Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up in about twelve minutes, you'll hear from Joe Flacco. About fourteen minutes you'll hear from Logan Wilson.
Speaker 1: It's here for my next guest.
Speaker 2: The most powerful voice in Chicago sports for going on four decades, Chicago Land Sports Hall of Famer talks Bengals or Bears each morning on ESPN one thousand and the recap on YouTube. That would be none other than my guy, David Kaplan. How are you, Lance, my guy?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm just out in the field giving you a reporter as I.
Speaker 4: Was telling your fine producer, uh, trick.
Speaker 1: Or treating with my grandkids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as I walk around the neighborhood and waiting to talk to you about the Bears and the Bengals.
Speaker 1: And I get to be on with you on the station of Tom Brenneman, who I love. Yeah, that's our guy, absolutely all right.
Speaker 2: So Ben Johnson was the hot coaching name this offseason. He picked you guys, they're four and three. How does that compare to how does that feel in relation to expectations for this team going in?
Speaker 3: I think people were thrilled when he said I want to coach the Chicago Bears because last year, if you'll remember the owners of the Commanders, the new ownership group, Josh Harrison Company. We're on a private jet flying to Detroit to offer him the job, and he got word to the pilot I'm out, I'm not interested. I want another year in Detroit.
Speaker 1: And then he said, two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: You know one of the reasons I wanted this job. First of all, we had unfinished business with the Lions, but I wanted.
Speaker 1: To coach that guy, Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: And he said, has been bumpy, got times, but he said, we're making progress and we're just going to keep grinding and keep working. And I think this is a really interesting matchup on Sunday because, look, you.
Speaker 1: Guys can put points up. I just don't know if you can stop anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't know either. I don't think they can. You mentioned Caleb Williams. Has has he been in your number? Has he been good? Has he been okay?
Speaker 1: How would you describe how he's been inconsistent? Up and down? You know, we play, we lose.
Speaker 3: The first two games the Bears, the first fifteen plays.
Speaker 1: You'll see it on Sunday. He's gonna look like a wizard.
Speaker 3: He is going to execute the script at fifteen plays will go right down the field and then do we get it in the end zone or do we kick a field goal? Usually is what happened last week against the Ravens. Two great drives and they stall inside the ten and they have to kick field goals and then the Ravens get a touchdown and we're losing seven to six. We end up losing that game thirty to sixteen. He threw one terrible interception from four yards deep in his own end zone and that was the ballgame. But then he plays the Dallas Cowboys. We're zero to two and he has four touchdown passes, and I mean he made it thrown last week. Lance that if you pull it up and look at the throw to DJ Moore, he gets obliterated and he flat foot throws it, you know, forty five yards in the air, rightness thing, and he catches it and gets down inside the five.
Speaker 1: He could do the wow. I don't know yet if he can do the checkdown.
Speaker 3: Ho just take the six yard checkdown of the running back and let's live to fight another day.
Speaker 2: Among the injuries, no running back dere Swift on Sunday. How significant is that.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been good, he's been very, very good. But the kids that they drafted out of Rutgers in the seventh round, Kyle Mnung guy, he's gonna get the lion's share of the carries. Now, we don't have a very deep running back room. Manung Guy's good?
Speaker 1: Is he break away fast?
Speaker 3: And you look and go wow, I don't know how we're handling that guy. No, but we have a pretty solid offensive line.
Speaker 1: Look, this team is.
Speaker 3: Not without weapons and stars.
Speaker 4: It's not on the offensive side.
Speaker 3: You have the tenth overall picket right tackle. You've got a fourteen million dollar right guard. You've got a fourteen million dollar center. You have a seventeen million dollar in the last two years first team All Pro Joe Tooney at left guard. You've got the number one picket quarterback.
Speaker 4: You have the twenty seven and a half million.
Speaker 1: Dollar receiver in Dj Moore, the ninth overall pick.
Speaker 3: In rome A Duneese, another top ten pick and another wide receiver, tense pick overall Colston leveland from Michigan, a tight end and a twelve million dollar tight end. And Cole Kamenzi's going to play so this is not like they haven't put assets into this team.
Speaker 2: Bears have committed twenty eight more penalties than their opponents, three games with double digits. What's going on with the penalties?
Speaker 3: That is one of the things that is driving Ben Johnson insane. And he finally washed his hands with it after last week's game when we had eleven more penalties.
Speaker 1: He said, look, this can't happen.
Speaker 3: We're second most penaltized team in the National Football League twenty six pre snap, false start type.
Speaker 1: Penalties or illegal motion. And we have veteran players. It's not like we've got a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of you know, bums out there. Even Joe Tooney jumped last week and that's his first in two years. So he said, I'm calling the veteran leadership committee in and I'm putting it on them. They better figure it out, because you know, last week you have a huge opportunity and all of a sudden you have a big play down the field, illegal formation on the offense. What then we had a punt. We have a really good punter, Tory Taylor from Iowa. And whether you think they should use.
Speaker 1: A fourth thrown pick on a punter or not, the point is they did.
Speaker 3: He booms a fifty nine yarder that rolls down at the one, and there's a flag on the play. Yeah, illegal formation on the kicking teams, and we bring it all the way back and now that they get the ball at the twenty.
Speaker 1: Something, it's like, what are we doing here? Shooting ourselves in the foot.
Speaker 3: So they have a good team. They got to clean up the nonsense, all right.
Speaker 2: What I think Bears, One of the things that comes to mind is tight end, and I think Ditkun, I think Emery moorehead and I think Martellis Bennett. It doesn't seem like the tight end is as much of a factor as maybe it could be in this all drew.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent accurate. Well, last week you didn't.
Speaker 3: Have col Co Met he was injured, first game he's missed in his career since twenty twenty. And then Colston Leveland's the tenth overall pick and he has not made the impact that I think all.
Speaker 4: Of us expected.
Speaker 3: You know, we all see Tyler Warren killing it for the Indianapolis Colts, and the Bears took Colston Loveland ahead of him. I saw a quote from Sean McVay. We tried to trade up because we knew Chicago was grabbing him and we liked Colston leveland the best at that position. Right now, the numbers don't bear that out, and so he has got to be better. His blocking has really improved, but his receiving, and that's what he was drafted for, to be a Travis Kelcey style receiver. He gets separation. He's athletic. He can go up and high point a ball. We haven't seen that yet, so hopefully that's going to change here in.
Speaker 1: The next few weeks.
Speaker 2: All Right, once again, you won our yearly bet on who wins more games between the Reds and the Cubs.
Speaker 1: I sent you any.
Speaker 4: Greaters ice cream.
Speaker 3: Boldly bear Cat a night when I'm watching my Chicago Bulls try to get to five and zero.
Speaker 4: Yes, Boldly Bearcat is the greatest.
Speaker 1: Plavor they've ever made.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that answers my question it was gonna be. I assume you're enjoy your Greaters. It sounds like you are. Oh, it is so good.
Speaker 3: And I said to my wife, Hey, there's ice cream incoming. She's like, boy, you just keep taking advantage of poor Lance.
Speaker 1: He's such a good person at all. He does is keep sending you ice cream every year. That's what Kelly says as well. She says, what are you gonna win? A bet? It's gonna take a while.
Speaker 3: We have a pretty good young team, the Cubs. I just don't understand how you could sit in our ballpark, have an amazing environment, beat the Padres, get to the next round, you lose in game five and not.
Speaker 1: Go all right, I'm pushing my chips in.
Speaker 3: Let's go get another elite starter. Let's go get another elite bullpen ar. No, we'll spend the most in the division.
Speaker 4: But that's you know, that doesn't say a lot.
Speaker 1: Let me put it that way here, all right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you making time during trick or treating my best to Mindy and the family.
Speaker 1: All right, best of Kelly and the family. And let me just tell you, I think you're.
Speaker 3: Not gonna like this, but I do think the Bears win this.
Speaker 1: Thirty one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could say I think we'll score a little bit more than that, but I also think we'll give up a little bit.
Speaker 1: More than that.
Speaker 4: Okay, thirty eight twenty.
Speaker 1: Nine, Now that would not shock me. There you go, thanks, Cap, you know the best I'll brought him in high all right, I will thank you sir.
Speaker 2: There he is David Kaplan checking in in the middle of trigger treating in Chicago with these grandkids.
Speaker 1: We'll come back.
Speaker 2: We hear what Joe Flacco said this afternoon. You'll hear what Logan Wilson has said about a trade that next RNL Carrier Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Chevalete seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: It will be a big twelve frid iron jem.
Speaker 1: When you see heads west and tackle you.
Speaker 5: To our football Bearcats look to annihilate the altitude and up in the utes.
Speaker 1: It's a conference clash.
Speaker 5: Catch the call live Saturday at nine fifteen pm on seven hundred WLW or string for free on the new and improved iHeartRadio app.