Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. It's a beautiful saturday here in Los Angeles, and we join right now by the man that is the architect of the unprecetented success the Dodgers have had, including back to back championships. A man that is not as emotional as people on Ventura Boulevard. That's the one and only Andrew Friedman. Thanks a lot for the.
Speaker 2: Time, Absolutely thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: It feels like this is just one of those moments in time during the season where you're dealing with some injuries, some guys are sick, but it feels like the cavalry is on its way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we go through this every year, especially in April. I think every single year I've been here, we've had have meetings about our relievers, with our catchers, just with our relievers about what their strengths are. It's like groundhog Day. And so there's periods where we're playing well and it feels like we're never going to lose again, and there's periods where we're not playing as well and you're waiting for something bad to happen. It is the cycle of a major League season. That being said, when you're in one of the downturns of it, it's frustrating. It's not fun to go through.
Speaker 1: I haven't talked to you since the news of Edwin Diaz going down with chips in his right elbow surgery. How does that affect the bullpen and how much do you need Rock Stewart and Bruce Stark Graderol to come back.
Speaker 2: Don't forget Evan Phillips.
Speaker 1: That's a while away, Andrew.
Speaker 2: That's sure, that's true. You know, with that one, obviously it's a big loss. But you know, it was something he had been feeling in his last couple of outings and velocity was down just where the chip was was pushing right on the tricep muscle and so something that just wasn't allowing him the same freedom to get to his velocity and just a lot of discomfort. So fortunately it didn't involve anything with the ligament. It wasn't near the ligament, and doctor Elatrosh felt really confident, let's go and get it out. It will alleviate those symptoms and he'll come back and be in a good spot. So it's good in terms of you know, the prognosis of him coming back and helping us in the second half of the season and hopefully through a long October, but frustrating for the now and us navigating the next you know, two two and a half months, and you know it'll be opportunity for some guys. And you know, we've seen over the years when that opportunity has been created, it's given guys some runway to go and create a real role form. We saw it with Robo last year. We've seen it with Evan Phillips in the past. We've seen it with a number of guys. So you know, we'll have this opportunity for some guys to emerge.
Speaker 1: Her starting rotation has been phenomenal, Emma Sheen coming off as best start of the season. Tyler Glass now eight innings, allowed just one hit in San Francisco. I wanted to ask you about Glass now because you've known him obviously for a long time. Why is he so different this year? What's different about him to allow him to go to this next level.
Speaker 2: There's just there's even more confidence, you know, I think just going through some of the injury stuff he had gone through earlier in his career and then with us in that first year, you know, I think it eats into your ability to be as confident and just getting him to believe just how good his stuff is. There aren't a lot of guys that can beat guys in zone. You almost need to get ahead and zone and then on to off and get guys to chase. He can dominate guys end zone. That's how good his stuff is. So last year, the walker right was a little elevated, and we're seeing that come down right now with the miss as high as it is. And he's a tough guy to square up. And so I think the success he had last October and really being a big part of us winning a championship last year, whereas in twenty four he was doing it as a cheerleader, you know, with the injury. So I think him being a big part of what we did last October provided some fuel going into this offseason, and now each start is just continuing to build.
Speaker 1: As far as that series in San Francisco, Utani may have pitched his best game in a long time as well. When you look at him the balance of him going full time pitcher, do you feel like a little bit's been taken away as a hitter or is that just the April that you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean last year, you know, Show got off to a little bit of a slow start offensively and then got going i think in late late April, and then took off from there. Look, it is hard. What he's doing is hard, and it is tiring, and we have to stay and lockstep with him to figure out how to balance that rest. And you know that being said, he's had prolonged stretches where he's doing both and excelling at both. We just have to stay really connected with him because what he's doing obviously is unprecedented and it takes a real toll. But to be able to compartmentalize, to be able to pitch the way he has this year has been incredible.
Speaker 1: How do you look at it? A lot of talk about him not being as good of a hitter to day that he pitches. How do you look at that conversation about looking at it, evaluating where he hits in the lineup, whether or not he does it when he pitches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it's all part of the rest and what makes the most sense. You know, it doesn't make sense for him to go wire to wire pitch your hit or playing every day, pitching every week, that's hard, and so we do need to mix some rest in there. Whether we do it on the day he starts and then therefore he can't hit late in the game, or if we do it around it the day before the day after, we would at least have the silver bullet off the bench and the ninth inning in a tight game to be able to pinch. You know, all those are questions and I think, you know, getting with him and from our standpoint, if there's a clear answer whatever it is, we're great with it. If there's not a clear answer, it's just going to require a lot of conversation and some trial and error to kind of feel it out.
Speaker 1: I mean, like you said, it's not normal. He's one of one and he's thirty one years old. Now how much do we all take that for granted what he's doing is normal when it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think most things that we encounter, we all have some kind of mental rolodex we can go back to and like, oh yeah, in my experience it's this. We show hey, there is none of that, and we have no experience dealing with this, and so it definitely makes it trickier. That being said, I think as long as we're just staying connected consistently, I think we will get at our way through kind of what makes the most sense.
Speaker 1: All right. So that brings me to the Otani rule. Great Council last week said he feels like the Otani rules an unfair rule as far as rosters and rosters when it relates to pictures. I went to ask him to clarify that yesterday and he doubled down in a very tense way. Where is this all coming from? Do you feel like this is just a carryover from all the talk during the offseason. Where do you think all this Otani rule talk is coming from now? I don't know.
Speaker 2: It felt very random and strange to me that he felt the need to bring it up. And when shohe was on the Angels and MLB was considering this, they reached out to a bunch of teams, us included, and I said, look, from a competitive standpoint, as the Dodgers, I don't love it, but wearing my industry hat, what's best for the Major League Baseball it is to do everything we can for Shoeo Otani to be in and stay in games, and obviously with the thirteen pitcher rules, so that's the part of him being able to stay in the game when he pitches and when he comes off the mound. You know, the old rule would have been then the hitter has to come out as well. But I was able to look at what is best for the industry and show Hey playing and playing more often and staying in games is what is best for this game and best for the fans and everything else. So that was when he was with the Angels. And as far as the thirteen pitcher rule, again, it is more that we have thirteen pitchers. I had to clarify this with Jim Bowden who said that we have nine relievers. We don't have nine relievers. We have eight relievers just like everyone else. We have five starters like everyone else. It's just when show Hey is able and the rest makes sense, Showy pitches. Also, it is not that we are carrying an extra reliever relative to others. So it's certainly an advantage, but it should be an advantage. What show Hay does and what he is capable of is so unique it should be rewarded, it should be celebrated, and everyone knew the show Hey rules and had an equal opportunity to sign him two years ago. So I'm not sure where the Cups were in that process or what council's thoughts were on it then, but that seemed like more of the relevant time to voice it than now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's something that I'm sure not a lot of us were ever aware of that. Major League Baseball checked in with you and other teams about implementing this rule, So if there were any objections, then was the time. Absolutely all right, thank you for setting the record straight. I love it, Thank you for the time. Great to see you. And look, I'm very steady. I'm right in the wave of one sixty two.
Speaker 2: I like it. You know, we've seen this year after year. It doesn't mean it's fun while going through it, but we've seen it, and we've seen this group battle through it, and it's just the inevitable cycle of a long one hundred and sixty two game season. And I have the same amount of faith in these guys and the way they prepare, the way they compete, that the subt will come out and we'll start playing much better baseball.
Speaker 1: It's been amazing how these guys still have their edge, and each individual has a chip to prove something this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's what I said after twenty four that one of the concerns about the difficulties around repeating is that complacency sets in. Where teams won, they're like, okay, they exhale, they don't have that same edge about them. And it was very apparent after the parade in twenty four just how focused everyone was on doing everything they could to run it back in twenty five, and we saw the same thing after twenty five. This is a group that's playing for you know, their legacy, for the legacy of this group, you know, to continue to you know, do everything we can for this to be the Golden era Dodgers Baseball and for them to have been a huge part of it. And so that motivation is so much further beyond the Okay, I want a championship. They're being pigs and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is Andrew Friedman. Thanks a lot for the time, and thanks again for being so candid with all your answers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely thanks for having me on