Speaker 1: Ween Radio where we ghosted the commercials trick or Street Radio just for the kids.
Speaker 2: Plus explore curated Halloween playlists perfect for party fives and more.
Speaker 3: Just open the free iHeartRadio apps Halloween then listen.
Speaker 2: Now this is America's Trucking Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 4: Welcome Moore, Thanks for tuning in on this Wednesday morning atn the show that is the exception to the rule that nothing good happens after midnight.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a weather note.
Speaker 4: We are still in the hurricane season and there is a named tropical storm, the tenth of the season, named Jerry, and it's out over the tropical central Atlantic. Now, this storm looks like it's going to follow the pattern of just about every well, the other nine storms that have come up during this hurricane season. It starts approaching the United States somewhere close to or towards the you know, Haiti and Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico that and then all of a sudden it kind of hits the tip of that and then veers north and then starts going back eastward. So they're not anticipating this hitting landfall, but we do have those outer surges like we've had with some of the other storms, and what was it last week lost twelve houses along the Cape the outer banks there in North Carolina, something like twelve houses. But as far as direct hits on the United States, it doesn't appear that way, so that's good news. Yesterday I was watching this press at the press conference because Mark Carney, who is the Prime Minister of Canada, was meeting with Donald Trump talking about trade negotiations and this impasse between Canada and the United States and as far as tariffs and what needs to be done. And it was interesting because at first, you know, Donald Trump would tease about Canada becoming the fifty first state and he kind of well, tongue in cheek wise because and he pointed out and this kind of brought this home when I started thinking about it. Here in the Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky region, we have Cincinnati on one side of the Ohio River and then Kentucky on the other side of the river. And we have two cities in northern Kentucky, Covington and Newport, and a couple of other cities. But the main focus is, you know, businesses along the river. And there was a time back in the beginning of the about twenty ten, somewhere around there, there was this move where Cincinnati would come over and pote businesses from northern Kentucky, I mean right across the river an office tower just right at the end of the bridge, and then Kentucky would go over to Ohio and start poaching businesses over there to move them to northern Kentucky. Now it benefits Ohio, it benefits Cincinnati to take businesses from Kentucky Covington, Newport, etc. And it also benefits Kentucky to take businesses from there. But as far as the region is concerned, there's really no change and it really doesn't benefit anybody. The purpose would be then to maybe acquire or entice businesses to come from other states Florida, Illinois, Indiana, somewhere else, even Tennessee. And so that would then build the region as opposed to just a particular city benefiting or a particular state. And as they were discussing this now back in May, you know, Donald Trump was teasing about kind of becoming the fifty first state because of you know, just do away with the tariffs and we'll just make them a state. And of course Mark Carney being the Prime minister newly elected was I think you could tell he was a little bit irritated by that and told him, you know, frankly that you know, as a real estate development you know that certain certain territory, a certain land is not for sale. And he was being very bold with that. But since then they have talked to each other. They have a very warm relationship, and this press conference yesterday was very friendly. Donald Trump was complimenting him on some of the stuff that they're doing, especially on the war on Terror and trying to reach an agreement with Gaza over in Gaza to end that hostage situation over there. Carney was very complimentary of Trump and all the stuff that he has been doing on the world stage, et cetera. I mean, it was this, It was this just it was you think these two guys were best of friends for a number of years as opposed to this hostility. But during the discussion, Trump pointed out that in the past, Canada wanted companies to move to the Canada Detroit all the auto manufacturers. Auto manufacturers were looking for cheaper labor. The cheaper labor was up in Canada, cheaper land, being able to build factories up there maybe not necessarily the same wages and so on. In the United States. Mexico was part of that. We saw a big movement, a lot of businesses moving to Mexico, and that left this trade imbalance of where we were exporting jobs and we were losing manufacturing jobs at a rapid rate. And as they were pointing out, yes, Canada wants to produce cars and they want to sell them into the United States. We want to produce cars and sell them into Canada and so on, and he talked about that these are kind of touchy situations where, you know, we both.
Speaker 3: Have the same interest.
Speaker 4: It's good for one country or the other, but as far as the northern hemisphere, so to speak, it really doesn't benefit. So what they're trying to do is work out some of these arrangements. Now they talk later on in the afternoon. I don't know what else is coming out of that, but watching that press conference versus the press conference earlier in May, it was absolutely incredible the change in tone. Again they're talking about, you know, again talking about the Canadians. One of the questions came up Canadian citizens boycotting the United States, something like tourism is down twenty three percent, because I guess they took seriously or took offense to what Trump was saying. But then again, you know, Canada has not always been the greatest trading partner with US, and our citizens going over there for tourism has not always been all that friendly as well. There are certain areas over there it's like going to France, because over in France, they just they just have it. I don't give a crap attitude about anybody that visits there.
Speaker 3: So they have those things to work out.
Speaker 4: But I think the Canadians, and hell, it may have been as simple as the economy up in Canada is basically the same as ours to a certain extent, and so maybe their economy being on a downturn people can't afford. But of course they want to play it up as though all these people are protesting against the United States, that they dislike the United States, and Mark Carney point and I said, people of Canada love the United States, And Trump said, the people of the United States love the Canadians. So it's it's it's a complicated situation. But again, you've got to reach some sort of a negotiation. Because we pointed out or April the second, a Liberation Day. On that particular day, Trump trotted out all those charts. It said, Okay, here's what tariffs these countries are charging us. Here's what we're charging them. We had situations where between US and Canada, you sell milk or eggs or something like that, there's a two hundred and ninety nine percent tariff on those goods going into Canada. There's no way in hell you're going to sell those goods over in Canada. And likewise, with some of the cars going over there, they charge a lot on the tariffs of our cars going over there, but we charge very little on the cars that are manufactured over there. Even though those are American companies that are manufacturing over there bringing them into the United States, we don't charge tariffs on that.
Speaker 3: So trying to equalize that balance out.
Speaker 4: And again, as I've been saying from the beginning back in April, that if these countries are worried about how these tariffs are going to affect them, if they're not going to be selling as much goods into the United States because we are raising our terraffs, well, welcome to the club gang. Because we're having problems selling stuff into your country and it's affecting our jobs. So if you're worried about your jobs going down because of tariffs that we're charging, lower your terraffs and we'll play on the same level playing field instead of this unfair trade if you charging high terraffs and US charging very little terriffs.
Speaker 3: It's a very simple situation.
Speaker 4: But there's certain trade agreements that have to be put in place, there's certain barriers that need to be lowered, and this is going to continue.
Speaker 3: So they're working this out.
Speaker 4: But the contrast between that particular conference and that press conference there in May Versus yesterday was just absolutely incredible and it was interesting just how well they got along. Coming up, we're gonna be talking a little bit more. That's pretty much of that, but we're gonna be talking about despite some of the economic uncertainty, there are certain things that are still going on and going on strong. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's struck in Network seven hundred WLW need This is.
Speaker 1: The racing reward on America's drugging Network.
Speaker 3: On seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: NHRA officials announced a six NHR mission foods Drag Racing series competitors currently in contention for the twenty twenty five NHRA Rookie of the Year Award. The competitors eligible for this year's award include funny car drivers Hunter Green and Spencer Hyde, Pro Stock Stephen Bell, Cody Coughlin, and also Matt Latino and pro Stock motorcycle rider Braden Davis. Pro Stock newcomer Chris Vang has competed in three races so far in twenty twenty five and will become the seventh driver eligible with his schedule appearances in Dallas and the fall race in Las Vegas. The winner will be announced November seventeenth as part of the NHRA Awards ceremony.
Speaker 1: Need this is the racing repoord on America's Trucking Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: SEG Dennis at ATN Why would you ask a financial advisor permission.
Speaker 3: Diesel additives and air brake anti freeze.
Speaker 6: Starfire has you covered with a complete line of high quality fluids and OEM approvals to back them up, so you don't have to look all over the place to find the right products at pricing that makes sense. That's how Starfire is breaking the mold. Visit US at starfire dot com or give us a call. We answer the phone. Starfire.
Speaker 7: You're one stop for advertising called eight four four eight four four iHeart.
Speaker 4: I'm Kevin Gord in america'struck a Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: I mentioned that we keep hearing all this.
Speaker 4: You know, it's been since January when Trump came into office.
Speaker 3: And maybe it's a situation if people.
Speaker 4: Just aren't used to somebody who says they're going to do something and then gets into office and actually does it. I mean, you don't expect the person and coming into office to do what they say. On the campaign trail, why the hell are you voting for him? And yet during the campaign, Trump talked about the unfair trade balance, that there were going to be tariffs coming in if he was elected president. All during a campaign he talked about this balancing and getting back to fair trade instead of just free trade.
Speaker 3: He gets elected.
Speaker 4: Between the election and the inauguration, you know, November fifth and January the twentieth, talked about tariffs, putting those into place. January twentieth, gets inaugurated, talks about tariffs. Actually Lewi de terriffs, levied the terrifs On April to Second Liberation Day, and all of a sudden, everybody's so shocked that these were put into place, and economic uncertainty, and all we heard from January on this, you know, economic uncertainty. We don't know what these tariffs are going to do. Tariffs are going to lead to rampant inflation. Inflation is going to be up to you know, seven eight nine percent by the end.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 4: All this doming cline Terry's gonna push us into a recession. They kept talking about the R word and so on, and yet here we are in October, none of this has happened.
Speaker 3: And yet every story that talks.
Speaker 4: About economic data talking about uncertainty, economic uncertainty, and it all boils down to I will beat this drum till the drum breaks and somebody pays attention at the Federal Reserve. Lie Jerry Powell finally pays attention. Interest rates are the thing that is holding us back. I keep making the analogy that there's that there's some of these movies that we're talking about the Oklahoma land rush, when that territory was open to settlers and you could go in and drive a stake in the ground and claim one hundred and sixty some acres or whatever, and on a date certain I don't remember the exact date, but everybody was lined up on the border and.
Speaker 3: Just getting ready to go.
Speaker 4: You saw the horses, you know, getting hold ready and holding the reins back, can hold that, and whatever time it was, they shot off the gun and everybody goes rushing into Oklahoma. This is what our economy is like right now. Are a lot of these companies are standing on the sidelines waiting for interest rates to come down so they can expand their businesses, buy new trucks, buy a new truck, expand the economy, expand their manufacturing facilities, buy new equipment and so on, so that they can have a little bit more prosperity. But when you're looking at what it costs to borrow this money in order to build these things or to acquire these assets, people are saying, you know, maybe we can hold off another month, Maybe we should hold off until the Federal reserve kicks in. And I've been pointing out the fact that the overnight rate is what the Fed controls. As far as the funds that are borrowed from individual banks. If certain banks need to have certain cash reserves or cash available to cash checks or to transfer money or whatever. They have to borrow that because they'll always keep that in their bank, so they would have to transfer that or borrow that from a member bank. And that's the overnight rate that they keep talking about, that four percent, four point twenty five percent, which the rate is now in every other England, France, European Union, Germany, all Canada, All these rates are around two percent, Some are as low as one point five percent. Japan I think is somewhere around two percent as well. Ours is four percent. So that carries over into your credit card interest that that then goes into any of the debt as far as on those credit cards.
Speaker 3: It also affects.
Speaker 4: Interest payments on car loans, truck loans, so on. That effects also eventually trickle down into the mortgage rate. With seven percent close to seven percent, six and a half percent. Back during the beginning of the Biden administration, interest rates are down below three percent. We are now double that amount. And we've talked a couple of times on this show about how that affects the type of house, how much house you can afford, and how much your mortgage payment is going to be the mere fact that people are standing on this sidelines lowering the interest rate. If you want to talk about economic uncertainty, we already have ten months of where these tariffs have been in effect and how they have affected prices, and we have had little to no indication in any of the And as we said at the beginning, certain prices are going to go up, but then certain prices are going to come down, So overall inflation is going to be relatively the same. We are still pretty much around two point eight percent two point seven percent inflation rate. And then so we haven't seen a negligible increase. Now if you're talking about particular items, yeah you're going to notice that, but overall, all the different items that are purchased the that effect is going to be zero. So again prefacing that here, we have yet another story. Despite economic uncertainty, US auto sales rise in the third quarter. I didn't think any of that was possible because people were not out spending money, people weren't doing things. US auto sales are projected to rise approximately six percent in the third quarter as consumers demand remains strong despite ongoing economic uncertainty. If you've got economic uncertainty, You're not going to go out and buy a major asset like that because you're going to be stuck with that and stuck with that payment. And why would you go into debt under economic uncertainty? If you're not sure about your job or certain about the economy and whether things are going to go to hell in a handbasket, You're not going to go out and make that major investment.
Speaker 3: So why is it a shock to these people?
Speaker 4: And again when you tell, I mean all these economists and all they do is talk about.
Speaker 3: This, that, and the other. Thing.
Speaker 4: I want to remind you saying, and I love this economists is an expert who will tell you who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today.
Speaker 3: That is so clear because they talk about.
Speaker 4: All these things that are going to happen, then they don't happen, and then when they don't happen, then they go back and try to explain that, well, you know this was off or this was off. Why don't you, you know, kind of sharpen your pencil or whatever and come up with better conclusions and maybe pick up an economics history book and see how certain things have happened in the past and figure that, well, if they happened in the past this way and this was the pathway, maybe it'll happen again, you know. So anyway, getting back to the story, ongoing economic concerns, including tariffs and the end of electric vehicle tax credit. Of course, the economic uncertainty there, several major automobile automakers delivered solid sales growth to the July to September period. General Motors and Ford each reported eight percent increase in vehicle sales, while Toilet Motors American Division reported a fourteen percent gain. According to the market research firm Cox Automotive, US new vehicle sales are expected to total around four point one four million vehicles for quarter three four point one million in one quarter for quarter three, up from three point nine million from the same period last year. President Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill officially ended the seven five hundred dollars tax credit for EV purchases earlier this week, contributing to a temporary spike in EV sales. But as it turns out, now that those EV credits are down, guess what, the automobile manufacturers are rolling back their prices. Because remember we've talked about this before when that seven five hundred dollars tax credit went into effect, almost the very next day, a lot of the EV manufacturers raised their prices by seven thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: So what did you really net.
Speaker 4: You get a seven thousand dollars tax credit, but you're paying seven thousand dollars more for the vehicle. Now, mind you that tax credit that comes off your current year. It reduces your taxes and all that, but you're still on the hook for that additional seven thousand dollars if you're borrowing that over the life of that loan, and that compounds to where it probably pretty much eats up a lot of that credit that you'd be getting in that first year. But again, Duncan Aldred, president of GM's North America operations, said, consumer sentiment appears to have improved in recent months. I think stability, clarity and the lack that massive price rises that people feared is really driving the market. We'll pick this up and talk a little bit more about this because you know, again they talk about economic uncertainty, and guess what the economic uncertainty is with the economists. But the American people are steadfast and going forward, and they're saying the heck with it. My job is safe, or at least we are doing well. We're going to go out and have a good time, and we're going to continue spend money. I'm Kevin Born, america'struck in Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: In Oregon, federal orders are meeting local resistance.
Speaker 3: It's your bottom of the hour report.
Speaker 7: Sorry, it's her twelve thirty report, and I'm Travis Lair breaking now. A federal judge has blocked the Trump administration from deploying National Guard troops to Portland, a move the White House says is needed to control crime around an ice facility, where protests continue. In Chicago and Illinois, similar lawsuits are underway as Texas Guard members arrive in the state. The President is threatening to invoke the Insurrection Act if courts don't allow the deployments. Here's ABC's Trevor Alt in Portland.
Speaker 9: You have President from claiming that demonstrators and protesters, violent criminals in his word, are burning down the city, whereas the police chief and local officials are saying that the demonstrations here are happening really on a single block of a one hundred and forty five square mile.
Speaker 7: City hearing in Oregon is set for Thursday as tensions grow between federal and local authorities.
Speaker 8: Now the Ladies forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: On the way to our Wednesday morning, We're looking at clearing skies. Seven am. Temperature of fifty three. Now our Wednesday is going to be mostly sunny, a high though of just sixty eight at night, clear and much cooler. We're dropping down to forty three from your severe weather station. I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley, News Radio seven hundred WLW. Right now sixty two degrees.
Speaker 7: In Cincinnati, the driestate is facing what advocates call a historic low in foster parent numbers. Local agencies say homes in Greater Cincinnati are at capacity, and the shortage has intensified since abortion restrictions took effect.
Speaker 3: In Ohio.
Speaker 7: More than thirty three one thousand children are in care across the region, with some placed in group homes when foster families can't be found. Advocates say more families are needed to give kids stability and a safe place to grow and after more than a half a century away, the Children's Theater of Cincinnati is coming home. The company returns to the historic Historic Emery Theater this weekend after a two year, fifty million dollar renovation. The revamped space now features cutting edge technology, including a rotating stage lift and immersive lighting that surrounds the audience. The project also honors the theatre's history with design details that pay tribute to founder Mary Emery. The venue reopens on Friday with The Wizard of Oz Junior. Your next update is at one o'clock Breaking News anytime. I'm Travis Laird News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 11: WLW You ever wonder how far an EV can take you on one charge? Well, most people drive about forty miles rocking shirt. It's with Smart Haul from Progressive Insure.
Speaker 4: A variety of commercial vehicles from cars, pickup trucks, fans, trailers, semis, dump panto trucks and more.
Speaker 3: Learn more at Progressivecommercial dot com.
Speaker 4: Not available in all steeds or situations.
Speaker 12: Here's your trucking forecast the Try State and the rest of the country and the tri State. Every night mostly cloudy the low down to fifty three sunshine Wednesday, high of sixty nine Thursday through Sunday, sunny skies. Highs are in the upper sixties Thursday, with temperatures in the low to mid seventies Friday and into the weekend. Nationally, there was a thread of flash flooding over the Ohio Valley and Central Appalachians Tuesday and into the nighttime hours. Moisture from Hurricane Priscilla bringing thunderstorm chances to the Southwest and Four Corners region starting Thursday, bringing at the least an isolated threat of flash flooding.
Speaker 4: Seven hundred wlw IM Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 3: This is America's struck A network.
Speaker 4: If you miss any of our previous segments, the under of our shows hit up that iHeartRadio app brought to you by our friends at Rush Truck Centers. We're talking about this a particular story. Despite economic uncertainty, US auto sales rise in the third Core, and I want to re emphasize this particular comment in here. Duncan Aldred, president of GM's North American operations, said consumer sentiment appears to have improved in recent months now. A couple of weeks, about a week or so ago, University of Michigan came out with their Consumer Confidence Consumer Sentiment Report.
Speaker 3: There's two reports that come out.
Speaker 4: One is Consumer Sentiment from the Michigan the State University of Michigan and their reports. Then the Commerce Department comes out with Consumer another type, it's called Consumer Confidence, and the two come out within a few days of each other. Now, when you're talking about sentiment, and the University of Michigan goes out with these surveys and talks to people, and then based on that feedback, they come back and do this Consumer's Sentiment report. Now, if you've got ninety four percent of the news reports and on the economy being negative, that is going to affect your mindset. And so when somebody comes you know, you may be doing well. And there's years ago. Let mean back up here a second. Years ago, when they were talking about different congressional races and they were talking about the reelection and the incumbents versus somebody trying to unseat somebody. They said, you know, Congress is at a very low rating. I think back then it was in the thirties or maybe forties or whatever. They're way down now. But when you talk to people, they say, yeah, I don't have any confidence in Congress. Congress is a bunch of scoundrels, and I don't like them, and they're they're they're bad. But when it came to their own congressman, their ratings were high. So it's one of those weird situations where every district, every congressional district, people love their congressmen, but overall everybody hates Congress. So it's like the individual components don't match. So it's the same way with this. You may be feeling these people may be feeling confident about their own situation. They may be feeling comfortable about how they're spending their money, the money that they're making, and the security of their job. But because they keep hearing this constant drumby from January about Tariff's going to raise interest rate or inflation rate, is going to lead to a recession, people are going to be thrown out on the street and all kinds of dire consequences. Then they have this in the back of their mind and they're thinking, well, as far as my current situation is good, but I'm worried about my neighbor, I'm worried about the people down the street. I'm worried about this particular industry and all this, so my confidence.
Speaker 3: In the economy not very high.
Speaker 4: But if my confidence in my own economy, my individual economy is very high. And so you have all this negativity. And in here the person that on the street, you know where the rubber meets the road, got a little bit of pun intended here talking about auto sales rubber meat.
Speaker 3: In the road.
Speaker 4: The head of the president of GM's North American Operations, consumer sentiment appears to have improved in recent months, again contrary to what we are seeing from some of these other reports. I think stability, clarity, and lack of blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Hondai.
Speaker 4: North American American CEO Randy Parker expressed optimism about continued strong sales through the end of the year, pointing to recent interest rate cuts by the Federal Reserve. And those were minor interest rate cuts. If they were even more, if it was the half of percent that I've been calling for or the one percent that other people are calling for, imagine how the optimism with these car companies would be at that point. Cox's Automotive noticed sustained demand for mid sized crossovers and pickup trucks in September. However, Analyst Charlie Cheeseborough warned that new vehicle sales may decline in the coming months as automakers begin passing on increased costs to consumers. More tariff products are replacing existing inventory, and prices are expected to be pushed higher as automakers pass along higher costs on import costs which they haven't seen up to this point. Cox projects that I just added that little editorial on the end there. Cox expects General Motors will retain its top market share during the quarter, followed by Toyota, Teslas and so on. Toyta has not adjusted its production strategy in response to tariffs, and reported in August that it faces nine point five billion dollar impact from the levies. Damon Rose, head of Sales Toyota Brand, acknowledge the possibility of industry wide price hikes. We do think there'll be some industry price industry price increases. We've been monitoring and tracking that road. But from Toyota's perspective, we're going to be followers to that, not first movers. So they're holding off. They're worried about their market share. They're worried that if they raise their prices then other people will switch brands, and so they're not going to be the market leader in terms of raising these prices. They will be followers if other companies raise their prices, And if other companies are in the position that Toyota is and they're worried about their market share, then they will possibly be eating some more of these tariffs. The average retail price for new vehicles in September was projected to reach forty five thousand, seven hundred and ninety five dollars, up thirteen hundred dollars from the same period last year. In July and August, average year over year price increases were nine hundred and thirty eight to nine hundred and eighty five dollars, respectively.
Speaker 3: And they just.
Speaker 4: Dropped it there but filed away in my then told filing cabinet. I remember back when they were talking about all these different union contracts that were coming up.
Speaker 3: I've mentioned this before.
Speaker 4: We had the dock workers on the West coast, workers on the East coast all got substantial pay increases ups, their drivers got substantial pay increases. You have all of these different The railroad workers got paying massive pay increases. You had the UAW that got one of a major contract signing with the Big three. Remember they all went out Instead of going after each one of the individual companies individually, they decided, we're going to strike all three of the major automobile manufacturers and get one big, beautiful contract. That's not what they called it, but anyway, they wanted to get this one contract. And all the talk during that period of time. Once the dust settled and they got their contract, what did they say the average cost of the automobile based on the wages that were going to be paid to these workers, auto purchase prices will go up. Guess what, nine hundred dollars. So trying to pass this off on tariffs. No, as I've said before, if you look at what has been going on, and again I am not criticizing anybody that wants to make a decent living. If you know when you've got certain well, shoot, when you go back.
Speaker 3: To the Biden.
Speaker 4: Administration and when you had nine percent inflation in one month and four and five percent inflation during the time of his presidency, and people were still under the same contract before he went into office. They're losing money every year as a result of the price increases. So they're trying to get their wages back up to meet what they've lost over the last couple of years. Again, I don't fault somebody for doing that, but be honest about it. Don't blame it on tariffs, don't blame it on other factors, say what it actually comes from. We had the situation where we were looking at the inflation data, the fact that inflation numbers were coming up from the service sector, and the service sector is predicated on what wages, individual fees and stuff charged to the customers. It's not having anything to do with the tariffs. And what we were finding when we dug into the numbers there is that because the stock market has been doing so well, people have said, you know what, it's time for me to jump in. I'm kind of missing the boat here, so I'm going to jump into the stock market. And the fees went up as a result of the number and the volume of people going in to buy stocks, and so those prices went up and that added to inflation in that particular month. But everybody focused on the inflation increase as opposed to what the component of that was and the fact that service fees were going up because people were jumping into the market and the market was doing well, they were then making money off of those investments. That's a good thing, but it did cause a little problem as far as inflation that month. So again you got to put all these things in perspective and the fact that they just left this hanging of price increases were nine hundred and thirty eight dollars. Go back to the UAW contract and look at the things that were said then. They predicted then that this would add average value to the vehicle or cost to a vehicle of around nine hundred dollars. I'm Kevin Gordon. America's trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Running B by Mike CASHTREC Jeep in Fairfacts now recognized as the largest volume jeep dealer in Greater Cincinnati. In northern Kentucky, Mike Cash TRECJB is the number one jeep dealer in the tri State. That's Mike CASHTRECJB in Fairfax.
Speaker 4: This as americastruck a Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: I'm and Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 4: One of the stories that popped up over the last couple of days is, you know, with the government shutdown, we are now in day eight of the government shutdown, and just as a frame of reference, if you will, we go back to the length of these different shutdowns over the years, and it was interesting to look at some of the data on that, the fact that back during the Reagan administration, he was in office for eight years, there was a government shutdown every year.
Speaker 3: That he was in office. During George H. W.
Speaker 4: Bush, during that period of time he was in office for four years, there was one government shutdown. Bill Clinton's time in office, there were two government shutdowns over his eight year period of time. Barack Obama one government shutdown during his eight year term, and in the first first term of Donald Trump's presidency back in twenty sixteen through twenty twenty, there were two government shutdowns. And it's interesting that these shutdowns happened when there is in They just can't get together in terms of, you know, trying to allow anybody to get a win. And it appears that when the Democrats want to go on well like now, I mean, the demands that they have as far as this budget is concerned, is just absolutely outrageous. The fact that they want to provide and they want to have and they keep saying health care for Americans, No, the health care for Americans is taken care of. What they want to do is add more in there for some of these people that are not legal citizens. And by putting this burden on the American people, this is going to cause a problem. And rather than address that through other measures, they're trying to cram this in as part of the health Let's just get into some of the numbers here. But again, it's interesting that during Bill Clinton's time, and this was during a period of time that the shutdown was twenty one days during the Clinton years, that this was where the Clinton mentioned that the era of big government is over. That was during that period of time where they actually balance the budget as a result of the Republicans at the time kind of reining in some of his liberal policies that would have added to the debt. So these are the kinds of things that need to be worked out, But you don't pile a million one point five trillion.
Speaker 3: More dollars on our debt for all.
Speaker 4: These wishful thinking and stuff from the Democrats that they want to push into these bills. We need to get our house in order, and some of these cuts need to take place. But again, with these cuts and with these government shutdowns.
Speaker 3: This is affecting the.
Speaker 4: Trucking industry or the Department of Transportation, and some of the stuff that's going on there kind of run through some of this.
Speaker 3: We're into that day. We're into the days of the eighth day.
Speaker 4: As I mentioned of the federal shutdown, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, with jurisdiction over trucking Transportation quote, has sufficient balances of liquidating cash to operate during the short term lapse of annual operations, according to the guidance document the Department published on September thirtieth. Federal Highway Administration, which manages freight and commuter corridors, also has sufficient liquidating funds to continue as normal during this lapse. Both agencies. I mentioned this the other day. Both agencies are primarily backed by the Highway Trust Fund Accounts, which operates through the revenue generated via the twenty four point four cent per gallon diesel tax and eighteen point four cent per gallon gasoline tax. None of the workforce at these agencies of one thousand eighty four staffers at FMCSA and twenty six two hundred at Federal Highway Administration will be furloughed I question, why are these other government agencies funded out of federal income taxes? And these people when we were told that these gasoline taxes would go into effect years ago, that this gasoline tax was going to be collected so that we could maintain and rebuild and build new roads for the highway people that use it.
Speaker 3: In other words, it's a user fee.
Speaker 4: You're not going if you're not using gasoline, you're not going to be paying that gasoline tax, which means that if you're not using the highways, you're not going to be buying gas.
Speaker 3: So it is a user fee.
Speaker 4: Why are those user fees that are supposed to be replacing the roads keeping them from being deteriorated? And I know you've been out there and driving these roads. I know you're out on the freeway. I know that just the area where I live, how crappy area roads are, how bumpy they are, how how many potholes there are, how many times this you know you have to It's almost like you've got to sneak your way through a particular set of streets in order to avoid potholes. Our roads are deteriorating, and yet we don't have the funding mechanism in there to prevent and and look at the look at the wear and tear on your trucks. You know, you're hitting these roads. I mean you're you're hitting these potholes, You're hitting some of the crappy roads that are out there. Yet we have the mechanism that was supposed to fund that, but out of that, we're funding other things that are not highway related. And it's just irritating me that that that keeps going on. Other agencies within an Apartment of Transportation, Uh, they will be furlowing people.
Speaker 3: One of the areas that they talked about.
Speaker 4: Department of Transportation emphasizes the essential personnel, such as, now, these are essential personnel, right when you have government shutdowns, it's not it's the non essential peace people that are generally furloughed, and they are furloughed without pay until the government shutdown is over. Then they come back and they get their back pay because that contractor that money would be appropriated from the beginning of the fiscal year up to this point, so they get that money back. Essential workers generally get paid. Department emphasized that essential personnels such as air Traffic Control Service will continue to report to work during the shutdown, as well as partners from other agencies such as Transportation, Security Administration. However, these people are gonna be going to work without pay. Now we have Congress who are in my opinion, are they essential workers or non essential workers? But sure as hell they're gonna get paid while the government is shut down. Whether they're in session or not, they're gonna get paid. This is one of those things about the Congress that really irritates me. They always set these rules for you and me, but they don't abide by the same rules. If they're none are they essential, then they should be there negotiating and getting this budget done. You've got the entire year to get the budget done, and you wait till the last minute. I would say, if that's the case, they're non essential and they shouldn't get paid. If they're not getting paid, I damn sure know that they're going to come.
Speaker 3: To a resolution in a big hurry.
Speaker 4: Also, we talk about the Affordable Care Act Obamacare and all this sort of stuff. Guess who's exempted from that. They've got their own insurance that they have, but that's not okay. That's okay for them, but we have to go under the Obamacare, which is less and not as good as quality care and as good of insurance policy as the Congress has. So they're not subject to the laws that they force on us, the mandates and so on. They're all taken care of, so they don't have to go to work. They can shut the government down, still get paid, They can still get their health healthcare because they're outside the system, they don't have to rely on Obamacare.
Speaker 3: They have their own standalone system. And yet we peons out.
Speaker 4: Here have to deal with the problems and the inefficiencies of this government. Again, the breakdown has to do with health care and accounts for immigration stat based on immigration status. That seems to be the biggest sticking point as far as the negotiations are concerned. And yet on and on and on. National Retail Federation said, we urge Congress to swiftly to reopen the federal government. With a holiday season fast approaching, the economic uncertainty caused by a government shutdown, there's your government under your economic uncertainty right there, my friends.
Speaker 3: With the government.
Speaker 4: Shutdown is both unnecessary and damaging, further eroding consumer confidence at a critical time. While retailers face many external challenges, beyond the control of policymakers.
Speaker 3: This is not one of them.
Speaker 4: A shutdown is avoidable, and his impact is entirely within the power of Congress to resolve that. From the National Retail Federation, well, folks, we're up against clock. Time for a scoot out the door. Stay tuned for red Eye Radio. At the top the hour, I'm Kevin Gordon, America's struck In Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: One week until the government shutdown and not a move was made, but the top of the hour reports I'm Lee Mallin breaking now.