Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a Mexican All right, here we go Scott's long back half of the week. It's all good, seven hundred wlw is. The rain just continues to hammer us right now. If your basement is not not wet, you're lucky. You're lucky. Six days now in the Iran War, more Americans disapprove than approve. The MAGA coalition is fracturing, somewhat, Democrats are fracturing somewhat. Congress is paralyzed. The White House still can't explain why we're fighting in the first place. And the poll numbers aren't good. So we'll do a little bit of a dive on that one this morning with Kevin Burton. Kevin with Crosstown Consulting here in Cincinnati. How are you, buddy, pretty good by yourself. I'm doing fine. I'm doing fine. Yeah, your basement's not the only thing underwater right now. So latest poll numbers here, and this is impacting the midterm elections and of course control of Congress, balance of power, all those things. Fox News pulling shows the most favorable split is only at fifty percent approval. Fifty percent approval rating, you'll take it, right, But even than that. Within the Fox News poll, there's only what only forty percent of independence are on board with the war in Iran. CNN shows a fifty nine percent disapproval rate, Augov dot Pole shows a forty eight percent disapproval rate, only like three at one and three approved in that poll. So overall, nearly six and tens are over six and ten Americans are against action in Iraq. And it's obviously a huge partisan divide as well. So that is the lay of the land right now. And we've got the Texas midterms going on, which generally I don't pay too much attention to because I live in Ohio, you live in Kentucky, Kevin. But overall, right now, this is not a it's not a good look for the White House. Polling shows this disapproval. So does that typically harden or soften as a military operation of folds because we're in the first few days of this and we don't know how much longer it's going to go. But do the numbers get worse from this point out?
Speaker 2: I mean, the only thing that we can look back on is both you know, Biden pulling out from Afghanistan and then George W. Bush, right, because both of those are in recent memories, and both of those hurt both presidents. Going forward, now, the one question is is this something that is a three to four week operation or is this something that's going to be a quagmire. You know, like if if troops go, I think there's something around like twelve to fifteen percent of Americans when actual sent troops. Uh, then I think you're going to be looking at a two thousand and eight style wipeout for the Republicans. If this is just a quick operation, maybe no harm, no foul yet.
Speaker 1: Like Obama, Obama didn't hurt him. Obama came me boo boom, Morain, we're out this. So it's if it's days, we're okay. If it's weeks, different start, if it's months, forget about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that's that's the perfect way to say it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: And Trump is non committal on this whole thing, of course. Yeah, that's and that's not good. Look, I think that's not good if you're Republican. Right now, the Fox News poll shows a more favorable flip than CNN, you gover the other ones. Now, well, how do you explain that gap? I mean, typically, well, it's because it's a right leading. You know, they're going to make Trump look good, but that's not always the case.
Speaker 2: No, And also it's their sample size. So some poles will do like five are roughly around five hundred. Other poles will do thirteen hundred, Other poles will do twenty seven hundred, which obviously if you do more people, the pole is going to be better. You know, poles are random, it's completely random, but like you will just randomly get a.
Speaker 4: Bad sub section of poles.
Speaker 2: So it's always important when you're looking at poles to take the aggregate aggregate of all of them because that's generally where it's going to lie most in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people will say, well, I mean Trump is you know, he never was able to fit in that bucket anyway, because trying to measure his supporters is really really tough. But was more of was that more of a one off or a couple times of post to again of water always comes back to level, right, is that the case?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, pretty much, Now we were pretty good at measuring Trump supporters.
Speaker 2: Well so Trump in twenty sixteen, they couldn't measure them in twenty twenty. Remember it was Democrats have to be up seven points nationally in the polls for that to correlate to a.
Speaker 5: General election will win.
Speaker 2: The Harris poll was basically fifty to fifty the whole time, give or take, so that one wasn't as shocking. So, yes, polling has gotten better, but there still is the undercurrent of rural America just pulling just hasn't quite figured that out yet. Yes, they've gotten better. It's it's way better than twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen. But at the end of the day, independents are going to dictate who wins the House the Senate later this.
Speaker 1: Year, gotcha, all right? So we know that elections are won in the middle Independent disapproval rating anywhere between fifty five and near seventy percent, depending on the poll, And that is the one that you've got to be looking at and be really nervous about right now if you're a Republican in those numbers. But do you see opportunity there as a Democrat and can they capitalize not that's a big question.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean Democrats have kind of just been lost in the wilderness for the last honestly decade trying to figure out a strategy they just can't figure out Trump. But the one thing that can think of presidency faster than anything is an unpopular war decision, you KNOWLBJ add to that with Biden. So if you're Democrats, But to your point, roughly about twenty percent of Democrats actually support this, So it's actually very fascinating why twenty three percent of Republicans disapprove of this.
Speaker 4: So it's it's still.
Speaker 2: Very very early. I think there's a lot of people. If you are a millennial, you grew up with the Iraq and Afghanistan war, so you understand that. I think if you're under thirty five, you don't probably really understand, you know, watching the news every day, seeing you know, soldiers and things that. So I think it's all is this Obama Libya where you know, bomb bombomb quick over no troops or is this the Iraq war?
Speaker 1: George Bush, I think it's got to be fat right.
Speaker 5: Is that okay? We we thought there.
Speaker 1: I mean we've been talking about Iran getting nukes and weaponizing since the nineties. I mean, is it clear and present danger? I don't know if I buy that, but I'm fine with them taking out Comani because of what not only one of the people, but because of the whole regime, and maybe you don't go and take the country over and try and rebuild it in your own likeness, because that doesn't work. We're horrible at regime change. We're just terrible at it. But going and cutting the head and decapitating it and then taking out these strategic sites, making them start all over again, and instead of maybe having nuclear power in ten years, it's you've set them back a couple more decades at least. I think most Americans are fine with that. It's just a protracted war. We don't want if he winds up getting in getting out, do we see those approval rating skyrocket then?
Speaker 2: And that's the great unknown, you know, if this is a quick successful operation, yeah, it's very possible. But I think at this point with Trump, Tizer, Doug dug In, you know, it's all about the independence. And so that's about ten to fifteen percent of the voting Democrats aren't going to move, Republicans aren't going to move on this a lot so.
Speaker 5: And it depends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the MAGA coalition was built on anti interventionism and other things too that Trump has like turned his back on, and he looks like he's turning his back here and you have defections from you know, people like Megan Kelly and Tucker Calls and others that broke Trump.
Speaker 5: How significant is that at this point?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, those are some key stakeholders that are against it because you know, he did promise no more wars and we are in a different war. It seems like every other week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think Americans, especially like what we were just talking about. If millennials or gen X, you've grown up with war your whole entire life, you understand the magnitude of it that it's not something that you take lightly, both with the loss of life and financial I don't think, what is it about ninety percent of Americans don't want to send troops. So you know, we got to see what the president and his team does. It's still very early. We're six days in. You know, Yes, it was a very successful thing to get rid of the ISA toola. What does that translate to? And how many lives of you know, American servicemen.
Speaker 5: Does that dictate it?
Speaker 1: It's still very very early, right, we had Congress of course, striking out the warparwers our solution, Greg Landsman voted no on that, and I'd imagine he's facing now more primary threats from the left. And you look at that district, but also overall, progressive groups are threatening to prim at Democrats like Landsman who voted against war powers. So how effective has that strategy historically been a changing incumbent voting behavior.
Speaker 2: Well, so there was actually a very contested grace in North Carolina really about this and about a PAC and the incumbent barely held on.
Speaker 5: But you're really seeing.
Speaker 2: Democrats who have gotten donations from a PAC. They are getting primary and they're being very contentious. You know, I think democrats finally know that for primaries.
Speaker 5: It's a negative thing. Yeah, if you.
Speaker 2: Support Trump in any way, and I'm not saying that's good, bad, or indifferent, but if you support Trump in a primary, it's costly.
Speaker 6: Mm.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll see. Obviously it's a threat to from Republicans as well. You know, the Texas primaries just happened, and that should a massive Democratic turnout in a Surgeon and Latino heavy counties there, and that's a demographic Trump made pretty significant inroads with it in the last election cycle. Is that a is that an inroad for Democrats there. I mean, if you can, if you can flip to parts of or Texas blue, that that's that's absolutely massive. Is that durable or is that just a brief reaction what's happening in Iran.
Speaker 2: So Texas is the white whale for Democrats.
Speaker 5: That always has been.
Speaker 2: I think most people would agree, regardless of what you think. James tel Rico is a very talented or it's ortator. You know, he's smooth, he's organic, and authenticity is I think the biggest thing that comes through with him, and just generally I think with the American people, authenticity is the number one thing that voters are looking for, regardless of what you know. So people are tired of, you know, growing up in the early two thousands nineties, it was almost like a sitcom politician, you know, like no, people just want someone who's authentic. So for Texas and the Latina thing is it's a combination of ice, it's a combination of rising prices and then also James Telerga talks about faith, which the Latin community is usually more religious. So for the Democrats to take back House, it's gonna or the Senate, it's gonna be really really impossible. They basically have to run the table. It's gonna be about a forty five to forty nine breakdown. And then there's six Senate races to watch, so Ohio, Texas, Michigan.
Speaker 5: North Carolina foret to the other two.
Speaker 2: But really those four they would have they would have to win all four of these, and that's that's a tall order because also fundraising for Democrats are lagging drastically behind Republicans.
Speaker 5: And the interesting thing.
Speaker 2: Is Texas down is actually probably a better bet than even Ohio with how the poll numbers are looking.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, if Kevin Burton is here, he's with Crosstown Consulting in northern Kentucky. He's an upholster and political analyst talking about the poll numbers coming out of and you know, at odds with we're talking about the Texas and of course he wore in Iran right now and the most favorable pullings from Fox it shows fifty percent approval rating on this, but all the other ones he's Trump is underwater on mainly with the you know, certainly a lot of progressive all the progressives are you know, they're going to vote, you know, how conservatives are but really underwater with the middle and that's what wins and loses elections right there. And part of this problem, though is the messaging on Iran Kevin it's it's it's just incoherent. You know, there's no clear endgame, the rationale shift, we have contradictory timelines. It is an unmitigated mess. As far as the reason why we're doing this now, Trump is saying one thing, He's got Rubio saying another. No one knows up from down in this How much is that really driving these numbers?
Speaker 5: Well a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, George W. Bush spent a year laying out his case right for the Iraq war, and when we went to Iraq there was a pretty big approval. Then you look at Biden who just kind of pulled the rug out and there was no plan and he never recovered from that. So the American people understand that if there is going to be a war, there needs to be a there needs to be a game plan. You can't be winged. And that's the number one thing.
Speaker 7: You know, their.
Speaker 2: Messaging has been all over the point so far. You know, take a deep breath, collect your thoughts, orchestrate the narrative. And then tell the American people, then it'll probably have their poll numbers.
Speaker 1: If this goes closer to November then March and it's still ongoing, what does that tell you about the effect on the House and Senate races and what might happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't have to be a political consultant to know if we're if we're in a war and it's a non popular war, it's going to be good.
Speaker 6: For the Democrats.
Speaker 4: It just is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's a quick rip the mandate off, you can recover from that.
Speaker 5: But if if this is a long war.
Speaker 2: With troops and spending billions of dollars, you know, with all the problems that Democrats have in their leadership, even they probably can't screw that up.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I wanted to leave our discussion Kevin Burton, because you're a friend. I wanted to leave you with a with an empty net goal or a layup if it were to a nice easy one to end the conversation. Kevin Burton at Crosstown Consulting in Northern Kentucky. Thanks again, brother be will thank you for always all right, take care.
Speaker 5: News on the way. At about five, the weather.
Speaker 1: Continues, we got rain, rain and more rain, when will if we will and maybe will we get a break?
Speaker 5: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Full forecast seconds away, And we'll continue to follow. What's happening in Iran right now and Texas is a really interesting indicator of how things may go in right now now again in a few days versus a few months. I think that is survival and probably what we should be doing at this point. If this thing drags out and God forbid we start going a well, we need to. We need some expeditionary forces there, so they would call them. You wonder how many people who voted for Trump who continues the boredom but just simply turned their back on them. I know quite a few people fall into that category. A brief strike is fine, but dragging this thing out, you're just absolutely bearing yourself. Scott Sloan Show, seven hundred W. Wellda Sloany on the back half of the week with you here, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: It is going to be wet for the next it feels like maybe thirty years. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this rainal evergo. So you're looking for something to do this weekend, it's gonna be inside. I've got something for you Tomorrow and Saturday, two shows, well four shows, but Friday and Saturday. It's Paul mercurio, comedian. He's about to get fired from his gig get with Colbert. He's a host, It's Tonight show, HBO specials. He's on, he's everywhere all that. He's like like Kevin Hart to a degree. Here he's gonna be at Gobin, as I said on the six and seven. So next weekend, Paul mccurio ready to get on his flight for Cincy.
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 7: My guy?
Speaker 1: You good, good buddy? How are you doing good? I'm doing good. So yeah, I can see why you're playing Cincinnati. You're gonna be out of a job soon.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: I need you need the Why are you playing Cincinnati on a Saturday? I need the money?
Speaker 8: Can I just tell you something?
Speaker 3: And everybody listening? Yeah, this interaction right now, everybody is why Scott doesn't have any friends. Okay, this is how a friend supports a friend.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be instance that I'm doing two things.
Speaker 3: I will be cutting lawns as well to make the extra money good, just to cover myself.
Speaker 1: You tell your car walk your dog. Hey, you know what twenty bucks is? Twenty bucks? It's worked for Kevin Hard, hasn't it.
Speaker 8: Yes, he's a poor guy.
Speaker 6: He's just he's barely got two nickels to rub.
Speaker 1: Yeh, poor poor guy. Like, who's the most over export exposed comic in the world?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 5: Is it Kevin Hart?
Speaker 9: Right now?
Speaker 5: You think is anyone else?
Speaker 7: More?
Speaker 8: Might be, but it might be. But I think you know he's.
Speaker 6: A good guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you commercial the good Yeah, but you know he could throw a huge he could throw a few shekels my way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, he's funny as hell too. I mean, you know the spots he does with Lebron. Lebron is very underrated, by the way, she should be doing stand up.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, listen, I got enough competition.
Speaker 6: Buddy, back off. Okay, I said she made it. It's difficult. My mother.
Speaker 8: I got my mother to deal with.
Speaker 6: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: How is your mom? By the way, she's.
Speaker 3: You know, she just turned ninety five, right, and we had to uh yeah, she will not go down. We try everything, Uh, you know, sour milk, your trip her. She bounces back off like a little Italian weebel. No, you know, she's like, you have everybody out there as a parent. That's like she's just a handful. She started a business in nineteen sixty nine as a woman when people were telling her she should stay home and cook and clean, very progressive. She we just made her retire and closed her business after sixty three years, and she's mad, like she doesn't want to be retired.
Speaker 6: She goes, what am I going to do?
Speaker 3: I go on, man, you got some money, you could travel. You could go to the senior center.
Speaker 6: She goes, I'm not going to go there. Those people are old, like they're old. Well, you're ninety six. What are you gonna go skydiving with sailors with?
Speaker 3: You're old and you can't like no matter, no matter how comfortable these people get that from that generation. She grew up in a depression. She would not spend money, got to try to great. She finds stuff in the garbage, Like on Sunday night, she'll be driving and she'll see something in the garbage. She'll take it and she gesn't a guy named Mario who fixes it. So she found her hearing aid in the garbage. You take her for a walk. Within three minutes, you have a pack of dogs following you.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 8: So it's like and she had this way of running her business.
Speaker 6: It was like from another planet.
Speaker 8: Right, So she you know, you have a business, you have.
Speaker 3: Filing cabinet, you have paperwork. But no, no, no, she don't want to spend money on filing cabinets. So she has coolers gyrophone coolers that she bought at Walmart. And then she writes on the outside with in the cooler and she puts her different paperwork and like ten different cools. When she gets audited, looks like she's going on a picnic. Okay, It's just it's.
Speaker 1: It's like I could just picture her office, Paul. It looks like in everyone's office is this way. When the like the FBI comes in to do a raid, it's always in disarray.
Speaker 5: Like if you watch those cops. You ever noticed, like watching all of.
Speaker 1: Those detective show where somebody gets murdered, I get down rabbit holes and no one has like everyone who gets murdered or murder has a clean house.
Speaker 5: It's always an a.
Speaker 6: God, how how do you know?
Speaker 3: Like literally, she'd have like catalogs backed up of different furniture, right, and she'd be like, oh, I think I know what she's like. And then all of a sudden, like in the middle of a stack, there's a ham sandwich from five eight years ago.
Speaker 6: Right, but man, you hit it on the head.
Speaker 3: So this was our house growing up, right, because the focus of our lives was this score.
Speaker 6: So like you think of town, we're Italian.
Speaker 3: Besides time you think Italian, you think you know the super neat house, the plastic on the furniture, you know that.
Speaker 1: Whole lot of gold, a lot of gold, a lot of gold, a.
Speaker 5: Lot, a lot of lot of gold.
Speaker 1: I'm Italian. I get a lot of gold, a lot of gold, a lot of garlic.
Speaker 8: Smells everything smells the garlic.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: So so our house was the opposite. It was literally like you just described, it was just like a Cso I see, like this was insane.
Speaker 1: And your mom still going, I think that's fantastic. Ninety six years old, salute.
Speaker 6: Oh come on stockeso, Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You go into a refrigerator you want to get like some half and half to your carver.
Speaker 6: What do I look to the right. The entire door is filled with batteries, batteries, and I'm like, mom, what are you doing.
Speaker 3: She goes, well, these new bet no, they're old batteries, and she's trying to recharge them by putting them in the refrigerator. She's like cryogenically freezing batteries until they come back to life, like some mad scientists like she.
Speaker 6: We had to take her license away. You want to know why why she hit a tree with her car? You know where the tree was?
Speaker 8: In her own front yard?
Speaker 6: Man, she hit a tree in her own front yard.
Speaker 5: Okay, the fact your mom's ninety six.
Speaker 1: For guys, I don't know how because my people are Italian too, and you look at the food that we eat, pizza, spaghetti, and a lot of cheese and oil and more cheese, and the lunch meat alone, right, more than Della, you got pursued it.
Speaker 5: You got all this fatty, high fat, color.
Speaker 1: Awful food that tells you you're gonna die if you eat this stuff.
Speaker 5: And yet she's ninety six, God bless her.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Italians, because you know you're you're bringing back childhood memories here for me, how Italians live longer?
Speaker 5: Like I can't believe we make it til sixteen.
Speaker 1: Nice, It's like all the preservatives and just I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: The cheeses and the fats, and then the bread, and here have some bread with your bread and the pasta, and then have pasta with your Like, how do you like? My mother got a health kicked for a little while, and she was like putting raisins and things like. She was like she like put them in an apple pot, and like we just eat it. You don't listen to me. Here's the thing about raisins. You don't put raisins in an oatmealk cookie. You don't put them in a muffin. You know where you put them. You put them in the toilet. Okay, they're raisin. Okay, think about it. What's a raisin? A raisin is just a grape that couldn't cut it as a grape. Okay, I mean right, I.
Speaker 6: Didn't like you as a pretty red grape. I'm gonna like you as a wrinkly brown raisin.
Speaker 8: Come on, they put.
Speaker 3: Them in that red box with that young girl on the outside. You look inside. It's an old asi home for fruit. That's all it is.
Speaker 5: That's all it is. Oh that's good. I'm gonna steal that. That's really that's You can't know it. Yeah, it's like yeah, right, it's and the other thing.
Speaker 3: The other thing my mother would do was like because we had no money, like we had money, but she pretended like we did. We were fine, like we were you know, middle class, we had a business. We weren't we're super rich, we refined. But she was always like nickel and diamond, right, so Christmas, she or Bertha, she would always like try to pass off something like cheap as something like high end.
Speaker 6: And so like one time she gave me she could go.
Speaker 3: By the way and like didn't even care about sizes, like she'd give you. She'd give you like a triple xcel. It's like dragging on the floor for a sweater because it was on sale at TJ.
Speaker 4: Mack.
Speaker 6: And so so she gives me, she goes, look I got you. I got you a Ralph Laudden PULLU sweater.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh wow, this is like the ruff and I look closer in the you know, the little emblem instead of like a jock on a horse with like the mallet. It was a knockoff, okay it was. It was an eight year old kid on a great thing with a broom. Okay, that's what the emblem.
Speaker 1: But it's about the mail you. It's it's oh, that's all that is.
Speaker 5: That's awesome, it is.
Speaker 6: Don't tell me always like the thought that comes. No, I want good gifts.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's right, you got You're you're gonna be what Yeah, And.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna and I'm yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna like so why I'm my sister in law. Whenever my birthday's coming, I know what I'm getting from her because she's so she she gives me every birthday and every Christmas, and she gives me she gives me a two dollars lottery ticket, a two dollars lottery ticket. Okay, nothing, Scott says, I care about you less than a one in four hundred million chance of getting a gift.
Speaker 6: And then and then she I'm not making this up. She put it in a greeting card. And the greeting card was eight dollars.
Speaker 4: The card was.
Speaker 3: Four times the price of the gift.
Speaker 4: And people are fired.
Speaker 1: I know people in my family they get the scratch offs, and it's I don't get the scratch off thing to me.
Speaker 5: I don't get It's just they're just messy, losing tickets.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, all you're doing is like, here's something you probably won't get a gift out of it.
Speaker 6: And if you do, I'm gonna sue you for half of it. Like that's the gift. You're giving me a lawsuit. You're giving me a frigging lawsuit.
Speaker 5: Facts, absolute facts. That is fantastic.
Speaker 1: All right, you're in New York. You're doing Colbert. That's that's wrapping up. You screwed that up? Yeah, what's expect You got any specials come up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We're doing well.
Speaker 3: I've got this Broadway off Broadway show that I've been doing, directed by Frank Oz called Permission to Speak, that we're taking out on tour. We were doing it in the city and uh so that's the and and then also going to bring it to uh to a platform, uh probably Apple TV. It's looking like but we or Netflix and it's been great, you know, and the city has been They got this thing now with the city though, it's.
Speaker 6: Just like bikes. Bloomberg was our mayor and he put bike lanes in everywhere. I don't know if you've got that in Cincinnati now.
Speaker 8: A lot of yeah, okay, well, you know what here's the thing.
Speaker 3: About people on a bike. Okay, you know what, I don't like you. I don't like you, and I'm never gonna like you. And here's why. Because bikers are obnoxious. They want it both ways. They want to violate every traffic log. Go the wrong direction, go through on this, you go through an intersection, okay, but god forbid, if you're walking or you're driving and you like make one little mistake, they scream at you.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't like you.
Speaker 3: Want to buy And guys who ride bike, here's a little tip for you. Stop wearing those sausage casing shorts that are so tight okay that the fattest spilling over.
Speaker 6: You're not lay its armstrong. Just wear loose shorts. Wear loose shorts.
Speaker 3: You're a middle Asian surance salesman who lives in the suburbs.
Speaker 6: That's what you are. You're not going to be anythymore.
Speaker 1: We have the problem with people no one hundred percent about like when they want to be a bicycle, it's then it's bicycle rules. But then sometimes like I'm gonna be a car and go through that, you know, turn right on red or whatever and cut out in the middle. Driving down the L one hundred percent is like either your a bike or your car.
Speaker 5: Pick one. Yes, right, stay little, stay and stay in you no abuddy.
Speaker 1: Paul mccurio, nationally common actional turn comic, also a Colbert Shows. We've been joking about it's gonna be a Go Banana. So it's gonna be a wet weekend. It's wet in New York.
Speaker 5: It's wet.
Speaker 1: It's wet everywhere right now, looking to do something inside tomorrow and Saturday at Go Banana's.
Speaker 7: Uh, go.
Speaker 5: Banana? What the hell's the website? You're getting the right webtion?
Speaker 8: Okay, this is how you host the show.
Speaker 5: Really, you know, No, there's no one listening.
Speaker 1: I think I don't even know if I'm it's really weird. I mean you Here's the thing about stand up right and having some experience doing it, is you get instant feedback. Right, you say something that's funny or like make people gasp, and you get this ray. I sit in a room Paul by myself for three hours and I talk. I have no idea if they even pay the electric bill, like if this is going out on the stream or on.
Speaker 5: The top whatever it is. I mean, I do this. I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I get a phone call once in a while to to validate myself, but generally I just sit here in a boxer. It's the stupidest job for growing mad. I mean, a complete dumb ass for like thirty years. No, but you're great at it.
Speaker 3: Com On, you know, listen, I know we you know, we all feel bad for you.
Speaker 6: So that's what you So.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, you know you got your last gut ba, I'll get Marcia. Okay, he'll do anything, You'll do anything exactly anything, but.
Speaker 8: You know, you know, I mean, the comedy is fine.
Speaker 3: And then you know from from doing standing up and stuff like some stuff you write and it takes forever, and then stuff stuff, some stuff just comes to you and you get lucky. Like I was thinking, like the other day, I don't know, like I needed to use some basoline and I'm like, and then it hit me, like, how do people make vasoline make any money? I've had the same tub of vasoline for like thirty right, think of people listening right now, think about it, Like my basoline was handed down to me by my grandfather in a will. You've never heard this phrase uttered ever in the history of mankind.
Speaker 6: Honey, I'm going out to get more vasoline. You you could.
Speaker 3: Go through thirty thousand bags of garbage. You're not going to find one emptycause they.
Speaker 6: Are a vassiline.
Speaker 7: You're not.
Speaker 5: Doesn't spoil it.
Speaker 3: I greased my brakes with basoline. I still have eighty percent containing which packs.
Speaker 5: The question, how are they still in business? They don't sell anything new?
Speaker 6: Exactly right, it's.
Speaker 5: Still you can go.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's vaseline and has anyone ever shopped for vasolene?
Speaker 5: I don't think I ever have.
Speaker 3: Mine has a brown label on it to go crinkly and I'm falling off.
Speaker 5: It's like that amber glass.
Speaker 1: Like the apothecaries and have the drugs and they mister Goward mix it up in the back.
Speaker 6: It's like, what a great reference.
Speaker 1: All right, Paul, I got you gotta I know you gotta get going, buddy.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you. Man have fun macurial kills. He's funny.
Speaker 1: If you if you're looking for something to do Tomorrow and Saturday night, go Banata Scott Sloan Show seven hundred W Sloan Here, seven hundred W l W. The weekend is insight a wet one to that as a matter of fact, but hey, you got something to do.
Speaker 5: They go to Coco. See my buddy, Paul.
Speaker 1: Mccurial, thanks for our friends at Dorothy Lane Market. I've told you about made right here. When it comes to d l M, they have a new line of smoke right here meats. They have in house pit masters. They don't know, like farm this stuff out or have I don't know, some high school kids do it. They actually hire like real pizziolas to cook Napolitan Neapolitan style pizza. They have real pitmasters and seafood experts and everything out. So they smoked the food right there. They're doing pulled chicken, which they brought in was absolutely fantastic. There are chilled chicken smoked right here. Selections are in store at the original location, of course in Dayton and the new one at the Western RM Mason Montgomery in Mason. So the green beans are excellent, and we crushed the crusty mac and cheese and homestyle coleslaw as well. Also, they brought in a apple pie Gramati Biaus apple pie, which, by the way, I picked one of these things up. I almost blow out a bicep. It is the heaviest pie. I mean it's regular, what's a pie, nine inch pie, crust warm, and you pick it up like weighs forty pounds. It's insane and if you think that's saying, it tastes insanely good too. So Dorothy Lane Market, thanks again Dorothy Lane dot com if you haven't been there. It is a treat for your mouth. A good thing to do this weekend, perhaps too because it's inside, other than running from the car to the inside. But you got your cover.
Speaker 5: They're working.
Speaker 1: I actually making it somehow when you walk from your car, doesn't the rain doesn't hit you. I'm sure that'll be the next great thing that they do. They're perfect in every way. News on the wait about three here on seven hundred WLW when a return. We've kind of got a confluence of Our next hour is gonna be more helpful it. I got Sonjay Shafercromani coming in our er doc and he's at dine Well Dock and we're going to talk about the protein curse. Specifically, we have the burger wars that are out and just see this, we have the war on Burgers happening. Well, that war on Burger's war amongst burger. So it's McDonald's burger King, Wendy's launching new products, and Mickey D's doing a fifty six gram protein burger over a thousand calaries of that bad boy. And of course we're in the protein craze. Remember back in the day, it was sugar free. I think sugar to get sugar free, but I rely sugar free, and then we had the low carb and now it's more like, hey, we're gonna push a lot of protein. There's always a new health trend out there to sell you on how much do you need and what sources do you need? Is red meat really that bad for you? He's got the answers coming up at ten thirty five this morning after the break after news, though, we will keep it somewhat health related here, as OURFK has come out and declared she had against Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks for all the sugar in the coffees they sell you. Oddly enough, I'm fine with that, Like, if I know how many grams of sugar, how many calories are in a serving of what or does they're trying to sell me? I need to know that and it's pretty easy to find that information out. I'm like years ago, but now it's on the menu. It's pretty easy to find that information out. There's tremendous backlash today though, that's coming out speaking of drinks, sugary drinks, about Snap benefits. So if you're a SNAPS as a recipient, that would be food stamps. The new orders come out saying you're not allowed. You're not allowed to use your Snap benefits public assistance to buy soda. You can't buy pop anymore. And you know what, I'm really really okay with this. So you're going, well, how that? What world do you live in? You're against people using SNAP benefits to buy the stuff that kids can go and buy themselves with impunity at Starbucks, dug And it doesn't make any sense. I will make sense of it for you because I try to be consistent. My goal is consistently logical in life, and I'll explain how that works. Coming up next, Scott Sloan Show, Home of the Reds, just slapping the hell out of Cue. Cuba's got to tough days head. You get invaded by Florida Rednecks with cruise ships. You got, you got the embargo, the crippling. Now the Reds just beat the hell out of you yesterday. I think it's bad being irand it's really bad being Cuba. Hold the red seven WW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 1: I know I am the Sloane Salmon. It feels like swimming upstream. I just like I don't care if a Republican Democrat, I don't care. I want less government in my life used to be. That's the way Republicans were. Not anymore. Compleat's completely gone out the window, and I don't like it at all. So, first of all, welcome Scott's loan show. Seven hundred WALLWW. Big issue today, it's not even a big issue. Obviously, the born ramsay a huge issue. This is another one of those things that happens and people go, oh, okay, well it's fine, it's Trump, it's good. It's not so the government wants to control what is in your cup. Three stories broke this week in just the last twenty four hours, and taken separately, might seem they're unrelated, but I'll connect the dots and you'll get a clear picture of where we're headed. So ohhi was banning certain drinks, namely Pop for food Stamp recipients. RFK Junior is demanding Duncan and Starbucks proved that our ice coffees are not highly chloric, but rather safe to drink.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm safe.
Speaker 1: They've got to prove the product, the ingredients are safe, and the FDA's ingredients self certification system is being blown up. So it's not a coincidence. And I'll add into that maybe a fourth thing here too, that McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King are all upping the burger war game to levels we haven't seen probably since the nineteen eighties, and we're talking some massive calories in some of these burgers. We have a coordinated push to put the government in charge of what Americans eat and drink. And the question that you need to ask is simple, did will well we vote for them to give them that kind of authority? All right, So let's start in Ohio and this one is already loss. So starting in October October first, Ohio SNAP recipients are going to be prohibited from using their benefits to buy soda and sugary drinks. So the USDA signed off on it, and so it targets any beverage that lists sugar cornsrip or high fructose cornshirper is a primary or secondary green and you go, well, slow, that's everything. So poor people can't eat no, no, no, They will change the recipe because they want to sell stuff to those people on SNAP benefits. And so the companies will react to this because they want to make money. It'll fix itself, and multiple states are doing this. I don't have a problem with that. You go, well, wait a minute, you just told me you're against government getting involved in telling us regulating sugary drinks and cracking down a duncan. And eventually what's going to happen is it's going to be McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's because of these new burgers.
Speaker 5: Here's the difference.
Speaker 1: If you are working, you are paying the taxes to fund SNAP benefits food stamps. Okay, for a long time, we should have cracked down on what you can buy with said food stamps. It's kind of like Social Security in a sense in that social Security is not designed for you to live comfortably retired. So you can go on two vacations a year and have a golf CLB membership. Now that's not it's basically to keep you alive. It's bare bones. Anything you make above that is meant for those purposes. It's it's a bare minimum, same for snap and it's not prison enough calories to keep you alive per se. But I've for a long time event told you about the government by the same ones ago you shouldn't eat this, you shouldn't drink that. I should say, okay, But my tax money, our tax money, goes to feed people foods that will kill them, foods that will cause diabetes, foods that will cause them to spend more money on medicine, medical care that's already overwhelmed. That sucks for all of us, regardless figure on public assistance. And it just makes the crisis worse. So we complain about how bad the healthcare system is, it's overburdened and overstressed, and yet are the same tax money goes to give people provide people a diet that puts them in harm's way medicinally speaking, Does.
Speaker 5: That makes sense?
Speaker 1: It's it's it's the dumbest thing ever. It's like we complain about high froct torst cone shurep cours. We we it's a horrible tobal thing, and then all our tax money goes to farmers who produce the corn to keep the corn brais low so they can make more high for dose cards. Rup won't wait what Yeah, it's like the government puts a humidifier in a dehumidifier against each other and just turns it out and see who wins. That's what it feels like. So yeah, I think we should be doing it. I think it should be. Okay, unless you can buy whole foods, you can buy this, say you go, well, well, the problem is is the convenience stores that are located in these poor neighborhoods, they don't stalk that stuff. You're right, So do the people starve if they can't eat cheetos and drink pop? Now, what will happen is so someone will have be forced them to open a store in there because we complain about food deserts, and that would rectify the problem. The fact that the government is fueling this whole food desert thing is a huge issue. So what about Duncan the Duncan and soon to be here burger chains. Okay, so maybe you're in you're listening to go Okay, well that that kind of makes sense. Why should taxpayer money pay for Mountain do That's a fair instinct. The difference here, though, when it comes to Snap benefits and dunkin Donuts, which I don't think they take Snap I have no idea, is the fact that this is money that you earned. Now the see saying specifically kids and teenagers. But hold on a second, that's money you earn. But by giving your kids an allowance or saying hey, here's my credit card, you give them license to spend that money on will stuff like this. So that is a parental choice, like, for example, if you allow your kid to be on social media. Okay, we know the pitfalls and dangers of social media. We were on the ad saying you want to sue Facebook, here you go, here's our number calls if your kid has ever done anything bad to themselves because you want to blame it on social media. You, as a parent, I as a parent, give our kids a license to do that kind of stuff. And so this isn't an eat of food rally in Austin, Texas, Kennedy stood up and demanded Duncan and Starbucks produce safety data proving it safe for a teenage girl to drink an iced coffee with one hundred and fifteen grams of sugar in it. That's a la sanje schev CREMANI our yar guy, come up, it's just how much that is. And he said, quite honestly, I don't think Starbucks and Duncan are going to be able to do it. It's not a controversial statement.
Speaker 5: He's right.
Speaker 1: No one's arguing that a venta kermel Freppa, well, whatever the hell it is. I just usually drink coffee with some cream in it. It's a health food.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 1: But what he's doing is as an agent of the government, is something very different from consumer education. He's threatening private companies with regulatory action if they can't prove their product meets a certain safety standard. But by the way, until this moment didn't exist, and if it's to be regulated, this is in the purview of the FDA, which you can throw then find regulate sugar. You know, when we're worrying about marijuana and whether or not we should be legalized or I'll even go back even be considered a medicine before it was legalized for recreational use, the cry was, well, it's a gateway dr gets a gateway, and that's been disproven for a long time. But monument was not that it was a gateway drug. Okay, finds greatway, dog. Then what is the gateway to marijuana? Well, tobacco, that's bad too, now okay, so what was the gateway to tobacco?
Speaker 5: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Sugar and then caffeine, and then nicotine and then maybe marijuana, then heroin, then meth and then crack and oh my god, that's where it starts. Like the first how you feel as a kid was when you get a pixie stick and knock about thirty of those back, right, Like I remember those days. You're like, whooh, I'm all sugared up Halloween Easter. Whoo, it's a drug. And we're giving our kids drugs with a caffeine, whether it's a coke or whether it's a Starbucks. And I'm sorry, but this whole thing rf CA is doing. If this were a Democrat, if this or Gavin Newsom, conservatives would be going nuts about this, as we did when big city mayors went to war on the size of beverages. Remember that that was what twenty years ago. So they're going to regulate. You can't sell an extra large pop anymore. Okay, fine, I'll get a large one by two and actually wind up drinking more pop. I mean, that's not in the scope of what government should be doing. If sugar is, indeed a product needs to be regulated that you how to prove it safe, then that should be up to the government, because again, we are giving farmers a hell of a lot of our tax money for corn subsidy high FORCT dose corn syrup. I mean, well, this is sugar, then puts sugar in. They're putting high frictose corn syrup in there. So that starts with you, guys, because you're encouraging its use. And obviously, you know, the progressives in Massachusetts are losing our minds because that's the Homa Dunkin Donuts And basically they're now using the come and take it flag, that don't tread on me flag. And it's funny how we've gone from the Tea Party using that to MAGA Republicans using that, and now Democrat liberal Democrats are using that. That mean, it's hilarious don't and they're calling it donut tread on me, which is actually really funny. So so Maha, the offshoot of MAGA Make America Healthy Again. Is he's closing the it's the grass loophole. It's GRAS stands for generally Recognized as safe. It's been the FDA's ingredient approval pathway for a decade. Companies itself certified that their ingredients are safe. That's the deal. And yet over ten that's it's been expanded way beyond its original intent. Thousands of ingredients, ultra processed food, and that system has real problems. But and this is critical, closing a loophole, a regulatory loophole, is legitimate policy under that closure as a weapon to go after Duncans and Starbucks is just political theater.
Speaker 5: It's grandstanding.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between fixing a broken system and using a broken system as a as a hammer, as a sledgehammer against companies that sell you things you personally don't like. And I think Kennedy crossed his that line this week, and the story's buried because of what's going on Iran.
Speaker 5: He noticed what he didn't say.
Speaker 1: He didn't say, this is a it's a label recording, here's a warrant, here's an age restriction. He said, you have to prove it safe. Or we're coming after you. So it's it's basically prohibition. So we've got a we're gonna have a sugary drink black market now, and I would guess that now this is sugar Watch what happens with McDonald's and Burger King and Wendy's as we have reignited the burger wars this week, they just launched the big arch McDonald's did, and it actually looks pretty damn good their entry into the extra large burger market. And so the CEO shows himself taking a bite. It look kind of fabricated to me, like Burger controlled him. That became a meme, and so we're off to the burger Wars once again. But the big picture argument is these three stories tell us something important about where the country's headed on food and personal freedom. We have a federal health secretary, an appointee targeting specific private companies by name of a political railing. Doesn't that undermine the whole argument that that the you know, the whole regulatory state needs to be upended, that we need DOSEE to come in and clean things out because government is just way too intrusive in our daily lives. And that seems like that seems like ten years ago. But now we're doing the exact opposite of dose who's doing We're we're creating more regular, more regulatory burdens on businesses. Look, no one's arguing that sugar and that amount of sugar is good for you. It's not good for you. My mom would say it's gonna write your teeth out. Probably is, as well as everything else. You'll be having the beat est by the time you hit your sixteenth birthday if you keep that up.
Speaker 5: And that's true.
Speaker 1: But we have enough information and we do this all the time where we make personal decisions that are bad for us, sometimes good, but often bad for us, and we weigh the potential outcomes. It's like why some people drive one hundred and thirty miles an hour in a motorcycle with no helmet, weaven or out of traffic. It is a personal risk issue. If I choose not to wear a seat belt, it is a personal risk issue. You know, you can run all the public service campaigns you want and telling me why you shouldn't do this, and mainly it's not, well, you're not hurting other people, Well you are, you're hurting your family. Well, maybe I hate my family. Maybe I'm an orphan. Maybe I'm trying to get away from them. Take a dirt net. I don't know why you're riding a motorcycle like that without a helmet, But in most cases you're only gonna hurt yourself.
Speaker 5: Or the seat belt.
Speaker 1: I mentioned seatbelts, right, it's same thing. It's like, well, haven't wear my seat belt like in those public service campaign It's like it just hurting me. Yeah, I might get an accident. Does it matter if I'm wearing a seat belt or not. It doesn't hurt me if I'm either the the person who caused the accident, I'm the victim of the accident. Whether you're a seat belt is now. Unless you fly through your windshield and land in my lap. That's the only time it's a problem, which is probably pretty rare, you know what I'm saying. And nobody in Washington wants answer. Where does this end? Because you vote in your party that you support, you're like, wait a minute, this is the stuff we voted against the first time around, and now we're leaning into it, well because he's our guy. Like, I don't get it, and I think you know RFK Jerry's out in this guy. I like the idea that we're finally talking about health in this country. But it wasn't that long ago when remember when Michelle Obama proposed I don't know, you know, more carrots are you know, we had carrit and when my kids are going to Mason, they have like a carrot vending machine that lasted about two weeks because people, well carrots sucked by themselves and they said, dip it in a ranch, which is the only time ranch is acceptable, by the way, unless it's on a wedge saddle with bacon, certainly not with wings. Well, if we started this or what world are we in? Its blue cheese goes with wings. Nonetheless, that's it. And it was like, oh my god, here we go. We're going to regulate the food, and don't we just look at it and go, okay, fine, that's good, We're fine. Nothing to see here, nothing to see here. Okay, if you are on public assistance and food stamps, we should have a say in what you eat because if you eat and drink nothing but stuff, that's bad for you. And we've seen this because of the real issue of food deserts that you know, package safe or shelf safe safe foods are generally have a lot of chemicals as bad for you, and the health consequences are terrible, especially for those marginalized communities. And yeah, okay, more freshoots and vegetables would be awesome, but you don't you know all these years we've allowed people to buy those things. And so that's what conveniences are.
Speaker 5: A stock. If you say, hey, here you go, whole.
Speaker 1: Food like those stories are going to be forced to carry things, maybe perishables. You might see more grocery stores than the hood, and that would be good for everybody. We shouldn't be paying for that. And then the healthcare. You're telling me my kids shouldn't drink this. And yet the same government, at least until October, is fine with people who are on public assistance using the food coupons to do just that. I mean, these guys can't get out of their own way right at five, one, three, seven, nine, seven thousand, over to John on the Scott sloand show, Hey, John.
Speaker 7: Tony, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm good?
Speaker 7: Hey, I agree with you about you know, if you're on public assistance or you know, you can't be buying this garbage. You know, when you're on public assistance. But you know this, this ebbs and flows right, regulation.
Speaker 8: On tobacco, right, Yeah, tobacco.
Speaker 7: Is a legal product. We have regulated that within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: I don't want to smoke it. I don't want any of my kids or families smoke it. But somebody chooses that's their business.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: So this this ebbs and flows back and forth between political parties. I know MAHA right now and RFK. He's probably got some good ideas. He's a little quirky on some other things. But you know, again, this comes down to one thing and one thing only, being a good parent, right, raising your kids to make good decisions. But if you are on public assistance many times, not always, many times, you've probably made some bad decisions. But look, I agree with this. The sugar thing is out of control. I didn't used to believe it, but.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the sugar thing is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's in every every product that's all over the planet. I'm glad he's pointing out at least, but I don't want the government to citing that for me. I want the information to decide for myself.
Speaker 5: That's fair.
Speaker 7: Well, and and again there's that's fine, that's fine. But you know what's let's take you and I decide there's a heat all kinds of food with courts here, we become diabetic, we become eighty pounds overweight, right, and now we're burning on the healthcare system. Well, you know, now a lot of tax dollars got to go towards me because I'm stabled and i'm and now I'm using a lot of government healthcare dollars. Really where does it end? Right? Where does it end? Because if you're going to pay for your health care on your that's your business. If if we're paying taxpayer bilers to.
Speaker 1: One, that's why I draw the line, because yeah, we're okay, well snap, oh we get to snap. Okay, great, but we're allowing people to kill themselves because that's all I have and pop and fast food and then cut the supply off and we're doing that. That's a good thing. I think that's a great thing. But now we're telling okay, if I if I have money, what I can what I should be spending my own money on, or somehow sugar now is dangerous. Yeah, but your policies created the fact that we use hypertrossed corn syrup as opposed to real sugar.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying real sugar is that much better, but.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying is like, you guys are creating this whole corn syrup thing and now you're the Ways in a war on that, but you're continuing the farm subsidies.
Speaker 5: I don't get it, but I do get.
Speaker 1: It because it's about control, it's about hypocrisy, it's about hoping you don't go, hey, you know this is my team, but aren't you guys doing the same thing.
Speaker 5: We beat the hell out of the other guys for it for a long time.
Speaker 1: We'll continue to convo with Sanjay Shape Kromani e er doc and our resident health food fitness guy about protein and I'm gonna ask him about the sugar thing too. Coming up next here, Sloany, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: Show, seven hundred WLW. It's on Thursday morning, and it's not Ways. Have our buddy in son Jay Shaper Jimani.
Speaker 1: He is an emergency medicine position and you can find at dinad well Doc. It's health, it's food, is fitness, It all comes together. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: How are you? I'm good, Sloan. I may see I made it through the rain.
Speaker 1: Somehow I made it through the driving rain before I wait with the time. But we're gonna talk a little bit about protein today. And it's funny because I bring this up because burger wars are But I don't know if you know this, but did you see the burger wars that are happening right now? McDonald's launches what's called the Big Arch. It's fourteen patties with thirty slices of cheese in fifteen It's like over a thousand calories, fifty six grams of protein. Go, this is a protein las Burger, so Burger Things responding, Wendy's responding, we have It's like the eighties all over again. We got the burger wars going on. Question as you hear that, you go, fifty six grams of protein, how much protein do you need? I want to I hit that in a second. But speaking of food briefly here because I like pulling news stories up and throwing a match. Here, OURFK. Junior is targeting sugary drinks. He's calling out Duncan, He's calling out Starbucks, saying they prove the safety of high sugar products like an iced coffee with one hundred and fifteen grams of sugar. How that's not dangerous for particularly young consumers. Thoughts on that, I mean, I politics aside. I think he's getting some points here. You know, I love coffee, but I don't want to have one hundred and fifteen grams of whole lot of sugar.
Speaker 10: And I looked it up after he said that. I was like, no, those drinks don't have and they do, and there's some with even more, and so I am interested. I mean, really, what he's saying is show me some research that it is helpful or at least not harmful. I'd be interested in that too, but you know, time will tell. But I can't imagine that's good for anybody. Well, I agree with it, it's not good for you.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I'm also a libertarian in sense it's like, yeah, okay, then he's not talking about the Burger Wars talking about I don't know if you know this, but kids like sugar, adults like sugar.
Speaker 5: We like sugar.
Speaker 10: If you want to talk about a gateway drug, sugar is a gateway. And I'm guilty as charge. I mean, I will, I will drink it. I will feel like crap afterwards. I will I mean I'll happily ingest it at the time and then pay the price later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred percent. But I did the government picking winners will lose this thing.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing we did years ago with you know, I guess progressive mayors where they would go after the size of drinks, you know, fountain drinks. We got to put ban or new tax. Sounds like people are going to just drink two of them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think I think the best thing that in my mind that could come out of this is just more awareness of what, you know, what the sugar content is and drinks. I mean, everything's labeled with his protein contents. Now we should include that sugar content. I mean, you know, facts being facts. One one gram of sugar is four calories, So one hundred and fifteen calorie drink.
Speaker 6: What is that?
Speaker 5: Four hundred and sixty quick math?
Speaker 10: Four hundred and sixty calories just from sugar alone in that alf to So that's about all that's.
Speaker 5: My cai sugar. It's insane.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And that's just the sugar, so you know, Yeah, the rest of the drink, you put some foam on it, some heavy whip and game over mine as well, add the sprinkles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't eat for another week. Oh, I got you can't, right, right, So you know it's good to have that awareness of for sure.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 1: So the burger war thing, it's interesting because they're pushing it as a protein. But if I'm if fifty six s grams of protein with the burger, but I'm also eating the bond, I'm probably also washing it down with some fries. I mean, if you think you're it's keto, it's.
Speaker 5: Not the opposite. Yeah, I mean, like you know, the question is what else?
Speaker 10: Yeah, they're they're going to make the protein number huge and all the rest of it's going to be I'm going to catch up on it, right Yeah. Yeah, you get the sugar in that, you got all the calories and the fats and everything, and they're not good fats that we're getting from from any of these places.
Speaker 5: Again, I'd love me a good burger. Probably a good as burger.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely probably, although well we won't comment on the CEO's video because he didn't make it look that.
Speaker 5: But wes he weighs like ninety eight pounds, like people like you don't eat that.
Speaker 10: No, and he's not drinking thee hundred fifteen gram sugar you drink either, right, But you know it'll it'll be interesting how this plays out. Again, protein is all the rage. If you want to sell something, you just put protein on the front of it and people will buy it. But the question is the what else and what has gone into that? Protein gotcha?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: So it's about I guess, quality protein. So you hear fifty six grams like, oh, that's a lot of pre how much protein you need?
Speaker 10: So current recommendations are one point two to one point six grams for kilograms, So I can't do the quick math on that on anybody. But what I'm shooting for really is around one hundred and twenty to one hundred and fifty grams of protein a day, okay, which is you know, sizable. A single serving of chicken is about thirty grams of protein, so we're talking about, you know, the equivalent of five servings of chicken per day, which you know exactly, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: But we can get those protein sources.
Speaker 10: Fortunately, everything in the supermarket has protein now, so you can get it from a lot of different sources. But that's what I'm shooting for personally, but again, if you want to do the math on yourself, one point two to one point six grams per kilogram per day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go into i don't know, like a casino and they're pumping the oxygen, but the oxygen has protein in it now, so you're yeah, yeah, exactly what not jack casino?
Speaker 3: And you do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's the simple math and how much you need. But I was like, yeah, rule of thumb because you're not bringing a scale with you need. Basically, it's like if you eat a size of a deck of cards of protein, that's a that's a portion.
Speaker 5: Right, that's about a portion.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're talking about three and a half or so three to four ounces is a portion of meat in general. So you know, if you if you think about going out for a steak and you're getting a fourteen ounce you know strip, which is my favorite, you know, I'm doing three or four servings right there, which is great from the protein content, but the rest of the content also you know. Again, and we can talk about red meat as well.
Speaker 5: And yeah, because I like red meat. Red meat sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: Pros and cons are red meat because it's like an egg's got a bad rap and.
Speaker 5: I'm like, no, eggs are fine, it's actually good. They're good for you. So we're now back on the egg band.
Speaker 6: WI.
Speaker 5: Why are we on red meat? Red meat is a it depends who you ask.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 10: You know, we've gone kind of anti red meat now a lot of people are pro meat red meat, and the answer is always is somewhere in between. So in twenty fifteen, it was released that you know, red meats are carcinogens, so they can cause cancer. Now that that really goes for mainly processed red meat as opposed to just natural, unprocessed red meat. And that's kind of where the main definition occurs. But we're also where the confusion happens.
Speaker 1: All right, So we'll start with like, okay, so bacon, which we're gonna have bacon, sausage, hot dogs, that kind.
Speaker 10: Of stuff exactly. So those are those are processed. And the unfortunate part is everything gets lumped in together, so processed includes just basic cured meat. So the finest pershudo from Italy is still going to be considered a processed meat.
Speaker 5: Now, is that as bad as hot dogs? Well, the studies haven't come out.
Speaker 10: But I can guess you know you're doing okay if you're having some perscudo every now and then, but maybe not doing so okay.
Speaker 5: If you're having a hot dog with it, hot dog every day, it's a problem.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And and that comes down to both cardiovascular risk and the cancer risk, so both of those, how it affects your heart and brain and also you know, cognitive function. So even dementia has been recently linked in a study just two months ago to increased processed red meat intake.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what about unprocessed red meat? What about a steak? So about pork, it's still they're still developing it. And so really what it looks like is you can tolerate higher amounts of unprocessed red meat, so natural red meat, say ground beef or steak, and you can have a higher amount of that per day. So what the studies have shown is about fifty grams of processed red meat is enough to cause an increase in cancer of about eighteen percent. Now that's a relative increase. That's not like saying, well, my risk because I don't eat red meat is twenty percent, and if I ate processed red meat's thirty Is that a day? It every day day and so what that amounts to fifty grams is like two strips of bacon, So it's not a ton. If you're having bacon every morning, that could increase your risk about you know.
Speaker 5: Eighteen percent.
Speaker 10: What does that mean if you had a five percent risk of cancer colorectal cancer before it becomes six percent. So it's not huge, but it's definitely a link there. And so that's fifty grams. If you want to talk about unprocessed meat, that's one hundred grams per day of intake that will increase the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Speaker 1: All right, So bottom line it for me, son Jay, once a week on the process, yeah, or on whatever.
Speaker 10: You can actually have unprocessed red meat probably a couple times about the week, two or three times. Now you obviously want to have other protein sources, those protein sources that are better for you. Fish seems to be winning mainly because they'll make a three fatty acids that go along with the chicken. Chicken is also a great one because it's lean. The main problems, you know, we can divide it into the fat and then the cancer got it and so fat.
Speaker 5: You know, it depends on your cut of steak.
Speaker 10: If you're having just a filet mignon, that's actually pretty low and fat rib other end of the spectrum.
Speaker 5: But I love me a good.
Speaker 10: Ribby, right, I slid having one more than once a month, you know. Yeah, chicken, turkey, those are all nice middle ground there, right, yeah, and so those are those are good middle grounds. Again, ribbis are delicious brown, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You want to go.
Speaker 10: I mean, the lenus is like a ninety three seven, which really just tastes like stuff.
Speaker 5: That's that's literally what I feed my dog eighty twenty.
Speaker 10: You know you're gonna grill awful lot of that, so you know, at the end of the day it isn't bad. But again to two servings, two to three servings a week is probably okay on that. Just be careful with the process. Mean, and again it's it's bacon, it's uh sausage, it's hot dogs, stuff like gotcha all right?
Speaker 1: Also, I will say pork, like pork is really lean these days, right, like a center cut chop or tender loin.
Speaker 5: Is that closer to chicken or closer to a steak.
Speaker 10: So you know that that whole thing from twenty thirty years ago where they called it the other white meat. It's actually a red meat. And it's really how that's defined as the amount of maya globin, which is a certain thing in the meat that is carried in the meat, and so it is leaner though than pork, sorry, than beef in general.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, that's very medical. That's a certain thing in beef that's in the beef, very exactly. I'm an er doc, I'm not. I got to bring it down enough of a trade jack trade master. Always the smartest gedder Sanji Shava Karmani here's a our physician as you mentioned too, but also health food fitness talking about well, we have the new burger wars coming out now. McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King all fighting. Mickey D's rolls out this dud big arch which has twelve billion calories and at fifteen thousand slices of cheese, forty eight million slices of beef patties in there, and it's fifty six grams of protein a well over one thousand calories and things. Okay, well, should we visit the issue on red meat. We're learning we learn more about eggs and things like that. Yeah, it's it's you know, red meat and moderate She said two three times a week, lean red meat maybe once a week. If you're gonna do like a hot dog or bacon or processed foods like that, it's fine. I'm more of a bacon crumble kind of guy, So it's like a little bit of a time here and there in a salad or something like that.
Speaker 5: So I'm good.
Speaker 1: But who doesn't like some bacon? What plant based diets, of course, have been the rage for a long time. Is a science strong enough now to recommend we move away from animal protein and just do like the plant protein. I mean, you're you're probably a protein supplement guy with the you know, there's different ones. You've got rice protein, soy protein. It's there's a million different kinds. What what do you need there?
Speaker 10: I mean, if you're again looking at the data, a vegetarian diet does seem to have a lot more health benefits than a meat diet. But I also want to live, and so it's you know, how much do you want to take? You know, as far as how strict do I want to be with my diet? And also you know, if you just enjoy vegetables, great, and if you can get enough protein content. And that's great if you want to have some meat, though, as long as you're getting a balanced diet eating real food, which is again the current administration stands.
Speaker 5: Yes, that seems to be the most important part.
Speaker 10: So they do have a point with that, Like the less processed foods you have, the less additives in there like nitrates and nitrites and you know, your jerky and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: The better off you'll be. Okay, No, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And you know, if you're taking a protein supplement, powdered protein generally is going to be organic and also vegan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you don't and.
Speaker 10: Most of them, I mean you do want to check the back and make sure there's not too many additives in there. But there are a lot of clean kind of protein powders. I use one that has minimal ingredients in it, and I supplement my diet daily with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Good.
Speaker 1: There's also a growing bunch of research down protein and longevity. And does it seemed that like that is the trend that that's actual good science. Now we enough data, that's good science.
Speaker 10: I mean, we all want to have the protein intake, which ultimately amounts to muscle mass. The more muscle mass we have in our body. It does a few things we you know, we talked about last week grip strength being important. So the more the more muscle you have on you, the less falls you'll have, the more things you can do in life, So both the quantity and the quality of your life will increase. And then what we're finding is also the amount of muscle you have on you also helps with you know, sugar metabolism, and so the more muscle you have, if you have a sugar emeal, if you have one hundred and fifteen gram coffee drink, your body will be able to do more with that so it doesn't end up becoming fat, so you don't end up insulin resistance insulin resistant in developing diabetes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that makes sense also to you know, I know you are are big on other supplements to in addition to the protein, You're putting different types of I guess mixes in there.
Speaker 5: What else? What else do you recommend with a cretine preteine?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, there have been some links and I'm currently not doing creatine because I'm trying to cut a little bit coming into summer, and it does cause a little bit of weight gain, but through muscle gain as well. Yeah, but it seems to have some neuroprotective benefits too, so you know, decreasing the risk of dementia too, which is near and dear to my heart with a father with dementia. So that is an important one that seems to be coming out and playing out in the literature and so creating. I'm pro creating for the most part.
Speaker 1: Not during not right exactly. All right, So vanity, in your opinion is vanity is greater than health.
Speaker 10: Everything I do is to look good, Scott, And I'm having enough of a hard time with that right now.
Speaker 5: You know, be asking what grilla You're like, it's sixty minutes over here. Yeah, exactly, poor guy.
Speaker 1: Or I didn't sign up for this nonsense swim shut up, Tom Brady. But he's looking at you. Got one gray hair, It's over, That's how it works. Or to get married for God crying out love, for God's sakes, it's over.
Speaker 5: Give it up. Got to fit into my suit? Yeah, yeah, And I think that's.
Speaker 1: An important thing to the health and dementia portion of it is, especially as you get older. Right, I've been taking greteen for a little while now, so because of that, it just seems like it's a good supplement to have.
Speaker 10: It seems to be a good thing. Brain, body, they're all tied and together. And the more we find out, the more we realize that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what about glp ones the factor in this too. Now you know it reduces your appetite, but are you at risk of serious protein undertake?
Speaker 10: You are, And so the problem is in general the glp ones will make you obviously lose weight, but is to decrease you know, appetite. And so the less you're eating, the more you have to focus on what are you actually putting in your body? Are you are you eating real foods in the limited quantities that you're taking in And so it's it's almost most important for patients and people on GLP ones to focus and make sure they're getting that protein intake and one hundred You know, if you have to take one hundred and fifty grams of protein in a day, that is tough enough as it is, let alone all the other stuff you want to be eating. You know, vegetables will fill you up quickly, that's what makes them so good. But you know, really focusing on that protein and take because as we you know, as we learn, you lose as much protein or muscle as you do fat and in the same amount of proportions. But you really want to keep that muscle on board while you're losing your fat.
Speaker 1: No, that makes a that makes a lot of sense. So you know, bounced out. So you're learning something here too from Sonjay, and that is you know, red meat is not the worst thing. Or you once or twice a week for the unprocessed once once a week if it's a hot dog, bacon, things like that. Pork is certainly a red meat in this category, and you don't have to take unless you want to. The protein based supplements, although I know plenty of body build as you do too, it's like, well here's what's recommended for you.
Speaker 10: Wait and they take three times that. Oh yeah, you know, so there're gonna be problems with that too. I mean, you better be staying hydrated.
Speaker 5: Yeah you doing that?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: By the way, what happens if you if you creteine also you have to you have to hydrate. What happens your body if you don't drink enough water?
Speaker 10: You really want to metabolize it. So you want to push things through your body and water will help you do that. And if things start sledging down, you know, there can be problems with the kidneys, especially it's a lot of burden on the kidneys to process that much prot teamed through them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for years, you know, professional bodybuilds and others said, now we way more protein than your body needs and it seems to work, I guess, and.
Speaker 10: It works in that degree. But they're also probably you know, drinking a ton of water every day just to kind of move things along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, Sonjay, appreciate you so much. Sanjay Schaeffer caramani E our physician also our resident health food fitness guy. You can find him at Dine Well Dock and of course he's at Revived Strength in Oakley. All the best thanks to Scott's Flunshow with News in minutes. Here seven hundred w A to.
Speaker 5: You want to be an American Scott's Flung Show. This is seven hundred w ALW.
Speaker 1: We had nationally a twenty four percent drop in overdose destinationwide and that sounds like good news. But a drug four to ten times more potent than fentanyl, I said, four to time ten, four to ten times more potent in fedil has been found in Hamlin County. Should he be worried about this this morning? It's lack to Marco. She is a corner of Hamilton County and she's on the show.
Speaker 5: Now what's going on? How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm great? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fine. Just trying to get everything working this morning. I think that's all the waters like, screw my equipment up here.
Speaker 5: I know you had a pressure.
Speaker 11: I told you it took three cups of.
Speaker 6: Coffee this morning.
Speaker 5: Today's definitely an extra coffee and then a nap kind of thing. I know you've got.
Speaker 1: You just rolled a website out, a new website because of the transparency.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't think that guy's much covers as you should with the war and all this other news. But the fact that you want to be more transparent in the Corner's office.
Speaker 11: You know, that's always been I've said from the very beginning. This is an office that's supported by the tax payers and and the voters, and they they have a right to know the information. That's why I've always been as transparent as I possibly can, whether it's.
Speaker 8: Good news bad news.
Speaker 11: You know, things we did great or mistakes that we made. I think that, you know, the public has a right to know, and that's why I've always tried to present it that way and you know, not put any personal biases on it, and to the facts and stick to the science.
Speaker 6: You don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not crazy, like you don't have live cams on your slabs while you're working, right, you can't like live stream You're.
Speaker 11: Absolutely it's okay, so far you can go well, and you know what if people we you know, we've never before we moved into our new building, you know, we didn't. We really couldn't do tours in the old building because we couldn't separate the working spaces from public spaces. But one of the things that you know, we wanted to achieve. One of my goals in the new building was I want to be able to provide tours for the public so that they can see what we're doing here, so that they can understand, and so that kids can be inspired by the work that's being done. There's so much interest in forensics, sure, but you know, kids are going into physics class or chemistry going oh my god, this is so boring. But then you come out to the crime lab and you see how that's being used on a daily basis to solve crimes and to help people, And then it becomes something more tangible and something more interesting.
Speaker 1: I got to say, I passed by there not too long ago. That new building is absolutely spectacular.
Speaker 6: And blue ash well, come out for a tour.
Speaker 4: I need to.
Speaker 1: I need to come in. I need to, I need to check it out. So I was like, oh, yeah, I kind of wave bit you when you're driving by. Let's so, what kind of stuff would be available on the website like for people to that our interests?
Speaker 5: I guess, is it is it case information? Is it?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 5: What's the transparency at so?
Speaker 11: Case information we don't provide on individual cases on the website. If something is adjudicated and somebody wanted some information, that's public records. But when a case is being investigated, of course, we really can't share information until everything is done. What we have on the website is more information whether you're a student wanting to go into forensics and wanting links for places to go, you know, opportunities available other sites where they can get more information. We have the biggest part of what I presented yesterday, and which I thought was important for everybody to have is we're constantly asked about numbers statistics. You know, how many homicides, how many suicides, how many naturals, how many and so we keep all that and it's not like we keep it up to date every thirty days because cases take time to be certified, so there's always going to be a little bit of a like like for example, for our twenty twenty five statistics, we still have about nine cases that we're certifying because there's information that we're waiting for that's been sent off to other labs, or we found out some extra information we're looking into the backgrounds. So but we're talking nine cases out of over twelve hundred cases that we are top seeds. Okay, so it's just a very small percentage, you know. And we normally have them done by the first quarter, so we should have those cleared in the next week or so. But otherwise we've had statistics there from twenty thirteen on and I was just mentioning tomorrow is my fourteenth anniversary in the office.
Speaker 1: Wow, congratulations fourteen. What I believe that's for meldehyde, I think is the fourteenth anniversary is a gift, I believe, I'm not sure.
Speaker 11: I've got to look it up for the anniversary in the in the office. And you know, so we have we have track statistics. I started in twenty twelve and the first year I was there, our overdose number was two hundred and nine and last year twenty twenty five, it went down to one hundred ninety four. And but in between, you know, we had a peak of five hundred and sixty seven in twenty seventeen, and you know, we started seeing in twenty thirteen. We had two cases of fentanyl two two in twenty thirteen two so, and then since that time it's gone up, right, and then we started seeing more of it on the street. So all the statistics are available on the website. They go by year, they're broken down by manner of death by We also have additional statistics that aren't on there yet, but that will be shortly about the different types of drugs that we're seeing. And the pie charts showing you what we see most of and second and so forth, and then if you hover over the little pieces of the pie, it'll actually give you numbers, not just percentages.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what you're saying is in fourteen years of your anniversary tomorrow. These are the lowest o D rates you've seen.
Speaker 11: These are the lowest overdose rates we have seen since I've been in office.
Speaker 1: In a decade and a half, that almost decade of that is that's incredible. Attribute that to.
Speaker 11: Well, I think if you remember, everybody was scratching their heads in twenty sixteen and seventeen when carpentanel hit our streets and so many people were dying, and we had such a huge number of overdose sets, and we were thinking, how are we going to get our arms around this situation and try and help these people, and there was a full core press. I think on Ohio just led the way, but even more so, I think Hamilton County led the way on number one, recognizing the problem too, acknowledging the problem and making sure that it's no longer a stigma, and actually talking about it being a health condition like any other health conditions, and trying to get people helped so that they're not ashamed to go to a clinic or a center, gets clean needles, et cetera. And then we started looking into well, where can we get the dollars to set up treatment centers because we hardly had any treatment centers when this hit. And so you know when the hero and Coalition form ten years ago, and that was true the Hamilton County Chiefs, the Police Association, where we recognize that we have to do something, and we were all in on this. And when that started, we started making some inroads and started making some connections and started working with the FEDS in the US Attorney's Office as far as trying to enforce the laws and also get the drugs off the street and making the punishments more meaningful so that people were it would be it would be more onerous if you choose that road. And then on the other hand, we started looking into how do we get prevention information out there, how do we make sure people understand how dangerous this really is. This is not you know, the pot of thirty years ago, This is not the crack of the nineteen eighties and nineties, This is not you know, the cocaine and the mess that people had been using. This is this was just a very different class of drugs and the danger was much higher.
Speaker 6: So as that.
Speaker 11: Moved along, and as we got more support i think in the community, and as we got more treatment centers. I mean the jail has a treatment pod now even they held the county justice. I think that as people got their minds around the idea of this is in our community, this is something we have to deal with. This is something that people are seeing at the zoo or at the ballpark, and you know, this is this is something that we all need to address. And I think that as more resources were used to set these things up, it was you know, it's three pillars. It's prevention, it's enforcement, and its treatments. And I think as things moved along and they became you know, you might have put more on treatment and one time more on prevention, at other times more on enforcement. But as those things happened, I think that we started seeing people maybe use less.
Speaker 5: And okay, yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Doctor Lakshmi Schimarco is on the show this morning on seven hundred W She's a Hamling kunt of Corner and kind of a break of news here she's going to celebrate fourteen years in office. Lowest O D rates she has seen since she has been Hamlin County Corner, which is absolutely incredible. And there's different, of course, ways to examine why that is right now, and you know, sadly I don't. We're never going to win the war on drugs. It's not a winnable thing. It's just pivots and it shifts. How much do you attribute that to? Also, people are aware the fentanyl's out there, and I mean kids now will go to clubs and bring test trips with them to make sure what they're using as a party drug is not laced with fentanyl.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 11: So that's that's the kind of stuff that I'm talking about that was created in the last few years to help people and taking the stigma away, you know, from drug un to start treatment, and to raising awareness and the prevention aspect of it, especially at a kid level, the young young adult level. And the fact that it's totally normal to take a strip with you. You know that nobody's going to say, hey, what is that word thing you're hearing with you, but actually it's, hey, that's a smart thing to do. And all of those things I think contributed to this. Now you'll notice as Sentinel is being stopped at the border lately, which I'm very grateful for the fact that we're keeping it out of our community. Cocaine production has tripled, and we are seeing more cocaine. We have been the last two years, have been seeing more cocaine on the streets of fact. In the twenty twenty five overdose death certificate staffs it was thirty five percent due to opia. Actually not not the death stats, sorry, actual seizure stats opioids thirty four percent cocaine.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's cyclical, right, Cocaine will come back, Heroin will come back, some methyl cove and it just it's a rinse and repeat kind of cycle. And you're always kind of like playing Poppable with this in your office. There's a new one out And I mentioned at the beginning here all actually somarco uh that is a chlor uh. Cyclophine is what it's called. Yeah, detected in around here I think last August, according to Tom Signing and the great work that they do. How concerned should we be? I mean, are you starting to see that at your end as a corner?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: So cyclophine the name is actually en propia nitral chlorophine. It's a class of drugs that we started seeing last summer in very small amounts. We saw it in the drug section. So in other words, not that's college section where we're pulling it out of bodies, but actually on the streets when they're being.
Speaker 6: Seized, and.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 11: Estimated to be between four and ten times more potents and sentinel, but you know, considerably less potent than car funnel, which, by the way, we are still seeing. I mean, we had nine cases of that last year, but total since last summer through the end of February, we've had fifty two cases and that were in the fifty two actual cases that has been found in mixtures. And that's out of over eighty three hundred mixtures that we evaluated last year.
Speaker 1: Wow, eighty three hundred different types of formulations designed to will kill people.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so the drug section, you know, evaluated they had over eighty three hundred cases and this popped up in fifty two. So we're aware of it. We know that our neighbor states down in Tennessee in particular, have had they've attributed to multiple deaths to it. We have not certified any depth due to cyclophene in our office because we've never seen it in large amounts, even in mixtures, and we've never seen it isolated. So it's always in mixtures and there's usually a much larger amount of sentinel mixed in with that.
Speaker 5: Is this coming in from out of country.
Speaker 11: As far as I know, because it is a synthetic opioid, it could be made anywhere, but more than likely it is coming in from out of the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's the thing.
Speaker 11: About heroin we were talking about, you know, heroin's and organic compounds. You have to worry about the weather, you have to worry about the poppies, you know, the growth your crops. Well, sentyl and sentyl variants and cyclophenes, these are all synthetics. They can made in a laugh.
Speaker 1: Laxhay Schamarco is the hemliconic corner of the news at lowest levels of OD deaths. She's seen in her fourteen year career as the corner of Hamlin County, which is great news. Now we're seeing new drugs come in all the time, like cychlorophine, which is stronger than a fentanyl, not as bad as car fentyl, but still that's the thing is these people who create these products are looking for different ways around the well, not around the law, but to get under the radar. And there's different traps out there, of course. And now we're seeing a spike in the amount of cocaine, and so i'd assume at some point cocaine will be laced with cychlorophine or something else. If we're not seeing that already, We've we.
Speaker 11: Have seen in some of the mixtures fentanyl and cocaine and other things mixed together.
Speaker 6: We have seen that.
Speaker 1: You've been tracking the epidemic for a years, seeing the waves shift all over. Does this to you feel like because you've seen this pattern before, does it feel like the beginning of another wave or is it too early or don't you think so?
Speaker 11: Honestly, we've been we were just talking about that in our manner, just meaning we've seen over the last you know, seven, eight, ten years, we've seen different spikes of different things that we thought, oh now he's got another one we got to worry about, you know, and this happens all the time.
Speaker 6: Like you said, it's a bit like whack a mole.
Speaker 11: You know the fact that we haven't had any cases recently showing up in any of the drugs. You know, maybe it's just maybe it's the supply and demand thing. Maybe it's just something they experimented with and maybe it'll go away. We're sort of cautious and we just keep an eye on these things to see if they become an issue. So far, we're just keeping an eye. We haven't seen anything particularly alarming in the trends, so we'll just keep watch on it. And you know, we have people in our drug section that are really good about scouring the social media bikes and reddits, spikes and whatnot. And you know, when something news starts popping out up and even before it hits our lab, they're already aware of it.
Speaker 5: It's about time we had a good news story.
Speaker 1: I think this is like a good news story, right, the fact that overdose deaths are they like, I think the only one talking about this.
Speaker 5: You know, it's doom and gloom in the news. It's a great story, you know.
Speaker 11: And I've been saying that for quite a while. The news usually covers the doom and gloom, and everybody seems to be, you know, inordinately interested in murders and you know, bombings.
Speaker 5: And everything else.
Speaker 11: Like you hardly ever get any good news. And the good news about this is is it, you know, keep up the good work. I mean, that's the message for me, is that what you're doing is working. So take heart in the fact that you know we are saving lives. It is not a well, this is an endless thing. We're never going to get our hands on it. No, we are never going to get rid of drugs in our community, in the United States and in the world. I mean they're out there. People have choices to make. It's educating people to make smarter choices. That's what we're trying to do. And the fact that we're saving lives means that it's working.
Speaker 1: It is congratulations on that, but especially fourteen years is our corner doc, the one doc you never want to see. But I guess if you saw you you wouldn't even know it. So happy anniversary.
Speaker 5: It's the viewing's stay right.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be a You don't want to be a patient, is what I'm saying, because not a good outcome.
Speaker 5: All the best you congratulations, will talk to some and be well, okay, thanks so much. All right, take care.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 1: A lexpismarco our corner on the Scotsland Show celebrating some good news today seven hundred w.
Speaker 5: Weldom for sale.
Speaker 9: This question, is it really worth holding on to that time share that you know you need to get rid of. Here's the truth. The average maintenance fee just went up over seventeen percent. That could have been one hundred and seventeen percent, and there's nothing you can do about it. When you buy a times here, you give them a blank check for annual maintenance and assessment fees. Up McDowell, founder of Wesley Financial Group for fifteen years, I've helped over fifty thousand families cancel their tom share, not sell it, not transfer it, cancel it. Did you buy Tomshare because they told you it was a great investment and your maintenance fees would.
Speaker 4: Never go up? That's a law.
Speaker 9: Are you ready to get rid of your time share once and for all? Simply call us and I'll send you our Tomshare exit kit that explains all your options for cancelation.
Speaker 12: Call Wesley now for your time Share exit kit. Eight hundred eight five one five seventeen seventy one. That's eight hundred five one five seventeen seventy one. Eight hundred eight five one five seventeen seventy one. Jeff Wellernissan dot Com, Cheez, the Princess of Property, the Queen of closings. Fuck touch us out deals.
Speaker 9: It's a realistic Time with Michelle Sloan All hell, the bestest Remax time agent I've ever met.
Speaker 5: On seven hundred WLW Hello, wait for it, Wait for it? Wait for it? Do you hear that? Do you hear it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 4: Wayne?
Speaker 5: Listen? Listen what waiting for the some pump noise to kick back on?
Speaker 13: Oh my gosh, every thirteen seconds or less. Yeah, that's some pump is an oldver drive. And there's a lot of wet basements unfortunately this morning.
Speaker 1: No daughter just texted me her basement's a little wet, so good day for our friends at the basement.
Speaker 5: Doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, call Bobby Miles. Bobby's Bobby. His crews are working non stop right now. Guarantee you got a wet basement. That's the people you want to call.
Speaker 5: They won't.
Speaker 1: That's a good deal. They'll take care of you. They'll hook you up, fair price, great job, warranted, that's what you want.
Speaker 13: But understand, I'm going to say you have to be patient because there are so many people. I was just looking peruising my Facebook page and there's like all kinds of help help.
Speaker 12: Oh full of water.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it is an ugly few days and the plumbers are going to be working over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we warned you about making sure that some pump was working. It's too late now, yeah it is. It was too late. So yeah, we moved a new house over the summer. And uh, it's funny because you know the some pump well, and the pump itself is like right over the right under our bedroom. So every time it goes off, it like wakes you up in the middle of night, like I gotta I gotta get.
Speaker 5: Some sound insulation done there. I'll get around to it at some point.
Speaker 13: Although you know what, it's a little bit of a peace of mind because every time checks on and checks out, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But then you think like, oh my god, is it is it gonna ever gonna turn off? Is it gonna turn on? Is it flooding right now? I don't want to be reminded of it. I know, I know it's working, but I don't want to know it's working.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 4: I like to know that it's working.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. Before we get into your topic here, which is what.
Speaker 13: It's tax time and what what kind of tax items in your home and around your home?
Speaker 4: Can you possibly right off?
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get into that, I want to play this audio here if you have cause my I'll sit and watch like murder shows or war and my wife will sit on her phone and scroll Instagram and she's like, oh, you got to see this.
Speaker 5: This is audio of it.
Speaker 1: Because we always rip on hoas and just how insane this is. But this is great audio of a guy who got called before his Hoa's Homework Association about his light temperature.
Speaker 14: Listen, No, we're dressing while your house looks like a gas station at two am. You have five thousand kelvin, Carl, But cool light isn't neighborly and isn't who you want to be.
Speaker 4: We are a warm light community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Carl, Yeah, Carl, get you put it together. It looks like a gas station. We're a warm light, We're neighboring. We're a warm light community. You got that's a problem with HOA. Busy bodies and I know they have a role and it's important, and you want to make sure maintain neighborhood standards and keep your property valves.
Speaker 5: You know, you don't want to.
Speaker 1: A semi parked in your front driveway all day long. You know, if if that's you and you need a park, your semi then you know, you can't have an h O A. But man, and some of these people are like, now we've got the light temperature police out there.
Speaker 5: You know what light temperature is.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, fluorescent lights are at a certain they call temperature, and you may go, yeah, it's kind of bright in here. Well, warm light is the nice soft you know yellow light bulbs and the more bright ones are more like daylight.
Speaker 5: And that's what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: But they're actually measuring how how much And it's measured in kelvin by the way, k E l v I N they're measuring.
Speaker 5: They're out there measuring the neighbors light temperature. That's insane.
Speaker 13: It is insane. Are you able to play that again? Because it's just precious.
Speaker 5: It is so it is so good. It is just so good.
Speaker 4: All right, a gas station.
Speaker 9: At two am?
Speaker 14: You want five thousand kelvin, Carl, the cool light isn't neighborly and isn't who you want to be.
Speaker 4: We are a warm light community.
Speaker 1: It is a neighborly Curl. It's not who you want, Curl. It's five thousand. It's five thousand, Calvin Curl, he's old beats.
Speaker 8: Oh my god.
Speaker 13: When I heard that, I had to play it like four times because I'm like, and then I had to share it.
Speaker 1: With Howling, just absolutely howling at that. It's got to be Florida. That's that's got Florida all over it. Right, she was one serious though I know it sounded like a bit. It did sound like a bit. I think the whole h O a channel with the crazies that could probably be like a whole segment at some point because it's just funny. Nothing you can do about it. You signed the deed. Well, I don't think in the it's indeed restriction. You signed the contract, right, I don't.
Speaker 13: Think in the HOA rules it says what your Calvin has to be for your.
Speaker 1: It's Calvin is our nephew. Calvin is okay Calvin. Yeah, but it's something you don't need to know about. But I will say that wormlight is it's friendlier and in certainly if you have some. We had a neighbor that had put I don't know the CFC, remember those old curly que light bulbs in and it looked like CBG in their living room. But I'm like, I can shut my blinds. It doesn't bother me at all. But I don't know how you're living. It's given me a headache from this far away.
Speaker 7: But a.
Speaker 13: Lot of led lights there, they tend to be bright. I mean you you are complaining, old man about people driving with their headlights on and blinding you.
Speaker 4: You think that they have their brights on. But I think it's just a new.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a new ball. Some of them are right outrageous.
Speaker 1: But yeah, all right, let's talk about tax time here and deductions and everything else. If you're doing your own stuff.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 13: So while I'm not a tax advisor, many money god, thank goodness, right this time of year is you're swamped if you are.
Speaker 4: But there's so many.
Speaker 13: One in five, it's estimated one in five people in the Cincinnati area actually work from home or have a side business, a side hustle where they work from home, and they have the opportunity not for sure you got to talk to a tax person that's not me, But you may have the opportunity to write it off, Jerry, and have some write offs that will give you some tax benefits. And that's what we're talking about today. First and foremost, and the biggest one is the home office and the home office space has to be a space in your home that is dedicated to ninety percent of the time you do work in that space. So it can be an office, it can be a second bedroom, it can be a portion of your lower level. It can't just be the corner of your couch where you watch TV and get on your laptop. That doesn't count. And so homes with dedicated areas. Again, if you get a W two, you're probably not. You're probably not. It's not go to work for you. But just talk to your tax accountant. You have to also itemize, so if you do the easy thing, you're not going to be able to get these kinds of write offs. And it's interesting because if you do have a home based business and a lot of people they work from home, ei're fifty percent of the time, sixty percent of the time, or even more, you have an opportunity to write that off and not just the space. And with the space I think I have it, Yeah, five dollars per square foot of office space you could write off. And if you have a you know, a space of three hundred square feet or five hundred square feet, that's a write off. And then a portion of your utilities, Internet, homeowners insurance, and some repairs in that office may also be applicable.
Speaker 4: So you have to keep really good records.
Speaker 13: You can't just say you just can't, you know, give a number, just eyeball it, ballpark it, whatever. You have to have the data and the receipts to back it up. But if you have a good CPA, that can help you through that. The other item that a lot of people definitely have is your mortgage interest. They have not taken that away from us yet. There's been a lot of talk government talk about taking away the tax benefits of your mortgage interest. And your mortgage interest is that extra that you pay on top of your mortgage and usually you're paying cheese. You're paying mostly interest for the first five to seven years ten years of the mortgage itself. So it's a big write off and it's really good for younger homeowners, and that's something that you definitely want to use. Your property taxes can still be written off to a certain extent. And then this is the other one that I think is really important. And let's say you didn't do it last year, but you're thinking about doing some energy efficient upgrades in your home. You want to think about solar or a high efficiency heating and cooling system. Maybe you want to add new windows. It's time to add new windows, get the energy efficient ones. Talk to your accountant, talk to the people who are in installing them. Save your paperwork. That's really really important. And then insulation. Just adding insulation could be a potential for a tax benefit because it's going to cost you hundreds of dollars, maybe thousands of dollars, depending on what kind of insulation you add to your home.
Speaker 5: I thought on some of that went away. It didn't go in.
Speaker 4: There's always there.
Speaker 13: Are still some benefits. Yeah, that usually they and again the government it changes every single year, so you want to keep keep your eyes on that if you're doing some kind of upgrades, not only for your taxes, but for the valuation of your home. When I come into your home and try to get the value of your home, I'm looking at how old is your I'm looking at how old is your HVAC system. You know, again, those aren't sexy items necessarily, but they are very very important to new buyers. It's important for your insurance company, it's important for the value of your home. And when we always talk about, yeah, let's update our kitchens and bathrooms. Well that's important too, but some of these other energy efficient upgrades could also help you with your taxes and also increase the value of your home.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the roof thing, the older your roof is, the more cost you and homeowners insurance.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 13: That is true, and a lot of insurance companies are really cracking down and they want to know when you buy a new home, they want to know how old that roof is. And if let's say it's a twenty year old roof, your rates are going to be a lot higher. And you're only going to get now. It used to beckon, I'm going to date myself now. I think we had two thousand, two thousand and eight too that we had like a hurricane come through Cincinnati and it blew everybody's roof off, and so there were entire neighborhoods that were getting new roofs and it was mostly insurance claims.
Speaker 4: And with that, you know, that was a good thing.
Speaker 13: But a lot of a lot of insurance companies are saying, okay, well, if that roof was ten years old, I'm only going to give the value of a ten year old. I'm going to amortize it or what is the word I want?
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 4: It's not amortized.
Speaker 5: To appreciate.
Speaker 4: That's it. You're going to get the appreciation.
Speaker 5: I appreciate what. I'd appreciate you so much. Thanks for what you do.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You're welcome.
Speaker 5: Did you in a home office deductions?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did, Yeah, home on we're talking about you're not paying attention to I was trying to figure out what this leak is here in this room in the studio right now.
Speaker 13: So oh my gosh, yeah, home office deductions, it is out and one out of five it's that's really high.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that it was. That's high, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, that's a surprisingly high number that it was probably higher in Cobb's, much higher in COVID. But for those people doing the return to work to return to office thing rt O, I don't think every one hundred percent back to office if you can do work.
Speaker 5: My brother works remotely, for crying out.
Speaker 4: Loud, now goes into the office one day a week.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 4: So the rest of the week, whether he's on the road or he's.
Speaker 13: On working in his basement, whatever, he's office but yeah, nearly one in five workers have worked from home. Uh, if you're an entrepreneur, if you have a side gig, I mean, it doesn't have to be your full time job. That's the other thing that a lot of people don't understand. It can just be a side gig and you're spending hours in wherever, in a specific room. You can potentially write that off and have a tax benefit, and so that can help you with Uh. It's really it's fascinating what you can and can't do. And because the tax code is like monstrous, you really want to get somebody who knows what they're doing, because the one thing that nobody wants is, oh, well I use this office to work from home, but I'm a W two employee and I have an office at work. Then you probably can't write off your home office, got it. And that's the one thing you better. You don't want the I R. S. Got it to come after you for for any kind of no.
Speaker 1: No, no that that is that behavior is frowned upon in this room, this leaky, leaky room. I'm sorry, I'm distracted by the flood here. I thought it's a dripover. I'm just trying to figure it out right now, I got my You are on the sixth floor remodeling hat on now at this point, so it's probably it's probably not. That's probably just the bodies up on seven. I don't know, all right. So my wife Michelle Sloan's ownsals Holmes dot com openhouse show. That's via the iHeartRadio app and the podcast and of course on YouTube as well. At Remax time in Mainville. Good luck keeping that basement dry. I love you, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go. We got Willy on the way twelve oh six today and the Reds just keep rolling. Baby, just hammered the hell on the Cuban national team yesterday here on the Home of the Red seven hundred w dowt.
Speaker 6: Since that