Speaker 1: The Dodgers are getting ready for first pitch in Saint Louis, and we're joining right now by former Cardinal NLCS MVP with the Dodgers, two time World Series champion with the Dodgers. That's the one and only Tommy Edmund. Tommy, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, thank you, Dave appreciate it. Always a pleasure chatting.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm the only guy that hasn't forgotten you, Tommy Edmund.
Speaker 2: That's right. I know I'm easy to forget, especially on this amazing team that we've got. But yeah, I'm excited to hopefully be back soon and you know, back to playing some ball and contributing for the best team in baseball.
Speaker 1: You seem to have a great perspective on life, but I'm sure this is testing your patience trying to get this right ankle to cooperating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. It's it's tough when you know, we're baseball players and you know, or a lot of the time we find our value and just like how we're contributing on the field. But you know, I'm trying to do everything I can to you know, just stay part of the team. And and be the best cheerleader that I can be, and you know, just supporting, supporting everybody, supporting all the guys who are going through the grind and you know, hopefully I'll be a part of it soon.
Speaker 1: Have some of the young guys try to lean on you, like Alex Freeland, maybe he's Sun Kim here and there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's it's tough. You've seen, uh, you know, seeing everybody go through the stuff of a regular season, you know, all the ups and downs, and you know, me not really not being able to relate since I'm not playing, But you know, I've I've been able to have some good conversations with some of the guys and you know, just kind of trying to relate some of my own experiences and hopefully be a good influence and be a good leader for them.
Speaker 1: What's your therapy to try to maintain your patience until you come back.
Speaker 2: You know, it's we have a having two kids mix things a lot easier. You know, there's not much downtime even when even when I'm I'm not playing, So I guess that's been a good part of it is, you know, just getting a little bit of extra time with the family, and you know, Eli is gonna be a really good hitter by the end of my il stint because we're playing a lot of ball in the backyard right now.
Speaker 1: Sounds good at least at least that's the positive to all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it's a that part's a lot of fun. I think it would definitely be a lot tougher to go through if I didn't have my family to lean on.
Speaker 1: Right now, Tommy Edman is our guest. All right, Tommy, I'll put the analyst hat on you, since you've had a front row seed when the team is here at Dodgers Stadium. What have you thought about the start the team has gotten off to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's been incredible, but you know that's kind of what's expected so far. You know, it really seems like we haven't gotten super high yet. I mean, our starting pitching has been unbelievable. We haven't gotten crazy hot as an offense yet, but you know, we're still, you know whatever, ten or ten games over five hundred right now. So it's crazy that, you know, we feel like we haven't played our best baseball yet, but we still have one of the best records in MLB and I'm just excited to see what happens when all our bats get hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially the area of the lineup where you usually hit the bottom third of the order. It seems like you guys have got back to not only turning the lineup over, but those group of guys have really been productive.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy. Yeah. I mean, that's just the depth of our team right now. You know, Andy was hitting seventh for a while and he was in four hundred, you know, and Kim's doing an amazing job getting on base, a ton freelance getting on base, and you know, given the top of the top of the line up, a lot of opportunities to drive runs in. So you know, it's it's uh, yeah, there's definitely you know. It kind of just speaks to how good our offense can be when everyone's firing on all cylinders.
Speaker 1: What have you seen as far as the growth from Andy Pat.
Speaker 2: Has his uh, you know, it seems like his his mindset has really grown a ton. You know. I feel like he's able to adjust from at bat to add bat a lot easier. It seemed like maybe in the last couple of years he would, you know, go into a bit of a slide and that would kind of impact the rest of his day, maybe the next couple of days. But I've really been impressed with the way he'll He'll maybe have it at bat that didn't go the way he wanted it earlier in a game, but then find a way to have a huge at bat later that day. So I think just being able to adapt and you know, figure out how to improve from at bat to at bat.
Speaker 1: Is that the biggest thing for a young player, Tommy, when you first start getting some success and then you may not have the at bat that you want the first time up. How much is that part of not just giving away the game from that point on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really important, and it's something that you know, I think even veterans have to work on. I kind of struggle with it myself from time to time, you know, just understanding it's it's it's a whole season. You know, it's six hundred at bats, it's not just one game. So if you have one or two at bats to start off the game, like that's such a small sample size over the course of a full year, and it's tough to have two bad at bats and then but stick with your same approach going into your third and fourth But you know, it's an important lesson to know, just not try to change anything crazy just because one or two at bats didn't go your way.
Speaker 1: Tommy emmon is our, he asked in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Cardinals. Tommy around the league, now, we've heard, obviously teams have gotten off to disappointing starts, and you're starting to hear from some of those players on those teams that they don't feel like they're heard from or their opinion is valued. With the Dodgers, it seems like Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts have always valued and always had an open communication with you guys. Do you feel like that's been a big part of the success the team has had the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was definitely very impressed with it when I first got here. It was just how open Doc and Andrew were with all the players. You know, sometimes that's not necessarily the case, you know, having everyone be like one strong, cohesive unit, and I think that's kind of what happens with the teams that haven't performed as well as expected. You know, I'm sure obviously there's We're thirty games into the season, so anything can happen the rest of the year, and maybe it's just teams have gotten off to a slow start, But I do know that that's one thing that has made this organization very successful over the last decade or so, is you know, just the fact that everyone is is pulling on the same rope and there's open communication, and you know, it doesn't feel like you're on an island in any case, even for myself being on the ilt right now, I still feel like I've had great communication with everybody on the team, and you know, it's it's just everything runs very smoothly from top to bottom.
Speaker 1: Is it important for players to feel like they have a voice and is it important for the front office with the manager to not only say you're doing this, but give you a reason behind why they're making a decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that's that's really valuable. You know, there's certain decisions, certain moves that are made over the course of a season that if there's no communication, it can kind of be you know, kind of be a shock. But you know, I think that this team does a good job of kind of preparing you for for what might be coming up, you know, in the in the near future. And yeah, I think that's I think that's so important in this business of baseball, you know, where things can seem kind of chaotic, that just to have you know, some people that you can lean on and people who are kind of prepare you for what's to come.
Speaker 1: All right, Tommy, I'm glad we have an open line of communication. Always enjoy being around you. You're such a great positive person to be around and certainly a great teammate even on the IL. And we can't wait to have you back out there soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave. I appreciate it. I'm excited to be back and hopefully we'll have some more communication our near future.
Speaker 1: I love it. We'll share a col brew together.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'll maybe some hoaviers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you some good places in Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: You got it, Tommy Edmund has been our guest. He'll receive a gift card to Javier's with a brand new location in Pasadena. You know the staple in Newport. They're all over southern California. Go see our friends at Javier's. We'll send it back to you. In the studio, Tim