Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're Gay running back to.
Speaker 1: Get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Last day, we are live at Rogers Center in Toronto, where the Dodgers have won the first five games of this road trip, including the first two games of this series against the Blue Jays tonight, the final score four to one at Rogers Center.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until eight thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA. Sports phone lines are open at eight sixty six nine eight seven. If you missed the game and the show last night, you missed a fourteen to two win by the Dodgers going away and tonight there was a little bit more of a baseball game tonight. The Blue Jays put together a rally in the sixth inning that only produced one run their only run of the game, and in the seventh inning they had the bases loaded with nobody out and Alex Vesia was able to get out of it. And we'll hear from Edwin Diaz a little bit later in the show. I caught up with him after the game and we'll share what he had to say about what Vesia and Blake Trinon did in front of him. And Diaz recorded his fourth save as a Dodger, striking out the side. So a big night for the Dodger bullpen, a big night again for the eight to nine hitters for the Dodgers, as they continue to be a big part of this offense that has scored forty nine runs in the first five games of this road trip. Tonight, Hay Sunk, Kim and Alex Friedland combined to score all four runs for the Dodgers. It was a big night for Freeland, who had three hits, scored twice, and drove in a run. He was part of the chaos in the ninth inning where he put the ball in play, did not allow Jeff Hoffman to strike him out as he did to Muncie and Kim, so Freeland put the ball in play wide right of Vladimir gro Junior, who got to it. Jeff Hoffman in through behind Jeff Hoffman who was covering first base. The catcher there Valenzuela, Brandon Valenzuela was doing his job backing up the play and he was able to stop the ball, but for some reason decided to throw errantly to first base and it went into right field and Freeland was standing at second base. As far as Kim goes, he also had a good game and affected the game in the fifth inning when Kevin Gossman walked him and then bocked him.
Speaker 3: To second base.
Speaker 2: The home played umpire, Dan Merzl claimed that Gossman never came to a complete stop and called a bock and Kim speed obviously weighing on Gossman maybe sped him up right there, Probably sped him up right there, and Kim was standing at second. Freeland drove him in for you know, a big run right there, and John Schneider before Freeland.
Speaker 3: Was able to drive in.
Speaker 2: Kim after the bock was called, really made his case be known to the home played umpire, and he was thrown out. I mean he was he was closer to the home played umpire's face than I am to chicken nachos at a sports bar. That's how close he was to his face right there. Eight six six nine seven two seventy is the phone number coming up. Later in the show, we'll get into, you know, the Kim versus Freeland competition.
Speaker 3: It's real.
Speaker 2: With Tommy Edmond on the horizon to return, Mookie Betts was out here doing some infield drills, so he's not going to be out that long, it appears. So these two guys are again back where they were in spring training because Kim, in his first two games since being called up, has made a huge impact defensively and offensively. So Freeland understands what's going on here, and he responded tonight with three runs or three hits and two runs in an RBI. The reason why Hayes on Kim was starting tonight, He was not originally in the starting lineup tonight, but about thirty minutes forty minutes before first pitch, the Dodgers scratched Miguel Rojas, and we're all wondering, oh, no, is this armhard after pitching last night?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately we don't know the details, but Dave Roberts let the reporters know after the game that Miguel Rojas is dealing with a family matter, and they are uncertain how much time Rojas is going to miss, so they're not calling up another player for the last game of the road trip in Canada. They're just going to play a man short tomorrow. And we all send our prayers and thoughts with Miguel Rojas and his family. We hope that he returns to the team soon, which means hopefully things work out with whatever family matter he is dealing with. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Felix in San Diego. You're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi.
Speaker 3: Felix.
Speaker 5: Hey, what's going on, man, first time calling for the season.
Speaker 6: So but I've been listening to you down.
Speaker 3: Here, love it, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 5: I gotta quick yeah, man, for sure, I got a quick question, and I just want to see what you have to.
Speaker 6: Say about with Rushing playing as well as he's been playing. Mind you, it's not just just what's been going on recently, but I know Rushing. Is there any talk that there's the easy air apparent at first base? That's my first question. My second question is are the same thing with the rushing? Is Freeland the air apparent at third? And the last question I have is with tail being on team control for two more years, potentially, is that Tibbs hope or to Poli's position.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're throwing a lot at me, Felix. Let's start with the first one. Dalton Rushing, you know, coming into the season, was fully aware that he is not just going to catch, but get opportunities when Freddie Freeman is given a day off reluctantly, or if there's a chance to get Freddie off his feet in a game, they may go with rushing. So and today Ddy Freeman was taking ground balls at first base, and who was behind him taking ground balls as well at first base? Dalton Rushing. So yeah, definitely you're going to see rushing at first base? Is he the air apparent to Freddie Freeman? Freddy Freeman's a future Hall of Famer. He's got this year and next year under contract with the Dodgers. So we'll see what happens after next year. We'll see how this season plays out. But yeah, rushing is an insurance policy and a big one behind the plate. And at first base. As far as Freeland being the air apparent of Max Munsey, I don't see that happening. I don't see Freeland being an everyday player from what I've seen so far. But it's early in his career. And as far as Taoscar Hernandez, he's thirty three years old, he's in great condition, he's starting to heat up. Eventually, these young outfielders are going to have to play, and eventually some of these older players that are under contract are may retire, move on.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't see.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get into that, but yeah, TIBs is definitely I would say Tibbs is the first in line.
Speaker 3: How about that, Felix.
Speaker 5: That's a great answer.
Speaker 6: And the only reason why I'm asking you is just with all the you.
Speaker 5: Know, with the deadline and whatnot and trade speculations, I just really hope, and I'm a thousand percent on board with these guys doing the front office, I just don't I hope, I really hope that we don't lose this farm system, that the potent, you know, the top the top ten prospects just for trade baked.
Speaker 2: Well, that's part of being a minor league. Player and being a GM it's not just about developing players to help you wearing your own uniform. The stakes are really high with the Dodgers as long as Otani is on this team, Felix. It's not like, hey, let's give three or four kids a chance to play. No, it's win now. So when you're in that mode during this era of Otani Dodger baseball, Uh, that's what you should expect, where you sprinkle in guys for depth, but you use some of those guys to make trades to get proven players that can get you over the top.
Speaker 5: I got you, man, I gotcha.
Speaker 7: Well go Blue, all.
Speaker 2: Right, thanks, Felix, Thanks for the phone call. Good phone call, good questions. Yeah, at this point in time, with Otani, the Dodgers coming off back to back championships, the window of opportunity for Mookie Freddie taoskar Otani, Will Smith for that matter, thirty one years old and the prime of his career is now. The Dodgers are not in the business of giving four or five rookies opportunities to see whether or not they can play.
Speaker 3: That's not this time. You may see.
Speaker 2: Some young minor league players like we have seen in the past traded because there's nowhere for them to play in the foreseeable future, and the Dodgers can trade them to help an area of need to try to three peat this year or reload for next year. So that's the reality of where the Dodgers are, and that's the reality of a farm system. A farm system isn't just to help you have players to play for your team. It's to draft and develop to possibly get you a proven player that you need to get over the hump. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I mentioned that the Dodgers' eight nine hitters tonight scored all four runs. I talked about this with Jose Motor last night. I talked about it on Dodger Talk on this road trip, and I think it needs to really have a light shined on it because in twenty twenty four, the seven eight nine hitters for the Dodgers were so pesky and created so many opportunities for Otani, for Mookie, for Freddie Freeman. In twenty four last year, not so much. And I feel like that's part of the reason why the Dodger offense stalled out the second half, especially last year. Because the seven eight nine hitters got on base at a two to ninety four clip coming into tonight. The first ten games of the year, the Dodgers seven eight nine hitters are hitting three point fifty eight and on base percentage of four h two and a slugging percentage of basically six hundred coming into tonight. And they added to that with the way Freeland played tonight with three hits and Kim getting on base, and those two guys the eight to nine hitters, scoring all four Dodger runs tonight. It's not a coincidence that the bottom of the order is creating a lot. Andy pat has included Santiago, Espinal, Dalton, rushing, Alex Freeland. All these guys in different points in time are keeping the line moving and turning the lineup over and getting on base. I asked Dave Roberts about that before the game today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if you look at what sort of makes our offense goes, If those guys are getting on base, for the top we'll create, we're gonna score some runs. And you know, Alex has taking good at bats, He's still finding ways to get on base. For me getting call in there obviously, Hey Song yesterday, and so you know, absolutely it's a big part of what we need to do. And to those guys credit, they're they're taking good at bats and doing their jobs.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you feel like there's better options and it's a better mix just one through nine and seven through.
Speaker 8: Nine, I do, I do, you know, And Andy quite frankly isn't a nine hole hitter, and so having him sort of out of that nine hole, I think he is making him better. But also I do think that the roster we have, you know, this year, has lent us off to getting on base and hopefully getting on base more for you know, show hey, and you know Tucker.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts there you go. It matters, and you saw that in the ninth inning. Freeland kept the inning alive by putting the ball in play and Tucker drove in a huge insurance run for that ninth inning as the Dodgers beat the Blue Jays tonight four to one. Let's go out to Hollywood, Nick, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Toronto.
Speaker 3: Hi, Nick, what's going on?
Speaker 7: Dave?
Speaker 9: Nice to Trounce on Toronto just a little bit more.
Speaker 3: But I'm just.
Speaker 10: Calling because Yoshi looked great today, got a little sticky there in the sixth, but you know, Doca had confidence let him get through it and was able to get into the seventh.
Speaker 9: Do you think that that's just like a Yoshi thing as far as confidence letting them go deeper into the games and get out of situations, or do you think that's like a change in philosophy. And we're going to see Glass now actually like sniff a seventh inning at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, first and foremost, Yamamoto has that trust. You saw what he did in the postseason last year. He had two complete games, and we all know the heroics of the World Series. But Dave Roberts even talked about this before the game. There's kind of a shift in philosophy in the game of baseball. We're going back to starters, not just getting through the first two times of the order, but actually, if you're good enough, staying in the game. And that's what Andrew Friedman and Brandon Gomes has said. If they have starters good enough to do it, they are going to let them ride. And I feel like this is the year Tyler Glass now takes another big step. I'm a big buyer in Glass now stock in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Hard to believe, but I am nice.
Speaker 9: If he could just keep his shirt on, I think we'll be in good place.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: WHOA Okay, Nick, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just Yamamoto has proven that he can do this, and uh, he's the World Series MVP. He was under ninety pitches going into the seventh inning, So all those reasons was why Dave Roberts sent him back out there. And uh, as far as Glass now goes, see, everybody wants to just talk in generalities about starters going deeper into games, but they're not. You can't do that because the game dictates it, pitch count dictates it, high stress innings dictate each individual start.
Speaker 3: But resume does mean something.
Speaker 2: Trust in that picture means something, And Dave Roberts has a lot of trust in Yamamoto. He had a lot of trust in blake'snew last year when he came back. And uh, I feel like the trust for Tyler Glass noow is growing from Dave Robert's side. Now as far as Roki Sasaki goes or Emit Shean goes to start the year, I would venture to say the trust is not where it is for Yamamoto, Glass Now Otani, and Blake Snell. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Blue Jays tonight four to one, and speaking up Blake Snell, he is going to throw two live bps when the Dodgers return home and from there probably go out on a rehab assignment. And I've always said over under on Snell making his season debut Sinko de mayo, So right around mid May is when I believe he'll come back. Let's go out to Paul in Oceanside. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 4: Paul, Hi, David, thank you for your work.
Speaker 11: Really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. Thank you, Paul.
Speaker 4: I have a question for you regarding sort of Rory Sasaki and when whether or not, like Yamamoto and Otani, when they're in the dugouts, do they offer him any advice or is it more Japanese culture to just you know, let everyone on their own, Like when when he comes off the mound and he might be struggling, does Samamotos say, hey, hammer the strike song more or do they just not talk like that?
Speaker 3: I have a funny story for you, Paul.
Speaker 2: During the NLDS, when Roki Sasaki was becoming the Dodger closer and rescuing them in that series, I asked him what Otani has told him? And you know what he told me. He said, all Otani has asked me is when I'm pitching again. So there's not a lot of dialogue between those those two. With Roki, I would say that Otani, now that he's pitching and hitting, he doesn't have a lot of time to mentor there's just not enough hours in the day. But it would be wise for Roki to tap into Yamamoto for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yamamoto, the monster God, what a great pitcher. Okay, well, thank you for your insight, Dave.
Speaker 12: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Paul, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we'll see Roki Sasaki on the next homestand and hopefully he can build on his last start. Don't believe what you read where just because he's learning this new pitch, a third pitch that you need as a starting pitcher, as you know, the cutter, slash slider taken away the feel of his forkball, splitter or fastball velocity. Don't believe it because I talked to Mark Pryor and he said he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't believe that.
Speaker 2: He concedes that certain pitches, like the cut fastball, if you threw it too much back when that pitch was in vogue, Yeah, it would take away some velocity from your fastball. But do we know how hard Roki Sasaki throws? Now we've seen one hundred, we've seen ninety two, we saw ninety six. Does anybody really know how hard he throws consistently? So to make that leap of a conclusion, it's a little premature and a little short sighted. So that's what Mark Pryor told me, And just keep that in mind in the next next Sasaki start eight six six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: We have two lines open.
Speaker 2: When we continue live from Rogers Center in Toronto, we'll take more of your phone calls. We'll hear from Edwin Sugar Diaz after his fourth save of the year. And I want to get to since we're here in Toronto and reflecting on the glory of the Dodgers winning two elimination games, including a Game seven here, there was such a pivotal play in the eighth inning of Game seven that nobody talks about. I want to share that with you as well, and how that was a huge miscalculation that played into the Dodgers' hands. So a lot more Dodger talked to get to until the bottom of the hour live from Rogers Center in Toronto after the Dodgers defeat the Blue Jays four to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 13: Dodgers threatening here in the top with the third to break the ice, Gossman's one A old Tani rifles on the right field.
Speaker 3: Back at the wall. It's off the top of the wall.
Speaker 13: Kim's gonna score running from first to third is freeland. That was a long and loud single for old Tani and it drives in the very first run of the ball game.
Speaker 3: One nothing Dodgers show.
Speaker 2: Hey Otani, Tomorrow's starting pitcher, drives in the first Dodger run on their way to a four to one win behind a well pitched game by Yoshinobu Yamamoto. The Dodgers defeat the Blue Jays four to one in the second game of this three game series, coming off scoring fourteen runs last night against Toronto in a fourteen to two win.
Speaker 3: Daniel S.
Speaker 2: Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com, use the keyword home run and enter your name. You could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. After the game, we had a chance to catch up with Edwin Diaz, who got in a little bit of a jam, but he found a way to get the swinging mens struck out the side for his fourth save as a Dodger.
Speaker 14: I think we got we we won the game right there. We won the game right there. I think Bestia came in a big situe.
Speaker 3: I set it down.
Speaker 14: He got this heero for us, and then Blake came came after him, and I did my job. You'll win the game.
Speaker 2: Can you feel the effect you have on those guys in the bullpen already?
Speaker 14: You know we are a family.
Speaker 3: Over there.
Speaker 14: You know, I think every every single guy in our boardman can do that job. We are pitching really good, we throwing the ball really good, you know, Jos, I think everyone in the boardpen. So I'm really happy for everyone. But you have to give continue working to staying to like a family. And at the other day we got good result like today.
Speaker 2: How about the defense behind you, Tucker holding the runner at third base? How much did that change what you did against Hannaman.
Speaker 14: You know, I knew I knew Honeyman's coming behind him, So Talker did a great throw.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 14: I tried to call it because I told the runner scored. But then I look, I saw that run out of their bed. I said, okay, let's let's finish him all right here. You know, a guy coming from the bench goal away. We go with my best pitches, my fastball. I was trying to strike him out like I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah before I let you go.
Speaker 2: Uh, this offense scoring double digits three or four times already on this road trip.
Speaker 3: How are you staying ready? They don't need you every night.
Speaker 14: You know it's good. You know we need our offerings get going because we come sometimes. Guy like we got we had to pitch. So it's it's an offense. Stay like that, we will we will win a lot of games. But it's if he's like today, a boot pen will do a job. You know, a model did a great job and the boot pen, the rest of the woodpen did a great job. So that's a big win for us.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, thanks for stopping. And you had the real hat on today.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I got that real one today.
Speaker 2: Thanks ed Win Sugar Diaz, great guy, great smile. And in case you didn't know what we were talking about, are referencing right there. Uh before the game, Edwin Diaz, who comes out to throw, had his Dodger hat on, but the bill of the cap cut off, so it looked like a skull cap, but it wasn't. It was a Dodger game hat that he cut off. And I guess the idea was from Tanner. Scott just started to do it ed when Diaz did it. Miguel Rojas had one on as well. Not all the relievers are all in on that. I don't think it's turning into a thing. But yeah, that's what we were referencing. Since he came out with a hat with no bill before the game today, eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Indianapolis. Jack listening on the iHeartRadio app. How you doing Jack?
Speaker 12: Great?
Speaker 15: Ding dong?
Speaker 3: Hey, that's my guy Conway. How you doing good, buddy?
Speaker 12: Hey, I really enjoy you. Listened to you a lot.
Speaker 7: Noo.
Speaker 12: Dodge's played a good game tonight is solid game, and I was I think the guy who's really going about his business quietly is Kyle Tucker offensively and defensively.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: How about this tonight he had three strikeouts coming into his ninth thingy at bat and then he drives in a big insurance run. Don't discount that part. And on this road trip he's had really good at bats. I know his teammates are really impressed seeing him every day, the quality of at bats that he has.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I like him. I think he's gonna fit in the right field. We had some issues in right field last year. I think he's good defensively. I thinks we're playing solid baseball right now.
Speaker 3: I agree. Jack.
Speaker 2: When you're winning five in a row and scoring forty nine runs during a five game winning streak on your first road trip of the season, and it being on the East Coast not a bad way to start your road season. The Dodgers have won five in a row, they have scored forty nine runs, and have improved their record to nine and two. I'm not a big standings guy after eleven games, but this does need to be acknowledged that in the NL West, the Dodgers are the only team above five hundred. Yeah, the Dodgers are nine and two. The Padres are five and six, so are the Diamondbacks, so are the Rockies, and the Giants, led by a college baseball coach, are in last place three and eight, losers of four in a row, seven of their last ten, they're already six games back of the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers aren't even hitting on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: Yet they're doing all this without Tommy Edman, without Blake Snell, and now without Mookie Betts, and they're nine and two.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I'm not a big standings guy.
Speaker 2: But when you start this hot and the rest of the division is that cold, all of a sudden, you might have a double digit lead that's impossible to overcome. And here's something to consider. The last team to go first place and win the World Series start to finish the nineteen ninety Reds. There's no other team that I can think of, unless it was the twenty four Dodgers. The twenty four Dodgers then did that, and before them, the ninety ninety Reds did that as well, so we may see that again considering the start the Dodgers are off to compared to the rest of the division. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. Let's go back out to the phones. James in North Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Rogers Center.
Speaker 15: Hi James, Hey, David, special guests in my car today. My parents are in town from New Jersey and we're gonna see the Dodgers on Saturday. There last night in town. I'm very excited to show him Dodgers Stadium for a great game. And I'm especially excited because look at how our quote unquote other guys bottom of the lineup were doing. I mean, it's great to see Rushings back come to life, knowing that you know, he was hitting so well down in the minors, and good to see Alex Shrieland get some knocks and Alex call doing his thing when he's called upon, and then they have a guy like Espinal that can play all over the infield. I mean, you got to agree that these guys would be starters on three quarters of the other Major League teams.
Speaker 2: Rushing, for sure would be Call was a starter for the Nationals. And he's a guy that his game plays better on a winning team than on a team like the Nationals. And you saw that in the last two games of that series there. Yeah, the Dodgers have a lot of depth. And think about this. At the end of last year, Dave Roberts did not have many options on his bench. He had out Call, he had Justin Dean, and he had Hayesung Kim. This year he has guys like Rushing, Espinal, the guys you mentioned Freeland, And that's even without keyk Hernandez, without Tommy Edmund and for the time being in the short term, Miguel Rojas and Mookie Betts. So they're in a way better spot in the bottom of the order and with their uh with the with their bench.
Speaker 15: Hey, David, can I ask you about Kim. I know that he's still working on swing stuff. You know, when he was down in Triple A but with his speed, with his defense. I mean, don't you how do you feel about him versus Freeland? When say Edmund or key k get back, if you had to pick one, who would you pick?
Speaker 16: And why?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. The versatility, the speed. If I'm looking for the last man on the bench, I would say Kim. I would say Kim would fit my bench better. Uh as the last bench player?
Speaker 15: Me too, well, David, thanks for taking the call. They always talk about calling in. My dad and stepmom are sitting here next to me and they got to check out a g Or and Eve live on the radio with a meat chatting.
Speaker 2: With you all right, Thanks James, And uh, yeah you didn't choke with your with your parents in the car.
Speaker 3: Good job there, he goes.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, James, a loyal listener. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Blue Jays tonight four to one.
Speaker 3: Now. I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Get to this because since we are in Toronto, and I know some players have told me to turn the page, but I can't turn the page. Here at Rogers Center in Toronto, where the Dodgers gave us memories to last a lifetime. In last year's World Series, a play that people fail to realize and in my I've talked to people around the league that have brought this to my attention. In the eighth inning of Game seven, you have had Ernie Clement on second base and there was nobody out, and the Blue Jays at that time were leading four to three.
Speaker 3: With nobody out.
Speaker 2: In the eighth inning leadoff double by Ernie Clement, the Dodgers bring in Blake Snell to replace Emmit Shean, and Andres Jimenez was at the plate in the eighth inning. This is one of the key plays that could have just sealed the win, the World Series win for the Blue Jays if they would have kept the play on and if Jimenez would have been able to execute the play. Nobody out runner at second Jimenez at the bottom of the order, a left handed hitter, had the bunt on, and then they took the bunt off on the next pitch and Max Munsey was in on the grass still expecting Jimenez to bunt the runner to third base and if they get that insurance run in, it slights out for the Dodgers, But instead Jimenez was swinging away one.
Speaker 13: And one, freeman creeping in. Snell comes home and mensot to the third line to Munsie and back to the bag is Clement. That was a hot liner to Munsie who was on the grass at third, and Max exhaling big because he was perfectly position mode to make that catch. But it was coming at the tower in a hurry.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, just a little bit off to his left, his dinner right between his eyes.
Speaker 2: Max Munsey is one of the most unappreciated players that the Dodgers had last year, and he doesn't get enough credit for the pivotal part he played in the Dodgers being able to come back in Game seven of last year's World Series. Not only his solo home run in the sixth or seventh inning of Game seven to cut it to a one run game, but that play right there, that's not an easy play. They call it the hot corner for a reason, And if you go back and look at the replay, even months he's like, whoa, that came at me hot. It actually came at him ninety six miles an hour off the bat with the infield in.
Speaker 3: He's on the grass.
Speaker 2: It's not like he's back so ninety six off the bat where he was playing was over one hundred miles an hour, and Rick Monday's right, he was very fortunate the ball was hit where it was hit and he was able to, you know, just keep his glove there and catch the ball. But that was a huge miscalculation by John Schneider to take the bun off. And people around the league still come up to me this day and say, man, can you believe they didn't keep the bun on? And they took it off and Snell got out of the jam right there in the eighth inning and the rest is history. As they say, when you talk to your friends about key moments in Game seven, there was so many. That was a huge one, and Max Munsey, along with Will Smith and Miguel Rojas a huge part offensively and defensively to help the Dodgers win Game seven of last year's World Series. Eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number? Did you even realize that play? Have you forgotten about that play? Because there's so many You have to rewatch that game seven a million times and just see different little things that change the trajectory of the game, not just the obvious moments. But dang, I feel a lot better getting that off my chest. Let's go out to Manhattan Beach.
Speaker 3: Ken. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Ken?
Speaker 11: I didn't good to talk to you. I was the saying when you were talking about the pictures getting extended, you know, for mornings, and I think that's great, But then you mentioned Tyder Glass now and thinking back in history, he always had to sort of like imploded after one hundred and twenty something innings for his season. That's his history. So I'm just wondering why you might be so you know, high on him extending himself, but he might shoot all the bullets up, you know, fairly pretty quickly. If you go with more innings, lets something change with his program?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair point, because the most starts he's made in a season was with the Dodgers, when he made twenty two starts and was an All Star in twenty twenty four, and then again the second half it started to fall apart on him physically and mentally to a certain extent. I just feel like mentally he's in a different spot. And Chris Archer told us, who's you know one of his former teammates with the Rays and now a special assistant with the Dodgers, and knows him better than most that he got more physical during the offseason and he feels like he's in a better spot endurance wise, mentally, physically, with all that to be able to have a healthier season and exceed.
Speaker 3: What he has.
Speaker 2: Done in his career when it comes to not just being a first half pitcher.
Speaker 11: Right, all right, how many seasons has he got in now?
Speaker 2: Though, Uh, he's got a lot, But this is his third year with the Dodgers, and he's done things that he's never done before in his career with the Dodgers, including being a relief pitcher in Game six to close out that win and force the game seven.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I think that's great. I think it goes, you know, deeper into games. That's great for everybody. But you know, Jerry would be out until he could show that he's got these second half you know, Yeah, you got to prove.
Speaker 3: It, You got to prove it. You're right.
Speaker 2: But I feel more confident that he will prove it this year than in any of the previous two seasons. And don't discount the confidence he got being such a big part of the pitching staff in the postseason last year as a starter and as a reliever.
Speaker 3: He has said that. Dave Roberts has said that.
Speaker 2: Chris Archer said that as well him coming out of the bullpen in Game six and being a starter in the World Series in the postseason, when you move it to yourself that you can do things that you never thought you could. Uh, these are professional athletes. They're not widgets, they're not video games. They're actual human beings. And even as great as they are, when you push yourself to the limits and you win and you succeed, Uh, that doesn't just go away.
Speaker 11: Okay, Well, help to talk at the end of the year and see that all came to happen.
Speaker 2: All right, Ken, thank you for the phone call. Say how to Eric Carros out there in Manhattan Beach for me. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I was as skeptical as anybody with a glass now in his history, But in spring training, I'm telling you he was a different guy, a different mentality, and he just seems better equipped to go out there and not pull any kind of abbreviated starts or the second half of the year, start to feel any little thing that you know, gets in his head and derails his season. But I agree, you got you got to prove it because there is a track record here. But I feel like what he did in the postseason last year is going to carry over into this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made the All Star team again this year. Let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight. Matthew in Redondo Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hiding.
Speaker 16: Dave, I want to talk about Andy Tajz. I mean, he's not only on fire this year. Last year he was a top thirty in my opinion player in the whole league, twenty seven home runs strong average in a year where average was very hard to come by. Not many players hit above to seventy last year.
Speaker 7: Not many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, the average it's hard to come by. And he played a great center field last.
Speaker 7: Year, amazing center field. But we're talking about all right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Before and I think it's gonna take the next step.
Speaker 7: He's a long time Dodger. As he came up, and he was he was racking up thirty five home runs a year in the minors for our team. This is our guy, this is our Dodger home.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he's off to a great start. Matthew, thank you for the phone call. Appreciated. Say how to everybody at Chillbacks for me. All right, that'll do it for us Tonight on Dodger Talk, thanks for listening. Tomorrow show, Hey Otani on the Mount as the Dodgers look to go undefeated on this East Coast road trip. He's facing former padre Dylan Sees, who the Blue Jays handed over two hundred million dollars to during this offseason. It'll be Otani against Seas. Remember it was ceased that was one of the padres key Padres that imploded during the twenty twenty four NLDS. Our coverage begins tomorrow at eleven am. First pitch on Getaway Day at twelve oh seven as the Dodgers look for the sweep. Thanks to calling ye back at our Burdbanks Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Rogers Center in Toronto, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can find our pregame conversation with today's starter Yoshi Yamamoto, who won after going six plus innings. Tonight, as the Dodgers defeat the Blue Jays four to one. Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: See y