Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on A five seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada Gus terrible person, He's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 2: Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 4: We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: And cover.
Speaker 1: One condition you a dance with us everything you see your father, then you see me, your feel me. Yes, here's what you need.
Speaker 2: That does happen to you?
Speaker 4: Petro saying money a five sebody la Sports. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Fourth and final hour. We have got three in the books. You can get anything you miss via PMS on demand, that is the Petros and Money podcast through the iHeartRadio app. Of course, you can always stream the show live. Same goes with Dodger games from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth. Tomorrow just after three thirty pm. If you're in the Greater LA area, you can hear Dodger games on your smart device through the iHeartRadio app. All you gotta do is tap that AM five to seventy LA Sports tab. We have got college football tomorrow Clemson North Carolina kickoff at nine am, and then Sunday we'll have Chargers commanders on KFI AM six forty Chargers trying to shake off that loss to the Giants. Jayden Daniels will get to start after missing the previous two weeks with the knee injury. That kickoff is at one twenty five with Daniel Jeremiah, Shannon Ferrin and me.
Speaker 3: That's right, you Matt, you crazy guy. Well, Shannon's on the field, and try to get a hold of James Daniels' mom and maybe, like interviewer on the pregame show or heard, she's gotta going uns.
Speaker 4: It's not a bad idea, not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: Local tie there.
Speaker 4: You can talk about coming home exactly right, watching her son play and everything. I mean, I do feel like missus Daniels makes her presence felt in the stands. You know exactly where she is and you know, we have those field suites, so I'd imagine she's going to be in one of those, right behind the commander's bench, so as to be able to intervene. If any of the the young ladies in the stands are trying to, you know, make eyes at her son, she can just hop up over that little glass bar.
Speaker 3: Poke their eyes like the three stooges. That's right, damn your eyes poop all right. Brought to you by Concordia University, Irvine and the Masters in Coaching Program and podcast featuring Tim Kates. It is the final our fun Fact.
Speaker 5: In effect, it's the yeah We're three fun.
Speaker 4: Facts fun Fact, Final Hour Fun FACTP is brought to you by our friends over at Concordia. Tim Kates can tell you with those eighty plus episodes of podcasts. At the Concordia University of Irvine Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program serves this as a fact. Over five thousand coaches and administrators have graduated from their Master's program. Find out more at CUI dot edu slash Coaching. Two Cities p connected by one iconic show. Born in nineteen fifty two, American Bandstand was broadcast locally for Philadelphia on a Philadelphia television station WPVIIITV, and it may have stayed there for its entirety. Hosted by Bob Horn. Prior to becoming a national treasurer. Horn got popped for dui and running a prostateution ring, so he gets fired from the show and they hire a wide eyed with Big dreams on super stardom, twenty six year old Dick Clark.
Speaker 3: Because Horn was a pimp.
Speaker 4: Yes, he was a pimp. So Clark gets the gig and he says, this is bigger than Philly. He presents it to ABC president Tom Moore, it gets picked up for national broadcast. They move the show to Los Angeles, and instead of featuring local Philadelphia acts, it features the biggest musicians in the world, teenagers sex presented on national television, and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Well, they didn't have sack well.
Speaker 4: Sex in a more innocent form. You know, you might just be dancing around in your tight.
Speaker 3: Team, but you know what you don't want to do. You're exactly right, Yeah, that's what all this boils down. Do that's right to hell and having a good time. Hey, Bob, what happened to that endstand thing? I saw it's in La now and there's some young kid on there. Ah.
Speaker 4: I was running the toots.
Speaker 3: I ran A lot of dudes got busted for running. But now look they're like they're doing the dirty buggy and I'm the bad guy. Time for quick.
Speaker 2: Guess something nice, quick, hitch, I'll make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dodgers in Philly in the NLDS Game one on Saturday in Philly. Earlier in Philly, shoe al Tani met the media with his translator. Well, the thrill and hearing it, what do you.
Speaker 6: Think is just going to be the emotions of you taking the mound tomorrow for your first time in the postseason.
Speaker 7: I'm just really looking forward to it.
Speaker 8: Sure, hey, you've been in this environment before. People talk about being intimidated or the stage being too big for other players, But in your case, do you actually live for these type of moments, being in these hostile environments to perform at your best.
Speaker 4: We must get on.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 7: I'm sure I'll be nervous, nervous at times, but more than that, I'm just really grateful that I get to play baseball, and you know, at this time of the year, and you know, just be healthy is really important to me, so I'm just grateful for for that.
Speaker 9: Sure, Hey, how important was that start you had against the Phillies a couple of weeks ago, just in terms of being able to be that good against a team that's that talented And was that like the first time you really felt like you had moved out of the rehab phase of your pitching progression this year?
Speaker 10: That's about.
Speaker 2: Day about.
Speaker 11: A.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm very glad that I was able to end the rehab progression at that moment, and specifically about the postseason and facing the Phillies, you know, they're a really good team. With that being said, we're coming up through the wild card side, so we're in a position to be the challenger.
Speaker 12: So Hey, Jason Dumas six ABC here in Philadelphia, what do you know about the Philadelphia fan base if if anything, and what are you expecting out of the atmosphere.
Speaker 10: Tomorrowcuse you, it's about us.
Speaker 7: They're known to be very passion fans. The atmosphere I'm sure is going to be passionate and rocking as well. And one thing I do know is that they say really good Philly's cheese steak at the Clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Some highlights from that. Shoe Hay says he'll be a little nervous but excited about making his first pitching performance in the postseason. Shoe Hey when asked about what he knows about Philly fans, They're very passionate, he said, and also that he loves the cheese steaks they serve in the visiting clubhouse.
Speaker 4: I think that's pretty right down the middle, right, pardon the pun. Yes, the Philly fans are passionate right.
Speaker 3: Right there, man. I mean you know what, there's no bullet board material there.
Speaker 4: No, the cheese steaks are good.
Speaker 3: Unless you lost the contract for the clubhouse cheese steaks. You know, maybe hits some Baltimore material. We hear ass so good. Let's hear from Roger Dodger manager Dave Roberts and some of his media time earlier in Citizens Bank Ballpark.
Speaker 8: Dave, have you made any determination on what Will Smith's role will be in this series?
Speaker 13: Can he catch?
Speaker 8: Do you plan on carrying all three catchers? Again?
Speaker 13: He's getting better each day.
Speaker 11: He's gonna take a live participate in live batting practice here shortly, so we'll gather more information.
Speaker 13: But if it goes well, we'll carry three catchers.
Speaker 11: And then you know, as far as availability, not sure yet, but he will be available to catch, just trying to you know, be mindful of haven't caught in a long time, and then kind of looking at the series and what he could the capacity could take on. So those are things that are kind of going through our heads right now. But yeah, expecting this live VP to go well, him active, and then from that point on we'll kind of figure out from there.
Speaker 8: We've all assumed how you may line up your rotation in this series. But how do you see game two in game three?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So I think that you know, we're thinking about Yamamoto or Snell than Yamamoto, and I think just having the ability for Glass to be available game one is huge and then pitch a potential Game four is also huge. So that's kind of what we're thinking right now.
Speaker 8: Do you see Kershaw fitting into this series at all?
Speaker 11: Yeah, he's he'll be on the roster and he's going to be out of the pen and used as such.
Speaker 6: Dave, you've spoke about using roki and leverage after the wild Card series. How you know, would you put him in a safe situation?
Speaker 11: I would, I would I think that the way he's handled himself up to this point, there's been no signs for me, which I had assumed that the moment would be too big, and I have full confidence in whatever leverage role we put them in.
Speaker 6: Do you think that the way that Roki has risen to the occasion and kind of adapted to this new relief role so quickly can kind of spark the rest of the bullpen in a sense?
Speaker 13: I think so. I think, I hope so.
Speaker 11: I hope it's something that energizes the guys in the pen, motivates them, because you know, everyone wants innings and opportunities, and so hopefully with what Roki's done, motivates guys to go after guys and pitch well and so they can earn those opportunities as well.
Speaker 4: I would say, also, no bulletin board material there now just nip Matt.
Speaker 3: You talked about the Padres in your top story Last Hour. A video has a merged of Padres players Xander Bogart's and Jose Iglesias getting in a heated confrontation with the home played umpire DJ Rayburn as the latter exited the field through the San Diego dugout at Wrigley Field, which is a real baseball stadium, just like Dodger Stadium. Following the Padres Game three loss to the Cubs on Thursday, the tension got to the point that Iglesias had to be held back as Go Cubs Go plays in the background.
Speaker 4: It is an interesting backdrop. You got a hold the drunk screaming that stupid song. He's trying to tear the umpire's head off. The umpire's barking back at him.
Speaker 3: There's some pretty insufferable fan bases, including ours. Yeah, left, you got the Cubs hanging around, the Yankees, hanging around the Phillies, hanging around the people in Seattle. Get so drunk, you know, right after first pitch of Game one. I mean, they can't handle it. Oh come on, dude.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, Hey, Chicago, what do you say the Cubs are gonna win to day? They they I guess because they play it after the wins. Well, the Cubs have already won. The Cubs are.
Speaker 3: Gonna ride well, you know, you're splitting hairs. You know, it's maybe it's something they play on the way to the game as they're all day drunk.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, it's disaster. Enough with the Eddie Vedder, enough with the Eddie Vetter.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't like his new facelift.
Speaker 4: I mean looks good. You know, I'm sure he paid for it. You know that that seems I don't give away those things work. Yeah, that thing seems like top shelf work. Lakers look like an animal human hybrid.
Speaker 3: Tip off the preseason tonight versus the Suns in Palm Desert. No, Lebrono Luca, what are we doing? Oh god No. The decision to hold a twenty six year old star was made by Don Chic and the Lakers performance team, taking into consideration his euro Basket part. It's like basketball players can't play basketball for five minutes.
Speaker 4: No he I mean that euro Basket was like a month ago.
Speaker 3: They want to keep the long term in mind. Lakers will also set out Marcus Smart, MAXI Kleeber and I do Ceio. If you like Brownie, oh, I do get ready, and then he's gonna hit some long He's gonna go out to the Sunrise Country Club and hit some dry.
Speaker 4: I got the bug, man, I got the bug, can't get rid of it. It's so mentally challenging, and you know me, I love anything that's mentally challenging.
Speaker 3: Media kid, I didn't know nothing about it.
Speaker 5: People said, if you ever get into the game and the bug grab you is over it, And I definitely have it.
Speaker 3: Man. I started.
Speaker 5: I literally started playing in July for the first time in my life. And I love everything about it. I think the best thing that I've gotten out of it, besides like the how competitive and hard it is and the mental challenge, which I love. Anything that's mentally challenging I love. But how just you just get away from the world. You out there on the green, no phones, no phones. My phone stays in the cart the whole time. I check it from time to time. But it's just like I play my music, come out there with my guys, you out there and just in the world, and uh, I can lose my mind into the game of golf.
Speaker 3: Media can't find you, Lebron bro.
Speaker 4: Medi media can't find you, Lebron. Media, media can't find you, Lebron.
Speaker 3: Jeez, try to keep it in your pants. Media can't find you, Lebron. Clippers tip off the preseason next Sunday twelve versus the Nuggets. Media can't find you. Then he won't be there I'm breathless. Who can't find Chargers host the commanches on Sunday? Excuse me? The Commanders at SOFI one five kickoff on a six. Raiders take on the Colts on Sunday ten am kickoff from Indy tight end Brock Bowers as a knee and Michael Mayer as a concussion. All are questionable to play.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you remember the jeep commandchee is like a truck back in the day. Everybody loved that thing with the big four four tires on it.
Speaker 3: It was no issusu amigo, but it was nice, so it was no super rude bratt. The Rams lost last night and overtime to the Niners. Sean McVay oyve.
Speaker 14: Out thought about maybe trying to draw him off sides. I took one, they took the other. And it was a poor decision by me right there. But you know, you give the Niners credit. They made enough plays to be able to win the football game. We had plenty of chances throughout this game. You know, we stayed in it, we fought, we battled, but there's a lot of things that we have to be able to clean up and a lot of football left. But I'm pretty sick right now. I'm sick of the spot that I put our group in to end the game. But hey, these are the tough beats that you got to be able to learn from and move forward.
Speaker 3: And that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: There we go. That's right, And Matt Sean mcva ain't the guy that fumbled at the one yard line.
Speaker 3: The NFL.
Speaker 4: Is going to find some stuff out exposed. Yeah, we're gonna find some stuff out out. A Supreme Court unanimously seven zero rejects the NFL's request or rehear its decision to allow John Gruden's lawsuit against the league to proceed in public. Gruden sued the league sued Commissioner Goodell in twenty twenty one, claimed it was a malicious and orchestrated campaign to destroy his career by leaking his old emails that included offensive language. The lawsuit was filed shortly after Gruden resigned as Raiders coach, as he was fired for cause, meaning he doesn't get his salary. And on top I'm sure Mark Davis figured something out to try to smooth that thing over as best as possible. At the same time, this thing goes to Discovery, and that means you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get a lot. They're gonna settle with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're going to have to cut a big check, I think to get Grudin to forget about this thing.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll forget it.
Speaker 4: Ah, have you seen my son out there working with Colton Miller. You've seen my son out there. He's an assist in strength coach with the Raiders. Now work over there. If coach Crudin was smart, what do he do is he's opening these boxes on social media from all these schools that sit in.
Speaker 3: A box of cash. Oh look who it is? It the bilvelope from the NFL. Let's open it? Shall we twenty seven million dollars?
Speaker 4: It's gonna be it's gonna be more than that. Yeah, this guy, Uh, you want to keep all your secret secret?
Speaker 3: How about a.
Speaker 4: Hundred million bucks? Each team's chipping in three girls. Yeah, that's that's it. Hey, each team, you're on the hook for three mil. We're giving him ninety six million bucks. We screwed this call of to day. Sorry, I'm Roger Goodell and I'm an idiot. We'll be back with more Petro sand money. On m five seventy LA sparts back out to Philly for more Dodger reaction. Next, We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all summer with LA Sports, Trust some money A five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Full four hour show today. The Dodgers Philly series does not start until tomorrow. We have got college football tomorrow as well, nine am window Clemson versus North Carolina and that will be followed by, of course, Playoff Baseball. David Basse brought to you by Service Titan Southern California. Commercial and residential contractors using Service Titan software typically see a seventeen percent increase in revenue in their first two years. Earn more go to Service Titan dot Com. Individual results may vary.
Speaker 1: Davidse of the Dodgers with an inside look at the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: This is the Vass Report with David Vasse.
Speaker 3: Live from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. David Vasse with the Dodgers. Nobody does a better job. Nobody brings out the personality of a team quite like David Vase Spectrum Sports Net, MLB TV and right here on the Petros and Money Show in AMPI seventy LA Sports workout today out there in Philly, and we are excited to talk to Dave about what's the latest on your southern California Toyota do their celebrity hotline. What's cracked? Dave?
Speaker 15: Hey, I'm out here at Citizens Bank Park. The Dodgers are working out for another hour and a half. Again, I'm actually lifting the morale of the training staff and the training and the strength staff. Coach Travis Smith is to my left and one of the legendary coach Travis Smith, of course, and coach Possum Nakajima also is here as well.
Speaker 3: So, Dave, the trip went smoothly. You were out last night?
Speaker 13: Pressed?
Speaker 3: No, Hey, way to go those guys speech. I don't know why their morale needs to be lifted. Why are they upset? Did they not get to go to that bar with you last night? What's the deal?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Exactly, they did not show up. But yeah, Blake Snell's going to start Game two. That's right, show, Hey, o Tani is going to start Game one, and Yamamoto, on a full week of rest, will be pitching Game three, the first home game for the NLDS and the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Dave, how much how much if any do you take away from the regular season meetings between these two. I know there's some good, there's some not good. You had the Blake Snell shut out in the final game of that series. You know, a couple of weeks ago, you have what looks like and the two starts that that Sanchez wasn't that great. I didn't remember. It wasn't that dominant against this team like he was so many others.
Speaker 15: Well, when you look at, uh, the just the matchups of this series, the good news for the Dodger is Blake Snell, who is going to be pitching Game two, really matches up well and held down this lineup. And it's all about the timing of the season, right John Manningly used to talk about this. Dave Roberts talks about it now. It's about the timing and when you're catching a team. And right now, Yamamoto is one of the hottest pitchers and all of the majors.
Speaker 4: Who's messing with you, who's messing with you?
Speaker 15: Dave got to steal my microphone. We need you, Dave boy toys. I got to move away.
Speaker 3: Get away from the Philly fanatic over there or whatever the hell's happening.
Speaker 15: I will. Yeah, see it's like the Philly fanatic of the Dodgers. That's right. But really, the matchups of this of this series I think really favor the Dodgers, and not a lot of people are talking about how good the Dodgers are. You read different things about just what their flaws are and how good the Phillies are. At some point there's got to be some sort of acknowledgment of the talent that Dodgers have and how well they've been playing coming into this series. They've worn seven in a row coming into the NLDS. I think everybody fails to recognize that as well.
Speaker 4: Playoff roster for the Ds. Dave, how much Clayton Kershaw do you think we're going to see?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Great question. I asked Dave Roberts in the press conference whether or not Kershaw is indeed going to be part of the NLDS roster, and he said, yeah, he's going to be part of the roster and he's going to be part of the Dodger bullpen. The other big question as far as the Dodger roster goes is Will Smith and his availability. I've been told that there's a very good chance that Will Smith could start behind the plate tomorrow night, but it's all contingent on how he comes out of what the workout looks like tonight, and how he wakes up tomorrow morning. So Will Smith is going to be part of the roster, just a big question about whether or not he's going to be able to catch.
Speaker 3: What did you make of Otani speaking today? It's going to be his first start in the postseason as a pitcher. Did it seem any different than he usually is? Do you think he'll I mean, he's such a machine. Do you think it'll affect him at all?
Speaker 15: Petros? If there's one guy that I don't believe this environment will affect is show Heo Tani. I've asked him on several different occasions about hitting, pitching, pitching somewhere, pitching at home, first time pitching. He's just really good at compartmentalizing things, and I think we saw that last year, you know, with everything that went down in Korea and just how he completely blocked that out, and he says he separates the pitcher show, HEO Tani away from the hitter show, HEO Tani, and he understands what the environment is going to be like here. But I think also we have to recognize he's the best player on the planet, and guys like that don't crumble in these type of settings. They actually thrive and live for trying to silence the crowd. And I think that's what we're going to see tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: They've agree with this or not, because you mentioned it with Snell and just you could kind of see it when he was talking in the post game how dominant he was out there. Feel like Game one is absolutely mandatory for the Phillies to win if they're going to win this series. Kind of thoughts on that if Otani can knock out their cy young candidate and then you get that ball to Snell on Monday.
Speaker 15: Money being here in Philadelphia, there's a lot of talk that this may be the last opportunity for these core group of Phillies to have a chance to win the World Series together. If they don't win, there's a likelihood that Kyle Schwarber is not re signed. There's a lot of moving parts where this team would look a lot different next year. So if the Dodgers come in here and steal game one from the Phillies in a short series, there's a lot of pressure on the Phillies and I I'm frankly after just getting the pulse of the city and being here all day, it would be a very anxious crowd to start game two if the Dodgers are able to steal game one, and I think that's what the Dodgers are looking at.
Speaker 3: Can you give the listeners an idea of what Schwarber is, like, what kind of player he is if they haven't seen that much of him, and how you would compare him to maybe somebody that we know a little bit better out here, you know, like Otani or another dominant hitter over the years, you know, Bellinger or something.
Speaker 15: Yeah. I mean I talked to Kevin Long, the Phillies hitting coach, and Howie Kendrick, who's actually a roving instructor with the Phillies now, and they just talked about how Kyle Schwarber, since coming to Philadelphia has just changed his approach at the plate, and that's the reason why he was able to hit fifty six home runs. He obviously has a lot of holes and does strike out, but he's using the bigger part of the field. He's going to left field more than he ever has in his career because he kind of something click for him in that respect. But he's a guy that I still think has more flaws in his game than O'tani does as a hitter, and the Dodgers have you know, I think another dynamic and subplot to this series is the fact that Otani is probably he's super competitive and probably upset and resentful over the fact that Kyle Schwarber hit one more home run than him during the regular season. And I feel like it's such a unique situation. How you have one guy that hit fifty five home runs as the pitcher facing the guy that hit one more fifty six, And I think he's going to take it personal. And you know, I don't want to say he's going to try to embarrass Shoorber to begin the game, but I think he's going to try to embarrass him with a couple of different pitches.
Speaker 4: Dave the I think it's safe to say the X factor, not that you know, we would expect any less but Tao in that wild Card round and just the two home runs and the clutch hitting in the Game two after the misque in the first inning. What about this series? Who are you looking at? I mean, I guess Will Smith would be an easy one to look at if he's right. The guy was damn near the batting champ in the National League. But what player are you kind of keeping an eye on that you think might be a good matchup against these Phillies.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think the Dodgers Andy pa Has he seemed to be trying to do too much in that a wildcard series. I think he could be an X factor in this series. And from the Philly side, Harrison Bader, who when he got traded to the Phillies hit over three hundred and has been a big reason why the Phillies outfield has been so much better since the trade deadline. So I'm looking if you're looking at two guys that nobody are not household names in either city, I'm going to pick the two outfielders Paz and Bader that could change the way this series outcome plays out.
Speaker 3: Do you listen to the streets of Philadelphia on your headphones when you walk around out there.
Speaker 15: I listened to Atlantic City. See look at that song off Nebraska.
Speaker 3: Hm, great minds?
Speaker 4: Yeah you called it p I just said, they're not you know the streets of Philadelphia, and Dave's snapping photos that say Philly after dark, and I'm like, I wonder if he's just kind of taking it easy and relaxing and getting.
Speaker 15: Deep insting movie. Very Luckily, my health is knock on wood very good right now. But if my health was ailing, maybe I would.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, Why would you?
Speaker 4: I was bruised and I was bad.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna go see that Springsteen movie? You dork?
Speaker 15: I asked my kids if they would go with me. They said absolutely not, so I might be that loser in the movie theater, all alone in.
Speaker 3: The back tramps like us.
Speaker 15: See the Superman movie with me? Either? And I watched that on the way that Philly. I loved it.
Speaker 3: When are you What are you gonna do? Tonight?
Speaker 15: I got a reservation at one of my favorite Italian restaurants here in Philadelphia. You go downstairs and there's like a cave like setting to be able to eat.
Speaker 3: Your dinner, Like Lesorda would go there.
Speaker 15: Lasorda used to go to this place in South Philly called the Staloon, cash only restaurant, no taxes.
Speaker 3: All right, Dave, we love you. Have a great time out there. Enjoy yourself and we will talk on Monday. Have a great weekend, and thank you so much for all the great, invaluable coverage that you provide. Appreciate it, brother.
Speaker 15: Thank you guys yesterday for opening the show with so many nice things. I'm not used to that, so I was waiting for the punchline, but it never came, so I appreciate it well.
Speaker 3: After that, today we're bruised in bad I don't get used to it, all right, bruised.
Speaker 15: In bed Okay, Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 4: Enjoy Philadelphia, man.
Speaker 3: A real scene set, which is why you needed it twice. We are your Dodger station and we have to get you ready for the game tomorrow. Thank you to David Vasse for all the great coverage. We'll be right back and wrap up the show with a dead and a live guy. Birthday of the day. A big thank you to Ronnie Fassio at Ronnie Fossio on Twitter. You can check the playlist at Tim Kats on Twitter. No scam tomorrow, but he will have college football Dead and Alive coming up next.
Speaker 2: Hello, PMS listener.
Speaker 1: Did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Rodney, That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of Record, Clipper Talk Without a Muscle, follow us all, and many more. Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: App Okay Mercifully coming to an end with the Dodger game looming tomorrow, First pitch at three point thirty eight PM. Pregame starts at two thirty. It's all laid out for us, Matt like a patient etherized on a table.
Speaker 4: Indeed, it is. The divisional round is set. It is Dodgers, Phillies and Cubs versus Brewers. So should the Dodgers advance, it'll be somebody out of the Central a team that they had to work through when they went to the World Series in the past. Should be a hell of a series, something you're gonna want to pay close attention to, especially with sho hail Tany making his first ever playoffs start tomorrow against Christopher Sanchez. Going to be a great great series, a great game, and no doubt with all the stuff Scam's been doing, we're doing here. David Vasse on Dodger Talk and Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck. What a time to be the home of the World Series champion Dodgers. My god, it's great to be alive.
Speaker 3: Even Fred and Rodney, you know though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh that's right, what friend, Rodney, you're doing those guys.
Speaker 3: Too, Sorry, no, don't be Tomorrow Clemson versus North Carolina, Kates will be on that Tabbo versus Bill All Kates all the time.
Speaker 4: I'll take my scooter from one studio over to the other.
Speaker 3: And then Sunday we got Chargers Commanders here. Dogs in Beautiful Los Angeles kick off at one twenty five on KFI A M six forty. That's Matt, Shannon and Daniel of course, Matt, your dead guy. Birthday of the day, before we say goodbye to a fruitful week in great sports Talk. Jamaican Dow Oh.
Speaker 4: You got the pig instead.
Speaker 13: It's Jamaica News, Ros doing.
Speaker 3: I've only eaten chicken today. The father the popularity globally of reggae music is a Chinese guy. It's a story well, it's a story we often tell, whether it's him or his son Clive, or his wife Patty. But he would have been eighty seven today, Randy Chin, and it really is an amazing story. Born in Kingston and he died back in two thousand and three. Chinese guy. His father was a carpenter who left China and moved to Cuba, then permanently settled in Jamaica in nineteen twenty. In the fifties, teenage Randy Chin oversaw the stalking and overseeing of jukeboxes in bars around the island for a businessman who owned a bunch of bars. He kept the excess and the doubled records and used them to open Randy's record store. It was just an early place selling Caribbean records, which was rare, and that was on East and Tower Street in Kingston. Keeping the records and having the foresight to do it was the foundation of his business and the success of reggae. It turns out all over the world, I mean, all your white guy reggae bands in San Diego have this Chinese guy to think. He then started recording local artists and selling local music in Jamaica that he had early success with a Calypso singer named Lord Creator and then a guy who became a huge reggae star, the song that tied as high as his John Holt and Alton Ellis. He moved the store to an old ice cream parlor on North Parade Street with his wife Patty, and they built a recording studio up above, and that was the Studio seventeen, and that took off. That's where where Lee Scratch Perry recorded, Bob Marley and the Whalers. That's where Slide Dunbar was discovered. Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Johnny Nash, the guy who saying I can see clearly now, Augustus Pablo, they all got their start there. His son, Clive Chen is still going today and the wife, Miss Patty, are still going today. Because of violence in Jamaica in nineteen seventy nine, they moved the whole business out of Jamaica to New York Queens, Jamaica Queens of course New York, and they opened VP Records of the V for Vincent his first name, and P for Patty the wife, and that is the largest distributor of reggae music on Earth. They have a vent Yeah they acquired Green Sleeves, They did a deal with Atlantic, a distribution deal, and they still are the number one reggae label in the world. And it's still run by the Chin family. That is VP Records all from Randy's Records way back in Jamaica in the fifties. Randy had diabetes and died in Miami after leaving New York and retiring there in two thousand and three. But the Randy's Records really is an amazing story and continues to this day. But in New York City, there you go.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna keep it a music centric p or a live guy. Chris Collingwood love Fountains of Wing. It was the final frontier of alternative before the Oscar the Grouch Rock took over the Lincoln Parks. The Limp Biscuits nineteen ninety five. Fountains Wayne founded in the big town. Collingwood from Pottstown, PA, went to Williams College. That is where he and co founder Adam Slessinger hooked up. They kind of went through a couple different incarnations before settling on Fountains of Wayne. The name came thanks to a lawn ornament store in Wayne, New Jersey that actually made an appearance in The Sopranos. It was a real I remember it well. In ninety five I was an intern at Ireland and their demo tape was a thing of legend. It was a huge bidding war. Atlantic got them self titled debut Randy Chin two Randy Chin and Fountains of Waying. You tell me which one had a bigger impact. That debut is awesome. I love radiation vibes. Sync to the bottom of this album track was my favorite, Leave the Biker, just incredible, bubblegum indie pop.
Speaker 3: It went gold.
Speaker 4: It didn't crush it at radio or MTV, but it set up what everyone thought was going to be their next record that was going to send them into the stratosphere. But being the musicians they are, they zagged Utopia Parkway. Great great record. It's very carzy, probably how I would describe it. Got a track from that that will play here in a second concept record. Atlantic hated it. They wanted them to sell millions and millions of records. It wasn't the follow up they wanted. They were so pissed they dropped them, and that had a serious effect on our Live Guy birthday to day Collingwood. He kind of fell into the bottle and sort of went on hiatus from Fountains of Wayne. Adam was the guy that was writing all the stuff for like that Thing You Do and Josie and the Pussycats and all that sort of stuff, but wanted to kind of pull Chris out of his funk, so he said, hey, we got this request for a Kink's tribute album, and again one of their favorite bands. So they did better things and it was a great cover and that kind of launched the second chapter of Fountains of Wayne. But nobody wanted them. Atlantic had dropped them. Other labels were like, yeah, maybe you can do some more demos. Let's see what you got. So they scraped together some cash, they found a studio in upstate New York, and on their they recorded Welcome Interstate Managers and cobbled together some equipment that was laying around the studio, and next thing you know, they released Stacy's Mom and it becomes one of the biggest records of the year, huge at Alternative, huge at Pop. It becomes the number one video with Rachel Hunter Start, still huge on MTV, and it was just basically like a Double middle Finger to Atlantic and all the other record labels that said, hey, do some demos and let's see what we can do. Because they put it out themselves, they paid for it themselves. Collinwood still wasn't right. He was on a bender in Tokyo and six mental Breakdown, canceled shows, all that sort of stuff, but got himself right. They put out their fourth and fifth records and seven in twenty eleven, broke up. In twenty thirteen solo for Chris. He called it Look Park and then sadly, I'm sure many people know the story. Adam Slessinger was one of the famous sort of deaths from COVID. John Prian remember, died during COVID, but Sleshender was just fifty two years old and ended up dying in April of twenty twenty. So the band got back together, did a benefit concert for his family and raising money for the New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund to honor him, and that kind of got him back together. So they still play, have not really put on any new music, but they play the festival circuit and I would assume that's always going to be pretty kind to them. With you know, a song as big as Stacy's Mom to kind of hang your hat on. He's married, lives in New England, and again not a lot of new music, but the old stuff's pretty darn great. If you're into that sort of vibe.
Speaker 3: Well you're into the sports talk vibe. I'll bet Fox Sports Radio coming up next. We appreciate everybody listening, hanging on all week to every word, every turn of the screw. We'll be back on Monday. Copas drowns early, so stay tuned. We'll post the start time on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Good Picture said Monday Show. We're coming back.
Speaker 3: On tomorrow the Lass.
Speaker 2: It's Friday,