Speaker 1: For the back to back World champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach. Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they can. They print money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue. It's not fair are making plans again.
Speaker 4: It's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame Host of the World Champion La Dodgers, tam Cats.
Speaker 5: Hi, everybody, and welcome too. Moo Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. May the fourth be with you on this Monday May fourth.
Speaker 3: You're a home of the World.
Speaker 5: Series Champion, back to back champs Dodgers, who are now twenty one to thirteen on this season. After dropping two or three over the weekend in Saint Louis, the road trip continues. Next stop Houston, Texas, as the Dodgers got a three game series against the Astros.
Speaker 3: Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound in the series opener.
Speaker 5: First pitch from the seven to one to three is coming up at five to ten PM. Coming up over the next hour here on Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck you're gonna hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitching matchup as the Astros go with an opener, David Vesay. We'll check in with us throughout the pregame. We'll have your Dodgers Magical moment.
Speaker 3: Charlie Steiner. We'll be hearing about thirty minutes.
Speaker 5: Shortly, we visit with Kirsten Watson from Sports and at LA and in just a few minutes we'll head out to the galloping Ford broadcast booth. And here from Tim Neffett and Rick Monday. Well, yesterday the Dodgers riding at four game losing street the Cardinals riding a six game winning streak, something had to come to an end, and it did with Justin Robleski on the mound. A leftander was fantastic. Six shutout innings. He allows just six h t along the way. He had traffic on the base pass in five of the six innings, but was able to get out of it without giving up any runs. He didn't strike out anybody zero, had one walk through eighty three pitches. He got first pitched on sixteen of the twenty four batters that he faced.
Speaker 3: He was very efficient.
Speaker 5: He had good defense behind him, and the offense finally woke up. Yesterday began in the second with Andy Pies.
Speaker 2: Oh two pitch from May and Andy Elonza to left field. That's gonna get down and go to the wall. Around third is Tucker. He'll score. Here comes Muncie, He'll be held at third. And end of second with a run scoring double is Andy Pie. His and the Dodgers strike first this afternoon at Saint Louis and lead at one nothing.
Speaker 5: Andy Pie has RBI double Dodgers with a one to nothing lead, and then Heisan Kim got involved with an RBI single. Dodgers with two runs in the second, inding three hits, two doubles, couple of RBIs to take a two to nothing lead. Then of the fifth, the Dodgers with two outs, a little magic from Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 6: Dustin Mays O two and Freeman. They hit up the.
Speaker 2: Middle and Kim's gonna speed around third come into score. It's three to nothing Dodgers that are two out. RBI six from Freddie Freema.
Speaker 7: Where that line drive almost took out the second base umpire Chris Guccioni, who was positioned on the infield grass he had to hit the deck.
Speaker 5: Freddie Freeman delivers RBI single back up the middle Dodgers with a three to nothing lead. That was all Justin Robleski would need. He go the sixth shutout innings. Will Klein took over in the seventh, a one to two three inning. In the eighth, with two outs to give up a walk to Jordan Walker, then Alex Burlson with an RBI single that scored Walker, who was running on the play, and that made it a three to one Dodgers lead. In the ninth, Alex call delivered with a pinch hit RBI single to left to tack on one more for the good guys as the Dodgers then handed it over to Tanner. Scott in the bottom half of the ninth inning, struck out two of the three batters that he faced. Ball game over, Dodgers snapped their four game losing streak yesterday with a four to one win over the Saint Louis Cardinals. Justin Robleski improved a five on the season. Former Dodger Dustin Megans tagged with the lost Tanners. Scott his second save of this season as the Dodgers win despite not homering in their sixth straight game. They improved a twenty one at thirteen overall, still a half game up in the division over the San Diego Padres in the NL West, and now they're in Houston for a three game series. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mount in the series opener, first pitch at five to ten, and with more, let's head out to the gallopin Ford broadcast booth as we say hello to Tim Devertt and Rick Monday, guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Tim Rufe is closed here at Dykin Park in Houston as the Dodgers open up a three game interleague set with the Houston Astros. Dodgers twenty one and thirteen coming off a win four to one against the Cardinals yesterday afternoon in Saint Louis. The Astros won an extra innings game at Fenway Park in Boston yesterday. They are fourteen and twenty one overall. They find themselves four and a half games back in the American League Western Division, and this is their sixth game in the last five days because they had a double header mixed in there in Baltimore on their road trip, so they're a little pitching challenged, and tonight Stephen Okert, a reliever left hander, will start as the opener. We expect the right hander Ryan Weiss to come out of the bullpen and pitch the bulk of the innings and he'll go against Yoshinobu Yamamoto. The right hander is two and two of an ERA of two and Yamamoto coming off a subpar start in his last outing. In the meantime, the Dodgers five and five in their last ten games that are made on top of the West over the padres by half a game and moa a shift in scenery today in a shift in routine for one show, hey Otani with the roof open today he came out and hit outside, which he doesn't normally do.
Speaker 7: Well, and trying to iron some things out. Exactly what he's trying to iron out, we're not privy too, but on the field and taking banning practice, which I think is something you need to do quite frankly, when you go to a new ballpark I've been in for a while.
Speaker 6: Reason it's a different background.
Speaker 7: See the background you're going to be looking at during a ball game itself, but picking up the release point with a pitcher and being able to know.
Speaker 6: Feel comfortable and doing it.
Speaker 7: The other part too, is Otani the last nineteen games is hitting just two nineteen. He's over his last fourteen and just trying to get out here. Normally hits in the cage because he can get all the telemetry that he needs in the batting cage instantly look at it and not have to take round after round on the field during batting practice with her the rest of the teammates.
Speaker 2: It was about two thirty in the afternoon. I just got here, sat down, I watched him walk in the cage, and then settled in for the show. And he put on an absolute laser show. I mean he was seeing the ball fine, trust me on that. He hit the ball everywhere and about as far as you can hit it in a number of places in this party.
Speaker 7: I looked at some numbers earlier today, and he's not making solid contact at the present time. He's getting jammed a lot. We're seeing clubs jam him initially and then going.
Speaker 6: Away on that end of it.
Speaker 7: The other part too, is you know, he's hitting more fly balls with not a whole lot of miles per hour behind him at the present time, Either so hopefully that's going to be changing. Yeah, the Dodgers, as far as the power department, about the fact six consecutive games without hitting a home run eight games in a row back in July twenty fourteen is the record. Don't want to approach that. But it is a dry spill, to say the least in home runs.
Speaker 2: And this park is pretty home run friendly too, especially in left field. It's three point fifteen down the line. You've got a scoreboard down there and you've got to get it up over the scoreboard. But it's called the Crawford Boxes because the back of that wall backs up to Crawford Street. So a lot of home runs have been hit to left field here. There's a big wall in left center. Dead center's four to oh nine. It's a big right center field here, a lot of room in the outfield. But it's an interesting ballpark the way it's constructed. But it is home run frontly, and talk.
Speaker 6: About the ballpark here for a moment. I think this is a part two.
Speaker 7: That's imperative for now to take some balls in the outfield during batty practice. Why it's a very strange outfield. You've got nine different angles on the wall to begin with, you've got that short porch and left you're just referring to. Then it drops back again and you've got some columns, Yes they're padded, but some big columns. So a lot of different angles. And this is also an area if the ball is hit to the outfield, to the guy that's standing next to you, you say, for example, you're the center fielders hit the left field, come over because you're gonna get some strange hops off the wall.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Astros, Game one of this three game set begins in just a little bit, tim.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you guys, as we call you down to first pitch. On this Monday night, Dodger fans get that game day meal on a Shaky's Pizza parlor.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that sound good for dinner? Yeah? What are your Shaky's.
Speaker 5: Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. We're off and running here on Dodgers on Deck. Coming up, you're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. Charlie Steiner will join us, David Vase joins us.
Speaker 3: Throughout the out of course, we'll hear from Luis Cruz.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Spanish radio broadcaster former Dodger infielder himself. We'll also get your Otani rewind your magical moment. The latest on the Dodgers' injury news is some Dodgers are getting close to returning to the big league team.
Speaker 3: More on that coming up.
Speaker 5: But up next we'll visit with Kirsten Watson from Sports to at LA. Thanks for being with us on this Monday night, Dodgers in Houston to take on the Astros. First pitch at five to ten. I'm Tim Katz's the back to back world champion Dodgers. Ahudi you a network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA. Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Astros starting a three game series in Houston. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound. First pitch coming up at five ten.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewhy.
Speaker 5: Well, the Dodgers beat the Cardinals yesterday four to one, but it was a quiet afternoon for show he Otani, who went zero for three with a walk, hit by a pitch. He's getting on base via the walk and hit by a pitch. Over the weekend in Saint Louis, bud Oh for fourteen in his last four games there, including the finale against the Marlins, his longest hitless streak since going five games without a hit as a member of the Angels back in May of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 3: Hey Kirston now joined from Houston.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donating today your car could be picked up tomorrow. That easy donat now Carsfrokids dot Org. That's Cars with the K and New City, a new series and hopefully a new offense. Maybe they can build on what they did yesterday Kearson and getting the win against the Cardinals.
Speaker 8: You know what, that's really the hope, you know. Yesterday, obviously we did see a good offensive performance. They were able to get things going early. That was one of their keys golling into the game. They scored two runs in the second. They were able to add on really passing the baton. So they do want to carry that over at today. Obviously the results. Talking to a few of the guys last night, they still felt like it wasn't the offensive explosion or the offensive outpour that they really wanted to experience. But going into this series, not only is there just I think a better feeling amongst the group picking up the win yesterday and just coming in it's a new day, it's a new series. But with talking to a few of the guys, they were saying, this is a very hitters friendly ballpark and you're going up against a pitching staff that is the worst. They have the worst eera in Major League Baseball. They are heavily taxed right now today. Yes, they are starting with a lefty who's an opener, and then they have another guy and wise who can take down multiple so it's a good chance that they could be seeing him for two or three at bats. But you're going up against a team where if you can find ways to be aggressive and get to him, get to them, i should say early in this game. And looking back for that power, they haven't had a home run in six games, and so they do feel like this truly could be the perfect recipe for this offense to just have a breakout performance. So the guys are feeling that, I think that's very telling as to what they're hoping to achieve this evening. And so hopefully all the lines can kind of get together and work out well.
Speaker 5: The offense starts with the guy at the top of the lineup show, Hey Otani, when he goes, the Dodgers goes. There's no secrets, that's what happens with the offense is good. But when the offense is bad, you kind of got to look at Otani in his numbers and yeah, sure enough, he hasn't been very good lately.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, obviously the big stat line that kind of pops out is theer for seventeen recently, and so are coming into this game. I should say he was actually on the field this afternoon taking batting practice early in the day, and you know, whenever he does that, it's clear that he is working on something. He's trying to see how the ball is playing, he's looking for a certain feel in the cage. And so he was out here. He did about three rounds of BP, and on that final round he was using all.
Speaker 3: Parts of the field.
Speaker 8: He was hitting scoreboard, going at the upper deck, he's hitting the train tracks in here. So it was he did punish show towards the end of his batting practice, and even you know, Dave Roberts was saying, maybe that's just kind of that extra boost that he just needs right now to be able to see how the ball can play here, how he can have that impact to get back to it. So the hope is he can translate that into the game this evening. But for him, he's been transparent that, you know, getting back to his two way true self. And it is challenging when you have to focus on, you know, your pitching and kind of your bullpens in between starts, but then you're also trying to manage getting back on track offensively. Obviously there's not that many hours in the day, and so it does create a challenge. I think literally today's a perfect example. He did VP and then he went and changed, he put on his jersey and he was out there playing catch and I believe went into the bullpen. So you know, it's a lot of work that he's putting in to be ready for his start tomorrow. But the hope is just he can really find ways to kind of lean into what he was able to achieve and feel in the cage today and turn that into.
Speaker 1: The game, let's hope.
Speaker 5: So because it all starts the numbers seventeen top that Dodgers line. Thank you here, so check out you after the game. Still to come here on Wrongco Becauseino Dodgers on deck. We'll dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. David Vats will join us throughout the hour. Of course we'll hear from Charlie Steiner, but next your injury report and we'll hear from the manager, Dave Roberts his pregame thoughts before the Dodgers and Astros first pitch from Houston on this Monday's at five to ten. I'm Tim Katson. This is the back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on.
Speaker 9: Deck on your home for the Blue All Season Law Law.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Astros with Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the Mount Houston going.
Speaker 3: With the opener, first pinch coming up in five ten.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury Reports.
Speaker 5: It by UCLA Healthy, Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Edwin Diaz on the IL after having an elbow surgery, been Consparraus on the IL with right shoulder inflammation. Mookie Betts accorded Dave Roberts is training in the right direction. He could go out in a minor league rehabit signment soon, Tommy edmand though a little bit of a setback.
Speaker 3: He is not progressing as well as he had hoped.
Speaker 5: We had heard from him over the weekend with David Vasa of course right here on Dodgers on Deck, So you already knew that. Blake Snell looks like one more minor league rehabit signment under his belt. Coming up, we'll get more from DV on Snell. Zilla brock Stewart has joined the team in Houston. His rehabit signments are over and he will join the team sometime this series. Landing Neck, Kevin Stone, Keith Hernandez Bruce, dargrat Ter all working their way back as well. All right, let's head back out to the seven to one to three and check in with the Dodger manager.
Speaker 6: Anything else with questions for Dave Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the pressure in the dugouts with Dave.
Speaker 10: Roberts, I like where our guys their heads are at. There is a you know, new sense of kind of revitalization. I think walking around the clubhouse today. You know, it's a fun team to play against. It's a pitching staff that certainly has scuffle a little bit, and if we can get into some good counts, take advantage of some hitters counts, and yeah, it is a hitter friendly ballpark, so you know, hopefully we just take good at bats and grind and yeah, mixing some slug too.
Speaker 8: Does it with it being a bullpen game for the Astros, could that pose any challenge just because you're not seeing I was using so many pitchers in one game, you know.
Speaker 10: I think that you know, they're still going to have the other guy. Wise, I think it is go deep and take the bulk. I think it's just one of those things that obviously we got two of the first three guys that are being our left handed, so to get Ochred in there to take down the first inning, it makes sense. But they've only got a you know, three or four guys that are available out of the pen tonight, so hopefully we can do our job and you know, try to really tax them after tonight. But if you look at that lineup over there, there's a lot of guys that have a lot of hits in their Backs. The baseball card is pretty dang good, so I know that they're going to get up to play us, so we're gonna get their best, all right.
Speaker 3: There's a manager, Dave Roberts down of the dugout.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball brought to you by a Morongo Casino Resort and Spa A grand Slam, four good times.
Speaker 3: When we continue, we'll hit it out of the park with David Vassay. That's next. As we leads up to Dodgers and Astros from Houston.
Speaker 5: Tim kas is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers audio.
Speaker 1: Now, as we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Astros from Houston on this Monday night. Yoshinobu Yamamoto in the mount first pitch at five ten touches. Baseball brought to by Alpateo, born in LA and made for your game day. Al Poto brings authentic Mexican style tomato, sauces, salsas and hot sauces right to your plate. L Pato, It's gourmet and a can.
Speaker 1: Tim kits On Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 5: All right, DV Dodgers road trip continues as they make their way to the seven to one three to take on the Houston Astros after losing two to three in Saint Louis Blake Snell.
Speaker 3: What are the Dodgers gonna do when he returns?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: We don't fully understand what the Dodgers are thinking with Roki Sasaki except they're trying to give him every opportunity to be a starting pitcher. And obviously they believe that he can be one of the better starting pitchers if you go back to his initial press conference, but the results haven't reflected that it'll be hard to sell justin Roblesky going back to the bullpen in a long man role after what he's done with this opportunity. And quite honestly, there's an argument to be made that Roki Sasaki has pitched as well as Emits and if not better, especially in the last two stars. So I just feel like when Snow comes back, they are going to keep Roki in the starting rotation. And right now, I feel like if you had to handicap things. Maybe Emid Shehan needs to work out things to get more consistent with his velocity because he was all over the place in Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: David is brought to by the Ford Maverick Motor Trends of the North American Truck of the Year, the Ford Maverick Everything you need in the most innovative truck with forty two miles per gallon the best MSRP. If its category is time to see Ford in a new light, go to your Southern California have for dealers today, David. Do the Dodgers have a new celebration.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you caught this yesterday, but it looks like kind of like a drop kick. And the people on social media, as always, don't have a clue. They're trying to say the Dodgers started this celebration because of Dalton Rushing and him almost kicking Yoshi Yamamoto when he made the last out on Saturday. Nothing to do with Dalton Rushing. Whether or not you like this celebration or not, the facts are they came up with this celebration to kick the bad vibes away. M Yeah, so it has nothing to do with Dalton Rushing despite all the bloggers out there trying to make a connection. That's unfair to Dalton Rushing. And I feel like everybody needs to pump the brakes on a really good kid, and it seems like whatever he does is under a microscope for some reason these days. But that new celebration where they're doing a late kick has nothing to do with Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 5: Good to know, all right, David Show, Hey, Otani named the picture of the Month in the National League.
Speaker 3: Did you vote for him?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 6: I did not.
Speaker 4: He's had an incredible month. But what swayed me was Tyler glass Now making five incredible starts, having one of the having the most strikeouts of any Dodger, and also the fact that he almost came this close to throwing a no hitter in San Francisco. That last start that glass Now made in San Francisco really left an impression on me. Eight scoreless innings, only one hit. So I leaned towards Glass now, But obviously the voters out there, anything close, it's gonna go to Otani, which you know, goes back to the end of the year. If Otani can qualify for the Era title, which is around one hundred and sixty two and two thirds innings. If he qualifies for that era title and pitches the way he pitched in April, I don't see any way the Major League Baseball voters writers out there don't vote for him for the cy Young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: We won't tell him that you didn't vote for him, David. We'll keep that between just us, all right.
Speaker 4: I mean, everybody votes for him.
Speaker 6: Give somebody else a chance.
Speaker 5: All right, We'll give somebody else a chance. With Charlie Steiner coming up in just a little bit. Thank you, DV as we continue here on Marongo because you know, Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from Charlie. We're gonna hear from Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Spanish broadcaster Luis Cruz coming up. We got your magical moment, though, don't go anywhere. We lead you up to Dodgers and Astros on this gloomy Monday here in southern California. Hopefully the sky is open with offense for the Dodgers in Houston.
Speaker 3: First pitch at five to ten.
Speaker 5: I'm Tim kase Is, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This this Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers sam a Houston Astros as they started a three games series. Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mountain for the Blue who are going with their blue tops on the road. Tonight, first pitch coming up at five to ten.
Speaker 11: About hot dog who wants the hot Hut.
Speaker 1: It's time for the hawfe Magical Moment. Pitch Magical pent by Hawfey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 5: We go back eight years, well, eight years twenty eighteen. May fourth, twenty eighteen, the Dodgers and Padres squared off in Monterey, Ray, Mexico. And on this day the Dodgers with a combined no no.
Speaker 12: Lippertur has the sign from Grandall. He said at the belt.
Speaker 11: Here comes the pitch tory on and miss strike three, a no hitter, the first combined no hitter, and tonight four for the price of one, beginning with Bueller, then sing Granni, then Garcia, then Liberatore, and on the thirteenth and final strikeout of the game, the Dodgers shut out the San Diego Padres on no hits a no hitter south of the border in Monterrey and the fireworks go off.
Speaker 5: Dodgers with a combined no hitter against the Padres eight years ago. Today Bueler sing, Granni, Yimi Garcia, and Adam Libertor, the four Dodger pitchers combining for the no no This Hofey Magical Moment project by Hoffey Hoigh Dogs, Haffee, so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 3: Hoffey hot Dogs, Local and so great.
Speaker 5: When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with the man you just heard, Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 3: That's next.
Speaker 5: So he leads you up to first pitch of Houston Dodgers and Astros. I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on dech on, your home for the Blue all season.
Speaker 5: Long, Dodgers and Astros. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Steven Oker at the pitching MATCHO Oker at the opener for Houston Today. Time now for the Verizon startup, as we are thirty four minutes away from the start of the game. Now, Verizon, you can lock in your low price for three years so you can save big visit the Verizon store. Today we hand things off to Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 12: All right, Tim, Tonight we begin with some sad news but passing of John Sterling died this morning at the age of eighty seven. He'd been in ill health the last few weeks.
Speaker 6: Talked to him just a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 12: In fact, John began in New York, at least we began together in nineteen seventy eight. He was doing sports talk on WMCA. Then he would broadcast for the Nets and the Islanders, before going to Atlanta and announcing for the Braves and coming back to New York in nineteen eighty eight to begin his tenure with the Yankees. And John and I worked together for three years before moving out here to Los Angeles. And of course you know John as well, Oh your memories of him.
Speaker 7: Well, I know that you and I have talked about John a lot over the years, not just now. In reflecting back, he was very unique, no question about as you mentioned, and he really left a big imprint, not just with the New York Yankees, but I think in broadcasting on top of that, the way he made calls, they were unique.
Speaker 6: They stood out.
Speaker 7: It fit with the Yankees at that particular time, in a bond that he had with the organization. It's one of those areas that we lose friends. But he just made a big, big impact, not only again not only with the Yankees, but in broadcasting.
Speaker 12: I can always hear him, whether I walked into the booth, talk to him on the phone. He say, Charles, my boy, we passed away this morning. He really was an icon. So now to the Dodgers and the Astros.
Speaker 6: The first of three.
Speaker 12: The Dodgers four game losing streak finally came to an end yesterday at twenty one and thirteen first place, a half a game in front of San Diego. They play the Giants tonight. The Astros fourteen and twenty one. They're in fourth place in the American League West, four and a half behind the Athletics, one game in front of the last place Angels, and Tonight Yamamoto goes for the Dodgers. It will be an opener for the Astros.
Speaker 7: Stephen Okert and Okert a local product out of southern California at Riverside. It was born and then out of the University of Oklahoma. So he'll be in there for one inning, maybe in a batter or two in that second ending, depending on who's coming up in the score of the ball game, very very early. But it's going to be really with Yama Moto. It's going to be an interesting situation because here's a couple of numbers with Yamamoto that I found.
Speaker 6: He gets ahead in the count.
Speaker 7: He's been lights out, one sixty three batting average against. This number that's coming up surprised me this morning when I found it. When he's behind in the count, which he hasn't been that often, it's a three ninety five batting average against. So there is a little motivation to make sure you get ahead in the count very early.
Speaker 12: The Dodgers pitching has been outstanding. The starters in particular. The Dodger starters collectively are fifteen and seven with a two ninety one ER. The Astros, on the other hand, ten to eleven in ERA five at a third next lowest ra for starting staffs, the Atlanta Braids are fifteen and six three seventeen ER. Yankee starters fifteen and seven and two seventy four ER. The starters have been good, the bullpen is beginning to get better, and what's interesting. You look at the Dodgers and the Astros. Offensively, they're roughly the same.
Speaker 6: Hard to believe, but true, yeah they are.
Speaker 7: Dodgers are second highest team at batting average and the Astros are third highest. And the Astros are sixth in run scored, seventh in home runs. Dodgers are seventh in runs, third in home runs. But if we're touching on the home runs, this has been a dry spell for the Dodgers. They've gone six consecutive games without hitting a home run. And they don't have to hit home runs to win ball games. They're having to find other ways, and right now they're having to find other ways with really not a whole lot of guys swinging the bat exceptionally well in the lineup.
Speaker 12: Dodgers have hit forty five home runs. They hit forty two in the first twenty two games, but only three home runs in the last twelve. Dodgers forty five home runs, the Astros forty three.
Speaker 6: Who to thunk that, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: But where the Astros have fallen really short And if you look at their injury list, majority are pitchers. I mean, they have been decimated in that area. But they're last place as far as overall era, the Astros are almost at six runs in every nine innings that they have worked. You mentioned the starting pitchers for the Dodgers, they had been exceptional. But for the Houston Astros, I mean they're trying to figure out how they can get more victories. I mean, fourteen and twenty one, they're just eight and eight at home. But they're trying to say to themselves, hey, wait a minute, we're in a hot streak.
Speaker 6: They've won two in a row, maybe Boston.
Speaker 12: They came off the road three and three Boston and Baltimore, and now they're home. But they're facing the Dodgers who have dominated them in recent years.
Speaker 6: They have, and we're going to find out.
Speaker 7: Also, one thing about it, you can I just close your eyes and forget about it too. There's still the attachment of a certain trash can that was in the dugout many many years ago during World Series. And yes, we're still going to be hearing from that end of It's going to be a nice return, I would imagine also for Kyle Tucker his return here to Houston where he began as Major League Chris are going to find out one quick note, uh show, Hey, Otani, who normally takes batting practice almost every day inside, not on the field. He did take early batting practice on the field today. What that means overall, we will wait and see, but hopefully he turns things around. It's been a struggle for Otani at the top of the lineup the last number of games.
Speaker 12: Otani hitless in his last four games, zero for fourteen. In his last nineteen games, Otani is hitting just two nineteen, So the Dodgers certainly hoping he can straighten things out. So it's the Dodgers in the Astros, the first of three and the lineups and first pitch right around the corner.
Speaker 3: Jed all right, thank you, Charlie.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball presented by Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium. Visit Uniclo dot com slash us. Still to come is Charlie Minchell'll get you the keys to the game. We'll have deepert of this pitchy matchup. Astro is going with an opener. But up next we go high and tight with former Dodger infielder now Spanish radio broadcaster Luis Cruz.
Speaker 3: Next, as we lead you up.
Speaker 5: To Dodgers and Astros from Houston, on this Monday night. I'm Tim Kass, the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: As we were saying, this.
Speaker 1: Is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: It's Dodgers and Astros from Houston on this Monday opening game of a three games Sece Yoshinobu Yamamoto on the mound for the Blue.
Speaker 3: Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at Shakey's dot Com.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be Vessy fielding insults from a Dodger.
Speaker 3: Player, It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: Well right now he's in the Dodgers Spanish radio booth. But I first got to know Luis Cochito Cruz when he was wearing number forty seven, bursting onto the scene with this great defense and timely hitting.
Speaker 13: Louis great to.
Speaker 6: Have you on the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 13: Thanks for the invite.
Speaker 14: Man, I'm always open to talk to you about baseball, and I really love the Dodges and love baseball.
Speaker 4: Did you imagine yourself sitting here when you came to spring training back in twenty twelve, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 14: No, I think it's from all this the things I thought I was.
Speaker 13: Gonna do when I hired.
Speaker 14: I think I never thought about being a broadcaster or analyst.
Speaker 13: And you know what has been great.
Speaker 14: And I got a good tea shirt with Rosema, a friend who's been helping me a lot as an engineer audio engineer, So I'm really happy. I'm still learning. But the good thing is that I love baseball. I still have passion for the game, and it's good to like see some guys that you we used to be teammates.
Speaker 13: Still now they're old, but like it's.
Speaker 14: Good to go down and say hi to a lot of guys and you still feel part of the game.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure Dodger fans realize this. When you talk about former teammates, it's not just former teammates major League Baseball. You spent a couple of years playing for Lote in Japan, and that's where he played against guys like show Hey Otani, say A, Suzuki, Yamamoto, Imanaga, all those guys.
Speaker 14: Yeah, all those guys, they were younger than me when when I was there as a better and I was like thirty thirty three years old and they were coming up.
Speaker 13: But you can see Shoi it was gonna be great.
Speaker 14: I mean, I didn't know he was gonna be theas great because he's been really good. But all those guys like Suzuki say he always you can see like a stereotype of.
Speaker 13: Big league players.
Speaker 14: And I'm really happy to to, you know, go down and say hi to them, and they still remember. And they kind of bollowed me because I was a SEMPIPI means I was older, so they kind of like say hi to you like bowling, and I really love for a player like me, you.
Speaker 13: Know, it's really tough.
Speaker 14: I was a utility player back then, and I wanted to play every day, and I got my time in the big leagues, but never had a really good chance to play every day. And when I make the decision to go to Japan, it's like, Okay, now I need to play every day and make something for my family and play. I ended up playing for four years in Japan and I love it.
Speaker 4: What do you remember about show hal Tani in Japan.
Speaker 14: I faced him in twenty fourteen spring training and uh in Okinawa and he was throwing hard, but he was wild. So I'm like, oh, this is the the kid everybody's talking about. At the beginning, I thought okay, but once we face him during the season, he was nasty. He was throwing one on one. He was he was more like a thrower, like he got only fastball, clider and splitting.
Speaker 13: That's the only three pitches he had.
Speaker 14: And I mean I faced him so many times that I always give him a hard time.
Speaker 13: Like remember when I hit.
Speaker 14: The double, he probably struck me out like ten times, more than ten times, but.
Speaker 13: Obviously he can remember that. I want to remember the double a hit.
Speaker 14: So you can see from back then twenty fourteen, he was gonna be great. I make a post in my Instagram page in twenty fifteen and I say, hey, remember this kid, He's.
Speaker 13: Gonna be good. And I never thought we were gonna be in the same team.
Speaker 14: Obviously I'm from the boot, but like having the same you know, colors in the team, and he's gage.
Speaker 4: Luis Cochito Cruz is our guest in front of first pitch. Can you explain to us I feel like we take for granted the greatness of Otani and what he's trying to do at age thirty one to continue to pitch and also be this great hitter. What's the recovery for him? And how do the Dodgers navigate whether or not giving him a day off when he pitches?
Speaker 13: Well, I think.
Speaker 14: This Japanese culture is really like they really work like hard.
Speaker 13: But to show I have to do it like both ways, like pitching and hitting. And I think what he does is like that's what we call him a unicorn. I mean a lot of other teams complain about.
Speaker 14: Oh you guys have another extra peachure blah blah blah.
Speaker 13: It's okay, go get a guy like Joy. I mean you had a chance to get CHOI.
Speaker 14: You know, like they just complain because they don't have it. So I think Shoi has been great.
Speaker 13: I think he's.
Speaker 14: Recover He's like sleep, He's sleep most of the time. Like I can see him on the boss when we're going into the stadium, Like if he's a fifteen minute ride, he take advantage of it instead of us. We just got him the phone. You know, he knows he got his times and he know what to do to be good for the next day.
Speaker 13: A man of the world.
Speaker 4: Luis Cochito Cruz, thanks a lot for the time, and it's awesome to have you around every day. And certainly it was great times with you and me in twenty twelve and twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: And we'll keep it going now.
Speaker 13: Thank you, David. Go Dodgers, then go for the tripping. Let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it. Luis Cruz has been our guest. You'll receive a gift card to Travis Matthew. We'll send it back to the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: DV appreciate that leads up to first pitch on this Monday night Dodgers in Houston to take on the Astros. When we come back, we'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Don't you go anywhere?
Speaker 5: On Tim kass the back to back World Series Champion Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network, This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Dodgers and the Astros on this Monday night. First pinch from Houston is set for five to ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching.
Speaker 3: Matchup brought to you by here Toyota Dealers. We make it easy.
Speaker 5: Stephen Ocherd on the mound for the Astros, thirty four year old left hander boyn and Riverside grew up though in Texas.
Speaker 3: He is oh No. The four to twenty era. Ochert came up with.
Speaker 5: The Giants in twenty sixteen. Pitch for him for a couple of years, then he pitched for the Marlins, got hurt twins. Now in his second season with the Houston Astro, was making his first start in his career. This is his fifth start. He is basically a reliever, but he's the opener tonight, making his eighteenth appearance of this season. He last pitched yesterday, one shutout in he won hit one strikeout against the Boston Red Sox. He is going up against Yoshinobu Yamamoto two and two, two to eighty seven ERA, the twenty seven year old right hander in his third season now with the Dodgers, making his seventh start here in twenty twenty six. Yoshinobu Yamamoto has been up and down, and his last start five innans he allowed four runs on five hits while striking out four walks and a no decision against the Marlins. His last win came back on April seventh, so it's been a while since he got a victory. Tonight his first time facing the Houston Astros, and of course, the Dodgers going into tonight first place atop the NL West in front of the San Diego Padres, the Dodgers leading the division by a half game as they sit at twenty one and thirteen, playing five hundred baseball over the last week and a half. The Padres cool and off, they also playing five hundred baseball over the last week and a half, Padres in San Francisco later on tonight on this May fourth, and again the Dodgers starting the night with a half game lead in the division over San Diego. Dodgers Baseball is presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. As we lead drop to first pitch, keys to the game are coming up next. Don't you go anywhere. I'm Tim Katson. This is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on.
Speaker 9: Tech on your home for the Blue All season low.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Astros on this Monday start of a three game set, Dodgers fresh off a win over the Saint Louis Cardinals. As we get you ready for first pitch in the start of the game with the Saporo start. Ah, yeah, great moments, start with Sapporo beer. Whatever your taste preference. Toporo has you cover with a variety of refreshman and Crisp loggers, including light and non alcoholic beers. Yeah, Soporo, good with sushi, great with baseball. All right, before first pitch, we'll head back out to the booth one final time. Tim never Rick Monday, guys, Tim.
Speaker 2: Thanks again getting you ready for this one. Here in Houston, Texas at dyk In Park, Rufe has closed as it usually is here. It was open this afternoon, beautiful this afternoon, but they're going to close it up anyway for the ball game tonight. Yoshanova Yamamoto at two and two, coming off the game in which he walked a season high four against the Marlins. It was his only non quality start of the season. He got a no decision, allowed four runs, three yearn and five innings. Pitch looking to come back with a bounce back tonight.
Speaker 7: I think if the Dodgers learned anything in yesterday's game with Gribleski, is it trust your infield, trust your outfield, trust the defense. And I say that because Yamamoto you're saying walk four in the last out of the hend. Here's the other part too. Yamamota's been lights out. He gets ahead in the council one forty three batting average against. However, when he falls behind in the count, that batting average against balloons.
Speaker 6: Up to three ninety five, throw strikes. Trust the defense.
Speaker 2: Astro's going with an opener for the second straight day. Left handers Steven Okert will start. It'll be his fifth major league start, and then we expect to see Ryan Weiss come in to take the bulk of the innings following Okert. Dodgers and the Astros Game one of three from Houston.
Speaker 5: Tim, all right, thanks lot, guys. Don't forget when this game is over. David Veasse has got you cover with all the postgame festivities, all the reaction and highlights from this game, and Dodger talk as well. First pit Trim Houston is right around the corner. Dodgers offense looking to heat up in Houston Game one. There's three game set when we return and joint.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim gateson this as the back to back World Series champion Dodgers. Oh do you Network,