Speaker 1: Join the Power Trips twenty fifth Birthday Bash at Treasure Island over November fifth and sixth Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: Comedy show has.
Speaker 1: Reached capacity, but the wait list is still open. Make sure they've listened to the Power Trip for chances to win your way in. Then be there Friday morning with no registration needed for a big old live broadcast and in Vegas trip up for grabs details at KFA dot com Slash two five.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. Ben Leber's here, Tanny Elson is here. Oh yeah, yeah, it's all happening.
Speaker 2: You guys know, like how good Cheryls was, Like how strong he was. I've told you that.
Speaker 3: Marcus Cheryls were talking about who's coming in here a little bit later today.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, like Eddie, how strong he was freak really freak athlete.
Speaker 5: Like I know he's a freak athlete. But like you're talking twit your strength. Yeah, yeah, I know all that, but you're you're saying.
Speaker 2: Strangling guy really yeah? Yeah? Him and Brock Maurine. You guys remember what I could see Brockfarene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marcus and Marcus had like a forty two inch vert.
Speaker 2: Ask him all about it. No, no, I knew he was explosive.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that he was sure, sure, sure, sure, ask him about it.
Speaker 4: And then he has a place called chip Shot or no, maybe chip Shots. He owns his place down in Rochester and it bangs.
Speaker 2: It has like golf.
Speaker 4: Stimulators that ets he owns one of those, all of them.
Speaker 2: Nast You see Zach's text. No, no, it's maybe your favorite text of all time, say less, Zach.
Speaker 3: Why did I say we should take our shirts off in fresh I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Five numbers get closer. Yeah, he just told us to get closer to the camp for the camera frame.
Speaker 1: Tommy, you know, the previous text in our group chat between the three of us was was Tommy saying, sounding great gang on March twenty seven, twenty nineteen, Wednesday, but for power trip Vegas, when you guys were all on the flight and it was just Ben and I for much of that morning.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's what that was about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty nineteen, man, that seems like a million years, eighty years ago. So yeah, Marcus Cheryl's coming in a little bit, and we have a WILLIAMS. Wallach here at bottom of the hour, so we'll get some news real quick and just tell you what's going on in the world. But we won't spend too much time on because most of those the news is not good.
Speaker 1: Yes, a fan news with Chris Hockey, presented by the Saint Paul Saint.
Speaker 3: You know I love the Saint Paul Saints, and you know they played the best baseball at the best stadium in town and they will be back real soon. Get your tickets at Saints baseball dot com. The seventeenth, they played Louisville at chs Field. So go Saint Paul Saints. Here's what's going on in our little world.
Speaker 2: Ben, what's that?
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about it earlier, but the passing of Bonnie Tyler totally clips at the heart seventy five years old, which she passed away rest in peace. A new study provides sobering information on the impact of head trauma on NFL players. I don't know if you've seen new information or not, but this is brand new. According to Tammy Trio.
Speaker 6: Researchers at Boston University and Mass General Brigham say professional players are four times more likely to die of a neurodegenerative disease than the general population. Among the nearly twenty thousand former NFL players studied the length of their career played a role. Those with five plus seasons doubled the risk of contracting als, Parkinson's disease or dementia. I'm Tammy Trihio.
Speaker 3: Are you guys contacted about this stuff from time to time? Do they as that not something that the NFL reaches out to you guys about? He anybody the union? Does anybody reach out to you about this stuff.
Speaker 2: About being a part of the research.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm well, okay, kind kind of okay. Yeah, I don't really know how much the I don't know how much the information is shared.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So we have a really like a great program for all the retired NFL players that you can go to I don't know, call it seven or eight major hospital systems, unfortunately Mayo's not one of them, and you can get your brain body They call it the Brain Body Assessment.
Speaker 2: I think that's what they officially call it.
Speaker 5: And it's basically like the Mayo Executive Physical really and they do it for free and they.
Speaker 2: Put you up. It was sweet. I went down to two lane. Oh my god, it was awesome. So you're supposed to watch every five years or something like that.
Speaker 5: Anyway, they go through the whole battery of tests, plus all these brain scans, plus all this cognitive testing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of exhausting.
Speaker 5: It's like it's two and a half full days, three days of testing, and you are mentally exhausted because you're going through all the cases. The thing is, I don't know if they share that, you know, like if they I mean, it would be fine with me. I suppose if it was privately shared with the research group. But they said like, hey, you know, if I'm not like a name, I'm just a number, and it's like here's you know, reference number, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: These are his test scores. This is what you have. I mean, it's.
Speaker 5: Possible they do that, but I don't think I've ever been directly asked to be a part of like a brain study.
Speaker 3: Interesting, there you go.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess they're they're continued to keep an eye out, and that's a good thing, right, we need Well, the.
Speaker 5: Thing is like I want to know, I guess I want to do. I want to drill down even further into I wish they would tell us what are the key factors for that? Is it just head trauma? Is it just repeated head blows? Or is it lifestyle?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right right.
Speaker 5: You know, because there was there was a there was a a theory back in the day that these guys that would have brain issues and just overall health issues and a lot of a lot to do with the brain. Steroids were involved, street drugs were involved, you know, along with along with repeated head blows. Like, is it just one thing or is it a combination of a lot of lifestyle choices? Because you know now that we know what we know now about concussions and recovery is completely different than it was thirty forty years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what is it? Is it just one thing or all of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good questions. I don't know. We'll keep an eye on. If I know more, I'll that, you know, I promise. Also in the news today, well there's seventy five different things. But this is an interesting thing and something I've never heard of before. Have you guys ever heard of transient global amnesia?
Speaker 2: No? No, either.
Speaker 3: But Katie Kirk has a journalist, Katie Kirk, is opening up about a health scare She experienced last month, known as transient global amnesia.
Speaker 8: Cork detailed the incident where she lost her memory in a sub stack post titled A day I'll never remember what began as a regular day and asked been turned into a medical mystery after she was taken to the hospital with no recollection of basic questions such as the year or who the president is. Doctors initially began a stroke protocol, but after a clean MRI and some tests ruled that out, the journalist was diagnosed with transient global amnesia. According to the Cleveland Clinic TG, it is a rare medical condition in which you experienced a sudden episode of memory loss, but it typically resolves on its own. I'm Mark Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Weird, very weird. Strange. Yeah, it's so strange.
Speaker 3: Never heard of that. No, No, I've had a stroke protocol.
Speaker 1: Causes and the triggers include sudden immersion in cold or hot water and sexual intercourse.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't know what Katie was doing.
Speaker 3: I mean, because I'll tell you what, man, I've done just two of those cold water immersion things, like what do you call those?
Speaker 2: Cold plunge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, cold plunge. I ain't doing another one. Again. I almost lost my penis alone, my memory, you know, I mean, like, oh my gosh, all the way up in there. Man, I'll tell you what. Yeah, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 2: Apparently it's good for your test.
Speaker 3: That's what they tell me.
Speaker 2: That's very good.
Speaker 3: For one second, hold on, yeah, it's before practice.
Speaker 4: We'd go get a bag of ice and we just we'd sit.
Speaker 2: On put you put your balls.
Speaker 4: Why why because it's booster test before practice.
Speaker 2: Like that's what we did. I know that, honey, we did. It was great.
Speaker 4: Nick rolis now the defensive coordinator for.
Speaker 2: The I don't know if you wants.
Speaker 9: Yeah. And then but that ice tubs.
Speaker 4: We used to have more testoster in practice because you want to just get you know, get.
Speaker 2: Between two days.
Speaker 4: We were telling you about that because we would take ice plasts all the time.
Speaker 2: And before we.
Speaker 4: Got like the new facilities, we used to get like horse troughs, like big old like how they give water to horses.
Speaker 2: We fill those up with ice.
Speaker 4: And Matt Carrafell made this tradition that all the old linemen had to bite the filters off SIGs and.
Speaker 10: Smoke SIGs and train for because we were dirt manna smokes can't. You can't say it, so it could be tough. You would smoke smoke, field filters.
Speaker 2: Off, spit them off, throw a big old.
Speaker 4: Chewing and then throw a singing and the god this is right, goes my God.
Speaker 3: A couple of things. We gotta go to break Number one. Number two, Marcus Schers is here, Max, would you go down getting place?
Speaker 11: Sure?
Speaker 3: Number three? We have williams Watach at the bottom of this hour, so will be a short sports segment coming up here in this a moment. We'll talk Nascar with William and we have Marcus, Cheryl's and Tommy and Benner here. So there's a million things going on.
Speaker 2: I have to go to work.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, just tell me your.
Speaker 2: Now Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Why you're sweat your guy when your.
Speaker 2: Big Papa pump. Nowadays you'll be fighting for jersey.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm in there.
Speaker 2: You're a sweat guy.
Speaker 3: I don't mind.
Speaker 2: I'll take you're a guarantee.
Speaker 3: I am all right. I love you, Tommy, Bye, buddy. Hey, it's Chris Hockey, the pouch of Morning show. It's a big old country out there and you want to see it. Did you know that Jefferson Lines has been your number one bus experience for over.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: Right, it's all happening. Tommy's on his way out, Marcus Cheryl's just walked in, and I'm hearing that our guest, buddy, see you, tell me love everybody, see you later. I'm hearing that our guest, our NASCAR friend, williams so Watach is already there with us right now. So a lot's going on. We'll bring in Marcus Cheryl's in a moment. But William, Sir Watach, how are you, my friend?
Speaker 9: Good to see you.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the party at morning show. Ben Leber's here, cast a thousands, we're all here and uh glad to have be honest always thinking. So our friends, it's Starky, and don't forget to go to starky dot com and you can get a free hearing tist on there and find out more about all their great ways to make your life better and make your hearing better as well. William, we're gonna get right to the point. I watched you marching down Pitt Lane. I wasn't sure if you were gonna go fight somebody or what, but I know you had some words with your teammate after he spun you into the infield. You had to go to the infield care center. Looks like you're one hundred percent fine. Tell me about what happened, and tell me about your conversation with Brent Cruz on pit row.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, we had a really good race and a really good car.
Speaker 12: Within the race, we had to go to the back from a pit stop penalty in the second stage, and we made it all the way back to fifth middle of the third stage, so I would say we had a car capable of at least the top three or maybe winning, So that was a good shot to get some points back. And then just had an incident with the a teammate and you know, kind of a racing incident, and it just was the worst time for that to happen, you know, because of our situation. So now we're a little farther out of the playoffs, so we got some good work to do coming up with the next four races.
Speaker 9: But yeah, obviously had a conversation with him.
Speaker 12: After the race, and we had meetings about it on Monday, and so it's all smoothed over and we should.
Speaker 2: Be ready to rip.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Ben, did you hear that after the races over they get back to the shop and they're teammates, so they got everybody got pulled them together, make sure everything's okay. I'm looking at the incident on my screen right now, Ben, if you want to turn around. Look, he just got into the left rear quarter panel of you, right below the the unreal signature there, and just just tapped you a little bit. Was it a rookie mistake on his part? Is that what you would say?
Speaker 9: I mean, he is a rookie, but he knows how to drive these cars very well. You know.
Speaker 12: So when you get close to somebody's rear bumper, it's called packing air, so you take air off the rear spoiler, so that's less rear down force, so you lose the.
Speaker 9: Rear of the car. And that was happening.
Speaker 12: So I had to, you know, get out of the throttle a little bit to try and save it. And then you know, obviously once he taps you in your sideways, it's kind of kind of over. So that's exactly what happened. It all happened, you know, pretty fast, and expect that he was a little better than me on that restart, and I think he could have passed me cleanly. But unfortunately I got together.
Speaker 3: It is interesting because and I we'll move away from this in a second, but Ben, you saw you started to lose the rear end a bit because he was, as you just said, affecting the air on your race car because he was so close to you. So even before he tapped, you were already getting squarely Because.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, I know, airs crucial, especially on the my and a half tracks where we're going super fast and you know we're not drafting there. Technically you can kind of get a little bit of a pull on a straight away, but the air is more effective in the corner. It's we call it dirty air. So you want to stay out of somebody somebody's wake. The guy who's in front of you, you want to stay out of his wake that he punches through the air at you.
Speaker 2: Always good to talk to you again.
Speaker 5: I am curious about this though I know that you don't have to get into like the personal things that happen with teammates, but I am curious just from a setup standpoint. You have two cars, same team, two different drivers.
Speaker 2: Is it how.
Speaker 5: Different are the cars on race day because you have the same engine, the same manufacturer. I'm sure the same kit setup, but you guys probably have different preferences and maybe how you drive, so like how much different are the cars that you're driving versus your teammate.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So going to a newer track like Chicago Land this year, it's not new. Last time we race it was twenty nineteen, but it's new ish for all the rule updates and new packages for the cars that NASCAR put out. You know, based off of sim drivers, all four of us probably, that was probably the most different race we were at. Setup wise, where else that we've been to, like three four years in a row. We're all pretty close. We all share notes. Everybody can see what everybody's running.
Speaker 9: At that point.
Speaker 12: It is down to driver preference and you know, crew chief preference and your sim model that you run, so you know, if the sim is running a little bit tight, which is not turning well with the front tires, you can probably get a little behind and you know, unload at the racetrack and practice a little loose because it's not right. So you have to make sure that's right before you go to the track because we don't get practice, so we have to use a simulator and all that simular time can sometimes not.
Speaker 9: Be worth it if the tire's not skilled.
Speaker 2: Right, So quick follow up to that.
Speaker 5: So, I'm assuming you guys have two individual separate spotters for you and your teammate. But is it the same crew chief that is communicating with both of you guys or you guys have separate crew chiefs that are giving you different opinions and options during the race.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no separate crew chiefs.
Speaker 12: So four separate crew chiefs, four separate spotters for all four drivers within jg R. Yeah, so that gives each driver a different strategy and you know, two tires, four tires, whatever you want.
Speaker 9: Pit, don't pit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so that, you know, it makes it interesting, and each crew chief kind of has their own style and strategy of what they like to do in a race.
Speaker 1: I didn go go ahead, I'm sorry you mentioned the you know, the bad timing obviously for that rec because of the well, the new chase. I guess when I even calling that playoffs anymore? That situation, where where are you standing there? And what are the next couple of weeks look like as the regular season winds up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think so we're thirteenth, top twelve, make it in from the end of the year, So we're right there.
Speaker 9: I think we're there forty ish points out.
Speaker 12: Going into that race, we were maybe twenty points out, and you know, if we got a top five there, we're probably going to be ten fifteen points out.
Speaker 9: So we were gaining on it.
Speaker 12: So now these next few weeks are gonna be really important trying to get stage points. You know, obviously good finishes and you know, the people that we are racing in the chase, which just so happens to be my teammate, you know, it really depends on how their week goes as well.
Speaker 3: There you go again, Williams Wallach's Starky Racing and Joe Gibbs Racing. As you head into racing, where are you guys going this weekend? What's the track like and how do you feel about going into this last race before the chase.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so we're going to Atlanta this weekend. It's a mile and a half track.
Speaker 12: Our motors are going to be restricted, so we're gonna be drafting there. It's basically like Daytona on steroids, just because it's smaller. Everything happens twice as fast. It's actually really good racing. It's probably some of the best racing on the calendar. But you know we've been decent there. We can be better. We spend a lot of time with the simulator trying to prepare for this race. And yeah, so I think we're gonna go capitalize on what we can.
Speaker 3: Go get him. Man, we appreciate it. William so Waltach again is our guest Starkey dot Com. Go in there, get a free hearing test, find out how they can help you even more with your hearing. Also get to know william S Walach O'Reilly Racing series in NASCAR and as we follow your career, Man, it's been a lot of fun. Thank you for letting us in on this. We believe in you. You're gonna make the chase. This is another win for you this weekend. The first Minnesota native to ever win NASCAR race. Williams so waltch You're gonna get your second one this weekend. Thank you, dude, Thank you guys. Absolutely Man that that must be awkward to walk into the walk into the office on Monday. And the guy who spun you out who by the way he said it there. But in case you missed it, the guy who's in twelve in points is the guy who spun him last week, who's also his teammate. So him being not in the in the chase this starting next week could be because of that spin because his teammate did make that's gotta be tough. Yeah, yeah, that's tough, Marcus. Shealls, what's up?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, thanks for having me in. I appreciate it.
Speaker 13: It's so good to see you against Forever House. Things pretty good. Yeah, I'm still living in Minnesota. I'm staying busy, playing a lot of pickleball, learning how to golf, and just living life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's me. I'm going to ask you to do.
Speaker 5: Can you get a little closer to me because you know we have to get ready for that.
Speaker 3: We have to be at your camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be shoulder to shoulder. I don't have to smell your breath, but yeah, we got to be a little closer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, teammates, right, you got to.
Speaker 5: He's crazy though, that like we So I was looking back and I'm like, I know that we crossed over, but I think it was only the one year, only twenty ten. Yeah, and was that just a was that a practice squad year for you?
Speaker 13: It was that I got called up the very last game of this season. Yeah, kind of as a Christmas.
Speaker 3: Reward, right right. Listen, we're very excited to have you here, Marcus. We're gonna break and come back and get things started. But before we do, during this break, would you do me a favorite. I know Tommy likes to set his chair all the way down on the floor, but it makes you look like Ben as a grown up.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna have you raise your chair as well during this break. But man, thank you for coming. We're gonna talk about chip Shots, are we right? That's your spot? Is that your spot there in Rochester? Chip Shots?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 7: Yep, that's the name of it.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that and so much more so. Ben Leeber, Marcus Cheryls are here and the regular cast of thousands will break and come right back. It's about you Morning Show on the Fan from the one eight hundred ask Gary Traffic Center.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Speedway.
Speaker 11: Good Morning.
Speaker 2: We have delays on.
Speaker 1: Fifteen Snopecoop Dot coming to town September fifth, Ron White October seventeenth. Get the complete details on all of our upcoming shows on the concert page A Caffe and Dot Concord calendar.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Zacho And by the way, watching right now on the chat on kven dot com slash Watch and somebody just asked anybody else heading the DL for the show tomorrow?
Speaker 2: We are, Yes, we are.
Speaker 3: So we're bringing Max. So can't wait for that. Looking forward to that. Zach will be there, Max will be there, I'll be there, Saucy will be there, Mark Parrish will be there, and we will have one lovely listener and the audience get to play the initials Major tomorrow, which, because Corey is still playing poker, Zacho is going to be the man in charge tomorrow. So a million reasons to be there tomorrow at the Hockey Arena in Detroit Lakes for a live broadcast.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, call the game there before. Well that's a sweet second broadcast. That's nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They're redoing the place where we normally broadcast from Plion. This one's been I can't remember. Do you ever go to Detroit Lakes with us?
Speaker 2: I did? I did one time. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So they're redoing that pavilion and it's the water carnival weekend, always a big thing, so we're excited about I had to shoffle some things around because apparently Corey can play poker. I didn't believe it, but it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Guys, So what's the update, Zacho.
Speaker 5: You said if he makes it through today he'll be in the money, or if.
Speaker 1: He makes it through the first I think I don't know. Half hour however long it takes to get through the last I guess I looked it up here. Seven players actually remaining now before the money, so speaking out last seven other guys.
Speaker 2: He will make some money today.
Speaker 3: Well, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck.
Speaker 2: I believe in you, Tommy would win.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go there, but yeah, I mean, I feel overwhelmed by all the things I heard during the last two breaks before our friend Marc Scholl's.
Speaker 9: Got here Vik News on the Power Trip presented by Go.
Speaker 3: That Go Sayer. Again, thanks for being here, man, We appreciate it very much.
Speaker 7: No thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 13: I haven't seen a lot of faces in many years, especially Ben, and it's good to see him and everybody else too.
Speaker 3: So of course, Marcus Scholl a former Viking, former Golden Gopher and now has chip shots in Rochester, Minnesota. What you want and we'll talk a little bit about that. I involved in ets performance as well. But I guess let's just start right there.
Speaker 2: Where have you been.
Speaker 3: What's been going on since your last time putting on the purple?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm five years retired now from the NFL.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 13: It's been fun doing one piece, luckily, playing a lot of pickleball, learning how to golf. As I saw you at the charity golf event. My ten nieces, one nephew, keep me busy, which is fun. They're all local, They're all around. Yeah, they're all in sports and activities. So it's like every night of the week if I want to go see him, and it's a lot of fun. But I'm living in inver Grove and just enjoying life, traveling a little bit.
Speaker 5: How's the business life like? You've got to two businesses you're part of. What is What has that been like to sort of like use your brain power not for football but now for for business.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So my first year out was our boys.
Speaker 3: I don't know what just happened.
Speaker 2: I don't go.
Speaker 3: I believe that a gentleman in Fort Wayne. I'll tell you about a little bit later. Yeah, but yeah, I'm sorry you were saying about being a businessman go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So my first year retired from the NFL, it was the COVID year, so it was a little different trying to figure out, navigate life, figure out what I was going to do, got approach multiple opportunities. Adam Thielen and I had always talked about opening and ets in the locker room throughout our years, and then we finally did it. And then this chip shots came came along and we did that as well. So I'm learning a lot ups and downs. Uh, it's a lot of work if you really want to put in. And it's in Rochester, so I commute a lot, which I enjoy. It's an easy drive. But it's been fun learning a lot kind of the different side getting away from athletics.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I find it.
Speaker 5: I find it so fascinating, like the whole business world, at least from where we came from. Because obviously I think you developed the work ethic. I mean, the work ethic is there, and the desire and the drive is there. But like you know, we weren't breaking down financial statements. We were thinking about marketing budgets and like what we're gonna do for marketing and like just running the business, like, I think it's so fascinating that you've gotten into it and you're already successful, which is great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been a lot of fun, a lot of learning.
Speaker 13: I read a lot of books during COVID to kind of learn the business world, especially their restaurant world, which is there's never a break, it's every day, there's so much turnover.
Speaker 2: But it's been fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I'm guessing when you say that chip Shots obviously is a is a pickleball facility, but you have food avail, food and drinks available.
Speaker 13: Yes, so we're a bar, restaurant and golf simulators. We kind of moved away from the pickleball ets actually took over that space, which was nice, kind of win wind for me. We wanted to focus more on golf and other things as pickleball was coming into the community getting kind of oversaturated a little bit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, are you a better golfer than Adam Deeven?
Speaker 7: Not even closing.
Speaker 11: He might be one of the legitimately might be one of the best golfers in the state. Yeah, he's that good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be nice if he came to Detroit Lakes with us, but I'll leave that alone.
Speaker 2: Anything from there.
Speaker 3: That's what I've been told, Marcus, not only obviously golden golfer. You go to the Vikings twenty ten as an undrafted free agent. Just making the squad was a big deal. You did more than that. You stayed with the Vikings through twenty eighteen, then came back in twenty nineteen as well. But it's not just that. Okay, here are the records you hold. Viking single season punt return average at fifteen point two in twenty thirteen, most punt return yards in a game one hundred and nineteen in twenty thirteen, Most punk return touchdowns in a season two in twenty sixteen, most punk return touchdowns in a career five, first Vikings player to have two games of more than one hundred yards in punt returns and most special team touchdowns by any Viking in franchise history, tied with Cordero Patterson and Percy Harvin. Five. It wasn't just that you made the squad. That was a huge feat. You made the squad and then you stuck around and became one of the Viking greats. Do you look back at your career and say, that's what I expected. Are you surprised? By you know what I mean.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I kind of know what you mean. I look back, and it was I loved every second of it. I remember coming into rookie mini camp as a tryout, kind of walk on guy, and my name was spelled wrong on the depth charts. I wasn't even on the punt return list. I had to tell the coach I could catch punts, and that was Murphy back at the time, and he's like, yeah, whatever, go back there. And then I caught a few that day, and then the next day everybody, the whole front office was came out to watch me catch punts, and then they said they were thinking about signing me. And and then ten years later I got ten good years in. Was lucky to have some good coaches and coach Mike Preefer and some really good special teams units because we had a lot of starters who ended up playing special teams and kind of bought in and believed and actually weren't pouting about playing special teams.
Speaker 14: You know, sometimes we're getting seventy five snaps on defense. I don't I don't know, I want to go come this punt.
Speaker 11: Special teams is so unique, Like you guys just said, because a lot of you guys are the best players on your high school teams. You're not playing special teams. But then you get to the pros, you're like, well, I can make a good living doing this, and you took full advantage of it. What is when when you catch a punt, there's so much you have to focus on. You got to track the ball, you gotta catch it, and then you got like ten dudes running full speed at you.
Speaker 2: What makes that such a unique play?
Speaker 13: Like you said, there's so many dynamics to that play, especially as a partner turner. You got to look at win. You gotta look at right foot, left foot punter. You gotta look at which way they're punting, how far they're gonna punt. What's our scheme? Are we doubling the gunners? Am I gonna have more time? Are we trying to block it where it's most likely a fair catch? But just with repetitions, I became comfortable doing it and I and I enjoyed it, and it was my niche and it kept me in the NFL.
Speaker 3: So sweet, Why were you good at it?
Speaker 13: I think me I'm not the biggest guy. I had to raise my chair next to Ben, that's.
Speaker 3: A top.
Speaker 13: But I think quickness was one of my main attributes. Coach Pefer always told me I had to make the first guy missed miss and I and I took pride in that, and I think I was one of the quicker players on our team and in the NFL at that time.
Speaker 3: Four point three seven in the forty that's flying, That is flying. That do you think you still you still run a four three.
Speaker 2: Seven maybe a five three seven?
Speaker 5: Well, and Chris, I'll even say, like you know, to pumpas tires a little bit, like it's speed.
Speaker 2: I think speed on the football fit.
Speaker 5: And just in general, it's more than just the straight line forty, you know, it's it's the short, airy quickness.
Speaker 2: I think that's especially at that position.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of positions that value short, airy quickness more than vertical speed. And that's that's the thing that Marcus had was like to make a guy miss, you have to move laterally in a twitchy fashion that it takes a certain amount of body mechanics. It's it's your eye movement, it's your shoulders, it's your hips. It could be a hip swivel, it could be just like a pure weete with your feet, you know. So it's not so much like hey, I'm going to hit the hole and gast and hit and use my four three speed. It's more of the lateral movement. How well you can move in a three dimensional space. Like that's something that I think that you just had naturally. Like it's it's kind of hard to practice that. You know, you can do your quick foot ladders and you can do your things, but like you just kind of had that knack, you know, like you just and I'm sure that you knew that, right, I mean there was some I know that you you set guys up and you do all this other stuff, but like you just naturally had the short, airy quickness that I think a lot of people envy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think I was gifted from when I was young. I wasn't running anybody over, so I had to kind of get used to making people miss and figure out angles and using my quickness and head bobs and different footwork. And I think that translated over from high school to the college to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well and the other thing. I mean, let's be honest, courage dude.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, there are there are a lot of you know, quote unquote tough football players that that shrivel when they catch a punt or they have to return a kick. I mean, there are a lot of receivers out there, a lot of running backs out there. Maybe less so running backs, but certainly receivers that they think that they can be a returner and they get back there and like, oh hell no, right to the sky and i' and then and I sausage.
Speaker 2: You're laid it out.
Speaker 5: You have ten dudes barreling down and barrel and the two guys on the outside want to take your head off. And those are the fast athletic guys out on the outside. And if they get past those those double teams or those single blocks out.
Speaker 2: There, they want to decleach you.
Speaker 5: And so you have to like catch a clean punt with all of that chaos going on and make a guy miss like that takes some bravery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's not a position that a lot of guys volunteered for. The coaches are usually like go catch punts or whatever. Like some of the best returns. Cordero and Percy weren't big fans of part returns, but they're two of the greatest of all time. At kick returns, right, Yeah, and it's just a different skill set between kick and part return. But yeah, you can always protect yourself with the fair catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I've.
Speaker 7: Definitely taken my licks.
Speaker 13: I remember you guys know TJ Watt, he used to like special teams. This first year, he hit me so hard one time. I was like, oh man, this guy's gonna be good, and now he's like one of.
Speaker 2: The best players.
Speaker 13: Probably that or I got I got hit in the helmet one time and my helmet rolled like fifteen yards.
Speaker 2: I was pretty off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you remember who is He doesn't remember any of.
Speaker 13: It was against the Redskins. I don't remember the gunner's name. Yeah, you got me pretty good.
Speaker 11: On the flip side of that, Marcus, I mean, you obviously have a bunch of career highlights. Is there one particular player that you would say like that's this is my best, Like this is the one that's that sticks with.
Speaker 2: Me for sure.
Speaker 13: It was my first touchdown in the NFL. It was on my birthday at Detroit. Percy had just scored one and then he came up to me, It's like it's your turn now. And then I returned one and that was probably my favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, he was sweet.
Speaker 3: That's again. Our guest is Marcus Cheryl's number thirty five in your heart always in Minnesota Viking Golden Gopher as well. You know one game that sticks out to me and I just looked it up. So I'm not pretending this was off the top of my head, but I do remember the game because it was such a huge thing. You weren't just a punt returner. You weren't just a kick returning obviously, you were a cornerback as well. How about the London game against the was it the Browns I believe or the Steelers? Steeler Steelers that's right, yeah, the Steelers. As I said, I looked it up and now I xed out of it. It wasn't just that you played that day. You had ten tackles, including nine solo tackles in that game. You had to be prepared every week to play cornerback. You weren't just a putt returner. But that game, when you got to show everybody what you could do a cornerback. Did that lengthen your career a lot as well?
Speaker 7: It definitely did.
Speaker 13: I remember, just because we had Antoine Winfield and he wouldn't really practice a whole lot, so I'd get all of those Nickel reps. So that was so good for my game and kind of developing myself. And we had great coaches, Joe Woods. He did a great job with me. But I remember that game was my first start, and I was so nervous the entire week. But and you had to play against Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders. Man, I was like, oh man, but yeah, yeah, but it worked out. It ended up being a fun game and I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: So who was the hardest guy you had to cover?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 13: I remember Garden Calvin Johnson and I'm in my stands.
Speaker 7: His knees were literally at my helmet.
Speaker 9: I look back.
Speaker 7: I'm like, Harrison, we might need some help here.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that is That is the fascinating part of like you forget sometimes I must be just the TV perspective, Like how big some of these guys are, especially in certain positions like hawk. I think you and I were talking in current times right now. Is it Mount Washington the tight end for the Steelers? Dude, Dude, Like, I can't believe that that is a that's not a tackle.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that.
Speaker 5: I can't believe that's not an offensive alignment and he's out there catching passes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I wouldn't want to tackle that guy. Isn't that what everybody says about Cam Newton. He's bigger than you think he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enormously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I remember tackling Cam Wants in my shoulder was completely know and then I had to go catch a pont I'm like, oh, like I'm fair.
Speaker 3: With the other hand again. Now, Marcus Schuls our guests. I had a question from the chat. Somebody wanted to know what is e t S.
Speaker 13: E t s IS is short for angle Bert Training System. So Ryan Engelbert is the one who started it and then kind of Adam Deeling kind of jumped down the HQ team. But it's a sports training facility for ages eight through the professional level, boys and girls, all sports.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's fantastic. My boys have done it. I know Greenways involved as well. Yeah, fantastic facility. Yeah, and kind of a really cool just sort of ethos. You know, the vibe there is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think there's eighty locations.
Speaker 2: Now wow, I don't hang don't quote.
Speaker 13: Me on that, but yeah, it's it's doing really well. We get really good feedback from all the parents in the athletes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's sweet.
Speaker 3: And another question from the chat, how does your body feel after taking hits like that and playing the position, playing for so long and as you mentioned, giving up size to most of the NFL.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my body. I came out pretty unscathed.
Speaker 13: I kind of had a Liz Frank injury that kind of shortened my last that.
Speaker 7: It's a mid foot injury.
Speaker 13: Okay, it hasn't really recovered since and that kind of Yeah, that was kind of the reason I had to hang it up fortunately, but I can still do everything. I still played basketball, pickleball, anything athletic.
Speaker 2: I can still do it.
Speaker 7: Just I just wouldn't be able to play football anymore.
Speaker 2: Did you have surgery on it or No?
Speaker 9: No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Probably the reason why it hasn't healed completely.
Speaker 13: Maybe I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not well.
Speaker 3: You can always do radio, that's what Ben does.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he still looks like he could play, but you don't have to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Liz Frank does not mind either, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Marcus. Can you stick around man, of course? Oh good, I'm so glad again. Marcus Cherrell's been Lieber, max O, ZACHXO. Saucy's over there, I'm here as well. Corey's still playing poker. Will keep you updated on that and Detroit Lake's were coming to see you tomorrow. So all that and more with Marcuschell's after this, Potrick Marshall the.
Speaker 9: Fan, It's time for a fan five on the
Speaker 2: Power one to eight hundred