Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Welcome to We got lots going on this morning in scotslone show on seven hundred w welw.
Speaker 3: I don't have to tell you.
Speaker 2: The government's reopened and we've got Epstein files to talk about. In just so much more, a little closer to home, Cincinnati proposing a stricter nine to five curfew for miners under eighteen on short Fine. We're talking about this yesterday with other council members, so short Finding, you see, and it's gonna be a think between Daniel Street and Corey and it moved out of committee and now Consul's a whole vote for this thing. And so the idea is we have crime that since they've been cracking down on Fountain Square in downtown and OTR that we're seeing juveniles in particular move towards short Vine. And of course we had a fifteen year old charge with murder in April. Remember the shooting outside of the liquor store Halloween weekend. There was gunfly fire. A bunch of tons of UC students out there in costume enjoying the fun of Halloween weekend that was upset by gunfire. Fortunately, no one was struck there and so we're going to try another curfew here of many curfews. She is counselmber re elect. Mika Owhen's joining the show this morning on seven hundred WW Mika, welcome back and congratulations.
Speaker 3: By the way, thank you, Scott.
Speaker 4: I am very happy to do that your listeners and the voters of this city and trusting me to get back to work in the city Hall. There's so much for us to do. Safety is at the top of the list, uh, you know, and no one moves to a city where they don't feel safe until it's important that we make sure that every single neighborhood feels that way. So building more housing, transportations, so many things for us to accomplish.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised do you finish third?
Speaker 5: Overall?
Speaker 4: You know, I never take anything for granted. You know, you run a race, and you run at this it's your first time running, and so I am just grateful that again, folks, you know, decided that the work that I've been doing is valuable to moving this city forward. And at the end of the day, you know, it's like the placement is great, but for voters to say yes, I want you to represent me, represents the city at large. That is a huge responsibility, and so it's really about getting back and doing their work.
Speaker 3: Good, good, good.
Speaker 2: I want to name recognition obviously, but finishing third and ahead of another bunch of other prominent Democrats is pretty big final point on the election because this is obviously concerning as well. We know that the Charter Rights three is a Democratic sweep on council. Democrats had a great night like yourself on Tuesday election night, but relative to the Charter Rights who made a lot of noise, and I think they made some really strong arguments about getting serious about public safety. And even though they didn't place and it was a sweep, do you still listen to that and go, well, you know what, there's a lot of animosity here and we've handled things poorly relative to crime here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Do you get a message from the voters on that, you know?
Speaker 4: I would say the voters have entrusted and have looked to the city's budget to understand that we are investing in public safety and it's a continual investment, and so I think voters see that we are taking that seriously and crime. Getting a handle on crime takes a lot of components, one of which your CPD you know, environment improves, improved communities, investments in communities, young people having opportunities. These are all factors. But certainly the way that we respond and give the resources to CPD uh and the laws and policies that we would create around that are also very very important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that's the outlart too, is we have to wait for all these police recruits and classes to come to fruition before we see the fruits of that. So it's going to be a while before all this happens, and we're still going to have, sadly some crime going on.
Speaker 3: I mentioned what's going in and around you.
Speaker 2: Ce Mika Owens, one of the people who were interviewed out there, said, hey, listen, now we put a curfew up here, the crowd comes up, Well, they'll just move somewhere else. Are we just playing like whack a mole with this problem?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think we're playing black them all. I think we're being very responsive. And certainly, again, you know, you apply the resources where you see there might be problems, and at the end of the day, and it's so important that our young people feel safe. Those that are you know, going to uce to to further their education. No one should live in an environment where gunshots become the norm, and so it's it's all hands on deck. You know, we're knowing that that folks are stilling done out of vehicles, and so it's important that people keep their firearms stored properly in the city of Cincinnati, including in your home in the car. So it's you know, it's something that we're not taking our foot off the deack.
Speaker 2: Well not only that, I mean, let's talk about this from a consumer spurtsvactive here. We know the trouble that colleges are going through. The bubble feels like it is deflating and sometimes rapidly the value of a college degree for what you pay for worse as you get that's a can But as we have fewer students and schools, some schools going out of business, let's put it that way. We're seeing that across the country, if not in Ohio. Now we all of a sudden, you know, we have schools that are vying, going to be vying shortly for kids to come there. If crime is a huge factor in and around universus Cincinnati, does that hurt enrollment. Is that a concern of the administration you see be the city.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not talked directly to see it administration, but certainly if you know any time that again, people perception of safety is not one that is positive. And certainly people will make decisions on where they go, where they invest their money, where they send their young people to school, and so absolutely from not only a community perspective, but from a talent perspective as well. And so when we as not only a state but a city, are competing with other places, it's important that you know, young people feel like they can come to Cincinnati, get an education, and ultimately stay here as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mika Owens.
Speaker 2: With the problems you have with this, of course, is that this is going to crack down on teenagers, those under eighteen and short vindor you see from nine to five it's gonna be nine to five curfew. Other In fact, we have all these staggered curf kind of like parking. You know, the different parking zones across the city. I can figure that with an app but in one area, I can be eighteen and it's eleven o'clock here, it's nine o'clock here, it's a that can be kind of confusing relative to enforcement. But the more important element is the fact that you're now restricting eighteen year olds around a whole bunch of other eighteen year olds are going to be there, the bulk of those go to UC or any college for that matter, and the eighteen to twenty year old range. How do you discern the people who should be there versus the ones that should no? Or does this simply stop people from going out after nine o'clock in a college campus and generally going to school?
Speaker 3: Myself, I remember the days, you know.
Speaker 2: You'd stay up till three, four, five o'clock in the morning sometimes because the way your body clock works. How is that going to work with these students that are out spending money and joining their lives versus those who shouldn't be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly, I think this is going to be something that CPD and you see are going to have to work out through our shirt MoU. But ultimately, again, it's about making this environment safe, which, by the way, I'm sure you're aware that you know, Chief Isaac, the chief of UC suggested that this was a good step forward as well, and so you know, we're taking in all of the information and data, and you know, the city the administration is not making just decisions and silos. But you know, listening to CPD is important in this as well. But ultimately, you know this is going to take business owners. You see CPD young people communication to make sure that people are safe, but also making sure that there are no unintended consequences. And you know, as it relates to business owners, I too, you know I went to Miami and so uptown, yes was that place that you you went on on the weekends and patronized businesses And so ultimately we want to make sure that our businesses are not suffering. And so this will again be the continued part of the conversation. And I certainly am invested in working with the administration on these things, including our food trucks right, making sure that food trucks even looking at you know, where they might be able to be so that they can continue to gain business and people, you know, will patronize our small businesses.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with the eleven o'clock food truck band?
Speaker 4: Again, I think it was a response to what the administration and TGD saw with the fight that happened. You know, people congregating at three o'clock in the morning around food trucks is not the best idea, and so I think having something that is more consistent, something that also helps to create more of an economic, you know, development opportunity. When we think about food trucks that want are certified, you have the health certification, you're doing all the right things, you have a place to do business, and the city is creating a foundation for that. I think these are all things that are part of the tools and so again I think what's important is that we're not doing these things blanketly, but also making sure that we are coming back and reviewing what are any unintended consequences and how might we create solutions around that.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with the MECO.
Speaker 2: And it feels punitive to me as a business owner in that, you know, I'm out there selling a product to people I don't know their background. I had a new background checks when somebody buys a hot dog, nor should you. And then because of some few bad actors, I have to shut down eleven o'clock when I could be making pretty good money. And let's face it, I don't know what the options are. Clifton at midnight or one o'clock or two o'clock in the morning when the bar's closed. But I know, as you went to Miami, there's a lot of windows, says, food trucks up there now, robots and everything else. And so you know, you can get food on the campus of Miami. That's a little different that you see. But the point is there's a market there for that, and someone created a business and models satisfy that. It's kind of like going, hey, you know what, we had a problem with people stealing cars, are driving the recklessly on the street to downtown Cincinnati, which we see all the time now with the sheriff or the State Highway Patrol helicopters.
Speaker 3: You know what we're gonna do. We're having a curfew now.
Speaker 2: You can't drive on the streets after eleven o'clock because some people are driving too fast.
Speaker 3: Isn't it the same thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know, I certainly hear that from members of the community, and so I think our best response right now is to one create an environment that build states, you know, create a baseline for even understanding the economic impacts to our small businesses, our food trucks specifically, and so by way of you know, really creating an environment where we know where people are, you know, how to get a spot. All of those things help to really shape an environment that's probably an improvement and where we are now. But again, I am very committed to working with the administration to make sure that their solutions rather than you know, people thinking they are obstacles or cogencies. So it is something that I again I am hearing and it's something that is a priority for me.
Speaker 6: To follow up on.
Speaker 2: Council memory Colt Lock Mika Owens on the show on seven hundred WLWN talking about the curfew proposal. Downtown Law and Public Safety voted on this. It moved out of committee to Council as a whole. Now they'll vote equal, will vote on this shortly to propose as a nine to five curfew on short find. You see, because of the problems they had there, we saw some of the violent crime move from Fountain Square OTR and downtown to Clifton and that's a no go because we saw what happened on Halloween. We saw a fatal shooting back in April, and it's not good when you have college students around and you know, mom and dad foot the bill or you're you're taking out a lot of money for college education. Public safety at this level should not be concerned, and yet it is because of the nature of the urban campus. And we're talking about that vote coming up here on the show on seven hundred WLW. Back to the curfew itself, because we had the curfews downtown, o city wide curfew, the curfew of the banks. We've got this curfew you have the same time. We've been doing this since what August, So it's a fairly okay sample size, I think, and now that summer is over. But we have the curfew centers where we'll take teams and drop them off, and there's only been four teams taken the queue for curfew centers downtown. Is that because do you think the terms is working or is it simply because it's under enforced.
Speaker 4: I think it's working, and so which is a good thing. We certainly don't want to see a curf youth center filled with young people, and so I think people are being compliant and that is what that is what's important here. And so you know again and the curfew center being a place that if one has to go there there are services and support systems that that will help to not only get people to young people to back home, but also additional resources that maybe needed. So I think we're turning in a good direction right now, and again I think that's because of the partners that have helped to communicate her few boundaries and expectations, and so I think we'll have to continue to do that and continue to again and monitor what is the success and products that we're making here.
Speaker 2: I'll point out, Mika that if you go back to one of the two big events, the shooting and the gun play over Halloween weekend, but the one in April or the fifteen year old charged with murdering I think the man name is Kyle Merrick, and a horrific crime at that. If you witness the street crime, it's absolutely depraved that at the time of day that happened that wouldn't have been prevented by a curfew. So is this a time of day issue or is this more of a youth violence issue, And if so, that's greater than a curfew.
Speaker 4: I think it's both. It's important to know that young people, if they're supposed to be in school, that they are in school. For one, it's important and that takes you know, the village. This is that that helps support young people, the environment, but there is also a need that within the conversation of safe and young people, we've got to provide more hope and options and opportunity for young people. And so again if young people one, they should be in school, if a s full age, and also what kind of skills and training and opportunities and resources and outlets do we have for young people, which is why you know, coming back into city Hall, this is such a priority for me. Uh. You know, one, there are lots of games on the streets where young people have access to and so that becomes an issue as well. But it's one that the city has to be in partnership with the state, has to be in partnership with the federal government to really get a handle on this. Of course, supporting the constitution absolutely, but young people have access to fire arms and is not good for our community. It's not good for policing. And this is also part of you know, what makes officers safe to do this job. So when we think about recruiting people, you know, this is a part of that. And so we have to make sure that this job that people feel safe doing this job. We have to make sure that young people are in the right places, and so it's going to take again. This is just, you know, a continued conversation, and these are actually things that I am looking at as well in from the timers.
Speaker 3: Gay gotcha.
Speaker 2: Finally, I live in Warren County and we had the other day an incident there where an individual was driving was rush hour traffic.
Speaker 3: He passed somebody. They took offense to it.
Speaker 2: The guy comes after him, chases him, he takes off anyway, long story, shirt dude pulls out a gun and puts I think a round in the back, which car fires around at him. And the end result was this individual shot was stopped by the State Highway Patrol because somebody called it a nine to one one where he went to Warren County jail. He's being held on a five hundred thousand dollars boud half a million dollar bond for that. I don't know what his history is, but I look at that in Warren County and people at Weren't County aren't going to say for that nonsense. I look at Hamlin County, go these are youthful offenders with guns and they're released sometimes in their own recognizance extremely little bond, and I think that just encourages more of the same behavior. What message can you get to judges to start going, hey, you know what, Warren Butler, Claremont County, they don't mess around when somebody is involved with a gun crime. And if you have a gun at your disability, God help you. We should be throwing the book at you. From a federal perspective, that's a strong message to these individuals. But yet it feels like they're being treated with kid gloves. Why and what role do you have as a counsel person to make that change if needed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you're pointing out that there is you know, this is a three sixty issue, and so that means the courts have to respond as well. And I absolutely agree that someone who is a violent offender been convicted of the selonies and should not own a firearm. You know, those are reasons tonot have someone back on the street, and so I think it's important that that that we won are are sentencing in the in the right way bonds And I'm not an attorney, but whatever the maximum should be, then that's what it should be. But also what's to make sure we're creating as it relates to juveniles, we're creating more of the upstroom opportunity to say one, not only okay, you shouldn't be with a you know, a llegal firearm on the street, but also let's make sure we are moving people into more of a productive place in their lives. And so certainly this takes the court system to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: All right, how are you going to vote on that?
Speaker 4: You know today is we'll see what happens this afternoon. But I am certainly someone who is supporting public safety initiatives. We're listening to CPD on these things as well. Uh, And so I want to make sure that we as a city are responding in all of the appropriate ways that help to keep our community safe, make people feel safe, all of us showing that we can walk down M Street in the City of Cincinnati and not be alarmed by gunshots or violent crime. H And so this is us, you know, again showing up. But also it doesn't stop there. It is uh, you know, what might we need to do to improve going forward? And say those are the questions that remains Okay, so well if.
Speaker 3: Those questions are answered, you say yes on us? Yeah, okay, got it.
Speaker 4: I don't see reasons to not support this.
Speaker 2: Council Member Mika Owens, appreciate the time as always, Answeredship and I congratulations again on.
Speaker 3: The big win.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I'm looking forward to getting back to work for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go, let's go. All right, thanks, take care.
Speaker 2: We got to get a news update in and more to follow on this, and of course we'll dive into the Epstein file dump just ahead here on the Scott's Loan Show seven hundred other.
Speaker 3: Scott Flowing seven.
Speaker 2: Hundred WLWI off the show beautiful Thursday. Marnino looks a good weekend ahead too.
Speaker 3: For that matter. On the backside, what do we got today?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 2: Today is the death of the American penny. The penny that costs about four cents to mint is going to be discontinued as of today because that production costs is way outside of what it's value was, and plus they're just so damn annoying. It's going to remain legal tender offecy for a while until they fade out. I don't know how long it's gonna take a long time. Wonder are luck it's going to take to get rid of all the pennies, probably not going to see it in our lifetimes. If you're a live right now. I will say this though, that the fastest way to get rid of the penny is to get it off the market. I am a I don't know if you know this, but a licensed penny recycler, and if you want to, according to the government, you want to get rid of these pennies. Eighty forty four Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, Ohio four five two three six. If you want unload all your pennies, I'm a authorized penny recycler.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Just I want to think about it. Watch it get like a wheelbarrow full of pennies or something like that. I get anying for it. I'll just take the pennies, make it someone else. It'll probably cost you more to Well, you're rolling all those coinstar machines. How you roll that into the bank. They look at it and go, we're not taking that stuff. But you can't even get rid of pennies if you want to unless you're rolling them at yourself. So or pay the big at a coinstar machine. You know, they had the old days of walking in the bank and I got a bunch of pennies, put it in your counter. Nope, not gonna do it.
Speaker 7: Do't know way.
Speaker 2: You gotta roll it yourself too. It's like I could cheat you out of a couple of pennies maybe, and and if you then weigh them, you then could just weigh the pennies without the little sleeve on. It's just a pain in the butt. They're a pain in the butt. That's what it is as we move towards more of a cashless society. So yesterday it was the Epstein drop. We had twenty fous from the Republicans, which felt like a classic legal move to kind of obscure what's really going on here. Normally, you know, you just dump a whole bunch of information on some of lepago. Here, here's twenty thousand on top of the three that makes our guy look a little more dirty than he is, and that would be Donald Trump. It's going to be interesting, and I hope it's more interesting than sickening to see how this thing goes. Look, the fact the matter is, this is an ongoing problem, has been an ongoing problem for Trump and the Republicans for a while now. And I think what's telling about this is Trump comes out and says, look, this is the Republicans who flipped. The four of them, including Thomas Massey, were very bad or stupid Republicans as he called them. And it's a Democrat trap in the Jeffrey Epstein hoax. But remember, you got a whole lot of people to support and vote for you and campaign for you based on the fact you were going to be crystal clear in your transparency when it came to Jeffrey Epstein and his misdeeds, his crimes. And then because of expedient see if oh there's nothing, there's nothing in this report, We're going to release and release and then then there's nothing there. Well, you wonder why people, even those who supported you, are at the very least giving you side eye, at the most turning their back on you or voting against you. In this case is Laura they brought a look at it this way, said it's a hoax. But at the same time, yesterday, bring Lauren Bobert in from Colorado and they're trying to sweat her to try and get her pull her name off because you got this Democratic senator from Arizona who's getting sworn in, and they didn't want the votes to go through, and the end result as it did, because Bobert and three others stood up and said, no, I want this stuff to come out, and reports are not surfacing. He was playing phone tag with some other reps to try and get them to flip so they didn't have the two hundred and eighteen signatures. And all this over a hoax. I mean, if it's a hoax and you really really believe that, then what exactly are you afraid of people seeing? But I think it's part and parcel for what we're talking about here in that I'm pretty sure that Trump's named a lot in these things. On the other hand, you wonder about prominent Democrats like Bill Clinton. How look what happened to Prince Andrew right. I mean, they stripped him of his crime. They said, okay, you're not you're out.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 2: And you know how protective and secluded and private the royal family is. For them to do that over this and for us to go ad nothing to see here, it doesn't look good. And is there a crime that I don't know because we don't know everything that's in there. I understand there's a context that the Democrats are going to drop the stuff that they want to use to make Trump look bad. Absolutely, are there some politics behind There's a lot of politics behind this. If you look at this, is just what a partisan weaponsization is. What's going on here. Republicans are accusing Democrats are selectively leaking the emails, but they're also withholding records that named Democrats, so we think anyway, and Democrats accuse Republicans are covering for true up and back and forth. So you know, you look at that and I'm about quite honestly, I don't really care Republican, Democrat or otherwise. If you were accused of, caught up in, or guilty of doing all the misdeeds, you should be going to prison, just like others have in this particular case. I don't think there's any.
Speaker 3: Debate for that. I don't think there's any room for that.
Speaker 2: I mentioned the time he was impeccable because of Prince Andrew, and now you look at us and go, okay, what are we doing over here? It's just not negotiable that the facts are out there. Did he what level involvement did he have is a big question. What did he know and when did he know it to coin a phrase. I think there's enough cover for him right now, going okay, well, you had Maxwell come out and say, now there's really nothing going on here. Jeffrey's family's been critical of Trump after he said Epstein stole her from mar A Lago, And I don't know what that means. Stole her from our alago. Is it's stilling her because he knew what he was going to do with her, or stole her because you know, good employees are hard to find, so there's wiggle room there. And Trump is really really good to get out of legal jams. I don't know if you notice that or not. I wouldn't say I give him the benefit of the doubt. I just you need more proof as to what's going on here, the full depth of this whole thing, and you know, releasing little pieces here and there to make the other side look bad is not justice at all, as we've seen in the past. You know, did he have some level of Alma's hands in the sure he's involved, He's on planes and everything else, So you know what, just release all the names, release all the associations instead of milking this out for political sake and we'll be done with this. And I look at Michael Wolfe. That's the guy who wrote Fire and Fear. I believe it was Fire and Fury the one and just hanging around with Trump for a while. But he said, you know one of the emails, I hear Cen on plane and asked Trump tonight about this relationship with you either on air and a scrum afterwards.
Speaker 3: And this was to Epstein.
Speaker 2: And six months after Trump had declared he was running for the presidency of whatsoe that's back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: It's to be twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: And Epstein replied to wolf if we were to craft an answer for him, what do you think it should be. I think you should let him hang himself as a wolf road. If he says he hasn't been on the plane or the house, that gives you a value of pr and political currency. You can hang him a way that potentially generates a positive for you. Or if it looks like he could win the election, which you did, you could save him and that would generate a dat And that's the politics of it. That's the you know, I'm sad. That's that's pretty damning right there. And I think we as a people deserve to see more. But we now live in such a hyper partisan world that any criticism and saying, hey, you know, we should be looking at this somehow doesn't make you mag enough, and it's just you're falling for Democratic Democrat lies and like and then okay.
Speaker 3: The other side is that we're probably pretty sure.
Speaker 2: That the Clintons or someone else's in the person the Democrats are involved in this as well, because you know, this whole classism battle that we face, there's an element of truth to it in that the people were talking about they all swim in the same fish tank. You know, you think we think it's about hyperpartisan politics. I mean that's okay. Inside the Bellway, it's a little bit different, especially inside those towers, a lot different when these are very very wealthy, well connected people and you do have Democrats, Republicans, agnostics, atheists and everyone hanging out with it. You know, last time I checked, if you're gonna be a pedophile, it does not know any political affiliation. And so if that's the case, Republicans have a lot to protect as new Democrats. I mean, our Congress can't be bothered to pass a balanced budget, can't be vouchered to It's happened twice in my lifetime. I know about you seemingly can't do the job, but they're really really good about trying to block stuff like this, the real truth and stuff from getting out there. And that should tell you everything. You know, if you're a hyperpartisan, you may want to really, you know, look at that. And I'd say, look at the Democrats. You know, you're having no kings rallies to rail against Trump and the like. But again, it's what you preach is also not what you practice. Because we have a kingdom, and the kingdom was not started under Donald Trump, but was started well in the past. When it comes to executive order, and because Congress is beholden to the presidency whomever that is, they will allow either executive auto pen whatever it is, to do the bidding the presidency, and they feel like they don't have to act because they've given that power away to the executive branch as opposed to really having a balance of power. That's going on, and we saw that with what's going on with the debt or the vote on the big beautiful bill, or in this case here, it's like just we just walk away well, do we have Congress for them? The hard things are not willing to do, but really really good at making sure that the truth doesn't get out there, which makes one think there's something there and I think we deserve to see all that. Maybe we'll find out next week. We'll see at five and three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred the Big One talk back iHeartRadio up over to A Dayton and Jeff one hundred.
Speaker 3: W W Hey, Jeff, thanks for checking in.
Speaker 6: Marty Sony Hey.
Speaker 1: I was in the Air Force and in nineteen seventy nine to eighty I was at Coonsan Air Base, Korea, and we didn't use painties at all on base. The basic change if it was round, you'd round up to the nearest nickels. So it really it never mattered. And I don't think it will be a problem.
Speaker 3: I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: I mean people will say, well they'll just round up, do they won't because you have competition. You have to look at gas, you know, if the if the UDF on one side and the speedway and the other. If it's a if it's a three cent different one cent difference, people will go to the one that's cheaper.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah, yeah, issue really compared to the others that we have now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so don't figure if you want to get rid of those petties, you know where to send them. Okay, all right, there you go, eighty forty four Montcomerer News on the way in about eight minutes here on seven hundred WLW. Patrick Collin from CET is here. I love the seet guys because they're geeky and wonky and it's so what you need to know on better, better battery life for your phone. And you know, we this time of year especially see how they Kevin Hart's and every commercial and if the commercials he's not in shacks and would be the other one, and then Matthew McConaughey and a select few others. So there's really three guys who do all the commercials. And you got all three. But now they you know, Kevin Hart, the iPhone ads and then we'll see the Antifa.
Speaker 3: We got the Google phones.
Speaker 2: You know all they got all these things on them, really really cool features that most of us don't use. Now, if you're an influencer, you know there's a phone for you. It has multiple cameras and all they need is a phone I need texting, I need social media, I need the Internet. I need a phone phone, maybe a few apps, but primarily I need a battery that lasts a long time, like at a perfect world.
Speaker 3: I need a battery that lasts like Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Time you ever notice on a show streaming otherwise, movie people always in the they never charge a day. You never see them, like We'll go to sleep and then the phone ring and will wake up and pick the phone up. It's never in a charger now, but to hold on, I gotta unplug it. I got to take it up the the bag safe older, No, none of that. Where's my dad off?
Speaker 3: I'm out of you.
Speaker 2: Unless it's somebody that is about to get killed or something like that, then there's a good chance they have no cell service or they're down it's blinking or low power that one percent the phone goes off like the phone has always said, never seemed charge it, and it's always on. I would love a phone like that where I could literally have an entire season of shows and I'm always on the phone and it always has a full charge.
Speaker 3: That could be a dream. That is a dream of mine. Uh real quick.
Speaker 2: One other thing of note this morning and just kind of trivial. At that is just about the time I do the trivial kind of stuff on the show. Not that the Jeffrey Epstein stuff was that that critical, but or that trivial. I guess I should say next time I go to the state, and this may happen next week. It's not a done deal. But this is another thing to confuse your wallet. You're ready for tiered pricing at checkout based on what credit card you use. Now we hear the stories about you know, Kroger changing their tags in store, which is more about saving money for them because of the cost of seven switch out prices and do an electronic and store pricing. People, Oh, they're just going to go to this tiered model, right, It's going to be surge pricing maybe, but probably not tiered pricing at checkout based on what credit card do. So Visa, MasterCard and merchants reached the settlement, ending a twenty year anti trust battle over they're called interchange fees. So these are the chargers that banks collect for merchants for credit card transactions. They charge them a percentage and the deal is struck. And before this, merchants, for example, if you accepted Visa, you had to take all visa credit cards, doesn't matter what the brand was or what point it was.
Speaker 3: And the new rules would allow them now to pick and choose rich category.
Speaker 2: So the categories we're not talking about, you know, is it a points card to know different categories are. For example, you've got your entry level cards like the Capitol and Quicksilver. Then you got the mid market cards which are like a Chase Sapphire Preferred. You have your premiums, which are like an MX Platinum, or the super premiums, which is thousands of dollars a year, would be a black card because it's a status item. So those are like the different categories of cards that they have. So the way the new rule would work is basic cards might have lower search chargers than a premium awards card. So if you use your AMX instead of that I don't know Discover card for example, you may be paying more in that too as well. And now some merchant's course charge flat fees for this too, but the pricing can be more granular, and so the outcome they projected outcome here is you'll see more fees as opposed to refusal. Some places you can use this card. You can't use that when I get that, but buy and large. You'll check that statement and go, wait a minute, I just bought a coffee and use this card here, and the one that I just bought is twenty five cents more. Yeah, it's because of which car you use. So just FYI if indeed this goes into effect next week, well the news, we'll talk about your phone battery life, very important stuff. Just ahead, Scott Sloan, home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW Since now do.
Speaker 8: You want to be an American?
Speaker 2: It's got phone back on seven hundred wlw's all the bells and whistles like multiple camber lenses and pixels and health tracking. It's got a microwave in it, an AI and what users really care about with the phone. I think I may be wrong is battery life. How much battery can I get out of this? How when do I I gotta charge this again? I'm almost I'm done a one bar, I'm one done as it's good to oh man, you know phones right?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm not shooting a Hollywood film.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm not Steven Spielberg. All I want to do is text somebody can you help me out? Patrick Hollin is here from Cnet our friends at seen at He studied three years of phone data so you didn't have to. And Patrick, of course spend a lot of time here in cincyback and they how are you?
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm very good. Still trying to find that in my away by my iPhone, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, I think it's there. It's just buried in like one of the I forget what happens, and it's somewhere in there. But that's a disturbing parer. We've got all these cool features and bugs on the phone. The commercial we see a lot now right is, oh my god, I'm shooting a Hollywood movie on this great.
Speaker 3: Can I get a battery to last better than like eight hours? That'd be fantastic.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Absolutely. I've been in reviewing phones for almost a decade now, and the number one and number two things people want are a lower price and more battery.
Speaker 2: That's that easy, okay, And I know you probably did did iPhone too, But this this applies is most of us upgrade simply because our battery wears out right. It's not the camera, the processors. I got the latest chip on all that stuff. You know, it's basically about my battery doesn't charge long enough. Absolutely, you look at your battery and there's two things you can do. You you can either take it in and pay like thirty to fifty dollars to have it swap down and get a new one in and there'll probably last a couple more years. Or what most people do is they buy a new phone. And what's great about these new iPhones for the iPhone seventeen series is all of them have bigger batteries and it's no logic there that bigger is better and you get more battery life because of it. So you spent you looked at three years of data and testing all this stuff. But what's the most surpriing prising of finding for you, Patrick came out of.
Speaker 7: Us absolutely the going through set labs. We have decade, over a decade worth of data, but over the last three years, specifically for battery testing and charging. It's no surprise that the iPhone seventeen series has a longer battery life than the iPhone sixteen series and definitely than the iPhone fifteen series. In fact, the iPhone seventeen promacs that you've probably seen like pictures of that orange color. That one has the biggest battery ever in an iPhone, and it's no surprise it actually topped all of our battery tests. It's the highest rated phone you can get and raid or iPhone at this time. We know there's probably gonna be some more end phones coming out soon. And the other thing is there's that really den iPhone, the iPhone Air you may have heard about, and there was a lot of worries about the battery life of that because a very thin phone doesn't have a lot of room for a battery. But turns out it's battery life is it gets through a day. I wouldn't want to recommend it for a power user, but it scored an our test on on par with the iPhone fifteen from just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: So looking through on the scene at lab Data really helps us put just pretty clear in perspective which phones people should get and spend their money on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw this metric the seventeen promacs a new one. You did a three hour streaming test, so that's you know that's gonna eat ups in battery. It just it lost less than ten percent battery. That's incredible. What are they doing differently this year? I mean, it seemed like we've hit peak battery. I know, back of the day, you know you're lucky if you get forty five minutes out of a half hour out of a charge. Right, But as we progressed here in the lithium batteries and ion is a new technology that just getting is about heat dissipation.
Speaker 3: What are they getting out of it to make it less? How long?
Speaker 7: It's a little bit of both. So traditionally the iPhone has at olythium ion battery. It still does. There are some exciting Android phones coming out. One of them, the only one in the US, I believe, is the one plus thirteen that has a silicon carbon battery. And all that means is for the same sized battery as the lithium ion, you get one one and a half times more capacity to it, so you get much more battery life. But Apple didn't go that route. Instead, what they did is they just put a physically larger battery in, but then they also optimize things. They optimize for video playback so it has less heat from the processor. In the Pro models, there's actually a cooling chamber now that goes over the processor, so it allows it to work a little harder without causing more heat, and heat therefore makes things go slower and you have to slow things down. That doesn't turn off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, bigger batteries great, But does that it more weight?
Speaker 7: It definitely does. So the seventeen Pro and Promacs are the heaviest iPhones we've tested. While they have an aluminum body, so that is different from the titanium frames before, but I think most people probably wouldn't even notice that it's heavier. I will also say, though, I would recommend if you're looking at just a regular seventeen Pro, take a look at the iPhone seventeen. It's battery life is right on par with it, it costs hundreds less, and for most people, if you don't need that telephoto camera, it's actually quite an amazing deal.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're a creator, the Promax is great and you're shooting those Hollywood movies, I guess, but you know, if you're a creator three hour streaming, you're going to need that.
Speaker 3: But for most of us, we're not.
Speaker 7: So yeah, and they're still going to be. There's still outliers, right, you get the creative types you're making the movies and stuff. But you also have people who are like obsessively online and they're always on their phone, and there's not going to ever really be a phone with a battery that's going to be what they need. And part of it's a behavior thing. Part of it's just you're using it so much. But I have to say for most people, yeah, these new iPhones should do really well. I really am surprised by the iPhone seventeen from that just how much of a jump of tad the last two years. So if you're holding onto an old iPhone, like an iPhone fourteen, just know you're going to get better battery life. But if you have an iPhone fifteen, I would challenge you to think about just having your battery or place. It's much more affordable. It's going to extend the life of your phone. And you like the screen and the cameras, you've got nothing to lose.
Speaker 2: If you're a business user, maybe you'll run your own business. My wife, for example, is a real estate barker. She's on her phone all the time, talking or texting. How does that three hour streaming test where it loses just nine percent battery, how does that stack up to just using the phone is what causes the battery to cook more talking on the phone or streaming.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the biggest killer for the phone's battery is going to be your cellular connection. So if you look at the bars in your phone, if you have full bars, it means you are in a good place and the phone's not struggling to reach that antenna. But it's like missing a bar too. That's going to be that your phone's going to really be pushing to grab that five G data and stuff like that. The other thing is display. These displays get so bright and the new phones have even brighter displays, and there's some efficiency in the materials they're using, but it's still going to draw a lot of power for that. So the other thing we do is in Sceneate Labs, we not only have the three hour video streaming test, we have a forty five anecdotal test where where we just put it under stress for forty five minutes and what we're doing is we're doing as we're playing video games or streaming, scrolling social news feeds and things like that to really reflect what my people might be using it on. And again, the iPhones perform very well in that test. And our ultimate test is we actually use these phones as our daily driver while we're testing them, and so we know that if we start the day at six am with a full battery, something like the Promax is ending the day at thirty thirty three thirty five percent. Wow.
Speaker 2: Great, I think that's incredible. Patrick Collin from c NEET and they're the guys that look at the equipment, all the cool tech that we buy and break it down tell you what the value is. He study three years of phone data find out which all we care about really outside of you know, all these big cameras and bells and whistles is battery life, and which phones get the best battery life? I iPhone seventeen Promacs and the I seventeen the best. Right now, it's like a three hour streaming test lost nine percent of battery. Obviously it's going to consume more if you're using cellular and the like. So in bigger batteries don't does mean bigger life?
Speaker 6: Is that true?
Speaker 3: That's true?
Speaker 7: I mean we look at Android phones, they traditionally have much bigger batteries than the iPhone, but their software is not optimized because that Android software has to work across a variety of different phone designs and different processors and things like that. So since Apple controls the software, the battery, the processor, it's able to get much more efficiency out of these I will stay smaller batteries. They don't want you to know that, so if you ever go on their site, you don't see them say how big the gas take is, so to speak. But just know that if you have a big truck with a big gas take, it doesn't mean it gets great fuel efficiency. I So in the case of the iPhone, it's all about that fuel efficiency.
Speaker 3: Are you sai.
Speaker 2: You're saying, basically, is the iPhone just a better phone battery wise than androids?
Speaker 7: I would say there are Android phones that compete with it. So the one plus thirteen really impressed us. And there's a lot of the Chinese brand phones that we don't get in the US that are probably even better than the iPhone in some of these tests. As we don't get them here, we don't get to test them all in the same way, or they're in mandarate and things like that. But yeah, so the iPhone is not the only way to go to get a big to get a long battery life, but it's the phone that most people have in the US, and it's the most people care about the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, no, that's that's entirely juman. I'm an Apple user and it just all works like it should and maybe a little more expensive, but it works, and I pay a premium for stuff working and sinking as it should. When you go back years of like maybe I have a sixteen or fifteen or fourteen, and I'm like, and well, I mean, it's working, okay, Can I slug out for another year? You know, the way the economy is and money's tight. These damn things are expensive and I gotta extend my contract depending who I have. Is there a difference? What's it is like the sixteen plus and name the seventeen promax? I mean, is it night and day?
Speaker 7: In terms of batter life? It's not night and day. And even in terms of like cameras, it's not night and day. Obviously, if you go back three four years, you start seeing some major differences in noting battery life, but the cameras your photos will look better, have more dismos to make you take better photos, even if you're not a great photographer. You'll have a bigger screen or brighter screen and things like that. But if you really go back, like I would say for most of these phones, if you have an iPhone fourteen and you're thinking about upgrade, that's a good place to be. If you have an iPhone fifteen, and unless you really are going to get a good deal, I would say it's worth sitting out. But that's the other thing I feel a lot of people don't look at and one of our scene at surveys we found that a lot of people don't even trade in their old phones, and you could trade that in. Think of it like a car. You're going to get much better value toward that new phone. And the best time to trade in is actually when they first launched, because Apple, O, Verizon, all these all these carriers are offering these really these deals sometimes I can quote unquote pay for the whole phone, right, So you got to look out for that too, all right.
Speaker 2: Patrick Collin was seen at studying a phone data which ones had the best battery life Right now, the Apple seventeen Pro Max is pretty damn good, or the seventeen Pro for that matter, is doing really really well, and it's one I spo.
Speaker 3: Okay, the battery share. What about charging time?
Speaker 2: So if I get a battery charger bank, battery bank, or I plug in somewhere, I need to get some juice in my phone. That is a I think as an outlier, right, because not all charging platforms are built the same.
Speaker 3: Something's charged faster than others. What about the phone itself?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so Apple has increased the charging on it. So we have kind of two types of charges. We have wired charging and we have wireless or app calls it mag safe, right. I don't know if you or your wife have like one of those magnetic stocks.
Speaker 3: And I notice we got one.
Speaker 2: I've got one in my next to my nightstand. I put my phone on it on my alarm clock and that charge is pretty fast. And then she's got one she used for her phone in the kitchen and it's like half as fast.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So with those wireless charging there's kind of these different standards. So Apple, Google, Samsung and hundreds of other companies are part of the thing called the Wireless Power Consortium, and they have the standard called KE it's called you spell it out QI, and the original like standard is like very slow charging there's Key too that came out maybe two years ago, and that's a bit faster. And then the last version's Key two point two. So that gives us these twenty five watt speeds that you're probably experiencing. But sounds like maybe your wife might have an older mag safe stock, but it still has the magnet, it still does the wireless charging. And what's great is that those speeds you're not killing the battery. You're not I know, years ago we'd recommend not keeping it on the charger all the time. Most phones have SOWT for the AI that kind of solved for that problem. But with these wireless chargers, it just goes slow and steady. And for the iPhone, the wireless charging on the new phones can hit twenty five lots, which is pretty pretty fast.
Speaker 2: How much factor that I mean, okay, ten walk difference Let's say between a fifteen minutes or fifteen twenty five Let's just say that for measure how much and that.
Speaker 7: Ten wats Like if you were just throwing it on a wireless dock for twenty minutes, you're going to probably see the difference between like ten or fifteen percent more charge on the newer one, right, But then there's the wire charging, which if you plug that in and have they don't give you the wall charger in the dock. But if you get a one of the newer wall chargers that's capable of these speeds, you're gonna be able to hit fifty percent in twenty minutes on all the phones. So in our scene at lab testing, we also tested the charging speed and found that Apple's claims of fifty percent in twenty minutes where we're ballot, one of them hit forty nine. But that's margin of error.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, interesting, So yeah, look for that twenty five watch charger or the mag safe charger or the things for your phone and get the fastest when you can.
Speaker 3: So the more waded, the faster chargers.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense, yeah, because that's a big question too, is like, man, my phone doesn't charge fast enough, and that that could be wise. Well all right, so bottom line here, head into a holiday shopping season, maybe gonna last minute Christmas gift wherever it might be for the holidays.
Speaker 3: What are you looking at? What'd you get?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I think if we're just for sticking with iPhones, I would say that if you want the best battery life, you're get to go with the Promac. If you want a really good battery life, and we're not talking dramatically less than the Promac, I would say, look at the iPhone seventeen. It not only costs hundreds of dollars less, it has an amazing battery life. And that battery life is still better than the iPhone sixteen and the iPhone fifteen before it. And definitely as you get to older phones, and if you're looking into things like charging, also think about accessories. I feel like that's a place where a lot of forget. So if you want to take advantage of some of these faster speeds, take a look at the stuff that you have in your house, or you might have to get something from Apple or Amazon that supports these faster speeds to really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Utcha And once again, if you're going Android.
Speaker 7: If you go on Android, I would say the phone I would recommend and I hesitated about this is the Galaxy S twenty five Ultra. That's going to be a very good battery life phone. However, we they traditionally launched a new model in January, so I would say, if you can wait on buying an Android phone, like for a month or two that you're probably going to have a new one waiting for you on the other side of the new year. And another good one to look at is the one plus thirteen. This thing has a seven over seven thousand million our battery that's almost one and a half times bigger than the iPhone Promax. It gets incredible battery life, and it has insane charging speeds. It can get eighty lot of wireless charging. And again this is a Chinese brand, and out side the US that same phone gets one hundred watch. But we have some regulations that we have regulations.
Speaker 2: Correct, they don't care about radiation and burns or fires, answer and things like that fires in China some regular Now, okay, those Now that the the phone that Ted Danson advertises for the elderly folks, right, that one that still runs on coal.
Speaker 7: Right, I'm sure it does.
Speaker 6: But you know what, four.
Speaker 5: Just numbers.
Speaker 2: I don't need mail, I don't need to take pictures. I just need a phone with numbers on it. And I've got my numbers in my purse and I type them in.
Speaker 7: I say, look to our elders, because I think there's something to say about.
Speaker 8: Having a phone.
Speaker 7: That's that's simple, and that you're not on your phone all the time. Granted, we're able to run businesses, we're able to make movies, we're able to do all these amazing things in our phones. But for a lot of us, it's a lot of place to go when we're boord and get swelled into scrolling and doom scrolling right.
Speaker 3: Right, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: My mom passed away four years ago and she's still at eighty percent on her phone. It's incredible because it's like it's just there's nothing else going on here, all right. He is Patrick Collin with CNET. Thanks again for the I always love your stuff. Man, you guys are great and I'll always love having you on, So don't be a stranger.
Speaker 7: I appreciate. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 2: Crazy story with Denver Broncos linebacker Alex Singleton. He gets a NFL you know, random drug test shows up and it looks like, wow, you're on steroids or you have testicular cancer because your hormonne levels are utivated. He said, well, I'm not on steroids. Goes to doctor so right after the game on Thursday night, Friday morning, is in surgery It's amazing what these screenings can't catch. And that was just lucky. Doctor Asanj's on the show. Next to our weekly health and fitness segment with him, we'll talk about the test you need by age, so in your thirties, forties, fifties, sixties and beyond, which ones are necessary, which ones are just stupid. We'll get to that just to head Sloaney, seven hundred WLW. Scott's phoning back on seven hundred w LW Thursday Morning check in kind of a new segment of the show. Sanjay Schevacremani is an EIR physician here in Cincinnati, but also his entire brand is about health and food and fitness, so all those things are interesting come together. Not the kind of pushy like do a thousand push ups and only eat avocado kind of guy. He's like a normal dude. He was talking about a favorite steak a minute ago. Son Jay, welcome back.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 9: It's only morning, Sloan. It's only nine hundred and fifty push ups a day for me, not a full thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I like some of the men's magazines where I don't need to squad a refrigerator I'm good man, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm exactly.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting story that just happened on Thursday. Denver Bronco linebacker Alex Singleton, if you heard the story, had nine tackles on Thursday nights when Friday morning he's in surgery for testicular cancer. What had happened is the NFL gave me random drug screening tests to do all players, and it came back and said, hey, you're positive. And he said, well, I know I don't take steroids. The only other thing that could be with the raised hormone levels is testicular cancer. He went to a physician, he tested. It was that he went to surgery and I guess he's doing much much better. But no, hear that someone young and vibrately an NFL player testicular cass. Had they not had that drug screen that could have been fatal.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean fortunate, really fortunate and lucky. It's actually it reminds me of a story from Reddit about ten years ago where a guy posted a pregnancy test strip from his girlfriend and it was He's like, I urinated on this and it's positive. Isn't this funny? And then people chimed in one after another. That's like, hey, get checked out. That's probably testicular cancer, right, because of the hormones that are secreted when you have it. He saw a doctor and then had surgery, and so again it's the same lucky thing. The concern being, you know, what if it wasn't for that drug test, What if it wasn't for him being on a pregnancy test strip, what then? And that's the real thing about preventative care is getting ahead of things, and not by luck alone, but because you're.
Speaker 2: Pernously doing there. I know there's a lot of things in medicine like that. I mean, I'm gonna butcher this because it's been a long time. But as I recall, I knew someone who was he and I exam and they found some doesn't quite look quite right there anyway, A long story short, I think there's is there a connection between the the ocular nerve or the the eyeball and is it delivered the kidney is something along those lines, And it turns out it was to be a cancer, they will to catch it extremely early simply because the optomologist saw something like that doesn't look quite right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there are links between kind of all the organs that the kidneys can change your eyes, change your eyes, and so like, yeah, everything's connected and just getting some getting yourself looked at can lead to a lot of important findings that that can you know, save your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you as an er doc, you see this, you know, you see the result of this stuff of either the bad luck where you don't catch the stuff or people just ignoring the symptoms. You talk about preventative measures too. One of the biggest things we're starting to learn more about, and I'm a big proponent of, is vitamin D.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and this is this is something that has been around for a long time that people have talked about vitamins and vitamin D and specific But when we think about vitamin D usually you think about what it's usually sunshine, sunshine and then leading to bone health, and people think about calcium and everything. But what we're learning is there are so many more benefits to vitamin D and getting through that data of what you know, what it helps, and what it may not is part of the plan. But really, vitamin D seems to be one of the most important things that we can measure in our body.
Speaker 2: Is vitamin D going to be the new protein because you just said because everything's got protein and the protein has extra protein, water with protein and it now cereal has extra protein. We're getting protein all the time, which is not a bad thing, But are we going to have everything with extra vitamin D at it now?
Speaker 9: Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised. So you know, in time we'll see. So again, vitamin D healthy for bone health. It helps your body get calcium into it, phosphorus that goes into your bones. But also it turns out that almost every organ in our body has vitamin D receptors, So it's not just the bones, it's in our brain. So you know, the serotonin that makes you happy that relies on vitamin D our heart. There's actually a study that just came out about men with that I've had a heart attack. If they had their vitamin D levels increased to greater than forty they had a fifty percent less chance of a second heart attack after that. That was just released like a month ago from Inner Mountain Health. And so knowing that data, I think there's going to be a lot more studies into what vitamin D can do to help us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of all the supplements, is that the one you recommend the.
Speaker 9: Most Yeah, of all of them, that would be it. I mean there's a lot of stuff out there. We talked about zinc last week for getting better, but I'd say vitamin D is one of the most things you can take for your own health, and.
Speaker 2: Real quick on that to the de belaevor. But what about delivery, because there's you know, if gummies, you have the typical big giant vitamin, you have the liquid caps that I take.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the liquid caps are great, that all of them are fine, the best way that works for you. But you want to take the vitamin D three. It can come in D two form, but D three is the one you want, and really it's hard to get toxic on it, right, So these things come in international units. If you're taking more than ten thousand international units a day for a long time, that can hurt you. But usually in the range of like two thousand to four thousand and six thousand a day, you're okay. That being said, the benefits in that study were really for the people who were low to start, and so you do want to also get your levels checked so you make sure that if you're deficient, you're getting to a good level. If you're in a greater than forty range, which I know is slow and you're probably around there. Oh if you're there and there's less need for it, but you're also doing stuff to bring up your vitamin D.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Then there's the different things you can have, right, you have, you have D two, D three, you have K two. You have all these things right right.
Speaker 9: I mean it's like it's just it's alphabet soup as numericals, So really matter as long as you're getting D three, Yeah, D three is what you want, and whatever form it comes in, you should be Okay. I just I literally after seeing that internat and the house study about heart attacks, not that I've had a heart attack before, but I bought gummies myself. I okay, you know, I didn't think about it. But as we enter the cold season, there's a couple of things that drop our vitamin D levels. So, as you mentioned, the sun is what produces most of our vitamin D. It hits our skin, vitamin D is produced. But in the winter times November to February in Cincinnati, we're not getting the sunlight we need for a couple of reasons. One, we're not going out because as we all experience, it's cold as heck right now. And then two, the sun is actually at a lower angle, so it's hitting our body at this weird angle that does not produce vitamin D anymore.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's a good start. I'm real quick because you know, like like a few minutes. But Sonjay, let's talk about the tests that you should be getting based on age. You know, twenties, you're having a good by the time you get thirty, it's time to start, you know, get a base one with what blood pressure, skin, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where we want to be.
Speaker 9: So our bodies are pretty forgiving, as we've all experienced in our twenties and thirties. There's a lot of things we can do and don't have to do, but it is a good time to set up habits. That is, you know, seeing a physician or at least having your blood pressure checked annually, making sure you like cholesterol is okay, and then also developing the habits including you know, good dietary lifestyle, but also fitness and and lifting to help set yourself up for a longer, higher quality life that'll be your twenties.
Speaker 3: And maybe what about things like baseline EKGs diabetes screenings. What wage group does that.
Speaker 9: Commend diabetes screening, I'd say is in the It depends on your risk factors. You know, if you're if you're obese, if you have a family history of diabetes, you want to get checked earlier. Usually it's thirties and forties that diabetes it is starting to be checked for the most part. You know, again, I'm emergency room doctor.
Speaker 7: It is not what you do.
Speaker 9: This is the stuff and so, but what I do see is the long long standing effects or the problems that develop because people haven't gotten screened or haven't had their symptoms managed. And diabetes is one of those things that's easy to check for that would be important to check early.
Speaker 2: All Right, when you see people coming to the emergencery with symptoms, I'd imagine too many times you're not diagnosing cancer in the ED right.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately more often than you said.
Speaker 2: So let's let's rewind that. Then that's gonna come probably in your sixties fifties, we.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's that's when it's more normal. Yes, but I'll tell you I've had twenty year olds diagnosed with breast cancer that I've diagnosed with breast cancer, pancreatic cancer. It's a terrible one which is even hard to screen for. But that that I've diagnosed in forty year olds, it can happen at any age, which is not I don't mean to be doom and gloom, but it's my reality and that's what I see. Yes, it's rare, but these are there are certain ones that can be prevented. You talked about testicular cancer, So guys, just doing a testicular exam annually we can help screen for those women doing breast exams that you can screen annually for that before we get into the time of mimography stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, so then colon ascoby is the happy time right around fifty. But with PSA, with the advanced test, the PSA tests and stool tests and stuff like that, has that gone the old digit test is that done now?
Speaker 9: So less digit tests now that we have the stool test, so fortunately there's less of it. But we still check for prostate cancer, you know, manually. Although PSA has has shown some promise, it's just not a catch all and so your your physician may want to still do the digital exam to check your prostate but it's an important part still just to screen. It's a it's a thing that most men will have by the time they're eighty, they will have some form of prosta cancer. But you know, for the most part, it's not going to be life threatening. That being said, it can be, and so it's always good to get it checked and also have someone who can put it into context for you because there's a lot of noise out there.
Speaker 2: I know a couple of people wouldn't do it and then they wind up getting prostate cancer, dying and regretted it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's certainly something you don't want to have to go.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 2: It's not the highlight of your day either, nor is for the patient, but it's one of those necessary things.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: Some of these things you see about different types of scans, the calcium whatever that is where you've got the blood pressure cuff on your ankle and they jump on your chest or whatever the hell is done. I was fine, I guess I don't know what this is, but Okay, there's different tests like that that are offered, and yet there are other ones where are like get a full Hey, we're gonna be the library with this truck tomorrow for two thousand dollars you can get a full body seet What do I really need.
Speaker 9: Need is an interesting thing. I hesitate to do the full body scans or advise people to get it, just because there's so much information there. I'll tell you that, like even in our scans we do in the emergency department for reasons for symptoms, we'll find a lot of what we call incidental lomas, things that we find just by accident that probably don't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Probably benign exactly, but would work a.
Speaker 9: Patient up and and you know then they may have unnecessary scans to follow that up. Said, occasionally we do find something that needs follow up, but for the most part, we're finding more things than we need to with those full body scans. That being said, there's things like the DEXA scan, which is very low radiation X ray for the whole body that tells you a good idea about how your bone health is, how your muscle health is, and how much kind of fat you have on you And those are cheaper. They're usually run about one hundred dollars and they're definitely gaining popularity as far as getting an idea of where you are, and a lot of places are.
Speaker 3: Offering, especially for women in their sixties and sixty five.
Speaker 9: And for sure, and that's kind of where it started, was to check FROs your porosis, so basically thinning bones. But now they've they've found ways to actually expand that to say how much lean muscle mass do I have? And that can be that is an important part as we're learning more and more. You mentioned protein earlier, Yeah, it is an important part of our lives, is are how much muscle mass.
Speaker 8: Do we have?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean it's fascinating because you see these tests and go, I really need that. I know someone had added and I think the problem with that is it's so granular, right is if you looked at the human skeleton, which is pretty clean, but you know, as you know, if you look at the imaging of body, you're going to have inperfections all over. Nothing is exactly the same in everybody. And then it's going to cause you to go, oh my god, it's a tumor. Well, it's probably not a tumor exactly. It could lead you down a.
Speaker 9: Dark place, spend a lot of money for tests you don't need exactly, but there there is some valuable information. But it's also important to have someone that can help you interpret that to go forward, whether it be if you get this done. You know, I know some medspas offer it, but your primary care doctor can do it too, and so someone to help you interpret what it means so you can make the lifestyle changes you need.
Speaker 2: Perfect son Jay Shevacrimani. He's our expert on Scotsland. Shi the Fitness Guy. Fitness Doc at dine Well Doc is his handle on social health, food, fitness and more and he pops in every Thursday morning and talk about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 5: Good than man.
Speaker 3: Good to see you again, Graty, Thank you for popping in. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I got to get a time in it because we got news on the way in just about four minutes and we're I turned the shit you know Peachins here from Epstein Justice dot com.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what the bad part, the awful part about partisan politics is now you've got to defend people on your team instead of finding out what the real truth is. We'll get into that coming up next on the show seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: Don't want to.
Speaker 3: Scott Flow here seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: A couple of big stories going on of course, the government reopening, and you wonder the timing of that, along with the fact that the Democrats in the House Oversight Committee dumped a whole bunch of emails, including one from twenty nineteen which Jeffrey Epstein alleges that President Trump quote knew about the girls behind the scenes. You had a bunch of administration officials meeting with representatives they thought vulnerable. Do would agree Representative Lauren Bobert maybe not vulnerable. Those who want to play ball met with her about the effort to force a House vote.
Speaker 3: On the release. They tried to get her to pull her name. She refused.
Speaker 2: She's one of four Republicans, including Kentucky's Thomas Massey, to go against the party, which I think is interesting because we talked about transparency and let's release the records on the campaign trail, and then when your name is in there, all of a sudden, well maybe not so much. But on the other hand, you wonder how many Democrats are there, because that committee is going to be very selective about the records they release. Republicans dropped about twenty thousand on their own as well, and you wonder what names are in there. I'm in the camp of just release it all and let's figure it out. He's Pete chin Now, founder of epstein Justice dot Com. And I like it because they're a nonpartisan organization, grassroots, a bunch of folks who got together sick and tired of this and sickened by the fact that young women in particular are being victimized by the wealthy and powerful and connected, and it's been a conspiracy for a long time, and so it just wants to get the truth. I think you're with me on that peak. Just looking through your site quickly here. First of all, welcome. Secondly, I look at it and go, you know, just we'll release it all. And there's going to be Democrats, Republicans and a whole bunch of people who are caught up in this thing. But again, it gets to show you the protectionism that power affords.
Speaker 6: No question about it, Scott. And first of all, thanks of all, thanks for.
Speaker 8: Having me on.
Speaker 6: And second of all, you're right. This issue isn't going away. And the reason it's not going away is because the majority, and I mean a vast majority of the American people of both parties and those of no party all agree that transparency is the only thing that is going to sunlight is going to be the only disinfectant that can possibly erase this stain. What I call it is a stain on the Republic. We actually don't know, and this is the big problem, Scott. We don't actually know how far the corruption goes, how deep it went, who all was involved, who got paid, who was where did the money come from, and where did it all go. And at the end of the day, Scott, at the end of the day, what's most important to Epstein Justice and Epstein Justice dot Com is that these victims finally get some sense of justice. You know, this is the largest potentially child sex trafficking operation that's ever existed on US soil, and the only person that has.
Speaker 7: Faced any kind of punishment is Dwayne.
Speaker 6: Maxwell, and she's currently at the Pushift federal facility we have, having been transferred from one only slightly more onerous. So we've got a problem. In the United States. The vast majority of both parties and those of no party want proof, they want transparency, and they want these files released because irrespective of which party is involved, and let's face it, we both know that members of both parties are likely involved. Whoever is involved should have their name exposed and at a minimum subjected to public approbation. But perhaps there should be some legal consequences for some of these folks too, who facilitated the movement of money, who facilitated the movement of people. And at this point, only one person has faced any sort of consequences, And it is a national crisis in part because we don't actually know what Jeffrey Epstein's full motivations were. Was he sponsored by a government? How did he become to be a near billionaire himself, a guy who had parents that were middle class people in Queen's We don't know the answers to these questions, but the American people know one thing, Scott. There's something rotten here and it's not going to get dealt with by any other way than getting to all the facts.
Speaker 3: Well, this is this is an indictment.
Speaker 2: I think of our political parties that both are protecting their their own kind. And we'll get into that in a second, but let's get to these email releases here that just came out so democratical.
Speaker 3: These emails.
Speaker 2: Epstein wrote that Trump knew about the girls, and Trump asked Helene to stop and there's one in twenty eleven, and this is the cryptic one. And you've studied all of this documentation. There's a lot of six stuff in the Epstein files if you look under the hood, and it's it's horrible. But wrote at one time, I want you to realize that the dog in that the I want you to realize that the dog has embarked in Trump and he's hours at my house with him. He's never once been mentioned. You hear those communications. What's your analysis and what does that mean about the dog?
Speaker 6: I think all of that means is that President Trump had knowledge that Jeffrey Epstein liked underage girls. But you know what, that shouldn't really be any sort of mystery. He disclosed in a New Yorker article in two thousand and two that Jeffrey Epstein's a lot of fun. He likes girls.
Speaker 5: Some say he likes.
Speaker 6: Beautiful women as much as I do, some even on the younger side. Now, President Trump ran the miss Kean US faith aagint, so for him to say that Jeffrey Epstein likes women on the younger side or girls on the younger side, that tells you that he had knowledge. But then again, almost all of the elites in public life had knowledge that Jeffrey Epstein was a child sex trafficker. This was one of the most open secrets in American society, and people as high as Bill Clinton listen. This spans, This corruption spans the administrations going all the way back to George W. Bush and encompass encompasses all of them, both Democrat and Republican, across that time period. It was the George W. Bush administration that allowed Jeffrey Epstein to receive a sweetheart deal instead of getting buried under the prison for the clear evidence that they had of child sex trafficking. They had dozens of affidavits against him, did the Palm City police. No one was more frustrated by the outcome of that case than the police, who corrupt plected all of the evidence against him, which was and still remains substantial. So questions that remain about how that happened in two thousand and five under the George W. Bush administration haven't been answered, much less why the whole situation was ignored under two terms of Obama, a term of Biden, and of course President Trump's first term as well. When Jeffrey Trump was re arrested. Why would Jeffrey Trump re arrest it? We still literally don't have a good insight into that.
Speaker 2: There were questions and answers, largely because, well, you know, we have those no Kings protests and are you followed any of that stuff? I'll laugh, because you know, it's a lot of the same things that they're protesting against their own party does and general that's Democrats. But I think people don't realize that this is a different class of people entirely. Not necessarily the deep state stuff because that goes with the territory, but the fact that the rich, the elite, the powerful are connected and they swim in the same fish.
Speaker 3: Take. You think it's about politics, it's not. It's about us and them.
Speaker 2: And I think most Americans want to see all these documents released now. The twenty thousand released by the Republicans a huge document dump. The same day Democrats release these three emails.
Speaker 3: What's in that? Have you looked through it?
Speaker 6: I certainly haven't had time to four through twenty thousand pages the email, But what I have done is I've reviewed some of the coverage of it, and the reality is that this is this document dump without any real investigation. Just here's raw files.
Speaker 8: Here they are.
Speaker 6: This is why we at Epstein Justice. We're not calling for simply a release of the files. We're calling for a non partisan congressional investigation that would involve members of both parties acting in good faith to expose this and in reality, creating such a commission only requires a simple majority of both parties, but it requires a good faith willingness on the members of Congress to hold the executive branch to account. Look, this has covered both administrations, so or rather both parties over multiple administrations. So this really is a non partisan issue, which is why we are a non partisan organization. If you wanted to put some kind of label on it, it's like you said, it's us in them. If you wanted to get fancy, you could call it a class issue, because it really is. It's the wealthy people. I mean, we can't live in a country scott where billionaires can take our daughters and rape them with impunity and face no consequences. That's what we're talking about, and that's why we have to fight as Americans, and we urge every American to call their member of Congress, both in the Senate and in the House and say, hey, we demand you members of Congress do your jobs, form a commission and investigate this on a nonpartisan basis, so all the facts can come to life, and those who need to be held accountable can finally be held accountable. So Scott, we can finally get some sense of justice for the dozens, perhaps hundreds. In fact, the Department of Justice says over a thousand victims of Jeffrey Epstein's criminal child sex trafficking network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, here's here's the thing with and this says a lot to me and base and of course the politics of it behind the scenes, but even more so than that, I look at it and go, okay, well, Trump says, hey, there's nothing here, don't worry about It's a nothing burger, no big deal. On the trail, he's gonna we're gonna work, going to dump all this stuff. And of course back those backed up from that position. But you look at maxwell statement about Trump and she said I never saw him in any appropriate setting. You saw what Jeffria said before she took her own life, and say, you know, Trump is it's fine.
Speaker 3: If that's the case, then you think you'd have nothing to hide.
Speaker 6: Then well, and that's that's part of the irony, isn't It's got that if you ask the executive branch. And by the way, my last job in the Air Force was I was a liaison from the executive branch to the congressional branch. Which is why I can tell you with some authority that the executive branch's official position on everything is don't tell Congress anything. And so this is why Congress has to force the executive branch really to disclose much of anything, because it's the executive branch's view. And this is again across administrations, it's not exclusive to the Trump administration. But the executive branch's view is that, hey, we need this information to be We don't want to disclose anything that might embarrass the government, that might embarrass any powerful officials. We don't want to dispose anything that might harm national security, whatever that means, and so and so it's the executive branch's role to keep secrets. Well, it's the Congress's role. It's the congressional branch's role to get the executive branch to disclose those secrets. And that's and it's as simple as that.
Speaker 7: In our system.
Speaker 6: But the issue though is that in order to get Congress to do their job, especially these days, you have to have a mass movement, a real mass movement, not one that's AstroTurf with fake money. And by the way, we don't have any money. This is all a grassroots effort. We're all volunteers. None of us are getting paid, you can believe that. And so and so we're trying to urge every American to say, look, this just isn't tolerable. We need the facts in this case. And I believe that if every American comes together and frankly, the show that as many as eighty percent of all Americans and this cuts across party lines, think that the Epstein file should be fully related and that this matter should be fully investigat.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 2: Is with Epstein Justice dot Com. He's a found we're talking about this, this document done. But that's the problem, right, I mean, there are so many people, not not all, but so many people on Trump's side that are just silent about this whole thing, and of course Speaker Johnson trying his best to subvert this whole process. It shows you, as you just described, the partisanship in Washington that's killing us. If you can't get justice for underage girls of victims of pedophilia.
Speaker 3: Let's call it what it is.
Speaker 2: Then you start to lose hope here because it's so partisan and so divided. We'll protect our own at all costs, and you look at the effect we had with this government shutdown. Congress has one job. Their job is to pass a budget. I have only done it twice in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: We allow that to.
Speaker 2: Occur as voters, as taxpayers, as citizens. The fact that we have completely given the authority to the executive branch and taken away Congress is factless.
Speaker 3: They don't do anything.
Speaker 2: Everything is done, and it was on Biden and it's also on Trump relative to executive order. And so if you just have executive orders coming out, you don't really don't need Congress.
Speaker 3: And that's the problem.
Speaker 2: They don't want to do their job basically and oversee the executive branch when their person's in power.
Speaker 6: I agree with you, and that's become a huge problem. But at the end of the day, I still am a believer in the American system. I fought for this country. I served in uniform for thirty six years. I'm a combat veteran, and I believe in our constitution. That's what I swore an oath too, That's what I fought for, and I still believe in that document, and I still believe that in America, the average citizen, banded together with his fellow American citizens, can have an impact and make our Congress do what we want them to do. Because ultimately, you're right, Scott, if we don't have a Congress that is willing to act in accord with the overwhelming will of the American people than what we have as an authoritarian say, and nobody wants to live in a country that's not a democracy. We are America. We get things done because we've been together as people and we decide that we're going to do what's right. We've done it for two hundred and fifty years, and we're going to do it in this case. I believe that, and I'm gonna I'm gonna let I mean, I know that's an upbeat and optimistic note story this dark, but you know, I wouldn't be doing this, Scott, if I didn't believe it was possible. You know, great changes in America take great effort, and they take a long time, and oftentimes they take money which is something we don't have. You know, my co founder doesn't like to talk about raising money, but I have to tell you billionaires aren't taking our fall Scott, and they're not interested in this. They're interested in covering this up. So if anybody would like to go to Epsteinjustice dot com and make a donation, we would certainly welcome that to help continue these efforts in this work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, God bless it's a grassroots effort. Any money off this and I just just get the truth out. I think I speak for a lot of people going, let's find out what's in there, who's in there, and we'll make our own minds up and let justice take course. But this is not justice, not at all. Peach In at Epstein Justice dot com. Thanks for the input I appreciated got.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. I look forward to talking to you again sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, I thought it was excellent, was really really good.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot more questions and answers right now, And the politics behind the scene is icky. You know, I don't know quite honestly. I for those people who believe in God and family and country, those thing three things are coming together right now. I don't understand As someone who votes generally Republican, I tend to be more independent and make my own mind up and more to libertarian. But not many libertarian candidates on the ballot. But even there's problems with libertarian candidates. What about just doing the right thing and putting kids over politics. And yet there's a lot of people in our government and a lot of enablers that will look the other waiter in this end there's nothing there. Because while I was told there's nothing there, I didn't buy that with a Catholic church. I'm not buying it with my government. Scott's Sloan Show, seven hundred W Wealthy.
Speaker 8: The buying and selling of homes isn't for the timid or meek. The real estate world can be a vicious jungle playing with dangers and pitfall.
Speaker 5: Boss.
Speaker 8: Thank god we've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloane, the Fearless Real Tour of Sloan sells Homes dot Com, and the Queen of the real estate Jungle. It's real Estate Time, which Michelle Sloane on seven hundred W l Jelli, Hey, good morning, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Well? Hello, the sun is shining. The UH shutdown is over?
Speaker 3: Did you see the northern light last night.
Speaker 5: No, I was sleeping.
Speaker 2: It's on the story the other morning. It's like you looking out the window, going, I don't see the northern lights. You know it's because you're what.
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 5: It wasn't looking No, I wasn't looking south.
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 5: It is not south out that window. It's still in the northerly either north or south.
Speaker 2: There's no near near north. It's almost north. It's almost north, halfway between north and south of the east or west. Yeah, anyway, anyway, it's fine. We didn't see it in person because a I was sleeping. You're next bucket list because Australia was a bucket list.
Speaker 3: Do you want to see the northern line?
Speaker 6: I know you.
Speaker 5: I do want to see the northern lights. But you know what, here's the thing. I feel like that might be falling down on my list of things that I would like to do.
Speaker 3: All right, what's next?
Speaker 5: Because you know what when you usually when you see the northern lights, Yeah, you have to be somewhere where it's really cold, It's true, and yeah, oh you're not.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be outside to see the northern lights. You could be inside.
Speaker 5: Maybe I would, you know, if I could be in one of those little domes.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think they have those.
Speaker 5: There's never any guarantee that you're going to see the darn things. I've heard horror stories people spending thousands of dollars to go see the northern lights and then they don't happen. I don't know, I'm I I think that that might be falling off the list.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, fair enough. I don't know. You can do the cheap version of this.
Speaker 2: Go to Cleveland and just close your eyes and rub your thumbs really hard in your eyelids when they're closed, Look northern lights. Okay, let's look towards Canada. The north side. No, that's that's south. The other the other window, the other window.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, fine, same thing. Just fine, close your eyes.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about I imagine the topic today is going to be the fifty year mortgage.
Speaker 3: I can feel you, I could sense you champions to talk about this.
Speaker 5: It is because it is. I don't want to say that it's the dumbest thing that I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: No, don't ever say that. God, don't say that, because somebody's going to go hold my beer. We had a guy in Pennsylvan who was cleaning his shotgun loaded and his dog jumped on the bed and shot him. Oh, so don't say it's the dumbest thing you've heard today, because that would be the dumbest thing you've heard today.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah the dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're going to smell he kill him? Did he kill us? I don't know the whole story there, but the guy got shot, so oh yeah, I don't know. Yeah, that's that's pretty dumb anyway. So this idea was floated by our president and the administration showing the comparison of the thirty year mortgage with Franklin Delano Roosevelt and a proposed fifty year mortgage a lah Trump. I guess. So the fh FA, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, and the director he said, you know what, we are working on a fifty year mortgage, and it's a complete game changer.
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 3: Okay, you want to go back to two thousand and eight, Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: So the aim and the thought process, and if you dig into it a little bit deeper from someone that is our age fifty year mortgage, we will not see the end of that fifty year mortgage. If we try to live to the end of the fifty year mortgage, we're basically passing on debt to our children or whoever ends up selling the property that we own with a fifty year mortgage on it. So, you know, just if you're thinking long term, thirty years is a long time. Even depends on how much you like your kids. I guess, well, I suppose if you want to leave them with a whole budge of debt, that's fine. But the purpose of this thought process of the fifty year mortgage. The aim is to relieve monthly payments, so having payments be less and improve access to home ownership. But here's the thing. We have a low supply of homes. So that's not going to change mad because the supply and demand issue is not going to change magically because we have a fifty year mortgage. And if whose bright idea is going from the average right now is a thirty year mortgage and jump all the way to fifty that's like going you know, to eleventy billion. I mean, it just seems so far away.
Speaker 3: If it's forty your mortgages, we were like, okay, fifteen to thirty year right.
Speaker 5: And there have been talk of forty year mortgages, but I've never seen anybody use one, and I don't know how many products are available in the lending world that offer forty year mortgages. You know, here's the thing, you're going to pay more. Everybody complains about, you know, the cost of interest rates. Mortgage interest rates are high. Guess what with the fifty year mortgage, your interest rate is going to be higher than it would be with a thirty year mortgage.
Speaker 6: Why is it?
Speaker 5: Well, because you know what it's it's more of a risk for the lender. You know, it's all about risk. It's a higher risk for the lender. A fifty year mortgage means the lender has their money tied up for fifty years, So there's more risk for the lender. The lender is not going to take any risk, Are you kidding? And then think about it. So usually when you're in a thirty year mortgage, the first couple of years, not couple even the first ten years, you're paying mostly interest. You're not really paying down the debt, got it. And so if you think about a fifty year mortgage, just double it the first twenty years. Maybe you're not even paying down any debt. So why don't you think about Okay, I just thought about this in my brains while we were talking, So this should be really good real you know, why not just do an interest only loan because you're not building any equity with that, and those products are available. An interest only loan, you pay less and you never ever basically as you either have to sell the property or you have to get a different product to get another loan, but you never pay down the debt. So if you take it two hundred thousand dollars loan and you only and you're an interest only loan, you just pay the interest on that loan, you're never.
Speaker 3: Paying back the isn't that just rent?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: But you still own the property?
Speaker 3: No you don't. The bank owns the property.
Speaker 5: Well okay, all right, well technically you are right you're paying rent. No, you're right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well what's the advantage of buying a house if you're just paying the interest? I it's amazing that they can get away with this kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, and I don't know that they will, you know, I don't know that this is actually going to become a sing when you look at it. So how much are you going to save? Right, that's the big question. So the thought process is younger buyers can't afford a mortgage, so let's get them into a fifty year mortgage. If you're twenty five years old, you know you'll be seventy five. You're not going to pay it off. And here's the thing, how long do you stay in your home? I always tell people, even with a regular thirty year mortgage or a fifteen or whatever, when you're buying a home, your best bet is to stay in that home at least five years so that you can build some equity.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing. Fifty year mortgage, You're never going to build equity. You are passing deck to future generations. You're never going to get ahead. You're always going to be chasing your tail. And that's the one thing that makes me absolutely crazy that anybody in an administrative with a brain. Yeah, and I know that everybody, everybody in my industry is just going absolutely berserk. It's a great talking point. And the savings isn't that much.
Speaker 2: It's like, so I saw someone do the maths on this, Michelle, and I think like a half million dollar loan. It was I think it was basically two hundred dollars less a month, I mean two hundreds, I mean fifty bucks a week. You look at well, you know you're paying, but you're just paying the bank. It's like having a credit card never paying the balance off.
Speaker 5: Correct. Absolutely, it is that you're constantly chasing your tail. So if you have a thirty year mortgage at six point twenty five percent, your monthly payment is going to be. This is for a four hundred thousand dollars home. So just try to do some easy math. So a four hundred thousand dollars loan, which is pretty typical, maybe a little high for our area, but anyway, so thirty years, six and a quarter monthly payment is about twenty four hundred dollars. Over thirty years, you end up paying about eight hundred and eighty seven thousand. So you're doubling what because if you make every payment, if you include all the interest on a four hundred thousand dollars loan, you're paying four hundred and eighty seven thousand dollars in interest, all right, And you're thinking about this, it's like, Wow, that four hundred thousand dollars home is really worth eight hundred thousand dollars at least, it's what you're putting into it now. If you do a fifty year mortgage, and the estimate would be about six point eight percent, so about a half a percent higher. Your monthly payments are twenty two hundred, so that saves you two hundred dollars a month. Okay, spread out over six hundred months, you're paying one point three three zero over a million dollars one point three million dollars for a loan for a four hundred thousand dollars house.
Speaker 2: The other side of this, too is a lot of people will tap into home equity in order to fix it up, because houses, while they break the fixed stuff, where you going to.
Speaker 3: Tap into that money in the future, Well, there won't be.
Speaker 5: You won't.
Speaker 2: You won't have the money. It's kind of like we saw, you know, like the subprime auto market. For example, right car everything's going up with inflesh and so car prices go up, so order dealers just tack on extra months to the loan for if you're less credit worthy, will just stretch it over five, six, eight years or whatever it is. And so just like the housing crisis in a eight or with kind of cars a little less than a home because of property values and such. But nonetheless does go okay, well I repossess it or I'll turn my keys in and the lenders wind up getting big losses as well. And if you trade your car and you can't afford a new one because you know more than your car's worth, how's that different than we did in O eight?
Speaker 3: Isn't that setting this up for that?
Speaker 5: I believe, in my opinion, in my humble opinion, it's setting up future generations to fail. And you know, there are already future generations, our kids, our kids' kids, they're already at a disadvantage to a certain extent financially because the price of you know, the price of entry is so high. This is this is not the answer. A fifty year mortgage is not the answer. Now, some people, you know, you may hear people in my industry even saying, oh, well you can just refinance. Yeah, that's more money in the pockets of lenders.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: Every time you refinance, you got to pay closing costs. Most of the time. Again, there are some lenders who will waive that if you do it within a certain period of time, or some lenders will you know, they'll offer some incentives or lower but no matter what, you're not if you get a refin aanswer, you're gonna get a new loan on a property. At any point you're gonna pay. You're gonna pay extra, and that extra will add up to months worth of monthly payments. So you're saving two hundred dollars a month, But yet you're not building equity. You're not building wealth. And that's the one thing that I've always been able to say is when you buy, it's the greatest investment of your life, when you buy property.
Speaker 2: It feels like Michelle, that this is going to be one of those almost like the payday lenders and to get a bad report, and people need payday lenders. I'm not knocking it. I get what it is, but you know, rent to own schemes and stuff like that as wells. People are just gonna look at the monthly cost, go hey, I'm saving two hundred dollars a month, sign me up, and then they'll get hamstring with this loan and then later complain about it. So I think this might be predatory in a way, And I hate using that term because it's so thrown around these days as well. I mean all loans feel I mean college loans feel predatory to me.
Speaker 7: So what do I know.
Speaker 2: But in that case, you're gonna I think you're gonna have that. People going, wow, you know, I just want to have a safe place for as crime continues in urban areas, for example, people going, look, if I can get this for two hundred less a month, I don't care that it's a fifty year loan. I just want out, sure, But you wonder if that sets them up for success or failure.
Speaker 5: Well, the one thing is, and I'm glad we're talking about it because when we were getting those predatory loans twenty years ago, when I first gotten to the business, and when I was trying to figure out how in the world are buyers getting money back when they buy a home, because there was they didn't have to have a down payment, they didn't have to have there was. It was a setup to failed situation. Now, and you're right, it's it's like buying a car. You know, they're not going to tell you the big numbers because those are scary. Yeah, this is a car for forty thousand dollars or whatever. How much can you afford to pay? Per month, and then they're going to put you in a product that will get you to that number, But then they won't tell you all of you know, you'll have to really ask some hard questions as to what does that mean? You know, Okay, you got me to my number. I can afford it today, But what happens if I lose my job? What happens? Do I have any equity if I need to go and resell and sell my property? No, you're not going to if if hope fully that home has gone up in value, if you've been and there's a lot of ifs, if you've been in that home long enough, if you, like I said, it's to me, it is a setup for failure. And guess what, people are going to stay in their homes longer. There's not going to be the turnover that we need for younger generations. So right now, everybody's stuck in that home with a three percent mortgage that we got whatever five ten years ago, and nobody wants to get rid of that three three percent mortgage. So they're holding onto their home and they don't want to buy something for seven percent mortgage. So what is this going to do. It's going to paralyze our country. I'm sorry, I'm going to get a little fired up about this.
Speaker 3: I think I love it. I like feisty Michelle.
Speaker 2: That's the that's my girl right there, smart cookie, my wife, Michelle Sloan with Remax Time and Sloan Cells homes dot Com Open House Show. That's on the iHeartRadio app there or Apple wherever you get your podcast, and of course uh on YouTube as well too. So thanks again, love your good stuff. Let's not do a fifty year mortgage unless our kids really piss us off, and then we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna do it.
Speaker 5: We're gonna do like three of them.
Speaker 3: You can one hundred year.
Speaker 2: Mortgage come with its generation, all right, don't upset mom?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Love you gotta go see I gotta get news in. We've got uh Willie standing by. I believe Willy's here today. Maybe not, I don't know. We'll find out who it is coming up at twelve oh six here on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred wtibity since now