Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again.
Speaker 3: Brgaray running back to get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasse. Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. The Pirates score four runs in the eighth inning to beat the Dodgers tonight by a final score of nine to eight.
Speaker 1: Show Hey.
Speaker 2: Otani was allowed to go into the seventh inning, and he did get the first two outs of the seventh, but three runs scored in that seventh inning and Otani did not finish. And look, Utan has made it very clear about his intentions and the purpose and the goal of pitching this year. And the reality is it's going to be a challenge for Otani to a qualify for the era title. He's going to need one hundred and sixty two innings to be able to qualify for that ra title. By the end of the year, you got Christopher Sanchez and Jacob Mizarowski pitching every fourth or fifth day. Sanchez has the longest scoreless inning streak by a left hander this year. He's likely going to be the National League All Star starter in Philadelphia. It's an uphill battle. And if you really do take a step back and examine Otani's pitching season, it's been good and what he's done is remarkable, no doubt, slam dunk MVP and possibly one of the greatest seasons we have ever seen by any player in baseball history. But if you're just solely judging him on pitching and winning the Cy Young Award, maybe in another down year he may If it was between him and Mason Miller, I would say yes, his chances would it would be much greater than what they are right now when you have two outstanding starters like Sanchez and Misowski doing what they're doing. So my point is he was going into the seventh inning tonight, so he could qualify for being one of the r leaders, maybe the er leader, but.
Speaker 1: For only one night.
Speaker 2: Because that qualification would have gone away by the next time he started a game, so his pitch count was in check.
Speaker 1: Don't get me.
Speaker 2: Wrong, he was in the low eighties when he started that seventh inning. But the reality is he's dealing with a blister on his right middle finger that a trainer came out and checked on in the inning before. So why is he going back out there for the seventh inning? Is it solely about trying to qualify for the ERA leaders. I mean, there's no I just I didn't see what good could have come out of him going out for the seventh inning, except for the mere fact that you know, we saw the implosion of Kyle Hurt and Jack Dryer, who you know, Jack Dryer has not been as good as he was a year ago, and Kyle Hurt was completely off his game. So it's hard to argue against maybe a sixty or seventy percent Otani going out there for the seventh inning. And Max Munsey's error in that seventh inning to allow that ground ball to go under his glove was a huge mistake, allowing another run to score, especially when incredibly, after Orotani throws one hundred and two pitches, he hits a two run home run in the ninth inning to bring the Dodgers within one run in the ninth inning off of Gregory Soto, who's been very shaky of late for Pittsburgh as their closer. I mean, that was a big run that much allowed to come in, and Munsey has been outstanding defensively at third base. That was just that was a big mistake, I'll just put it that way. Obviously, bigger mistakes by Kyle Hurt walking the first two batters in the eighth inning. It just was one of those nights for Kyle Hurt, and he just couldn't.
Speaker 1: Get out of his own way.
Speaker 2: Tyler Callahan hitting a go ahead, three run home run and all of that put a damper on Ryan Ward hitting his first career Grand Slam in.
Speaker 1: The sixth inning with two outs.
Speaker 2: Ironically, it's Ryan Ward who's been waiting for his opportunity, a twenty eight year old rookie, finally getting his opportunity because of the injury to ta Oscar Hernandez, who comes up with the big hit of the game. After Kyle Tucker, the high priced free agent signing, strikes out again in a big spot.
Speaker 1: With the bases loaded.
Speaker 2: It was Ryan Ward that picked up Tucker and the dog in the sixth inning, because that would have been a huge missed opportunity. Bases loaded one out and you don't score a run. If it wasn't for Ryan Ward's grand slam in that sixth inning, I think we'd be a little bit more frustrated and upset talking about this game tonight. So it was Ryan Ward, the twenty eight year old rookie picking up the guy that's making sixty million this year, who struck out with the bases loaded ahead of him. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from manager Dave Roberts on sports and at LA.
Speaker 4: I think I'm seeing I think I'm seeing more walks than when we were going really well. And I think that you know, when we're on the attack and kind of imposing our will on those offenses were as good as anyone. And I think when you or I know, when you give free passes, it sort of builds momentum for the other team, And you know, takes one hit to score a run instead of a couple of hits to build an inning. So I think right now we're doing a little so inflicted damage.
Speaker 3: Things really shifted tonight in the seventh anny, whether it was how show how his work ended. And then of course, as you just talked about with the bullpen, what were you seeing just there in that moment, just as he got deep into his outing.
Speaker 4: You know, I thought he still had enough in there to keep going. You know, there was a walk in there, there was some soft contact that that kind of the squibber off that bat that infield hit gets a strikeout, and then with the with the low at bat or lou at bat got behind and then he went after him and then he.
Speaker 1: Hit a double.
Speaker 4: Uh So I still felt, you know, we we you know, unfortunately we got it. We got out of that inning, gave up another one, but got out of that inning, and you know, I still felt we had the game in hand.
Speaker 5: Calls in Steven, especially when it's low that he thought about challenging, but you just to put the abs. Now, how do you guys kind of evaluate the situations like that, especially with how that didn't played out.
Speaker 4: I know, And that's one of those things that you know from the side and the dugout, you put it in the hands of the players. And I think both catches, both of our catches have been very good, and I guess I hadn't looked back, but I did hear that a couple of those pitches to allow were strikes and it would have obviously flipped the count. And you never know, but you know, I thought Dalton's done a good job with all of our pitchers, and so it just probably in his opinion that it wasn't worth the challenge. But it's not an exact science. And I think we had one challenge left right there, so that might have been something that caused a little bit of pause. But yeah, you know, it's just it's a game of baseballs.
Speaker 5: Like you mentioned that a couple of games have gotten away late, just kind of.
Speaker 2: Comes back, all right. That was Dave Roberts on Sports and at LA. I just want to get to the avat that he was talking about. In the seventh inning, Otani looked like he was about to try to tap his cap to challenge all three of those pitches to Brandon Law because he was right. The first pitch was ball one, but if you look back at it, it was a strike, and then ball three to allow was a strike as well. But rushing was wrong on a recent ABS challenge, so he was a little trigger shy to go to UH to challenge that, and earlier in the game it was Otani that tapped his cap and was right. It wasn't rushing, so Otani had great instincts about what was right what was wrong to challenge as far as the abs goes, eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number also in this game that gets lost in the shuffle. Otani should have had two home runs tonight because Brian Reynolds made an incredible catch in the top of the third inning that would have made it two nothing Dodgers in the top of the third inning. Otani should have had a pair of two run home runs. He hit that one in the ninth inning, which to me, I don't think people really can wrap their heads around what he did. After throwing one hundred and two pitches, he has enough in the tank to hit a two run home run to try to will the Dodgers to at least.
Speaker 1: Time that game.
Speaker 2: In the ninth but he should have had another two run home run. But there is a short wall in left field. Brian Reynolds tied time did perfectly, had enough hangtime to be able to make that catch and it was at least two rows back of that wall. That short wall in left field also another play that could have changed things a little bit. Top of the second inning, Mookie Bets, who's hitting a buck eighty five. You gotta do more things until you come out of this. And in the top of the second inning, there was an error in center field on what Mooky thought was going to be an out. But Mooky wasn't running hard out of the box in that top of the second inning. He should have been standing at second base when that ball d by Magnum in that second inning, because the very next batter grounded into a double play. In that second inning, Max Muncy grounded into a double play and then Kyle Tucker struck out, So if Mookie Betts is standing at second base, there is no double play. And who knows that the Dodgers get an early lead for Otani. But you just want to see the game played the right way, and Mooki was feeling sorry for himself instead of running, and you never know.
Speaker 1: What could happen like it did.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Pirates come from behind and beat the Dodgers. Tonight nine to eight. Let's go out to Dave and Aliso. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dave?
Speaker 6: Yes, hello, thank you for taking my call. You know, I know every team goes through this. Every team blowsags. It's common in baseball. But the way the Dodgers blow saves, they blow saves in a very demoralizing way with home runs Like Tennis Scott, I'm gonna make the team's work for blowing to save, you gotta give.
Speaker 2: Well, there was no blown save tonight. It was just a well Kyle Hurt blew the save in the eighth inning. But it wasn't a walk off home run type of thing. But I look, when it's that late in the game, Dave, and you give up a lead, it's not gonna feel good no matter what team it is, no matter what picture it is, right.
Speaker 7: The next picture, like Draya, when you when your two picture gives up a devastating home run like that, your responsibility has come in. You need to shut the team down. That's what That's what loses penance in the end of September by one game or home field advantage in the World Series. You can't give away games like this. You have to make teams work to beat you with, you know base.
Speaker 2: It didn't make them work to be they did, they did, Dave, Dave, let's not overreact.
Speaker 1: Was it a great ending to the game? No? Was it two.
Speaker 2: Guys that are probably not the highest leverage relievers? Yes, Kyle Hurt and Jack Dryer are not going to be in high leverage spots. And how about this, If the Dodgers lose the NLS by one game, I will buy you tickets to a playoff game, Dave, because I don't believe that's going to be the case. They're seven and a half games ahead of the Podres, they are eight and a half games ahead of the Diamondbacks. It wasn't a good night, but I just feel like it's a little bit of an overreaction by you. And come on, Jack Dryer, you're telling me he doesn't want to come in and shut down the pirates. Of course he does, but there were other moments in this game that caused the Dodgers to lose.
Speaker 8: I see, okay, all right, Dave, thank you.
Speaker 1: For the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six, seven seventy af the Dodgers lose the nl WEST by one game.
Speaker 1: Uh call, me back.
Speaker 2: I'll buy you tickets to a playoff game. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. More of your phone calls. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We'll get you an update on Will Smith and we'll hear from Shoho Tani as well as the Pirates score five runs in the eighth inning and beat the Dodgers nine to eight on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com.
Speaker 9: Hand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: Which to Ward, these wings hitch a drive to right field, toward the wall.
Speaker 9: It is done.
Speaker 2: It's a grand slam, the first career grand slam for r Ward.
Speaker 1: A line drive over of.
Speaker 3: The Clementi Wall in Wright, a frozen rop for Ryan Ward.
Speaker 1: His third career home.
Speaker 8: Run is a grand slam.
Speaker 1: Gotta love it.
Speaker 2: A guy that has persevered in his professional baseball career finally getting an opportunity, twenty eight year old Ryan Ward, and he delivered in a big way with a two out grand slam in the sixth inning. Unfortunately, after the Dodgers went up six to one, they gave up eight runs in the seventh and eighth innings tonight and they fall to Pittsburgh nine to eight at PNC Park. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit a five to seventy LA sports dot Com, use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head back to Pittsburgh to hear from show Heo Tani. I'm curious about the abs challenges that were not called in the seventh inning and more importantly, how that right middle finger and blister affected him tonight.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts has shared with us that if you look at your last few outings, you've been dealing with the blister. We saw it was bothering you today. Just what is it like kind of managing that and clearly you're making your starts, but just how does that feel at the moment?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, no issues with the blisters.
Speaker 10: I don't think it's been affecting my performance. Just the last you know, a couple at bats where you know, I was just hoping. I wish I got some call my way, but just didn't turn out that way. And that's the part that I wish I could have been able to change a little.
Speaker 8: Bit and want challenge a couple of weeks.
Speaker 11: And just say too much.
Speaker 8: Skill that.
Speaker 1: Uh hosting give out in the day. I got a night you skill my station all day. I might have to move.
Speaker 10: I'll say a bunch of counts because I really got close to you know, doing one. Usually let the catchers make that determination. But looking back, I think situationally how important it was that at bad Looking back, I think I could have done a few challenges.
Speaker 5: Pitched into the seventh a ton this year. Just how did you feel about the execution of your stuff that ending? Was there any fatigue that played into kind of how that played out?
Speaker 11: And I tell you I can just get a must you about puff once sage.
Speaker 10: You're going into that inning. The pitch can was pretty relatively low, So I don't think so. But you know, after the two hitters two hours felt pretty good. It was just the mis execution and that three zero pitch.
Speaker 1: Kill.
Speaker 8: And did you think that one the third inning was out.
Speaker 1: No home out?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 10: To your height stand to ski, Yeah, I felt good off the bat. I thought it was going to be a homer. Looking back at the video, it was a homer, but the left field and made a fantastic catch and got it. Tip my cap on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Brian Reynolds. It was a home run.
Speaker 2: That's what most players will say when they're asked that type of question. It was a home run. He just brought it back and that was Brian Reynolds. In the top of the third inning. That would have been Otani helping his own cause with a two run home run early in that game. Now you heard O'tani answer the question about the blister on his right middle finger. That's what we wanted to know about because if you look at the pitches he threw tonight, he's not going to show any vulnerability or that that affected him. But it's hard to ignore the fact that O'tani threw just about fifty percent of his pitches for fastballs, and the pitch that he threw the second most was his sweeper. The two pitches that really, you know, start to affect your right middle finger when you're trying to throw, when you're trying to throw it and you have a blister. Is his curveball and his split fingered fastball. Mark Goobazaw told me that in twenty eighteen it was his splitter. It was his slider that created the blister on his right middle finger. And of course, as you know, a curveball is going to be right there as well, resting on that right middle finger as well. So he only threw the curveball eight times tonight. His splitter, he only threw it four times. You can't tell me that was because he just didn't feel like throwing those pitches. You would have to believe he was trying to navigate this start without having to throw those too much and aggravating his blister on his right middle finger, which needed to be tended to in the sixth inning anyway. So that's something to keep an eye on moving forward. Let's go back out to the phones, Andy and Lake elsinor you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 8: Andy, how you doing. I just wanted to talk about three real things, three things real quick. That's on my mind, and number one is Mookie Bets. Yeah, he's struggling. Obviously, he's been low the uker line, but you know he took on the role for shortstop, and you know that we already discussed this a lot of times, and you know his offense is gonna suffer and all of that, but he's as much if he was he was to retire, if he was to retire today, he'd be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, Andy, I don't know about that at all. He's a really good player, and if this was the NBA or NFL, he would be because of winning four World Series probably a fifth, if not this year, then another year. But I wouldn't say that's a that's a slam dunk right now.
Speaker 8: He was on the peer of the league. Plus he was on the peer of the World Series. I think he's that was in one year.
Speaker 2: What about the rest of I'm not going to bash Mookie Bets. All I'm gonna say is that he's not a slam dunk Hall of Famer right now. And when you say shortstop is taken away from his offense, sure, but it shouldn't be taken away so much where he's hitting a buck eighty five.
Speaker 8: Why, he just came back from the league.
Speaker 1: He's got one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty at bats now, Andy, He's got one hundred and fifty at bats now, Andy. And I'll say this, and I've said this, even though Mookie Bets is hitting one eighty five, his swings and his at bats look better than Kyle Tucker's.
Speaker 8: Well, the thing is is that he's playing shortstop ninety he's got one hundred and fifty at bats. So maybe if he was playing second base or right field, maybe those hundred and fifty bats would have been you know, a lot. Maybe he'd be batting to fifty at least by now. And the other thing that I want to touch on is Dave Roberts. I think Dave Roberts is kind of like obviously today was just like no one wanted that, right, But I think he's happy that the way things are going right now because it's already the season, and I just think that, yeah, he would say so, look at everybody else, Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Second International League to the Braves, He yeah, so, But I would say he's in a good spot, seven and a half game lead in the NL West, all right, what's your third thing? Because you've stated one thing that I don't agree with another one that is obvious, And what's your third thing?
Speaker 8: Help us?
Speaker 1: Help us?
Speaker 10: Thank you? Andy.
Speaker 8: The third thing is just a question, and that is when do you think Andrew Friedman's gonna just let out say that, you know what, I made a mistake with Tucker. He had a chance to bring in Ballinger or or Bashat and put them on right field, but he signed sixty mils.
Speaker 1: Where would where would have played?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 8: They could have put either or at right field? What well? I mean they would have both been better with the bat.
Speaker 1: Where would Max must be playing?
Speaker 8: No, no, I'm sorry, not thered I mean right field? My bad.
Speaker 1: Who would have been playing right field?
Speaker 8: Either Bashett or Cody Bellinger.
Speaker 2: Cody Bellinger argument is valid, Not Bo Baschett. The Cody Bellinger argument. I was all in for Cody Bellinger because he would have played first base when needed.
Speaker 8: But.
Speaker 2: You know, the Dodgers just felt like it wasn't a fit and Cody wanted to go back to the Yankees. But look, the Cody Bellinger argument is fair and valid, Andy, but not the Bo Baschette one. And part of the reason why and thank you for the phone call. Part of the reason why the Dodgers didn't sign Cody Bellingers because he wanted to guaranteed five year deal. I guess the beauty of the Kyle Tucker deal is that he can opt out in the first couple of years of the contract. He can opt out after all of them, really, but if he stays for the entire term of the contract, it's only four years. So I have to go back and look at what years he can opt out of. But there essentially he can opt out after the second year. So I think that's that was appealing to Tucker, and it was appealing to the Dodgers. Eight six six nine to eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I said this last night, and I'll say it again. I'll remind you of a Dodger from years past. Nineteen ninety one, Darryl Strawberry came in signing the biggest contract of the time and was coming back home a lot more pressure than Kyle Tucker had and a lot more attention than Kyle Tucker had. But Darryl Strawberry had a horrific first half of the season in nineteen ninety one, and the Dodgers at the All Star break had a nine game lead over the Atlanta Braves at the All Star break. With Darryl Strawberry having a horrible first half and only had five home runs, he finished with twenty eight. He hit twenty three home runs the second half of the season. And if I'm a Dodger fan, that's what I'm hoping for from Kyle Tucker, for him to get on a heater the second half of the season, because I just don't see it happening before the first half ends.
Speaker 1: I just don't see it.
Speaker 2: It's not something that looks like it's getting better or that he has a feel at the plate. The All Star break will be a good reset for him to just regroup, similar to Strawberry in the second half of nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: There's direct parallels, but that's the closest thing I could think of when you talk about the salary, the attention, the salary, broad and the first half that both these guys are having. And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Kyle Tucker is as good as Daryl Strawberry or we'll have as great of a career as Darryl Strawberry, even with the you know, back nine with the Dodgers didn't go so well, he did have he did get his personal life together, and George Steinbrenner gave him a second chance with the Yankees, and he won a couple of World Series and he was a part of that nineteen ninety six championship team and ninety eight championship team with the Yankees. So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm not trying to compare Strawberry's career to Tucker's career because I have the utmost respect for Darryl Strawberry, and I think that if he would have been able to stay focused and stay healthy, he would have been a Hall of Famer. I don't think Kyle Tucker's a Hall of Famer. But I'll just say this, I don't see I've seen this before, and I don't see it getting better before the first half of the season ends. I feel like Kyle Tucker will take off in the second half of the year. He's you look at last year, he was great in the first half, horrible in the second half. So you know, tale of two halves. I guess it's the best if you had to pick one half that you would pick the first half for him to struggle with the Dodgers having a similar large lead in the division right now at seven and a half games, and hope for Tucker to figure it out and get more comfortable in the second half of the season.
Speaker 1: All right. Tomorrow, the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Will try to close out this series with a win and win the series at P and C Park, something that hasn't happened in a few years. Justin Robleski is on the mount for the Dodgers tomorrow. The left hander is seven and two with an ERA of two to sixty two. He's going up against right hander Mitch Keller, who's five and three with an ERA of four to eighty one. Our coverage begins at two thirty with Tim Kats and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from P and C Park with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at three forty. Before we say goodnight as well, want to remind you to head down to Downy Hunday.
Speaker 1: My friends. At Downy Hunday, they are the car.
Speaker 2: Dealership hub for the FIFA World Cup watch parties. They've set up a big screen in their showroom. Go down there, hang out, maybe you know, dip your toe in a Downy Hunday. But they've got all the World Cup games and tomorrow they're doing a big festival to kick off the World Cup down at Downy Hunday.
Speaker 1: So go out there.
Speaker 2: See all my friends out there, especially the man himself, Sam at Downey Hunday.
Speaker 1: He runs it.
Speaker 2: He's got the vision, and he's got great people working for him and loyal, hardworking people down there at Downey Hunday. So go check them out tomorrow and over the weekend. Thanks to Colin ye back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald at PNC Park. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. Make it a preset stream the Dodger Games live and find all your Dodger content right there on the iHeartRadio App. Don't listen to other shows, they have no clue what they're talking about. Once again, the final score tonight the Dodgers fall to the Pirates nine to eight.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio is next. See them send it away the time