Speaker 1: This is America's Truck and Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Welcome aboard, Thanks for tuning in on this Wednesday morning America's Truck and Network, the show that is the exception to the rule that nothing good happens after midnight. By the way, this came up the other day, my wife and I were talking. We were watching a couple of shows, and you know, at the beginning of the show, the host will say something like, We've got a really great show for you today and all this, and I'm thinking, well, what was yesterday's show or you know, was that you know, kind of a whole home show. At least you'll never hear that on this program, because after all, it just goes without saying, we're getting all This is kind of one of the most confusing weeks I've seen as far as news cycle, as far as what's going on in the trucking industry, what we're hearing, what we're seeing, what's going on. We're hearing reports that for months now. I mean, you had all this conversation and I've had conversations with you folks at the American at the Mid America Trucking Show about over capacity, the driver shortage, and back and forth that way, and a lot of people for years have been saying there is no such thing as a driver shortage. The key is having qualified drivers, having people that follow the rules, and we've seen that as a result of that, there have been things put in place because the scenario, or the political line, or what everybody's been pointing at with this driver shortage is that this force. When you have a shortage of something and you try to fix it, you have to do certain things in order to fix it. And what one of the things was is what's led to the illegals, the lack of training, the significant training of people out on the highway, illegals with expired visas actually on the road. Lack of enforcing the English language proficiency. Now what we're seeing with the enforcement of that and the revocation of those CDLs, all of a sudden, everybody is talking about that. Oh well, now we know the overcapacity is shrinking and that could be a problem as well. Well, it's either one or the other. Either you have too many drivers or you don't have enough drivers. And if you don't have enough drive let's back up a second. Okay, let's use some common sense here, all right, if there's a lack of if there was a lack of shortage or a lack of drivers and a driver shortage, that would mean that there's not enough drivers to drive the trucks because of the volume that there is in the industry, and that shelves would be empty. Certain things aren't getting delivered. Stuff is backing up on either the docks coming in from the imports or at warehouses, or orders are not being filled because there's nobody on the road. We haven't heard any of that. There has been plenty with the exception of the pandemic obviously, when a lot of businesses were shut down, factories were closed, and of course nothing was moving. That which was moving, the only way that it was moving was by the trucking industry and the heroes that you all, we're out there all of a sudden, once the pandemic was over, it's just back to normal. It's just like, oh, you know, they're just truck drivers, you know, not very important. It's just the truck drivers. And so now the focus is on when we've seen when there are bad drivers out there and those lead to accidents, and people dig into that and say that, well, these people were unqualified, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Then all of a sudden, the focus goes on that, and then start people start talking about what we need trained truck drivers out there and people that are adequately schooled and capacity tests, which you guys have been screaming for for years, but now we're starting to hear that the capacity is shrinking, when in fact we're talking about whether or not. Again, we're not talking about anybody saying that stuff isn't getting delivered. There aren't you know, this stuff is stacking up the warehouse. So we've got that dynamic going on. We got some numbers yesterday on us manufacturing, and on the one hand, the people that write the report are saying one thing, and the people that are interpreting the report are saying another. We're hearing stuff about companies starting to lay people off, and I find it interesting that when and the companies we mentioned yesterday, and we've got more details on that, and of course it'll come up because there's a couple of other companies that have been added to the list, and they're included in what we talked about yesterday. When you look at Amazon and ups, all right, they're talking about layoffs there, and in Amazon's case, they're doing more automation. Well, that isn't affected by tariffs. If you're moving goods and you're moving supplies, you're moving packages from one end of the country to the other, that isn't involved in tariffs. So people trying to blame any layoffs as opposed with Amazon having to do with tariffs or any of those pressures there again is unwarranted. But we also saw with Amazon a couple of years ago, weren't they at the forefront of we are now boosting our employees. We have increased their salaries from twelve dollars or whatever up to twenty dollars an hour, and we're going to start paying for vacation, and we're going to we're gonna be having benefits and all this sort of stuff. Well, now all of a sudden they're laying people off. Did they not have the business plan to look forward and say, gee whiz, if we based on our volume based on the number of packages that we are delivered, bring on a regular basis, based on what we forecast the number of packages that we're going to be doing, we need x number of employees. Did they not factor in the fact that if you raise people's salary, that's going to cut into your profitability, which Amazon's not hurting as far as profit is concerned. But now all of a sudden, they're starting to lay people off and they want to find some reason to blame it, and they're trying to blame it on the soft economy, or they're trying to blame it on tariffs, or how about blaming it on yourselves by over promising and underproducing in terms of what you're doing. UPS mentioning that they were going to be laying off some of their employees, that they were going to actually not laying them off, because layoffs indicate that you're bringing them back, but firing and eliminating certain positions. Wasn't it just two years ago that UPS signed that big contract with their employees about a year and a half ago, I guess, and took their out they were Now the truck drivers for UPS are making one hundred and seventy five thousand dollars a year. Now. I'm not begrudging anybody getting what they can, but if you're overpricing yourself out of a out of a job and the benefit that that job provides to that employer isn't enough to cover the cost. I mean, you've got to be able to produce a certain number of items, and that certain number of items has at retail has to then cover the cost of keeping the lights on, of keeping the process moving, keeping the trucks maintained, keeping the warehousing up and going, and making sure that the renovations and maintenance that needs to go on these facilities, and also pay your employees, and so that in order to turn a profit, you have to sell or you have to produce or deliver enough package to cover all those expenses. And if you're going to go out and raise your people's salary and under this contract by ten percent every year for the next six years, at some point in time you're looking at that and your profitability isn't as much as it was. And now these people are being laid off and they want to blame it on the economy. See, these are the things that when you dig into the numbers, when you understand the numbers and you remember what they've done in the past that got them into this position, a lot of their arguments that they're using just don't fly. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: I need this is the Braething reward on America's Trucking Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: There is a possibility that Britney Forrest takes our last ride at a top field dranks. They are two weeks from now at the In and Out Burger and HRI Finals in Pomota, California. But regardless of what happens at our home track, Force can walk away secure in the knowledge that she's earned her place among Nitro Racing's all time greats. Force won't win a third championship this season, but she doesn't need to. With her win in Las Vegas, she is now nineteen career victories and has passed Shirley Muldowndy as the sports winning as female top fuel racer. Brian Barnhart and Kyle Sagan have left Arrow McLaren Racing for Ray Hall Letterman Landing and Racing. Barnhart the former IndyCar executive who worked underfellow former IndyCar president Jay Frye before departing for Harding Racing Andretti Global, and Arrow McLaren reunites with fry at RLLL and has been named the team's senior VP of Operations. Barnhart will also serve as Graham Ray race strategists in the number fifteen Honda. Along with Barnhart, the Arrow McLaren team also lost Sagan, who will act as rlll's pit stop manager.
Speaker 1: Need This is the racing reward on America's Trucking Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Say Dennison reporting for a t and the stock market goes up, you make money.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Board in America instruct a Network seven hundred WLW. Previous segment, We're talking about how businesses are starting to react and we're starting to see a certain number of layoffs, and they're trying to blame it on one thing, when in fact it probably has a result of something else. I'm also hearing a lot of people on certain shows starting to talk about inflation, starting to talk about inflation. I mean, where were you people back in twenty twenty one when Biden took office in twenty twenty one, because he started shutting down production of US oil, starting to not cancel the oil permitting and the sales of the leases, which by the way, were authorized and regulated and done by ordered by Congress, and so the Administrative Office, the executive branch, ignored the law and said, we're not going to do this. And where was the constitutional crisis at that point that when something was ordered and you're not doing it and you're not following it, where is the threat to democracy with that kind of talk. Okay, so you start canceling oil leases, you know, stop drilling in the in the golf and some of these just take Alaska off the table, and gas prices and oil prices went up dramatically. Gas prices went up almost a dollar a gallon within the first year. Then in twenty twenty two, in February, Russia invaded Ukraine and gas went up another dollar twenty five So between the two years, within a two year period of time, gas had gone up almost two dollars and fifty cents, two dollars and twenty five cents, to the point where in June of twenty twenty two, across the board, you know, the average gas across the United States was over five dollars a gallon. Today that number is three dollars and five cents. So we've gone from almost over five dollars a gall was five dollars and two cents on June the fourteenth of twenty twenty two, to the point now we're at three dollars and five cents nationwide, So gas prices have come down a full two dollars. Nobody's talking about that dramatic change, but nobody was talking about how dramatically increased it was. And we had inflation at nine point one percent in twenty twenty two. We had more inflation in twenty twenty three, and then all of a sudden in twenty twenty four, and then at the end of twenty twenty four and beginning of twenty twenty five, and for the most of this year, we are hearing about prices going up. I started hearing. I mean, people were talking about, oh, you know, the price of eggs. All right, well, let's look at the price of eggs. That has nothing to do with taris, That has nothing to do with the economic policy of the Trump administration. Has everything to do with the bird flu. And the bird flu if it's going in, it's killing a flock. You know. I guess people, you know, you know, the settled maybe maybe the chicken and eggs science hasn't been settled. You know, if you don't have chickens, you're not going to have eggs. So I guess the thing is is you know what comes first, the chicken or the egg. All right, So if there's a less supply of eggs, of course the price is going to go up. Now that the flocks are coming back, those prices are coming down, we start I'm hearing more and more people talk about the price of beef. Well, if you've got herds that are down in the in the range of nineteen fifty one, when the size of the herds were that for the population that we had at the time, and we pretty much doubled that doubled that pop population in that period of time. And now all of a sudden we have the same number of herds, and you have drought in certain areas and you don't have enough count. Of course this price is going to go off. Where's that have to do anything with a terrace? Then when I start hearing people talking about certain things in terms of well, you know, prices are going out of control, and the prices are high and all this sort of stuff. All right, Well, site examples. Let's look at each one of these individual items, item by item. Instead of just saying across the board. Now, maybe you know, maybe I'm in a bubble here, maybe maybe I am not well. I know, I'm not the typical consumer. I'm not the first one in line to get the latest and greatest electronic item. I'm not the first one in line to see the latest movie that was premiered. So I am kind of a steady consumer. I know what I like. I know the things that I like to eat. I know the food that I like to get. I know the food that my wife and I we prefer, and the food that we prepare here when we well at the house. That what we buy. And so I am focused on what we buy on a regular basis. Where I buy my clothes, where I brought buy my shoes, all these kinds of things. And quite honestly, I am not seeing the inflation that a lot of people are talking about now. If you're talking about a refrigerator, if you're talking about a stereo, if you're talking about some of this other equipment, but if you've got you're not out buying appliances every day. And every time I've ever had to buy a refrigerator, I am I have sticker shocked by it. Because if you've bought the refrigerator ten years ago, and now you're back in the market buying a refrigerator. It's going to be a shock. And so when you see these items and people talk about that, is it stick or shocked from when they first purchased it. Now there has been increases in terms as a result of terrorists having to do with items coming in from Asia and so on. That's been affected in the in the furniture, been affected in electronics and those types of things. But overall, when you look at the inflation, at least the inflation that I'm seeing on what we're buying here in this area. Now, if inflation is out of control, one of the first things you start seeing is people not spending, people holding back, and especially if it has to do with some sort of a an item that's not a necessity. You know, obviously, if it's a necessity, you're gonna have to buy it, You're gonna have to pay for it no matter what. But when you see the luxury items, when you see things, you know, when they talk about disposable income, what people spend their money on at that point, then you look at those prices and if those aren't to your satisfaction, you just don't spend it. And what we saw at the end of the pandemic you may recall, is that people had had this pent up desire, this pent up anticipation, wanting to get out and about. They had been stuck at home. They were buying stuff having it delivered to the house. They were spending money at the big box stores, improving their homes, and so those prices went up. Remember, lumber started going up. All the stuff that you would use to renovate your house, all those prices came up. Why because there were stimulus checks coming in. Some people were still working, they were working from home, so they had this additional income. The fact that they were going to be stuck at home, they wanted to improve their living conditions, so they did some renovations around the house. But as a result of that, you started seeing some of those items creep up. Because when you've got more dollars going after the same items, aren't raising those prices. I didn't hear anybody complaining about They would say, oh wow, did you see the price of lumber, and then move on. It wasn't like they were fixating. Was my god, the world is coming to an end because this piece of water or this thing went up tremendously. Oh my god, what are we going to do? You know, it was just oh okay, at the price went up, I'm going to pay for it and move on. But now all of a sudden, it seems people are fixated on certain things. We just had a couple of weeks ago talking about Walmart that them recognizing what's going on, that they are making sure that they are sourcing from different organizations, different suppliers to get the lowest prices that they can. They talked about that the Thanksgiving meal is going to be well was it fourteen percent cheaper than it was last year, and that they have done a deal with with Butterball turkey to get that down in ninety seven cents a pound, which is the lowest level since twenty nineteen. So the areas and the people that are focused on this and the people that are working on this are doing a good job. When you see the EV prices, when you see that a couple of years ago, when they put in the tax credit of seven thousand dollars and then overnight the EV manufacturers of the dealers raised the prices of those vehicles by seven thousand dollars. I didn't hear anybody screaming and yelling about that, I pointed out here on the show. But when I see what people are complaining about and ask them for specifics, they can't provide any I'm Kevin Gordon, America's struck A Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: As votes are counted across the country, Democrats celebrating wins in key races from coast to coasts with your twelve thirty report, I'm Travis Laird breaking now in Virginia. Democrat Abigail span Berger flipped the government office. In New Jersey, Mikey Cheryl defeated Trump aligned Republican Jack Sattarelli. New York City elected Democratic socialist Zoron Mamdanie Mayer, ending Andrew Cuomo's attempted political comeback. In California, Prop fifty passed easily, eight redistricting measure expected to shift five House seats to Democrats. In twenty twenty six, President Trump blamed the government shutdown for the losses and insisted, quote Trump wasn't on the ballot.
Speaker 2: Now, let's say a look lad the latest.
Speaker 4: Trafficking the Training, Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: As we look ahead to our daybreak Wednesday, It's clear and not as cold. Seven am. Temperature of forty seven now rest of our Wednesday sunshine pleasant, a high a sixty seven at night, fair skies, and we dropped to thirty eight from your severe weather station. I'm nine first Warning, Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley, News Radio seven hundred WLW, Right now forty five degrees sinnati here at home. Voters across Greater Cincinnati decided a full slate of local races and levees tonight. Mayor pure of all, of course, winning re election all eight incumbents on Cincinnati City Council of one reelection, joined by political Newcrumber newcomer Ryan James, a West End residents and nonprofit advocate, who becomes the youngest black man to ever be elected to council. Every winning candidate was endorsed by the Democratic Party, including Vice Mayor jan Michelle lemon Kearney Scotti, Johnson, Mika Owens, Mark Jeffries, Anna Albi, Seth Walsh, Jennef Kramerding, and Evan Nolan. Former members Liz Keating and Christopher Smitherman failed to regain their seats. Regionally, voters rejected Lakota's half billion dollar facilities plan, but approved oak Hill's bond issue to build two new schools Cincinnati Public Schools ten year Levy renewal past and cole Rain Township voters approved a police levee to add seven new officers. Now let's do some sports.
Speaker 7: Seven hundred w LW Sports Angles trading linebacker Logan Wilson to the Cowboys for a seventh round pick red signing right handed relief pitcher Keagan Thompson to a one year deal the Ohio Bobcats defeating Miami twenty four to twenty and in high school girls soccer State semi final action in Ohio in Division one, seating over Pickerington North four one D two Anthony Wayne shutting out Anderson one nil. Baden with a one nil went over Hoban in D three in Division four Summit Country Day six, Ottawa Glandorf two, and in Division five Madera two, Fairbanks one.
Speaker 5: Thank you as always, Lee Mallen. Your next update is at one o'clock. Breaking news anytime I'm Travis Laird News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: From NBA Champion Stephen Curry comes shot ready, powerful, never before seen. Look at the mindset that changed the game. I fell in love with the GC.
Speaker 8: Here's your trucking forecast the Try State in the rest of the country. In the Try State, overnight partly cloudy, the low dropping forty seven sunny Wednesday, highs into the upper sixties Thursday, sunny sky's continuing. It will be cooler, a high of fifty eight, rain in a possible storm in the afternoon. Friday, a high of sixty four. Nationally, the Pacific Northwest and northern California is seen unsettled weather with a threat for flash floody Wednesday and Thursday from northern California to the Olympic Mountains. A clipper system moving through the northeast Wednesday into Thursday, bringing a thread of storms, strong winds and snow and higher elevations. The middle of the country meanwhile, see mostly above average temperatures.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred wl W im Kevin Gordon. This is America is struck in network. By the way, if you miss any of our shows or miss any of our previous segments, hit up that iHeartRadio app brought to you by our friends at rush Throuck Centers. Talked about at the beginning of the show talking about some of these reports and what's interesting if you look at the report and the person or the people that prepare the report versus the people that report on the report, it seems like you're looking at a comple letely different situation. It almost reminds me of when a group of us were going to these various city council meetings and county commissioner meetings and we were trying to affect some change and get some you know, make sure that we were keeping our finger on the pulse and making sure that they were spending money wisely, asking them questions about the budget, making sure that when they put through it we're talking about a tax increase, having to justify that and kind of embarrassing them and you know, keeping you know, keeping their feet to the fire, so to speak. And it was one of those things where when you go to a meeting and the questions are allowed by the audience, people would ask amazing questions, and at the end of the meeting, the reporters, instead of going over and asking the person, well, you know what, you know what, why'd you bring this up? And and were you satisfied with the answer or whatever. No, they would make a bee line to go up and talk to the head of the county or the mayor or some of the city council to get their reaction to what was being said. And it's almost like it was these again. I mean, I've been calling I've been calling reporters spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media for kind. It seems like I've been twenty years now. And again I emphasize the fact that in England they don't call them news anchors. They call them news presenters. And if you notice when they're doing the news, they are with the hands, they're doing the hand gestures of pushing, you know, out expressing that like they're presenting the news to you. So it's not like they're doing this independent investigation and digging into the things. They're just reporting what's there and the old saying, if it leads, it bleeds. But these spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media, and especially the journalists with the newspapers and stuff, then make a bee line to go up and talk to these people at these meetings simply because hey, you know, it's a lot easier to pick up the phone and have them report the news to you so that you can regurgitate it to the American public rather than going out and finding out and digging into the story and coming up with what the news it is. So they were going up to suck up to them to say, well, you know, what was your reaction to that question that was asked? And so on. And when I'd get home from these meetings, I'd say to my wife, I'd say, God, you know, this meeting was really interesting. You know, this guy said this, and this guy said that, and this guy said that. And this was when we were still subscribing to the newspaper, before we realized that it was a rag and it was just, you know, nothing but nonsense. So we stopped the subscription. But she would read the article and she goes, Okay, did you really go to that meeting last night, because what you said happened in the meeting certainly isn't reflected in this in this article. And it was. We would laugh about it because you know, you are witnessing something with your own eyes. You are listening to what has been said, and then you read the article about that. And of course, when i'd bring this up, people kind of at first, I mean, I'm talking fifteen twenty years ago. I'm well, this is more recent, ten fIF ten years ago. But for years I've brought these up and people will say, you know, Kevin, you know, you just here, you know, you're saying certain things about the news media. And I find that hard to believe until somebody is interviewed by a reporter and they will say that, well, jeez, this person talked to me for like ten minutes and the quote that they put in the newspaper wasn't anything near what I said. And every time this would happen and somebody tell me about it, I'd say, well, welcome to my world, because when you look at what's being said versus what the person interpreting what was said, it is far different. Again, this is what I came to mind when I'm looking at this particular report on manufacturing input. All right, here's the story. S and P Global US Manufacturing PMI. This Purchasing Manager's index. Steady growth of US manufacturing sector in October, highest production underpinned by fastest demand growth in twenty years. Then they say tariffs way on exports. But again that is as we have had in the past. When our goods are being sold overseas and they have put tariffs on them, we are not selling as much over there as we should. And the fact of these tariffs are to bring some of those walls down and make our goods more appealing or less restrictive in those countries. So again tariff's way on exports. Well, they've been weighing on exports all along because our trade and balance with these other countries we had low terrace, they had high terrace. Let me see underpin further steep rising input prices, survey record increases, and finished goods. So finished goods are building up. But then you go to the report having and I'll get into what was said US manufactured mired in weakness as tariff gloom spreads. That is the report from Reuters. So getting into this, Chris Williamson, chief Business Economic Economists at SMP Global, US manufacturers reported a solid start to the fourth quarter, with the production rate rising at an increase rate in response to encouragingly robust jump in new orders. I'm having a problem reading this because the background is gray, and the lights in here are kind of dull, So go to flip on the light a little bit more. All right, that's better. US manufacturing report a solid start to the fourth quarter, with production rising at an increased rate in response to the encouragingly robust jump in new orders. However, lift the hood and the picture is not so healthy, and then they start getting into some of the underlying things that could cause problems. Most worrying is the unprecedented rise in unsold stock reported in October. Well, that would have to do not with the prices, but if people are not buying things, or if the exports are slowing down because these countries over there are balancing back and forth between their tariffs and our terraffs, then maybe, well we've been having problems selling stuff in those countries in the first place, so a build up in some of this inventory is not so bad. Plus the fact that you had at the beginning of the year you had in trying to get ahead of some of these tariffs that were going to go into place, people were buying a lot of stuff and having that in stock and then working off of that stock. So anything else that's produced is now building up as well. Companies have also become less optimistic about the year ahead, with the sentiment back down close to the gloomy levels seen around the April tariffs. Now, again, when you're talking about all this stuff going on in the economy, when you're talking about whether or not this country is going to agree with the terraffs or they're going to agree to some of the changes and some of the trade deals between the individual countries, these things are going to be in flux. But as it works out, and what we've seen over the entire year is that some of the stuff that was being predicted hasn't come true, and they keep putting it off. Again. They're talking in here about off to a good start, but the worrysome and again this being a survey of what you're seeing in the future when you don't know what the future is and there are certain things that are in there that still have to be unresolved. This whole concept of when you're being told by the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media that this isn't going to happen, this isn't going to happen, and then it does happen and things turn around then you look kind of foolish. But again with a survey and asking somebody to predict ahead what's going to be like next year, that's kind of next to them possible because you don't know what the factors are going to be. You don't know what's going to happen with the war in Ukraine, you don't know what's going to happen as far as trade deals with China and all that stuff being in the mix at this particular point in time kind of clouds what you're thinking about in the future. We'll pick this up. I'm Kevin Gordon, America Struck a network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: You've got a ton of equity in your home.
Speaker 2: You're sitting on a gold mine.
Speaker 3: You could do so much with all that cash, like.
Speaker 2: Short the PMI, the Purchasing Manager's Index, and how they are seeing now. Reuters is reporting in their story of this report, so they're reporting on the report. The title is US manufacturing mired and weakness as tariff gloom spreads all right in here. They start off with US manufacturing contracted for an eighth straight month in October, as new orders remained subdued and supplies and suppliers were taking longer to deliver materials to factories against the backdrop of tariffs on imported goods. Counts from the manufacturers in the Institute for Supply Management survey on Monday painted a dire picture of the factory sector. They didn't say dire in the report. They were saying that they were concerned. Not dire, but concerned, Okay, dire picture of the factory sector, which, ironically, President Donald Trump's sweeping duties are intended to stimulate. Economists have long argued it was impossible to restore manufacturing to its former glory because of structural issues, including worker shortages. Now, now that we've had all this, we've had one, two, three, and then four paragraphs in where they're talking about all this dire stuff and stuff not going so well, the ism said it's manufacturing. PMI fell to forty eight point seven last month from forty nine point one. Folks, that's a four tenths of a percentage point drop. Okay, so it's not like the sky is falling from the September number. A reading below fifty indicates contraction and manufacturing, which accounts for ten point one percent of the economy. Then in the following paragraph, PMI remained above forty two point three. So if it's at forty eight point seven, remain above forty two point three. So it's six point four percentage points higher than that, a forty two point three level that the ism said over time was consistent with an expansion of the overall economy. So it's come down four tenths of one percentage point and they want you to think that the sky is falling, but we're still six point four percent above where it shows consistent with the expansion of the overall economy. Economists pulled by Reuters had forecasts at PMI, and they go into what the economists had predicted. But again that to me, it's almost like they have contradicted themselves in the same story. Not only they didn't even bother going a couple of paragraphs later, it was the very next paragraph. And this is the thing that I keep stressing when you go to these headlines, Like I said, if you were just rolling through your headlines or the headlines, if you get your phone and you pull that up, which was a lot of people, a lot of young people and you know some people, older people. They scroll through their phones and they see the headlines. So if you see a headline US manufacturing mired in weakness as tariff glooms, gloom spreads. Okay, where is that in this comment here about the expansion of the manufacturing See the headline doesn't match the story. Okay. Then they talk about a month long shutdown US government is making it difficult to get a good read of the economy. The shutdown, on track to be the longest on record, has caused a government economic data blackout. Prior to the shutdown, the economy appeared to be on solid footing for much of the third quarter, spurred by consumer spending and to some extent, business investment in artificial intelligence. But the shutdown could undercut consumer spending. As food aid to nearly forty two million people lapsed on Saturday. That has been taken care of. Something like sixty percent of those benefits have been done, and it will be And now that the election is over and we don't have to worry about all those people talking about the economy and of focus on that, and then how horrible the Trump administration is because they're trying to get themselves elected. Now that that's all behind us, maybe now the Democrats will say, you know what, we're going to end the Schumer shut down. We're going to stop insisting on you know what, do we keep hearing We kept hearing that, you know, our budget deficit is now over our debt is now over thirty seven trillion dollars. It's unsustainable. We're going to go bankrupt as a country. But oh, by the way, let's add one point five trillion more dollars to that, because we want to provide all kinds of services to people that aren't even citizens of this country. While our veterans are out on the street. Our veterans aren't getting the care that they need. And we spent one point what is it, one point five trillion dollars on the Green News steal over the last several years, when we could have been spending that on infrastructure, repairing our roads. So we're not damaging our suspensions, and we could provide more for our veterans. But let's spend one point five trillion dollars on people that have invaded this country. And we want to spend that money rather than and we'll grow the deficit, but not to do anything for our veterans. Unbelievable. So anyway, maybe now that the election has passed and those are still settled and whatever, the numbers are going to be coming out. As far as that, I honestly didn't want to even look well, I did look at it a little bit, but just you know, it's like I just I'll deal with it later on, you know, when we get home, because I did I didn't make I did record some of it just so I could get an idea of what they were talking about at the time. So it's amazing when you look at these numbers. Now. What we've been hearing also along the way, is that China is not cooperating China. We've had this problem. Trump met with the Jijingpang last week and already as a result of that, you know, they were talking about, well, they did not buy as much soybeans this year as they did last year, and they're not buying wheat all right. Well, what I'm not hearing is that where are they buying it, because there's if you're talking about soybean and wheat, you're still going to have to feed your people. Your people are going to have to eat something now where they're working off the stockpiles that they've built up because as we've seen that with the oil supplies and stuff their economy, their economy is not as strong as everybody likes to think. And the cracks in this economy come about periodic. When you see some of their production coming down, when you see their manufacturing stalling, when you see their GDP falling, when you see the fact that the property values within the country are falling and those aren't coming back, those are not good signs. But what they have been doing is they have still been buying a lot of oil, and people are trying to say, well, the economy must not be too bad because they're built buying a lot of oil. They're buying the same amount of oil that they were over the last few years. But all of a sudden, even though you know, even though it's a closed society over there and we don't get free flow of information, the words have come out that they have been building up their stockpiles. Now my question is what are they building up those stockpiles for. Are they building up for a stockpile to the point where if they want to do some oh, I don't know, maybe try to invade Taiwan or do some sort of expansion of their country or try to take over more territory or whatever that they're worried about that if the oil supplies are cut that they won't be able to fund that. So what they're doing is building up over the years, they bought a certain amount of grain. Maybe they've stored dataup because obviously if they're not buying it from US, if they're not indicating that they've bought it from anybody else. So now that they're buying the soybeans and the wheat, maybe they've been working off of their supplies that they've had. So now all of a sudden, all this concern that our farmers are going to have a problem with their crops, which is going to be subsidized by the federal government because if they're not being bought by China, they will subsidize that. But now China's saying that they're going to start buying all this stuff from the United States now. So as a result of last week's trip to Asia and sitting down with Jijingping, the ball has been moving and the needle has been moving as far as trade with China and raising getting to a certain deal. So it's been a weird week and it's a weird and I don't know if it's going to get any clearer by the end of the week. But what we're seeing on one end is being counterbalanced by something else. For every bit of good news we're seeing, we're seeing a little bit of possible bad news. And you know it'll straighten itself out. But folks, we're up against clock here. Time, fresh suit out the door. Stay tuned for Red Eye Radio The Top the Hour. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network. Trucking Network seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 4: News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Pure Vaul Davits Bowman.
Speaker 7: If your Top of the Hour reports, I'mley Mallin Breaking Now, that is