Speaker 1: Do you want to be in American Idio Scott's loan on seven hundred W which you need to know this morning is important if you're gonna have got to have a good time this weekend or any time for that matter. Encourage you not to drink and drive or smoke and drive because it's just it's not worth it. But they're changing the OVI laws, at least they want to. It's Ohio Senate Bill fifty five, and that would definitely I'm looking at this going.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of issues with it. Namely, it's not the smoking and the edibles and the stuff with THHC and now especially with the cbdsah slash THC and fused beverages that are extremely popular right now you can get in bars at the General Assembly just figured out how to do that. Now you're gonna get a whole bunch of people who may enjoy those beverages that wind up getting stopped and arrested and charged well after they consume that beverage, like days later on that jeff Meadows from the Law Metals Law Firm making sense of it. Jeffrey, how's life great, Scot? Everything is fine? I could be driving right now like I think you're on your way to Batavia. You said, so this time a year with the all with the leaves, and it looks good, beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, nice little drive. So, uh, the bill pass the Ohio Senate unanimously. It's in the House Judiciary Committee and looks like it's going to move forward. So the big question a while with them, because you're listening this going, well, maybe I, you know, like to go out and have a few drinks or smoke or whatever it is, can you explain like what the problems they're trying to fix.
Speaker 2: So there's two issues in under Ohio viilaw as it relates to marijuana and marijuana by products. When we consume a marijuana product, the chemical compound that gets us high makes this happy, hungry, sleepy, whatever is delta nine THCHC or what's commonly referred to as THHC. THHC then breaks down into something called hydroxy THCHC, which is the first past metabolite that further breaks down into something called carboxy THHC. And under the current law, it's there is a per se limit for metabolites and for actual THC. And when I say a per see limit. Most people are familiar with alcohol, it's point oh eight. If you're a point o eight or higher, you're guilty. It doesn't matter whether you're buzzed or hammered or not. Same thing with marijuana. Prom with this is especially as it relates to the metabolites is CARBOXYPHC. We currently have a limit of thirty five nanograms in urine, and it doesn't matter if there's thirty five nanograms of carboxy in your urine or thirty five million. It has zero psychoactive properties. What that means is it doesn't affect your ability to do anything. It doesn't make god, it doesn't make you hungry, doesn't make you tired, It doesn't affect your ability to stand, walk, talk, or most importantly drive. So we've had this loss for a number of years now, and anyone even prior to the legalization of recreational marijuana. If you went to Las Vegas and you got highs a kite and legally in Las Vegas under Las Vegas ball not federal law. Course, when you fly home and get in your car and cross over the river into Ohio, you're guilty because this carboxy THC metabolite is stored in your fat cells, and it's going to be there's gonna be a different retention period forever.
Speaker 1: Got so instead of kind of bringing around with all the numbers in that Jeff Metters, what you're saying is is, basically, this would be like, we know that the alcohol is a component with beer or wine or whiskey that gets you drunk. Alcohol obviously evaporates quickly, you metabolize it fairly quickly compared to this and once it's gone to suit side of your system, but there could be some components in that wine or beer whiskey that remain in your body because it's a nutrient for lack of a better term, and it's going to hang around till your body digest. I'd be like testing for those components of it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It'd be like the apple flavor in I don't know, Crown Royal, for example, hangs around longer than the alcohol does. Be Okay, we got you because you've got too much apple in your system. Same thing here. It's a component that doesn't get you high, but it's an after effect and artifact from the original product. So you know, it could be two days, three days, which is why when you have a drug test, you know, okay, well I can't smoke for thirty days because it takes that long for those metabolites to get out of your system. You're not high in day twenty nine, but the metabolites are still there.
Speaker 2: Correct, And actually alcohol Scott has a metabolite. It's called apple gluecoran EID or ETG. It hangs around in your body for up to eighty hours. And some probation departments who you know, they do urine test for ETG to see if probation or inter drinking. So that'd be like testing people that leave a judicial fundraiser, a prosecutors fundraiser, e Lodgy testing them two days later, Hey, you're guilty, and that would be moronic. So, but what SB fifty five does. There is a per se limit for actual THHC presently of two nanograms in your whole blood, and SB fifty five raises that from two to five. And in doing a little bit of prep for our discussion this morning, I actually found an article that was submitted by an opponent of Senate Bill fifty five, and it's a seven page letter that is actually I was very skeptical going into it. But I read and I'm like, this guy's pretty smart, and it talks about how people, based on scientific studies, chronic users of marijuana product can test five nanograms any time of the day when they're not impaired whatsoever. And the crux of this letter to the Senate was that any per se limit for marijuana is still advised. And again it's it's based in some pretty solid studies. There was one study from a guy over in Europe that I've actually attended some of his lectures right in aw Jones, And this is actually cites actual science, which oftentimes our General Assembly doesn't well, they.
Speaker 1: Don't want to look at Jeff Meadows.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It made me think of what we've just talked about previously with like the CBD you know, can't drink bands and stuff because the craft beer industry is fading out and a local brewery's Ryan Geist fifty West, all those guys are coming up with new products. And it was you know, CBD infused or THC infused drinks, and there's a nuance between the THC that you extract from and you know, from from hamp and from from marijuana, and there's a nuance there, and I get that. I don't want to mingle the two together. But point it is people drinking and go wow, I like the feeling better than alcohol by drinking these THC and fused drinks that comes from hamp and not marijuana. Would would this all get caught in there too? So someone who's maybe you go, hey, man, I don't care. I don't you know. I don't use tin cheer, I don't smoke, I don't do edibles, but I enjoyed the THHC infused beverages. Would would people also be subject to this? Does that work as well?
Speaker 2: So the short answer is yes. Delta THHC, which is largely what's derived from the hemp product, can cause you to test positive or over certain limits depending on the frequency and quantity of use for the marijuana metabolite. So Cinebill fifty five was a wife bipartisanville. It passed the Senate unanimously, and now it's in the House Judiciary Committee, and it completely eliminated this metabolite section of our OVII Wall forty five eleven nineteen of the Higher Revised Code. So first glance, it's awesome because it completely gets rid of the per se component of metabolite. It does say that a finder of facts, whether it's a judge or jury, can consider a chemical test namely learned along with any other competent evidence, an officer's observation, you know, what he smells, what he sees on your performance. But the problem again is that the carboxy THHC, which is typically the only thing you're ever going to see identified any urine test, is not psychoactive, so there shouldn't be impairment psychomotor skills or fields based solely on marijuana.
Speaker 1: MATAE interesting does that well? Actually, by the way, Jeff Meadows, he's an attorney metals law from one of the great ov I attorneys. It's Ohio Senate Bill fifty five. And even if you don't live on know how, you should know this because it changes our ov E laws and basically the way it changes metabolite testing for OVA metabolizer will fill over the byproduct from using thhc so marijuana or in this case, some of those thhd infused beverages that the state legislatures will wound up cleaning up, so you can continue to enjoy those, if you drink those, if you smoke edibles, whatever. You could be jammed up in this thing because the metabolites or this hang around much much longer than the effects, the high effects that you'd have. It's kind of like, you know, doing a breathalyzer test after you had a few drinks three or four or five or twenty nine days later. It's not fair, And I wonder. I can't help but think that this is like a de facto way to get people to use less marijuana, because we know the state legislature absolutely hates anyone who uses marijuana. They fought tooth and nail against all this thing for whatever reason. Is this a way to undermine the demand for it?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. Are telling what they're thinking. But you know, there's some good language in this, like I said, eliminating the person day limits for the metabolize, you know, and if you're sitting at home in the evening watching Super Troopers and then marijuana, you shouldn't be convicted of an ov I for driving to work the next day when the active THHD is gone.
Speaker 1: He is a Jeff Meadows Attorney's a lawyer, scientist, the metals law firm. Ov I guy, and again it's an Ohio Senate Bill fifty five pass unanimously, a change ov I laws. If you got pulled over on a Friday. Let's say you get pulled over on a Friday night, take me through that stop. If you had some of these metabolites in your system. Let's say you're out having some of those beverages that have THC in them. Maybe you did that on Friday and it's now Sunday and you get pulled over before lane violation and the officer suspects that you have you've been pulled over and you've been using I don't know, either alcohol or that type of drug. How do you defend that? What's the process like from the first out?
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, Scott, I mean this is the starting point. If I'm going to go out and have beverages, I actually uber from home. That way, I'm never tempted to drive you home. Yeah, and it amazes me. I still have a job with all the rideshare opportunities. But if you do, because it is legal to drink and then get in the cars, why there's parking lot at every bar. Right, you know, always be polite, respectful, hand your documents to the officer. Quite frankly, I'm a fan rolling the window all the way down. This bull craft of cracking your window and sliding your license out. Everybody knows what that's about. Your hiding something. Just roll your damn winded down and give them your documents. Let that car air out a little bit. When they ask you if you've had anything to drink or smoke or edibles, I think at that point you just invoke your constitutional right. The officer, I'd like to have an attorney if you want to question me. I really don't want to answer any questions. It is none of their business where you're coming from and where you're going to. So when they say so, where are you coming from? Officer, not answering that question? Where are you headed? Not answering that question either. If you want to keep questioning me, I'd like to talk field lawyer. We can call Medos right now. His numbers three h nine, jeffs my mood right. When they tell you to get out of the car, get out. They've got fifty thousand bolts on their hip to coerce you if you don't. And then I recommend nobody do feel sobrieties, especially the eye test when they're moving their finger or pin across your field of vision. They're looking for a neurological condition called nice stagnus. Most of the people who administered the test on a regular basis have more education than these officers do. They're called brain surgeons, and it's a test that's administered routinely every day in neurology and ophthalmology offices. These are people that have significant education and experience. When you've got an officer doing these tests and you're looking into the sun, you're looking at rotating lights. They're doing it on the side of the road with cars going buy a fifty five or eighty miles an hour. Overwhelmingly, Now that we have body warn camera, I can zoom in on my client's face and see that there is verifiably no nice stagnats, even though the officers believe they see it. And I don't think they're lying when they put it in their own Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's confirmation by it, right, Yeah, And that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's why you never you know, you have lawyers and judges and they get pulled. They never take the test. You just say, listen, I'm not doing anying. I'll talk to an attorney, can they force you to take a blood alcohol test, you've got to get a quart order for that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you got to have a war Yeah. And you know, like the doormat at my in my house has come back with a.
Speaker 1: Warrant, come back with a warrant. Yeah, that's a bad and that's that's just one on one kind of stuff there. But they changed these laws and then you wonder, Okay, well, is it just gonna make it? Is? Is it? Is it a de facto way to prevent people from enjoying what we wanted and that is recreational and in cases medicinal marijuana and Ohio is Jeff Meadow's attorney with the Metals law firm. What's that number again?
Speaker 2: Five nine, Jeff is myself. Hopefully it's going to be going up here tonight. Well, I hope not.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is, it's like, you know, it's a you represent your clients very very well, you're the best, uh, but at the same times, like you shouldn't do it, and you wouldn't have to call Jeff And because it's a it's a pain in the ass. From what I understand, I've never done it. I hope never have to call you, Jeff, I'm trying, in my almost sixty years of life never to do that. So all the best, buddy, have a good one. I appreciate the insight. Thank you two. Have a great weekend, yeap. Stuff you need to know as you head into the weekend. Here the city of Cincinnati can get and not get out of their own way. Interesting observation. All of the people that they have had fired in their administrative stabs, you know, chiefs and fire and they're either black or female. You notice that. And yet where's the outrage from the people who are outraged about the one white guy being the victim during the July brawls. We'll get into that. Plus, do you know how binge watching start? You gotta binge watch this weekend. The weather, the way it is, no football, The story behind that, how it actually started has nothing to do with COVID, by the way, nothing to do with COVID. We'll get into that next afternoons on the Scotslane Show on this Friday morning on the home of the best Bengals coverage. Except this weekend where the Bengals are idle, They're off, they're by there's no way they can lose this weekend. Can the Bengals lose this weekend? How many points can the defense give up? It's impossible. It's statistically impossible for the Bengals to lose this weekend. You can't do it. They're not playing, they're idle, and yet and yet, come Monday morning, it's the Bengals. So home of the best Bengals coverage one hundred Deuble get the