Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're Gay running back.
Speaker 3: To get him on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five sevendy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase, last.
Speaker 2: Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers come from behind score three runs to beat the Orioles six to five. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy. I still see those break lights in the parking lot, so come on. I'll keep your company all the way back home on Dodger Talk. After a very exciting win for the Dodgers that made it a lot closer than what it should have been. And by the way, coming up at eleven fifteen, we are going to have an extremely special guest on the show, the one and only Johnny b Dusty Baker is going to join us on Dodger Talk, so looking forward to that as well. Jose Moda is going to join us in ten minutes, and we have time for your phone calls at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Like I mentioned during the Clubhouse show, the Dodgers really made this more interesting than what it should have been. In the first five innings, they left eight men on base. This game should have been seven to nothing after the fourth inning. Trey Gibson should never have even touched the fifth inning, but the Dodgers let him off the hook several different times, none bigger than in the third inning. As the Veterans got on baby and loaded the bases for the rookies. The seven eight nine hitters Ryan Ward, Dalton Rushing and Alex Friedland and Trey Gibson proceeded to strike them out in order and the Dodgers did not score a single run. So that was frustrating. A frustrating night for Dalton Rushing up until the ninth inning, struck out three times and when he goes down two he swings at a pitch down in the dirt. You're thinking, I hope he doesn't let his emotions get the best of him here, because at times he has. But you know, as Taoscar Hernandez said to me earlier on this homestand about Andy Paez, and why Andy Paez has been able to take his game to this level to be the leading vote getter among outfielders in the National League is because of maturity and understanding what it takes to get through a major league season, understanding at bat too, at back hitch to pitch, the maturity and not letting your emotions get the best of you. And Dalton Rushing took a huge step in maturity tonight, regrouping, calling a time out, regrouping, being able to compose himself. And you know, he even said to us after the game, a ninety eight fastball was the last pitch he thought Ryan Helsley was going to throw him. He threw it and he was ready for it, ninety eight on the inner half, and he didn't miss it. And you gotta love his confidence because in the process of that answer, he said, I bet I won't see another fastball the rest of this series. So that's Dalton Rushing as well. But that's what has allowed him to get to the big leagues. He believes he is one of the best, and you got to have that belief. And nobody wanted that moment more than Dalton Rushing and he got it, and his teammates were, you know, obviously cheering him on from the dugout, and certainly everybody that knows Dalton. I know people on the outside and the internet and social media want to turn this guy into some sort of villain. He couldn't be further from that. He cares, He leaves everything out on the field. Yeah, does he sometimes let his emotions get the best of him. I think he did the first month of the season. I don't think he's done very much of that since. I think he has shown a lot of maturity and growth since the first few weeks of the regular season. So I feel like, again, the social media, the Internet, all that stuff sometimes tries to turn a narrative that isn't really true. It's not that's more perception than it is reality. So very happy for Dalton Rushing to have that chance. But like I said, this game should have been over before the fourth inning, and it wasn't. Also, you know, another big game for Mookie Betts. Don't look now, the Dodgers have the best record in ball and Mookie Betts is barely starting to get hot and he's hitting three point fifty seven in his last seven games. This could have been his best offensive game since he hit two home runs back on May twenty seventh. That's so almost a month ago. Tonight, three hits, a double, and he also hit a big home run in the ninth inning. It's not so much about just a home run. It was a big home run in the ninth inning to cut the lead to one run and really give that dugout some belief. When a guy like Mookie Betts is doing that, that gives the rest of the dugout a lot of confidence, especially after Freddie Freeman made the first out of that ninth inning. And oh, by the way, the Dodgers do all of this without sho Hao Tani, who was not at the ballpark today because the Dodgers announced he and his wife are expecting their second child and he may or may not be in the lineup tomorrow, but Dave Roberts said he'll be back, if not tomorrow then Sundays. So congratulations to show Otani and his wife. We all hope everything went well, but yeah, certainly a big win without o'tani and a big win that almost got away from the Dodgers. This would have been a frustrating loss for the Dodgers because they should have won this game going away early on, and the game was finding those guys. It was finding Ryan Ward, it was finding Dalton Rushing, it was finding Alex Freeland, and they couldn't. They couldn't deliver in the big moments with runners on base. But don't discount the run that Alex Freeland scored in this game in the second inning, Dino ebol and aggressive send on a base hit by Andy pie has and Freeland had a great slide head first and really had to maneuver himself to touch home plate. So that was a big play, especially when you look back and it's a one run victory. Plays like that early on decide games late. So did Andy pie haz Is throw to second base on the very first batter of the game, Taylor Ward trying to stretch a single into a double, Those type of things in a one run game. Loom large eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers beat the Orioles tonight six to five. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. Let's go out to Tia Rachel from Pico Rivera lead us off on Dodger Talk tonight. Hi, Tia Rachel, how are.
Speaker 4: You, David? So nice to talk to you. I've been listening to you for so many hours and so many days, and it's a wonderful to have.
Speaker 2: And you're not tired of me. You're not sick and tired of me, Tia Rachel.
Speaker 4: I'm tired of you, But I want to tell you. My girlfriend and I listen to you, and we listen and watch the games all the time. We get together, and I'm gonna tell you we love our guy today, Rushing. We are so proud of him. We watched him come on board, and today he did it for us. We are his fans. We are gonna watch him grow and he is our favorite player right now. And we are so happy that we were here watching the game and listening to you, and we we haven't given up. We never gave up on him, and today he proved us, proved to be one of the best guys ever. We're gonna be here the next time he does this.
Speaker 2: All right, don't move, you guys, gotta stay right where you are until Russian comes up tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: Do not move, got it?
Speaker 4: You got it? And Dave, we love watching listening to you after the game. We're looking at the game and we listen to you. Thank you, Picico Rivetta, I loved you, and we love dayton By. Yes, yes, I love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I love Pico Rivera too. Thank you, Tia Rachel. Thank you to the crew out there. We love the passion. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy and they're gonna see Dalton rushing in there again. Uh the rest of the weekend because Will Smith got a quarter zone injection and is not going to be available or activated this weekend. So uh, there's even some doubt that Will Smith will travel with the team when they leave for Minnesota after the game. Maybe he just joins the team when they arrive in San Diego for a three game series on Friday. Let's go out to Angelo from Lancaster. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Angelo?
Speaker 6: Hey, dB, how you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. I'm excited to talk to one of my favorite players. Dusty Baker later in the show, I'm excited to see Dalton Rushing get a well deserved moment that he was able to control. So I'm feeling great on this Friday.
Speaker 6: Yes, what a great grinding win tonight it was.
Speaker 2: And like I said before, you know, even when the Dodgers lose a game like tonight, I feel like, and this is not arrogant, this is not being a homer, but I feel like the other team just survives the Dodgers. And Ryan Helsley and the Orioles could not survive the Dodgers in the ninth inning. The game was a little too long for them tonight.
Speaker 7: We don't quit.
Speaker 6: We don't quit, and that's why they're.
Speaker 2: Back to back champions. They never quit in that game in Toronto after Bob Bashett hit that three run home run. You know, Max Munsey has explained this to me many times before. Miguel Rojas has explained this to me many times before. Freddie Freeman has explained this to me many times before. All Right, we're down, but we're not out. Pick yourself up and stay in the moment and go pitch to pitch at back to a bat. Even in a game in June, So thank you for the phone call. Angelo. The Dodgers certainly don't give up. And for all of you that think they're just coasting to October, tonight's a great example of how they are not coasting to October. You don't have baseball's best record with basically so many injuries on and off the first half of the year, and have forty nine wins in a nine and a half game lead in the NLST. It takes contributions from Alex call who was pinched running for Max Munsey. Monsey had a great at bat to get on base call, great base runner, was able to score the tying run. And then you have Ryan Ward, who's getting his first taste a big league action, had a very good at bat to keep the line moving for Dalton Rushing. Let's go out to Lars, who is at the ballpark. Lars, I'm going to trust that you stayed until Dalton Rushing delivered the win.
Speaker 6: I did, and I have proof on my phone of it. I got an incredible video and you'll hear the the second it came off the bat, I knew we were scoring at least one there, and then as as Teo was dumping the water on him. My phone died and I thought, oh no, I've lost the video. But I got back to my car and recharged and it's still on there. So thankfully that saves. I can show it to my five year old in the morning. He will be thrilled.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that. Lars. What did you think after the Dodgers were down? Did you feel like they should have been up like I did about seven runs after the fourth inning.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, I wanted to give Roki a shout out. He faced the minimum into the fifth. He had two outs in the fifth and it faced the minimum and then gave up a walk and then got out of that. So it's frustrated that he lost it. But on the offensive side, yeah, I feel like we get lulled to sleep. Sometimes we had runs to the first two innings, load the bases with no outs and have three consecutive strikeouts swinging and that's just the case. We have to make contact, hit a fly ball, score at least one and usually get a crooked number that inning. And also you talked about Dalton Russian. Couldn't agree with you more. What a class act we've been to spring training the last four years. But the last two we had a real nice chance to talk to him. He signed a baseball for my son. The last two years really wonderful with the fans and the kids especially.
Speaker 1: He's a mooky.
Speaker 2: He's got a big heart. He's got a big heart. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. Sometimes it gets the better of him. But he's a great guy. And you know, not everybody's going to be cookie cutter, you know, just very stoic. Some guys are going to be emotional. I don't know if he can live that way the whole year, but we'll find out together. But yeah, and Mookie Betts, do not count this guy out. That would be a mistake.
Speaker 6: And how great was his whole family. There was great to see his son thrown out the first pitch and the whole family dancing before the game, and for him to come up big like that three for five and that monster home run just when we needed it. Really proud of him and the whole Dodgers for saying it out. Let's make sure the fans state of the end two and keep seeing these wins. It was just incredible and shot up right, Laars.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you were able to hang out and stay the rest of the night and show that video to your five year old tomorrow. Thanks a lot for calling in. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Orioles tonight, scoring three runs in the ninth inning, six to five the final score. And you could celebrate this win tomorrow in Downy because I'm going to be with manager Dave Roberts from eleven thirty to twelve thirty at Downy Hunday, seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard in Downy. Dave is going to do meet and greet, kiss babies, take photos, shake your hand, hang out from eleven thirty to twelve thirty. Come on out celebrate the three time World Series winning manager Dave Roberts tomorrow from eleven thirty to twelve thirty out there at Downy Hunday. We're gonna have prizes, We're gonna have tickets, We're gonna do a Q and a so a lot going on. The party is in Downy tomorrow at Downey Hyundai. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, I don't know if you feel the same way that me and a few other fans do, but the Dodgers should have been blowing the Orioles out by the fifth inning. Did you feel that way.
Speaker 5: Too, Well, there's no doubt, David, when you look at the numbers that mister Gibson brought and the amount of wants, the low amount of strike as you go, well, this game should be quite open by a midgame. But it tells you about baseball and the joss he made. Yes, bases loaded, the young players come up, he says, you know what, no more Fastibal. So I'm seeing reactions out the break the ball, and he went out there and got the job done. But yes, I definitely feel like it would have been a more open game. But you know, baseball has a way of showing you, Dave, it's not easy. Nothing is subscripted. You gotta fight for everything. Those guys work hard every single day because they're different. Results come in different ways and wins. But I'm so glad things happened the way they did.
Speaker 2: In the sixth inning. With all that being said, Osaiah, I felt like when you let a team like the Orioles hang around when you could have put them away. It gets dangerous. A runner gets on a hit, you know, a bleeder like we saw in the sixth inning, all of a sudden, bang a two run home run and then bang a game tying home run by a guy that hits a lot of them. And Pete Alonzo, I didn't I wouldn't say I put it all on Rokie, but I just felt like the Dodgers left the door open for something like that to happen.
Speaker 5: You're right, and I think I'm going to put it more on Rokie. I think for the next step for him, it's gonna have to be that when the lineup turns around, you got to be able to get away sometimes just from a plan of pitching and just pitch reactively to what you're seeing from them. He missed a couple of spots. He missus Ladder and On Henderson, missus faustball. And I'm Pete a lonzo who's legs over seven hundred beauticle field down your stadium. But I think there's more to Rookie to be able to have him respect this fastibal a little bit more. Dave, I've not seen that all the time. He has to be able to push guys up to play occasionally because he wants any needs to implement more of the secondary and his third pitch in the fourth pitch as a game progressive because now they've seen you a couple of times, but as part of the growing process. I don't want to jump the gun here, but certainly there's way more in that tank to know that he could have done a better job thrown up another zero officially after two hours. You gotta have the killer instinct to put guys away and say you're not scoring anymore, and don't be looking at the bullpen either.
Speaker 2: Jose Mode is joining us after the Dodgers come from behind to beat the Orioles six to five. How about that ninth inning, Jose, we're bearing the lead here, Dalton rushing, Max Muncie, Ryan Ward, Mookie Betts. That was a pretty good rally the Dodgers put together against Helsley.
Speaker 5: Plan against Helsey. They know him from the Cardinals' days. He struggled binily after he got traded to the Mets, and Dave what I wanted to say he was and I kept saying there in the broadcast, what have they learned from what they did earlier? They're getting themselves out. Ask Dusty Baker about this, I mean getting himself out. How many times did I hear them from Dusty? Like, allow the guy to control the zone, but you control what you want to hit, so you gonna always find something to to hit, find a way to put the best swing together. Sometimes try a little bit less. And I am so glad that a mispitch, by the way, mislocation where Basadi was heading up outside, he missed it inside. But the quick bat by rushing just zoning in down on the zone, not getting beat upstairs like he did the at that before, allows them to go out there and get the best one in that baseball for them to win the ball game. It's good adjustments al throughout. Napoleon Warren Ward.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hey, speaking of Besiah, what did you think about the throw from right field? Cal already had tied the score, but it felt like Basia was trying to catch it on a short hob Did you feel like he gave up on it? Do you feel like he should have been able to stop that ball before it went into the camera.
Speaker 5: Well, you have to stop that ball somehow, And I don't know if Mandy you got lost in the scoring think that the game was over then, But you've got to be able to just do a better job in correcting that, because obviously guys are busting. They put in Tyler O'Neill a goal glover and right field for a reason. Not the best of throws when it comes down to just the distance of the hop. But you've got to be able to just throw your body in front of that to say nobody else is going to score here. But that's what good teams do against teams like the Orioles, all the pressure they feel that need to beat this team. Sometimes you overplay it, you overtry, and things like these do happen a little bit more. But for the young team though, mistakes and mistakes, the mental ones cost way more. The physical ones add update. But overall this all comes from who you're playing against, because the other team is allowing you and not allowing you at the same time. You got to earn every single lot against the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, thanks for checking in, Looking forward to seeing you back out here tomorrow, and one of your favorites, Dusty Baker, is going to join us on the other side.
Speaker 5: I can't wait here From Johnny b man, go get him.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Jse, We'll see you out here tomorrow. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. On the call for that exciting ninth inning as the Dodgers come from behind to beat the Orioles six to five, and when we continue on Dodger Talk, a man that knows a lot about walk off wins, come from behind victories and dramatic, dramatic moments. The one and only Dusty Baker is going to join us next on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers beat the Orioles six to five on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: Now two hit Hi drive the left of Dad back to the wall. This one is gone home run Monkey bets home run number eight and that touched the.
Speaker 1: Lead to one run.
Speaker 2: It's five to four. Don't go away. They may not be through yet.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday has seen some of those type of come from behind victories many times in his playing career and broadcasting career. And he was right. The Dodgers scored two more runs and beat the Orioles tonight six to five. The Dodgers will come back tomorrow with Yamamoto on the mound and certainly a very exciting win for the Dodgers thanks to Dalton Rushing's big hit in the ninth inning to score two as the Dodgers walk it off against the Orioles and Mookie Betts a big night for him as well, three hits, including that home run with one out in the ninth inning to get the rally going. Daniel's Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five seventy la sports dot com. He's the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. There's certain people in the world that don't know just the effect they have on others. Even if you meet them for a minute, they make you feel like you've known them for a lifetime. And that's certainly the case with our next guest, and he is I mean, I could go through his whole baseball resume here but I'm just gonna get it really quick. He's won of nineteen people to win a World Series as a player and a manager. He was part of the first quarteta teammates to hit thirty home runs. You know. That was with the Dodgers in nineteen seventy seven. He was on deck when Hank Aaron hit his seven hundred and fifteenth home run. He was standing out there in left field for eight years at Dodger stating with bubblegum at his feet because fans loved him so much they were throwing him bubblegum. And how about this In the day and age where it's acceptable to strike out two hundred times, this guy not only never struck out one hundred times in the season, he never struck out ninety times in a season. And oh, by the way, one two and eighty three games, managed over four thousand games, and was three time manager of the Year. And he was my favorite Dodger growing up. And that is the one and only Johnny b Dusty Baker, who's got a brand new book out. It's out there now you can buy to Barnes and Noble Amazon. It's titled Crossroads, a Memoir in Baseball and life and what a life Dusty Baker is sharing with us. Dusty, awesome to have you on the show and you mean so much to me, and it's it's such a great read to just read your life and what made you the person that you are. So thank you for coming on.
Speaker 7: Man, no problem, Man, I didn't. I didn't have any idea, you know, some of the effects that I would have on people, because people have come up to me and they say, Man, that was that was good for you to say that, to say this and going down to go feed the homeless after reading what you said, or I'm going to donate some money over to the church or something. And I was like, Man, I didn't write it for that purpose. I wrote it, you know, to make let people know that I was human and that I had been through some of the same things that they, you know, had been through. And some of the younger people are going to go through what I've been through, and you know, maybe it might help them help them handle things.
Speaker 2: Dusty. I was wondering some of the personal things that you wrote about the death of your father, going back to Africa and seeing the castle where slaves were put in, and just the emotions that you shared. Was it difficult to rehash some of those old memories and feelings.
Speaker 7: That's a good question, you know, sometime it was. I mean it was easy when you're writing about the good times, but you know when you have to go back and then rekindle and bring back the you know, those emotions that you know you had suppressed over so many years. And yeah, I mean that was the toughest part of it, other than reading the same things over and over and over and make sure you got it right. But yeah, exactly, that was the hardest part, you know, of writing this was, like I said, you know, going back, because there were times I'd like wake up in the middle of the night and I'm like, man, did I you know, why did I say that? Or did I say that right? And I said, no reason, I said it because it was true. So, like I said, a lot of people going through, you know, a lot of things in this world and hopefully, you know, hopefully I can help them out.
Speaker 2: So I love that you wrote that you can't just ignore history because then history will repeat itself. Being a Cali kid and being drafted by the Braves and having to go into the Deep South and play for the Braves. How did it feel to rehash those memories and the adversity that you and some of your black teammates had to go through, including the great Hank Aaron.
Speaker 7: Well, you know something, it wasn't all bad, you know, I mean, you know, some of it wasn't very pleasant. Some of us actually horrible, but real you know, a person realizes and then they adapt to the environment and where you are at that point in time, and so you know, there's not a whole bunch I could have done about, you know, the places that I couldn't go in or whatever. So I just made the most of going to mostly the black places or places where I was accepted, and I made it fun and it helped that I had, uh, you know, a couple of players on the team that.
Speaker 8: Were older, well, everybody was older almost every team I was on. I was called a kid from the very very beginning. But to have Hank Aaron, Ralph Guard and especially you know Cido Gaston, who was a little bit older than Ralph and myself, you know, to help us do these things, you know.
Speaker 7: To tell us where to go or where not to go, or which part of town to go in white or black, because sometimes you know, you'd go to this part of town and they could tell you weren't from there, or you go over in the other part of town, they definitely that you're out from there. And so, you know, it helped a lot to not only have players on your team that helped you, but also guys on other teams, you know, because we'd go to like Saulisbury, North Carolina. We'd go to you know, people go to green Greenville, North uh, South Carolina, and the guys on the team would take us out and tell us where to go to and and we do the same, you know when they came to visit us in our town.
Speaker 2: That's the voice of Johnny b one of the coolest dudes you'll ever meet. He's got a great new book out about his incredible life in baseball and Beyond Crossroads is the title. It's available right now. And Dusty, how much did playing for the Dodgers open up some of the doors to some of the incredible heads of state, musicians, actors that you had became friends with?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, when I played with Atlanta, you know, that's when I really met you know, most of the heads of states, and you know, I'm I met most of the black leaders because Hank Aaron was you know, was going for the record, so a lot of people wanted Hank around or they were coming around in Atlanta. You know, there was Maynard Jackson, There's Andrew Andrew Young, there was Jimmy Carter, let me see Ted Abernathy and just many many more, you know, and a lot of entertainers in the South especially, you know, Gladys Knight and James Brown and all these people were coming around to see Hank, and I happened to be there. Then when I got to La then you saw a different side of entertainment. You know. You saw at that time, you saw Hollywood, you saw singers and dancers, and uh, you know, I had a good life. And you know one of the prime stories that I had is when I used to go to the barbershop, the same barbershops some of the guys like the Gap band, you know, like he used to go there and Miles Davis, you know, used to go to this barbershop and that was my dad's favorite. And I didn't really understand that music when I was young. With the older I got, I was like, man, you know, now I see why it's attracted his music to my dad, and so like at the time, you don't really think about that. You know, you don't think about if you're a star, because you know, when you're talking to these other stars and you realize that they're people just like you are, you know, like I came up with some good friends out of that, you know, like Ronnie Laws, Craig P. Cooper. I mean, these guys I'm still in contact, you know with now, and so you realize that they need genuine people, just like you need genuine people to surround you.
Speaker 2: I mean people now. I mean, these Dodgers are very popular in LA, but growing up in LA, my whole life, you guys were rock stars. But you're a great person to ask this because, like we mentioned, like you've wrote about, I mean, you've you've met a lot of great people, but kept your feet grounded. How How did you not allow LA to swallow you up? And you still remain focused that baseball was number one and if you didn't perform in baseball, nobody would would care about this other stuff.
Speaker 7: I Mean LA was tough, you know, because it's hard not to get swallowed up. I mean there was a time when I was becoming on that road to get swallowed up. And you know, the thing about it is you just have to maintain your your you know, beliefs and think about how you were raised and especially when you're raised in the church, and you know this is all temporary. Because the one thing about LA New York Chicago, I mean it's it's temporary, you know, for the time that you're there. I mean, you know there's people that still remember you to this or that, but there's always new stars coming out, like almost every day. And it was great for me to play in LA because I felt like I was born in my career in Atlanta, but I turned to man in my career in LA. And the fact that we won, and also the fact that I grew up a Dodger fan, you know, liking Tommy Davis. He was my hero. That's why I wear number twelve, and so, you know, because of Tommy Davis. And so you know, we all need heroes. And you hope that your hero is a Greek citizen and then leaves you in the right direction.
Speaker 2: Well, my hero is and that's Dusty Baker. Not they say you don't want to meet your heroes, but meeting Dusty Baker it's everything that it sounds like. And along those same lines, Dusty, I heard so many stories about how Tommy Lasorda would bring in you know, Captain Intnil Sinatra through your clubhouse, Don Rickles, what was that like.
Speaker 7: Well, hey, that's Tommy. I mean Tommy always had stars these two things. He always had stars around, and he always had food around. I mean, and once I became a manager, that's one of the ways that I tried to unite my team was to have food around. You know, you bring in different food from different cultures and after a while you're like that's pretty good or wow, man, I didn't know I was like that, So, I mean that was real cool. Uh. You know, having stars around, I mean guys would you know, come around like uh, I see them now on TV. You know they were little kids then, or Marcus Allen would come around and steal my hats out of my you know, out of my uh, out of my locker, and uh. I have a lot of pictures on my wall here, you know, like Tony Orlando and Don and I have like some letters that that Tommy got for me. I got a Frank Sinatra letter, I got Don Rickles letter, I got a Bob Hope letter, I got a Barack Obama letter. Uh, you know a number of these letters, and you know some of I met, you know, through Tommy and some of them because you know, the people in LA, they love their team and they love to come around the team, and we love to have them come around. And so it was a it was a very very very good, uh you know, the time of my life and and hopefully the other people enjoyed as much as we did.
Speaker 2: Now, just knowing some of the guys that you played with, is it fair to say that Davey Lopes and Reggie Smith were probably two of your best friends on the team when you played with the Dodgers or were there more?
Speaker 7: There was more? I mean, you know those guys. I was close to them, I mean big time. Davy David was my daughter's godfather. But you know we had Lee Lacy who I was hanging with, and Steve Garvey, you know who I was hanging with, and you know, just you know, now Downing was there. I mean they we had some we had some outstanding uh players, We had some young players, Rudy Law, Steve how Bobby Welch was probably one of my best best friends because I would try to pass on to them the things that Hank Aaron and Atlanta Cepida passed on to me when I was a young player. And so we always had some fine young players. You know, you got Canny Mallama, Jeffrey Leonard. I mean you look at Brock, you look at Marshall, you look at Steve Sachs on Fosia. I mean we were turn them out. I mean I still thought the Suckliffe and all these guys were young, young players, including Dave Stewart. You know, I'm just naming a few players. And we were close as a unit, and we took care of the young players, and we took care of each.
Speaker 2: Other, no doubt. That was a family for sure. Dusty Baker is our guest, and Dusty the Knicks just celebrated their championship with the parade first time in fifty three years. The Dodgers, after twenty four, had their first parade since eighty eight. What do you remember the most about the eighty one parade, because I'm sure they were much different than they are now.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean that was my first parade, and you know, you you remember all the guys on the team, you know, you think back and you think about Manny Mota and somebody guys at Pejo Guerrero young player Steve Jeger had a great great rose Ronseai. And so I'm just happy that my teammates picked me up because I didn't have a very good World Series, but you know, they picked me up. And I think about the Knicks when when I hurt my hand the day before the World Series and Tommy told me that I had to play because the team wasn't the same if I wasn't on the field. I said, Tommy, I can't even swing. But I think back when I think the back upon it, and you're talking about the Knicks, I think about Willis Reed when he couldn't even walk, but he went out there to play to support his team. I wasn't nearly the player Willis Reed was to his team. But similar situation that sometimes take one for the team and then sometime the team picks you up. And I feel like all my teammates picked me up and.
Speaker 2: They everybody loves Dusty Baker. You've picked up so many people in your life and it's okay if they picked you up once in a while. You just celebrated your seventy seventh birthday, Dusty, did you have a big part?
Speaker 7: No, not really. I actually had a book signing, yeah, kind of. We had a book signing party at Kevin Johnson kJ. You know, he used to play for the Phoenix Suns at his mother's bookstore and it's called Underground Books and and there must have been two or three hundred people there in this auditorium that he owns right downtown in the same neighborhood where he grew up in Oak Park, So it's really pretty cool. And afterwards we went to his restaurant, you know, we went to Dinner Fixings, which they have one down to Staples Center as well in La. You know. We had a great, great meal afterwards and went on home, went to bed.
Speaker 2: I know your life has taking you so many different places, Dusty, but I know I speak for LA and Dodger fans. This will forever be your home. I know other cities you brought success and championships to, but this is this is for all of us down here, Dusty Baker's home. Left Field is your home. Oh man. This is an incredible book and I think makes all of us understand how you became the person that you are and just how you've been able to touch so many lives and it's really special. So thank you for sharing your life with all of us.
Speaker 7: You know, when I think Becka, I started laughing because Rick Munday he gave me the name doctor Skull and he still calls me Skall to this day.
Speaker 2: Why did he give me that nickname?
Speaker 7: Well, I used to tell everybody I was going to scall the ball. I was gonna scall somebody. I guess I was saying it so much. Rick. I didn't even know how much I was saying it, but maybe I said so much. And that's why Rick Mundy call me doctor.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure he's listening to this. And I know Rick Monday loves you, and you, Reggie Smith and Rick Munday helped get that Infield over the Top in nineteen seventy seven and all those years after, especially in eighty one. So you know what you mean to this city, Dusty, thank.
Speaker 7: You, and and I just want to, you know, just shout out. I forgot to mention Kenny Landro because Lando was one of them, and Darryl Thomas. We had some we had some characters. We had some guys that came to play, and like I said, you know, we were family. And you know, Tommy had a lot to do with as was our coaches, because uh, you know, we all cared about each other. And one time I was at a banquet and I had Bill Russell, you know, big Bill Russell, you know who I thought, was this mean, menacing guy? I asked him. I said, hey, man, you know what was the secret to the Celtics' success? Because you know I didn't like the Celtics. I was a Laker fan. Harry West and Yell Goodrich and Will Chamberlain all it. And so he told me that they loved each other. And I never forgot that. I mean, it shocked me when I think about on the good teams and I was on especially Dodger teams. You know, we loved each other. Sometimes we fought, but you know, you fight with your brother, but nobody else better touch your brother. And yeah, that's how we were as a family.
Speaker 2: Heard some of those stories. Dusty Rick Monday's told me this before. The feeling was we could fight amongst each other, but if you go after one of our guys, then you have a problem.
Speaker 7: That is exactly right. I couldn't said any better, Miselle. All right, man, I'll see you later, See you later, Adios.
Speaker 2: There he was, Dusty Baker. He has a great memoir out. It's available, get it wherever you buy your books. Trust me, it's a great summer read about a great man that has led in extraordinary lives. So thank you to Dusty Baker for joining us tonight on Dodger Talk, and thank you for joining us on Dodger Talk as well. Tomorrow. Yamamoto will be on the mound. He's seven and four with an ERA of two point fifty two. Remember Yamamoto last year, last September, came this close to pitching a no hitter against the Orioles. And we all know Yamamoto came this to pitching a no hitter in his last start against the White Sox. So we'll see whether or not we have some drama tomorrow night. Trevor Rodgers is on the mound for Baltimore. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. If you want to go back and listen to Dusty Baker again. You know where to find it, the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can find all of our Dodger conversations and all of our Dodger talk shows. And don't forget tomorrow from eleven thirty to twelve thirty, come on out to Downy Hunday and meet Dave Roberts. He is going to do a meet and greet, take photos, shake hands, kiss babies, do all that Dave Roberts stuff. Seventy five fifty Firestone Boulevard. I'll be out there as well with the managers. So look forward to seeing you out there at Downy Hunday once again. The final score tonight Rogers come from behind and beat the Orioles six to five. Have a great rest of your night. Be safe, We'll see tomorrow and Downy Moro SLA