Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: A Spring Training Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talk, here we go again. We're Goeta running.
Speaker 1: Back, hosted by Dodgers and sider David Basset. Oh yea three peat in the Mexican in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Basset.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk David Bassey, Night three at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. Our final Dodger Talk show this week, but we have four shows next week, so we got a lot, a lot of coverage for you from camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. As your back to back World Series champion Dodgers are getting set not only for a three peat, but also in the near future Game one of the Cactus League schedule, which is coming up on Saturday against the Angels and Tempe, Arizona. Our coverage begins at twelve thirty with first pitch between the Dodgers and Angels at one ten, and then on Sunday, Game two on the road again for the Dodgers. It will be the Padres and Dodgers hooking up for the first time this spring training, and our coverage begins at twelve thirty again with first pitch at one ten. Rick Monday and Tim Neverett will be on all the calls. They are the spring training voices. Every game will be heard on Sports and at LA, and we will have our fair share of games on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: So looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Kicking it off on Saturday Dodgers and Angels from Tempe Arizona and Dave Roberts did say Yoshinobu Yamamoto will start this weekend. I'm starting to believe it's Saturday, and Yamamoto pitched to hitters for two innings yesterday, which means he probably is going to turn it up a notch to at least forty five pitches on Saturday. You could expect Yamamoto more than likely starting Saturday and show hey Otani is expected to make the trip to Tempe Arizona, his former spring training home with the Angels, and he will play Saturday, and Dave Roberts also said that Otani will play on Sunday. So those two guys getting ready not only for the season, but also for the World Baseball Classic. Otani will not be pitching for Team Japan, Yamamoto will be, but he's put in a lot of work this offseason and you just hope that, like I said last night, he keeps the guardrails on himself and is honest with his body. And of course sense YadA, who certainly helped Yamamoto push himself to the limits in Game seven of last year's World Series. Lot of local TV out here at camel Back Ranch today, there they go. They are the dynamic duo. They hold it down locally no matter where they go, with a lot of style right there, no doubt, my guy Kyle and Darren right there, Fox eleven, Kekel two, k CAL nine, CBS two whatever it is they're around, and Steve Brenner certainly helping out local TV. I wish I could get that kind of service right here on Dodgers Radio and five seventy LA Sports. But we have a great show for you tonight. Two young players that got a taste of the big leagues, and certainly are better prepared to be part of this Dodger team after getting their major league debuts last year. Dalton Rushing and Alex Freeland will join us tonight on Dodger Talk coming up at the bottom of the hour and all also Alex Called, but Trek Scooble will not be joining us tonight.
Speaker 3: No matter what the ping try to make you leave.
Speaker 2: Back in December, there goes another local TV guy, David Pingalore.
Speaker 3: Nice guy, nice guy.
Speaker 2: Maybe got a little little too loose with the Twitter in December. We love you Pingalore anyway. Alex Freeland and Alex Call will join us at the at the bottom of the hour, two guys that certainly are going to get another opportunity. Rushing will be on this squad. He will catch, He will play first base. Alex Freeland has a golden opportunity to even be the Dodgers opening day second basement with the injury to Tommy y Edman, who is not going to be ready for opening Day after undergoing right ankle surgery. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, David Vace say, Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports And certainly another young player that everybody's keeping an eye on is James Tibbs, the Third. The Dodgers acquired him in the trade with the Red Sox last year, acquiring him from Boston for Dustin May. He was acquired from the Giants in the Rafael Devers trade. He's a Florida State kid, college player. And we'll hear from Andrew Friedman because we're going to dedicate the bottom of the hour to some of the young players that you all care about, we care about, and the Dodgers are going to need to get through one hundred and sixty two games and you never know who could contribute in a postseason or even World Series game. So we will hear from Andrew Freeman. When it comes to the Dodgers' young outfield prospects. You will hear from young Dalton Rushing and Alex Freeland at the bottom of the hour, and coming up in our next segment, you will hear from Alex call who was acquired at the trade deadline last year and even got to start a couple of World Series games. Certainly is very excited to have made the change from the Nationals who were at the bottom of the NLS to eventual back to back World Series champion Dodgers.
Speaker 3: But before we get to all that, you heard from.
Speaker 2: Blake Trinan, the thirty seven year old veteran reliever for the Dodgers who pushed himself to the limits in Game five of the World Series and the entire twenty twenty four postseason. And if you remember last year, it was a lot of Dodger starters that were starting to come out of the bullpen for the Dodgers, and in twenty twenty four, on the way to the World Championship, it was the Dodger Dogs, aka the Dodger relievers that played a huge part for the Dodgers' run to the World Series against the Yankees. And Blake Trining was one of those bullpen dogs that pushed himself to the limits in twenty twenty four. And there obviously is going to be a residual effect in twenty twenty five. And Blake Trining seemed to battle through all those things and found a way to even pitch in postseason games. And you heard from Blake He admitted the other night that his arm slot, his body wasn't feeling as great as it was feeling a couple of years ago. And Dave Roberts said this morning that he is very encouraged about where he sees Blake tryning in twenty twenty six Latin Tank.
Speaker 4: I know that the age is one thing, but you know, for me, it's what I see and what the ball's doing. And he's healthy again. He's throwing the base all the ball's coming out really well. So I don't think it really for me, I don't care about the age. The body's moving well. He's still strong. And I saw Penn a couple of days ago and a few days ago, and yesterday it's as good as I seen him for the baseball in a while.
Speaker 2: How much can you lean on him? Is it the same type of high leverage situations or given everything that he's gone through and done is a different Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that I certainly trust him. It's going to be high level. How much we lean on him, that's kind of, you know, depending on how he's feeling and who else we have around him and how they're throwing the baseball. But right now he's a full participant and he's throwing the baseball well.
Speaker 2: Feels good.
Speaker 4: And we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: Trinin has come into camp looking a lot more slimmer. He said that his arm slot he want to get into too many details, is in a better spot than it was last year all last year, and the action on his sweeper and his fastball, according to Dave Roberts, is in That's quite a statement by Dave that he hasn't seen Blake trying to throw the ball this well in quite some time, so that's very encouraging. Also the Morning Report with Dave Roberts, we tackled Mookie Betts, who had his worst offensive season last year with the Dodgers, and the way it's going to stack up. As far as the Dodgers' batting order, it seems like Dave Roberts is going with Shoho Tani leading off, of course, Kyle Tucker hitting second, Freddie Freeman hitting cleanup, and Mookie Betts hitting third.
Speaker 4: Yes, last year started off certainly different with kind of you know, when we were in Tokyo and how he was feeling and the weight loss and all that stuff. I think he had a great offseason. He's in a good headspace, the body's good, and I think for me, it's just getting back to being who he is. And I just think that last year was an outlier offensive season. And I'm not too concerned about Mookie at all the way he played shortstop last year, expecting him to get better, be better offensively this year. He will be in the MVP conversation this year. But again, I think speaking for Mookie, his main goal is to help us win a championship, so I think whatever falls out from there, I think that.
Speaker 2: Will happen.
Speaker 4: So I just want him to focus on just being healthy, helping us win, and then whatever happens outside of that will happen.
Speaker 2: How much do you think hitting between Tucker and Freddie at times is going to help him and whatever he sees and what changes from hitting lead off to second to guy hitting third between and behind those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you know, lead off. I feel good with our leadoff hitter right now. I think for Mooky in particular, being lead off the mindset of getting on base versus hitting behind Showhy and the number two. I like him in the number three in the sense that I feel that there's an on base component, there's a get hits component, there's a drive and run component, and you're more of a Swiss Army knife in a lineup, so you know, I'm not beholden to it, but I like him in the three hole right now.
Speaker 2: I like the way Dave Roberts put that a Swiss army knife. That's what a number three hitter traditionally is a guy that can hit with power, get on base, and even steal some bases. And hopefully the Dodgers get that type a Swiss Army knife from their three spot, because you need a right handed hitter to be able to break up the string of lefties, those superstar lefties. But the thing is the reason why Kyle Tucker makes so much sense hitting second and Mooki hitting third. Tucker is a really good hitter against left handed pitching. He and Cody Bellinger were two of the best left handed hitters against against left handed pitching. And that's what you need hitting behind sho Hey Otani. You need a hitter, whether he's right or left, that can do damage against left handed pitching to protect Otani because you know that that rule that's in place now where a pitcher has to come in to face three batters, well, a manager is going to bring in a lefty to not only face Otani, but also try to get out the guy behind him. And if you have that type of protection, whether it's Tucker from the left side or Mookie Bets from the right side, you need it. And that's why Mooki Betts is so important as a right handed hitter to hit between Otani, Tucker and Freeman. So that's the latest from Dodger camp. It should be a bounce back year. Mookie Beds seems to have a look in determination about him since he arrived here yesterday or a couple of days ago to try to prove a lot of critics wrong that heading into his age thirty three season that last year was an aberration, and he's all about winning. He wants to win World Series championships. He has told teammates that as long as we play for each other, that's all that matters. And he certainly has done everything that Dodgers have asked of him, including moving from right field to second base to shortstop, and he's finally found a home there. That's where he's going to play, and he was a finalist for the Gold Glove at that position last year. Now the offense can take center focus. Hitting third in the Dodger lineup on opening day. When we continue from campbel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, we will hear from Alex Call, who went from the last place Nationals at the trade deadline last year to become a World Series champion with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Alex Call will be our guest in his first full spring training with the Dodgers right here on a five to seventy LA Sports with you until eight o'clock. And you never know who you may see at Felix Chevrolet. It may be David Vase or it could be our guest Dodger outfielder Alex Call. Alex, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, always anytime.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're you and Felix the Cat gonna be driving down Figaroa together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're besties now, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Alex. We talked about this at fan Fest, your first spring training with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: They have a new hitting lab that is brand new.
Speaker 2: What's it been like for you to be settled in now as a world champion and starting the year with the team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's awesome. I love being back in Arizona for spring training. I love being with the guys from the start, just get a feel for how they operate things over here in spring and going throughout the season. And yeah, everybody's excited. It's great to be back.
Speaker 5: We're feeling good and yeah, ready to go.
Speaker 2: Can you describe the feeling having your feet set with this team in particular, but coming over in the trade, but now having a chance to get through a full baseball season routine with the same guys and kind of the same program.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really a blessing coming to this organization in a million different ways. But to have just you know, wearing the Dodgers on your chest, we're in La on your chests, it's pretty special. And the way we operate around here, it's just a little bit different. Everything is just a little bit more one notch up you could say, and you know you can tell, and it's contagious amongst the guys, so there's no mistake. Why you know, we're back to back champs and going for a third.
Speaker 2: When you look around this clubhouse, everybody seems to have come ready for day one of spring training, and guys have been working all off season, including yourself, to be ready to go day one. What message does that send to each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think everybody knows that they we care. We care about what's going on, we care about, you know, running this thing back for a third time. And uh, you don't really get that opportunity very often in sports, and so we all know that it's a special task that we can do together. And you know, at the same time, you know you have to be smart with your off season. It's like, we enjoyed it, we took some time off, but then hey, this is what.
Speaker 5: We love to do.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get back in the gym, we get back in the cage, and we're gonna work what we need to do and have full focus for this year.
Speaker 2: Alex call Us our guest on Dodger Talk. Alex, when you say all those things, I would imagine last year for you was the deepest you played baseball, at least professionally. What was that like?
Speaker 6: It was awesome. I mean, that's exactly what you want. I've been enjoying the postseason from home. You know, I love baseball, so to be in it, to have your to be in the thick of things, to have your name in the lineup card in the World Series, it's I mean, it's an unbelievable experience, so much fun, a dream come true, and it's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: We love baseball, we love the grind of one hundred and sixty two games, but when you get to the postseason, that's what matters. That's where the chips are all on the table and win or go home. So we want it all and there's no greater feeling.
Speaker 2: Have you watched replays or moments of Game six and Game seven?
Speaker 6: You know, intermitutely, I've actually not watched as much as I thought I would, So it's almost like I'm I'm saving it for like when i have a little bit of time to decompress.
Speaker 5: You know, our hearts is a little bit.
Speaker 6: Hectic right now with the addition of this the second girl to go along with our oldest son. So I'm kind of saving it for a time when I can really soak it in and enjoy it. When I asked some time to myself, maybe on the road this year, I'll uh, I'll bring out some of the old footage and reminisce on it.
Speaker 2: Your lockers right next to Andy Pohes, I asked him today how many times has he watched the replay of the catch of him and key K kind of colliding, and he said, he admitted a few times.
Speaker 3: Have you talked to him about that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just in brief today we were talking about it. I was telling him like I wasn't even looking at Andy, Like I was looking at Kik the whole way. His back was turned and I'm like, oh no, that is not a high probability of a catch. And then here comes Andy, So I wasn't I told him, I was like, I wasn't even looking at you. But he just put his head down, went and got the ball.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing that he mentioned was he can't believe how much ground he covered to get to make that catch. Is that one thing that isn't talked about enough. We're talking about key K and how he may have had a beat on it, but nobody's really talking about how much ground PAHZ had to cover.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, just a credit to Andy.
Speaker 6: And we were also talking about how you go in the game, the ball finds you, you know, no matter what, just like it's a baseball ism, but it almost feels.
Speaker 2: Like it's true.
Speaker 6: And we were like wondering, what would the actual numbers be if he tried to calculate it out and and he was ready. He went in there, he put his head down, he had to cover all that ground. It's it was an amazing play and boy, we were all nervous, but he made it.
Speaker 2: Everybody talks about the guy that told me to get out Miguel Rojas's home run. But the one play that I feel like I bring myself to the most is the play, the incredible play that he and Will Smith made in the ninth inning of Game seven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was like freaking out because the balls hit to Miggy. He's like falling down and I'm like, maybe get up, get up, Like if you don't get.
Speaker 2: Up, we lose.
Speaker 5: Like get up, this is it.
Speaker 6: And you know he had his balance and he threw a strike and then it was like, oh no, like he's out. But the replay looks kind of fifty to fifty, like is Will's foot actually on the player or not? So again you had to live through another freak out session and you know they held the play up confirmed and you know we went on to win.
Speaker 5: So just absolutely crazy play. Amazing job at Mickey ro Alex.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go you're a guy that has attention to detail baseball IQ. Before I let you go, how many push ups do you think I could do?
Speaker 6: Alex call ohh, I mean looking pretty good, So I'll go with at least thirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, thirty, Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Let's go thirty. Got you gotta show it up now?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I'll do my best by June. All right, since Rojas is drifted away, you're a guy that has high baseball IQ. Talking about that play at the plate as a base runner, how important is it to have the greatest of leads in those situations? Just in general? That's an important part.
Speaker 6: Of the game certainly, And I think there's a lot of things that go into because there's one out right there, right, yeah, And so you don't want to get doubled off as a base runner with one out in that situation. So I don't know what the third base coach was telling him, but certainly you want to try to take every single step that you can, and the situation is gonna dig to I mean, you're ninety feet away from the World Series. It's tough to not be like itching and clawing for every single inch.
Speaker 5: And foot that you can get.
Speaker 6: But yeah, the attention, that's what's so beautiful about our games. It comes down to those types of things, and praise God. But came out on our side in that one.
Speaker 2: Hey, congratulations on being part of a great team and a great group of guys, even though they definitely don't believe in how many pushups I can do and definitely do not want me around. So thank you for the time Alex called. Yeah, thanks Dave, there it goes. Alex Call has been our guest. Great to have him in Dodger camp his first full season with the Dodgers after being traded from the Nationals to the Dodgers. I remember exactly where the Dodgers were when Alex Call arrived. It was in that sweltering, huge mid heat at the Yankee Spring training Stadium where the Rays were playing last year. So that was Alex Call's introduction to the Dodgers. But he certainly is a guy that embraces the technology the Dodgers used to make their hitters better, and everything's at his fingertips. And I was even watching him take live betting practice today and it was remarkable that his approach is exactly the same approach that he has in the game and why the Dodgers were so attracted to acquire him to be a fourth or fifth outfielder. He even in live betting practice, makes the opposing pitcher throw a lot of pitches and is very selective, so he is practicing as he plays. So that was impressive to see from Alex Call. And he certainly understands his role, embraces his role, and loves being a Dodger. How could you not knowing what it's like to lose year after year with the Washington Nationals at this point and then being traded to a team like the Dodgers that had a World championship season and now is looking for a three peat. So thank you to Alex Call and Miguel Rojas always seems to be there, and it feels like the pushup challenge is going to follow me all spring training long, and maybe even blake'snew When we continue from Camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, we got Dodger talk for you all the way up until eight o'clock, and we are going to hear from two of the young guys that got their first taste of big league action last year. Had some good moments, had some highs, had some lows, and had a lot of growth and they're going to be a big part of the Dodgers this year. Dalton Rushing and Alex Friedland will join us. Plus you'll hear from Andrew Freeman about the Dodgers young outfield prospects that are emerging quicker than you may expect. So a lot to get to in regards to the next wave of Dodger talented players. Continue from Camelback Ranch right here on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk, David.
Speaker 2: Vase with you until eight o'clock. Thanks a lot to Alex call for taking the time out. There's a lot of media out here following the Dodgers, so the time that we get with these guys in spring training is certainly appreciated. And coming up in a moment, you'll hear from Dalton Rushing and Alex Freeland. Not to mention Andrew Friedman on the next wave of Dodger outfielders that may emerge even as soon as this season. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have Dodgers Spring Training action for you this Saturday, the Dodgers will open up the Cactus League against the Angels. Our coverage begins at twelve thirty, first pitch at one ten, and it is expected that Yamamoto will start that game for the Dodgers against the Angels in Tempe Arizona, and Shoho Tani will be leading off and dhing for the Dodgers in Tempe Arizona against his former team. Now, don't be alarmed when you don't see Freddie Freeman or Mookie Bets or Max Muncy and the Dodgers starting lineup this weekend against the Angels and the Padres. Dave Roberts said, there is no injury issues. We have seen those guys out here going back to the beginning of the week taking batting practice, participating in life batting practice as well, but are going to slow play when they get into games. These are veteran guys. Muncie is thirty five, Freddie Freeman is thirty six, Mookie Betts is thirty two going on thirty three. They have played back to back World Series championships, so no need to force these guys into lineups early in spring, which means the Dodgers are going to give a lot of their young players some opportunities to leave an impression and in the case of Dalton Rushing, get a lot reps behind Will Smith, who is going to leave for the World Baseball Classic as part of Team USA's team, but also get some time at first base to give Freddie Freeman days off, and also early on, you know, get him off his feet and not start into game. So Dalton Rushing is going to have a runway to get a rhythm for his season, and it feels like he has a better understanding of what to expect and what is expected of him from the Dodgers. Here's our conversation with the very gregarious Dalton Rushing Rush. Great to see you, and man, you got a real legit, big league locker, a guy that has made, the guy that has arrived.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's good to be here. Good to see you, David missed you. I don't like your nipples as much as Kik, but it's good to see you and looking forward to another World Series.
Speaker 2: I wore a jacket. A fan came up to him. He asked me about my nipples. I said, hey, I got to cover up in the spring. Yeah, it's cold out here. Early in the morning.
Speaker 7: Isn't it, David and I like that la Weather.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, Hey. I could definitely feel the vibe, the energy from you. You are so excited to get this season going. What's it like to have the faith, the backup of the organization to believe in what you can do for them this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think that's the difference.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 7: I got a feel of what the big moments kind of feel like. There at the end of the year. I had a couple of big moments, and being able to know what it feels like in that moment is kind of the reason you want to get back out there. The grind of a full season, the ups, the downs. Obviously you look back at last year was a lot of things that I could look on a downside, But I personally think that I learned a lot through those tough times, wherever stretch it was in the year. And I think that's what excites me this year is because it's one thing throughout my whole career. It's if I have a down year, down month, whatever it is, I bounce back really well.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a normal year. I would imagine since high school, you've played every day, you've been the guy, knowing the role, knowing how to prepare yourself for the role. Do you feel like it is giving you a head start coming into this season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's given me a head start. And I think the other side to that is I'm gonna be able to show the production at an early time, show what I can do, the difference I can make in the box. And then I think that you kind of you push all your chips to the middle of the table there. And I've said it in the past, I don't care where I play, what my role is, as long as I play baseball. And that's I think that's what I'm most excited about this year is I can really focus on, hey, how many games can this team win? But also how many games can I get on the field and help this team win.
Speaker 2: What did you learn about when you do get those opportunities after you know, backing up or getting a spot start, what did you learn how to approach your at bats.
Speaker 7: I've learned that situational hitting is your best friend, and those those situations, learning how to control the baseball, know where to hit the baseball and what situation and that produces runs for your team. And I think if we can do that from a one to nine standpoint, it doesn't matter if you're an everyday player or if you play once a week, then we're gonna win a lot of baseball games. So we're gonna have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I know you're a catcher at heart, and obviously you are a catcher on this Spall club. But also we talked about this first base maybe in your future to get Freddie days off. I don't see a first basement's glove in your locker there, it's in there.
Speaker 7: No, it's I've always wanted to keep that in my back pocket, regardless of where I'm at. And obviously, due to circumstances this year, if Freddie needs a day halfway through the year, if Freddie needs a day in the first month, whatever it is, I need to be that guy that they can kind of lean on to still have a left handed bat in the lineup and give Freddie's time off.
Speaker 2: So have you taken any ground balls and work with some infielders there yet?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've done some infield work. I try and just kind of incorporate it and the routine as much as possible, so it kind of fills second nature. And just like, hey, give me the glove, I'll go play it. And I actually had some a lot of experience in college there and early on in pro ball, so I've I've kind of got a little bit of a background in first base, but obviously I want to excel and grow as much as possible to be a guy like Freddy. You know, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Dalton Rushing is our guest. He has arrived. He's gonna be a big part of the Dodgers three peete attempt in twenty twenty six. All right, let's put the catcher's gear back on. I've heard so much about Gavin Stone and River Ryan. Have you had a chance to catch any one of those guys so far? Early on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've got to catch both. And uh, man, do we have a lot of pictures. It's uh, not only a lot of pitchers. We have a lot of pictures that can pitch for a really long time in this game. And I think that's the beauty of what this organization does. It builds it top to bottom. The strongest organization in baseball, strongest organization in sports. And yeah, they've both they've both looked fantastic. I mean, River explosive stuff. He's disgusting, He's around the zone, he establishes the strike zone early, and it's it's almost everything you could ask for out of a pitcher. And Gavin as well. I mean, Gavin's got three plus pitches and the pitch ability is really there. He knows how to control the baseball. He knows how to control the game. And I think that's what I'm most excited to work with between the two of them, is their ability to know how to control the baseball and really navigate through seven innings.
Speaker 2: What's the difference for you catching bullpens for guys like that that are coming back trying to prove that they are back, compared to catching a bullpen for a glass Now or a Yamamoto.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think these some of these guys coming off injury. It's our job to one like, really make sure that one the throws clean, everything's coming out smooth. But at the same time, we need to we need to incorporate a little bit of the competitive edge. We need to we need to get these guys filling like they're throwing In the fifth, sixth, seventh inning of a game in Dodger Stadium against Diamondbacks, the padres like, we have to make them feel his game ready with all the nerves and everything is possible before the season hits, because obviously it's gonna be a little bit of a different fill with fifty thousand there.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of edge, you got edge. You got a lot of emotion when you play. Have you learned how to play with that and how to control it at times when you need to? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think I think last year I learned quick it's you control it as much as you can, but you don't lose it. Some of the best players I've ever watched, some of the best players that I get to play with every single day here, they hold this internal smoke, this internal heat that they know how to use it. They know when to use it and when the time is to use it. And I think me being the younger guy on the team and being able to see the other guys and how they go about their business. There's a time and a place to show emotion, There's a time and a place to say nothing. And I think that's what I'm most excited about this year, is to be able to show everyone the maturity and be the guy that can run the field from behind the play.
Speaker 2: Dalton Russian's got the entire package. First day ever talked to him, understood the pitcher catcher relationship. He's got edge, he wants to compete, he wants to win, and certainly the time is now. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to see you, smile, perfect, thanks David, Good to see you there. He is the man, Dalton Rushing and here it is. Oh, usually that doesn't happen that quick. What a handshake.
Speaker 3: Love talking to Dalton Rushing. I expect him.
Speaker 2: To have a really good sophomore season. He has a greater understanding of the role. Going back to the conversation we just had with him, he has never not been the guy, and it's taken some adjustment for him to understand what the Dodgers need from him. And it feels like he and Alex Friedland have a greater understanding of what it's going to take to help this veteran team throughout the one hundred and sixty two game season and also what is expected of them in that clubhouse as far as preparation and just the approach day in and day out. Alex Friedland got a huge lesson in the Big leagues last year, he had his opportunity. He got an opportunity basically to play for a month straight. It just seemed like the games sped up on him. And that's what Dave Roberts said. But everybody has noticed a much more mature Alex Freeland this season. And even Freeland is carrying himself better this spring. I shouldn't say better, but carrying himself more like a big leaguer this spring. And I had a chance to catch up with Alex Freeland earlier today. All right, I'm joined right now by a man that burst onto the scene last year with the Dodgers. He may not have the mullet, but he's still got the same edge and is still a baseball junkie. That's the one and only Alex Freeland. Great to see you, and I didn't recognize you. No more mullet.
Speaker 3: You got a beard, A new man in spring training.
Speaker 8: Yeah, man, it's good to be back. It's good to see you, but I've gotten that a lot. Nobody seems to recognize me right now.
Speaker 9: But no, it's cool. Different look change things up.
Speaker 2: The one word that's been used to describe you this spring is maturity. Do you feel like you learned a lot in your first taste of the big leagues last year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 8: I mean, all there, the season didn't go the or season did go the way that we wanted to, But for me personally, it didn't go the way I wanted. But I think there's a lot of things to learn from whether it's good or bad. So I mean just experiencing it and being in the clubhouse with the guys, like there's veterans and Hall of famers like you just learned from being around them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think it went the way you wanted because you got your chance to be in the big leagues. You got a chance to be around this team, a championship caliber team. So it feels like you may know the answers to the test this year.
Speaker 8: Yeah no, no, no, I kinda, I kinda have an understanding of what it's gonna be like now and how to carry myself. So I'm looking I'm really looking forward to the next year.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like the motivation started when you went back to Oklahoma City last year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely. I mean it sucked, but like it is what it is.
Speaker 8: I mean, I tried to get on the earliest fight out of there to go play, And I said, I like, screw it, Like I'm gonna go down there and play.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna work my way back up.
Speaker 3: What did you like the most being around those guys?
Speaker 8: Just how to handle yourself, Like how you go about your business, like they do it in such a manner.
Speaker 9: It's like it's just very professional.
Speaker 8: So I mean, I think I think just the way I carry myself, whether I'm doing something or I'm not doing something, just just how I how I present myself.
Speaker 2: It seemed like you got bigger and stronger since the last time we saw you. How did that all come together? Did you just come up with this plan on your own or did somebody direct you, Hey, this will help you take that next step.
Speaker 8: No, I mean I thought right after the end of the season for Triple A. I mean we came back, we came back to Arizona for Stay Hot, and I never left. I've been I've been in Arizona since the season ended, and and my goal was to get better over the offseason and and preparation to this upcoming year.
Speaker 2: Is that where you came up with this beard?
Speaker 8: I didn't shave once I got options, I didn't shave.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 9: So it's been it's been like four months rocking it.
Speaker 3: How did you decide to cut the mullet?
Speaker 8: It's time to grow up. That's part of the maturity thing. I just grew up, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have not like we talked about yesterday, So we could do this on Yeah, I know, I think we could do the fun stuff on the side, but once the other players are around, obviously I'm here to lift you.
Speaker 9: Up half un goof off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember you kind of just trying to figure out pictures how they were pitching.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you might have a better idea of how to make the adjustments, not only game to game, but at bat to at bat.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely. But like also, pictures are gonna be pictures.
Speaker 8: They're gonna do something and we're gonna learn and adjust from it. But I think it's more about me, just like I'm more confident now now that I've been there and I've seen it and I've done it. So I think just going into this year, like I'm I'm more confident in everything we do, whether it's scouting, report, tea work, drill work, whatever, like, So I just feel more confident in in everything that I do.
Speaker 9: So hopefully that.
Speaker 8: Translates and uh, and it works.
Speaker 2: But you've got a great opportunity. Tommy Edmond's not going to be ready for opening day. Uh do you feel like this opportunity is presenting itself to you because of the game rewarding the work that you've put in.
Speaker 9: Man, it sure feels like it.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's tough that Tommy's not gonna be with us to start the year. I mean, Tommy's such a good guy to to be around, and.
Speaker 9: I feel like he's a glue guy.
Speaker 8: Like, yeah, he he might be overlooked sometimes, but like he's a big part of this team. So I mean, I hope that he's back soon and I hope he gets back healthier and better. But yeah, it looks like the opportunities opening itself. So the focus is still the same to to come here and get better and make the most of my opportunities.
Speaker 2: You're an easy guy to root for. You've you've definitely put in the work since you were a kid, and here you are with the back to back World Series champion Dodgers all Freeland. Before I let you go, you said you spent a lot of time in Arizona during the off season and you were here in Stay Hot Camp. Where were you when the Dodgers won the World Series and were you watching it with any of your teammates. That's Bob garn He's back for another year.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: I was with my family and we were watching it. We were all super excited. It was such cool.
Speaker 9: It's such a cool ending, Like yeah, like he was like in it. It's written in a story or something.
Speaker 8: Man, it just it all came together, and like, I was just so happy for them and for us, like you're getting a ring. Yeah, I know, I'm super pumped about that, but no, it was.
Speaker 9: It was definitely there's the guy that did it.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking Alex Freeland where he was when he was watching your home run.
Speaker 9: I was with my family. Man, we are also freaking pump, you're losing it.
Speaker 2: No, all good?
Speaker 3: We could we could get rid of that.
Speaker 2: Also, you know Miguel Rojas and Will Smith that play at the plate. I don't know about you. You're an infielder. You understand how tough of a play and game of inches that was.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, I mean I give all the credit to Miggy Row and Will.
Speaker 9: I mean every single day.
Speaker 8: These guys work on that play, so the fact that it happened it doesn't.
Speaker 9: Blow my mind or anything like that.
Speaker 8: Like they work on it every single day because you never know when it's gonna happen.
Speaker 9: And I think that.
Speaker 8: A lot of these guys do a tremendous job of going out there and treating practice like games because, like, you never know when it's gonna happen. Like for Meggy Row it happened Game seven when it mattered the most. Yeah, you know what he came through because he works his ass off every single day and makes that play in practice, but he treats it like a game.
Speaker 2: So is Alex Freeland taking the next step to the big leagues. Look forward to seeing you on opening day because I know the game rewards guys that put in the works. So congratulations, Glad you still got that smile. The beer's looking good, and you're a new man. Not a new man, but just a more mature man, more confidence boys to men. Right here, Alexland Freeland has a great opportunity and he understands it that Tommy Edmund is not going to be on the opening day roster. The Dodgers have a spot open on the roster at least to begin the season. Miguel Rojas is certainly going to get ample time at second base, but there is a competition between Freeland and Kim to be that left handed platoon at second base because Rojas is not going to play every day. So Freeland understands he has an opportunity with Tommy Edmund slow coming back from that right ankle surgery, that he has a chance to be on this opening day roster. He's cut the mullet. He has grown up a lot, he understands, and he's hungry. Baseball is everything to Alex Freeland. And look, he took his lumps. A lot of guys don't hit the ground running. But certainly if you can take those lumps and learn from them and not let them put you down but at least allow you to grow, is certainly going to help you. There goes my biggest fan, Max Munsey, still expecting at least three pushups by the end of spring training. In case you missed our conversation with Max Munsey, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. He joined us last night. Blake Trenton joined us on Monday. You can find all those conversations on the iHeartRadio app, and you can live stream Dodger games as well on the iHeartRadio app. We don't miss a beat here on Dodger tog as we take you up to eight o'clock. So, not only is Dalton Rushing and Alex Freeland going to get an opportunity this spring to solidify their spots and leave an impression on Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman this spring, but also some of these young Dodger alfio prospects that we keep hearing about, whether it's host Way De Paula or Zayr Hope, or even newcomer to the organization James Tibbs, the third who was acquired from the Boston Red Sox last year when the Dodgers traded Dustin May to Boston. He is going to get a big spot, a big opportunity this camp to leave an impression and start the year in Triple A, but also leave an impression to possibly be the first man up from Triple A if the Dodgers need a position player. Had a chance to catch up with Andrew Friedman to kind of lay out what his vision is for this young outfield group that is getting so much attention in all these different minor league publications.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think there is a really talented bunch. I think it's far and away the most talented group of prospect outfielders I've ever seen. And there's a good little competition amongst them. I mean, I think, you know, Ryan Ward and with what he did last year in Triple A. I think you know, with James Tibbs and zach Arhard coming over and I mean the success they had. Obviously, if you're in Triple A, you're that much closer, So I think some of that plays in. But we've got a really talented group that's going to be in Tulsa, in a really talented group that's going to be in Oklahoma City. And as we know, injuries happen, opportunity arises in different ways, and you know, we'll see where we're at and who can kind of run and sees that.
Speaker 9: Paula what would he have to kind of work on?
Speaker 10: Posway has gotten more and more mature and is growing and learning. He's been here early, and I think defense, like really stressing the importance of defense. Really, it's one thing to stress, it's another to have deliberate work and be consistent with it. And I think he's seeing that with some of our guys, and you don't really know what that means until you see it and experience it, and so we've challenged him with that, and you know, for us, I think it increases your chances to come up and help us sooner rather than later, when you can impact the game and all facets. He is an extremely talented hitter, but it's about trying to round out his game and making him as complete of a player as we can.
Speaker 3: So there you go. That's a name to remember.
Speaker 2: I know we all love to hear about Jozwai Depaula and Zayir Hope, who have been on the radar the last couple of years. But James Tibbs the third a college baseball player from Florida State, which means he's more big league seasoned and ready for his opportunity at some point in twenty twenty six. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight, thanks to Alex Call, Thanks to Alex Freeland and Dalton Rushing for joining us. We will be back with you on Saturday at twelve thirty, a half hour ahead of first pitch. Between the Dodgers and Angels to kick off the Cactus League schedule, and then back with you on Sunday at twelve thirty as our coverage begins for Game two of the Cactus League schedule Dodge and Padres. In case you're leaving rainy Southern California to come out to Arizona, keep in mind both those games are on the road. The Dodgers are in Tempe on Saturday, the Dodgers are in Peoria, Arizona on Sunday. So we look forward to see all of you out here this weekend and throughout spring training. There's a lot of fans that already have come out to see a glimpse of their back to back World Series champion Dodgers. We look forward to seeing you out here as well. We will talk to you on Saturday and be back with you next week for more Dodger Talk shows. You can follow me on Instagram at Officiallyvassa and on x at the Real Underscore DV I'll keep you updated on the entire Dodgers spring training schedule and also the Dodger Talk schedule for next week as well. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help and thanks to you for listening. We will talk to you Saturday as we get ready for spring baseball right here on your home for the back to back World Series champion Dodgers AM five to seventy LA Sports. Coming up next, Jason Smith on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: See you