Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vaseasing.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until nine o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers end the Cubs ten game winning streak with a twelve to four victory, we have lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Coming up on the show, we'll check in with Jose Mota. Also, Andrew Friedman shared some very candid things regarding sho Heo Tani, the Otani rule, and how the Dodgers may not gate the rest of the season on the days that Otani is pitching, so you don't want to miss that. And also we'll share with you Vin Sculli's call fifty years ago today when Rick Monday made that great play saving the American flag, and it was a great night here at Dodger Stadium. Rick rightfully so celebrated before, during, and after tonight's game, and it was great to see him and his family together here in Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium. His great wife Barbara Lee, his stepdaughter Ashley, his brother in law was in the house. And of course the American flag. And in case you don't know this, it was mentioned during the game and before the game, and Rica and Josh Rawitch, the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame, joined Joe Davis during the fifth inning and shared the news that the flag is on its way to Cooperstown to be part of the celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth year of our great country. So a lot of celebration this year, and certainly a celebration for not only one of the monumental moments in baseball history, but certainly in recent American history. I mean, that was a significant moment and that flag certainly represents a lot. So great to have Rick Monday celebrated out here at Dodger Stadium fifty years ago today when he made that great play and the Dodgers did him justice, and I know he and his wife were thrilled with the way things went tonight. So a great job by the Dodgers and celebrating a great moment in not only Dodgers stadium history, but baseball history and American history. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Well, it was good to see.
Speaker 2: A couple of Dodgers that were scuffling breakout tonight. Ta Oscar Hernandez was a big part of the sixth run inning in the fourth and the four run inning in the sixth. So is Andy Pajez, who started the season so hot but started to cool off towards the end of the last homestand and it was good to see him have a couple of hits and three RBIs. And it was also good to see Shoe Aotani take two walks, score twice, and get his first hit in thirteen at bats by going to left field, so that also was a positive, and Taoscar Hernandez going the opposite way. All the coaches Dave Roberts say that's when Taoscar Hernandez is at his best, when he's using the big part of the field. So all of these things were good, but maybe none better than Roki Sasaki. Look, it's been a work in progress, and I'm not saying it was, you know, a flying success, but considering we're talking about this picture in that context, it was a big one. And he was throwing strikes, something that he has struggled to do. Coming into the game tonight, Sasaki had only thrown forty percent of his pitches in the strike zone. Tonight it was a season high forty nine percent of his pitches were in the strike zone. He also threw twenty of twenty three first pitch strikes. That's part of the reason why he only walked one batter. So, I mean, all of these things were departure from what we have seen from Sasaki to begin this year and going back to last year as a starting pitcher. And it's hard to ignore the fact that his split fingered pitch was much different than what we have seen in the past because there was more spin rate on it. It didn't look like a knuckleball, and it was more of a pitch that dove down in the strike zone, and maybe that's why he threw it so much. He threw it forty three times. That's more than he's thrown it all year long, and the most in his career. Thirty for thirty of those forty three split fingered pitches were a strike. I mean, he doesn't land it at that high of a rate fifty percent. So my suspicion is Connor McGinnis the best kept secret in baseball, one of the Dodger pitching coaches, probably work with Sasaki in between starts to come up with this different version of the splitter. So you know, I'll ask Connor about it tomorrow. He doesn't like to take too much credit, but uh, that's my first suspicion. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers in the Cubs winning streak at ten by scoring double digits for the fifth time this season. That's the most by any team in baseball. So they're capable if they just stay within themselves and pass the baton like they did to like they did tonight, And it was evident not only by the twelve runs, but also the fact fact that they walked six times and only struck out seven times as a group. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight. Let's go out to Tom who is out here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Hi, Tom, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, Dave, great game tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was nice to come out and see that type of offensive output after a disappointing loss last night.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I appreciate the Dodgers winning on my sixty second birthday.
Speaker 3: Well, happy birthday, Tom, Thank you.
Speaker 5: So my question to you is this, I broke you through a lot of strikes, and you gotta like that. But what about the pitches he's missing on.
Speaker 3: As far as what.
Speaker 5: Giving up those home runs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, part of the reason why he gave up those home runs was because he was more in the strike zone. So I'll take what we got tonight. I don't love the home runs either, Tom, but the way he was throwing strikes tonight was more more than what we have seen ever from Roki Sasaki.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was definitely throwing strikes and that's much appreciated from his last few games.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And you know, certainly you got to give some credit to those hitters. The home runs he gave up were two really good hitters, and Saya Suzuki and nobody in Los Angeles knows this guy's name, but Michael Bush and Pete crow Armstrong told me their DH Moyses Balestros is one of the best hitters they have in their lineup. So he's a pure hitter and he gave up a home run to him. So you got to tip your caps sometimes to the opposing hitters as well, who came in with winning ten in a row. Let's go out to Minneapolis. Bob listening on the iHeartRadio app. How you doing, Bob, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: I'm doing great and thanks for taking a call. Hey, listen, a great game tonight, especially after that tough one last night.
Speaker 7: I was calling tonight about Pete.
Speaker 6: Crow Armstrong and I'm originally from Chicago, and so just to give you some insights, I think his dad is from Naperville, which is a suburb west of Chicago by about forty miles, and I think his dad was a hardcore Cubs fan. So even though he went to Harvard Westlake, I think that's the reason why Pete row Armstrong is a Cubs fan.
Speaker 7: And then on top of that.
Speaker 6: Having gone to many many Cubs games, there is no fan base that during the summertime, where probably fifty percent of fans aren't from Chicago. They're tourists who are coming there and checking it off their list, like going to Sears Tower and the Bean. So when I go to Dodgers Stadium, the fans are all happy, they're excited. As you've said many times, it's an event. I love being there, and it is night and day from regularly, which again is a tourist fan base and usually empty when it's cold in April.
Speaker 7: So that's where I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they're losing. When they're losing, they don't sell out Wrigley Field, so they love it when they win there too. They're the bandwagon city, not La. Thanks for the phone call, Bob, I appreciate it. Look I like pie Crow Armstrong, had a chance to talk to him, got to know him at one of Justin Turner's golf tournaments a couple of years ago. And look, he's the heel and he's that type of player that feeds off of that. So the more you boo him, the more he loves it. But he's not backing down from his comments. I don't agree with them, but I mean that's him. He's leaning into it and I appreciate that more than what Craig Council did yesterday, where he kind of shied away from the opportunity here at Dodger Stadium to double down or expand on his comments about changing the Otani rule. And you'll hear from Andrew Freeman about that in a moment as well. Let's go out to Chance. Who is at the game tonight, High Chance, you're on Dodger.
Speaker 5: Talk, Hey, David, how's going.
Speaker 2: It's going great when the Dodgers win and scored twelve runs and beat the lovable Losers, who, by the way, don't have many endearing characters on their team this year. Alex Bregman, Pete Crow, Armstrong, Craig Council, all of them are viewed as villains these days in La.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, No, it was great.
Speaker 5: I was telling my dad tonight.
Speaker 7: You know, you know, Rokies got a channel his man or near his biblehead night energy. And I think Tony was huge with his confidence and have some good offensive firepower behind him and hopefully, you know, he takes this win and kind.
Speaker 5: Of builds off of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this split finger pitch that we saw tonight. Chance, if he can build upon the way he pitched it tonight, then he may have something. And if he has fastball command plus this pitch certainly interesting moving forward.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot for the phone call. Appreciated.
Speaker 2: Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences. Visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight sixty six, eight seven seventy is the phone number. We have one line open right now. Let's go out to Chris, who is at the ballpark today. Hi, Chris, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hey David, this is me Chris, the one that you saw early in the morning, early at the beginning of the game.
Speaker 7: Thank you for the shoutout on IG.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it, brother, appreciate all that you do.
Speaker 2: Man, Hey Chris, I'm glad somebody's listening. I was just excited to meet somebody that listens.
Speaker 8: Most definitely, man, and I wanted to talk, you know, real quick like.
Speaker 5: Games like this are amazing because you.
Speaker 8: Know, you talk about you know, MLB one and the implement payroll, all our big names. You know, you got Mookie, you got Okani, you got Tucker, But I want to talk about the others.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: Alex Freelan good ball in the bat, he saw, He's on Kim whenever he plays, like I love when he plays.
Speaker 7: He's amazing man.
Speaker 8: But I want to talk about the others, Like I really love games like this where we're able to, you know, not depend on such a big start, but you know, these guys come up touch and you know, put backs on the ball.
Speaker 7: We're in the.
Speaker 8: Bases very efficiently. But all in all, a good night, a good game tonight.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 8: Like I said, appreciate the shout out.
Speaker 9: Brother.
Speaker 2: You do what you're doing, all right, Chris, thanks a lot for the love. Appreciate it. Thanks for being a loyal Dodger fan. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number I see Jed Hoyer the Cubs GM talking to Dave Roberts. They go back to their days in San Diego together. But yesterday, if you were listening to the show before the game, I went into Craig Council's pregame media session and try to ask him to expand or clarify why he believes the Otani rules should be changed. He wouldn't and in fact kind of shot me down, and you can hear that on our and five seventy LA Sports social media pages and also on last night's Dodger Talk. But today we had Andrew Friedman as our pregame guest. And Andrew was very can with us about a couple of topics surrounding Otani. First, about Otani and whether or not he will continue to lead off in DH on the days that he pitches the rest of the year, and then listen for his answer about all the talk about the Otani rule all of a sudden the last week out of nowhere, considering this rule has been put in place back in twenty twenty one, a lot of talk about him not being as good of a hitter to day that he pitches. How do you look at that conversation about looking at it, evaluating where he hits in the lineup, whether or not he does it when he pitches.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I think it's all part of the rest and what makes the most sense. You know, it doesn't make sense for him to go wire to wire pitch your hit or playing every day, pitching every week. That's hard, and so we do need to mix some rest in there. Whether we do it on the day starts and then therefore he can't hit late in the game, or if we do it around it the day before, the day after, we at least have the silver bullet off the bench and the ninth inning in a tight game to be able to pin shit. You know, all those are questions, and I think, you know, getting with him and from our standpoint, if there's a clear answer whatever it is, we're great with it. If there's not a clear answer, it's just going to require a lot of conversation and some trial and error to kind of feel it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you said, it's not normal. He's one of one and he's thirty one years old. Now, how much do we all take that for granted what he's doing is normal when it's not.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I think most things that we encounter, we all have some kind of mental rolodex we can go back to and like, oh yeah, in my experience it's this. Oh hey, there is none of that, and we have no experience dealing with this, and so it definitely makes it trickier. That being said, I think as long as we're just staying connected consistently, I think we will get at feel our way through kind of what makes the most sense.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: So that brings me to the Otani rule. Great Council last week said he feels like the Otani rules an unfair rule as far as rosters and rosters when it relates to pictures. I want to ask him to clarify that yesterday, and he doubled down in a very tense way.
Speaker 3: Where is this all coming from?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like this is just a carryover from all the talk during the off season. Where do you think all this Otani rule talk is coming from now?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 10: It felt very random and strange to me that he felt the need to bring it up. And when Shoh was on the Angels and MLB was considering this, they reached out to a bunch of teams, US included, and I said, look, from a competitive standpoint, as the Dodgers, I don't love it, but wearing my industry hat and what's best for the Major League Baseball it is to do everything we can for Shoe or Tani to be in and stay in games. Yeah, and obviously with the thirteen pitcher rules, so that's the part of him being able to stay in the game when he pitches, and when he comes off the mound. You know, the old rule would have been then the hitter has to come out as well. But I was able to look at what is best for the industry and Shohy playing and playing more often and staying in games is what is best for this game and best for the fans and everything else. So that was when he was with the Angels. And as far as the thirteen picture rule, again, it is more that we have thirteen pictures. I had to clarify this with Jim Bowden who said that we have nine relievers. We don't have nine relievers. We have eight relievers just like everyone else. We have five starters like everyone else. It's just when show Hey is able and the rest makes sense, show Hay pitches. Also, it is not that we are carrying an extra reliever relative to others. So it's certainly an advantage, but it should be an advantage. What show Hey does and what he is capable of is so unique it should be rewarded, it should be celebrated. And everyone knew the show Hey rules and had an equal opportunity to sign him two years ago. So I'm not sure where the cups were in that process or what council's thoughts were on it then, But that seemed like more of the relevan to voice it then.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, there you go.
Speaker 2: Andrew Friedman, the president of Baseball Operations for the Dodgers, very candid about a couple of big topics surrounding show Heotani the last couple of weeks. First and foremost, they are looking at finding ways to get him some rest when he's pitching, whether it's the day before, the day after, or the day of, as far as doing both. Number two, how about that if you were listening a week ago tonight, I called out Jim Bowden, the failed GM who now has a national voice, about his crazy tweet about the Otani rule. And Andrew Freeman obviously took some exception with that, and he's right. The Dodgers only have eight relievers, they have five starters, and they have a two way player, and show, Heyotani, And how about this? Did you catch what Andrew Freeman said? When they implemented this new version of the Otani rule, they checked with the Dodgers and other Major League teams about implementing this Otani rule. So the Cubs or back then when Counsel was with the Brewers, you had a chance to voice an objection to the Otani rule. Obviously there wasn't enough or any and that's the rule.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You can't change it just because he's a back to back World Series champion. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number to hear our full conversation with Andrew Freeman, including those topics. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Let's go out to Sean, who is at the ballpark tonight? Hi, Sean, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey David, great game tonight, I was there. I just want to know, David, what do you think the pitching tonight and in how they could keep this out for much longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just feel like Sasaki, if he can throw more strikes, he's gonna have a place in this rotation. And also if he does succeed, it could give them more options with a guy like Justin Robleski, who's been a swing guy as a reliever and a starter. So if Roki Sasaki can throw strikes and be effective, then that's going to give the Dodgers more options with guys like justin Robleski, and look, when Blake Snell comes back, the Dodgers aren't going to have to make a decision on Roki Sasaki. Let's go out to Gregory who is at the game. Gregory, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 11: So this is based on my two appearances Yesterday's game and today's game. I was forced to then date night and also days for Rookie Sazaki's bubble ahead. What is your take on the current state of the Dodgers bullpenhaus I saw the nastiness that I've seen for some of the players, but also the way we give away runs, especially for yesterday's game.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, you can't discount losing Edwin Diaz. I'm not going to try to downplay that. That's not a good thing. But they do have Tanner, Scott, Alex Vesia among others. You saw Will Klein come in in a bass loaded jaming with two outs and him and Jack Dryer figured it out without giving up a run. So there are going to be nights where the bullpen does give up runs. Every bullpen does, but the Dodgers have a lot of good arms down there to navigate this. And also when they get starts from sheh in from glass now where they're going into the seventh and eighth innings of games, means your bullpen doesn't have to get as many outs. And also, Gregory, the Dodgers should be getting back Brock Stewart in the next couple of weeks. That's going to be a huge boost. And Bruce star graderol texted me a week ago and said see you soon. So he threw to hitters today and he should be coming back soon. And then the second half of the season, you'll get Evan Phillips back and Edwin Diaz back, and the bullpen's looking much different, So I'm not that concerned about it.
Speaker 3: Good. Thank you all right, Gregory, thank you.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers snap the Cubs ten game winning streak with a twelve to four win. When we continue, we'll check in with Jose Mota and also take more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. If you call and ask me what I think the Dodgers are gonna do this year, I'll just put you back on hold. I don't want to be accused of hanging up on anybody. Dodgers beat the Cubs twelve to four. Shoot It for the Moon in twenty twenty six on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bass said.
Speaker 6: Timelanded the plate one out in the third, two nothing, Chicago won one pitch and once he.
Speaker 1: Rips it to right, this ball is back and it is gone.
Speaker 4: Monsey with a missile, and that resets Game.
Speaker 3: Two of the series.
Speaker 2: Max Mounsey not feeling great, but good enough to hit a game tying two run home run in the third inning. That would be just the beginning for the Dodgers, as they score twelve runs tonight to beat the Cubs twelve to four and snap their ten game winning streak. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number that was Munsey's ninth home run of the year. He is tied for second with the Ellie De la Cruz and Salth Stewart of the Reds. James Wood of the Nationals has the most home runs in the National League so far with ten Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA Sports Doc. Type in the keyword home run Daniel Stewlers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, before we get to Roki Sasaki, your thoughts on what you heard Andrew Friedman say as far as what the Dodgers may plan in the long term to try to keep Otani fresh on the days that he pitches. All right, we'll try to get a better connection with Jose Mota. Let's go out to Malibu. Bob, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob?
Speaker 12: Well, No, Jose Mota, Dave, but I'm happy to talk to you anyways.
Speaker 3: Man, you got a better connection than he does right now.
Speaker 12: Must be that cricket wireless plan I have, Dave. Yeah, maybe I want to talk about want to talk about Rick Monday, man, and just if Mo's listening, just throws some thanks out to mister Monday there for fifty years is quite an achievement there from his you know, epic grabbing of the flag off the field that day, and it was really nice to see the stadium and everybody celebrate him. And I know, you get to see him every day and then have that luxury of being around, you know, a guy of his character and hear his stories. But for all of us who listen every night, it was just a pleasure to hear him talk about that day and the events that you know, have happened since and all the people that have been in his life from that event. So just a huge thank you out to him tonight, Dave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was special, and the Dodgers certainly did him justice, and it was great to see the way he was honored, not only before the game but during the game. I thought Tom Rinaldi did a great piece on Rick and saving the American Flag on Fox Sports during their pregame show, and it was great to see Rick in the booth with Joe Davis and the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame, Josh Rawitch. And that flag is headed to Cooperstown right now and is going to be part of Cooperstown's celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our country, and certainly the fiftieth anniversary of Rick Monday saving that American flag. Hey, you want to hear the way it sounded that day. Vin Scully was on the call on radio, and in fact, you know, I wonder how this moment would have been looked at fifty years later if there was no video of Rick actually saving the flag, or even a photographer taking a photo. There was a random photographer that took a photo of it, and a fan in the stands had one of those old school video recorders, and without that, I wonder if it would resonate with people as much as it does after seeing it. Seeing it all, well, here was Vin Scully describing it on the Dodgers radio broadcast fifty years ago.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 9: Sizemore fouled out in the first inning.
Speaker 13: He's over one and the first one outside, well one, and wait a minute, there's an animal loose, two.
Speaker 14: Of them all right. I'm not sure what he's doing out there.
Speaker 9: It looks like he's gonna burn a flag, and Rick Monday runs and takes it away from him.
Speaker 3: And so Monday, I think a.
Speaker 9: Guy was gonna set fire to the American flag. Can you imagine that? So they're going to lose him in a hurry, and Monday, when he realized what he was gonna do, raced over and took the flag away from him.
Speaker 14: And now the crowd is doing what they ought to do all the time. Who one of these characters for this guy was gonna try and perform the indignity of setting fire to the American flag.
Speaker 9: And Rick will get an ovation and properly.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, that was the great Vin Scully doing it justice. Two animals, Oh, there's an them all on the field.
Speaker 3: No, there's two of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a father and son from Missouri that came onto the field with that American flag and was dousing lighter fluid on it and tried to light it. Rix told the story before that the wind kind of blew it out the first couple of times, and he was able to make the great play that he made fifty years ago today at Dodgers Stadium. And incredibly, nineteen seventy six was his best year with the Cubs and also his last year with the Cubs because he would come to the Dodgers and hit one of the biggest postseason home runs for the Dodgers in nineteen eighty one in Montreal. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: All right, let's check in with Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, we got you this time.
Speaker 7: Hey, got you something going out of Dodger sevent or another route. So here we are ready to go. But I got your first question, Shohil Tani, right managing.
Speaker 2: Well, did you get a chance to hear what Andrew Freeman had to say about what the plan may be moving forward.
Speaker 3: On the day that he pitches.
Speaker 7: Yes, I did, Dave. I was listening to you, So I agree with him one hundred percent. Shohil Tani. The one thing that we learned is you got to protect Shora from show. Hey, he's always going to say yes. And the plan going forward at his age and the load now is a pitcher after two surgeries, is the right thing. And I think Dave, now the Dodgers are realizing you cannot ignore the numbers. The numbers do tell you something about what happens is that he pitches. There's a rush to get to the at bat leading off, especially, there's not a whole lot of time if he survives, gets dirty, then you know the protector and inside his right leg, all those things have to be taken into consideration. But no anything, it's knowing that you're not managing for six months. You're menaging a guy that you want to be available for you for seven months. Of it is the right thing, and the time is now.
Speaker 2: What did you think about is at bats tonight? He walked twice and his first hit was to left field. Did you see encouraging signs of that posture you were talking about last night?
Speaker 7: Yes, I sold a posture and I saw some adjustments from the show. I know he made some today inside in the cage. And when I saw the ball go to the left Hill, I said, that's a good indication just to start shoe Hill Totney. When he starts hitting the ball hard and hitting home runs, most of them roator center field, and that is just what he needs to do to stay in line with home plate, in line with the baseball. Because I did look back David. I saw his numbers after he got hit by that pitch by Deavid Peterson. He won seventy one zero home runs. So teams pay attention to that get him off the plate. Own the outer half, and he was pretty much off the outer half the entire trip going through Colorado San Francisco. But today a better indication, one thing perhaps is maybe get him closer to the place we can cover the other half a little bit better about today, for sure, I think it's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: How about Roki Sasaki, I mean that seems to be maybe his best start as a Dodger in Major League baseball. What do you make about the way he was adjusting his split fingered pitch. I don't even know what to call it. It was kind of a fork ball, but now it seems to have more spin on it.
Speaker 7: The positive side is that he didn't convinced that he understands command of the baseball. There's a couple of fastballs that there were good pitches that got hit, and it seems like when the fast fall gets hit, and that is the one pitches you know hitters are hitting over the fronder against he shies away from it. Then he tries to pinpoint it, but he could keep throwing. I mean just trusted now on the new size of pitching his splitter. As he mentioned throughout the show, Dave had a different shape to it. Today he was throwing it harder, it was spinning a little bit more. And part of that is that you have to get modern day hitters to commit when you see your arm velocity and your arm speed. Listen, Rookie Sasaki is a guy that has some of the best extension in all of baseball. What does that mean? He releases the ball at a point where there's a lot of stretching before the ball releases and actually gets home play, so it does not give the hitter a lot of times to react. But he's got to be better locating. And I always said that if he if he has that much extension, is I learned from Dave Duncan years ago and Buddy Black and those guys. You have to be able to snap the baseball out in front of you, so not roll it, don't aim it. And when he throws that splitter, you know, fourth Bowl so slow, he's ami it. He's try to misspats, but you know he's not fully anybody when it comes down to really committing somebody's swing. And I think today like Yama Moto Yo motor throws at ninety one ninety three. Today we saw some ninety one from the splitter, which we had not seen from him, and that's why you saw a little more confusion from the hitters. But I think the step of the right direction to me is the wats that we're not there, but certainly he needs to get better location. But let's take the win and know that what run support has bull been really picked him. My allot to applause Jack Dryer, it will climb too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was incredible how Dryer got himself into a basis loaded jam, was able to get the next two outs, and then Will Klein, with no margin for error, was able to get the Dodgers out of that type of jam. That that said something about Will Klein, who you know was an unknown and I know he's kind of a World series cult hero. But that was that was a pretty big deal right there in the sixth inning.
Speaker 7: It was especially a bullpen. They having up eighteen runs the last sixth in innings, including five on buns. That was a big pick up. So I should for a guy like Rookie who everybody's pulling for. Everybody want to see this guy succeed everybody and himself wants to be a part of this whole thing and give the values more options, as you explained so clearly with Robleskian company. But he needs to be a guy that takes the base ball and does not go out there and just hurt your bullpen every time he says the ball. So step number two up to this one is go out there and try to get through six or seven innings and continue to trust yourself a little bit better.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see what Robleski does tomorrow against Shota Imanaga. It would be great for the Dodgers to uh to hand the Cubs a two game losing streak on the way out of LA after winning ten.
Speaker 3: In a row.
Speaker 7: I like what I've seen from the Dodgers. Dave against lefties, and mon I was a strike thrower. You got to really pick your spots with him and go hunting sometimes because he does neutralize both writers and lefties. But nonetheless, yeah, that's what I saw today, especially from the guys that need to really show up and tail and obviously Ca'm doing to find job at the bottom of the order. But Ody Pie is much better and the should turn out well against the lefty.
Speaker 2: All right, they got to keep it going tomorrow. We'll see at the ballpark. Tomorrow afternoon. Jose, Oh, heyse before I let you go, your dad, your dad was on the Dodgers in nineteen seventy six, and when Rick Monday was playing for the Cubs and save the American Flag fifty years ago. What were your thoughts on what we saw tonight and if there was any memories of that day since your dad was on the Dodgers back back in seventy six.
Speaker 7: Yes, I know that. Eleven years old, I didn't quite understand what was going on and I was back in school of America, but it was it made the news, I mean, all over the world of baseball. And asked my dad about this because I liked Rick Monday when he was a player with the Cubs, and I remember meeting him as a youngster. We're in the blue uniform on the other side, and my dad explained to me what was going on related to the troops and the war and protests and things like that. So it was nice to kind of put it all together today to see how much it means to the country, how much Rick does for you know, veterans and disabled veterans and the true marine, a guy that is you know, he goes by the rules, he's on time every single time. About to see him today, just a humblest showing up with his wife and stepdaughter and the family there today was quite special, knowing the meaning that it has because he's never know something like that, how far is going to go? But as a youngster, to me, it was somebody taking the flog. And then I understood the importance in the moment and what the country was living through and the role was going through. To really get a great grasp about how heroic and how big that was. I congratulate him a great colleague and a good friend. Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose well said, and we'll see at the ballpark tomorrow. You can say out to Rick Monday again tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Let's do that.
Speaker 2: I might run into him, Thanksjse There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. And I had never seen the flag that Rick Monday saved up close. And they brought the flag not only in the broadcast booth for him and his wife Barbara Lee to hold up during God Bless America, but they brought in the American flag and the statue, the mini statue that was presented to Rick by the Marine Corps Toys for Tots and that was an incredible piece of art that they gave Rick Monday. And like I said, I had never seen the American flag. I've seen photos of him holding it. I've seen him on the field holding.
Speaker 3: It up, but he's never allowed me to get anywhere near it, of course.
Speaker 2: But they brought it up to the press box after the pregame ceremonies and laid it on the table for those of us that had never seen it or been that close to it to take a photograph of it.
Speaker 3: And it was pretty cool to see up close.
Speaker 2: It's been through a lot, but certainly, you know, to see it that up close and personal was really special. And also you'll be able to see it at Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's going to be part of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Country's exhibit out there in Cooperstown. So awesome for them to be part of the celebration. And I guess online at the Baseball Hall of Fame's website, there's a lot of new memorabilia celebrating Rick Monday saving the flag, including a pretty cool homage t shirt I might have to dip into and make an impulse Instagram buy on. So that's all there. And if you're going out to the Baseball Hall of Fame this summer, I'm sure you'll see that exhibit.
Speaker 3: All right, that'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: As the tarp is on the field here at Dodgers Stadium with rain expected overnight. Justin Robleski is on the mount tomorrow for the Dodgers. He's three and oh with an ERA of one eighty eight. He's on a hot streak right now. He's going up against left hander Shota Imanaga, who is two and one with an ERA of two seventeen. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at noon, first pitch at one ten. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to calling E back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium, and thanks to you for listening once again. The final score tonight, the Dodgers put up a twelve spot on the Cubs and snap their ten game winning streak with a twelve to four win. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see him