Speaker 1: Brad Meltzer birthday boy, Hey, how are you? I love happy birthday. I love celebrating with you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you. That's very kind. How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm good. I am good. My my son's birthday was yesterday, and so I guess have two people I love too close together, which is great.
Speaker 3: Very nice, and I'm sure he understands the second, the more important one to you, is on you.
Speaker 1: That's all. That's what it said. He was like, why is my birthday cakes? A happy birthday Elliott on.
Speaker 3: Hey, so Brad, real quick, before we get to before we get to Princess Diana, right, I want.
Speaker 2: To go back. The last time we saw you, you were in town.
Speaker 3: You were doing your book tour for the for the Viper, the novel that came out, dude, that went number one.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: It was you know, this was one of those books where you put it out there, you know, and I haven't had a thriller out in four years. You didn't know what was going to happen, and it was really nice to see the Obviously it was you know, in the category of where we were. We were the number one book, and you know, I said, my family bought a lot of copies that week, clearly but obviously so thrilled to see people. And I have to say this is important is right after I left you, we had our first events in Virginia, the one we gave out like Viper tattoos. So if you if you ordered early and you got them, and I said, the only thing we haven't had is a Viper tramp stamp so far, and needless to say, at the Virginia event two Elliott in the Morning listeners broke that record and we quickly had our first Viper tramp stamps. I think you're more excited than I was in that moment.
Speaker 2: Oh I was. I was very excited, but.
Speaker 1: I was pretty excited and you were even more excited. But it was I trust me. I took pictures with the butt crack.
Speaker 2: It was spectacular, Hey, Bret, So let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: Obviously, obviously the book, the book comes out, it sells, it goes number one.
Speaker 2: That's great. Has the has the feed beIN? I mean, because I mean, what's the right way to say.
Speaker 3: I could I could buy it, read it and not like it, but it still counts that I bought it.
Speaker 2: Have you been pleased with the like you said, it's.
Speaker 3: Been four years. Have you been pleased with all of the feedback from the book?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, listen, my you know, there are like people who will say, hey, you know, why why do you list you know, a Corvette doesn't have a backseat, Like, they'll find little things that we got wrong in it. So that's always a thrill to get from people. But you know, I got one yesterday from a police officer that came that said, I've never read a mystery thriller that left me in tears and like in a happy like he was just like this this book moved me. And I was just like, that's from like a New York ah, right, not the easy you know. And so those are the reviews that I care about most. Like by the time the book comes out the truth, says Elliott, like I know what I've got, Like I trust my gut. I was so proud of this book. The Viper to me was like one of the best things I've written. And whatever.
Speaker 2: As in all.
Speaker 1: Cases, some people will say it's the best and that doesn't mean it's right, and some people say it's the worst and that doesn't mean it's right. But like, I know who I care about in terms of like what I've got, and when I get something like from a from a brutal cop who walked the beats, like, yeah, I'll take that any day. That's the one that counts, right.
Speaker 3: Because we talked about that where it is. It's an unbelievable novel. But I think I even said to you, you tear up during the book where it's like, whoa, why why are my eyes all wet right now?
Speaker 2: Right right right?
Speaker 1: And I think my joke was that's that's an orgasm from your eyes. Yeah, But you know, the thing is is like I put you know, it's important and I don't know you know me a long time. Yeah, we know each other two decades now more. And and the truth is is like I think I'm just getting more honest, Like as I get older, I'm like less afraid to put myself in the book, so to speak, and I pour myself in there, and I pour like you know this moment in the book where like, you know, Zig finally calls his mother in law mom, and he's like he realized it was you know, he thought it was a gift for her, but it was a gift for him. And that's not just me being a writer when I turned you know, recently, like, I finally my mom has been dead, you know, almost eighteen years now, And it took me seventeen years before I called my mother in law mom again, even though I used to call her that when my mom died. I just couldn't do it anymore. Oh really, And I finally and I finally was, like, you know, I was. We had a birthday dinner for me a couple of years ago. I was writing the Viper, and I was like, and I called her mom again. It was the first time in whatever, all those years, and I that I was just bawling, and Corey's like, what, I'm like, I thought I was doing it. I held back all these years because I thought it was a favor to her. I didn't want to upset my mom. And I realized it was it was a gift for me. And my son says to me, My youngest says to me, I I think he calls my mom now, and I think your mom would be so proud of what you did tonight. She'd love it. And lost it. I lost my crow there, right, And so then you're seeing me put in the novel those moments that zig has are not just made up moments. There. There are moments for my life and that's why they hit you, because they're real.
Speaker 3: All right, last two things about the Viper, and then I want to get to Princess Diana. Number one. I saw you posted a picture of Linda Carter with with the Viper. I'm assuming that you know I listen, I know you know her and you know the books and everything. Does she text you while she's reading the book like I do?
Speaker 1: No, you are the only one. No, you are not like Linda Carter is I guess the easiest way to answer that, but I may and I wish she did, like I would love for that. Like, no, you're you're a text of the best of because you're reading The Viper and you're just like, oh my gosh. Yeah, I text in real time and I can see how factory and I know when you text when you're like I can't believe you did this, and then like whatever, twelve minutes later, I'll get out of the text like dude, dance and I'm like, and I know, oh, you're not gonna believe who the killer is in this one. And then I'm just waiting for that call, and so I love your text because they you know, a novel you never get to. The only person it happens with is my wife because she's sitting here and I usually I'm reading while she's reading. You know, I'm sitting there while she's reading because I want to see her reaction.
Speaker 2: Right, But if you and my.
Speaker 1: Wife would give me that like that feedback in real time, I wish I could like sit in everyone's house and watch them read, because it like it would just be it's so much fun to watch people react to your stuff.
Speaker 3: And now you pointed out that at the at the at the signing at Barnes and Noble and Tyson's, you got the tram stamp. Where was the signing where there are a woman who you went to a third forty eight years ago. You went to a third grade dance with her, and she showed up at one of your signings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she was my dance partner in fourth grade, Randy Boxer, and she showed like I'll see her a lot, but she showed up at my New York signing and we recreated. If you look on my Instagram and seasy to find because you just looked for the kid with the little bowl haircut, the nineteen seventy whatever it is bull haircut. And she showed up and we recreated the pose from our dance recital in fourth grade. And then the best part was three days later. I was in Vero Beach, Florida, and my buddy who I used to work at Hogendaws with, who came to my very first signing ever. Nobody was there. It was like my wife and him, and he walked in Karen a pit of Hogendaws, and he surprised me, and as I said in the post, he did not bring me any ice cream. Net bastard is very upset by it.
Speaker 3: Isn't that hoggin DAWs? If I remember an old story, isn't that Hoggen DAWs? Where there was some woman who was a real bitch to you.
Speaker 1: This woman snapped her fingers at me and she said, you're going to serve me. You need to serve me. I said, mam, I'll be right with you. She said, no, you need to serve me now. And I said, ma'am, you know you're being rude. I'm not serving you. Take your business elsewhere, and I'll never forget. She screamed in my face, you're going to be working at this miserable ice cream store for the rest of your miserable life. And I calmly looked at her and said, ma'am, if I am working here for the rest of my miserable life, you're still never getting any ice. And I told that story in the commencement address. I gave it the University of Michigan a couple of years back. And what's crazy is how many people we put it in our book make magic on it, but how many people that worked in like coffee places, restaurants, you know, named anywhere in the mall reached out to me after her and was like, I know the version of that woman, like thank you for And I don't look back at that woman. I was never mad at her, like to like laugh it off and be like, you know, that didn't bother me, but it totally bothered me. But today, if I can meet her, I'd thank her because that woman drove me. She pissed me off so much.
Speaker 2: She just she drove me.
Speaker 1: Like any success I have is like from that woman. So I would thank her today. So to me, like, you got to use your use your fear, use that anger and harness it and you know, don't don't you know? You got what you got to do with your enemies is prove them wrong.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's switch gears. I Am Princess Diana.
Speaker 3: It's out and available today, part of the Ordinary People Change the World series.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you a Royal Watcher?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you are you a Royals guy?
Speaker 1: No? I'm not. You know, the people who love Princess Diana was my The person who loved more than anyone was my mother, right, my mother. And my mom was like, you know, never read any newspapers. She thought all real news came from the Star in the Inquirer, like that was it, Like that was all she'd read. But she fringing and she didn't care about the President. She didn't care about the Supreme Court. She couldn't tell you what it. Yeah, my mom, you know, never went to college nothing, And boy does she love Princess Diana. Not just because she kind of like said screw you to Prince Charles, which was part of it, but she just felt like Princess Diana was unapologetically herself. And that's why I dedicated I Am Princess Diana to my my daughter and to my mother, Like may she rest in peace. My mother was always unapologetically herself.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you this. I'm like, I'm not a I'm not a royals person. Diana is. I'm not a I'm not a royals person.
Speaker 3: So, like Princess Diana obviously was very public, I couldn't have told you anything about her past other than she came from a rich family. And that gets pointed out in the book, like Prince Charles at that point isn't going to marry you know, so you know some rando who lived in town, So you knew she had to come from a good family. But I had no idea that she came from a family that like they never hugged her, never told her they loved her, like I know that the yeah, like they like she never had dinner with them, like her parents, and I know I knew nothing about them but her growing up. I mean, yes, did she come from privilege, of course, but growing up she didn't. She didn't have any love or support or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what you know. And again, every time I do these books, people are like, oh, do this person and I'll I kind of get into their life and I'm like, are they really that great, and Princess Diana is that great. I mean for Christmas, she would get a catalog from the fancy toy store and they'd be like, circle what you want and that. Then they'd show up and like you're like, okay, well she got you know, you're like, oh, she got what she wanted, but she didn't get any love. Like I wouldn't trade anything in the world, but what she had is this grandmother. And the grandmother wasn't just sweet and kind to her, but she used to go visit people in her town who needed things they could afford, who were sick, and she was like, what can I do for you? And to me, you know, she would just hold their hands, just sit there and hold their hand. And when you're a kid like I, my grandfather is the one who taught me what kindness was, right. It certainly wasn't my dad. My dad was a maniac, right like, my dad was fighting with everyone. But my grandfather was the one who was like what you know, like would give away things to people who had nothing. And we didn't have that much, but he could find people who had less and would give away stuff. And I remember being like that changed my life. So when I saw that story about Princess Diana, I'm like, oh, I get this woman now I connect and watching you know, this woman who comes from nothing, who turns into someone who just gives so much love to so many strangers, was stagged. I was like, she is worth and I am booked, like she she's amazed me.
Speaker 3: Hey, and so in one of the things you talk about, like you talk about how her grandmother steps in after her her parents get divorced, and her grandmother was like, she just wants to help people, like you said, even if it's just to hold their hand or to sit with them and just treat them like they're somebody as opposed to to a cast off. You talk about how every Tuesday and Thursday, when Princess Diana was a young was a younger girl, every Tuesday and Thursday, she and some of her classmates they would spend time and like just go see like sick people, and like while some of them were scared, like some of the people were scared to like go interact with them, Princess Diana just jumped in and ran up there.
Speaker 2: Was she was she doing that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Was she the leader who brought those other kids or was that like her grandmother bringing Diana and her friends, or she already picked.
Speaker 2: Up on it at that point, I want to go help people.
Speaker 1: No, I think it was something through her seat. There were a bunch of stories, but I think it was just through her school, so it wasn't like they brought her there. But when when you you know, if you ever worked in when when you're when your class goes to like the old age home, You're like, oh, here we go, we got to do the service hours. Everyone else is like, these kids are coming in looks like you know, old people are swarming and they feel like zombies attacking right, And the classmates would get scared because they'd be like, these are old people who are trying to spend time with it. Even though we came for this, it's still look creepy and weird and you're a little kid. And Diana is like, I was never scared, and she would meet people like at the time. One things she would do is what her grandmother did. She would go and to hold their hands, and you know, I remember that. There's this one moment that just really stuck out to me is the hospital puts on music and all the kids go to the back of the old people's wheelchairs, and they're kind of like dancing with them, pushing them from behind, and she instead goes and faces them from fa face forward. Right, It's like, so she can see them. And what she's really doing when you dance together and look in someone's eyes, is you're showing someone empathy. Right, it's and that is what I am, Princess Diana. The entire book is about empathy and compassion, and my god, right now, as a culture, do we ever need to teach our kids empathy and compassion? We are a culture right now completely divided, and to me, there's always policies we're going to argue about, but what we're seeing now feels like an attack on American values right these and there are shared beliefs by both sides. You can't legislate decency, you can't legislate empathy. But man, we got to teach our kids that. I want my daughter to know, what I want my sons to know, what I want everyone to know. What Diana was taught by her grandmother, which is be freaking decent to people, show them some compassion. And if we don't teach our kids that, we're in bigger trouble than anybody thinks.
Speaker 3: Hey, there's a page in the book, and I'm assuming it's a true story or else you put wouldn't have put it in there. So she moves to London and she's literally on the floor scrubbing the floor.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 3: That's when she got invited to the barbecue where she ends up meeting Prince Charles.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you that? The editor there was like, you don't have to show her on the floor scrubbing. It's like cliche. It seems like it's Cinderella, right, Sorella is like scrubbing, it's real, dude. I was like, this is the crazy She is scrubbing the floor. When she gets invited to the royal party and her friend jokes with her, I didn't even make up the joke that I put in the book. She says, maybe you'll be the next Queen of England and I'm like, while she's I'm like, where are the mice who make her dress?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is missing from this moment? And that's where she meets Prince Charles. Like that in that you know at that weekend, at this it's a separate event, but like and I'm like this store. You can't make it up. And that's why I love the Ordinary People books. Is like you almost feel like life got ripped from these real life headlines and they're all the details are real.
Speaker 3: Hey, can I tell you something that I was really proud of? And I don't know if you fought with anybody over this, like because I mean, ultimately, yes.
Speaker 2: These they're they're family books.
Speaker 3: But these books are for kids, right, These books are to hopefully teach kids lessons and and like you said, to just be a decent human being. Just be a decent human being. I was surprised and you talk about how so she gets married and she will all and charity and all that, you know what. I was surprised and you you go through like the land mines where she's walking through the land mines that she's got like the fatal shield on and the and the the bomb suit and all that other stuff. Fine, I was surprised that you I shouldn't say surprised. I was happy that you addressed everything that she meant to to understanding and and and trying to break down the walls that surround aids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the big one for me. I mean, you know when we do. You know when we did, I'll never forget. It was really when we started with I am Harriet Tubman, You're dealing with slavery, right, And I remember the the editor at the time said to me, well, what are we gonna do? How are we gonna deal with slavery? I'm like, what do you mean? We're gonna show it because that's what history is, right, Because bad things happen doesn't mean we're a bad culture or a bad place. What is beautiful is that we learned from these things and we move forward. And her great to me, greatest moment is the fact that AIDS is, you know, sweeping through cultures. At that time, no one knew. And I remember at the time, my buddy was on the Real World Okay, and I remember it was the first, you know, I went San Francisco. Real World was my college roommate was on it. Pedro who had AIDS, was on the show. I went to visit the house and I remember at the time being like, am I going to get AIDS? Like nobody knew what was going to happen if you touch someone with age, if you it was just too new. And Diana is the one who like he's a man crying who has AIDS and she goes and holds his hand and she wants to and she doesn't know if she should hug them. She's like, no, one knows at that point, and she tells herself that you should do it, you should do it, And she talks about this in her memoir, like she reaches out and squeezes this dying AIDS patient and he squeezes his back and laughing with joy. And she realizes in a moment the power that a hug has and it changes her life. It helps her take care of other people, but it helps her take care of herself. And then she starts telling the whole world like, no, like you need to, we need to hug these people, Love these people, not treat them like they're, you know, disease lepers who are gonna.
Speaker 2: Kill us, all right. And then she does it with.
Speaker 1: Lepers right, like she does it with everybody like And and that to me is I know I can sit here and talk in an interview and say, yes, we should all be compassionate, and yes we should all be nice to each other, but it's completely empty if you don't do it. And what I love about Diana is she does is it over and over again, and that's where she's like at the time, and Diane knows this because she's a Royal watcher, but at the time, you didn't. Royalty didn't do that, no way, and they would they would wave, right, you go to a charity, you waved everybody, and she was like, hug someone and they're like, what's she doing. They're like, oh, she's hugging it, sir. They're like that baby, Yeah, she's hugging it, like you know, like they know what to make of her. And I love the fact that, Like, if you want to teach your kids the power of compassion, it's not by saying go be compassionate. It's you got to tell them a story and show them how someone's life is affected by it. That's how I learned compassion. It's how Diana learns compassion. And I hope with your kids, your grandkids, your nieces, your nephews. It's like that's what I am. Princess Anna. As a book is designed to do, is is arm you with those stories. And I love is then she did it with her own kids, right, like she drags her kids for the homeless shelter and it's a tiny detail, it's almost easy to miss. But she doesn't bring the cameras. She could easily bring cameras to all the stuff she does with her boys and be like, look what we did. Where the best We did the service day and we fed the turkeys, and like we do right now, We've posted on Instagram and everyone knows what a great family you are, and everyone else feels bad about their lives. And instead, what she does is she she doesn't always bring to cameras, and she teaches them that the best good deeds are never seen by anyone. And I was like, that's that, baby, that's the message.
Speaker 3: Hey, can I can I ask you this the the the curiosity question, like whatever could you you go back in all of that that she accomplished and being as compassionate and empathetic and in health and in helping people. I mean, how there's a statement in there where it says her effect on charity is more significant than any other person in the twentieth century.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's not bad. That's not bad.
Speaker 3: But whatever, whatever, whatever became of her parents, whatever became a Princess Diana's parents.
Speaker 1: It's a good question. I mean, obviously they're dead. I know that, but like I don't, you know, I don't like, let's put it this way. There is no part in the in the in the biography where she's like and then we all they love me again, and everything was great. I mean, you know, she her parents get divorced. It's a disaster because it's a time when divorces. They don't even know what to do with it.
Speaker 3: Right, very taboo, especially in that Achalon of the world.
Speaker 1: Of course, Like you know, like and one of the things we did in the book is try to you know, there they are kids, they're going to read I am Princess Diana who is struggling with divorce, right, and I was like, I need to make sure they understand. And she says it like your parents still love you, but back then no one explained that to her, right, And so you know her her mom moves out her she's living in the Giant castle with her dad. Again. It's like this, it's out of a Disney movie, right. It's like it's like you're one step away from Tangled and Long Hair at that point, you know, where you're just like locked in the thing and you've got everything, but you got nothing, but it's a good question.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Also one other thing in the past, Like I think back to I am Lucille Ball right when you did that book and when he came out, or when you did I Am mister Rogers, and that book came out, and you would dress up and post pictures of yourself on Instagram dressed as mister.
Speaker 2: Rogers or as Lucille Ball.
Speaker 3: Why not dressed up as Princess Diana on Instagram?
Speaker 1: First of all, I'm wearing a crown. That is my dress up. And I have to tell you this is this is why I love you. There was an entire debate in my house of what I should wear to dress up as per Diana. And my wife is like, you're not wearing my wedding dress.
Speaker 2: Like she was like, you're not.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want me to break it. And then I was like, cause, listen, I dress up as Lucille Ball. I'm dressed up as like whatever, like the Beatles. I did all four Beatles, I got all the Sergeant Pepper cop I bought four costumes for Instagram, and I thought about it, and then I thought, to make sure my readers don't go blind. I will spare them from me in the in the chifon, in the chiffon dress. But I did wear a crown. And by the way, for the most part, most of the things you see, this is the sad truth. Most of the times I dress up, I don't have to buy anything. We've got everything in my house. Like I had that red sweater, I didn't have to buy. I bought the hair. I didn't have to buy the sweater. Like I have so much Halloween nonsense. I have full kiss costumes if I want to dress up as a band kids, like I got purple rain from Prince Like I've got it all. And when I tell you, it wasn't like, oh, like here you should wear a crown, It was what crown you do? You want to wear? And it was an entire try on crowns in my house because my daughter went through the princess face. I have about a thousand crowns here.
Speaker 3: By the way, I will say this, the Chris Eliopolis, the illustrator, the drawing guy, the drawing guy.
Speaker 2: That's nice, the I love drawing guy.
Speaker 3: I loved that she like you only know her even before, like like in the book of her meeting Prince Charles are becoming a princess.
Speaker 2: I loved that from the time she was itty bitty.
Speaker 3: Chris draws her with a crown, but she's always that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that you know, in the beginning, when we first did these books as kids books, people were like, we got bat reviews that said, you know, Abraham Lincoln and Amelia Ahard has drown as kids, and they historically get it inaccurate because they show them flying planes and being president as children. And I'm like, we weren't fooled by that part. We didn't know that they weren't. We know that Abraham Lincoln wasn't eight when he was elected president. But like the people that they give a historical book to review in like the in the stuffy you know, review places like just couldn't get it. And now everyone realizes the best I still believe and Chris is our secret weapon. You know how many books have been written about Princess di or Abraham Lincoln or Rosa Parks like. But the reason why people love and kids love our books is because of Chris's art. And it's not because I'm my right and I have nothing to do with it. It's Chris's art is so great. It's like this cross between Charlie Brown, Meads, Calvin, and Hobbes. And he draws them always as little kids. And why because then kids look at these these heroes and say, oh, they're just like me, right, And there's someone out there who looks at Princess Anna it's like, she's just like me, whereas you. And if you show them an adult, then it's just an old, boring history book. But you show them as a kid. And my own daughter was one who helped me crack this. She was like, now I'm interested, Like, tell me when she's little again, tell me that story. And so Chris by far is the greatest secret weapon we have in these books.
Speaker 3: Princess Diana's out and available today. Ordinary People change the world. It's part of that series. Obviously, The Viper is still out and available and still new.
Speaker 2: Brad, I appreciate the time. As always, my friend, I love you,