Speaker 1: Wow, this is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Pay Corps. Pay Corps proud to be the.
Speaker 1: Official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering how best care for the best fans. Kettering Hell official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get it going. If it's Monday night, it must be Bengals Line. And that's three hours of Bengals conversation about to unfold. Welcome into Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network, Lance Pacalister along with Dave Lapham. We have a game at lambeau Field to break down from yesterday. We've got a quick turnaround Thursday night look ahead to those Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 4: So let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Dave, going in, there was no question the Bengals were going to be up against it. They were on the road against a good Packers team, a crazy crash course for Joe Flacco. I think everybody was looking for signs of something to build with. First half was then in the second half, the wheels started to turn a little bit and while the comeback fall short. I think it leads everybody thinking, all right, there might be something here to work with going into Thursday night.
Speaker 4: I agree with you, Lance, I think Joe Flacco quitted himself quite well. You know, I mean, he's a pros pro in every sense of the word. He prepares like a pro. He conducts the huddle, he gets the line of scrimmage, and you know, identifies things, sees things that like a guy that's been in the league for a while, and he'd been in the league for a while forty years old. That's just remarkable to me. That is hard for me to get my mind around a forty year old quarterback. That's amazing. And you look at it and he's the huddle looking the guys that I remember seeing you when I was in elementary school. You played a hell of the game, you know, against the Pittsburgh Steelers, And so it's probably a very surreal experience for a lot of people on both sides of it. You know, Dan Pitcher's not that old. His offensive coordinator, I mean, his position coach is not all it's like, yeah, it's he's uh, he's but he's been through that multiple times. He's been through that before. There's there's no doubt about it. And I thought, honestly, the offense played decently. I I really thought that, uh was it good enough to win in some cases against some teams, but not this football team Green Bay Packers up there at lambeau Field at home, a very raucous place. I mean, the crowd was into it, There's no question about it. A lot of Bengals fans give them a lot of credit. They did drive north Man, a lot of them traveled, and uh, and they showed up chance. You could hear the team, no doubt, tea wash the t uh, the t chants were everywhere.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was boisterous. Uh, there's no question about it. And I thought that, Uh, the inconsistency of the play was the big thing. You know, first quarter defense plays pretty well. Offense doesn't show up, second quarter total of the opposite, third quarter at flips, fourth quarter at flips again. So the inconsistency of it, and and uh, you know, in the NFL you want to play a delete game, and if one a phase of it, one side of it, the offensive struggling defense needs to step up and vice versa. And you know you did that decently, But man, I just I just think that the inconsistent part of it is there's so much meat on the bone on both sides of the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven to eighteen. The final score here is immediate reaction after the game, Dave with the coach, Zach Taylor.
Speaker 4: Coach, appreciate you taking the time to join us out at the game as you always do your class act.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, boss.
Speaker 8: Again, It's it's hard when you come in here expect to win and you come up short. We just got to put together a full team after both has and weren't able to do that today.
Speaker 4: I thought that your quarterbacks, he's a special obviously forty year old guy eighteen years in the league to still be competing the way he competes, he's obviously a special guy in a lot of ways.
Speaker 6: What did he give you today? Yeah, he gave us a.
Speaker 8: Lot of confidence. I mean he made some big time throws, tight windows, able to lead us on several scoring drives there at the end of the half, potentially piggybacked into the second half, got us in scoring zones on ever drive, and I think that really lifted the team. Up and again it's unfortunate. We're all looking for constellations or silver linings. But the truth of it is he got here five days ago and to play like that on the road, silent cadence, all the noise, great pass rushers. You know, that's something we're going to continue to piggyback on and it'll pay dippendence for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just went through a good laundry list of what he was facing. It is remarkable how well he did play, to go on a scoring drive every drive in the second half of this football game against that defense, very solid unit. They have players everywhere and the fans making all the noise that are making. You know, like you said, I had to go silent. Snap count of what does it say about him?
Speaker 9: It says a lot.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's he worked to put himself in that position. He didn't come in here and assume he was gonna know it all. He really worked and you could see even the stuff behind the scenes, how much he had to have done. Because when he walked into a meeting, he walked into a huddle, he was prepared, He gave the guest confidence, he said it all cleanly, and when he got a quarterback that just walks in and says that as clean as he does. It gives us guy's confidence, hope, believe this guy knows what he's doing. And he showed that, you know, and we'll continue to capitalize on that.
Speaker 4: When did you as a coaching staff realize that, I mean, obviously he's special, but when did you realize you had something that was pretty darn unique to work with?
Speaker 8: Well, I think you just watch him throw, you watch him to the football. He's capable of doing it all. And so again you get a chance to attack all parts of the field. And I thought our protection for the most part, did a good job giving him some opportunities. He got the bottle of his hand what he needed to avoid some some pressure looks. I mean, these people have teed off on people now and put a lot of pressure on quarterbacks, and I thought our redline give him a chance to make the decisions he.
Speaker 5: Needed to make.
Speaker 4: Parsons Gary, no sacks, You have no turnovers, no interceptions, no fumbles. This has a lot of come on the road a place like this with the crowd, noise and everything you're dealing with.
Speaker 8: Yeah, three penalties as well, you know, and I think the field position. When you look at the field position battle and reallys sess it, I don't think we did well enough there. And then that's the key is you're going to reflect back on how much of a difference that might have made for us if we've done a better job there. But we took care of the football. We're always trying to be plus two in that battle. So we only got one off of them three penalties. So I thought our guys were disciplined on the road in a tough environment. And so again there's things to build on. But we don't expect to come in anywhere and lose, and we're going to continue to find ways to get in that winning calumn, build some confidence, build some momentum. We're right in the think of the division right now, with a perfect opportunity to ar right in front of us this Thursday night against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: No question about a coach.
Speaker 4: Thanks for your time, appreciate everything you do for the city, your team, and the fans.
Speaker 3: Awesome thank you Zach after the game, and I think Dave to me one of the big things in terms of reasons for optimism, you could argue the three touchdowns last week against Detroit. Detroit had the big they were banged up in the secondary, they just wanted to get out of there, and there were some garbage time touchdowns. So that was debate of how real that really was. Obviously the coaches didn't think it was real. From what Jake was able to do this week in the second half felt more real. That's seven the seventeen play drive, the way that the fourth down conversions twice for touchdowns, that felt real, tangible stuff that you could be carried over going forward with the offense.
Speaker 4: I agree. I agree with you. You know, there were a lot of things to build on, a lot of things that they that they did well. Obviously, you've got your foundational players. They're not going to go away. We talked about t the fans chanting tea. He made some big plays, big catches. Jamar Chase was I thought spectacular in ten catches ninety seven yards. I think it was in a touchdown. He made some unbelievable catches. Some of those like, how the hell do you do that? How did he do that? So he's he's in my mind, the best in the league, and he continues to play that way. I think the frustration level in the locker room was palatable. A lot of guys were, you know, man, this is not what we expected. We thought we'd be off to a much better start, you know, and win the first two games. Zach Taylor had never done that before as a head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals. But since then, it's sputtered and stuttered. There's no question the motor is uh is leaking oil and uh, it's it's it's just the performance again, is just not consistent enough in all three phases.
Speaker 3: I've never final thought. Before we hear from Joe Flack on our next segment, I've never scripted an offensive game plan, of course, but my suggestion would be to scrap the Jets sweep on the first play of the game from my from my game planning aner.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, when you think about it, all the things they could have done with Joe Flacco, you know, uh and and okay, let's get I think the biggest problem they have is they got no running game, no consistency in the in the running game. I mean that that part of it is. I mean, it's the average I think three point four per carry it. It was atrocious and sixteen carries fifty five big yards three point four per carry. Chase Brown had forty two of them. Longest rush of the day thirteen yards. I mean they couldn't get out of the wrong way in the running game, and I think that is the thing that they need to get corrected and corrected quickly. That warm has to turn right.
Speaker 3: Now we are up and running. We've got plenty to get to over the course of these three hours. Up next, we'll hear from Joe Cool Joe Flacco as we continue on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Back out on this Monday night of Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW im Lance Pacalister. He is Dave Lapham, sorting through yesterday at lambeau Field, looking ahead to Thursday night at a showdown against those Pittsburgh Steelers. Joe Flacco yesterday twenty nine of forty five, two hundred and nineteen yards, two touchdow down's, no interceptions. He was sacked once. Quarterback rating of ninety point nine. Here's the QB with Dave after the game.
Speaker 4: Joe, I guess first, first question, I guess the simplest question, how do you feel? How do you think you played?
Speaker 6: Feel well?
Speaker 10: I think I I think I settled in a little bit. I think as an offense, we settled in a little bit, probably sometime in the second quarter, and came out and played a good second half. But yeah, it's always disappointing when you come up short.
Speaker 4: So you played them what three weeks ago? I guess it was. Did you see anything different? Were they running the same things or the same personnel grouping a little on their stuff?
Speaker 6: I think they obviously pay a little bit close.
Speaker 10: Attention to our receivers, you know, so they find different ways to do that, but ultimately they run their defense.
Speaker 4: So when you say different ways to pay attention to your receivers, different different coverages, different leverages.
Speaker 10: Of the year, they were where they were making sure seven was shading towards them at times, you know, things like that.
Speaker 4: So with this under your belt, I mean, I thought you played hell of a football game considering the circumstances. I've never seen this before. I've never seen anybody do what you did. Do you have you ever heard of anybody doing what you did?
Speaker 10: Listen, I don't think there's anything in this league, that hasn't necessarily that hasn't been done. So I'm sure there's something out there similar to this, but yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Not, but that's for sure. And I thought you played at an exceptionally high level. I thought you played a winning football I really do. No turnovers, no turnovers in the football game, no interceptions, no fumbles lost. I think that's huge.
Speaker 10: When you do those things, you obviously give yourself a chance, you know, come, you know, down the stretch.
Speaker 6: And obviously they're a good football team.
Speaker 10: And we didn't necessarily start the way we wanted to, but I do think we were able to settle in and let the game come to us, and and it did in a way. You know, we were sitting there twenty four eighteen, you know, and against the good football team and starting the way we did that. That's this league. It comes down to the last four minutes pretty much every game you play in. And I think we gave ourselves a chance and we just weren't.
Speaker 6: Able to do enough to to kind of get over.
Speaker 4: The home parsons Gary. I think I they got some relatious pass rushers on the edge and inside as well, and you guys, you guys contained at all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we did a pretty good job.
Speaker 10: Anytime you go against those guys, you know you're gonna for a tough one, but you got to give it the guys up front, and then not only the guys.
Speaker 6: Up front give them, but you got to give it to the tight.
Speaker 10: Ends, the running backs for the way they were able to help. I thought they did a great job.
Speaker 3: Joe Flacco after the game at Davebead I told you going in Joe in that much of a crash course learning of the offense would would produce a game with no turnovers and only be sacked one time. Everybody would have signed up for that, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 4: I mean those numbers, particularly the the no turnovers, I mean not giving the football up one time, not not throwing away possessions. Usually you win those football games and you and you win them handily. And the Bengals didn't get that done obviously, so I thought that part of it. Joe Flacco is turnover adverse. I mean, there's no doubt about that. He wants to make sure that he's not reason his football team loses the football game. Although you know all the fans will look at it and beyond the quarterback stock. You know, everybody's stock. Blah blah blah. Quarterback takes too much heat when things go poorly, and maybe sometimes not enough credit when it goes well. But he knows that he understands the game. He's been in the game for a long time and he knows the quarterback positions. A has a different cachet and people look at it a lot differently. It's probably the most interesting position in all of sports, the way gets credit and blame and the way that that's handed out.
Speaker 3: We were talking before the show. I was struck by his comments Thursday with the media when he met for the first time, and not the x's and O stuff, but more just how reflective he is on where he is in his life right now at forty and still loving the game of football and wanting to play it as long as he can and the rest of his life will come when it comes. But they're just something and in watching him, even in the pregame and during the game yesterday, there's something very stoic and calm about him, like icy, like what do you know that I don't know?
Speaker 4: The way he's looking at you.
Speaker 3: But that comes with that, with with forty years in life and experience. There there's a common understanding of everything compared to when you're twenty or twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think. I mean he's so stoic, you know, he never changed his expression like we were talking about, you know, off the air, and I think that that's a good thing, honestly, you know. And he puts so much into this football game studying. I mean, it was unbelievable the number of hours that he was studying the game plan and the playbook with his wife. I mean even when they were driving down from Cleveland. You know, they're in a car and they have a driver that the Bengals provided and another driver drove their car to Cincinnati. But I mean he's he's studying, and she's grilling them. She's asking him questions, and.
Speaker 3: She's giving him a play and he's reciting.
Speaker 4: And for you know, give me the formation. I'll give you the play, and give me the play and I'll give you the formation and any attachments to it motion, anything that goes on there. So I mean it's the family. The Flacco family committed themselves to trying to make the first start that Joe Flacco had as a Cincinnati Bengals successful one, and I think if the defense and special teams had held up a little bit better, I think Joe Flacco would have had a win in Game one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of all the things we talked about going in, you had you been told no turnovers, only one sack, you would have taken it. Had somebody said, going in on a short week, learning the offense, learning his teammates' names, Joe Flacco is going to be asked to throw it forty five times, I would have said, well, there's no way you don't ask him to do that. Drops back forty six times.
Speaker 4: On the day. Unbelievable, twenty nine completions, forty five attempts, two hundred and nineteen yards, two touchdowns, no picks, Like you said, quarterback rating of over ninety ninety point nine, almost ninety one. The thing is, only sixteen times they rushed the football. Chase Brown's the leading ball carrier, nine rush attempts. They didn't have a ball carry that carried it double digits in terms of attempts. You know, I mean, that's that's just not gonna get it done. That's not gonna cut it, that's not gonna You're not probing enough. You're not finding out, you know, soft spots in the defense that you might be able to take advantage of. Chase Brown average four point seven per lug and along of thirteen excuse me, thirteen yards. But I mean, like I was saying, sixteen runs forty five passes. That's an imbalance. You know, any any game that Joe Flacco's playing in, if he has to go back, drop back, in the pocket, and he is a pocket passer, he's not a mobile guy. He'll be the first to amit that. And particularly at forty years old. You know, he wasn't mobile when he was twenty five. At forty years old, he's definitely not mobile. So to make him throw the football forty five times in his first game with the team on the road at Lambeau, that is historic and just the fan base is going nuts. I mean, that's a tough task, order man.
Speaker 3: I also liked final thought. There were times where it was obvious he knew the play was going nowhere, and rather than try to create something and maybe make a mistake, throw it away, throw it away, throw it in the ground. Just move on to the next play. That one's not working. Let's just move to the next one. And that's something that with the experience. It comes along with the experience.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you know, experience tells him that you don't put the ball on jeopardy. He's had good coaching, I think in that regard, probably maybe all the way back to high school, high school, college and in the NFL. It's like, you know, do not give them extra possessions. Don't take possessions away from us and give them to the opposition. That's a no no.
Speaker 3: We're rolling on this Monday night. We'll go to the offensive line next here from Orlando Brown on Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. We keep rolling along on this Monday night of Bengals Line. We do it on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: I'm Lance Pactalist. You're doing it with Dave Lepham and Lance Kettering. Health the injury report and always hate doing injuries, man. You don't like talking about guys that got hurt during the course of the football game, particularly if they're gonna be out for an extended period of time. But it doesn't seem like other than GASICKI, who you know, had that pectoral injury. Those can be tricky. You know, there's a big pectoral muscle and then minor muscles that support that bigger muscle. So depending on what muscle it was, which one, how serious the injury is. And you know when they say a polled pectoral, that's by definition of bullet is for a second third degree tear. Hopefully it's not torn, but if there's a depending on the degree of the of the muscle pull, you know, it might be a little bit of time. Particularly with the receiver. You know, it's like we get the hands up over the head and catch the football periodically and not hopefully not all the time. But and that injury report, I think everybody else most hands on deck. The offensive line was beating up a little bit going into this football game, and hopefully they're gonna lick their wounds collectively. And more people on the football field and more options for the offensive line coach and head coach to consider and contemplate. And it's all presented by Kettering Health, the official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals, providing the best care for the best fans.
Speaker 3: Wow, we're speaking offensive line. Let's go up front. Here's Dan with Orlando Brown Junior.
Speaker 9: What did Joe show you in the second half?
Speaker 11: Oh, man, I mean just who he's been for the last eighteen years. A tough player that's going to stay. Of course, you know that's who he is. And and you know, he just got here a week ago, you know, I mean barely that, I guess, and it's able to come out here and call the game like he did and show up when we needed a most I mean pass off to him.
Speaker 9: It looked like his comfort level grew as the game went along. Was it like that in the huddle?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, And you know, to be honest, I feel like he was comfortable early, just just getting settled down and being himself.
Speaker 5: And you know, as he gets more.
Speaker 11: Time with you know, coach Pitch and coach Taylor, I mean, sky's the limit.
Speaker 9: The way they I performed in the second half. Does it give you growing confidence that going home for three straight home games, you guys can go on a run?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, no, man, I mean we're close.
Speaker 11: We're not close enough who we are close, And you know, we got to figure out a way as a team to finish, to start faster and be a more effective early man and a lot of these games that we've been in. It won't be dogfights in the fourth quarter. We'll be playing four minute offense.
Speaker 9: Is there something you can put your finger on for the first half and why the first half struggles have happened?
Speaker 11: Uh, to watch the film, But you know it always comes down to finish an execution.
Speaker 5: Man. You know it's on us as players to do that.
Speaker 9: Jamar Chase ten catches an incredible touchdown catch. At the end of the game. T had five catches as well. It looked like Joe did a great job of saying, all right, we've got two of the best in the league, let's get him the ball.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 11: And I mean honestly, if I was at quarterback, I'll take the same approach.
Speaker 9: So all right, what are your feelings with a quick turnaround and a huge game coming up against the division rival on Thursday?
Speaker 11: Excited to be home, you know what I mean? So you got a divisional opponent, let's take care of biness.
Speaker 9: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Rolando Orlando Brown Junior. After the game, Dave, is it fair to say, based on what you saw first half into the second half? Did the does the arrow point up for how the offensive line kind of came along with Joe Flacco and was better in the second half.
Speaker 4: I think so, I think so Lance, you know, and people are like, oh, yeah, come on, you know, you're looking for excuses, You're you know, you're getting too picky you in here. But familiarity with his cadence, with how he identifies players or in opposition players I'm talking about with respect to fronts, how they're aligned, any adjustments that they might make in that alignment. And then also, you know, learning the language. I mean, you know, you can't if in fact, he does stumble on something from a formational standpoint and calls it something else, because where.
Speaker 3: He's been replacing, everybody's looking like, yeah, what play is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, don't don't you know, don't get your panties in a bunch of man, you know, don't you know, don't don't get all wang chunged about it, because it'll it'll work itself out. And like I said, I thought, I thought he was not their biggest problem by far. I thought the offensive line in fact, was a bigger problem for him and for the outcome of the football game. Uh than than uh than Joe Flacco's play.
Speaker 3: We talked last week about the offensive line and cohesiveness and playing together, and in another shuffle this week, Dylan Fairchild is out, so Reisner has to go over to the left side, and there's just that's that's a real thing. That's just the reality of when the pieces are moving around, it's tough to get settled in use.
Speaker 4: To everything exactly. I mean getting used to is a good term. And you know, you get used to the guy next to you. And you know, when you when you played next to a guy for a long period of time, a year or multiple years, uh, you know, it's like rolling out of bed in the morning. You know exactly what to expect. You know, it's like you go through the same routine and your practice preparations the same on a week to week up based and you know there's no uh, no monkey wrenches as such. They're still in the infancy stages of getting to know each other in terms of, uh play on the football field and individually, I mean the kind of people they are, the kind of guys they are. Who likes what, who doesn't like what? Who likes to make a call in a critical situation? What does he usually what's his go to call, what does he like to stay away from in those instances as well. So there's a lot to learn, and uh, there's a lot of cohesion that has to go on up front, and they're in the process of trying to get that done.
Speaker 3: I think you brought up a great point earlier in this segment that is probably not talked about or understood enough, and that's the difference in cadence, Kenny Anderson's cadence to Turk Schoeder to Buby's sias and there there is something to that. It's just not calling the play there. There's inflection there. I mean, that's that's a thing exactly.
Speaker 4: Voice inflection pauses, you know, just even the sound of the voice. Yeah, you're used to hearing something for a long perioderiod of time, and what's that you know, that's a little bit different. And then for Joe have to again we're talking about a lot of times the same the same point, but Lambeau to have to go up there. Yeah, your first game with all new players, new coaches, knew everything, and you're in Lambeau having to communicate. That's one of the tougher places to communicate in all of football, high school, college, or the National Football League. So Joe Flacco had himself some serious challenges yesterday for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, Micah Parsons was a big storyline going into the game. He wound up with three tackles. He's not registered as a as a quarterback hit or certainly a sack in the game book. But I think his his he made his presence felt. But he certainly didn't dominate, takeover or wreck the game.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly exactly. And you know the two things that you hit on. He didn't take the game over. It wasn't like oh Man, Parsons again at him pretty well, and you know, tried to get him to anchor himself a little bit if you could. That's I think that's the key to success against him or any great pass rusher. If you show you can run the ball right at him and make him concern himself with that, everything else falls into place quite easily.
Speaker 3: Let's talk some defense when we come back. DJ Turner, nice game, the DJ Turner game yesterday. More on that you'll hear from him as we continue. It's Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey we continue on this Monday night talking everything there is to talk about related to the Bengals from yesterday against the Packers the Thursday night against those Pittsburgh Steelers. The show is Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network. Thanks for hanging out with us tonight. We've talked to offense. Let's get back on the other side of the defensive side of things for the Bengals yesterday. And what a performance by DJ Turner. I think five pass breakups. Officially the credit to DJ Turner here is Dan Horde with.
Speaker 9: Dj DJ five passes deflected today, including one that turned into an interception. What'd you think of your performs?
Speaker 12: I think that had a good game. It was a good game, all right.
Speaker 9: Joe Flacco in his first game in a Bengals uniform, seemed like he got more and more comfortable as the game went along.
Speaker 13: Did you sense that, No, for sure, he definitely second half, definitely got comfortable, gone to a groove, and you know it was noticeable for everybody.
Speaker 9: Poor feeling. Does that give you, guys in terms of confidence with Joe quarterback going forward?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 12: Like I said, we know we lost, but it's okay.
Speaker 13: You know, we want to stay together, keep building, keep stacking, and you know, the offense, they build up momentum going to the week.
Speaker 9: So you're not so good that defensive performance today. It seemed like he got them into some long third downs and they would make a few backbreaking plays. Is that Is that really what kind of hurts from a defensive perspective today?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we gotta go up to the field, you know.
Speaker 13: But like I said, we want to keep on stacking and you know, stay together.
Speaker 12: That's what we're gonna do. And you know, but like I said, it is definitely we gotta go out the field.
Speaker 9: Kept a big game on Thursday against the Steelers, and it's the start of a three game Homestand is this the opportunity to get right back into the hunt.
Speaker 13: Not for sure, definitely looking forward to it. For the most part, we got out healthy, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 9: And you know, yeah, I'm going to go back to where I started with your performance. Did you feel like it was one of your better games? I mean, five pass deflections in a game don't happen very often.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, as made the play as I came to me.
Speaker 13: That's really the biggest thing I had this week or this game was whenever I had episode, I just made to play on it.
Speaker 9: I appreciate your time, Thank you.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a career day for DJ Turner, and you gotta love Dave the fact that he's twenty four years old. He's a third year here. If this defense is going to get where it wants to go, it needs young guys to continue to develop and make plays.
Speaker 4: And that was a big day from DJ Turner. It really was. I mean, when you think about it, last getting your hand on the football five times, I mean breaking passes up. You know a lot of times interceptions come on tips. Geno Stones interception came on a chip, and you know, and when the ball is you know, airborne and fluttering around, it's anybody's football. So Al Golden, I'm sure was pleased as punch with the game the DJ Turner turned in for him, There's no question about it. And he wants more of that. He wants even more than he got from the DJ Turner and others. And I think the offensive line had trouble establishing the running game, and I thought the defensive line had some difficulties stopping the run. I mean, the Green Bay Packers thirty three times they ran the football, are you kidding? Thirty three times one hundred and fifty three yards four point six per They rushed for two touchdowns, both of them were courtesy of Josh Jacobs. Eighteen rushes ninety three yards. I mean he came within a carry of one hundred yard day over five yards per sixteen long. I mean, if the Bengals don't get better upfront in terms of running the football and stopping the run, it's going to be a long, long year.
Speaker 3: And to those rush attempts by the Packers and it holds. It was basically in line with their season. We talked about it last week. They run at thirty three, they threw it twenty six going into the game. It was right about exactly even passes and rushes. Last year, for the first time in twenty two years, they ran it more than they passed it. That's just what Matt Lafleur has settled on with asking Jordan Loved to do this and asking the running game to do this, and you put it on the scale and it's it's pretty much balanced.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Matt Lafleur, even though he's a younger coach, he's old school man. He believes in having a balanced attack, you know, running the football. Yeah, in his mind it's a fifty to fifty proposition. You run the ball half the time you throw the ball the other half. You know, in the running game. In his mindset, when he does game planning takes priority because he likes to run the ball. In his passing game, he likes play action pass. So you can't play action pass. It's useless to you know, fake a run to a running back when you haven't gotten anything established. I mean, nobody respects it. Everybody's dropping back in the coverage right away, so they, you know, Lafleur knows for his offense to click, he's got to get that running game going.
Speaker 3: First, take a time out, head down the stretch. We are cruising through our first hour, first of three tonight.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. All right, and down the stretch. About to put our number one in the books. Tonight, We've got three big hours to unfold, talking Bengals. What happened yesterday at Lambeau, What could happen Thursday night at pay Corps when the Bengals take on those Pittsburgh Steelers. It's Bengals line on the Bengals Radio Network Liance Bacallister, Dave Lapham, Dave Let's circle back around to the defense. And one injury to keep an eye on on that side of the ball is Trey Hendrickson goes out in with the back injury. We don't see him for the second half. And you know, Trey, he may get dinged and leaf for a play, but Trey goes back in like mad man. The fact he didn't for the entire second half leaves me a little bit concerned with a back for a quick turnaround on Thursday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and back injuries they can be dicey man, I mean they really can. It's like, all right, well, is it a spinal column issue? Is it vertebrae? What do we have going here? You know? And for him to, like you said, in a very important football game, for him to miss the whole second half, that's significant. And he looked like he was flying back okay, fairly comfortably. Didn't look like he had any any issues going on there in terms of like a brace or a heating pad and that type of that type of paraphernalia that that you're gonna have to deal with if you do have a serious back injury. But again, back injury you just don't mess with. You make sure if he does have to take a week'd be painful. You know, I know he probably definitely wants to play again to Pittsburgh Steelers, a big division rival, and uh, he loves sacking the quarterback against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin. There's no question about that. And like we were talking about on the air and off the year, he is playing the run one thousand better.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no plasure and you know that what of the knocks against him this offseason? When the debate was do the Bengals pay trade to let go? Some argued, al, he's two one dimensional. If you look he's even going back to last year, he's become much better and much more well rounded as a player.
Speaker 4: For past stand I agree, he's a complete football player, you know. I mean he gives you, He gives you a production and tremendous effort in both areas against the pass and the run, and coaches very much appreciate that. You know, if they know on a weekly basis, a week in and week out, that this guy's gonna be son Wood and he's going to be doing this and he's gonna take pride in his profession, which there's no doubt that Trey Henderson does that. I mean, he's an extremely prideful football player. And so you know, I think I think he'll be back sooner rather than later.
Speaker 3: The big boost would come with whether Trake returns or not. If they could get Shamar Stewart back on Thursday night, and I think it's been four weeks now with the ankle to get him back and and then ask more of Miles Murphy, whether trades they or not. They need they need more from Murphy and they could really use Shamar Stewart back absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean they need more productivity from the group. You know, a synergistic effect one plus one equals three. You know, had another one at equals five instead of four. You know, it's like Shamar Stewart that that. You know, ankle issues and foot issues can be hugely problematic. I mean it's like you get a big body and gravity's taken all that weight you know, down to the to the ankle and feet, and uh, sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate. You know, it's it's like when you know, what do you what do you doing to me? So hopefully he's been real good about his therapy, his treatments and all that, starting to practice, started to do some things on the field. Hopefully that that graft continues to go up.
Speaker 3: You know, while we're talking injuries, and you mentioned Mike Sicky in the last segment, while he was injured, Tanner Hudson took advantage of an opportunity yesterday really nice gave He had four his first four catches of the season on five targets. And when I saw four on five targets, I remember back to last year. It seemed like every single time they threw it to Tanner Hudson, he caught it. And I looked it up and they threw it to him twenty three times last year he caught it nineteen. He's a guy you can count on who hasn't really he's been more flying around on the periphery and entered the picture.
Speaker 4: Yesterday he did. He had a touchdown catch, you know, and yeah, he's one of those guys that he didn't have huge production in terms of yards. Four catches for ten yards, so you know nothing right home about there. Eight of them came on on one reception, so he had a bunch of you know, little conversions third down conversion, third and one get him. The football move to change one touchdown catch was short yardage variety. Uh and so. But the thing, the thing that all quarterbacks love about him. Joe Burrow has talked about it to me more than once, and I think Joe Flacco after the game was talking about it as well, that he is exactly where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there. He is one of the most reliable guys in that regard on the football team. And quarterbacks, believe me, they love that big time.
Speaker 3: The defensive line back to talking about Trey Hendrickson and Miles Murphy and Shamar Stewart, there were just that there were moments where a mistackle or a leak through it just opened up the damn and it just you just you just needed that to be more.
Speaker 4: Than it than it was yesterday. That's that was a topic of conversation on the flight home. The miss tackles. I mean, there was a lot of buzz.
Speaker 3: Man, I can't imagine what the number is going to be when it comes to do it, I was gonna say, it's gotta be double.
Speaker 4: Do I agree with you? I mean, and uh, the players were talking about it amongst themselves. The coaches or defensive coaches were talking about it. The players and defensive coaches were we're talking about it, and uh, you know when they when they basically were handing out the computers, you know, to watch the video of the of the game that that was. That was a big topic of conversation. That was one of the most uh, one of their poor tackling performances of the season for sure.
Speaker 3: One hour done to our next the second hour headlined by Jimar Chase. We'll also hear from Evan McPherson and so much more. Thanks for being with us tonight. It's Bengals Line of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Pay Corps. Pay Corps pro to.
Speaker 1: Be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals, Cantering out Best Care for the Best fan kettering Out official healthcare provider of us Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Bengals Line on this Monday night on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW. I'm Lance Pacallister. He's Dave Blapham.
Speaker 4: Dave. Let's start this drive with a car. Let's do it to it. Hey, Bengals fans. Shop the Bengals Pro Shop. I'm the best selection of Bengal merchandise anywhere. This is the Pro Shop, seven days a week, located on the north side of pay Court Stadium, or shop online at Bengals dot com.
Speaker 3: Jamar Chase yesterday targeted twelve times. He had ten receptions, ninety four yards a log of nineteen. It was a big one on fourth down. It was for a touchdown. Joe Danaman Fox nineteen asked Jamar about the rhythm and getting in line and on the same page with Joe Flacco and what it was like. Here's Jamar Chase.
Speaker 14: Did it start to develop in I think a lot of us were curious, Jamar, to see what your chemistry would look like with Joe. Did it start to develop and grow in the second half?
Speaker 15: Do you think, uh, yeah, and no, I mean we all we all tryna figure out what what we could what we what we can get, what we could get to, how we get the player play, make us a ball? How much time Joe has to get the ball all his hands. We were tryna figure it out all in that first two possessions, but you know it, it was too late when we found out.
Speaker 8: You're two and four, you got a big game against Pittsburgh on Thursday, and you have a new quarterback.
Speaker 4: How how do you feel about this.
Speaker 9: Team right now?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 15: I think we're in a good position right now. I think we answered the bell today and just getting ourselves back on more mintum on how we wanna attack the offense and be and be a prolific offense. Second half, shoulder, but first half we gotta do better. And you know, next game we gotta start off like second half.
Speaker 14: Can you describe how you made the play you made on your touchdown catch?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 12: Just attacking the ball, you know the ball?
Speaker 5: He shoulder to me.
Speaker 15: DB's were a handsy all day, so he made sure that you know, I I came back to the ball and you know, try you need to draw the uh, the flag drawn to make contested catch up.
Speaker 14: One thing we've seen from Joe when he's out his best. You can really push the ball down the field. Is that the next part of the chemistry going forward? You start pushing it down the fields.
Speaker 15: We we're still building, y, We we can't. We can't do everything off top, but we're still building right now and we're only gonna get.
Speaker 12: Better from here.
Speaker 15: It's just still the first game and it's more games for us to go.
Speaker 14: Or there were so many guys in this room who are used to winning. When you lose four in a row, how are you handling.
Speaker 15: Its adversity right now?
Speaker 5: But you know.
Speaker 15: What's gonna happen at the end of the day will be we can't. You can't sit here in power. Gotta go back to work. You gotta gotta fast. We be coming up against against the stealers, so you gotta look at the film, do corrections, find out what we like best with Joe at quarterback, and move on.
Speaker 14: Zach keeps saying he feels like you guys are close. He feels like you guys are very much still in this. You're shaking your head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you agree with him?
Speaker 5: Yeah percent? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why so?
Speaker 15: I mean that's the most it's the most probably offensive yards and rushing yards we had for a little minute, and it is Joe's first game, and we left a lot out there. We didn't really leave a lot out there, but we made a lot of plays. We could have had more out there.
Speaker 3: Jamar Chase after the game with the media, thanks to Joe Daneman for passing along from Fox nineteen and and man the telepathic wave between the two. Jamar Chase even said there were moments where he told Joe, based on the coverage he saw change the play here, and they created stuff on their own, which, as Jamar pointed out, he had twelve reps with Joe.
Speaker 4: Flaccoy practiced last week because he was sick.
Speaker 3: But the fact that they had the confidence to get on a page together and make things happen showed me something yesterday.
Speaker 4: No doubt. I mean twelve reps during the week, that's crazy, and then twelve targets in the game, targeting as many times in the game as he threw to him the entire week. But you got two Pro Bowl guys, you know, multiple time Pro Bowl guys. So they take great pride in their knowledge of the game of football and their ability to take that knowledge and execute physically. And they both have extreme talents from a physical standpoint, I mean Flacco's big talent is his arm strength. I mean he can spin it, he can rifle the football. He's got a rocket hanging off of that right shoulder. And Jamar Chad Chase can catch anything. And he's a big, strong body that can run any route in the in the route tree. And he takes tremendous pride in that he hits the weight room hard. His legs are as strong as anybody's on the football team. When he plants his foot and cuts violently, I mean he gets separation. And for those two guys to be professional enough to look at each other on the field and you know, like a nod and yeah, what we were talking about when we were on the sideline over there talking on the bench, this is it. This is what we're talking about. And you know, a little knot in the nod back and they get on the same page and execute. That's That's that's heavy duty stuff, man. That's that's big time and coaches have to be thrilled with that.
Speaker 3: I was struck by when Joe was talking about learning throwing to Chase and Higgins, things he notices and how they snatch the ball and how strong their hands are. And he says a lot of times you throw to a guy and they'll catch you with their body. He said, Tea on that quick slant with his hands, and just how strong they are. And it was just it was interesting as much as an appreciation we have for the Bengals receivers to see the quarterback for the first time throwing to him, how it's so obvious to him.
Speaker 4: What. Wow, those guys are really good.
Speaker 3: I mean that fourth and four, the nineteen yard passed to Jamar Chase, he wasn't open. He trusted Jamar to use his body and strength to snatch and rip through it, and it just it was it was amazing to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the National Football League, sometimes they're not going to be open. You gotta trust that they're gonna make a playoff for you a contested catch. And Jamar Chase is as good as there is in the league with that. And Joe Barrow can tell Joe Flack all about that. I'm sure he probably already has. I bet that's a source too. Haven't really asked Joe Flacco, you know how much information that he has garnered and gathered from Joe Burrow about the offense about the coaches, what they like to call, what they don't like to call, what their receivers talents are, what they can do best, and things to stay away from. But one thing that both these quarterbacks can do. They can pinpoint the football so they can hit the right shoulder, they can hit the left hip. And that is that's a major major league talent right there. And the receivers appreciate it. I mean, you know, they know that the quarterback is going to give them an opportunity. Even when they feel like they're covered, They're alive. They're not dead in the play. The ball could be coming their way, so be ready to go make a play. And most times they do.
Speaker 3: You know, great minds think alike. As I was just about to ask you, I remember a year after year, Bob Trump he talking to me about the pinpoint accuracy of Ken Anderson and knowing as he's coming out of his break, the ball was always he always knew where the ball was going to be. And whether it's a different quarterback and different RPMs coming out the rotation, whatever it is, to be able to count on the quarterback to put it where you want it and need it is what Kenny Anderson was so good.
Speaker 4: At absolutely my old roomy there Kenny Anderson, and that's what every receiver said about him. Man, he puts it in the exact same spot every time, and it's like not even a centimeter different, you know, it's like unbelieve. It's uncanny. And Flacco has that kind of accuracy too, not just the short passing it, but the intermediate routes, those tough routes to the intermediate routes between a lot of times there's a layer with the backers and the safeties and corners, and boy, they can just put that football, drop that football in there perfectly. And that is an immense talent to have.
Speaker 3: Jamar Chase Statfory from the NFL. It was his fiftieth career touchdown yesterday. He becomes the third player with at least fifty touchdown catches prior to his twenty sixth birthday.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: He joins Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski. Moss did it and had sixty touchdowns before turning twenty six, Gronk fifty four before turning twenty six. In Jamar with his fiftieth yesterday, and.
Speaker 4: Both of those guys, well, I don't know about twenty six, but they both played with Brady, and Brady was a touchdown Makerman as he was he was, he threw touchdown pass after touchdown pass, and Randy Moss and Grondkowski. Huh. That's a good company. That's that's a good short list right there, to be number three of those two dudes.
Speaker 3: By the way, while we're speaking wide receiver, I almost feel like we jinked jinkst Yoshi because we talked so highly about his breakout game last week and then yesterday, boy, it was rough. I don't know if they're officially counted as three drops, but it's three. You could argue he dropped, no question. I mean, I remember all of them, and so does he.
Speaker 4: He's reviewing him in his head as he laid in the bed last night. I bet you that was a long flight home. You know, when you have those kind of games and you know it's like now the key is bounced back, don't let it linger, you know, don't don't let that, you know, take you down. That's the bottom line. Everybody has an off to everybody has a bad day. Yosi's was definitely that up in Green Bay. And now move on when.
Speaker 3: We continue, we will move on and here from Evan McPherson on Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Networking seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Hey, we keep.
Speaker 3: Rolling right along on this Monday night of Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Networking seven hundred WLW, Lance McAllister Dave Lapham. We've talked to offense, We've talked defense. Let's add in some special teams. Evan McPherson delivers the one hundredth field goal of his young career. Look like he had a record breaker at sixty seven. Well he had. It just didn't count because Matt Laflorid called time out and then missed on the follow up. But here's Dan Horde after the game with the Bengals kicker heaving.
Speaker 9: We've talked many times about your desire to have a chance to kick one from sixty plus. Well turned out to be an NFL record attempt had you made it of sixty seven yards? First, what did you think? I think when they called on you from that distance?
Speaker 17: Me and Darren had a conversation.
Speaker 16: I feel like before the drive started and I was just like, if you give me to the fifty, I feel confident that there's a good chance it's gonna go in. So we had a good idea of like what the offense just trying to do and get to And so as soon as I saw skip past fifty, I was like, all right, good to go. It's a lot of excitement. You don't get those opportunities often. And to be honest, it's like I didn't hit the first one great. I kind of towed it a little bit, and that thing just took off and it carried, and I was honestly a surprise that it got there.
Speaker 17: And then the second one, maybe a little.
Speaker 16: Bit of adrenaline pushed off a little bit harder and just got under it a little bit.
Speaker 17: But you know, I feel like in that situation and the win that we had.
Speaker 16: Today is you're not gonna get that often, because I, honestly, I feel like I was just kind of a gift of a kick, like perfect scenario to break the NFL record.
Speaker 17: I just got under it just to touch.
Speaker 16: It was cool to see the first one go in, but I wish the second one would have. But uh, I guess it'll have to wait.
Speaker 9: Were you thinking, were you cognizant of the fact, all right? This is an NFL record potentially.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, I mean you definitely understand the kick that you're going out there to hit. And I realized, you know, as soon as we got out there, you know, or it's sixty seven yards, just put a good hit on it, it should have a good chance of going in.
Speaker 17: But yeah, I was definitely aware of kind of the situation.
Speaker 9: Did you know the time out was likely?
Speaker 16: I feel like whenever they have one, yes, But I will say I feel like we got out there at tad late. Clock was running down, so as they thought they would just let us roll with it and let us kick it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Good, But it's nice of them to let me have a reset or refresh and just kind of reset the clock force and just kind of let us operate and how we normally do.
Speaker 17: But I just gonna put a better hit on that one. So yeah, I feel like time out, if they have it, they would do. But in that situation where the clock was, I didn't think it was likely.
Speaker 9: When you saw the first one hit the crossbar and bounce over, are you thinking, all right, I know I can do this.
Speaker 16: Yeah, definitely, with I feel like with how poor I hit it, I thought for sure I was like, oh, I just have to get this thing up in the air and it'll go in.
Speaker 17: So I was super confident going into the second one.
Speaker 16: Like I said, it's just just pretty tough to make to sixty seven yards back to back, but definitely capable of doing it and we'll get the next tent.
Speaker 9: How could get another shot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you Evan McPherson. After the game, and boy it was. It was a cannon shot off his foot at sixty seven yards and I'm thinking yeah, and then you sure enough camera pans the battle of the floor.
Speaker 4: No no, I called time and I was like, yeah, yeah. He was sprinting down the field, making sure getting it right on top of that official, making sure that he acknowledged and gave him, you know, the time out before Evan McPherson could could get get that ball off, man, I'll tell you that, to hit a football that hard and to carry that carry at that distance and to get the elevation to get it up over the line of scrimmage. Because Green Bay was trying to block that bad boy, they felt like, okay, he's gonna have to hit a low line drive of two iron instead of a wedge, you know, to get it there, and McPherson crushed that thing man that had a majestic trajectory to it, and hit the crossbar and kick through. But the you know, the kick after the timeout. The timeout proved to be a very very brilliant move by Lafleura because yep, the mac you know, was thinking about it. I guess probably a little bit too much and kind of mishit it and it fell wolfly short.
Speaker 3: Dave. I saw a stat on ESPN last week that I made note of that shows dramatically how the game of field goal kickers has changed. In nineteen seventy, kickers made fifty nine percent of all their kicks. Right nineteen seventy made fifty nine percent. This year, kickers are converting seventy three percent from fifty yards or beyond. I mean, that's just insane. I mean the days of a horse muleman, Jim Breach.
Speaker 4: I mean, it is. The evolution is so different. It's stunning, it is it is. It used to be. I mean a lot of teams the place kicker who was a position player. It was like the you know, the extra the last wide receiver or you know maybe uh, you know, a last defensive back on on the roster. And uh and now when you hear like going to practice and listening, uh, getting close to where he's he's uh, you know, crushing the football when he's doing his kicking drills. It's unbelievable. The noise that it makes, I mean, the thump, the thud that it makes when he strikes that football. You know, he's compressing the heck, got it, but I guess you know whatever physics right now. Yeah, he's laughing, but I mean to compress it. And and then the thing just springs out like that. It's it's unbelievable. The action reaction part of that is is tremendous. And and they have that kind of accuracy because they have narrowed the goalpost. Now they you know, take them into the as high as they can take them. But uh, it's it's it's really these guys. It's a specialty specialists, and it is it's incredible to the legg strength that they have. I mean, Evan McPherson likes to squat with freeways instead of like leg extension machines and that kind of thing. Wow, and he he loads it up pretty good.
Speaker 3: I look this morning and This is incredible because we know how good Jim Breach was. Jim Breach the most maybe one of the most clutch kickers of all times ever missed it overtime. Absolutely, Jim Breach in his fourteen year career made six kicks of fifty yards or more. Evan McPherson already has twenty five twenty five in five years in Jim And it's no, It's obviously not a knock on Jim Breach. It's just that's the way the game was, and the football was and kicking was. But six and fourteen years for one of the best kickers, the best kicker in Bengals history in Jim Breach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's nine and day difference. Yeah. And he was one of the best kickers in the league. Yes, yeah, I mean by far.
Speaker 3: The franchise is all time leading scorer by the gobs of points.
Speaker 4: It's not even close. Yeah. I mean, he preacher man, he could put points up on the board. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: I believe never missed an overtime field. I think nine for nine overtime, I think, mister perfect.
Speaker 4: There you go. Yep, that's a that's a big clutch. We called him mister Clutch you know. I mean, yes he was. He had the clutch gene for sure he did. And uh yeah, kickers, it's a it's a special skill set.
Speaker 3: No doubt about that. We'll take a time out. We've reached the bottom of the hour. There is much more to get to. We are navigating our way through three hours tonight of Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back on Bengals on in this Monday night. We are cruising through all the conversation off yesterday's lost to the Green Bay Packers will eventually set up and look ahead of those Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday night. I'm Lance Pacalister alongside his Day Black. When we talked defense and some of the issues and some of the the mistackles that hurt boys. Some third downs day by I look, they allow a third and seven version, they allow a third and six conversion. There was a third and ten that led to a thirty five yard completion, a third and eight that led to a thirty one yard completion. Those are just backbreakers, especially in those in the second half where the offense started to get going, but then the defense couldn't get the stops they needed to give it right back to the offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that complimentary and non complimentary football that we talked about, is uh, you know, is his key. The offense starts to crank it up and the defense can't shut anything down. I thought, uh, you know, red zone problems cropped up big time. I thought tackling was poor overall, but in the red zone there were times where it was just flat out ugly. I mean, Al Golden probably couldn't even you know, he probably covered his eyes and didn't want to uncover them looking at what he was seeing out there on the football field. And you know, I just I just wonder. I don't think it couldn't have been that bad at practice. I mean, if it was, it was addressed. That's for damn sure. They didn't go into the football game, you know, allowing that to be the last thing that was on their minds and in what they put on tape to go into a football game. For sure.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm looking at snaps every Monday morning when the official snap or the unofficial snap count comes out. I look, and one thing that certainly jumps out that everybody's buzzing about, and it was noticeable during the game. Barrett Carter, the rookie, plays all sixty one snaps. Dimitris Knight Junior, the rookie plays fifty six of the sixty one snaps. Logan Wilson plays just twelve snaps, and I believe just one in the entire second half. There's clearly a transition going on with with youth and throwing him into the deep end and and letting them learn. And that's uh there, when you're learning, there's stuff you learn that costs you sometimes, and it's kind of the balance. You can't get experienced without snaps, and it's not always going to be perfect.
Speaker 4: True, that's very true. And uh, you know Al Golden going into this football game, one of the big differences that he did preparing and showing the Green Bay Packers was a four to two five defense and a four to three defense four three four. So he used it and changed up and mixed it up. He had different personnel packages in his mind out there, and I think it was effective. I thought Jordan Love at times was not quite sure exactly what coverages they were running. Al Golden mixed his coverages on the back end accordingly, with dependence on how many linebackers were out there on the football field and who he was going to leave his linebackers in coverage against, whether it be you know, a tight end or you know, a back out of the backfield. And like you said, you mentioned Bob Trumpy earlier in the show. Trump he loved matching up as a tight end, you know, against against linebackers and safeties for sure, But it was interesting to see a golden make that change, and he knew he needed to do something to give his defense a shot in the arm, and he thought that might do the trick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you've got when you've got two rookies, obviously, the downside is you don't have as much experience to draw from and and and there might be that that that look with a veteran maybe to helping out a young guy, you know, go here, move here. The communication when you got two young guys and you're both learning it as you go, there's it's tough to turn and say, well what do we do here? And guess the other guy's probably turn and say, I don't know, what do you think we should do here?
Speaker 4: We're both rookies, right right, and Logan Wilson the green dot was taken out of his helmet and given the Barrett Carter's helmet. Uh so you know that part of it had to be a little bit different for Al Golden and Barrett Carter, you know. Uh And and you know, I'm sure there might have been times where Al probably made a call said.
Speaker 5: Is he got that?
Speaker 4: I mean, give me some kind of innolvement, give me like a wink or a lot or something what's going on over there? So yeah, at can be a little unsettling for sure.
Speaker 3: While we're on the defensive side of things.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: We talked about DJ Turner playing so well, I'll tell you the guy I can't figure out Dave and he flashed And I go back a year ago at the start of the season, there was a thought maybe he's headed for a contract extension and this is going to be a breakout season. How do you explain what Cam Taylor brit Is is dealing with?
Speaker 4: It? Is it confidence? Is it? What?
Speaker 3: Is there anything that jumps out to you of what leads to some of the misses sometimes for Cam Taylor britt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like you said of the contract, you thought, and he probably did. He probably thought, yeah, I mean it's coming to him. I'm gonna have a nice little Ray is gonna be able to take care of the whole family. And then when it doesn't come, maybe he's pressing, you know, maybe he's like trying to or maybe he's just like you know, and sometimes when you press, your mind shuts down. You know, it's like you just can't you can't get anything right. You have to calm down, you have to compose yourself and and and play. You know, sometimes you're trying to play too fast, you know, just chill, take it easy. And maybe that's what uh, that's what Cam Taylor Brests do. Take a little chill pill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kim looked like one of those guys who could be a be a playmaker for this and this this is a defense outside of Trey, it could use guys that evolve into playmakers, difference makers. If you're the other team looking on tape, going, oh, we got to be aware of that guy. The Bengals need a guy or two to step up into that role that flashes he's one of those guys like yes, you know.
Speaker 4: Yoh man, this guy it's like he covers the entire football field, man, you know, just have a little area. They let him, you know, and uh, you know, David Foltcher another guy with the Bengals, that it was all over the field, cover the field. Dick Lebou realized that he had a special talent in terms of David Fulter, and let him not freelance, but let him go, let him go on his own. If you see something, go make the play. You don't make the play though, when you come to the sideline, you're gonna hear about it, son, you know. And uh and he can get scolded, You get scolded a few times. But David Fulcher made a lot of plays, and Ronnie Lott did the same.
Speaker 3: But the way that and uh we we we love full rock, and the way that Dick Lebou identified his skill set and and said I'm going to do this with you on the football field, just holy cow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And and for Dick lebow who was a great player himself, Hall of Fame player himself, to decide to give David Fulcher that kind of freedom, that says a lot about Dick Leabou as a coach. You know, it's like, you know, you can you can scheme all you want and try to make the perfect call at the perfect time. But you got a guy like David fulcher Man, he can he can uh make up for a lot of missus.
Speaker 3: Man, take a time out of continue. Let's get back into the offensive side of things and look at some of these first half struggles offensively. Oh my goodness, Uh, the way it's broken down, specifically over the last four weeks in the first half. We'll get into that and more. He's Dave Lapham, I'm alliance McAllister. It's Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Hey, welcome back to Bengals Line on this Monday night on the Bengals Radio Network. In seven hundred WLW, Lance Pacallister alongside Dave Lapham sorting through what transpired yesterday at lambeau Field in a twenty seven eighteen loss to the Green Bay Packers. The offensive struggles in the first half, specifically, Dave continue in the last four games first half, scoring three points, three points, three points, no points. Graphic from CBS said it's the longest streak without a first half touchdown for the Bengals since nineteen seventy eight. They've got to figure out a way to unlock something earlier in games you've just fallen by this defense we know needs some help and falling behind early does not help them, now, no question about it. And you know, Bill Walsh used to script twenty plays, you know, sometimes fifteen, but usually twenty. Maybe that's what the Bengals need to do. Maybe the Dan pitcher needs to script some plays and stay with that script. And you know, because when you're scripting players, you're spending a lot of time studying tape and what works best on first down? What's my best selection on second down? I want to make sure I get to this on third down very early, maybe my first third down call. So you've got it in front of you when you're you know, holding everything else, you're holding your clipboard during the course of the game. And I don't know, maybe that might be something to try because man, you know, you go into the locker room with no points or three points on the board. That's disconcerting, man, that's disheartening. I mean, everybody's looking at each other like, what the hell, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: You know, shoot, can't we throw the football? Can't somebody catch a football down the football field. For us, this is too hard. We're making it too hard. You know. Let's uh, let's take the burden of responsibility. Uh, you know off of us a little bit. Man, Let's uh, let's get some to me. It looks like sometimes they're just not having fun. You know. It's it's they're grinding so hard and trying so hard to do it right that it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: It was hard to believe. At the end of the first quarter the Bengals have been out gained one sixteen to one one yard and out possessed thirteen minutes to two minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the end of.
Speaker 3: One quarter, I'm like, that doesn't even look real. It looks like a typo on the screen.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you. During the course of the game, you know, I kept saying to Dan, like, what the heck? I mean you talk about few peopleway I mean, it was we were we're talking about it, like, what the hell is going on? You know, when are they gonna get a first down? When are they gonna move the chains? I mean, this is this is unbelievable. This is like, uh, it's not even elementary football. It was it was foreign football. It was weird the third quarter.
Speaker 3: The drive in the third quarter that went seventeen plays, which is just a thing of beauty ten minutes and fourteen seconds. And I go go back and look at that, and maybe we talk about things you can carry over into Thursday night. That drive Dave in the third quarter featured seven runs. In those seventeen plays, Brown went for five yards, Brown goes for four yards, p Ryan for two, p Ryan for six, Brown for nine, p Ryan for one, Brown for one. But the seven runs produced twenty eight yards on that drive, and maybe maybe it's something that sticks, like, oh, look at that.
Speaker 4: We stuck with it.
Speaker 3: We had our best drive of the year and seven of the fourteen plays or seventeen plays were runs. So something to hang your hat on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'll forever, I'll go to my grave saying you know, balance, you're looking for balance in your offense. You've got to be able to run the football at times and you have to be able to throw the football at times. Sometimes defenses are going to be well prepared and make adjustments and make amazingly good adjustments during the course of the game where it's like whoa knoct you back a little bit staggers you. You're gonna have to be able to make an adjustment along with it. And for Joe Flacco to have a seventeen play drive, I wonder how many times during the course of his story career he's had a seventeen play drive. And to do it up there again, we talked about Lambeau and how loud it is. That's a that's a heck of an accomplishment to deal with the adversity. A good football team solid, they've got really good players out there, and the crowd noise is like deafening you. You almost got a headache, it's so loud. And then you've got to sort through everything and have a seventeen play drive. That's extraordinary, it really is.
Speaker 3: I love the fact Chase Brown had his longest run of the year. It was only thirteen, but it was his longest run of the year. And if you look, I mean the overall run numbers obviously at three point four not good, right, Chase Brown carried nine times for forty two. That's four point seven. That just cries out, man, if you could, if you could stick with that a little bit more. There was a moment in the second quarter. They have it third and two on their own forty five, and I'm thinking, man, I know, I like I call time out and bring my offensive line over and say, guys, we're gonna run it the next two times it's on and we're gonna get two yards. And if we don't get two yards, then you guys can find your own way home.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: But and then they have Joe throw in Tanner Hudson I think loses three on the catch. Yeah, but I look at those moments that you're the offensive line, and those moments to me just cry out, make your offensive line give them something.
Speaker 4: As a goal.
Speaker 3: Guys get this first down on third and two and you got two plays to do it on our own forty two. And I think that would mean something to an offensive line.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. What it would mean is you've got the respect of the coaches. You know. It's like, okay, third and two, this is automatic. Man. We know, we know you come off the line of scrimming and knock people around. We know you're gonna knock them back. We have full confidence in this. We're not even considering anything else. We're gonna run the ball. We'renna run it right between the tackles. Boys, here we go, broom get stuffed. You know that that just uh, that's unsettling, to say the least. And then when when the opposition does that to your defense, yep, you know it gets the third and two and you think, okay, guys, hey get ready, here we go, we're going back. Maybe not, you know, let's let's not get too ready because we haven't stopped him on third and two yet the whole game. So those are the kind of things that have to the worm has to turn quickly in those dynamics.
Speaker 3: And Hick the one run I think it was Chase Brown the one run he gets stood up, but the pile keeps getting pushed. It was like a big rugby scrum, I want to say, for seven eight nine yards And I'm thinking it was so cool to see and there was so much physicality on that play, like guys keep pushing it. I'm like, yes, that it showed you you can do. Just stick with it and see you may you may run your head into the wall a couple of times, but you know how to eventually the damn breaks. You built some momentum and confidence and everything starts clicking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And honestly, I thought yesterday might have been the most physical game they play overall, you know, offense, defense, and special teams, all three phases that they all had their moments and then they had moments of disappointment and ineffective play. That's for sure. It certainly was not perfect, far from perfect. But you know, maybe the worms turning a little bit in the graphs are going up.
Speaker 3: I would take that absolutely. We'll head down the stretch in our second hour tonight. Thanks for tagging along with us tonight for the Bengals Conversation. We do it on Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. All right, we are cruising down the stretch, about to put our number two in the books tonight on Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW. Lancemcallister and Dave Lapham. We were talking about the Bengals running the ball. Let's flip it back to the other side day for the Bengals are gonna have to be better at stopping the run. Green Bay pounds it thirty three times for one hundred and fifty three yards, and you know darn well that Mike Tomlin and The Steelers are not going to shy away from pounding the football. Even with limited success early, They're gonna keep coming at you. The Bengals got to figure out a way to clean that up.
Speaker 4: No doubt. I mean, Mike Tomlin and his coaching staff on the offensive side of things, looking at that tape and like, all right, thirty three times for over one hundred and fifty yards, that's us. That's Pittsburgh steel of football. Let's go do it. Let's replicate that. And Pittsburgh's always had a big, physical offensive line. Those dudes all hit the weight room, man, They've they've all got guns, man. They've all all been doing their curls and their bench presses, and they get strong legs as well. I mean they come off the football and they knock people back, and they have multiple schematics in their run game. They'll they'll pin and pull trap you. They'll run counters, they'll run sweeps, they'll run you know, just dive plays and uh, you know, straight line blocking patterns between the tackles. So the Bengals al golden and the Cincinnati Bengals defensive unit is going to have a plethra of run scheme to digest and understand and be able to react to.
Speaker 3: And David goes back to what we talked about last week, and if you can run the ball, the ability to tick time off the clock, kill the clock, keep your is just keep your defense out of jeopardy, keep them on the sidelines, establish a run, work on the clock, matriculate the ball down the field, wear the other team down.
Speaker 4: There's just so much that happens.
Speaker 3: It's so simple, but there's so much good that can happen when you can run the ball, and so much it does to damage the opposition.
Speaker 4: It's just, oh yeah, man, I hear you. I agree with you one hundred thou Marvin Lewis was right next to us during the broadcast. He was doing a cable television broadcast, and UH talk to him a little bit before the game, and and he always talked about when he was a coach of the Bengals. Look, we have to build an identity. We have to establish an identity, and I want that identity to be physical physicality. I want that to be a f C. That time a f C Central, but now it's AFC North. I want that to every every other team in the league is going to be oh man, We've got to go to that division and play those guys. You know, it's like they know they're in for a very very long day in terms of knocking heads and uh and and getting after people. So but you know, you go into Pittsburgh, Mike Tomlin is gonna do two things. Run the ball. Stop the run. He believes that's the beginning of of everything that that goes on on either side of the football. And he he's a he's a guy that uh loves the game of football, loves the physicality of the game of football, and he instills that in his players.
Speaker 3: And I I go back to what you said about Matt Lafleur. Matt floor is a young, bright mind in the game. And yet he understood he's got a young stud quarterback and Georgiana Love. And yet he got a win with his quarterback only throwing at twenty six times because his offense was able to run at effectively thirty three times. What a what a world to live in if you're Jordan Love, where you can just drop back to past twenty six times, have your very productive two hundred and fifty nine yard day and a touchdown, and watch your offense click on the ground and win time of possession, and that.
Speaker 4: Those numbers you just read right there remind me of Mike Tomlin with Ben Roethlisberger. Yes, I mean the same thing, yep. I mean you got a guy that can throw the football like Ben Roethlisberger. But first things first, we're gonna pound the rock. We're gonna anchor you, We're gonna let you know that we're here to play football today, and you better get ready because here we come.
Speaker 3: Here, we come with our number three tonight at a busy third hour. You're gonna hear a little bit more from Zach, from Joe Flacco. We're gonna hear fun facts with Will Wagner, even a little bit of Mike Tom's thoughts on yesterday's win for the Steelers as we head down the stretch to the eight o'clock hour. Bengals On of the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Pay Corps. Pay Corps proud to be the.
Speaker 1: Official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Kettering Ol Best Care for the Best Fans.
Speaker 1: Kettering El Official healthcare provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. This is seven hundred WLW, the home of the best Bengals coverage.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go underway in the eight o'clock hour. Thanks for hanging out with us tonight. We've talked to Bengals for the first couple of hours reviewing yesterday's game against the Packers. Will eventually turn this hour into the more of the Pittsburgh Steelers as we head down the stretch. I'm Lance McAllister.
Speaker 4: He is Dave Lapham and hey, Bengals fans, make sure to catch me and Dan Horde every Wednesday this season for Bengals game Plan presented by Bud Light on the air from six to eight pm on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven eighteen. The final yesterday. Here's more from Zach on what happened and what's ahead for this football team.
Speaker 17: Right, you know, just.
Speaker 8: Sick after that loss because Ea chaff You know, I thought the defense in the first half gave us a chance. The offense had those four possessions that Dendre generated any offense and give us a chance there to take a lead, take a tie into halftime, and then second half offense came out. I thought played well, and you know, defense just couldn't couldn't quite get off the field. So when we talked about complimentary football, that's what we're talking about. And it wasn't overall good enough. You see pieces that that we can lean into and continue to grow. But but losing this game on the road, there's no conservation there. We expected to win. I thought we should have won the game. Credit to them, they did all the things that they needed to do to get this win, and we just we came up short. And that's just a cumulative tam effort over the course of the game.
Speaker 9: Xach Colene of.
Speaker 14: The early struggles offensively, but was just getting Joe getting used.
Speaker 4: To being out there his first time playing.
Speaker 5: You accounted some of that to that.
Speaker 7: I don't want to.
Speaker 8: I don't want to put it there. You know, I thought he was definitely ready as he came in the game, and and just part of it is you hear me say a lot, getting that first first down and getting the flow there, and we went three for three three and outs and those first four drafts, and I think before the half that certainly gave us some confidence. Even though we came up with no points. We got into a rhythm. We found some things in the past game we were able to compliment it with a run game. So we fell coming into halftime. The defense had done enough to keep us in that game. Whenknew getting the ball to start the half, we're gonna have a shot there, and so I definitely think we walked into halftime with some confidence, as loud asy as it is to say that with zero points on the board, but that was the truth, and you definitely saw that coming out in the second half. There was rhythm well, just again getting the getting the first first out, and I felt like we had a good plan coming out, good flow. We were able to get some of the stuff we wanted to get to. Early in the game, we just didn't have any place, you know, we had we had really no normal down plays. I felt like maybe four or five, So you don't get a chance all this stuff, your game plan you're ready for, you don't. You just can't act it until you get that first down and get into a flow. In the second half, we were able to do that a little bit more and the guys were feeling it. They came off the ball and they played well for us. I think that was that says more about Barrett than anything else.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: It's Barrett has just been an ascending player and it's time to see what he can do, you know, in a full time role. You know, we've given him bits and pieces over time, and and it's just time to throw them in the fire.
Speaker 7: Let him go.
Speaker 8: And Ocan still got his role, he'll play. I got a lot of confidence in Logan as well. This was just more about giving Barrett an opportunity to see to see how much potential we can get out of MS the season gets going.
Speaker 7: He was definitely ready for it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I mean, obviously I can't assess the play right now without without seeing it. But his mindset has always been one that I believed in, and I thought he had a great mentality all week and and then obviously we'll assess the tape and see how it went. And Trey was a bad contusion and Kissecki was a pack I don't know how serious either one.
Speaker 4: Of them were.
Speaker 8: I thought certainly he had a lot of confidence, got into a rhythm. There's time where you getting those games where you're having to throw the ball there at the end to get back in it.
Speaker 7: It's not all stuff that's on the call sheet.
Speaker 8: I mean we're having add a lib a little bit as you were exploring how they're playing our guys.
Speaker 7: You have to adjust as the game goes.
Speaker 8: I thought he did an unbelievable job handling that just a description of a play at times, and he just made it work and found ways to get the balls to our guys, you know, and he knows where to find Jamar and tea and.
Speaker 16: Five days from the trade to start or encoursed by the chemistry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you have to be. I mean, we're disappointed we didn't win the game. We didn't come here to lose the game. We came in here with enough to win. And I think if obviously, if we've done a better job complimenting each other, better job with the field position battle, we would have given ourselves a much better opportunity. Turnovers one and nothing, penalties we had three. I mean a lot of things. We came in here and said we're going to have to do to win the game. We did and we just again it was it was it was too little in each half, by by each unit.
Speaker 4: There the final drive of eating tomorrow A lot for.
Speaker 8: A better term. Yeah, I thought he did a great job. He did a great job with the protections, did a great job handling the whole offense. And that's that's a credit to him, and it's you can't just walk in there with nothing, you know, and going to Lambeau and expect to meet the Green Bay Packers with nothing. So we tried to find ways to get as much in as we could, and we were able to do that because the confidence that he really gave us each day that passed as he recided the play calls and meetings and in practice he was handling it all. And I know he's played a lot of ball, but it doesn't matter, you know, when you go in here and you're learning a new offense and new receivers, and you know, Jamar really was was limited, you know, two of the days this week, and you know that's to go out there and have that sort of connection, it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: It's very common thread that your biggers learned about the most of why they are.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's the best way to say it, you know, is it's hard to say there's a common thread. The common thread is we're not scoring and we're not moving the ball well enough to say that each game has been the same. It is not true. You know, one game with turnovers, another game's penalties. This one, we just we just lacked rhythm early on and just got to find a way to start faster.
Speaker 4: There go ahead, just as animated as a senior after the two.
Speaker 7: Wins, and well, we just we had a hope. We expected to win the game.
Speaker 8: You know, when you come here to Lambo and you put pressure on them, you know, you go, you go for two, make it down six, And now they got pressure on them, and so I think it just gave our team some energy, gave me confidence that we're gonna win the game. When that stuff happens for us, you just you feel like we're gonna go win. And so I think that's just frustrated right now because we we we weren't able to pull out. And these guys are deserved that this is This is a team I know we've we've lost several games in a row. Now we don't feel that and I mean this is a positive thing. These guys expect to win. They believe in each other. We are going to break through and we are going to be in the thick of this thing and we are going to find some wins. We're gonna hang tight together, and it's gonna come sooner rather than later.
Speaker 7: I can promise you that. And you just know, just looking at these guys and what they're made of.
Speaker 8: And the lack of finger pointing, and the accountability they've all had, and the confidence in.
Speaker 7: The house, all having each other.
Speaker 8: We just had a tough stretch and we haven't created the plays that we need to create to win the game. But I've been around long enough to know that we have the ingredients and we're gonna figure it out, and we're gonna find a way to be right in the thick of this thing when it matters.
Speaker 2: Most ninety six hours or so, what was your message?
Speaker 8: You don't have a lot of time to lick your wounds here. You know, it's it's more of a mental week this week. But what a tremendous opportunity. Look at where our division's at. What a tremendous opportunity to go get the team that's leading it right now, and our first opportunity at home in prime time. They got a short week, We got a short week, So it's it's a fair playing field, and and they're gonna come in here with a lot of confidence obviously the way that they've won their games, and we're gonna find a way to get up for it and do everything we can to find a win.
Speaker 9: Do you think that's second hand can.
Speaker 5: Potentially turn.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's got more of a chance to do that than not. You know, when when you've you've got confidence. I'm careful because we didn't. We didn't do enough to win there, but but there is confidence on offense with Joe just showing up that that we can continue to play off that'll we entirely do different defense, different structure, and again we just got to come together as a team, figure it out and find a way to win.
Speaker 14: Two specific players.
Speaker 9: While Mars touchdown, which team this kind.
Speaker 8: Of Yeah, I thought DJ showed up big time. I thought he made a lot of players on the ball. He operates with a lot of confidence, he practices hard, it's important to him. We've seen a lot of leadership qualities from him, and so I was was excited to see DJ. I'm not surprised. I was excited, not surprised that he did a great job getting Sands some balls and he was there.
Speaker 7: It's the key moments.
Speaker 8: Jama's touchdown catch is unbelievable, you know, it's it's really I can't even tell you the description of the route we ran there, because that was one of those here's what he's gonna do, and let's do it and I'll see how it played out. I know they had, you know, tight coverage underneath and the safety leaning over the top, and Joe gave me a chance and somehow Joe Jamar just found a way to make a huge play for us that that again gave us a lot of energy and gave us a chance. Yeah, I'm careful with the silver lining because our expectation is not to be in the spot we're in right now, but it's where we are, and so we we have to continue to move forward and the way it's shaken out, we're still right there with the perfect opportunity in front of us. So our guys understand that you don't have to I don't feel like I got a tiptoe around how I say everything. Hey, we're we're we've we've lost several games in a row and we're still a good team.
Speaker 7: I don't feel like you have to tip, So you don't have to treat them like that. They understand.
Speaker 5: They know what we have.
Speaker 8: I know it's probably dark outside the building, but they don't really feel that. I think there's a lot of confidence here that we're the team that we set out to be in training camp in the off season, and we're gonna find those opportunities and we'll be right there when it matters.
Speaker 3: Most Zach Taylor Assessing yesterday and looking ahead to Thursday night. We'll look ahead the Steelers more in depth as we continue Bengals Line on the Bengals Radio Network in seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Good Coach for the Bengals Coach of the Week presented by pay Corps Visit Bengals dot Com Slash Coach of the Week.
Speaker 3: Let's get more perspective on yesterday's performance from the new guy, Joe Flacco after the game with the media.
Speaker 10: Well, I thought as an offense, we settled in, you know, probably sometime in the second quarter, and not that we were able to get over the hump in that quarter, but we we came out and played a good a good second half, you know. But usually against a good football team, it's playing one good half isn't going to be good enough. But we gave ourselves a chance down the end, and and I think we did some good things, but just not enough early on. Oh listen, I think we settled down a little bit, started getting a little girthm I think that first drive really helped. I mean, anytime you can keep a defense, it's not easy when you have to go twenty plays to score a touchdown, but anytime you can keep a defense on the field that long, it is to your advantage. I think you can wear them out a little bit. And you know, we it's not like we ran the ball for a ton of yards. We did have some pretty good runs in terms for first down conversions, and you know, you could start to you could start to feel the physicality of of of us kind of pick up as the game went on the.
Speaker 4: Run, like you still getting used to be on a new team.
Speaker 10: I probably settled down a little bit, for sure. I thought that there was at least one or two where I where I could have taken just quicker the short one. But also, listen, they're a good defense, you know, so you got to give them a little bit of credit. And it's just kind of how it was that.
Speaker 15: Make that catch that you want to catch, man makes that catch for you then you make me two points.
Speaker 10: Yeah that listen, you're still I mean, after after the two point version, I was pretty pumped up. But in the moment, you're just trying to keep it simple. Take it for what it played, one play at a time.
Speaker 2: Yuh y.
Speaker 10: You know, I kind of kept telling myself that on the sideline today. You know, don't get don't get too high in this environment. Just kind of no matter what the scoreboard says and and what's going on, just remember to keep continue to play each play and and look, I mean there's a league if you if you're able to do that consistently, then you're gonna put yourself in it down the stretch.
Speaker 5: What any difference do you've seen how that Jamor and your game games and catch?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I mean I I came over the sideline a couple of times. It was telling Jake like just the way they plucked the ball out of the air, like I threw a I threw like a quick out route to j to to Jamar and I didn't get the ball great and it it was like a an awful spiral and he still just caught it like with both hands. And then the one one that I can think about to t uh. We hit 'em on a like little like inside slant route for a third down on I think on that first drive of the second half, and a lot of guys would go down and kind of catch it with their body and slide and and he just plucked it right out of the air with with both hands.
Speaker 6: It's pretty impressive to see those guys.
Speaker 4: Go fourth down. That was that an act with.
Speaker 10: Too fourth down for the touchdown? Which one was that the one in the back of the end zone?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: The one?
Speaker 5: The uh the one that you're married?
Speaker 2: Were they both fourth down?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 18: Uh?
Speaker 10: They came up and pressed him. We had, you know, so we had we we we we were able to take a shot. And I mean listen, obviously, when when he gets one on one, you y y y, you'd be you know, I think you'd be wrong a lot to not go his way. Obviously, you're jumping into an a team in a situations the fourth loss. You have those losses, but you see after today only recently need that you guys.
Speaker 2: Can for sure for sure.
Speaker 10: I mean, listen, this is a long season, and I I know it's easy to be down on yourself in hard times, but you know, playing with confidence shows, so we gotta find a way to kind of get some of that back.
Speaker 5: But I I I think we do have the ability to do that.
Speaker 10: Listen, we got a big week coming up, and you know the D these division games are are always good matchups, and uh, going in and playing a good game this upcoming week could help a lot with that. I think today probably helped a little bit. But y, you know, you still wanna win.
Speaker 17: The game in the same half though that you guys have a home times.
Speaker 7: Ye hope.
Speaker 10: So I mean you you're always looking for ways to to play with confidence. I think, uh, you know, they talk about learning how to win, and good football teams know how to do that. That's because they always believe they can win. And and listen, I I've only been here for a week, but I I think these guys in the locker room got a good head on their shoulders and I'm excited to get to work with them.
Speaker 7: That's your question.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's act's been great man, level headed, and I I mean, obviously it's been a lot of help for me this week, just putting the game plan together, not trying to get too complicated with things like fun.
Speaker 6: I think sometimes like.
Speaker 10: Bec wasn't starting in this league's a big deal. I think sometimes you can make it too big of a deal in your head. So I think for me this time around, it was just hey man, you're playing a game, and it's it just goes in line with that. Let the game come to you a little bit. Just play each play, do what you're supposed to do on that play. Even though it is a big deal, try to downplay it a little bit so you can go out there and have fun and and and play your best.
Speaker 4: I was a communication y.
Speaker 10: I think it was pretty good. I mean, there was a couple of plays where out there. I remember one play I think we actually ended up kind of getting what we wanted, but I we got I think that they got pass interference on Jamar down the right sideline or holding or whatever they ended up calling, but I definitely didn't call the right play, and I said, so that's why I kind of signaled out to Jamar.
Speaker 6: Just hey, you run this route.
Speaker 10: I know, I know we can get that done. But overall, I think it went pretty well.
Speaker 18: That has gone through, you know, stretching this team has currently going through, or anything that you can say to this group.
Speaker 5: That has as.
Speaker 10: It's tough to like generally say something to like the team, but I think as like you can see individuals throughout the course of a game or in the locker room right now, I think it can be very helpful to go up to individuals that maybe feel like they're having a hard time or whatever it may be, and give them, you know, give them that that vote of confidence. Listen, sometimes you get so focused on what you didn't do well, and you think everybody's looking at you. Oh my gosh, everybody's looking at me, and I didn't do this well. Nobody's looking at you. Man, everybody's worried about what they're doing. And I think good football teams are made up of guys that can do that, that are so focus and what they're they're doing that everything else comes together. So it's just a reminder of some of those guys that may be feeling that way, like, hey, man, like nobody's paying that much attention. Like you just keep doing what you're doing, Like the next play is the most important, so in the next game to a certain level. So I think if we can keep that mindset, will be all right.
Speaker 3: Joe Flacco assessing the performance yesterday, completing twenty nine passes for two hundred and nineteen yards, a couple of touchdowns, no interceptions, and a ninety point nine QB rating.
Speaker 4: Not bad at all. Oh.
Speaker 3: Sure, we are ramping things up and headed down the stretch on this Monday night. Fun facts still ahead and more on the Steelers. So we continue with Bengals Line and the Bengals Radio Network and seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: We continue on in this.
Speaker 3: Monday night at Bengals Line the Bengals Radio Network. It's seven hundred WLW Lance Pcallister hanging out with Dave Lappholm, Yes, Sir Lance, and Alta Fiber, the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of the Bengals in Greater Cincinnati's fastest Internet with up to two gig symmetrical speeds. We love Dan Horde's weekly fun Fact segment. It's a chance to get behind the scenes with a Bengal. This week it's Will Wagner, the long snapper. Here's Dan with Will.
Speaker 2: No fantastic fun facts with Dan Ord.
Speaker 9: Time for some fun facts with rookie long snapper Will Wagner from Alpharetta, Georgia, near Atlanta. How did you get your start as a long snapper.
Speaker 18: I played center like from sixth grade or actually not like fourth grade till I was senior in high school. And like, my brother played at Mercer University and he was a linebacker. And one of the things is like I want to play college ball because just watching him play every Saturday, I was like, this is something I want to do.
Speaker 4: Im.
Speaker 18: Like, he was an all state linebacker in Georgia, so I wanted to follow in his footsteps. I knew I wasn't gonna be like six', four so like being a sinner would be really hard for. Me SO i was like a long snap, too how ABOUT i go to some of these camps and, uh that's that's really HOW i, started BECAUSE i wanted to play college.
Speaker 9: Ball aside from long snapping at football, practices did you do it on your? Own did you have a target in the backyard or anything like?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 18: Oh, Yeah LIKE i had a target in our side, yard And i'd go out there almost like every other day and go snap like twenty balls into it and then, yeah and then also at practice as, well so, yeah almost every other Day i'd be.
Speaker 9: Snapping if you go on, YouTube there are a bunch of long snap trick shot type videos where guys are snapping through the window of a moving car or you, know trying to hit some sort of tiny target a long distance. Away have you tried anything along those.
Speaker 18: Lines, Yeah i've done the bottle.
Speaker 5: CAP i did.
Speaker 18: THAT i did that one rusher in. College people saw it and there was, like why can you do?
Speaker 5: THAT i was, like, yeah it's like show.
Speaker 18: Us and it took me like three tries and we're using like like a regular water, bottle so it was a small bottle cap and they're, like oh my. God so that's pretty much the only One i've. Done i've seen people like snap it off of the stadium into a trash.
Speaker 5: CAN i haven't really done.
Speaker 9: That we'll have to do the open window moving car.
Speaker 18: Sometimes, yeah, yeah, Yeah i'll volunteer my. Car it's twenty fourteen to coma things almost beating.
Speaker 9: It, well it's about the same as. Mine we're visiting with long Snapper Will. Wagner, so as you, said the dream was to play college, football and you did for six years At. Michigan Long snappers typically don't get a scholarship to begin. With if you go to the school and you turn out to be the, guy you get. One how did that process go for?
Speaker 18: You SO i got there in twenty. NINETEEN i didn't start until twenty, twenty and then after the only twenty, SEASON i didn't get put on. Scholarship so but then after the twenty twenty one that, SPRING i got put on. Scholarship SO i started for two seasons BEFORE i got put on, scholarship and THEN i was on scholarship the rest of the.
Speaker 9: Time michigan's not. Cheap, oh it's not cheap at.
Speaker 18: All, no my dad helped me very, much so with the.
Speaker 9: Loans how excited was he when you got the news that you were going on? Scholarship and how excited were?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 4: Oh he was so.
Speaker 18: Excited it's, like, oh thank, GOD i can retire.
Speaker 5: Early now.
Speaker 9: We're doing fun. Facts who Have bengals long Snapper Will. Wagner you had a red shirt year and then THE covid exception. Year, so AS i, mentioned you got to spend six years with The. Wolverine you played in fifty three. Games you were part of a national championship. Team describe what it means to have been part of a fifteen AND o team that won it.
Speaker 4: ALL i, mean it's a.
Speaker 18: BLESSING i mean that that whole season just felt like a. Dream like you, go like we were own into Like Ohio state, game And i'm, like we're winning as, Well like you just kind of knew that just because because of the culture THAT i was, there and like you, know you got some dogs on the, team and you're, like they're gonna ball, Out they're gonna bawl. Out SO i, mean it was just a pleasure to be on that, team be a part of.
Speaker 9: History you Beat Ohio state the last four times you played The. Buckeyes how obnoxious are you when you are Around Ohio state?
Speaker 5: People how obnoxious AM?
Speaker 18: I i don't rub it, IN i caress it Then i'm not too. Obnoxious but if they throw something at, Me i'll throw it.
Speaker 9: BACK i am going to remember THAT i caress it. In that's a good. One your head coach was the famously Quirky Jim. Harbaugh what's your Best harbas.
Speaker 18: Story so there's like one practice where we HAD i think we had like two people like break a wrists in like one practice and then like the team meeting the next. Morning sometimes he just goes on these tangents and he's just Like he's, like, GUYS i don't know what to. Say we had two people break the wrist, yesterday and.
Speaker 5: There's only there's only one way to prevent.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 18: Milk you gotta drink your. MILK i have a cup every. Day and then he brought in his sign that was like a got milk, sign and he put it over like the milk dispenser in the in the eating.
Speaker 9: Room did you drink milk as a?
Speaker 18: Result oh, yeah, yeah looks milk is nature.
Speaker 9: STEROID i didn't realize it was a miracle. Drug we're visiting With Will. Wagner he graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and in a scouting report on nfl dot com before the draft that, says quote engineering background fuels a thoughtful. Approach how do you use engineering and snapping of?
Speaker 18: FOOTBALL i feel, like especially with, engineers it's not like you like mindfully like that's gonna. Happen it's more like you mindlessly, like oh, damn that snap was.
Speaker 5: High it was LIKE i THINK i extended my.
Speaker 18: Hips and, like but it wasn't really the. Hips it was that your hips extended early and your follow through came. High so it's more of like kind of knowing how motion happens and like what happens when something else. Happens it's an engineering. School we did a ton of like, linkages and that's all long snapping.
Speaker 4: Is it's just.
Speaker 18: Linkages SO i actually did a report on. It i'm like a dynamic of report among long, snapping and LIKE i calculated the power that i'd like produce from it from throwing the ball between my, legs and it was, LIKE i think it was two kill wats or something like that of your.
Speaker 9: POWER i hope your professor was. Impressed gave me a be all, right a few wild card topics to wrap this up, With Will, wagner are you a science? Nerd yes very much.
Speaker 18: SO i love just like learning new, things especially with like.
Speaker 9: Science who's your all time favorite athlete in any?
Speaker 18: Sport Probably Michael, Phelps and the reason is that there's there's a story to. It SO i was getting TREATMENT i tore MY acl twenty twenty, two AND i was getting treatment AND i fell asleep in the training room And Michael phelps was coming to Our Penn state. Game he's gonna be honorary, captain And i'm passed out on the training. Table i'm getting like stem And, ice and my, buddy who actually tore his ac on the same, play was, Like wax get, Up, wax get up right. Now And i'm, like, no WHY i need to do, that and he's like and then he brings out his dad. Voice he, Goes wax get, up AND i go all, right AND i look up and It's Michael phelps and he's got his hand out for, me And i'm just, like oh my, GOD.
Speaker 9: I was Going Mike.
Speaker 18: Phelps. Yeah it's just like and he's definitely probably one of the most of the athletes it's ever, met Like, ben no, doubt SO i think you'd definitely be one of.
Speaker 9: Them Wags get up was good. Advice When Darren simmons contacted you to let you know that you won the long snapper, job he initially SAID i need you to bring your iPad to my, office making it sound like you were possibly getting. Cut did your heart sink before you got the good.
Speaker 18: News it's actually kind of a funny story to that. Too SO i actually saw col the previous song snapper that was battling with right before, that AND i was, like oh my, gosh have you heard? Anything and he goes it's like you've won the.
Speaker 5: Job AND i was, like oh.
Speaker 18: Damn talk for five minutes to, him, like, hey you're, Greatname you're gonna end up, somewhere which he ended up on The. Eagles so we. TALKED i talked to him for like five.
Speaker 5: MINUTES i was, like oh, gosh and.
Speaker 18: THEN i WENT i went to go to my locker and THEN i get a call From darren and he says, that And i'm just LIKE.
Speaker 17: I was.
Speaker 18: THINKING i was, like did he lie to?
Speaker 5: Me like Did?
Speaker 18: Gal and then he goes to go over The cleveland scouting. REFORT i was, like, oh thank. God it was a ton of. Emotion one he told ME i had the.
Speaker 3: Job and more of that conversation with Between dan And will on The Bengals booth podcast or At bengals Dot.
Speaker 4: Com love that.
Speaker 3: Segment, STILL i had more on Those Pittsburgh steelers and we head down the stretch On Bengals line and The Bengals Radio network and seven HUNDRED. Wlw we're rolling right along on This monday Night Bengals line on The Bengals Radio network and seven HUNDRED. WLW I amlliance Back. Allister he Is Dave lappam.
Speaker 4: And Bengals Friday Night Stripes tour presented by A Hole katt is back for all locations this. Season go To bengals Dot Com Slash. Community steelers pick up a win. Yesterday they moved to four and one on the. SEASON i bought some opening, thoughts initial thoughts on a twenty three to nine win over The browns from the head. Coach Here's mike Tomlin.
Speaker 19: Man it's great to win in The. North good start for us in divisional. PLAY i appreciate how the guys came off the By we didn't warm up to. It we had certain agendas that we thought were critical to making this game unfold the way we desired for. Dunfold we thought they played behind the. Runner we wanted to do a good job of minimizing, him AND i think we did. That when you do, that then you're in favorable one dimensional passing circumstances for your, defense AND i think that was reflected in the pressure that we were able to put on the quarterback on the other side of the. Ball we were able to stay on schedule and minimize those one dimensional, moments to Minimize Miles garritts impact on the, game and so like some of those agendas man that we, had we were able to get, accomplished AND i think that's why we engineered. Victory one area where we certainly fell short is a penalty. Component we scout crews just like we scout. Teams we noticed crew throws a lot of, penalties and we dropped the ball in terms of our preparedness.
Speaker 4: There i'll accept responsibility for. That we got to be.
Speaker 19: Better you can't beat anybody when you're beating, yourself and it just felt like at times we did that.
Speaker 4: Today and so we got to own. That we'll get a short.
Speaker 19: Week we're chasing ANOTHER Afc North pelt here in a short number of, days and so we respect the. Process we got to work fast here in preparation For thursday. Night got some bumps and bruises associated with. Play the only one that's worth mention of any significance Is miles Killer. Brew he's got a significant knee. Injury AND i have more updates for, You i'm, sure and they're not too distant future about the details of.
Speaker 4: That, Questions aside.
Speaker 10: From those kind of a couple of leaky moments In, ireland what's been a difference with your defense the last two weeks with the pressure and, EVERYTHING.
Speaker 19: I just think we're getting a full complement of our weapons.
Speaker 4: Back you.
Speaker 19: Know you know In, ireland, man we got twenty five. Back this week we got fifty six, back twenty four. Back everybody goes through. Injuries i'm not seeking comfort in the lack of, availability but if you're asking, me why is it starting to look the way that we. Desire we got a full complement of, talent and when we put this band, together we feel like we can do Things like you saw, Today.
Speaker 3: Steelers win twenty three to nine over The. Browns they led nine nothing at the. Half they've beaten The browns twenty two consecutive times In, pittsburgh the last that goes back to Pre Ben. Roethlisberger believe it or, not The steelers are now four in one in the division. OVER i saw a note over the last three, weeks The steelers are two and o and they had to buy because of the international. Game right over the last three, weeks or The steelers have gone too and, oh The browns have gone oh in, three The ravens have gone oh in, three and The bengals have gone oh in. Three and yet having said all That Thursday night is a huge opportunity day for The bengals is as dire as a four game winning streak may. Feel you get a chance to beat The steelers at Home thursday, night and you're back on.
Speaker 4: In this race in the. Division i'm telling, YOU i, mean for The Pittsburgh steelers to have two wins in the rest of the division not have one. Unbelieable that's, incredible it really. Is but that's That's Mike. Tomlin Mike tomlin's always uh always had, success always had great, players always knew how to utilize those great. PLAYERS i, mean he's still got people on the on the defensive side of the football Like Cam, hayward stud great. PLAYER i MEAN Tj, watt are you kidding? Me maybe is go to pass. Rusher he And Trey hendrickson are the two guys that most people look to and and, say these these two guys are the pass rushers of their. Era you, know it's it's. Incredible, defensively he always has multiple Players Joey Porter junior on the back end as Well alex High smith at at the outside linebacker. POSITION i mean they are. Loaded they are loaded, defensively and you, know when you go into a football game Against Mike, tomlin you have to remember two. Things he's going to try to kick your. Ass, Defensively he's going to try to knock you around the football, field and he's going to try to run the ball right down your throat and and uh and not apologize while doing. IT i, mean he's he's has a very very physical approach to the game of. Football he played it himself at the collegiate. Level he played you, know youth football obviously in high school and college, football and not not all coaches in THE nfl did play the game at that. Level suit he, understands you, know but he's expecting out of his, players and he's trying to be very fear in his.
Speaker 3: Expectation AND i see once again a, Theme dave of. Balance Yesterday Aaron rodgers threw it thirty, times they ran it twenty eight. Times they only average three point, six but they kept running the football for twenty eight, times and it's part of winning time of. Position and back to your point on the, defense you mentioned so many different. Names that's what makes them so. Good guess what gets all the. Headlines but they had six sacks. Yesterday Of Dylan. Gabriel five different players contributed in those six.
Speaker 4: Sacks That's steeler. Defense it. Is It's steeler. Defense it's great, Coaching the scheme. Works they believe in. It they've been doing it. Forever tomlin's been there for a million. Years he hasn't had a losing, season for crying out. Loud AND i don't know how. Many it's just that organization is the envy of most in THE. Nfl and The rooney family And Mike. Brown there's a heavy dose respect there between the organizations because they're, friends you, know off the football, field they're pretty good. Friends their dads were basically pioneers and foundation builders of The National Football, League Art rooney And Paul. Brown AND i BELIEVE i.
Speaker 3: HAVEN'T i haven't seen the stat, Yet but are we thinking That thursday night forty one year Old Aaron rodgers forty year Old Joe? Flacco are we working under the assumption that would be the oldest combined age of your two starting. QUARTERBACKS i would think it has to be a.
Speaker 4: RECORD i would, THINK i, MEAN i mean it's gonna come out in the. Staff, yeah, SURE i.
Speaker 3: Mean far have played late in his, career BUT i don't know he would have gone A brady, Obviously George blanda played. Lateness BUT i can't believe there's been another matchup of eighty one years combined age of the two starting.
Speaker 4: QUARTERBACKS i think it's the safe, Assumption, LANCE i really do. That that's. Unbelievable by the, WAY i was looking at the four fists of a deck of our, CENTURY i.
Speaker 3: Was looking Up George blayt of the sporting that guy he played until he was forty, eight now kicking, most but he he threw passes in games when he was forty one and then had a.
Speaker 4: Couple of and his coach he had the perfect head, Coach John.
Speaker 5: Madden.
Speaker 4: YEAH i mean it's Like John. Madden football had to be fun And John madden was all about, fun and so Was George Blanded and talking to some of Those raider, teammates, man he liked to tip the adult beverage. Man he would definitely have fun during the course of the. Week as the game got, closer he kind of settled down a little, bit but he enjoyed. Himself he enjoyed himself for a long.
Speaker 3: Time there you, go well down the, street put the wraps on at Next bengals line of The Bengals Radio networking seven HUNDRED. Wlw all, right final, segment final thoughts on This monday night And bengals line and The Bengals Radio networking seven HUNDRED wlw.
Speaker 4: And Lance Pai. Corp is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider of This Cincinnati Bengal all.
Speaker 3: Right so final thoughts and not looking, ahead but golden Opportunity thursday and against The steelers in the start of a three game homestand it's rare you get three straight at home and It's, steelers It's, jets It's. Bears i'm not Putting kurts before, horses, right but.
Speaker 4: Man get this one and get some momentum and then a chance to go on a, run no, Question, LANCE i, Mean i'm in full concert with what you just laid out. There. Man it's, uh get it done against against the arch, rival division, Rival Pittsburgh, steelers like we talked, about used to be THE Afc, central now THE Afc. North But pittsburgh's got a commanding lead in the early stages. Here you got to bite into that lead a little bit and uh and and, physicality that's the that's the name of the game when you play The Pittsburgh, steelers because you're gonna have to go up To pittsburgh and play, them and, uh you Know Mike, tomlin he's got a long, memory And i'd like to have him remember a loss for a long period of. Time that would be good because you, know the others are. Handleable you, know The. Jets you could take care of. Business three straight home games starting with The pittsburgh and then a buye so for a, month angles can stay In, cincinnati not have to get on a, plane travel, anywhere get on a, bush increase the. Travel. Shoot we had an hour bus ride up there In Green. Bay it was crazy getting to get into that hotel and into the stadium from the. Hotel it was a it was a weekend to, remember actually to forget because the game didn't turn out very. Well but it is like you, said you, know it is a chance to get back on, track to get, right to get things back in the right.
Speaker 3: Perspective thank you for listening. Tonight we're back at it next week to do it. Again this has Been Bengals line on The Bengals radio network in seven HUNDRED.
Speaker 1: Wlw this Was Bengals line on The bengals radio network Pay. Corps Pay corps is proud to be the OFFICIAL hr software provider OF Us Cincinnati. Bengals Ulti Viper Ulti viper the Official Wi fi And internet provider OF Us Cincinnati. Bengals this is seven HUNDRED, wlw the home of The Fest bengals.
Speaker 2: Coverage