Speaker 1: You want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Twenty here, this is seven hundred WLIW. This is interesting. A record high forty five percent of adults in America identified as political independence last year, and that number looks like it's going to grow this year in twenty twenty six. But an equal share of adults now consider themselves a twenty seven percent Democrat, twenty seven percent Republican, a forty five percent independent. What the hell does that mean? Actually, and the independent percentage has increased in the past fifteen years or I don't around forty percent, but we haven't seen this level like in a long long time. What's driving this whole thing. Joining the show is polster and political advisor. That'd be the legendary Kevin Burton from Crosstown Consulting in northern Kentucky.
Speaker 3: keV I doing I'm doing pretty good, Scott, Thank you for that introduction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the legendary in your legendary at this point, this is I mean I look at this and go, okay, forty five percent independent. I consider myself that I tend to lean to the right, but at the same time libertarian. I'm kind of an amalgamation of different things. But I vote with my conscience, not because I want to be part of a movement, and I've yet to see a movement that I would be part of, because I think there's a certain amount of corruption and also a glasshouse's nature, and also having to go against some ideals in order to compromise. And maybe I'm a little too stubborn to do that. But it seems like I'm in the majority here at this point. And what does this mean for the Democrats and Republicans? Of twenty seven percent are Democrats, twenty seven percent of Republicans. They take up all the oxygen in a room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the reason why independence have grown is because of the primary creth. So in Kentucky you have a closed primary, so only DS can vote for d's, only rs can vote for rs. Eyes can't do anything. In Ohio you can do say, you know, you can do different things. If you're an eye. You can vote the Democratic primary, you can vote to the Republican. So each state is different, but the primaries always result in the most extremes on both sides, and that's why it's driven more independent because to win a primary, you're usually looking at ten, twelve, fifteen percent turnout In off year elections, which frankly, the only people who usually vote on those are people who are really riled up. So you're going to have the extremes on both sides. So it has pushed more people to the middle. Now, when you do campaigns, though, there's usually about eight to ten percent that are completely non leaning, and those are the core flippers for independence. How you win elections?
Speaker 2: Okay, obviously they're important in the election themselves. Some of the old adage about you always campaign to the extremes and you governed from the middle, Well that that sentiment's been gone for a while now, that's not that has been true in a while. No, oh, not at all. I mean, which turns more people in independence. But again, if that's the way the system is designed, it feels like a fruitless effort, is it. Well it is.
Speaker 3: And this is where it's kind of ironic that the only time both Democrats and Republicans work together is to squash any third party.
Speaker 4: Right, we talk.
Speaker 2: About we talk about redistricting in Ohio and Democrats all worked up. Well, what about states or Democrats? Well that's different.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, for every California there's an Alabama and vice versa.
Speaker 2: So you know.
Speaker 3: The bulk of people, and you know you hear this with in your communities.
Speaker 2: You know you're at a bar, at.
Speaker 3: A church, ninety percent of people just common sense things. And that's what you're seeing with forty five percent of people identifying as independents and the twenty seven percent you know to an R or D, you're really seeing just kind of people where I think are.
Speaker 2: Just tired of just being tired of politics. Yeah, yeah, exhausting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can we just get back to being like, hey, I might not agree with you, but it's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want to make politics boring again?
Speaker 3: That that should be the next slogan for anyone, right right, Make politics boring?
Speaker 2: Yeah, make politics bor You don't talk about religion and politics, Well now we talk about both. And it's exhausting, quite honestly, when you start looking at the numbers. Though inside the over forty five almost half the country, for God's sakes, call themselves independents, and let look where we are when it comes to the poop slinging on both sides. Gen z Ors, though in particular, declare their independencity much higher rate fifty six percent than millennials did. When they were that age of forty seven percent. What does that mean in the long term.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so millennials to gen Z. You also got to remember for millennials, for most of them, they were in college or high school when Obama came came in.
Speaker 2: So like I would take that with a little grain of salt.
Speaker 3: A lot of gen Zers, you know, they still lean or considered themselves a Democrat when push comes the shelves.
Speaker 2: So out of the poll they did forty.
Speaker 3: Eight percent of them considered themselves a Democrat for considered them Republicans. And I think it's just simply like you see the Bernie Sanders, the AOC, the Mindani wing where frankly they didn't get a fair share from the Democratic Party. And I think that's why more and more people are just saying, you know what, I'm just going to be an independent and on the Republican side, you know, they're that was Trump.
Speaker 2: I mean, Trump didn't.
Speaker 3: Feel like he was getting a fair shaken twenty sixteen, which was a lifetime ago, but you know, he was an outsider running.
Speaker 2: Are independence basically socialists and misplaced populous?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean you know, because like when you're running an election. Basically, both ours and D's they have these softwares and they're billion dollars softwares, and they basically put algorithms and it's way above my pay grade. But there's like one hundred and thirty sub sections and everything, and I'll give you a score. So let's say is zero is a conservative, one hundred is a Democrat. So it will say if I typed in Scott Swann, let's say your score was twenty seven. That would mean that you have a high probability of voting Republicans. So when you're running these elections, especially with independence, you look at the around ten percent of the independents who really swing the election.
Speaker 2: Those are the people who you hear, you.
Speaker 3: Know, they voted Trump, Biden, Trump, Obama. And that's and that's where elections are really one. They're one on the margins. And that's the margin, the eight to ten percent non leaning independence.
Speaker 2: You've got your twenty seven percent of hardcore conservatives, twenty five percent twenty seven percent hardcore progressives. In order to tiff that split, you need to draw that ten percent, got it, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because out of out of the other thirty five, basically you can split that seventeen percent both ways, and they're going to lean to the last of lean to the right. So it's all about about that ten percent number who really decides federal elections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess that ten percent is on the seesaw going okay, well who do I who? As opposed to who do I really like?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 2: Who do who do I hate? Least it's the way we look at that. And I guess that ten percent. Is that why we will not see or do you think we'll never see another two term present again? For that reason? And I guess I mean, I mean Konseck, you know, Trump's second term technically, but you know Biden was in the middle of that, so we just swung back and forth. Is that why? I mean?
Speaker 3: But also I would say both Trump and Biden are kind of outliers. I mean, Biden was going to be eighty three years old and Trump's gonna be, you know, the same, And it was COVID, So I would say, let's see one more president before we make that claim, because both of them are kind of different from the majority. But yeah, it's very very hard if you look at presidential approvals. Really since the invention of cable news but really social media, it's almost impossible to stay above fifty percent approval.
Speaker 2: So it's going to make it harder and.
Speaker 3: Harder to govern, and just harder and harder to block out the noise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, gotcha. So Trump's first term, we got the anti trumpers go, hey, we need something. We're tired of this guy. We brought Biden. Four years later, we got tired of Biden. We brought Trump back. And I'm guessing, you know, with the mid and then three years from now, are we going to rebel against the Republicans and vote a Democrat.
Speaker 3: In Well, but that's also the great thing of those countries. There's checks and balances. Yeah, I mean it is. You know, you might not like it, but that's that's how we've always been and hopefully that's how we always will be. You know, when one tide gets too strong, the people speak up.
Speaker 2: Right and vice versa.
Speaker 3: So if you ask me today, yes, the midterms would probably look really good for the Democrat as of today, and.
Speaker 2: Then we'll see what happened. I mean, again, this has been one year. I can't have three more years, and it just seems like it's getting more and more viral. You know, since we're going at each other even harder, and every day feels like it's a year. As far as news goes, there's definitely been a change the last number of years relative to that. And Trump, of course, is a whirlwind of activities, always doing something. Certainly every day there's something new, for sure, and either you're excited by that or turned off by it, but everyone definitely has an opinion on it. I look at the general racial breakdowns. Gen Z fifty six percent identifies independence, Millennials a majority, gen X my generation forty plus percent identifies independence. When you get downe to the baby boomer silent generation that's right around thirty three percent. How much does that change? It just seems like the older you get, the more accepting you become of a party. And maybe you know what this whole identity politic thing where people will not question the person they voted for, even if it's a contradiction, they won't point that out. In many ways, that seems to be case you just as the older you get, the more sent in the ways you are and you want to be part of that community. And does that change with future generations where their identity.
Speaker 3: Isn't politics well, but you also got to remember, if you're a baby boomer or definitely a silent generation, you really grew up in a whole different world. You didn't have twenty four to seven news for the longest time, the Internet you.
Speaker 2: Didn't really have, and definitely non social media.
Speaker 3: So I think, you know, social media in the twenty four hour news has just changed everything. It's made politics a constant, you know, I think going forward.
Speaker 2: I mean, so when you're running an election, generally.
Speaker 3: Speaking, I always tell people to kind of block out people sixty and above if they're an independent or a Democrat or a Republican, because their minds are already made up.
Speaker 2: If you've voted eight straight.
Speaker 3: Elections for one party, it's gonna be really, really hard to try to convince you to switch because you're kind of said in your ways. Yeah, I mean, you know, we can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Speaker 2: Sorry, old people. Well, you look at brand loyalty. I mean, you know that that has died. That died some time ago too. With younger generations, it used to be like, I'm a tied man, I'm a Republican man, I'm a you know whatever. It might be younger people don't have those loyalties unless it's said that's about it. That's true, that's true. Well, you know that's more of a cost issue than anything, because you know, if you decide I'm going Android, your tablet, your laptop, your desktop, your handheld, your mobile, all that stuff is now you got to swap it all up. He's Kevin Burton Polster of Northern Kentucky here, and we're talking about a new study that came out from Gallup. They do this every year. A record high forty five percent of US adults identify as political independence. In the past year, twenty seven percent each NFL themselves as Democrats or Republicans, and that that middle part, that independent part, becomes critical in elections, he said, about ten percent, ten percent will decide the election either way, which is why we go back and forth the days of FDR where we have multiple terms feel like that is it's definitely in the past unless something else changes too. Taking into account America's party identification of that match out with the twenty seven percent forty seven percent identified as Democrats or said they're a independent, it's forty two percent with the Republicans. That's a three years I think that broke a three stretch in which Republicans held a an edge in party affiliation. Is that something that also changes, or is the Republican party in decline and once the Democrats take power at some point that just swings the other way.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's I mean, the Republicans are in charge now, and that's why, you know, I mean, people always it's the backup quarterback syndrome. You know, if things aren't going well, you're always yearning for the backup quarterback. And then once the backup quarterback comes in, you're like, well, there's a reason why I didn't want him in the first place. So I mean, that's just a give and take of you know, leading. It's so impossible now to actually get above fifty in party.
Speaker 2: Registration or approval.
Speaker 3: You know, you go back to George W. Bush right after nine to eleven, he had an eighty seven percent approval rating.
Speaker 2: That's on I can't even press about that, you know, yeah, yeah, and that was probably at the time, and oh my god, you know, because Lincoln had a probably a bad example of Washington, for example, had a ninety nine percent. Yeah, and no, that makes sense too, because as divided as we are the conservative ideology advantage is shrunk to just seven points. That's the smallest ever. And again, I think that's just indicase what you're talking about here. And I don't know if that I think it could be though, that Trump is redefining what conservative means. I'm not even sure what conservative means anymore. O.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know it doesn't mean the small governor no small government, because exactly so. But you know, Democrats have really had to come to Jesus meeting.
Speaker 2: Kind of this last year.
Speaker 3: You know, it was a really bad messaging point for you saying, you know, Trump is a threat of democracy when you didn't even have a primary. And I think that's the number one reason why Trump won because as he took.
Speaker 2: Away, they're not the number one thing to use against.
Speaker 3: Him when you didn't allow an open primary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where does social media go from here?
Speaker 5: In?
Speaker 2: The Digital Agency mentioned information fragmentation, declining trust and institutions like journalism did that'll also fuel the independent identification?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's the I think irony is that as we've gotten more educated, we're actually headed more towards like another dark age. You know. I also do think there's a little bit of kind of a pushback, especially with millennials and gen Z. I don't really see a lot of millennials on Facebook anymore, right, I feel like that time kind of passed for them, you know, in a lot of ways. I wonder in you know, fifteen twenty years, when we look at the effects of social media, how people looked at the cigarette companies in the nineties or the early two thousand, the afact gone.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just so the the polars and camps even more, you know, it's declining to some degree, you know, asn't aside here. I have a family members they moved recently and not one of their neighbors, and the first question out their mouse was are you Republican? Because everybody in the streets Republican. And he used to be like, oh, we're Catholic? Are you Catholic? You know where need to go to high school? Things like that, and now it's it's probably been that way for a while. But I think that's kind of interesting, Like that's that's the whole identity, right is I'm a Republican or I'm I'm a progressive, whatever it might be. More Republicans and progressives here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: But you get the idea well, and you even see that now people will be like, well, I don't want to watch this actor or listen to this thing. It's like, as long as they're going to commit a crime like r Kelly or P Diddy, like I think, I think you're all right. You can disagree with them, but if they still make good art, like just go with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well like back when Senators on carry Right and Teresa Hines Kerry and people were boycotting Heinz ketchup on Mike. Look, yeah, I don't gore the politics, but the only ketchup in the world is Heines Ketchup. I'm sorry. There's a lot I would put up before I would boycott Heinz Ketchup. He is a Kevin Burton Polster advisor with Crosstown Consulting in Northern Kentucky. All the best, thanks to the Inside, Appreciate you, Thank you, Scott. Enjoy the warm before the cold hits us again on Wendy but warms go feel good this weekend. Get out and enjoy it. We have lots to do on the Scots Loan Show. News Happens first though. That's about five minutes from right now, including the forecasting, traffic and what you need to know in the world. And then it's Will Gance. So if you're gonna stay in maybe at night, I've got some streaming. I think he's got a movie option for you too as well. And always kicking around on Friday, Martin Will Gants, our ABC entertainment guy, got a lot of hoop this weekend. And maybe if you want to break from now or you're not into that, we got alternative. Sorry. Will's next to discuss seven hundred w Goda.
Speaker 5: Now a man who has entertainment reporting, of course through his veins, which makes him a medical opity.
Speaker 1: He is ABC Will Gans from New York.
Speaker 2: Goodmorning, Will Haw's life. Life is good. How are you I'm fine, I'm fine. Are you ready for the Oscars? Do you get to go to the oscars? Do they send you there? How's that work for Will Gance?
Speaker 5: You would think that they would, but nope, I will be watching at home on the couch. I'm totally totally fine with it, not bitter at all.
Speaker 2: Sure you can tell through the phone. Yeah, did they even like do they give you like a coupon so you can go get big shrimp somewhere in New York and then not a coupon nothing. Nothing sounds a bitches anyway, I want to get into the oscars in just a second here. First, though, Harry styles he's doing double duty. He's hosting, he's performing SNL. It happens not too frequently, but I guess we get to say he's acting chops. I think that's right.
Speaker 5: You know, he just sort of feels ubiquitous at this point. Andy Snel is capitalizing on the moment.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, he just he is a star, and I think this is going to be a real chance for him to flex, you know, a side of him that we don't get to see very often. He is super charismatic when he's singing on stage and stuff like that. I mean, he sold out thirty five performances at Madison Square Garden in.
Speaker 2: A row this year.
Speaker 5: So it'll be interesting to see if that charisma or how that charisma translates, you know, on the SNL stage last week was Ryan Gosling and he knocked it out of the park. So it'll be interesting to see how Harry stacks up, you know, compared to some of the other great hosts of Late.
Speaker 2: Oh it's interesting you don't expect it and watch him just kill it. And there have been people in the past, like I'm trying to I remember Brian Williams before he was before his scandal, he hosted S and Lly kill.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, and that's that's some of the more exciting stuff, right, Like when you get someone like Melissa McCarthy hosting, you know, you know it's gonna be yeah, exactly, and then when someone like Harry Styles comes along, it's like, oh wow, okay, you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: I get why people are upset. I thought Ariana Grande was wonderful too, same thing.
Speaker 5: She was incredible, excellent, point she was, she was amazing. Yeah, and really just like threw herself in. So it'll be interesting to see if Harry can can do.
Speaker 1: The same thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, before we get to Oscar related stuff, I know that you wanted to mention Young Sherlock, which is Amazon Prime Video. We have another of the do you take something You're just like, we're going to make this young you know, Young Sheldon, Young Young Frankenstein, Young Sherlock. I see the idea trend here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it is you know, nothing sells better than existing ip something that has a built in fan base or whatever. So you're right, instead of doing the sequel treatment or the threequel or whatever, let's go in the other direction and give a nice prequel story.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what this is.
Speaker 2: It's it is Guy Richie directed, so it's it's action packed.
Speaker 1: There are those like weird.
Speaker 5: Things where Sherlock sort of goes into his mind and is like figuring out, you know, Okay, I just witnessed this, this, and this, how can I connect the dots here? And he is at Oxford University. Moriarty is there with him, so that is of course who will end up becoming his arch nemesis.
Speaker 1: In you know, later in life.
Speaker 5: But they are buddies in this and they're teaming up together to solve a murder mystery on campus. And it's a lot of fun. All eight episodes are out. They came out last week on Prime Video. So if you're into the Sherlock Holmes saying, if you're into murder mysteries and action sequences, it's it's.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you could binge the whole thing this weekend if you wanted to gotcha.
Speaker 2: So it's he's young, but he's in college.
Speaker 1: Correct, he's not a child?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So the big mysteries will be like, who stole somebody's bong? Somebody left their door open, that's right, their laptops stolen? Yeah, right, exactly. I think I think my roommates a serial killer. And then you do, okay, good, good. That's a good format right there. All right, So Oscars, I'm gonna just get to the I think the ones most people care about. Of course, we'll be Best Picture, and I know the nominees include Sinners, centeml Value, one battle after another, Marty Supreme, Hamnet, Frankenstein f won the movie, and a couple more in there. So who's gonna win?
Speaker 5: I think it'll be one battle after another. If I was a betting man, I think that that's the movie to beat. If any movie can beat it, it would be Sinners. So Sinners is the most nominated movie in OSCARS history. It got sixteen nominations this year.
Speaker 1: But I think right now it's sort of a time.
Speaker 5: Lea versus time less you know, movie battle here, So the time lya or movie is one battle after another. This is the leo Dicapriole one where it's you know, it's sort of a group of like rebels who are fighting against an oppressive or fascist sort of governmental structure, and you know they're doing everything they can. And then Sinners is the one that is setting the Jim Crow so south and it's the vampire movie and Michael B. Jordan is playing Twins, So they're both great movies. I do think it'll be one battle after another that we hear for Best Picture, probably Best Director as well, but Sinners could pull off a few upsets in some other categories, namely Best Actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will really want to see Sinners, but my wife won't let me because she hates the whole horror anything vampire genre, not a lot. We can't watch it. So and she has a job. She's never out of town, so it's like, oh, she's gonna go to a town I didn't know. I can now I can't. So I'm sure it's a great movie. I would like to see Michael B. Jordan play Twins, and I like the whole vibe. I like the era, I like all that stuff. But I'm married, you understand, will and we're not allowed to do things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, at some point, maybe if you're on a flight or if someone gets the flu or something, it's it's definitely worth watching.
Speaker 2: It's bad enough when I get are you watching war again? Are you watching War? Yeah? I amshan, I'm watching War, And then she gets that. So if I'm are you watching She's never said I be watching a horror movie. I'd probably be thrown out of the house. So, you know, I'm only allowed to do certain things. I go where I'm kicked one battle after another. That was fantastic. And speaking of which, I know that Leo DiCaprio obviously is nominated for Best Actor in there, but he's up against again Michael B. Jordan. From what I understand, at least from the clips I've seen on YouTube, Michael B. Jordan puts on a hell of her performance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, you consider that for so much of it, you know, he was acting with no scene partner because he would have to film both sides of his you know, dialogue. If he's playing twins, you know, he would be acting with nothing in return and then doing the other end of the scene, you know, as the other twin. And so that's a challenge in and of itself, and he definitely did a great job.
Speaker 1: The other Best.
Speaker 5: Actor contender would be Timothy Shalomey for Marty Supreme. So you know, it's an interesting race here because at the beginning of Awards season, when we're doing the Critics Circle and the Golden Globes and stuff, Timothy was winning and winning and winning. And then just in the last couple of weeks, Michael B. Jordan won the SAG Award and then Timothy had this weird little interview with Matthew McConaughey where he said something like to the effect of, you know, I'm glad I make movies instead of you know, doing ballet or opera, which.
Speaker 1: No one really cares about anymore.
Speaker 5: And as you can imagine, in you know these artsy communities, that didn't go over very well. So you know, his campaign sort of in the like just you know, in the final stretch here just sort of hit a big hiccup.
Speaker 2: I didn't go after the voting closed, though, right, so I want to affect them. I mean it, I think it started.
Speaker 5: There were a few days last when he said it, but it really blew up after voting clothes. But you know, for anyone who was waiting at the very tail end of of you know the Lord, Yeah it.
Speaker 2: Might what do you make that? I look at that and go, okay, well, HI been wrong. Uh, And like I would think that the people who vote for the Oscars would also be in that same category. I get that the artsy factor here, and you probably shouldn't crap on the arts or anything, but yeah, you speaking truth. I don't know how you hold that against him, if you're either he's this actor he's not. I don't I don't get why you take points off for that hold of grudge. It's petty.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, I think, like you know, people might think, like if who do we want on the stage, you know, the biggest night in Hollywood or whatever speaking to the mass is do we want someone who's going to uplift all arts communities?
Speaker 1: Or do we want someone who's like, you know, really really considering his own path to success?
Speaker 5: You know, I think he sort of has a reputation already before saying this stuff. You know, last year he was like, I want to be one of the greats. I'm not interested in, you know, anything besides being the best or whatever. Ye dating Kylie Jenner. So I think there's like a little bit of like people are sort.
Speaker 1: Of like, what is this guy here for?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And so those comments didn't help, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So he's a bad boy and he could go oh for too here because he didn't win. For a complete unun which I thought he was fantastic in is Bob Dylan and probably will lose to Michael B. Jorge, is what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: Twitch, You're thinking Bettman supporting actor real quick. It seems like Sean Penn is a lock in this. I mean he was. He was fantastic and want to battle after another Like, I didn't know how you could do better job acting than Sean Penn, did? I agree?
Speaker 1: I agree, he was amazing in it.
Speaker 5: I think the only other person who might pull off an upset here would be Stelling Scars Guard for sentimental value. But I do think it's Sean Penn's to lose. But the interesting thing is that, like Sean Penn has declared he doesn't care about awards or anything like that, so he might.
Speaker 2: Not even be there on the you know, yeah, he's won enough already, all right, So best supporting actors go.
Speaker 4: Madigan.
Speaker 5: I think for weapons she's like horrifying in the movie. This is one that your wife would definitely never let you watch. But she's amazing in weapons and she has I think it's been like forty years since her last nomination, so it would be like a real full circle.
Speaker 1: Moment should she win.
Speaker 5: But it could be Teana Taylor, who was in one battle after another, that could take it if it's not Amy Madigan.
Speaker 2: All right, so you got Oscars happening on Sunday and Conan O'Brien the host again, that's correct.
Speaker 5: And they start at seven Eastern this year, so it's an hour earlier, which is kind of nice. You won't have to be up till eleven to see who takes home best Picture.
Speaker 2: I think I'm hysterical, so I definitely watch the beginning see what he does. Will Gance, I know you got to get going, brother, appreciate it. Have a great weekend. Thanks you two. Take care.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: You can catch him at at will Gans with two s's and not a big oscar guy or b. I just don't care about award show. I think that Timothy Shallow may things interesting in that you know they would hold the he said about about ballet in theater and the dismissal of ballet and opera. It's like, how many people are really going to opera anymore? Yeah, I mean they're amazing singers, there's no question about it, but most people are like, it's just there's more entertainment options out there. And I would say the same of ballet. It is really back of the room, highbrow stuff. If that's what you're into. Cool. But at the same time, it's like he's not lying, it's about saying even that's kind of fading as well. It's it's getting even more about the small screen than it is the big screen. It all changes over a period of time. You know, baroque music isn't the thing anymore. I don't think if you admitted that would they hold it against you because it's entire It's all petty, right, is that either you're the best actor or not. It shouldn't weigh in what what your personal beliefs are about other arts. But they're going to hold that against which again makes more people want to watch things like the Oscars less because it's a bunch of insider bs. And then politics, of course, I'll rever it's ugly ahead and I just I don't. I don't have any room in my room for the Oscars or Ward shows generally speaking, but I will say that I saw Timothy challow May and A Complete Unknown was fantastic, Like he learned how to he learned to be Bob Dylan for that movie. It's insane, kind of like, I don't know if it was what it was nominated for, maybe soundtrack, but the Springsteen movie was phenomenal. It was not about, oh, you know, it's as predictable, you know, here's the band and everybody together. It was about him coming up in Nebraska and he wanted to do this project and pretty much everyone in the studio was against it and saying, what the hell are you doing here recording out a boombox? And it turned out to be a classic album, so you know, again, he learned, Jeremy Allen White learned how to play guitarans and like Springsteen, if you go to a I Know iHeart radio app or Spotify where you get your music from download, he has like a mini ep out of the music that he's saying it's him singing, and he absolutely crushes a number of songs on there. You're like, holy crap. He sounds just like Bruce Springsteen, absolutely amazing, and Timothy Shallamy same way and complete unknown. So anyway, but I think that I did see and you may have seen it as well, one battle after another, and you know, not only was DiCaprio grade, and but Sean Penn was incredible in that movie and it kind of overshadowed everything else, but phenomenal film. So I could see that women big anyway on Sunday. Anyway, there you go, there you go, There you go, there you go. You can tell it's Award season two Oscar season because of all the celebrities there. Somebody I've seen Matthew Broderick who haven't seen in years on two different networks. I think it was in GMA. And Matthew Brodrick's one of those guys as you know you remember him, of course, a young Matthew Broderick, but older Matthew Broderick. We're getting older, you know, get a little thicker. We all always got to go. The older he gets, the more he looks like Kathy Bates. It's the most incredible thing. Literally, if they did a Kathy Bates biopick, I would cast Matthew Broderick. To play Kathy Bates. It's getting answered next twenty years. Watch him age. Some people do that, They get older and they just men morph into women. You know what I'm talking about. Next time you see Matthew brought to go, he's turning to Kathy Bates over here. All right, let's get a news update in very latest from on the world course. We've got war going on, we've got terrorist attacks, and we'll take it a little bit more serious. Coming up here in just minutes, Doctor Alex del Carman, who is a terrorism and mass shooting expert, will discuss what the hell happened yesterday. The war has definitely made it to the home front here. What does this mean for us here in Cincinnati. We'll get into that next on the Home of the Red seven hundred WW cincinnat I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: It's loanly here. Seven hundred WLW. Two terrorist attacks in one day on American solo at the synagogue in Detroit, rammed by a vehicle and an Isis length gunman targeting ROTC College students in Virginia, Pro Iranian group wiping out a major American companies network and striker and the FBA warning of possible drone attacks off the California coast. Definitely, the war has hit the homeland. And on that this morning on seven hundred ww is doctor Alex del Carmen. He's a terrorism and mass shooting expert at Tarleton State University. Doctor Alex, welcome back, How you been?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty disturbing and how quickly we saw events like this occur. Although I would suggest, and it seems to indicate that even the guy who's an ISIS link gunman wasn't maybe motivated motivated by ISIS. He tried to jone ice at one time, and then the attack at the synagogue in Detroit or outside of Detroita, I should say, they feel like lone wolf attacks. Are we going to see more of this in the near future?
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, I think that most of the intelligence that he is coming into the FBI and other federal agencies does suggest that. Right, So we're going to be seeing these things pop up from time to time, and hopefully not not in terms of frequency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two attacks in one day, as I said, and I would include in there too, the cyber attack on Striker also out of Michigan and the FBI warnings of Iranian drones off the California coast. None of this seems to.
Speaker 4: Look at it from the standpoint of terrorism.
Speaker 6: The Iranians for some time have been building the infrastructure, not only in the United States but in Europe to be able to activate their cells, and so the question is, right now, do they have the capacity and do.
Speaker 4: They have the willingness to do this. The willingness is there, there's no question.
Speaker 6: They pretty much have segregated their command and control structure to let these cells do as they please. But the order, I'm pretty sure the order has come out right that they want to rize Americans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would say the ROTC shooting is one individual. He had ties to ISIS, He spent time in prison for that, financial support and backing of ISIS, and then comes out and does this. As tragic as that is because one student did die so as a shooter, thank god that that was more of a lone wolf the one in Michigan and West Bloomfield, though outside of Detroit. The synagogue that the attacker drove a truckloaded with explosives into the largest reformed synagogue there one hundred and forty kids inside. Fortunately, they were fine and the individual shot to death by security. But as far as a tactical profile goes here, what does that tell you about the level of plan involved in that one.
Speaker 6: It means that they have planned it for a while, they were just waiting to execute it, right, So I think that that ultimately these folks are getting all their tools ready.
Speaker 4: They've had him for some time. And that's what I was saying earlier.
Speaker 6: I think the concern right now is how capable and how willing are they to go out there and execute all of these things. And that's what worries law enforcement because these are so difficult to detect and even more difficult to prevent.
Speaker 2: Doctor del Carmen on that too. Yeah, you just don't wake up and go, okay, I'll get some explosives that they had to be sitting on that for a while.
Speaker 6: Right, there's no question and that actually, you know, I'm pretty sure they're going to find out as the FBI goes into a deep dive here and find out where this guy House guy became radicalized. Now he was able to acquire all of these explosives. That is probably over the course of years that this has actually been planned. And like I said, they were probably just waiting for that execution order. They received it and off they went.
Speaker 2: Do you think a bombing like that with a truck bomb it's one person or does that usually indicate there's at least another person, if not more involved.
Speaker 6: It could be one person, but there could be others that are at the very least aware of the fact that this person is acquiring all these goods for no legitimate purposes, right, And they just used not to say anything. And that's part of the problem is you've got a whole bunch of people that are going to be collaborating without them even.
Speaker 4: Knowing that they're collaborating.
Speaker 6: By in some other cases, you know they're going to be held accountable, right, And that's what's important for the public to know.
Speaker 2: Relative to the shooting at Old Dominion in Norfolk, Virginia, this individual served I think seven of eleven years for ISIS supporting based on material support of ISIS. They released him in December of twenty twenty four. Was this an ideologically motivated symbolic target? I mean the targeting itself. I guess the question is was he should if he been on the radar? Because today there's a lot of second guessing. Is wait a minute, this guy was a relative in prison for material support of isis he gets out and then pulls this stup? Why weren't we watching him? Will be the question? Or is that just simply like you can't watch everybody?
Speaker 4: That's exactly right?
Speaker 6: A little bit of both, right, So, so on the one hand, the FBI has limited capacity to watch every single person that's been on the radar screen. But on the other hand, they should have been watching this guy because this guy obviously had a record and you know, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure pretty sure that he went about planning this event.
Speaker 6: There must have been some certain own electronic trail of some sort.
Speaker 4: That he must have had.
Speaker 6: And the bottom line is that they would have been able to prevent it had they been able to identify it earlier.
Speaker 4: So you know, I often say, let's give law enforcement.
Speaker 6: And break and you know, this is a huge beast to be able to identify all the time and be right one hundred percent of the time. But at the same time, there are some of these outliers that they need to be paying attention to, all right.
Speaker 2: The other thing, too, was he asked if was an ROTC class before you open fire, and I think that's the statement right there, as he deliberately targeted military student students who are in class for reserve officer training in an area, by the way, surrounded by military infrastructure. Norfolk is is where the Norfolk it's a naval air station there, so in airbase, but also aircraft carrieres and alikes. So Norfolk huge military community. The fact that he targeted ROTC students American military with a war with Iran, that's easy to put together.
Speaker 6: That's the statement, that's right. And also keep in mind these are soft targets. Right when you go to an ROTC place, whether it's in a college or in a high school, you often find that people are not armed. You know, there's it's really easy to be able to access the place and and find real military heroes that have been deployed overseas that are now senior reserve officers that are simply training the young ones to become officers in the future.
Speaker 4: So it's it's.
Speaker 6: Symbolic of not only the target, but also who is actually targeting, which is the future officers of the United States military.
Speaker 2: So it was ROTC students that killed the gunman in the synagogue. It was a private security detail that stopped the truck. Attacker crashes in the building, they fire, they kill him. No one else heard in that, thank god, with all those kids in there. So you had trained civilians and trained security person I'll not police the first line of defense there. Boy. For those who are saying, hey, listen, only police should have guns in law enforcement, that's the problem. This is a case for good guys with guns. If I ever heard.
Speaker 4: One that, that's exactly right. And for years I've been saying that the Second.
Speaker 6: Amendment is as every important as it it's just ever bid right, particularly because law enforcement is.
Speaker 4: Rather limited in what it can do.
Speaker 6: They cannot be everywhere all the time, and the good guys have to actually be able to have the access to the weaponry in order to be able to defend their property. They're low ones and everyone else for that matter. So absolutely this makes this statement that you know, the good people and in society need to be the ice and years of law enforcement. The first call to duty is to actually be reported if you can, but if it requires immediate action, then you basically intervene.
Speaker 2: We saw this with other terrorist attacks. Doctor Alex del Carmen from Charleston State University too, is an expert on the show on seven hundred WW. The two attacks yesterday is that the Oakland County Sheriff there in Michigan said, just two weeks ago they're warning about this exact kind of attack on juice institutions, law enforcement seas is coming. I'm sure there's conspiracies out there already floating around the interwebs about how, well, if they knew what it was, why didn't they stop this in the first place, Because it harkens back to nine to eleven that we kind of knew something was up with the increased chatter, but we didn't know when, where, and how.
Speaker 6: That's the problem exactly, And just because you have increased chatter, it doesn't mean that something's going to happen, right, So imagine the thousands of times that law enforcement is exposed to the increased chatter, maybe non specific intelligence about you know, Americans being heard overseas or domestically, and then all of a sudden nothing happens, right, So law enforcement has to be careful to be able to assess the origins or where the information is coming from, how authentic it is, how feasible it is, and whether or not the bad guys have the ability to carry it out. I mean, you have a lot of Wanta bees right overseas that send all sorts of bad wishes to Americans, and we have to take everyone seriously. But at the same time you also have to dissect which ones are the ones that are more realistic and the ones that have the capability of doing harm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So the FBI is now juggling a synagogue attack, we have the university terrorism case RTC shooting. We've got the Striker cyber attack, which is massive drone threat warning, sleeper selling ourself. All these things are going on simultaneously. Is the FBI resourced and organized enough to manage that kind of multi threat environment? In your opinion?
Speaker 6: They are well trained, right, But at the same time, keep in mind too that many of the FBI agents are being sent to.
Speaker 4: Other tasks and so while the world is.
Speaker 6: Still now chaotic in many ways, and they're trying to activate all their personnel to try to prevent these things from happening and responding to those events that have actually occurred. Just to have resources that have to be allocated, personnel that you have to hire or bring in as contractors.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a challenge. I mean, I'm not gonna I'm gonna lie to you.
Speaker 6: I think it's it's a significant challenge going forward, especially if these things increase in the coming months.
Speaker 2: Uh US in intelligence intercept would appear to be encrypted radio activation signal after Committee's death, which was possibly meant for sleeper cell asses inside the US. And how seriously should we take that because I don't know encrypted radio activation? Why wouldn't you just call somebody on their cell phone or send send some sort of coded email.
Speaker 6: One of the one of the greatest capabilities that the United States has in terms of its intelligence resource network is audio. Right, So so we hear a lot of the things that are going on overseas by the bad guys planning bad things against Americans.
Speaker 4: But I will tell you that the encrypted part doesn't doesn't really surprise me. That's how they operate.
Speaker 6: I think we absolutely need to take it seriously, and we have to assume that more of these attacks are going to take place, and we have to take every single precaution that we can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the striker cybertech, I'm talking a lot of about that yesterday, Doctor del Carman that's a medical device company. You know, we've seen hospital attacks. We had that here in the Miami Valley, most recently up in the Dayton area. We had that here in Cincinnati a little bit too, and we see it all over the place. But this one went after a medical device company, not a hospital, not a power grid, and you hit the supply chain and the medical company that strikers so big it supplies all hospitals. They have at least some Striker products in there. You hit that in cascades the damage and so what are industries now, what do you think they should be terrified looking at next? Would it be water? Would it be electricity? One?
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 6: And I think that this was actually one of those things where they actually are testing out their capability, right, and the effect of that capability. Oftentimes we see these in cyber attacks where they basically go towards the random you know, medical component in this case, or they can go to air you know, limited air component that they actually try to disrupt, and all they're trying to see is how we react to it, how quickly we react to it, and what or not they have an any degree or potency of interruption in some of those devices. And so I think what I'm bracing myself for and what I think a lot of CEOs or this big co companies should be concerned about is what's next and how capable are they to be able to break into those components and then perhaps even limit the water resources that have the electric resources that we have the FAA. I mean, there's so many things that operate based on electronic devices and more importantly the Internet, that I think that we are incredibly vulnerable to what they're going to do. And and the Iranians are known for that, right. The Arenas have a long history of being able to partner with the Russians and the Chinese and interrupt the American way of life.
Speaker 2: They do it all the time.
Speaker 6: They actually have tackles all the time, just that people don't know about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you have all these attacks happening simultaneously. Wonder where the next shoe is to drop? And the one that hasn't fortunately taken place is we had intelligence that Iranian drones could be launch from a vessel off the California coast. They have an established presence, meaning Iran and their operators in Mexico and in South America. How realistic. A thread is that.
Speaker 4: I think it can it can't happen.
Speaker 6: I don't know that I would be worried about it per se, you know, way forward in the next couple of days.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think that the.
Speaker 6: Fact that this is out and for the public to consume it means that they have enough information and that is feasible that they could do this right. They're not just going to bring this up as a hypothetical and.
Speaker 4: We're going to dream about it overnight and then let people worry about it. There has to be some many diligence. I'm guessing that they would.
Speaker 6: They would simply be able to put together that says, look, they have the capability, they have their resources, and they can in fact do it. I have no doubt that there are many plans taking place for now on how to harm Americans, both overseas and in the homeland. And we have to we have to be vigilant twenty four to seven, especially now in the coming months.
Speaker 2: Because you have the war in Iran, you have Iranian link cyber operations we're talking about against corporations and probably more are coming. You got sleeper cell warnings, you got drone alerts, you got two Domestica tear attacks in single day yesterday. Do we need to pivot our national response here? Are Are we still organized like we were for nine to eleven because this is happening on different platforms all simultaneously. Do we need to regroup and rethink about how we attack terrorism here? Well?
Speaker 6: I think that part of the issue is, you know, we have a partial government shutdown, we have limited resources that are being fed into the fetch right now. You know, our attention is overseas right now, trying to provide resources to our military. We've got several campaigns going on at the same time. We've got Ukraine, don't forget about Venezuela and some of the things that are still going on over there, you know. And then now you have you around, you have the UAE being involved, you have the the Saudas, You've got the you know, the oil import capabilities.
Speaker 4: All of that is.
Speaker 6: Happening at once, and the economy is being affected, right and so all of these things take a lot of money and resources, and so where's the money going to come from?
Speaker 4: At some point?
Speaker 6: Once these barrels of oil are going to be at two hundred and three hundred dollars a barrel.
Speaker 2: No question. Before the synagogue attacker and the Old Dominion attacker, no, Typically we catch people and interrogate them and find it. But they're both dead, so no interrogation, we can't harvest intelligence there. How much does that set the investigation back or does it?
Speaker 4: I think it does to some degree. But the assumption is that bad guys are going to.
Speaker 6: Talk to us after they're being arrested, right, And many of these people are so radicalized that they're not going to be talking to us anyway, So I would say that it's limited.
Speaker 4: Of course, we always like to have people in are a lives.
Speaker 6: Talk to us and tell us why, perhaps even brag about it, so that we can gather intel. But the reality is we have digital intelligence that we're always going to be able to access. Right who these people were texting, who these people calling?
Speaker 4: Where did they buy some of the stuff.
Speaker 6: That they bought? Have they been overseas? Do they have any relatives that could have helped them?
Speaker 4: All of those questions are going.
Speaker 6: To have answers, and that's all intel that we gather. Sometimes we don't prosecute on it because we don't have enough to do so. But we certainly have enough information to be able to track down where the resources came from.
Speaker 2: Should we expect more micro events like this where they're connected obviously because of Iran, but not coordinated in much like it was nine to eleven? Can we expect more attacks like this, cyber attacks and everything included, versus one big attack on America like we saw back in two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: I think we can expect anything.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, I wish I could rule some things out, but the reality is that.
Speaker 4: We don't know what we don't know about these.
Speaker 6: Bad actors, and quite frankly, we have to be ready for a ninety eleven type of response. We have to be ready for what they're going to imagine and how they're going to be harming Americas. But remember that part of the ninety eleven scenario why they.
Speaker 4: Hurt us so badly, aside from the loss of life from that.
Speaker 6: Day, was the fact that we could have never imagined people were going to be, you know, flying airplanes into buildings and killing in US, in Americans, and so part of it is the imagination that bad guys have.
Speaker 4: We have to be ahead of that, and we have to we have to think the unthinkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. Doctor Alex Dell Kerman is a terrorist mass shooting expert at Tarlatan State University. Thanks jumping on this morning. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Take care. We've got a news update here just seconds away. And the big one, that's the thing is we have all these day we have, you know, the cyber attack element to me is the big one because much of the stuff, whether it's bombings, gun attacks and like it's it's going to contin and we've had it ever since for sure, but those are more isolated than one central big attack which could still possibly happen. And he said, but the cyber attack thing, to me is the one that I mean literally you want to bring America down to its knees is start messing with the infrastructure, the grid. Look at the Striker thing and how they're able to basically wipe out all of the data from a company and one file of the backups and everything that they have no data left whatsoever, everything that was in the cloud and their system's completely wiped out and gone in the backups too. And it's not a malware attack and not ho was sitting hostage and saying, hey, pay us money, we'll give you the information back. It's gone. I mean, think about that. We have P and G, we have banking, we have sententimes, we have all sorts of big companies like that, just in Cincinnati alone. It's frightening, isn't it sloany? Seven hundred w all the here we go, Big Sexy is here Austin elmore over on ESPN fifteen thirty in on his day off. Technically, because you have what Kentucky basketball today, on third.
Speaker 7: Day in a row. Kentucky Basketball has preempted our shows.
Speaker 2: How about that they still be here. Yeah, that's great for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. In the state of Ohio, however, specifically Southwest Ohio, we suck. Not good, dude, not good at all. We suck. Let's begin with the obvious one. Here is the fact that the UMass took care of Miami's perfect record eighty seven eighty three. The eight seed upsets the number one, and Miami finishes a regular season at thirty one and oh now their best hope is for an at large NCAA. But I think this is the fear that they lose their in the tournament. In the MAC Tournament, and now it's a coin toss whether than they make the field of for the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's one thing to lose in the NCAA Tournament or to lose in the MAC Tournament. It's another thing to lose the first game in the MAC tournament. Uh, not even getting to the semi finals or to the final. But I think thirty one to zero perfect regular season, I think that's enough for Miami to get in, even though they lost that game to UMass yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because some actually saying no chance. But you know, last time this happened was ninety nine. I remember this. It was on Miami and Kent right that both made it. As one was say at large, I don't know why they can't happen again. I mean, I know that there's bigger schools out there, but there's a number of teams getting in that just don't pass the sniff test. Miami at least does perfect record. You gotta give them something, Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Agree, I mean they always everybody wants to talk about their strength to schedule being three hundred and fortieth or whatever all that, but the other teams that are three hundred and thirty ninth and three hundred and forty. First, they're not undefeated. Miami went undefeated. They still were able to do that. And on top of that, some of these other teams that have been quote unquote bubble teams over the last week or so, they keep losing. Cincinnati is a perfect example of that. I think the best team that kind of was on the bubble over the last two weeks has actually been Ohio State. They've gotten hot and they've basically secured their spot in the NCAA tournament. But outside of that, nobody really wants to be in the tournament. Auburn lost again yesterday, So I think Miami is safe.
Speaker 2: Okay on that, and you know you want to see Miami and at least when go through the first round, hopefully get in the tournament. For sure, there are best hopes because u SE is out of it completely lost in ot and I have never seen and I've followed Cincinnati sports as long i've been here into the Bearcats. I've got bear Cat alums of my family that are just our season ticket holders, ravenous Bearcat fans, and I've become one through osmosis, and I have never seen the fan base this angry about a loss in a long time. Yeah, they should be angry.
Speaker 7: I mean they blew another lead, and this time to a team that in UCF that certainly is beatable. They were in position to win that game and.
Speaker 2: Just left. I mean, it's you can't you can't collapse like that.
Speaker 7: They did what they have done repeatedly over the West Miller era, which is that they go ice cold in the biggest moments on offense and they are brain dead the rest of the way. I mean, you can't get the ball over the timeline, results in a ten second violation, absolutely inexcusable, and then Wes Miller himself calls a time out with less than a second left because he was afraid they were going to sub that sort of stuff right there, as Terry Nelson put it. And good on Terry for saying it is low IQ basketball. He didn't use this word, but I will. They're a stupid basketball team, and I think that's a reflection of their head coach, who has repeatedly failed.
Speaker 2: In the biggest moments over and over and over again. Yeah, and sadly enough, because of the protection's nature, this whole thing is there are two losses for use Yester, you lost that game against UCF, but he also lost. Sean Trick. I saw that he was angry and he puts up up in the universe, is like, well, we expect to you expect more positive as an alumni, and he's like, the hell with you, guys, I want to talk about you again. It's so stupid.
Speaker 7: It's so stupid for people to act like that and think like everybody has to be able to be a boot licker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, that's just so stupid, insane. You played like crap.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, so you should demand and want and expect more.
Speaker 2: Yeah did so? This is this, It is this the the tipping point. And the tipping point is not the fans are angry and the way they lost this thing, but it's the alumni in specifically the boosters. Is change coming?
Speaker 7: That's a good question. That's a good question, man, because so, like, I mean, he.
Speaker 2: Saved his job near the end and then this one any good. Oh yeah, just totally blow up at the beginning of the year. You got to remember, at the beginning of the year, it was NC doublea tournament or bust. Yes, that was the goal. And I have remained steadfast in my belief this entire time. I'm not going to move the goalposts on Wes Miller. He needs to make the nc double A tournament. We've gone through this season where he's had meltdowns in the postgame interviews with Dan and Terry. He had a meltdown in the tunnel. He was crying on one of the post games. He's brought back Jisel James randomly in the middle of the season. They've blown these leads.
Speaker 7: Then they played like a top five team in the country for two weeks, and then they did this again. But for me, the goalpost has never moved, which is you have to make the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: I've heard over the last couple of weeks that he did save his job and that the people that are in charge of facilitating the finances to that program like west Miller and they want him to be the head coach. I don't know how you can justify that, especially the way the UCF thing has gone. And I talked to somebody this morning who said, now they think it's sixty forty he loses his job. So I don't know that they know what they want to do now. The big thing is on April first, the buyout drops down quite a bit. It drops down to, like, I think, under five million dollars. Can you afford to wait that long?
Speaker 2: And this this it was like you see who's available on April first, right, If someone's available, then you make the move. If not, you're kind of married to it for the foreseeable future. And so bearkafans frustrated. They should be frustrated. They shouldn't keep their mouths shut. They should demand better from this university. It has been really embarrassing to watch them melt down again. All right, So from Clifton to lack of victory Parkway, Yukon smokes Xavier ninety three sixty eight. I mean, and it's they've got their number. Yukon's a great team. Xavier isn't at this point. I mean, you think most people agree they're trending in the right direction, but just absolutely smoked it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Xavior was a feel good story for a little bit this season, and then they weren't as they got deeper into Big East play and it gets harder and harder in that conference to play, and then obviously going up against Yukon and the Big East Tournament is no easy task. Richard Patino said it earlier. This year, needs more money, needs more resources. They're building this thing. I think Xavier fans understand that. I think so too, and they're patient about it. You got the right guy in there. It looks like most NAVI fans I think like what he's doing, and program's head of the right direction. Where you see just seems like it's stagged. And that's the battle. It's not necessarily the teams you play in your conference. It's bragging rights here in Cincinnati. Huge, Yeah, without a doubt. That's the big That's the big one right there. Let's pivot to Red's real quick.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of sports news this morning with Audi here on seven hundred WLW. Season open for Boston is March twenty six. We're inside that two week window already. It's hard to believe Terry Francona set his starting rotation now with Hunter greenout, it's Abbott, Lodolo and Singa in that order against the Boston Red Sox a couple of weeks out, back to back lefties, and the Reds like to do this because you know, the matchup game that so many managers like to play across Major League baseball, if you can throw two lefties at a team that can really mess with their offense, and I think that's what the Reds are trying to do in a lot of these series, to have Abbott and Lodolo go back to back.
Speaker 7: Now there's a split view on that mindset. Some would rather, you know, separate them and go every other day when they're pitching, but the Reds like this idea of them going back to back, and it's probably going to be the same way for Boston. Boston's going to start Garrett Crochet on opening Day, followed by their big offseason acquisition Ranger Suarez, who's also left hand, so we might see a lot of South Paul's the first couple of games.
Speaker 2: Last week, we talked about the Hunter Green thing, which is just a head scratching, awful setback because that's your ace. We had another picture go down this week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Caleb Ferguson, who was one of their off season acquisitions, another left hander that was pitching pretty well and is expected to be a big part of the bullpen. He goes down with an oblique injury, so he's gonna miss the start of the season. He'll start the season on Io. We don't know how severe it is. I don't know. It's like, yeah, points, you've got to be really careful with it. So I'm sure they will, especially since it's early and hopefully you know, I've two weeks to get ready. Can you'll get back with I'll missing a ton of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully no blisters be the other big thing that seems to bring pictures down, specially for the Reds.
Speaker 7: Lodolo especially, he has had a history of blister problems and I know that they've worked on that and they've tried different stuff with it, but it gets pretty thin.
Speaker 2: If Lodolo goes down. I got a problem there, So let's let's keep up. He should be rubbing his fingers of sandpaper every night before bed like that tough of those. Sure do it.
Speaker 7: I'm not kidding. Jeff Brantley said something along those. It's like, you should do.
Speaker 2: What it was, whatever it takes, get that skin, get blisters going down. We use lotion, right, stay away from the half the people here. Don't wash your hands. Yeah, no pop olive, none of that whatsoever. All right, So I felt like kind of we're bearing the lead a little bit, but I mean, college basketball is big. Wanted to get the little Red shout out in there as well with the preseason spring training winding down before they break camp and come back here. But of course the big story in Cincinnati now was the hope of not just the Reds, but now the Bengals. So in previous off seasons, we've he's seen our I don't want to say general manager, but the guy called Duke Tobin say we're gonna make some big We're gonna do this and it's going to be the greatest, and then there's nothing. I feel like, finally this time around, we're doing something. They've done something, something, something better than they have in the past. Let's just let's go down before we get the overview. Here, they get Jonathan Jonathan Allen, thirty one year old defensive tackle. Took a couple of days in negotiation there the third defensive edition this week because, as we know, the worst run defense in the National Football League. What does he bring to the table alongside BJ Hill, TJ. Slaton, Chris Jenkins. You got, yeah, what veteran leadership.
Speaker 7: This is this guy who's been a Walter Payton May of the Year nominee, And that was something that you know, Duke Tobin and Al Golden both talked about this offseason is we need somebody who can be a leader in that room, a veteran that can step up and be that. Now he's lost some juice over the last couple of years. His numbers have kind of steadily declined. There are some that believe him in Minnesota last year was not necessarily the right fit for what Brian Flores, the decordinator there, wanted to do. But he still generates solid pass rush numbers from the interior and that's something that the Bengals need. He needs to get better against the run. The Bengals as a whole need to get better against the run. The way I look at it is you're paying a thirty one year old, very similar type of player to bj Hill, and you're hoping that the leadership that he provides is going to have an impact on that entire defense. And also you look at him and say, okay, well he's better than Chris Jenkins, he's better than McKinley Jackson, He's better than the guys that are currently slated to stars. So in that sense, it's a net posit. It's a decent upgrade he get an older guy. But again, year thirty one is kind of Yeah, just to be clear, you're not signing Aaron Donald, you're not signing Geno Atkins, you're not signing Tim Krumrai, right, but you're signing a guy who's better than who you currently have. Yeah, you're not gonna get Max Crosby, but you're gonna, right, you're gonna get Boyd Maviy.
Speaker 2: So we added him as well. Yeah, boy a Mafe.
Speaker 7: This is a dude that I think a lot of people feel is similar to the mold of Trey Henderson in that twenty one offseason in the sense of he didn't necessarily get as much playing time because of the rotations and the scheme that Seattle had, but when he was on the field, he was generating some pressures. He was winning the pass rush win rate metric that ESPN uses really likes him. Those underlying metrics suggest this is a guy who's ready to break out. He's athletic, he's got heavy hands. He'd a much much, much much better run defender, yeah than Trey Hendrickson was. So for that reason, yeah, that's that's a good addition, and you hopefully can get the production that you got from Trey Hendrickson kind of in that same.
Speaker 2: Moment it was injured too, so you know, I was downside. We'll see what he does. The high bar, but it's yeah, definitely a high bar. But I like the run defense and that's huge. Yeah, and that is a big part of it. Like it's one thing to have pass rushers, but pass rushers don't matter if it's third and two correct, and you've got to be able to get into third and longer in those situations. Yeah, but you had those guys. That means Shamar Stewart, Miles Murphy take that next big step, you hope. So, yeah, you'd hope that those can do that. You're good.
Speaker 7: You know, they've talked a lot about force multipliers. You're hoping that these guys become force multipliers and make everybody better.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I really like the Brian Cook situation and signing him, because here's a guy who you know loves Cincinnati's watching the tournament, watching you see in the tournament, watch them lose right before he has press conference, Uh, mount healthy guy. You see, guy has rings with k C. He brings that the Cincinnati I love that. Yeah, And on a deal that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: The Engles finally look around and say, Okay, we got to fix this safety position that we screwed up with Jesse Bates. And this dude is the complete antithesis of what Genostone has been.
Speaker 2: The last couple He can actually tackle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like literally, Genostone last season missed twenty three tackles. All right, twenty three tackles last season. Brian Cook has twenty two missed tackles across his whole NFL career.
Speaker 2: Four years in the.
Speaker 7: NFL, And I think a lot of people feel like Brian Cook has some untapped potential in the ability to kind of come down into the into the box and be a bit of a blitzer as well. So Al Golden can be unique with those looks. He did that more at UC, he didn't do it very much in Kansas City. So I think we'll see a little bit more of that from Brian Cook from Cincinnati and to a Geno Stone. But here's the thing, so you got to look at it. So Brian Cook, Boye Mafe, Jonathan Allen, are those three guys do the acquisitions of those three outweigh Trey Hendrickson Joe's of Osai and Genostone. Yeah, Genostone, Yeah, I mean definitely. I don't know how much of a difference the other two really make. So when you just if you look at it as simple as an addition and subtraction, makes you wonder just how much better they're going to be.
Speaker 2: I guess, I mean, I look at it going, all right, how many more years of production are you going to get out of Hendricks? And sure, all right, that's a legitimate question at his age, but you know, again, Allan's thirty one, so we'll see. I guess it's yeah. I know you think it's like an even swap at this point. I think I don't slight upgrade. I don't think it's like, you know, game change.
Speaker 7: I think it's a slight upgrade just because of the massive disparity between Brian Cook and genos Yes, yea, And that in and of itself might be enough to make them feel better. And you still have the draft, and you still might get guys on the defensive line. You might get Ruben Bainn, you might get Caleb Downs, you might get some of those guys that can help make you feel better. You might even get one of those corners, yeah, out there, So it's it's an incomplete grade. I think a lot of Bengals fan feel like they've missed the boat on the linebacker position because the linebacker played last year was atrocious. I mean those two rookies Barrett Carter, Demetrius Night Junior. You had guys like Cayden Ellis and Leo Chanell signed contracts that were well within the Bengals budget, and the Bengals weren't even in on them. Are they don Yeah, I would assume that they are. I would assume that they are nothing significant. I think the Joe Flacco thing might play itself out closer to training camp. I don't know that Flacco is going to get in a rush to sign with anybody, but yeah, I think they're mostly done.
Speaker 2: Okay. And the other thing is the Orlando Brown extension, which I think it's kind of funny. Now we're in the AI world and I'm thinking, well, a lot of agents are like, damn, he did his own deal to your Eastay, but the chat GPT the contract, like, I don't need.
Speaker 7: The funniest line from Orlando Brown yesterday was Yeah, it's pretty much as simple as you just go up to Mike Brown and say, can we get this done? For all the all the things that people say about Mike Brown, you don't think it's that simple. But according to Orlando Brown Junior, it was.
Speaker 2: I guess now you know it was. It was a great He improved as the season went on, and that's yeah. That towards the end he was a little bit better. But I think he would say and a lot of people would say it wasn't his best season.
Speaker 7: It wasn't. And he's getting older as well. I know that the Bengals feel like he has to get in better shape, and I think that's something he needs to work on, especially as you get older, you got to be really careful with your body. And so I hope that that's something that he takes to heart and is able to improve. Because you got to go up against Dray Hendrickson. Yeah, twic at least twice. Right, That's the thing that's gonna be a fun matchup to watch. So yeah, if you remember the first day they practiced against each other, they got in a big fight, which you know, Trey had these big scratches around his back. He said they fought when they when he was in Kansas City playing for the Chiefs as well, So I cannot wait for that.
Speaker 2: All right. So you're thinking they're done because you hear about Leo Chanal and and Ellison guys like that. They've got money to play with, don't they.
Speaker 7: They have a little bit the issue. I Well, those guys have signed already with other chams. Ok And the rest of the linebackers available are not much of an upgrade between you and I playing that position. So a lot of Bengals fans understandably feel like they missed the boat on that linebacker spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you know there's a win now pressure that they're facing as well. I think inside the building they probably think they've done enough, but as far as fan reaction goes, it seems like, yeah, we did something, but it's not.
Speaker 7: They have a skewed reaction to what they believe is all in, and that's always been the issue with them. Duke Tobin, in a really pompous and arrogant way of saying it at the combine, was like, we're never not all in. We always try to win, and that's just not true. All Right, what is the one position of the draft. Then they absolutely have to hit on the park. I mean, if there's one, I would still there's a lot to hit multiple let's say, yeah, right, I would still want to build the defensive line. Okay, if you're good up front, that makes everybody else better, So I would start with that. I would hope that a good defensive line would make those linebackers better and make things easier on them. So if you're able to get one of those defensive tackles, whether it's Peter Woods from Clemson, Cad McDonald from Ohio State, Caleb Banks from Florida has now he's going to drop because he has a broken foot, ye could be a guy for the Bengals in round number two. That or Ruben Bain Junior, the edge rusher out of Miami. I think they are in love with the idea of him rushing from the inside, especially because now everybody thinks he has t Rex arms. So yeah, I just I think you continue to build from the defensive line on back.
Speaker 2: You've got the Willie arms when the check comes, That's right. Austin Elmore not on today with Tony Pike because it's day three of Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 7: That's correct. But the trust if you really really want my takes. You can subscribe and listen to the Ball Don't Lie podcast, Ball Don't Lie, Ball Don't Lie wherever you get your podcasts, including on the iHeartRadio app you and also on my twitter feed. I posted a twelve minute video yesterday because I just wanted to talk and I didn't have anywhere to talk, so I just started talking.
Speaker 2: So that's on there as well. Got to get it at audio more au t y al Right, when basketball is not on, it's Tony Pike and this guy, Austin Elmore at noon on ESPN fifteen thirty. He's got a reds hat on, he's got an Ohio State sweatshirt on. He's got not to go to the gym. I stopped here on my way to the gym. Nothing matches. I love it. He's repping everybody, all the best, buddy, have a weekend. All right, thank you, Scooter. There you go. We got news coming up in about five will full you in. What's happening? The weather's a complete and unmitigated disaster, among other things, and that's all coming up, including the local loop. Love and thirty five Alley drops by to talk about Saint Patti's day. Things to do places to get your drink on. That's all ahead on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLWED Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Want to.
Speaker 2: If you're a pet owner an animal lover, I have a very very important question to ask you, and that is what do you feed your dog? What do you feed your cat? We are inundated with marketing in America, always have been, always will I'm a big proponent of marketing and advertising. And what was fed to us like we feed our pets, is a steady diet of You are a horrible abusive pet parent, not pet owner pet parent unless you have someone like Guy Fiertti in a kitchen chopping up organic, fair trade, free range, ethically sourced, pesticide free, GMO, missing preservative, absent, carbon neutral, gluten free dog or cat food. If you don't feed your dog or cat that you are an abuser. Doug Hoffman is a doctor of veterinary medicine and a cute pet here in Cincinnati. Yes or no, Doug Hoffman tell the truth, So help you God? Is it necessary? No? So, Scott's good to be here.
Speaker 1: How are you, buddy?
Speaker 2: Goodness see you questions been a minute since my buddy Doug's been on the show, and and now you know why because he's going, what's this guy going with this right now? What's what's happening? No, I you know it's it's like, you want to do best by your pets, and do you really need do they really need organic peas?
Speaker 8: You do want to do the best your pets, There's no question about it. But the key, the biggest key with dog food and pet food. I don't care where it's cat food, dog food, whatever his consistency. The mistake people make a lot of times is feeding a variety of things. They don't do as well as we do with a variety of foods. The other thing, too, is all the vegetables, all of that type of thing. I mean, dogs are carnivores, cats are carnivores. They do better with meat based products.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 8: They put a lot of the other things in corn meal, different things like that for for filler, but a lot of your dry foods, Like I have a great dame. I feed him one food all the time, and you're a doctor. Occasionally, reasonally, I'll give him the crust off of a pizza, pizza, I sauce, no nothing.
Speaker 2: He loves it.
Speaker 8: It's the greatest thing in the world's nuts, a little piece of cheese every once in a while. He does great, and he's done great. And they don't have diarrhea, they don't have vomiting, they don't have all these problems, and they're not overweight. Yeah, I mean, you know, that's that's the key with this. If you do a lot of this, I mean, they love it, but that's more us making ourselves feel better about what we're feeding them than what they really need. A lot of the foods out there are very nutritionally well bound. They're made to feed them the same thing all of the time. It may be boring because we.
Speaker 2: Think, oh, I wanna have Chinese to that I don't have Korean, and I'm gonna have a dog all the time. No, no of that. The other thing about it, like you feed your dog all this stuff and then they'll go need a dead squirrel.
Speaker 8: So yeah, right, I mean, there's not a pickiness with a let's just call it what it is, not exactly other than like carrots or broccoli or I can't get my dog eat any of that, but I don't feed it that, So it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. It's the lead. If there's some butter on it. They probably just crush a carrot, right, yeah, I would.
Speaker 8: They'll eat anything. I mean I had when I was an emergency. I had a dog come in on emergency because this was a Thanksgiving Okay, somebody had done one of the you know, roasted the turkey outside, had all the juices and poured it out on their decorative stone to get rid of it. And the dog ate all of the stones, ate the rocks, the rocks. The whole thing came in, took an X ray. His entire stomach was filled with stones. Didn't lick them, ate the rocks.
Speaker 2: So they're not picky. They'll eat whatever. They're also not particularly bright. They get sick on chocolate and grapes and they'd crush some chocolate grapes. Like chocolate grapes. I think we're great.
Speaker 8: Well that's you know, that's where the variety of stuff comes in, is it can become dangerous. I mean, you know, the pets are sensitive to things that were not sensitive to. So you know you're safe with with the stak dog food. And it's a good quality food. Yeah, it's a good quality food. Stay away from the generics.
Speaker 2: What about cats because they see. The ones I've seen is like they tend to like their their dinner on crystal with like a it's got like, I don't know, some sort of reduction, vial reduction on it or something like that. Yeah, and they just sit there and they eat it out of crystal like a water Is it the Waterford crystal that the cats eat out of? Is that? What does it for them?
Speaker 8: That's that's I think says a lot more about the owner than it does about correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you don't care about your pet unless you're spending stupid amounts of money trying to feed them. I'm glad you, Doug Hoffman. I'm glad you cleared that up for us. I've always wanted to ask that question of a veterinarian because you know, I'm about I'm about the value I you know, we love our dog, we take care, but I'm like, do I really need Like what's that? I understand we got to start this. We're in the wrong business. You know what I want to do. We had to do here. You go, let's convince people and we can teach classes and sell products, breastfeed their animals. What about that? Let's well, that would be right it's like, well, you know, the next step. I would not either, but I don't know someone would go, oh, yeah, you should. You should totally breastfeed your cat. What could go wrong there? Doug Hoffman is with acute pet here in Cincinnati, and uh we we haven't talked in a while, I know. And people obviously love their animals, sometimes more than family members. I get it because the the affection is there for them. Too often it's about dogs and cats. Longevity is a big issue here too. You know. You mentioned the food thing. I also think about how exercise is very very important for you and dog or the cat is a cat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think that's you know, one of the best ways to get in shape is get get a dog, you know, to make long walk you know, and and I think that's that's key to that type of thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: We're big, big fans of uh, you know, exercising our pets and and and obviously responsibly, you know, the the big mistake people make, especially as we're heading out of winter in the summer, it's going to start getting hot. Yes, be careful with your dogs and taking them for long runs because you've decided now you're gonna get in shape, is in shape, especially if it's hot, especially if they're sort of the smash mouth breaky cephalic dogs.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. Heat stroke is a big, big Do you see that in the spring?
Speaker 8: A lot of times you'll see it oftentimes in the spring because when you hit that seventy all of a sudden, they're not used to it. Okay, all of a sudden, somebody's taken their dog for a four mile run and the dog hasn't walked half a mile and three months thought of that, and they can't handle it. And especially the dogs that have some of the breathing issues, we see that and the heat stroke comes on very quickly. It's very serious, one of the most sort of devastating emergencies we see because it's sometimes those dogs are hard good enough.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, think about it. So maybe you're training to run, maybe you're going to tank of the pig. It's like, okay, well this cold winter, you've been running in a treadmill. Your dog has it right, you can't just run out and they're like they've been sedentary this long. You got to build them up. Really, it's really watching them. You know.
Speaker 8: The thing that we always one of The first signs you'll see with the dog is it'll start to he'll sit as you're walking them.
Speaker 2: And everybody's like, come on, come on, get in shape, let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Dogs don't sit unless right, So you know, these are little things to watch for. I've been on walks at the parks and things and been able to predict as I've walked around, which dog I'm going to end up seeing is going to be a heat stroke? Okay, And it actually happened to me once at Sharon Woods and really watched the dog go by, and I said, that dog's going to stroke. And when another hundred yards and the dogs on the side, actually the guys like, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: His temperature was one hundred and nine.
Speaker 8: Oh lord, what so what what it was a it's a seventy five pound dog. We had to pick it up and the Harriot he had to go run and get his card, get it to the.
Speaker 2: Dog, and he was, okay, he is not dude. You just can't drop a dead dog.
Speaker 7: Star.
Speaker 2: There's kids less and people are weeping, right and it's just lie just fly yeah dogs by. He's the nice farmer. What the kind of show is this? No, that's terrible though. It's it's just horrible though. Poor guy. Well it was too long.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So it's one of those it's not a great story, but it's a story that's real. Like when you're talking about exercising, especially this time of the year, it's great to do that. Do it in moderation, make sure you're watching it.
Speaker 2: Okay, important too, because the results can be good because dog, he's not gonna Dog is going to go until it can't go anymore.
Speaker 8: It's loving life, yeah, and there's some that it can go forever and there's some that cannot.
Speaker 2: Okay. The other thing too, is we see and I've talked to Sanjay Shapercrimani or your physician. He comes on Thursday mornings. We talk about health and fitness and all these things. But I think that it's true with pats as well. We talked about nutrition and the like. But people are now using doctor Google or shat GPT to answer the medical questions and there's some pitfalls with that. I'd imagine that's probably true with pet care as well. It's I think it's even more with pet care.
Speaker 8: It's becoming very popular with you know, especially with the advent of AI and things like that. The problem is they can't talk to you. It's one thing if you know what your symptoms are and you're telling somebody or looking it up and going, this is how I feel, this is what's going on, this is what's happened to me. It's another thing to interpret that from a pet, and you don't really know what you're looking at, so you don't necessarily know what's an emergency. For instance, my cat is peeing all the time. I think he has a urinary track infection. What should I do for a urinary track infection? When in fact he's peeing all the time because he can't pee, yes, and he's blocked. My great Dane is vomiting. What should I do? Okay withhold food? Wait, okay, he's not actually vomiting. He's gagging because he can't vom because he's bloated. And it should have been a surgical emergence.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 8: So there's different things out there that that people just don't know because it's just.
Speaker 2: Cats and other pats too for that matter, and so keeping them on dogs. But yeah, cats, yeah, yeah, yeactly right, right, okay.
Speaker 8: Because you know that's what happens we see a lot of there's a lot of things that can be really serious that somebody can say, well, you know, and that's why, like, you know, all of our hospitals were very cautious with our front desk people to say, listen, you know, try not to give advice over the phone because you don't know. You can't see it and they can't see it. And it's sort of like listen to you know, it's your bait. It's like a pediatrician, Yeah, you know, you can't talk to you. So you have to really do a good physical exam and see what's going on, not just hear about it from somebody else.
Speaker 2: Doug Hoffman, doctor veter veterinary medicine, on the show here on seven hundred w Alws started talking about saving moneter whether or not need to feed your dog these bougie foods, and the answer of courses or cats for that matter, is fine, don't change it up, don't go from brand to brand. And what about like if I wanted beef versus chicken, the same thing. If I if it's beef and sweet potato, keep it beef.
Speaker 8: And consistently, it's not that one is better than the other. It's just don't switch it up all the time.
Speaker 2: That's what causes and also table scraps too. Although my dog will cry and cry and cry if he can't lick the bull's he's the best. So we have the pot scrubber mode on your dish or so, so don't do that. Just get an animal and put the bowl down and let them clean. Well.
Speaker 8: And it's one thing if you give your pet food scraps, like you give it a little piece of baked chicken.
Speaker 2: Don't give it steak, don't give it pork. These are things pancitis. Oh well, okay, good, Well, you'll have to be sensitive to it, not as much as you may have to break the news to band it because he's not going to take this well that he should not be licking the bulls clean. But the fall of that habit, I guess, I don't know. So he seems to be doing okay, he's fine, he's fine. You know. One of the other elements here too, a pet care and this is your business and cute pet is it seems like it's getting it's getting everything to get more expensive with inflation and a light too. But it seems like in pet care too, the prices are going up.
Speaker 8: They are, and you know, I think that's one of the biggest issues in veterinary medicine right now, is is care becoming unaffordable? Yeah, you know, because insurance still only accounts for maybe three to four percent of the pet population. So it would be great if everybody could do that. But even the pet insurance companies are seeing, okay, well this is expensive, yes, right, their rates you know, what used to be unable have become you know, difficult to do every month for some people, right, And and that's a real problem for you know, taking care of these pets the way people want to take care of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And you know, I came from a business that did you know, could do everything. I mean, I you know, my old hospital, I was one of the first ones to bring stereotactic radiosurgery to veterinarian medicine and cancer treatment. That's great for certain amount of people that can do that. It's great that we can. The question is, you know, it doesn't mean that we always should because sometimes people just can't afford this. So what are other treatments that we can do to at least help as much as we can or figure out ways to bring costs down in some way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's a challenge of human medicine as well as the veterinary medicine as well too. Cost everything seems to be. But I would say, you know, if you introduce insurance into it, like people, isn't that going to inflate the cost even more if someone else is paying for it?
Speaker 8: Well, I you know, at medinary medicine. I think one of the reasons that you see that on the human side. You know, my wife is an internist on the human side, and you saw this with insurance that some of the issues with that is that costs are so high, not because of insurance, but because of the threat of being sued, right because of you know, without tort reform. It's hard and I don't want to get into good Yeah, it's all different, but we don't see that on the veterinary side. So you know, we're just trying to get people to take care of their pets as best they can. Thank goodness, many many people said just what you said. They treat them as family, but it's still expensive no matter how much you love your pet. Sometimes you know these thousand, two thousand and five thousand dollars bills.
Speaker 2: You can't afford that, and sadly the alternative is like, well we've got to put our pet down and that's the most tragic thing of all because of money. So, I know, you guys are acute to pet, you're keeping the costs and.
Speaker 8: That's our goal, I mean is emergent care. You know, we're sort of that in between you know, general practice that you know is doing you know, the vaccines and dentals and boring and all of the things that are sort of primary care and the twenty four hours specialty emergency. We sort of fit in between that the emergencies that are emergencies to the client. A lot of times, you know, the ear infection, the laceration, of sudden limping.
Speaker 2: We're there.
Speaker 8: And the goal that we had with this company was be there to treat them when they need it, because it's sometimes it's hard to get into your family vet. Sometimes there's really long waits at the special hospitals. But also make it so that people can afford this and get in and be treated and not have this be something that sort of deters them from the other treatments their.
Speaker 2: Pet may need.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly exact because We don't want somebody to have an emergency and now they can't get heartworm preventitive for their pet, or they can't get vaccines or something like that.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So to keep it, you guys are on top of the road. Westchester, we are.
Speaker 8: We we have locations in Westchester. We have location in Beaver Creek up in Dayton. We have one in Bellevue, Kentucky. Uh and uh we have other ones in uh in uh Cleveland, and a couple actually in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: It's pretty grown growing practice. Congratulations, Thank you. Alo you guys would be like Starbucks pretty soon.
Speaker 8: Well you can have that would be uh, that would at Yeah, but no, it was it's you know, one of the goals was is we wanted to do more than just one in one location. We wanted to try and be, you know, have a little bit of mass to this and that you know, we can you know, help not just the clients and the pets, but also help the veterinarians that work for us and the staff have you know, hopefully have veterinarian veterinary medicine be fun again. Yeah, I think there's a little bit of that's that's getting lost in the mix.
Speaker 2: I hear that in the in the human and it's it's all about numbers, and well it's hard. It's hard.
Speaker 8: It's just doing what we were talking about, trying to treat a pet and then giving them an estimate and they go, I can't do it. And now you know, there's just there's there's where medicine is just not fun. Yeah, because you certainly don't want to be in a situation where you have to choose your pet's life over your pets treatment.
Speaker 2: Are you getting, you know, people for their medicine? You know, your kids? I mean, people have emergencies. People only a forward so much.
Speaker 8: So you know, we're trying to maybe maybe change that model a little bit.
Speaker 2: So we love that's good luck, human touch and you know they but cost conscious not a bad but it's like, hey, you know we we're trying to keep everything down for everybody because life is expensive. Doug Hoffman's team, you're looking for a cute care for your pet, cat, dog, and everything is there anmily want you what about a giraffe? I brought a giraffe in hand that have to go to giraffes. Toy's Russ is closed. So we can't even do that anymore anyway. It's a cute Pet in Westchester on Tellers the Road. What's the website, It's a cutepet urgentcare dot com. All right, doctor Doug and Jess and Steph, thanks for coming in this morning. A Cute pet is the place. Answering the tough question here, do you really need to feed your dog or cat all that fresh stuff? The answer is no. Decent kibble will be just fine. The reason they put vegetables in those things, it's more about you than it is the dog. Dog doesn't need that. You need that to make you feel better about yourself. So don't now the guilt trip. You don't need any more guilt trip. Scott's Loan Show seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Weekends coming up, and you need to make the most of it. Where to go and what to do?
Speaker 8: She asked the tips inside to help you make it a super weekend.
Speaker 1: So listen up.
Speaker 5: This is the local Hoop with Allie Martin on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Goollo, Hello Florida buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of, it was weird. So I was in Florida for a long weekend last weekend, and we found out yesterday during this segment that we were both leaving for the same airport RSW, which is Fort Myers, except you were leaving later on a frontier flight. Yeah Delta, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, little did we know we could have left at the same exact time. And I was there for pickleball and you were there to soak up the sun to place and gold I did.
Speaker 4: How did it go?
Speaker 2: Successful?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 9: It was great?
Speaker 2: First two days, suck can hit the ball. By third day won my I won six of my twelve dollars back.
Speaker 9: Throw some money out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big mistakes.
Speaker 9: I mean the weather was nice and we had hit a little parkcast was nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, it was great little Sona and Camplain most people and get a chance to get away. It was like just a nice little long weekend.
Speaker 9: I just I'm still giggling over that where we didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, right before we left. And it's good I got out of buy any drinks anyway.
Speaker 9: I really wanted to capitalize on that.
Speaker 2: Club at at Allie Martin eate in the Good Drama. She is here to chop up what's happening this weekend. I don't have to say this. This is the one coming up. It's the one day of the year we pretend to like Irish dancing and boiled food and for one day. Yeah, for one day we I'm leading it. Irish dancing is great for one day.
Speaker 9: Let's go you know, I'm I am here for any and all of the Irish dancers.
Speaker 2: That's not easy, I can say it was.
Speaker 9: We're celebrating Saint Patty's Day.
Speaker 2: Baby, let's go eleftchi. Yeah, it's also a Tuesday, though, but we always do it the weekend before well.
Speaker 9: And yeah, luckily at the Tuesday, so we'll throw it back into the weekend before when it becomes a Wednesday events or Wednesday. Then again, what to do I don't know what to do?
Speaker 2: Round up around.
Speaker 9: We'll discuss that next year. But this year we have the fifty eighth annuals since Addie Saint Patrick's Day Parade, happening tomorrow March fourteenth, down at the Bank, starting at eleven forty five. So this route it's a pretty small well, it's a bit it's an oddly big barad in regards to how many floats there are, but the route itself is pretty small. It's down by Marringway and Central av You get every single Irish bar that you could possibly think of all of the Irish dancers making their way. You get the bagpipes and the Grand Marshal is Tony Pipe.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how did he? How did he useph feed that of his? He even Irish Pike Pike.
Speaker 9: It was thin Tony O'Malley or something that I'd be okay, Tony Ryan.
Speaker 2: He's a tall guy, bless it.
Speaker 9: It is sponsored by Guinnis uh and I am not again, I'm not a beer drinker, as you know, but you gotta have a couple of green beers, maybe a Guinnis or two. Yeah, so that's a.
Speaker 2: Cut back with Pike. Pike likes to drink. I like Tony because he's a you like. Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: The last time we all hung out, what was the the bar.
Speaker 2: And Redding that we would that yeah, yeah yeah. Austin was still of course, spend there for two thousand years. We'll be there for two thousand more. Austin Olmore is a celebrity bartender. That night we got to keep all the money. He made more money I think in one night than he does in a month here. It's pretty good.
Speaker 9: I do remember him questioning whether he should have a career change.
Speaker 2: Yes, that bar is looking good. That was a good night man, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 9: We should recreate that. If you're listening, Augie, let's go.
Speaker 2: We got to run that one back for you.
Speaker 9: So honestly, Augies would probably be a great place to celebrate Saint Patty's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice little small bar.
Speaker 9: Let's because dive bars, right, dive bars. Dive bars are the best dive bars, the epitome of Irish bars. And let's see so downtown if you are celebrating with the same Patties Day parade, the Red leper Red Leprechaun is the spot. The Holy Grail obviously always does something. O'Malley's in the Alley. This is my personal favorite. If you're really looking to go authentic and classic. You got Murphy's Pub in over the Ryan Clifton area, Cobblestone. They've been doing they have new ownership over in OTR Cobblestone got it and it's really nice because every season they're you know, they'll throw at Valentine's Day and.
Speaker 2: It'll last you about a month.
Speaker 9: They're doing that for Saint Patty's Day, which is great.
Speaker 2: Crowley's Molly Malone.
Speaker 9: Molly Malone's, and that is these staples. So if and if you want to really celebrate on Tuesday, on Saint Patti's Day, they are doing their staple. It's an all day festivity. They pop up the tent, they do green eggs and ham, they have multiple bands, take the next day off. They're playing any of the soccer matches or football matches that you could possibly think of. The fish and chips are going, the green beer is going. So if you're gonna actually really celebrate on Tuesday, go to O'Malley's or not. O'Malley's, Molly Malone's in Covington, and of course r P. McMurphy's.
Speaker 2: You've got what's the Irish bar we met at We remember a while ago, was in Kentucky. I forget where it was us. I can't remember Malone. No, no, no, no, I think we're actually we're headed out of town that weekend, I think. And I was hard to get the CVG. I thought this is.
Speaker 9: Gonna be one of those FLI moments where we remember it. Yeah, yeah, you think about it too. In addition to all of our classic Irish pubs, the Red Leprechaun is hosting festivities all weekend long. Along with Ryan Geist, Braxton is hosting a seven bar bar crawl the winter House situation on Fountain Square. They're going to be having live music, green beer, all of that jazz, uh you name it. Just head downtown. Okay, there's gonna be something happening. There's a hot chance we're going to run into each other. These are these are my people and the bagpipes. I'm sure we'll be out and about. That's wait, where I remember where we were the pub? Was it just a yeah, yeah, yeah, where we grabbed dinner and then I took the dishware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I ordered a show shepherd.
Speaker 2: Remember there's a lot of pubs though.
Speaker 9: It's the same one that's also in Rookwood. It's like the Crestview pubs.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was good though. The food was really really good.
Speaker 9: It was fantastic. So that's happening all weekend long. Speaking of fun divy bars, I think I might have found one of my new favorite spots. And if you if you have never heard of it, or you try to look this up online, good luck. It has basically no digital footprint. It's called high Water Saloon.
Speaker 2: No digital footprint, that's what I want.
Speaker 9: Did good luck finding it. It's off of old Route eight, so you know it's gonna be a bumpy ride getting there. And came across this because the week that I bailed on you for the barrel pick at ten o'clock in the morning coming back from Augusta, Kentucky. So if you're going to and from Augusta, this is one of those must up places. And let me tell you, if every dive bar it had to close down, they shut down and you would consolidate into one. All of them have come into one, into this, into this place called High Water Saloon, and it is there's so many lights, there's so many pinball machines, there's so much to look at. So much is happening. And the owners they are from Vegas and they decided to leave Vegas post COVID all the craziness and find a spot out here and settle in. And so there's like a lot of Neon signs they have. Yeah, they have lawn chairs outside. It's just it's really hard to explain unless they.
Speaker 2: Got lawn chairs inside or outside.
Speaker 9: Ball the above inside and outside, so many different lights. There is something to look at in every single again, every dive bar has been consolidated into one. Yeah, this is it, and it's got It's like a gas station that's not a gas station. There's a pool table, I've got foods, ball. Yeah, they have a pool table, they have foosball, they have pinball, a little music set up in a corner. Colectic, eclectic, and then it's almost like a little gas station set up is inside because they have all curated snacks. I guess if you were at a gas station making a trip. Yeah, okay, so it's it's everything really cool. You can watch some sports, hang out. The owners were really really Melbourne, Melbourne, Kentucky off of Old Route eight. It's called high Water Saloon and I imagine it's going to be a great biker bar destination just knowing where it is. Highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 9: This is one of those off the radar spots. Good luck looking it up because.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna, okay that I love those off the beaten paths. Yeah, no YELP, no Facebook, no X, no Insta, not p Interest.
Speaker 9: Nothing I will do on my no interest, even though they say, even though I say, no digital footprint, I will probably post.
Speaker 2: You will, okay, so you'll claim it.
Speaker 9: I will claim it because I haven't seen anybody else do it.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 9: Here we go if you're looking to totally shift gears here. So the Cincinnati Theater or Sinciety Children's Theater, they have recently, and we've talked about it a little bit, how they've taken over their new space in the Emory Building downtown and American Legacy tours. They are now actually starting to do behind the scenes tours.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: This is kind of rare, and they're not doing it all the time because a lot of the times the children Theater, the Children's Theater is in there performing and just this weekend and next weekend only, so the fourteenth, fifteenth, the twenty first, and the twenty second, you can go behind the scenes of this theater and see all of the new renovations. They have a standalone world renowned lift that's one of a kind. They invest an elevator so you know on the stage nowt yeah, like the stage out of the stage the weekend, like exactly like the weekend, and it's the largest stage lift in the country apparently.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Crazy, And they've invested over fifty one million in this glow up in this space. Allegedly it's haunted. It used to be home of the Mighty Well Wurlitzer Oregon. So there's just so much history in this space. Martin Luther King spoke at one point in time there the same thing with Eleanor Roosevelt. So when and if and when you take this tour with American Legacy Tours, you learn all about it. But you also see the renovations and it, honestly, it is beautiful. And right now their only available spots are March fourteenth at two p which is this Saturday, and then March twenty second at two p so they're going fast. But if you like history and you enjoy theater and you want to support children's theater as well as American Legacy Tapers, yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Really cool, like one of those one of those treasures that no one knows about, the Memory Theater.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I don't think people realize the significance of the history of just that building in general, because yes, part of that building is a theater, but it's a much bigger billy because it's the same building that's attached with coffee and porium and at one point in time, it was an element of a production plant. Now it's condos and apartments. There's a basketball court that's in that building. It's weird but very cool, a lot of history.
Speaker 2: They got snacks, they got lawn chares in there. They got flamingos, Flamingo pretty good, britty good well Al Martin in the local Loop.
Speaker 9: You know I love a good silent disco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is that again?
Speaker 9: We talked about this a couple of months ago and they're bringing it back. This is where you will see. You have new fancy headphones you that would work theater, and when you buy a ticket, you go and there are three DJs and they give you a pair of headphones and they light up in different colors, so you have three different stations to listen to. And you just go and you hang out and you dance.
Speaker 2: And it's really funny just dancing to a different groove because there's three different DJs.
Speaker 9: Three different DJs, and they're kind of competing against each other. And I bring this up again because I'm big on trying to get people to go out and just do things. These days, I feel like it's hard sometimes to pull people out of their homes, whether people have social anxiety, whatever it might be. And this is a really, really great way to connect with people if you like music and you like to dance, where you don't necessarily have to talk to people, but you can kind of vibe and just be if you don't want to tell you can or you can.
Speaker 2: That is gen z stuff of all time. I know you're millennial, but it's centainly because it's a social gathering, but you don't have to talk to people. You can be in your own world while you're around other people. It's the most self absorbed.
Speaker 9: Is it self absorbing? Is it just fun?
Speaker 2: Well, it's fun, yeah, but if you think about it for longer than thirty seconds ago, it's kind of self absorbed because the whole point of live music is to bring people together in unison, and if you have three different things and headphones or not, there's no interaction there is there.
Speaker 9: I get what you're saying. I just think this is a totally different concept, like I wouldn't it's cool.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 9: I say that it was created to you know, keep social isolation.
Speaker 2: That got for bluetooth, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what about the hard wire?
Speaker 2: Don't have to go anywhere. Yeah, because all the chords that to be so we tried.
Speaker 9: To because a game of jump up.
Speaker 2: We tried to do this at nineteen seventy two, and it's just a lot of people got strangled, trip broke legs. It's just it didn't work.
Speaker 9: They didn't understand the ground.
Speaker 2: We right, we brought it back and now okay, now it's wireless. Okay, I got it. The fact that this strangled to death there listen to thirty eight special. All right, so there's three different So do you know what the music, what the playlists are.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what's great is you have three different DJs. One DJ is more modern dance tunes, another one's more EDM focused, and then the third one is seventies, eighties, nineties. And my favorite part about it, Number one, I love to dance, So it doesn't matter I'm going to be there anyway. Is you could kind of see the change color and see which DJ is sort of taking control of the dance.
Speaker 2: Is all the colors changed on the headphones?
Speaker 9: Yeah, wow, steps.
Speaker 2: In, Yeah you do, and your thought you just keep pressing the button. Here's like that's good, all right? Yeah, yeah, it certainly beats the chorded version of this. It was unmitigated this.
Speaker 9: That'd be a good SNL sit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made the Silent Disco nineteen seventy two, version seventy eight.
Speaker 9: Somebody gets strangled in the yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's still the guy who set that whole thing, by the way, is still trying to get the knots on all the headphones like the Christmas lights. It's been working on it for fifty years.
Speaker 9: A fuse blows like, I.
Speaker 2: Can't get this not out. It's three hundred pairs of headphones and it's.
Speaker 9: Like the old school phones too with the Yeah, with the.
Speaker 2: Cord, that's right, it's long cord. We had that were a long yeah, spiral cord, viiral cord, and then you like get the upgraded one. It was thirty five feet long so you could take it from the kitchen all the way and then people walk in have to do the limbo and step over it. Yeah, that was the whole thing.
Speaker 9: It was before we've come.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, so Alie Martin local loop. You got a food thing real quick and we're on late here.
Speaker 9: Hey, yeah, this will be a quick plug because I want to follow up on this next week. Anyway, It's a sandwich shop called Alvio over in Marymont. Got it. Uh, It's been more than one or two people have told me about this spot, and I'm going to go check it out this weekend. So follow along with the journey. But I might they might have the because we're in lenten season. The sandwich, the tuna sandwich. This the fish sandwich to go to. It's called the Latano. It's like a lemon caper aoli and it's an oil packed tuna, red onion, parsley, chili sauce, arugula, lemon oil, all on a fresh sabotta bread. And I'm on a mission to go and just see what it's about. Ever, nothing but good things, So I will report.
Speaker 2: Back for good Sammy who's not all right? Ali Martin at Ali Martin eight is her handle, and the good Drama on YouTube. Check it out because she has this whole thing about updating her license. We talked about this last week.
Speaker 9: So that took the test yesterday.
Speaker 2: That was the driver's licensed version of the accorded headphone debacle. Anyway, have a great weekend, Happy Saint Patty's Day. Willie on the way next, Happy weekend, Scott Sloane returns nine o'clock Monday morning. See you then, have a good one. Seven hundred wws since then,