Speaker 1: For the back to back World Champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach. Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason that Dodgers are doing this because they can they print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue.
Speaker 4: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame host of the World Champion La Dodgers, Tam kats.
Speaker 6: Hi everybody, and welcome in to mool Rongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, your official pregame show of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers, who are on the road in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Is they continue this series against the Giants.
Speaker 6: Dodgers sixteen and seven on this season tied for first place atop the NL West. After dropping the series opener last night in San Francisco, they love to get back on track with show.
Speaker 4: Hey, O, time on the mound.
Speaker 6: First pitch of Oracle Park is coming up at six forty five. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here, so buckle up from Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We'll preview this pitching matchup. We got your Dodgers magical moment. Charlie Steiner will stop by in about thirty five minutes. David Vasse, the best Dodger insider. We'll have all the latest throughout the hour. Shortly we'll visit with Kirsten Watson from Sports to at LA, and in just a few minutes we head out to the gallupin Ford Broadcast Booth with Steven Nelson and Rick Monday. Well, last night it was a rocky star for Yoshinobu Yamamoto, and it didn't help that the defense behind him wasn't really great at least in the first inning, I Sung Kim threw a ball into the dugout. That was the ominous sign for the Dodgers in the first as then Yamamoto had a long first inning rafy al devers, a RBIs single, Schmid, a sackfly. All of a sudden, the Giants were up two to nothing, and they weren't done when Jung Huli came up to bat.
Speaker 3: Jung Huli, the bat left handed hitting outfielder, waiting on the first pitch here it is and he jumps on it on a line to right coming in Tucker has it dropped in front of him coming home is Chapman three to nothing.
Speaker 4: Kyle Tucker with an awful read.
Speaker 3: It seemed on that mole, I thought that that was going to hang up for him to make a catch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, falls in front of him. Chapman scores.
Speaker 6: Three runs come across against Yamamoto in the first inning, but that would be it as Yoshinobo. Yamamoto would go seven innings, allowed three runs on six since he did get some help offensively in the fourth inning and High Sun Kim walk with the bases loaded to bring in the one and only run for the Dodgers last night. Yeah, Dodgers had one run last night on a whopping three hits. They also walked three times, made that seven times in the game last night, so they did have traffic on the base pats.
Speaker 4: They stranded eight runners. They were zero for five with.
Speaker 6: Runners in scoring position last night. But through it all, Yamamoto kept him in the game. After that first inning, he really bared down and threw strikes. The seven innings, he struck out seven, including striking out the.
Speaker 4: Side in the seventh nothing in two. Here's the pitch.
Speaker 3: He struck him out and he strikes south to side in the seventh. Yamamoto strong through seven seven punch outs. He is giving his team a chance, keeping the Dodgers in two, three to one onto the eighth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yamamoto did his part last night, as Steven Nelson said, he gave the Dodgers a chance despite the three runs that were giving up in the first he put up zero's the rest of the way. The Giants didn't score the rest of the game. But when you score one run on three hits, you walk seven times, but you're zero four with runners in scoring position. Not a good recipe, as it is landon rupe goes five innings gets the win. Yamamoto gets tagged with the loss, unfortunately, as the Giants win it three to one. The Dodgers to sixteen and seven overall on this season. With the Padres continuing to win, the Dodgers in San Diego now tied atop the NL standings. Tonight, the Dodgers looked a rebound perfect guy on the mound, Mister double duty himself show hey O Tani first pitch at six forty five and with more let's head up to the Galloping four broadcast with as we welcome in the two guys on the call tonight, Steven Nelson and Rick Mounday.
Speaker 4: Guys, all right, Tim Gates.
Speaker 3: Dodgers gonna try and get back on the horse for Game two of this series against the Giants last night, continuation mole of the disappointment with runners on and the Dodgers' offensive execution. As Yoshinoba Yamamoto was a tough luck loser on a night he certainly did not deserve an l no.
Speaker 7: And he pitched much better than that. A little rough stretch obviously in that first inning and back to back singles and a walk down another single sacrifice fly at RBI single to follow, but then after the first inning, I'm a moto was absolutely sensational because it was just like three up and three down. Allowed only two hints from that point on one hundred and one pitches to the seven innings, and I agree he deserved better than the outcome. I don't think it helped to begin with with an air on the very first batter that he faced in the ball game, But the Dodgers overall just did not play particularly well. There was a miscommunication in the outfield. There was a lob toss coming in from the outfield that almost cost him another run. The Dodgers just did not hit. In fact, if we're looking zero for six with runners in scoring position last night and on this road trip, in the five games the Dodgers in runnings in scoring position had hit as a team only one eighty. On the flip side of the coin, they've allowed a three thirty three average to the visiting team.
Speaker 3: Emi, you tell us or you tell me as the hitter, because I think there's a difference between port results in execution we could, as those numbers indicate. And then the app back quality also not being good either, And I think that is probably the bigger concern that you're seeing, especially notable guys on this road trip. You know, well Tany and Colorado, Kyle Tucker coming up a couple of times, coming up empty, ta Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 4: Just the at back quality isn't there.
Speaker 7: No, it has not been there. And I think because it pitch selection. Is it swinging at pitches early in the count that are kind of borderline pitches? Is it because of pitches and when you're heading the count, say you're two to one or three one count, not really demanding that it would be a very good pitch to begin with. Hey, I've mentioned it before in terms of, say, for example, of three to one pitch with a game on the line, opportunities to do it from a hitting standpoint. I had this explain to me a long time ago. You have to pretend almost is like you're walking into a grocery store. You're going to go into the in the vegetables or the fruit. Say you want apples, right, yeah, well, three to one count, you want to pick up an apple? No, no, no, I don't like that one. It's got a little bruise on it. I picked. No, no, no, I don't like that. When I don't like the stem, Yes, this one I like. That's the same way you have to go to home plate and be particular when you're ahead in the count or an opportunity to put runs on the board.
Speaker 3: All right, So now the Dodgers turn the page and they'll try and bring that mindset to tonight against Tyler Mallley, who, unlike landon Roupe, has struggled so far this year, particularly giving up the long Bowl. Land of Roupe has still even after last night zero home runs allowed, Tyler Malley given up the second most in the matrix.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and the question is how did the Dodgers approach it, because again they're gonna have to make an adjustment to the off speed pitch. The fastball is going to be upstairs, the breaking bowl is going to be down. That's kind of his bread and butter and how he has existed. And if we're looking at this Dodger bolkle think got a couple of guys that have hit very well against breaking pitches in particular. Does that play into their hand a little bit better tonight because for Malle, he's going to throw some breaking pitches and as you mentioned, yeah, he's been taking Pillar to post a three twenty batting average against him.
Speaker 3: Well, the Dodgers want to continue that trend. For Roman show, Hey, old Tani will be on the mound opposite Tyler Mally. We'll be back a little bit later TC with the key from MO.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Nellie, as we count you down to first pitch.
Speaker 6: Dodger fans, you're doing for dinner, heading home, getting ready a little dinner to night about Shaky's Pizza Parlor. Gets your game day meal on or your Shaky's Pizza Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 4: Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 6: As we lead you up to first pitch, you're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. You're gonna hear from Oral Hersheiser as David vas segoes one on one with the Bulldog. Will dive deeper to this pitching matchup. But I'm next sure Tani rewind as the street continues and we'll visit.
Speaker 4: With sports and at LA's Kirsten and Watson.
Speaker 6: That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Giants on this Wednesday night. First bitch from San Francisco is coming up at six forty five. I'm Tim Katson's the back to back World champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers game on your home for LA Dodgers Faceball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Giants on this Wednesday night, Game two of this three game set show. Hey Otani and Tyler Mallley, the pitching madge up. First pitch coming up at six forty five.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewatch.
Speaker 3: Miller's settling on the mount on the payoff, ol Tani hits it on the ground left side at short of dominics, he has it throws across his body. Oldtani beats the throw safe by a half step.
Speaker 1: Hew.
Speaker 3: The inning continues. Well, the Giants challenge.
Speaker 7: If they do, they'll lose. Otani just not wanting to have the inning ended.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 7: He went hustling down that line right away, and that's the difference in extending the inning right here.
Speaker 3: And extending his own on base streak to fifty three games, matches Sean Green for the second longest in franchise history.
Speaker 6: Show Hey Otani and his last at bat last night with two outs, a runner on an infield single up the middle beats the threa and he extends the hitting streak now, as Stevens said, to fifty three consecutive games in a row. That ties Sean Green. Only Duke Snyder has more, fifty eight in a row back in nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 6: Hey Kirson now joins us from Oracle Park in San Francisco. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. The easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today, your car could be picked up tomorrow.
Speaker 4: That easy.
Speaker 6: Donate now at Cars for Kids Dog or that's cars with a K.
Speaker 4: Karrison.
Speaker 6: This Dodger's team needs a little little kick, little little something, a little spark, and I think show hey, o, Tony's just the guy to have on the mount of that.
Speaker 8: You know what he really is.
Speaker 9: You know, when you look at just guys who can be a stopper for the team, I think with Yoshinobya on Moto, I think with what he was able to do yesterday. Yes, that first inning was a tough one, but he really was excellent behind it, just needing the offense to get going, getting that run support. But when you have someone right after yoshi In Sho Heyo Tani Sho Hayes had an excellent start to this year. Through three innings of work. He's got a point five zero ERA. You know, in his last outing he had ten strikeouts. And so Dave Roberts today when he was asked just as to what he's really seen of show Heyo Tani this year, he was saying, he just feels that like he's in such a good spot right now. His feel and his command for his pitches are there, especially that last out, and we saw the swing and miss, and so he's really using his entire pitch mix at the moment. We know last year when it came to show, Hey, it was just a continuation of his build up, coming back from having the surgery, finally being healthy, but understanding, you know, they're playing the long game with him, not just the short one. It's similar this year, but it's clear that even though they have him on a once a week schedule, he's just such in a better and stronger position. He's truly healthy and you're starting to just to see the results of what he can provide when he goes out there. And so the hope is that he can set the tone early and then also maybe give himself some run support, be nice.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 6: And this Dodgers' offense, we saw the bottom of the lineup really producing for the last week or so, some seeing really the top of the lineup get going like we expect him to. And ta Oscar Hernandez one of those guys kind of been up and down.
Speaker 9: Yeah he is. And when I asked him today just kind of how he's been feeling at the plate. He was saying that, you know, right now, it just feels inconsistent, and I said, okay, well, then how does one kind of work through that? And he said, for him, it's a lot of work in the cage, just trying to kind of get his feel back with his swing. So he is working through a few things, but he's looking to kind of just lean a little bit more into that consistency aspect that he feels like he's been missing. And honestly, that's something we've kind of been hearing from a few guys. I think even someone like Kyle Tucker a recently was talking to him and he said he felt the same thing. And you know, even for you know, it's kind of fine with Max Munsey, who's really had excellent numbers for him, he's felt as well just trying to find those consistent at bats and be consistent with the results. And so obviously it's a very long season and that's going to come and go, but that seems to be a lot of the focus of how can they make whether the swing more repeatable or just really finding a little bit more consistency with the results and not kind of the hit here. And then the few strikeouts and bouncing back and forth from that.
Speaker 6: This Dodgers offense once they start clicking, look out, but they need to start clicking one through nine. We just haven't seen it enough this season collectively here some we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: We'll check in with you after the game is still to come.
Speaker 6: Here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we all dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vase joins us of course throughout the hour next so we'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts gets you the very latest from the manager's office as we lead up to Dodgers and Giants on the Wednesday night first bench Froom, San Francisco's at six forty. I'm Tim Gates and this is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the blue All Season Law.
Speaker 6: Marongo Casino dot decatinues on this Wednesday evening as we lead you up to first pitch from San Francisco Dodgers and the Giants, Morongo Casino Resort and Spa a Grand Slam for good times show Hey O toany on the mound, first pitch coming up at six forty five.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 6: Report presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Edwin Diaz on the IL, having loose bodies removed from his throwing elbow today and surgery here in Los Angeles Panicsparius on the IL with the right shoulder inflammation, Mookie Bets on the IL with the right oblique strain, Blake Snell on the IL with the left shoulders soreness.
Speaker 4: To start the year.
Speaker 6: He is on the mound for the Ontario Tower Buzzers who are playing in San Jose. Coming up in about thirty five minutes. Tommy Evan on the IL. Brock Storges in Triple A, Oklahoma City on a minor league rehab assignment. He's getting closer. Evan Phillips, Gavin stone Land and Nat Kiki Hernandez Brusdar Gradarol all currently on the IL. Let's head back up to San Francisco as we check you with the Dodger Skipper anything.
Speaker 9: Questions for Dave, Dave?
Speaker 1: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Robberts.
Speaker 10: I think probably the thing that stood out as his consistency to execute his entire pitch mix. There's a four seamer, there's a two seamer in there, the curveball to slow the hitter down, the sweeper. So yeah, he just in the split. So he's just got a really good.
Speaker 1: Feel right now.
Speaker 9: When it comes to the swing and miss that he showed, especially in that last outing, I mean, what do you attribute to that and how he was able to get back to that after the Blue Jays start?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 10: I don't know. You know, he's just, you know, he just works his minds differently, and you know, he's always trying to improve. This is a situation today where obviously he was lost I think three out of four, so you know he wants to to reset things, to go out there and pitch well to give us a chance to win tonight. So you know, I just saw him a little bit earlier and really focused tonight.
Speaker 5: How much is there a conversation moving forward about not having him hit like you did in his last start. He has sixty at bats since he started pitching with you guys. His banning average is two seventeen. He has two home runs. He's thirty one years old. Now, how much of an open conversation is there between you and Andrew and Show, Hey.
Speaker 10: We haven't had the conversation, you know, it's still yeah. I mean, I think that if you look at the overall numbers, it's certainly something I still feel really good about putting his name in the lineup. I know, the last start I chose not to have him hit and just pitch, and I am open to it, you know, and you know, we'll see, but it's something that we've certainly flagged. But I think overall all we still you know. And also you have to look at what's the different what's the option? And I think in years pastor last year you got to kind of way, who's a different option? Well, now at least you can you can say that daland swinging a good bat and to keep him, you know, consistently getting some at bats could be helpful. But like I said, I'm going to continue to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 6: All right, there's a manager Dave Roberts more on that, and Otani as a two way player moving forward on the dais he pitches with David vazsay, as we continue here on Moroco Casino, Dodgers on Deck leaning up to Dodgers and Giants from Oracle Park in San Francisco. I'm Tim Katson, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes is Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Lead you up to Dodgers and the Giants. Show Hey Otani Tyler Mallley. The pitching matchup Dodgers Baseball has brought to you by Al Potso, born in LA and made for your game day. L Potzo brings authentic Mexican style tomato sauces, sauces and hot sauces right to your table, Alpato Gourmet and a can.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 6: All right, DV yesterday, rain, pregame, rain during the game.
Speaker 4: But what's it like tonight?
Speaker 5: Oh, beautiful temperatures here in San Francisco. The skies are blue, the clouds are in the distance. Tim So, A lot of sun today and the Dodgers haven't seen a lot of sun on this road trip, but so far, so good here at Oracle Park, and just walking back up to the press box a lot of Dodger fans again tonight here at Oracle Park. Last night it was a very lukewarm beat la from the crowd here at Oracle Park. Forty thousand in attendance. I would say at least thirty thousand we're Dodger fans. So times have changed here in sanf Cisco, and Dodger fans have made their way up here and have bought up a lot of tickets and have made themselves very heard here so far in the first game of the series, and by the signs of it today, it should be a pro Dodger crowd again tonight.
Speaker 6: David, we just heard your question and the answer from Dave Roberts about Showy Otani and double duty moving forward on the days he pitches. Is this something that they're gonna start considering more and more as we get going.
Speaker 5: Here, Well, Dave Roberts left the door open for that after or before Otani's last start where he only pitched and by the way, pitched really well because of being hit by a pitch earlier in that series against the Mets, and then when he pitched, he was outstanding ten strikeouts in his last start against the Mets. And the reality is, as I presented to Dave Roberts, the numbers aren't very good for Otani as a hitter when he pitches with the Dodgers. It's a big enough sample size now to really start to draw some conclusions. Sixty at bats, a two seventy two seventeen average with only two home runs and oh, by the way, twenty four strikeouts and seventy two played appearance. And on top of that, Tim Dave Roberts was part of a podcast with Blue Jays manager John Schneider recently, and Schneider admitted in that eighteen inning extra inning game Game three of the World Series, part of his strategy to walk Otawy four times intentionally was to keep him on his feet because he was pitching Game four the World Series, so part of his thinking was, I don't want this guy just going back into the dugout if he doesn't get on. I want him on his feet. I want him running the bases. I want to wear him down. So those are the things that Dave Roberts may consider moving forward. Tomorrow's a twelve to forty five game the Dodgers have lined up Otawni starts to come with a day off the next day, similar to next Wednesday when it's a travel day on Thursday. So at the very least there's gotta be some sort of conversation about this, considering he's thirty one years old on top of all that, and he's not pitching for the Angels anymore, where their season ended in September. He's pitching for the Dodgers, where their season ends in November, no doubt.
Speaker 6: David is brought to by the Fort and Maverick Motor Trends of the North American Truck of the Year, The Ford Maverick Everything you needed, the most innovative truck with forty two miles per down, the best MSRP of its category. Is Time to see Ford in a new light. Go to your Southern California at four dealers today. All right, it's a busy weekend out of Santa Anita. Time now to pick the ponies. As we select a race out of Santa Anita, David and I go head to head to see who could have the most wins at the end of the spring season. David, We're looking at tomorrow's fourth race at Santa Anita, currently an eight horse race.
Speaker 4: Who do you like?
Speaker 5: Wow? I mean, these are great names of courses right here. I'm going with libel Proof, the number two horse.
Speaker 4: Libel Proof, the number two horse.
Speaker 6: I'll go with the six horse, Pocket Venus, Pocket, Venus, the six horse. Good luck to you, David. Don't forget Dodger fans. Senna Nina. What a spot to be at Friday, Saturday and Sunday all weekend long admission parking in a program on the weekends ten dollars every Friday is free. Explore the experiences of the great race Place Santa Anita dot com. Slash events all right, coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup.
Speaker 4: We're right here for the Bulldog Oral Hersheiser.
Speaker 6: Charlie Steiner joins us. But I'm next for Dodgers magical moment. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kases, a back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Giants show Hey Otani and Tyler Mally the pitching matchup Game two of this three game set.
Speaker 4: First pitch coming up at six forty five.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 8: Hot Dog, who wants a hot co?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfe Magical Moment. Pitch Magical presented by Hawby Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: Well we go back to August thirty, first night, teen fifty nine. The LA Memorial Coliseum was the site. It was the Dodgers in the Giants, a day which Sandy Kofax was marvelous on the mound. It was tied to two in the bottom of the ninth inning when Wally Moon hit a three run home run in the bottom of the ninth to give the Dodgers a five to two victory. A walk off win for the Dodgers, but that day belonged to Sandy.
Speaker 2: Sandy now is one strike away from tying Bob Feller's record. This crowd just ready to lift the coliseum. The one and two pitch fastball got him swinging. Boy, I never thought i'd see it. I never thought i'd see a man strike out eighteen major league players in a game, and Sandy Kofax did it.
Speaker 6: Every Giant starting player struck out at least once. Kofax struck out the side three times. The Great Vince Scully on the calls, Andy Kofax struck out eighteen batters, one more than the Cardinals. Dizzy Dean did it nineteen thirty three, setting a nationallygue record, and he tied Bob Feller with the eighteen strikeouts on that August afternoon at the La Memorial Coliseum. Eighteen punch outs for Sandy Kofax.
Speaker 4: What a day.
Speaker 6: This Hoffey magical moment brought to you by Haffey hot Dogs Hoffey Soakos, local treasure for nearly one hundred years. Haffy hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Charlie Steiner, so lead you up to first pitch Dodgers and Giants.
Speaker 4: I'm Tim kateson the back to back World.
Speaker 6: Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 6: Law Dodgers Giants showing Otani Tyler Mally the pitching matchup. Time now for the Verizon startup. As we are forty minutes away from the start of the game. Now very and you can lock at your low price for three years, so you can save big. Visit the Verizon store today. Let's haend things off to Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 11: All right, Tim Dodgers Game two of the series with the Giants in San Francisco. After losing last night three to one, being held a one run, three hits, they walk seven times. San Diego and the Dodgers now tied for first place in the National League West. Dodgers seven and four on the road, looking to write their ship tonight against the Giants who are ten and thirteen, finding the selves in fourth place. The story around tonight's game, whether it's pitching or hitting, revolves around that Otani fellow.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, it does. And in the same breath that you're talking about the same guy, two different categories. We'll see how it works out tonight. Otani. Interesting numbers. And if you're really into the numbers themselves, how about an anemic batting average against you just one thirteen. Here's another number I found earlier today when he had two strikes on hitters. They're just one for thirty five. I'll do the math for you. That's an twenty nine batting average. Again, so it's imperative if he can get ahead in counts, and he's done a lot with that fastball, because the fastball on top of it has been hit at one twenty nine batting average. The numbers, that's one thing we're talking about, the numbers from a pitching standpoint, and then as you alluded to the numbers as a hitter, I mean, you just don't dare take your eyes off of show.
Speaker 11: Hey O, Tony, Well, you got that seventh inning single last night, extending the on base streak to fifty three games, all tied up with Sean Green, who had the fifty three games streak back in two thousand. Next on the Dodger list is Duke Snyder, who had a fifty eight game on base streak back in nineteen fifty four. There are one of five with fifty three consecutive games being on base. Well, I'm been including ay Ron Luke Appling is next with fifty four consecutive games in which you got on base. After that, fifty five at a row, Ty Cob, Harry Holman, and Stan Musial. So O, Tommy's in pretty good company pitching and hitting. It's just remarkable to watch him and then see the numbers after what he has done bat in hand or.
Speaker 7: Ball in hand, Yeah, on either side of it. And then he's not too shabby once he's on the bases either. But the Dodgers, talking about on the bases, they have not hit well on this road trip with runners in scoring position, I mean collectively a one eighty average. They've not pitched well with runners in scoring position on this road trip, a three point thirty three batting average against. And I think one of the surprises with the San Francisco Giants, Charlie, is we enter game two of the series what their bullpen has been doing. Their bullpen has been lights out, very low eer very low batting average against. And the Dodgers, quite frankly, they're going to have to play better baseball than they did last night in the opening game of the series.
Speaker 1: Of course, last.
Speaker 11: Night they played coming in late the previous evening from Colorado. Oh, if you're looking for some reason for the fairly lethargic style of play last night.
Speaker 1: That could be it. No excuses.
Speaker 11: Tonight, Tyler Malley is going for the Giants.
Speaker 7: And he's been hit a lot. He's been backing up some bases. First of all, the four seam fastball for twenty three batting average against the breaking ball. He keeps it down. He's had good luck when he's done that, but overall he's given up a three to twenty batting average against and tonight making his fifth start that I just need to get on base and score and score often.
Speaker 11: Let's see if Andy Pie has could turn things around a bit of a slump three for his last sixteen that's a one eighty eight clip. And so he has seen his major league leading batting average plummet to three sixty six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's still in the upper atmosphere on that end of it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: I also found a number on Pies this morning I found very interesting. He has the highest batting average in the National League against the bullpens of other teams is right at five hundred. The third highest is Kyle Tucker, uh and he's right up there on top of it. Sho he Otani, by the way, is fourth highest in hitting against the bullpens. So they hope to get to the bullpen and hopefully they have better success against the Giants bullpen than other teams have in the early goings of the season.
Speaker 11: And that explains in some part why the Dodgers are so good and come from behind wins because they're getting to the bullpens Leyden games and the Dodgers' best hitters have come up best in the clutch.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I would suggest that they not continue to wait around until the sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth inning. Let's put some runs on the board and enjoy the ride a little bit more.
Speaker 11: Dodgers and Giants, Game two of the three game series. It's gonna be Otani in search of his third win of the year and his urn run average of a half a buck against Tyler Mallley Oh to three, and he's got an ERA of seven and a quarter. Two teams wrap it up tomorrow, and then the Dodgers come home a weekend series with the Cubs, and then next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday the Marlins at Dodgers Stadium. Tim lineup's the first pitch coming up in just.
Speaker 4: A bit, all right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by our friends as city a home preparation, precision, and unrelenting commitment to being the best of what they do. That's what makes a champion at City of Hope. That commitment has one focus curing cancer.
Speaker 4: City of Hope.
Speaker 6: Champions of Hope make an appointment today at cityo Hope dot Org. Still to coming on Dodgers on Deck. We'll get a preview this pitching matchup, but I'm to actually go high and tight with Oral Herscheizer Dodgers Giants first pitch of six forty five. I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers and Giants show, Hey, Tony Tyler Mallley. The pitching matchup came two of there's three games that theyll wrap things up tomorrow at twelve forty five. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at Shaky's dot Com.
Speaker 1: David and now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 4: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 5: We're joining right now by a man that knows all about the Dodger Giants rivalry, the nineteen eighty eight Sy Young Award winner World Series MVP, the only man in baseball history to be awarded the NLCSMVP and ALCS MVP, and one of those few Dodgers that did wear the orange and black for a short time. That's the one and only Oral Herdscheizer Bulldog. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to be in San Francisco with you.
Speaker 12: It's amazing and you saying that I was on both sides of this equation. My current business partner, Eddie Alizade, had a poster of me in his bedroom and when I became a Giant, he tore it down and ripped it up. Still friends with them and still business partners.
Speaker 5: What was the reception here when you did come to the Giants late in your career.
Speaker 12: Well, there were reasons that I chose the Mets, the Giants, and the Cleveland Indians at the time now the Guardians, but chose Cleveland because I wanted to be a better baseball person when I retired, and I wanted to experience American League baseball and they were a team that was scoring about seven runs a game, and I'm like, I think I can pitch that well, so I could win some games over there. Then I chose the Mets because I thought the New York met fans would hold me accountable. Because of the city of New York. I wanted everything we did against them in eighty eight, and I wanted to live in New York. I think it's one of the greatest cities in the world, and I wanted my kids and family to be exposed to that.
Speaker 8: I chose San Francisco for.
Speaker 12: The same reason, another great city in the United States. I knew the fans would hold me accountable. They had a chance. We lost in Game one, sixty three to the Cubs that year, and the Mets we made it to the playoffs.
Speaker 8: The Indians, we.
Speaker 12: Were in the playoffs all three years I was there, ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven. So it was about winning and getting in the right experience and having a fan base that would hold me accountable. And my body gave out before I turned forty two that I could not continue to pitch, and my last stop was going to be the Chicago Cubs. Live in a brownstone and walk to work.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 12: But it didn't work out, But not all free agents picked places just because they get paid a lot or just I actually had a plan for my life in that part, and it wasn't about the money at all.
Speaker 5: What about the post playing equation, You were a coach, you were part of a front office. Did you want to experience what it was like and how it was done in other organizations.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: When I was a player, early on, I noticed what was going on with people in the front office, in management, in broad with broadcasters, and really was always.
Speaker 8: A one way street.
Speaker 12: When you left the field, you weren't really allowed to come back. But then there were executives and managers that started to go to broadcasting and they were able to come back to managing. There were executives that went to broadcasting and went back to being a manager, so all of a sudden, it became a two way street. So I felt like I need to have a full education of baseball, and the only part of baseball that I hadn't experienced was the front office. So the first thing I did was when I signed with the Cleveland Indians. Back then, as far as an executive, it was associate general manager like we see Chase Sutley doing and other guys. So I wanted to learn the front office and what was going on from naming rights and uniform designs and scheduling and free agent signings and scouting. I wanted to be involved in all those meetings. So when I went to John Hart, who was the executive there, I said, John, all I want. I'm not worried about salary. I'm not worried about how much I work. All I want is to be able to be in any meeting possible. I want to be in all meetings and not get kicked out because I just want the education. And so I did that for a while, and then I became the Texas Ranger pitching coach because we fired our pitching coach and I told them that the only way I'll become the pitching coach is if you still let me in any meeting so that I can continue to learn.
Speaker 8: So it was a baseball education that I was.
Speaker 12: After, and you know, it led me to ESPN. It led me to the Dodgers, and I'm just glad when I look out on the field that I know how the whole industry works.
Speaker 5: Speaking of ESPN, Oral hersha As it was part of a very special Jackie Robinson broadcast last week with Joe Buck and Ron Darling. What was that experience like working with Joe Buck for the first time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, Joe's going into the Hall of Fame and it's kind of about time. Ron Darling has always been a guy that I've never turned the volume down on my TV. I want to hear what he has to say. I learned from Ron all the time, so I was excited to be in that booth. I was even more excited that it was Jackie Robinson Day. And it was hard to say this on the air during the game because baseball is a joyous occasion.
Speaker 8: It's a distraction for people to watch and enjoy and come home from work and see it.
Speaker 12: But the thing I wanted people to remember about Jackie Robinson Day was all the hard things that he went through and how he handled it so well, and how Rachel handled it so well, and some of.
Speaker 8: His teammates handled it so well.
Speaker 12: So that you know, we don't we celebrate him and we remember him, and we've retired the number and they get to wear it all on that day.
Speaker 8: But the work and the pain and the suffering that he went through.
Speaker 12: It's hard to tell people about that that that respect and that level of admiration that we should have for this man that paid, you know, not the ultimate price, but I would say he probably died early because of all that stress that.
Speaker 8: He went through and the family went through.
Speaker 12: So being a Dodger, being part of Jackie Robinson Day on the ESPN broadcast, it was an honor. But the thing that I can say in this pregame show to you and to all everybody out there, is that we need to remember Jackie for the price that he paid and all the work that he put in.
Speaker 5: Well said, and how about this Jackie Robinson, the ultimate dodger. When he was treated to the Giants, he decided to retire rather than play for the Giants.
Speaker 8: Oh now, you really put me in a bad foo. I should have never.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you retire?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 12: Oh my god, I should have never went to Peter McGowan's house for dinner and got convinced to be a giant. But uh, you know what, San Francisco is a great place. It's a great organization. I know they've been on some dry times, but I love the fact that we have a rivalry. The Northern and Southern California rivalry, and it will be good for the Dodgers and good for the Nation League West, and good for baseball as the Giants get better, because we want that intense brotherly love, kind of brotherly hate, brotherly everything. I say that at some time there used to be this brother this brother relationship used to.
Speaker 8: Be more physical, let's say.
Speaker 12: And now it's just kind of you go over to your brother's room, you knock on the door and say, turn the music down.
Speaker 1: What an analogy.
Speaker 5: That's a good one.
Speaker 8: You used to fight your brother.
Speaker 12: Now in this generation, we just asked them to turn the music down.
Speaker 5: Before I let you go. So many images that flash through my mind when you talk about Dodgers, Giants and your teams at Candlestick Park. What was it like for you to pitch at that ballpark? Because it feels like the Dodgers and Giants in this beautiful ballpark they built here are living a way better life than you guys did.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 12: I loved Candlestick Park because I loved playing the wind. It was another element where you could win the game. And so if the wind was off my left cheek, there were other certain pitches that would do certain things. If it was off my right cheek, there were certain pitches that would do certain things. I would rather throw a hanging curveball and have Matt Williams hit it into the wind than to throw my best pitch ever low and away and now he hits it to right center where the wind was gusting out. I always followed the hot dog rappers. I always talked to my infielders and outfielders about the wind, and I always looked at that place as a place that even though it was cold and it was rainy sometimes and it was you know, windy, those elements made it a next level for somebody who wanted to think on how to win the game, and those kind of elements.
Speaker 8: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: I've never heard any pitcher say those things to their strategy. As far as the wind coming on one side face to the other, that's just who oral herscheiser was.
Speaker 12: Well, if it's coming off my right cheek, it would accentuate my curveball and make the break bigger. And if it was coming off my right chick with my sinker, it would make it go more straight down. And it was coming off my left cheek, it would make my sinker flatter because it wouldn't have.
Speaker 8: Any wind to bite against.
Speaker 12: But it would also then make my curveball go more straight down, so it would change the.
Speaker 8: Pattern of the pitches. And in doing that, then you apply that to the hitter.
Speaker 12: Then you apply that to the wind direction in the outfield and what field do I want him to hit it to the left side of the right side, and you got a better chance of getting them out?
Speaker 5: All right, Here's the one question every Dodger fan wants to know. What was it like facing Will Clark? Was he a tough guy for you to face?
Speaker 8: He was, But that's where I loved using the wind.
Speaker 12: I mean, they were a tougher team to pitch to in Dodger Stadium because they had some great.
Speaker 8: Hitters that could spray the ball over the field.
Speaker 12: Like Will, he could pull the ball for power, he could go the opposite field of power. But when you're in Candlestick and the wind's blowing, I forced him to hit it into the wind.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot for the time and man Oral Herscheizer and David Vase and San Francisco. I never would have thought that when I was ten years old, but certainly a treat always to share you with everybody orl and you know how much you mean to all of us in Los Angeles and to this franchise, and you're a treasure.
Speaker 12: This is so much fun to continue to live my dream and to be this close. The only frustration for me is that the arm and the body wore out. I wish I could go out there. It's not even close about the salaries, but these facilities and all the things that they get to walk onto this field. It's like walking on heaven on earth if you love baseball.
Speaker 8: No doubt.
Speaker 5: And Oral Hrscheizer will be on the call tonight with Joe Davis on Sports Net LA.
Speaker 8: Thanks Oral, you got it.
Speaker 5: David there he is the Bulldog and you'll receive a gift card to Capitol Grill. Don't forget Mother's Day is coming up fast. You better plan ahead. Capitol Grill is open all day with special brunch from ten to two. Be sure to make your reservation early. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 4: All right, Thanks a lot.
Speaker 6: DV As a Dodger get ready to take on the Giants, Game two of the three game series from the Bay Show. Hey Otani on the Mountain getting warmed up. Dodgers wearing their new blue tops on the road with the great pants. Looking forward to that tonight looking sharp. Dodgers Baseball fought to you by Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium. Visit uniclode dot com slash us coming up, will dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 4: Do not go anywhere.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kase's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Giants on this Wednesday night, first pitch in San Francisco, coming up six forty five.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dineck, we look at the pitching matches.
Speaker 4: Brought to you by her Toyota Dealers. We make it easy.
Speaker 6: Tyler Mallley on the mount Owen three seven to twenty three er right, the pride of Westminster High School. Ten season in the Big Leagues, making his fifth start this year. The thirty one year old fastball, split finger cutter slider. He's prone to give up the home run. In fact, the four seam fastball has not been very good for him this year, it's caused the issues as opponents are hitting four to twenty three against him, with six extra base hits, including four home runs. Last time out, four innings, eight runs, eight hits, four home runs, five walks, and a loss of the Reds. Facing the Dodgers for the eighth time in his career, he's two and three with a three seventy two ERA. The last time he faced the Dodgers actually pretty good last year with the Rangers. Seven shutout innings, two hits, four strikeouts in a no decision. Show hey O tany on the Mountain two and zero with his sub one ERA. The thirty one year old right hander making his four start last time out, six innings, one run, two hits, ten strikeouts in a win over the Mets. He has faced the Giants three times in his career sub one ERA, he has given up ten hits while recording eighteen strikeouts. He last faced in July of last season, three scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out four.
Speaker 4: Show hey O.
Speaker 6: Tony Tyler Mallley Dodgers Giants were fifteen minutes away from first pitch from Oracle Park in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: He's to the game, are next?
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kateson is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Wrong Tho, Casino Dodgers on, Tap on your home for the Blue all.
Speaker 6: Season long, Dodgers Giants Show. Hey, oh Tony Tyler Mallley the pitching matchup. Getting ready for the start of the game with the Supporo starts a great moments start with Saporo Beer. Whatever your taste preference, so Poro has you covered with a variety crisp and refreshing loggers, including light and non alcoholic beers. Soporo good with sushi, Great with baseball. Back out to the booths, Steven Nelson, Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Tim Sun shining down on Oracle Park. Getting ready for Game two. This three game set for the Dodgers and Giants in the Dodgers mole have some company atop the division. The San Diego Padres have pulled even in the standings at sixteen and seven. It is only April. It is way too early to start kind of dwelling on any other team or doing the standings watch. But the fact of the matter is that the Dodgers got to pick it up here as they've kind of been slow out of the gates in this road.
Speaker 7: Yeah, take care of your own backyard. The Dodgers the last ten or four and andres are nine and one. And there's some surprises maybe around Major League Baseball and the national lead to begin with, and especially I think in the Central where the Reds have a one game lead, only a one game lead over the Comes, and I think a little surprising is that the Brewers are technically in third place in that Central Division, and lo and behold, the New York Mets are attempting to snap a twelve game losing streak right in front of them. The Philadelphia Phillies have been a big disappointment. They've lost seven in a row and they're fourth in the Eastern Division.
Speaker 3: And just another example this early start of the season that just when you think you got baseball in the league figured out, the game has something else totally in mind. For tonight's game between the Dodgers and Giants, moll, give me a key, give me a player to watch. What's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm going to be watching show hey Otani on both sides. First of all, he'll lead off the Dodgers in the top of the first ending and then the bottle first. He's going to lead them off again. He's on the mound and the designated hitter. And when Otani takes the mound, keep in mind he's allowed just a one thirteen batting average against him, and when he's had two strikes on hitters, they're just one for thirty five. Get ahead early and take advantage.
Speaker 3: The on Bay streak for old TONI at fifty three games entering Tuesday that his tide was shown green for the second longest in franchise history. He is five games from matching Duke Snyder's franchise record of fifty eight consecutive games, though Green and Snyder had their streaks in the same season. Mo, if you were an official record keeper, I got to ask, would you start streaks over once a new year begins?
Speaker 7: Well, streaks? How much of that? As a mindset on top of it? I would you like to be the Mets and before you take the field, Hey, you guys have lost twelve in a roero. Yeah, like they don't know that ahead of time, right, It's like, get out of here. Here's the other thing with shoe heyo, TONI to look for, and that's the fastball. He averages ninety seven point four have opponents done against the fastball? How about a one twenty nine batting average?
Speaker 3: That sounds pretty good. And he's facing a Giant lineup that has struggled for most of this twenty twenty six season. It's the Dodgers and Giants and it's a beautiful night.
Speaker 1: At the ballpark.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in just a few moments.
Speaker 1: Tim with the first pitch.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, guys. Don't forget when this game is over.
Speaker 6: David Mass has got you cover with all the postgame festivities, the highlights, the reaction from the clubhouse, and of course Dodger talk as well. Dodgers starting the night tied for first with the San Diego Padres atop the NL West, looking to get back on track and doing double duty. Show Hey Otani on the mount as the pitcher and the designated hitter.
Speaker 4: First pitch is next, enjoyed everybody. I'm Tim Katson. This has been Moronggo Casino
Speaker 6: Dodgers on deck on your back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network