Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: We're back. The Dodgers are back, and the manager's Meeting presented by Downy Hyundai is back as well as the Dodgers get set for the three game series at Yankee Stadium. And I'm here with the man that has so many good memories being back at this new Yankee Stadium, and that's the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Oh Dave Man.
Speaker 1: I feel refreshed, recharged, and we certainly do have a lot of great members here at this new Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 2: Some of your players told me not to get too nostalgic, but it's hard not to the last time we were here, I remember before Game five talking to you outside of the doors of the clubhouse, and who could forget your trust and Blake Trinan, your trust in Walker Buehler. Do some of those memories start to flood back?
Speaker 3: They do?
Speaker 1: They do, And yeah, you just look back and kind of here and the stink stakes certainly aren't as high, and kind of going back to what Blake Tryning did, what Walker Bueller did, the mindset of closing these guys out in Game five of the World Series and how Game five started. So many great memories and it's hard not to be nostalgic.
Speaker 2: One of the images that go through my mind is when you're going out to the mound to get the temperature of Blake trying and Freddie Freeman waving you off and you just wanted to gauge where everybody was. What stood out to you about leaving trining in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I went out there and I just wanted to get his pulse, told him he had one more hitter, wanted to slow the game down, look into his eyes, put my hands on him, and then gets the hit her out and then at that point in time, I was going to go get him. And then that's when Freddie was kind of like waving me off, shoeing me off. And I'm happy I listened to him, because you know, I said he was going to get one hitter. I didn't want to bait and swim. It's Blake. But at that point in time, he didn't look at me, because if he was going to look at me after he got that hitter, I was gonna get him. But and I've talked to him and laugh with Blake after the fact, said I was gonna make eye contact with you once I got that guy out because I wanted the next guy, and he ended up getting stanned.
Speaker 2: I've never asked you this before, but Daniel Hudson we all know now got hurt warming up in the bullpen that night in Game five. If he doesn't get hurt, does anything change.
Speaker 3: You know what? No?
Speaker 1: Because to be quite honest, I didn't even know he was hurt. And so it's funny is that as it played out, I stuck with Blake, didn't know Huddy was hurt. Walker was going to have that inning, and then my hope was that Huddy would be the guy if we didn't win it there, But if it would have prolonged the game, I don't know what we would have done, to be quite honest, Hey, you.
Speaker 2: Bet on your players, like you talk about, and they delivered for you. That was a special time.
Speaker 1: No, they did, and I think you know, we all make mistakes and learn from things.
Speaker 3: And so the one thing.
Speaker 1: That I do know is that you know you've got to trust your players, bet on your players, certainly in those biggest spots.
Speaker 2: Manager Dave Roberts three times World Series winning manager for the Dodgers. Is our guest to head a first pitch between the Dodgers and Yankees, presented by Downy Hunday. All right, let's fast forward to the here and now. Show heyl Tani's in your starting lineup. When do you anticipate him pitching again?
Speaker 1: Well, right now, he's slated for Wednesday, and so right now it's good that you know he can get here from the break, play cash, we can put eyes on them, see ice progressing. Expect him to be in the lineup all three games, and I should have a bullpen here over the weekend. And like I said, as we sit here right now, he's going to start on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Hey, it works out this first Wednesday. You got a day off on Thursday.
Speaker 3: No, that's right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So you know for show, Hey, you know potentially it's the Wednesday, then you get the off day, so he'll be in a good spot.
Speaker 2: When you look at your team. Obviously, it kind of feels like a lifetime ago, those last three games at home against Arizona. Do you feel like this is a new start to the season in some respects And whatever took place there was, whatever the feelings we're going into the.
Speaker 1: Break, I do I think then, and I hate to admit it, but it just did seem like we were sleepwalking a little bit, certainly on the offensive side and the defensive side actually going into the break, and so hopefully, you know, everyone gets up to play the Dodgers, everyone gets up to play the Yankees. We're on their home turf. Then we go to city Field, which we go and play another good team in the Phillies, and then we go to Flushing and play the metsa city field. So we got a good run of kind of what fans, what media wants. So my expectation is at the floor the quality of play is going to be heightened.
Speaker 2: You were such a great ambassador again for Major League Baseball, not just the Dodgers during the All Star break in Philadelphia. You've been through this a few times, now. What was it like this experience?
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: I think the game was probably forgettable in the sense that there wasn't a whole lot going on. I was happy with Robo him being able to go to innings. As far as a Dodger fan, the home run derby was fantastic, But for me, as always, it was my fifth go at this with me and my staff. The conversations with the players was fantastic. Spending time with Don Mattingley was great. Ali Marmol was great, And so that's always kind of the best takeaway.
Speaker 2: I know we always talk about oh being around other players and learning and picking from them, but are you starting to get the sense now that players from other teams are coming to you trying to find out what the magic of the Dodgers is?
Speaker 3: I am, I am.
Speaker 1: That is certainly the case where people are courting me and trying to get my ear. You know about certain things, and you know what makes a Dodter so special. And I think in this game people talk, you know, players talk, coaches talk, and obviously they see the success that we had. So it is fun for me as the opposing or the manager of the NL team to I do get that opportunity to kind of not vet players but get to know them, so when they do become free or you make trades and things like that, you have a little bit more insight and color. But it is interesting, Dave that people always want to know the what's under the hood or behind the curtain with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, One of my favorite moments that I saw was somehow, some way Dave Roberts got roped into a photo with all the Cuban players or all this Chapman Randia Rose Arena. How did you find yourself in that situation?
Speaker 3: That was hilarious.
Speaker 1: So they were taking pictures and then Junior coming. I wanted to take a picture with me, So I said okay, And then they were talking and I go, hey, said he is what they call Cubans said it, and so I said, hey, you guys come here, then let's go take a photo.
Speaker 3: And so they all got in there. We were all laughing. It was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw I saw the video of that. I was like, only Dave Roberts can bring these guys together.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is that we're all a small fraternity and we're playing a game we get to do, and it's bigger than us.
Speaker 3: The game.
Speaker 1: Like I tell my players all the time, Dave Man, the game doesn't need us. It's going to go on with or without us, and we just got to hopefully make our little contribution.
Speaker 2: Well, you've made a big contribution, and you are great for the game. You're a great ambassador for the game. And here's something that this is a fan question that really, you know, turned the light bulb for me. You're one of the few managers that still wears his full uniform. You don't go with a T shirt, you're not put the hoodie over. Where does that come from? And how much pride do you have to button up that jersey, which we don't really see from managers these days.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate that insight, that that fan noticing that it's intentional. I think that it's my ode to the game, you know, and old manager from Walt Alston to Tommy to the managers well beyond them, and I think it's something that I look forward to doing. Joe Tory did it, and so something for me is like I just feel like if I manage the Los Angeles Dodgers, a certain optics and how I carry myself should come with it. And so I take a lot of pride and wear my uniform every day.
Speaker 2: That's why you're the perfect guy for this job. Before I let you go, let's bring a full circle really quick. I have to ask you this. So we're in your office right now, do you remember the last moments that you were in this office after Game five. What do you remember the last couple of and the last time you walked out of here?
Speaker 1: I remember being drenched in champagne, having goggles on top of my head, my son Cole in this office, and Andrew Brandon Gomes just in here, just chopping it up, having a blast. I got my shower shoes on, kind of taking a big X YA going. I just cannot believe we just won the World Series. So when I walked down those steps today for batting practice, it's going to kind of be fresh in my mind. You know what transpired, you know, a couple years ago.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for sharing all those memories with us. Great job as always being an ambassador for Major League Baseball at the All Star Game, and we look forward to doing this again next week. We'll be back in New York.
Speaker 3: Look forward to it. Dave, thank you very much