Speaker 1: Bonnie money money smell that fresh money news is being served.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLW. You always say good morning once more to Denise Pellegreening from our Bloomberg newsroom in New York City. Good news, Denise. For those graduating from some of the nation's elite colleges and universities, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Those are the lucky ones, because apparently US employers are really shifting to a more traditional entry level recruiting strategy. Now they're hiring from just a few select universities again, instead of from a broad range of schools. Wall Street Journal says companies are prioritizing applicants who attend prestigious universities as you mentioned are, and also schools close to company headquarters. Recruiters are citing expense savings and also a preference for in person interactions during the interview process for scaling back diversity driven recruiting and virtual events. A survey says one in four companies now exclusively recruiting from a short list of schools.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, meat eaters may qualify for some cash in a big consumer settlement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you bought beef between twenty fourteen and twenty nineteen, you might be able to get a piece of a new cash settlement JBS Food, Swift Beef, Cargill, Tyson Foods, a bunch of others. They were all accused and a big antitrusted of agreeing to stop competing with each other and raising prices on beef instead. A multimillion dollar settlement still needs to be approved. If it's approved, then they'll be able to start paying out those cash payments. It's not sure quite how you prove you bought meat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, who knows.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people out there that are very particular about saving lots of receipts and things like that.
Speaker 3: And putting in for claims for any money.
Speaker 2: There you go, there you go. And the futures this morning did ease.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dow futures have now just looked negative. We had been saying all morning that investors were pretty much shaking off events in Venezuela looking at bright tech stocks instead. That's still somewhat true because Nasdaq futures are surging one hundred and sixty one points, and S and P futures are up sixteen. But Dow futures they have now flipped negative there down forty eight gold A big winner this morning from Bloomberg. I'm Denise pebllygreading news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Alright, eight ten on seven hundred WLW. We do it every single Monday. We call it the Morning After, and this one will tie a ribbon around what is yet another disappointing season for the Cincinnati Bengals. Third straight year the franchise is not going to the postseason, and here to talk about that, and we're going to break it down on a number of different levels. Former Bengal great Tim McGee, Tim, belated, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope you had a great holiday, my friend.
Speaker 5: Oh everything went well, and same to you, my friend. Life is good. Can't complain. We're all blessed if we're here, we're blessed.
Speaker 4: Amen to that, Amen to that. All right, let's start.
Speaker 2: I want to come at this because you are one of the most unique people to talk about these different areas and levels of things that go on. Of course, you were a great player for better than a decade in the NFL. You later served as a player agent for players in the National Football League. So I want to start with just what is today like for a player, whether you know you're coming back or not, And maybe that would be a distinct difference of whether you're coming back or not. Are you coming down there, cleaning out your locker, all that kind of thing, spending time with coaches, other players?
Speaker 4: What's today like?
Speaker 6: Now you're trying to get the hell away from there. The atmosphere has been very frustrating. It's been a very frustrating year for players that had an expectation of success of going to the playoffs.
Speaker 5: So you're just basically just trying to get away from it. It's a long.
Speaker 6: Season, man, and it's a grind, just like people think it's a physical grind, we know, but more so it's a mental grind, and you just want to get away. And I can almost I guarantee you most of the players will be in the Caribbeans or somewhere on vacations with their families and just kind of relax and getting their bodies back together, because again physically and mentally, it's a long, frustrating season, so you just want to get to get away for a week or so, get your body together, get your mind together, and then kind of go back and see what you could have done a little bit better in the previous year, and then you start thinking about the next year in a couple of weeks. You don't get a lot of time off. You don't get a lot of time off from thinking. But right now you just trying to get the hell away and just trying to get some sun.
Speaker 5: There's some heat and just get away and relax.
Speaker 2: So in other words, and I mean, maybe this is a silly question. There's no such thing on a daylight today as say a quote unquote exit interview with your position coach, head coach, general manager, any of that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: You know, some teams do that, but and it depends on your leadership, and some teams will have the individual players come in the day after. But you know, when you have a from football team like the Bengals and you have the t Higgins and Jambar Chasers and your Joe Burrows in the locker room, you.
Speaker 5: Know, what are you gonna do? Bring them in there, and they're gonna they.
Speaker 6: If you really don't want them to tell you, to tell you how they feel, because you will get an air fool. So you know, because again they've been around so long and they had the taste of that Super Bowl and now they know what it takes to get there, and unfortunately it's that seem to be trending in the wrong direction. So I don't think that would probably be a healthy situation to have every single player come in and kind of vent their their season and coaches as well. When you just don't have a very when you have a very frustrating season, Tom you just were to it's just that time, just.
Speaker 4: Like in marriages, just like in.
Speaker 5: Friendships, you go to your corner, I go to my corner.
Speaker 6: We will reconvene at the at the right time. But right now, based on their season, based on the way their season ended yesterday, based on watching the game last night between the Steelers and Baltimore, when you know, damn well, the Cincinnati Bengals just as that, if not better than some of them, than two of both of those teams. You just want to get away because it's just it is frustrating, and you know, men will be men, and if they'll they'll you know, the worst wouldn't be kind at all. So yeah, it's best just you know, okay, well, we'll talk about it some other times, you know.
Speaker 2: Burrow in the postgame press conference, at least hinted, and I don't know if that means today or like you said, maybe get a week to step away from it all. Ten days get away from it all. He at least hinted that he was going to be sitting down with Mike Brown, Katie Brown, Troy Blackburn, et cetera, maybe even Duke Tobin uh and and sharing his thoughts on where the franchise needs to go. For a guy like him, might that be something you address sooner rather than later.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And because of his personality, not just because of timing, but.
Speaker 5: You have to understand something and the listeners please understand this. And Joe Burrow first three years.
Speaker 6: He was what the NFL was all about. Management, was all about.
Speaker 5: Coaches, coaches coming to go free agency.
Speaker 4: All that.
Speaker 6: Now he's there.
Speaker 5: He's football mature.
Speaker 6: You can no longer put the blinders on his eyes and say, oh, this is what we're going to do. No, he is now being assertive to say, no, this is what we should be doing, because you are seriously, seriously.
Speaker 5: Wasting my talent.
Speaker 6: Now you've seen his frustration, you witnessed.
Speaker 4: It this year.
Speaker 6: He is now at the point of his career going. Come on, I'm in my prime. Every single year, I'm getting banged up, I'm getting hurt.
Speaker 5: We can't outscore other teams.
Speaker 6: That formerly is not working. What are we doing here? And what are the plans for free agency? What are the plans for the draft? I think they're going to be picking somewhere like ten. What are we planning on doing with that? Are we trying to win immediately? If so, I want to be a part of that. I want to hear it. Now. That's a total oxymoron for the Bengals organization. That's not something they genuinely accept a player coming in and having that type of pool or leverage. But when you had the Boomer Siasins, and you had the Kenny Anderson, now you have the Joe Burrows.
Speaker 5: You better listen because I tell you this.
Speaker 6: Since nineteen sixty eight, every single season has ended in a disappointment. Only one team has a happy season. Yeah, and that's the team that won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: And if you don't qualify for that playoff.
Speaker 6: Tom, you're not going to be in that super Bowl. All right?
Speaker 2: Explain this to me, though, Tim, and you were a player agent. I'm just curious. You know, you talked about Burrow and his experience in the league learning at the start, they got to a Super Bowl, they got to an AFC Championship game. At the end of the day, though, you know, this was the same guy in Burrow that was politicking the organization. Use whatever word you want, urging the organization whatever. Maybe politicking is just a bad dirty word in this day and age. But you know, look, he was a guy pushing for Chase to get the deal. He was a guy pushing for Giseki to come back here. He was a guy pushing for t Higgins to get the long term contract. And you know, I just wonder at the end of the day, sometimes you know he wants the best players around him on the offensive side of the ball, But I just wonder, you know, could you put too much stock in what Joe Burrow thinks this team needs?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And that's why they hit coaching position and a general manager, whoever's playing that role, whether it's Katie Troyer, et cetera. That's why you sit now with Joe.
Speaker 4: Last year.
Speaker 6: Last year the organization wanted to give the fans sugar. They gave him sugar and t Higgins. They gave him the spotlight, they gave him the offense, They gave Joe Burrow every single thing he wanted. But come on, you and I and any person a football IQ over one new and understood. Now, the only way they're going to win football games is by outscoring. And guess what, that did not happen. No, now you're left in a position, your money is tied up.
Speaker 5: On the offensive side of the football. You have this high draft pick.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do it?
Speaker 6: Are you going to trade it to get an impact player because you only have potentially one impact player on the defensive side of the football. So you're so heavily weighed on one side you forgot all about the defense. And let's just face it, it's been proven, Tom, It's been proven. I said with passion, you are not going to outscore the other three teams in the AFC North simply because they're built from.
Speaker 5: The defensive standpoint.
Speaker 6: So it is just not going to happen. And it's going to be interesting to see what type of adjustments they make as far as personnel and far as strategic approach to this coming season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, people can talk about Burrow being hurt. But the bottom line is when Joe Flacco was in there, they had three games where they scored thirty five or more points and they lost all three games. So you know, look, they had a hard time scoring against the Browns in both the games they played him this year. I don't care if it was the last game or not. The Bengals still had all their horses out there and they couldn't do anything on offense against a great Cleveland defense.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's start. If you're the.
Speaker 2: General manager, Tim, what are the first two or three things that should be on your mind right now for this offseason?
Speaker 6: Number one, Trey Henderson. Do you resigned him or not? All right, well you number one, what would you do? Definitely resign him? Definitely, okay, because you need impact players. So that's remember something. You're going to flip the script. If you don't resign him, now you're going to look for another one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. So now you need three.
Speaker 6: You need three impact.
Speaker 5: Superstars on defense, preferably on You need one.
Speaker 6: On the back line. You need one a linebacker. You need one on.
Speaker 4: The D line.
Speaker 5: So you have the D line.
Speaker 6: Okay, now you gotta go, what do you do with that.
Speaker 5: Tenth pick, do you leverage that to get.
Speaker 6: Another impact player on defense or do you make that same I'm going to call it. I don't want to call it a mistake. I think it's more neutral. You got all these young players that you've been picking forever.
Speaker 5: In the first round, and they're just not superstar talent.
Speaker 6: And you gotta go get a superstar, not a star, a superstar, another superstar to compliment Trey if you resign him. So I would resign him, then I would get another star player.
Speaker 5: On defense, and I would get another superstar player on defense.
Speaker 6: And that's going to be your one informal.
Speaker 5: You have to balance this team's.
Speaker 6: Talent out right now, as we said in midya time, as anyone knows, they're.
Speaker 5: Just heavily weighted on the offensive side, and they have to do.
Speaker 6: Something on the defense. And that's what I would primarily focus on.
Speaker 2: Uh Okay, then you get to the offensive line. If you're talking about the defensive side of the ball, there have been questions for years and years and years. I thought the offensive line played much better this year than maybe in recent years. I think some of the numbers bear that out. You know, Riisner says he wants to come back. You've got the tackles in place. Keris, I guess has another year that you could conceivably bring him back. Would you even think about an offensive lineman with that tenth pick?
Speaker 6: No, no way, there's absolutely no way.
Speaker 5: Again. Defense, defense, defense.
Speaker 6: Because especially in the AFC North, we know in the National Football League, if you don't have a defense.
Speaker 5: You're just not gonna win. I mean, you go back the history of college football, high school football, pro football. Of course, just offenses is just not going to win, especially when you're throwing thirty points, because you're.
Speaker 6: Going to have bad days and then if you're in if you're in.
Speaker 5: Bad weather, that's going to factor into it. He just got it up.
Speaker 6: And I'm pretty sure everyone knows and understand this.
Speaker 5: It's not rocket sciences.
Speaker 6: The defense did not all they are not very well. You have to go and get some defensive personnel. And no matter how tempting it would be, if you're picking number ten and you see this offensive line that has just fallen down and he's a great player, you just got to go, Nah, we need defensive.
Speaker 5: Personnel, and you got to go.
Speaker 6: You've got to be like the Green Bay Packers, you got to go get the top players.
Speaker 5: You got to go trade for.
Speaker 6: Him, you gotta pay him. And that's not something that we've seen over the last you know, forty fifty years with the Bengals.
Speaker 5: That's just not therefore tay it.
Speaker 6: But if you want to win, why Joe Burrow is still in his prime, you're going to have to go get some defensive players.
Speaker 2: Last thing I want to ask you about before I let you go, and look, you think the world of Mike Brown.
Speaker 4: I know that you like him.
Speaker 2: You've known him for a long time, you used to work for him, you still get together with him periodically from time to time. I'm just curious, do you think it would behoove Mike Brown, as it was suggested by Jason Williams and The Inquirer today to actually hold a press conference of any kind here postseason is.
Speaker 4: Speak to the fans for what I mean, I don't know you In.
Speaker 2: Other cities where you know, owners have come out, like last year, Robert Kraft comes out, writes a letter of apology to the fans, as we're going to get this thing straightened out. I saw where the Tennessee Titans owner, she did the same thing two days ago. I'm just curious. I mean, would that help the franchise? Would that be something that would be smart to do at all?
Speaker 6: No. And here's why I disagree with just the concept. It's because Mike and Katie and Troy gave the people what they wanted. You wanted offense, you got it. Now it didn't work out. But now you want to blame the owners. You want to blame the general managers, you want to blame the coaches, you want the fans. I wanted them to resign T Higgins. If I wanted them to resign T Higgins, I knew we weren't gonna have a very good defense. So I don't think he owed the city, city and an apology. I think what they need to do it twenty twenty six is upgrade the defense. Danny.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: If they don't get that right, yes, next year.
Speaker 5: But this year he gave them. And I'm not defending and you know I.
Speaker 4: Do not I know that, I know that, But you're spot on. I mean, you said at the beginning of.
Speaker 5: The year, he gave the fans what they want.
Speaker 6: Everybody was like, you gotta sign Joe, you got a sign. T you caught us sign jamorrow he signed them all and guess what.
Speaker 5: It didn't work out?
Speaker 6: Yep, So now you got to go get some defensive players.
Speaker 4: Spot on, Tim, you are the best.
Speaker 2: I can't thank you enough for taking the time to join us every single week. And the very best in twenty twenty six to you and your family, my friend.
Speaker 5: And the same to you, my friend.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you having and there's been a wonderful time.
Speaker 5: And let's do it.
Speaker 2: Again, all right, I'll look forward to it in twenty twenty six. It is eight twenty four. Let's check the roadways and see what's happening out there, Chuck Ingram, how we moving along?
Speaker 7: If everything's moving along a bit better since the last time we talked this from the U see how TRAMFHIC Center u See Health's Weight Falls Center offers surgical and medical Obcitcaren expertise caught five one three, nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine nine twenty two sixty three southbound seventy five, just a bit heavy out of Lochland, and that's with an accident near Paddock. Cruise continue to clean up a wreck eastbound on the Reagan Highway just before seventy five. That's improving from Winton northbound seventy five. That's clear through the cut and northbound fourth seventy one looks much better between Grand and downtown. Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred wlw OUR WCPO nine first Warning forecast. It is going to be a beautiful day. It's already a beautiful morning.
Speaker 2: Still a little chilly, but we're warming up under sunny skies to date to fifty degrees and then tonight low thirty eight. Tomorrow, mix of sun and clouds, a little bit breezy. We're all the way up to fifty five tomorrow. Tomorrow night our low is only forty and then on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, we're anywhere from fifty eight into the city. If you can believe that, it will cool down over the weekend Saturday and Sunday, but at least we will stay dry.
Speaker 4: Good news, good news.
Speaker 2: Coming up at eight thirty eight, we got Mondays with Marty, the Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman to join us. You heard Seg talk about earlier. We're less than forty days away from pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training in Goodyear, Arizona, so we'll see what the Reds might have store. Get Marty's thoughts on that and his thoughts on the college football playoff. He's all in on the Hoosiers, the Indiana Hoosiers twenty six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: This report is sponsored by Red Pilled America. Why haven't you listened to Red Pilled America?
Speaker 2: Do what every single Monday? We call it Mondays with Marty with the Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman. How was your holiday and Happy New Year?
Speaker 1: Well, Holliday was fond, The New Year Year was equally good. But at the end of the day, it's so busy and so for neetic, and you're being pulled in different directions or allowed yourself to be that way, because it's what holidays are all about. Once Sarah over, you're glad they're gone.
Speaker 2: Yep, you're right about that. Well, Happy New Year and love you, thank you. And seg mentioned this morning with the Bengals season now officially over, no trip to the playoffs three years in a row, he mentioned it's thirty some odd days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training out in Goodyear, Arizona. I'm curious, you know, look, the team has gone out and you know they traded for outfielder Dane Meyers. Another outfielder they brought in on a one year deal looks like more of a versatility kind of thing than than a big offensive boost, although I guess time will tell. They bring in a guy what a good year in Japan for the bullpen. They bring back Pegan, they signed Caleb Ferguson. I mentioned all those names because at the end of the day, do you expect a lot more forthcoming between now and the start of spring training from this team?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I would hope so, because I don't think they've yet accomplished what they need to. You put a batting order together with this team and you speculate on what might be the opening day lineup. I saw one of these Reds blogs or websites or whatever you call them, put one out yesterday, and the thing that jumps out at you is this club's going to have trouble score and runs again, because the one thing they've needed this is a third year in a row. Now is a veteran with a track record of being able to hit home runs and drive and runs to take some of the pressure off a still relatively young team, and they go out and they sign these guys that they hope and that's the keyword, that they hope can produce to the point where the struggle they had all year long frescore runs will be non existent. I still maintain that they need what they needed for three years, and that's the aforementioned You would assume alfielder who can do some things that no one else in this club has been able to do. And if you have to rely on pitching again, and the pitching is awfully good, but the results are going to be the same that they've been and that is you get great pitching, but you have trouble producing runs to make them winning pitchers. So I would like to think something will happen between now and the opening game of the season.
Speaker 2: Help me with this guy's name. I'm not sure how you pronounce it because I've been away from it for so long. Now, is it Luis Robert or Luis Robert? Which is it? Do you know the guy from the White Stars?
Speaker 1: Correct pronounce it? I think yourrect pronunciation is Robert.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Well I want to talk about him for a minute, because this is a guy who early in his career, All Star, Gold Glover, Silver Slugger Award, all that kind of thing, combination of power, speed and defense, and the Rens for whatever reason, have been linked at least in trade rumors that they're interested in this guy. But again, you're coming back to a guy of hoping there's upside left in him because he's coming off a terrible year. Terrible year hit two twenty. Yeah, only hit fourteen home runs in the White Sox ballpark. That's a big time home run hitters ballpark. And he only knocked in fifty three runs.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it goes back to what you just stated and what I talked about a moment ago. This is a guy that, you know, all things being equal, he could be the answer. But again, you've got then you have to make a determination based on you know what you're going to have to get up to bring him into the Reds camp. Is he going to turn the clock back to when he was one of the more favorite hitters in the American League. You know, I don't know what the reasons were that he fell off so drastically last year, but uh, you know, he put he posts terrible numbers for a team that arguably was the worst team in Major League Baseball or awfully close to it.
Speaker 4: UH.
Speaker 1: So, I don't know what do I think he's UH an improvement? I can't answer that question. I wish I could say, yes, I think he is. But again, it's the old the biggest single word in the baseball language for clubs that are in the reds position, and that is the inability to produce a kind of dollars. It would bring in someone that would, without a doubt, barring injury or some unforeseen seidback, help this club immensely. And getting to the UH to the postseason is if everybody they bring in, this guy could really help us. If nobody comes in here and says this is it here, this is the guy. So I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to get to the college football playoff for a minute. And Indiana, I mean, you know, look, you have a grandson that goes there, my son, so we're all heavily invested in seeing them do well.
Speaker 4: But I mean, can you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And Urban Meyer and I have talked about this, He's talked about this on the air. I don't know if there's ever been a turnaround in the history of sports like there is with Indiana football right now. This is the second losingest college team in the history of football and they have lost two games in two years.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I.
Speaker 1: Don't disagree with that probability at all. The turnaround has been incredible, and quite honestly, I don't think you'd be out of line as saying that you can foresee I don't know that you'll see this dominance over the rest of Signett's career as a coach at at Indiana, but I think you can see that this is the beginning of a long run of success for this program and and and a way of a new respectability when people talk about the Indiana Hoosiers football program. Uh, I watched him the You know, I'm a big fan for the reason the fact that Luke is there and heavily involved in broadcasting, and in fact, I don't I'm proud to say that he broadcasts a Rose Bowl with two of his teammates on the campus radio station, and we'll do the same at the Peach Bowl. So I'm a fan and I love to watch him play. They may complete unmitigated believer out of me, and the way they won the game, they played last weekend, so I I I can see that this team will be greatly successful in an incredibly difficult and competitive conference like the Big Ten. Uh again, and people have not seen him play. Do yourself a favor and watching play this weekend or Friday night, whatever it is, because they really are fun to watch play.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to get your predictions on the semi final games. We'll start with the other game, which will be Miami of Florida taking on Old Miss, and hopefully Old Miss will have enough coaches to play in the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel kind of sorry for that bunch. And I guess, in the darkest of night, if you'd asked all those assistant coaches what do you think about this game coming up? And they say we're going to Georgia will beat us, and then we can go away and go on down to Baton Rouge and take over on Lane Kiffin's staff. Now they got to worry about whether they have jobs. You know, I don't you made a believer out of me as far as Miami is concerned, because you tip me off the don't be so cocky about Ohio State beating them. It's a thump of the road. You made a believer out of me. I picked Miami because their defense is so blasted good. Ye yeah, they are awfully good, and I think they will score enough points and play shutdown defense to beat ale Miss.
Speaker 4: All right, let's shift gears.
Speaker 2: Then to the F fourmentioned rematch earlier this year, Indiana went to Oregon snapped a long winning streak on Oregon's home field. Out there, what do you think You're round two in the semis?
Speaker 1: Well, just like the rematch, things scares me to death. Just like when Indiana and Ohio State played, I thought Ohio State would win, but then I thought, you know what, to be the team as good as Indiana two times in the same season with the same personnel basically is tough to do. I think that will be an exception here. I think Indiana will have whatever it takes, and however big that might be and however little it might be, depending upon the way they play and the way they handle Oregon, it'll be a game that I think the Hoosiers will emerge with a win. They have no weakness. Let me tell you something about that team that just man, I told some folks we live down in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: In the last three a few days.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever seen a college football team tackle as well as Indiana tackles. Yeah, it's unreal. I mean their technique. You know, rarely you see a guy go for the upper part of a player's body with the.
Speaker 4: Ball who they're trying to break down.
Speaker 1: Their technique is incredible, and that to me is as big an example of the coaching staff and their abilities to impose their will on young men to teach them the right way to play the game. I think Indiana will beat Oregon.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll get your prediction on the championship game next Monday. Have a great rest of you day. Thanks for the time. As always, Dad, I'll talk to you later.