Speaker 1: Before we look at a look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. This was the day that the British Parliament passed and it went into effect the Stamp Act, prompting stiff resistance from the American colonialist The year was seventeen sixty five, kind of the beginning of the end, a precursor to our Revolutionary War eighteen ninety four. Nicholas the second became Emperor of Russia nineteen thirty six, and a speech in Milan, Italy, Benito Mussolini described the alliance between his country and Nazi Germany as an axis running between Rome and Berlin. Two years later, on this date, a two horse match Sea Biscuit defeated the favored triple crown winner War Admiral by four links. The race of the century. It was on this date nineteen fifty. Presidential assassination attempts are nothing new in this country. It didn't start with President Trump. Nineteen fifty. On the State two Puerto Rican nationalists try to force their way into Blairhouse in Washington, d C. In a failed attempt to assassinate President Harry Truman. It's on this date in nineteen eighty two that the first Japanese car produced in this country rolled off the assembly line at the Honda manufacturing plant in Marysville. Nineteen eighty nine, East Germany reopened its border with Czechoslovakia, prompting tens of thousands to flee to the west. East Germany would later announce on November ninth it was opening its border crossings with West Berlin. They finally heated Reagan's call to tear down that wall this state. Nineteen ninety five Piece talks opened in Dayton, Ohio, leaders of Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia. There the talks would lead to the formal signing the next month in Paris of the Dayton Piece Accords, signaling the end of more than three years of war in Bosnia. Golf Hall of Famer Gary Player, What a great great player.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: And still revered today. Gary Player is ninety years old. Today, Football Hall of Famer ten Headrigs is seventy eight. The great music producer David Foster turned seventy six. Lyle Lovett Lamb marked that we got to find some Lyle Lovett to play at some point. This morning. It's his birthday. He's sixty eight. Apple CEO Tim Cook sixty five, Anthony Keatis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers turned sixty three, Tony Collette the actress is fifty three, Jenny McCarthy is fifty three, Football Hall of Famer Steve Hutchinson is four, and Nalia Tina the actress is forty one today, and there are others. If it's your birthday, I hope that it is absolutely positively the best day you could possibly imagine, and you get to spend this day with the people you love, doing the things you love to do. And that is truly my wish for you. Gary Jeff with a Saturday Morning edition just ahead on seven hundred WLW if we have WLW sports, William Tomlinson, good morning. Can you believe that we have no bathrooms in this building?
Speaker 3: Spent a nightmare this morning, Gary Death, That's all I have to comment on this situation.
Speaker 1: I walked in the elevator. There's a big sign water shut down. Notice. Apparently the city of Cincinnati is doing something with the main water line in this building we're in, and that means that the water is completely shut off throughout the entire building. Now, I don't want to give too much away, but you have a tendency to really have to use the restroom on Saturday mornings, right.
Speaker 3: And early on Saturdays after a Friday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got to go down to P three. There's portalletts down there. So I just want to let you know if at any point you feel compelled you, I mean, you can't help it. I mean, you go more than my little Frankie, the wonder cat at home, who's always in his poop box. So I just want to let you know that at any point this morning you need me to just take the wheel for a few minutes, I will do my best because I know you have needs.
Speaker 3: This studio is about to become my poop box with all this water out.
Speaker 1: All right, So anyway, let's get to the important stuff the sports.
Speaker 3: High school football playoffs going on in Ohio beginning this past night. On Friday, Wyoming defeated Roger Bacon thirty eight to thirteen. Cincinnti College Preparatory Academy fell to Fort Recovery High School thirty four to eight. Lima topped Aikens sixty two to twenty. LaSalle edged out a win over Turpen twenty eight to twenty seven. Last night, Portsmouth defeated Summit Country Day thirty to six. Withrow blanked Piqua forty five to nothing. Lakota East defeated Oak Hills in a barn burner fifty nine to forty seven and a top Deer Park fifty four to fifteen. Wooden Woods thirty nine. Little Miami six, Nicholas defeated Chili Coough thirty four to seven. Coffee I thought the he was silent. My apologies to the Chili Coffee fans out there. Clinton Massy fifty one, Taylor twenty one. Fairfield topped Mason forty six to forty one. Harrison dominated Butler forty to seven. Lakota West blanked Hamilton thirty to nothing. In New Richmond fell to Washington fifty six to thirty five.
Speaker 1: That one coming. Is there a Game seven in the World Series? Liam?
Speaker 3: Last night, the Dodgers defeated the Blue Jays three to one. Game seven tonight at eight pm.
Speaker 1: All, come and all.
Speaker 3: Is this the greatest World Series of the twenty first century?
Speaker 1: Great Jeff, don't be flooding the airwaves with over hype, superlatives and the like just because it's a Game seven, but there is no more exciting thing to say than Game seven of the World Series. We have it. It's happening. The Bears are in town tomorrow to face our Bengals. YEP, kick except for one.
Speaker 3: Pregame coverage begains at nine thirty right here on the Home of the Best Bengals Coverage, seven hundred WLW and the Orange Blue Faced the Columbus crew on the road tomorrow night with a chance to advance to the next round of the MLS Playoffs. Kick except for six thirty. Pre game coverage begains at six on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. And you see it's on the road tonight basing Utah College game day pregame coverage because at nine kick a set for ten right here on seven hundred WLWS.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Jerry Jennifer Walker time change weekend. Each tonight before we roll back into Rack, we set the clocks back one hour. We're still doing this madness. But okay, I mean the origins of daylight and standard time, even well chronicled, we've talked about and some people say just leave it like it is, and some people say, no, let's hit daylight saving time and then just leave it like it is. I'm one of those people the ladder. I wish it was just daylight savings time all the time. But there are arguments back and forth, and we still continue to do this little dance twice a year. So we're in the middle of that, and I must win weekend for the angles. More than likely big elections in Cincinnati on Tuesday. We'll cover some of that too, But first and foremost, the lovely lady Lynette is here to join us.
Speaker 4: Oh clear bar ge two side peace papers for side Yeah queer Ma. She of purchase thirty yearsical City for clama ge to side yec fo Pucy for shot Cueerma. She had a purchase.
Speaker 1: God amen, well, amen yourself a man you are. You are in the best voice I think I've ever heard you in, Lynette.
Speaker 5: I prayed while I sound like, oh if we do. I put my crosses all around my neck and throat and that little soil very glad. It was all swell, and I'm like, he's gott give me back, give me back.
Speaker 1: Now you are you a natural soprano?
Speaker 5: I'm everything?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I remember the morning you told me you were transracial.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm that too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My wife heard that and I said, I said, what do you think of that, Kristien? She said, I think she's transplanetary.
Speaker 5: That too, treat mind. Look you look through the defrigerators, stilled door.
Speaker 1: I'm just me, Well, we love you. You don't need to be anything.
Speaker 5: Else from planet happened?
Speaker 1: What's been going on this last week since we last talked.
Speaker 5: Oh, he'd just been playing beingoing Halloween pictures and Halloween parties. And I don't have no numbers, Elvis, skim me a call, doll baby, some phone, not post say if you christ excuse me, like go one night, I saw a man standing you know where my phone is like a scenographer.
Speaker 6: Just push, push, push what you saw?
Speaker 5: No man? Phone numbers on my phone?
Speaker 1: You saw, you saw, you saw a man standing in front of you what I didn't.
Speaker 7: Know what it was.
Speaker 5: He was pushing like a synogos for working at Sandre five, they say you can erase numbers and stuff off a phone like that.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that somebody came into your room, got your phone and was erasing numbers.
Speaker 5: Evidently I don't have your number no more. I don't have nobody's number, and my grandson Jason. He always fixes my watches. Now, I got two watches on dead, so.
Speaker 1: You got two more. You got two watches, but you can't tell what time it is because they're both dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they said cheap. The first year I got im on tarwarster. He said, throw them in the garbage. I said, okay, throw them in garbage. Art two more. I come up here in the age work for a boom broke the watch band boom broke. The second one, I get you on tomorrow. Yeah, I'm waiting six years ago. So then get no money from my poa. Yes, he said, I wasn't aware you had for money. I said, yes, I told you shall get tomorrow. I said, no, you ain't that fast. I said maybe a week or two. He said, yeah, two weeks. Well recently said he wasn't aware that when he come over. See, I didn't know I had COVID. He told me I had COVID. Tod Why And he tell me I'm the patient.
Speaker 1: Who didn't who didn't tell you you had COVID?
Speaker 5: The people here, Oh, I heard the nurse teller roommate. I see he still got COVID, ain't you? She said, m. I'm like, what you're talking about willis because I remember when I first had it five years ago. I called the barking dog syndrome. You shound crown dog barking, and she did for two weeks, but I wasn't aware. And my family know I'm called it, thank God because they was in out to visit me.
Speaker 1: Well, thank God.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come over to cant How.
Speaker 1: Do you, Lenett? How do you feel right now this morning?
Speaker 5: I feel great?
Speaker 1: All right, So you probably don't have COVID.
Speaker 5: No, thank god. Thanks you just coming around again, evidently because they give them now shots. I've been wanting mine for three weeks. I said, you know, a double. They said we can't get them together, so I said, we'll give him a hip. The police shot that was about three weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Did you dress up for anything for Halloween yesterday?
Speaker 5: Were Christians? Christians don't do it? We have Harvest Festival?
Speaker 1: Answer?
Speaker 5: Good God, No, I did. But I did have a beard on for a week and a half.
Speaker 1: You what I had a beard on?
Speaker 5: I was wearing a beard because I couldn't cut it off. I did cutting it, it was massaging it.
Speaker 1: Lenette. It's always good to talk to you, my dear. I'm glad that you're doing great and you sounded fantastic singing, so thank you so much for that. Have a wonderful week, baby. We love you.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, Geane, I have your numbers so much, sort of the numbers. I'm a notebook. I had no numbers. Marsha. I hope you're going good. Yeah, you transplan right, he or something. I feel isolated from all my fans on a phone, them all on, Patricia, send me a car from Columbus, and I love you all out there.
Speaker 1: All right Lynette, thank you. If there's time into the first official hour of this Saturday Morning Edition for Saturday, November one, twenty twenty five, I'm Gary Jeff Walker. It's great to be with you once again on the Saturday Morning Edition. Weekend before big elections in different places around the country and including right here in Cincinnati, the may earl election, the city council, many things up for grabs, and as we prepare, there are people moving ballots this morning right even as I speak. In One of them is my friend, the truck commander west Side, Jim Keefer. Good morning, west Side, Jim, how are we?
Speaker 8: Good morning, Gary, Jeff it's offul early, buddy. But at least I've got a bathroom. I don't have to go to P three.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm telling you what. This was brutal, and it was unannounced. None of us had any inkling that we'd be tinkling outside until we got here to the building. There was no email from the building, nothing from the company.
Speaker 2: That's brutal.
Speaker 1: It is brutal.
Speaker 8: They're not heated, of course, so if you got to do well, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's okay. I mean it's forty degrees so we won't have to to worry about icicles, that's true, or blue ice.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 8: So here to do my yearly civic duty. Gary Jeff to Colleen and all the good people at the BOE before I give her a nice shout out this morning.
Speaker 1: In exactly what you do, because I still, in all these years you've described it or told me that you were a truck commander, I still don't know exactly what that means. What do you do?
Speaker 8: There's twenty five trucks that deliver the ballots to a certain locations, and then the executives from each precinct come and pick up the ballots from us and then we go back to the BOE out there in Norwood, and then Tuesday night we do to reversal. So this morning we'll be delivering approximately twenty three to twenty five precincts ballots so that people can vote on Tuesday. So it's pretty important because if we didn't deliver them, nobody would have any ballots. You know, we jump in rental trucks and deliver what.
Speaker 1: We have to do, all right, and so then Tuesday you'll pick up the ballots. Now, what happened to the unused ballots? Because I know turnout in Cincinnati elections is usually pathetically low, even for a mayor's race.
Speaker 8: Yeah, supposed to be like twenty three to twenty five percent. I think they get destroyed. If I'm not mistaken on that. One's above my pay grade. I mean, I'm just a lonely truck driver. But I'm sure when.
Speaker 6: They go back to the BOE what they have.
Speaker 8: In surplus that people have not showed up, I'm sure that they either shred them or destroy them somehow.
Speaker 1: Or they just fill him in for aft tab pure vault, so it ensures that it ensures, it ensures that he wins instead of Corey Boemer.
Speaker 6: Geez, we don't.
Speaker 8: We don't even want to discuss that one, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: Apparently I let the cat out of the bag.
Speaker 6: Jim.
Speaker 2: Now, I was with Corey the last three days, so.
Speaker 1: I talked to I talked to I talked to Corey earlier this week, and well, I'm not a citizen of Cincinnati. I pray that somehow, some way the pastor is elected over the current office holder.
Speaker 8: Yet great guy, So we're all hoping that one.
Speaker 6: But that's what we do.
Speaker 8: So I got to go pick up my little Democrat girl out there at the BOE. There's always a Republican and Democrat that worked together.
Speaker 2: So that they keep it.
Speaker 1: Reaching, reaching across the aisle, or across the bench, across the bench seat of the truck, as it may be.
Speaker 2: You got it, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim, I appreciate the.
Speaker 8: Time, buddy, and I'm getting ready. I'm going to head out right now as soon as I get off the phone.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your morning, Thank you, sir, take care you want, and only west side, Jim truck commander. Hi, Dave, it's Dave from Harrison and by the way, on behalf of my wife CHRISTA two point. Oh, Dave, I want to thank you for making the trek from Harrison out to Fort Thomas last Sunday to Grace Fellowship Church where my wife got baptized for the first time in her life. You being there meant the world to her, and thank you for being there.
Speaker 6: This is today which the Lord has made.
Speaker 9: We will rejoice and be glad in at Gary Jeff, Happy November.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess happy inkling of a tinkling.
Speaker 1: I did do that, didn't I I'm sorry?
Speaker 6: What side?
Speaker 10: Jim is my hero?
Speaker 9: I want to come right out there and say it.
Speaker 2: Just get it out there. Always has been, always will be.
Speaker 6: I hear it.
Speaker 1: You could, you could choose better. But okay, Dave, what do you got?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: What do you call what do you call someone who plays tricks on Halloween?
Speaker 1: What do you call somebody who plays tricks on Halloween? I don't know.
Speaker 2: That would be a Frankenstein. Yeah, sure enough, there's one.
Speaker 6: Gary.
Speaker 8: Yet, what do you call a bunch of bats that.
Speaker 9: Are all shinying?
Speaker 1: What a bunch of bats?
Speaker 2: A bunch of shy bats?
Speaker 1: What do you call shan yu and batsy? I don't know.
Speaker 6: You call them.
Speaker 2: Acrobats?
Speaker 10: Scared yeah, acrobats.
Speaker 1: It didn't even make any sense. Okay, what's the last one?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 1: This better be a good one. This is the big finish.
Speaker 11: Dave, I, this are supposed to make sense? Oh okay, Well, what kind of deers do friends share with each other?
Speaker 1: What kind of what.
Speaker 2: Deers do friends share with each other? Deers?
Speaker 1: I've never shared a deer with a friend, not.
Speaker 2: Even a branded deer.
Speaker 12: Wow Wow, jokes told by Dave from Harrison are. He's not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: Great singer, songwriter, interpreter, big band leader Lyle Lovett turned sixty eight Morning clean or no clin Texas. That's right, he's from Texas, no doubt about that. Fred is from Saint Petersburg, Florida, and he's on the phone this bright and early Saturday morning. Fred, what do you number one? What are you doing up on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 13: I've been waiting all year to tell you this joke. Oh good, it's a daylight savings joke.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 13: Nurse Mary, she was doing a rounds in the Old Folks Home and she peeked into Old Frank's room. Oh Frank, he was in there, spread and shoe polish all over swoon suit area, and she hollered in there. She goes, Frank Frank, I said, set your clocks back, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Thank you. Fred. Jeez, at least we have something quality to follow that. His name is Rick Wasburn Old Radio Rick? Good Morning.
Speaker 10: I like being led in by by Lyall Lovett a lot more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would have been that would have been choice primo. But no, you got Fred as your front man.
Speaker 10: Hey, you mentioned something to Lynette about being somebody being transracial, and it cracked me up because yesterday I was working with a fellow in the morning who informed me that he was radio curious.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I gotta admit something that I've never admitted on the air. I'm radio curious too. Every Saturday morning when we talk, I'm curious about the device that you are tuning us in on they're just west of Indianapolis, and I'm dying to hear the reception report. Now, so what do we got?
Speaker 10: Thank you, doctor Seguey. You're coming in four by four in nineteen forty seven Stromberg Carlson. Hey, i'll take four by four in this one. It's a Model fifteen hundred h it's a dinatomic, rolls off the tongue. It's a basic AM radio. It's a so called All American five designs, so it's got five tubes. News is pretty much the same circuitry as everyone else's. And it's available in ivory or brown plastic case. And hey, without further it's you shall we go to the catalog. Please, let's the dynatomic for the bedroom or kitchen at dinner office bad idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, not the living room, not any other room. But if you're in the den or the kitchen, it's the perfect radio.
Speaker 10: So the body there table ACDC model of unusual power and tonal richness already. Then well, then we go on to the Stromberg Carlson ad which says, stop, look and listen. There is nothing finer than a Stromberg Carlson. Okay, so this story apparently being told by the daughter wearing a skirt with the record strewn around her on the floor. Let's see how this smart family picked up fine radio. Dad said, stop, stop, let's not be casual about this business of buying a fine radio. You don't do that many times in a lifetime. We want to be sure we're right. Mother said, look, look, we're pretty proud of the way we furnished this home, and we should look around until we find the radio in keeping with our lovely pieces. And daughter says, I said, listen, when I tune on Gershwin, I want Gershwin, and not a reasonable fac simile thereof. And the same goes for Bach or Beethoven when I'm in the mood. So let's listen for a lifetime tone. And she's a party girl, didn't she. This is nineteen forty forty seven.
Speaker 1: Forty seven, in nineteen forty seven, and she's talking about Bach, Beethoven, and Gershwin, not even Sinatra, not even you know, any big band stuff. No, we're talking about the classical composers, the great American composers Ira and George Gershwin, Which I mean when I want Gershwin, I want Gershwin. I don't I don't want gosh one, I don't or any other variation of.
Speaker 10: That machine either. We doesn't wish, she said, no, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Even the way she's addressed, she does not look fun. She actually she doesn't look at day over a fifty A teenage daughter.
Speaker 6: There you go, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 10: And I've never seen a picture before with a teenager with records strewn around on the floor, but they're all classical seventy eight. Of course, she's got good taste, but she's a slob. Is long getting out of the.
Speaker 1: Not good housewife material.
Speaker 10: Watch out, kids, Dude.
Speaker 1: You don't want any part of this woman. She's gonna leave your house a mess and never pick up after herself. Much less you don't expect that pot rose to be ready when you come home for dinner.
Speaker 10: Yes, and good luck with that fine record collection you're bringing into the marriage.
Speaker 1: That's right. Those platters won't be good. Those platters won't be good enough to serve dinner on.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 10: And another subject, Karma hates me, apparently, because yesterday I got home to get ready for the trigger treaters, and darned if the doorbell stopped working. Darn that was that was an interesting challenge.
Speaker 1: Well, you need a good knocker or two at your house.
Speaker 10: Old Radio.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to find out more, check out Rick Washburn at Old Radio Rick at gmail dot How Now, Brown County, we go to the bar on Main Street at a place known as Brookies right now, Good morning, gang, whoa You got a lot of folks there this.
Speaker 9: Morning, lots of folks and two dogs.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a new dog in the fold here. Maggie has joined in the fun. So we got I've met Maggie. Maggie is a sweet doggie. And is Jack there? Yes, so Darren actually was Darren actually woke up then.
Speaker 14: Fantastic brought along with me.
Speaker 1: Very very much.
Speaker 2: We had last week.
Speaker 15: So that's why we got a crowd this morning.
Speaker 1: That's right, man, join in the fun. Absolutely, everybody dive in to a pile on the floor and wriggle. So a couple of things going on this morning. Uh, Angie is there? Angie's not usually there? She of course is the uh the misses of the oil baron of Brown County, Doug and uh at a little a little road trip. She's she's Mulania to his Donald as we like to say, and as we mentioned, the weather Rock was back, did we find a permanent place that we of course, Brookies is not only a bar, it's also sometimes a restaurant if the cook's out of jail. But it's also the Ripley to the Ripley, the Ripley Center for tourism is the weather Rock. Has it found a home yet?
Speaker 14: Well, it's inside right now with it's decorating with the Halloween motif.
Speaker 10: Oh right now.
Speaker 14: So we're gonna have to find a place for it outside. But anyway, it's got some water on it. I think somebody may be spilt a drink on it or something.
Speaker 11: But I think that.
Speaker 6: Means it's going to rain.
Speaker 1: We might get a little sprinkle there, Yeah, we might, all right, absolutely if Queen of Hearts continues to roll, is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Two hundred and thirty five thousand right now, And Darren's kind of changed things up.
Speaker 15: We're drawing three different times on Wednesday nights.
Speaker 10: Also not start last week, right yep, yep?
Speaker 1: Oh your work there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how does that work?
Speaker 7: At seven thirty?
Speaker 6: We usually draw for the Queen of Hearts, so we've that hasn't changed.
Speaker 10: If you're not here, or if it's not the Queen of Hearts, you get.
Speaker 2: One hundred dollars.
Speaker 10: So we draw it.
Speaker 7: Eight o'clock we do the same thing, and eight thirty we do the same thing. And we also do a drawer in the day thirty to just pull your name out and you're here to get.
Speaker 9: Five hundred dollars, kind like four drum that's nice.
Speaker 7: Then, yeah, And then I gave the last guy the option didn't get the five hundred dollars or he'd cut another card off the board. He got to take one or the other. He took the money. But that's an option. It's deal or no deal.
Speaker 2: What Brookies, Well, it sounds.
Speaker 1: Like an awful lot of fun anything going on this weekend outside of a two dog morning.
Speaker 7: No bands tonight that I had one book, but one of the bass player's brother passed away yesterday.
Speaker 6: They canceled on them.
Speaker 7: Yeah so yeah, but yeah, we're just gonna wing it.
Speaker 9: Next Saturday.
Speaker 2: We'll be in Russellville.
Speaker 1: Oh really, at least his wayside.
Speaker 9: Yeah, be on the road.
Speaker 1: Love that taking taking Brookies on the road on a Saturday. All right, gang, it's great here. You're all in great voice and have a wonderful time. Is Matt Miller there?
Speaker 9: No, No, didn't answer the call.
Speaker 14: Mat he was out too late last night because I was out too late last Maybe well my daughter was out running around with.
Speaker 6: Bat Now how come?
Speaker 1: How come the one true alcoholic doesn't show up at the bar at six point thirty on a Saturday morning. I can't believe it. Take care, guys, have a fantastic weekend. Steve fro Met No High six forty five Eastern. That is, don't forget to set your clocks back one hour tonight before you go to bed. Yeah, it's that that time of the year again. And tomorrow morning it'll be an hour earlier than it is now, even though it's later. I'm confused, but that's nothing new for me. Gary Jeff with you on the Saturday morning edition. Here is the guy who helps diffuse that confusion, A gentleman who, through his commentaries, his wit, his wisdom, and his keen historical knowledge, clears things up on a lot of different fronts. Every Saturday morning around this time, Steve from at Ohio is back. Good morning, Steven, Good.
Speaker 17: Morning, Gary. Jeff Lebron James caught the attention of the big money crowd while he was still a junior at Saint Vincent Saint Mary High School on Akron as you know you should. He skipped college for the NBA and has done rather well financially. How much could he have earned while in college from name, image, likeness money? Remembering that NIL did not come to the NCD until twenty twenty one, welcome folks to the Ohio High School Athletic Association member voting referendum November seventeen to twenty one, which will decide whether Ohio remains one of only five states that have not approved NIL money for high schools. The principles of those schools will each task one vote. This comes as a result of a lawsuit by a Dayton area phenom and his mother at a judge's temporary restraining order, forcing OHSAA to draft and present a plan to its members. Jamiir Brown, the athlete in question, has committed to Ohio state. In all forty five NIL states, in Ohio's proposal is no exception. The proof is in the pudding. Restrictions very tremendous Ohios include barring quote personal branding activities during school hours or while traveling to and from any OHSAA event. The deal cannot induce the student to attend a specific school. Ohio schools cannot arrange deals on behalf of an athlete. Athletes have to NOTIFYSAA within fourteen days of a deal or become ineligible for a period of quote up to twenty percent of the sports season. A spokesman FORSAA has made it clear the overseer and this is a quote, does not want to mimic the NCAA protocols, especially transfer portals. The referendum's complete text is due to be released publicly any day now. I'll be very interested in the penalties for violations to an athlete's grades or attendance record matter our endorsements for gambling, alcohol or marijuana forbidden. If and when Ohio approves an NIL proposal, only Michigan, Indiana, Alabama, and Hawaii remain non nil states. Have these states witnessed an exodus of high school athletes looking for a pot of gold elsewhere?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 17: Let me conclude with a reminder of that nineteen eighties Bob Knight interview with Playboy in which he pointed out the fairly extensive violations of NCAA rules but refused to blame the nc DOUBLEA, noting how little money it gets to police its members. The nil money college athletes get is not held in escrow in the normal sense of that word, so they can spend it as fast as it comes in. Presumably it's the same now that high schools are involved. At the college level. Third parties oversee the transactions to ensure compliance with NCAA rules and state laws. Yeah, it's really getting the weeds, isn't it. ESPN explains it this way, and this is a quote. Common school requirements include that the athlete get business advice or training beforehand, and abstain from promoting certain products or services. One would hope that one of them is gambling. State laws primarily focus on preventing NIL deals used as recruiting tools, with some stage limiting or outlawing booster club activities in an NIL process. The NCAA prohibition list also involves quote deals that directly involved athletic performance or would compromise. Oh this is really good an athlete's amateur status. Can we all agree that?
Speaker 6: Jesus?
Speaker 17: Can we all agree the ladership sailed a hell of a long time ago. Presently, the NCAA is trying hard to get a federal law protecting its self from anti trust actions. One wonders if high school athletes will be sensible with their nil A goodies when college recipients like Shadeur Sanders set an unfortunate example. Shadeur left Colorado with over six million dollars and has managed to spend about a third of it, much of that on a celebrity laden draft party in Dallas, despite his failing to get picked by the Browns until the fifth round, when some experts thought he'd go in round one. Incidentally, his dad and Colorado head coach Dion Sanders, did not attend the draft party. And by the way, did anybody call in Gary jeff on this comment that was made on the air today that the current approved unanimously vote on redistricting air in Ohio will last until twenty thirty. No, that's not true. The next redraw of districts will wait for the twenty thirty census, which determines how many congressional seats we get. Now, we took five years this time, so maybe you'd be closer to the truth if you said thirty thirty five. Just thinking that's dangerous, Take care of yourself and talk to you next week there, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Well, Steve, it's actually the news department that said until twenty thirty maybe a little bit more research should be done. And I want to remind you that you mentioned Lebron James at the beginning of this conversation about high school Nil in Ohio. Lebron James his senior season, his senior year in high school, was driving around a brand new Hummer, of course, that belonged to his mom, a single, hard working mother. Sure it happens ray in Lovelin, good morning.
Speaker 2: My brother Gary, Jeff, that would be King James as he was called back then. And you're one hundred percent correct on that. And I you know Nil and bitcoin, you know, neither of those subjects. I have much understanding. But now thanks to Steve and I all have a little bit understanding and about all I need. I hope what it sounds. Doesn't it sound like end of days? Almost? What's happened in sports? I mean, can we ruin it anymore?
Speaker 6: I don't understay it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the next thing is uh elementary school junior high I of course, now I would not have earned a great deal of nil money as a sixth or seventh man on the Knox Toss junior high basketball team in ninth grade. But nobody, nobody wanted to use my name, my image, or my likeness for anything except I don't know, maybe a dark board. So well, you know, I wouldn't have affected my athletic career at all, my short but storied athletic career in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
Speaker 2: And perhaps you'd better off as result. But you know, I do want to give a tip of the cap to both you and Steve Schulty, and because he's coming up I know a little bit. And the environment scam that we've been living in, you both have been staunched insteadfast for decades, I know, for twenty five years on this subject. And the reason I bring it up because it seems that the there's cracks in the walls of the environmentalism, as Rush used to say, environmentalism is the new word for socialism.
Speaker 1: Indeed, even we are going to get into that just after seven o'clock with the Bill Gates reversal.
Speaker 2: There we go. And I did not want to step.
Speaker 6: On that at all.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Now it's a good tast that's what we call a tease in the business. Ray, good job, Mark.
Speaker 2: To tate this all right, Tyler, good to talk to you. God bless you, and God bless America.
Speaker 1: God bless you. Sir. We will come back with mister Shulty and maybe something else before the top of the hour. Hang on, it's a Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, November first, on seven hundred W The Saturday Morning Edition for Saturday November one, twenty twenty five. How you doing. I'll be fine, Thank you, Gary, Jeff Walker. I am I, and you are you and we are all together. Cuckockachew six minutes after the hour before we get to Steve Shulty. Real quick, Tim who does the high school football scoreboard show, had some comments on the high school nil or the nil in general. Tim quickly, sir, good morning. How are you.
Speaker 16: I feel great, Gary, Jeff, thanks for taking my call. I'm in a bad section, so if I happen to lose you, I will apologize, but real quickly. On Jamiir Brown. He attends Wayne High School in Dayton, Ohio. He is currently the number two wide receiver and the number five player in the United States according to some recruiting services. And money for training and for tutoring. But my argument is that he is very well recognized and known. There are about seven hundred and eight schools in the state of Ohio to have high school football. There's about a thousand high schools. Last time this vote came up, it was voted down two to one, so roughly six hundred and fifty high schools do not want nil in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: The other thing real quickly.
Speaker 1: Is doing.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: You were right about the reception, Tim. I'll tell you what. I'll put you on hold if you had anything else to offer. Let's go head to our environmental engineer Steve Schulte, who owes as a strong signal because he is there. They good morning, how are you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Interesting news this past week on the climate craze front is that Bill Gates, the multi billionaire who has been behind the narrative that we're in a climate crisis caused by the use of fossil fuels and man made activity has driven us to the brink. Now he's saying, yeah, you know, really it's not a crisis. Huh. How about that?
Speaker 9: Well, well, there may be some cracks. I'm not ready to pop the champagne if you will, Okay, because I did look. Take a look at Bill gate blog of October twenty eight. It's under the title three tough Truce.
Speaker 1: About Climate and this is what blog says.
Speaker 9: Number One, climate change is serious, but we've made great progress. We need to keep backing the break backing up the breakthroughs that will help the world reach zero emissions. Next, but we can't cut funding for health and development programs that help people stay resilient in the face of climate change. Well, are we gonna have fun boats? And next is it's time to put human welfare at the center of our climate strategies, which includes reducing the green premium. I'll explain that to zero and improving agriculture and health in poor countries. The green premium is coined by Bill Gates. It's the additional cost for a product or service that does not emit CO two. So apparently wants to clear that. But more importantly later on in the blog, and this is under bold print is to be clear, climate change is a very important problem. It needs to be solved along most other problems like malaria, malnutrition. Every tenth of a degree of heating, I would say warming every tenth degree of heating that we prevent. It's hugely beneficial because a stable climate makes it easier to improve people's lives. Gary jeffs, he still draps the kool aid and believes in the lie that underlies this hoax.
Speaker 1: No, he's still he's still he's still preaching the lie because he's preached the lie for twenty years. And to completely backtrack on it would be admitting that he was part of the hoax, which he was a huge part of the hoax. And as far as him worried about human health and compromising humanity, he's the same guy who said he thought the Earth would be better off if we only had five hundred million people on it instead of seven billion. This is this is the same anti humanist Bill Gates right, that has been lying, and to admit that he was lying would shine the spotlight on him even more than backtracking a little bit.
Speaker 9: See so back again some cracks, but I would not be popping the champagne. And interesting enough, on this past Thursday, through the CO two coalition, they put out something which hunts and climate change European witch hunts of the fourteen hundreds and through the sixteen hundreds targeted witches that were thought it would be responsible for epidemics and crop failures related to the climate temperatures, the Little Ice Age, And one of the interesting things in his book.
Speaker 10: A Where is It?
Speaker 1: I Don't Know?
Speaker 9: Very commni and Warming by executive director Greg Wright Wright Stone, he shows the graph. But interesting enough, you know what was happening back then is the first witch hunts occurred with plunging temperatures that transition the Europe from the beneficial medieval warm period of eight fifty to twelve fifty does increasing cold, naturally driven climate change was accompanied by crop failure, hunger, rising prices, epidemics and mass population. Well really what it meant.
Speaker 6: Was mass deaths.
Speaker 9: And it's interesting that during this cold period is when all this witch hunt stuff began because that's what band thought, that evil humans were causing the bad weather, and they estimated tens of thousands of witches during this period were killed in Europe alone, particularly during fifteen sixty to sixteen eighty when we had dramatic cold weather. But interesting enough, what caused the end of the witch and the killings in the late starting in the late sixteen hundreds, the warming trend that started three hundred years ago continues today in fits and starts.
Speaker 6: Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 9: Climate change is always changing. No stable clients have ever ever ever existed on the planet.
Speaker 2: Earth, weak or without.
Speaker 1: And furthermore, to your point, Steve, the narrative of climate crisis, whether it be freezing or warming, has always been surrounded by superstition and non science, just like the current incarnation. Thank you, sir. Seven thirteen at seven hundred WL. Just an amalgamation of crazy, wild stories from all over the country and all over the world. Here is your correspondent, Tom David.
Speaker 18: Good morning, Gary, Jeff. This week to the Victor go the Acorns. Yes, but first, a strange thing is happening near the Chernobyl exclusion Zone. Dogs are turning blue, the offspring of the abandoned dogs in the nineteen eighty six is well documented disaster are turning completely blue. Doctors have no idea what's going on. They're trying to figure out what's causing the color change. One thought is that they might be drinking some radiated toilet water. That's for real. There's an organization called Dogs of Chernobyl that's accepting donations.
Speaker 1: If you would like to help out the Blue Dogs.
Speaker 18: Meanwhile, six people arrested in Saint Lucy County, Florida after a case of mistaken location. It seems that this half dozen thought they were at a nude beach when they took it all off. Turns out they missed it by that much. The nude beach they were looking for was one mile north of their location. Despite the obvious mix up, they were arrested and charged with indecent exposure. Speaking of naked people, a woman in Illinois was left naked and afraid on a waxing table after her waxer quit midwax. Apparently they got into some kind of argument and the waxer walked out, leaving the customer bear naked on the table covered in wax. Eventually, they found a brave employee to step in and finish the job, and finally, a group of overweight rodents recently competed in the Texas Parks and Wildlife's inaugural Fat Squirrel Week. The competition aimed to crown the most obese squirrel across all of the Texas State Parks. Chunk of Saurus Rex was to proclaim the winner after a bracket style competition took place using social media likes as votes. Other competitors included Chunk, Norris and Stanley. The Texas Tank Top Prize you guessed it Nuts. Next week health Club offers Porsche to first person to lose one hundred pounds have a great weekend, saying there's almost.
Speaker 1: Four another hour this Saturday Morning edition, for this Saturday, November the first twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and you're not and aren't you glad? I'm going to carry that around, believe me? Heavy is the head who wear's the headphones. Seven minutes past the hour on this Saturday morning. Well, it's that time already. My goodness still to come. Gifts from Wally and a visit from Moe Egger, who is going to be live and I would guess a hotel room somewhere in Utah unless he got into a private home somewhere for the UC game later today. How about a science minute with our friends science money. I think that would be appropriate and timely.
Speaker 16: Yes, as a nightly scientist, surprising all blinding me.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, Good morning, Michael, how are you?
Speaker 2: Monster Mash was the first rap song you know, I.
Speaker 1: Know, actually usually the first rap song is attributed to Bob Dylan and the Subterranean Homesick Blues Mom was in the base Man mixing up to medicine. He's doing the flashcards in the video. It's like the first rap video Bob Dylan. Monster Mass was Monster Mass was a dance song, kind of like No, the early sixties were rife with dance crazes, and I mean it's the reason Chubby Checker's finally gotten into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of the dance crazes. He started with the twist and limbo rock and the rest of that stuff. And then you know, he had he had to mash potato all the fly all of the dance songs came out in the early sixties.
Speaker 11: Well, they had another song this last night, we're driving back from the great hit Halloween.
Speaker 2: Was the Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Bob the frank I've never I've never heard the Frankenston.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I haven't either. It was on one of your older stations on the FM side. Okay, this is let's get to the topic. You'll like this. When I think this topic was actually under the science heading under a magazine, and I'll read the title that the other articles. Do NFL reps favor the Kansas City Chiefs? Now, this is published in the Financial Review and it came out of Texas ou Pastor University and South Carolina University, University of South Carolina.
Speaker 2: And what they had found was the answer yes, basically and what they've looked at was true.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs are just said good. They found what.
Speaker 11: They looked at thirteen thousand defensive penalties from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty three, and they looked at it and the postseason officiating appears to be systematically favored to the mahomes Ara Chiefs. And what they found was during the playoff side two point three six yards were longer for defensive calls against the Chiefs offense, twenty three percent more likely to result in the first down, twenty eight percent more likely to be subjective calls, and other worse things you can't overturn. And these were absent during the regular season at least only happened during the playoff season. And it was interesting is this started in twenty fifteen to twenty seventeen period. And they cite the NFL face the anthem kneeling issue and the social controversies at the time and ratings were down, and the Chiefs drew four million more viewers in twenty percent higher television ratings in twenty seventeen, So you know, it was interesting. I just want to read two quick, small paragraphs from this article and we'll move we'll move on. The key finding was that the postseason penalties against the defensive playing Kansas City consistently went further farther and occurred at more defense decisive moments than similar calls against any other team team.
Speaker 2: And then it's an.
Speaker 11: Even more telling The effect grew stronger when the same referees who had previously officially a Chiefs playoff game were reassigned to call another Kansas City postseason matchup. The refs were significantly more likely the issue calls in the Chiefs favor in higher, higher high leverage situations. In other words, third down plays that went into made a first down out of it. So they're not saying it's fixed, They're just saying, because of pressure of making more succeeding business, you know, the refs are employed by the NFL, that these calls are more favored for the improved of business stature.
Speaker 2: Well, per se, I.
Speaker 1: Rely as a Chiefs fan on the old adage there are lies, damn lies in their statistics. That's prove it out pretty pretty much the same thing the fixes on Chiefs every weekend. All right, all right, Michael, thank you bye, eight twelve at seven hundred w. This program always tries to rely on something positive to get us through, and we do that by bringing you the word of God via the mouth of my brother Rick Green with a Bible verse on a Saturday morning. Brother Green, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Good morning Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 10: I'm going okay.
Speaker 2: This passes today.
Speaker 6: Gary.
Speaker 19: I want to apply it to my life and I pray to everyone listen to it, pray it for me sometimes, Gery, you're just going through stuff. People may look at you a certain way, but God knows you and the song fifty one thirteen create me a pure heart, O God, and we knew a past spirit within you.
Speaker 10: Grey.
Speaker 20: I go through the same thing everybody else goes through. I'm stubborn at times.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I just don't want to do what God.
Speaker 6: Asking me to do.
Speaker 2: I made mistakes, no poor judgment, you name it.
Speaker 1: I'm there.
Speaker 2: It's just couldn't be heavy today.
Speaker 1: No, we're both praying for a sister in Christ that we we both know that you know very well. Yeah, you just suffered a stroke this week, and we will continue to do that. And Rick, you know you said give me the give me the verse again so people can check it out. Sometimes it's not all that clear on the telephone.
Speaker 11: Some what.
Speaker 20: If Palm fifty one, Verse ten, Psalm fifty one. They didn't need a pure heart, Oh God, and we knew a stat spirit within me. Indeed that's name.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, thank you. And from that we go to that Teresa who has other words on a Saturday morning, Good morning, that Teresa.
Speaker 10: How are we?
Speaker 7: We?
Speaker 21: We are a little chilly today.
Speaker 15: You guys are having a heat wave. It's thirty eight degrees and I'm outside in the lovely screened in for some report.
Speaker 1: Now you're you're in South Carolina and it's thirty eight degrees. I just looked at the thismometer again. It's thirty nine here, So we're not much warmer. It's it's been ticking, it's been ticking down. It always does that right before sunrise for some reason.
Speaker 15: Yeah, between like six and seven or seven and eight, it's always a couple of degrees cooler.
Speaker 21: Well, greetings, in salutations.
Speaker 15: Gary Jiff ringmaster of the Saturday Morning Edition, Three Rings Circus. Oh my goodness, vouschong ha Christ the two point, which is good morning in Chinese thanks to President Trump's recent visit or meeting, Uh Chusimo, which is chleas Creek. Frankie the Wonder Cat in Chinese.
Speaker 6: Hi, That's that's it for me.
Speaker 21: I'm done.
Speaker 1: I thought anything revolving revolving around felines and Chinese, I figure has something to do with a recipe or being hungry. So I don't know Frankie appreciates that or not. Anyway, Please, I love Moogoo guy pants.
Speaker 15: I like my cat with a little bit of snow peapods, I digress. Hey, sorry for sorry, frank My apologies.
Speaker 1: They told me it was chicken, got it.
Speaker 21: You know, I've never seen a part of the chicken that looks like what's in my Moogoo guy pant?
Speaker 6: What part of the chicken is that exactly?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 6: Hey too.
Speaker 21: My bff Angela in Arizona, you know, Gary Jess, he gets up.
Speaker 6: At five thirty, so she says to listen to you.
Speaker 15: I'm gonna call her after we're done and test because I think she listens to me on the IET app you know afterwards when she wakes up.
Speaker 6: But anyway, Hay the people.
Speaker 21: At Brookies, Hey to radio Rick, thanks for the radio.
Speaker 15: I'm getting the nineteen seventy Lloyds electronic radio.
Speaker 9: Who it's a throwback, so I.
Speaker 6: Can listen to this on AM.
Speaker 15: Anyway.
Speaker 21: The word of the day is zarp z A R F zark.
Speaker 15: It is a handle for a handle a cup when you get a Starbucks and they had that little sleeve on your cup.
Speaker 6: That's zarp.
Speaker 15: If you have the tin cups.
Speaker 6: I'm going to go back to my girl Scout Babes.
Speaker 21: The tin cup they had a little handle that attached. That's a zarp.
Speaker 15: So God bless you. Good day everybody, Love you all, and hello again Chris.
Speaker 1: By Gary, Jeff, buy that, Teresa, jeez l. Good morning kids. Time for gifts from Wally, possibly delving into the paranormal this morning. Mozart passes away in seventeen ninety one. He's buried in a churchyard. A couple of days later, the town drunk is walking through the cemetery and hears some strange noises emanating from Mozart's burial site. Terrified, the trunk runs and gets a priest to come and listen. The priest bends down close to the grave and here's some faint, unrecognizable music coming from below. Frightened, the priest ran and got the town magistrate. The magistrate arrives, bent his ear to the grave, listens for a moment, and said, ah, yes, that's Mozart's ninth Symphony being played backwards. He listened a while longer and said, that's the eighth Symphony, and it's backwards too. Most puzzling. So the magistrate kept listening at Mozart's grave. There's the seventh, the sixth, the fifth. Suddenly the realization of what was happening dawned on him. He stood up and announced a now gathered crowd that had gathered around the cemetery in Mozart's graves. Said, my fellow citizens, there is no cause for concern. It's just Mozart decomposing.
Speaker 22: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station. Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Listen for all your music, radio and.
Speaker 22: Podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This is Jim.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 1: Jim started advertising with Iharvey when Fred Gwen, who's the judge in the case, is well, he's addressing Joe Peshi, who's a lawyer for these two kids who've been charged with a heinous crime, and Joe peshe says something about the two utes, and fred Gwen, the judge, says, did you say the two utes? Because Moegger is in Utah and apparently he has avoided the complimentary begels at the hotel although it's so early there they may not even be offering them yet. I don't know if begels are illegal in Utah or if they're permitted. And he's avoided the couch and he's with us now on the telephone.
Speaker 6: Hey Mo, what's up?
Speaker 1: So it is very very early where you are, a mountain time, I believe, but I appreciate I appreciate you getting up to join us this morning to talk a little sports. And let's start with the football game. You're in Utah for UC and Utah where the Bearcats, although they've cracked into the top twenty, are still not the favorite team against a very good Utah squad.
Speaker 6: Tell me about the game, pretty significant underdog tonight for the Bearcats. This is going to be a really tough test. You know. Last week, excuse me, last week Cincinnati played Baylor, and Baylor came into the game with the most prolific passing offense in the country. Utah has the most prolific rushing offense in the Big Twelve. Ran for excuse me, ran for over four hundred yards against Colorado last week. And I think if there's a weakness to Cincinnati's team, it's their running defense. The three to three to five defense they play puts them susceptible to teams that can run the ball really well. And so I wonder about a couple of things here. At number one, basically, can you see stop to run?
Speaker 2: Number two?
Speaker 6: Can they avoid the long sustained drives that they have been prone to giving up at times this year? The number three, if they have to play from behind really for the first time since the Nebraska game, the first game of the season, are they going to be equipped to do so?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, there you go. And it always seems to me that college rushing when I watch college games as approach to post to the NFL, college teams that do have a good running game tend to get those runs in big chunks. I mean, it's not uncommon to see a seven or eight yard rush almost every time out of the box. If you've got a good running team in college, where the pros, I mean, I don't know, the average is probably just slightly over three yards of carry, but college you get really big chunk plays on running plays a lot. If you watch a lot of college football, but you see does have a pretty effective offense, and maybe they can match fire with fire that way.
Speaker 6: It's remarkable how good your offense can be when number one, your quarterback never gets sacked. Rennan Swarsbians has been sacked twice this season. And number two wouldn't you never turn the football over? Cincinnati has one turn up over the last six games. And the other thing is, and I think I've talked about this with you, is Cincinnati special teams play last year was atrocious. This year it's turned into a weapon. And so when you don't score, you're not turning it over. You rely on a punt unit that I think has given up four return yards all season long. When you're not scoring touchdowns, you can turn to a field goal kicker who hasn't missed this season. All of those things need to play out today. But yeah, offensively, what's been so fun to watch about them is an offensive line that's one of the best in the Big twelve and an offense that, even when they're not at their best, they don't turn the football over.
Speaker 1: And if they can, if they can, you know, successfully outperform the expectations, this would be a huge win and you know, more fuel for the fire of UC possibly being one of those college college playoff gamps. My Vanderbilt commodoors are traveling to Texas, and I mean my want, of course, is the Diego Pavia and his her friends and comrades turned Bevo into stakes right in front of their home crowd. I don't know that that's going to happen. Texas is slightly favored, but it's been kind of like an underwhelming debut season for arch Manning, hasn't it.
Speaker 13: It has?
Speaker 6: And my understanding, he's been dealing with a concussion all week and so they don't know if he is going to play. I feel bad for that young man, because if his name was Arch Eggar, he is allowed to develop and grow and take the bumps to come with being a freshman starting quarterback in the SEC.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, wait, hold on, man, hang on just a second. Are you trying to tell me that that Crosley's going to have a brother?
Speaker 6: No, I can assure you that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: I feel like the scrutiny that kid has gotten is unfair and it's not deserved, and it's only because of what his last name is. You know, he has been the athletic. There was a piece written by a writer named will Leach who wrote about arch Manning being one of the greatest busts in college football history at that point, the dude that played six games dramatically unfair. So I am really rooting for that guy because I feel like the weight of expectation has just beaten him down. But Diego Pave is my favorite college football player. Vanderbilt is an awesome story, and we'll see if the Texas defense can slow him down.
Speaker 1: Well, it's okay if you're root for arch Manning, just not today, mo. Is there truly anything more anticipated and exciting than the sentence Game seven of the World Series? Because we are there once again, and this so far has been a world Series. I mean, at least in this century, for the twenty first century, would you agree or not?
Speaker 6: It's been You're right, the Game seven of the World Series. You know, we don't get enough of them. The games themselves, now, last night was good. Game three was spectacular, you know, the eighteen inning game, right. The rest of the games themselves have not been awesome. But you know what's so fun to me about a Game seven of the World Series is the all hands on deck nature of it, where you know, you watch baseball all season long, and you know managers will manage that night's game with tomorrow's game in mind. Right, Well, there's none of that happening in Game seven of the World Series. And so I always think it's fun to see when you get games like this, just to see how managers manage the game, what they use, how desperate they are, what strategies old deployed that they might not even earlier in the series. And I am I'm hoping for a classic tonight. There's a big part of me that wishes the Bearcats weren't playing pretty much at the same time. But it's it's it's it's awesome when you get to a Game seven and I give the Dodgers a lot of credit Yoshiyamamoto last night through and he was spectacular. That Toronto crowd early in the game, you know, was ready to explode and he kind of shut him down and in the game seven, Especially in baseball, anything can happen, and I'm excited for tonight.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. I never really did talk to you because it was more or less just breaking last week, the gambling scandal involving the mafia and the NBA and the Department of Justice and everybody has kind of had their their say about it. And when something like this happens, it's good to have like a week to kind of totally process it, because you know, in our business, you want to be first with a take. You've got to be You're demanded to have a take right away. As you've had time to kind of look at everything. What's your take on what has been allegedly going on and what may continue to go on, especially regarding stuff like prop bets.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the prop that's unfortunately, and I am very much pro legalized gambling, and I think I.
Speaker 1: Know I've heard I've heard you on the ads.
Speaker 6: Well, gambling scandals are not new to sports. The mafia is not new. The five Families didn't just get together a couple of weeks ago and decide to start an organize crime racket. So these things aren't new. But I do think they're easier to detect, they're easier to regulate because we have legalized gambling. That said, I can certainly understand why someone would say, look, we're going to have point spreads and we're going to have over unders, and we're going to have legalized gambling. But does it make sense? And I think this is going to have to be up to the individual sportsbooks to not have individual player props because you know, in the case of Terry Rozier, one of the players who was arrested, you know, if it's in a game, you know the point total, the over under is ten and a half points, Well, you could play your heart out score ten points and then come up with a listed ankle. I wonder if those are going to go away. You know, there are some states in Ohio is one of them that don't have player props for college athletes. So you know, I don't think this means you know that we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and this is going to be awful for the NBA. Look, the NBA had a gambling scandal in the mid two thousand that I thought was way worse. They had a referee fixing games, and it was a long time before anybody figured that out.
Speaker 1: Was that Mike Mathis.
Speaker 6: I believe it was most definitely not Mike Mathews Cincinnati. It was Tim Donahey, dude, Tim Donnie.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I mean, I remember at the time somebody was talking to Mike Mathis because it was a fellow colleague.
Speaker 6: That's right, Okay, So anyway with Tim Donahue was throwing games. So you know, it's it's certainly not great for the NBA. It's it certainly triggered a lot of conversations about how well was this inevitable because we've had legalized gambling and you know, again, my take is it's it's it's easier to regulate, it's easier to detect gambling scandals and sports go back to the eighteen hundreds. We had a World Series that got fixed over one hundred years ago. We've had point shaving scandals, we've had game fixing scandals. Those things are not new, but player of props are reasonably new phenomenon, and I guess what I wonder is, do you need a player prop for players who aren't good like I understand betting on Steph Curry's point total or Lebron James point total. Do we need a player prop for guys who are largely inconsequential for players who you know, frankly have I don't want to say, a lot more to gain by tanking their individual effort than you know, a superstar player. I think that's going to be examined. But you know, if if the the the instant takeaway is, well, this is why gambling can't be illegal. If you think making gambling illegal again is going to kill sports gambling candles, you frankly know nothing about the history of sports in the United States.
Speaker 1: No, you just shove it. You shove it back in the dark again where a lot more of it will go on. There's no question about that. All I remember is Howard Stern asking Michael Jordan to retire back in the mid nineties.
Speaker 6: You know Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan is a special contributor to NBC's NBA coverage, and I thought maybe he was going to be their gambling expert.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there have been all kinds of rumors and allegations and facts when it comes to number twenty three. And I'm one of the biggest I'm one of the biggest MJ fans there is. And they're they're debating this nil in Ohio's high schools and they're going to have a vote on it to decide whether to allow the name, image likeness money to be going to high school athletes in the state of Ohio. And I'm I'm saying to myself, she wasn't Lebron driving a new Hummer when he was a senior in high school? I believe you was. Moe have a fantastic time out in Utah and sale to the Osmonds. If you've see any well, I'll tell.
Speaker 6: Uh, I'll say, I'll tell Emery's all.
Speaker 1: Right, Thank you so much, Moegger with the Bearcats out in Utah. Counselor what's going on? Hey, you know that thing you said about high school players? Were you kidding or no, you gotta be kidding me, You're not. That's amazing the Ohio High School. No Ohio is one of only five states that doesn't have some kind of an ni L agreement in high school, so's go right to the players and not the high school. I'm not sure exactly how it would work, Mike, but yes, Wow, there's money to be made. I guess on the on the fame and the abilities the talents of high school athletes. I guess if it all went to players from Elder, I'm okay with it. Other than I'm sure, I'm sure plenty of money goes to players from Elder. Yes, sir, Uh, what's going on on the show, I'll tell you what. We got Election day coming up on two.
Speaker 23: As we do, we are going to be talking to candidates for Cincinnati City Council and Corey Bowman, who of course is a candidate for mayor. Love that guy really stacked up this morning with that, but I thought it was important to do it. I love Corey Bowman too. I mean it's gonna be tough, however, with the way that the temperature of the city is now with respect to crime, maybe he can pull it off.
Speaker 1: I sure hope so well, you know, have teb Purevall may have to continue his Gavin Newsome training somewhere else. True Saturday Midday with Mike Allen coming up next after the show, show at Huddles there on Mama Street, if you'd like to come by. We'll love the college football on the big screens all day long, and a good time to be had by all, or at least by me. Seven hundred WLW. When I listened to Willie, I feel better about things. Remember, my friend Willie is here for you.
Speaker 23: Everyone says how smart dolphins are, but Bill Cunningham is way smarter.
Speaker 1: Let me help me please your concerns, keep you informed. Has adolphin ever won a Marconi Award? No, but Bill's won two of those suckers. Open your ears and hear my mighty words of hope.
Speaker 21: Bill Cunningham, Monday at twelve noon on seven hundred WLW