Speaker 1: And now, an exclusive interview with David Basset for Dodger Talk. This guy is on everybody's radar now, but he has not forgotten the little people, the guys that were there since day one. And that is my guy, Snellzilla, who is in disguise with a hoodie over his head because everybody wants a piece of the two times. two-time Cy Young Award winner, a guy that's thrown a no-hitter in his career, and a World Series champion. That's the one and only Blake Snell. Thanks a lot for the time, and I think everybody now knows.
Speaker 2: That you're joining us. You're a wild boy, man. Smelling the best.
Speaker 3: Thanks to you, Snellzilla.
Speaker 2: I got you with the cologne. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I think that was the condition, right? You said, I need a good-smelling... interview, so I'm going to spray you with some of my top shelf stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got some Baccarat on, so yeah, you'll be smelling nice all day.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. And you were smelling nice last night after the game, six shutty against one of the best offenses in baseball. When you look at a game like last night, how much do you dissect or do you move on?
Speaker 3: No, like I'll think about the next couple of days of what I could have done better and where.
Speaker 2: I thought that I did really good.
Speaker 3: And then, you know, you create a plan of, okay, what are the areas that need to get better and what are the areas that need to stay consistent and continue to improve that gradually. And it's kind of what I do. So a lot of today is just really thinking, going over, really like understanding the way I felt in situations and then how to build and grow on them.
Speaker 1: I never asked you this before. I know you do your homework we see the snailzilla binder and the way you dissect a lineup before you go into a start but how much do you visualize success before a start.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah it's a good amount um.
Speaker 3: Yeah i just i don't know i just think of myself as the best in the world and that's what i want to be and that's what i'm chasing on being and that's all i really care about yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that there are still doubts after everything you've accomplished in your career? People still doubt what you can do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they don't know me, so it don't matter.
Speaker 1: Hunter Fadusha told me in Detroit, he said, having a pregame meeting with you is one of the most enlightening, greatest pregame meetings with a pitcher he's ever been part of because you have a plan when you walk into that room and you go down the lineup. And I asked him whether it's like, a rap cadence like what's the cadence of the whole meeting and he said yeah there's a little there's a rhythm to the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah there's definitely a rhythm um but yeah I like to go into it knowing you know where I'm going to attack where my success is going to be where I'm going to need to challenge them and their strengths and and then you the game will tell you you know you feel the game out and you go through it it'll tell you what you need to do when you need to you know get on the accelerator versus be more passive and Yeah, it's pitching.
Speaker 1: And you call your own pitches with the Pitchcom. How much has that helped you in just getting everybody on the same page?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it because if I go up a hit or if anything bad happens, you know, it's on me.
Speaker 2: It's not on the catcher. It's on me.
Speaker 3: I can't be here like, why didn't you call it?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm the one calling it. So I love it.
Speaker 3: Lake Snell is our guest.
Speaker 1: When you look at this whole staff, it feels like you guys really feed off each other. What kind of competition in a good way is there amongst yourselves, Scooble, Glassnow, and Yamamoto?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's amazing. You got four, you know, ace starters.
Speaker 3: And we're all competing against each other, but we're all pushing for each other to be great. You know, set the bar high and the next person to set it even higher. So... I've loved the staff since I've been here with Glass, Yama, Shohei. I've really loved our starting staff. I think we all get along. We all support each other. We're all pushing in the same direction. We all want to be great, and that's an amazing thing. And then now adding Scooble to the mix, I mean, he's fitting perfectly, and he's only getting better. He's getting more comfortable. He's starting to get his understanding of the game. We're starting to understand what he likes to do. It takes a little bit of time, so... Let that time happen, and then, you know, he's been pitching good anyways, but I know he's going to pitch even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you feel like we've seen the best of Scooble yet?
Speaker 3: No, I think, I mean, tough first innings has been kind of the cadence with him lately, and, you know, it's just him feeling it out. Once he gets going and gets that rhythm and, you know, he's comfortable, he's going to be, you know, the Scooble everyone talks about.
Speaker 1: He set up a dinner for you guys in Detroit. How far does that go with teammates for a guy that's new to the team to really want to be part of it and invite you guys out and put something together in his old city?
Speaker 3: No, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: And the food was amazing.
Speaker 3: And honestly, it was so good for us to get out and be a team and just talk and hang out and be friends. And no, that was awesome. And that was such a big thing for him to think of the team and do that.
Speaker 1: And that means a lot for him, for you to show up because Blake Snell really doesn't leave his room that often.
Speaker 3: I'll be playing 2K. I'll be playing NCAA. You get the smoke whenever you want it. Right now, my 2K build is trash. I got to fix that. But yeah, when it comes to a team event, I'm going to be there.
Speaker 1: That's another perception that's not accurate. Just how much you want to be part of the team. It's not just about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know where that comes from. Probably people that don't know me, but... I've always been a team player, and I've always been all about the team. So the people that say that, say differently, they don't know me.
Speaker 2: So why are you listening to them?
Speaker 1: That's right. This is the only place where you can find out what the great Snellzilla is all about. I think Tarek Skubal's found out some things about you. It feels like he has your back as well because he said the same thing. People that have this perception of you don't really know you. He's found out a lot about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we've grown a really good friendship thus far. I'm excited to see where that goes. I think it's only going to make us better and stronger for the postseason if all of us starters are really connected and close.
Speaker 2: Is it weird?
Speaker 1: I know you're still a young man, but you've had a lot of experience and you've pitched in a lot of big games. For a guy like Scooble to really value your opinion and scouting reports, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even think necessarily.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's cool that he does, but I think he has his plan and his philosophy. And I just ask questions and see if that sparks anything for him to want to change or keep the same. But, no, I mean, he's done all of this on his own. And for us, we're just having a conversation, learning from each other, from what we've seen and the way we felt being on the mound, etc.
Speaker 1: Blake, I know you were telling me after you had your bone chips removed that all of a sudden you had more range of motion and you were really excited for how you could execute your pitches again after being hurt for so long. Have you seen that come to fruition like the way you were describing it before?
Speaker 2: Have you? I have.
Speaker 1: I have seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I asked that question. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, I knew the curveball was going to be ten times better.
Speaker 3: The first time I threw it, it was like the way I was throwing it in game, and I was just lobbing it. So I was like, this is going to be a joke. So, yeah, it's nice finally having my curveball back. And it still has so much room to get better. You know, I got to keep throwing it, and it will just continue to maturate and get better, and I'm really looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: When do you know you have that feel? And you can't give up on that feel, right, if you don't have it in the first innings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just confidence, you know?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's coaches that have told me to bang the changeup. It's not a good pitch. When I didn't have the curveball, look what I had, the changeup. And look what saved me, the changeup. And look what made me, you know, being able to go 6-7-8, the changeup. And right now the changeup's good, but the curveball's so good, it's just I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know when to throw it. It's that good, you don't know when to throw it. Yeah, because I like the curveball.
Speaker 3: The contact on it's weak, if it is contact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you certainly have showed that early on where your secondary pitches are such a weapon to go off your command of the fastball, but isn't that where it starts, the command of the fastball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the command's everything, and really all the pitches, but I mean, I'm chasing like the perfect version of myself, so I just, yeah, I don't know how to really express, I just have so much work to do. I know I do, and I know I can be that, as good as I want to be, and That's all I care about. I just want to be the best version of myself. So when it's all said and done, I could just know that I did everything I could to be the best version of me.
Speaker 1: Blake Snell is our guest. Before I let you go, I got to let you in on something you would appreciate. My fifth grade son was at his friend's house. They're playing MLB The Show. And they said they put you to the test on MLB The Show. And I said, hey, did Snellzilla pass? And he laughed. He said, of course he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course it's.
Speaker 3: Right, but honestly, my card in the MLB to show is trash. You need a sinker and a cutter to be good in that game bitching.
Speaker 1: So you say they're shortchanging you on the card even though you pass?
Speaker 3: I just know that he loves me, period. So I appreciate that, but that card's trash.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Hey, the show, clean it up. You got to give Snellzilla some love. Now everybody's texting me. Everybody's calling this guy a savant. You should have known that before. You got to believe before you see.
Speaker 2: Why are you hating?
Speaker 1: That's right. I'm here for you. Thanks a lot for the time. Can't wait to do this again on another show. Snellzilla Saturday.
Speaker 2: I can't wait either, man. Appreciate it.