.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I thought you'd want to hear this. It just came down Sean Combs is going to spend four years in.
Speaker 1: Prison and we just got off with the ABC there and they had not known that yet.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they just decided. He said that the judge said that he needed to have a substantial sentence to deter other people and his you know, his home life was hard. You know, he did great works also as a as an artist, but this is serious stuff. And so he's gotten a little over four years in prison sentence and it's still happening right now. So I just wanted to break in. We'll have more coming up at five.
Speaker 1: All right, Sandy, thank you so much, and that it's it's funny that Royal was sitting right there when this was going down, yep, and it happened in that quick a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: But you know, don't you don't you think that kind of there has to be some kind of sentence he has to pay some kind of vice, man, because like you said, like you said, coming into what we're talking about right now, it was it was greatly reduced from what it very well could have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, well, roy and Royal talked about it too. All the all the original charges he could have ended up facing up to life in prison for right, and then it came down to what the two charges on. It's just it's just it's hard to comp like flying girlfriends around the country.
Speaker 1: Essentially, that's what he was doing.
Speaker 4: Awful And it also feels like you're only going to go to prison for four years for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that's why. And that's what that's what gets me, man, is that look at what happened. And Rocky always laughs at me because I'm still pissed off about oj Yeah, yeah, I mean, look at what Ojson. Come on, now, if you think that OJ Simpson didn't decapitate those two people, you are dead wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean the evidence was overwhelming.
Speaker 1: It was over freaking whelming. He had blood basically in his hair. Come on now. Yeah, but you know, he went on to live a fine life for a long time after that, you know, very comfortable. Then he screwed up again and finally ended up doing some prison time, but not what he should have done. And now that's that's what's going to happen with this guy. Yeah, he'll do four years what good behavior, get out in three maybe something like that. Whatever, and uh, and the appeals process is going to go on for a little while, so who knows when it's going to he's going to have to serve this and when he gets out, you know good and well that he's going to write a book. He's going to do you know, there'll be some documentary, he'll do a comeback tour, YadA, YadA, YadA, He'll, you know what, four years out of his life compared to what some of the crap that he did to people, it's a small price to pay.
Speaker 4: Yes, And the only, the only, the only thing that you know, you can hope for is that. And I remember a pastor saying, I believe it was in the ESPN documentary on O. J.
Speaker 2: Simpson.
Speaker 4: That there was a pastor quoted in that as saying, like, you know, O. J. Simpson should have been an absolute model citizen, helping kids, doing all kinds of charity work. You know, he still had all this privilege, you know, so he had the resources to do all that. Instead that you know, he went and then committed that crime in Las Vegas, and didn't you know he had a second chance, so to speak, to go make something of his life, you know whatever that the court at the court made that decision, and you know we all know that wasn't the that wasn't the right decision was made. And so he you know, you can't be tried twice, so go go do something good with your life and help people. And that's all you I mean, you got to try to look at the positive. Well let's uh, let's see what happens. Well that's what that's what did he was trying to sell is right then he was like, well, what what Royal Oak was talking about a little while ago that he was in prison and he's given classes to inmates and teaching him how to be a businessman and all this crap whatever. Man Like I said, he did some very heinous stuff. Yes, and like I said, four years is a very small price to pay considering what he did to people and how he affected people's lives. But uh he did raise the stock of baby oil quite a bit there at a certain certain time baby oil and bulk.
Speaker 2: That's uh.
Speaker 1: I aspire to uh live that way with that. We check in with traffic and weather, what is going on. He's he's all over the face of the planet.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: And tell, old buddy of mine. When Michael floor Wax was a was a comic. He always on tour and that was one of his bits and he had to see floor Wax. But Wax would always like you, ma'am, you ever see those magazines and them back where that have the uh maps on them, that where everybody flies. And of course the person would be, oh yeah, he'd be like one.
Speaker 4: Of them, Michael floor Wax.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Wax was well. He was funny.
Speaker 1: But anyways, that's that's our Rocky. But here's a guy who has traveled but not all that far.
Speaker 2: Jez, he's back.
Speaker 1: He's like a just like a.
Speaker 6: Bad man, bad like well, I was like the Red until they got out of the playoffs there, you know, they're like cockroachers.
Speaker 3: Back to us the.
Speaker 2: Pride of Chagrin Falls, Ohio.
Speaker 1: There he is, I love.
Speaker 5: What do you bring that up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's our good friend Frank Marzullo, now of w c P O nine News. Frankie, welcome back to the media world.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I have come.
Speaker 6: I was in like an isoberic It was an isobaric chamber for seven months, you know.
Speaker 3: Me and me and Walt Disney.
Speaker 6: We were in.
Speaker 2: Larry King one of those two. That's just Larry Kings in there. Yes, I was supposed to be a Parker.
Speaker 1: Well, Walt Disney's head. There's something minute, that's the rumor.
Speaker 5: Right. No, hey, good to talk to you guys. Yeah, I'm excited to be to be back.
Speaker 6: Have a you know, have a job, have a purpose.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cool when you have a job. But for people who don't know, you are now co hosting the Channel nine Morning show, Yes, the.
Speaker 6: Morning News the program. So for what eighteen years as a meteorologists, I guess I still am a meteorologist, right, but yeah, I've transitioned. You know. I think here here's the deep part, Eddie. I think you know, through life, when you get to a certain age, you go, Okay, are we going to continue on this path or should we take a little break, kind of regroup.
Speaker 3: A bit and see if there's a new path.
Speaker 6: And the folks of Channel nine were very generous, very kind to invite me to talk, have a conversation, and here we go, here we are. Yes, I'll be anchoring the news of kristin Savia every morning from four point thirty to seven, and you've got the Good Morning America cut ins and then you have the noon every other day.
Speaker 5: I'll be doing the noon.
Speaker 6: But yeah, telling tell them the story, just not telling weather.
Speaker 3: Stories as much?
Speaker 2: Right, right?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: So Sis, how much? How much?
Speaker 4: How much of a difference? I mean, you've always thought of you as a great storyteller. But how much of a difference is that going to be for you? Or is it going to be that big of adjustment at all?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't think it's good. It's not going to be.
Speaker 6: It's not as if you know, I only did weather all those years, right and I hosted the show there from nine to eleven, and I you know, it was always involved in community issues and you know very much so when it came to you know, pitching story ideas, and people came up to me and told me their stories all the time, uh, you know, or or gave me a suggestion, Hey, can you come check out this in my community? You know this is going on. And that time I'm like, well, I can tell you if it's going to rain. But I've always wanted to dive into that and I would take those stories and pass it on to other people. Well, now I don't have to pass them on to anybody. I can take them and run with them and help people find, you know, solutions. That's one of the nice things that they're that I really I've been rejuvenated guys a little bit here, right. You know, you do something for about eighteen years and you get kind of stuck in your rut and then you realize, heck, and there's a lot of really good storytelling going on.
Speaker 3: That's the thing too.
Speaker 6: There's you know, every everybody in town does great jobs. But I've seen over the last three four weeks.
Speaker 7: You know, behind the scenes and whatnot, these you know.
Speaker 3: Really young reporters.
Speaker 5: I'm not young, and you know, non experience, but just.
Speaker 6: You know, eager, ready to go, and they tell great stories and we're trying to find you know, real.
Speaker 7: Issues that you know, and the news isn't all bad.
Speaker 3: I'm sick and.
Speaker 6: Tired of everybody going, oh, the news was so bad. Yeah, there are some bad news, but there's also there's also some positive.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: But Frank, I told you. I was sitting there having lunch in my my humble abode. Yeah, underwear made my underwear, of course, and the smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer, having my turkey sand.
Speaker 6: And hittering a little online gambling.
Speaker 1: But of course, of course I was doing that. But I hear I had the TV on in the other room, and of course it was on the nine New News, and all of a sudden, you come on and you and I have been friends for a long time. I didn't know you were doing that, And I'm sitting there going, maybe that sounds like Marsulo, it's Frank.
Speaker 6: I was like, I giving your lovely wife obviously was in the business many years. I would you know, give me some feedback, give me some feedback.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, we were watching you today.
Speaker 2: She was like.
Speaker 1: We were both like told you. We both commented like, dude, you've just settled right into it. It's kind of cool, considering this is not really what you ever did, especially on a regular basis. I mean obviously standing in front of the camera and doing the weather and stuff. This is a whole different.
Speaker 3: Thing, No, it is.
Speaker 5: It is a different thing.
Speaker 6: And you know, I went to journalism school obviously, right, And it's and I think too being in Cincinnati for as long as I have and and the opportunities I have been given and the people I've been interact with, you know, whether it's you know, folks like you had a Jason, I mean, or just you know, average show. We're all average shows, but just down down the street. It really it's I'm not saying it made it easier, but it's made it a kind of an easier transition that that I don't think I obviously need to prove myself in that aspect, you know what I mean. But like at the same token that people were going, oh wait a second, yeah, I get this.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and uh and so here you are in the nine year room.
Speaker 6: And and that and see I'm a big you and I were big media geeks, you know, throughout life, and I was big like television geeks and like.
Speaker 5: To work for you.
Speaker 6: I mean, above my desk is a picture of l shadowcouty looking down on me.
Speaker 5: I think they purposely put me in that put me on.
Speaker 6: That desk because because like, well, hold on a second, because I mean that that's the that's the gold standard right there, from back.
Speaker 2: In the day.
Speaker 6: But no, it's great, Frank, and everybody's been very kind. And I'm not gonna I promise. I told Jennifer Catchmark, I said, I'm not going to say, you know, eighty four three.
Speaker 9: I think it should be eighty three.
Speaker 1: You know, I should just walk during up during the middle of her cast and go. I didn't see that at all. I was following this radar and that's completely.
Speaker 6: Right, you know, I think I think that front slowing up a little bit.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 6: I was completely joked. I've known Dread for a lot time, her after her son and my son were born.
Speaker 5: On the same day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the same year.
Speaker 2: Did you, Frank?
Speaker 4: I knew you for in the interim there you went up and did some uh work for a station up in your hometown Cleveland area.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you? Did? You? Was?
Speaker 4: Was it was the goal always to get back on the air in Cincinnati or were you willing to go anywhere?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 6: I mean I you never say never, right, I mean, if if.
Speaker 3: From al Broker called and said, hey, you want to come over, okay by talk to you next year. Kids.
Speaker 2: No, I'm kidding, I'm joking, but no. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The goal, the goal was always at the state to stay here number one. And in my interim, I really I wanted to follow the Eddie Fingers trail of you know, working Dayton a little bit, go to Cleveland. I know you're up there, Eddie and you know, come back. But yeah, but it was actually kind of cool because I got to work at the station I watched and which is also a script station up in Cleveland. Watching was a little kid, So that was fantastic. Then I I got to and that's the first station in Ohio. Then I got to work in Dayton, uh, you know, in the same room to fill down a huge at his show. Uh they're at channel two. So my wife jokes, he goes, well, when you're driving up to Cleveland for the why don't you just stop in a station of columbnucy they need you to like cu you.
Speaker 3: Need to.
Speaker 4: Either right or is that does Zacharn have its own stations or is it all No, not anymore.
Speaker 3: Not anymore Youngstown, which I've done Youngstown. I've worked in Youngstown.
Speaker 6: Right well yeah, Parker's burden, but no again and we joke. But thank you everybody for all your supports and well because you know you and I think I can say this Eddie, you know, not being too deep here, but you know.
Speaker 3: How right hell yeah, absolutely, well you're doing something.
Speaker 5: Then you're like, okay, now.
Speaker 10: What No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Uh let me let me just warn you. Frank, you got to watch out for that tanyo roarck man.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Still side you, Yeah, she's fantastic. For for a minute long time.
Speaker 5: Everybody listening. Kanya's in that.
Speaker 3: She is working, man, she is a worker.
Speaker 1: She's in there working, drangle me while my wife watches and they and she will plod. Uh buddy, welcome back and everybody check out morning Monday morning. It's what time y'all? You you started a natural.
Speaker 6: Hour four in the morning till seven. And yeah, get ready if it's if I if I mispronounced the call letters out of habits hopefully not, you can you can take a shot there you go, guys, Well.
Speaker 1: Been there, done that son, All right with that, Frank Marzullo. Welcome back, buddy.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, have a good one.
Speaker 6: If you ever need me for anything, give me a call.
Speaker 1: Uh So, Frank is back on on nine News on the Morning Show.
Speaker 2: Frank's a fun guy.
Speaker 1: I'd love to We've been friends for many years and we always have a blast. As you know, I love, love, love local media stories. So I and because I off the air, I'm always asking you, Hey, what's going on this way?
Speaker 2: Frank?
Speaker 4: Frank, Frank knows all that stuff too. Absolutely, Look you guys out for beer?
Speaker 1: Uh oh yeah, I get a come bide, will spill the beans. This history too of local media here, Oh that's great love it. Speaking of local media, she has been hardwired into the local media scene for many, many years. She happened to be lucky enough to be my wife. She is Deborah Haas. Deb are you there? Are you answering me?
Speaker 9: I am, I'm trying to keep my media story to myself.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 4: She wanted you to keep going for accolades there then and now.
Speaker 1: Deb handles the pr for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati and and wanted to get you on right quick near you guys, have you have a great event going on tomorrow at the Findley Market.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well thanks a lot, because it's you know, thank you for introduce me with.
Speaker 5: Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
Speaker 9: I mean, I've been there eighteen years and we're super proud of the work we do. But we also know that there are a lot of organizations around town that are doing great work with youth mentoring and there's you know, there are a lot of things where you know, where we do. You know, we have people to do this several times a month. Some organizations you can do it once a month, or you can do it once a week and kind of thing. So it's called it's a collaborative called we Mentor SINCA, and it's a group of about thirty youth mentoring organizations right here in town. And tomorrow at Finley Market, we'll have a dozen or so of.
Speaker 3: Us down there representing our agency.
Speaker 2: So our hope is.
Speaker 9: That people will come down to Finley tomorrow between two thirty and five thirty just to learn about you know, what are these mentoring organizations and how does it impact kids and what can they do whether it's close to their neighborhood or it's downtown or you know whatever, whatever works in the people's schedule.
Speaker 5: That's what we're trying to do is share with them that.
Speaker 9: Mentoring, you know, is a great thing, and how does it fit into your life and what do you want to do in terms of time and days of the week where you want to be And so we have a lot of organizations all youth mentoring within the greater Cincinnati area, lots of options there. In addition to Big Brothers Sisters, there's Cincinnati Youth Collaborative, there is Adopt the Class, There's Supersedes and Level Up and Saturday Hoops. There's so many that I think people really don't think about how many options they might have to come out and mentor a kid. And I think we can all think about who helped you when you were growing up, Who was a person you could count on that wasn't your dad or your mom or somebody, And these kids need.
Speaker 5: Somebody like that.
Speaker 9: So kind of think about who made a difference in your life and come out and consider being that person for a young person in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: And again, the event is at Findlay Market, what.
Speaker 9: Times Simley Market tomorrow from two thirty to five thirty and God Love Frank Marzulu's channel nine. I'll be on there right and early tomorrow morning talking about it again. But yeah, we'll be there all day with The main event is two thirty to five thirty at Finley and again twelve fourteen agencies will be down there to talk about the way they're mentoring works and how you can find one that fits into your life. And again there are thousands of kids locally waiting to have somebody step up to them, and we hope a lot of people come down and you know, everybody become one of those people.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So with that, I will see you in a little while.
Speaker 3: That'd be great, I hope.
Speaker 2: So thanks.
Speaker 1: You never know, I go hook up with Marzolo and tell stories.
Speaker 2: I'm going to join that.
Speaker 5: I think I can track you.
Speaker 2: Get Jay out there with us too.
Speaker 9: I'll tell him he's right here.
Speaker 1: See you, buddy, my wife. With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what's going.
Speaker 12: On from the UC Health Traffic Center. The UC Cancer Center offers personalized prostate cancer care, exclusive clinical trials and treatments you won't find anywhere else. Call five one three five eight five UCCC southbound seventy one accident between US sixty eight and State Route seventy three that's got the right lane blocked off with a fifteen minute delay to get through there. Another accident on southbound seventy one after fields Irdle that's off on the left shoulder. And two accidents on southbound seventy five, the first one after Shepherd Lane, the other one at Hopple Street. Both of those are on the right shoulder on that eazeleek. On news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center Ford and I clear Skies and fifty seven to four tomorrow sunshine and eighty five. It is eighty four now news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: Did someone say cat fight? Sorry, that's the first thing that came into my mind. Let's move on. De Freud rolls into Cincinnati to take on our beloved Bengals.
Speaker 2: Will the Orange and Blacks.
Speaker 8: And the Lions back up I seventy five with their tail between their legs? Catch the goal live from Dan Ord and Dave Lapham. Coverage starts Sunday at twelve node stream for on the new and improved iHeartRadio app or on seven hundred WLW, Home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Loew's. Upgrade your laundry routine with a durable and reliable