Speaker 1: For the back to back World Champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach.
Speaker 3: Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 4: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they can they printing money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue.
Speaker 5: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 3: Now your pregame host of the world champion LA Dodgers, Tam Cats.
Speaker 7: Hi, everybody, and good afternoon. Welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on this Saturday, August fifteenth, twenty twenty six, as your back to back Roll Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers play host to the Milwaukee Brewers. It what is a great matchup with the miss on the mound for Milwaukee Jacobzeroski.
Speaker 5: Justin Robuski, the.
Speaker 7: All Star will go for the blue first pet from Uniclo Field. That Dodger Stadium is coming up at four fifteen. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Marago Casino Dodgers on Deck, You're gonna hear from Reggie Smith, who's being inducted into the legends of Dodgers Baseball rifles. So a World Series champ with the Dodgers back in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 5: We'll hear from.
Speaker 7: Reggie coming up in about forty five minutes. We'll check in with the Dodger manager, Dave Roberts coming up in about twenty minutes. No Kyle Tucker in the lineup in this afternoon's matchup. More on that coming up with DV. Throughout the hour, we'll preview this pitching matchup. We got your Dodgers magical moment. We'll hear from Edwin Diaz in just a little bit. We got your Otani rewind in just a few minutes. We'll head out to the Galloping four broadcast booth with Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday.
Speaker 5: Well, last night, the.
Speaker 7: Dodgers used the long ball, then a nail bier in the end. Yoshinobu Yamamoto got the start. He through twenty six pitches in the first inning, but did not give up a run. The Dodgers offense, meanwhile, gave him a lead to work with in the bottom of the inning, two straight hits that brought up Mooki.
Speaker 2: Pies on second, Tao on first guessers one to ohero Bets hits it on the ground, base hit left field, pa his round's third no throw home.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers take the lead.
Speaker 4: Three straight singles given the Brewers a taste of their.
Speaker 5: Own medicine from last night.
Speaker 8: Well, this was just what the doctor ordered. I'm not talking necessarily about the doctor Dave Roberts. Last night. The Dodgers are just two for seven with runners in scoring position. The Brewers had eleven sn shit bats.
Speaker 7: Good start for the Dodgers last night, RBI single for Mookie.
Speaker 5: They have a one to nothing lead.
Speaker 7: Yamamoto continue to put up zeros in the second and the third and the fourth innings, but did sell. With traffic on the bass pass and the pitch counts starting to rise. In the fifth, the Brewers finally got to Yamamoto a leadoff double in a bun single. Next batter, Joey Ortiza sack fly the center that tied the game at one. The Dodgers offense, though, answered right back in the bottom of the inning, two outs and he pie.
Speaker 2: His the two to two pitch to Paz pulled high in the air to deep left field, carrying.
Speaker 9: Back and carrying out.
Speaker 4: And de Pas puts one over the short wall in left field next to the Dodger pen in Los Angeles, reclaims the lead two to one.
Speaker 8: For Pajes, his third hit of the night, and this.
Speaker 5: One was the big one.
Speaker 7: Yeah Cello home run for Pajes, his twentieth home run of the season, Dodgers retaking the lead two to one. Yamamoto went back out in the sixth after leadoff single Hunter Forducia then throughout a runner at second. It would be a one, two, three six In the bottom of the inning, a huge insurance run from the bat of Tommy Edman Gasser.
Speaker 2: Former Padres draft pick. What the Josh had deal and then.
Speaker 1: Cracks one in the air to deep left field.
Speaker 4: This ball is gone, Tommy with a much needed tank. They doubled the Dodger lead, now three to one after Eppens fourth of the year.
Speaker 8: Boy, that is a sweet sound when he hit it.
Speaker 5: Solo home run for Tommy Tanks.
Speaker 7: That's the top tier play of the game, brought to by ARCO quality, top tier gats for less Dodgers. With a three to one leady, I'm a motive. With the six inning turned it over to the bullpen. Evan Phillips pitch to score this seventh ten Or Scott got the eighth.
Speaker 5: He put up a zero. Dodgers took a three to.
Speaker 7: One lead to the ninth inning when Dave Roberts went to Edwin Diaz hit by Pitt, strikeout, walk, grind out the second. Diaz then watched Hamilton to load the bases with two outs the tying run at second base. However, he got Joey Ortiz to grind out to short No. Keiky Hernandez had to make a great pick at first on the throw from Mookie Ball game over Edwin Diaz made it interesting. He made it close, but the Dodgers on for the win, three to one. Last night, Dodgers improved in seventy four and forty nine, one game back of the Brewers for the best record in the National League.
Speaker 5: Eight games up.
Speaker 7: As we speak on the padres in the nl wes this afternoon, another big one against Milwaukee. Justin Robleski on the mount against the miss Jacob Mizzerowski first pitch at four fifteen and with more let's head out to the gallop before broadcast both as we welcome in Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday guys.
Speaker 10: All right, tim as we get ready for Game three of this four game series. Dodgers three to one winners last night. This is game one hundred and twenty four, thirty nine games left in the regular season, and forty three days remain. After the Dodgers win last night, we were once again reminded Moe what a great pitcher Schnopo Yamamoto is. He went six innings last night, one run, four hits, two walks, nine strikeouts and on the season twelve and seven two sixty er and opponents hitting just one eighty six against him.
Speaker 11: He was masterful.
Speaker 8: And we continue to say, Charlie and the people are around to appreciate baseball understand this very well. He gives his team a chance to win a ballgame, and that's my shutting down the other ball club, keeping them close. Don't have that big inning against and he did not allow a run until a sacrifice fly in the top of the fifth ending, so he kept the ball club exactly right there.
Speaker 11: He's also a guy.
Speaker 8: That understands I think his mechanics as well as anybody in this ball club and figuring out, hey, if I don't have really that splitter going, what do I need to do. I'll try it again. I'll be able to dial it in. And he just overpowers a lot of hitters. I think surprise his hitters sometimes, even with his velocity of the fastball, he never appears exactly. He reminds me in some aspects. And I've said this before of Fernando, and I say that from an aspect just as you're talking about. He never seems to be surprised by what happens on the field. He understands his delivery, he understands what's happening, and then once the ball is hit to him or hit to someone else, he understands what he needs to do to help his ball club.
Speaker 10: Last night, Evan Philip terrific performance for an ending Tanner Scott gave up a hit and his ending of work, and then the ninth penning came and once again it was an issue for Edwin Diaz. At least he got out of it, but it was sure close.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: He did a high wire act. There's no if ends and buns about it. He hit the very first battery faced on a full account and then struck out the next guy on a terrific slider. It's been the slider. It has been hit a little difficulty. He had then difficulty finding home plating this one. A couple of pitches by a couple of feet walked, the batter got a great play at second base by Tommy Edmond. That was the play of the ball game. No if ends and bunts about it, and then a walk and then finally ground out on top of it. So yeah, it's a good stepping stone for Diaz and it's a confidence builder.
Speaker 1: For him and the ball club too for that matter.
Speaker 10: And today Reggie Smith is being honored as one of the Dodger legends, a friend of yours all.
Speaker 8: The way back to high school. All the way back to high school, we competed in football. He went to Centennial, I went to Santa Monica. Didn't know one there at the time. It was only later on when we put on the Dodger uniform really had a chance to get inside. This is a wonderful moment for us because we appreciate everything that Reggie Smith did for this Dodger ball club, what he did for Major League Baseball. In fact, if you still start to look at all time in switch hitters for home runs, he's eighth best ever in Major League.
Speaker 10: Baseball, and today it's time for the ski report Justin Robleski and of course the miss Jacob Miserassi terrific pitcher's duel coming up, and we'll deal it with the lineups and a lot more between now and then on the pregame.
Speaker 7: Tim all right, thank you, Charlie, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get that game day meal on Shakey's Pizza Parler.
Speaker 5: What are your Shaky's Pizza, chicken.
Speaker 7: And mojos right now and enjoy it during the game at Shakys dot Com. Coming up here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: You're gonna hear from Reggie Smith.
Speaker 7: He's going into the legends of Dodgers Baseball TV checks in throughout the hour. But up next we'll hear from Edwin d and your Otani rewind. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Brewers on this Saturday afternoon first pitch at four fifteen.
Speaker 5: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 7: I'm Tim Kates's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap.
Speaker 1: On your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 7: Dodgers and Brewers squaring off Game three of this four games set. Justin Robleski Jacob as Rosky. The pitching matchup, first pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewhy.
Speaker 7: Well quiet night at the plate for show, Hey Otani last night? Oh for three with a walk. But the good news is the Dodgers hang on for the three to one win over the Milwaukee Brewers. They did it behind six solid innings from Yoshinobu. Yamamoto turned it over to the bullpen zeros and the seventh zeros in the eighth, and then Edwin Diaz came back out a night after blowing the game against Milwaukee, came back loaded the bases but got a ground ball out with two out to get the save as the Dodgers hang on for the three to one win, and afterwards, when Diaz caught up with Kirsten Watson.
Speaker 12: Ed when tonight it wasn't easy, but you got through it. When you think about the trust that Dave Roberts were prior in the organization, hasn't you What does it mean to be sent back out after a tough night last night.
Speaker 13: It's missed a lot to me. You know, I've been in a tough tost wretch about I keep working hard, you know, trying to make pitches and today you know it wasn't easy, but I get the job done.
Speaker 9: So I'm really happy You've.
Speaker 12: Got the defense behind you. What did you like about the plays they made?
Speaker 13: You know they made great play? You know that playing second base? We told me was a great play. Who's played, you know for a second hour? So we did. We did great today, So I'm really happy for my teammate.
Speaker 9: It picked me up.
Speaker 1: Let's kick winning.
Speaker 12: What did it mean to have the support from the fans you had two hours You're navigating to that about you're behind in the count, but you heard how loud it got on here? What did it mean to continue to have their support?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 1: It feel good?
Speaker 13: You know when the fun of our bag is steel great. You know we are going to a trust moment right now, but this is not forever. So I keep working hard every day just to get better and help this into win.
Speaker 5: What series edwin.
Speaker 12: It's one pitch at a time, and it's day by day, but.
Speaker 5: Ultimately picked up the same today.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on this Monday.
Speaker 9: Thank you all right.
Speaker 7: There's Edwin Diaz after the game last night. Brought to by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of that old car. Donate today, your car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate now at Cars for Kids dot org. That's Cars with a K Still the gum here on Dodgers on Deck will previous this pitching matchup.
Speaker 5: We got your magical moment. What up next?
Speaker 7: We'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Brewers.
Speaker 7: Game three of this four game weekend sent Dodgers one game back of Milwaukee for the best record in baseball.
Speaker 5: First pitch coming up at four fifteen. I'm Tim Kates. Is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 13: Hi, It's Johel Toney. This is Dodgers on Deck AM five to seventy LA spots. You're home of the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Bron Goo Casino.
Speaker 7: Dodgers on Deck continues as we lead you up to first pitch on this Saturday afternoon. Dodgers and the mill Jaukee Brewers, Morogo Casino resort at SPA, A Grand Slam for good times, great pitching matchup, a couple of all stars. Justin Robleski Jacob Mizarowski first pitch at four fifteen.
Speaker 1: He's the LA Dodgers injury report.
Speaker 7: Tended by u CLA Healthy official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tyler Glass now in the IL he pitched in trip Lea and according to Dave Roberts, so we'll have one more rehab outing slated for about five innings, seventy five pitches, and the plan then is to have him rejoin the Dodgers' rotation on the road trip to Atlanta in Detroit at the end of the month. Will schmitzk batting practice yesterday, feeling good today, Blake trying it on the iel at the right elbow inflammation, Dalton Rushing trying to work his way back from that elbow injury. Let's find out more as we head back out to the ravine and checking out the Dodgers skipper.
Speaker 9: Anything else?
Speaker 11: Dave questions for Dave.
Speaker 9: Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 5: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 14: The dugouts with Dave Roberts, I think more for Kyle, I just you know, being at home right now, just he's kind of I see kind of him the frustration, and I felt that for him to kind of, you know, use today as a workday and then he'll be back in there tomorrow. He'll play all three in Denver. Gives me a chance to get Alex in there. And I like Alex in the sense that I think he can spoil some pitches and kind of work at bats versus Miss and so it's it's a combo when you guys.
Speaker 1: Have a guy like Miss RAUSI that or he's saying that, do you hear like that?
Speaker 11: He's the focus for you guys in the middle of the doctors so called Don Jay's audis.
Speaker 14: I think. So it's obviously a guy that we're you know, probably going to see in the postseason, and you know, he's one of the best in the game, if not the best right now, and uh, you know, players don't like to be embarrassed, you know, so I think that it's something that is a challenge and you know, you got to go out there and go compete, you know with him, pitch to pitch.
Speaker 4: Bud Tucker, like, do you feel like he's kind of sort of fixate on some reacefle Road splits, the sense where like he's pressing a little bit, especially here.
Speaker 14: You know, I don't know if he's I don't think he even realized it until recently, when I think people brought it to light. But the fact is the splits are stark home Road. I don't think we have a reason behind it. But yeah, but I wouldn't say fixate on it, but it certainly you know now it's he's conscious of it, though, Yeah you have.
Speaker 9: I don't. I really don't.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 14: Us I really didn't because I could button my way on.
Speaker 11: They had no time out of his bold tend session to day.
Speaker 1: Have you heard anything about that he's spader today.
Speaker 14: I haven't seen show Hey yet. You know, Yeah, he came out of it well yesterday thirty five pitches through his entire pitch mix. So you know the next step will be another bullpen, I assume, and then we'll get him. You know, some lives I Will Smith da cans a little back all that. Yeah, Will Smith was really good, came out of it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 14: I think he's going to do some more stuff today and probably you know giving it Sunday tomorrow will be down. We'll stay here while we go to Colorado. But the arrow arrow is pointing up for Will. I don't know when he's going to partake in a live situation, but that'll be kind of a good gauge, all right.
Speaker 5: That is certainly great news to hear on Will Smith. That is the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 7: When we continue here on Moroco Casino Dodgers on deck, we will get the latest from David Vassa. So we lead you up to first pitch, Dodgers and the Brewers. First pitch coming up at four fifteen. I'm Tim Kates' is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: Well, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunters game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: Lead you up to Dodgers and Brewers Saday, Saturday Afternoonion to hear from Reggie Smith coming up in about twenty minutes as he is going into the legends of Dodgers Baseball. Justin Robleski Jacob Izarowski. The pitching match up, first pitch coming up at four fifteen. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by al Pto born in.
Speaker 5: La made for that game day.
Speaker 7: El Poto brings authentic Mexican style tomato sauces, salsa's hot sauces right to your plate every single time.
Speaker 5: El Poto gourmee and a.
Speaker 3: Can joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 11: I accept everybody for who they are are.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger insider David bad.
Speaker 9: All right, DV.
Speaker 5: We talked about it yesterday.
Speaker 7: If the situation was there with Dave Roberts, go back to Edwin Diaz in the ninth inning to close out a game.
Speaker 11: And he did, Yeah, he did.
Speaker 6: And Edwin Diaz got himself into a basis loaded jam and got himself out of a basis loaded jam with an assist from Tommy Edmond who made a spectacular play in the ninth inning for the second out, and Key k Hernandez making a great play on a throw that had little mustard on it from Mookie Betts. And after the game, Edwin Diaz, after we were done talking to Tommy Edmund, decided he wanted to share his thoughts on escaping that ninth inning.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know we we throw straight right now. Well, this is not forever. I'm ready you know I worked in every single day with a pitching coaches. You know, soon we clicked we would be fine.
Speaker 1: So today what I godwy for me?
Speaker 9: Me good?
Speaker 13: From yesterday, I learned a lot and today I did my job, got decided for the team.
Speaker 11: Love it. What did Key K tell you?
Speaker 13: You know, keep going, You're the best pitch in the wharf.
Speaker 9: Keep going.
Speaker 13: We got you on way me.
Speaker 6: Hey, your teammates got you. Tommy Edmund got you. Key k Hernandez got you. La has got you. Thank you for stopping.
Speaker 9: Thank you thending.
Speaker 6: How about that Key k Hernandez going to the mount really quick just to boost his confidence. And Key K was a big part in recruiting Edwin Diaz to sign with the Dodgers during the obseason, since they're both Puerto Rican and they had that relationship. But the Dodgers need Edwin Diaz, and that's part of the thinking Dave Roberts had of putting him back in there in the ninth inning because they need Edwin Diaz, at least for the short term in the regular season to close games, especially tim as the Dodgers are down a reliever because they are sticking with the six man rotation. Even with Otani not pitching currently, which takes away a pitcher from the bullpen because, as you know, you're only allowed to carry thirteen pitchers on the roster these days.
Speaker 7: David is brought to you by Ford Summer Sales Event. Don't wait hurrying now for the best offers of the year. Go to buy Ford now dot com. You're Southern California Ford Dealer for more information, Ford Official vehicle of Major League Baseball. You mentioned him, show Hey, Otani seems like he's training in the right direction, as is Will Smith.
Speaker 5: DV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, both guys had a big day. It was a pivotal day for both players.
Speaker 11: Show Hey.
Speaker 6: Otani threw a bullpen session for the first time since he threw one in Philadelphia and had to shut things down pitching wise. Interesting enough, he threw a thirty four pitch bullpen session in Philly.
Speaker 11: There were thirty four pitches.
Speaker 6: Thrown yesterday and Dave Roberts said that he came out of it. Okay, he's in the starting lineup and the next step would be for Otani to throw a bullpen session and then throw to hitters, so the progression is in place. And for Will Smith, I had a chance to talk to Alex Vesia, who actually was working on mechanics in the bullpen and threw a light bullpen session. Will Smith was the catcher, and he said, hey, he looked like Will Smith no issues with the neck while he was catching him. Came out, took batting practice after all that, and more importantly, today came back feeling good. I talked to Vessia and Vessi has said, yeah, he actually smiled, so I think he's feeling good.
Speaker 9: That's great.
Speaker 7: Last night we saw Yamamoto on the mound. This is a big series, no doubt, between the two best teams in baseball. Yam a last night, and today we get the chance to see the miss DV.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: You heard Dave Roberts mention it.
Speaker 6: Players don't want to be embarrassed no matter who's on the mound, and I would expect a heightened sense of focus from the Dodger hitters today to try to get that pitch count up on the MIZ And talking to players in that clubhouse, they said the same thing. They feel like they're not going to be embarrassed today, so they're coming out looking to attack Mizerowski.
Speaker 9: Love.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a big game coming up.
Speaker 7: Day's gonna have a conversation with Reggie Smith coming up about fifteen minutes. Looking forward to that. Thank you, DV still to come here. I'm Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. We'll dive deeper this pitching matchup as well, but up next your Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers and Brewers first pitch at four fifteen. It's Justin Robleski Jacob Mizzowski the pitching matchup. I'm Tim Kass the back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio nowhere.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tap.
Speaker 1: On your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and Brewers on this Saturday afternoon. Twentieth Century Studios. The Dog Stars. Legendary director Ridley Scott returns with a gripping post apocalyptic thriller starring Jacob Elordi, Josh Brolin, Margaret Qualley, and Guy Pierce. The Dog Stars only in theaters and Imax August twenty eighth.
Speaker 15: Get your tickets now, Dog who wants a Hot It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment.
Speaker 5: Bitch Magical.
Speaker 1: By Hawfy Hot Times.
Speaker 5: If the Dodgers take it on the Brewers.
Speaker 7: We go back to twenty eighteen, the NLCS Game seven in Milwaukee. Things are getting tense and especially some big time defense from CT three.
Speaker 10: No ball's two strikes, Kane leading from second for he is set at the belt the O two fly ball left center field.
Speaker 11: It's gonna be a long run for.
Speaker 16: Taylor and he makes a spectacular over the shoulder catch on the warning track, falling to the ground. Want to play by Chris Taylor, saving a run and ending the inning.
Speaker 8: I didn't think he had a chance in the world. He reached up as high as he could as he was really falling down. He was going to sacrifice body and all. An incredible catch in a critical spot.
Speaker 7: A huge catch in the fifth inning to keep it at a two to one Dodgers lead. Cody Bellinger at homeward in the second inning to give the Dodgers the lead, and then in the sixth Yassio you get three run home run to give the Dodgers a five to one lead. Clayton Kershaw pitched his scoreless ninth to seal the win and give the Dodgers the National League Championship Series at Miller Park as they win Game seven back in two thousand and eighteen. This hockey magical moment brought to by Hofey hot Dogs, Hofey so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Hofey hot Dogs, Local and so great. When we continue here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we'll check in with Rick Monday coming up in about ten minutes. We're here for Reggie Smith being inducted into the Legends of Dodgers Baseball. As we lead you up to Dodgers and Brewers, I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's the Dodgers and the Brewers on this Saturday afternoon. Justin Robleski, Jacob Mazeroski the pitching matchup.
Speaker 5: It's time now for the Brison startup.
Speaker 7: As we are about thirty nine minutes away from the start of the game. ALV Verizon you can lock in that low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your so Calvi Verizon store today and now.
Speaker 3: Joined by David Maasse here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: Rick, before we even get to first page, it's a special night at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 11: Reggie Smith about to be honored.
Speaker 8: That's gonna be fun, David, because Reggie and his wife Rose will be here and we have a chance to take a couple of moments. You know, I think with all the talking, and he'll be inducted into the Dodgers you know, Baseball immortals. If you will here at Dodgers Stadium. That's a wonderful tribute. There's no question about I very well earned. Reggie and I go back a long time, and just thinking about a couple of things to say about Reggie. First of all, he's the only teammate that I ever had and I played high school football against. Because Reggie went to Centennial, I went to Santa Monica and we actually played games against Centennial. I will not tell you the outcome because I don't want him to start celebrating again. But that that's kind of the question. We both shared some other moments. He too became a pilot, and we you know, we flew a little bit. But I always wondered when I played against him in Boston and then played against him in Saint Louis, wondering what makes good players really tick? What's the inside? Wonder what's going on? Well, first of all, he's very intelligent. Secondly, he's very gifted as an athlete. But then he was never satisfied with justin at bat. What what made the A bat good? What made the abat bad? What about the swing? What about the technology of the swing? And I guess it maybe started. We really talked to Reggie about this. But remember he was with the Red Sox and a guy the named of Ted Williams would come to spring training and talk. And I remember a brief conversation that I had with Ted Williams. Well, we went to play the Red Sox. It was my first spring training. Behind the batting cage was Ted Williams, and I was nervous as heck because here's here's Ted Williams. I mean, this guy is a giant icon in the.
Speaker 11: Game of baseball.
Speaker 8: He's watching, I know he's watching, and I can feel his eyes just kind of penetrating, and I'm thinking, there's nothing that I'm doing here that's going to be right. And the great Ted Williams is watching me. So I get through a batting practice when I come out of the cage and Ted Williams comes over to me and he goes, hey, kid, how I'm Ted Williams.
Speaker 5: And I guess her how aart?
Speaker 8: Nice to see you. Let me ask the question, is there any pitch it gives you any problems? I said, well, I'm having trouble to ball this upstairs. That high pitch. He said, we'll lay off of it, don't swing at it, and he walked away. That was his remedy.
Speaker 11: Hey, that's a keep it simple type of situation.
Speaker 8: That's keeping it very simple. I scratched my head and I said, well that makes sense. Yeah, if you can't hit it while I swing at it. And that's when they of the strike stones were much much higher, in particular in the American League, because the umpires at the time were the outside chess protector and they position up above the catcher's head, not in the slot, just off of his shoulder, inside or outside.
Speaker 6: Well, Rick going back to Reggie and being teammates with him, obviously Ted Williams had a big influence on him, but Reggie Smith had a huge influence as a.
Speaker 11: Coach on a lot of great Dodger players.
Speaker 6: Did he think the game as a player that way or did he become that guy after.
Speaker 8: I think both, if that makes any sense. I think along the way, you pick up a lot of different things. He was always inquisitive. From what I could see. He analyzed pitchers that we were facing. And then Reggie detested losing, whether it be a ballgame or in a bat, or just not looking good. Nobody wants to embarrass themselves when they're out there. Immense talent, no question about it, but also equipped with immense pride to make sure that he went the extra mile or two or ten if needed to get himself ready. I remember I have not ask him this question. He'd ask him today because I order conversation with the great Moury Wills in the past. I asked Maury who was a switch hitter and Reggie in that very elite group of switch hitters with over three hundred career home runs. Now that's elite of elite. But I remember Maury saying once and I asked him, you mentioned about a slump. I said, well, did you ever get into a slump from both sides of the plate big a switch hitter, He goes, no, never did. I'm going to ask Reggie, did you ever get into a slump from both sides of the plate.
Speaker 6: At the same time, I also heard he was one of the toughest teammates you could ever have. If you were in a trench and you know, in a fox hole, you would want Reggie Smith on your side.
Speaker 8: Yeah. He was one of those guys. If he said he was going to go to get some AMMO and to be right back, he'd be right back.
Speaker 6: In Dusty Baker's new book, he actually said though, one of three guys that he would pick to be on his side of a fight, Reggie Smith would.
Speaker 11: Be his first pick.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, and it's a very good pick too.
Speaker 6: On top of it, Hey, before I'm back out of here, I obviously knowing the history of how you became a Dodger, how he became a Dodger, and the infield, the infield of Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Say and Jaeger couldn't get over the hump until the outfield of Monday, Smith and Baker arrived.
Speaker 11: Do you three have.
Speaker 6: That type of bond in a way that maybe the infield has their own type of bond to me.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 8: There's a wonderful photo that I have in my home that shows it was opening day the very first year that I joined the Dodgers. It was taken just downside of the Dodger's office, actually in one of the flower beds, if you will. It was the starting lineup of the very first game Tommy Lasorda, it was his first full season as the manager, and all of the players, including the starting pitcher, who was Don Sutton on that opening day. And that photo really meant something because I remember that very first day of the nineteen seventy seven season when I joined the team, Reggie joined the seventy six I remember looking to my right and seeing Dusty to my left and seeing Reggie, and then you look at this infield, which was a record setting infield as it turned out to be, all the way around the infield. Jaeger was the starting the opening day catcher, and I'm thinking, Wow, I finally made it to the big leagues. This was quite a team, Yeah, sure was.
Speaker 6: Nineteen seventy seven was the start of something special.
Speaker 11: Rick can't wait to hear what you have to say on the field.
Speaker 6: And you just turn it, pal, we went through the dry run perfect, perfect, all right, Reggie Smith about to be honored, Tim.
Speaker 11: We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lot of DV Dodgers Baseball, present of by Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: Visit Uniclo dot com.
Speaker 7: Slash us still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. Before first page, we're going to preview this great pitching matchup, a pair of all stars going at it. Charlie and Rickle have those keys of the game. But up next we're gonna go to the man of the day, Reggie Smith, Pete and duct in the Legends of Dodgers Baseball. That's next first pitch coming up in four fifteen. I'm Tim Kates. Is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Tap on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 7: Dodgers and Brewers squaring off Game three in this four game weekend set Justin Robleski Jacob Mizarowski. The pitching match off Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shakey's dot Com.
Speaker 3: David, and now what will likely be vest fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 5: It's an engagement of endearment is high and tight.
Speaker 6: Well, of course, the miss is on the mound for the Brewers today. But it's a special day at Dodgers Stadium because one of the all time great Dodgers, one of the all time great players, one of the all time great teammates, one of the all time great coaches is going to be honored and enshrined forever in the legends of Dodger Baseball. And that's the one and only Reggie Smith who joins us.
Speaker 11: And it's a beautiful day to be celebrated.
Speaker 6: Reggie, thanks a lot for the time and congratulations.
Speaker 9: Oh David, thanks for having me.
Speaker 17: This is quite an exciting time for me, especially me and my family, and really looking forward to it.
Speaker 6: Are you aware of how many lives you have touched over the course of your life, your baseball life, and your coaching life.
Speaker 9: Well, David, I don't count.
Speaker 17: I just the love that I've received and the calls and the emails and everything. You know, I stop and think about it, and it's like, oh wow, But I'm glad to have been there, and it's been my purpose in life.
Speaker 9: And it's given me the opportunity to serve it.
Speaker 6: Your Dodger career started with you getting to know not only your manager, your Tommy Lesorda, your teammates, but also you had a very close relationship with not only Peter O'Malley, but his father, Walter O'Malley.
Speaker 11: How did that all come together?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 17: I met Walter in spring training and it was the first time in We were taking batting practice and we were hitting a lot of balls into the golf course behind the Holman Stadium there, and all of a sudden, I hear this voice say, you guys are losing a lot of baseballs.
Speaker 9: And I didn't know who it.
Speaker 17: Was and at the time, so I just turned around and said, Uh, if you can't afford the baseball then then then why are you own the team and the guys all of the Do you know that was mister O'Malley.
Speaker 9: I go, okay, but still the shame.
Speaker 17: Uh, we're here trying to get ready to win a World Series. So now that evening there's a knock in my door, Davy Lopes in my roommate were we were watching the final four in the basketball our sweet sixteen. I'm sorry, and Ben Greer, who was mister O'Malley's personal handling in Chofur, came to doing said, Regie, mister O'Malley would like to see, well, everyone knows how the last four minutes.
Speaker 9: Are of a basketball game. There there. It took a little long, and I said, okay, I'll be right there.
Speaker 17: Well Ben wound up coming back and he said, regim, mister O'Malley, he said, and he says, he's right there.
Speaker 9: So he was outside my door in the.
Speaker 17: Golf cart, and he took me down to his suite and he said, you know to me that he said, asked me how come I wasn't afraid of him like everyone else. And I told him, well, you put your parts on one leg at a time like any other man, and when you die, they're gonna stick to your butt to the ground and you're gonna stink it. And I heard this laugh in the back room and it was missus O'Malley. And from that time on, mister O'Malley asked me you know and told me why I was there, and I thanked him for bringing me home to play in front of my parents and family at a time when I was at the best of my career. And I developed that same relationship with Peter O'Malley and he's a good friend and I understand he's going to be here today too, So I'm really excited.
Speaker 6: Not special, seventeen years of Major League Baseball, six glorious years back in LA after playing high school at Centennial High School? Was that always your dream, Reggie, to play for the Dodgers or was football in your future or how did this turn into a life?
Speaker 17: Actually I thought football was going to be in my future because I really loved the game and it had hoped and go to college to play football.
Speaker 9: But now you should life intervene.
Speaker 17: My dad got sick and it was an opportunity for me to help the family from that standpoint with a signing bonus with baseball, and my dad was a little bit upset with me at the time for choosing that route, but my mom said, hey, and that's what he wants to do, let him do it. And fortunately it turned out it was the right decision because I was able to play for twenty two years.
Speaker 6: Reggie Smith is surrounded by his family, his blood family, but also your Dodger family. Like you mentioned, Peter O'Malley, Dusty Baker's behind us, Kenny Landrew, Darryl Thomas. We saw earlier how much of a family were you guys.
Speaker 17: Just that that was fostered by not only the O'Malley family, but Tommy Lishorta. You know, that's how we treated each other. We looked out for each other. We did everything that families do. You know, we argued, but when it came time to put that uniform on, we were one, and we called ourselves like we were an octopus if one arm didn't get to the other wood And this guy's a Dusty and Garby say Bills in my late roomy uh, Davey Lopes and all of the other guys that were there made it a special time for me here, and we were a pretty good.
Speaker 11: Ball club, Reggie.
Speaker 6: When you think about your teams, they always talk about the infield, and rightfully so. But when the Dodgers acquired yourself, Dusty Baker, and Rick Monday, you pushed them over the top. Do you three have a similar bond in a different way than the infield did for all those years.
Speaker 17: We did, you know that outfield that played together for as long as we did six and a half years, and if you the infield played together for nine years, probably the longest in baseball history.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 17: We took care of one another, and like I said, we competed against each other because it was always the outfielders and the catchers hitting against the infielders and everything.
Speaker 9: So we pushed each other to excellence.
Speaker 6: Here's another thing that I've always wondered about you. Your post playing career meant so much to so many players, Mike Piazza, Tim Wallack, Eric Carrows as a coach because of the cerebral way you look at life and the way you look at baseball and hitting. Were you that way while you were playing? Or is that something that experience taught you.
Speaker 17: Experience is what gives you knowledge, and knowledge is what gives you wisdom. And I played the game how I was taught to play it and how he was believed that it's supposed to be played. And that's what intensity and uh, integrity and honesty. Uh, That's that's where I played the game. And Uh, anything that I do when I'm coaching or I'm teaching. I passed that along because I want them to not only love the game, but we have to kind of respect for it that it deserves and that's to be played.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: You seem like the type of person that you get more gratification health being others than what you did on the field.
Speaker 11: I mean, the list goes on and on.
Speaker 6: You know, kids that played college or high school baseball going all the way to the majors. How much do you feel like you've paid forward everything that you've learned?
Speaker 17: Well, you know, a long time ago, I learned what my purpose in life was, and that's to help people. And more importantly, you know, having my baseball hero being Jackie Robinson and living up to his motto that a life is only as important as the impact that it has on others. And that's what I endeavored to do, is whatever I can to help someone, And if it's through a gift that was passed along to me of being able to play the game and the knowledge that I gained from it, then that was a gift.
Speaker 9: And the only way to keep the gift is you have to share it.
Speaker 6: I guess you shared it with not only players, but coaches because out at and seen a Little League Reggie Smith's baseball camp. You have certainly taught the teachers.
Speaker 17: Well, that's all part of it, you know, the teaching aspect, de w Dan. They're the ones you can teach an individual, but if you teach a coach, you have an opportunity to to have an impact and teach thousands. So I do spend that kind of time in making sure that the teachers of the kids, the instructors of the kids, are knowledgeable and they understand their purpose in life.
Speaker 6: Reggie Smith is our guest. He's going to be honored in moments in the legends of Dodger Baseball. He'll be wearing that beautiful blue jacket the rest of his days. And before I let you go, since he's standing behind us there, Dusty Baker, I'm sure you heard about his book and the interviews he's done. He said if he was to pick one guy to be in a fight on his side, it would be Reggie Smith. What did you think about him saying that multiple times?
Speaker 17: Well, that's how I feel about him. I would want Dusty in my siety. He was always there for me and definitely missed the clutch. So yeah, I feel the same way about Dusty.
Speaker 6: It seems like it's a brotherhood, right, you mentioned Davey Lopes you Dusty, it seemed like a brotherhood.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 17: We became brothers because not only we did the same thing, but we shared a lot of the same philosophy and attitude about how the game should be played.
Speaker 6: All right, Reggie, thanks a lot for the time, congratulations, and don't be afraid to run into Kyle Tucker for us.
Speaker 9: You got it, Okay, thank you? Alrighty, Hey David.
Speaker 6: There he is the great Reggie Smith, deservedly so being inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 11: Tim, we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks a lot of DV. Congratulations to Reggie Smith.
Speaker 7: As we lead you out to first pitch, Dodgers and Brewers up next, we'll break down this great pitching matchup.
Speaker 5: Don't you go anywhere.
Speaker 7: I'm Tim Katson's the back to back World Cries champion Dodgers Audio Nework.
Speaker 3: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 7: It's Dodgers and the Milwaukee Brewers on the Saturday afternoon. Congratulations to Reggie Smith, the latest legend of Dodgers Baseball ceremony wrapping up here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch coming up at four fifteen.
Speaker 3: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 7: Matchup, brought to you by your Toyota dealers. We make it easy. Jacob Mizowski makes it look easy. The miss eleven and five with a one seventy six RRA. That one seventy six rora is best in the major leagues by far. Chris Sale is behind him at two point one six. His two hundred and four strikeouts this year also best in Major League Baseball. He is ahead of Dylan c. Gavin Williams of the Cleveland Guardians. Massive Miserowski with two hundred and four strikeouts already this year.
Speaker 5: The twenty four year.
Speaker 7: Old and his second full season in the Big League, second time as an All Star, He right now is the front runner for the National League Cy Young Award. Fastball over one hundred miles an hour, cutter, slider and occasional curveball. Making his twenty third start this year, opponents are hitting just one forty seven against him. Last time out, six innings, three runs, four hits, nine strikeouts and a no decision against the Twins. This is his second career start against the Dodgers. Miserrowski got a three to one win in his only regular season meeting against them. That was back on July eighth of last year at American Family Feel. He wins six innings, allowed one run on four hits while striking out twelve. Another All Star, this one for the Dodgers. Getting the start today. Justin Robleski eleven and four with a three forty four ERA. The twenty six year old left ever having a great season, he has already established a career high at innings and wins. Making his twentyth start twenty first appearance, He's pitched at least six innings and fourteen of his nineteen starts years this year, last time out, three and a third innings wasn't good four runs, six hits, a home run, three walks, three strikeouts in a loss to the Diamondbacks. Since the All Star break, Justin Robleski has struggled three starts. He's oho and two with the nine to eighty eight ERA, fifteen earned runs, over thirteen and two third innings. He's also given up nine home runs in those three starts against the Brewers. Robuski oh to two with an eight ten ERA, including a loss back on May twenty second this season, where he gave up five runs on eight hits over five innings of work. Justin Robleski, Jacob Miseerowski. Dodgers and Brewers were fifteen minutes away for first pitch.
Speaker 9: Keys to the game.
Speaker 7: Our next, I'm Tim Kason is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Monte game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball eight.
Speaker 7: Yes, the Dodgers and Brewers. Justin Robleski, Jacob Miseroowski. The p matchup is we get you ready for the start of the game with Saporo Start great moments, Start with Saporo Beer. Yeah, whatever your taste preference to Poro has you covered with the Brighty Crispin refreshing loggers including light and non alcoholic beer, Soporo, good with sushi, Great with baseball. Back out to the booth one final time, Charlie Seiner Rick Monday.
Speaker 10: Guys, All right, Tim, Now we get ready for Game three of the four game series the Dodgers coming off their three to one win last night. Thirty nine games remain in the regular season, and the Dodgers are trailing Milwaukee, the best record of the nation of the league by one game for home field.
Speaker 11: A bandage come playoff time.
Speaker 9: Well, we get a chance to see the miss today.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, don't blink, because you may miss the fastball. He's thrown eight hundred and thirty six pitches one hundred miles an hour or more. That's just the beginning. He's not allowed more than three earned runs in any start this season. That's on one side of the legend. On the other side is Justin Robleski, who hopefully has been able to kind of sort some things out. He's had too many pitches out over the late he has suffered the of the consequences because the last sixteen and the third innings that he's pitched, he has given up nine home runs. That needs to stop. And I think he's just been analyzing exactly what he needs to do to alleviate that.
Speaker 10: Game three of the four games series, the Dodgers and the burs will deal with the lineups and first pitching just a bit, Tim.
Speaker 7: All right, I'll keep it an eye on the Diamondbacks and the Padres, both in action San Diego in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: To take on the Guardians.
Speaker 7: That game just about to get underway, as is the Snakes and the Braves down south in Atlanta. David bassanids got your cover with all the postgame win this is over, including Dodger talk as well two all stars squaring off Justin Robleski Jacob Mazarowski Dodgers and Brewers first pitch in the ravine when we come back.
Speaker 5: This has been Wrongo Casino.
Speaker 7: Dodgers on deck on your back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network