Speaker 1: Mike McConnell music here today. We got to start getting Mike to come on from time to time. I was talking about that with Brian Combs a little while ago, just to get his thoughts on stuff that's happened in and around town, or around the country or around the world. I know that Mike just had some surgery on one of his feet and got to check in with him later today see how he's coming along. Two or three stories that have caught my attention over about the last twenty four hours. So do you want the good news or the bad news first? Sean McMahon, I'm gonna let you pick. We'll start with the good news. Start on a good note, the good news, okay, so well, let's go. Let's go good bad And then somewhere in between, how's that sound good news? The nuts All Foundation and what a job they do. Of course, all this started by the late, great, our beloved friend I knew him so well, my dad's partner for forty plus years, Joe Nuxall, and that organization, that foundation has continued doing what he started and taken it to an entirely new level. The Nucshall Foundation has reached a milestone in its Hope Center fundraising campaign, surpassing its million dollar goal by raising one point twenty five million for the construction of the Hope Center. Now, what is the Hope Center. The Hope Center is a year round indoor recreational facility designed for athletes with physical and developmental disabilities. The facility will be built at the site of the Joe Nuxall Miracle League Fields in Fairfield over on grow Lane. I have said before that every parent should take their children during the summertime to the Joe Knuxall Miracle Lead Fields. All of us. I don't care who you are. We're all guilty of just taking the small things. But the most important things for granted, Number one are health. The health of our children and whether or not they are interested in sports. Maybe they just get out there because you want them to play soccer, to get a little exercise. They're able to walk, they're able to run, they're able to do all of those things. Think and so often I'm guilty. So I'm not pointing any fingers. Believe me, it's hard looking in the mirror sometimes of just taking these things for granted. The Hope Center will be a year round indoor recreational facility designed for those athletes thirty one thousand square feet. They plan to break ground this year. The site will include an arena for new sports and events that will provide a permanent location for the Butler County Special Olympics. They'll have a multi perse purpose recreation room with accessible fitness equipment such as a wheelchair, accessible zip line, a ball pit, a one hundred and fifty person community room, a concession stand with workforce development opportunity for the special needs community, and it will also serve as the permanent headquarters for the Nusall Foundation. They got a one million dollar gift from the Hatton Foundation. A matching gift came along with it at the end of December, so that's a major boost to that campaign. And look, you can go to the Knucksall Foundation their website. Tyler Bradshaw does such a great job handling being the frontman for the organization. Kim Nuxall Bonnie Nucsall is Joe Knuxall's son, and he has just taken this thing to a whole new level. And the things that they are doing out there for people who are less fortunate than we are is just simply amazing, and I urge you, I plead with you, take a couple of hours out of a summer day and go up there and watch those children suffering from either a mental disability or a physical disability to be able to go and play in a baseball game. It will bring tears to your eyes, I promise you, And it will bring perhaps center us a little bit more into understanding the most important and appreciating the most important things that we are given and that our children are given. Okay, now another story that caught my eye. I asked Sean McMahon, our producer, a minute ago, does he know what doom scrolling is. I had never heard this term until last night when I started to read this article in Epic Health. Doom scrolling late at night increases suicide risk, but texting someone at three o'clock in the morning apparently does not have the same effect. This is a new study that just came out. So maybe you have a teenager or a child who has some kind of anxiety, depression, maybe thoughts of suicide. One of the worst things they can do is doom scroll at night. A new study of both kids and adults at high risk for suicide found that what people do on their phone after dark shapes how they feel the next day. Quote from Brook Ammerman, a psychology professor at the University of Wisconsin Madison, and she is the co author of this study, nighttime phone behavior isn't uniformly harmful. How people are using their phone maybe the thing that really matters. She said, we expected that nighttime use was going to be problematic, but the middle of the night active engagement, finding that it was associated with lower next day risk was the most interesting. So what they did is they over four weeks, they tracked seventy nine adults in South Bend, Indiana, fifty four women, twenty five men, the average age thirty five, all of whom had recently experienced suicidal thoughts or suicidal behaviors. So what researchers would do is they would take screenshots of the phone activity every few seconds and then categorized their screen use as either passive or active. Now, some screen activities demand little thought or movement your browsing news feeds, watching short videos, while others require more engagement, like messaging, typing, searching online. Participants completed daily surveys about their mood and any thoughts of suicide. And it came as no surprise on this part that those who did not use their phone seven to nine hours overnight typically uninterrupted sleep right, reported the fewest suicidal thoughts or plans. This was closely followed by people with four to seven hours of phone free time showing a higher risk, suggesting that shortened or disrupted sleep increase is your vulnerable ability. And you know, we were talking yesterday about how another study had just come out that outside of smoking, the thing that can determine your life expectancy even more. This study showed than what we eat, how frequently we exercise, that the amount of sleep we get was the second biggest area of shortening our lives. If we don't get enough sleep after smoking, and then the phones in this study are adding another layer of disruption. It's being called in this study the enemy of sleep. It's an easy distraction. You know about that blue light which suppresses your melatonin. That's the hormone that gets you into quote unquote nighttime mode, right, and then your whole circadian rhythm is off. So, if you are an adult and has had a history of some mental issues, maybe you have a teenager with a history of some mental issues, depression, anxiety, all those kinds of things. Take away the phone at night, take it away entirely, put it away if you're an adult. Third story that caught my eye, and this is you know, maybe for those that are thinking about advertising, because that is such a fascinating world to me. I mean, people like Procter and Gamble. They have study after study after study of psychologically how we think when we walk into stores, what we're looking at, what's the level of it on the shelf, all these kinds of things. Advertising comes in many, many different forms. I was surprised to learn now most of the podcast out there right, for example, has audio and video, but new research shutties comparing audio and video advertising are showing greater effectiveness and return on investment for audio only. So a joint effort from an audio specialist agency, Oxford Rose Okay, they went out and they examined more than one thousand podcast campaigns across over one hundred brands and found that spending a million dollars on a YouTube podcast resulted in a loss of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars versus an audio podcast campaign. Put another way, a YouTube podcast views are eighteen to twenty five percent less effective at driving purchases than audio podcast Now some of the reasons why audio listeners often seek out content intentionally and they foster stronger host connections, while YouTube viewers tend to be passive and algorithm driven. Two, audio podcast listeners are often focused on the host voice and recommendations, which apparently creates a more intimate and persuasive environment. And then number three, YouTube audiences don't pay as much attention due to either multitasking or a distracting visual element, making ads feel less personal. I don't know about you, but you know everybody you talk to. And I've done a podcast, I did one with my son. I'd like to do another one with my dad and my son. But I've always felt like, you know, paying attention to everybody else, that you had to have the video with it, that that's where we are. And I remember just a few years ago, a number of years ago now, having this conversation with my old partner on the Reds Games. He still does a game, Chris Welsh, and you know, he was telling me that the future of radio is dead, all this kind of thing, but in fact we are finding out and this isn't some self serving kind of a thing that I'm bringing up here. It's just that I think a lot of people out there told us, us, the population in general, that the future of radio compared to video and being able to look at things on our phones and all this kind of stuff, that people wanted the video. They don't want the audio anymore. But apparently, if you are an advertiser and you're making a decision between video and audio, that for the amount of money that you pay for that advertising, and it's considerably less on radio or a podcast than it is saying buying a TV commercial or even buying a video podcast, that your return on that based on the audience is an enormously higher return from an audio standpoint than it is from a podcast which has audio and video. I find this stuff so interesting at any rate. Coming up at eight thirty eight, we have Julie Isfording. Now, look, we know that a lot of people come to New year and I think it was seventy nine percent we were talking about it just before New Year's Day. Seventy nine percent of the people who make New Year's resolutions focus on their physical health. They want to get healthier, want to get in better shape, right. I mean, you've been there, I've been there, We've all been there. Fewer than ten percent actually stick with it of the seventy nine percent that make that commitment. That's what studies show after about three months. Okay, but let's say that you're gonna do it, and I believe you're gonna do it. If you say you're gonna do it, I believe you. So let's go and make it happen. But if you're thinking about going to the gym you've never been before. Maybe you're going to a yoga class, right, become more flexible, body feel better. Maybe you're going to I don't know, pilates class, exercise class, any kind. There are dues and don'ts about things once you get in that room, and I think that's where a lot of people get scared. If they are scared maybe the wrong word a little intimidated. It's very intimidating. I've walked in there and there are people that are rolling out their mats and they know exactly what waits to grab, and they know what bands to grab and all these kinds of thing before the class starts. But Julie is going to help you before you go in there about a few things you just might want to think about. So we're looking forward to hearing from our friend Julie Isfording and it is an enormously popular segment with her that we have each and every Tuesday here on the Morning Show. So we're back with that after the news. It is a twenty four on seven hundred WLW. All right, Chuck Ingram, what's happening out there? Brother, trying to get things to clear out a bit. Just is starting to get better on northbound seventy five. This from the uc Health Tramphic Center. Uc Health Weight Loss Center offers surgical and medical OBC tocaren expertise called five one three nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three. Had a wreck just before the bridge. That's clear.
Speaker 2: Then a second wreck is a Kyle's. They just cleared that one off on the right hand side. Traffic's still running close to an extra twenty minutes from Donaldson into downtown northbound four to seventy one continues heavy out of Southgate southbound seventy one working with a wreck just below Field Turtle, but traffic's improved there still slows between two seventy five and Red Bank and southbound seventy five. Break lights continue in and out of Lachland. Northbound seventy five is running heavy through the Wachland Split. There's a wreck on the twenty two at Union Chapel in Claremont County and Westwood Northern near Montana. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: All right our WCPO nine first onety fore casters enter our buddy, Jennifer catching mark. It's a cloudy day, but it's going to be a warm day. We're getting up to fifty seven degrees. It will be a breezy day when's expected to get anywhere from ten to twenty miles per hour. Tonight we're dry, cloudy, forty. Tomorrow's sunshine mixed with a few clouds, but a lot of sunshine. Tomorrow is going to be really nice, fifty two degrees down to thirty nine tomorrow night. Now Thursday, it will be dry until later in the afternoon, a spotty shower or maybe we're getting up to fifty eight tomorrow, then on Friday dry during the day. Fingers crossed on that when she says, and getting all the way up to sixty degrees on Friday, but Friday night, Jennifer says, we're gonna get what's called a soaking shower. So if you're going out Friday night, please keep that in mind. I got the news right around the corner. Then, Julie is fording right here on the Morning Show seven hundred wl W. All right, eight thirty eight, welcome to the Morning Show here on seven hundred WLW. We're all on that magic bus to get healthier, and that's why we welcome in the picture of Health herself, Julie isfording, Happy New Year. Julie is for ding new Year.
Speaker 3: To you too. The magic bus.
Speaker 1: Huh, I like it, Yeah, magic buzs of health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get on that bus.
Speaker 1: Tom, Well, you're already on it. The rest of us are sort of, you know, running behind the bus or walking or crawling or something behind the bus. It ain't running.
Speaker 3: That's a beautiful compliment, by the way. Well, I mean, I'll take it, but it's not truly. I think a lot of people are trying to get on the bus.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you and I talked about this before the New Year, and that is a study show that of all the quote unquote New Year's resolutions that people make, seventy nine percent of them have to do with getting in better physical shape. You talked a lot about the last time we got together before the New year, about you know, the mental health side of it and all those kinds of things along with the physical health side of it. Today, I want to zero in and I love the idea the topic you came up with today, because this is one of those things things where let's say your New Year's resolution is to get in better physical and mental shape. But on the physical side, Okay, I'm going to start going to the gym. I'm going to start going to an exercise class. Part of the gym or the exercise class involves a locker room. And today you are going to talk about certain etiquette that people might want to keep in mind before they go there, because you know, before we get to your suggestions, I got to tell you I think one of the things, and I think I'm speaking more for men here than women, because I can't speak for women. I've never been a woman. But for men, is that when you know, say your wife or your sister, or your daughter or whomever talks you into coming to one of these classes, and you've never been to one. Okay, walk in most times the lighting is dim. You know, you walk in and there's a mat over in that corner, a category for those there. There's an area of way eats. It vary from two pounds to twenty pounds. They're these bands in the room and all this other story. It can be, Julie, very intimidating.
Speaker 3: It really can be. And we're talking basically today about how the class is. Like I teach a lot of yoga and pilates. I teach it to art museum, and I teach it at MBRA, and I consider the gym, going to the gym or going to a class, it's like a big playground and here we go in the playground is much more crowded now. And frankly, as a teacher, and I think if you talk to any teacher in the city, it's a great time. I mean, here comes all these new students, all these people with one thing in mind. They just want to be better. And you have all these levels that come in and the first thing to realize is, just like life, everyone's at a different level. But some things to remember or like when you come into class, just your basic things will keep you like eighty percent ahead of everyone in that room. And that is your basic things. Just like when you were a kid on the playground, you know, you get there on time when you bring you know, like if you're in a yoga class, you roll out your yoga matt. You don't slam it down and say, well, here I am. And you know you also listen to the instructor. That's everyone's just listening, trying to understand the movement, not create. This is not the time to create your own little game. And if you're in the gym, what about you don't drag in all your stuff, you know, your gym bag. Same with classes, don't bring your stuff in, keep it in the locker room. That's what they're for. And always go with you know, a sense of childlike adventure. This is not like there are there is no perfect way to do yoga, there's no perfect way to do pilates, there's no perfect way to lift weights or to ride a peloton or but there's a hundred good ways. So it's like go for the good and and you know, and then just think about when you were a kid on the playground. You want to wear appropriate attire and you want to remember the locker room. It's like the kids' bathroom at school. Let's not be spending a lot of time in there. This is not the time for an hour shower or the time to have a full blown conversation with someone. Get in, get out, get done, and just you know, you can see my vibe here. It really should be a happy hour, whether you know however much time you spend at a class in a gym, and to realize that everyone is there for the same reason, just to get better. But I mean, do you have some stories.
Speaker 1: I always just go back to the to the way that I sort of preface this. Now, I will say I have been to your class. My wife and I, Polly and I have been to your class a number of times. And you are someone and I'm not saying this just because you're on the radio right now. You are someone that when someone walks in the class and you know immediately whether you've seen this person before. You may not know whether or not they've ever been to a class before, but I'm sure that you're perceptive enough that when somebody walks in and it's clearly their first or second time, and maybe they're a little unsure of some of the stuff. You're right there to answer any questions that may they may have. And that's all assuming, of course they get there a few minutes early and not walking in late to interrupt the class. But you're there to do that, you know. I think it's so important and incumbent upon the host of the class, Okay, the instructor of the class to be there and available for guys like me or people like me, women like me who are looking in there and you're just not sure what is all this stuff? What's it used for? Why are people getting this block over there? You know, you know what I'm saying. I mean, that stuff is what teachs you from going right.
Speaker 3: So I try to get there half an hour before class, hoping that the newbies will come early and then I'll have a chance to like talk to them and get them excited. And you're right, there is a look on certain people's faces when they walk in the room. I know this is our first class. Yeah, they have to look at my job and I'm so happy to see people. I mean, it's to me teaching, it's like this social time.
Speaker 1: You're like Julie, the host of the Love Boat was that her name, Julie. I think it was you.
Speaker 3: But I think it's so exciting to see one more new student because you remember, it's not the teacher. It's not the individual students that make a class great. It's the total energy in the room. So if people are having fun, they'll forget their exercising. And that's the point of all this, that exercise becomes fun. You fall in love with either a class routine. You know, you go with your buddies to a certain class and enjoy the camaraderie, you like the teacher. There's so much that goes into the enjoyment of exercise. Don't like don't stop short, like don't go to the gym, and like being you know, try to do it alone. I think classes are great. I think being in just watching other people use machines, if you use machines, asking for help from the staff and but you know, and then just doing your common kindness things. Don't leave a pool of sweat on the machine. Don't camp out on the machines. How's that one someone will be doing a set or using the dumbbolls and they just stand there and then they get on their phone or sit there. It's kind of like you really need to move along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny you say that, because I do see a lot of that. If you go in somewhere that maybe only has a couple of benches for a bench press, for example, and somebody's you know, doing their three sets or whatever they're doing, and in between the sets are sitting there scrolling on their phone. You know, you're waiting around. You got other people waiting around. I mean, you hit the nail on the head. All right. Look, look, look I want to ask you specifically. Okay, we're talking about etiquette and things like this. Let's say someone is coming to your class. Okay, the class that I've been to, all right, which is not a pilates class. There's a lot of stretching, there's some pilate movements things like that. But you talked about your attire. If you're some dude who's walking in there for the first time, why are you laughing? I've been that dude.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just thinking about what you're gonna say.
Speaker 1: Okay, what am I wearing? What am I wearing? I mean, because sometimes you know, you got to do some movements and stuff, and you know you don't want your you know, butt crack hanging out. You don't want to be able to sit there and you know, whatever it might be. I mean, you don't want to be in sweatpants and all of a sudden you've got the temperature turned up to one hundred and four. You know, you want to lose some weight, but maybe not that way. Help me? What am I wearing? What am I wearing? Oh?
Speaker 3: That is a great topic too, Like well, you know what, there's a lot if you go on Amazon or chat GBT, you can say what should I wear to a yoga class and you can get a whole like list of things. But usually men wear fitness long fitness shorts with tights underneath, just like Lebron James would wear, you know, just things your typical athletic wear t shirt. Just that kind of up wear is really appropriate. It's it's pretty easy now that we have so much to look at online or ask a buddy or you know, there's it's pretty standard and pretty easy once you get the lay of the land. And there suggests from people online too, So that's that's pretty much an easy one. It's it's the other things that are really hard, and that is just getting yourself started signed up and beginning again, and we talked about that, Tom. I think a lot of New Year's resolution is just try again, fail try again. You know, I always say to students, and I don't know if you've heard this before, but each class, or each opportunity at the gym, each hour you spend there, you always want to walk away with one amazing moment, one new learning, one beautiful failure, a great success in four miracles, because it might be a miracle that you got yourself there. So don't just count.
Speaker 1: A little right if it, discuss.
Speaker 3: The little stuff. You'll be surprised at what you discover about yourself. You know. It's like, wow, I can keep up, or I am getting better. And that's the great thing about exercise classes in the gym. It's a great equalizer. There's nobody really much better than anyone else, and everyone is going with the same intention, just like the kids playground, to have fun, to get something good out of it, to leave happy, to feel energized, and to feel a sense of accomplishment because it spills into the rest of your life. It's a spillage factor, I call it. I think I made that one up too, and that is when you feel good or accomplish something, even if it's really small, and you feel better physically, it's spills into everything. It spills into your work life, your adult life, you're parenting. It just makes everything a little bit better. And that's what we're looking for. Nothing's going to be perfect, but it's going to be okay. And sometimes just knowing that you know what, you can hang in there or you know there's no like great people to gym or great people in yoga. There's good people, but nobody is really killing it. We all really don't know what we're doing, but man, we're trying so hard.
Speaker 1: Well, Julie, there are some I've walked into a couple of classes where it's like ninety women. They're all like twenty something, and they're all like gumby. There are a little intimidating yeah, and then a fat guy walks in like me, Well.
Speaker 3: Just think of all of us who listen to you on the radio, how good you are? Right, we're all good at something. It's just figuring out what you're good at. But with exercise, it's just once again, always tell people just have fun and you have questions. I'm here, come early, I'll stay late. And you can learn so much from just watching other people, listening to the instructor, or just being there. If you learn one percent, you have one you walk out. You've maybe you met somebody new, maybe you learned a new move, but most importantly, you've got there and you tried again, and you tried again, and that's where the resilience comes. That's where your courage and your strength comes from. And remember none of this was easy. If it was easy, you wouldn't get you wouldn't have so much fun with it.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: We all want to grow, but honestly, it's it is a shared space. So just remember that. You know, you want to make it fun for everyone and your yourself, so kindness counts. And you know, just pretend that you're you're just you're playing with everyone else and you want to you want to do the right thing. That's pull basic etiquette roles. And you're already there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the first one you said right from the very beginning is be on time, because that's how you all of a sudden, either you get behind, you're asking somebody for help, and you're already starting the class and all that just get there a little bit early, like you said, And I think that in most cases you'll find and this is just based on my very limited but some experience, that if you do that from the very beginning, you have a chance to make it much more enjoyable and you'll come back again and you won't feel weird or any of that kind of thing. You're just making yourself. Just get out there and do it. Julius Fording, you are the best. Happy New Year, Happy New Year, Tom.
Speaker 3: It's good to have you back.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Julie is Fording joins us every Tuesday at this time eight thirty eight. We love Julius Fording. She is the best, all right. Speaking of the best, the best in the business is right here. The guru chuck ow.
Speaker 2: We look at that be me, that'd be you from U S Graffing Center U See Healthweight while center offers sergical and medico obesity caaren expertise called five to one three nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three. How we looking much better? And that includes getting pasted. A couple of accidents eastbound seventy four near Montana and southbound seventy five just below Union Center. Traffic still slows on southbound seventy five through Lachland, and the heaviest on seventy one is southbound between Fifer and Red Bank. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred wwlw.
Speaker 1: Our WCBO nine first warning forecast is going to be a really nice day today. It's already a nice day today. It's going to get all the way up to fifty seven degrees, cloudy and dry tonight, forty Tomorrow's sunshine can't wait. Fifty two degrees are high tomorrow thirty nine Tomorrow night. On Thursday we're up to fifty eight. There is a small chance of a spotty shower late in the afternoon on Thursday, and then on Friday it looks like a dry day all the way up to sixty degrees. But then Friday night, Jennifer says, there's a real good chance of rain, a soaking rain for Friday night. I was just flipping through earlier this morning. Some of the dogs and cats that are available right now at Cincinnati Animal Care and Control or the SPCA Cincinnati. There are dogs and cats that are looking for a second chance. Why not give it to them. Make your life better too. We'll talk with you tomorrow, Sloan. He's coming up next eight fifty five on the nation's station seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. This report is sponsored by Red Pilled America. Why haven't you listened to Red Pilled America? I get it. You must have pronouns in your bio, because if you don't, then you should be listening to Red Pilled America.