Speaker 1: Boy, let's rock and roll. Let's see if we know how to do this. Still, man, how are you good?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: The happiest person in all the land my wife.
Speaker 1: Let me guess, because you are now out of the house. Correct, and you're not bouncing your ideas off of her and entertaining her and giving her jokes.
Speaker 4: And I'm you know, I'm watching TV. It doesn't have to be the news. It could be freaking let's make a deal. I'm sitting there going that persons stupid?
Speaker 3: Why that is like all I got to go talk to your big friend and uh and leave me alone. Look minute, you never believe this. Yeah, this is funny.
Speaker 4: Look at this this video I see on my iPad right now. She goes, you should It's fine, it's fine, honey.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm going over to my brother's house. You went there last night.
Speaker 3: I want to know this brother.
Speaker 4: But anyways, so rock, let's get down to the business at hand. Well, same as it ever was here in town. Yeah, yeah, I want to get your comments on that, because everybody was barking and now people are really barking about the same old, same old. It's Mike Brown's put out the same letter the last whatever, how many every years in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a frustrating part.
Speaker 1: You and I are going to talk about the Bengals here for the next you know whatever, twelve fifteen minutes, and then later in the show, and we're gonna rant, and we're gonna rave, and we're gonna, you know, talk about all the problems. We're gonna lay it all out and people are gonna call in and agree and maybe disagree, but you and I and everybody knows nothing is going to change no matter what we do. And that's the same part. I guess, you know, you're a little bit you know, I guess hopeful because I mean, yesterday was actually a good thing because they lost and I would say embarrassing fashion a game that in some ways they totally dominated but still wanted to lose in twenty to.
Speaker 3: Eighteen And how many times have you seen it?
Speaker 1: And I thought about this as I was I was actually listening to the game. I came back and watched it, watched it back, and it's like, how many times do the Bengals do this? They have a season that's a very disappointing one, but then toward the end of the season.
Speaker 3: You know, they rattle off like.
Speaker 1: Two straight, three straight, And that's exactly what was happening right the Bengals. After I count of there was two stretches of four straight losses the Bengals had. At one point they'd lost eight of nine games. You know, but they play the Dolphins, they blow them out, blow their doors off forty five twenty one. They then drill Arizona the next week thirty seven fourteen. So you can start to get the feeling, and people talk and even convince yourself, well, you know, hey, man, this team actually isn't that bad. Well then yesterday happened, and it reminded us right that this is a team that has a long way to go. So in that regard, I think it's a blessing that, you know, as much I want the hometown team to win, it's a blessing that they did get blown out and embarrassing fashion, because it doesn't let us go in the off season where the front office can make the case as they've done many times that you've.
Speaker 3: You've heard it, you've seen it.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, we're real close. See we finished strong and we're not that far away. A couple of things. We had a piece and you know, the ball bounces away a couple of times, and we can win the super Bowl, and you know, and people, you know, when you feel when you finish on a high note, you you know things are positive and you can convince yourself that, well, yesterday kind of refocused everybody on. This is a team that is actually not close. It's really damn far away. And hopefully things will change. But like I said, that's the frustrating part is you wonder if they do. I mean, there's not gonna be any changes to the front office, likely no changes to the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: So here we are.
Speaker 4: Well the what gets me And if you haven't seen it, it's it's all over the place online. The Mike Brown statement is like I said, the same statement. I'm sure it's just cutting paste from last year put in a new year. And it's like we're this close, Duke Tobin and uh, the whole coaching staff know what they're doing. They're building a fine you a core da da da da da da da and the results speak. This is the results driven business man.
Speaker 3: Look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and and it's just you get the feeling that.
Speaker 3: They're just laughing at us as a fan. Don't don't you feel that?
Speaker 1: Don't you get the feeling that they're sitting there like, ha is okay whatever they're gonna sut. There may be a handful of people that cancel their PSLs, but guess what, there's a waiting list, so they'll jump back on and we won't miss a beat.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't have you know, we don't have to do wholesale changes.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, I look at my former franchise, The Colts, you know, say that the daughter comes out and talks about, hey, we're gonna hold people accountable, you know, and she's gonna be accountable to the media and answering to questions, and that sort of thing doesn't happen. Like you said, It's almost like a cut and paste, uh, from you know, last year to the year before, maybe eight years ago. And Okay, yeah, we're gonna we're gonna make an effort, but yeah maybe if we feel like it.
Speaker 3: But we're we feel like we're pretty close. We don't need to rock the boat. We don't need to do this in that.
Speaker 1: And I guess is, you know, in a larger sense, when you think about you know, the economy and things like that.
Speaker 3: Well, how things are gonna change?
Speaker 1: Well, things change when people all of a sudden, don't you know, stop buying things right when you say, hey, I'm not buying beef right, So then that that helps maybe drive the price down. Things aren't really gonna change here until wholesale people say, you know what, just not I'm not gonna buy this anymore. I'm not gonna sign up for first season tickets, I'm not gonna go to games, And then maybe things will change. But then in your head you go, will they because there's such a long period of history of the same thing over and over and over, and so what what what hope does that give you that all of a sudden, the light's gonna click on and things are gonna be done differently, and things are gonna be done in a way that models most successful businesses, where they look at their deficiencies they put the full force of everything behind them to address them and move forward.
Speaker 3: You don't get that feeling, so.
Speaker 4: Let me let me ask you you having played the game, I was this close, you know, I almost got the leak there, But don't even worry about it. You know, dreams don't don't come true sometime. But listen, I see this stuff on social media and you do too. Everybody does Zach Taylor, walord fire Zach Taylor, you having played?
Speaker 3: Is he up to this task?
Speaker 4: Because I've seen multiple writers say he obviously folds under the under the spotlight of a big job. And this is a big job because he's got really big talent.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: I just don't I don't place the brunt of you know, my you know.
Speaker 3: My fervor towards towards him.
Speaker 1: I I just think it's it's the it's the top down, and those are things that are never gonna change. I mean, now, did Zach Taylor make some decisions and do some things that are not at an eight.
Speaker 3: Level elite level.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But you know, given what the circumstances in which he has to operate, you just wonder how how differently it would be if he was, you know, better supported by by management and better supported from the front office. So yeah, there's I mean, certainly a season like this where you win, you know, you go six and eleven, and as I said earlier, you have multiple stretches where you lose a month's worth of games at times, everything should be called into question. To me, it's still just how things are run from the front office and the selection of the players. That that that has been the constant over head coaches, over Marvin Lewis, over Zach Taylor, over everybody you know that that's been before them as well. The constant has been the management and it's kind of been the same story over and over.
Speaker 4: Well, look at what happened in Cleveland with the Kevin Stefanski, that poor guy two times and fole coach of the Year. And because the the ownership again and talk about really ownership group, that is that poor guy didn't have a chance that whole Deshaun Watson think, come on, man, that was and it had screwed up that franchise for probably the better part of tensible years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but that that is exactly my point.
Speaker 1: It's like, Okay, fire Zach Taylor and bring in name a person Nick Saban, I don't care, name the greatest coach you could ever think of, and start to really think about is that going to make things drastically different?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: And in the same way, Kevin Stefanski knows football, he never get how to coach football.
Speaker 3: But but they're gonna you know, some franchise franchises do that.
Speaker 1: They just keep you know, fire coaches every two years and expect things to change when they should be looking in the mirror.
Speaker 4: And that's the exact same thing the Bangles should be doing. Let's let's get a call in and talk to Matt right quick. Hey, Matt, what's going on, buddy?
Speaker 6: So I struggled for many, many years as a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks. I mean, through through twenty years of terrible seasons as a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks. Now, mind you, it's been thirty plus with the Brown ownership. But there was a poll years ago of the worst owner in professional sports and the only person who finished beneath Mike Brown was the guy William Wurtz. They called him dollar Bill Wirtz because of how cheap he was, and when he finally died, they boot him at his memorial service. And that the Blackhawks won a Stanley Cup two years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there's certainly a parallel there.
Speaker 4: And thanks Matt, boy. Yeah, that's you see that guy we're talking about Stefanski getting fired for they you know, trying to do the best of a job. He could under the circumstances. And but Mike Brown, God bless his heart. Yeah, is he kind of let me ask you this, is he kind of admitting, yeah, I'm the problem here. Don't blame that guy. Has has Lem in Cleveland saying well, I've given them all the opportunities of the world, all the tools, but Stefanski screwed it all up. Is Mike Brown just saying, Hey, I'm the problem. Don't blame that guy.
Speaker 3: He stays on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I don't know if he believes that or not, but he certainly is not not changing. When things are are not done at a high level, you change. The thing I always keep bringing up how many times did I say it on Bengals Monday is when we talk about them after the game, Like what what most companies do is when they feel like, you know, they're in second place and their their their profits are are dwindling, and their their shareholder and all that sort, they look at what what are the top three companies in our field doing? How are they doing things? What what's you know, what's Google doing, What's Apple doing? What's Microsoft? How are they running their day to day operations in the same vein the Bengals should look to the Rams and the Eagles and you know, the Broncos and these these franchises that that have a history a track record of you know, yeah, there's some down year. It's a competitive business. You're gonna have some down years. But but but over a vast stretch of time, seemed to be doing things the right way. Well look at that, Well what are they doing. Well, God, well, if they have you know, two or three times the amount of scouting staff we do, and they're pretty good at picking, well, maybe we should do that, Maybe we should change it shouldn't just be well, that's how my old man did it, So that's how we're going to continue to And I just feel like that's.
Speaker 3: What it goes down to it.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was young and in the eighties and the seventies, this is how we did it, and this is the amount of people we had on staff, and this is what we spent on this and that, and you know, and we've had some good years where that worked.
Speaker 3: But it's a consistency thing.
Speaker 1: It's not where the Bengals haven't been able to consistently stay at the top or knock on the door of getting in the big game and being a perennial just our house. They haven't done it, and you just wonder do they do?
Speaker 3: They lack the desire to want to change things. And I think the answer is they don't.
Speaker 4: Well look it as much as I it pains me to say, the Steelers, how long has that been a very successful operation? Have they won it all?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But have they won how many rings?
Speaker 2: Six?
Speaker 4: But always in it, always in the mix. Always it seems like one of the most premier again painful for me to say, one of the most premier clubs in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: Now, those people know what they're doing, man, And I don't know what the difference is. How you get to your point? How can you not look at that and go, let's copy some of that?
Speaker 3: At least let's do a deep dive here. I want to. I want to let's take all you ten people sit around this table, just you dive into that area.
Speaker 1: You dive into that area and figure out where what are the Steelers doing, What are the Eagles doing what? And then and then line that up with what we're doing and how we're doing it, and let's determine what should we change or maybe we don't need to change this, but look at this area here where they're doing this. Maybe something to do it differently, and it's it just doesn't seem to be Uh have the desire for that to happen.
Speaker 4: Let's get another call in Rock. We got Ben in Miamisburg. Hey Ben, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Buddy?
Speaker 7: Hey hey, gentlemen, Just to quit. A couple of things I want to say. First, love the show, long time listener, first time caller, I can make it quit. Couple of points, Rocky, you you first said it. Consistency. There's no consistency with this team in and out each week. I've been a fan of the Bengals since I've been in the third grade. There's no consistency whatsoever. I don't know what it is, but it's from the top down, That's what I've seen. Because when you go out and beat Miami the week before and you beat the tar off of them, and then they can't do anything this week against Cleveland, there's an issue. Then when it comes to Duke and Zach, we finally got a playoff win.
Speaker 2: Whoope do twenty.
Speaker 7: Twenty three thirty years Unfortunately, in my opinion, I don't see Zach Taylor ever being replaced because we know we had Marvin for what sixteen fifteen years and absolutely no playoff wins because in my opinion, he was a yes man because anything we can do pretty much, I think Mike Brown will say I'm gonna tell you how to jump at.
Speaker 2: They're gonna say how high?
Speaker 7: And unfortunately, that's how it seems that this franchise is going and is always.
Speaker 3: Going to go.
Speaker 6: And I pray to the man upstairs.
Speaker 7: That we do not have an Andrew Lux situation with Joe Burrow saying I'm tired of getting beat up on and just not having fun like he's been saying.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: Of course he's got a couple hundred million dollar reasons to say that he can still say, but that's a that's just come from somebody that's just tired of it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: No, you makee a couple of good points.
Speaker 1: Number One that okay, yes and whatever. I just think it's made clear whoever the head coaches doesn't matter that Hey, okay, we you know we want you to be the coach and take this job. But here's how it's gonna go. Okay, there's no question about that. And the first good point made was. You talk about consistency, and consistency doesn't mean doing the same thing even you know, even if if it may have worked, you don't go, well, god, well we did the same thing we did and you know, and whatever it was two thousand and one we went to the super Bowl. So we'll just no, things evolve, things change, The league changes. You know, what works on offense changes, what works on defense changes. How to build your roster that changes, how to manage the salary cap that change.
Speaker 3: It evolves.
Speaker 1: It's not like it's drastically different, but there's a flow to it, and you got to stay ahead of that flow.
Speaker 3: And they just don't.
Speaker 1: Consistency is not as consistency can in your head sometimes being well, that just means doing the same thing. No, it means it means keeping a standard a certain level. But if you have to adjust things as they evolve, you do that to maintain consistent excellence.
Speaker 3: And I just don't think that's happening.
Speaker 4: Well, Rock, we consistently bring you the traffic and weather together.
Speaker 3: Look at that. Look at that early in the year.
Speaker 2: You're already on Rick.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: You're all over written.
Speaker 8: You didn't miss a beat from the UC Health Traffic Center. UC Health's Weight Loss Center offers a surgical and medical obesity caaren expertise called five one, three, nine, nine, twenty two, sixty three and seventy one near writing is an accident west but police getting that cleaned up. Seventy five southbound and Norwood laterally left lane taken up with the crash here seventy five northbound after the viadoct getting the Portslomon accident on the right shoulder. And we have two seventy five sowing at the Indiana Kentucky state line with the work at the Carroll Cropper Bridge, and the maintenance work is going to continue through March. I'm bridge Shrimpadu's Radio seven hundred W LW.
Speaker 4: The forecast from the seven huns WLW Weather Center Ford to i'd partly cloudy and forty four tomorrow cloudy and fifty seven. It's fifty four now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: The War on Drugs drives on first dope running boats, intercept it now the capture of Venezuela's president. Will there be any more regime changes? Countries invaded or cartels contained? Cheap it Here for the latest news Radio seven hundred WLW. This report is sponsored by Brad Versus Everyone podcast.
Speaker 3: Dangerous Social Media Trends it is.
Speaker 1: It's going to be back in the saddle with your partner as we kick off. Wow, twenty twenty six. Huh, shake off the dust man.
Speaker 2: En, let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I barely got used to it being twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I feel like late into the year I would mistakenly write twenty twenty four and go, oh no, it's twenty five, and now I got to go to twenty six.
Speaker 3: Well, see you.
Speaker 4: That's the thing with all the digital stuff that we're doing now, you pay you know, writing checks. Of course, when I was a single man, yeah, i'd be writing whatever, eight ten checks a month, paying bills and stuff. Well, we know, I never write a check anymore.
Speaker 3: I didn't know those places he went to took checks.
Speaker 4: Well, I went to the same place, Terry Spring.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Anyways, I'm good for it. But so it's easy to forget what year it is. You don't really need to know it anymore.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, because yeah, yeah, there's that's a great point. You're not writing checks and all that stuff the way you used to. It's all digitally automatic withdrawal just comes out. It comes round, which trust me, my wife knows that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It was all about anyways, on this Day in History, ed nineteen twenty. This is interesting because I think Willie kicked off his show in nineteen twenty talking about this because this was a big deal and he was doing the night Show, I believe at that point. But big news, big news in the sports world. New York Yankees announced the purchase of Babe Ruth. The New York Yankees major League club announces it's purchase of the heavy, heavy hitting outfielder George who Hermann Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox for the sum of one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars, which for then was you know, it was probably pretty big. So in all, Ruth had played six seasons with the Red Sox, leading them to three World Series victories, and of course.
Speaker 3: You know he was on the mound.
Speaker 1: Pitched a total of twenty nine and two thirds scoreless World Series innings, sitting new league record that would staying for forty three years.
Speaker 3: His nineteen nineteen season, he broke.
Speaker 1: The home run record with twenty nine, led the American League with one hundred and fourteen RBIs hunting three runs. Guy was incredible, I mean, the most incredible player of his day. Despite Ruth's performance, the Red Sox stumbled to a sixty six and seventy one record in nineteen nineteen, finishing in sixth place.
Speaker 3: New ownership then ed took.
Speaker 1: Over the club, and around this time again of year in nineteen twenty, the owner Harry Frazee Rasie for Zee whatever, made the decision to sell Ruth the Yankees for one hundred and twenty five thousand in cash and some three hundred thousand dollars in loans. After the sale, the Yankees took over Ruth's contract, which called for a salary of ten thousand dollars per year.
Speaker 3: Aware of his.
Speaker 1: Value, Ruth demanded a salary raise, which the Yankees of course agreed to, and that turned off to be a very great investment deal paid off. Ruth went on to smash his own home run record nineteen twenty. He hit fifty four home runs that year, fifty nine homers in nineteen twenty one. You know, dominated the game for years and years and years. The house that Ruth built World Series titles, So you know, you get what you paid for in life, ed the Yankees paid one hundred and twenty five grand for maybe the greatest baseball player of all time, and it worked out.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 4: I always, of course, we'd all like to have seen him play, but I always wanted to see him pitch. Like you just said, you know, apparently he was an awesome pitcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was. I mean it's it's you know, show hey Otani, you know where he was just unstoppable on the mound and then could walk up to the plate and jack home runs out. And I don't follow, you know. I try to follow the Reds as much as I can of their hometown team. Of course root for him, but I don't follow all of baseball the way I used to when I was a kid. I used to know all about everybody, right, but I so I feel like I missed the how dominant and amazing Otani is because I'm not living and breathing you know, Dodgers highlights or you know that that kind of thing all you but you hear these things, they're like, God, this guy's incredible.
Speaker 3: He's he's doing these things in.
Speaker 1: Today's baseball with these players and all the technology and the you know, the nutrition and all the modern things that are going on.
Speaker 3: This guy is still able to go out and do it. I mean, he's he's incredible.
Speaker 4: Well see to that point. Not to sound like an old guy, but I am. That's why I missed big Back when I was a kid, we had a newspaper every single day at my house. Yeah, and I remember I would sit down, I made a point of it. I don't know if it did it every day, but three or four days a week, I went through box scores and just checked, you know, you know, you had your favorite players from all over the league and stuff. Of course I was a Giant Reds guy, but you know, and and you knew their status, you knew what they were doing. And then that's how you because well, for one thing, if you didn't watch, there was only a baseball game a week, right, so to see other teams play, and if you were lucky, there were whatever thirty five forty Reds games on TV a year. But yeah, so if you wanted to follow people like that, you really had to pay attention. And you know, look at the paper. I'm not going to go online and go, oh, what hell Tony did last night? Because if you did the reason you're doing it is because you had money on him to strike out in the third inning or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sadly, I think that's driving a lot of the fandom, if you want to call it that in baseball.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's uh, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I remember doing the same thing checking box score because I was a huge Bo Jackson fan.
Speaker 3: All right, this is you know, eighty seven eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Of course there's no internet, and yeah you get to get the inquiry and rushing the bat.
Speaker 2: What did bow do?
Speaker 5: They?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he hit another home run and you know, and then you know Sports Center was coming out a little bit, but you know, we didn't have cable and all that stuff, so yeah, you got some highlights. Kind of very rare. I remember watching the show. I remember on the show This Week in Baseball or whatever. Yeah, yeah, that's that web notes, baby, come on web Notes man. Yeah, you had to watch that show because again, like if you had a you were just a baseball fan, or you had a fan of a of a certain player, like for me, Bo Jackson, watch that show just eyes glued, like, man, what did he do? The Royals played the Tigers yesterday whatever, and you.
Speaker 4: Know you wanted to see how I did now it was now it went well, same way with the NFL Films show every week this week in the NFL or whatever is it called. And man, I used to watch that show every I think I was out on I think came out on Saturdays. I don't remember to have highlights from the weeks. But that was what made the Monday Night football Howard Cosell doing the you know yesterday or you know, yeah Monday and footballould be yesterday's games, so he would do it. Oh well, blah blah blah. You know I'm doing well anymore. I'm doing Willie h like a right Howard Cunningham. Right, But anyways, rock in sadder news now it Uh you're you're your dog Yelvis.
Speaker 1: Yes see he passed away yesterday and uh at the age of sixteen. If you recall I'd talked to December first about his birthday, he turned sixteen years old. Just absolutely miracle dog right to be a Golden Retriever and lived at sixteen. Well we knew at the time he was he was fading, but in a way he had been fading for like three years, you know what I mean. It's like I've said it before, but I look back through my phone and you go back to like like twenty you know, twenty three, and you're like, and I have a picture of him on his birthday, and I remember always thinking like, well, this may be the last picture, so you know, let me get it for him on his birthday. And he'd live another year. I mean, do the same thing, live another year. And it so was increase credible how long you lived and how aware he was for a while, I'd say in the last honestly year, like he was not very you question, like his eyes. You looked into his eyes and there was like a hollowness to them, which was which was sad. But he was aware, and you know, and he's moved around. But it got tough.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Anybody just had a dog that's passed away from old age, knows, you know, when they you know, they can't walk and they have accidents and you got to pick them up and help him out. And I was doing a lot of that for the last certainly the last six months, if not a year, I mean.
Speaker 2: A lot of it.
Speaker 3: He's a good dog be doing that too, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: But you know, I always tried to you know, keep him moving. I think you in life, whether it's a you're a dog or you're a human, if you don't use it, you lose it.
Speaker 3: So I try to in the morning.
Speaker 1: I kind of got my routine where I dropped drop my son off at school, and then I go and try to take the dogs for a walk, and I listen to all the you know, college football podcasts and all the things I got to do to get ready for the day. And so I think that kind of helped him keep going. But you know, this year again it felt like it was it.
Speaker 3: Was more pending.
Speaker 1: And then I was out of town doing the Liberty Bowl whatever day that was, and my wife sent me she said, hey, because I just want you to know. I tried to give Elvis up a pancake and he wouldn't eat it. I'm like, and that's always the sign, right when the dogs don't want to eat or drink. So then, I mean, yesterday was was hard because I had the I had to call the Stag Bowl, which was a great game by the way in Canton, Ohio, and I and at that point I knew he was going. I knew it, and he was. He was laid out all the way and I just I wanted him to go so I could be there to bury him. I wanted to bury my own dog, you know, and for a lot of reasons. First of all, my wife and my other you know, my kids and my brother in law didn't have to deal with it. But you know, I kept saying, buddy, it's okay, you can go, like you know it, it's fine, so I can.
Speaker 3: I can take care of it.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it got to be like twelve thirty one o'clock and I hate to leave. I had to answer three and a half four hour drive to Canton, and I got a game, I got a call.
Speaker 3: I can't be messing around. So very sad.
Speaker 1: I just had to say, but buddy, cause I knew when I got back, you wouldn't he wouldn't be there, and you know, and during the halftime of the game, my wife's like, look, I don't want to bother you with this, but you know, he passed And so.
Speaker 3: That was sad.
Speaker 1: But again, I feel in a way silly because there's people going through.
Speaker 3: Much harder losses in life.
Speaker 1: I got a buddy whose mom just passed away, got a friend who died, you know, young in his thirties. I mean that that's real tragedy. This was not a tragedy. I mean, he was sixteen years old and he's a dog. So I don't want to. I hope everyone understands what I'm saying here, but you know, it's sad when I guess for me, especially because you know, through.
Speaker 3: All the changes in my life.
Speaker 1: You know, I retired from the NFL in like January of two thousand and ten, and I had had and I got Elvis, and that was kind of like, you know, and I was like, Okay, well, am I gonna do with the rest of my life?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And there's lots of hard time trying to figure out what that was going to be and find my next career and all that. And then through marriage and through one kid, then two kids and three kids and ups and downs, the one constant was Elvis buddy, and he and my buddy, and he was always there for me and great. So I'm very appreciative of the time I got to spend with him. And again, a one in a million dog to live that long, and I mean even at the very end, I mean, the guy's the kid that got Dog's heart. It must have been the strongest thing ever because his body is literally quitting, but he just keeps breathing, keeps breathing. And uh but anyway, and I'm just very appreciative of him, and thanks to all the folks that reached out.
Speaker 3: But he was a wonderful dog.
Speaker 1: And as I said on social media, long Live the King Baby.
Speaker 4: Salute Elvis. With that, we check in with traffic and weather Rick what's going on.
Speaker 8: But from the U SEE Health Traffic Center, you see Hell's Way Lass Center offer surgical and medical obesity care and expertise. Called five one three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three seventy five southbound near Town Center lane blocked. Traffic is sewing from Sheppard and we have about an hour delay here as the center lane is blocked. Vehicles are stuck behind this crash and the countra fol lane can get out. It's a bit of a mess. If you can't avoid the area, do so. Seventy five north bound Mitchell to Town. It's stop and go with about a ten minute delay. Southbound seventy five Norwood Lateral is where we've got to the accident. Approaching Norwood Lateral with the left lane taken up and on seventy five southbound between Montal Reagan Highway and Norwood Lateral, it is about a twenty three minute delay with the construction work here. And of course we do have the ongoing accidents that are also affecting traffic in the reading between Seymour and at Los Aandeville Road is where we've got an accident as well, and police getting that cleaned up as well. My bricks producer Radio seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 4: The forecat from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight partly cloudy and forty four, tomorrow cloudy and fifty seven it's fifty four and now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: Maybe you missed one of our shows because you were held captive in a tree by an angry cookie baking nol.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's I'll teach you to kick your hands up my fudgsticks.
Speaker 3: Oh don't worry.
Speaker 10: You can get the podcast of our shows and here what you miss check them out on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Add the music we listen to.
Speaker 11: All I've talked.
Speaker 4: By the way, let's get a couple of calls in while we can rock. We got Greg in Michigan. Hey Greg, thanks for holding buddy.
Speaker 5: What do you have, Hey, Rocky, mister positive? Sorry about your dog, Elvis. That's my hero, Elvis, Aaron Presley, the King, You've got great taste? Yes, and again sorry, I got to ask you real quick. Do you know a guy named Pat Caputo and Detroit Radio sports?
Speaker 3: I've heard I heard the name.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, he was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer and he was a big personality here in Detroit. Very sad, very sad. Life is short, everybody. You got to go for your dreams. But real quick, Uh, Cincinnati Bengals and the Detroit Lions are in the same boat going forward. What do you what do both teams need to do? You got Joe Burrow, which is fantastic. We got golf, which is he's pretty good and all that good stuff. But what do you think was the demise for both? Uh, Cincinnati and Detroit? Are they both commensurate with just poor coaching?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I would.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you feel, but I feel like Dan Campbell was one hell of a coach, you know, and they were so close last year and you get that close and you don't win it, It's hard to get back there.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I ask Bengals fans, right, go to the Super Bowl and unfortunately lose the Rams and then okay, well we'll get back next year. We've got the same pieces coming back. And I just know from playing it, it's not that easy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My rookie year, we went to the AFC title game and then the next year made the playoffs. But then then the next year I think won you know, five games. It's it's hard, especially when there's factors that you're dealing with. And that's from an ownership standpoint, and I don't know the ins and outs of what the Lions are dealing with. I know they got great players. I know they got a great coach. I don't know is it there? Is it the front office holding them back? You would know that more than I.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's I think that's the frustration on them. People see the level of talent on this the offensive side of the ball on this team. Let's face it, if you if you had the Bengals offense and the Browns defense, you would have one hell of a football team.
Speaker 3: Yes, can we do that? Is that the way we can them together. Yeah, you know, just create an all star team real quick.
Speaker 1: But no, that's that that that's But but again, with all that said, if you mix the Bengals and the Browns, but you still had the same leadership from the front office standpoint.
Speaker 3: Would anything change?
Speaker 1: I think that's the point we're making is in a lot of regards that you know, yeah, good players will come and some will go, and some will be around. But consistently, you know, nail in drafts and now in free agency year in and year out, everybody's gonna get get lucky and or not even lucky, but but now a pick and it's gonna work out great. And but it's the ones that do it consistently over the years, those are the franchises that that you seem to seem to eventually win it all.
Speaker 4: Coming up next, we're gonna be talking this whole Maduro thing going on, uh in custody and going to stand try and to sort all that out for us and see what the what could all happen with this thing? He goes, I don't understand it. We got our good buddy at Jeremy Rosenthal or legal expert, but that's after the news right now.
Speaker 3: News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 11: Maduro and the Missus with a date in court. This is the four o'clock report. I'm Matt Reese breaking now. The President of Venezuela, Nicholas Maduro and his wife a Rain today in New York. They face drug trafficking charges. The acting president of Venezuela, Delsi Rodriguez, says she's now running the country. President Trump says the US is in charge.
Speaker 12: Conversation that the President is having with regards to that interim government and the leader there. The President has not spoken yet to Delsi Rodriguez. He said that he would have a conversation with her at the appropriate time, but so has issued somewhat of a threat about cooperating with the United States, and if that doesn't happen, he had suggested she would have a faint face of situation that could be worse than Maduro's. The President telling reporters Maduro gave up immediately, signaling she should also be working with the United States.
Speaker 11: And ABC's Karen Travers, Eddie and Roggy talking about the future of the Maduro case. Their guest a legal expert coming up after the news right here on the Big One. But first we check the roads. We have the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center and you see health so weight Loss center offer is surgical and medical ob City Careen expertise called five win three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. We do have the heavier pockets of traffic on seventy five southbound near Town. That's because of a crash taking up the center lane. The latest go back to Sheppard. It is about an hour a slowdown through that area the center lane block, so the vehicles stuck behind me to the crash in the country lan can get out. And we're also looking at seventy five southbound approaching Normwoo lateral with the left lane block now crash here has delays in southbound seventy five on a reagule eye with Norwood latter there's about a twenty minute trip now northbound seventy five Mitchell to Paddic we're looking at about a ten minute delay through the area. And we do have seventy one southbound MLK to four seventy one with about an eight minute trip now with heavy pockets and traffic. I'm Rix Rempany's Radio seven hundred w WELWS.
Speaker 10: Now the latest forecast from the Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Weather Center Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Better for Less.
Speaker 11: Wrestled. This afternoon, mostly sunny, high fifty, mostly claudy forty Tonight, A slight chance of rain before noon Tomorrow that a chance of drizzle afternoon Claudia. Windy day, a high fifty six, mostly sunny on Wednesday and fifty three. There is a fifty percent chance of on Thursday, mostly cloudy with a high of fifty eight fifty six degrees at News Radio seven hundred w WELW. The Ohio State Highway Patrol says twenty six people died in crashes on Ohio roses holiday season. Seventeen of those deaths were over the Christmas reporting period, which lasted five days. The other nine were over the New Year's reporting period that was five days long as well. Of all those killed over Christmas and New Year's at least five people were not wearing a seatbelt. The Vice President jdvs as he's thankful to the Cincinnati Police Department and Secret Service for the quick response overnight. Twenty six year old High Park man William de four is charged with using a hammer breaking windows at the VP's home in East Walnut Hills. Vance and family were not there at the time. They had already made it back to DC to four as previously pleaded kilty to breaking a window at a Hyde Park business and had been ordered to undergo mental health treatment. The man accused of running his vehicle into Hamilton County Sheriff Sheputy Larry Henderson, who is on a traffic detail, will not be put to death by the state. Hamilton County Prosecutor is not going to pursue capital punishment for Rodney Hinton Junior because of his mental illness. Hinton killed Deputy Henderson after he was shown a bodycam video of the shooting death of Hint and Sun by Cincinnati Police. Governor Dwine holding a news conference at Sandernoon, who addressed recent questions about the state of Ohio's publicly funded childcare system. It comes after accusations about fraud and Minnesota and the high population of Somalian immigrants there and in Columbus. The governor put out a statement on New Year's Eve outlining all the different ways the state monitors for fraud. After that statement, twenty six new tips were submitted that the Governor says are being investigatd.
Speaker 13: During twenty four tips we'd received from the public in twenty twenty five. Now, of those tips, sixty one have resulted in daycare centers being required to payback overpayments to the date. They've also resulted in the Department of Children and You've closing twelve separate facilities.
Speaker 11: Governor Dwine says the Department of Children and Youth last year conducted ten thousand unannounced visits to childcare centers stay wide seven one hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 14: Here's the Bengals update, brought to you my Good Spirits wine in Tobacco and Party Town, thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. The Bengals are bringing back head coach Zach Taylor and Director of player Personnel Duke Tobin. Owner Mike Brown said in a statement today Bengals missing the playoffs for a third straight year, finishing at six and eleven. More to night on Bengals line six oh five Right here on seven hundred WLW. College Basketball Arizona number one in the AP poll. This week Michigan second produced fifth fifteen in O, Miami RedHawks.
Speaker 3: Thirtieth, Bill Edison seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 11: At the closing bell on Wall Street. The Dow up six hundred and eight points, S and P five hunder and up forty three NASDAK up one hundre ninety one. Next news coming up at four thirty matt Reeve News Radio seven hundred, double L, double D.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming. Get ready to get.
Speaker 15: Lucky at Miami Vallot Gaming with over twenty two hundred gaming machines.
Speaker 4: We got you covered.
Speaker 3: Must be twenty one.
Speaker 16: Ohioblem back with Eddie and Rocky and Rocky you know, having not been here for what two and a half weeks, There's been a lot of water into the bridge there hosts.
Speaker 1: A lot has happened, and we even got into the things going on in Minnesota. But yeah, it was two three days ago, and I mean an incredible operation. America goes in under the cover of darkness, all right, soldiers go in, kill thirty of Maduro's bodyguards, take him into custody, take his wife into custody, no one is harmed on the American side, no equipment left behind, bringing back the United States, and he has been charged with I believe it's narco terrorism charges.
Speaker 3: The Trump administration puts.
Speaker 1: A lot of the blame of the drug related deaths that happened into the tune of millions in our country squarely on his shoulders. But now that the legal side takes over about you know, what's going to happen, you know, legally, what's the what's things?
Speaker 3: How they move forward?
Speaker 4: Here John Maduro and his wife and custody in New York City, obviously, and here to discuss the legal ramifications and all the possibilities. Is our legal expert always love talking to our good friend, Jeremy Rosenthal. Jeremy, Happy New Year, Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year. How are you guys, great, We're good, We're good.
Speaker 4: All right, Jeremy, break this down for us. I'm is it an open and shutcase? Is it going to be a long involved case? What are we seeing here?
Speaker 2: Yes to both? Really? Yeah.
Speaker 17: Look so on the legal side of this, you're you're basically treating this like it's El chapo. Okay uh, And and that that's pretty complicated. Your your allegation here is that functionally the sovereign state of Venezuela is a big drug cartel. That that's essentially what the allegation is, and that Maduro was in league with the cartels, that he was actively engaging in this drug trade and distribution, that he was taking money from it, and that he was using that, you know, to to buy weaponry and and all that other stuff, and and and those are those take more than a couple of days in court to sort of prove. And not only that, you've got to compile all of this evidence, you've got to give it to the defense. It's not an open and shut or it's not going to be quick from that regard. The sentence here potentially is he's looking at a minimum mandatory minimum of twenty years or in as high as a life sentence. And if you're Maduro and or his lawyers, you're just not going to agree to that, right. Uh, you know you're gonna say, Okay, well we're gonna we're gonna fight you on it. So yeah, if you're looking at going toe to toe the distance of this thing, it's gonna take a minute.
Speaker 1: So it does seem similar to you KNOWL chop Bone even even Noriega, I I would think, and it's it's and it's yes, it's not. So it's yeah, the drugs coming in that you know, the America believes are are killing our people. But also, as you mentioned, it's the sale of drugs to purchase weapons to do terrorist type things. I feel like that's kind of the more the bigger charging this. So I'll ask you whether it is uh Noriega back in the nineties or El Chapo. Is there is it similar to is there precedent with how those cases went that you think could go make this case go the same way?
Speaker 2: Right? And and so a couple of things.
Speaker 17: For a lot of I think everybody the bigger questions about sort of how this came about. And you know, we obviously went, We obviously paid this man a visit at his house and made a house call, which was not in the United States, so you know, there's.
Speaker 2: Some issues there.
Speaker 17: So legally speaking, our Congress passed the law that said we can go get you, okay, if you're in another country, it is not against American law to go into another sovereign country and to get you.
Speaker 2: Now there maybe there's an international law issues.
Speaker 17: Maybe there's not un licensed in Texas, not Caracas, Venezuela. So I couldn't tell you whether or not it violates international law. I think there's a lot of arguments that it does. You know, we wouldn't really love it if Kim Jong un went and kidnapped or arrested the president of South Korea. We'd probably have a problem with that. And they say, well, but it's legal here in North Korea. Okay, fine, I mean in America, the doctrine is called the Kerr Frisbee doctrine. This will be on your final Okay, the.
Speaker 2: Kerr Frisbee one R.
Speaker 17: And those are cases that go all the way back to the eighteen hundreds, and those cases say, if you're in an American court, we've got jurisdiction. It doesn't matter how you got here. So the Latin translation is literally bad capture.
Speaker 2: Good legal action.
Speaker 17: So in other words, the court's not gonna get he came into court today and said I got kidnapped.
Speaker 2: Nobody gives a you know what about that? In federal district court, none of that matters.
Speaker 4: Well, what about the wife? Just kind of the spur off of that, I don't know what. What would you charge her with. I have no clue on that, just accessory after the fact or what.
Speaker 2: We hadn't seen any evidence of it, and you.
Speaker 17: Would think that they have some These are these indictments stem back from twenty twenty, the first time Trump was in office. I believe they added additional counts to them just last week and added her as a co conspirator last week.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 17: I'm assuming we'll learn a lot of times it's not uncommon for spouses to sort of, you know, be involved in one another's shenanigans like this. So if she's got some complicit complicity here, well we'll see it may be much less you would think it probably would be.
Speaker 2: But but again we're guessing.
Speaker 1: So, Jeremy, if you were defending him, what would your case be that, Look, you can't just come into it. You're going to think we're I'm a bad guy all you want, but you can't just come into our sovereign country and and take me out and put me up in your court system. Is that going to be the main line of the defense here.
Speaker 17: You can try that, I don't know, I don't know how successful you'll be with it. The first thing I would do if I'm defending this guy is I would have about seventy eight pages in my contract dedicated to I'm not being paid with drug money and the government can't seize it. So that's a thing in criminal defense.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 17: You know, if somebody shows up to your office with a bunch of briefcases.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a lawyer, and.
Speaker 17: You know you think, yes, right, you gotta hope the booger sugar is not just dripping off the stuff, you know, so you gotta, you know, you gotta, you gotta think about it because because the government can seize it, you know, it's drug money, and that that that that that really sucks for you. I mean, they're not going to throw the lawyer in jail, probably, but but it's still kind of sucks to.
Speaker 2: Have, you know, a couple of million taken out of.
Speaker 17: Your bank account. That that's a hard conversation with the wife.
Speaker 3: So right, yeah, so so.
Speaker 2: That that that's challenge there. But okay, so so.
Speaker 17: So putting my lawyer hat on here and just kind of thinking through some of the problems if I'm defending this case and my client lived in Cincinnati, kind of like where Brendan Soursby is going to let's say that, let's say that you know, my client lives in Cincinnati, and and in that instance, I'm looking at search and seizure issues.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 17: The government's got to get a warrant to listen to my conversations.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 17: So, but we're allowed to wire tap a foreign sovereign, aren't we.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's kind of part of it.
Speaker 17: So the Fourth Amendment I don't think is going to protect Maduro. He was not on US soil, and he has no expectation of privacy. He's not a US citizen abroad or or anywhere controlled by America. So we're learning things because we're wire tapping and spying on him.
Speaker 2: That's going to be fair game. And and that makes a that's a.
Speaker 17: Huge, huge challenge in cases like this. In federal drug conspiracies, it is not uncommon for the DEA or the FBI to basically have four thousand recordings on audio and they come and tell the lawyer, look.
Speaker 2: Man, here's the here's what.
Speaker 17: We'll give you the top two hundred or three hundred, because if you really want them all, we'll let you have them all, or you can come up here and listen to them all, you know, but we're there. These are just the first top seventy that we're going to play in court.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 17: I was hearing Casey kasem on iHeart. I was hearing that commercial about the top forty.
Speaker 2: The lower the number, the bigger the hit, you know.
Speaker 17: So so right, you know, so most of the time, this evidence is going to be really overwhelming, and you're always looking.
Speaker 2: To attack how did they attain it?
Speaker 17: And you're always looking for Fourth Amendment issues or other search and seizure issues or other computer forensic issues. And if I'm his lawyer, man, I just don't I don't see a lot of.
Speaker 4: That in your opinion? Is there going to be is he Is there any basis for him to try to strike a deal to get out of this whole thing? I don't see it.
Speaker 17: Well, okay, So the Harnduran president got pardoned last month from a for ex president got pardoned last month from a forty year sentence, forty five year sentence.
Speaker 2: You know, Maduro.
Speaker 17: If I'm Maduro, I'm calling Trump and saying, guess what I get it now? And how about I go back to Venezuela and we open up a big gas airport for you, and and we'll detain what you can send your people. You can, we'll put a military base here for you. Will you know have about some oil?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That was the one boom?
Speaker 17: You know, I know a place, I know, I know, I know, I know a way for you guys to do that. And then and then look at his split he gets pardoned maybe if that's that's what I'm doing, if I'm him.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, So at what point does that happen?
Speaker 1: Because I know, I guess you appeared in court today and he of course pled not guilty and and all that.
Speaker 3: So what gives us a little timeline here?
Speaker 17: Well, you never know that the speed of business, you know. Uh, if I'm Trump, I let him sit in and twist if any and I'll tell you what say and people say, and and I'm a lawyer, not a politician, but you know in my I'll tell you this, if if anybody can do a one eighty on this, uh and say okay, we got this guy's attention, and now we're going to put him to work for us.
Speaker 2: I think that could be Trump, you know, I don't know. And and and maybe that takes a month. Maybe that never happens.
Speaker 17: Right, maybe maybe maybe we see that that what Maduro has done is ridiculously unforgivable, and and maybe we throw the book at him.
Speaker 2: But he certainly got a lot.
Speaker 17: I mean, look, he's he's you know, one day he's running a country and the next day he is, you know, in the Federal District of New York.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we we don't know what what's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 17: Politically, the longer he's here in New York in prison, the longer and the more the more the leadership behind him grows roots, right, even though they're they're condemning us, and they're they're saying this and that and chicken fat and how.
Speaker 2: Terrible we are.
Speaker 17: You know, maybe the maybe whoever the vice president is kind of digging the new gig right, and uh and then and then Maduro Maduro doesn't have any power when he comes back. So yeah, I would say time's pretty important.
Speaker 4: All right with that, Jeremy, we will let you go. Do you want to apologize now to the people of Cincinnati for stealing the U Red Raiders?
Speaker 17: Indeed, okay, yes, on behalf of Red Raider Nation, I apologize to Cincinnati. However, this is for the good of the Big twelve. If our quarterback didn't completely stink in the.
Speaker 2: Orange Bowl, we wouldn't eat your guy.
Speaker 17: I'm sorry, okay, but looks Texas.
Speaker 2: I want to bring that about that Nike.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we found out that Nike money spends better than oil money at the Orange Bowl.
Speaker 3: So it's the American way by players buye oil. Whatever we gotta do, Erica USA.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, have a great one.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see you, Joe Jammy the best. Thank you. Thanks buddy.
Speaker 1: Uh you got you got to tell him what he said to you when you asked him to come on the show.
Speaker 4: He said, well, I sent him a text and I said, uh, blah blah blah, just whatever you want to how you doing.
Speaker 3: I want to come on today?
Speaker 4: And he said, ordinarily I wouldn't, but I feel bad for you guys because my Red Raiders told UC's quarterback and I said, a million bucks.
Speaker 3: Five mil man. I heard that.
Speaker 1: Now, you don't know if that's the number, because I feel like a lot of these and aisle numbers just from talking with people, especially over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: It's the agents.
Speaker 1: Are the ones putting out the number and they're going to inflate that number because they want more business. So sometimes the actual number isn't what's reported, but who knows. I mean, he is by all accounts deemed the he was the top quarterback in the portal.
Speaker 3: So good friend.
Speaker 5: With that.
Speaker 4: We check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center U see Health's Weight Loss Center off Resurgical and medical. An expertise called five one three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three seventy one southbound approaching Writing is an accident taking up the left lane. Delays back to a Dana about a fifteen minutes slowdown. And we do have Writing in California with a crash and seventy five northbound is sluggish. Mitchell de Paddock planning about a five minute trip there. Also getting reports of Clifton Avenue at dick Smith accident here and we thank you for the tip call seventy one traffic is heavy northbound Ridge to ronaldrig and Cross County Highway to seventy five. Filling in eastbound seventy five to Love the Madeira about a ten minute trip. My Brickshremphany's Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 4: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for toned partly cloudy and forty four, Tomorrow cloudy and fifty seven. It's fifty four Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: Deve Lynce McCallister, your favorite Bengos player and anything else that's orange and black.
Speaker 2: Bengals Line.
Speaker 18: You're a three hour Hoode hookup tonight at six on seven hundred WLW, home of the best Vengos cover it.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by Straight Talk Wireless. Don't let data limits hold you back from being the gift master in the family group chat so witch to straddle anything. She'd dedicated her life to that.
Speaker 1: But even with that said, she had the last impact because of her beauty and talent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even I don't even remember her being a thing in the seventies. It seemed like that was, you know, early sixties, and all of a sudden she just switched to this whole animal thing and that was that. She didn't do anything anymore. But back to Billy Joel, you should watch that. There was a two part documentary. I think it was on HBO about Billy Joel. You know, you don't have to be a giant fan of his music, aren't because I'm not a giant Billy Joel fan. Obviously he's got some great songs. But man, what an interesting guy that he had a very interesting life.
Speaker 3: Really described.
Speaker 4: He kind and he was one of those guys that just kind of kept beating around and beaten around.
Speaker 3: And he the.
Speaker 4: Lady that he ended up marrying, they were the whole piano man, that is basically that's a true He wrote that about this this gig that he had at this bar, and that was true. It was you know, the guy knew he was lucky to have him laying there and all that stuff, and the waitresses practicing politics was his. Was the girl he ended up marrying, Oh wow. And she, you know, I guess she was always she'd get in arguments with customers and stuff, talking about politics and all that kind of crap and just every All the songs that he wrote are basically autobiographies. You know what I'm saying, Hey, look uh Lucy and the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles, great song. I don't think there was a guy on a you know, maybe if you were tripping, yeah, of course. But but but almost all the songs that Billy Joel wrote were about something that happened in his.
Speaker 3: Life, and those are always the best songs, right.
Speaker 1: And that's the case I always make when we talk about AI and how AI songs are coming out and that some that sound really good.
Speaker 3: I often ask do we appreciate.
Speaker 1: Them and want to listen to them the same way, knowing that there's no real human story, real human thing that that happened in emotion that comes out. But but nevertheless, no, that's that's it. Yeah, I'm the same way with Billy Joe. I don't you know, he's fine. I don't you know love him.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things, right, And like I said, I gained a whole new appreciation for him because you go, yeah, knowing that that song, most of it is not made up. Let's put it that way for like a better way to put it, you know what I'm saying. So it's like writing a bunch of little books about your life.
Speaker 1: I had a country music writer, he's, you know, a songwriter down Nashville. Tell me it's he's like he's like, you know, he's like, thank god, there's hard times in life because use there would be no songs. He goes, that's where all the songs we write come from, right, or something that that happened, usually something bad, a breakup, you know, sometime in your life where you don't think you're nothing, you're never gonna make it. And it was always turn out to be the best ones.
Speaker 4: Well, when we did our Crazy Christmas Show with Willie, if you did hear it, you missed one. But one of the things Willy asked me and they're like, I want to die, ask you what's wrong with rock and roll music now?
Speaker 3: It's like, how much time have you said? I don't know what.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a pretty deep dive there. And but one of the things I thought of after the fact I wish I would have said, was, uh, well, because apparently life is too good now. We don't have enough heroin addicts who were beaten as a child kind of look at people like Kurt, Kurt Cobain and people like that. Guess what their lives, their young lives were screwed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, like I said earlier, exactly, the best songs come from a lot of pain, and the best stories come from tragedy. So that's interesting. Yeah, I do guta say. Piano Man is one of those songs. I think I've heard so many times that I can't listen to it anymore. And I hate when people get that excited when it comes on, because my god, I've heard a song a million times in my life.
Speaker 4: I was probably a sophomore. You all right back with Eddie and Rocky coming up here after the top of the hour, after the news, we'll be talking to our good friend one more time.
Speaker 3: Dave lap him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wrap up the wrap up the year, and you know the whole thing with Miles Garrett and everybody make it a big deal out of that. I'll tell you the guy who I felt really good for, and yeah, obviously for the outcome not great for Bengals fans, but I felt good for the Browns kicker because that kid, yeah kid, that kid was completely responsible for losing the first game of the season with the Browns and the Bengals, and uh so I redemption for that kid. I mean, Miles Garrett, you kind of figure that was going to happen, but uh and did you hear what Michael Strahan said about it?
Speaker 3: Because he broke Straighthand's record, Uh yeah, straight hand and T J.
Speaker 4: Watt yes, and immediately said, well, you know how many games? How many games are in this season? See yeah, yeah, yeah, to which would say to him yeah, but regardless, at the at the end of the day, he did say, look good for him, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pat on the back.
Speaker 1: Well, someone should obviously remind straight hand that the only reason he got is what twenty second sack was because Brett Favre took a dive.
Speaker 4: That's what I was telling I was telling deb that. I was like, I don't remember who who took the dive, but it was a big deal because it was like obviously he was like it just fell down to the ground and stray and touched him or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, I mean it was I remember when that happened to being like okay, you know, you know, in a way, it was like kind of cool that Brett Farre thought enough about him that he would do that, do that to it, you know what I mean. But but also like here's people that fight Scratch and Clauda, you know, the Kevin Greens and you know, of the world, and he gets a freebie.
Speaker 4: But whatever, well, and also let's while we're bringing up the football you were you were doing a game last night, so you didn't get to watch Did you see any of the raven Steelers game or did you lea see the replay of it or something.
Speaker 1: I saw the highlights when we got back to the hotel. By the way, the game, I had unbelievable game. So I had the Stag Bowl, which is the Division III national title. And uh, first of all, it's cool Division three And I said this on the broadcast last night, maybe the last true you know, like I mean, just the purest form of football left. I mean, there's nil in high school anymore. Right, there's forty six of the fifty states allow nil. There's something that's starting to go on and creep into high school football. But Division three, no one's getting paid, right, the players aren't. So anyway, it was North Central had been the sixth straight Stag Bulls versus Wisconsin River Falls, who hadn't been in the playoffs since nineteen ninety six, right, so twenty nine years and River Falls went in and beat them. Man, it was an incredible game anyway, that was in a side. But after the game, I saw the highlights of the Ravens Steelers game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I bring up the Browns kicker. How about how about the Ravens kicker?
Speaker 2: That guy?
Speaker 1: Just I know, I felt my wife, god lover, she is one who I mean, if there's ever like a like a therapy animal for kickers, I think she would sign up for it because, like she just thinks that's just the cruelest, most awful, unfair thing in the world that the game comes down to the kicker, you know. And I'm like, they don't do anything all day, would kick, They should be able.
Speaker 3: To kick the ball. She don't see it that way. Well, very tender heart.
Speaker 4: She's actually kicking on that field and in that notorious in the Steelers. The field there is that notorious for being just absolutely absolutely cruddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played on It's yeah, it's kind of rough side for sure.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's yeah, tough one.
Speaker 1: But I know, uh, you know, Bengals fans were probably more sorry than anything that Bengals amas want to see the Ravens go before the Steelers, right, I.
Speaker 3: Would think so.
Speaker 4: Well, I see if I tell my wife, and my wife always tells me to shut up when I say a game like this, I'm just I'll love it for a lot of injuries.
Speaker 3: She's like, you're all bad.
Speaker 11: With that.
Speaker 4: We got Dave lab him coming up after the news Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati, a decision on Zach Taylor. This is the five o'clock report. I'm Matt Reeves breaking now. Bengals owner Mike Brown announcing today he supports coach Zach Taylor and the teams director of player personnel Duke Tobin. Mike Brown announcing Taylor, Tobin, we'll be back in twenty twenty six, saying he's confident they are the right leaders to guide the team forward as this Coach Taylor during his news conferences past hour.
Speaker 3: The owner come out and say search positive.
Speaker 19: I'm appreciative of that, you know, And again, I think when you're you're aligned and you get together like we get together and won the same page. I don't need those things said about me, but but it's certainly helpful as we move forward and provides clarity, and so again, appreciative that you need that.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't need that.
Speaker 6: I felt.
Speaker 2: I've had plenty with conversations.
Speaker 11: And reaction to Mike Brown's decision, saying.
Speaker 20: That he had confidence in Zach Taylor and Duke Tobin, which I think are probably two of the things that are holding the team back in general. It's just it's just not a good look moving forward.
Speaker 11: Sean Brand says Zach Taylor should have been fired after Sunday's loss with the Browns. He reacted to Mike Brown's statement today and.
Speaker 20: The end the season like that, after you know, playing well the couple previous weeks. It just it wasn't a good look to end the season. Doesn't really give me confidence for next season.
Speaker 11: Brand Patrick Sports Bar and Grill on Crook Shank Road on the West Side, says the fate of the team will once again be thrown on Joe Burrows's shoulders, and that's how Bengals fans will live and die. Tim Wilson also at Patrick's behind my Brown, I'm.
Speaker 21: Glad to see that Zach will be bad and hopefully you can get it done and we will be in the playoffs next year. But as far as what Mike Brown just released, I like everything you just said.
Speaker 3: A lot of people might disagree.
Speaker 11: You can see Mike Brown's full statement on seven hundred wlw's X account and now your drive home the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 8: From the uc Hell Traffic Center. You see Hell's Weight Lass Center offers a surgical and medical obesity care and expertise called five one three, nine three nine, twenty two sixty three, ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. Well, we do have seventy five northbound after Sunday with the accident of the clearing stages and watch for slowdowns back to right around to seventy five. Now on the Writing at California, that crash is cleared. Northbound seventy five Norway Ladle the Paddock is about a five minute trip.
Speaker 2: Seventy one filling in.
Speaker 8: This is a northbound bridge to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway. Seventy five is sowing southbound from Hopple to the Brent Spence with heavier pockets of traffic and Norwood lateral between Writing and seventy five is sluggish as well. Two seventy five traffic westbound Princeton Pike to Winton takes an extra five minutes, saying they're just getting more than now of a problem on seventy five southbound after Paddock accident here that has police on the scene. Rick SCHREMPERDUS Radio seven hundred wd WELW.
Speaker 10: Now the latest forecast from the Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Weather Center Jake Sweeney Chevrolet.
Speaker 3: Better for less.
Speaker 15: Tonight, clouding up and a seven AM temperature of forty one in the morning. Now for Tuesday, mostly cloudy and mile a high of fifty six at night. Stays cloudy and we dropped to forty from your severe weather station. I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Temperature of springlight fifty three degrees and Cincinnati. And update on the case of all those dead vultures. Is found in the fields near Saint Bernadette's School in Pierce Township, Claremont County Public Health confirms bird flu was found in two of the dead vultures, but that there is little risk to the public. New information out on the vandalism at the Vice President's house at East Walnut Hills. Twenty six year old man from the East side of the city and Troubles suspected of breaking windows.
Speaker 22: The charges include vandalism, criminal damaging and obstructing official business. Hyde Park man is behind bars for busting windows out at the East Wallet Hills Home.
Speaker 3: Vice president JD.
Speaker 22: Vance Vans had spent the holidays at the home before returning to Washington Sunday. He was not there when this happened. Suspects identified as twenty six year old William de four not the first time he's been accused of this kind of behavior. Pleaded guilty last year to busting out the front window of a Hyde Park business and was ordered then to undergo mental health treatment.
Speaker 3: I'm Brian, comes News Radio.
Speaker 11: So Wenever, w wel do Brody Hinton Junior is not going to face the death penalty if convicted of killing Hamilton County Sheriff's Deputy Larry Henderson, Hamilton County prosecutor, conceding Hinton's mental illness, which disqualifies him from Ohio's capital punishment. The president of Venezuela, Nicholas Maduro, and his wife arraigned in court in New York today facing drug trafficking charges after their capture in the middle of the night this past weekend.
Speaker 23: Canis Maduro pleaded not guilty to the four count indictment, but in doing so he said, I am innocent, I am not guilty. I am a decent man, I am still president of my country. So Maduro is also defiantly saying that he remains the elected president of Venezuela, and he said he will go free.
Speaker 11: BBC Stephen Portnoy closing bell. The Dow gained five hundred and ninety four points to day to forty eight thou nine seventy seven s and P five hundred and forty three nastac up one sixty seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 14: Is the Bengals update, brought to you by Good Spirits, Wine of Tobacco and Party Town thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. The Bengals are bringing back head coach Zach Taylor and director of player personnel Duke Tobin. Owner Mike Brown said in a statement today Bengals missing the playoffs for a third straight year, finishing at six and eleven more than Night on Bengals Line six oh five Right here on seven hundred WLW. College basketball Arizona number one in the AP poll this week. Michigan second, Purdue is fifth fifteen and O Miami RedHawks thirtieth.
Speaker 3: Bill Edison seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Sports Next Update five thirty Matt Reeves News Radio seven hundred w W.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by Breaks for Less. Breaks for Less is what we do. We know, drums, roads, pads.
Speaker 4: All right back with Eddian Rockey and Rock. How about we do it one more time?
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do it for old time's sake. Here in this season. It was a rough season ed, but you got to finish it off the way. We started by talking to our next guest, and he saw every last second of it. He is our good friend, Dave Lapham lap How are we.
Speaker 2: Looking, gentlemen, How the heck you doing today?
Speaker 3: You tell us?
Speaker 2: Lap?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: What a bitter, sweet, weird end of the season yesterday?
Speaker 24: Yuh yeah, it was, Uh, it was a roller coaster. It kind of a represented It was kind of a good representation what the season was like.
Speaker 2: I mean, they.
Speaker 24: Had really good moments, they had terrible moments, and they had, you know, moments that were just okay, And that's kind of how the season went. And ultimately as a result of that, you go six and eleven. But you know, yesterday it was it was the three t's. It was turnovers. Of course, they had the bumble that was returned for a touchdown. They had an interception that was a turn for a touchdown. You know, they went minus one in the turnover department, So that, uh, that was that was tough.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 24: When you have two taken back for scores, you're not gonna win at any level, you know, high school, college, national Football League. You just you're just not gonna win third down, you know. They they had their good moments with some third down conversions and bat and ugly ones and kind of in between as well. And it's it's kind of it's a pattern of the game. I mean, Zach said that basically this is loose translation, loose interpretation what he said, but he said, you know, literally, we deserve what we got.
Speaker 2: I mean, we.
Speaker 24: Played inconsistent football and lost the football game. Well, you can kind of project that to the whole season. I mean, they played inconsistent football. They had stretches where they played well and stretches where they certainly didn't. I mean, yep, you know yesterday, Shoot, if they won they won three in a row and gone five four and two in the division. But they didn't, and they finished three and three in the division. They lose the last game of the season, and would have been good to win three in a row and gone in a high note, you know, a little little bit of something to look forward to, a foundation for twenty twenty seven and get the fan base excited about it.
Speaker 3: Well, Love, I gotta tell you a funny story.
Speaker 1: I was actually listening to your broadcast and in great job as always, because I was driving up to Canton during the game, and you know when in the interception the pick six happened, and then I had to you know, I had to take a phone call real quick. And when I come back, you guys were talking about the Browns defensive score and I was like, you know, kind of you know, revisiting that. I didn't realize there was it has happened a second time the fumble return. I was like, man, these guys are really really calling this story.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it was.
Speaker 1: Amazing, but no, it was it actually happened two times. That was that was funny. I laughed to myself.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it was amazing. I mean, two defensive scores in about a two minute time frame. Yeah, to be an NFL record. I mean I've never seen it before, never seen it at any level high school.
Speaker 3: I don't think you ever see it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 24: The only way I'd like to see it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, maybe that'll happen.
Speaker 1: Maybe so so Lap, what with this season being done, give us one thing you're hopeful for in this Bengals off season. Anything come to mind. I know it's early, but anything come to mind of what you know? Maybe you know priority number one needs to be for this team next year.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it's it's it's interesting. I think the priority number one has to be the development of the of the young base of players that they've got. You know, they do have some some young talent in the football team.
Speaker 2: This year's draft was pretty productive.
Speaker 24: They've they've they went out and they got some young free agents that they signed in free agency, and they have first and second year players that they drafted. But I think are going to be pretty good football players. So I think the onus is on the organization, the coaches, everybody to to develop these guys and let them help them reach their full potential.
Speaker 2: They're they're close. You know, there are some holes, you know.
Speaker 24: I think up the middle defensively is where holes might be in terms of numbers of players. You like to have a rotation of multiple defensive lineman. Then they do. I mean, they've got guys that can play, but they have the tenth pick of the draft. So with that tenth pick of the draft, if there's an edge player or a defensive tackle play available, that that's where I would focus.
Speaker 2: That's where I would I would look to go.
Speaker 24: You know, if if four edge guys are already gone and there's only one defensive tackle, the best defensive tackle and draft is gone, you get the second best one on the board.
Speaker 2: I jump on that.
Speaker 24: But you know, if in fact, you know, say a couple of edge guys and a couple of defensive tackles are gone, the third best edge rush guys are better than the third best defensive tackle, that's where you go obviously. But I would I would definitely look to beef up the defensive line. I think the offensive line is is.
Speaker 2: Is pretty solid.
Speaker 24: I think they're they're you know, they're not like a bunch of Pro bowlers, But I think they played pretty effectively together. I think that you know, they they play as a as as a unity. They have a good feel for each other what to expect from a guy right next to you when stunts and twists and blitzes and all that's going on. But if again, at the tenth pick if the defensive line for whatever reason, if say in the first ten picks, three defensive tackles, three defensive ends are off the board and the number one offensive tackle is still out there in the draft, shoot and he slides to number ten, you get to jump on that bad boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's the issue to me, lap is there's so many holes. It's not like there's one hole of field D line and there. I will say this and the Bengals have the tenth pick this and from my view, there's gonna be got a ton of like great players. I mean, I mean, I think last year, if you compared to other drafts of talent perspective, maybe a little bit light. But I think this year is going to be something else. They would do worse getting that defensive end from Miami. Ruben Bain that he is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I doubt it was the first person that came to my mind after watching him play.
Speaker 25: Man.
Speaker 1: I know they don't have the prototypical size Bengals like at the end, but the production is there.
Speaker 3: Man, geez, that guy is unblockable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, if you have a.
Speaker 24: Guy like that, you know, it makes it makes it an eager decision. And you know, the factor is that they've got a bunch of cat money too. They're in the top ten in cat money that they're going to be rolling over. And then the salary cap for the following year, twenty twenty seven is going to come out, and you know, now they're I mean, I should say for twenty twenty six is going to come out. Now the money they have left over from twenty twenty five and what they add to it in twenty twenty six, they're going to be able to go out and get themselves some pretty significant free agents as well, you know from other teams, veteran free agents, and they can beef up the defensive and offensive minest by going that avenue as well and gets yourself some good talent.
Speaker 4: Let me ask both of you guys. Back in the day, I think that there were and there was no secret that there were a lot of the big the big guy free agents were kind of, uh, I don't know, hesitant to come here. What it seems like to me that's all changed and uh, it would seem to be there's been people just they would die to play here.
Speaker 1: Is that that's not the worst thing?
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, I agree, you know, Joe Burrow is Uh, is is the man. Uh, he's the He's the guy. He's he's the kingpin. He's carrying that franchise on his shoulders. He's it's not the best quarterback in the NFL, and I think he is.
Speaker 2: He's in the top two or three. It doesn't take.
Speaker 24: Long, no doubt, call roll and uh, you know he's got all the talents that you want, arm, talent, size, Uh you know he can he can.
Speaker 2: Create an extend plays.
Speaker 24: He's got pretty good feet, good foot speed, good foot quickness. Uh like to have him have a healthy season, man, I'd like to I'd like to say, see what football guy say this year in twenty twenty six, Joe Burrow, you are not going to suffer any significant injury whatsoever, any injury whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Talking about talking about burrow foot speed though that that was kind of It was comical yesterday to see him look over his shoulder and see Miles Garrett about five feet behind him and going like yeah and putting his putting his he put his foot his pedal to the metal right then son, he did, and then he.
Speaker 2: Then he slid.
Speaker 24: You know, I better take it, I better take go to the ground to where it's safe and sound, you know, and not take a take the hit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Miles Garrett, how about him?
Speaker 24: The national story was, well, he get the sack, and he got it, you know, he did it, and uh you got gotta give him credit.
Speaker 2: I mean, dude, he's a lot.
Speaker 1: During during your broadcast, Dan Horden mentioned a guy for the Bengals who you played with that had would have been a sack record, but it was before the NFL kept sacked.
Speaker 3: Remind me of his name, right, Coy Bacon, Koy Bacon, and talk about him. What kind of player was he?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, unbelievable.
Speaker 24: He was a genetic Creek guy before there were genetic creaks. And the thing about Coy is it was it was all natural. I mean he he never I never saw the guy in the weight room and I was in there a lot times and he never lifted weights.
Speaker 2: Man, But he was just naturally strong as a knox man.
Speaker 24: He could plow a field without a horse, you know, that type of just natural body strength. And uh man, he just he was thick, broad wide strong, and he had quickness. I mean, you know, his first step quickness was amazing. He'd get on your edge, get on your shoulder, you know, really quick. He had excellent hands. Man, he would swim, you know, swim, move over the top of you. He'd ripped with the uppercut and uh and then if he wanted the bull rusher because he played about two seventy five to two. I mean he was a big boy and uh you know he heat stick his helmet right in the middle of your chest and knock you back.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was. He was a load coy bacon. He hit some.
Speaker 24: He had some great stories. He and Big Bob Brown. Remember we traded for Big Bob Brown at the end of his career for the Green Bay Packers. And those two guys, Man, nobody best with those two guys in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Man, they owned that bad boy.
Speaker 1: And I'm looking at his his measurable as here lobby. Yeah, to your point, he was six four, two seventy five in nineteen seventy six when there wasn't.
Speaker 3: As many men that big running around.
Speaker 1: On the field, right, that's you know, still a big boy from nineteen seventy six who didn't lift weights.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Yeah, he was like he was like, who is this guy? You know, He's like he's bigger, faster, you know, quicker, stronger than everybody. The Good Lord blessed him, boy, and he had a he had. He had a great career. There's there's no doubt about it. He played well for the Chargers and uh and the Cincinnati Bengals, and yeah, I mean he had hit it over a twenty sax season in you know, nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 1: I mean that what fourteen games then right lap twelve fourteen fourteen games by.
Speaker 3: The fourteen Yeah, fourteen fourteen games and uh only.
Speaker 24: Through it like twenty twenty five times a game. It wasn't these wide as offensive. You know, they're throwing forty forty five fifty times in a game. So you know, he had a twenty sax season with you know, less than half of the opportunities because they were throwing the ball as much.
Speaker 2: And he was something they they.
Speaker 24: Opposing teams double teamed him every single pass play, every single snap basically, and uh sometimes triple team him. I mean they'd have a guard and attack on him and then the back to chip him. And they wanted to make sure that Coy was not going to you know, wreck the game.
Speaker 1: And I'm looking at pictures online here lap, And he's one of those guys that, like, at you know, age twenty six, looked like he was forty eight years old.
Speaker 3: I mean just I mean.
Speaker 1: Receding hairline, big old handlebar mustache has looked like he was fifty years old.
Speaker 3: He's twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was. He was something else.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He enjoyed, Uh he enjoyed an adult beverage and uh oh that a little yeah, a little bit of uh bourbon and whiskey to go with that beer. That adult beverage. So wow, uh that may have that may have aged him a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 24: I was more older than he was gat player, I mean not good.
Speaker 4: He was great with with that lap. We will let you go. What's on the big show tonight?
Speaker 24: Yeah, We've got uh, we've got all the all the post games. Sound a little bit from everybody, but Chase Brown was really good with me. Went get into I heard yeah yeah, the season that he had, you know, running the football, catching the football out of the backfield. Joe Burrow I had a lot of trust and faith in him and respected him as a as a receiver. And the biggest thing was the Blitz pick up and he'd stick his nose in there in the chest of linebackers and safeties and and do a big time job. So also we got you know a lot of comments. Uh it was that tail. We've broken it down into a couple of segments.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: His his postgame press conference, Joe Burrow. There's a there's a good Lindry list. It's uh, it's it's worth to listen.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know, be on tonight from from six to night.
Speaker 4: All right, buddy, awesome lap Thanks so much, buddy, Always our pleasure having you on with us. We really appreciate buddy.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 24: Guys appreciate the opportunity to visit with a couple of not only football savants but good men.
Speaker 3: Oh five, you're the absolute best brother. Thank you so much. Thanks you doing the great work.
Speaker 2: Take care of guys.
Speaker 4: Our good friend Dave Lapham And uh, it's I always love hearing him tell the stories of all that some of those old guys he used to play with. Man, that's that's when men were men back then, like you said, and who didn't lift weights and beers and just could beat everybody up, just beat everyone's ass.
Speaker 1: When I played, there was you know, there was less and less people that didn't lift weights. But by that time, you know, two thousands people were lifting, but there was a cup nex steeping there.
Speaker 3: They never lifted a weight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he was and he was older at that point, and he was kind of from that era where I thought, I, you lift weights, made you bulky.
Speaker 3: And why like that's not fun? Why should I do that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: With that, we check in with traffic and weather. What is going on.
Speaker 3: From the u S Health Traffic Center.
Speaker 8: U SEE Health Weight Lass Center offers surgical and medical obesity CAAREN expertise. Call five went three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three seventy five southbound after Paddock accident has police there in an injury crash and went in between Dutch Culling and Oakfield. I've got to police in the ms there, so watch for the slowdowns in that area. Now seventy five southbound and Cooper. We picked up a crash. It's off on the left shoulder northbound seventy one Ridge Torontald Ring and Cross County Highway about a five minute trip. And on seventy five southbound from Hopple to the Brent spence Worth stop and go about a ten minute drive two seventy five eastbound eleven into Love La Madeira's a ten minute drive as well. I'm Rick sch Repdeis Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: The Forecat from a seven hundred WLW weather center for to night partly cloudy and forty four, Tomorrow cloudy and fifty seven. It's fifty four and now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: It's a Tuesday throwdown when the Bearcats battle the Mountaineers in Big twelve basketball action. Can you see whip West Virginia. Get the call live tomorrow at six thirty pm on seven hundred WLW or stream seven hundred WLW on the iHeartRadio ad.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by Red Pilled America. Why haven't you listened to it all?
Speaker 4: Right back with Eddie and Rocky and rock we were we talked earlier about the Maduro situation and the arrest and all that stuff, and well we haven't talked about the ramifications as far as travel went, because I will tell you this, my son was coming back from he was down in Tampa, and I guess the whole Florida air traffic control system was kind of in a shambles all weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that whole operation was going on and shut down a lot of flights yep, yeah, especially international stuff.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about that with our good friend Alex Stone from ABC.
Speaker 3: Alex, what about it? Are we have? Has it all recovered from there yet?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 25: Unfortunately, so the airline said they're doing pretty well, but there are people who are stuck. So Friday night into Saturday morning, is that the operation was going down and then for hours after it all the airspace around the Caribbean was shut down by the FAA, so flights couldn't head two or from numerous Caribbean destinations on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year as everybody was heading home from their holidays. And yeah, a lot of people going on Saturday to try to have a day at home on Sunday before they went back to work today and they couldn't get out. So on Saturday, over eleven hundred flights were canceled. There were one hundreds yesterday. That has meant that people who were on a Caribbean vacation are stuck now onable to get a flight out. There just aren't available seats because the planes are full going out, they got to wait until there is a flight with an open seat. Nathan and Aaron, they live in Denver, and they say this is really bad. They're stuck for quite a while and they got to pay for their own hotel rooms everything. They can't get out.
Speaker 26: Well, we're happy to take whatever's available. This is unfortunately what we found. You know, we're not asked for anything, just a place to sleep, right, like to stay safe until we can get back to the airport to fly home. I don't think it's an unreasonable ask.
Speaker 25: So they were there celebrating her fortieth birthday in Saint Martin and United told them they can't get on another flight until maybe Wednesday, maybe Friday. And because this was not the airlines doing, carriers aren't paying for hotels or food or anything, so everyone's on their own. And hotels are already totally full and super expensive this time of the year. So they're shelling out about four thousand extra dollars for a hotel waiting to get a flight out, and they're angry. They say United wanted them to sleep at the airport and said that the airline's not going to pay for hotel, just sleep at the airport.
Speaker 26: It plays to be stuck in, but I mean, we're just trying to get home, and to expect us to just sleep in the airport for five days seems kind of absurd, but you know, yeah, seems to be the case with airline companies later that I don't know.
Speaker 25: So they're not alone. This guy is in Saint Lucia with his new wife. They just got married. They're from Ohio, and they have spent an extra five thousand dollars on hotels now and Saturday night their hotel made room for them, but on Sunday they were told you got to go now and find something else. They're already full. And they say that people are now chartering boats to go to other islands and to try to get to places where there are more flights. They are now finding it. They got to get home and maybe it's cheaper than paying for the hotels. Kind of hard to understand this guy on his connection, But this guy's from Ohio.
Speaker 7: I've heard that Dominican Republic has more life going.
Speaker 6: To the US than what we have here.
Speaker 24: There's only a handful of flights that stamp of the.
Speaker 26: Show with it being that's a fall light.
Speaker 25: So the airlines say they are flying, but they are so full. American he is the one that is really ramping up through the dominant carrier in Latin America. They've been flying in bigger bowing triple sevens to get more lyft so that they can get more people out of their more seats and get them to where they're trying to go. But people on other airlines that are not as dominant in Latin America, of United and Delta and Frontier, they say that they're waiting until maybe as late as Friday or even Saturday of next week, being told, hey, you pay for your own hotel and pay for your own food, and just wait, we'll get you on a flight when there's an open seat.
Speaker 4: That would suck amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow.
Speaker 4: And Alex with a few earlier in December, my wife and I were in Aruba, and I'm thinking, man, if the deal goes down, because there were already rumblings about it, if the deal goes down, because literally Aruba is you could almost Seevenzuela.
Speaker 3: From there right off the right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I'm like, if the deal goes down, we're going to be here a while because so I can understand exactly why these people must be going through.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I mean it's crazy now that they're going to people with boats and being like, hey, what would you charge me to bring me to Puerto Rico or somewhere else? Because Puerto Rico has most lights. That's where American is lying in the triple sevens, and the people are now going that route. But it is a mess. Yeah, it's not like it would have been if Chicago or Denver were shut down and then the airline is all messed up for days. The airline was able just to start up the flights again, but all of those flights were already full. So you know, if you've got a seven thirty seven going, well, let's say one hundred and sixty passengers on it, but every one of those seats are full, what do you do unless you bring in bigger planes, You wait until some flight over the next couple of weeks has a seat on it to put you on.
Speaker 4: All right, with the with that, God bless those people, well, you know that must be. It might suck to be trapped in the Caribbean this time of year if you live in Ohio like the one guy was. But still, yeah, I'll go whatever, just sleep on the floor. You're fine, Alex. We appreciate it, man, you got it. Thanks gave our good friend Alex Stone.
Speaker 2: All right ed?
Speaker 3: And in other news, what do you got well rock?
Speaker 4: This This happened in India, of all places. This this happened last month. We're just catching up on a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 24: Now.
Speaker 3: I know you're you're not much on the heights, fair enough, the heights, we mean all the show.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, the oh I'm sorry, yeah, yeah, yeah, go off.
Speaker 4: I have the vertigo thing, but heights don't bother me. But you know, if I it's a motion thing with me kind of right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Got the vertigo thing.
Speaker 20: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm not like super scared and hate them, but I don't love them, you know. I mean, I'll get on a roller coaster, but I don't know. That's not my eyes set.
Speaker 4: See, here's one of those things that I don't get the point at all. But this happened, like I said, it happened in India. This Uh, it's a it's a dining experience they call it. And what happened here is basically, you know, you have a big crane or something. It's the best way I can think that this imagined that this is happening. Big crane and it's got a platform on it and you and they haul you up with a full dining you know, you got the fancy dining thing there, so it must be a giant platform and they have like you know, hot boxes to call your food up in and they serve you this fancy meal while you're like one hundred and fifty feet in the air. Why oh, because you have too much money and you think I'd be cool to do.
Speaker 3: That's what it comes down.
Speaker 1: If you have so much money, they need to entertain themselves in peculiar ways.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm not going to sign up for it, but tell me about it.
Speaker 4: So anyways, so they do. They haul them up in the air like that. Two adults, two children, and a staff member obviously the waiter. The dining experience involves the Ukraine lifting a platform one hundred and fifty feet in the air, allowing diners blah blah blah the view. However, the hydraulic system powering the lift field, leaving the writers with no way to get down.
Speaker 3: Wow, so you're up there. There's no elevator there's no escalator.
Speaker 1: You got to wait till this crane lowers you.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And so what they had to do was get firefighters there. But the giant well, you know, obviously the giant ladders put a harness on each person and lower them down. They didn't even climb down the they didn't climb down the ladder. They just tied them to ropes and lowered them down.
Speaker 3: Geez man, that's wild, dude. You said, one hundred and fifty feet in the air. That's not that. That's not low man, that's that's up there a little bit.
Speaker 4: What hey, you ain't going to somebody falling, not at all.
Speaker 3: No, no, real real quick.
Speaker 1: You said you you ate it that there's like a fancy restaurant on the Eiffel Tower, right coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, you got the bill and you're like, gold well.
Speaker 4: That was on that was on our honeymoon, and so it was like our first night in Paris and I'm like, I'm gonna take you to the Eiffel Tower baby.
Speaker 1: It's right baby, and I'm gonna take you the Eiffel Tower again later.
Speaker 4: So it's uh yeah yeah. And uh so for one thing, where were late getting there? It's a long story. But we go in there and the guy who was waiting you go in and he's like a guy from Beauty and the Beast the ju And I'm like, okay, here, let it go. And uh so we go in there, and obviously it ain't going to be cheap. I'm like, hey, it's our honeymoon. Let's go. And so we get the whatever da la la la la, and get some wine and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 4: At the end, instead of a dessert when they come around with the dessert cart, but they have a cognac cart. So here and this is like two o'clock in the afternoon, and here's what I'm like, We're hey, let's be Parisians. Yeah, we we see see And uh so that's how they do it. So I'm getting Kangnac and those old nine yards and the bill comes and I looked at an All I did was laugh, pretty much all you can do at that stage of the game. You know, you're kind of you know, your butt cheeked deep in this thing.
Speaker 3: So what are you going to do? I ain't no giving it back? Yeah, And we.
Speaker 4: So we left there and had quite a buzz going on, and and that was that durry are drunk in Paris at three o'clock in the afternoon, trying to figure out what you're going to do next?
Speaker 1: Can can you share with us what what the actual bill was or give us a ballpark as I reckon for you and debt right, that's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I want to say it was in the neighborhood. I don't remember the exact figure, but I want to say it was in the neighborhood. Three fifty to four hundred dollars and that's in what year, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: So that's a foreign Bucks for dinner is a pretty big bill in ninety seven.
Speaker 3: For two people, for two people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's lunch, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's the thing. Yeah, it wasn't even like a fancy dinner's lunch.
Speaker 4: No, that was lunch.
Speaker 3: No, that's funny. You know what, But you got a good story out of it all these years later. It was worth it.
Speaker 4: No, that was it was my honeymoon. I was so happy. Times have changed. With that, we check and don't make me that don't make me said h with With that, were checking in with the traffic, good weather, what's going on,