Speaker 1: Put a small salt time to get at people what they want to die.
Speaker 2: Who is special?
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 4: You'll host.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 3: Ball's gone to.
Speaker 6: Grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 7: Come to show and now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 8: Welcome to Dodger Talk, David Bass say with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We are at the Rogers Center in Toronto. Today was media day. We'll get you a lot of conversations we had from both sides, from the Blue Jays, from the Dodgers, George Springer, Max Scherzer, Max Munsey, Tommy Edmund Yamamoto.
Speaker 4: So we'll get to all that.
Speaker 8: And also I have some caller receipts from fans freaking out during the during the summer and the regular season and can't wait to share those receipts with you. We also have a one on one conversation with Clayton Kershaw coming up at the bottom of the hour. But we do have breaking news that came down at about six thirty Eastern time three thirty Pacific time, and it does affect the Dodger roster and the bullpen, but it's bigger than baseball. The Dodgers posted on their social media that Alex Vesia is away from the team because of personal matters with him and his wife. In case you didn't know, Vessia's wife was pregnant, So obviously we're respecting their privacy and we're sending out our love.
Speaker 4: And prayers to them. Not sure exactly.
Speaker 8: What the specific reason is, but the Dodgers did post that Alex Vesia is away from the Dodgers, and I haven't seen a playoff roster yet, not sure if Vessia is on it.
Speaker 4: Vessi has been.
Speaker 8: Such a big part of the Dodgers roster and postseason. I mean, he is one of their best relievers. And if they're without him, at least for the first two games, that gives the Blue Jays a huge advantage. And the Dodgers need even more length out of their starters without Vessia. And obviously this is secondary considering whatever him and his wife are going through for him not to be here in Toronto. But it's funny. This may open the door for a Tanner Scott World Series. Roster spot without Vessia. Dave Roberts said earlier today they haven't decided whether or not to leave Vessia off the World Series roster, so there is still a chance that Vessia is on the World Series roster and joins them when they return in Los Angeles. Also, another possibility we found out from a Major League Baseball spokesman is that the Dodgers could put Vessia on bereavement and then bring him back later in the World Series, So there is a chance that they don't have to leave Vessia off the World Series roster. Bereavement is certainly in play, and I wasn't sure about that when the news broke, but we're starting to get some information from Major League Baseball that, yes, the Dodgers could put him on bereavement, and if the circumstances dictated and he was feeling good enough to come back and pitch, he would be available later in the World Series. So our thoughts and prayers go out to Alex Vesia, and certainly we'll see what other options the Dodgers have to fill his spot for a temporary basis. Could be Tanner Scott back in play, who hasn't pitched in over a month. All Right, we'll see where the Dodgers go with alex Vesia, but we want to get to some of the Blue Jays media Day and we had a chance to catch up with George Springer, who is at the center of the storm with the twenty seventeen Astros, and we did not shy away from that when we caught up with Springer at media Day.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of history between you and the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: What do you feel about this series and when you go back to l A the reception that you've gotten in the past, Is that a factor in any of this?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's ultimately at the end of the day, our team has to go play our game, go be who we are and you know who We'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: Which had been like to play behind not just one city, but an entire country and have them back in the World Series.
Speaker 2: It's special. No, it doesn't really hit you.
Speaker 9: You know that you're playing for a whole country up until it does, so you know this is this is awesome. I couldn't be more excited for for our fans.
Speaker 8: It's been a lot of talked about and rightfully so. The Dodgers starting pitching. How good it's been this postseason? When you're going against four starters like that, What's what's the mindset of an offense?
Speaker 9: You know, I just think you understand that there's not gonna be a lot to hit. You understand that, you know those are four, four or five elite guys, and you know that you know that they can control his own, can pound his own. So you know, you just have to kind of go grind it out, and you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: You're one of the the only guys that have played in the World Series on the team. Do you have any sort of message for him in the clubhouse? What's your role in trying to help these guys that don't have the experience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I'm I'm the old guy in the locker room. You know who besides Max, Max is ancient. I have some stuff that I'll let them know. You know, just to go go have fun, enjoy the moment. You know that these are moments that you don't know if you're ever going to get there. You don't know if you're ever gonna get back. Obviously, it's an extremely hard task with that team on the other side of the line. But you know, just just just go into joy the moment about be who you are as a player.
Speaker 8: George Springer was the twenty seventeen World Series MVP. He was the guy that sent the Blue Jays to this World Series, so his experience and clutch play is.
Speaker 4: Something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 8: From the Blue Jays side, we always talk about Keith a Hernandez and his love for October. Well, George Springer also has a knack for that type of October play and he has showed it already in this October for the Blue Jays had a chance to also catch up with former Dodger Max Scherzer. Scherzer was part of the Dodgers in twenty twenty one that lost to Freddie Freeman's Braves in Game six of the NLCS, and we all remember that mac Scherzer all of a sudden couldn't pitch in Game six of the NLCS when the Dodgers needed him the most. Scherzer earlier this year, when the Blue Jays were at Dodgers Stadium, decided that he really wanted a picture and exchange of jerseys with one of his fellow peers and a guy that has been there.
Speaker 4: A parallel of his career as far.
Speaker 8: As when they started being two members that are active of the three thousand strikeout club, and that was Clayton Kershaw. And started out the interview at Media Day with Scherzer talking about that moment and the fact that the Dog and Blue Jays are in the World Series, meaning those two future Hall of famers will be on the mound and one of them will be a champion.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 10: We didn't necessarily say that, but I said, man, this can't be the last time. We gotta do this again. It's too much fun when we compete against each other. And uh, you know, I think the thing is high as of any player I can think of it, you know, when I think about him, what he's meant to the game, and definitely when he's meant to.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers' organization.
Speaker 10: So, uh, you know, obviously a great picture and that love competing against him.
Speaker 8: You and Donnie have been inside the Dodgers, you know, and understand their method.
Speaker 4: Does that give you any.
Speaker 8: Sort of sort of advantage or strategic help to your other teammates, No.
Speaker 10: Because they're gonna adapt to what you know our thing is. And just like we're gonna do to that. Like, you know, it doesn't give us a competitive avantage. You know, we were gonna be humans playing baseball. They're gonna make decisions. We're gonna make decisions.
Speaker 8: What do you remember about that twenty one season with the Dodgers and just you coming out of the bullpen in San Francisco and just the way things ended. A lot of guys say that on that team, said that was the most talented team they ever played on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it really was a really special team, really talented team.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, we were loaded, but so were the Giants. The Giants. You know, sometimes when you get into those.
Speaker 10: Division series, I mean, those those division series can absolutely kill you.
Speaker 2: I mean it takes.
Speaker 10: Every last guy, uh to be able to go out there and do that to win win a series in that situation. You know, we got caught in that coming from the wildcard game, you know, going into you know, playing against the Giants.
Speaker 2: I mean they were really really.
Speaker 10: Good team, and you know I was I had to come out of the whole playing to close out Game five. So you know, you know, we can always look back at how that all transpired and play the couldas should would a game, But you know, my time in LA, I always have good memories of it. I got to have some really cool moments there and uh definitely in the Clubhoufs two and get to know those guys, So you know, I only I only think highly of my time there in LA.
Speaker 8: It seemed like you guys may have been emotionally spent after having to play the wildcard game then playing a rival like the Giants for five.
Speaker 2: Is there any danger of.
Speaker 8: The Blue Jays and you guys maybe being emotionally spent after a seven game series like that coming into the World Series.
Speaker 10: You know, I guess that's a fair question. But we've had a little bit more time. Uh you know, there's like three days. Uh there's Monday's, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Yeah, there was three days in between that series. So kind of let's everybody, you know, catch your breath. I think when you move from DS to you know, the NLCS, you only have like a day. So we got of got you know, like that kind of played a role into it. So hopefully that help that helps us getting a few days off here before we actually start game one.
Speaker 4: They might take a lot out of you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I can answer questions all day log it's easier and throwing the baseball.
Speaker 8: Hey, I wasn't scared. Mac Surezer is a talker and he's a veteran. He's not going to shy away from anything. So a good professional conversation there with Max Scherzer, who is a former Diamondback, and so is Blue Jays center fielder Dalton VARs Show, who had his best year since being traded to Arizona the year before the Diamondbacks went to the World Series. Now he's here finally and certainly is familiar with the dominance of the Dodgers. Obviously you've seen the Dodgers and seeing what they've built over the years playing in the NL West. To have this opportunity to beat them in the World Series, is it somewhat surreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Obviously they're a really really good team.
Speaker 11: I've played my whole career, and they've got really good leaders and being able to know what it's like to be in this position and kind of being in the World Series, So they obviously have that feeling.
Speaker 2: But I mean, we also have good leaders.
Speaker 11: Over here too, have been there with Max and George, so obviously taking in one step at a time, understanding what we need to do to be prepared.
Speaker 2: They're going to be really prepared to go out there and play a game.
Speaker 8: When you size up the Dodgers and just the tail of the tape between your team and their team, what stands out to you the most as a guy that's involved.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it's their experience. They have a bunch of guys over there who were on the team last year when they want it, so I think it's more experience than anything else. But it's about who can kind of control their adrenaline. That's really what it comes down to. And obviously being in the position like we played a really good team with Seattle of going to seven games, So I think overall we do a really good job of being able to control that part of it and being able.
Speaker 2: To go play a game. We just can't do anything more than that.
Speaker 8: Watching from Dodger Stadium, it seemed like you guys really emptied the emotional tank in game seven. How do you refill it and do you feel like you guys have been recharged after such an emotional series and emotional win.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think overall, I think every series is like that. So obviously, like a lot of guys who have never made it this far in the playoffs or guys, it's the first time coming through it. Like there is gonna be a lot of emotion every series, but it's about understanding that stress and anxiety that was filled all up into that Game seven and you poured it out because you love the guys on this team and you cared for everybody, and so for us to win that series is great, but obviously it was onto the next like we kind of were able to flip our minds really quick and say, hey, we still have four more games to win.
Speaker 8: All right, last thing for you, first World Series, this World Series Media Day. I'm sure you've seen it now that you're here. What's your impressions of World Series Media Day?
Speaker 11: It's controlled chaos. But just go enjoy it. I mean, there's really nothing about it. Like they all want to talk to you, and they all want to know a story, but it just go enjoy it, enjoy every moment of it, and soak.
Speaker 2: It all in.
Speaker 8: Var Show likely not going to start tomorrow night in Game one of the World Series against Blake Snell. The Blue Jays do have a platoon in center field, so VARs Show will be out there for Game two against Yamamoto. All right, before we wrap things up and get to the receipts, and you are going to love to hear receipts I pulled out from this past summer of Dodger talk callers. Let's get to Don Mattingly, the former Dodger manager who is now the bench coach for the Blue Jays. First time in his major league career that he is going to the World Series, albeit not as a player, not as a manager, but as the Blue Jays bench coach. And that has been a big time storyline. He's gotten a lot of attention over it. And I had a chance to sneak into his Blue Jays media day.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, a couple of hundred ticks, some different people.
Speaker 13: But no, it's it's been a really humbling feeling that people, you know, kind of want that for you. But for me, you know, I'm happy about that, but it does keep going back to our players. It's it's really about them. I'm a kind of.
Speaker 12: Blended into the woodwork here, not really.
Speaker 13: You know, John's the manager, He's the ones that's that's doing all the legwork, making a lot of the tough decisions, a lot of different departments are doing all the work with the hitters and the.
Speaker 12: Pitchers and things like that.
Speaker 13: I think, like Tomorrow and myself, what kind of here to support john support anybody that we can within the group.
Speaker 12: I kind of look at myself as a perspective coach more than anything else right now.
Speaker 13: As the season went on, it's like, hey, let's keep this from perspective.
Speaker 12: We lose a couple of games, We're fine. Things like that.
Speaker 8: But Johnny, in all the years as a player, coacher, managers, which one before this one did you feel like, I think we're going to make it a sure?
Speaker 13: I like the ninety four ninety five teams I played on felt really good.
Speaker 12: The eighty five team was really good. Teams in LA.
Speaker 13: The teams I had in LA, I felt like I had really good shots. The year we got beat by the Mets, I thought was a tough We got.
Speaker 12: Beat in game five.
Speaker 13: I think out in LA we had to grom on the ropes and we didn't.
Speaker 12: We weren't able to put him away.
Speaker 13: That one good about There's been a there's been a few teams that you know.
Speaker 12: I think the biggest thing you know is when you get into the playoffs.
Speaker 13: Anything can happen in a short series. It's not one, six and two, it's seven. Who gets hot?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 12: You know who makes the big play, who gets the big hit.
Speaker 13: You get momentum, roll in your way, get pressure on somebody else.
Speaker 12: Anything can happen. So I think all of those teams you feel like you can. Even in Miami.
Speaker 13: You know the year of COVID. You know, we went that first round in Chicago, and you know what we got. We got a couple of good young pitchers out there that could have got hot, uh, and we could have moved on, but we weren't able to.
Speaker 12: But you always believe that you can.
Speaker 8: Everybody very happy for Don Mattinglee. I'm not as excited as everybody else. It would have meant more. I feel if he was the manager of the Blue Jays than just the bench coach, although he has had a big influence on Blue Jays manager John Schneider. But I kind of feel like this is an East Coast thing. A lot of Yankees people care more than anybody else that Don Mattingly finally made it to the World Series. Isn't it a little watered down that he's going with the Blue Jays as the bench coach instead of the Dodgers manager or a Yankees player.
Speaker 4: That's the way I feel. Well.
Speaker 8: Well, wow, look who walked into the Dodger Talk radio booth. Rick Krajeuski, who has taken on the lifestyle of the Canadian Mounties with a great mustache out here. He's been alongside Joe Davis for the entire American League postseason, and Joe Davis and John Smoltz and Rick Krajuski will be in the booth again for the World Series coming up tomorrow night. All right, when we continue on Dodger Talk, we will get to the receipts I pulled out from Dodger Talk callers over the past summer, and you are going to enjoy it. It will give you a great laugh considering how freaked out some of you were about this Dodger World Series champion team. Dodger Talk from Roger Center in Toronto continues right here on a f five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: We're with you until eight o'clock. Coming up.
Speaker 8: At the bottom of the hour, you'll hear our conversation with Clayton Kershawn will also try to get to some of the other Dodgers at media day, you heard from the Blue Jays was not afraid to present to George Springer. He will hear a lot of booze before Game three. During Game three, and also Max Scherzer just wanted to remind him that some of us have not forgotten about twenty twenty one. It was great to hear from Dalton Varshow as well. And Don Mattingley of course, very cool to hear him reference the twenty fifteen NLDS and that Dodger team that was in a great position to win the World Series, just unfortunately came up short in Game five. It's Game one of the World Series right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson will have the call. Our coverage begins at four o'clock, with first pitch at five o'clock from the Rogers Center here in Toronto on Snell Zilla Day. Blake Snell with an era under one this postseason, being mentioned in the same sentence as Kershaw as Cofax with this type of run and look, there's a reason why he's starting Game one. He set the tone in the NLDS, He's set the tone in the NLCS and the Dodgers are expecting him, and Blake is expecting himself to set the tone in Game one of the World Series. Remember this is the second time Snell has pitched in the World Series. He pitched for the Rays against the Dodgers. Of course, in the twenty World Series, that infamous Game six where Kevin Cash took out of Blake Snell that was dominating the Dodgers. So Dave Roberts is going to push Snell tomorrow night like he has all postseason, and Snell has expressed to me many times how badly he wants this and how badly he wants to hoist the World Series trophy with the Dodgers. We'll get to Kershawan the Dodgers coming up in our next segment. But right now, I have receipts, and thanks to the help of calling Yee, we have receipts from you during the regular season, panicking over games in April, panicking and games in May, panicking in games even as late as September. Take for example, this receipt Mike and Rancho kuckamonga as late as September, anxious over the Dodgers playoff hopes.
Speaker 3: Hey, DV, you know It's been a while since I called in. Normally I'm calling in when things go wrong, but you know, this season, I decided to take a step back from from the anxiety of baseball and just you know, trust in the process. But you know, after yesterday and today's games, I'm pushing.
Speaker 12: The panic button.
Speaker 3: I know, you know the World Series isn't one in September, but my gosh, you know we're not looking good going into October baseball at all, and so I just wanted to see your thoughts on you know, where's your confidence level in going into October from what you've seen lately.
Speaker 8: Out of the boys, I want you to take a deep breath. I know it's hard to do in Rancho Cucamonga. That's that's where Dino Evil pioneered that city, that great city now that has emerged out of the ashes out there, out of the dirt. I mean, there were no ashes really, So I want you to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the games and enjoy the riot. The Dodgers are the defending World Series champions. It wasn't that long ago they were celebrating, so they still have great players.
Speaker 4: Let's see what happens. Mike, Well, Mike and Rancho Kukamonga.
Speaker 8: I hope your anxiety has calmed down because the Dodgers are back in the World Series as I predicted.
Speaker 4: How about Max Mounsey.
Speaker 8: I feel like he's the guy you didn't appreciate until he was gone.
Speaker 4: How about our friend.
Speaker 8: Carlos Carlos in May just going full blown get rid of Max Mounsey.
Speaker 4: Carlos, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: How are you doing, Carlos, Listen about the Max Munsey. You know, keeping everything in perspective.
Speaker 15: You know, the Dodgers are on pace to win one hundred and twelve games, so so you know theyve look crappy these last few games, but you know it's it's it's.
Speaker 6: Week two or whatever. Having said that, like, I hate to dump on Monsey, but but you are the heels of an on the heels going already terrible twenty twenty four. This dude is us to an atrocious start. I mean, and it's not just the numbers. He can't catch up at the fastball. He's fooled by any off speed. And not to mention he's he's an average defender at best. I mean, I think they need to give. I would say, Chris Taylor playing a few games.
Speaker 8: Wow, Carlos, I hope you call back because I had the receipts on your months.
Speaker 4: He hate.
Speaker 8: How about all of you that were out on Mookie Betts during the regular season. Yes, the first one hundred games were not pretty, but considering and as I have stated over and over again, it reminded you you don't count out great players and you have to believe their personal pride, their professional pride will win out. And that's what's happening with Mookie Betts. He has turned around his season. The last sixty games, he's hitting nearly three hundred with a slugging percentage of over five hundred while playing really good shortstop. One of my favorite callers, though, Diana in Granada Hills, was just ready to say, MOOKI go back to right field and never see shortstop again.
Speaker 4: Let's go out to Granada Hills. Diana. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Diana.
Speaker 16: I'm doing well. Hi, David. You know I recall you saying so many times, especially last season on the Dodgers go as Mooky goes, and Mooki's not going, and I just don't understand. You know, in business, we always have the saying don't mess with what works, And why do the Dodgers insist on messing with what works, which is keeping Mooki in right field?
Speaker 4: Diana wasn't alone.
Speaker 8: How about this guy just completely just completely discounting the preparation Mookie that's put in that shortstop and the fact that even at that time he was playing pretty good there.
Speaker 14: And you know, look, the middle end feels so important. Man, you can't have like I love Bets. I love that he's trying to do that. Let me ask you another question.
Speaker 6: Let me this is little question I'm to leave with you. One.
Speaker 14: Was the last time a player in the middle of his career moved from one position to shortstop? That is absolutely unheard of. Man, I admire the best trying to do that, But man, come on now, yeah.
Speaker 4: I know that's what the kids say.
Speaker 8: But I got the receipts and I had it on you just completely ripping Mookie Bets. Here he is, and somebody with the Dodgers on the flight here to Toronto told me watch out for a big World Series from Mookie Bets. He did not win the World Series MVP in eighteen or twenty or even last year. He wants to remind people how big of a part he is in this Dodger offense. And John Schneider walked o'tani at Dodgers Stadium whenever first space was open. So Mookie Bets is determined to make the Jay's pay if that happens again, speaking of criticism of management and Mookie Bets and the roster, this really paid me to pull this receipt out from Matt in Woodland Hills. Woodland Hills is my town, and it really hurt my heart to hear a guy like this go after the Dodgers. We got to start out in my hometown, Woodland Hills. Matt, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: How you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing all right, Dave. So Yeah, I wanted to talk a little bit just about this roster construction in general. I think there's a larger issue here, Like we've got the highest payroll, We've got the oldest roster. Old rosters in any sport have the most injuries. It's been that way, the most aisle games for any team in the last three years. The Dodgers are always on top and the far system is overrated. I mean, who's the last really good person that's come up since Will Smith that's really made?
Speaker 4: Is you know? I?
Speaker 5: Well? Okay, one, okay, the coveted of the coveted GM, that is, you bestowed with three hundred million in payroll against like the Brewers with one thirteen, like last three two years. It's just struggle after struggle, underperform, underperform.
Speaker 8: Well, Matt, I guess that roster of veterans turned out to be pretty good. But because here they are in the World Series again, and speaking of hate for the roster and management and Dave Roberts, how about our guy Dan and Camio. Now, I'm gonna play a lot of this receipt because Dan and Camario said Dave Roberts was no good all the way back in May, just four months removed from winning the World Series. Again, Let's go out to Camio. Dan, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Dan?
Speaker 17: Hey? Dave love your shoe.
Speaker 14: Hey.
Speaker 17: The toughest job a professional manager has is to get these multi gazillion dollar players to play at their highest level. Well, I'm sorry, Dave Roberts is not able to do that anymore. He's lost to Alley. They need to move on.
Speaker 4: When did he lose it? Did so?
Speaker 8: When did Dave Roberts lose it? Was it after Game five of the World Series? When exactly did he lose it this year?
Speaker 17: And there's there's a time you have to move on.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, he just lost it.
Speaker 8: The world, going to Blake Trining in Game five and then going to Walker Bueller.
Speaker 17: They won in spite of him. Look at what he's doing now.
Speaker 4: Dodgers record.
Speaker 8: I think I'll end it on the receipts right there, Ken in Newport Beach honorable mention, But I'm not going to play it. You're too big of a Dodger fan. But just remember the receipts I pulled out from you and how upset you were over a team that had just won the World Series and now showed you they know how to pace themselves for the regular season. And I'll admit some guys more than others turned on the switch, but guys like Mookie Betts never gave up on his season. And the Dodgers starting rotation was not healthy. They had it in their minds to make sure they were healthy for the start of the playoffs and there has been no other four better starters this postseason or in any time recently that are pitching as elite as Snell, Yamamoto, Otani and Glass now are. They're gonna have to finish it off or it won't mean anything.
Speaker 4: But just keep in.
Speaker 8: Mind the Dodgers not only care about games in the regular season, but more importantly, they care about winning the World Series, because that's all you'll care about. When we continue from Rogers Center in Toronto on Dodger Talk on the eve of Game one of the World Series, we'll catch up with Clayton Kershaw in his final season back in the Fall Classic. Don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk with David Bassey from Canada right here on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: We're from Canada. That's right.
Speaker 8: We're at Rogers Center until eight o'clock Pacific time tonight, as we are on the eve of Game one of the World Series between the Dodgers and Blue Jays. Blake Snell the Dodgers Game one starter. Our coverage begins tomorrow, of course, with Sax and Kate's in the morning at six am, taking you all the way to Dodgers on Deck at four o'clock and first pitch from the Center here in Toronto at five o'clock Pacific time with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson on the call. How about those caller receipts. Maybe we should play some of those back tomorrow night as well. I mean, you could go back and listen to that on the iHeartRadio app as many times as you want. And thank you to our guy, our screener and producer calling Yee for pulling those receipts again, that was phenomenal. You're lucky I didn't share those You're lucky I didn't share those receipts with Clayton Kershaw. Instead, we reflected on his final opportunity to win a World Series championship, and we had a chance to catch up with the Greg Kershaw at media day earlier this afternoon. All right, Clayton, your final World Series Media Day. I know this is what you really lived for, coming back for one final year.
Speaker 2: This is it, This is why I'm here. Good to talk to everybody here. This is it.
Speaker 8: Have you been able to enjoy the moments of this and the last couple of months of the season more than you've allowed yourself to enjoy other moments of your career.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think so.
Speaker 18: I Yeah, I usually try not to get too wrapped up and everything, but yeah, once I kind of came out and said that I was finished, it's hard not to, you know, it's hard not to be a little bit reflective. And you know, the few moments I had, you know, the last home game at Dodger Stadium, the last game in Seattle is just.
Speaker 2: Is really special.
Speaker 18: And then getting to celebrate you know, the victories in the postseason all that, like, I know, I maybe have one more time to.
Speaker 2: Get to do that.
Speaker 18: So it's yeah, all that stuff you can't help but kind of look back and just be grateful for it all.
Speaker 8: During this journey of the postseason, I've seen players from other teams, you know, workouts or before the games, go out of their way to kind of just salute you. Have you noticed that, how guys that you may not have expected come up to you and just you know, say congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think everybody.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's I'm super honored by that. You know, not.
Speaker 18: Do you never expect anybody to say, you know, nice things, especially when you're playing against you, But to have guys say you know, great career, you know, enjoyed playing against you or competing all that stuff is uh, is very is awesome. You know, it really is because the peers. You know, your peers are kind of that's who the opinions matter. You know, there's a lot of people outside this game that will say things that don't understand. So to have have your peers respect is uh. I've always said that guys inside your clubhouse and guys around the game, that's the that's the most important thing as far as your reputation has.
Speaker 8: The some of the more uncomfortable things is for you to hear that and hear people celebrate you, and even guys in your own clubhouse have that type of respect and vocalize it, even maybe making goat sounds at times.
Speaker 18: I just tell them not to make it weird, Dave, I just tell them, don't make it weird. And so you know, but yeah, we've got we've got a lot of awesome guys. I think everybody it's just a I think it's a mutual thing. I'm so grateful for all these guys, and it's just it's just pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Is there something to be said about everything you've accomplished. Certain players on this team have accomplished individually and as a group that you guys are still hungry for more. Are there guys playing with a chip on their shoulder to prove something for themselves and for the group?
Speaker 18: Is that part of this No, I just think we're a great team and this is what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's as.
Speaker 18: Simple as that, Like we don't have We've got one goal at the beginning of every season, and it takes the right type of superstars. You know, and Andrew does a great job. You know when you look at show, Hey, Mookie, Freddie, the top three guys on down, they're superstar players, but their mindset is just to win the World Series, and so they do everything that they possibly can to help us.
Speaker 2: Win the World Series.
Speaker 18: So I've been around guys where they've been great players that might that might not necessarily be the case at times, and so to have that is just like that that trickle down effect makes everybody realize that that's that's why we're here, and that's why we are a Dodger. That's what we signed up to do, and we're going to try to do that over the course of the next ten days.
Speaker 8: Doesn't that make this team unique because you have been teammates with guys that had a lot of talent but didn't have the work ethic to be able to fulfill it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I don't know if it's work ethic. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 18: I just know that there's kind of like a a factor of wanting to win and what that looks like. And you saw last year with Freddie's ankle. You see it this year with Mookie becoming a goal glove shortstop.
Speaker 2: You see it with Shohey.
Speaker 18: Doing everything he can to be the best hitter and the best pitcher. And that trickles all the way down, like Will Smith trying to play through a broken hand, or you know, like just just everybody pitcher's stepping up, you know, pitching all the time, all bullpen guys throwing constantly.
Speaker 2: You know, just different.
Speaker 18: Stuff like they see these guys do it, so that means that they they're going to fall in line too, And that's that's just pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Before I'll let you go, you've been a game one starter many times in your career. Blake is kind of setting the tone every series. What have you seen as far as the growth from when he first started pitching to where he's at right now with you guys.
Speaker 18: I've always said that Blake when he's right, is top top two to three pitchers in the game. I've said that when he was in Tampa, I said that when he was in San Diego of San Francisco.
Speaker 2: He's he's special, he really is. And you're seeing that now.
Speaker 18: He's got four pitches that are elite and he uh, he loves to compete, he really does. So it's uh, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: To watch tomorrow. Have you seen Donnie yet.
Speaker 18: Haven't seen Donna yet. Haven't seen don yet. I'll get him a hug and tell him I'm happier here. But this is as far as it goes. Thank you, Clayton, all right, Thanks.
Speaker 8: Last dance for Clayton Kershaw. Not too many players get to go out as a champion, let alone a back to back World Series champion, and that's the opportunity that Kershaw and the Dodgers have in front of them as it all gets started tomorrow night. Game one here in Toronto had a chance to catch up with a few of the other Dodger players on media Day. Some of the guys that you don't really hear too often from, including Max Munci, who many of you, as you just heard from the caller receipts counted out a little prematurely.
Speaker 19: I've been asked the dynasty question a lot over the last week. You know, they always say, like another sports, you have to win three titles to be a dynasty.
Speaker 20: I don't know if that's true, but we have the chance to do that.
Speaker 19: I feel like for us, we've been in the postseason last thirteen years in a row, or twelve years in a row, whatever it is. You know, we've had that chance to win a title every single year. I feel like that has to.
Speaker 20: Count for something.
Speaker 19: And you know, for this group, this organization, from office, the coaching stuff, the players, the culture we've created. To me, that's been everything. And I feel like that in its own is its own dynasty. Just the culture that we've created that everyone else now knows about and you hear other people talk about it.
Speaker 8: At this point in time in the season, after everything you guys have been through the last year and a half, where are you guys emotionally and physically to be able to pick yourselves up to get here and to win four more already.
Speaker 20: I mean, we better be ready. If not, then why why are we here?
Speaker 8: You know, you feel you get like a second life, like a second win once you get here, because nobody's one hundred percent at this time.
Speaker 20: There's there's there's things you can do.
Speaker 12: Dave.
Speaker 19: You know you've heard me say that, there's there's there's lines you willing the cross at this time of year. You're not going to cross in in in June.
Speaker 20: But you know we're gonna be ready to go. Guys are gonna be ready to go.
Speaker 19: Like I said, this is the whole reason you play this game is to get to this point, and you're not gonna.
Speaker 20: Let anything hold you back out there.
Speaker 8: What do you make of Otani putting his NLCS MVP trophy in the middle of the clubhouse.
Speaker 20: I think it's awesome.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 19: The first part of that is I think it's awesome because you know, he said it was a team effort, and really was the you know, there was there was a guy each game and happened to be most of our starting pitchers, but there was a guy each game that won us those games. And you know, I think that was just an incredible team effort to win four games in an NLCS. Just the starting pitching, big timely hits, big plays on defense. And so I think that's how Schow felt about it was just, you know, there wasn't one guy that won the series.
Speaker 20: It was everybody.
Speaker 19: And then the other part of that is, I guess he's got so many MVP trophies he doesn't care.
Speaker 20: About that one. You know, I gotta throw a joke in there for you, Dave.
Speaker 4: Thank you Monsey. I appreciate it. You really delivered today.
Speaker 8: Of course, Max Mounsey will be a big part of this World Series. He already has made two of the best defensive plays of this postseason for the Dodgers at third base the nlds that we all play and obviously crashing and making a heads up throw to third base with the aggress some brewers in the NLCS. Tommy Edmund has been grinding through a right ankle right foot injury all season long, and here he is trying to help the Dodgers win the World Series for a second straight year, his second year with the Dodgers, first full season with the Dodgers. You guys started the season in Tokyo quicker than everybody else.
Speaker 4: You're playing longer than everybody else.
Speaker 8: You obviously have you know, had to manage your ankle throughout the year. How do you pick yourself up every day and as a group be able to be here to have this opportunity.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's a long seaton.
Speaker 7: Last year is a long season and this year is about as long as it could possibly be with you know, the early start and going to the World Series now. But I think it's a lot easier when you truly enjoy being around the guys on the team. You know, we all enjoy coming to the ballpark and being with one another. You know, we have a brotherhood on this team, and I think that's one of the things that makes us special is just the bond that we have.
Speaker 20: Have We create that.
Speaker 7: Bond through you know, being at the field every day, road trips, you know, playing cards on the plane. So you know, there's just a lot of things that that we enjoy about being with each other every single day, and that's what makes the grind of a season easier.
Speaker 8: Could you be here without enjoying being around each other and having the chemistry you have between the.
Speaker 2: Lines, you mean, being in the World Series?
Speaker 8: Yeah, could you enjoy being around this team or could you be here at the World Series if without enjoying each other.
Speaker 7: I think it's very hard for a team to make the World Series if you don't have that clubhouse chemistry when you're playing for each other. It just makes things a lot easier, and you know, and I think it just allows you to perform better.
Speaker 8: Do you think as a group you have something to prove and do you believe individually there's guys on this team that play or pitch with the chip on their shoulder that kind of feeds into the focus and hunger that you guys have maintained this year.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think everybody on our team has has the desire to be great and has the desire to you know.
Speaker 20: Perform as well as we possibly can.
Speaker 7: And you know a lot of guys on the team have accomplished just about everything you could accomplish in a career, and they're still hungry, you know, still hungry for more, and you know, still some of the hardest workers that you see, and just the way to go about their routine and there's no sense of, oh, I've already completed everything. I'm just you know, going through my career just trying to, you know, check a few boxes, but rather everybody has that pursuit of greatness. So you know, that's one of the things that makes it special is the way that those guys go about their day to day routines and trying to do everything they can to get better.
Speaker 8: I'll end this before I ask you the words to O Canada.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm ending it right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Hey, I said this when Tommy Edmund came back from the injured list. Even his outs from the left side and the right side have been hard hit. He is swinging the bat really well and has been ever since he came back from the injured list last year's NLCSMVP again is going to be another big part of this very deep Dodger team. The pitching staff the starters obviously have set the tone for the Dodgers all postseason long. I had a chance to catch up with who probably will be the Game three starter at Dodgers Stadium, Tyler Glass now and just the big plan the Dodgers have had all along for him and the other guys that started the season on the injured list.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I think that's like the whole goal. I think when I signed here, like you have the postseason in mind. I think anyone who signs here, that's like the expectation you have as a Dodger. You have to come and win and the postseason, not just get there, but win, And I think that's everyone's main goal. So I think whatever you can do to put yourself in a good situation for the postseason, for the World Series, everyone's on board with that. So there's a little part of you that, like, I guess if you feel ready to come back early. But I think for me specifically, it kind of just timed out to where we both were like perfect time, like let's go get healthy now and pitch.
Speaker 17: Well.
Speaker 8: You and Blake were kind of in that same boat this year, and you guys obviously have been together a long time. And what's the growth you've seen in him over the time that you weren't tamping together.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Blake's always had a really good work ethic, and he's always been like a unique pitcher and the way that he pitches and goes about his business. I think him just being able to throw any pitch in any count the confidence he has. He never gives in. I think that's always been consistent. I think him being a dad has made him grow too. But I've always been a big fan of Blake. He's always been a good teammate. But yeah, it's nice to see him this many years down the road and just to see that, like he's matured and grown. But he's also the same guy. You know, he's still the same funny dude, good work, ethic, good dude.
Speaker 4: Would you be all in for him to drop a new rap if you guys win, sure, I'm down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he wants to, I'm all for it.
Speaker 4: Would you be the awkward guy on the wall with your hat down, your head down?
Speaker 2: No, I probably wouldn't be in the video. I'd probably stay out of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Glass Now again is gonna be tough to beat at home because the Shadows will be there at five o'clock in the afternoon at Dodger Stadium. And it's lined up perfectly for the Dodgers all postseason to have glass Now start games at Dodger Stadium. And it's worked out even better because he's been pitching at three o'clock in the afternoon, which has made him that much tougher to hit and see the ball coming out of his hand and then all of a sudden, it's ninety eight on you. All right, Let's close out the show tonight with one of the good hearted guys out there, Yamamoto, Yoshi Yamamoto and his trusty interpreter, Hero, who was written about a big feature in the La Times by Dylan Hernandez and he got a little candid about some of the superstitions. Yamamoto and Hero.
Speaker 4: Have you think Hero is wearing his lucky boxer shorts today?
Speaker 6: Kill?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Kill?
Speaker 2: I's up there last today after tomorrow? Oh, my game day.
Speaker 8: How do you feel this year this time around with the World Series having the experience of last year?
Speaker 2: I know, Kike.
Speaker 22: And Ginz, I know stuff, I know, I know, I'm feeling really good and I think I can go out there and perform with the confidence.
Speaker 8: How much do you feel the not burden, but the responsibility of the starting pictures? Yourself and Snell to set the tone for the first two games of this series.
Speaker 2: He say, so, no.
Speaker 1: Game one of the committed to you.
Speaker 2: My buddy. That is an a.
Speaker 3: Card, you.
Speaker 4: Know, just like CS.
Speaker 22: You know, in the first two games, that kind of said to tone. You know, so I think, you know, because our responsibility for these two games are very important, and then that might determine the flow of the whole series.
Speaker 8: One last question, why why do you believe Otani's n l C S M v P trophy was put in the middle of the clubhouse during the workouts or during the work up.
Speaker 4: It was in the middle of the clubhouse and.
Speaker 23: Nas no, then you no, I know, I meant me no.
Speaker 17: Hi.
Speaker 22: I think he just wanted to express and then just to make sure everybody knows that was kind of like his ion though.
Speaker 20: That you know, because team work. And then but everybody thinks, you know, because he did it. Yeah, I mean, you know, because he was the.
Speaker 2: One, you know, I could leave this team to one.
Speaker 4: So he wanted to remind people not that part of the front. Thank you Oshi, great to see you.
Speaker 5: Hero.
Speaker 8: Always a good time with Yamamoto and Hero. Great guys, great spirited guys. But as Yamamoto has said in the past, as Yamamoto said after his last start, losing is not an option, and.
Speaker 4: He'll be ready to go and it'll be an interest.
Speaker 8: It will be an interesting matchup in game two between Yamamoto and these Blue Jays hitters who liked to swing early in the counts. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thank you so much to Ronnie Fossio back at our burd Bank Studios for hanging.
Speaker 4: Out an hour extra with us.
Speaker 8: Appreciate that, Ronnie, and can't wait to see you at Game three of the World Series.
Speaker 4: And thank you for listening.
Speaker 8: In case you missed any of the show or our conversation with Clayton Kershaw, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We'll have Dodger Talk for you after Game one of the World Series tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: That'll do it for us tonight from Canada in the Rogers Center, a great Dodger Talk on the eve of the World Series. It all gets started at five o'clock tomorrow. Have a great rest of your Thursday.
Speaker 4: Seal the perfect Date