Speaker 1: All right back with Eddie and Rocky and rock News announced on the Western Hills Viaduct, a project that I've lived here longer than I've lived here, longer than you've lived here, and I'm and I'm not from here. Yeah, it's one of those things. It's like the Brent Spence since I moved here forty six years ago, I did the bridge. Gotta fix the bridge. You gotta fix the bridge. You got to fix the viaduct, you gotta fix the nothing, nothing, And now they're going to half asset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna happen, but not in the way that I think everybody envisioned it. So I guess maybe some some good news bad news.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk to a woman who wrote about it today in the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com. Our good friend, Patricia Gallagher Newberry, And Patty, what is the latest on these things? Because of inflation and I had kind of loss the building material right lingering around for so long? What are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: I started writing about this bridge in twenty twenty two and learned that it's been considered functionally obsolete since two thousand and seven. Anybody who drives on the Western Hills viadec knows it's in some amount of disrepair, and occasionally, you know, you look up and you might see some falling chunks of concrete. Year it's been two years since anything big has fallen off. But of course they have a lot of netting up there now to catch between the top deck and the bottom. So the latest on this, according to city officials, is that they're going to shrink the footprint just a bit because of costs anticipated costs.
Speaker 4: It was going to be.
Speaker 3: Four lanes in each direction going over from seventy five to the west side, over the big Queen's Gate rail yard, and now it's going to be three lanes in each direction. Instead, there were going to be paths on both the north side and the south side of the new structure. Now there's just going to be a south side passage, not the north side.
Speaker 5: Both of those.
Speaker 3: Things will save some amount of cost, but city officials either don't know or we're not yet ready to make public how much it's going to cost. The last figure was three hundred and ninety eight million, but that's going back now, you know, three four years, and it was already the second estimate. So it's definitely going to be more than that. I certainly can't venture a guess, and if city officials aren't willing to say it, I'm certainly not going to jump out there.
Speaker 1: But it's going to cost.
Speaker 3: More and it's going to be a little more narrow than anticipated.
Speaker 2: Patty, just share with the listeners where all the money, the three hundred ninety eight million and growing. Where's that exactly come from? A local, state, federal combination.
Speaker 5: It's a combination. Yeah, it's a combination.
Speaker 3: And we we didn't publish it today, but we had published some charts earlier showing, you.
Speaker 5: Know, dot O DOT is a contributor.
Speaker 3: The Federal Transportation Authority is a big is you know, a contributor as the City of Cincinnati. And then they do have two more chunks of money coming in. One is six million that they just secured via OKI, which your listeners might know is the Ohio Kentucky, Indiana Regional Council of Governments, which funnels federal money.
Speaker 5: So that's six million.
Speaker 3: And then they've just applied for and are waiting to hear from another big hunk from the state of Ohio to the tune of fifty million. They already had twenty five million from the state of Ohio secured, so another fifty on top of that. Now, is that going to mean, you know, we should just add fifty six million to the last price.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but but that's where it stands at this time in terms of the funding.
Speaker 1: Patricia Gallagher Newberry from the Inquirer Cincinnatia dot com with us and so, Patty, the plan is to build this beside the current viaduct and then tear the viaduct down. That's what I'm reading, Is that right?
Speaker 3: That that is correct, and that's been the plan all along. So it'll be just south and fifty miles excuse me.
Speaker 1: So it'll be and somewhere in Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifty feet south of the the new one will go up and then when it's done, which will be twenty thirty one is what they're saying, then the old one will come down in its one hundredth year centennial and last birthday that the old viaduct celebrates, so it'll be imploded when the new one is up and operational and tied in at both ends seventy five and then to west side streets.
Speaker 2: So that's exactly what's gonna happen with the Brent Spensbridge. You're gonna build one right next to it and then tear down the old structure, so so very similar.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no correction, both the Brent Spence stays it becomes the local okay, okay, connects, yeah, connects into Cincinnati and into Covington.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And then the brand the brand new companion bridge that doesn't have a name yet will be built to its immediate west and it will become the I seventy five seventy one bridge, so it'll be the interstate passage, the new one, gotcha, and that one, that one they should have shovel in the water. Next year we'll start to see some actual you know, cranes and pylons and so forth, good in the Ohio River.
Speaker 1: That yeah, I think situation is going to be fun. That will be fun. But no, thanks for clarifying that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the the old viaduct will will come down and for for the viaduct shovels in the ground when.
Speaker 3: Next year they'll be doing found work and that's going to take through twenty twenty eight, so you won't see any you know, deck work going up on the new one until twenty twenty eight, and then that'll take about three years for completion.
Speaker 1: All right, with the with that pet what again? It's are people upset about this or were people ready to make concessions anyway? Just get something done, just to get something done, because like groc and I were talking and Willie was talking about it, it seems like every project that comes around in the city, it somehow gets around it being kind of half assed at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Well, those are your words, not mine.
Speaker 1: I know that's my words for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll just say, you know, I haven't I haven't actually talked to any commuters on this latest change. But I think the city is just accepting the reality is the price of materials, the price of labor have gone up, so we want the thing.
Speaker 5: To be built. You know, I asked, is this thing gonna fly? Is it going to happen? Is it going to be delayed?
Speaker 3: And they're, you know, they're very resolute that it's going forward, and that the way to go forward is to you know, right size it or downsize it a bit so that they can match the dollars they have to what it's actually going to cost.
Speaker 5: And get it done.
Speaker 2: So all right, well, Patty, great stuff. I really appreciate you laying this out for us.
Speaker 1: You bet you to take care, take care, Thank you, Batricia Gallagher and Newberry from The Inquirer since ninety dot com. And you know, I look, it's a it's kind of a turn of a phrase, half ast but I know, I mean, seriously, I can't get why she she wouldn't want me to put those words in her mouth because she's a reporter. But right, it kind of doesn't that always see in that way? Yeah, yeah, it does, Yeah it does. And look, it always goes that way.
Speaker 2: It's never like you know what we're able to you know, with the same amount of funds, we're able to reach out to some different contractors and we're able to get more then we normally that that never happens, right, especially when it comes comes to government. So I mean, this is usually the way it goes because well we wanted to you know, have all you.
Speaker 1: Know, gold plated you know, roadways, but that's not gonna happen now. But look at it, you know, kind of the same with the banks, and it seems the same with Great American Ballpark and even to a certain degree, pay Corps and all that stuff. It just seems like, you know, okay, granted, I know it sounds like nothing. Maybe we could save a quarter million dollars here, blah blah blah by doing this. Well, you know what, look at these other stadiums in the other cities. Granted, Vegas has a lot of money, so does LA I get it, But can't we sometimes just put a little extra, just a little kick into it and go, damn am nice, that's nice, No to be, it's adequate.
Speaker 2: On a completely different note here, obviously, we've been talking about the big news that the Sex Elder game that was scheduled for Mason High School this weekend. You know, lots of folks Willie myself very vocal byt let's move that thing to pay Corps and do it right. Officially came down and that's what's going to happen now. Someone who was really integral in making this happen, and I talked to her, Denise Treehouse, and she just released a statement quote, there will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for so many young men who take the field Friday night. Pay Corp is a publicly owned stadium and it only makes sense that the public should be able to access it for big events like Elder versus Sex. I'm grateful for Katie Blackburn and the Bengals organization and partnering to make this happen. This is one of my main points in our recent lease negotiations. Hopefully it's indicative of many similar events to come. So again, that's a statement from Denise tree House and I definitely want to reach out and say thank you to Commissioner dree House for really pushing.
Speaker 1: That getting that thing done. Job, well done, awesome. Coming up, we got traffick in weather what is going on? Talking to Petty Newbery from the Inquirer, and we were talking about how everything tends to be half assed these days. No offense to our friends at the Cincinnati Bengal or what the Bengals or the Reds, but the Reds we are the home with the rest by the way.
Speaker 6: And uh.
Speaker 1: But I was always kind of all right, you build a ballpark, but you go to some of the I've been to other ballparks and they're beautiful, and I would say, and again, I get it, it's a lot of money, but can't we one day around here build something that's built to last for one hundred years. I mean, come on, man, and make it cool and classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess you know, it comes down the money and that you know, do do people want their levies raised and taxes raised and all that. But but I just say, in general, you and I were talking during the break, it's like, there's no buildings that are built like that, just are just top top notch, like both functionally and esthetically. And I think the only place that you see those kind of buildings building anymore, I feel like, are on college campuses, right because because they can go to a donor and say, look, you know this building is gonna have your name on it, right.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we need thirty million bucks.
Speaker 2: And that thing is is built to survive a nuclear bomb and looks unbelievable brick and the whole ornate everything. But yeah, a lot of buildings these days are just office buildings.
Speaker 1: Are you know, just glass boxes?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, And that's what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: The it does make you wonder, just like, Okay, I mean throughout all of history there's needed to be some amount of public money that goes in.
Speaker 1: How come they could be done then?
Speaker 2: Or you know, even fifty years ago, and it doesn't seem like they're done like that anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you had to work with what you had forrest building materials went right, and they only had stone and maybe that's part.
Speaker 2: Of it too, But now there's all these other but everything's like it's like this space age material and it's fireproof and okay, which is great, but you know, but.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at the Empire State Building, for instance, how much would that cost to build today?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then the building go up like like like under the time they they thought it would under budget, like the whole thing that would never happen again, Like yeah, we're just talking about the viaduct skyrocketing costs.
Speaker 1: You got to cut it, cut this, cut back, make it three lanes at A four. And the Empire State Building built in the early thirties that took that thing took a hit from a I don't know if it was I forget if it was a B fifty. It was a big airplane that hit the Empire State Building square in more or less the middle. Fine, okay, it took out a floor. Really, I did not know that story. That's a fact. Look it up. Really yeah, huh, hadn't been up very long, and this plane wasn't a terrorist attack. I don't know if a guy got lost in the fog. I forget what the story is. Just smack right into its back, right into it. Wow, and uh yeah it's still standing. Yeah, it makes you wonder. Well.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things is regulations. You know, back then day had when the Empire state buildings, they had guys up there, no harnesses, just walking around.
Speaker 1: You know, you see those old pictures of those guys out there, they're literally ninety floors up just walking around to eating a ham sandwich, just going about there.
Speaker 2: Is Now there's got to be you know, this safety measure, this harness, this hook, this, can't do this, can't do that, can't do it on this day. I guess all that from what builders say, all that red tape just adds to the cost.
Speaker 1: Well, coming up, put on your safety harness. Because we're going to be talking to the Queen. Now there may be a punting situation.
Speaker 2: You might have to we're trying to get a commissioner Jreehouse to come on and talk about the venue change. But nevertheless, you will be listening to a powerful woman of the tri State after the.
Speaker 1: News right now seven hundred WLW, the Elder.
Speaker 2: Playoff game has in fact been moved from Mason down the pay Court Stadium. And you know something Willie and I were kind of pushing hard for. But someone who deserves a lot of the credit and making this happen is Hamilon County Commissioner Denise Dreehouse. And she joins us right now. Commissioner Dreehouse, how are you.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm in a good mood.
Speaker 4: Yes, let me can.
Speaker 8: I just say though, that it took Willie reaching out to me to put it on my radar, so you know, I wasn't in the loop on this, and so when he told me what was going on, I was like, oh wait a minute. And so so I appreciates credit, but credit where credits due. I mean the impetus came from Willy Cunningham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so explain the machinations going on here? Denise? Where did you go once you had this information?
Speaker 8: So talk to Willie a little bit about it. I'm familiar with Elder and as it's going to Dentilly and what a big rivalry this is. And so I said, oh my gosh, we should so have this down at pay Corps and so I called Katie Blackburn and said, hey, we had been talking through the least the lease we just signed about having high school football games at pay Corpse Stadium, and we were thinking, yeah, we'll work all that out next year, have a model that we can you know, sort through. And it just came sooner than later, that's all. And Katie said, well, yeah, let's see if we can make it happen. And so she and her team reached out to the O H SAA and said, hey, we've got the capacity down here, we think, you know, we're open to this. Would you think about moving it because I'm hearing horror stories right at these schools where that the students can't get tickets, the parents can't get tickets, the teachers can't get tickets, and so we just they took us from there. But the Bengals did a lot of the groundwork here and then finally got in okay, And then it took you know, the County Commission to say.
Speaker 4: Ye to it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was the issue a lot of folks that it reached out to me and you know, we're kind of screaming, look, you know, nothing against Mason High School.
Speaker 1: Great place.
Speaker 2: But since it's about you know, six thousand people, and you go to just your average regular season Elder game and there's eight ten thousand people. You go to your average regular season, say next game, there's eight ten thousand people at that thing.
Speaker 1: So it just it's crazy.
Speaker 2: And you know, they released the tickets during school hours, so a lot of the students, who yeah, I mean, you want the students to be at the game. That's the lifeblood of high school football is having the you know, the kids there and stuff. So I guess, I mean, I mean talk about some of the other I guess hurdles that had to.
Speaker 1: Be you know, kind of overcome here to make this happen to.
Speaker 8: These well there there Actually there's quite a bit to it when you talk about the personnel that needs to be down there at the safety of the stadium, you know, opening that thing up on a day that you didn't anticipate. Remember the Beangals are in town on Sunday, so that's a quick turnaround for them. We can do it, but it's no small task to turn that around. So they worked well with us. They had to run through all that they were working last night through the night trying to figure out whether or not they could pull it off for Friday. And then I heard from Katie this morning and she said, yep, she said, we can do it. We just need the nod FROMHSAA. And then that came, and then we had to get approval from the county commissioners and so that came, and it's like, so everything just kind of fell into place. But you know, hopefully this will serve as a model as we move into next year and we get more aggressive about being on the radar WITHSAA. I don't want to do this this way next time, right. I want to be on the radar and have them thinking through oh wait a minute, pay course and option. Why don't we have some of our games down there? Because I want this to be open to any high school team that you know in this kind of game. I mean, this is exciting stuff for the community and by the way, the taxpayers on the stadium, and so I think we should let them use it.
Speaker 2: And look, when you're talking about the regional finals every year, it's going to be one or multiple of these schools. It's going to be Saint Axe is gonna be Outer, It's going to be Molder. It's going to be you know, it could be Leasal, could be La Cota West. You know, I mean you you're talking about some and others I haven't mentioned, but you're talking all big time fan bases. So I mean, no matter who of a bunch of like say a group of ten teams, any one of those are going to bring a big fan base. So it just makes sense to just let's make this precedent set right now that the regional finals are going to be held to pay for it.
Speaker 1: That'd be great.
Speaker 8: I think that'd be great too, but that's not my decision.
Speaker 1: To make right right.
Speaker 8: But here we are right doing this setting a precedent. You know, this is again this is the first four a because commissioners have said, we said all along we want to bring more concerts and football games into this facility. So here we are right, and it's and it's quicker than we anticipated. But let's get this right. Let's figure out all the details, and then next year will be set and ready to go to you know, try to promote this pay course sitium for some more of these games.
Speaker 1: County Commissioner Denise Treehouses our guest and Denise So who I don't know understand, not that it matter, just one of those behind the scenes thing that I was thinking about, who who staffs or who staffs the stadium on a on a night like this. Do the Bengals supply the staff does the county? How does that work? I have no idea.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Bengals manage all of that. And so this is why it was so important that they reach out to OHSAA, because you know, there are those kinds of technical questions on what do you need, what do we need to open up? How many people do we need in there? And so it was critical that the Bengals do that outreach, which they happily did because they're excited about this too. And so you know, it hasn't always been this kind of relationship with the Bengals, the Bengals in the county, but I think to see, you know, it's a new day. We've got the least behind us, and so this is a new posture between the Bengals and the county and I think it's it's a good thing for the community that we're all working together.
Speaker 2: Well, like you said, hopefully that the precedent is set that this is kind of the situation moving forward. If I can be of service and helping with that for next year next please let me know because because I think it'd be fantastic for the community. But Commissioner Drea House, we really appreciate your time and great job, and thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yep, got it. Denise Dreehouse are our guest, and uh, yeah, that's man. Talk about getting a lot of there's a lot of machinations going on to open that thing.
Speaker 2: There is, yeah, just a lot of moving parts, but it just takes you know, the willingness to do it. And where I had started to hear that this may happen, I have, you know, some police friends, and they had put internally put out hey, uh you know, there were just with people to see if they will be available to work police details down at the game. So once you heard that, you knew that the wheels were certainly in motion here.
Speaker 1: Well, Rock, I don't know if you got another call to together for us, but I'm saying that we might have Kerry Combs on the line. Kerry Combs on the line, I do believe he is. Kerry Combs, Welcome to the program.
Speaker 8: Hey, how you guys do today? Good?
Speaker 2: Now, if you're talking tri state football, okay, you're talking about the love that is the Cincinnati area. It begins and ends with Carry Combs, Carrie, how are you, brother, Rocky.
Speaker 9: I'm fantastic. I gotta tell you. I just called because this is a big deal playing this game at pay Corps. And you know, the Bengals deserve a ton of credit because this is not easy for them to do, and it's not just open up the stadium and let people come in. I mean it affects the coaches and the players and everybody affiliate with the Bengals, you know, the Brown family. This this is significant. And I know Mike Brown loves high school football. I know how it feels about it. I had a great opportunity to coach down there in that stadium and some pretty dagon big games, and it was it was a phenomenal experience for my players and and it's something they'll never forget. So I'm expecting they're going to get forty your fifty thousand people down there this weekend. You got two great high school teams with great tradition, two great coaches. It's just really exciting that they're that they're gonna do that. I just tell you, it just makes me love being a Cincinnatian.
Speaker 1: Rocky, you know what I mean, there's no doubt, bro.
Speaker 2: And and look, you know when I played, when you were coaching these these big regional playoff games, they were at Knipper, they were at you know, at the time, Paul Brown Stadium. For what a reason that that went away my understanding. And you may know this, Carrie, like the reason why they can't be held at Nipper anymore is as a recruiting violation.
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that what you've heard as well? It is, okay, it.
Speaker 9: Is, And it was so frustrating last year we were gonna play. We were trying to get the city championship down there because you know, those kids, uh from the city schools don't get to play in some of those environments and stadiums, and so we were gonna do a doubleheader uh city championship games down there, and uh NCAA wouldn't let us do it. And you know we used to have the early season the opening game there and and everybody played and everybody went. They can't I can't imagine in any conceivable way that that's some kind of recruiting advantage. And never never felt that way. I was on both sides of it as a high school coach and as a college coach. Never felt like that at all. It just felt like this is where people ought to be. I mean, I don't know if you played in games down there. I coached in a ton of them effort where people were hanging off the rafters. It was sold out. We lived out before they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, played three of them down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Wow.
Speaker 9: Fantastic, And so I'm really glad the Bengals stepped up. I'm just telling you, man, it just and you guys had a big part in it. Don't think that you didn't. Between Willie and you getting it on the air and pumping that and uh you know, uh God bless mus Greehouse and Katie obviously for putting it together because that's not easy for the Bengals. I'm telling you that Bengals deserve a ton of credit on this. This is a huge, huge thing for them, and it's only because they love high school football. My guess is ROCKETF you go around, uh the other thirty two thirty one NFL teams, you probably aren't going to find any high school games being played in any of those seams to the home game on Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's that's a great point. Well, well, now all these happenings, you need to be out there for the opening coin flip. I mean, let let's make this thing full circle, right, Let's get the embodiment of high school football out there and flip the coin.
Speaker 9: Right, It'll be, it'd be. It'd be a ton of fun. I love seeing Doug and Steve and love seeing the game.
Speaker 4: It would be.
Speaker 9: It just does my hard good. High school football Cincinnati is different than anywhere else.
Speaker 1: I've told you that.
Speaker 9: I told people that all over the country it just is, and uh in the state of Ohio, but especially in Cincinnati, it's it's remarkable and I'm just so excited for those teams and those kids and just our town in general. You know, it's just it's what and you know we need that in the fall, right, you need that kind of excitement and energy. It's just just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Carrie very Well said, we really appreciate calling the show and checking in, my friend, and hope you do it again soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: All right, Hey, good luck with your boys teams too.
Speaker 1: Now, thanks, Carry, appreciate you, Bud. Yeah, yeah to Kerry, Kerry Comb's just a bat. How about that Carry comes calling a Rocky show. I thought you would have raised them. I'm like, you didn't tell me this.
Speaker 10: Going on.
Speaker 1: I'm on the phone.
Speaker 2: I was trying to get pull my hair out, trying to get that commissioner of Dreehouse on. I'm trying to get Tim Streed from the OHSA to come on to talk about it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and Carry calls about that. Cool, that's great, he's the best with that. We check in with trafficking weather, What is going on? All right?
Speaker 2: On a completely other tangent here, I saw this story and see, these are the things that interest me. Maybe not well, I know you, you and I are kind of interested in the same things, especially two things. Yeah, but yeah, nonetheless, nonetheless it's generational snakes observed wiping poison off frogs before eating them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the snakes are getting smarter.
Speaker 2: So a royal ground snake was given in a test, was given a potentially lethal frogs was given potentially lethal frogs to eat. Okay, so instead of eating the frogs, was carry poison on top of their skin. The snakes were observed wrapping around the frogs and dragging them to wipe the poison and off before eating. Okay, so he was limited by small sample size. Ten snakes each was presented with three striped poison dark frogs.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I eight these things. They're dead, right.
Speaker 2: Of the ten snakes, six refuse to participate, so they're like nothing because I know it has poison. Four of the snakes engaged in dragging the frog around on its back to get rid of the poison. And then and three of those four snakes survived.
Speaker 1: See now that's all we need to do. Four snakes to develop superior intelligence. Right, because I don't like them, I know you don't like them, and they start getting smart and or growing arms and stuff, I'm out, I'm out. I will. I would tell the story I told a long time ago, and it anybody would have been to the same boat as me. In my in my old house, I was coming up the steps we lived, I've told that before. We lived next to ole woods, so there were all kinds of critters running, you know, roaming around the property. And I went down into the basement to get like we had a fridge down in the basement and went down there to get a popper or whatever the hell with. And I'm walking up the steps and it's kind of dark down there, and I see this. When the kids were little, and I see this. They had all these rubber critters that they played with. And I see once on the on the step in front of me, and I reached down to pick it up, thinking it's a rubber snake. Oh no, it was real, Ian, dude, I about, well, it wasn't. It was just one of those things where I didn't think it was alive. And soon I reached down there and it just went good and wiggled away, and I almost fell backwards down the steps. I was like, I did not expect that. Uh, nor do I want to expect it again.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: With that thought of mind, we check in. Yeah, so we got a state rep out of Matthews up Jornesse. Yeah, he's got some legislation, you know, kind of timely with what we're talking about with getting this high school game moved to pay Corps.
Speaker 1: He's put for some legislation.
Speaker 2: Uh that once you know, anytime you know there's a stadium that has you know, tax dollars involved in it, right, community ownership. Uh, that they that game, that the prices should be on par with what you would get at say a high school venue. So he'll explain that next after the news News Radio seven hundred w l W. All right back with Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 1: And rock this is a this is a kind of cool story here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's timely because we're dealing with the big news that the older sext football game is going to go down to pay for stadium. And by the way, I mean a big shout out to the Bengals or were very interchol and you know, none of this happens without them giving their blessing to have a high scho game in their pro stadium.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: But there's state rep here locally that is introduced some legislation or drafting some legislation whereas any taxpayer subsidized stadium in the state, So that could be the Bengals stadium, that could be the Browns News Stadium, whatever it is. If they're taking taxpayer dollars, a concession would be that they reduce any fees so that tickets would be the same price as your average high school venue.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So again, very very timely, and that State Rep of course, is a good friend of the show, Adam Matthews, who coincidentally is the say next guy?
Speaker 1: Did I mention it? Anyway, Adam Matthews, I welcome to program. How are you.
Speaker 11: Doing great?
Speaker 1: To do it great?
Speaker 11: I'm still excited for these young gentlemen both at Eleder and X where uh they're gonna This has been a once in a lifetime memory. So again, like you said, congratulations and thank you to the Bengals. One of my my formative memories was at Paul Brown Stadium. We beat Cole Raine twelve to nine and to a crowd of tens of thousands, and it's it's incredible. I'm very excited. And the Bingos have stepped up to really build.
Speaker 1: The community here.
Speaker 11: So this is this is wonderful, wonderful news.
Speaker 1: Wonderful news.
Speaker 2: And again timely because you're you're drafting some legislation that I guess it might be beneficial especially to viewers of that might want to go to these kind of games, big games that are held at at bigger stadium.
Speaker 1: So explain what you got going on.
Speaker 12: Yes, so.
Speaker 11: We heard and we're trying to chase down how true of The reasoning was that the OHSAA was did not look at the Bingos Stadium or the other places like that because of cost, and that's really unfortunate. The if you're going to have taxpayer dollars going into these facilities, then they should be community assets. When we look to have the Lender Center of Tennis up in Mason, take taxpayer dollars. We opened it up so that it wouldn't just be it for the professional tournament, but now it has at very low cost. The girls and boys State Tennis finals are there and you look up at the Brown Stadium in that huge infrastructure that's being built out there, and I think that the Bengals are going to look for a renovation. But if you're going to have taxpayer dollars going to this, then when the Bengals and the pros are not using it, it should be available for the community. And what better than Friday night lights so that you can have these venues where State AX and Elder have ten thousand seats on a normal regular season game, so when it gets to these regional finals, you should have venues that have thirty, forty fifty sixty thousand seats and they'll fill up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and available to the every day.
Speaker 2: Right and and to your point with your legislation, I assume the heart of this is in you know, I don't know not the Bengals would do this, I don't think, but that that you know, a pro venue wouldn't all of a sudden want to start charging pro prices where now a ticket to this great playoff high school game is going to cost seventy or no, it's going to be in line with your normal ticket right of you know, seven eight ten bucks that sort of.
Speaker 11: Thing exactly, or that they look at their normal cost of it. It is very expensive, and I understand it's very expensive to run kind of a small city on a NFL game day to make sure that that's not a barrier to entry for these locations to being open to the community.
Speaker 1: And you know, we're talking to Ada Matthews here, stay rep and the guys. One thing I haven't heard are are the schools paying the Bengals to use the stadium? Are they donating? And I have not heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know the details, but imagine new Yeah, well you explain, Adam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, I.
Speaker 13: Know that there's a play in public statement at five o'clock today, and so they'll come out with all of that, and it's still no matter what it is, it's very gracious for the Bengals to respond in this last minute way.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'm sure they organized in a way that's it's not you know, chopping the head off anybody here, right and either school or the HSAA and all that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this is this is fantastic.
Speaker 11: And I also give credit Mason Is where it was going to be located. It's a great stadium. It's just smaller than either the home stadiums of either X or Elder. So this is and a good credit to this agility for everyone coming together to step up, seeing a problem and adjusting very good. And he makes the play call, but you adjust on the field.
Speaker 1: That's the way you do it.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: So with your legislation that you're crafting right now, when do we expect to maybe see that end of the.
Speaker 1: House floor for a vote or get considered or discussed or.
Speaker 11: What so right now, we are working, We are reaching out to HSAA making sure that we don't step on contracts, but want to make sure that it's these communities that love their high school sports, these communities that Live and Die on Friday Night are made home. I believe we'll have something introduced and have committees when we come back early next year. This week is likely our last week before Thanksgiving and Christmas, so we'll get back to work right after that.
Speaker 1: Very good, that's great, Adam.
Speaker 2: Hey, well listen, we appreciate all you're doing here and again especially very timely with what's going on, and I appreciate you coming on the show and keep us posting.
Speaker 1: How this thing goes right. Absolutely all right, thanks so much, Bud. Of course they wrap out of Matthews. So when you were where did you play? When you're in high school? We played Nippert so weight.
Speaker 2: So my freshman year I got the dress varsity and we played at Knippert. And then my let's see, yeah, senior year, we played at Knippert against Hamilton one, and then we played the next week played Moler at Knippert.
Speaker 1: Lost, But yeah, so I've played yeah three times there. What was it as a What was it like as a high school kid playing in front of a crowd like that? I mean, obviously Nippert back then wasn't it wasn't huge like it is now. It was still a damn. But that's the thing. Yeah, it felt you know, even even then, it was like you could really feel like that thing was packed, you know it. No, it was great. That was back and they had the old field turf, I mean, like not field turf, like the old like turf turf, you know.
Speaker 9: What I mean.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I just I recall that. But well, I'm fun My buddies from Dayton a few of them came down here to school and to go to U See, and I remember back then you could walk out in the field at Nippert. We're out there throwing frisbee and just kind of horsing around and stuff, and nobody has said anything to us.
Speaker 4: Have some fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let it go have fun. All right? With that, we check in with traffic and weather, what is going on?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 1: Back with Eddie and Rocky coming up after the bottom of the hour news, we're gonna be talking to our good friend Dave Hatter about this cloud flair thing that happened today. Now you didn't experience it, right, I did not, because every any website I tried to go on, well it kind of alternated, you know. I tried to access my work email, nothing hornwork try to access those other sites. Thank god. Any right, that's where you had to. I had some to do, but no, but any anyway by leg Cincinnati dot cot and it didn't matter. Then I would go back to it a minute later and it would work. And that's what we're going to talk to him about that. Apparently this was I guess worldwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, yeah, per down Detector. Some of the websites hit were x A League of Legends, Grinder.
Speaker 1: Which I know you That's what I was. Bump we all.
Speaker 10: Some I'm old, I don't care anymore, something called anyway I can't even know. I'm move on real quick. At six and eight tonight, last Callista is going to have Pat Kelsey. Right, other than the high school football game, there's a big UC versus Louisville basketball game.
Speaker 2: And so I was going to talk that big game and I'm sure I know, give information about tickets and all that sort of thing, but that'll be good. In other news, ed on This Day in History nineteen ninety three. If you tuned into one MTV, you might have heard this song. They're very famous. Nirvana and Plugged recorded their on This Day in History. They actually recorded their MTV Unplugged Special.
Speaker 1: At Sony Studios in New York. They of course played a set list really have kind of lesser known stuff right their own songs. Yeah, this is like this is a David Bowie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some meat puppets, you know whatever. But this, I remember this album was huge in nineteen ninety three thirteen. I had to tell everybody had this tape. Everybody, and this was just really groundbreaking stuff to see this grunge kind of heavy band sit there.
Speaker 1: And now I wasn't truly unplugged. It was just toned down. But yeah, no, no, less you get the idea. For my money, if this isn't the best unplugged show, I'd like to know what's better in that. But it's certainly in top two or three. I'm trying to think of another good one. Alison Chains, I would say those two are neck and neck. I would go, this is the best one. I can't argue. I'm not going to argue, but right below that would be the Alison Chains one. Because well, I told that story not too long ago. I put that on in a CD in my truck and we were driving back from Gatlinburg, and Dev says this is good.
Speaker 4: Who is this?
Speaker 1: Because I had said it wasn't she said in Nirvana and she's like, no, no, no it's not. But pound for you know, that'd be a good topic one day because one of the I think I've told you this before, look it up because it's really good. L L cool J Mama said, knock you out. I was just gonna mention that dude that live he killed it. I know it was kind of like, Okay, this is going to be corny, but it was like, this is pretty good. Yeah, you know, he's pretty talented.
Speaker 2: Now I was looking, so I'm looking up here list of artists featured by MTV and plugged. I remember one of the very first ones I saw, and this is nineteen eight one, the first year they did this.
Speaker 1: Now I remember it.
Speaker 2: Ten thousand maniacs. That was because then, you know that was that was a huge, huge song. Let's see who else, Great White, I don't remember them doing it. I remember I don't remember Aerosmith doing it either.
Speaker 1: Remember that one.
Speaker 2: Eric Clapton, Oh clap he did Layla unplugged oust and iconic Tears in Heaven. Tears in Heaven brought the house down, brought the house down. Yes, so I don't even I don't remember. I remember Katie Lang doing Okay, Bruce Springsteen, I remember him.
Speaker 1: Doing oh yeah he did see again. He was kind of like I wasn't really unplugged. It was kind of sort of just like Nirvana down a little bit not ye So yeah, no, I mean that was that was just that was great. I think your good friends did it. I'm trying to forget that you were probably did you too do it. I'm sure that's probably when they stopped doing there like this ain't working, you know, and i' remember that, but I'm pretty sure that you did it. They certainly did.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking at like the last year, God that they did this all the way until now again I'll learn what.
Speaker 1: You know and what the form it took. But I mean this says it going all the way to I mean way late.
Speaker 2: I mean after a while, it wasn't like the true unplugged some yeah here in two thousand and one, Ram, yeah, Lauryn Hill remember that one, kind of so lots more set.
Speaker 1: I remember that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're gonna be talking to our good friend Dave Header about this cloud flare thing that happened this morning, but now it's the news News Radio seven hundred w L All right back with Eddian, Rocky and Rocky. This morning. You said you did an experience, but it was kind of it was very dodgy with me, and I thought it was just my home internet screwing up again, because it's kind of screwy. But a cloud flare, it's crowded. Cloud flare is a well, let's let's ask our guy here, Dave Header about it. Hey, Dave, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 4: I'm good, guys, how you doing it?
Speaker 1: So what why don't you explain to us what cloud flare is? I've seen that screen before that popped up this morning. I got told rock I was just trying to access my work email and I get this cloud flare screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny you mentioned that, Ed, because I saw a lot of systems down all over the internet. In fact, just looking at a quick short list here e commerce platform, Shopify, job search Engine, indeed, anthropics, claud chatbot, elon Musk's platform X down Detector, which is a site many people use to try to figure out is there some sort of widespread out it's going on? Ironically, it was down itself, and apparently open Ai, which makes Chatchyputine sort had some of their apps down, So cloud Flare is kind of hard to explain to someone who's not a nerd. Basically, imagine a company that provides a variety of services something called content caching, where they can copy the content of your website and then move it to different servers all around the Internet so it's closer to places. So instead of having to go maybe multiple hops off the Internet to get to it, they can pull it from a server that's closer so it loads faster. That's one of the things. It's called content delivery or content delivery network. They act as a reverse proxy, which is basically fancy nerd speak, where they sit in between a user and your website and when someone requests the content from your website or a web based application again Shopify, things like that, they're sitting in between there, you're hitting them first, and then they check out that request, try to determine isn't rigit doesn't have any kind of malicious content, and then stow it on to the legitimate site. And they also try to stop distributed denial of service attacks. I'm sure we've talked about that in the past, the idea where you have Internet of Things devices, maybe at one time set top cable boxes. We're co opted by bad guys and they use these things that just launch enormous amounts of traffic at certain websites to try and bring them down, just overload them with so many requests. So those are three of the main things cloud player is doing. And I've seen numbers of twenty percent of the entire Internet is using one or more of these services from crowdflay. So if they have a hiccup like we saw today, it's pretty pretty catastrophic to a substantial portion of the Internet. Thankfully they were able to fix it fairly quickly.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I mean, so, I mean, how how often can we expect these things?
Speaker 4: Well, Rocky hopefully not at all. And you know, one of the concerns I have had talk to you guys about, I talk about this all the time, is we are moving so fast with all this technology. You know, we just saw the AWS outage a week of TJ that knocked out a substantial portion of the Internet. You guys may recall we talked about the crowd strike outage, where you have what is ASSINCI, an antivirus program that, due to an update, caused a massive outage across the internet last year. And my concern with all of this is our society is increasingly reliant on all this technology, like you said, educating and get your email. You know, lots of sites were down and while you know some video game site is down, that's one thing. If people's businesses are down because they've relied on one of these services, that's a real problem. And especially if it affects our critical infrastructure. If you can't roll ambulances, if you water plant goes down, if the electrical grid goes down as a result, who be saying it's a serious problem. And you know, my concern with all of this is most software and you know this is all software making this work is really not focused on security and robustness and uptime. It's focused on things like speed the market, ease of use, and market share. And you know, when there are ways to build systems that are resilient and very difficult to break down. I mean, you know, you get hit with an EMP, you get hit with a solar storm, there's probably nothing you could do about that. But you can build systems that are resilient, It costs more money, it takes more time, it's more difficult to do, and you know, when you see these kind of outagies, it really makes me concerned. Thankfully, there are organizations out there like SAISM, a Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, push the idea of secure by design and focus on critical infrastructure, because even though this is a private company, you could argue it's critical infrastructure because so many other companies rely on them for protection and to speed things up and so forth. And you know, as a society, we have just got to get serious that think it's serious, and you've got to do it now about building systems that are resilient and focused on uptime. Because this is only down for a couple hours for the most part. Imagine if this were still down, or if it were down for days or weeks, what a problem this would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and David, how does that? How does this get repaired? Well, you said fairly quickly, But it said it was taken care of by you know, early morning. But I'll tell you it was. It was affecting my computer until shoot, almost noon, I would say.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So according to one article that I read, it said a few sites came back online within a few hours. Now, cloud Fare, like all of these large Internet cloud based companies, will have some kind of status page administrator, whatever you want to call it. You can kind of go see what's going on again. A lot of people will use the website downdetector dot com, which ironically was knocked out by this at least for a short period of time. Of course, you know cloud Fare, a cloud FLARIR spokesperson said, quote, the root cause of the average was an automated generated configuration file used to manage spread traffic that grew beyond the expected size of interesting entries and cause the crash and the system that handles traffic for several of its services. Was first reported around five twenty am, so it was mostly fixed by about ten am. But again, guys, when you read what they said, first off, they're saying not a cyber attack. This is essentially a configuration slash software error. Configuration error slash software error. And again, people write this software. You know, That's what I did for over twenty five years. People make mistakes, and when you have critical services that rely on this stuff, you really can't afford these kind of mistakes. Again, Thankfully they were able to get to the bottom of it quickly. But to me, this is just another indication, especially in light of the AWS outage and these other outages we've seen. And I'll just say this, guys, without going too far down the rabbit hole, the idea of any kind of central bank digital currency, if you want to know why, it's a terrible idea, despite the privacy and surveillance aspects. Just imagine this takes down the banking system for three or four days and you can't you can't get any kind of money because it's all digital. Think about how that would work out.
Speaker 2: I wonder what, because I feel like that's going to happen, is everyone gets further and further away from using real money. I mean some places don't, I mean increasingly more and more don't even don't take money.
Speaker 1: Don't take money.
Speaker 2: And yes, what happens if a computer crashes, are a cloud flare happens, Everyone's going to lose your mind, you know, especially if it happens over the course of three days or a week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a I know people don't like to talk about this. I know people don't like to think about this, but again, Rockie we have just got to get serious about as we become increasingly reliant on this technology, making sure that the fundamental focus is on up time and resilience as opposed to things like cost and market share and so forth, because once this goes down for any extinct it's going to be a major problem, especially again if it can take down on critical infrastructure sectors like the electrical grid or water plants or you know, emergency services. Think about the potential negative consequences of that. Now, again they have said very clearly. Again to their credit, they have apologized. They've come out and said, this is our fault, this is unacceptable. So from a Cloud Flair perspective, I think they've done.
Speaker 1: Everything above board.
Speaker 4: But again, just imagine the potential consequences that this wouldn't have been able to be restored a quickly, whether it's simply loss of business or critical services, police fire, ambulance can't get out. We got to get really serious about this, and we've got to do it soon, Dives, and I just can't stratad enough. Thankfully, there are people out there talking about this, but I don't know that enough people are taking it seriously and that we're focusing on the right things.
Speaker 1: All right with that, Dave hadd we can We've been talking about this forever. I mean, you kind of turned the sword to the possibilities here, and I just know just from watching it happen around here. If you remember, we all remember if a couple of you know, whenever, that was a few years back when the hurricane came through here and power was knocked out all over the city. Now, think about that, if something like that, a cyber attack takes out the power of grid and whatever area for four or five days, two weeks, whatever the case might be, it would be panic, it'd be nuts.
Speaker 4: I agree with you, because the last time the power was out for any extended period of time, I'm thinking it was like two thousand and eight due to that hurricane. I went like a whole week without power at my house. We weren't nearly as dependent on this stuff as we are today, and the more and more dependent we get on it, the more critical it's going to be to ensure that these systems are you know, have like six nine seven nine eight nine up time where you know the likelihood of it going down is virtually zero. We've got to get there or we're we're in a bad place if we don't. So we got to focus on secure by design.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: With with that, Dave Hadter, we will let you go, buddy. Always a pleasure, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, have a good one day.
Speaker 1: Thanks buddy, down in your in your cellar their son. Yeah back then there, but it is okay. We're helpless when it comes to stuff, when it comes to internet stuff. I know, I am, like I said, I just kept you know, I'm trying to get on my work email and I can. I've said that looking on my iPad, Like, what's wrong with you? What's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: It's like a god given right, basic human rights. You are to have the internet work when I want to watch a funny cat video?
Speaker 4: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Are you always working?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 11: You doing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Stop?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just work?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And there's I mean, I mean, think about the things increasingly in our society that you absolutely is your idea how they work.
Speaker 1: And they just work. So you just expect it to work.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: Just then when it doesn't, you go, well, then you realize you have absolutely no idea how to fix it? Correct? Yeah you know, oh yeah, just keep trying it. That's why when it comes to the computer stuff, that's all. That's all I can do. I just like keep trying it until it works, or I go unplug something and plug it back in and see if that work.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, the worst thing that would happen would be, you know, if you ran out of wood or coal, you couldn't eat your home. But you know, as long as you can figure out a way to get that one, you could fix your problem. And now I don't know, I don't know how to. We can't even order a pizza without without the internet anymore.
Speaker 1: Right there? You go, helpless? Help with that. We check in with traffic and weather. What is going on, Rocky? This sounds like something out of an old movie or something. This happened in Australia. Deborah Brown and her her family were cleaning up a beach near their hometown in Western Australia and they were just you know, picking up the litter and whatnot, and they found an old bottle okay, washed up one shore. All right, I know this is going It turned out to be two guys who were heading off to fight in World War One? What wow? Very cool? How about that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: The uh, there were two letters in there dated nineteen sixteen. The two guys were shipping out to head off to well obviously to Europe. Then so these people found it and blah blah blah put it on social media. They traced down these people's relatives all these years where they're obviously their ancestors at this stage of the game. It was Private Malcolm Neville and Private William Harley. Private Neville's records show that he was initially discharged due to his poor eyesight, but then re enlisted a couple of weeks later.
Speaker 2: Here's so many stories about that, whether if someone was a little bit too young, bad eyesight, found no way to sneak in, said his great his great nephew.
Speaker 1: I think that just shows you his character, how determined he was. Sadly, Private Neville was killed in action in France at the age of twenty eight, but his buddy Private Harley did get home. His granddaughter and Turner said finding the letters was like a miracle. Were absolutely stunned. But try to imagine that man, that is something like out of a dream that you would, oh, look at I'm thinking it's going to be some kid who was on a field trip, and that they threw it in the water about a week and a half ago. Right, No, nineteen sixteen. Now have you ever put a note in a bottle? I've done it probably three or four times. Oh is that right? Yeah, I'm mahma stooing in there. Did you get anything back? Nothing? Well, one time this model reached out to me, and you know, I was like, you know, I'm already taken. Yeah, comb yeah, yeah. But Gwen Stefani was probably walking along the beach and Clink always picked up with her toe and was like, oh, what's this looking for? Just like a nice, you know, redhaired guy, fairly from the Midwest. But unfortunately she had just married Blake. Were shut down coming up, We're gonna we got I guess here. This is very cool. I happened to stumble across her reels on Facebook and obviously on Instagram as well. Sammy Riggs is her name. She writes songs. She's a singer songwriter, and she kind of every week writes the Bengals Diddy. We'll be talking to her about how she got into this and what it's all about. They're pretty. She actually does a killer version of Zombie by the Cranberrys, which I know you like heck yeah, and it's about the Bengals. Call hear it coming up right now. It's the News News Radio seven hundred w LW right back with Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 4: And Mark.
Speaker 1: I've seen this woman on Facebook on her seen her reels. She is a singer songwriter and just kind of in her spare time, she has deemed to write a Bengals song pretty much every week after the Bengals games.
Speaker 2: And there they're thematic right like they they fit the theme. The song fits the theme of what mayor may not have.
Speaker 1: Happened, generally in the style of another artist.
Speaker 12: Yes, Londer, our hearts the seasons over of their dry and only so much can be expected. It's the same old thing with the third youby.
Speaker 1: It's been said, it's been said, we won't stoup whining Brownie back up, and we have her with us right now. From a dry Ridge to your radio. Is that our friend Sammy Riggs? Sammy, welcome to the program. Hello, So is Sammy singer songwriter Dry Ridge? Explain your story because you just want a songwriting award in Nashville? Is that correct?
Speaker 12: So it's Nashville, Indiana?
Speaker 1: But yes, well, heye's na, that's it. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 12: So yeah. So I grew up in Northern Kentucky. I've been playing music since I was really young.
Speaker 9: And.
Speaker 12: I mean I've always been a songwriter, but I feel like I've really honed in on the craft probably over the last five.
Speaker 4: Years or so.
Speaker 12: And I definitely have always used humor to relate to people, and so with the Bengals songs, it was just kind of a way to recap what has happened during games during the season, and I kind of started doing it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Very nice.
Speaker 2: So, so are all the songs you write or perform? Are they themed around sports or local events that are things that are happening in the world.
Speaker 4: Or what.
Speaker 12: Every I write about everything. So I have original music on Spotify. Those are obviously more serious songs. So I mean, really, if you're friends with a songwriter, anything can be turned into a song. So you have to be careful what you do and say you might end up in a song.
Speaker 1: It's like Taylor Swift, right as you write a song about you.
Speaker 12: Now, I mean pretty much Taylor and I are very close in age, so when she was, you know, coming into the picture, I was still in high school, and so I actually had a lot of animosity towards her. When I was younger, I think there was a lot of jealousy of like, man.
Speaker 5: She's doing what I want to be doing.
Speaker 12: But now obviously, like I have so much respect for her. But yeah, I just really enjoy just writing and I always want to make people laugh if I can.
Speaker 2: You know, right now in your career doing this, can you recall or take us back to a moment when you had one hit big right or like got a lot of attention, you know, because like music business is tough. You can do this for a long time and kind of go unnoticed, but do your call one that really got a lot of play and kind of got you a little recognition.
Speaker 12: I mean, honestly, up until now, the Bengals stuff has probably gotten me more recognition than anything, just because you know, the algorithm and people seeing things through the years, just being a local and you know, playing throughout the area. I've had people following me for a while just from like singing in bars, restaurants and things like that. But I feel like up until now I've kind of been and part of it too, is just the grind of like getting myself out there more, getting my original music out there more. So I feel like over the past year or two that's kind of it's it's just all taking off more. But I think also because I've been focusing on that more.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sam with you Rigaz our guest and now are do you find the because it sounds like you just started doing this for fun writing the Bengals song the Bengals songs? Are Are you feeling pressure now that after every game people are going, Okay, when's the net? What's summarize my feeling of the song? Is this one going to be Guns and Roses, Latest Laws or what explained?
Speaker 12: I definitely feel a lot more pressure now. When I first started doing it. I mean, obviously I started doing it because it was fun and it was just being silly, but I mean there was a lot of nervousness of like, is anyone going to care about this? And so when I started doing it a couple of years ago, there would be weeks where I didn't do a song because I'm like, I don't really know if anybodybody really cares about this, And then I would have people say, man, I was looking forward to your song, so then I started realizing that people were kind of paying attention, and I was like, okay, well, if people really care about this, I guess I'll just keep trying to do it. And this season is probably the first season I've really really felt the pressure of like, okay, I got to put out a song and it's not even I mean, okay. So the Thursday night game wide Out with the Steelers. That was an eight o'clock game. I had worked the next day, and I had.
Speaker 1: People like, where's your song? Where's the song?
Speaker 12: I'm the guys, I have a day job. Okay, I don't just this is not what I do for a living. So they had to wait until, you know, after five o'clock on Friday to hear my you know, recap of that game. So, I mean, I'm watching the game and I'm trying to think of songs, and I'm like, can I write this? And I mean on Sunday, I wrote my song in the fourth quarter of the game.
Speaker 6: Pretty much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the story was already told.
Speaker 12: I was told. But you know what the Cardiac Cats, Okay, the which game was it? A couple of games before that, I thought we were going to win the game.
Speaker 4: The Jets game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so I wrote a whole song about winning and then had to throw it.
Speaker 6: All the way.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's you know, there was many writers that write columns about the Bengals had had the same thing happen. So any plans of adopting this to Reds games, you know, there's only one hundred and sixty two of them, so yeah, you know, Cutch quick turnaround, bang those out like four or five a week, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 12: I mean, I follow the Reds, but I'm I don't know as much about baseball as I do about football, So that's my only That would be the difficult part for me there. But I mean, even with the football stuff, I have moments where I'm like, I mean, you're never going to satisfy everyone's thought in a song. And so even with you know, the songs that I'm posting, I'll have commentary on and of like, well, the defense actually did good this game, but the offense and it's like, okay, I know, but like notoriously, our defense sucks. So that's what I'm capitalizing on. Some people are very literal about it, and they want me to be very detailed, and it's like okay, well, I can only do so much in ninety seconds.
Speaker 1: No, have you gotten any feedback from many of the players at all? Just curious about that.
Speaker 4: No, but I wish I did.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 12: When I wrote the Hallolujah song about Joe Burrow, I was like, maybe he'll see it because I asked him, you know, if you ever want to collab because he plays piano.
Speaker 10: Now let me know.
Speaker 2: Every big maybe you know what, maybe least reach a little less high, maybe get give find them.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've got to get the long snapper. Yeah, yeah, some of them will start slow, might embrace that a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know, no Offen or something or Chase Brown. Chase Brown is having a good year running back. You might want to collab and get a little little pub little mileage for himself.
Speaker 1: It'll be good.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 12: And I will tell you that I wrote a song today about the Spitgate scandal, so I will be posting that tonight about Jamar Chase.
Speaker 1: I saw your post the other day on Facebook and you said I will be spitting out a song in a little bit. Nice. That's great. Yeah, what is this? What is this in the style of or is this a SAMMI original.
Speaker 12: It's not a semi original, it's just a chaboozy.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, ok yeah, And.
Speaker 12: I'm pretty I'm pretty proud of myself.
Speaker 4: For this one.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that'll be posted on Facebook and it's reels and so you're on Instagram, Facebook, I assume both.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and TikTok. But I'll probably I'll probably get home after this and record it and post it sometime this evening.
Speaker 1: All right, Folks just want to want to check this out? Where do they go? How do they follow you? Or check your stuff out?
Speaker 12: If you go to Sammy Riggs dot com, it's s A M I R I G g s dot com, all of my handles are there. It'll take you to my Spotify, my Facebook, my Instagram, and my TikTok as well.
Speaker 1: Now do you play out a lot, Sammy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I do. I I probably play at least three or four shows a month. I've definitely pivoted to doing more original music, so I have. My next show is going to be on Black Friday at Saskate House Revival, and that is going to be all original music. So myself, my friend Kayleen Talent, and my friends Chelsea and Zack of by Salia Gold. It's just going to be a showcase of all the songs that we've written. Nothing about the Bengals though.
Speaker 1: Very cool with that. Sammy wigile A, you go, good luck and keep up.
Speaker 12: The good war kid, thank you very much for having me have a great night.
Speaker 1: Her name is Sammy Riggs. She's from dry Ridge and uh yeah, see, I'm like she's saying she's jealous of Taylor Swift. Well, I'm jealous of people who can do.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I tried to learn how to play guitar. Dude, I couldn't strum a chord. I we know I played. Did I tell you I played drums for the band gun Metal Gray?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, Well let me tell you all about it. They were a metal kind of affair metal hair metal. But we're kind of all over the map.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't like to I don't like to talk about these things. But I don't know. I don't think Gun Metal Gray did a whole lot of James Taylor toun.
Speaker 8: No, we didn't do that.
Speaker 1: We were all over the map, but we played very loud, very average. How long did the did the band last? It's not you know, three years? Well, you know, and that's not twenty five shows a year or anything.
Speaker 2: But you know, of course about two and a half years we played maybe twelve, played a couple of festivals, played a played a barn party.
Speaker 1: Kind of was it. I get the impression it was kind of spinal tappy.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: We were we were decent, you know, we were good. I mean that you guys, you know, didn't get along. And look, there was there was some some you know, there's always the guy. The lead singer generally is the guy.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this our our main argument and was always you know, our lead singer, Ben Wilson, went best friends and were a great guy, good singer. He would always want to play like you b sides off of Motley Cruz, like original first bootleg tape. Right, I'm like, do you gotta play we gotta play stuff people know, you know what I mean, Right, But and you got to play a few songs that are obscure. But there's there would be a couple of people in the art like we played Firewoman by the Cult and you know that's not like a super well known song, but there were a couple of people in the audience are probably like hell yeah, that was a fire woman. Good job we killed that song, by the way, but uh, you know, but then sometimes you would want to play again.
Speaker 4: Just some.
Speaker 1: Some stuff no one knew. I mean, we're not talented enough to carry that. I just see Boyman back there with the headband on the shirt shirt, the sleeless t shirt. Our first show, or it was that.
Speaker 4: It was that.
Speaker 2: We used to go a black sheet was a public house up and cheviot. Our speakers caught fire. We were running so much amperage. These like like small speakers. I'm looking in the back of it and it's like glowing hot. Like, man, this is a problem with that. We check in with traffic and weather of what's going on.
Speaker 1: From the UC. All right, bag with Eddie and Rocky in a long.
Speaker 2: One more segment here and then six oh eight Lance McCallister takes over and he is going to have Pat Kelsey on right out of the gate to talk the big UC Louisville game again.
Speaker 1: That is at six oh eight.
Speaker 2: But until then, ed right, we have our good friend Alex Stone from ABC join us.
Speaker 1: And we've talked about this before, Alex. But I guess it keeps going here.
Speaker 2: More and more athletes and Hollywood stars are getting targeted by home burglar is when they're you know, on TV or on the road trail and that kind of thing.
Speaker 14: Right, Yeah, this is an ongoing problem for athletes and celebrities, and a lot of athletes have DELLA. Then we know Travis Kelsey, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow and celebrities as well. The issue being is pretty clear where they are, and whether they're on TV or they're on social media, everybody knows they're whereabouts. And so this weekend, while shod Or Sanders was making his debut for the Browns, he had his home burglarived and the Sheriff's department to stay around two hundred thousand worth of stuff was taken, and it seemed that at the end of the game when the Browns lost, that Sanders had no idea what was going on. He didn't know about it because he was away and he was playing when he was hit and when he was talking about what was going on in his life after the game.
Speaker 2: I'm just thankful I'm out here, you know, I'm thankful, thankful seeing Autumn Twilt's out there.
Speaker 14: Probably not too thankful once he found out what had gone on at his home. And then this weekend as well, on Saturday morning, the LAPD was called the home of a Real Housewives star, Setting Strack. A dog walker saw signs of a home break in, called police, burglars were gone. And today Strak is putting out security camera footage of the burglars in her home and she says that they stole all of her luxury handbags and her fine jewelry. It's no secret where she lives, and it's no secret that she was at Bravo con in Vegas this weekend. She on the show on Real Housewives Beverly Hills, shows her home and shows everything she's got and where it is. Great thing living in a we get the sun, so there's no secret there. And then about twelve hours later on Saturday, as rain was pouring in LA this weekend, the LAPD was called the bell Air home of Kathy Hilton and TMD says her husband was at home, saw three burglars on the property, but both of them weren't Bravo Khan in Vegas, and it was very publicly known unclear if anything was taken from Hilton's home, But guys, we asked Brad Garrett, former FBI profiler ab Snows law enforcement analyst has taken all this and he says it comes back to the celebrities being easy targets. That it's clear that they're away and probably family members are not in Hilton's case, but for an athlete, family members are there watching them play and nobody will be home.
Speaker 6: As you look at these three cases, these are high profile folks, two of them from a reality television show and one a professional football player, but they all three have one thing in common. There are a way from their residences and because so many people know who they are, quite possibly maybe even where they live, because that's not that difficult to figure out. We have seen a string of high profile celebrities and professional athletes houses broken into.
Speaker 14: I got to go back to when we've covered these previously with celebrity break ins, and really the one involving Jennifer Aniston when a stoker tried to get in a few months ago but was stopped because she had high level armed security who responded and held it a gunpoint. And law enforcement tells us celebrities and athletes really need twenty four to seven armed security because even if you have an alarm system, a lot of them, don't use it. But if they haven't turned on, police still aren't going to get there quickly enough, typically before burglars can get in and get out, or get in and threaten somebody with a gun. And yeah, if it's a celebrity, hold the hostage or whatever. So that's the critical difference beyond just alarm system. But LAPD brass are saying, whether you're here or you know you're in Cleveland, that highly trained, real armed security is what makes the difference. To have your own like police department to stop an intruder. But that's super expensive. It's intrusive to have people constantly doing rounds on your property and to have cars idling out front, but that can make all the difference to preventing one of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I'm one of these multimillionaire stars of some again, like you said, Jennifer Aniston, if I've got that kind of money, man, I'm going to be as safe as possible.
Speaker 14: You know, I'm want somebody there, And I mean it really is expensive. If you're thinking you're paying for usually multiple people twenty four hours a day, I mean you're potentially talking millions of dollars a year because of all their equipment and their training and then everything else. And if it's each individual person, depending on how good they are, then it's going to be costly. But in the case of Jennifer Aniston, those two or three security guards who were working that day and were armed, they were able to stop that intruder and hold them until the LAPD got there, whereas others just hop the fence and they go right in and can do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: That's rough, man, that's wrong. And like you said, yeah, it does seem simbol. Just hire somebody, but that that that has a cost. And and and that's even you know, that level of security requires a big cost. I'd hires and call it a day's good.
Speaker 14: You would think, well, just get camera as well. I mean, look at the strack that she has cameras and she's sharing the footage today, But what good is it when they're just wearing masks and hoodies and yeah, you can't see who they are anyway. And a lot of times now they use Wi Fi jammers to jam the signal anyway if it's not a wired camera. So I mean, that's good after the fact, but in the moment, those cameras aren't going to do much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and it is so easy, it appears, I like, so we really appreciate it. Man, thanks so much.
Speaker 14: You got to thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean I would, honestly, god, I would be scared to death most of the time if I was one of these people, if I didn't have that kind of security. You know what I'm saying, Because you have a target on your back. Man, people are looking, yeah, look and everybody knows.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Part of it two is you're on social media, so people know, okay, well you're not at your house or or you are at your house, and they want to you know what I mean, like they kind of know where you can't hard to like just kind of you.
Speaker 1: Know, become unknown anymore.
Speaker 2: If you're one of these big stars where I think it used to be able to do that a little bit, at least your private residence was.
Speaker 1: Off limits or not really known where that was. But now no holds barre okay, rock before we get out of here. In other news, this is being reported in the Philippines. This is the some doctors there have documented the case of a woman whose armpits laate milk what uh gros but hand rows. But we yeah, dermatiz Just, writing in the Journal of Blah Blah Blah, said the patient was born with extra breast tissue on both sides of her under arms, which swelled up after she delivered a baby and produced milk secretions from the overlying hair follicles. It didn't bother when she was pregnant or breastfeeding. The doctor said, it effects you know, fewer than six percent of women. Rock six percent of women. It's a lot of women I have never met. So they just like when they're lactating or whatever, like it just it comes out their armpits. Awful, it leaks out of their hair follicles. How bad would that freak out?
Speaker 10: God?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Hell? How come every time of the baby nurses, I get like, right, oh my god, baby licking your armpits and stick? Are you sure you're hungry?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Sure, you want to eat? But it's just, uh, you know, it's amazing. Uh just the various I like I said, six percent of women that effects one When you think you would have heard of that before, because I haven't heard of it and everything. Never never heard of it. But yeah, well there you go. And uh so that that baby's got leftovers, I guess with the with that in mind, let's that gross thought in mind. Yeah that is, that's that's good. Leave a bad daste in everybody's mouth. But right now it's traffic and weather. What is going on