Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back.
Speaker 3: To get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 1: Last thing.
Speaker 2: You are live at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium on the fourth of July after the Dodgers shut out the Padres tonight three to nothing. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vass with you until the top of the hour. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. If you are one of the fifty two thousand plus of this sellout crowd who stuck around for the fireworks, give us a call. Love to hear your experience. It's at Dodgers Stadium tonight. It's always seemingly an event, and tonight, like I said last night, one of the premiere places to be on the fourth of July. Right here at Dodgers Stadium for one of the best fireworks shows out there. And I think you got that tonight if he stuck around for the fireworks. After the Dodgers handed the Padres their eighth straight loss, Yamamoto phenomenal again. Seven scoreless innings, ten strikeouts, only two walks. Think about this, Yamamoto in his last eight starts has taken it to another level. Five times. During that eight start run He's pitched seven innings. Twice he's gotten into the eighth inning, and in six of those eight starts, Yamamoto has allowed one or less earned run. Just remarkable, and he was named to the All Star team tonight, as was Andy Pajz, Max Muncy, Freddie Free and of course Shoho Tani already locked in as the leading vote getter in all of Major League Baseball. Paz looking forward to being reunited with one of his brothers, Miguel Vargas, his baseball brother, because they played together in Cuba and they came up through the Dodger farm system together. Miguel Vargas is going to be an American League reserve. He has arguably had one of the best seasons of any third baseman this side of Max Munsey, who is very deserving to be the starter at the hot corner this year for the National League. He becomes the first Dodger third baseman to start in the All Star Game since the Penguin Ron Say back in nineteen seventy seven. So congratulations to Max Munsey, who put in a lot of work during the offseason and it certainly has paid off with seventeen home runs and being one of the best defensive third basemen in all of baseball. Six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddie Freeman named to the All Star Team for the tenth time in his career. It'll be the sixth time that he is a starter and the fifth time he'll be wearing a Dodger uniform. So I love Freddie Freeman getting the fan vote because he is deserving, and also he's one of those guys that really wants to be an All Star. And when you get players that really embrace it, they do the best job of being an ambassador and promoting the game, and Freddie has done a great job of that throughout his entire career. But one of those guys that really still values being selected as a starter to the All Star team, and very happy for Freddie, happy that his pops was sitting behind home played again with his step mom Alma, and Freddie hitting that home run, coming back and pointing to his dad is always a special site. And him getting an RBI single off of Mason Miller in the eighth inning was impressive as well. So Uncle Freddy showing everybody he's feeling young young again. He keeps on saying that his bat was a little sleepy earlier in the year. I haven't seen that in a while. Let's head downstairs to hear from Freddy Freeman on sports net LA tenth.
Speaker 4: All start selection.
Speaker 1: What does that mean to you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean every also game is special. So I just want to say I got I said a cures in the field. Thank you to the fans for voting. Everyone is special. So looking forward to next.
Speaker 4: Week when you look at just kind of like the ups and downs at the start of the season, to kind of have the consistent success over the last couple months now, like what's gone into that and what is it just kind of been like kind of writing this this wave here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish I could give you I've been doing the same thing all season. Just right now, it's been going well. There is no magical switch that I flipped, and you know, just kind of just things started to go north in the in all the categories. So keep it going. I feel good. So maybe that's just a key factor. Maybe I'm just healthy.
Speaker 2: The home room was a big one to give you that extra run, cause you when I've told.
Speaker 1: Me about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just got a two sweeper in the heart of the plan and it will putt a good swing on it. You know, I failed in my previous set bat, so I wanted to make up for.
Speaker 2: It, make a great all season on But probably what was it like?
Speaker 5: Washington out there two and great his whole Dodger career, his whole Japanese career. He's just a great pitcher, he really is. He's special. When you have that kind of velossit on your heater splitters at ninety three and eighty four, and you can put the ball wherever you want to strike zone. It doesn't matter how hard you throw. If you hit spots, hitters can't hit it. He's a special pitcher, and glad he's on our side.
Speaker 6: Barely halfway past, you know, just past the halfway more and you have the fifteen game league.
Speaker 2: I mean that sounds absurd.
Speaker 7: What's appeal like?
Speaker 5: Just we've got a good team and we're playing really good baseball. That's what happens.
Speaker 2: Andy to heat his first Yeah, special is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this should be a second. I think you should have had it last year. And he's been great for a couple of years now, so I'm glad he's getting the recognition. So I'm glad the fans are gonna get the seam in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Freddy Freeman talking about the All Star nod and nobody even asked him about is well. I guess he touched on it a little bit, but he had a good game as the Dodgers shut out the Padres tonight three to nothing. They have now played ninety games to begin this season with fifty nine wins, best record in baseball, but also have started the season not playing a single extra inning game, and the two thousand and five Red Sox, if you remember us sharing that story with you, has the record of ninety eight games to open the season without playing extras. The Dodgers have played ninety without playing extra innings. Offense, pitching in defense, and also the bullpen. The back end of the bullpen has been phenomenal even without Edwin Diaz, and they're going to get a boost starting tomorrow night because Evan Phillips is going to be activated before the game. We'll hear from Evan a little bit later. But let's go out to the phones tonight. Jony, was that Dodger Stadium on the fourth of July. How you doing, Joni, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hi, David.
Speaker 6: My sister and I were at the game last night, which was awesome, and we also were at tonight's game, and I have a question for you. The bottom of the seventh inning, Alex Friedland was up to bat and he struck out and his bat flew into the netting behind home plate. There was a fan in the front row who grabbed the bat and pulled it through the netting. So I was wondering, does he get to keep it? Because the ushers came down and they took him up to the whatever walkway and they they were talking and then and then they took the bat. Of course we bowed them, and yes, they booed the usher because he took They took the bat from the fan. So I was wondering, does the bat, I mean, does the fan get to keep the bat? Do they compensate him or does he get bub kiss.
Speaker 2: Gets bupkiss. I think I've heard of this before. The bat is property of the Dodgers and the player. And let's say the player really likes swinging that bat. He's not giving that up to a fan. It's not a baseball.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well we kind of thought that, but we thought, well, you know, well, you know.
Speaker 2: May sometimes that happens. I've heard that. I heard your friend in the background. Sometimes it does happen where the player will exchange a bat that he doesn't want to use anymore to the fan for the actual bat that they caught that goes into the stands, but that that fan ripped it from the netting. I don't know. That's a different circumstance, especially with the netting now, a lot of bats are not getting through there.
Speaker 8: Right right, Okay, okay, So that was my first thing.
Speaker 6: And then also I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 8: Could you do me a favor?
Speaker 6: Could you talk to Miguel Rojas and ask him to teach the younger players had a bunch because Migail Rojas is an awesome bunter. And I was at a game last week or the week before where Alex Friedlan was trying to bunt and he bunted it like right back to the to the picture, and it was like, I.
Speaker 2: Remember that Tony. Miguel Rojas is a really good bunter. But I will say this. The day after that, even some of the coaches, veteran coaches were saying, that was a nasty pitch trying to bunt. It's not as easy as Joni coming back from the game thinks, or David vassay thanks to lay down a bunt with ninety five sink in diving down. It's not as easy as you think.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, I know that that's true, but I mean, Miguel Rojas is a phenomenal bunter, and he says and he makes it look easy. That's why I think that, you know, he makes it look easy. So I know it's not easy, but Miguel makes it look easy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jony, thanks for the phone call, Call back anytime. Good questions. By the way, got good news from Miguel Rojas before the game today. He told me that his wife and kids, who were in Venezuela when those twin earthquakes hit. Arrived in Miami today, so they were able to get to the United States in Miami their home here, and Miguel certainly has a weight off his shoulders knowing that his wife and kids are here safely in Florida and then they'll be heading here to La to be with their pops. So definitely a scary time for Miguel Rojas and we're very, very thankful that they were able to get here safely. So that's great news regarding Miguel Rojas. Let's go out to Maddie, who was also at the Fourth of July party. How you doing, Maddie.
Speaker 8: I'm good. How are you tonight?
Speaker 2: Doing great?
Speaker 8: I'm glad.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: First, I just want to say happy Fourth of July to everybody. That's great news about Rojas's family. That's you know, super stressful for him. I just want to pull in and give some some cheers and praise to the pitching staff tonight, Yama looked stone dialed in. It was actually insane to see. I think that's the first time I've seen him in person and that was just really awesome to see. And then pitchingstaff came in Bessie a client at the end. That was so good to see. I just loved it. I have to give some praise out to them. I hope somehow this gets back to them. They did so awesome shutting out the Padres.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to ask you a question. I think you've heard me before, Maddie say, with my life on the line, if I needed to pick a current player to get a hit with my life on the line, there is no doubt it would be Freddy Freeman. If your life is on the line and you needed a starting pitcher for one game, don't you think it would be Yamamoto. I don't Otani, Blake Snell, all these guys. It's Yamamoto for me right now. If my life was on the line, if I needed to win one game, Yamamoto's my guy.
Speaker 8: I think, honestly, they're all so good. But I have to agree with you. I think right now he's so locked in and so dialed in, I just don't think there's another option at this point.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 8: I mean, every time he goes out, he's so lights out pitching, and you know, I see players from all other teams kind of swinging out of their shoes, and he's just so fun to watch play and pitch in some of the plays he's made up the mound, and honestly, I have to agree with that because they're all great. Like I said, but he's he's so dialed in right now.
Speaker 2: No doubt he's been dialed in ever since the second half of twenty twenty four. Thanks for the phone call, Maddy appreciated. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. He is the reigning World Series MVP and he has not let up Game one starter the ACE. It's Yamamoto of this staff and there's no doubt about that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of show, Hey O Taani. He was not in the starting lineup tonight. The Dodgers, if you were listening, said that they were going to give him the day off, which they did. Tommy Edmund was in center field tonight leading off Andy Pajz, the newest All Star was the DH and Dave Roberts said, it's basically day to day and there are some that believe that the Dodgers should skip Otani's final start before the All Star Game, which would be next Friday, and that's hard to argue. I think I would agree with that. How about just skip one more start, It's just one more how about if we just skip next Friday. I think that makes sense for everybody involved, especially the team trying to get Otani not worn out and run down by the finish line of the regular season. Not to mention, the lead the Dodgers have is ridiculous, the largest division lead in all of baseball. With your Dodgers leading the West by fourteen games, the Padres are two games under five hundred now. They're not even in second place anymore. They're fifteen games back after losing their eighth in a row. The Diamondbacks are fourteen back. They're a five hundred team right now. And like I said at the beginning of this series, where the Dodgers and Padres were going to hook up seven times in the last ten days that concludes tomorrow, this was the only chance for the Padres to have any semblance of hope they could close the gap between them and the Dodgers, and the Dodgers are the team that sent them into this eight game losing streak. Spiral started last Saturday night, and the Padres the emotional team they are have not been able to come out of it, and they were so emotionally high coming into Dodgers Stadium with a six to nothing lead after inning and a half that they were stunned, shell shocked after losing twenty three to three in Chicago Go that the Dodgers came back to beat them twelve to seven. Uh Ta Oscar Hernandez after an error by Jake Cronenworth last night in the seventh inning, gave the Dodgers the lead for good with a Grand Slam. So the Padres are in a complete spiral right now and only have really two reliable starting pitchers in Michael King and Walker Buehler. So this is not looking good for San Diego. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of not looking good for the Padres, the Dodgers are looking to sweep this four game series. They got Emedd Sheen on the mount tomorrow and they're getting back Evan Phillips, who had Tommy John surgery last June. He pitched last night in Oklahoma City to complete his rehab appearance, and Dave Roberts said earlier today Phillips will be activated tomorrow and the super reliever was our guest on the pregame show earlier today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I think it'll be interesting to see, like how my body responds to all this again.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's the last.
Speaker 9: Layer that all rehab guys I've ever talked to, you know, talk about at the end of this thing is you can't simulate major league environments. You can't simulate the workload that we're gonna have to have. So we tried our best. You really overdo it with the tolerance there and in Triple A, and that's why I feel like I threw in, you know, a handful of games more than maybe I needed to. But we're really trying to make sure when when I do get back, that I'm fully ready to go and ready to help this team win.
Speaker 2: All Right, there was Evan Phillips on the pregame show. He'll be back in active in that Dodger bullpen for tomorrow night's finale of this four game series. So you got Tanner Scott, you got Evan Phillips, you got Brock Stewart, you got Will Klein, who saved his second game of the year. You got Alex Vesia and then you're getting Edwin Diaz back after the All Star break. This Dodger bullpen is looking nastier and deeper than ever be, honestly since twenty twenty four. Quite honestly, that's how good they've been so far. And that's how much better they're going to be with Evan Phillips and Edwin Diaz on their way back. And like I mentioned last night, it got to fifty five and zero now when the Dodgers have the lead after eight innings and they're getting Evan Phillips back pretty good. All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue more of your phone calls, we'll check in with Jose Mota and you'll hear from Alisi or Alfonso, the twenty six year old catcher was called up today. The Dodgers option Chucky Robinson down and called up Alfonso, who is has some mixed emotions these days, his dad and his family and Venezuela still dealing with the earthquake. And we'll let him share his story with you when we continue on Dodger Talk. After the Dodgers shut out the Padres three to nothing on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassen. Two ball, no strike pitch to Freddy Freeman is swings hits a drive, d flight, center pail way back.
Speaker 10: It does test Poston.
Speaker 2: Home run for Freddy.
Speaker 10: Home run number fifteen for Freeman, NX two Nothling Dodgers, Freddy Freeman with his showing everybody that he's still frisky Frisky Freddy fifteenth home run of the year.
Speaker 2: It was a leadoff home run in the sixth inning off of Kyle Hart, the Padres left handed reliever, after Griffin Canning came out of the game. He came into the game as the bulk innings pitcher after Wandy Peralta started the game, and Canning was doing a nice job. Don't really know why he was taken out of the game after only seventy three pitches and four innings, but obviously Craig Stamon knows his team better than I do. But the Dodgers were very happy Canning was out because he was pitching better than I've seen Griffin Canning pitch in a long time. Canning's records one and six and his ERA is six seventy one, so that's not a feeling, that's a fact. Yamamoto nine and five after going seven shutout innings with ten strikeouts, and Will kleinb his second save of the season. Freddie Freeman, by the way, drove in two of the dodgers three runs. Andy pa has had an RBI single in the third inning. Freddy drove in Edmund in the eighth inning on one hundred mile an hour fastball from Mason Miller. The Dodgers, by the way, are looking for a four game sweep of the Padres tomorrow for the first time since two thousand and nine. At Dodgers Stadium. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit a five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, Happy fourth of July. I hope you got to see the fireworks on the way out.
Speaker 7: Oh, it was great. People are playing it careful, so I hope that people continue, you know, be aware of other people too. But it's a nice celebration. I mean for this great country. What a great moment and what a great victory today for the boys in Blue.
Speaker 2: Nothing says America more than Yamamoto dominating tonight seven shutout innings. It was fun to watch. Even Dalton Rushing said he was having a great time catching those pitches from Yamamoto.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you say that, because talking to Rushing going back to last year about Yamamoto and what is like to catch him, he goes, I would want to hit against him because every time I put my glove on one spot, he hits it with authority and the termination. And I know one thing that Yoshi was telling me it's very training to day, was he wanted to really be more consistent against right handed batters bottom of the order and using his fastball. So let me give you a couple things about his fastball. Okay, opponents came into this game hitting one fifty seven against his fastball. Okay, it's ninety seven to ninety eight on the average. Right, But then how about lowering the fastball and not being so determined to miss bats upstairs against his low fastball, hitters are hitting zero ninety four. This guy knows how to figure it out. That's why, you know, kind by rushing makes so much sense. And the fact that he's so hard to hit. You can sit fastball, yes, but he has the ability to run it in so many directions and a lot of times his four seamer runs like a two seamer, fading in on rities and then pitching inside. It's been just a plus for him. When he is pitched inside, he has been unhittable, and that is one fact that separates him from the other guy. And think about this, to Dave, his usage of the split finger is not what we've seen in the last couple of seasons because he's been so effective getting guys out of the you know, off the plate that he's able to finish your all the fastballs away or using that slider, which is very good again here tonight, it kind.
Speaker 2: Of felt like tonight was the best we've seen Yamamoto splitter in a while. He'd been hanging them up in the zone and got hurt with home runs. It seems like tonight was the best we've seen.
Speaker 7: I think so too, because the finish and then think about that, it seems like it was really popping the glove. And you know the velocity that he had, which is really not anything over what he throws, but he has a lot of life behind it. He does some exercises between stars like only Yamamoto can that really allow him to get behind the ball and they to get the finish off his fingers to stay behind it. But happened without pushing the ball just have a little more drive as it gets into the zone. I mean, he was popping that glove. He was allowing guys to take a look at the fastball, try to calculate, but was coming and he just couldn't catch up with it. Phil And the other thing I didn't do to there was, you know, tinker with location so much. In other words, when he has got trouble and gets into deeper counts, he's trying to be too fine with the pitches just off the gray area, right. But it was like, you know what, I have enough life to know that if I throw it somewhere near the zone, you're gonna miss it, you know, not catch up with it and not catching up with it is one of the most important things he's learned here in the big leagues. Gus will hit you if you miss enough in the zone. But as Freddy Freeman even says, he's he is a dart thrower who just puts the ball what he wants. He's fun to watch, he has great pace, and he makes all his fielders also, Dave a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us. After the Dodgers hand the Padres their eighth straight loss, shutting out San Diego three to nothing. Show hey Otani was not in the starting lineup, Dave Roberts said that would be the case. Edmund in center piez the d and there's even some that suggests that the Dodgers should skip Otani's last start next Friday. I kind of agree with that. Jose. Do you feel like that's what the Dodgers may do? And do you feel like there's better ways or different ways to manage Otani in the second half of the season to keep him fresh.
Speaker 7: Answer number one is I think will be ideal to have him not start again. You don't know how this BICICP situation is going to react to the bullpen that he has to still throw at full power. He's not going to throw a bullpen at seventy five percent. This just doesn't work for show. Hey, he wants to know that if he says I'm pitching, he's going to go out there and just let it fly. Do we want him to let a fly right now? I don't think there's any need for that. He has a feel for pitching. We know that he can go out there and compete a seventy five percent, but it's not necessarily right now. Imagine him in the second half of the season. I think there's been some notes being taken about what's happened in the first half, to keep him as fresh as possible, to protect him from himself, and to let him know that his stuff is not going to suffer. I know that, you know, the eight days off maybe got in the way of some things that Dodgers knew something that perhaps we knowing wanted to get more time. But I think you take notes with this guy and just explain it to him and let him know that it's all for the best and for the long run, and also for an additional month of baseball that you want to play. But I do them. I see them make an adjustments, you know, getting together with Show and his representatives to say this is the plan that we have going ahead. And I think is going to be beneficial to him. And I think he understands more because by the way, he's having a birthday tomorrow, and you know he's not getting any younger. He's thirty two now, poor guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think he plays on his birthday?
Speaker 7: I think he will. I think he wants to test the armor at least from the batting side to say hey, I'm fine. He wants to be a part of it. I believe he will play, all right.
Speaker 2: Hose, We'll see you back out here tomorrow night for Sunday Night Baseball on the fifth of July.
Speaker 7: Fadi's Domingo to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jose, great to have you on again, and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Buy there he goes, Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz, who is having a twenty twelve thirteen Dodger reunion before the game today with the shredder Nick Punto. That was a throwback right there, seeing Coachito with Nick Punto former Dodger teammates, and always great to have Nick Punto back at Dodgers Stadium. I always call that the Nick Punto trade right back in twenty twelve. Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett, they were all throw ins to acquire Punto in August of twenty twelve. And Punto is a coach with the Padres. They're lucky to have him. Maybe maybe Punto wants to go player coach, you know, I I think they might need that Punto fire leading off tomorrow night on Sunday Night Baseball eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, the Dodgers having four starters in this year's All Star Game is something that hasn't happened since nineteen eighty. That's when the All Star Game was here at Dodgers Stadium. Do you remember who the four starter were for the Dodgers that year, Well, three of them were infielders. Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, and Reggie Smith were nineteen eighty National League starters where the game was played right here at Dodgers Stadium. This year in Philadelphia it'll be Pajez, Muncie Freeman, and o'tani. Earlier today, the Dodgers called up Elisia Alfonso, a guy that had a great spring training, has been hitting over three hundred for Triple A Oklahoma City, and they sent down Chuckie Robinson. I know Dave Roberts is a big fan of Elizia Alfonso. Miguel Rojas played with his dad in Venezuela, who's a Venezuelan legend. His dad was an Elisia Alfonso senior who had you know, four or five years in the big leagues, but certainly one of the great players in Venezuelan history. And Elisia Alfonso was in the clubhouse earlier to day and I had a chance to catch up with him about the call up and also the mixed emotions because his dad is dealing with the earthquake in Venezuela, still looking for his wife, and also looking for Alisia Alfonso's younger sister, who's sixteen years old. Here's the story of Alisia Alfonso, who may make his major league debut tomorrow night on Sunday Night Baseball. So where were you when you got the call and what were the emotions like.
Speaker 11: Oh, I was at home with my girlfriend after the game last night. We were looking the tails homer last night in social media, and he was curious because I talked to her like, well, look at that monfre over there. I wish I could be there like soon. And then when we went to bed to rest, like half hour after, I looked like my phone is alied on. When I look, guy is Scott Hennessy calling to me last night? And I got the I got the promotion. It was super emotional. I went and grabbed my phone and called my family down there in Minnesota to let them know what's going on, because they were being expected for this like a long time ago, especially like all the difficults that we've been going through, especially with my family and my sister, my little sister, after the earthquake, staff and all that. I got to my dad, I let him know that I was coming here. It was really really, really special.
Speaker 2: Lizia, what is the status of your family? I know you're still looking for your stepmom and your sister. What's the situation there?
Speaker 1: Still the same?
Speaker 11: Like stand by, you know, like we haven't found them yet. My dad found my sister. Mascot yesterday she was alive, so that's a good good thing. So we were still expecting that to found them soon and hopefully they're they're alive because my sister, like three weeks ago, she she told me, like, brother, I have a beautiful dream with you. I'm not gonna tell you what was it because I want, I want, I want that dream to come through and then I will let you know what what what is it? And now she's over there, I don't know, hopefully I can, I can look at her again. I'm pretty sure the dream was something about this, about what's going on with me right now on my career, and I want her back that way she can watch me playing in the big leagues, because I'm pretty sure the dream that she was going to tell me about was something like like this, about this.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and the blessings will be there for you and your family for sure. Is it hard to keep your emotions focused on baseball with all.
Speaker 11: This last week? It was a little tough, but thankfully I got really good teammates. I feel like the organization was helping me a lot, from the bottom to the top and from top here to the bottom. They were always on my side. They're being supporting me a lot, texting me, asking about my family every day, taking care of me and my family, and I really appreciate that. That makes me feel a little more comfortable, like because I feel like this is my other family, you know, this is the people that I expend the most of the time on my life.
Speaker 1: On the year.
Speaker 11: So having people like this is really important to me, and I feel that that makes everything feels a little better to me.
Speaker 2: And they put your locker right next to Chinon Venezuelan, Miguel Rojas. How much having him next to you, how much does that mean?
Speaker 11: It makes allah? He welcomed me during spring training. I had a visa issue. I got laid to the camp first time with the team. I was like a little nervous getting late to the camp because of the visa.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 11: He's being there from the first day that I signed with the Doyer, which is really good. He texted me early today when he saw that I was coming here. When he found out, he takes me like, hey, brother, I'm waiting for you here. I know it's a tough moment that what's going on with your family right now, but I'm really grateful to have you here. I'm really happy for you that you're you're making your dream come true. Hopefully you made the debut soon with us. It's really special and having him with me is super special because he played with my dad at the end of his career and now I can play with him at at this point. So it means a lot to me, especially the time of person that he is. Who are rep send him for all the Venezuelan players, I'm not just a players, the human being that he is. You know that means a love for me, and I'm pretty sure for every Venezuelan player and every Venezuelan family that means a.
Speaker 2: Love for me. Well, I know a lot of people spoke highly of you in spring training. I know, Miguel Rojas, thanks the world of you, and we're keeping your family in our prayers. But we're so happy that you're here. You definitely earned it. So congratulations.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate you.
Speaker 11: I'm really excited about this opportunity that the team is given to me, and I'm gonna do my best to help the team to keep winning games and win another championship.
Speaker 2: How about that? Bigger than baseball? At least You're Alfonso. What a story, what a flood of emotions in that conversation, and we are keeping his family in our prayers, and we hope that they can find his step mom and his younger sister who's only sixty years old, out of the buildings that collapsed in the earthquakes in Venezuela. And what he was saying, and the way Rojas explained it to me earlier today, is that their dog, the sixteen year old sister's dog, was able to get out of the rubble, and they're hopeful. His dad is very hopeful that he is going to be able to find his family very soon, and we are keeping our fingers crossed for that to happen. So Alisia Alfonso getting the call up twenty six years old, may make his major league debut tomorrow night on Sunday Night Baseball. Dealing with all these emotions, but the good news is he has Miguel Rojas right by his side, so really special. Wasn't expecting all that, but that was a lot of emotions right there, and happy you got to know Alisia Alfonso's story before he steps foot on the field for the first time wearing that Dodger uniform that'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk Sunday Night Baseball, the Dodgers are looking for their sixtieth win of the year. Fifty nine and thirty is the best record the Dodgers have had through their first ninety games since twenty twenty two. They were sixty and thirty that season. They're looking for their sixtieth win tomorrow night with Emi Sheen on the mound. She's four and five with an ERA of five zero eight, going up against JP Sears, who is acquired from the A's with Mason Miller. Sears is won and one this season with an ERA of six ninety seven. Our coverage begins tomorrow at three o'clock with first pitch at four to twenty with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson on Sunday Night Baseball. Thanks to Colin Ye for all his help back at the Burbanks studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at the ballpark, and thanks to you for listening. Hope you were safe, Hope you're being safe. On this beautiful fourth of July. It was a great fireworks show here after the Dodgers shut out the Padres three to nothing. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. If you want to share the interviews with Evan Phillips and Alisi Alfonso or Tommy Edmund yesterday, the iHeartRadio app is where to go all free, don't have to pay a cent to get all your Dodger content once again. The final score tonight on the fourth of July, the Dodgers shut out the Padres three to nothing. Have a great rest of your night. Be safe. See us
Speaker 7: App