Speaker 1: You know in the past we've talked about or I guess maybe it's well known that crows tend to be very smart birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've heard that, and that almost to.
Speaker 1: The point where they can recognize individual people and remember that.
Speaker 3: Are they big on revenge?
Speaker 2: I think we learned that also. That sounds right. Remember one cornered me in the garage one time? Be okay, truth?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, say it true story?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Wait? Cornered you in the garage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it remembered you, like, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was mad at me about something. Maybe I got too close to a ness or I don't know what it was, but I maybe.
Speaker 1: It was in a parking garage and was like, no, no, no, this is garage at our house.
Speaker 4: And it was on the outside, sitting menacingly on a trash can, just looking at me, and it was like two feet away from me. And I stood in the garage for like a half an hour till away.
Speaker 3: So is it less revenge and more like they hold grudges?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be.
Speaker 3: I think that's what we have been told.
Speaker 2: That could be.
Speaker 1: But did you know there's a whole community of people that what's the I don't I know the term that they use, but I don't know what what like the real.
Speaker 2: Term is.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, but people, but they they say, one of them, I've got a crowbro?
Speaker 2: What a crowbro?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Like they almost train them to be like they're pet yes.
Speaker 3: To what extent?
Speaker 1: To the extent where So I was reading I was reading this story about this woman right, and she was talking about how in the summer of twenty twenty four, I noticed a crow who seemed to be around when I was outside, Like they'd be outside, like just whether they're working in the yard or whatever it is that they're doing. And she was like, listen, the family has bird feeders, so i'd be out there filling those up, or you know, I'd be like working in the yard, or we'd just be outside, and I noticed that there was this crow that was hanging around. So one time I tossed a few little bits of apple toward the ground below where.
Speaker 2: The crow was perched.
Speaker 1: He fluttered down to investigate, and then like sometimes there would be two crows, and sometimes the second crow would go with the first crow.
Speaker 2: To go down there. And so this would go on somewhat regularly.
Speaker 1: So this woman or would see this crow out in the like perch stuff somewhere, so she would throw, you know, like some apples over there's like some peanuts or I don't know what the hell you feed a crow. But like, by the way, it's no different than Diane feeding the stupid bunnies in her backyard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean crowsily garbage.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, but she was throwing like food down by where the like the crow would perch. And again they said, every so often there'd be like a second crow or something that would also go check it out. This went on for months, not like it was a problem, but it would be like, oh, I see the crow. I don't know if you know it's the same crow. I would not know it's the same crow. You would just think it's another bird. So anyway, for months she's like throwing a peanut or whatever it is. Months passed, and then one morning I heard an odd clattering at the mailbox that's a fix to the front door of our house, and I peeked outside.
Speaker 2: The crow was.
Speaker 1: Sitting on our porch, railing with an envelope that he had plucked from the open mailbox.
Speaker 2: The crow was still.
Speaker 1: There when I reappeared on the porch a couple moments later with some raw cashews, which he immediately hopped forward to eat from the stone steps.
Speaker 2: And that began our relationship in earnest.
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 2: Say again?
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 2: Who is this?
Speaker 3: Yes? I was talking about the relationship with a crow Caitlyn Gibson, and it's a she's a writer for what.
Speaker 2: The Washington Post? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she writes for the Washington Post. Caitlyn Gibson is her name. I don't know anything about her, but this is the start of her relationship with the crow.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's got a crow, bro. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And he was holding the envelope, right, I think.
Speaker 2: The envelope was just happenstance. I don't think. I don't think the crow was like, well, there's mail in the mailbox, let me give it to Caitlin.
Speaker 1: I just think it was like he was getting at the mailbox and then she came out and threw down some cashews.
Speaker 3: Well I see her or piece now. And you skipped the part where she asked the crow, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well that is he was jealous. The crow didn't answer her.
Speaker 3: He was jealously ripping it apart, and he didn't fly away when I asked, what are you doing in a tone that was equally astonished and delighted, Let me get my sound effect ready.
Speaker 2: In the weeks that followed, the crow quickly.
Speaker 1: Learned to perch outside our dining room window and look in whenever he wanted a snack.
Speaker 2: She named the crow Kormac. I don't know what that means. I don't know there's a name.
Speaker 1: I am not alone. Many have sought this same connection within the growing world of bird enthusiasts fans of corvids, which are crows, ravens, and jays. There are their own passionate and growing group of people.
Speaker 2: They want a crow. Why are you skipping the best parts? Why?
Speaker 3: After she said? In the weeks that followed, the crow quickly learned to perch outside. She writes, I was to put it mildly thrilled.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if you want to be if you.
Speaker 1: If you want a crow, bro and it's hanging out, of course you're happy.
Speaker 3: It's like your computer didn't populate the sentences that had italics.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? I don't think she's crazy. Okay, she's a burder.
Speaker 3: Oh why do you want her to be? Our next?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 3: Morse, you want to track her down. She's more than a burder.
Speaker 2: The no, not at all.
Speaker 1: Yes, but there's a whole group of people that have have pet crows that aren't really their.
Speaker 3: Pets, and they are, to put it mildly crazy.
Speaker 1: Drilled crows and ravens frequently lurk near humans, recognizing them as a husefule, a useful source of food to scavenge. These birds have coevolved with us for a couple million years.
Speaker 2: Others approached the birds differently.
Speaker 1: In the early nineteen hundreds, it was common for people who lived in proximity of clothes to take nestling birds and raise them as.
Speaker 3: Pets that I don't recommend, but not just the pet on the perch outside the window, like an actual domesticated troll.
Speaker 2: She talks about what is the lady's name, Caitlin.
Speaker 1: Caitlin talks about there was a guy who used to like when he would go out in the morning, he would start his car and drive off, and as he would drive off, he would throw peanuts out the window for the crows. It got to the point where he would go outside and start the car. They said for crow it was like the ice cream truck coming down the street like they knew every day. Now, Caitlin, or as Tyler would like me to call her, crazy Caitlin, she is. She doesn't know how old the crow is, so she doesn't know how much longer she has with it.
Speaker 3: Did you read about her conversation with Kevin McGowan, Who's.
Speaker 1: That another crowbro and ace?
Speaker 3: Or to see a guy who studies Yes, a scientist at the Cornell Lab of Forornithology, go ahead, who has spent over thirty five years studying crows. I explained the evolution of my routine. I admitted that I was often so elated to see the bird appear in the window that I would rush to meet him in the backyard right away. Kevin chuckled, he has you well trained, and the you is italicized. It's weird, you don't have any of the best parts.
Speaker 1: No, because he's a woman who is trying to befriend the crow.
Speaker 3: I think we actually should. Because she's a colleague of Dan's. Get Dan on the phone.
Speaker 2: The girl crazy.
Speaker 3: I know what they talk about at lunch.
Speaker 2: No, here you go, who fed you say again? Of the crow? They got me trained? Hi Ellie in the morning, yeah, Hi, who's this.
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 5: This is Aaron.
Speaker 2: By the way, the headline of Caitlin Crazy.
Speaker 1: Caitlyn's Thing is I befriended my neighborhood crow.
Speaker 2: You can too, So it's all about how you can do this, and he and she loves it. She thinks it's great.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can do this.
Speaker 2: I thought I was prohibited.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, yes, ma'am, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I lost you for a second on Randolph Road. So my cousin is exactly this way. She lived in North Bethesda in like those high rise apartments, and she has crows. She had crows that would come to her and give her pebbles and give her like trinkets back. So not if only would she like give them peanuts or something and just kind of hang out with them, but they would bring back things for her like that. So that is like definitely a thing. She has since moved to fairbax in a different apartment and has brand new crows that she developed this relationship with like that, like they know when she comes home and they bring her things and then she gives them a peanut. By the way, it's definitely a thing, it.
Speaker 1: Says Tyler will find it because it's probably italicized. But there's somewhere in the article where where crazy Caitlin says that the oh maybe it was somebody who was telling her that, like the envelope, it wasn't like getting the mail, but was very similar where it's a barter system where it's like I bring you something, you bring me something, and they just go on to talk about how smart the crows are, and so they're bringing Caitlin something and she's giving them something in return.
Speaker 7: I believe they see.
Speaker 6: It as they that's that's how smart they are, Like genuinely like those those crazy birds from really smart because they know where they're getting their food from and they know it's a steady source of food, so they will barter rather than just scavenging and being crazy and running around.
Speaker 1: Right, No, crazy Caitlin's crazy. The no, No, it's the old eye. Scratch your back, you scratch minds.
Speaker 4: They essentially possess the intelligence of a seven year old.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's smarter. Yeah, but like we look at a sep like, I know, I'm a thousand times smarter than a seven.
Speaker 4: Years but they highlight they like they it's almost like they make tools. They can bend twigs to pull food out if they can't get to it with their their beak. They they understand water displacement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of that is fine and dandy. Oh yeah, I'm focusing more on Caitlin's relationship with Cormac. And by the way, in the part of the article oh where this barter or trading is discussed, there is an emphasis placed on a word and it's hers, not mine. Not everyone is dazzled by these creative and charismatic birds. After a Seattle eight year old went viral for her vast collection of trinkets and offerings left by crows who visited her yard, her family had to settle out of court after being sued by the neighbors for damage caused by the birds. I'd be so pissed at my kid.
Speaker 2: Line five. Hi Elliet in the morning. Hi the same, Yeah, Hi, who's this?
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 8: My name is Cindy and I live in Crosston and I have about a twelve burder approach. There's like twelve and one murder that come to my patio and I feed them and they're wonderful.
Speaker 2: And we think Caitlin's crazy. This is crazy.
Speaker 1: Cindy of crafted Wait, so you feed twelve crows, and do they come every day and like hang out and watch you?
Speaker 8: They will if I feed them every day, But you don't want to do that because you don't want them getting in the habit of not hunting and gathering for themselves. But I do switch out their food, and some days I get sticks and twigs, other days, most days I get bones. They give me old chicken bones to say thank you.
Speaker 3: That's mentioned Caitlin who says, wait, hold on, go ahead, that you have to wait, hold on, ma'am, hold on, ma'am, hold on, you have to and that got you loves a slanted word. You have to accept them on their terms. Sometimes their gifts might be squirrel bones.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry, Diane, there's seven. It's not like they went shopping. Thanks crow anyway.
Speaker 2: So Cindy, you how long have you been doing this?
Speaker 8: Six years when I moved into my new house six years. Yes, yes, And so I switch out their food. They don't like so micros don't like blueberries. They would throw them out and let the squirrels have them. But they like nut and they like chicken hearts.
Speaker 1: And wait a minute, so you're not just giving them stuff you're shopping for them.
Speaker 2: Yes, play that cuckoo thing.
Speaker 1: Chicken hearts the Yeah, you can get chicken hearts of course.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: They're dog trees. They're freeze dried, and they just dip them in.
Speaker 5: Water and eat them.
Speaker 2: They dip them in water. You're not doing that. That's like chewing their food and giving it to you. Guys, do some goddamn work. You're bringing me a squirrel bone. Thanks, No, I get it, I get it all right, very good, thank you. She's got a murder of twelve.
Speaker 3: We tend to focus on their traits we find appealing, like how they bring you gift, and ignore the ones we don't find some appealing, like how they sometimes mate with the dead. I know we knew about their grudge holding and their recognition of faces. Have we ever had anyone tell us that they will hump a corpse?
Speaker 1: Wait? Can I can ask a question like a like a fellow crow corpse?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Aren't they? Aren't? They very monogamous crows?
Speaker 1: Very monogamousship No no, no, no, like like they pair like like like eagles, but they pair together.
Speaker 3: I don't know the answers to that, but I do know now.
Speaker 1: So if they seem like a dead squirrel on the ground, like it's another dead crow.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe they just think she's sleeping. Hey, that one's funny.
Speaker 3: This from corvid Research dot blog. They put they put the crow in necro feel.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good sticker.
Speaker 1: That's a Hey, remind me when we run out of Elliott the Morning stickers.
Speaker 2: That's next. Oh wait link two. Hi Elliott the Morning.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi, who's this?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Hi, I'd rather not use my name if that's okay. But I hate to work with Caitlyn.
Speaker 2: Hey is she crazy?
Speaker 5: She's actually not crazy. She's really lovely.
Speaker 1: Hey where did you did you? Did you work at the Washington Post?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 2: Were you one of the were you one of the ones that got let go?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry about that. Yeah that sucks. It's like, yeah, no, you're doing better. You're doing better. It's like working at iHeart.
Speaker 1: The But you knew, you knew Caitlin. But Caitlin's not like the crazy bird lady.
Speaker 3: No her.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think, like a lot of us during COVID, we've developed some sort of like bird interest.
Speaker 1: And okay, you know she's doing this, she's doing this now, and we're out of COVID.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I think it started like the interest in general around like you know, coming back to the office and talking about water cooler. There's a lot of people that were talking about birds and the birds they saw and were the sea birds, and photographers were trying to, you know, get more bird pictures.
Speaker 2: Now they do.
Speaker 1: Caitlin points it out in her story, but of course she's going to that the bird enthusiast population has grown tremendously and she's not wrong. Like we hear those stories about a bird of sap and everybody drive, well, remember there was that kid who saw the bird in somewhere around here, like some gray something or other, and people started, no put intended, flocking by his neighborhood to go see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think we also have bald eagles here, and you know, there was a lot of chatter not only with the eagle cams, the men. Every time sure like a reporter would see the bald eagles in like the morning meeting, was like, hey, did you see the bald eagles are back end? Where are they?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that was in the morning meeting. When that would happen, would Caitlin just kind of go.
Speaker 5: Just like you know, there's totter before like the newest meeting and you know, talking about the fun things that exist while your colleague good.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that she's not full crazy.
Speaker 5: No, I think we're all a little crazy, right am, All right, very.
Speaker 2: Good, very good, Thank you, ma'am. Thank you. I'm glad you're doing better.
Speaker 3: The oldest known fish crow or is that what Cormack is? A fish crow?
Speaker 2: Fish crow? It's a type of crow.
Speaker 1: I don't know all the different types of crows, black crows, fish crows.
Speaker 3: It says, row crow. His nasal staccato vocalization set him apart from his American comrades. Anyway, That's not the point that I was going to make. I just I didn't know what a fish crow was. No, but it's there's different kinds of trout. But she says, thank you all, thank goodness that collar hung up. Treat it like a news rem meeting. The oldest known fish crow was fourteen years old, but the average lifespan is closer to seven years.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what I'm saying. Caitlin doesn't know how long she's going to have Cormac.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it means to him when we are together in the backyard under the mulberry tree, as he hops and squawks and catches the cashews I toss him.
Speaker 2: Hey, I know washing to Post lady back, Caitlyn's crazy. I know what it means to me, though, Oh poor Caitlyn.
Speaker 3: It is rare to feel so anchored in the present moment and within the arc of an entwined evolutionary history. Our modern lives, often obscure, are enduring, tether to the natural world.
Speaker 1: She's well written, but more than that, well Hurst whatever, Okay, I write like the last Washington Post employee.
Speaker 3: But more than two million years later, crows are still here, watching us and reminding us. Perhaps that even more than the tattered piece of cardboard that my daughter mildly tucked in or keepsake box just hit the cuckoo. Sounds a true gift.
Speaker 2: Where am I going? Kristen Line four? Hi Ellie at the morning? Hey, good morning, Yes sir, what can I do for you?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 7: I just thought I would mention Jake from the Shawshank Redemption.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, stand pet crow?
Speaker 5: Remember so?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was the pet crow raised by.
Speaker 2: Broke right now, who's crazy? Exactly? Thank you, sir. Thank you.
Speaker 3: So you had asked us to reach out to Dan Morris a week or so ago. Do you want to talk to Caitlin?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: More importantly, I don't know if Caitlin wants to talk to us. Hi, Elliot in the morning.
Speaker 5: Hi, this is me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi, what can I do for you?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 3: Buddy? Hey?
Speaker 7: So I just figured i'd call in. I got a crow story for you. I hired crows as bodyguard for my chickens.
Speaker 2: Essentially, I'm sorry you hired that.
Speaker 7: You're I'm well, well, my wife is. I'm just in charge of placing the trinkets out there for them. They do like barter systems, so you place like they like shiny objects, right, And we had a hawk problem. They kept killing our chickens. So we essentially got them to the point where they just hang around and they attacked the hawks.
Speaker 1: So by placing the stuff, the shiny stuff, the crows hang out, and then the crows they'll bring.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they bring us other shiny stuff back. And like I just I built like a little platform next to my fence and just put a bunch of like washers and nuts and bolts and stuff on it. They take them and then they bring other random stuff back. But it keeps them around long enough where they attack the hawks now, so I don't have a hawk problem anywhore.
Speaker 2: Very smart?
Speaker 1: You think they're so smart? I have an idea, why don't you have sex with something? Why that they get? That's where they're dumb. They don't know it's a corpse. But other than that, they're very smart, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: So how long you said months for Caitlin? How long did he say the caller that it took.
Speaker 2: Oh, he didn't.
Speaker 1: He just said that they were putting them out there. But that seemed pretty quick to Well, maybe Caitlin was playing a little hard to.
Speaker 3: Get because this dem reads I feed my crows every day. I wake up and make eggs. What or they get rotisserie chicken? They do love walnuts, but my crows are big babies and still scared. I've been doing this for over a year. I can't wait for the day that we actually become friends.
Speaker 4: Sound a little needy.
Speaker 1: Hashtag forever alone now.
Speaker 3: Actually, she writes hashtag breakfast bitch.
Speaker 2: So wait for a year.
Speaker 1: Over over a years, she's been making crows eggs for breakfast and rotisserie chicken, and she can't.
Speaker 3: She can't strike up that relationship. She thinks that it's because sometimes try different food. Sometimes she'll put out something new and they're scared of it, which takes them a few days to come back to check out the right. So she's maybe sort of shut herself in the foot a few times by.
Speaker 2: The way, you know what she you know who? She can be help by Caitlin.
Speaker 1: If I got Caitlin on, we could we could ask the ask the crow bro.
Speaker 10: She could host the whole segment. She's like a crow dating curs. It's like when they have the gardener on the news station. Yeah, exactly, Yeah, scrambled eggs every morning. I thought it was kind of cuckoo that Kristen makes eggs for her dog every morning.
Speaker 2: This is worse, you think for the crows. That's worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: At least Opher appreciates it. The over Iston's friend, right.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, over his Kristen's crow.
Speaker 2: But that's how.
Speaker 1: Caitlin's treating it like it's her, like it's her pet. No, it's not, it's her friend.
Speaker 3: That's a fish crow does it? Is it different if it's just an American crow?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but they they like they say the same thing about ravens and jays.
Speaker 3: But I'm wondering what this listener who DMed about the eggs and the chisserie chicken.
Speaker 2: I have an idea.
Speaker 1: Stop it's been a year, like honestly, it's pathetic, like he doesn't like you.
Speaker 2: Move on. It's just not that into years.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, You're never going to see Spider Man together.
Speaker 2: Hi, Elliot in the morning, real quick? Who's this?
Speaker 9: Good morning?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 9: Hi, hies this Christine?
Speaker 2: Yes? What can I do for you? Christine?
Speaker 9: So I have a crow that sits out in my tree at six am every morning and call. It's kind of annoying, but they they have a lookout.
Speaker 5: I watched them one day.
Speaker 9: They have while bird comes and he sits here and he squawks, flock squaks, and then another one comes while the other one comes down and they do it like in a triangle.
Speaker 5: So they live in.
Speaker 6: And my crows leave me beer.
Speaker 2: Cats, right, and what do you leave the crows?
Speaker 9: I see, Well, it's feeding my squirrels peanuts. And I realized and then I saw something one day, like huge on my back deck. I was like, whoa, So it was cruised and then I've been doing it for a while when I'm outside and I got like the garden, right, I look up in the sky and they're flying over top of me like doing figure eats and stuff.
Speaker 2: So you are you? So you're feeding? So you're feeding the squirrels.
Speaker 1: You've got bird friends, like you got the whole deal going on.
Speaker 9: Well, well they're not my friends, but I feed the squirrels and the crows.
Speaker 1: I guess now, yeah, they're your friends. You're like crazy Katelyn, you know, crazy Caitlin.
Speaker 6: But they don't.
Speaker 9: They don't forget anything, Like they don't forget if someone was mean to them. They they definitely don't forget.
Speaker 1: Like if do you say thank you, ma'am, thank you forever Loan? Do you do you think if Caitlyn stopped her friends, like if she got mad and was like, I'm not going to be friends with Carmack anymore?
Speaker 2: Would that would that bird just peck at her house?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Like I will not be ignored, Dan.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there are or at some point do they go like you know what.
Speaker 3: You know we're named for our aquatic diet. I'll go find some trip or garbage, which do you occasionally see us eating too