Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again. We're here.
Speaker 2: We running back to get in on the show called eight six six seven two seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are live at Nationals Park as we are waiting first pitch between the Dodgers and Nationals in the final game of this three game series. Right now, the rain is still falling here in our nation's capitol, and the groundscrew is extensive here.
Speaker 1: It's not like Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: They got a lot of people here because of this type of weather that shows up virtually seemingly every time the Dodgers come to town and when they leave town, the weather still is a wildcart and it comes to playing baseball in Washington, d C. They're squeezing the tarp right now as trying to get some of that water off the tarp as the rain continues to fall. And yesterday, as I was standing next to the Dodger dugout waiting to go on the field to interview the player of the game, Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 1: I was talking to some of.
Speaker 2: The ground Screw people and I said, Oh, what do you think we're gonna play tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Not play tomorrow?
Speaker 2: They said, ah, the rain stop said three thirty Eastern times, So it seems like they were right on point. I wouldn't expect this game to start on this beautiful easter Sunday anytime before twelve.
Speaker 1: O'clock Pacific time.
Speaker 2: From the people that know the most, and that's the ground Screw, they have a whole radar system set up here in Philadelphia at National's Park. It serious business to try to figure out the rain patterns here on the East Coast. And speaking of that, talking to people that are in the know in Major League Baseball, even the Yankees and Red Sox are looking at the weather and may have a rain delay because the rain that's here in Washington, DC is stretching out all across the eastern seaboards. So there's rain on the East Coast in different and affecting different games.
Speaker 1: As well.
Speaker 2: As far as the Dodgers go, nothing is changing pitching wise, Roki Sasaki will make the start today whenever this game is underway. Tomorrow, Justin Robleski will start for the Dodgers in Toronto. Remember Justin pitched in five different World Series games last year and did not give up a single run.
Speaker 1: So he'll be back on the mound in Toronto.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers will be back in Toronto tomorrow, and everybody is anticipating that. You heard our interview with Justin earlier today. Look, we are all excited. The fans in Toronto are going to be very excited, and certainly the Dodgers are ready to go when it comes to going back to Toronto and getting ready to play that game, play that series. And like Rick Monday and I were talking about, yes, you're excited, I'm excited. The players are, I would say, looking forward to this. But it's not going to change anything that happened last October between the Dodgers and Blue Jays. The Dodgers are the back to back World Series champions. But you know, this is a rare occurrence where you go back to the same place where you won the World Series, whether it's the Dodgers or any other team. Take for instance, last year it was the Yankees turn to come to LA and the Dodgers did not go back to Yankee Stadium last year after winning the World Series in the Bronx, So this is definitely great scheduling by Major League Baseball. No knowing that the Dodgers were going to Toronto this year. To have the Dodgers going back to Rogers Center on the first road trip of the season certainly was good scheduling. And there is going to be national televised games Tuesday is TBS.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, Fox Sports one.
Speaker 2: So look, even this early in the season, when baseball isn't really on the national TV platform middle of the week, you're finding ways to get them on.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Robleski tomorrow, Yamamoto Tuesday, and show hey Otani in the finale of the three game series in Toronto, and all three of these pitchers played a pivotal role in the World Series. I mean, honestly, Otani does not have great memories of pitching in Toronto because he gave up that three run home run to Bob Bishett And I can't think of a time that I ever saw Otani look defeated on the mound. Then I saw when he gave up that three run home run to Bob Baschetti was doubled over and that made you feel a little bit in doubt that are the Dodgers going to be able to pull out this Game seven victory, especially when they're seemingly superhero superhuman player was made to look human for the.
Speaker 1: First time in a long time in a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 2: I would say, honestly, that was the only time in the two years that Otani has been with the Dodgers that you could say it was a deflating moment, and somehow, some way, the Dodgers were able to come back. You know, one one play, couple of plays involving Max Muncy that goes unnoticed in Game seven as well, was when Andris and Menez was at the plate and they took the bunt playoff. There was a runner at second base, I can't remember who it was. Runner at second base laid in the game and they could have had an insurance run there and they chose not to bun. Instead, Jim Menez hit a rocket right at Munsey. He made the catch, and if you go back and watch the replay of that line drive catch by Moncie he's even shaking his head and say, wow, that was a screamer right at me an insure two to away from his glove. That's a base hit to left field and a run scores, and maybe more so, I heard Dave Roberts say this again this morning to Nationals broadcaster. There were so many pressure point moments that the Dodgers were fortunate to have go their way in Game six and Game seven. So look, it was one of those World Series that the Dodgers, you know, had a lot of had somebody from above looking out for him because there were so many plays that could have gone against them in Game six and Game seven, and somehow.
Speaker 1: Some way it went their way.
Speaker 2: And here they are, back to back World Series champions and arguably a better team than they were a year ago.
Speaker 1: Now a year older as well.
Speaker 2: And that brings us to Mookie Betts, who we've talked about extensively already today. But the MRI results showed a strained right oblique and you heard Steven Nelson mention that he was talking to Mooki about it on the bus and Mooki reminded him that he went through this in twenty eighteen when he won his won and only MVP award in the American League, and that was his best season in baseball. I'm looking back at some of the stories when he did strain his oblique.
Speaker 1: First of all, it was on the other side.
Speaker 2: It was his left obliquees aside that he strained back in twenty eighteen and he missed two weeks. So if history is any indication of how long Mooki Bets may be out with this right oblique strain, at least two weeks. And the Dodger called hey Sung Kim, and he is going to be part of the mix at shortstop. Dave Roberts said he's gonna basically shift the platoon that he had at second base, and Alex Friedland now is going to get a lot of time against right He's and lefties at second base, and he's going to platoon at shortstop with Kim and Rojas.
Speaker 1: Today, Rojas is.
Speaker 2: In the starting lineup, and I can't wait to see the reception Rojas gets in Toronto tomorrow when his name is introduced. I really hope he's in the starting lineup tomorrow in Toronto. So Rojas is in there today, and really that's the biggest question now. You can handle defensively figuring out shortstop for the Dodgers with Rojas especially, and mixing and Kim here and there. But now who's going to hit third for the Dodgers. That's a big spot in the order. Is it going to be Taoscar Hernandez like he is today?
Speaker 1: Is it going to be Will Smith? That would be my choice.
Speaker 2: I would have hitting third and Pahz or te Oscar hitting fifth behind Freddie Freeman against right handed pitching. But Paz is the hottest hitter in this Dodger lineup and arguably in major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: He's hitting five hundred and he's.
Speaker 2: Played all eight games, three home runs, ten RBIs, And the biggest thing that stands out to me about Paz is the fact that, yes, he's struck out five times, but I mean he's only walked once, but he only has five strikeouts. And Jose Motive brought this up during the postgame show yesterday. The fact that Piz is seeing more pitches per at bat than we saw last year. That's all a sign of maturity and also trying to figure out what works best for Paz. Don't try to change him and turn him into Max Munsey where he's going to see nine or ten pitches and walk.
Speaker 1: That's not him.
Speaker 2: And Jose even mentioned to us that he's getting less information.
Speaker 1: Some guys don't want all that information.
Speaker 2: In fact, Kyle Tucker told me in spring training he's more along the lines of less is more when it comes to information. Don't overload me with information, don't overload me with all this technology stuff. I'm more towards the Freddie Freeman spectrum of hitting. And Freddie does not, you know, take twenty thousand swings in the cage. He's in there for, you know, probably a good fifteen to twenty minutes, not overdoing it.
Speaker 1: And that's the type of guy Tucker is as well.
Speaker 2: And Tucker is getting the day off today as well, scheduled day off, so Tucker sits and Mooki is on the IL. So the Dodgers starting lineup today is Otani Rojas, Teoscar Hernandez, Freddie Freeman, Andy Paez, Alex call who is making a second straight start. Max Munsey gets a scheduled day off as well. Santiago Espinal is in there against the lefty Foster Griffin. Dalton Rushing is making his first start of the year behind the plate and Alex Freeland in there against Griffin and he'll be hitting from the right side. Freeland is a switch hitter. So that's the Dodgers order today. Whenever this game gets underway, and it will get played, nobody wants to come back here.
Speaker 1: Just get this.
Speaker 2: If you have to wait a little bit longer, you're gonna wait a little bit longer. The flight to Toronto is going to be a little bit later. But it feels like everybody's prepared now to hang in there for at least the next two hours before this rain starts to head out of Washington, DC. Hope you're having a great Easter Sunday. This was one of my favorite holidays. I remember my uncle Sal who hosted Easter Sunday at his house every year when I was growing up. He had company tickets to Dodger games, and the schedule would come out, and back then, opening Day wasn't until April, so Easter would fall right around the Dodgers wrapping up spring training in Vero Beach, and I would have my pocket schedule out and I would circle, you know, a handful of games and in the middle of our Easter Sunday, celebration. Uncle Sal would take me to the driveway where his car was parked. He popped the trunk where he had his tickets and he's he would ask me, all right, which games do you want? And he would hook up some reserve level tickets for me. And I usually would bring my cousin or my uncle, my other uncle Ray, because I couldn't drive. I needed somebody to take me to the game. My mom was working, and you know, I needed somebody to take me to the game. So those are the type of memories that baseball gives you, especially on holidays like this on Easter Sunday. So hopefully you have an Uncle Sal somewhere in your life that will pop the trunk for you and give you his company tickets.
Speaker 1: Don't be too greedy, though, Don't be too greedy.
Speaker 2: I actually left a couple of surprises for my kids back home tops baseball cards, put together an Easter egg and inside a pack of cards, so I surprise the kids with that. Easter is actually one of my favorite holidays, maybe for those memories. Fourth of July is another one of my favorite holidays as well. I'll take Fourth of July and Easter any day over Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: I'm a big lamb guy. I love lamb.
Speaker 2: Fun things that you find out about me during a rain delay. Right, and during this raindlay, since it's going to be at least two hours, we're gonna hop on over to the M five seventy LA Sports Instagram page and do a rain delay Instagram Live presented by our friends at Navvy and Tankless water Heaters. So at some point in the next two hours, if you get tired of your family, check out the Instagram Live and we'll be able to We'll have some Dodger talk fun there. You could bring in your questions and you never know who my up. Maybe I'll go ambush Luis Cochito Cruz with the Instagram Live. Yeah, he loves Instagram. This guy is the king of Mexican Instagram. This guy is a Mexican Instagram legend. He's wearing his fancy jumpsuit. Forty thousand followers, but who's counting only Luis's Luis He.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll get you up to forty thousand and one after this.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday by the way, as Instagram now Rick Monday Official. Maybe he'll jump on our Instagram live together. Maybe we'll get you some followers. Rick, all right, that'll do it for us. On this abbreviated edition of rain Delay Dodger Talk. We're gonna send you back to your local programming in whatever market you're at, and here in our Los Angeles flagship headquarters, we'll send you over to Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: Steve Hartman is working on this Sunday, because if he is, you'll be entertained. All right, thanks to Colin Ye, thanks to Dwayne McDonald, Rick Monday, and Steven Nelson in the captain's chair here, we're just waiting for first pitch, so enjoy your Easter Sunday, and we will have Dodger Baseball at some point in time. You could check back on our social media pages and five to seventy LA Sports or mine at the Real Underscore DV and we'll let you know when first pitch is going to happen. Here in Washington, DC, the Dodgers have scored twenty three runs combined in the first two games of this series, so, as Rick likes to say, when the game starts, hopefully there's some more rockets.
Speaker 1: Reg Lair, all right.
Speaker 2: That's it from Washington DC for now. Check back for first pitch talk to you later see it