Speaker 1: I don't want to be an American.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go Monday morning. The fun is behind you now, the outdoor fun is behind you, the brief dabbling of summer. And it felt like Florida yesterday here in Cincinnati, record high princh temperatures. And then you head out this morning and back to wearing a jack. That's how we roll in the Queen City. Baby Scott's loan back with you on seven hundred WLW, jumping right in with this. On Friday, President Trump said he was considering winding down the US military operations in Iran, and then, in true Trump fashion, by Saturday night, he was threatening to strike their electrical grid and their infrastructure to get the straighter her moose back open. Meanwhile, Democrats partially shutting down government over DHS reform. And now we have unpaid TS agents using sick day, so that means shortest, it means long lines at the airports. That means ice agents are being used now to help support those on the job. And it is problematic for sure. We got lots going on. And let me bring in on this. Congressman Greg Lansman from here in Cincinnat, Eddie, how are you by the way. Greg has been waiting. He is at Dulles right now. He's been waiting in line since Thursday afternoon. How's it. How's the way going, how's the way going.
Speaker 3: I'm home. I'm home. I'm home. No, it's bad.
Speaker 4: They you know, they need to pay TSA immediately.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's the votes are there for it.
Speaker 4: It's lunny like sometimes the solution is so simple. And the majority leader Senator Soon republic and when said Trump yesterday and just said, look, we can pass a funding build of fund TSA, and Trump said no, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Last go around a well last go around it was okay, so voters playing Republicans for the shutdown TSA and okay, well get back to the most six months ago. And now it's the other way. The Democrats are like, well, they're the ones that are because they want uh they you know, they want these these other things in there with the the voting at the Save USA Act. And I think there's most people looking at like, okay, it's we We keep hearing this movie over and over. Democrats fault Republicans, fault Republicans, fault Democrats, fault Yeah. The fact of the matter is you got these people who are working expected to work and they're burning through their six days when they need them, and uh, it just it's it's so mindless. Why are we doing this.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a it's a leadership piece or issue. Right, So the majority of us in Congress, on both sides, we would pass a funding bill right now that would fund TSA, FEMA, you know, Secret Service, Coast Guard, everything but Ice. As the Ice negotiations continue and it gets stopped at the top, it gets stopped with the Speaker and Fune and fun Tribe yesterday to just go to Trump and say, look, we have the votes to fund TSA and and and you know, let's just go ahead and get it done. And for whatever reason Trump said no. My feeling is they should just go ahead and put it on the floor. Let us pass a funding bill to fund TSA. I've seen the Secret Service, and if he wants to Trump wants to be to A, he can, but I don't think he will.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it's sticky, it is. You know, we've got all sorts of problems in this country. And you see these long lines now Brandon and not everywhere. But at the same time, you know, two hour await just to get into the terminal in New Orleans is absolute sandy, especially this time of the year, and it's only going to get worse. I get the same America Act. I get the premise of it. I kind of question why we need it if the you know, the number of people who are actually falsifying and going to vote are very very very small in the odds of someone casting a vote in this country. Believe, it's like, it's not that big, it's not a big deal. But at the same time, it's like, Okay, I got to show an ID for everything else, why is this a.
Speaker 4: Bad but Sonny I called Halton County just to see, like, how many you know, non.
Speaker 3: Citizens you know noted? They said zero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we don't have said what they're going to do. They're going to prevent you know, tens of millions of Americans from voting because you'd have to go in. Now, if this law were to pass, it's really just to save Trump, you know, Bill, it doesn't It actually would probably be the biggest blowdour democracy of voting rights.
Speaker 3: You know, in my lifetime.
Speaker 4: But it would it would require you to go in with a bunch of paperwork to prove your citizen to register to vote, as opposed to just having you know, the Rose could right now just check every registrant against you know, the BMV data, right and if there was an issue, he could then send it to that person and say, hey, you're not in the BMV. You know, I need some paperwork. You could do that right now and make sure that zero zero percent of or one hundred percent of all registered voters are American citizens, as opposed to, you know, preventing folks from registering to vote because they've got to go get a social they got to go get a passport, or they got to go get a birth certificate or whatever that and on the voter ID. We have the most stringent a voter ID law arguably in the country. And our idea would you work.
Speaker 3: I mean, everyone would have to go get new IDs. It's absurd.
Speaker 2: Oh I did that with a with a real idea act. I mean, you know. The other cry is as much Republicans talk about these illegals voting, which isn't happening by any measurable maybe a handful in the last twenty years. The other side is Democrats love talking about voter suppression, and yeah, we live in an age man where it's easier to vote than ever before. I mean, you should have some form of identification just to live your life as an American, and in other countries it's certainly a lot more onerous the ask for you to prove your papers and stuff like that. Just knowing who you are and be able to sort your identity out, you know, it takes. We have thirty days of open voting, we have thirty days where you can do mal in batting. It's never been easier to vote. So I don't I really, I still don't. But I don't buy it. I don't buy the voter suppression thing. I just don't buy it. Every time something like this happens Democrats about voter suppression, I just I don't think it's a thing.
Speaker 4: Well, because you you probably weren't one of the hundreds.
Speaker 3: Of thousands of people who were purged.
Speaker 2: You know, and and have because I'm alive, not dead. That's why the dead.
Speaker 4: People I've met so many of these people who have been they've been voting their entire lives.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And the the the voter piece, the I D piece is fine. Like I grew up, I had to show identification was that big of a deal. Now now it's a Now it's an ID, and and and and it's fine, but there are a lot of folks who don't have the ID.
Speaker 3: They got to go get. They got to go get. They don't drive, they got to go. You got to go get.
Speaker 4: Then you know, a state I D and this would federalize elections and our IDs wouldn't work. So it's it's a disaster either way that he shouldn't be holding uh funding for.
Speaker 3: T s A.
Speaker 2: I hate the whole well, I mean there's there's also the other, the other political side of the alb but I I just hate the people that you expect these folks to be on the front lines. We're not paying them. It's a second why would anyone want to be a TSA agent now because there's a good chance every six months you're not going to get paid. Representative Greg Landsman on the show this morning, I will set that one aside. What about the Iran thing. You're one of the very few hawkish Democrats who thought, hey, you know what, we cut the head of the beast off. But are you surprised and what do you say relative to your support and now it looks like, you know, we're not going to have allies in this thing. The rest of the world saying we don't want anything to do with this. It's a hot mess straight Oh, Hormus's bloss gas prices here the triestate gregor up to four bucks a gallon right now, it is it's a mess right now. How do we get out of this?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the Krandain chief president is going to have to you know, navigate his way out of this.
Speaker 3: And I wish I.
Speaker 4: Could, you know, help with the allies, but it does require the commander in chief to pull together a coalition to get the sort of reviews piece resolved the operation itself. Had he just been clear from the beginning and and and said to the American people what was true, and that is, Look, the regime was building back up its missile shield around its enrichment facilities. They're going to try to enrich They're going to try to take the enriched uranium they have I get it to weapons grade. That could be catastrophic. Let's let's go ahead before it's too late and deal with this weapon shield. That was the entire operation, and now that it's over, he needs to be done he needs to stop saying on one you know, on one day, look we're winding down.
Speaker 3: This is going to be done. On the next day, I'm going to start blowing stuff up. He needs to be done. That will make a huge difference in resolve of resolving this.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting. I mean, one day it's like, hey, we're gonna pull up. Now it's like no, Now we're going to double down, and hey, what would be great if our allies would come help us here? Not well, screw you guys. We're going to go twice as it's like every day is it feels like a year with what's going on right now, I'm not helping himself. But at the same time, you know, as someone who grew up during and remembers the Iranian hostage crisis, screw those guys. I don't think anyone is sad that the Eye Tooll is dead, but now his sons in place, if he's still alive, who knows what's going on there in Iran right now, But they're they're holding up much and resisting more than we thought. I certainly don't want to see. I know, we deployed another Marine Expeditionary Unit GREG to the region. I don't want troops on the ground. I think that's pretty clear for almost all Americans, especially Democrats, but even Republicans are overwhelming. Oh, this is just we're not going to do this again.
Speaker 4: Now, no troops, no troops, no, you know, extended variation of this operation. The operation was destroy the missile shield, get rid of the launchers, the rockets, the missiles.
Speaker 3: And the navy.
Speaker 4: That will, you know, make it much easier for us to deal with the remaining and rest geranium, which we'll deal with later.
Speaker 3: But no ground troops, do not Mission treap here.
Speaker 4: Be done, and being done will resolve a bunch of these other issues, including.
Speaker 3: The straight of her views.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to win the limited time we have left, Greg Landsman, I wanted to get into this, which is something a little more controllable. We had at least a dozen dozens of people at UC on Saturday for a citizen forum on data center proposals spreading, and that would be in Hamilton and Wilmington and Trent in Maysville and maybe I'm Mount oreb and Kentucky and Indiana. They're all over the place, and in Adams County for that matter. And the key concern is energy costs are going up, water usage is going to go up. Environmental impact is an issue in a lot of cases, especially Adams County. Is a like of transparency there, and small communities are being outgunned by big tech. What was the tenor that meeting on Saturday that you took part in.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, people are frustrated.
Speaker 4: They want the data centers that they're going to come in to pay for everything that they use.
Speaker 3: It's you know, if they should.
Speaker 4: Pay for all the water, although less just the all their remediation, and and and and enough.
Speaker 3: With these nbas. I mean, the Ohio is a state.
Speaker 4: You know, we're very proud about our open meetings laws and in the sunshine laws.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And here you have these big tech companies coming in and signing m d as with elected officials in these towns and nobody knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly shady.
Speaker 4: And and then you know, electricity bills go up in addition to noise and all other all and a bunch of other issues. So you know, we have a bill, I mean, we're leading the charge on this.
Speaker 3: We have a bill called the.
Speaker 4: Do No Damage Data Centers which would require number. Trump said, he I I talked to all these big tech companies. They're gonna they're gonna go ahead and pay their their their their own way. But I did it with the handshake.
Speaker 3: Ours would be the bill that would codify it.
Speaker 4: It would say, look, they have to pay for everything when they come in and go to data. They got to pay for all their water, they got to pay for all their electricity, and no one's rates can go up. And if they don't do that, there will be severe penalties. There are severe penalties in the still and no more nbas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that is the issue in Adam's gown. I've been following that one out there. That's a good outlier because they're kind of like tip of the spear and they're putting a more toime as Cincinnati did. And I think that was smart on Cincinnati's part, not that I don't know if we're going to get a big data center here in Cincinnati, but kind of pump the brakes a second. I guess part of the problem is the urgency of putting this online, because let's face it, we're all if you're like, yah, screw big data in data centers. Guess what we're all part of the problem, the average American, Greg. I'm sure you know as twenty one devices at any one time hooked up to the Information super Highway, which essentially is the pipe in the Internet, and all that requires data integration, requires AI, which is growing by leaps and bounds, and so we're part of the problem. We're kind of like the not in my backyard people right now. It's like, we want to use the phone. We expect instant in from mentions, the touch of a button, at the swipe of a finger, and you at the same time, we don't want the data centers going and it's not going to work that way.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, it's coming and we all use it. People think a lot of it is driven by AI, big chunk of it is. But to your point, twenty one devices are plugged in. I mean you're talking about your iPhone and your computer and all those other you get a.
Speaker 3: Smart toaster or whatever. It is exactly right. So people are using people are using it.
Speaker 4: I mean the question to me is twofold one is who pays and who benefits? And you know big Tech and you know they got billions of dollars. There's some of the richest people in the world. They are the richest people in the world. They should pay. I don't want our chunds and our rate payers to pay. And then when it comes to who benefits, we need to get our act together to make sure that the people who are benefiting from this AI revolution aren't just the people at the top that it's it's everybody that our kids are growing.
Speaker 3: Up learning how to use this and they are the.
Speaker 4: Ones who are going to benefit just as much as anyone else. Otherwise it's going to create, if you know, more unevenness in our economy if we don't, if we don't resolve this, you know, digital divide issue immediately. But the most version thing is who pays for these data centers and our break Let's be very clear, let's protect our.
Speaker 3: Towns and our ratepayers. Big tech to pay.
Speaker 2: Okay, And it's it's a catch twenty two because we demand this stuff and yet we don't really want the big power suckers that are the data centers out there. It's just a man. I don't mind the state leaning into it saying, hey, we want to attract all of this stuff because it's good for the future, for the foreseeable future, but certainly the environmental, the water, and the electricity issues are big ones at that. Should we be fast tracking legislation and ease up a nuclear power I know that other I know companies like Google and other are going to build build them like nuclear reactors to power not only their AI facilities, but also sell it back to the grid. So it makes a lot easier. Is that a good idea?
Speaker 4: I don't think easing up on the right And I don't know if you said this, but you know we don't want to ease up on the oversight. But yeah, we got a fast track. We got to move these things forward. I think it is It is a It is a good source of energy, but we also need permitting reform. I mean, this country is going to consume an enormous amount of energy and electricity. We've been here before.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody was mentioning.
Speaker 4: When the air conditioner was invented all of a sudden, you know that we were dealing with something similar.
Speaker 3: So you know, we we we can't we can handle.
Speaker 4: This, but it does require us to produce more energy, and I want it to be clean and that's a you know, that's a clean source of uh of energy so long as it's safe. And you know that doesn't mean that we have to be you have to have some oversight.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why we're not continuing to build out these uh these facilities. I mean, it's it's it's been, you know, one of the most reliable sources of clean energy we've ever had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think back of the day, when are the protests against it? That was a mistake, you know, people living in the moment. But yeah, I agree. I'm not saying that we should just go, hey, build a nuclear actor. What could go wrong? There's got to be over sight, but I think the regulatory Look, it shouldn't take thirty years to get one online.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: No, no, don't have that. I mean we don't, but also I shouldn't. It doesn't take that much time anymore. But you know, we know how to do this, So you know, they're coming up.
Speaker 3: With these smaller uh you know.
Speaker 4: Plants and these modulars to whatever they're called, and and I think there's real benefit to those, but that still takes a while. So you know, the point is, you know, you either have a moratorm on going back to the data center. You either have a moratorium and say, well, you know, we're not going to build them here, even though you have to build them here because they're they're going to be connected to the grid, or you say we're building them here, but here are the rules, and they're simple. The rules are the data center in big tech, they pay for everything. They pay for the water, they pay for the electricity, and they pay for the remediation and no NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll make their money back for sure. I wonder you know. I also the one to the point where we make it so onerous that they don't do business in Ohio. So we got to, you know, and you want to bring these companies in. We need them, but we certainly have to set up some rules just to make sure that their abuse is the water. One I think is going to be interesting. That's gonna be interesting fight. We'll save that for later. A out of time. He is Congress and Greg Land's been jumping on the show this morning. Greg always appreciate the insight. Thanks again, Thanks take care. Hell yeah, disagree with a couple of things, agree with a couple others. We've got to move forward on data centers, but you do just some balance in there. The Iran issue is God only knows what's happening there. But relative to TSA workers, DHS funding and the role of ICE agents, this whole thing. One side screams about illegals voting, which isn't happening. The other side screams about voter suppression, which I don't think is happening all about it's listen, at some point, it's so hard you got to get an idea and like, listen, man, I'm a grown adult. It's a life is a pain in the ass. It's a I had to drive to Detroit to get global entry so we could go on vacation. So don't tell me the government it's like, oh, it's so hard for people to just really, isn't It's just it's a pain in the ass.
Speaker 3: That is what it is.
Speaker 2: That's what government does. We'll get a news updated and uh, maybe some reaction to this. But also remember when the Vice mayor Jan michelleman Kearney wanted to pay criminals not to criminal. I want to pay you not your criminal. We're going to pay you not to criminal. Does it work. Well, We've got some interesting news out of Chicago today. We'll share it with you next Scott's Loan Monday morning. Welcome to at seven hundred WLW Clody here, seven hundred WLW Welcome to it on this Monday morning. Good to see our buddy Tom Brenneman filling in today for Steve Hawkins. It's wonderful, absolutely wonderful. Getting ready for opening day twenty twenty six on Thursday at the Holy Girl Banks. Here we go, so here we go. You heard Brian Combs mention it shooting's up sixty percent in Cincinnati year over year and four more now, four more over the weekend, including one homicide. Let's go back to a plan here, and this was introduced in twenty twenty four and it didn't really get funded the two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars to advance peace. It has been rejuvenated. I don't know if they're going to vote on it anytime soon and what the future is. But the idea is presented by Vice Mayor Lemon Michelle Kearney, who wants to essentially pay criminals not to criminal And there's a couple of models that are out there that the experts say, well, you know here's the thing. We get this money we give them, We give them cash. Like for example, Advance Peace enrolls people who have committed gun crimes in an eighteen month Peacemaker fellowship, and the idea is active shooters are touched by street outreach mentorship relationships with those directly involved include of those who pull the trigger, and allegedly in other cities this is working so advanced pieces that it pays the triggermen to change. But Peacekeepers, this is a plan in Chicago, puts community members around the triggermen to stop it before it happens. So one rewards essentially past criminal behavior. The other deploys messengers proactively. Is what they say, and it's you know again. I think it's a nuance between the two programs really, because ultimately, what you're doing is, hey, listen, you're somebody you want to turn your life around. Sure, well here's some money, so you can get your money, but you don't have to do to things you used to to get that money, and then you can influence other people. I mean, in the perfect world to be utopia, it sounds grand, but we don't live in a perfect world. I'm more of a pragmatist I'm sure you might be quite the pragmatist as well. I don't know, but we do have some data out relative to the Chicago Plan. Peacekeepers, much like Advanced Peace Chicago, spent a billion dollars a billion dollars with a bet on community violence intervention the CBI programs they called it, over the last ten years, the last decade, and that program some of those programs. Part of this pays former and sometimes current gang bangers to mediate conflicts to prevent shooting. So the idea is, hey, you guys are in the gang, you're in the streets right now, right, and you're affiliated. So what we want you to do is, here's some money. It's known you are going to be a mediator here because you can essentially walk in the shoes of that people are doing this right and you can prevent them from shooting. So Peacekeepers pays these participants up to one hundred and fifty dollars one hundred and fifty bucks a day to wear neon vests, kind of like you know, the street team down on Fountain Square, except not cleaning up you know, physical trash, clean up human trash, I guess. But anyway, we're in the invest they worked the hotspots, and so the Free Press did an investigation and they found twenty eight or as peacekeepers since January twenty twenty three, and that would include murder, drug trafficking, and weapons chargers. One peacekeeper has this picture with Governor Pritzker of Illinois and then after that picture participated in a smash and grab robbery about six days later that killed a man whose baby was born the next day. They also have found, because of the massive billion dollars in funding for this thing, that some of the funds went towards vodka, taco trucks, Apple Star purchases, and a whole bunch of other waste. So again, every time you go, hey, listen, we're gonna here's this money, and we're gonna give some of this money to this this group, or we're going to turn it over to these individuals here, because they're going to take that money and disperse it. And when you hear politicians say that, andy go, okay, here's a million dollars. Let's say not a billion, but a million. So out of that million, here saying well, we got also we're going to give one hundred thousand to this group. Seventy five thousand, this group two hundred thousand's going to go to this group, you know. So the community gets on board, and what happens is they just look at that and go, you and I pay for it. But they know the money's gonna get wasted. And we've seen this with FEMA, We've seen this a bunch of other things. We just know that it's graft. In order to keep vocal members of the community engaged, we have to pay them off. And so anytime you hear that, well, we've got we've got to fund these other program It's just a kickback, is what it is. It's a kickback. And so in this case, Chicago tries if they spend a billion dollars over ten years and now we're still talking about violence intervention vention here in Cincinnati, are we about to write the same check with the same results. I think that's the question. That's a question I have. There's no serious accountability structure. One alderman in Chicago called it a scam and a revolving door. There's I forget the podcaster, but somebody got two hundred thousand dollars in sub grants. What does a podcast have to do with stopping shootings. Also this person as they use the money to become a clothing influencer. Great, awesome, that's what we need. Awesome. And so as we always demand line item accountability, you feel that anytime you do these programs, you just kind of wink wink, nudge, nudge, and you go with the flow. Maybe like back in the day, you know, he got a grease, so well, we got to pay the mob off a little bit for protection. Same kind of thing. It's a different kind of mob. It's a different kind of mob. The disturbing part is you had almost thirty people arrested in the last three years on murder, battery, gun chargers, drugs, had said, and one person who was part of this program getting money was arrested twice in ten days. One of the other studies he did too, was they got a bunch of folks together candidly and they said, okay, who's in this who's here just for the money? In about forty percent of the crowd raise their hand to go show you, hey, listen, you're gonna give me money with little accountability. I'm gonna do that because you are at the heart, you're you're engaging criminal behavior. So you're willing to have no moral obligate whatsoever, no obligation to society. It's about you. And I'm sorry when you take someone like that, with those kind of ethos and put them in a situation where, Okay, we're going to pay you to be nice, it's not going to work out largely. And I get it. You know, you need street credibility to reach people. The cops can't, the people who intervene can't. But you're you know, and you're paying people for being gang members. That's actually what you're doing. And so I don't know you start with kids, but again, the lure of the street is so pervasive that I don't think you can get through this.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: We have our own history of community police tension and downtown safety concerns, and we know all about that Riverfront live shooting. It's just that the problem I think that doesn't pass the sniff tests as a pragmatist is the unaccountable cash payments to high risk individuals. And to me, it feels just like a political gesture. Well, the idea is, well, we have to do something. We've tried everything. We need tougher gun laws, Okay, we've had tougher gun laws for years. It's really not moving to the el nation. With all the weapons that we have, ninety nine plus percent in the hands of legitimate people who don't do these things with them, it doesn't make a lot of sense. And you're not going to be able to change the Constitution. The Second Amendment's not going anywhere anytime soon. So I don't know what overstriight site structure Cincinnati would put in place that Chicago didn't, because I think, you know, if there's a pot of money there that the government wants is to hand out, there's gonna be people lined up, and not only that, a number of the people who are lined up have absolutely no problems taking it with producing zero result. You know, paying game members not to shoot each other sounds compassionate until they spend the money on vodka and you know, go smash and grab a I don't know, the protest store at the mall. You know, if you look at the receipts of Chicago, that's really not that's really not good. Hey look at Chicago, and you know, at anytime you do this at cherry Pick, So you're gonna look at the cities wh are Yeah, yeah, it's worked here, that's worked there. Well, okay, that's good, but tell me where it didn't work, Because you're trying to tell me something. I don't know the successes. I want to know the failures and did you learn from the failures? Clearly? Not clearly? Not so anyway, that's what's happening. I think it's kind of interesting and at some point it'll be reintroduced. We did this in twenty twenty three. They wanted two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. Council voted for it, eventually got shot down, and it's back on the table again this year, or at least it was last year and end of this year, I would sume, because you know, when you think there's utopia out there and we can live in a perfect world where there's no wars, there's no fighting, everyone loves each other, I got news fair. The world doesn't love on a run, doesn't run on love. God bless you for going to the world pi idoe ey'd stary eyed thinking you can change it. There are people out there who are not going to change. There are people out there simply don't care about you, but they will take your money with a zero accountability that they will do. And it happens all the time, all the time. News on the way in about nine minutes here on the Big One, seven hundred WW Opening Day coming up Thursday live, the Holy Girl Banks will see you down for that. Can't wait hopefully the weather and it looks like we got a little window on Thursday. It's still too early, I mean these you know the opening Day fourcast. Look it's Monday, man, Thursday's a long way away, a long way away. Let me know on how we looking on Wednesday. But I'm being optimistic as I usually am, saying there's that window, you know, we see that where like rains overnight and then clears up and then the game goes off and then later in the night there's more rain coming in. But right now it's looking, it's looking if it looks like it's a go for Reds Baseball on Thursday. Let's just bottom line it for you. Slooney at five, one, three, seven, four, nine seven the Big One to talk back on the iHeartRadio app. The Reds are not getting out a good year on scathed. However, later in the show, look at other than thirty five, we'll do our weekly update with Jeff gar from Lockdown Reds. It's the car show, and we're going to talk largely about the Reds pitching situation ahead of opening day because we got problems. We were fat and happy just about a week ago, and then all of a sudden, it's blister city, all right. We keep losing guys. You know, Brady Singer was flagged for blister back on March eighteenth, but things look good from that point forward. Of course, you've got Hunter Green out till at least July because of the bone chips. You have Caleb Ferguson who's coming out of the bullpen. He starts a season on the IL. He's got an MRI scheduled for later this week actually, I think what maybe Wednesday, And so we're kind of a little decimated right now. And on top of it, yesterday, Nicolodolo exits his final spring spring training start with a blister on his left index finger, and this has been a big issue for him for his career. He missed the what over three weeks last August with the same problem. And I know that it's been extremely hot in Arizona. If you haven't been following it closely, they have moved. They had moved a number of games outside of the hot hours because it was one hundred and five degrees out there was crazy, and I guess if you're going to develop a blister, it's going to be when it's that hot out. But you got Dolo, you got Singer, you got green out. Now we had all this pitching, and all of a sudden, now it's looking a little bit thinner. It doesn't mean that these guys can't step up on Opening Day, and especially with the bats you have McLean and Ellie and Freedom. If these guys can keep hitting the ball, it's going to solve a lot of problems for sure. So anyway, Jeff car eleven thirty five will get into that, and of course more on opening day itself. Here on the Home of the Red, seven hundred w WT Cincinnati. You want to be an American idiot, Planty here seven hundred wws. You parked the legally, you pay and guess what you still got, Rob. We have a parking scam going on in America right now. On that is attorney Carry Lutz, who's investigator All Luso wrote a book about it.
Speaker 3: Carry, how are you doing great?
Speaker 6: And appreciate you helping to get the word out on this. It is a multi billion dollar scam that they soak us for five fifty dollars at a time. You don't even realize that you're being taken.
Speaker 3: Many of the signs throughout the country, signs that say scan here to pay aren't legal. They aren't legal. They can't be writing tickets based on these signs. Signs in America, street signs are strictly governed by the NUTCD, the law that you have been living by your whole life. You never even heard about it.
Speaker 6: It's the manual on uniform and emphasize uniform traffic control devices. Just substitute signs for traffic control devices. A sign is a traffic control device if and only if it conforms to federal standards. Every state has adopted this law and they can't write a ticket, yet they do every single day of the week if the sign doesn't conform.
Speaker 3: And you will all know the signs you.
Speaker 2: Just assume because they're the QR codes on them. Now, so carry out its first. As far as Cincinnati goes, we know cities across the country they've they've kind of privatized parking enforcement to tech companies basically, and you mentioned the signage, clear signage, lawful notice. There's app based contracts, there's but they also harvest your data. There's the penalty. Systems will confuse rather than form. So it's kind of like this constitutional grazone. Now, I will say that Cincinnati has not yet fully outsourced our parking enforcement the way places like well Chicago or Pittsburgh have. So we hate the Cubs and we hite the Bucks. So there you go. Enforcement is run by the by the Parking Division of Cincinnati. Now, they they push the pay by Phone app, but that's a private third party platform that's operating a bunch of cities. And they also have since the since the easy park app for Ebeart payment, which I use. But drivers here still interact with private apps to pay meters. It's not as bad as other cities, but it feels like a slippery slop like it might be heading that way.
Speaker 6: It's getting there. When a city adopts an app, they find that their revenues from parking, both fees and violations go up forty to one hundred and sixty percent just from the apps. And one other thing about the app. You know, and I know there are millions of miners driving the nation's highways. They get their licenses, some as early as fifteen. I think in a least of fourteen and up to seventeen.
Speaker 3: You're a minor. You can't enter into contracts. That's why a.
Speaker 6: Bank will not loan a child money. And the when you actually download the app and click I accept, you are saying.
Speaker 3: I wave my right to trial by jury, I wave my right.
Speaker 6: To enter into a class action. I consent to have my data shared with God knows how many different partners that these apps are. I mean it's a question of who don't they share your data with park Mobile, you can sent to have your data stored in foreign countries. And for miners, they're getting the geolocation, the exact location of a minor when they pay for the parking.
Speaker 3: And this is just unconscionable. It's unacceptable.
Speaker 6: They endanger miners potentially, but they shouldn't be entering into contract and many states now are passing laws requiring parental consent before the minor is allowed to even utilize an app or a game on the platform. I've written takedown notices to Google App Store and Apple App Store saying this thing is rated for four years and up, which means anybody can use it, and yet you're allowing miners to consent to sharing data.
Speaker 3: It's illegal, out and out.
Speaker 6: I've also sent complaints to the FTC, the Florida Attorney General, the Texas Attorney General, a number of others, the SEC because they're issuing bonds backed by parking.
Speaker 3: Revenues that are illegally illegal revenue streets.
Speaker 2: So when you said the signs themselves are are legal, like the QR code on the signs, first of all, are those ones that are on public streets? What about parking lots or city owned parking lots, and you mentioned they can't write a citation for that.
Speaker 3: Why isn't okay?
Speaker 6: So when you have a city owned lot or a private parking facility, different rules apply. But even the city owned lot really needs to comply to some extent with the federal guidelines. So but on street parking, that's what we're talking about here. But if a parking lot connects to a street and part of it is a ivate road, effectively, then the standards apply. The point is they should be using those standards for any government owned parking facilities.
Speaker 3: Anywhere.
Speaker 6: I mean, for instance, the sign is supposed to be seven feet high. I wish I had a dollar for every sign that was six and a half or five feet high. It's supposed to face oncoming traffic. How many signs have you seen that are mounted parallel to the street. Unacceptable because the whole point of it is uniformity, so that if you're in Alaska or you're in Key West, you can get on the highway, you can see a sign. You don't have to think about it, you know exactly what it means. Also to stop somebody from say Portlandia or Seattle, they decide that they don't like the system, and they want stop signs to be green and instead of red, and they want people to stop on green lights and go on red lights.
Speaker 2: Does that technicalivy negate? The law?
Speaker 6: The enforcement law, absolutely, because if the sign's defective, that is your due process, your notice of the law.
Speaker 3: You can't be expected to know a law if.
Speaker 6: You haven't gotten notice to obeyl a law, and so anything that comes from that. If the sign is illegal, the tickets they're legal, all right.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati uses we have the Cincinnati Easy Park app. But also there's pay by phone which is a third party app and it's in well over a thousand cities. Well, who owns the data collected When a Cincinnati driver or a suburban driver, out of time driver goes in parks in Cincinnati use that app, what can they do with it?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 6: Now, really effectively, this is a big tech solution for a simple problem. So pretty much the app owns the data. This city might be able to obtain the data or certain portions of it, but the app owns the data.
Speaker 3: They own your data.
Speaker 6: And look in the remember Ababacare, they said, if you don't get health insurance.
Speaker 3: Then we're going to find you.
Speaker 6: And the Supreme Court said that's okay, because you do have a choice. But for instance, in the town upon Beach, the President's home away from DC, the winter White House in that town, they have done away with all other forms of payment.
Speaker 3: So, in other words, if.
Speaker 6: You want to park in Palm Beach, you have to use the app, and that therefore they're forcing you into a private contract.
Speaker 3: And that's what all of them are doing.
Speaker 6: They all want you to use the app because they don't want to collect meters, they don't want pay stations, they want you to use the app, and they force you into a private contract that's called coerced contracting compulsory contracting, and then it's with a third party, so you have to pay to pay to park sure because they charge you a convenience fee. I don't know who it's convenient for, whether it's.
Speaker 3: For them or for you.
Speaker 6: But look, it's all on life site, parkscam dot com. The book is there, and I think that you know, it's been allowed to fester for too long. Originally parking leaders served a valid purpose, and that was they didn't want people parking in front of merchants all that long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they went to squat and there basically treated like a parking lot because they want to They want to turn traffic over so people can spend money. Start Sure, and it's now it's turning to well, I think I think Chicago is a great example. They've been knew this for a long long time and that's considered by many people the disaster. But uh, that is like how it gets sold to councils. And you know, we're always looking for money right the city since naw, we need money. We sold our railroad so we could fix the roads here that've been ill repaired for twenty plus years. This feels like something they go, wow, okay, well can we make some money off this thing? Much money, much like Ohio did before they passed along these law which which outlawed these speed cameras, and so you know you'd go through, Yeah, you get this ticket in the mail. I didn't even always drive in the car, and you know, paying these exorbitant fees and you couldn't fight it because there's some out of state po box and that got struck down in Ohio smartly enough. This sounds like it's like the next incarnation of that.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping it will be.
Speaker 6: I've sued the six municipalities. I have sued three parking apps in the US District Court in in South Florida, and they're going.
Speaker 3: To have to account for it.
Speaker 6: I've also put in some complaints to the Florida Department of Transportation. They've been very upset about street art that it's not a traffic control device, it's illegal, and it's an opinion said all illegal traffic control devices need to be immediately removed because they're a danger to the road. And yet these parking signs are abundant and the towns, the cities view them as free money, but in the end they.
Speaker 3: Really injure merchants.
Speaker 6: Downtowns were ruined by parking, and that's why people started going to malls. And the more they this is just an extractive system. They provide you no value, all right, no value whatsoever for parking. We own the curves, right, the public owns the streets, so they're charging you.
Speaker 3: You know, I get the.
Speaker 6: Fact you need turnover. You don't want somebody hogging all the all the retail, right, yeah, yeah, exactly. And private parking that's a private matter between you and.
Speaker 3: The owner of the garage.
Speaker 6: But when they use an app, and you can't even park in the facility unless you use the app, all right, so you have a choice. So I won't park there. But for children getting their data shared and basically the app is a data harvesting tool. Would you believe that the app actually creates or has the ability to create a behavioral profile of the user. They know when you go to work, they know whenever you park, and then that picks up patterns and then they market to you these app companies. I get monthly emails from park Mobile saying join the Private Park, Mobile club and YouTube.
Speaker 3: Can you know?
Speaker 6: It does the thing that every app should do, which is, if you're running late, you should have the ability to automatically extend time.
Speaker 3: So their private club app does that.
Speaker 6: They don't charge convenience fees, but they're regular app that the general public downloads doesn't automatically spend time. So if they could do it for the people paying, why can't they do it for the people who are who are just casually.
Speaker 2: Carry lots at parkscam dot com and not bad yet Here in Cincinnati, we're talking about the pay by phone app since the easy park is meter payment here in the city has that and everything's enforced by the Parking Division, but the pay by phone app is being used in some lots in other areas, and it's kind of like Mission Creep. And the idea here is you are forced to enter a third party contract outside the scope of Cincinnati, much like we did with speed cameras, where even if you follow the signs and think you parked legally, you can still get a ticket. How does that actually happen though it sign says I can park here at park, I pay and I still get a ticket. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Well, you think the sign says that, and a lot of tickets are are actually thrown out when people take time, when you take the time to actually challenge them, and the parking enforcement officer what we used to affectionately called meter maids.
Speaker 3: They don't know the law generally any.
Speaker 6: Better than you do. All they do is scan your plate. The thing says violation, create ticket, and that's what they do. It's more and more an automated process. They even have cameras that clock you when you come in and then clock you when you leave, and if you stay two minutes over you get a violation. So all of it is just it's just gotten to the point where it's just totally extracted. It just provides no value and it needs to stop.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that there's like a constancial gray zone that no regular or wants to claim jurisdiction at the federal state are here in cincinn at the local level. So how does that? What's the gray zone? And who should be mine in the store? Why aren't they?
Speaker 6: Well, it's every so the NUTCD that's the bible of the road. It's twelve hundred thick pages of every sign, speed limits, of traffic lights. You name it, markings on curbs, et cetera. And in it every state has had to adopt it. They passed laws generally, and so basically in Florida, the Florida Department of Transportation is responsible to see that this thing is carried out. And they have the ability as well as the FEDS to say, you're not complying with the manual, you're losing highway funds. And that's what Florida is doing with the street art, getting the cities to remove the street art, saying this is a traffic control device and it doesn't comply and you're losing your money. And it's millions of dollars a city, like for Ludderdale. So every every state has the ability to actually implement this and force these cities to comply with the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're making money off it. That's the whole driver this thing, which asked the begs of question. More and more cities each day must be privatizing the parking apps and things like that because they're making money.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Oh, of course, there was an area in a city here called Riviera Beach, Singer Island, very plush, and they implemented a parking system in a lot that forever had been free and the prices are outrageous. This is what started me off on the whole thing. And they figured they could bring in a couple million dollars a year. Well, except they privatized the entire system where city employees don't even write the tickets. It's the private employees write the ticket and they and then the judge, jury and executioner. They actually they actually there's an admunication portal and you basically if you want to challenge the ticket, you go to this site and then you have to struggle to find the link that says challenge this ticket, and then they decide whether or not you have a valid plane, and then they want to charge you for an arbitrator if you don't agree with their decisions.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it sounds almost exactly like the speed camera thing we had here. It's a profit center. It's not about public right away and enforcement. He's carry lots for more on this. It's parkscam dot com, America's great parking scam. Parkscam dot com carry lots. Thanks for the time, appreciate it, Hey anytime.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the interesting part, but again, you know sinc. Now, we're not yet fully outsourcing this. We do have the since the easy park app, which I think as far as I can tell some about the city, But they do push the pay by phone app, which is a private third party platform like he's talking about here. So it's a mission creep for Warners Forum especially. I mean, you're going to a Reds game in Pittsburgh or Chicago or other cities, they have this there. So just FYI Scott's Loan Show seven hundred ww. Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hattershire. Yeah, so autism diagnosis an all time high. Understanding wise, we're still catching up. So what do you do when a child has a melt down in a grocery store? How do you talk to a nonverbal person? What are we getting wrong about autism? I bring this up because we have had an incredible number of deaths involving autistic children in this case, we had just another one last weekend. As a matter of fact, they're like nine where they walk into a pond. We had one in Deerfield Township, a four year old drowning, and so there's something about water that attracts autistic children. Not much we can do about that other then maybe just keeping an eye out if you have a retention pond your house or your neighborhood or whatever it is. But you've got to really be careful for some of the young men in Westchester last summer who passed away. But it brings autism back in the light. We certainly spend a lot of time talking about people are where it exists. It's a real thing, but you just wonder how many folks actually understand what it is. And on that as our licensed mental health therapist of course, Julie Hattershare on the show on seven hundred WW for mental health money.
Speaker 5: Good morning, good morning, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm fine. These are horrible stories to read about when you have young people who are dying. I mean kids who are dying are autistic and they wander off and go off the reservation. I think they call it eloping. Is the a formal term when they do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is horrifying.
Speaker 3: It truly is.
Speaker 5: And there is a higher prevalence of it in the autistic child community than in the non autistic child community. All children are attracted to water, but autistic children tend to drown more frequently than non autistic children do. It is called a open yeah, and they run away, they leave, They wander off for various reasons. And one of the things that's important if you're a caregiver of someone who's autistic to understand is what they may be trying to do by leaving. They're not just wandering for no reason. There's a need they're trying.
Speaker 1: To meet or want.
Speaker 5: They're trying to fill, something they're trying to escape from, So understanding the why can be really important. But yeah, that was a terrible case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the girl, she was nine years older, name was Jenny dimm in Florence, and this happened just last week. And he had about three thousand people looking for at any one time when she lost and then they found her in a pond. And man, we've got ponds all over so we've got, you know, the ninth one passing away this time last year at eight dead, six from drowning. It's just something about that attracts them to the water. The child, the four year old in Deerfield Township. He was not autistic, as I just saw so that. But again, you know, kids near water very very dangerous, specially autistic kids, or something about the water that attracts them, And I think it just goes to show you how little we understand still despite awareness. I've seen autism stickers, I volunteer for autism events, and I understand the spectrum. But I think outside, unless there's someone you know who's directly impacted or suffers from autism, we kind of go, yeah, autism, but we don't know what it all means. Because now one in thirty six kids are diagnosed with this, and this seems to me to be it's getting worse, it's not better, despite all the attention paid to it.
Speaker 5: I think you could say it's getting worse. And I think there's some disagreement in the autistic community about whether it's getting worse or whether the diagnosis is becoming much more specific. So, you know, things that we used to not understand as being part of the autistic spectrum maybe are now part of the autistic spectrum. So children and adults, because one in forty five adults is diagnosed with autism, Children and adults who might not have previously been diagnosed because we didn't understand the whole range of symptoms that go into this spectrum. Now is that continues to expand. More and more people are finding themselves on the spectrum as a result of that. So it may be that it's becoming more prevalent. It may also be that our diagnostic criteria and our diagnostic skills are getting more sophisticated and we're able to catch more people who find themselves on the spectrum.
Speaker 2: And that's usually the case. It gets more granular and therefore identifying it more. And so what you though, they're here from people who are older. Usually that not always, but usually older folks are like, well, back in my day, we never had this. It's all made up because your kid is acting the full and now we claim it's a it's a disease and disorder and not an issue of punishment and accountability, which could be further from the truth. But that I think that still exists.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, it is definitely a neurodivergence. Is it is a brain difference, which is what neurodivergence means, like ADHD is, like dyslexia is like this calculia is I call dyslexia for numbers and that's.
Speaker 3: What I have.
Speaker 5: I had this calculia. But it's these differences in the way our brains work, and the more sophisticated or diagnostic systems have become functional in oriyes, for example, the more we're able to see the way people's brains operate differently under different circumstances, and so we're finding more understanding and more nuanced understanding of what we used to just think of as the kids in the slow class, for example, or the kids who weren't school appropriate so they were homeschooled or kept at home. And in the early days, children with autism were often institutionalized because their behaviors were so problematic it was difficult for families and parents to take care of them, and so it Yes, older people take a look at it and say, we didn't have that in my day, and answers, well, we did, absolutely you did. It's just that they didn't mainstream into society in the same way that we have been made streaming children with learning disabilities and developmental disabilities for the last two or three decades.
Speaker 2: At least, we just got the hell bait of us. Back then, they hitch a harder right to smack.
Speaker 3: That it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the way it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Children with ADHD misunderstood, punished, called lazy, called stupid. Now we understand their brains operate differently, and we need to approach them differently. Autism is similar. Children with autism where the weird kid, the quirky kid, the kid who went to the special school. Now often we understand more about it, and we can help them learn in the way that best suits them and help them maximize their potential, whatever that might be, whether that's really high or somewhat lower in need of support. Still, we can help children and adults live better lives and maximize their potentially.
Speaker 2: I still do have the numbers dyslexia, for example.
Speaker 5: And yeah, just calculia that I got the hell be it.
Speaker 2: Out of me for years. I'm really good at reading and but my verbal all those sins are off the charts. And then the math was just terrible and I couldn't do it. So I did not know that it was a bonafide condition until today. Am I Todd the money compensation a better parking spot? Can I get something for this disability?
Speaker 5: You're you're entitled to And I'm sorry from every math teacher.
Speaker 2: You ever had, Yeah, yeah, used to shame you.
Speaker 5: I think if that was true, because I got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did the math teaching I had.
Speaker 5: For being like you, really bright in some areas and could not do my multiplication people when everybody else should.
Speaker 2: Rattle them to have a beer multiplication and I could not memorize any of it.
Speaker 5: I could not do them, could not do them.
Speaker 2: My aunt bought me this, this device. It was like a big I don't know, slider board, you know, and it's like kind of like the flash cards, and it was a hard and you sit and do it by yourself and go, okay, eight times eight. For some reason this day like numbers like eight times six, nine times six. I still have to count of my fingers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't remember exactly.
Speaker 5: I have workarounds too. And you remember in math class when they said you have to know this. You have to know this because you're never going to walk around with a calculator in your pocket. And now don't we just walk around with calculators in our pockets.
Speaker 2: I always believe in technology. I said to listen, you know what, if enough of us, if none of us get fat enough, they'll come up with a pill which just takes the weight off and look where we are, Look where we are, look where we are.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, but back to autism, Julie, that's the thing is we have this. You know, the spectrums really wide. We're not quite true like my son experienced young ADHD and all that, and you kind of grow out of it. I mean, but you know, if you're you can do that. But later in life our horses severe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, not necessarily. As you grow. Oftentimes if you're if you're pretty well functioning, you can develop workarounds. Yes, So for example, you and I didn't outgrow are just calculia. We just developed workarounds, including but not limited to a calculator. But I can do math in my head pretty well because I've worked out a system that makes sense for me, which is not the way I was taught. People who are dyslexic, they don't outgrow dyslexia. They learn a system for looking at words and looking at sentences and making sense of them. So as people grow into their autistic diagnosis, as they grow and change, their strengths may change, their challenges may change. They may put themselves or find themselves in environments that work with their strengths and compensate for their challenges, or the opposite may be true. They may find themselves in environments where it really doesn't work with their strengths and it really exacerbates their challenges and so they appear less functional. Then they might be in a different kind of environment. So it isn't necessarily the grow it. It's that you can develop skill sets to work around and you can often organize your environment so that it benefits you more than is detrimental to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're talking about autism with Julie Harrisher this morning. It's mental health money in the Scots Launch show. Tragically, a nine year old girl died just last week. Another autistic kid finding water and water is that it's a calling for them and a lot of us still don't understand what autism means. I think the most common example is you're at the store, I don't know, you're at your target and child screaming and have an absolute meltdown and bystanders immediately assume bad parenting. So what is happening neurologically at that moment? Also, as a innocent binder share stranger, what should we do or not do when you witness something.
Speaker 5: Like that, well, I think the first thing not to do is shame the parents or the caregivers or look askance at the child, because clearly the child is overwhelmed. Whenever any child has a meltdown, whether they're autistic or not, their environment has outstripped their coping skills. That's what that means is they are sensorially overloaded in their environment and what it's asking of them has outstripped their coping skills. Autistic children, that happens more frequently and more easily than neurotypical children of the same age. And so you may see an autistic child who is old or than you would expect a temper tantrum from. If you see a two year old throwing a tantrum, you're kind of like, well, there too. If you see a twelve year old throwing a tantrum, your first thought is why can't they behave like a twelve year old. But for many autistic children, an environment like target will weigh overstimulate them, and what they have to do to manage that overstimulation outstrips their coping skills at that moment in time, and they don't sometimes have the ability to describe what's going on in words which a neurotypical twelve year old would and so they tell you in whatever way they need to tell you that they have had enough, and that is essentially what's going on. One of the hallmark characteristics of oxism is they have a very difficult time with speech and nonverbal communication. Not that they are not that many of them can't speak all those some can't, but understanding what the words mean, the nonverbal cues that you need to pick up on and that they need to pick up on in communication communication is a challenge. And the more overwhelmed and over stimulated they get, the more that becomes challenging. So the higher there's stimulation level goes, the lower their ability to describe what's going on goes, and the lower their ability to seek relief in more what we might consider age appropriate ways.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Yeah, And it seems to me like the way it's described, and I get it is you know someone with ADHD, for example, and we all to some degree suffer. But if you're sitting in roomy avig like I do, it's like I'm talking to you, but I can hear somebody out in the hallway. I just walk. Somebody watch past I've got I'm watching. I've got Fox News here, They're CNN over there, I've got Sports Center over here. The one light is flickering right now, but everything is pushed up to eleven, like they're all competing for the same thing. So the thoughts in your head it's but if you're a child, you have no way to deal with that, and so you get the sensory overload. It's site, sounds, smells, all perceptions and if everything is pushed up as far as it will go, it's all cumminated. You there's no way to sort them. More people who can balance things out and go okay, to focus on this, If the more on the spectrum you are, the harder, that is exactly.
Speaker 5: And also if you're more on the spectrum, the more sensitive you are to that. Often people with autism are often more highly sensitive to sound and temperature and light and plantation touch than those who are not on the spectrum. So take a normal environment that might overstimulate a normal neurotypical person someone with autism who is highly sensitive to that anyway, it's off the charts stimulating. Then you factor in the language challenges that often come along with that diagnosis, and they can't talk about it, they can't tell you what's going on, and they may not even have the ability to make sense of it in their own head. And so oftentimes what they do is they want to get away. They have a meltdown, or they want to get away, which is where the elopement comes in. They frequently are trying to get away situations that are overstimulating to them, that are frightening, too much, overwhelming, over stimulating, unfamiliar. Sometimes they're trying to get away anywhere. Sometimes they're trying to get back to someplace that.
Speaker 3: Is familiar to them.
Speaker 5: I'm going to leave here and I'm going to go someplace that is familiar to me. But they're not always necessarily aware where that is. Water is a calming, soothing presence. It's also pretty. I mean, sun light on water is one of the prettiest yeah nights out there, so that can be a draw. So it really is about overwhelmed coping mechanisms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's part of our DNA. It's part mean. Water is calming, it's relaxing. You take a bath, you know, generally kids like to swim, and that explains maybe explains why we have had nine deaths, including one last week. Talking to Julie Hatter Share our license mouth health expert about autism and and that and that tragedy kids are loping and finding water and dying. It doesn't mean the kids are dumb either, And I think that comes out as well as like, well, you don't speak, you must be You know, we used to call people who weren't able to speak dumb. I mean that was literally what we called them back in the long time ago anyway, But now we're learning about more about this. So you see this in public, you don't want to react, You don't want to intervene. Is there something? I mean, when a kid's having a tantrum, you just kind of what do you do? Do you just let them finish it out? Do you hug them? How do you deal with that?
Speaker 5: Well, if you're the caregiver, I'm sure you have your own skills and coping mechanisms for your own child or the child you're taking care of. So I would hesitate to prescribe anything for someone who's taking care of a child with autism, because they probably know what to do. But for those of us who are the bystanders. The thing to do is just give them some peace, walk on by, let the caregiver take care of it, don't intervene. And for the please don't shame or scowl at or mutter about the kid who can't control and the parent who can't control the kid. They are out of control literally, so they need to get regulated. They're so regulated to that point in time, in our judgment, does not help the situation, either for the child or the people with the child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine the caregiver having to do that on a daily basis, right, It's like, yeah, I get it, and you know, he's the lot they're being allowed. It's it's not about your needs right now. And it's unfortunate because I mean, if you're waiting to get on a plane, let's say, and waiting in a twenty hour line of TSA, that's where the child's gonna have a meltdown. And so you know, we kind of all got to do it.
Speaker 5: That's that's where a competent adult is going to have a meltdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might have a melt out right right right exactly. She is at Hey, Julie at bconnected dot Care Practice out of Clifton. If you any questions, concerns, or if you have an idea for a future segment, let us know. Julie, we'll talk next Monday. Have a great one. Thanks you too, appreciate it. We'll do news on the way in just minutes here and if you're using a public parking app you could be getting ripped off. It's not quite here in Cincinnati, but it's coming just ahead. Seven hundred WW. Do you want to be an America? Slowly?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: This is seven hundred WLW, So rewinding a little bit, we'll play it back. The last week Supreme Court of Ohio did not act a judging Franklin Connie denied a temporary restraining order and it all died on the vine. And by the start of March Madness officially the start of all the tournaments. THT beverages are banned in Ohio bars and breweries, and Cincinnati's Fifty West and many other businesses were left kind of holding the bag on it. Joining the show this morning for a little recap and where it goes next as Bobby Slattery, he is the founder of Fifty West Brewing. Welcome, how are you rety?
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Supreme Court didn't act and the tro was denied and the band is effect. How many people showed up and maybe not aware of this and come to fifty West in one of your locations and said, hey, yeah, I want one of those THHG and fused beverages. Were people kind of caught off guard by this?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't even know if we want to talk about people that showed up unexpected, I think more we can speak to the people that showed up the last day it was available, Okay, I mean, Sonny, there was we had.
Speaker 1: We had people coming in and out of the place NonStop.
Speaker 7: We obviously had the customers reach out the day after and go, oh shoot, I missed I missed the boat. Now I can't buy this stuff in Ohio? What am I supposed to do? But the support for these products have been it's been overwhelming. I mean, I never it's honestly been kind of fun to just fun to watch it from as an outsider. Right, it feels like a real movement happening in the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's sad that we just killed us on the whim of the governor. I will point out You had a great post on social said, yeah, we we were taking four semi our tractor tows, four semi loads of the product of the thh and fused drinks and we're taking them down to Kentucky where it's perfectly legal. What kind of messages that's a not but that you're doing, but by the state of Ohio. And let me particular, Governor de Wine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean from us, let's talk about like, why does this matter to me? And why do I care so much? It's about jobs at my at my company. It's about people that work for us and not you know, we ship that stuff into Kentucky. That's great, that was stuff we made, but we're not allowed to make it anymore. And we got people that work in our business, great people that have done great work to create something that the people in Ohio care about. And now, I mean, they don't really have anything to do, right, so we have to sit here and say, oh, well, if you don't have anything to do, well, then what's our next step?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 7: And so that's that's what stinks. It's you know, what, you want me to pick my pickup or manufacturing and move into Kentucky. It's it's right like that's that's where it gets a little bit difficult. So we're working through that right now. I would say this fight's not over. I think it's gonna get really interesting here in the next week. If this was a football game here, you know, we're we're under two minutes.
Speaker 1: I do see a way to score.
Speaker 2: You see a path I want to get in that just a second. But I got the opinion of Scottie Hunter was on a couple of times with me from our urban artifact. You guys are enjoined in the suit with two other manufacturers and it didn't go anywhere. Have you ever gotten to your satisfaction as someone who brings money into the state of Ohio, you know, you generate a lot of tax revenue for the state and the locom news spills. Have you ever got an answer to your satisfaction as to why Mike the Wine struck down the THT beverage issue And it was a line eight in veto is a what it was? Because the initial bill looked pretty good, you said yourself, Yeah, the fifty six was great, as best as we could do. There's some really positive things in there. But Mike de Wine came along with the power of his pen and completely struck that out, and the legislature and the courts backed them up. Did you ever get an answer as to what the issue is.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go a.
Speaker 7: Little bit back on that. I mean, fifty six was not good when it started, and we still it wasn't and we worked to get it there. And kudos to our General Assembly. They did a great job right in that bill. I mean we were asking to go probably seventy miles an hour, and they told us we could go sixty five. So, like obviously there were certain things in there we wanted a little bit, a little bit more, but overall was a great bill, and there was a lot of conversations with people that took the time to understand it, those that drank them and those that didn't drink them. I think the part from the governor's side is, I don't know how involved we never felt, like, you know, the governor was very involved in learning about this process or trying to understand it or understand where the bill was coming from. So when he made the decision on behalf of the little hiot winds by just taking his pen and crossing out fifteen lines of law, that was written in by you know, the people we elected. Yeah, it's it. That's a hard one. That's a hard one to understand it. And nobody's really clear why. And I think that's that's that's the that's the harder part is is we don't really have a clear explanation.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's the frustrating. Give me a reason why, and you're thinking and and it tends me because I know Mike do Wan. I have talked to him many times and seems like a you know, a guy who's a little bit more moderate, willing to listen, but in this case, his mind and his mind's been made it for years. I remember when hell I was on at night, I'd have him on as Attorney General when he was Attorney general, and he's just got this thing about marijuana. You're not going to change a man's mind. But it's unfortunate that one person has that kind of power because this means a whole bunch of jobs have been lost and and for some companies I may have to shut down entirely because the growth of Tha beverages was exceeding and offsetting the loss and craft beer. Do you find that to be true? At fifty West.
Speaker 7: Oh I mean we were our production. I've been put into perspective. You know, we would have manufactured more THHC beverages this year than we would craft beer. And we're the probably between the third and fifth largest brewer in Cincinnati. I mean that it's a major, major driver. And the other breweries throughout the state or feeling the same thing. It was an opportunity that was taken away. That is gonna affect jobs, it is going to affect revenue from the state, and yeah, it's it's very confusing, and yeah, I guess we just we got we're working on.
Speaker 1: There is a path here, Okay, there is There is.
Speaker 2: The ability to overturn this, all right, So let's get into that. I just had Friday, and I've had them many times. Of course. The author of fifty six Senate Bill fifty six Steve Huffman from Tip City, and he was a little bit more optimistic as well, from a legislative standpoint, but from a business owner who's really, you know, face it right now, having to get rid of all this product you can't manufacture at more in the state of Ohio. Where do you see the optimism here? Give me a glass half full stuff. I'm gonna put some pressure on Steve here. So Steve wrote the bill.
Speaker 7: There are the votes in the House right now to overturn this, it has to be brought by the Speaker, Matt Huffman. Matt doesn't have the opportunity to bring it until the Senate votes on it. And it's pretty apparent that there's also the votes in the Senate. We've talked to Steve several times. His initial concern was there weren't the votes in the House. Then the vote in the House showed up. Now we said, Steve, the votes in the House are there, bring this up to the Senate. Let's get it done it And now Steve's saying, well, we'd have to write some different laws.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we can get this through.
Speaker 7: So what we got to figure out is how do we put the pressure on our Senate president and our Speaker of the House to bring this to vote.
Speaker 1: Because if they bring it to.
Speaker 7: Vote, the votes exist within the people that we elected overturn this. And I've heard that directly from them. We are we know it's there. So our question right now is, hey, let's bring.
Speaker 3: It to a vote.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you bring it to vote and they vote it down. Great, But why are we not bringing this to vote is the real question right now. And Steve has a lot of power because he wrote the bill. We're a little confused why he keeps flopping on you know the reason we're not bringing it to vote?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know the Attorney General is involve The AG's office was involved in this as well, and trying to get a file a response I think to the Supreme Court case as well. I think the concern is from maybe not Steve, and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but the concern was that, Okay, the governor's override didn't take back for ninety days, so you shut down. They should be shut down on March nineteenth, and then it can reopen if they were the case June tenth, but then you'd have to shut down back in November when the federal law kicks in. I wonder how many lawmakers are like, well, it's a moot point anyway, because you're going to reopen just to shut down when the federal law kicks in.
Speaker 7: Well, but you're having the same fight federally, and we anticipate that that's going to get extended. If you look at the bill that they wrote, they clearly documented in that bill guidelines for for when it reopens. So in the in the meantime, why are you shutting out all the businesses in Ohio and giving us an opportunity? Right, you're just behind well, I mean you shut our manufacturing down. Why did you shut our manufacturing down? If that's the case, let us open our manufacturing back up. Uh, you're you're you're putting us behind everybody else. And and this is not something that that takes someone to reopen. I mean that they their their concern has to do with the guidelines that that are put into place, that that's going to be governed by the Director of Cannabis Control. We've been we've been monitored by the Department of Agriculture, and all of the demands from the Department of Control that they were asking, all of those demands were being met by the Department Agriculture. So just take take the guidelines that they were using and apply it and have cannabis control hands.
Speaker 2: Well, that would make sense, Bobby, that's the problem. That's the same that you and me and someone listening go, well, that's a sensible thing. Let's just wait to see what the Feds do. And you know, is is ten months really going to be that big a deal? Probably not. But Bobby's ladders here. He's the founder of fifty West Brewing, you know, talking about the fallout from the THC Beverage band which he had. Of course, all these business is really hard because we had March Madness. The bars were packed. People want to watch basketball and enjoy t TCH beverage is the fastest growing consumer drink segment there when it comes to intoxicating beverages not alcohol. But have to drive THC and we can't sell in Ohio, but other states can't. How many other states, by the way, besides Kentucky can can sell this legally.
Speaker 7: I mean it's federally legal. So there's a few that don't. California doesn't. A lot of times in the states that that don't allow. It has to do with marijuana's blocking on gotcha. So but you know, I would say it's it's probably it's great. It's greater than half the states in the United States.
Speaker 2: We don't want any parties we want we're Ohio and we want no part of it.
Speaker 1: Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, everybody bordering us.
Speaker 3: Right, you're good, you can over there.
Speaker 2: So if you live in Cincinnati, if you live in Toledo, you go ahead, drive over the border, have some drink. You can drink and drive more. Presumably that's not a problem with the THC beverage. That that's a problem right there. All right, So the fast track here then is what so give me, give me like the sunshine. This goes on and eventually the federal government comes to their senses. I don't know how much sense they have with the shutdowns and everything else. But let's say presumably they have some sense, Bobby Slattery, and they go, okay, you know what, You're right. The TCH beverages, they're fine. People want it. It's a growing sector. No one's dying, you know, no one's passing out. It's not like, you know, they're poison that we're selling or something like that. It's regulated. All is good, that's the hope. Anyway, give me some odds on this thing.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm I'm not an odds maker. What I can tell you is there is there is a real will amongst the people that have There's a lot of people out there that stop drinking alcohol, that turn to these as sort of an alternative, kind of a step between an na beverage and drinking alcohol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they really care.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of people that care about the fundamentals of how me to override you have that. And I would tell you there's a lot of businesses out there that the worst thing and I'm going to steal some words out of out of the you know, the founder of Jackie O's art O Strike, he said this, you know the other day, but the worst thing you have to do as a business owner is light people off.
Speaker 2: It's it's literally horrible.
Speaker 7: You don't want to have to do that, right, So all of us are now faced with that, we're being faced with that.
Speaker 1: And when you face people with that, they're gonna fight.
Speaker 3: We're not.
Speaker 7: This is this is, this is not you know, they got us, they got us pinned up against the wall. They you know, they got our hands against our throat. We're going to fight back. And so I think you're gonna see that from all these businesses coming up, and you're gonna see the people that are disappointed with their drinks. And I think in the next week, you know, you're that pressure is going to get applied to you know, our our politicians to say, hey, this is really going to affect people in Ohio, and our hope is is that let's just bring it to vote. Let's bring bring it, bring it to vote in the House of the Senate for an overturn. They spent, they wrote a great bill. The governor fundamentally changed their bill. You know, do they have the will to to to come back and say, hey, no, that that's not what we wanted. So that's our hope, that's what we're going to be fighting for, and I think it's going to be a fun couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, you also have eight months to convince the federal representatives, Senate and the members of the House that this is a good thing people wanted, they consume it, and and you've got time to fight that. I think the problem with you guys was you had this petition drive, but you didn't have that long to get the necessary signatures to send this to the AG's office. So it failed simply because I think the clock ran out and you had all those weeks and weeks and weeks of very cold weather, so people aren't going out to begin with.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, that's also the referendums was a little bit of a different you know. That was that was suggesting the market completely open. Back in the time, you know, no age gating.
Speaker 1: No, they were saying, hey, throw Central fifty six out.
Speaker 7: I think we liked Centel fifty six here in Ohio, and we're in favor of it, you know, the beverage manufacturers are. And so that's why the referendum was a little tricky. That was another piece to it. That that that hurt with getting signatures was just that, you know, it was It wasn't all orenough scenario. What we're saying is, let's stick with the rules and regulations that are you know, we want to regulated market.
Speaker 1: He wrote a regulated market. Let's let's abide by it.
Speaker 7: But let's abide by the one that was sent to the governor, not the one that he's made the decision on.
Speaker 2: The in eight months, so let me ask you, we're almost out of time here, Bobby. In eight months, though, can you flip a switch and start if the Feds are legalized you or say it's okay, can you just flip a switch and start production. Ramp that up, and in the next eight months roughly what happens are those jobs.
Speaker 1: No, if the Fed, you know, change the thing November. It's illegal in Ohio.
Speaker 3: It's this is legal federally.
Speaker 2: Right now, isn't. And that's the FED to say, put their foot there.
Speaker 7: Governor Dwan has decided to make it illegal in Ohio. So and if and you know, we're working on the federal front right now. I'm not coming from a lot of different states to change that. And so that's going to get changed. But Ohio is going to be good because our governor, you know, changed it. So that's that's where we're staying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got to lean on him more. I get the nuance there. I just wonder how many jobs are going to be lost because you can't keep people on who aren't producing what they were hired doing for long.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can't sit around for eight months. So I think that that that's that's why we're asking. We're looking at you. I gotcha the Speaker of the House and the Senate President to say, hey, guys, you know, let's let's let's put the bill for it that you guys voting on and sent it.
Speaker 2: I can't say I like THC, but not in the liquid form. It's fine. It's okay. I'd rather have a beer or a bourbon. That's my thing. But you know what I hate when government oversteps and tells otherwise hardworking, god fearing, tax paying good citizens what they can and can't drink or put in their body. It's not up to you, it's up to me. Provided there's testing, provided there's health department oversight, and those other things that need to be regulated but not banned. That's an entirely different thing. Bobby Slattery, thanks for the time over at fifty West, brother, I appreciate you the best. Yeah, keep me in the loop on us. I want to keep fighting this one for sure. All right, takes coming, gotcha, take care of my man. I got to get a news update in here next and then we'll talk Red's baseball ahead on seven hundred W Scott Some show Monday morning, seven hundred WLW. And we do this every Monday during Red Sea and that would be our buddy Jeff Carr with Locked on Reds. The Reds break camp tomorrow before heading back home for opening Day. And camp is not the only thing broken. We had this just glod of pitchers and all of a sudden, now it's pretty thin Jeff, welcome back.
Speaker 3: How we doing, Sony? The Reds always test their depths. It doesn't matter how much they've got of it, they use it all baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before the season even starts. So Nick Lidolo is pitching, everything's going good, and then all of a sudden, it's not. Now We've got a second pitcher down with a blister. And it's nothing new. He's battlest his entire career. He said this spring he was taking some preventative measures. But you know, if those measures don't hold the March game, what are the realistic options for the Reds to manage this through one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think that there is a special circumstance with this because Arizona was something close to Mercury as far as the temperature goes. This past week, they were moving games around, pushing huntil later in the day, and so I think that there was just something to it that pushing too hard, too fast, or something like that. But still, you're right, we're talking about a guy that there's been one problem in his career and he continues to face that one problem. Begin news is that all reports indicate that they caught it before it got too bad. It did not rip on its own. They were able to treat it and all that other stuff after the game was over. And so that's exactly what happened with Brady Singer, and all reports indicate that he is not going to miss any time he's supposed to make his first start. Brady Singer is for the third game of the season. I am hopeful that that's what we hear with Nicolodolo, although we know that we're talking about two different pictures when it comes to blusters in this case. But I still think that they caught this early enough. And I think that the body language of Nickelodola was key. Whenever he was coming off the mound, you could see that he was mad. He wasn't dejected or depressed or drained. It was that he was angry, almost as if it's like here we go again. But I don't think that this is the case of like, Okay, he's gonna miss twenty three days like he did with his last blister issue last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we know this is a pattern for him. And the question now is just a skip a star situation? What are we talking an idea?
Speaker 3: I think that ultimately they probably will simply because there's not one more tune up that they can play with, and maybe they give him an extra bullpen session or something like that on the side here to make sure that everything holds up in normal weather for this time of year, for the place that he is used to being at, rather than you know, arid, dry condition. So I think that ultimately they probably will skip that first start against Boston and then we'll see him when the Red's hit the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, that makes sense. So he misses a little time. Who steps in Louder Burns, Williamson, what are we looking at?
Speaker 3: I think it probably just kind of crunch this rotation up. I think that you would be fine to move Brady Singer into the second game of the Boston Red Sox series, and then you would see redt Louder in the final game on Sunday and then on Pittsburgh. I wonder a little bit because they'll add that bullpen spot or well, they won't put him on the IL, I don't think, because he'd only miss one start, but well, you know, so they would play around with the roster a little bit. Then you might have that extra bullpen guy, and so you might see Chase Burns start but only throw three or four innings against the Pirates in the fifth game of the year.
Speaker 2: Yea, and Tito said already that we'd be revisiting that situation within a couple of weeks, you know, and so trying to figure out who emerges as a clear number four. Was that made any more evident in this last week full week of play in Goodyear.
Speaker 3: I think that Brandon Williamson is really separating himself. He has had a nice spring, and while I've tried to take it with a grain of salt, it just seems like every time he goes out there he has a good outing, and his most recent outing he pitched five plus innings, So it kind of looks like he is ready to go and be relied on. And if you are going to see Nickelodella miss more than one start, I think you can work Chase Burns up in that first start, maybe even the second start. He goes five innings and then you're ready to turn him loose. But I think that the Reds are in any better situation here than you know. We as Reds fans, we love to take that pessimistic view, and whenever we heard six starting pitchers for five spots. We're like, well, you know that old adage when you say you got two quarterbacks, you don't really have a quarterback. Do you have six starting pitchers? I mean, you don't have any And I don't think that's the case here. And I was happy to hear that their plan for the whole piggyback starter situation was not going to be something that extended far into the season, because that would be the thing that I'd say, Okay, this is a bad idea, because you are going to tax your bullpen, you are going to to put some weird stress on these young starting pitchers. But the quick hook, as it were, on this plan is the key too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's Jeff Carr. So the Car Show, Baby and Lockdown Reds is the podcast last weekend of full play. I think they break we break camp tomorrow and then head back for Thursday. Opening day will be live at Holy Girl Banks is always starting at nine o'clock, Me, Moegger and everybody, everybody, everybody up until game time. So hundred Green is out to at least July. Pretty huge hole there, obviously, with your ace going down and trying to hold it together. Andrew Abbott's getting the started an opening day. Is he ready to go? Does he have any blisters? Any headache? Is he like cramping? What's is he? Okay?
Speaker 3: All reports indicated he is ready to go, and his most recent start, he got his pitch count up really nicely. And I know that a lot of folks continue to belabor the statistics and I don't think they will have too many worries after his opening day start.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, that's fingers crossed hopefully to go. We know you mentioned Brady Singer dodge a blister scare of his own. How important is it for him to stay healthy this year?
Speaker 3: He is the rock in the middle of the reservation mate thirty two starts last year, first treads start to make thirty two starts since the Red Side guy's name, Louis Castillo and Tyler Malley shown up for him every fifth day, so it's been a little bit there and I continue to expect him to do that again, and it sort of earmarked the top four. And as much as we are seeing you know, Hunter Green missing half the season or more and Nicolodolo is already dealing with blister issues, this whole top four thing is getting. It's taken its licks early, but I'd love to see one hundred and twenty starts from the top four, which that just means each guy needs to average thirty. And if you take probably you know, fifteen away from Hunter Green, it's likely that they missed that one hundred and twenty mark. But Brady Singer is going to be that guy that you can rely on to kind of lift everybody else up in that group.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, Cayleen Ferguson is going to start on the el all. He's got a MRI coming up this week, I think Wednesday. Back here in Cincinnati, bullpen supposed to be a big strength after the rebuild this offseason. How much losing him does that hurt? To calculus here?
Speaker 3: It's not as bad as you would think in years past, because the year the Reds saw their biggest weakness in the bullpen being their lefties, and when you know, last year, for the much of the year, it was just Brent Suitor and he wasn't really even a lefty specialist. He was more of a long relief specialist. The Reds needed to upgrade that and so that's why they signed him. They traded for brock birth and they kept Sam maul where a lot of people wondered if they might cut him. Well, they're looking like geniuses for keeping him now because he's going to be able to backfill Caleb Ferguson's the spot at least in the short term. And Sam Maull's actually looked good this spring, where last year he was not good at all in the spring or in the regular season. He showed up the camp out of shape. This year he's completely different. It looks like he was super focused. All of his appearances have looked really well. Albeit he's still had a little bit of control, but every pitcher kind of goes through that during spring training, and so I expect him to at least fill in in a way that the Reds won't necessarily miss Caleb Ferguson as much. But whenever Caleb Ferguson returns, then we will see the sailing of the bullets.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sam mall also made the team, and Tito talked about his stuff looking a lot better late in camp. Is he a legitimate back end weapon or is he is he a roster filler? While Ferguson recovers.
Speaker 3: Honestly, if he could pitch like he pitched in twenty twenty four. He could be a legitimate weapon. He was a guy that was super good at limiting opponents whenever he came in. I kind of had this stet that I never really came up with a good name for a very relief pitcher that came in, didn't allow base rounder and got at least one strikeout and Sam Mall led. That was second in the team to Alexis Diaz that year. But I mean, I think a lot of people would have been surprised by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what we need. We need We need another statistic in baseball. We need a new plan every year.
Speaker 3: I looked at the long list and I'm like, flony, there's there's.
Speaker 2: Not enoay, there's not enough data. More I demand, I demand more data. He is Jeff Carr with lockdown, right, all right. So that's the pitching situation which has been pretty frightening here in the last couple of weeks, with the injuries, the blisters, of course, losing your your opening day ace, Caleb bur Ferguson on the bullpen. What can make up for that and cover a lot of problems there? If indeed we have problems would be, of course, the position player. So let's talk lineup. Matt McClain has had one of the best off spriensive offensive springs in all of baseball, I mean all the major leagues. Is it real this time?
Speaker 3: I think that there are elements to it that are real. I'm not going to expect him to hit over three hundred for the season, but there's a very key thing that he has done this spring that he just hasn't done so far in his two year career, and that is he has cut his chase rate almost I mean almost by ten percent. His career chase rate is at twenty seven percent and this year, or sorry, twenty five percent. And this spring he only swung it pitches outside the strike zone at a rate of seventeen percent. So his plate discipline is up, his eye is better, He's seeing the ball really well. Now there's some other stats, like when it comes to his luck and things like that that would say that, well, a five twenty six batting average is a little high. It's a little lucky, and whenever you make more hits than outs, I think most people would agree with that. But at the end of the day, I am buying his plate discipline, and I'm buying his approach the way that he is able to kind of stay back on his back foot and wait on that breaking ball that's low and away, put his bat on it and just poking in the right field for a single and move along. He has now covered the hole in his swing that pitchers knew about last year are going to have to regain plan for him. And while they do that, I think Matt McLean's going to be producing quite a bit for the rest.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, Yeah, and he's it looked incredible so far as it has for Ellie. He just continues to do Ellie like things. He's healthy, he looks good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we saw a couple of different situations in the spring where he either walks where he gets a single and then you blink and he's on third. And that's exactly what we need from him in games where he might not have his best stuff with the bat, as long as his legs can carry him forward. He's a five tool guy. Yeah, you know, if all five of those tools are working like we've seen the spring, then we are going to see the superstar that we know that he can be.
Speaker 2: Gotcha Noelvie Marti had some some shaky moments in right field defensively, Tito said he made the club for sure. So what's your honest assessment. Who's watched a lot of spring training honest as seven of Noelvie Marti as an everyday player for the season starting Thursday.
Speaker 3: You know, like the old cartoons or something where somebody he's like trying to figure something out and so they hold up a big spyglass to something. I'm still holding up a big spyglass to Noelvi Marte when he's fielding right now. I got to figure out what that looks like. Because obviously he had the best play of the year last year for the Reds. But at the same time, we saw plenty of plays where he's kind of run around in the outfield like bugs bunny, trying to find a baseball, and you don't want to see that on a regular basis. You want to see guys taking good routes. You want to see him putting himself in an easy position to make a play, and I don't know that we really saw that this spring. So I hope that he acquires that rather quickly because this outfield it seems interesting because there were some nice performances from guys this year, But I don't necessarily know that I buy how much this outfield or how good this outfield has looked in spring training. I've got to see that. That's the one thing that I've remarked for the season that I'm like, I got to see it to believe it. And I got to see his glove working believe okay.
Speaker 2: And then also the bench too, love the fact that they resigned to a Vigno Platinum glove catcher send Multilegit. That's awesome, Will Benson. Obviously, Nathaniel Low who made the club despite a lot of personal trauma during spring training, but he still showed up.
Speaker 3: You know, Nick Kral must be living right because for NATHANIELO to be available for nothing, and that's what the Reds got him for was nothing, and he's going to be a key part of this team for this year because I think that he's going to bounce back in a big way. He's a guy that his career has been good. Last year was not, and so if he can just get back to what the back of his baseball card says, then he is going to be an asset for the Reds. And how many times have we been able to say that for the Reds in these past couple of years. So many young guys trying to make their way in the major leagues and they don't have a back of the baseball card. NATHANIELO does and we know what he can bring to the field. Good on base guy, solid line drive power. He's everything that Nick Kral says he wants a hitter is. Nick Carl loves to tell us how much he loves the life a line drive hitter. That's so Nathaniel is. And so he's gonna play for base BDH but also be pinch hit extraoreding air for the Reds from the left side of the plate. And I think he's gonna be a weapon that the Reds can use in multiple spots.
Speaker 2: Okay, good should be interesting. Ready to play some ball. Sunday, we got a little taste of what summer's like for like twenty I felt like you're in Florida for twenty four hours and then back to reality. But the forecast looks good so far. To get this one in and he is Jeff Carr with Lockdown Reds this Morning on seven hundred WLW all the best, buddy, Thanks for coming in this morning, and I'm ready for some baseball, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's funny. Same here, man. I can't wait. Just a few days left. The games will count, It'll be fine. Can't wait. Go back all right.
Speaker 2: We got pictures going down. We got warm weather for twenty four hours, now back to what feels like the deep freeze. We've got a crisis, Iran. We're pulling out. No, no, we're doubling down. And we've got the DHS funding stop and the partial government shutdown, meaning there's long lines and a lot of airports in the country right now. We got Chuck Norris died on Friday for crying out loud. We got a lot of stress. I'm speaking of stress. Cunningham's coming up in minutes. But you know what we you know we need, we need baseball and you'll have it here Thursday, Live It All begins new on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWD, Cincinnati