Speaker 1: Then that could help your money grow. This is the Bloomberg moneyment atte on seven hundred WLWY.
Speaker 2: Dan Schwartzman in the Bloomberg newsroom with us this morning. Dan, Can the Supreme Court overturn the tariffs?
Speaker 3: It's a possibility, Steve, Accord to Kevin Hasset, the director of the National Economic Council, a Supreme Court ruling against President Trump's tariffs would create a major quote administrative problem, has it said The challenging logistics of refunding tariffs paid on goods would deter the High Court from ordering such a redistribution. The Supreme Court is weighing a legal challenge to tariffs Trump imposed on dozens of nations under the nineteen seventy seven International Emergency Economic Powers Act. You have to imagine, Steve, that the Supreme Court look at the legality of it, not the logistics of giving money back.
Speaker 2: Instacart, they're ending a controversial practice, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're ending a.
Speaker 3: Program where some customers saw different prices for the same product ordered at the same time from the same store. The practice has been widely criticized after a report from Consumer Reports and two advocacy groups Answercar claims of program was meant to help grocers and retailers learn more about what kinds of prices customers would pay for items. The company says they'll no longer support any item price testing services, which they've been offering to retailers since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Alight and less than ninety minutes, soll open. What are the futures?
Speaker 4: Saying?
Speaker 3: Still knock on wood in the green? The Dow is up slightly about a tenth of one percent, and Nazak gives up right now six tenths of a percent. Sp currently up four tens to one percent from Bloomberg. Dan Schwartzman on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred WLW Steve Hawkins in for Tom Brennaman this morning. He'll be back tomorrow morning to get your role in where you gotta go. Time to talk to former Cincinna Bengal Grade, Tim McGee with us this morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, Tim. How you doing out there?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 6: Steve?
Speaker 4: How are you good? Good?
Speaker 2: Always like listening to you, so we get to talk to you today while Tom's out. The first question I have I thought about this all morning. Zero points last week forty five points this week.
Speaker 4: What the heck happened? This is a tail of two teams.
Speaker 5: Well, yes and no. When it was competitive, the game's on the line, you you know, you got your playoff hopes, there's a lot of pressure and your opponent obviously it played a major role.
Speaker 7: In scoring no point.
Speaker 5: And in this case, you had a team in the Miami Dolphins. Don't get me wrong, I want to give the Bengals credit because they scored the forty five points. They got to win. However, you got the team in the Miami Dolphins that was pretty much shut things down, experimental mode. Let's see if we can get another quarterback. Let's get away from the you know, the heavy burden of the salary of Tua for the next four years or five years whatever whatever he had remaining on his contract. So and probably they were looking at draft positions.
Speaker 7: Obviously, for every game.
Speaker 5: You lose this time of the year, when you're not not in the playoffs, you're looking at a you know, a potential better player, better pick, and more options of that pick. So I think that pretty much sums up the Bengals play well. And if you pretty much with a glorified preseason game the way I looked at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then think about that way. That's why we talked to the expert. I want to talk offense first. How good is Chase Brown running?
Speaker 5: You know what he does?
Speaker 7: You give him credit?
Speaker 5: Is he one of the premier backs in the league?
Speaker 7: No, okay? Is he a solid back? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: He benefits from the system that the defense has to worry about those two premier you know, best wide receiver tandem in the National Football League. And obviously what compliments that is. You got one of the best, if not the best quarterback arguably in the in the NFL. So obviously you know your tight end position, whoever it may be you're running.
Speaker 7: Back then will benefit from that.
Speaker 5: And that's not to take anything away from his talent. That's just to say there's going to be some holes in the running games because defenses have to honor those guys outside.
Speaker 7: So yes, I mean he's doing it.
Speaker 5: He's doing it very well, and give him credit.
Speaker 2: I do know. If you saw this stat he's the first Bengals in history to have two receiving touchdowns and a rushing touchdown in the same game. And he did it like in seven minutes in the third quarter yesterday.
Speaker 5: You know, again the compliments himself. He's part of the and I got to give him credit in another aspect. He can catch the ball coming out.
Speaker 7: The backfield if he have to.
Speaker 5: Get soft hands, and you know, he performs well in the passing game, and that's tough nowadays to see someone that could run the ball effectively, throw block effectively, especially on third down and being on third down. You look at the Ravens, you look at a guy named like Derrick Henry. You know, we know he's going to play first and second down and third down he's going to be off the field less a short distance. So you know, you get a kid like Chase Brown that his talent allows him to be on the football field every single.
Speaker 8: Down, and the defense has to respect that.
Speaker 2: Joe b What a great game, twenty five for thirty two, three hundred and nine yards, four touchdowns. What more can we say about Joe Burrow that hasn't already been said?
Speaker 7: Nothing? Absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: We're in repeat mode when it comes to him, and that's okay, And I think that's wonderful because you know, last week I wouldn't say he struggled. He had a normal National Football League starting quarterback game. And this week he was back to whether the bar is so high he puts the bar for himself.
Speaker 7: He reached that bar.
Speaker 5: He played just outstanding football.
Speaker 7: He was in rhythm.
Speaker 5: And you know, I want you guys, all the listeners. No, this is the difference between planning in cold weather and planning warm weather. When you're planning warm weather, that passing game can.
Speaker 7: Be a huge part of your offense.
Speaker 5: And when you're planning those inclement weathers up in up in Ohio and Buffalo and Seattle, Man, you know, it's it's it's just a tough It's just tough, and it's a huge difference.
Speaker 2: I noticed they shoveled the entire stadium in Miami yesterday.
Speaker 5: They did, and they did a really good job. And I was really surprised, man. And if the sun came out and noted all the moisture and for some reason, man, it was amazing.
Speaker 8: The pants had on shorts and T shirts and sunglasses.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to talk about the defense here. But first off, how important we always talk about turnovers. Miami had four right there. I think of the third quarter turning into touchdowns. How important in the National Football League is turnovers.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a cliche that you've heard from the Paul Brown Bays and you will hear when you know, when I'm gone and in a better place. You can't win football games unless you win the turnover battle.
Speaker 7: And you can't give the ball away.
Speaker 5: Because teams are just too good. You're at the you're at the pinnacle of success, and to give someone advantage by handing them the ball, especially when you give them and you give up a field position, that's just kind of a two that you're going to pretty much come on come out on the short side of that. So you know, you got to be stingy with that football. And typically you see the top teams every single year that don't give the ball away, that win the turnover battle, and you know, you get tied of hearing the cliches, but it is absolutely true.
Speaker 7: You got to you got to have a run game, you gotta have you got.
Speaker 5: To have a great defense, and you got to, you know, win the turnover game.
Speaker 7: And if you do those.
Speaker 5: Things, you're going to be pretty pretty much successful.
Speaker 2: And we've seen that with this team this year with the turnovers. But let's move on to the defense. We're talking to Tim McGee's former s say, Bengal, what did you see about the defense yesterday and your thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: Nothing? Absolutely nothing. The jury's out, They wasn't playing against a top notch quarterback. You know, you have to go out and do it anyway, and they did for the most part. But the first couple of drives, you know, they look like they're how they've been playing, you know, all along and this year, and let's just face it, they're lasting defense, and they're they're for a reason. But again, this goes back to Steve where we're looking at a glorified preseason. The coaches, the management, the scouts, they're looking at who will be on the team in twenty twenty six. These guys are all of them right across the board. They're playing for their jobs.
Speaker 8: For twenty twenty six.
Speaker 7: Now, yeah, if.
Speaker 5: You're young, you got a fresh contract, you're a high pick, Yeah you're going to get another opportunity. But if you're on the cusp of making teams.
Speaker 7: They have to upgrade talent.
Speaker 5: And I'm talking on all three levels on defense. So I would think anyone would be safe as far as a starting position, but maybe, okay, you have a couple of guys that.
Speaker 8: Could play that will be on the team.
Speaker 5: Before the most For the most part, if they want to compete, especially in the AFC North, they got to get a.
Speaker 7: Defense and they and the defense has to have a major, major turnaround, all right.
Speaker 2: In the next two day games, I guess it's Cardinals and then the Browns. Are those, in your opinion, going to be like glorified preseason games just looking at people to see what they would do and if they fit the team for next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I would add one word, they're gonna be glorified high school exhibition games because she's not gonna be very competitive. You know, this is the time where you can just sit back and walk past the TV one hundred thousand times, take a nap for this is probably going to be some ugly football the next couple of weeks, but it's going to determine where they're picking in the draft.
Speaker 7: So it's kind of an oxy moron.
Speaker 5: They do well the last three game, going to three game win streak, and guess what they're picking in them, you know, towards twelve, eleven, thirteen, somewhere around that. I don't guess what if they lose, so you're rooting for him to win always.
Speaker 8: Anytime you put the uniform on, you.
Speaker 5: Want to win. But at the same time, you know a loss or two losses won't be the worst thing, and that could happen as far as draft position and this concern.
Speaker 2: All Right, Tim McGee, former Cincinnati Bengal wide receiver. With this, Tim, thanks so much. We'll talk to you next week. Okay.
Speaker 5: I appreciate your having me, Steve, And get Tom down at South Florida.
Speaker 8: Get him some sons so he can.
Speaker 2: Stop being absolutely that's what I'll tell him, all right, Thanks man. All right, it's coming up on eight eighteen and seven hundred WLW. Chuck Ingram in traffic this morning.
Speaker 5: Chuck.
Speaker 2: Yes, you see this new survey from Food and Wine. I did not what you find top holiday drinks around the trist oh about around in the United States. But in Indiana top holiday drink this year was espresso martini and that was for Kentucky. Also, okay, Ohio's was Amaretta sour. Really number one holiday drink in Ohio? Is that your drink?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: I thought that was kind of like a drink that was from the past, like an old lady drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nope, it's according to Food and Wine magazine. Huh, what's your drink? Yes, okay, free, free, there we go. I'll bring some free ones on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 9: Oh no, that's right. That's that's a wine without alcohol in Yeah, that's right. Okay, that's not what I met. Okay, I'm talking of the time with two e's two's.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, we talked earlier. This may be a more quiet week on the roads. What are you seeing right now? I think it will be and starting to get quieter. On northbound seventy five. There was an accident at Town Street. Had the right lane block, so that backtraffic through Saint Bernard. That wreck is clear, so I'm no longer seeing a delay northbound or southbound through Lachlan. This from the u SEE Health Traffic Center. You see Health.
Speaker 9: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at ucehealth dot com. The problem spot continues to be northbound two seventy five. There's an accident after you get passed twenty eight in Milford. The right lanes block traffic backs to the parkway and you're over a fifteen minute delay. Chucking from news radio seven hundred WLW the.
Speaker 2: Nine first Oney Weather Forecast Center. This afternoon, overcast raid day. It's gonna be milder, near fifty for a high, some showers, some maybe sprinkles after five o'clock today, low of forty three. Tomorrow is going to be cloudy with a high of fifty six twenty eight right now at your severe weather station, news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: All right, mister Pennay, I'm going to show you some images and you tell me what you see.
Speaker 10: That looks like Scott's Loan eating a meat loaf. And this one I see George Washington, Washington. Yeah, he's playing paper football with Scott's loan. And this one I see a man and a woman making love very good, but she wants him to hurry up so she can listen to Scott's Loan.
Speaker 6: Scott's Loan. You may become obsessed.
Speaker 2: Join me scott Sloan this morning at nine on seven hundred WLWW.
Speaker 6: You are a disturbed man.
Speaker 11: This report is sponsored by Jake Swaeney Automotive, serving the tri State for over one.
Speaker 1: Hundred years, it's red tag time at Jake Swinny Chevrolet.
Speaker 4: Together, let's drive and get zero percent APR.
Speaker 12: On twenty twenty six, we're Auto fifteen hundred cab Turbomax only at Jake Sweeny Chevalet, Try County.
Speaker 11: Run a business and not thinking about radio, think again, because more people are listening to the radio on iHeart today than they were twenty years ago. And only iHeart broadcast radio connects with more Americans than TV, digital, social, any other media, even twice as many teens than TikTok, and that reach means everything. Just think about the universal marketing formula. The number of consumers who hear your message times the response rate equals the results. Now, let's get those results growing for your business. Radio's here now more than ever, and Iheart's leading the way. Think radio can help your business. Think iHeart streaming, podcasting and radio where the reach is real. Let us show you at iheartadvertising dot Com. That's Iheartadvertising dot Com. Or call eight four four eight four four iHeart one more time. Just call eight four to four eight four four iHeart and get radio working for you.
Speaker 1: Do you own a small business?
Speaker 4: A seismic shift is coming. It's time to get super sure. Hi, it's Jui being served.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg money minute on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: This is a Bloomberg money minute. Gold and silver continue to shine, soaring to all time highs. Both medals are firmly on course for their strongest annual gain since nineteen seventy nine. The latest push comes as traders bet the Federal Reserve will cut interest rates twice next year. Gold has surged by nearly seventy percent in twenty twenty five. Well, it looks like Sana is giving a gift to stock investors this morning. Futures are on the rise ahead of the Christmas holiday. Tech shares are leading the way, with the Nasdaq one hundred poise to wipe out December's losses. The New York Stock Exchange will close early on Wednesday, no trading on Thursday, but traders back in action for a full session on Friday, and the CEO of seven eleven is retiring at the end of the month. Joe Dipinto ran the convenience store chain for the past two decades and orchestrated its expansions through the acquisition of Speedway and Sonoco Gas stations seven to eleven. Is now I'm the hunt for a new leader. The chain got its start almost a century ago. Cortney Donahope, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: It's eight forty three, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Steve Hawkins and for Tom Brennaman sat for Mondays with Marty.
Speaker 4: Marty Brenneman joining me this morning. Hey, good morning, Marty. How are you?
Speaker 12: I'm good, Steve, how are you you too?
Speaker 2: Happy holidays? I want to ask you some college football. I know you're a college.
Speaker 6: Football fan, right I am, Yes, I am.
Speaker 2: I want to know for me in the basketball tournament, I always root for an underdog getting to the sweet sixteen or the eight. I got to tell you over the weekend, I did not care about a Tulane Ole Miss game or a JMU Oregon game. Didn't have an interest in it, didn't watch munch, just moved on with my life.
Speaker 4: Is Is Is that what you thought about it?
Speaker 7: Or?
Speaker 2: Did you like having some of these underdogs new teams in there?
Speaker 12: I like having them in see but I don't and and I don't think there's an easy Well, the easy answer is neither one of those teams deserved to be in it, based on the ability to compete against the people they had to play against. Yeah, I mean James Madison could not beat Oregon on its best day if Oregon played its worst game of the season, And the same was true with Too Lane.
Speaker 6: An Ole Miss.
Speaker 12: But I don't think the I don't think that the college football people can eliminate that level of division.
Speaker 6: Ie if they try to, I.
Speaker 12: Think there would be so many lawsuits level against the NCAA and everybody connected with college football. I don't know that you need two of.
Speaker 6: Them in there now.
Speaker 12: Maybe down the road when they redo this thing for the young team time, they will limit it to one school because both of those schools had great years against the comp petition they played, but they can't play against that competition.
Speaker 2: Sure, did the committee get it right when they put when they got rid of Notre Dame and put these two teams in.
Speaker 4: Would you have rather seen a Notre Dame Ole Miss or a Notre Dame Oregon.
Speaker 12: Game without a doubt? You know, I feel the same way Notre Dame did. They got screwed in that deal, and I think it's unfortunate. You know, they lose their first two games of the season, and then they run off ten wins in a row, and at the end of the year they were playing just about as well as anybody in college football, with maybe the exceptions of you know, the teams at rank one and two, and that was Indiana and Ohio State, and I think Notre Dame deserved to be in it. And that's why there are some things that I think need to be tweets. If somebody made the recommendation, and I don't know who it was, I heard a group of guys talking about it, they ought to rank the top six teams. It makes no difference what conference you're from. You know, just right one to sixteen and let it. That's it, and then you go to the final twelve that play for the College football Championship.
Speaker 6: To me, that's simple.
Speaker 12: I'm sure there's some shortcomings to that too, but the system still is not right, and they've worked like a dog to get it right and they haven't been able to do it yet.
Speaker 4: But do you see suggestions and changes coming for next year?
Speaker 12: I think they could add four more teams maybe, and I don't know what that would do except maybe mundy to water even more.
Speaker 6: But I like the idea.
Speaker 12: I like having a playoff like this, I think it sustains interest in college football rather than having a high number of games, you know, the normal traditional bowl games on New Year's Day, Rose Sugar and all the Fiesta Bowl, all the rest of those games. And I think it maintains interest up till I think the championship games like on January the twentieth or something like that. But they will, Yes, there will be changes, I would imagine next year.
Speaker 6: I think so yeah, all.
Speaker 4: Right, this week a couple of big games.
Speaker 2: Does Alabama have a chance against Indiana and Miami against Ohio State on New Year's Eve?
Speaker 4: What do you feel with these games?
Speaker 6: I think no and no. You know, I watched the Miami.
Speaker 12: The Miami game was really interesting football game against Texas A and m.
Speaker 6: And whoever they play. I forget.
Speaker 12: Alabama was just very impressive after falling behind by seventeen to nothing score. But I don't think either one of those teams can play against Indiana or Ohio State. I really don't. I really think that. You know, Oregon is a team that you need to keep an eye on. That's good football team, but whether or not they can play with the top two when it gets down to the end.
Speaker 6: I don't know, but I don't I don't think.
Speaker 12: I don't think either one of those teams can can play with Indiana and in Ohio State. And of course they've had two weeks or more to rest and get ready.
Speaker 6: And uh, I'm looking.
Speaker 12: Forward to seeing both of them because I've got a grandson, Thomas Sons, a junior. In fact, he's doing the Rose Bowl game that's this weekend on January on January one on the campus radio station in Pasadena. Yeah, and so I'm rooting for Indiana and I'm rooting for Ohio State down the stretch.
Speaker 4: Do you think they're going to meet again for the championship game.
Speaker 12: I think they've got a real good chance of playing again, And quite honestly, if they do, I don't. I don't like Indiana's chances of beating Ohio State a second time.
Speaker 6: I really don't. But we'll see a great matchup.
Speaker 2: Talking to Marty brenhaman another minute or some are the Reds out of money?
Speaker 4: Are they going to make more moves? What are you seeing there?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 12: I think they got to. I mean they've talked. I think everybody knows that. For the last two or three years, the one thing they really needed worse than anything was a power hitter in the middle of the lineup, and so far they've not been able to do it going into twenty four, and they weren't able to do it going into twenty five, and it hurt them as far as run production is concerned. They've got as good a pitching rotation as I think there is in their own division, and one of the best in Major League Baseball. But they've really got to find somebody that can hit the ball consistently out of the ballpark to take some of the pressure off the young guys that they've got that that would be surrounding him. They'll figure out some way, I'm sure to come up with an addition to this club before the season begins in late March.
Speaker 2: I would think so, yeah, yeah, But they, if I remember correctly, they don't have a lot of money to spend anymore.
Speaker 4: Is that the way to say it?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 12: It looks like that, But there are ways around that. You deferred money and all kinds of things. You know that, being in the financial business, how that works. Yes, I think I think they Yeah, I think they can figure that out. Not to the point where they could sign a Kyle Schwarber or somebody like that, but I think they can figure that part out.
Speaker 4: Marty, a pleasure talking to you.
Speaker 2: Have a great Christmas season, and hopefully we'll get to talk to you next Monday, all right, I.
Speaker 12: Hope, so Steve, happy Merry Christmas and hopefully we'll chat again.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks so much. Monday's with Marty right here. Gay pal Tom Brenneman showed Tom's out today. He should be back tomorrow morning at five oh six. Somebody that did come in today, it was Chuck Abra.
Speaker 5: Chuck.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you made it, and we've been talking all morning. You're expecting a slower, less busy week in traffic this week.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards when you asked me a little bit earlier this morning that it would be, because I think quite a few schools are already out for this two week break. And now I'm now I'm convinced of it, because, for instance, you wouldn't even see southbound seventy five wide open through Lachland. If this were a normal day, you'd have a huge delay there, and I haven't seen break lights there all morning long. That's how quiet things have been given a couple of accidents. This from the UC Health Traffic Center. And you see health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more. You seehealth dot com. And even where there were recks, traffics getting better, like northbound two seventy five. What's left to the accident after you got past twenty eight in Milford. It's on the right shoulder. There's minimal delays to get by now north bend seventy five. They cleared the accident at Town Street a while ago. That's looking good. Out of Saint Bernard into Lachland. Chuck Ingram, News Radio seven hundred WLW all.
Speaker 2: Right, the WCPO First WARNT nine First Warning Weather Forecast Center says it's going to be an overcast day today, milder. We're gonna get to about forty eight degrees. I like to call that near fifty. And then tonight isolated showers moving in rush hour coming out home tonight after five, Some sprinkles out there, not too concerning, she says, So showers can continue throughout the night. Low about forty three cloudy tomorrow and fifty six. You're ready for Christmas Eve looks like mostly cloudy, scattered rain, possible late high of fifty six, and then Christmas Day you.
Speaker 4: Ready for this.
Speaker 2: Christmas Day should be mostly cloudy, scattered rain, possibly all day long. High on Christmas Day will be sixty three, which is likely one of the warmest Christmases on record.
Speaker 4: Wow, at least to being the top five.
Speaker 2: They think it's still twenty eight At your severe weather station news radio seven.
Speaker 4: Hundred wl W.
Speaker 2: Scott Sloan is next after the news.
Speaker 1: Willy gives me hope, and these days we can all use some.
Speaker 4: Willy is here for you, no matter how lousy my day is.
Speaker 2: I know I can count on Willy to turn things around here to soothe your fears.
Speaker 4: I wish I could find a man just like Willie, like the great American that I am. He uses lots of big words. I use lots of big words too. It's almost like we're twins.
Speaker 3: All you have to do is listen to me, the Great America, Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 1: Today at twelve noon on seven hundred WLW
Speaker 4: Gear up like the pros at the Bengals Pro Shop