Speaker 1: Is Bengals pep Rally, presented by Just Beared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network Paycre. Paycor is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, Happy Honikah, and welcome to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's the food hall above the downtown Kroger at the intersection of Court and Walnut. We're here every Friday afternoon getting you ready for the Bengals upcoming game. And we are here until six o'clock tonight. I'm Dan Hord with Dave Lapham. We invite you to come out and join us today. What else are you going to do the day after Christmas?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: I mean why not talk a little football?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, maybe we can talk about what you get for Christmas present.
Speaker 2: Let me see if I have the Dave Lapham Christmas down pat There was a lot of eating, there was there was some football, absolutely, and there was a lot of playing.
Speaker 5: The grand kids, no doubt about that. A lot of grand kids. So we only have two that were in Cincinnati for Christmas. Now they're down south, they're in Florida, and my other two up in Wisconsin. So it was relatively quiet Christmas, but a lot of fun still.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're looking forward to having a fun day on Sunday, Yeah, we hope. As the Bengals host the Arizona Cardinals two games left in the season. Unfortunately, know that they are not headed to the postseason this year, but they would like to end the year with a three game winning streak and more specifically, reward the fans that have been coming out this year and win those last two home games against a couple of teams of lousy records, the three and twelve Cardinals and the three and twelve Cleveland.
Speaker 5: It's amazing six and twenty four combined record of last two opponents Cincinnati Bengals have in the twenty twenty five season. I agree with you, Dan, it's time to reward the Bengal fans for coming out. They supported this football team all year long. It had its ups and downs, more downs than ups. Let's face it, you know, there were more tough times to deal with Tuck then good times to celebrate, and the fans still made it, still showed up. Bengal fans are unique, you know, they're special. They love their football team, they love their organization, and it would be nice to win these last two games, so that'd be three wins in a row to build on twenty twenty six. Go into the off season on an up note and uptick and get ready for the twenty twenty sixth season with a little bit of a foundation under you.
Speaker 2: Well, Bengals are coming up their most dominant performance of the season last week on the road in Miami. Forty five to twenty one was the final score. The offense was great, the defense played extremely well, and the special teams was on point as well. Let's specifically talk about the offense one week before shutout at home by Baltimore. The next week, forty five points on the road against Miami, and they really took their foot off the gas pedal with about eleven and a half minutes to go in that game. Once the outcome was basically determined that's the most points they've ever scored with Joe Burrow at quarterback. They've had quite a few games with forty or more, but they had never scored forty five in a game. Here is offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher when asked, did the offense take that shutout personally? The week before against Baltimore?
Speaker 7: It's a collection of really prideful people, hyper competitive, and when you lose, it always pisses you off. And then when it happened the way it happened the week prior, Yeah, I mean there's probably a little something extra there. There's always something. You know, you always have fuel in this league because you have to. You have to have it every week or you're getting you're gonna get your buck kicked.
Speaker 3: But yeah, maybe helped a little bit.
Speaker 2: Lap you played pro football for twelve years. What was it like the week after you guys stunk up the joint?
Speaker 5: Like coach says, competitive people, uber competitive, and you know, your personal pride takes a hit when you get when you play like that offensively, when you the unit you're responsible for scoring points gets squad dosh, goose, egg nada, I mean, it's like there's nothing, there's no worse feeling than that, and you basically you can't wait to make a restitution. You know, you have a chance to the very That's the great thing about the NFL. If you lay an egg a one week, you can come back and play very well the following week and kind of make restitution for it a little bit. And BEng has laid a big egg. Man that shoutout was tough to tolerate, tough to watch, but man to come back the next week and put forty five points on the board shows that they've got resiliency. You know, they've got some resolve to them a little bit. They're not gonna They're not gonna stay down. And I think I think that's the thing that I'll remember most about this edition, the twenty twenty five edition of the Cincinnati Bengals, is they didn't quit. Did they play well? No, far from it. I mean they weren't consistent enough. You have to you have to be far more consistent than they were on a game by game, snap by snap basis. There's no doubt about it. But when things weren't going well, they didn't, you know, look at each other, get after each other, point fingers at each other and all that sort of thing and lay down for the opponent. They fought and they had personal pride and they bounced back. So I think that's something they can build on as well.
Speaker 2: You referenced the desire to end with a three game winning streak and how that gives you a little more momentum heading into the next season. It would give the Bengals a seven and ten record at the end of the year. That's unfortunately the best they can do, right, But I asked Zach Taylor earlier today, all right, is there really such a thing as momentum at the end of a season like this or is it just a cliche. Here's what Zach had to say.
Speaker 3: It makes you feel better, you know.
Speaker 8: I don't know if that momentum carries over. I think that's hard to say because you have a new team every year, but you put in a lot of work into this thing, and it's important to finish with a good feeling.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: Obviously the feeling's not going to be overall good, but just feel good to be in a locker roofer game with the hard week's work and be able to reap the benefits of that.
Speaker 2: So I get that. I mean, it's really hard to say how much momentum they'll have, knowing there will be changes on the roster, particularly on the defensive side of the ball in all likelihood, but as hard as you work in this sport, as much as you put your body on the line, to end with a three game winning streak does make you feel a ton better going into the offseason.
Speaker 5: I agree. I agree that you know your point you're making. Zach said the same thing. You know you take a pounding. I remember as a player at this at this point of the season, you're beating up, even if you're not injured as such, You're sore, you're tired, you're beating up a little bit. So, uh sometimes it's tough to uh muster the energy to have a good practice and go out there and plays as best as you possibly can in a football game. So again, I admire the fact that these guys they have an affinity for each other, They care about each other, They want to win football games for each other. It's all for one, one for all kinds of things. And to take that to the offensive line, I can remember, you know what it's like when we had terrible seasons but started to play well. And you know, offensive lines like making a fist, you curl the four fingers and you wrap the thumb and it's involuntary. You don't think about it. When you start playing well as an offensive line, that's what you do. Everything just falls into place. I mean, it's almost like magic. And you wonder why it took so long and where was it when you were struggling as a football team. But that's the beauty of football and it can come and it can go, and when you have it, you most definitely don't want to lose it.
Speaker 2: So one of the big things that was emphasized going into this season was the importance of getting off to a fast start. Right the Bengals did. They started the season two and oh so did the Cardinals. The Bengals are five and ten after a two and o start. The Cardinals are three and twelve after a two and o start. What do these two teams have in common, Well, both of both of them lost their starting quarterback early in the year. Joe Burrow got hurt in Week two. He was obviously out for a long time. Kyler Murray, who is the number one overall pick in the draft one year before Joe Burrow is the number one overall pick in the draft, got hurt in Week five and his case season ending. So no big mystery. You lose a guy with that kind of importance to your team, it's probably not going to go well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I mean, the most important player in sports, not just football, not just pro football, is the quarterback.
Speaker 3: You know, the.
Speaker 5: Quarterback is probably the highest paid position group in sports, and individual quarterbacks of the highest paid players in sports. So when you lose your guy, it's it's very, very difficult, and you don't change your offense necessarily, but you do different things within the scope of that offense. I mean, it's like if the quarterback that was replacing a starter, a star starter like a Joe Burrow, was equal to Joe Burrow physically, he probably you probably get some reps, you get some playing time, keep from sharp. It's not the case. That's rarely the case in the National Football started started for a reason. So but how about that the Bengals are five and ten, Arizona's three and twelve, five and twenty two, five and twenty two. That right there, alone, in my mind, you know, is a great example. I mean, it's just it puts a stamp on the importance of quarterback playing the National Football League.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show. We are live today at the on the Rhine Eatery, the food hall on the second floor above the downtown Kroger at the intersection of Court and Walnut. We are here until six o'clock tonight, and in the final hour of our show, we'll have a very special guest. Lap, of course, is the Bengals starting left guard in Super Bowl sixteen, and we will have the current starting left guard joining us in the final hour of our show, rookie Dellon Fairchild. He's having a very productive first.
Speaker 5: Year, certainly is Dan. You know, I think he's he's going to be around for a while. I think he's going to have a very very good professional career. Could be like a double digit, you know, professional career, ten or twelve year professional career. You never know about injuries and god forbid, you know, knock on wood barring injury. He's got what it takes. I mean, he's got what you need to be able to perform at a high level in the National Football League. There's there's no question about it. And he wants to be good, and he's coachable, and he listens to the coach and he applies to fundamentals and techniques that they want him to do. He played at Georgia, played well at Georgia, excelled at Georgia. He was an All American at Georgia. So this guy's the real deal, all right.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a time out. This week's opponent is the Arizona Cardinals. When we come back, we will head to Arizona and get the inside scoop on the three and twelve Sunday afternoon opponent. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear, Chicken Life and the On the Right Eater here in downtown Cincinnati on ESPN fifteen thirty. Dan Ordon, Dave Lap I'm back on the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Jess Baird Chicken Relive at the On the Rhine eatering in downtown Cincinnati. Today. Dylan Fairchild will be our special guest. He'll join us in the final hour of our three hour show. Mike mills Is and our engineer Drew Western Heidi back in the studio. We're getting ready for the Bengals and the Arizona Cardinals coming up on Sunday at one o'clock at Pey Corpse Stadium. Time to get the inside scoop on this week's opponent. To do that, we welcome in Theo Macki, who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona Republic THEOA. We appreciate you joining us on the show. When you saw Arizona at Cincinnati in late December, you probably figured you were going to freeze when you came here this weekend. We are going to give you a sixty degree day on Sunday. Are you prepared?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was. I was not expecting a sixty degree day.
Speaker 9: I was checking the weather this week and I was like, looky coat, do I need to bring my Parker or my normal winter coat?
Speaker 2: And it was like, no, you don't really.
Speaker 9: Need a coat at all. So that's not what I was expecting.
Speaker 5: Hey, really, I mean this is this is not normal. It's not typical. It's not the temperature that you have this time of year normally here in Cincinnati. So we're all very thankful. We're all very grateful. The Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 9: I think the Cardinals are grateful for it.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 5: I bet, I bet they are. The Cardinals are finishing a tough season, to say the least, a three and twelve record. The Bengals aren't much better at five and ten. But what do you think is the biggest reason that the Arizona Cardinals fell to a three and twelve record this season?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the number one thing.
Speaker 9: Is a familiar answer for so many teams that have this level of a disappointing season, like you look at the.
Speaker 2: Lions being eliminated today.
Speaker 9: Well, health is a huge reason, and.
Speaker 3: That's certainly the case in Arizona.
Speaker 9: They've got more games missed than any other team in the league this year due to injury, but also underperformance into trenches has been a huge reason. They've spent a lot of resources for agency in the draft of their defensive line, which is the least is on their offensive line, which is frankly quite bad. And when you're not good in the trenches, you're not healthy, and you don't have a stability at quarterbacks, you're probably not going to be a very good team. So kind of starts with those areas.
Speaker 2: Theo Mackie from the Arizona Republic is our guest I'll be honest, I really haven't watched a lot of the Cardinals during the course of this season. When I so so, when I excuse me, started doing some homework earlier this week, I was surprised to see that the offense has actually been better, at least statistically, after Kyle Murray went down and Jacoby Brissett took over as the starting quarterback. Is that accurate or is that just sometimes the numbers can be deceiving. I would say it's.
Speaker 9: Been honestly about the same when when Jacoby first took over, there was definitely an improvement, and I think Key Moore so fits the way that they want to play like this. These are guys that came from their offensive coordinator, came from a seven Kevin Stefanski system in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Wants to be.
Speaker 9: Under center, wants to rely on the play action game, and that doesn't work when your quarterback is five but ten. So it fit better when.
Speaker 2: Jacoby stepped in.
Speaker 9: But a lot of the production recently these past few weeks has come. You know, in garbage time, they're down by twenty five points in the second half and they're putting up pick numbers.
Speaker 2: It's like, all right, what does that really mean.
Speaker 9: And how much of it can be attributed to that and how much of it can just be all right, we're down big and teams that playing three event defense, and it's easier to move the ball now, which which I think is a large part of it. So the offense looks different. I don't know that it necessarily looks better. Maybe a little bit more more cohesive.
Speaker 6: Down down, but less explosive.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that does, It makes makes total sense. I would think that the the common denominator for both of the quarterbacks probably was lack of a consistent running game. Not that the Cardinals didn't run the ball well at times. They had games where they ran the ball very well, extremely efficient running the football, but the consistency of doing it on a game by game basis is probably you know, the biggest reason for the record three and twelve? Is that accurate? Or is that way off base one?
Speaker 9: And that's kind of what I was talking about earlier with the trenches. It's very hard, obviously with the running game, to separate the running backs from the the offensive line performance and the running backs.
Speaker 2: It's certainly benefactor because James.
Speaker 9: Connor went down with the season ending injury and three trade ns and went down with the season ending injury the week after that. Like, they're starting running backs for most of the season have been basically the squad guys, so that's certainly part of it. I think if you look at the advanced numbers, they're like last, and I think the NFL does now like rush yards over expected, which is based on how your offensive line blocks for you. I think their running backs are last or bottom five slightly, so that's part of it. They're not getting pushed though with their offensive line either. And last year, like the Cardinals offense exceeded expectations and it was totally because of the run game.
Speaker 5: They were second in yards per carry.
Speaker 2: Huh, and everything was kind of built off of that. We're chatting with Theo mackiew who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona Republic. The Cardinals have recently added a running back that we love here in Cincinnati. Corey Kiner, local high school legend to Roger Bacon High School, had a great career at the University of Cincinnati, with back to back one thousand yard seasons each of the last two years. I saw he got a decent number of carries last week. Would you anticipate that we will see a reasonable number of rushes for Corey Kiner on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, honestly, I.
Speaker 9: Did not know that he was he was a Cincinnati guy. That that's very cool that he's going to have that opportunity to play in front of family and friends. I'm sure, But yeah, I would expect, you know, maybe a driver to spelling Michael Carter who should be the lead guy.
Speaker 6: So I think he had six carries last week.
Speaker 9: I think that's probably a reasonable number to expect. Again, if he's in there for a driver too, obviously, you know when that's your role. It depends if both those drives are throwing out. He might only see one or two carries, but should be kind of that change of pace guy.
Speaker 5: The Bengals historically and franchise history, have had difficulty with good tight ends, you know, controlling and corraling tight ends that perform at a high level. Trey McBride is having a phenomenal season. I mean, his his numbers are staggering. He's putting up big, big numbers. But no matter who the quarterback is, it seems like, you know, they're all looking for him. And rightfully so he's earned and deserved that. What about Trey McBride, what is it about his game that makes him special?
Speaker 6: He is there's.
Speaker 9: A lot of things that could go for about ten minutes here. He's he's incredibly athletic, obviously, like when he gets the ball in space, it just seems like it tasts like four guys to bring him down, Like he just kind of is like a bowling ball in the.
Speaker 2: Way that he runs once he gets ahead of team, where guys.
Speaker 5: Are just bouncing off him.
Speaker 9: But it's feel for space, like if you're playing zone defense against him and and he sees a little pocket of space, he just has a great sense of where to find the space and the defense how to create that little bit of separation for the quarterback to find him in. And you know, I thought it was, oh, he and Kyler have a great rapport and that they're clearly have some sort of telepathic communication.
Speaker 6: What's when the exact same six percent took.
Speaker 9: Over, So you know you you then attribute it more to Okay, this is.
Speaker 5: Just a special, special.
Speaker 9: Special player, right He's doing it with multiple quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: He's fantastic and as.
Speaker 9: You mentioned, Bengals being the worst team in the league against tight ends, and you know I haven't checked with it with the VAGA numbers, saying I'm not a betting man, but I would have a hard time imagining that they're setting an over under high enough for his.
Speaker 2: Right right. A couple more questions for Theo mackew, who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona Republic. Walter Nolan was frequently mocked drafted to the Bengals this past offseason. The Cardinals took them one pick before Cincinnati, and now he's out. He suffered a season ending injury last week see the Josh Sweat. The team leader in Sax hasn't been practicing so far this week. You alluded earlier to the sheer number of players that the Cardinals have uninjured reserve, more than any other team. How battered and bruised is the team that we will see coming to Cincinnati on Sunday.
Speaker 9: Incredibly so on offense, they're they're down to three week one starters center Yelda frohol McBride and Michael Wilson, oh and Marvin Harrison.
Speaker 6: Ginia that he's limited with a.
Speaker 9: Heel injury, only played half the staffs last week on defense, like a among their like true difference maker type. You know that there's some like fringe starters who are healthy, but among like true starters, it's like cornerback Will Johnson, their second round pick, safety Jalen Thompson might go Kalaias Kibole defensive tackle is healthy and plays about half to snaps at his age at age thirty nine.
Speaker 2: And that's like it, Like you know, they have at least.
Speaker 9: Ten like crucial starters currently sideline. It's just you know, their injuries for a lot of the season, we're limited to offense, and now it's just kind of a blood bath for the whole team. It's really a second string lineup that they've had out there these last week or two.
Speaker 5: What about the defense, let's uh talk about them. I know we gotta we gotta run and we do appreciate the time that you've given us with You're phenomenal. You know the Arizona Cardinals. Inside out this defensive football team, offensive, defensive line, linebacker, there's safeties and corners, all three phases. How well have they played? Has one unit played exceedingly better than another? Have they all been average mediocre? Has one been poor? And a couple better, have two been poor and one better? How's it worked out this year?
Speaker 9: I would say they've all been pretty bad, Yeah, to various degrees. I mean, in their seven game losing streak right now, they've allowed forty points in four of those games.
Speaker 6: You know, when you have a defensive head coach and a defensive coordinator who many consider to be, you know, an up and coming head coach candidate coming into this season, it's just been wildly disappointing.
Speaker 9: You can, as I said, when they were healthier, the defensive.
Speaker 2: Line has been really bad.
Speaker 9: Outside of Walton All and who has been mentioned is now Auklays Campbell's been solid. Everyone else that has been really quite exploitable. And then that linebacker Mac Wilson Senior was a starting linebacker.
Speaker 6: He's pretty good.
Speaker 9: He's now on IRS was the last six games, and the guys who have stepped in for him have really been a weak spot. A Keen Davis Skaters came over from Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: As we know, he has not you know, he's.
Speaker 9: Been forced to step into this role that he did play in Cincinnati where he's playing every snap and just does not look up the steed. They've got a rookie fourths round pick Cody Simon from Ohio State. He's still kind of getting his feet under him, has had some good moments, but not quite ready for this role either. So you're just looking at a lot of guys who aren't really ready for this role. And there on the co sensive line, it's it's guys who are highly drafted. Garius Robinson was a first round pick last year and has really struggled. So those two groups, the whole front seven right now on this fairly weak outside of Josh Sweat, who is eleven zacks this season but but might not play this week, so it's it's a pretty weak Goog overall. The secondary is a little bit better, but it's been a little inconsistent as well.
Speaker 2: THEO, we know you have playing to catch this afternoon. Travel safe to Cincinnati, and thanks again for your time this afternoon. Thanks thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 5: I hope the airport background.
Speaker 6: Noise is not too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not bad at all.
Speaker 5: Much appreciated to you.
Speaker 3: I have a good one, all right.
Speaker 2: That is the THEO mackew who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona Republic. We'll take a time out. When we come back, we'll shine the spotlight on an unsung hero who has really emerged in recent weeks for Cincinnati. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, Live from the on the Rhyine Eatery, the food hull above the downtown Kroger here on ESPN fifteen thirty yours drops back to throw, begins scrambling right, floats it high and deep down the field.
Speaker 10: Intercepted another takeaway for Cincinnati, Jalen Davis with the pick, and the Bengals defense is having its best quarter in ages.
Speaker 5: It might be in team history. Three takeaways and a fourth down stop in one quarter.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally Show, presented by Jess Spare Chicken Life from the on the Rhyin Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Lapini are here until six o'clock tonight. Tylan Fairchild will be our special guest from five to six. We just heard a highlight from last week's game, the first career interception for Jalen Davis. Jalen has spent most of this season on the practice squad. Then when Cam Taylor Britt suffered his injury. Jalen got promoted to the regular roster. In recent weeks, He's been starting as the slot corner and Lappie looks a lot like Mike Hilton used to look. He's undersized, but he's making plays. He's a sure tackler, had a tremendous interception last week. Have the Bengals found something in Jalen Davis.
Speaker 5: Man, I'll tell you Dan, if they've found another Mike Hilton, they've unearthed a diamond.
Speaker 3: Man. I mean this. I agree with you. Jalen.
Speaker 5: He he has immense football IQ. He's Benza with his football IQ. He understands the game at such a high level, and the coaches it. He's always where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there, doing what he's supposed to do. His teammates love him because they can trust him. They also respect the heck out of him because he has not had an easy path to get where he's gotten in the National Football League. He's had to work hard. He's earned everything. Nothing's been given to him, nothing on a silver platter. Here you go, Jalen, you know this is this is what we're talking about. I respect the heck out of him as well. I mean, a guy who has sacrificed what he's sacrificed to get to where he is. I'll tell your heart, he's a great example of the old saying Mike Paul Brown used to say all the time, gentlemen, hard work pays off if you continue to work, if you continue to grind, if you continue to do everything we're asking you to do, and you know, you're going to have to trust us that the coaches know what we're talking about. And if we can get that kind of relationship going, you're going to be a great player, and we're going to advance your opportunity and you're going to make a lot of money for you and your family in this game, and you'll be around for a long time. I think Jalen Davis has headed that way.
Speaker 2: He joined the Bengals in Zach Taylor's first year as head coach, so he's been here for a while. He was on the Super Bowl team he got into the Super Bowl, but when Mike Hilton was on the team, he was always kind of Mike's back up. As long as Mike was healthy, Jalen was not getting a ton of snaps on defense. But he's getting them now. The defense has looked better as a result. Let's hear from head coach Zach Taylor on Jalen Davis.
Speaker 8: You know when he walks into building, what you're gonna get from JD? You're gonna get tremendous energy, good vibes. Guy, great since, a humor, person that everybody likes betting around. He's gonna work. He's got a knack for making plays, great communicator, really high football Q. You know, so just all the things you would you draw up a player. And I'm sure it's frustrating for him. You know, I've had a lot of training camp, final cut days. You know where AJD? Here we are again, you know, and we know we can count on you on the practice squad and if there's no ovation, we know we can get you out here and do it. And so for him just to make the most of the opportunity, You're you're just you're really happy for him to get that opportunity because he deserves it. He's worked hard for it. Just a great human, great player, one of those glue guys in the locker room that you got to have because he just he makes everybody around you happier better, just really really happy for him.
Speaker 2: The knock on Jaillen Davis has always been the lack of size. He's five ten one eighty six. You wish he was a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier. Yeah, that's not going to happen. But not only is he playing well, but since this move took place, it's kicked dax Hill from the slot to an outside corner position. I really think that's where he needs to stay. I think they've identified where he can have the biggest impact. Stop moving him around, keep him there. I'm with you, coach. I mean, Daxville is a potential shock outside corner. I really believe that he's got that the athletic ability to do that. He's got the size, he's got the length, he's got to change of direction ability, he's got the straight line speed. I mean, he projects as a potential Pro Bowl, if not Pro Bowl, high level player at the cornerback position for a long time.
Speaker 5: So having Jalen Davis being able to play in the slot like he has has improved two spots.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: And Al Goldin's defense in the back end, and I'm sure Al Golden's thrilled about it. I mean, he's got to be excited and happy about what has transpired. So, uh, you can never have enough defensive backs, That's that's for sure.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 5: That's one thing Paul Brown always said to you know, defensive backs, that's a that's a skilled position where you can never have enough for him. You know, you're down one in a game, you're down too in a game, and now you're struggling, you're in trouble. So I do think Jalen Davis is a guy that can provide versatility. He can play outside and the pinch. It's not like he's terrible outside, but he's a really good slot corner. Dax Hill can play inside and outside. So now al Golden has multiple guys that he can play, you know, chess with in his chess game, and he can check me people because they don't know what where they're going to line up, how they're going to line up, how many defensive backs, how many linebackers, how many defensive linemen they're going to have on the field. And versatility is the name of the game. If you've got versatility and diversity in your skill set, you're going to be around a long time.
Speaker 2: Coming up next. Joe Burrow spoke to reporters on Wednesday this week and he had something to say about the Arizona Cardinals that made me say WHOA. Well, hear what Joe said, and I'll explain why I had that reaction when we come back. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show or presented by Just Fair Chicken. Live from the on the right. We're here until six o'clock on ESPN fifteen thirty. Dan Horden Dave Lapham back on the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Paired Chicken. We are broadcasting live today as we always do on Friday afternoons from the on the Rhine Eatery. It's the food hall above the downtown Kroger at the intersection of Court and Walnut. If you have not been here before, come out and join us today. Plenty of great inexpensive food choices here. You can get burgers, you can get the best dry rub wings that we've had in town. Just had a little Asian food. There's a full service bar as well. Plenty of seating available and again our special guests coming up from five to six will be Bengals starting left guard. Third round draft pick, who's having an excellent rookie year Dylan Fairchild.
Speaker 5: Dan, I agree with you. I think he is having an excellent rookie year. I mean, I remember by rookie year as an offensive lineman in the NFL, it can be just so much to deal with. It's like, you know, where do I begin. It's like you can be easily overwhelmed, even if you played at a high level getting playing in the in the National Football League, at the professional level, the highest level of football, there's so much to learn offensively, so many different techniques, so many different fundamentals than you maybe learning and executed and played in college dealing. Fairchild's fortunate and that he played in the SEC, and he played at Georgia, one of the best conferences in college football, one of the best football teams in that conference, so he was exposed to football at a very high level, you know, in the collegiate game. So his transition to the National Football League might be a little bit smooth or a little bit easier than some other guys. And he's playing well. I mean, when he got inserted into the lineup, you could tell that he's a guy that could have an impact on the performance on an offensive line for sure.
Speaker 2: Tling Fairchild and his offensive teammates will be facing at Arizona d that's been struggling of late. The Cardinals come in with a seven game losing streak. During the seven game losing streak, here are the point totals that the other team has put up on the board. Forty four, forty one, twenty seven, twenty forty five, forty and twenty six. That's an average of thirty four point seven points allowed per game during the seven game losing streak. Earlier this week, Joe Burrow is asked to describe the Arizona Cardinals defensive approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't do.
Speaker 11: The traditional coverages that you typically see they do, but they get to them from different ways. They're going to play a kind of umbrella look from the secondary and roll and drop into a bunch of different coverages. What kind of reminds me of how Clemson kind of played us in the National Championship. So it'll present a unique challenge for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right. When I heard Joe Burrow say that a couple of days ago, here's why I said, WHOA. He compared the Arizona defense to the Clemson defense that he saw in the National Championship game with the twenty nineteen undefeated LSU team. Here's how Joe Burrow did against that defensive structure in the National Championship game. Four hundred and sixty three yards pass a, five touchdown passes, one touchdown run. Jamar Chase had nine catches for two hundred twenty eight yards in the game. LSU had six hundred and twenty eight yards of offense. So when Joe describes an opponent's defense as one that looks a lot like the Clemson defense that he faced in that National Championship game, I don't necessarily take it as a compliment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, very and now I understand what your your woes like. And they lit him up. I mean, Joe Burrow took him apart, picked him apart. Clemson had very very strong skill position players in that National Championship game. Joe Burrow, the strongest and the most skilled at the quarterback position, won the Heisman Trophy Best Player in College Football. He was throwing to Jamar Chase. They played with each other four years at LSU, and they lit it up. Had tremendous football game against the Clemson Tigers. So if the Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase can be the primary one to two punch of an offensive football team that performs at a high level against Arizona, and they performed like they did in the National Championship Game for Clemson and the teammates, their teammates support their efforts with strong performances of their own, could be a very very good day in Arizona and a nice playing ride home.
Speaker 2: Cardinals have given up forty plus in four of their last seven. While it feels to me like the Bengals offense is going to have a bad day now. Sometimes you have that feeling all week and it plays out differently from what you expect. But man, my gut tells me that Burrow and company are going to thrive on Sunday.
Speaker 5: I agree. I definitely think they're they're gonna thrive. I think they'll they'll thrive at a at a very high level. I would be surprised, not surprised, but I mean I think they're more than capable obviously of putting forty or more on the board themselves. They just scored forty five last week. Wouldn't it be great to put forty eight on the board, you know against the Earth team, fifty fifty hit five. Oh, let's hit the fitty.
Speaker 3: Oh why e five? Oh, let's do a little.
Speaker 5: Fitty I love it. Uh, that would be great.
Speaker 3: How about that? Though?
Speaker 5: If they do score fifty ninety five points scored in two weeks, that's that's mind boggling. That's incomprehensible. That's not the norm in the NFL, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna take a time out. When we come back, we'll talk about an Arizona player who's on the verge of setting an NFL single season record. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken live from the On the Rhine Eatery the Food Haul above the Downtown Kroger on ESPN fifteen thirty. It is a Friday afternoon here in the Queen City. That means we are hanging out at the On the Rhyin Eatery, the food hall above the Downtown Kroger for the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear chick In. The Bengals have a home game this week, the next to last game of the regular season, as they host the struggling Arizona Cardinals who started the season two to zero and have gone one to twelve since. But you can't blame those struggles on their tight end, Trey McBride. The NFL single season record for catches by a tight end is one hundred and sixteen. That was set by Zach Ertz several years ago. Trey McBride is almost certainly going to beat it. He's got one hundred and nine catches with two games to go. He had four catches last week. That marked the first time in seventeen games he did not have five or more, which is really unusual for a tight end. Let's hear from Bengals head coach Zach Taylor on Trey McBride.
Speaker 8: I think Trey McBride is a phenomenal tight end. You know, they use him really all the ways we try to get you more of the ball. You know, you see that from Trey. He's not gonna line up outside the numbers necessarily and run the full route tree out there, but put him out there and kind of the way you see Ertz use in Philly a little bit, try to get some matchups, and his Colorado State tape was full of these middle screens. I'd never really seen a tight end catch before and blow and behold. They're they're using them like crazy on that. So they're just trying to find a way to get him the ball every which way imaginable. They do a great job of it covered or uncovered. He's got really strong hands. He's a really physical runner, violent runner. One one of a really impressive, impressive players in this league.
Speaker 2: Lap to me, Trey McBride is brock Bowers from the Raiders, but just with less publicity.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great comment. I think that that sums it up big time. I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, brock Bauers is is a force. He's extremely gifted as a receiver. He can run the whole route tree like McBride. Seventeen straight games with five catches and more. That's amazing. It's amazing, and I'm almost speechless to the consistency of that.
Speaker 2: You know how hard it is and durability a tight end too, because you know those guys are operating in the middle of the field so often, they're taking shots from every direction. We used to talk about this with Tyler Eiford, who unfortunately had more than his share of injuries. At that position, you take shots that you can't avoid, whereas a wide receiver you've got a chance to get out of bound, out of bounds a little more often. Tight end, man, there's so many instances where you don't even know where they're coming from with some of these shots you take.
Speaker 5: Remember Bob Trumpy talking about that very thing.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 5: It's like, man, you know, when you're playing the tight end position and you're doing your damage in the middle of the football field, they're coming from everywhere. I mean, it's like incoming shots, man, you know, bombs away in you and you're the target. You know, you can get crushed by a linebacker, a middle linebacker, or an outside backer when you're running most of your patterns between the hash marks like Trump, he did safety, strong and free safety, middle linebacker, outside backers. He took hits from all of them, and a lot of times multiple guys on every play. You know, on a single play he get hit by a linebacker and a safety, a linebacker in a corner and you know, two of one one or the other, one of one.
Speaker 3: Two of the other. I mean, you know, he he.
Speaker 5: He was fairly revolutionary. Bill Walsh did a lot with Bob Trumpy. He was kind of like, you know, the receiver slash tight end of his era, of his day. And that's what these guys are. That's what a lot of these tight ends in today's football are. The offenses today are much more different, much different, i should say, than they were back in the seventies. Bob Trumpy stept drafted in nineteen sixty eight. Paul Brown was revolutionary. Paul Brown had a vision. Paul Brown saw things before anybody else did, and implemented them on the football field before anybody else could and made people adjust to him. And then he move on and do something else. And Bob Trump he was one of his early favorite experiments at the tight end position.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals have Marvin Harrison Junior on the roster, the fourth pick in the draft last year out of Ohio State. He's been beaten up in recent weeks, so he does not have tremendous stats this season. They do have a wide receiver that they drafted a few years ago out of Stanford, Michael Wilson, who's playing well, but make no mistake, when they drop back to throw, they are looking for Trey McBride first and foremost, Just like the Bengals look to get it to Jamar Chase at every opportunity. That's what the Cardinals are doing with Trey McBride.
Speaker 5: Agreed one hundred thousand percent. You know Trey McBride is gonna get his I mean, I think the quarterbacks with the Arizona Cardinals steel like if he doesn't get his five catches or more five to eight catches in the game, we've done a disservice to our football team and to Trey McBride because he wins so often. I mean, whenever he's out there running a route on a football field, he feels like he's better than the guy that he's going against, and he's gonna win, get separation. He's a big, strong body, so he runs with physicality. He can stick his foot in the ground and change direction and creates separation. He's not a slow tight end. I mean, he's not a speechter. He doesn't you know, he's not gonna set Olympic records. But the guy can run and he's a big, strong, physical, gifted athlete.
Speaker 2: One hour in the Books, two hours to go Here in the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bared Chicken. We're going to take a time out when we come back, Bengals defensive coordinator Al Golden says, definitively, we will turn it around on defense next year. You'll hear that when we come back. Live from the on the Rhine Eatery, the Food Hall above the Downtown Kruger. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Paycor.
Speaker 1: Paycor is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health, best Care for the best Fans. Kettering Health, official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen to thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Bengals pep Rally show presented by Just Bear Chicken, live on the Rhyane Eatery, the Food Haul above the Downtown Kroger at the intersection of Court and Walnut. We invite you to come out and join us this afternoon. We still have two hours to go on our Friday afternoon show. Bengals rookie Dylan Fairchild will join us from five to six. Nice, so if you'd like to get an autograph for a picture with Dylan Fairchild, he'll be happy to sign and pose during the commercial breaks. And we have some Bengals fans with us this afternoon. We look forward to Morvey joining us for the final hout of the show from five to six. It's the Bengals and the Arizona Cardinals coming up on Sunday at one o'clock at Pey Corse Stadium. The Bengals looking for their second win in a row, trying to hand the Cardinals their eighth loss in a row. The Bengals also looking to play as well defensively this week as they did last week against the Miami Dolphins. They gave a couple gave up a couple of early touchdowns, one in the first quarter, one in the second quarter, and then they were lights out in the second half. They got three takeaways and a fourth and one stop in the third quarter. They gave up a garbage time touchdown when they were way ahead. Otherwise they would have only given up fourteen points in the game. Even giving up twenty one is fine. With this offense, you're usually going to win. Sure when you allow twenty one or fewer points, no.
Speaker 3: Question, Dan.
Speaker 5: I mean three turnovers, takeaways and a fourth down stop in a quarter. That's mind boggling. I mean, that's like that doesn't happen in the National Football League. You've got offenses that are so dynamic. I mean, they have weapons that are incredible, and to be able to every single possession either take it away from them or stop them on downs is an extraordinary feat. I mean, I just I can't get over how impressive that is. At that point, I'm sure the Miami Dolphins were thinking, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: Everything?
Speaker 5: We call to have an answer for it? I mean, are they listening to our play calls? Is Al Golden got some kind of a microphone in our huddle or something? What's going on here? How are they able to be exactly where they need to be to stop the play? I mean, they played at such a high level in that third quarter, and like you say, Dan, twenty one points or less than the National Football League. I remember back in the day, if our defense held people to seventeen points or less, we expected to win the football game. We ask our defense, you know, seventeen or less, just holding to two touchdowns and field goal, and if we can't score three touchdowns, we don't deserve to win the game. And that's pretty much I think how Joe Burrow feels offensively, twenty one points in today's NFL, in today's world of offense and the creativity and the weapons and everything that the NFL has going for it today, if an offense is held to twenty one points, the defense that does that, their offensive football team should score twenty two or more and win the game.
Speaker 2: At this point, there's not much the Bengals defense can do to really improve the overall stats for the season. Even if they posted shutouts the final two games, they're going to rank near the bottom in a lot of these categories. They're currently lasting points allowed, lasting yards allowed. But it has clearly been getting better in recent weeks. Many of the young players that they've drafted in the first couple of days of the draft over the last three or four years have shown considerable improvement. And that's why Al Golden so strongly and definitively feels like this defense is going to be better next year.
Speaker 12: We're going to turn it around.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt. I mean, we got the right people in the building.
Speaker 12: We've got leaders emerging, We've played you know, a lot of young guys, and again I look at improvement. You know, individual improvement is what ultimately he's gonna lead to unit success and team success. So the biggest thing for me, you know, is Jordan Battle getting better. Did Joseph Osai get better? Is Myles Murphy getting better?
Speaker 3: Et cetera?
Speaker 12: Getting better? You know, it was Jenkins better this year than last year. And I can go on and on and then then the next thing is, Okay, now Night needs to be better. You know, we need to have continuity with Shamar Barrick, Carter needs to get better. But as DJ Turner better than last year, I'm gonna say, yeah, you know, it's DA's better. So keep getting better, you know, get better in the off season and come back and have continuity and keep improving.
Speaker 3: And that's you know, you know, that's the answer that question.
Speaker 2: Al Golden rattled off ten names there. Nine of the ten are sure to be back next year. The only possible exception would be Joseph Osai, who's in the final year of his deal. But the other guys are all still under contract. So we're talking about guys like Jordan Battle, Miles Murphy, Chris Jenkins, Shamar Stewart, Barrett Carter, DJ Turner, Dax Hill, and a few others. I'm not sure that there are a ton of stars on that list. Maybe DJ Turner deserves a mention. He could have very easily gone to the Pro Bowl this year, and he has a Pro Bowl alternate. Maybe if Miles Murphy keeps continuing, we'll feel that way about him. Shamar Stewart certainly has the potential to be a star down the road, but any good defense is built up mostly of solid guys and then you hope to sprinkle in a few stars. They could still use the stars, but at least it seems like they're developing and proving to have the solid guys.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and no NFL defense has a leven pro bowler. It's like that's a pipe tren. It's unrealistic, it's it's not capable of being accomplished. So yeah, DJ Turner in my mind, is a star. Can cover, can tackle, he can he can do everything that you need to have done. Plays the run very very effectively, gets off blocks and tackles people like I mentioned earlier, and he's got outstanding coverage abilities. But there's nothing wrong with having you know, a DJ Turner who's a Pro Bowl guy, two other two or three other guys that are above average, well above average. You know, everybody in the National Football League would love to have those guys playing for him, and then everybody else being solid, good football players, knowing what the heck is going on, understanding what Al Golden wants out of his defensive scheme, figuring out how you fit into that. UH, playing with solid fundamentals and UH and and the skill set is on the epswing, it's getting better. That's what Al Golden has. Al Golden has a bunch of solid defensive players that care, that want to be good, that want to do what Al Golden is trying to get done. They want to be part of that. They care about each other, they care about performing well for themselves and their family. It's just you know, they love the game of pro football, and that's what you're looking for. And if you're not happy with what you got, there's a couple of games left for these guys to maybe play better and maybe advance themselves in the eye of Al Golden and the assistant coaches. But if not you got the free agency in the twenty twenty five twenty six offseason, the twenty twenty six NFL Draft to get better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they'd better attack it with every research that they have. It's four to twelve on a Friday afternoon. The injury report is out, so let's get to the details. They are brought to you by the Kettering Health Injury Network. The Kettering Health Network ID say it is the Kettering Health Injury Report. Been reading that card all year and I'm still screwing it up for some reason. But here are the key details. First. For the Bengals, Joseph Osai is out this week. Charlie Jones remains out, so they'll be missing one of their best pass rushers, and their kick and punt returner Noah Fant is listed as questionable. So those are the biggest Cincinnati question marks going into the game. For the Cardinals, their multi time Pro Bowl safety Buddha Baker is out, a Cincinnati kid. They're starting left tackle Paris Johnson out of Princeton High School in Ohio state. He is out, so we won't get to see Paris Johnson play for the Cardinals this week. They're leading pass rusher Josh Schwett, who has eleven sacks this year, listed as questionable. Additionally, these guys are not on the injury report because they suffered season ending injuries last week. Walter Nolan a season ending knee injury, so he's out. Cornerback Garrett Williams a season ending torn achilles last week, so he's out. So we talked about this earlier with a reporter who covers the Cardinals for the Arizona newspaper. This is the most injury ravaged team in the league this year. By his estimation, ten of their best players will not take the field against the Bengals on Sunday.
Speaker 5: That's uh, that's a mind boggling number right there. There's only twenty two guys that are going to be taking the field offensively and defensively. And when you when you are told that ten of the best ones won't be going against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, that is that catches your attention, catches your attention big time. Uh. The Arizona Cardinals are fighting an uphill battle, There's no no doubt about it. I mean, they're they're going into football games with the next guy, next guy up. You know, it's it's that's always the battle cry. Next guy up. Hopefully the next guy up plays players well and you don't. You won't lose a whole lot by an injury to a to a starting player. But the reality is, starting player is a starting player for a reason. I mean, uh, he's he's time tested and uh, you know, over multiple snaps and multiple games, he's proven to be the best guy. So, uh, you can get labeled a starter for a reason.
Speaker 2: Well, Paris Johnson won't play for the Cardinals on Sunday. There are several players that have Cincinnati ties who will take the field for the Cardinals, including a King Davis Caather, a Bengal for the past several seasons, signed as a free agent with Arizona this past offseason, and he has been starting at linebacker after an injury they had early this year. He'll actually go into the game number two in tackles for the Cardinals this season. On the offense offensive side of the ball, they recently picked up former Roger Bacon and Universe of Cincinnati star Corey Kiner, not starting at running back, but likely to get several carries. He'll come in when Michael Carter goes out. Corey Kiner had six carries for thirty two yards last week, his first significant action in a Cardinals uniform. Arizona also has tight end Josiah Deguara, who played at the University of Cincinnati, and even before that, he was a high school teammate in Fulsome, California with Bengals backup quarterback Jake Browning. He was Jake Browning's favorite target going back to their high school days. We'll take a time out when we come back. It's today's episode of Fantastic Fun Facts. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Baar Chicken at ESPN fifteen thirty. You are listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bared Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhine eatery the Food Haull above the downtown Kroger Great Eats. Here there's also a full service bar. We see that our Bengals friends are getting after it at that full service bar. Now we appreciate that. Buck Kellen, tell it a fair child. We'll be joining us at five o'clock for the final hour of the show. If Santa did not bring you the Bengals item you are hoping for on your Christmas list, you can treat yourself to some great deals at the Bengals Pro Shop. You'll find the best selection of Bengals merchandise anywhere. You can visit the Pro Shops seven days a week, including before the game on Sunday. That's located on the north side of pickhor Stadium, or you can shop online anytime at Bengals dot com. Now it's time to get to know the person underneath the pads. We call it our weekly Fun Fact segment. It is presented by Skyline Chilling time for some fun facts with linebacker and special teams standout Joe Giles Harris. I know you played football in Montvale, New Jersey, which isn't too far from New York, York City. Where exactly did you live growing up?
Speaker 13: I lived in Night in New York growing up, so it's about a fifteen minute rode right outside of my right outside of New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Do you consider yourself a New York City guy? A Jersey guy? How would you label yourself just.
Speaker 4: In New York and not New York City, not New Jersey guy?
Speaker 13: I love everybody. I'm from New York. I love that about myself. I love the energy in New York. I love New York. I love everything that it provides and what it's about. So I tell everybody I'm from New York.
Speaker 4: Joe.
Speaker 2: What sports did you play growing up? And when did you know that football would ultimately be your path forward?
Speaker 13: So growing up, we played everything, and then when I got to the high school, played fotball, basketball, lacrosse. But for me, football was everything from an early age. My dad coached high school football from the time I was born, so I've been on a field in pamps and as long as I can remember, and it's the only thing I ever wanted to do. My mom jokes and will tell stories, so I told her that I wasn't going to college state classes. I was going there for chalk talk and film prep and things like that. That's what I was gonna do in college. So being able to be here now, it's a thing. But I pretty much knew football was my path.
Speaker 2: All You played college football at Duke, which means you were probably a very good student in high school. Was that important in your family?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 13: My mom and my grandmother were both teachers, so that was pushed on us big from the early from early on, and when it came to it, it's like, well why not Duke. You know, it's the best of both worlds. I got to play very competitive, powerful football and get one of the best educations in the country. So, I mean it was a win win for me.
Speaker 2: Coach k was the basketball coach throughout your tenure at Duke. Did you interact, Oh, I mean we saw him a couple of times.
Speaker 13: I wouldn't say I knew him personally, but there was a couple times he spoke to the football program and you know, going to the games and things like that, but it was it was definitely cool to see like a living legend in person, especially his last couple.
Speaker 4: Of years I was there. So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: While you were Duke, you were the three time winner of the Vincent Ray Award, which goes to the best linebacker at Duke. And Vinnie Ray, of course, is here in Cincinnati played for the Bengals. He is currently the team chaplain. Have you two hit it off now that you're here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 13: So it's funny, you know, being at Duke for the four years, that was the name I heard every day I heard Vinni Ray would do this, Vinie Ray would do that, Vinie Ray wouldn't have done this, or and it was back and forth, and I didn't actually meet Vinnie until this past year, this past spring at an event the NFL host over the summer, and I got to meet Vinni for the first time. And it was funny because I'm like, I know so much about you, but I don't know you. And since you know, he's he's been nothing but a blessing to me and my family. And between getting settled in sincey Bible studies, meeting with him one on one, you know, it's been really cool to, you know, build that relationship. And Vinnie's a New York guy who went to Duke, and I'm a New York guy I went to Duke, so it kind of just worked out hand in hand.
Speaker 2: We're visiting with Joe Giles Harris. You had a great career at Duke, team MVP, two time first Team All acc or a team captain there your final year, did you expect to get drafted and was it a big disappointment when you weren't.
Speaker 13: Oh, I think so, I think for me, you know, that's obviously for everybody. It's the ultimate goals to get drafted, and when it didn't happen, you know, it hurt a little bit. But I come from a competitive household and my brother plays professional lacrals and things like that, so there was no sulking in the moment. It was just all right, what are you gonna do to stay? What are you gonna do to you know, actually make it? Because you're not the first The first door is not open, so you got to walk to the second door. So for me, it was disappointing, but I think it also taught me a lot of things about myself. And it taught me that if I really wanted, I had to put in that much more work to get to where I'm at. And seven years later, I'm still here doing it. So uh, blessed for how it's gone, how it started.
Speaker 2: It was gonna up, but you know, figured it out because of the way NFL accounting works. The roster says you have two years of NFL experience, and it's always annoying to me because the truth is, this is your seventh NFL season, including time that you've spent on practice squads. It's a good living regardless of what your status is on the roster. What's been the key for you to remain an NFL player for seven years?
Speaker 4: For me, I think it's just been simple. You know, show up to work every day.
Speaker 3: Work.
Speaker 13: There's somebody coming in and take your spot every day. There's a hundred guys who are getting tryouts every day, and so what are you doing in that building to stand out on a consistent basis?
Speaker 4: So it's you know, I've.
Speaker 13: Built a routine being consistent and just being vocal and being a leader. And when you get your opportunity to make players make plays. That's the league about. The more plays you make, the longer you'll stay. The less plays you're make and I have to find something else to do.
Speaker 2: I introduced you off the top as a linebacker and special teams stand out right now. Pro Football Focus has you graded number eleven among all special teams players in the NFL so far this year. You've had several tackles and kick coverage in recent weeks. How much of special team's success is all out effort and how much is knowledge and technique?
Speaker 13: Well, I think you know it's a combination of both, but shout out, you know, Coach Daron coach Ben and you know, the guys in the unit. You know, I'm just the guy who's been lucky enough to have a couple of tackles these past few games. But it comes down to film study and just working hard. And you know, I think for a lot of you know, early on, you can kind of look at special teams as that I don't want to play special teams. I want to be a defensive I want to be off.
Speaker 3: With the guy.
Speaker 13: But it's just as important. It's it's just as fun and you know, guy's carve out roles doing that. So for me, like I told you, just being consistent and doing what I have to do to stay in a building and you know, getting the opportunity to play there and it's been nothing but good to me and kind of opened my eyes a little more, specially in the world. And I just thank my film setting things for being able to be in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 2: Maybe in a perfect world, you get drafted by a team, you spend a decade with that team, and that's your NFL career.
Speaker 4: That's not been the path for you.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, you've probably made hundreds of friends and the different teams you've been with, You've seen how it works in different places, you've lived in different cities.
Speaker 4: Have you enjoyed that part of your career.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I don't think any of this for granted.
Speaker 13: I've made nothing but great relationships, and you know, just the people I've met along the way have been amazing, and that you know, there's people you met along the way who aren't amazing. But it's just part of the process. But I'd say the overall knowledge of game, just from the business side of it, how the NFL works, you know what locker rooms are like and things like that. I think it's kind of really helped me, you know, stay focused and stay grounded and things like that, and to really like it's been nothing but a blessing.
Speaker 4: Like I've loved this process.
Speaker 13: It's been hard. There's been days where I'm like, this is not it. This is the worst thing in the world, but it's you know, everything's turned the corner for me and I'm grateful for it. I came to this lead with no kids. I have two kids now, two beautiful kids who have now part of this process. My wife's part of the process. So it's been good for us. It's given us a different perspective, got to live in different areas of the country, which is cool, you know, being from New York, I only wanted to live in New York, so it was good I was able to branch out and do things like that. But it's been a blessing and I cherished every every place I've been at has been good for me and my family, and I'm just forever grateful.
Speaker 2: All right, a few wild card topics now for Joe Giles Harris. Since you mentioned having two kids, son, daughter, one of each, and what's your favorite thing about being a dad.
Speaker 4: My son is two years old and my daughter's one years old, and Breeze and.
Speaker 13: Uh, I think my favorite part of being the dad is coming home and hearing what they had to say about their day, and you know.
Speaker 3: What they did or what I did.
Speaker 13: And my son's at the age where he understands things now and wants to play football. So I get home and Dad, you didn't make a tackle the day, and I'm like, yeah, I know, I didn't make a tackle, Bunny.
Speaker 3: I'm trying.
Speaker 13: So just that part, but it's just coming home and you know, seeing there's something more important than whatever you got going on that day. So I love to My daughter runs to me every time I come to the house, whether it's because she was being bad that day or she just wants to see me. It is, you know, to be determined, but just seeing their face, seeing their smiles, and remember there's you know, there's people counting on me to be more than a football player, and I think that's the best part about it.
Speaker 2: You have a hyphenated last name, Giles Harris. Was that always the case or did you make that choice?
Speaker 4: That's been always the case.
Speaker 13: My mom and my dad neither want wanted to get up their last name, and it sounds great and it's original and when you see it, you know who I am. So the only people who have that last name are people blood related to me. So I think I think it's a blessing. It helps me stand out and it's unique.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate you referenced your brother JT. Earlier, a professional lacrosse player for the Denver Outlaws. He is a three time All Star in the Premier Lacrosse League. Tell us a little bit about his career.
Speaker 13: Oh, well, my brother has been, you know, the best player at lacrosse in my opinion, and I know that probably doesn't care well because I live in the house. But he's been the best lacrosse player I've seen in a long time. He plays defense, you know, he played defense playing growing up, playing football and things like that, so kind of translated. But he's had, you know, a heck of probably a better career than I have had, to be honest. He you know, was a Defensive Player of the Year in college All American most of his time in college. I think he won Defensive Player of the Year already in the PLL. So he's just a study, handles his business. He approaches every day coming similar that I do, you know, just attack the day mentality, and he's he's just a competitor, like there's a fire in him and it burns and he's gonna get his job none.
Speaker 4: No matter what.
Speaker 2: Out there than football, What are you good at?
Speaker 4: Depends?
Speaker 13: Yes, I think I'm a pretty good basketball player of myself. Basketball, you know, and I like to just hang out. I'm a big I love to watch movies and do things like that. I love history, so I like to watch you know, the trivia stuff and like things like that and test my brain. But those are pretty much small things. I'm gonna all right.
Speaker 2: Final fun fact for Joe Giles Harris. This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anyone in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 13: I say, right now, off the top of my head, probably Barack Obama, And I would just you know, just want to pick his brain about you know, he was the first black president of the United States, and you know, things he went through growing up and the things he went through as our president. So just to kind of pick his brain and see where he's at, you know, because it takes a strong person to you know, lead this country, and especially when you're the first of you know, a group to do that. So just pick his brain and you know, just get to know him. I think that would be probably the person I want to meet the most.
Speaker 4: This has been great. Appreciate your time. Best of like the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: The very articulate Joe Giles Harris again a guy doing a terrific job as a special team's ace this year.
Speaker 5: He really has been, and when you listen to him, you have to be impressed with his overall intelligence. I mean, this guy is got an IQ now not just football like you. He does have a great football like you. The coaches say that he's Menza from a football IQ standpoint, But man, he knows a lot about a lot of things, and he is well read. He's the kind of guy that the Bengals like to have on the roster. Just a good human being, a good person. And Zach puts a big emphasis on that. And the coaches do you know, they want guys that are going to be part of the part of the reason for the success, not somebody. They don't want anybody to infiltrate and tear it down. So I think they're ahead in the right direction, and I think they're going to get there faster than people think.
Speaker 2: All right, well take a time out. When we come back, we'll hear from t Higgins, who bounced back from concussion protocol with a big performance last week for the Bengals in their win in Miami. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show, presented each week by Just Bear Chicken, live from the on the Rhine Eatery the food Haul above the downtown Kroger here on ESPN fifteen thirty first and goal from the nine for Cincinnati Burrow in the gun back at the fourteen Chase Brown off his right hip. Burrow catches the shot gun snap, looking right, throws into the end zone for Higgins. He's done it. Touchdown Bengals.
Speaker 14: T Higgins, with a great adjustment to the ball, then drops to his knees and praise to a higher power after making a great catch on that throw from Joe Burrow.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable play by T.
Speaker 6: Higgins.
Speaker 5: He showed everything. He showed his size, he showed his athleticism, he showed his soft hand.
Speaker 2: Dan Horden, Dave Lapp him back in the Bengals pep rally show present by Just the Bare Chick, and we can understand why T. Higgins dropped to his knees and pointed toward the heavens after that touchdown catch. Last week in Miami, he suffered a concussion in the New England game, missed the following game against Baltimore. In the Buffalo game the week after that, his head banged down on that frozen turf in Buffalo several times, and while he was not diagnosed with a concussion during the game, he had some symptoms in the following days. Missed the next game after that, also against Baltimore, So this past week, after going through concussion protocol, I thought the Bengals did a great thing for t Higgins. They flew him to Pittsburgh to see one of the world's foremost authorities on concussions, made sure that he was a peace of mind to come back from such a serious injury. This concussion renowned specialist signed off and assured Tea that he was fine and was going to be fine to play. So he took the field against Miami. He played great. It was awesome to see. Here's what he had to say about it after the game.
Speaker 5: You know, the bring injury.
Speaker 15: There's nothing that's nothing to play with as serious, and it confects you in a long time, you know. I mean, so I see every everything everybody's saying it. I should say, I see all that, but I want to see a specialist, and especially said it was okay for me to, you know, go back out there and play my game.
Speaker 5: And that's what I think.
Speaker 2: That's what I did. He was limited in practice by and large last week as he came through concussion protocol. Then it was on Thursday morning that he flew to Pittsburgh first thing in the morning, saw this specialist. They didn't even know if he was going to be back at practice. He was back in the building practicing that day.
Speaker 5: It's a great thing that the Bengals organization did for a player.
Speaker 3: I mean, it really is.
Speaker 5: Concussions are no joke. I mean, the Players Association is always doing everything they possibly can to make sure the concussion protocols are first rate, they're.
Speaker 4: Up to speed.
Speaker 5: Concussions are the big fear of the Union, the Players Association, because if a player suffers too many of them, it can be a bad life after football, and you know, tragedy you don't even want to think about after football. So the fact that the Bengals feel that way about t Higgins, that look, you're a priority. We want to make sure that you feel good about going out there and playing football. We don't want you to be unsure we didn't. We don't want you to think, oh, the Bengals organizations forcing me out there, you know, against my will. So I think that it's it's good for the Bengals, it's good for the National Football League, it's good for the Players Association. I think the Bengals got a really good example this past week.
Speaker 2: T Higgins has never played in a Pro Bowl, but he is a first alternate this year. Jamaar Chase, of course is five for five and going to the Pro Bowl, but he is a first alternate. So if one of the wide receivers picked goes to the Super Bowl or comes down with an injury, t would be the next man up. And it would be awesome to see both Bengals wide receivers participate in the Pro Bowl games this year.
Speaker 5: It really would. I mean, that's a what a compliment, what a compliment to the Bengals organization, the head coach Zac Taylor to the receiver coach Troy Walters. I mean, when you've got two, not just one, you've got two from your position group, and then you know you don't suit out a gazillion wide receivers every game. So when you've got two that are playing at that high a level, that's a reflection, a positive reflection on everybody involved, the coaches, the players, the organization. It's a win for everybody.
Speaker 2: The three wide receivers other than Jamar Chase who are named to the AFC Pro Bowl roster or Nicocollins from Houston, Zay Flowers from Baltimore, Courtland Sutton from Denver. Denver could certainly go into the go to the Super Bowl. They'll be one of the favorites in the postseason. Houston's been playing extremely well of late. Wouldn't rule it out. Baltimore seems like a long shot. But you know, maybe one of those guys will not be able to make it to the Pro Bowl games and T will get that opportunity. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then, and T he deserves it.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's no question that he has played this season like a Pro Bowler, you know, in every sense of the word.
Speaker 3: And I think T.
Speaker 5: Higgins is all about his football team. It's not about him. It's not about individual glory, it's not about individual awards. T Higgins is all about winning Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: All Right, We're gonna take a time out when we come back, we will stick with the Pro Bowl as our theme and talk about the Bengals player who really can be described as a Pro Bowl snub this year. You're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken live from the on the Rhine Eatery on ESPN fifteen thirty Lapping the bald Man back on the Bengals pep Rally show presented by Just Fair Chicken, live from the on the Ryan Eatery, the food haul above the downtown Kroger intersection of Court and Walnut. We're here until six o'clock tonight and come up in about fifteen minutes or so. Will be joined by starting left guard Dylan Fairchild, who will spend the final hour of the show with us. He's at the on the Ryane Eatery. We're talking about the Pro Bowl. A few minutes ago. Jamar Chase has been selected for the fifth time in five years to begin his NFL career. AJ Green is the only other player in franchise history that went five for five to begin his career. The Bengals also have some alternates. We mentioned the T Higgins is a first alternate, so if one guy's out, he would be in. Charlie Jones is a fifth alternate as a kick returner, so it's probably unlikely that he will move up that far to get into the game.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Then you have DJ Turner. He is a third alternate, so a couple of guys would have to miss for Dj to get in. We've been talking about him as a deserving candidate for several weeks tied for the NFL lead and passes defense. He has been covering the other team's number one receiver and those guys typically have not had big games against Cincinnati. Here's Joe Burrow making the case for his teammate DJ Turner.
Speaker 3: I thought j should have been the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 11: But you know, I told him the other day. Usually the first year that you should make it, you're typically an ultimate, and then if you stack that year, they usually give it to you the next year. That's happened to me in a couple kind of see that across the league a little bit.
Speaker 2: So that is often how it works. You don't get in the first time you're an alternate. Your name starts to get out there as a quote unquote Pro bowler, and then you make it, and maybe you keep making it past the point right where you deserve to make it. Denzel Ward, at least statistically, is not having a good year for clevelandy Football Focus grades. But he's going and certainly for much of his career he's been tremendous, but maybe this year he is not one of the top corners in the AFC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, agreed, Dan, you know, and I think the thing about paternat. To keep in mind is he's been put he's the number one guy, he's their shutdown guy. He's been on the other team's best weapon, the best receiver. So he's had a lot of activity, you know, and he and he's stepped up. He's had an opportunity to defend a lot of passes. But a lot of guys have a lot of opportunity, they don't do it. He rose to the occasion and he defended a lot of passes. He had a lot of passes broken up, a lot of passes knocked down. That that's valuable. I mean, that's that's discouraging to a quarterback when jeez, this guy, I mean he is sticky out there. I might have to stay away from him. That is about as big a contribution as you can make as anything. It's like you take away that that weapon from the from the quarterback. It's like she's I'm gonna have to wait for another day to get the ball to my number one guy. So and so it's not happening to say because this DJ Turner is everything we thought he was when we were watching tape. This guy's the real deal. This guy's a Pro Bowl caliber player that is invaluable to take away the other team's number one receiving weapon.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the twenty twenty three draft. That's looking better and better all the time for Cincinnati. Miles Murphy in round one, that one was, you know, looking like a potential bust and now not meymore. He's really emerged as a solid, if not spectacular player defensive end. DJ Turner looks like he might be a star. Jordan Battle has really been playing well in recent weeks. Chase Brown has been excellent now for a couple of years. Andre Yosi Vash has certainly productive player for a sixth round pick. Dj Ivy is good as a cover the tight end specialist. So that draft, pretty much top to bottom, is panning out well for Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: And at the end of this.
Speaker 2: Season, now that those guys have three years in the league, the Bengals are allowed to begin extending those players if they can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and uh Duke Tobin and his scouts and the organization take a bow. I mean that that was a solid draft. There's no question you drafted a Pro Bowl caliber player and DJ Turner, and you got a lot of guys that form an extraordinary supporting cast. I mean, these guys, like we talked about earlier, You're not gonna have eleven Pro Bowlers on your offensive a defensive football team. That's that's pipe tream, that's a that's impossible, that's an unrealistic goal or accomplishment. But if you can have, you know, two or three guys that are when you get them on the football field, well better than I thought they were. I mean, we unearthed some some diamonds in the rough here and they can they can really get it done. They can play football. If you every other round, if you get a solid player, you're gonna have a good football team. If you do that two or three drafts in a row, you're gonna be really good. You're gonna be a playoff caliber team. You're gonna be a playoff caliber team for more than one season.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna take a time out. When we come back, we'll talk about one of the most remarkable players that will come to town with the Arizona Cardinals. This Sunday, you're listening to the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Telling Fairchild will join us shortly. On ESPN fifteen thirty, we are back on the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, live from the on the Rhine Eatery, the food hull above the downtown Kroger. It's a Friday afternoon. If you had to work today, the day after Christmas, well, the workday is almost finished. Come out and join us at a full service bar, plenty of inexpensive eateries. We think the best dry rubbed chicken wings in down. We've had more than I share during the course of this year. We're here until six o'clock tonight. Dylan Fairchild, the Bengals rookie offensive lineman, will be joining us shortly. The Arizona Cardinals a struggling team coming to town on Sunday. They've dropped twelve out of their last thirteen. They've got a seven game losing streak coming into the game. But they've got one guy, now more than one, but one in particular that I have a tremendous amount of respect for, and that is thirty nine year old defensive tackle Kalais Campbell. You generally don't last that long at that position. But this guy is highly unusual. He's six' eight playing defensive, tackle three hundred and fifteen, pounds one of the all TIME nfl leaders in blocked. Kicks he's got ten block field goals in his, career blocked an extra point last, week blocked a field goal the week, before been to The Pro bowl six. Times still playing well at his. Age Pro Football focus as him grated as the twenty eighth asked interior defensive lineman in THE nfl this. Year let's hear from offensive Coordinator Dan pitcher on the challenge of trying to Block Kalais.
Speaker 7: Campbell he's a mountain of a, Man BUT i mean to play a, position a physically taxing position like defensive tackle the way he has for as long as he's played, it and just somebody who's, rarely rarely gifted. Physically and Then i've never had the chance to really meet him or interact with, him But i've talked to a lot of people who have players who have been on teams with, him and you, know you kind of view him from the outside and he just looks, like you, know just a really high character guy with obviously tremendous work ethic and competitiveness to still be doing it at the World he's doing.
Speaker 2: It so that'll be a.
Speaker 3: Challenge.
Speaker 2: Lap one of the players from your draft Was Ed Too Tall. Jones he was the first pick in your. Draft Kalas campbell's kind of a modern version Of Ed Too Tall.
Speaker 5: JONES i think that's a comparison Because Too tall was six,' eight Just Like klayis CAMPBELL and i played against him in some of The College all. Star games actually he was a teammate In The East West, shrine game and then we were on opposite teams In The. Senior bowl, and man just blocking, the guy it was like trying to block, an octopus.
Speaker 3: YOU know i mean he was.
Speaker 5: SO long i mean it was. Like cheez this guy is what's his sleeve must be like thirty nine inches and his en scene must be. THIRTY eight, i mean, long arms, long, legs strong, you know could. Leverage you and That's What clays campbell reminds. Me of that type. Of Guy too tall played end. And tackle campbell's pretty much a. Defensive tackle and we're joined Now By. Dylan fairchild. Perfect timing what about playing against, this, DUDE man, i mean what does he look like on tape.
Speaker 3: Right right on par with him what. He is he's, a big.
Speaker 16: Long dude he's been doing it for a. Long time, yeah no you guys are doing a. Great job he's like walking off.
Speaker 3: To us so.
Speaker 2: All RIGHT so i am up on the stage now here at the On The rhine eatery with the starting left guard On the Bengals First super bowl team and the guy who's going to be the starting left guard On the. BENGALS next i love It super. Bowl team hopefully sometime in the next year, or two please welcome our special guest for the final hour of our, show Today rookie Dylan.
Speaker 3: Fair. Child, nice, yeah man that'd. Be.
Speaker 5: Great love i'd love to welcome you to the Fraternity Of. Super bowl we didn't win the, damn thing so hopefully when you go, next year you guys bring. The trophy absolutely It'll be the parade will. Be ridiculous the parade will be off the off the, hook man The city cincinnati will.
Speaker 3: GO nuts, I know i'm excited. For it it's. GONNA happen i hear what's going.
Speaker 2: TO happen i love doing this show when we have players, join us regardless. Of Position but it's especially fun for me when we have offensive linemen because with, lap here the fraternity of offensive lineman is unlike. Anything else there's just, you know from having gone through it as he did for twelve years as a pro and now you are doing it as. A rookie there's a language, you speak there's a respect that's automatically there for guys to do what you do in.
Speaker 5: The, trenches, absolutely, Absolutely YEAH and i will say the respect. IS huge i think that that's the that's the one thing that's fraternity is a good way to. Describe IT but i know the sacrifices you have. To, MAKE man i know what you what you're going through at this stage of.
Speaker 3: The season.
Speaker 5: It's tough it's, a, grind man it's a it's a. Daily GRIND and, i know uh, you know mentally, and physical it's a. Daily GRIND so i respect what. YOU'VE done i respect what you've done as a. COLLEGIATE player I mean sec best in, college football, That's, Right georgia georgia best IN.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 5: SEC see i mean you've already achieved an extremely high level and there's gonna be.
Speaker 3: A lot more for you here IN.
Speaker 16: The nfl, THANK you i absolutely feel the same way, about you, YOU know i mean, you guys you guys are went through it back in those days where it was a lot different, Than now so.
Speaker 3: That's true it.
Speaker 5: WAS that, I mean i've played was fortunate enough to play against right NEXT to i, should say a guy by the Name Of anthony munyah and you, know absolutely and so he's he's. Come in uh he's good Friends With scott peters And Worked scott peters out. And EVERYTHING and i know he's, Had you anthony come in and talk to you guys and show you guys some stuff after practice.
Speaker 3: And everything and he was he was the.
Speaker 5: Best man he's The best i've.
Speaker 3: Ever seen he.
Speaker 5: Still is, you know he's In the Hall, of fame First ballot Hall.
Speaker 3: Of famer.
Speaker 5: Great, human being great person, as well who's got a, great family great wife. And children it's it's. All good he's very very high, on you by, the way very excited than much what you bring TO.
Speaker 3: The, la hello.
Speaker 2: Thank you, all right we're going to take a. Time out We've Got dylan fairchild with us for the. Next hour we are live at the On the, rhine eatery the food hall above The downtown kroger the Intersection of Court. And walnut this Is the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just baared CHICKEN on espn. Fifteen, thirty well.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals pep rally Presented By Just bared chicken On The Bengals. Radio Network paycore paycor is proud to be THE official hr software provider Of The. Cincinnati Bengals, Kettering Health best care For The. Best Fans, Kettering health official healthcare provider Of The. Cincinnati bengals THIS is espn, fifteen thirty the official home Of The. Cincinnati bengals it Is a friday afternoon In The.
Speaker 2: Queen city this Is the Bengals Pep, rally show Presented By Just, bared chicken live from the On The, rhyine eatery the food hall above The. Downtown kroger we are here until six, o'clock tonight getting you Set for sunday's game at payc stating Between the bengals And The. Arizona cardinals we have a very special guest joining us in the final hour of, The show Bengals Rookie, dylan fairchild who has been starting from day One At. Left guard your rookie year is winding down Now. At georgia you played into this time of year. And beyond but how are you doing physically as year one comes to. An end it's.
Speaker 3: Been good it's.
Speaker 16: Been good we've had some, you know the, yearly struggles, you know just with some. SMALL things I think i missed two games, so far, you know knock, on wood. No more, but no it's been, really good. YOU know i mean it's been a blessing to to just keep going just late in, the season. You know, so yeah it's been.
Speaker 5: REALLY good i know we've Talked About, scott fairchild, Excuse Me scott Peters Your greg fairchild's offensive. Line coach first year with. The team just, Like you i'm impressed. WITH him i think he's, got, solid sound, fun mentals techniques that, he's TEACHING and I think i, think, that uh, you know he's he's putting you in, a good, good situation Good good he's given you tools for the toolbox to go out and. Perform well how have a couple of Veteran Guys ted carriss at the, Center Position orlando brown and left tackle on either side, of you how have they helped you get through your rookie year and and.
Speaker 16: Uh, you know learn and growth man. Tremendous ways both of. Those Guys lucas patrick is. Another one dalton coming in has. Been, huge yeah it's been huge from all of them really just across. The board ted has done a great job of being like just the leader of.
Speaker 7: The unit.
Speaker 16: You know orlando is another leader of a, unit Too but ted has just done a great job just being vocal at least, with me just teaching me, the ropes like showing me the ropes of just the ins and outs of being. A player just the discipline that. It takes Right in, orlando again like just to go with that as like the confidence, YOU know i mean obviously he plays. Left tackle you got to be confident to. Do that and he does a great job of just showing me in and out each week in, and out, be confident, you know and everything that. You do so just having both those guys And then lucas again with like the just the veteran tips and tricks of the trade that you don't you know sometimes you, Don't know yeah you're playing in. Snow games i'm Again, from georgia from, the south like not used to that and they're really they're they've done a great job of just like taking me under. Their, wing really all all four of those GUYS that i named or have done a. Great job so So it's.
Speaker 2: Christmas week it's become customary IN the nfl for quarterbacks To get christmas gifts for their. Offensive lineman your Quarterback is joe burrow who goes above and beyond at least when it comes to finding. Something, unique absolutely last year he gifted the offensive lineman. SAMURAI swords i didn't know how he is going to top that, this YEAR and i guess. He has he got you, guys.
Speaker 3: Fossils, sir yeah they were pretty. Awesome too what is?
Speaker 2: Your fossil because, they're unique they're not all, The.
Speaker 3: Same no. THEY'RE not i got A t rex tooth really. Tooth, fossil yes it's honestly one of the Coolest things I've ever that's probably the Coolest thing i've ever had. POSSESSION of, i.
Speaker 2: Mean talk about a conversation piece when people visit. Your house what? Is that that is A t rex tooth gifted to Me by Joe.
Speaker 16: Burrow man it was A t rex tooth and then ANOTHER three d printed REPLICA of i believe the most put together t, rex fossil the most put together skull of a t rex that, they have and obviously the real thing is like probably two hundred. Plus pounds so you sized, it down, gave it, you know, got it, you know to take. HOME size i, got that this tooth and then another claw of another dinosaur.
Speaker 3: That Lived In north africa approximately sixty million. Years.
Speaker 2: Ago, amazing yeah unique to say, the least.
Speaker 5: NO doubt i just wonder what what?
Speaker 2: IS there.
Speaker 5: I just wonder what it's the thought Process when Joe decides i'm gonna give fossils and dinosaur teeth and all that sort of thing to my. Offensive linemen what what do you think he's thinking when.
Speaker 2: Man and he.
Speaker 16: GIVES that i think he, loves THEM and i can see why they're, really cool like again the really cool. Conversation, starters yeah, NUMBER one i just think they're. Really cool, you know there's not a lot of people in the world that can put their hands on so walk in the streets with those, those things, you know and, so.
Speaker 3: Him, you know giving us a unique opportunity to own one of those has been. Really, Cool actually so, You.
Speaker 2: Know joe was featured On that netflix quarterback series during the, off season and on one of, the episodes he discussed his interest. In fossils so it's something that he's always had an interest in and and now he's sharing that with.
Speaker 4: His.
Speaker 3: Guys, yeah no it's really.
Speaker 16: Cool too, you know it's he went above and beyond with just the way that he did it and the way that, you know it was all.
Speaker 2: Put together so you're a married man AS an, nfl rookie what was your wife's reaction when you called or came home, and said, guess, what honey we have. A fossil we HAVE a. Tx fossil she.
Speaker 16: WAS excited i mean SHE'S obviously i probably found it cooler than, she did, but no she's she's all. FOR it, i mean we're gonna get a nice display case and put him up in. Our, house, so so what was the reaction of your teammates when you guys got the fossils and, they didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh last stirring. IT up.
Speaker 5: I think they just they. Were, STUNNED yeah i bet THAT'S what i was my. First reaction dan. Mentioned, it, so man that's that's. Just, stunning man THAT'S just, i mean how would you come up, With that how would you think about that and put?
Speaker 2: That together What Did kenny anderson give you back in the day left there were? Some, beer yeah Cases, of.
Speaker 5: Yeah he had a distributorship and uh yeah he would he would load. EVERYBODY down I think I think kenny consumed his first beer when he was like eight. YEARS old i mean he he was a beer drinking guy MAN The. Tv illinois uh Went To, tiny augustana gets drafted By The cincinnati bengals in the, third round, and yeah he's.
Speaker 2: Drank a lot of beer while you guys are, rooming together.
Speaker 3: NO doubt i was just.
Speaker 5: Road for nine YEARS and i can't count the number of beer cans that were thrown away and or consumed and crushed.
Speaker 3: Or whatever.
Speaker 2: So you two guys were involved in a offensive lineman dinner fairly RECENTLY where i hate to use the term old TIMERS lap i, apologize right definite offensive lineman from before dined with the current offensive. LINE group i think that's such a cool tradition that started. Last year Anthony bo Lunos And ted carriss kind of got the, ball Rolling and i'm sure that's something that's going to continue for years.
Speaker 16: To come do you guys enjoy, That, Absolutely, YEAH no. I was the food, was great, you know. Number one BUT something i noted was you guys played for. So, LONG man i mean some of these guys are, sixteen thirteen, you know. Twelve years, i'm, like man these.
Speaker 3: Guys tough.
Speaker 16: You know that was my biggest, takeaway, was man these guys. Are TOUGH so i mean playing for twelve plus years.
Speaker 5: IS yeah, I mean i really tip of the Cap To anthony Munos And anthony, Winhos Foundation ted karrafs and. HIS foundation, i mean they're they're they're kind of like the. Impetus there they spearheaded. The THING and i think, it's great and, You know. I'm fortunate And then i'm down there every DAY and i get to know, you guys meet. You guys but it was so cool to see you guys Like With, Max Montoya, Brian blado's pruschwheimer's all these guys that don't get a chance to meet you. Like that and uh and really we're very very thankful and appreciate the opportunity to meet.
Speaker 16: You guys so Are we absolutely so we felt the. Same way so me and you guys, meeting legends so absolutely.
Speaker 2: TELL and i want to tell you something about this guy that you might. Not know lapp was playing WHEN the usfl came. Into existence it was kind of the first spring professional. Football league and in his final year With, the bengals he went directly from playing A full, nfl season taking like two weeks off and STARTING the. Usfl season so it was how many? Games laft like thirty two games in? One, year yeah.
Speaker 5: We played we Played sixteen cincinnati In twenty we got all the way to the championship game IN The.
Speaker 2: Usa Professional football games in one YEAR.
Speaker 5: And i was thirty two. Years old.
Speaker 16: THAT'S insane, i mean that's a different level of just mental physical toughness that.
Speaker 3: You know guys today in. TODAY'S world i don't know if they could.
Speaker 5: Do it My wife lynna's here in the in the audience today for, the show and, SHE remembers i couldn't put my hands up on my head and put my. HANDS together i.
Speaker 3: Couldn't touch it, WAS like i, BELIEVE you i mean that.
Speaker 16: Sounds, crazy yeah it was thirty games. Is, outrageous yep you live to tell.
Speaker 4: The tale.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 2: He does, all right we're gonna take a time out when we come back we will hear from offensive Line Coach scott peters on our, Special Guest. Dylan fairchild this Is the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just baared CHICKEN on espn. Fifteen Thirty, Coming back welcome back To the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just. Bear chicken, we're alive but the On The, ryan eatery the food hall above The. Downtown kroger we appreciate All the bengals fans who are with us here today as we get you Set for sunday's Game between cincinnati And The arizona cardinals one o'clock kickoff At Pay, Course stadium everage On The Bengals. Radio network we'll start at eleven thirty in the Morning. On sunday our special guest for the final hour of our show today Is the bengals starting Left Guard, dylan fairchild a rookie out Of the University of georgia selected in the third round of the draft. This year let's hear from authentsive Line Coach scott peters On the bengals Selection Of. Dylan fairchild we did obviously did a lot of work in the draft looking at, you know every guard that was conceivably available for, the draft and one thing that really stood Out with dylan is is his just, his size, athletic ability in his, Play strength he's he's one of the Strongest people i've ever tied, up with, very strong he's a. Great kid, he's humble, you know.
Speaker 17: He works, Very hard he's, extremely TOUGH and, i think, you know all that stuff for, this dimensions this, physical nature the way he plays, extremely hard those are the things, that we, you know really stood out. To me, YOU know i think he can set a firm anchor. In there he's got the tools to, play long which is something we emphasize as.
Speaker 4: In protection he's got good.
Speaker 17: Feet, to MOVE and, i, think uh, you know he's got all the tools you're looking for in, a player especially, a guard. You KNOW so i think for, for us it was a no brainer at that point, In, time uh just To take DYLAN because, i think, you KNOW like, i said he has all the trades so that you're looking for in an.
Speaker 4: Elite guard so We.
Speaker 2: Heard scott, peters say one of the Strongest guys i've ever tied. Up with he Is a brazilian jiu jitsu world champion still looks like he. Could lay he's. Incredibly fit what was that like in the pre? Draft process how did he tie up?
Speaker 16: With?
Speaker 2: You what what exactly happened when he?
Speaker 3: Came There he Uh.
Speaker 16: To georgia obviously we, Did proda, we did, you know all. THE stuff i had like a slight tweak in, my CALF so i didn't run. Or ANYTHING so i just DID like o line drills. And stuff and, he uh basically like collar tied me and just tested my anchor in that way where he could push pull me in a way where he's testing, my neck my, back strength. My EGS how i use, you know your hips to kind of pop back and, anchor down, YOU know I mean i thought the same thing.
Speaker 3: To, HIM man i, was, like man this guy get, played today so you know, he's yeah he's he's a he's a. Man's man so doubt.
Speaker 5: That's a good great description, of HIM because, I mean i mean for him to SAY when i tied up, With him i'm, thinking this this. Dude's strong one of the Strongest people I've ever i've ever, Worked With like dan, WAS saying i mean these ju jujitsu heavyweight wrestling, wrestling champions no.
Speaker 3: Joke, man, no yeah. He's.
Speaker 5: Not yeah and for him, to say you know that you were of, that caliber you know you, you were you were somebody that, tested him that that that, speaks volumes, AND uh, I like i agree. WITH him i think you're going to be around.
Speaker 3: This league for a. Long, time well. THANK you i HOPE so i PRAY that i do.
Speaker 2: So absolutely there's a very famous Story in bengals history When the bengals were about To draft Anthony. Munio is he been injured quite a bit during his CAREER, at Usc So forrest gregg was the head coach at. The time he wanted to go out and you Don't Like scott peters, was saying get his hands. On him so he did a little bit of a kind of a pass blocking Drill and anthony muny has knocked him on. His, Butt Yeah And forest greig, was like, ALL right i got. My guy could you sense a little bit of that of That with scott that when you tied up with him and showed your strength that maybe he, Was, LIKE okay i kind of Like what i'm, Seeing here.
Speaker 3: I'd.
Speaker 16: HOPE so, I mean I honestly i had, no idea, YOU know i was just going through doing the drost of the best of, my ability and, you know again like try to have be a goldfish and forget, you know if you've made a mistake, or not, you know if you did good.
Speaker 3: Or not, YOU know i just continue to move forward and just hope for.
Speaker 16: The best at, that point the draft is not in a player's hands. At, all yeah was his. Hands off that's the scary part. Of it it's like your future is out of your.
Speaker 3: Control.
Speaker 5: Totally right Anthony Had hudson HAWKE at usc who was Like a jim McNally of college football for, offensive lineman very very uh revolutionary with his techniques and fundamentals and all that sort. Of thing So, when anthony, You Know jimmy nowley went out there And, WORKED anthony i, was, like jeez, you know we've got to bring. HIM in i got to bring him in for for, you know pro day before the draft And Have forrest gregg get his hands on. Him too And So jim, jimmy's like, you know take, Your sets anthony like you did AT uh usc for me and put a jam, on coach, you. Know unforced that's where he knocked. Him for he knocked him on his back And Then forrest forrest was a world champion With The Green. BAY packers i mean Just when barney said the toughest football player he ever had had on the privilege. Of Coaching so forrest, is like, all right well let's do. This Again so anthony knocked him out, his back so, you know it's then on. HIS knees i mean it was Like, He uh anthony was such a dominant physical presence coming OUT of usc man six three hundred and five and ten pounds and just very, very smooth cat quick, you know change the.
Speaker 16: Direction, stuff yeah you can, Tell too like when you watch, his film, you know like he was just, absolutely physical, dominant player, you know physically just.
Speaker 3: Just, very gifted could. Do, ANYTHING yeah i mean his hands.
Speaker 5: Are big they, are man big old muckers on him does and have you seen. His, dislocation yeah they're going the wrong way and they're never. Coming back, it's, like. UH unbelievable. I know, i mean he can he can hit your ride going, multiple directions, you know you know it's like oh that and and he can the thing just kind of hangs A dislocation i Look, at yeah it's just like every. Everything's normal except for.
Speaker 3: That one that.
Speaker 5: Third finger the way, it's going it's got a mind of.
Speaker 2: Its own did you watch tape of? Him here have you done that? This year just watching?
Speaker 3: Previously highlights?
Speaker 12: And?
Speaker 2: Yeah right so you have a tremendous wrestling background from your high, school days undefeated state champ your last couple.
Speaker 3: Of years.
Speaker 2: We we joked about this in an interview earlier. THIS year i, asked you what's the fastest pin you've? Ever had and you kind of chuckled because one guy more or less. Gave up he didn't even want to scrap. With you, He's like i'll, lay down, Go ahead but how does that wrestling background and that experience help?
Speaker 17: You?
Speaker 3: Out man in so? MANY ways i think the FIRST thing i got to talk about is just like the mental side.
Speaker 16: Of it wrestling is a. Hard sport it's a. Gritty sport and football, is too, you know especially IN. The nfl it's a, long SEASON and i find myself many times just going back and thinking about like my, days wrestling, you know like how many SUNDAYS did i not want to go to practice or, you know do the hard things that you got? To do how many times do you want to drink water when. You can't so again like just going back to those those days and mentally it's just been it's been really good, for me. YOU know i think that is probably the number one thing that it does for a human is just make you, mentally tough makes you resilient to. Just life, you know life is life is random and. It's hard so it's it definitely taught me a lot of lessons in. That regard and another thing is, just leverage, you know using your, your hips your, your shoulders, your hands like understanding the feel of, you know the balance it takes to just be an you know lap can attest to like it's you got to, be balanced especially in. Pass pro, you know you can't run blocking to you can't get to, head heavy, you know pass per you can't get to head heavy and you're battling in the trenches with these big, giant freaks, you know so you've got to be able to use, your leverage use your natural strength.
Speaker 5: And ability so wrestling definitely taught me that. For sure how did wrestling make you a better? Football player what were the things that you took from wrestling in maybe the mental physical toughness story and. THE conditioning i mean. GET wrestlers I MEAN i i mean not watching them in high school and watching them, In, college like these guys are just. UNBELIEVABLY committed i DON'T think i could do everything these guys do to make sure that they're able to wrestle on a. Weekly basis, you know it's like it's. It's unbelievable where does that commitment?
Speaker 9: Come?
Speaker 3: From?
Speaker 5: What what what's where does that desire? Come from and how did wrestling help you become a better?
Speaker 3: FOOTBALL player, I mean i think IT'S just i, did it, you KNOW since i was five. Years old i've been doing both both SPORTS since i was five. YEARS old i stopped wrestling obviously in high school at, the end at the end right en rolling.
Speaker 16: In COLLEGE but i did it for, So long like the desire to do it and the desire to just pursue hard athletics was was always. IN me i never really questioned like why, Or how it just.
Speaker 3: Was there.
Speaker 16: You know my father did a great job of just raising me to just be, a individual, you know so he did a. GREAT job i had a lot of mentors around me that were really really good. To me my high school, wrestling coach my club coach were really really good to me and just showed me how to be, a man, you know like how to be how to, be, strong tough resilient and just have these TRAITS that i try to carry every day.
Speaker 6: With me.
Speaker 16: And, THEN yeah, i know and and again like the. Wrestling, part physically like your training muscles that are you can't, really train, you know like, your hips flexers and your, you know things within your groin and your stomach and your just, you know, your obliques like the things that got, you know us big guys like we don't really think to train, that, stuff right but it, definitely helps. You know it's, your stabilizers the things that allow you to again like keep, your balance keep, your leverage keep your feet in, the ground, you know as, you, know yeah like all, those, THINGS man i mean it's it's it's one of the best things THAT.
Speaker 3: That i did.
Speaker 5: SO well, i mean all, your dad all your coaches at the high school and, collegiate, level man they have to be very proud of the man that you turned out to be because you are as was. Man's man there's no question. About that you'd be A man's Thank, You, dad, yes sir.
Speaker 2: As you were growing up as, a wrestler were you in weight classes where you, had to for lack of a, better expression starve yourself and make weight and stuff, like that or were you a heavyweight where that wasn't as big of.
Speaker 16: AN issue i, Wrestled heavyweight so my SENIOR year i came into high school like two twenty and heavyweight's two.
Speaker 3: Eighty FIVE so i wrestled up for probably.
Speaker 2: Two, years okay two guys, much bigger.
Speaker 3: Much, bigger yeah.
Speaker 16: Much BIGGER and i struggled my freshman sophomore year just again like getting more developed physically and just, YOU know I mean i was a young young kid at, the time so just like hitting the, gym hard drinking protein every, single day creating all the stuff that you, can do just physically trying to, develop myself. You KNOW and i think that helped them. OUT too I mean i would go to practice and then hit the gym right after And as i'm not getting home till eight o'clock. Eight thirty and then my mom was a really good, Cook too so those.
Speaker 2: Late post high school, sports dinners those are some of my favorite memories coming home from high school Practice and mom's got that that huge dinner waiting for, you exactly even this flappy high school cross, COUNTRY runner i did that with the best. Of Them, All right we're gonna take a. Time out when we, Come back dylan is starting on the offensive line with A former, georgia Teammate A Marius Mimms, big boy who gave him a Nickname At. Georgia pickle we will get the origin story Of the pickle nickname From A marius mims when. We continue this Is the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just, bear chicken live From the On The rhine EATERY on espn fifteen thirty. Thing Two The Bengals Prep rally show Presented By Just, fair chicken live From the On The rhine eatery here In. Downtown cincinnati We appreciate nick and his staff here At the On The, Rhine eatery george and everybody else for taking care of care of us. Every week it's been awesome being Here on. Friday afternoons hope to be back. Next year it's been very convenient for the players joining us for the final hour of the show and rioting our special, Guest Today. Dylan, fairchild SO as i, mentioned before the. Commercial break one of his teammates started with him At the University, of georgia, right Tackle A, Marius mims and we learned On draft Day that amrius gave him The. Nickname PICKLE so I approached amarrius this week to get the. Origin story How Did dylan Fairchild? Become pickle Here's A. Marius mims so it's CRAZY how i.
Speaker 18: Guys STARTED so i just remember coming in our freshman year, OF college i just started giving everybody. Nicknames man so first It Was. BROCK bowers i, don't know he got a haircut and they messed up. His hairline He's, from california you know they probably cut different. OUT there i looked at HIM and, i, said dang you Like. A stanley and that name is stuck with, him forever like since my. Freshman Year todd monkan started Calling. Them stanley everybody team started calling. Him standing we still Call. Him STANLEY so i just Looked at diller. ONE day i think he said something crazy in the. MEETING room i, Was, LIKE dylan i, was like let me find let me find a good nickname.
Speaker 4: For Him then.
Speaker 5: PICKLED stuff i don't know how HE got i don't know how.
Speaker 18: It happened he said something CRAZY and, i said just stop being a pickle or something, like THAT and i just DROPPED the D and i just started Calling. Him pickle and THAT'S how i. Got started he said something crazy in. THE meetings i forgot what, he said but it was our. Freshman Year matt luke was our whole. LINE coach I just i just came up with The. Name pickle and that's just how it. Got, Started man i've been calling him that. Ever since, it's weird, BUT yeah i gave him And brock bowers nicknames and. They STUCK and I still i CALLED stan I. Called stanley stanley's name of my Phone, is Stanley and dylan's name my Phone. Is pickle so that's just this IS how i got started. As wild but that's, that's it.
Speaker 2: All right there you have it From a. Marius Mems brock bauer's got a bad Haircut became stanley as. A result you apparently said something in a meeting that led him to Call you pickle d which has been Shortened, to pickle and he continues to Call you pickle to.
Speaker 3: This day, he does. HE Does i. I'M shocked, I mean i didn't. Remember That so i'm glad. He did do You Call Brock?
Speaker 16: BAUERS stanley? I, DO yeah. I, do yeah that pretty much All of mems'. Names suck so he has a knack for coming up with the nickname.
Speaker 3: He does he.
Speaker 5: Definitely does there's always one teammate, that does, you know there's always one that has to the, quick mind.
Speaker 4: You know, AND.
Speaker 5: Yeah I Mean kenny anderson had nicknames, for everybody and he had A Nickname, Bob Johnson, bob trumpy all, those, guys uh, you know back in. The day so it's it's a. Big fraternity, it's unique. YOU know, i mean it's it's a bond that will be there for our. Entire life nobody will be able to break, that, Bond, RIGHT no.
Speaker 3: I know and people to this day, they're like why are? You nicknames, i'm, like man you got To.
Speaker 16: Ask mems it just goes way back and it's like again the fraternal feeling of being on the.
Speaker 3: Football, team yeah.
Speaker 2: You, know so so what do you Think of amarus and the way that he's played in HIS second nfl season?
Speaker 3: This, YEAR man i think he's. Done great.
Speaker 16: You know, he again like he's one of those guys kind of like men know is just he's just a physical, you know he's a free and again like he's as long as we always like kind of make jokes like mems is twelve yards away from, the queue and that's that's what you love to see from. Your tackles and he does a, great job, you know week in and week out of just attacking each week as it is and just a.
Speaker 3: Physical specimen. You know it's THE day i, MET him i, was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, my gosh like this.
Speaker 16: Guy is we all had that reaction the first time we saw him face to. Pay out that's what, you want, YOU know, i mean that's what you want from. Your tackles and both of ours have done a great job.
Speaker 5: So far so with those two tackles that, You've Got orlando Brown And. Amarus Mims scott peters your new offensive line coach his first year with, The Team amarus min's first year as, a starter second year with, the Team And orlando brown the. VETERAN guy, I Mean scott peters is got a. Great reputation jim McNally Worked With scott peters and kind Of Taught scott peters Everything that jim McNally knows which is a lot about fundamentals and techniques. And everything How Is scott peters how's he doing developing the? Offensive line you guys, have youth you, have experience you, have talent you get everything that takes to be a great offensive line IN.
Speaker 3: The.
Speaker 16: Nfl, yeah no he's done a great job, so far at least with. ME personally, i mean, you know when we're breaking down, our film we're watching our stuff for very precise with just some things that we want to critique. And fix, and again like he says it all, the time like be gritty with how good you. Can GET and i that's kind of hit my brain. The most and and again like just go goes down to the fundamentals and techniques and when we work on those every, single week, YOU know i DON'T think i mean we say it all. The time it's like nobody does it as much as. We do and just playing long Kind of i'm sure you heard earlier in the clip, he, said uh just, playing long like that's something THAT that i have particularly tried to work on this entire season and going to continue to, work on, you know just in pass pro specifically playing long and then even in the, run game finding ways to play long create space for our guys to fit into our double teams with us in the in the zone plays and just repping repping stuff one the one.
Speaker 5: After another ONE thing i noticed about all you guys are intentional too about what. You're doing, you know what what technique you're, gonna work what what technique you're, Gonna EMPHASIZE and i mean everybody has. A, plan uh everybody's body is diff, you know like, You Said summer longer can use that length the link techniques and fundamentals that he. Talks about, but, mentally physically you guys are so intentional it's it reminds me of Like how jim McNally wanted us. To be and you Guys With scott peterson cut from the.
Speaker 16: Same, cloth, yeah, No absolutely and he does a really good job too of custom tailoring for. Each GUY and i think that's really important because each athlete, is unique you KNOW what, I mean that's kind of what makes you a ligne is a blend of just, unique athletes and like what WORKS for mems may not WORK for ob, as well what WORKS for ob may not WORK.
Speaker 3: For mems and then Me and Dalton or Jalen and ted.
Speaker 16: Vice versa, you know so he does a really good job of just custom tailor and guys techniques and just.
Speaker 3: The fits that we want to have in double. Team specifically, you know he does a.
Speaker 2: Great job so it looks like it's going to be in the Sixties on sunday for the home game Against. The cardinals last week it was in the Seventies. In miami but the week before that ten degrees win chill. Minus one the week before that Snowy. And buffalo what were those cold weather games like? FOR you.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed i enjoyed most. OF them i think.
Speaker 16: The painfully cold one was, on here no doubt it was a very, cold one but it was, you know obviously we didn't we didn't do what we wanted to do, that day this past Game.
Speaker 3: In cincy but, you know it's been it's. Been good it's been fun and.
Speaker 16: SO far, i, mean Again like i've had a lot of guys around me that have taught me a lot of great techniques and tricks to the trade of just how to stay warm and how to stay sweaty when you need, to be, you know and, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's been. Really GOOD so, i mean it's.
Speaker 5: BEEN fun i hear, You, football uh football should, be fun, YOU know i mean it's a uh, it.
Speaker 3: Is Yeah and i've.
Speaker 16: Realized too IN the nfl it's such a it is most definitely a cold. Weather, sport yeah, you know especially IN. The nfl you know you're getting these late months and it's he gets colder. Every WEEK so, i mean this is an outlier, this, week, Which right i'm Thankful for.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be what sixty?
Speaker 2: And, sixties, yeah crazy and then nineteen the. Next, DAY unbelievable a forty, degree draw a Plummet. ENJOY sunday i will, all right we're gonna take a time out when we. Come Back dylan fairchild is fifteen games into his. Rookie year we'll hear from Head Coach zach taylor and Offensive Coordinator dan pitcher on how he's done. So far this Is the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just faired CHICKEN on espn. Fifteen Thirty, Dan ordon Dave lap i'm back On the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just. Bared chicken our special guest today is Offensive Lineman, dylan fairchild approaching the end of an excellent. Rookie season let's hear from Head Coach zach taylor And Offensive dan pitcher on their View of dylan's first year With. The bengals Play.
Speaker 3: Twin Orlando and ted has been really good.
Speaker 8: For him played with really good physicality and, you know seeing a lot of stuff over the course of, the season being able to, be AVAILABLE and i think he's got a really.
Speaker 7: High ceiling but it's gratifying after spending, you know close to a year with him that he's the person that we thought we, were getting because that's that's always such a critical element when when it comes to, player acquisition is, you know not only the player on, the field but the person and are they made of the?
Speaker 2: Right things are they going to be able to? Overcome adversity and when.
Speaker 7: It doesn't look good and it, feels ugly does that propel them to make positive changes or does that do they go in? The tank and all the things we felt about him that we're going to allow him to, HAVE success i think have. Been confirmed and now it's just about the hard day, to day week, to week year to year work to become the best player he. Can BE but i think he's got a very bright future and he'll be a really good starting guard in this league for a.
Speaker 2: Long time telling you strike me as somebody who enjoys? The grind is?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 16: Accurate, absolutely, Yeah ABSOLUTELY and i mean that's exactly What coach pitch, was saying was just it's about what you do day.
Speaker 3: To day, you know year to year is, big picture but you, know again like the day to day thing is.
Speaker 5: Is huge, So absolutely is there anybody on the on the current roster With the bengals did that's an example in, That regard that's a positive one that you. Can emulate, you know somebody that just, day in day out loves the grind looks forward to? The grind is there is there a player that you can pattern yourself after a?
Speaker 4: Little?
Speaker 16: Bit Man ted carris is one of. Those guys it's like he's just. A Beast i mean people, are like how do, you know what do you Think? About ted, i'm like he's Just a he's. An animal, you know he's on your ten and he's. DOING this i see him. Every day he hits his, warm up he hits his pre. PRACTICE routine i mean it's like clockwork every. Single DAY and i mean he's a great to, look too to to just see how how do you make it ten years in. The LEAGUE and i mean you look at what he does preat practice and, pre game and i mean every, single time, you know it's it's the little stuff that he. Does too it's like every time somebody goes down in, A game, i mean he goes down and, he'll pray and it's, you know it doesn't matter who, it is if he knows him. OR not, i mean he's just he's routine with everything that. He DOES and i mean that's Something that i've like really taken. From Him and, i'm, like Wow that's i'd, envy that, you know like in a. Good, Way yeah it's.
Speaker 3: Very, IMPRESSIVE yeah i mean and and he's he's great.
Speaker 2: At it so you lived with him for a, little while describe how that.
Speaker 16: Came about that, Was, AWESOME yeah. I KNOW he i mean as SOON as i, got drafted he immediately. Called me he told, me said lock my. Number in, You Know i'm i'm. The center so, and he, you know again welcomed me with open arms and did a great job of just kind of introducing me to.
Speaker 3: The plays just day by day we would go over. Certain stuff, nothing crazy but just like the basics of what we. Do here and and it.
Speaker 16: WAS great I mean i had a. Great time he's. Very welcoming my my wife insisted that we got him a BASKET to i would hope that.
Speaker 3: Was.
Speaker 2: Nice yeah absolutely his house for a.
Speaker 3: Little.
Speaker 16: While, Absolutely, yeah no he's he's a. GREAT man i mean he. Really is so, you know what he does with this foundation, is great. It's amazing, All right.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go way off, topic here way off Of pob corinthians ten.
Speaker 3: Thirty, one, yes sir what's?
Speaker 16: That about that was my, First TATTOO and i, YOU know i was at church, ONE day, i Believe for easter with my dad and that had came across the board and just kind of hit me in. The face and it's Something that i've tried to live by for the rest For since i've really. Seen it it's rather eating or drinking and do all things for the Glory.
Speaker 3: Of God h it's a. Good, message, Yeah absolutely and it's SOMETHING that i try to just live by and just, you know not just with, my words but.
Speaker 6: With.
Speaker 16: Example yeah and so that's is Something that i've always tried to keep. With me so absolutely.
Speaker 2: Tattooed prominently on your.
Speaker 3: Right, leg, yea, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes sir got some other INK elsewhere.
Speaker 16: I do i've got some of. My arms i've got a lion. Right here i've got a picture of me and. My father my grandfather loved to, take pictures and he passed away a few. Years ago And then i've got a dove, right here and then a clock with, three hands.
Speaker 5: With, three hands what's significance?
Speaker 3: Of that?
Speaker 16: The, signet so my wife was in a car wreck at the time, eleven eleven and she her and her brother both walked. Away unscathed and it was by the Grace. Of god they had flipped like probably four times, five times and it was just by the Grace. OF god, i mean they they they walked, away unharmed.
Speaker 3: You know and then the.
Speaker 16: Number seven god works in the. Numeral seven and then again like you can't tell the time on, the clock so you don't know the day or the hour that he. Will return so that is the significance. Of That And i'm i'm VERY happy i get THEM because i, You know i'll look at them SOMETIMES and i REMEMBER why i. Got, them yeah, you know THAT'S why i try to always get. A meeting there's a message. With everyone, absolutely yeah absolutely.
Speaker 2: All right we're going to take our final. Time out when we, come back we Will play america's favorite. Game show we Call It Know. YOUR school i have five questions About the University. Of georgia we must get at least, three rights all right to be declared.
Speaker 3: A winner i feel confident.
Speaker 2: LIKE that i. Like confidence, of course you're a, recent grad. Which helps. That's right some of these guys it's, you know been nine or. Ten years they're, like, Really what so. We'll see we'll come back and Play With dylan fairchild when. We continue this Is the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just, bear chicken live from the On The, rhine eatery OUT of espn.
Speaker 4: Fifteen thirty.
Speaker 2: Final Segment Of the Bengals Pep rally show Presented By Just Fair chicken live from the On The. RHINE eatery a few thank yous before we Get To Know your. School segment thanks to Our Engineer mike mills for setting. Everything up we, Appreciate. You magic thank You To Drew wester heidi back in the studio your great job of. Producing today Thanks to Nick and george and everybody from the On The. Rhine eatery we always appreciate. Their hospitality looking forward to The dry, RUP wings i. Hear that and most, of all thank you To the bengals fans who came out to be with. Us today we always. Appreciate you thank you so much time. To play know. YOUR school i have five questions About the University of georgia for Former Bulldog. Dylan fairchild he needs to get at least three right to be. A winner he has already declared. His confidence question. Number one georgia has Had Two heisman. Trophy winners name at least One. Herschel Walker herschel walker. Is Correct dave, Lapham Blockform oh jersey.
Speaker 3: Generals, here, yeah wow he.
Speaker 2: Was on you've.
Speaker 3: Seen him I'VE seen, i mean you're talking about a.
Speaker 5: Specimens man it's like you's an. Anatomy chart, You know, it's like what?
Speaker 3: The hell unbel.
Speaker 2: His Highlights, Frank sickwitch by, the way is The Other. GEORGIA trophy i have. NO idea i only wrote down. The name question. Number two there is a structure On the University of georgia, campus that according, to tradition you're not supposed to walk under until. You graduate what is? That structure the arch? Is correct or arch is you are two? For two working named the iconic alternative rock band that Featured four University of, georgia's students including Lead Singer. Michael stipe THIS one i might.
Speaker 16: Struggle with, oh man you said alternative. Rock band the audience is TRYING to i.
Speaker 3: CAME here I wish i could.
Speaker 2: The, Corner dude so my religion. R em oh, ALL right i Wouldn't have guess you've got two left to get one. Right right naming The former georgia basketball star Nicknamed The Human, highlight reel who is a Nine Time, all star a Two Time Slam, dunk champion and whose number twenty one is retired By The. Atlanta Hawks.
Speaker 3: Not anthony Uh Not. Anthony edwards no man on basketball asking wrestlers. Basketball questions, that's hard that's hard.
Speaker 2: For men is playing For?
Speaker 3: The, bulldogs NOW damn i should.
Speaker 2: Know this then he's a freshman, this year so he didn't overlap, with you.
Speaker 3: And he played For. The hawks played For the hawk.
Speaker 2: Were, tremendous no not even More Than Michael, Jordan Eira. Larry Bird Michael, JORDAN eira i Don't Think, dominique wilkins, all right got to get the. Final one.
Speaker 3: What do?
Speaker 2: You have a forty unbelievable maybe the best. Hunker ever. I'm real what is the Name of george's live? Bulldog mascot correct?
Speaker 5: Hood bugger.
Speaker 2: You got enough right. To win you officially know. Your, School Congratulations, Dylan.
Speaker 5: Fairchod, congratulations, yes sir, all.
Speaker 2: Right we are just out of just about out. Of time we really appreciate you coming out and doing. This today congratulations on a great. Season today hope you and your wife have a tremendous. Off season Kick the cardinals Tales this sunday and do the same To The cleveland browns.
Speaker 3: Next, week, yes sir thank you so much for. Having me let's hear It for Dylan.
Speaker 2: Fair, job sure, all right It's the Bengals and cardinals coming Up. On sunday it's a one clock kick At Pay. Corp stadium our pregame coverage will start ninety minutes before kickoff On The Bengals, radio network meaning we will be on at eleven thirty Am For, Dave Lappam, Mike Mills, Drew wester heidi and our Special Guest. Dylan Fairchild I'm. Dan hord thank you so much. For listening you've been listening To the Bengals pep rally show Presented By Just baird chicken On The Bengals. Radio network This.
Speaker 1: Was Bengals bep rally Presented By Just baird chicken On The Bengals. Radio Network. Pay Corps pay corp is proud to be THE official hr software provider Of The. Cincinnati Bengals Ulti Viper ulta viper The Official wi Fi and internet provider Of The. Cincinnati bengals THIS is espn, fifteen thirty the official home Of The, cincinnati bengals