Speaker 1: In AMers County.
Speaker 2: It's phony here on seven hundred WLW ready to rock and roll this morning. I'm not quite sure what's going on with her behind the scenes stuff. Hold on just a second, I have a guest on the show here. Momentarily, I'm just gonna do this. Oh wow, all right, So trying to get hold of Alisha reached she was going to jump in this morning and talk about the fifty million dollar property tax relief incentive. Number one issue for every man and woman, I would save to say in Hamlin County, Butler County, Warren County, pretty much in the state is the issue of property taxes. I had yesterday on the show, Bill Sites, who was a co chair of the working group the governor put together. They came up with like a twenty point plan, and a lot of it makes you kind of your eyes glaze over. It's just numbers and terms that we don't easily understand. You know, we start talking about. Bottom line is if you're lucky, maybe you saw a twenty percent increase, but some people have seen two hundred, three hundred percent increases. Now for the average person, it's an extra I don't like eleven bucks, twelve bucks a month. In some cases you're like, Okay, no big deal. If you're a senior and you're pinching pennies, a little more difficult there. But the big problem, of course, is when you start to see some folks who are getting hit literally with hundreds and hundreds of dollars more, that's a different story entirely. Alicia Reese, Hamlin County Commissioner, on the show on seven hundred WLW welcome back.
Speaker 1: How you been, Hey, great? How are you love?
Speaker 3: I'm doing what?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's good to be back. It's good to be here. Limping along. I saw the Butler County. A bunch of counties are doing stuff right. Butler County is doing a fifty million dollar property tax relief initiative. As I said, number one issue for voters right now is that. A bunch of other counties too, I know that like Franklin County and others are doing things to try and relieve some of the burden. You saw this and it was almost what a year ago, I think a year ago, next month, this coming month, when you guys said, you know what, you're finally going to get that property tax rollback. We've guaranteed when we built an new stadiums a couple of several decades ago. Now, so the end result is you look at Butler County said, well, why aren't we doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, absolutely, thron you know, I've been on this issue. You've been on this issue. I've been on this show. We've been dealing with this when I first got elected almost five years ago, and we kept saying, probably taxes, it's the number one issue. That's what we said. And so one of the things that we've tried to do, of course short term things. One was I said, hey, we're talked about affordable housing. That's great, but we've got to also make sure that the people can afford to keep the house they already have. And so I said, we're going to take some of this money to help stop gap that because we've got these new appraisals coming through. So we put six million dollars to try to help people get through and hoping that the state legislature would get this solved. Then the next thing I did, I said, well, wait a minute, I gave my state of the county and I said, hey, governor, let's free the taxes on senior citizens, particularly until the legislature gets this done. It's good to put a committee together, but I've been at the state House and I know what happens with those committees. They go back and forth, back and forth. In the meantime, your property tax is going up and you're trying to hang on to your house. And we had almost one hundred homeowners come down to the county one of the county meetings regarding this issue. I said, they need help right now, so I have them and freeze of property taxes on that. The other thing that we did was, you know, the thirty percent that was promised to voters so many years ago with the stadium deals. That was never kept. And in the four years I had been there, I was able to get it passed two of those years. And I've been on your show and certainly some of your listeners helped us to achieve that as well. But in the new Bengal deal lease, which is what I had the big problem with, we wouldn't be were we got rid of the thirty percent. You can't do thirty percent. I even asked the administrator and he said, no, there'll be no money in here for the taxpayers to get a thirty percent break. Even though that's what was promised, and that's why I didn't go with the deal. I said, the taxpayers are written out of the deal. I can't go with it. But now we're seeing a law was passed where it allows us at the local level to double the homestead. Now we would have to pay for it, you know, every county would have to pay for it. So Butler County stepped up and I talked to one of the commissioners there because I had some interest in it. They stepped up and said, Hey, we're gonna do fifty million dollars. We're going to double this homestead and we're going to do it with our own money until the state gets it together. I then introduced the motion just last week when I saw that, and I said, mister Administrator Jeffaluto, who we're putting our budget together for you know, we do one year budget, so we're putting the budget together now. He had never mentioned it at first, and so I introduced the motion in the meeting saying, I want this looked into immediately. And I can't even because each of us turn in our budgets. I can't turn in a budget. If I didn't know that we could do this because I now want to look at this right. So we would have turned in our budgets and had no idea we could do this. I said, hold on, I need to know about this and come. And then I asked him, I said, well, why did Butler County move so quick? He said, oh, yeah, by the way, you have in October. We have a deadline this month to make a decision. And so again when we looked at the budgets, we always find money for, you know, the big projects, you know, whether it's a Bengal leave or a big project. But when it comes to the people, they say, oh, we're broke. We're not able to help the homeowner. And I told him, I said, my number one thing, we can't price the people out of Hamilton County where they can't afford to live here and can't afford to hold on to their home. I had gotten a letter one time from a senior citizen. You could tell she could barely write. And she hands me shaking based on the letter, and she said she had never in her life she missed her property tax. She always pays her taxes, but she just can't do it, and she deserves to hold onto her home and that really touched me. And after that I just have been, you know, relentless on trying to get this done. Now they've issued a report from the state. You know, some of this stuff got to go to the legislature. They got to take it to the House, and they got to take to the Senate, and they got to go back and forth. But people need help immediately, and so I have put a motion forward to see if we can at least start with this budget doubling the homestead to help our seniors. Again, I would I would encourage the governor to freeze these property taxes until they can get it done, so that can put some sense of urgency on it. But if Butler County is doing it, Warren County's looking into it, I think we've got to look into it.
Speaker 2: So it's just you know, the rich suburban communities like Butler and Warcott. Green County's doing something. They said that they're going to temporar roll back a half middle of the inside millage. Montgomery County, which is Dayton, of course, said they're working on promoting property tax relief and expanding homestead which you did here in Hamlin County. Owner occupancy credit stuff like that as well. And so it's not just the wealthy quote unquote wealth of your suburbs are doing this. It's happening all of the states simply because it is so broken. Yesterday in the show, I had the code chair and former Ohio House Minority Speaker from Green Township, Bill Sites on the show. He was the co chair of the working group the governor put together to try and come up with a plan. They issued a twenty point plan to try and fix the property tax issue. One of the things came up and see if you agree with this or not, and that is the control through the county Budget Commission, which would be the Hamlet County Budget Commissioner, or your concern would be the reduction of unnecessary excessive levees basically meaning instad saying that you know, you can't if a levee fails, you can't come back right away put the levee back on the ballot. From someone who is very pro local control, county control, how does that sit with you?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the state always what I call it trickle down taxation. They cut things at the state level and they pass it on to the local level and really don't give us the power. I'll give you an example of people dealing with their sewer bills and I wanted when I first got there, I said, well, wait a minute, let's try to put a freeze on it for senior citizens, etc. They said, no, you can't do that because the state. You got to get approval from a state, and then the state never did give us approval. They're still running around talking about they got a build, but they never put it in the budget. You know, some of this control they're talking about, it was never put in the state budget. And being at the state, if it's not at the state budget, it doesn't have a deadline. And if it doesn't have a deadline at the state, you know how they do, They study, study, study, at what they do is say go back home, and then when you go home, they you know, they cut the local government fund. I don't, we don't have money to do anything. Uh. You know, I was up in the state. I remember they kept saying, well, raise the taxes at the local level, and we're gonna cut it up at this level. And I jumped them and said, this is trickle down taxation. So again it's almost a passing of the buck. Uh. You know, because what I've seen is that the state could fix this problem immediately. And what we have right now is we have a we have you know, property tax are do and bills are due right now, and we're talking about studying and a long term approach. I think we need a long term plan, but you know, the lady that wrote me and the other people that I've interacted with, they need a right now plan. And I'm hoping that there are some things that we can do. Hopefully doubling this homestead will be Hopefully we can move forward with it. The debate, though, is does the local people pay or does the state give us the money to pay the doll.
Speaker 2: That's the problem, right this goes well, the problem is, of course, it goes back to what's Strickland. And the idea was, hey, you know what, we've got to right size the state budget. And so what we're gonna do is we're gonna cut off all the local money because we'd send our money to Columbus kind of like we do Washington and it trickles back to us. And that was the plan, all right, so we send our money, well, you know what, we're gonna do stuff at the state level we're going to cut off the local supply to counties and municipalities and alike. And that, of course, over the years, has put a lot of areas in a crunch. Property tax has a hand in that to some degree. But the thing is, okay, Well, the state is flushed with cash. Look at our well balanced budget. We've got a surplus at the state. The problem is that the money's not flo flowing back to the local communities and hasn't for some time. So in order to raise capital, you guys have to, Well, we got to raise taxes, We've got to put levies out there, and now we're going to put a cap on the lobbies. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's it's the state of politics because the entities at the time, to put it together, we're trying to run for higher office. That makes you look good when you're flushed with cash at the state level, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, at the state level they always say we got this rainy day. Fun I said, well, it's storming down here where I'm at at Hamilton County. Give it to us. And like you said, once you send it, it's like Washington. Once you send it to Washington. Don't. It never comes back. You know, we only get a small percentage once you send it to the state. It doesn't come back, just like a unclaimed funds, which I'm I'm pushing Sloan right now with my five one three relief bus. We're trying to help people get their money back. They want to give our money to Cleveland. We're not getting it back here. They gave six hundred million in the budget for Cleveland Browns out of our unclaim money. Focus on everybody claim our money.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I pushed back a little on that. Well, that's money that's been sitting around for ten years. And I would say this, like, if you're not plugged in enough to hear all the people talking about unclaimed monds funds, you go check the website. I went and checked, and I got like a check of a It took like thirty years, but I got to check for four hundred dollars. They're pretty happy and unplaying money that was owed to me. But you know, you got to get off your ass if it's your money and get it after ten years. It's public money.
Speaker 1: But let me say this though, for years people because of the scams, people were thinking Is this real? Is this a scam? Is this one of those fraud things? So you had to get over that, and then they made it kind of difficult. You know those who were in the know, who you know, were able to do it. So now we're gonna make it simple. We've got the laptops, we got the five one three relief bus. They can go to five one three relief out or find the bus. And they ain't go. I saw a lady, a senior citizen. She jumped up and said, what they had two hundred of my money?
Speaker 5: You know, where the hell are you being?
Speaker 1: She thought it was a fraud.
Speaker 4: A lot of people, you know, because you know all these things, you know, you gotta do a look now you got to be good for people like you were out there doing the business, representing people and you're telling them it's like, oh, look, well I didn't believe it's Aleisha.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing.
Speaker 1: We were.
Speaker 2: We had enough people like yours talking about getting your money back. And if you don't want it to go to Cleveland, uh, then you know, and I didn't. I didn't want my four hundred dollars going to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be honest with you, I didn't know we had four billion dollars sitting up there. That a lot of money. A lot of people could be helped with it. If they were saying, we're gonna put that money toward the homestead, wouldn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now Brown's are getting the news.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you got that deal done. You finally we got the stadium deal done and all that stuff. Stadium deal. Okay, we got the stadium deal done, and then we turn around and the Bengals are terrible? Can we get our money back?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm and I tried to tell you that you got to read the sign print of these deals and the taxpayers was written. Now now now I'm on your show and you're hollering we won our money back? Get we not winning? And at the same time, Brandma's house, she can't hold onto her house. What did we get out of the deal. We needed one of those Denver Broncos deals where they said they're putting up all private money and we could have saved at Grandma's house. And so now we're fighting again to hold the property taxes. We took out the thirty percent, so now you can't get the thirty percent rebate that you and I have been fighting for every single year at least you can get something back, and that's not happening. And now we're not winning. And now we've got a deal, and we got a lease that will end at the same time as the Reds lease. Oh my god, we got problem. Maybe I said, have come on here you and gave me a headache.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I got your workdof You're the one who wanted the damn job, and now you don't want the damn job.
Speaker 5: I want the dog.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to tell the people. I'm only one vote. And even with the property taxes, last time we had to fight, it was a two to one vote. I mean we didn't we didn't get a unanimous So again, uh, we're gonna keep fighting for this. I got a motion out. I want you. We're doing that. We're getting ready to the budget. And I told the vister Ludo, Now we can't say we're broke today and then tomorrow you got an eight hundred and fifty million dollar post almost a billion dollar Bengal lease and the taxpayers are left out. So that's what we're doing. But throw on Wednesday, next Wednesday, put on your pink. Put on your pink is Breast Cancer Awareness Day. My mother passed from it. A lot of other people had cancer. I've got a cancer Caucus state of cancer. It's hitting everybody. He doesn't care about your age, your race, your social status. The rates have gone up in Hamilton County. So we've got doctors in a call to action so that we get more screenings that no co pay and all that. And we're doing it next Wednesday. I want all celebrities, all the people in Hamilton County. We're wearing pink. But it's not just breast cancer. We're gonna take on all of the cancer and look at how we could get more money, more clinical trials, and more cures.
Speaker 2: But we got to do it through early detection from non Hodgkins lymfalma and breast cancers hit friends and family members. I know it all too well. And uh, I'm glad you're raising awareness for it. And I'm gonna I'll be glad to wear pink next Wednesday. The Cancer Caucus. She is a Hamlin County commissioner, Alicia Reese, trying her best to try and get some of that money back. All right, Alicia, I gotta get going. I always love having me on. You're a spark of light in another wase dismal Hamlin County. Let me put it that way.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. Let's keep the fight norse all right.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, appreciate you. Have a great day. We'll chat again next time. I got to get to a news update. I always love having Lisa bring noise. I have a little buyer's remorse at that state. I've got the stadium, they'll done. Can we get some of the unclaimed fun money? Maybe buy an offensive linement or two?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 2: Can we can we?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: All right now, Mike Brown's like, wait, what can we do? Can we do that? We can get players and we don't have to pay for I don't have to cut a chick. Hey wait a minutelet's fuck into that. Hey hey, he's on the side. Hey hey, oh frugalism. It's five minutes away from a news update. We'll do that and more to follow. Sloane here on this rainy and we welcome the rain on this Tuesday morning, by the way, because it's been bone dry for two damn long rain for a good solid day, good hard rain we needed here. Seven hundred w Wellwike sharing thumbs up here and Zach Tanner worried about his job. It's kind of half joking with Alicia rees On a few minutes ago talking property to actually if but say, yeah, you get the stadium deal, all done to pay car all said, and then the team just completely completely tanks because QB one goes down. Well, you know, if Joe Burrow hadn't gone to that's just cover, man. It's the fact that's structural that they're just not sound. The offensive line is terrible. They've got defense looked a lot better this week. I'll give him credit there, but I mean, let's just face it, that's not it's built around just Joe Burrow. Once that goes away, I don't know how much is that on Zach Taylor. And of course his play calling has been terrible too, so I don't know. You know, when we when Marvin Lewis got fires because people stop showing up the games, the stands looked completely full, and I would I don't know how packed. It's hard to say because a lot of was Detroit Lions fans. So if you have a good team coming in from out of market, they're gonna buy. They're gonna buy the tickets. They'll make money. So at the end of the day, that's that's what got Marvin out. I think Zach Taylor, I'd be surprised if anything happened anytime soon, because you know, he went to the super Bowl that they just going to the super Bowl. Hell, at this point, making the playoffs, we're going to the super Bowl, the playoffs. That buys you ten years for the brown for the Bengals, that buys you ten years. You're good, You've got some he's got some time. I'm not quite sure. We haven't named a quarterback yet. Oh, we got problems. We got problems. We'll see what happens. There's still be able convinced that they can still turn it around even without Joe Burrow. I don't know how you do that. I really really don't. Nonetheless, nonetheless, what else going on? Prime deals are back, I said they were. Just didn't they do a Prime Prime Day? You know Amazon Prime? Oh, I guess they're doing it again starting today tomorrow. Fourth time that they've done two member exclusive savings events in a single year. Why did they do that? Because last time one they raked in nine billion dollars in October from Prime Deals twenty twenty five nine billion dollar. Holy crap, last time it did is nine billion dollars. So yeah, I'd imagine they just continue to do this several times a year. If that's the case, so Prime days, baby, I know is when we moved into the new house, it was like a steady stream of Amazon trucks just dropping stuff off. I don't even want to know. I don't even want to look quite honestly, look at it, going how much money do we spend on it? Because you just need stuff? You need stuff? You know how things are always changing in America and for those like, oh my god, I just don't recognize America that's so supposed to be what happened yesterday becomes commonplace. What happened five, ten, fifty, teen years ago, of course, is ancient history. Nothing ever stays the same. We're always moving. And that's the challenge, of course. That's the appeal of conservatism and tradition, is that while we want things to stay the same and even still, nothing ever changed, and progressives, of course want a utopia that will never exist. And the older you get, it's supposed to feel more and more out of touch and this is really going to put it over the top. And if you thought are collective angst as a society, we've hit peak peak social And I read something the other day I think we hit peak social media. Maybe, but we're just starting. We're just starting the AI And you go, well, what do you mean. I can get on my phone and I have a chat GPT and I have claude, and I could have my dog playing piano and just tell them to take a photo, take up this image of me and make me dress me up like a a pelican that is dressed like they're in some fifth century court. And we can do that. I can make you look like a pelican wearing the outfit of a fifth century barrister. Okay, so what Well, there's a new one called Sora s O r A not Siri, not Soros, but Sora s o R and it's been topping Google's I'm sorry, it's Apple's App store charts for a few days now. The Biblimatter are the open AI folks who make chat GPTT and it's designed to be a midpoint for video. It's the social media feed. So you know social are we had peak social media? Yeah? Maybe, but we're not even beginning AI social media. What the hell is that? And this is what you need to know about. This is frightening if you are fear of change. So they make short videos kind of like TikTok, right, and it's it's in that way, but it's an interface that allows you to create videos and manufacture content literally without manufacturing the content. The AI does it. It's really really interesting and it's the only AI social media feed to launch in recent weeks. So sou all you need to do is install the app, obviously, but you use a text prompt to create any footage you can dream up with. So instead of going I'm gonna take this photo or this video and hey, can you doctor it up and make it look and then that doesn't quite right and you've got to go back and render it, this is just literally keystrokes. So you can upload images of yourselves, and you could take your likeness and voice, and you could put yourself into imaginary scenes. You can integrate fictional characters, your company logo, even dead celebrities. You can put whomever you want into these videos. And it's really really high quality. And here lies the rub. Now, keep in mind, right now, if you download and looked at it. It looked terrible, but that is because so many people are downloading on a daily basis. There's no way they can keep up with it because of bandwidth and everything else. But mark my words, what winds up happening is eventually their ecosystem can up and they're able to service all the people that want to use this. I mean, the early days of YouTube were terrible, but now YouTube is like its own network, basically the biggest network in the world's YouTube as far as content goes. So Sora, you just put keystrokes in and it'll come up with anything you want, just in time, by the way, for the next election. So what this means is more accurate and better deep fakes. I'm looking at it now. They have a and again, just a few keystrokes did this saying, hey make a guy. Take a guy at night and put him in a situation where he's stuffing drop boxes, and a few minutes later it spits out this very very realistic looking video looks like it's from a security camera of a guy wearing a mask, dressed in black, getting out of a van and taking a bunch of papers and stuffing them into a drop box in front of an election place and you look at that and you go, my god, that looks real. And what would happen is someone to see that, And of course it's spread on social and since to the naked eye, or even now experts are going, you know what, I can tell a little bit here and there, but by this time next year, I won't be able to tell unless we absolutely put it through its paces and break down each frame of the video and look at it in that fashion. But that takes time, that takes effort to be able to tell whether or not this is deep fake. By then, it's spread around the world and the image of this guy who is putting ballots into drop boxes has now been sent to grandma and grandpa and mom and dad and they believe it. So what does that mean? Well, that means now that we can be more manipulated than ever before, and not necessarily all in bad ways. There's probably some good in here too. But there's another one where they had a video of a bomb exploding city streets that was completely fabricated, and you can take that kind of thing and augment reality, and by the time anyone with any knowledge or ability is able to process a go nut was a fake. It's literally days or weeks later, and by then it's already been amplified and shared billions of times, millions of times. And now people are believing this alternate universe. And so if you thought we were divided before, and I think you know, this whole Charlie Kirk thing is evidence of that. You know, right now Conservatives Republicans are holding Charlie Kirk up like he's being nominated for sainthood at this point. And meanwhile, you know, a few months ago, how many people could really tell you who Charlie Kirk was. Now I'm not diminishing him at all, don't don't get me wrong, because he was significant in swinging the election Trump's way. There's no question about it as far as mobilizing young voters. But unless you're in that, you know that that twenty nine year old sweet spot, which most of us aren't, you probably had no idea what he did, or maybe you knew the name and kind of yeah, I've seen him before, I heard him talk and never maye listen to the podcast or whatever. And of course you know one she pass and especially in the fashion of which he died which was murdered assassinated. Your legend grows exponentially, and that's true, whether it's Charlie Kirk or it's I don't know, John F. Kennedy for that matter. The legend grows if you become a murder, which Charlie Kirk did. And so the end result here is that you wonder how many people are like Morning Lass and didn't really know who Charlie Kirk was or was about until he was he was executed, until he was assassinated, which is true, and so a lot of people followed him. You may go who and then they look at you like, how the hell do you not know who this is? Or this platform or this this app or this website or this chance whatever it is. We have all of this. It's become so fractured that people have their own realities and so, you know, there may be a news source or website and influencer whomever that I listened to or subscribe to that I would point out to you and go, what do you mean You know that is you must be the enemy. Then you have no idea what you're talking about, because there's just so many of them out there. And so we have this this, this whole separatize, separate. I guess information sources out there and whether they're credible or tur or not. This just adds to it. So you could take a lot of this information that's going to be coming out, a lot of this disinformation. And if we know about this too, I'm not even talking about you know what, all the Russians and Chinese get ahold of the stuff, what they're going to do with it and throw it back in our face, and it's just going to feed the narrative. And we're going to be fed a lot of fake news to the point where we're not going to be to tell what's real and what's fake. And we're all going to be living in these alternate spheres in universes. I don't know what that means for the future, not for elections or anything else, but you know, if there are countless echo spheres out there where you're being fed a steady diet and stuff because of the algorithms, and hey, you know what, I saw this guy stuffing ballot boxes and it's real. I tell you it's real because I was told by someone it's real, even though you know they may be using that for disinformation I don't know who to believe anymore. I can't trust the you know, the the traditional news outlets and a martlook what they've done. And now we have this whole wild wild west of information and disinformation out there. We're not going to know who to believe and up from down at this point certainly not going to be good.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, there's some other things in there that they're trying to block out. Any misuse of children or images and likenesses of children, which is gonna be a really interesting First Amendment debate. There's one where you can't use the likeness of like for example, they said, we tried to produce a video of President Trump or other world leaders to create a but we can't do it. We can't will not let us take an image of a active politician or someone like that and try to alter what they're saying. However, they did. I think this is maybe the New York Times that did this. They created a political route with attendees wearing blue and holding signs about rights and freedoms, and sore produced a video featuring the voice of President Barack Obama, so it kind of cut you could sort of look like Obama as they pan across the crowd, and it was his voice. It sounds exactly like him but talking about this, and so you can do things like that where it's like a subtle influence. I mean, the whole thing is fascinating where it's headed. But I guess from a consumption standpoint, it seems to me that if we have something like Sora, and eventually if it works, who knows, I'd imagine it would is more and more people download. It's going to take a long time, though, I think for it to get better, simply because of the demand that's out there with people like me talking about or you may download her to look at and go check this out. It's terrible. What's Sloan talking about? It's not today, it's tomorrow. Because eventually it's going to get that good. If you can create this, I guess in a laboratory at this point and say hey, here's a great example of how we can do this. Once they're able to work around all the demand for it, it'll catch up. It'll take some time, but I'll be here sooner before you know it. I just wonder, though, if like you know, you look at it. I don't know, what's your favorite show. What do you watch? Is it a comedy? Is it maybe like my webspit's a lot of time watching TikTok videos, but that's like user created content and stuff, right. I wonder what happens to regular television show, your favorite shows, talking head shows. It might be it could be a comedy, it could be romance, drama, cop shows.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Isn't this just going to be able to replicate and create shows with no actors or actresses whatsoever, just AI images and then if you found something you really really liked, I mean, you know, it could become a series and there's no actors, No one's going to go on strike. You don't have to pay anybody, you don't need all that behind the scenes. You're not shooting any video, you're not having to go out on location. You're just going, hey, make me a story about I don't know, because you know what we need. We need other New York Chicago or LA based cop show. That's what we need. You turn on network TV. It's reality shows and it's like, Okay, I've got either Chicago Ems, I've got New York Police, or I've got LA Fire. There are pretty much shows that scripted shows that are on TV, right, I can't you just do this with AI. It's like literally Hollywood is screaming for AI to take over Final We'll create show. We can create a show on Mars if we wanted to. And I wonder what the level AI with The writing is pretty damn good. AI can write, you know, write you a pretty good cover letter, a resume, interview, questions, interview answers. You can do all this stuff in augmented reality. On AI. I'm pretty sure it can write a pretty damn good script, comedy, drama or otherwise. And so now all of a sudden, that device in your hand, I is opposed to just use your creative content and TikTok videos. Now there's actual programming on there. There's decent quality AI produced content, scripted well not even I guess it would be scripted, but AI's I mean, just think about that. What would that do then? Is by the way, I've got CNN on one monitor and we've got Fox News on another monitor, and I'm looking at Bill Hemmer, for example, talking about the Chicago mayor re establishing is zones, and I went in the future, if we are all in this, I guess the silo of information and disinformation? Does that go away? Do we just have like AI generated news shows that they can come up with guests and talking heads and do shows based on fake news? And I wont as I watch a show going I don't know who this guy is, but I really really like him. These interview questions and the guests, it's absurd. And yeah, it's all done by AI. It's all scripted, it's all imaginary, and you wonder how many people will be able to tell the real from the fact. I mean that's you know, certainly, your your TV shows, your streaming shows are one thing, but you're not going to need the actors and actresses anymore. They're going to be completely AI before too long. I mean, it seems like to me that would be gone. Imagine imagine creators and content. You could create shows like that. You're not paying you're not paying the other overhead for studios or shooting or movies or you know, you're not shooting on film or digital video. There's no editing, there's no people working behind the scenes. It's just like someone with some ideas and you put it in an AI. All of a sudden, we've got programming out I mean that's kind of frightening, right because talk about you know, in institutions that are following we've already seen journalism or as the state of journalism right now. It's not very good. That's going to road this even more because you know what, the fake stuff, the AA stuff is going to be more entertaining the news now, and let's face it, a lot of the news that we consume is entertainment based Fox and CNN. It's like radio talk show with pictures. I just see AI, if this indeed is where we're headed with this thing, and if it gets really really good, I just think people are going to be instead of watching NBCCBS, Fox, CNN, whatever it might be, it'll just be whatever AI is fabricating that day, and we'll be living in a fake universe as far as our information entertainment goes. If we're not already, it's crazy to think about where this might be headed. Anyway, Now they're scared the crap body, and I think, you know, more a okay show, I'm gonna watch some strict Have AI write me some cop show only with like naughty bits in it or something like that. Okay, that's one thing, but you know now we have fake news, and we have like AI generated fake news that people go, I know it's fake, but I like it anyway. That's where we're headed. That's sobering. Af let me get a news update in when we continue the reality of politics. I mean, Kevin Burton is here, he's right over the river and coming to his political strategies with Crosstown Consulting where he's the head there. And the issue of populism is interesting. Was the Trump swept in on a way? The populism? You wonder where the Democrats are with this? A new survey came out. I'll share the numbers within the second. It's kind of sobering. And the Republicans and Trump look like they're underwater and a lot of things until you look at the numbers of Democrats are putting up and then you go, holy crap. They're literally it's like they're the Bengals of politics right now. And if you're if you're high five and thinking that's a good thing for Republicans, I don't know if it is. Because I'm a firm believer. And now about you that you know, if you have a good opposition party, it's going to make the party in power a little bit stronger, looking over their shoulder a little bit. There's no more reason to look over your shoulder. God help us what they get away with it really is a mess. But what's going to happen over the next few years relative to demographics and kind of what we're talking about here, I'll get to Kevin just add right after news update on this wet Tuesday morning, Scotslon Show continues on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WWT. Since snap don't want to be an American Scott clone show, this is seven hundred WLWT. The Dems are in very big trouble because said the Dems, and opposition to Trump from within the GOP starting to take shape for twenty twenty eight. We'll get into that more in just a segment with Kevin Burton from Crosstown Advisors as a political strategist and some of like only thirty five percent of respondents a new poll said they approved of Trump's management of the economy. This aren't good numbers, and that is a similar number to those who approve moved to the economy under Biden. So as far as the average voter goes the only so much of a difference between what Biden's doing or did and what Trump's doing right now. But so, okay, so how is that a fa how's that a failure for Democrats? Well, thirty five percent said Trump is doing a good job manage in the economy. Less than one in four think that the Democrats have a better plan, something like twenty four percent, So that's an eleven point swing. Kevin Burton's I mentioned Crosstown Advisors over Northern Kentucky's a political strategist. Good to have you back, Kevin Haw's life.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Scott All's good. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Can't complain rocking and rolling. So I think this is interesting because the US government shutdown is happening under Republican control, and the Conservatives have blamed Democrats for it, and it's not sticking. And the reason maybe it's not sticking is because it's about healthcare. Now, back to that poll, the only area where DEM's score higher would be women's rights, environment and healthcare. If you think about it, you know women are doing better than men on paper, certainly, and especially younger women, so there's really no political leverage there. The environment is kind of a fickle thing always has been in America because you're not going to buy the chicken that's more eco friendly because it's a dollar fifty more than regular ass chicken. And inflation is killing you right now. So environment is a great first world problem, and when you feel like maybe you're getting third world income, you don't care about it as much anymore. So that just leaves healthcare. Is that what's going on here with the shut down?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean healthcare is honestly the one thing that Democrats just if you look for really since people started really knowing what Obamacare was and that I've been there consistent winning issue, and you know, it's pretty easy to show, like if your premiums go up or down. So for the Democrats, that makes total sense to the wall in on this because healthcare in this country is ridiculous. I don't care who you are. That's a messageous, it's a mess. We're the world's the greatest superpower, but we can't figure out healthcare.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: So for for the Dems who miss you know, who controls the House, the Senate, the President are all Republicans, and in THEA in thirteen months from now, you can say, hey, I fought for your healthcare. I fought to keep the prices low. Because to your point, they're struggling on every other messaging. So for the Dems, it makes total sense to go all in on to protect the A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I mean, you think about it, it makes it healthcare affordable. Well that hell, it's not affordable. It's the problem. And you look at it empirically, Kevin, as you know, and this is outside of maybe you know, political strategy here, but the harsh realities, the fact that it's got to be subsidized for it to be affordable, which total he underminds the idea that it's affordable in the first place, maybe affordable to someone who's benefiting from it, but the overall it's it's that the prices are to control and this just adds to it.
Speaker 5: It is just a complete and total mess, you know, And it's something that what's interesting is, do you know Richard Nixon was the first person to propose universal health care in this country, So you know, and I remember when in the Trump's first term, Obama said, rename it trump Care. I don't I don't care if it keeps people and this kind of leads to the populism movement that you're seeing with even like MPG and people on the lap that you know, Israel has universal health care and we're giving them money. I mean, we have so many problems in this country that we're not taking care of our own. And it's really what Trump hit on with his American First policy and why he really won this selection, because people are tired of the status.
Speaker 2: Well, yet at the same time it feels like the status quote, doesn't it and does that now there's a long time between now in twenty twenty eight, does that populism start to backfire? I mean we're starting to see I don't know if it's cracks as much. Ted Cruz looks like he is trying going to make another run here. He is runner up in twenty sixteen, and we'll see what happens in twenty twenty eight. But it's like that's starting to call us, like, you know, the neocons are back, because it's like, hey, remember us over here, We're not as crazy and you know, we're not saying, we're not trotting out Robert Kennedy Junior saying and seeing things about Taylan Hall, and we're not shooting ourselves on the foot every other day and just doing wild buck ass wild stuff. We're like, hey, you know, we're gonna do conservative stuff, but it's not going to be the day to day swings and the craziness that we're seeing right now. I know that numbers and this is where you come in. Polling from this past month found that thirty three percent of adults age eighteen to twenty nine approved of his handling Trump's handling of deportation immigrations. Sixty seven percent disapproved. And that's interesting because you know, with the murder of Charlie Kirk, Trump won the last election because of the young vote turn ups for the young men, and you look at that and you go wow, even podcasters are now starting to maybe turn a little bit towards him in many areas. I wonder if that continues, and if so, what does.
Speaker 5: That mean, Well, if he loses that faith that he's the magnavement is just done to your point, and they really propelled why Trump won last election that the young men, the podcast I'm gonna call him the podcast bros. They came out and drove and to his credit, he saw the first avenue of go beyond everything and be you know on the podcast. But the problem is for the eighteen to twenty nine year olds, they can't afford houses. American dream is dead for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when Trump first ran, he was populism, he was outside the status quo. Well he is the swamp now he is. I mean, he's been ingrained in American politics. If you're a thirty year old, thing about it your whole half of your whole adult life. Trump has been the dominating force in the Republican Party. So that's the fact that Ted Cruz is looking at and you know, to do an exploitatory committee because you're banking on if everything goes the same, he doesn't have an avenue to be president. If it gets a little bit worse, he does because like if Trump's new numbers approved, it's going to be JD. Vans or Marco Rubio because they're vice president sectary of state.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the.
Speaker 5: Passing of the tour. If their numbers not increasing, it goes down. Similar to like George Bush Dick Cheney that you had to have a normal and I'm doing are quotes around normal Republican run. You know, that's the avenue and it's all about matchups. So you know, you still have to see what the Democrats are going to do on their side, which they are so lost and disorganized.
Speaker 2: Right now, right that's the problem. Yeah, it feels like we're splitting hairs over the Republicans. Like Vance is the front runner, he's like pulling it like forty six almost fifty percent behind. In the closest one I think is vivik Is is twelve percent, so it's not even close, and then cruises even on the radar at this point. Now they could change. There's name recognition, he's in a big state like Texas. A lot of fundraising is critical. We'll see, and that's still a few years away. But yeah, there's some there's some cracks are starting to show here. And I think, you know, if you start losing the young vote because they are promised they're virsion of the American dream and they're going to be rich and plentiful, and hey, we're going to come in and we're going to fix healthcare and we're gonna do all these wonderful things and we're gonna it's gonna rain money and everyone's gonna be wealthy. And it's not happening, and it's getting worse actually, with inflation that starts to expose things. Then you add in the Epstein stuff that was a big turnout machine for him, and he's going to expose all this and he said, hey, nothing to see here. There's definitely opportunity. But the problem is this, the Democrats are so far out in the woods they can't even they can't even come up with a plan here, or at least a candidate and idea. They're grasping and shutting the government down and trying to save us money and get money back. Meanwhile, it's costing us what a trillion and a half dollars for a seven week extension for continuing resolutions. Basically means it's going to cost us an extra one and a half trillion dollars just to pump the football for seven weeks so they can pump the football again. It's insane. That's how far gone this whole thing is. They're clutching at the one thing they have, healthcare and trying to build around that. Well, they're gonna get a lot better plan than that. To your point, Bernie Sanders has come outed and introduced an oyster farmer. People are talking about socialism and oyster farmers. Now I don't know what the hell's going on all love.
Speaker 5: Well, so the grand planner guy you were talking about, and that's kind of where we were talking about the populism, he's gone up like gangbusters because the main governor was going to announce that she was going to run for Senate. Well, now it's actually a fight because he has kind.
Speaker 2: Of gone viral for lack of a better term.
Speaker 5: And his whole messages. In nineteen ninety there were one hundred billionaires. Today there are eight hundred. Are you eight times than you were in nineteen ninety? And that's a message that resonates to a lot of people. So it's gonna be very interesting to see which avenue comes back to the middle and which avenue stays for the populism movement. Because one thing that we didn't talk about for the eighteen to thirty year olds is a save act. You know, we haven't and I'm gonna say we Basically, if you're forty and under, you haven't made student en payment since COVID, what's gonna happen when those bills are due? And that's gonna hurt Trump's numbers even more so for the Dems. You know, it's so similar to twenty sixteen. You know, they just had a complete bottom out. And there's two avenues you can do. You can do what they did after the Reagan Bush era, moved to the center, you know, a Bill Clinton new type of Democrat, or you do the other which is the AOC, the Bernie Sanders, and you go far left. So we'll have to wait and see it.
Speaker 2: He is a Kevin Burton polster and political strategist with Crosstown Consulting that's right over the river in Kentucky. You're talking about what's happening with these new poles that are coming out. The DEM's in a lot of trouble right now, way underwater and a lot of area is the only one is healthcare that they're above water and that we care about, and that is what is driving the government shutdown right now because they can plan a flag and build around It's about politics, of course. It's not about trying to get insurance to people. It's not about trying to protect people. It's more of the same. We're gonna spend more money to try and win an election. And by the way, we're over thirty seven trillion dollars in debt. Now it's another trillion and a half to keep things going for seven weeks, so we can do this exercise all over again. And this is setting up, of course, what's going to happen in twenty twenty eight, which feels light years away, but it's really not. Republicans seem to have it. Sodo put jad Vance as the front runner, but that could all change because there's a anti populist movement going on. Ted Cruz is trying to bring the neo cons back to relevancy, and we'll see what happens over the next couple of years if they can actually pull that one out. But you know, you talk about left wing populism, and I think for a lot of people listening, it seems like it's, you know, that's just socialism as what it is, not not really, So what is a We know what a right wing populist is, it's Donald Trump. What's a left wing populist?
Speaker 5: Well that's a good question, And I mean, what's what happens when if if they get elected, how far do they have to come back to the middle. You know, I would argue that Biden was probably the most progressive president since LBJ, and so I would I would think that a populous president, you know, an AOC or a Bernie Sanders type, it's going to be even It's gonna be very similar to the probably FDR's Great Society, you know, the New Deal or not New Deal LBJ.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So I think it's stuff, Yeah, because I think they need to get back to basically kitchen cabinet issues, which frankly, they've gotten so far in the weeds. Listen, we get it that you don't like Trump. A lot of people don't like Trump, but Trump at least has a message that people knows where he stands. The Democrats have just been in such you know, disarray for people who like he's been like they're fanos, like he just has wiped them out and they have no idea how to come back to it, and how disorganized they are. You're leaving an avenue for that populism movement, very similar to twenty sixteen, when you know, you had everyone running for president and then you had this one business TV star who just had that avenue to the plurality, and it could very well happen on the left of time.
Speaker 2: I think The outlier here though, is the demographic shift in America. Of course, that line is always moving Kevin Burton, and it's always lear In the next election, we're going to be a lot greyer, We're going to be a lot more diverse. That means that the younger vote is going to have a lot more power. And what does said that mean for the GOP? What does that mean for Republicans?
Speaker 5: Well, so you know, Democrats were banking on that whole series since twenty sixteen. But don't have a good candidate, you still can lose, you know, And like the Hispanic vote is not one and the same. They have different beliefs, you know, and that's for everyone, So I get it. Yeah, So the real thing that I would really look at is for Democrats is actually kind of getting harder and harder because Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin are actually getting redder. And so for them to gain back to two seventy, they have to really see the college educated increase in Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, and the white whale for Democrats have been for for thirty years of Texas, that's really their avenue because we've seen it in Indiana, We've seen it in Ohio. The Midwest has gone pretty far to the right, and I think you're going to see that continuation. And the three Roust Belt states that always.
Speaker 2: Decide the election interesting well, a lot going to change day to day, week to week, month to month, and certainly by the time twenty twenty eight rolls around. But it's going to be interesting the population shift and who takes advantage of that. I mean, Trump was brilliant and spotting the young, the young male vote predominantly white men, and he did really well with black men too for that matter. Wonder where that's going to be in twenty twenty eight, and you know, someone who leans to the right certainly. I just think that an opposing party and the Democrats, you have to have a better version of what they've offered now for the last two well maybe even more than two election cycles, simply because it makes the other party stronger. You know, having a weak Democratic party is not good if you have conservative views and beliefs. You have to have someone who's a strong opposition. And who knows, we may see the second coming of Bill Clinton coming along.
Speaker 5: I don't know, well, And competition is always good and anything, and you know, the Democrats have been basically the Cleveland Browns lately, and everything, everything they do is just Charlie Brown football, you know, and so until they get a unified message, and you know, and that was probably the Kammon of the biggest problem is that she didn't have competition. And competition and primaries sharpens your skills. It lets things out already, you know, to the public, so you can craft those messages that you know how to counter it. So on either side, you want a competitive primary because you want to give the American people a choice, and it sharpens your skills for the candidates.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes a country better too. I mean, look at look look at how deep Blue Hamlet County is, and look at the leadership and the lack they're off there. You look at the state of Ohio and look at how many things the voters approved in the legislators said, now we're in the majority, we're going to do what we want anyway. That's the problem. He is Kevin Burton, political strategist, Crosstown Consulting in Northern Kentucky. Thanks again, Kevin, great to check in with you.
Speaker 5: Thanks Scott.
Speaker 2: And the reason why I think you know, the certainly that they're focusing on healthcare. The one area where Democrats gore ion is and we think about twenty twenty eight. You know that thirty year old who's going to be thirty four years old in the next election, tired of waiting for healthcare to come to them as fear and fear of people become insured, and so you're going to have to That may be the huge issue for twenty twenty eight. We'll see a lot's happens sight now and then run and late. Of course. Scott flown Show continues afternoons on seven hundred WWE. Slooney back on seven hundred WLW. Just said Kevin Burton on with Crosstown Consultants. Hees a political analyst, Polster and the like. A lot of local and regional issues too as well, and the issue about populism fading. But I want to get back to the big story, of course, that everyone's talking about. That'd be the government shutdown. I don't know, you know, it's not fair to say it's the biggest story because I think property taxes affect more people in Ohio and certainly Kentucky, Indiana. We have went. Yeah, those are the pocketbookations that we all feel. But you know the big news store of course, oh the government shut down and they we're so close last night. We need more votes and what can be done? And Kevin is on and pointing out to point it out and agreeing rightly, so is the theater of this whole operation that both sides need this trauma to continue to do what they do, and that is be largely and grossly inefficient and incompetent. I'll get to that in just a second, but pointing out the you know, the infighting with Republicans and you know Trump, and we're getting people are getting burned out with the Trump stuff, and it's just a constant, steady drum beating. The guy does more than six months, and most presidents do in two terms. But there's also a burnout factor, right, there's a real exhaustion factor with us where we just tune it out and don't pay attention as much anymore, and then only when something outrageous is said or done or perceived to be done, then you know, it gets suck backed into the cycle. And so it goes for most average people who don't follow this stuff day to day, and that closely and probably even worse if you do follow this stuff closely, the fact of the matter is Democrats and a lot of trouble because they're underwater and all the important things. You know, for example, the economy. You know, you can criticize, and rightly so, the tariffs, but you know, when you're eleven points under Trump when it comes to how they would handle the economy, that's that's terrible. The only thing they're ahead on is and then I think the only critical thing they're had on is healthcare. And we know the healthcare system in America has broken, long since been broken. It doesn't work for anybody. And of course we on one side wants the government to completely and utterly take it over. And then the other side is like, well, you know, it's then you're going to socialize men. We can have socialists. And even though we you know, we have a lot of socialist policies that Republicans agree with, it's still the perception that socialized medicine's going to destroy things and you're going to take it away, You're going to steal my healthcare. Well, if you're when the dwindling numbers of Americans in healthcare works for for you and you vote, you're going to be strongly against any idea like that. But you know, as younger people get more power at the ballot box and realize the importance of showing up to elections and doing all that, then I think you're gonna see the pendulum swing. What that's going to look like in the future, I don't know. But the fact the matter remains is that the one issue that Democrats score higher on than Republicans or than Trump is I guess in this case would be healthcare, which is exactly why they're holding holding things hostage because I think they knew that Americans and not all Americans, were talking about those who are pull those are surveyed in the polls, right, Because that's what you go with, is that Americans believe that Democrats are better on healthcare. Well, if you frame this soul shutdown about trying to protect your health care, naturally they're going to side with Democrats on that not knowing the facts. So what's going on makes sense human nature and politicians from both sides of the aisle, they make their money by the rest of us being ignorant. I mean, if you look at Obamacare, for as long as it's been around, it's what twenty fourteen. Well, we know it's been a dog, it's been a little it's been a money loser. You know, the prime premiums go up, millions of people lose their health insurance despite the promises they would not, and Americans buying large look at it favorably. And that is because the subsidies keep coming. You know, under Joe Biden, he had to use COVID as a cover to fund more money, take more subsidy to prop a Blabamacare. Well that's long since gone. That's long since gone. And the reality is we're subsidies in the house. So you know, is it affordable. Yeah, but again, if you take our taxpayers from from Trey A and shuffle to Trey C in order to pay for this stuff, it's not really cheap. It's extremely expensive, and fear and fear of people are being insured as results. So I put out the subsidy difference. We'll get into this maybe next hour in this because I think it's just so critical. But the idea here that we're going to shut the government down, I'm Democrats of this. Comings Hey, the one issue that Americans are going to sile and will be healthcare. So it looks like we're trying to save Obamacare safe healthcare and keep twenty two million people from being affected by this. We're going to look like heroes, and so far people are buying it. But you know the other elements here too that we keep missing. And this whole thing is the theater of shutting government down. As I pointed out, it's going to cost us well over a trillion dollars to shut things down, to basically shut this thing down. But it's gonna cost an extra twillion and a half dollars to patch this thing over so we can kick the can down the road to what's seven more weeks? So this would extend things for seven weeks. Okay, great, you get to carry trillions of dollars, more money, more and more money, more subsidy. And what happens is this thing just prolongs the agony to continuing resolution will only go for another seven weeks. So it's costing us more money. We got to borrow more money, We've got to sink further in debt in order to extend the budget for another seven weeks. Why don't we just settle this thing now, Why don't we just get this thing done?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: We can't do that because we have to hold people hostage any idea. And we hear stories about individuals who work for the government, federal employees who are concerned about whether their next check is coming. What about them? And there's numbers of them that have to show up to work and not get paid. At some point, you will, you'll be made whole. It always happens, and it may be a week, at maybe two and maybe a month. And unfortunately, because of the economics of life, is that a lot of people don't have that kind of money in reserve. And unlesson as well, you should have that. Yeah, I mean it's easy to say that if you're not in a good position, but most people don't. And that's the reality of So who gets hurt in this Some federal employees. But yeah, if you can tough it out for another week or so, it'll probably come to a conclusion. The fact the matter remains, as I put us before, to put this all in perspective, that only about eight percent of the federal budget is currently not funded because of the shutdown. Those are this will be the non essential departments. It's only eight percent. The other ninety two percent of government seems to be essential. And whether it's a Democrat or Republican a shutting thing down, they still agree that ninety two percent of government, ninety two percent is essential. So I'll put it back to my Republican friends, my MAGA friends, my Dozehrens. Sounds kind of phony to say, hey, we're going to shut government down and only non essential people are going to get furlized. So ninety two percent of government's essential. That kind of undermines everything you're about. And the essential parts would be defense, it'd be veterans, affairs, and health and human services, and education and labor and energy, and air traffic controllers and TRENT to the TSA and customs, and that sounds like a lot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting too. I think about twenty five percent of the FAA is affected by this, which should cause just enough disruption for someone to notice we have a and on that point, you know, just enough to be uncomfortable. I just saw a story pop up on Fox News here as I was talking about this, actually right before I was talking about this, there's an airport in California, Burbank, California, where no, they had absolutely no air traffic controls on the job. I don't know how big a field Burbank is. I mean, we know Burbank because of you know TV and like Burbank, California. But I don't know how big a field that is. But it's just you know, it's again, it's just enough to scare you go, oh my god, they don't have air traffic control to show up to the airports. Oh it's Burbank, California. You know the majority of the airfields. And I'm not talking about airports like CVG and Dayton and Indianapolis and Columbus and the light and I'm talking about your fields like you Oh hey, there's you know, general aviation out there, there's somebody in there. Most of those. Most of those aren't aren't. There's no one there most of the time. It's all like remote You could trigger the lights to come out automatically, basically if you're flying a plane at night. The bigger ones with passenger assure a different story. But okay, so they don't have air traffic control. Sturt in a couple hours in Burbank. And so again it's that just enough to cause you to notice, to make a headline. Hey, you're still gonna get your student loan, you're gonna get your Social Security, you're gonna get your your subscription for where, your prescription and for whatever, and your subscription to your prescription for plavix or whatever the hell it is. It's kind of you know, I don't know. The Constitution says, hey, you know, we have to pay our congress people, our senators. They're going to make X amount. That's that's written in the concourse, that's written in the constitution. Can't change that. But you have so long ago, if you know, if you stop their healthcare benefits, their benefits, their entitlements, you wonder how many times they shut the government down. I'm just saying. I'm not saying. I'm just saying, like, of of a sudden, people in the executive people, the legislative branch, they wait to hold on, hold on, just so I can't go to the I think I was supposed to have a teeth cleaning. I got to I got my teeth cleaning. Later to say, you mean I can't I got to pay for that, my oh no, no, no, no, no no. It could be a entirely different story if they were affected by this in some degree. But you know, a lot of this is protected by the Constitution and all on all. The bottom line is this is nothing. It's a temper tantrums.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 2: We wound our outrage for our cause, not outrage at the system that encourages it. Now, if you really want to feel the pain, you know the other this is cutting off their benefits. But if you started monkeying with under a Medicare and social security, now all of a sudden, people are gonna be angry. We can't have that. We want you sort of like, oh my god, government shut down. How does it affect me? Well, we're not quite sure. You're absolutely sure. It's most Americans, most people, almost all people. It's not gonna affect you at all. Okay, So there's a national park that's closed. Well, the grass is getting pretty high around here. That's about it, you know, that's why they close the non essential what's the parks, museums. It's a good visual. The illustration is, I don't know. I show up to a place and I've got to I know, I have business with them. I look and man, there's nobody. The receptions are receptionists. There's no one in the lights are off it. But I see people in the background. It's kind of like the same thing, like the receptionist has the day off, the receptionist desk is closed and the lights are off, but everyone else behind the scenes like that's they're still doing stuff.
Speaker 3: I'd mean, like.
Speaker 2: I walk in and Ronald McDonald is laid off, he's furloughed. They're still making burgers though, oh yeah, yeah, we're still We're still making burgers. But the clown, the clown's furloughed. Oh okay, got it. Basically what this is and it's a shutdown, is simply that is that like democrats are going, Look, the only issue we got right now is healthcare. The only one that people trust us on is toing. And our plan is really to take piles of money, more money than is needed, and subsidize it from Pile A and move it over to Pile B or C. And it makes it look like like health insurance is affordable for folks. And I granted people in my family like this. If you don't have health care and you need healthcare, which we all do, you don't care where the money's coming from. You don't care that it's bankrupting a marria. You don't care about that because you need to get your kid at the doctor. You need the office, is it or maybe someone in your family sick. God forbid. We shouldn't vilify people for that. The people are on it, like we need healthcare. And we know that in America unless you work for a big, big comp I mean, I'm fortune. I work for a big company right now and they have great health insurance. But most businesses, and we're talking to the engine drives America, the economy is small business. So people who employ one hundred and ninety nine folks or less. We've seen over the decades and over the last few years, for that man, a lot of number has been dwindling. I might spell a fall like a rock, the number of small businesses that can afford healthcare insurance. And so at some point you think it's all going to tip in the balance, it's going to go the other way where we have younger voters, as we talked about Kevin, who are going to be more impactfully. You know, with each following election, older Americans have become less relevant. We age out, and we start to notice that around the time you start to get the AARP things and the mailbox are going a wait, a minute I'm thirty five, I'm forty years old, They're send me AARP stuff. Yeah, you're starting to get on the radar, man. And if you've ever turned on any on a traditional streaming or TV as we used to call it back in the day, turnt show, I don't understand any of this, I don't understand it. Or you turn on I don't know a music. I don't understand. I don't know who the music is. You're not supposed to. It's built for an entirely different generation. But the closer you get to sixty five and eventually beyond from a political standpoint, from a marketing standpoint, the less relevant we have Each day we age past the age of well up until about fifty to fifty four years old. After that we become more and more irrelevant. That's just the way it has always been that way, myself included. Now, you do have some sway politically when it comes to showing up to vote, because generally older you are, the more skin you have in the game, the more you're paying attention, and the more time you have for that matter to be out and be active and go vote. But you know, as we start to die off, as baby movers are sposal to start to die off. That means a younger generation that is going to be millennials and gen zers now are voting, and it's going to change. I think at some point in our lifetime, at least in my lifetime, we're going to see medicine become more socialized. Like eventually, it's going to have to change because no one wants it. Like right, it's a pain in the butt to use. If you're an employer, you spend a ton of money and effort. Every well Benefits season's about to kick off, and where they do. They kick the tires on the plan, going how can we save money? Should we jump from should we be blue cross and blue shiels? Should we go to university to unc? Should we go? You know, and you start looking for alternatives there simply because you're trying to keep the rates to the cost down. It costs too much money and the cost of compliance is too much. A doctor's office, you go in there and there's seven people behind the desk. One of them have anything to do with your healthcare. The rest are you know, trying to figure out medical billing, coding and things like that. The whole industry is propped up that way, kind of like taxes are, right, you can need an army of accountants. The more money you make to figure out what the hell, how the hell I'm going to pay ten and what all this means? I can't figure it out myself and then make it complicated on purpose. It's the bureaucracy, and it's the red tape that keeps some of these folks employed. So businesses don't want that. The only one people want it would be the insurance companies and government. And this is the issue. So anyway, government continues to shut down. And if you don't believe me on any of this stuff, all you have to do is look at the markets. When this thing first broke, I said, I get you. You got to look at it, and really markets haven't changed all the much. We'll have Andy Schaeffer from all Worth Financial on about eleven thirty five. We'll talk about this a little bit more, because Wall Wall Street has baked this in already, going, yeah, we shut the government down what every ten minutes on the tens and if it goes more than you know, a month, then we start to pay attention because it's going to start to affect things but we're a long way away from that right now. Just remember eight percent, all of this shutdown business, all of the theatrics, all of the theater, it's all over eight percent of the government.
Speaker 3: That's all it is.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Let's get a news update in and more to follow at eleven oh seven. On that note, Demian Brady's here from the National Taxpayers Union. Who really wins the government shutdown? We'll talk about that next on seven hundred WLWT, Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: My keyword on our website shaty. That's shack You enter.
Speaker 4: It now, american'slny backtown seven hundred Wowan.
Speaker 2: We're almost into the second full week tomorrow, the first quite the second full week of shutdown theater despite talks yesterday. Oh we're so close, are you? Dems are holding out for COVID era tax subsidies for Obamacare and the credits that are scheduled to expire at the end of this year. Do you know where that money goes if it's successful? You know who is going to benefit the most if the Democrats get their way. Damian Brady is here with the National Taxpayers Union, which is an adevacy group for national taxpayers, which is all of Us Damian, welcome back.
Speaker 5: How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm doing well?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 3: How were you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, although I'm sick to see that the national debt as well well, over thirty seven trillion dollars now and in exchange for about seven weeks of funding. Uh, this is going to cost us about another trillion and a half dollars. So the fiscal malpractice continues, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean here we are.
Speaker 6: This is the twent the first government shutdown since the modern budget system was set up. You know, it's clearly busted. Uh, it's not working for taxpayers. We have politicians who aren't acting responsibility. There's a simple deal there to continue funding through most of November, and they continue to hammer out the final funding deal for the next fiscal year, which which has already started. And yeah, everything is being held up because the Democrats want to continue this program that was created on a temporary basis and it's super expensive and it should just be allowed to inspire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a making it makes health care affordable. Wait a minute, now, this is about getting money for more subsidy. So if you have to subsidize something, it doesn't make it cheaper.
Speaker 6: No, especially when it's coming out of the taxpayers pocket. And there's lots of problems with with this program. So yeah, So the subsidies are created for Obamacare, which mandated, you know, all these requirements that have to be covered in healthcare policies, and it set up these exchanges within the states. And it's not very it's not very costly. I mean, it's not very cheap. It's very expensive. It requires there's already a subsidy that was created in the original law, so that during the pandemic, while the Democrats had control of the White House, the House of Representatives, and the Senate, they created this special plus up subsidy for the Obamacare subsidies, which went well above the poverty line, made a lot more people eligible for it very expensive, and they created it on a short term basis. Before it was set to expire. They extended it again in the so called Inflation Reduction Act, and it's supposed to expire at the end of this fiscal year, at the end of this calendar year. But yeah, the Democrats want to keep the subsidy going because Obamacare is just not a very good program. It needs all these subsidies. But we shouldn't be embedding all the spending into the budget. We should let these expire and get tax players a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this conversation with Demian Brady National Textpayers, and it's not a referendum on our healthcare system. Are our healthcare system is jacked. It's it's it's horrible for everybody. That's not what we're debating. We're talking about holding the government up the costings, some of the trillion and a half dollars to kick the can for another seven weeks so we can do this all over again and shut it down over something else, but largely its healthcare, because that is the one issue that Democrats are above water on and hold like an eleven point lead over Trump on everything else, the economy, defense, you name it, outside of I think the environment, in women's rights, they're underwater on. And if it's the one thing that you can hey, well, Democrats are good on healthcare. Let's let's shine a light on that. Let's make an issue. And this doesn't solve the problem because it's not like the Republicans have a better alternative to what we're doing right now. And that's that's the rub. You know, this is all about subsy So this Obamacare subsidies so it can be affordable for the regular man and woman, which I get. You don't care if you don't have health insurance. You just want someone to pay for it. But the problem is it doesn't work. Let me use an illustration and tell me if I'm right or wrong about this daming. So let's go to colle let's talk about when we all own subsidy of college. Right, and so the government says, hey, everyone goes to college. It's going to be great. And you know, we've got these loans and these programs, and you go to school and whether or not you finish, it doesn't matter. You've still got to pay us back at some point. We're going to get our money back. We're going to subsidize college. We're going to continue to ask for more and more money to make college more affordable. And it seems like the more subsidy you give universities and colleges, the more they raise tuition. It just keeps going up and up, or at least it did anyway. Isn't that what the problem is with healthcare is we continue to subsidize it, and therefore insurers just continue to do well, we'll just we're just going to continue to take more money, make more profit. Is the same Is it the same thing?
Speaker 6: Pretty much as a vicious spiral. There's no intensives control costs because they know politicians are going to come in and and them buckets of money of taxpayer dollars, so they have no incentive to control their costs. And this is the problem, especially with these Obamacare subsidies, is that they're very complex. There's lots of improper payments. So at the beginning of the year, taxpayer estimates how much they are going to earn that year, and then the payments are set up in advance and they go directly to the healthcare insurance companies in these marketplaces, and then when you pay your taxes, then you have to reconcile it. So a lot of people's incomes turns out to be different than what they estimated, so a lot of that money has to be clawed back, and it's it's very complex. It's a big burden on the government, and it's also a very expensive refundable credit, which means if refundable credits are credits, you can get well above and beyond any tax income tax that you owe. So it's basically just a welfare program run by the Internal Revenue Service, and in this case, the benefits go the payments are going through these healthcare companies. Very costly. They want to make it permanent. It would cost about forty one billion dollars a year for the next decades to do that, and we should just let them expire with a temporary program during an emergency. You know, Democrats had any had every opportunity to make the Superman into program when they first created it or when they extended it again in the Inflation Reduction Act that they knew was expensive. So they try to kick the can down the road so that they can have this debate all over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Daman Brady with the National Taxpayers Union. And as the government continues into starting tomorrow, second week of shutdown, Democrats just want a trillion and a half dollars in exchange for a seven week band aid that's going to keep the government open for seven more weeks so they can continue to negotiate and then shut it down probably seven weeks. This is going to add another trillion and a half dollars. This is about healthcare, it's about more subsidies for Obama era healthcare insurance plans. And I get it. People they are struggling. And you know, if that's you, you don't care where the money's coming from. You just want relief. I understand that. But this is part and pressle for the problem is that it's out of control. Much like you know, subsidized college or anything for that matter, it's just going to cause someone to make a profit. And who loses are the taxpayers, the students in college when it comes to colleges, because they're in debt over their heads. In this case, it's bankrupting the federal government, which is all of us together collectively. And at the end of the day, what you're saying is the winners aren't the people. It's not the twenty two million people who need the healthcat it's insurance companies. They're going to continue to raise rates and we'll do this all over again. That's really what this is. This is taking federal tax payer money and giving it to health insurance brokers.
Speaker 6: It's also completely unfair, not just the taxpayers, but also to federal employees because a lot of them are getting furloughed to home and without pay. Some of them are still required to go into their office and work without pay. It's a hit on the economy every day by the slower economic activity. And taxpayers deserve a functioning government that we have paid for. And now there's lots of ways we can reduce to the size of government. Uh you know, but it's eventually taxpayers will have to pay back the all the federal workers for the time of the government. So we're basically paying them for nothing. They get a vacation with a lot of stress because you don't know how long this is going to last. We have to worry about mortgage and rent and food and other bills that come through. So this is completely unfair to well the Democrats' main constituency, which are federal workers.
Speaker 2: My big concern over all this though, is what about Speaker Johnson and King Jefferyes. I mean, they still get health insurance, right, They're still getting paid.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because thank god, thank god for that. Well, you know, I know, we can't do anyth when it comes to the pay though, Damien, But there's nothing constitutional about the healthcare benefits. What what if we somebody came in and said, hey, you know what if the government shutdown and people are that you don't get you don't get the perks, you don't get the benefit. Ina, you can get your salary, but you're we'd never have a shutdown, would we?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: Yeah, or you mandate the no work, no work, no pay is doing work and we you know, let's give taxpayers a break for that, you know. And there's also a very simple solution to this, Uh Senator Lankford and UH Jody Errington in the House that the chair of the Budget Committee have introduced a bill called the Preventing Government Shutdown ZACH, which would provide for continuing short term rolling resolutions to continue funding at the previous levels. And then Congress is mandated to stay here in Washington, d c. And hammer the stuff out until it gets done. And this way, uh, you know, taxpayers have pay for holl these services will continue to operate, Feral employees will get paid and do their job like we have this this furlough where they're going to get paid for you know, non productive days.
Speaker 2: Uh damien. The fact the matter is is or held hostage again for another week when it comes to government shutdowns, and really not because it's only eight percent of federal spending on our federal budget is being locked out right now. So it's ninety two percent of government is essential and present that to Republicans and I'll go, well, that's not so you're saying it ninety two percent of government is essential. The bottom line is only eight This only affects eight percent of the government. That's the craziest part about this, this theater that we're performing. When it comes to shutdown.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, it really should be known as as a partial shutdown because lots of activities do do continue, you know. But then you know, I just have to remember that if people are required to go to work and they're not getting paid, it it affects people in the military too. We'll see if this gets resolved by I think that October fifteenth is the next payday for members of the armed forces, So we'll see how this goes on. And you know, also air traffic controllers. The last shutdown went on for over thirty days and then towards the end, air traffic controllers we're calling in sick. You know, we're coming up on a holiday season two where people want to travel for Thanksgiving or make plans for Christmas. So hopefully we'll see a resolution near of viditor. You know, it all depends on taxpayers. Yeah, telling their Democratic senators to let's get this done. Let's get things working again and fund the government and fund that's not in bed these forty one billion dollars per year problematic subsidies into the cederal budget. Let's let's unexpire.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the sad part about this is despite Obamacare and we're fighting, the number of uninsured Americans is rising, despite the subsidies. That's what we're having. Healthcare is becoming more rare and rare and rare. The more we fight about this instead of coming up with a.
Speaker 6: Solution, and subsidy is not the way to do it. You need to find incentives for healthcare providers to be able to control costs.
Speaker 2: Well, that's easier said than done. One of the things starting around, of course, is waste, fraud and abuse. How much is there, where's it coming from?
Speaker 6: Well, that's another thing. The Democrats want to roll back some of the work requirements that were passed in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act for Medicare and supplemental nutrition programs. So that's that's another thing that they're fighting for as well. Uh, Yeah, a lot, a lot of waste, A lot of people could be working, a lot of people could be paying for their own insurance with that's the big subsidy from taxpayers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all well and good, but it's it's hard to find a job these days. This is in the economy of five years ago. That's the other factor.
Speaker 6: Well, the unemployment rates are are still relatively low, you know. That's we also have the tax law that was just passed a lot to let people keep more of their money, creates incentive for investments. So you know, once we get things operating again, people will be able to go out and find work and you know, opportunities to experience small businesses have Uh, there's lots of opportunities with the tax.
Speaker 2: And that's that's a I mean, if you work for a big company and you have health care benefits, you know, that's solid, that's great, But we know that the engine that drives American economy are small businesses. And if you employ less than two hundred people, chances are it's very rare for you to be able to offer healthcare benefits getting exceedingly rare, so you could work you know, a couple two or three jobs and still not have healthcare coverage. That's the problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we also need to get energy costs under control. We have all these years where we're incentivising everything to go electric, and now we also have the development of the alternative intelligence industry and all the rise of data centers. Now there's extreme demand for electricity. We need to have all energy options on the table. And so that's one good thing that's going on with lots of deregulation to reduce a lot of the burdens on energy companies and on small businesses.
Speaker 2: He is Demian Brady, National textpay As Union. I assume it's not going to go longer than thirty five days, which is our record for shut downs. Let's be something in the next couple of weeks, and then we'll just kick the can down the road and I'll probably we'll have the twenty second government shutdown in the modern air.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's let's prevent that from happening. Let's pass the Prevent Government Shutdowns Act, so this way we don't have to worry about this ridiculous situation ever happening. Again, taxpayers deserve a functioning government, and you know we and we shouldn't be having a shutdown with plans that are designed to increase the federal debt. We need to be looking for ways to control the size of government, not create permanent new subsidies of a very problematic, troubled, and extensive program.
Speaker 2: Looking out for you. It's Damian Brady over at National Taxpayers Union and to you. Thanks again. I appreciate the time.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: Have a great day, sir.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott's Loan show on seven hundred WLW. It's pretty easy to figure out just taking these these complex things on the shutdown. What's it about. Well, it's about the one issue that Democrats are strong on healthcare. So we'll make that. We'll plant that flag and go shutting down the government to get you more health care, to save your health care, which is a huge issue. I get it. I'm not saying it's not necessary.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: We all need it and our system is broken. That's not debatable, that's fact. What we can debate is whether or not this is a reasonable thing to do, considering it's costing US a trillion and a half dollars, a well over a trillion dollars to extend have a continuing resolutions basically says, well, we don't have a budget. We're just going to continue to discuss it in seven weeks. It's insane and these way to look at it a subsidy much like college. What happened with a college bubble? Well, everyone goes to college. Government backs all the student loans. You can take out an unsecured loan. You don't have to have anything to back up the money. You go to college. Maybe you get a four or five year degree. Maybe you do, but what about a third or more don't, And you still have to pay that money back. And we can go after future earnings. We can garnish your wages, we can go after social security, we can make your life a living hell till you make us whole. What a shakedown? Yeah yeah, you gotta go to college otherwise your life's gonna suck. Okay, I went. My life still sucks now. Now I got to pay back fifty thousand dollars one hundred thousand student loans, even though the graduate our burdened with the loans, and who benefits goes back to well, the federal government and universities is continue to raise tuition, or they did anyway, simply because they're being subsidized. And it's the same thing in healthcare. Subsidize more health care, healthcare casts go up for the rest of us. The easiest way to fix college you know here, like someone like Willie, Like when he went to college, he had a house, he had a wife, he went on vacation, he had a car, he had money, and he was able to pay for school. How the hell are you going to do that today? You can because subsidy has driven the money up. It's artificial money, and when the bell rings, you have to pay it back. Musical chairs with health care, same thing we subsidize, subsidized, subsidize. If we just said, okay, that's it, your employer can no longer provide insurance for you, you got to buy it in the free market, like you do with their house, with your car, with life insurance, all that stuff. We'd have enough plenty of money left over to be able to take care of the indigen and the people who truly need it and still save money and actually just pay for healthcare out of pocket instead of having it subsidized. But again, this is why people like me don't get elected, because you don't have to carve stuff out to get elected. You just make it fair. Saloni's seven hundred WW. Time to talk.
Speaker 7: About money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep others off your stack. This is all Worth Advice with Andy Shaeffer.
Speaker 2: It is Andy Shaeffer and all with Financial Simply money showers at six o'clock on fifty five, k Se jumps in Tuesday morning for you like a little market recap. As he headed into the lunchhower, what's up, buddy, It's been a while. Good to be back with you. How's things, how's life?
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything's great. Looking forward to the week, getting into it.
Speaker 2: Good, good good. I did want to bring this up. I know the Fifth Third has acquired America. Co America is huge ten point nine billion dollars. They just I don't know if they put that on the credit card or what. I'm not quite sure, but this is the ninth largest US bank merger and expands fifth thirds. I know co America is pretty big up north across Michigan and the like to a pretty big banking outfit that they have now acquired that's going to close maybe first quarter of next year. What does that mean that those of us in Cincinnati the local economy and those who work for Fifth Third.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's good. You know, co America is a big bank. They're based out of Dallas, Texas. I remember when I went to an advisor conference down there in the spring where there was a big presence of Comerica, you know, and I think this is a good deal. It was largely a stock deal worth ten point nine billion dollars. And what we're seeing is like this puts Fifth Third in the position to be the ninth largest bank and the United States. So this is a strategic move. We're starting to see the cost of a lot of compliance regulatory issues that are hitting a lot of the smaller banks that we're starting to see a lot of mergers. This really solidified Fifth Third Bank as a number two position in the core Midwest markets. So this is a big deal for not only the local economy but also nationally. And you're starting to see more trends where banks are starting to consolidate, and I think the Third saw an opportunity and took it here.
Speaker 2: When you do mergers, though, that means hey, everything's to get the memo. Everything's great, We're gonna need it's going to be wonderful for everyone, and then in a few weeks, if not months, that's when the layoffs start. How bad the cuts you think coming down.
Speaker 8: I don't think there's going to be a lot of layoffs in this situation, but you never know. You know, a lot of times these mergers take a long time to develop. I remember when Charles Schwab bought TDM Error Trade, and it took about three years before you know, all the dust settled, you know, between both of them, and you didn't even get access to really a Schwab website if you were a TDOM Error Trade investor in three years away. So this can take some time. We have to see how it kind of weave through, you know, the economy and as far as payroll and things like that are concerned. But it does kind of strike a balance between rewarding the come America's shareholders. There's a seventeen percent premium on the buy and not hurting the so there's there was a zero tangible book value dilution there, and so that's good all the way around for not only fifth third employees investors, but also uh CA America employees and investors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, six to nine months, that's when the x falls. Anyway, long story, yeah, about six to nine months, positive thoughts, throwing people out the window. You're good, You're good for a while. And I'm in a little middle of next year. Let's get the latest on the government shutdown. Oh we're so close to a deally. Oh my god. The political theater is it's maddening. And this is why. You know, someone I was talking to gonother to're wringing their hands about the government shutdown, like, do you work for the government now? Are you going to get paid?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but but I just like, look just look at Wall Street. All you need to know about this shutdown is look at Wall Street. Wall Street seems to think it's fine because you all know how to make money whether it's red or blue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we seem to be largely brushing it off from an investor standpoint you. Last night the Senate voted fifty two to forty two against the House bill needs sixty votes to advance. So this is the fifth Senate no vote, this resolution to fund the government basically through November twenty first. And so you know, with this shutdown, you say, okay, well, you know what can potentially happen. I think One of the different things about this one is that Trump's White House of Office Management and Budget has indicated that agencies could pursue mass layoffs. I don't think it's going to get to that point. But I think most importantly the effects of this is the type of data investors will receive moving forward. You know, on Friday, we were not able to get the jobs report, which was very significant because the FED bases a lot of decisions on whether to cut rates or raise rates based on the jobs report. And if this continues on, you know, we might not get a number of other data. The September CPI will be withheld, the labor survey will be disrupted, and the FED is going to meet again at the end of October. And if they don't have a lot of this data, they're kind of operating in the dark some degree. Now, there are some other indicators that exist, but they're not really the sub any substitute for the major readings that we have. And so while it looked, you know, positive that we would see a rick cut in October, it's hard to say now. And I think right now it has more to do with momentum other indicators, and they look at the earnings report a little bit more succinctly to determine what they're going to do in October. But right now the markets are expecting a cut in October, and if we don't get this data, that becomes a little bit more cloudy.
Speaker 2: So there is then leverage on Republicans because you know, we've seen this administration come in and say, well, the numbers are wrong, we do them or fire the people in charge of the numbers. We don't know if the numbers is going to be good or bad, but that that's a foregone conclusion. If you continue to kick the can down the road, it's like it kind of helps them, but it doesn't simply because what winds up occurring is now all of a sudden, the interest rate cuts that you need it may not happen as a result of this. That'll be an interesting fight if it comes down to that in the future.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think they're you know, both the Democrats and Republicans are trying to position themselves in a way of being the sympathetic, sympathetic figure. You know, from a Republican standpoint, they're saying, you know, to the Democrats, you know, they're adding, you know, some additional you know, Obamacare subsidies and things like that that weren't in the build before. And the Republicans were saying, hey, alls we wanted was just to continue this on until November twenty first, where we can negotiate a little bit more. From the Democrat side, they could say, hey, the Republicans are holding this up by not negotiating with us now, and that could cause some layoffs in certain government entities, maybe some furloughs, maybe some loss of pay for the time being. And so right now, I think it's more about both parties trying to position themselves as the sympathetic figure in this debate.
Speaker 2: All right, So we did see some numbers come out ahead of the shutdown, and that is kind of a glimpse of what might be going on. What might be going on, Andy.
Speaker 8: Shafer, Well, we've received some data. We received some jobs number of the Jolt survey, which we like to call the take this job and shove it survey, which basically is the survey where if you currently have a job, it's when somebody is actually looking for another job so they feel good about the opportunity there. So there was a little bit of an increase in openings there. However, we saw the quick rate fall to one point, suggests that employers are less confident about our employees are less confident about finding work if they quit, and we've seen that bear out with a lot of the other data. Again, if you have a job right now, it's likely that you will continue to keep your job. But if you don't have a job, it's becoming harder and harder to find a job at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, does that then indicate anything relative to the labor market. It's starting to cool off.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is starting to cool off. So the labor market market's kind of losing some steam right now. And we are seeing the Institute for Supply Management where they have the manufacturing survey and also the services survey. Both of those are hovering around fifty, which is neutral. We were previously an expansion and so we are seeing some cooling off now. Growth overall is still it's not collapsing, it's still remaining positive, but the momentent is signally fading.
Speaker 2: It's not recession, but it feels like and if you have a job, hold on to it because despite what the unemployment rate is right now, it's difficult from what I understand, and the numbers have backed it up to get a job.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think a lot of that has to do with the uncertainty that's still out there. We still see the impact of tariffs. We don't really know how that's going to shake out. A lot of business leaders right now or kind of holding the cards that they have and not making any rash decisions as far as adding numbers or subtracting numbers. And it's more of a kind of a wait and see approach for business owners and leadership within the business community.
Speaker 2: All right, So relative to tariffs, I think it's a good time to maybe kick the tires on that. I know that the federal government is certainly raking a lot of money, a lot more money than I have in the past, But what does that mean to the rest of us? What does that mean if I have a small, medium sized business.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I think what you're seeing right now is that the costs are starting to increase. And you know, once again, I think with tariffs, there's a timeline on this long as inflation has been under control and it has been fairly sticky.
Speaker 3: We're in the high twos at this point.
Speaker 8: Again, the fedest preferred inflation measures too, but the Federal Reserve has said, hey, you know, we're not you know, targeting two percent as a be all, end all. As long as we feel like it's somewhat under control, we're.
Speaker 3: Comfortable with that. Well, it's starting to tick up a little bit.
Speaker 8: The more that these tariff conversations continue to go on, the more that the cost of goods and supply are going to be probably passed on to the consumer. We've seen that with beef prices most recently. There's a number of reasons why we've seen beef prices hit a record highs. We've seen a nationwide cattle inventory drop to its lower levels in seventy years. Part of that has to do with drought that we've had over the last few years, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that we're seeing the costs of farmers, whether it's you know, the feed that they have or overhead, and that's.
Speaker 3: Kind of continue to increase the cost onto the consumer.
Speaker 8: The We have a beef tariff on Brazil that's facing seventy six percent tariffs, and other beef producing countries are also facing terrafts like that, So you know, we're seeing it succinctly within you know, the cost of beef, and we're seeing that other places as well. You're familiar with, you know, cost of housing and development there, Scott, and so you know, I think at some point we have to start knocking down big deals with our biggest trading partners.
Speaker 3: All right on it.
Speaker 2: You know, the cost of beef. I think it was like a well above six dollars a pound, between six and seven dollars a pound de penaardy right now, which is absolutely insane. Yeah, as far as that costs, and it's killing a lot of American family well and and again I think you know, with this drought is particularly in the Midwest. You know what happens if you're a farmer and you start to see a drought on the horizon, a lot of times you're gonna you're gonna have to go ahead and harvest those cows, right otherwise it's just not going to be good beef. And so you know that inventory was depleted a few years ago because of the drought that we were having, and they're having a hard time ratcheting up, you know.
Speaker 8: Their production to meet demand. We're starting to see a higher demand for beef whether it's steaks, ground beef, whatever it is. I think there's less of you know, negative connotne to beef consumption.
Speaker 3: You're starting to see a lot.
Speaker 8: Of health experts saying that, hey, it is pretty healthy as long as you prepare it right. You didn't moderation and things like that. And furthermore, there's been a lot of illnesses with cattle from Mexico, and the Department of Agriculture in May basically said, hey, we're going to take a look at this because there's the screwworm epidemic there, which is a flesh eating parasite, and it affects that cattle that's closer to the US border where we could get additional supply and that's been cut off as well.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of things that play here. I think this beat.
Speaker 8: These beef prices could go well and the next year as far as an elevated cost to the consumer, but hopefully we'll be able to figure it out in years to complady.
Speaker 2: And you you've learned a new semi sort of curse word. They can call people a screwworm. Now that's a new throw that around the office place. Hey, y a screwworm. I don't know if HR would like that. I'm not sure. Well, yeah, that's on the look in the mirror anyway. He's Andy Schaeffer Worth Financial. And bring this up too, because it's not like we're going to quit eating burgers in ground beef and stuff like that. And I note that too, because new studies come out said, Ohio, oh hi, we're in the top ten as far as credit card debt increase goes. We're number eight in the country. Average Ohio households owns what about nine three and fifty dollars in credit card debt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and think about it from a family point of view. You know, not everybody has a stake every month. You know that can be costly, but most families, if you're trying to be economical, use a lot of ground beef. You can use it for cast roles, you can use it for chili, and it's way to feed a large number of people within your family. And so that's really the cost that I think is going to hurt families the most. And you're starting to see, you know, credit card debt continue to rise, You're starting to see savings dwindle. You know, most people have been trying to build up their savings quite a bit because of the uncertainty of tears. Well, as this continues to play out and costs continue to get passed on to the consumer, those savings start to become less and less and the credit card debt continues to rise. And what we've also seen, particularly in Cincinnati, is that it's becoming you know, Cincinnati is one of becoming one of the more expensive cities to live in over the last six months to a year, specifically within housing, you know, whether it's the cost of buying a house or whether it's rents.
Speaker 3: It's not easy out there right now.
Speaker 8: And hopefully we'll be able to get some relief with an interest rate cut, but again without this data and the government shutdown, it's hard to say whether we do get one or October.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are and I think the overall thing is just a general uneas still correct that the thousand.
Speaker 3: I think so, yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean most of the meetings that I have with clients, it's it's more about uncertainty. What should I do to prepare? Is this something that can continue on? Are we going to continue to see prices increase? If they're business owners, they're worried about the productivity of their of their company and the profitability of their company.
Speaker 3: I have a young couple coming in today.
Speaker 8: They're both government workers, and I know what the conversation is going to be is, how do we prepare what happens if I do get furloughed, and what should.
Speaker 3: Our next steps be.
Speaker 8: So, you know, regardless of what type of a stage of life you're in, or what kind of business you're in, or what kind of job you have, there's a lot of uneasiness with everybody right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about the only person who seemingly doesn't have a care in the world's Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, she probably had a new album come out. I guess the other night.
Speaker 2: Well that's how out of touch you are with the common people right there. On Friday, I dropped at what midnight, and she had more downloads. I think it literally shut the internet down. People stayed up till midnight. Grown ass women stayed up till midnight to download the forty two minute album. She has got a lott. No, I did not say, because you know what, it's not a live thing. I didn't need to get up and download it. In the middle of the night. It's like, yeah, they'll still be new to you in a day or two or a week whenever you get it.
Speaker 8: Well, you think you know Taylor Swift, you know, that's not really my kind of music, But I do appreciate her and what she does and the talent has and not only that, if you remember, you know the tour that she had, the Airs tour when she came to Cincinnati, that flooded in millions and millions of dollars to our local economy.
Speaker 3: So I'm pro Taylor Swift. Oh yeah, she's.
Speaker 8: Continuing to put music and stuff out there. But you know, the the fanfare for it, you know, does help our economy quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know some of the songs, it's the thing here to Go. Yeah, that's Taylor Swift. That's I don't know the name of the song, but I know the song.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I know them when they come on, right, but I couldn't tell you, you know, off the top of my head some the names of the songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, seemingly Okay, So there's a one prore we found someone in there. She's just crushing it either way. Doesn't have a cat the government's why it shut down, doesn't Taylor Swift. But on my own government, he's Andy Schaeffer all Worth Financial. They have a show called Simply Money the airs weeknights at six on our sister station fifty five KRC. He pops in tuesdays little financial tune up. I just look at the markets and there in the green and it goes to show you what a joke the shutdown is.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: In the future, let's say it's shut down for thirty forty days. Now we don't start to get some financial reports. And once it starts to impact the economy in the markets, then they these guys start paying attention. But right now it's all theater. Andy, have a great week. Appreciate you, Okay, Scott, thanks a lot time. Willie is on the way in just minutes here with the news and the make sure I'm back tomorrow nine oh six. Here on the home the best Bengals coverage seven hundred w do bet since now