Speaker 1: I don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: Slowly here on seven hundred Wright Trump Hurricane Trump blowing? Is Switzerland different? Davos is all upside down't know what to bay. They're like, what do we make of this guy?
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: You got tariffs, you got Greenland, he got so much more. The big question, of course, then is how this impacts us. And a new study shows US tariffs anyway not good. Dominic Misserendino on the show Retail techmedianexus dot COM's website, Dominic, good morning, How are.
Speaker 3: You doing well? How are you doing that?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. There's a lot going on. You got Trump cutting off the head of the beast in Iran, the straight of hor moves. Oil prices are going berserk. And on the tariff front, auto tariffs, the auto industry reporting thirty five billion in losses so far, with more to come than I say, and so it's definitely hit to the manufacturing industry as well. And on that is our buddy, Dominic Miserindino and Dominic. Since this has been going wrong, we've learned that exporters and that'd be the guys over there, only pay for about four percent of the tariffs. The rest is on the American consumer. We heard the Supreme Court ruling and struck this down. Where's it all going?
Speaker 3: Well, first, thanks for the questions all that intro. You know, one has to consider what is a tariff. And the tariff is tax on the goods coming in the door. It's not as if the other country is paying it or the other person sending it over. It's the importer. And if an importer is receiving this goods and going to sell them on he's getting his t shirts in for ten bucks or his coffee in, he's not likely going to say I will just absorb that tax right and enjoy it for the fun.
Speaker 2: You can for a while. But it's not sustainable in the long term.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: And in certain cases, not only that, the margin just isn't there. When you're buying your fifteen dollars for a pound of coffee, at one point you just have to pay the guy to pick the coffee, grow the beans. It's not as if it's dock a dollar, and yet magically it's fourteen dollars the profit. So when you do have these tariffs, generally speaking, they're higher than the profit margin. So if you're running a business and your job is importing coffee beans and you have a tariff slapped on that, you're going to raise the price. There's just no other choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to. And that's why inflation is where it is. I mean, it's sticky. The I think the Chairman of the Fed, Jerom Powell, said that they expect things to maybe level off here and it's starting to go down slightly slowly, but it's going to be in long slog until we burn off some of this tariff stuff. So on that when it comes to the retail environment that we all have to participating as American consumers. If you do a deep dive on this study that came out that said ninety six cents of every dollar's paid for paid by American consumers and the tariffs, I guess you see trade volumes. The volume collapses, but the price is stay high. So does that simply mean that certain product categories have been discontinued or limited because of the aras and we just like we dwindled the supply, maybe not of quantity, but of choices. Does it eliminate choices?
Speaker 3: Consumers still love choices, but it eliminates choices in terms of demand. If you're going to go to Starbucks, you're not necessarily going to buy that coffee where the beans are so super rare. When it's forty five dollars a pound. After a while, you're going to start chooting. You saw this recently with the car manufacturers saying, you know, the importing the luxury cars because the average consumer is going to say, I don't want to spend that much. Once that price goes up, the choice of luxuries starts getting hit too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of this stuff feels luxurious. I've seen some of you. Well, our buddy John John from our Sisters station in kiss Oo seven, I saw him yesterday and he had a bag of the mushroom coffee. I've heard about it and ever seen it live in the real world before. And I said, ah, man, I'm coffee so expensive right now? Is that a good alternative? He said, no, it's like forty five bucks a bag for some mind. What the I'm like, I guess there's still some first roll of problems out there. Despite the economy.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, people will still do it. And will he do it every day? Will he do it every week?
Speaker 2: It's kind of dumb. He probably will.
Speaker 3: Well that's a different story, you know. Then that's an intelligence issue going on and that. But there is a truth to that. If there is somebody who has the budget for such things, yes they are not impacted. If you are a billionaire, you're not really worrying about the type of coffee you're buying. The average guy covering the average bills, he's worried and some of these paraffs. Keep in mind, the premise normally is please get manufacturing back to the United States.
Speaker 2: So what categories do you see that are primed to bring back here. I mean, there's some that are simply not going to come right. We've got to acknowledge that.
Speaker 3: And there's exactly that's one of many problems I think that we're seeing is that Number one, is it the direct motives? Number two, are we hitting products that we can even bring back to the United States? Coffee, I keep on quoting, because you can't bring that back. There's just there's no back. There's no way to grow a book feed. No, there's certain chemicals, there are certain manufacturing I remember reading an article of people in West Virginia saying, we don't want to have our grandkids work in the mind that we did that, the different mindsets, sometimes you don't want it back. And also keep in mind tariffs smooth holey like, there's been historical precedent where people don't really love tariffs. They don't work out so well historically speaking. But it was a campaign promise, so now it's being used for multiple motives. And when you don't know what that motive is, it's very hard for the markets to readjust.
Speaker 2: Which is why we see all this volatility, the green one, everything else. We just don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, and markets hate that. They like certainty, inconsistency, They hate what's happening here relative to volatility. If you have a product like Brazil any other countries with a fifty percent plus teriff, right you kind of touched on a little bit, But are there domestic alternatives or non tariff suppliers from other countries? Are we starting to find.
Speaker 3: That depends on the product. And the other minor issue is depends also on the complexity of the product. You're talking about supply chains and a very elaborate supply chain system that has been created over years. So car manufacturer and You've discussed that that takes years to build a factory iPhones. You don't necessarily hear about new iPhone factories being made in the US because it takes a good degree your time. So with that in mind, it is a mechanism that requires a good degree of time, and people do want to be aligned to know why are we doing this?
Speaker 5: Potentially, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: About something like clothing? For example? Is that I mean we have cotton? Where are we able to manufacture clothing? Take some of this stuff back?
Speaker 3: All this in theory could be done because the other question begs, we're used to going on Amazon buying a shirt for five dollars? How are you going to possibly do that in America with a fifteen to twenty dollars hour minimum wage in most areas, it's not going to happen. So the costs on the consumer. We're used to this Amazon team world. Where does that go?
Speaker 2: Well, some of us might say, go, well, you go back to the old days. We made everything. It was larger because of World War Two, Right, we're the only giant left stand. We became a giant and everyone else, you know, the European economy was in shambles because of the war, Russia was not a player, India, China, and they were all prehistoric colonies. But at that point a lot of people haven't got anywhere near. So we've made everything for the rest of the world because the infrastructure was wiped out. So we got fat, happy and complacent in the fifties, in a part of the sixties, and then all of a sudden by the seventies, like the Japanese came around with the auto industry. We started to see that turn. So it's easy to unravel it and go, hey, you know, we're gonna bring up the rest of the world. We're gonna see prices drop resultless. But now we got to the point where dependent on those foreign goods, you can go one way, but you can't go back to the way it was. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and bring those jobs back here because the cost of a T shirt would be like four hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, the next question to me is do we want that we had manufacturing here? Did we necessarily love having factories all over? Right? We turned into a service towards the economy yep, And you know, we turned into the brains of the world. Developing stuff. If you look at the top biggest companies Facebook, Twitter, you know, all social media, our movie industry, we're not necessarily building U stuff. But that said, we are the guys organizing and creating that service, does that and want to change? Do we truly want to have more coal factories or more this, or do we enjoy ordering that stuff in the door? And yet you know, having that privilege so to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's also reflect that's also reflected back. Like kids, for example, used to be well, what do you want to be? I want to be? Uh, I don't know, I want to be an astronaut, right, don't be a firefighter on being okay? And what kids want to be influencers today?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Those are other service jobs? Did you agree? But largely it was like and no one says, hey, you don't I own to dig ditches from our life. Okay, it just happens. But and we need those two to quote Judge mails. But nonetheless, kids today want to be influencers. I'm not quite sure you're that's a reflection of our culture right now. We don't want to work harder, we want arc smarter.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's what also is it change too. Where we became the country that people are immigrating to educating our population. Now we're having a brain drain of people saying I'm not going to America, I'm not going to trade to America, and that in turn does affect people trying to learn or people trying to trade. If we're running a business based on service, trade and the ability to go country to country is vital to that.
Speaker 2: It seems like a while back and it really wasn't, but in this current climate, every every day feels like a year that Trump said, hey, listen, we want Greenland, and that kind of fizzled out. We then bomb the hell out of Iran and I lost no sleep knowing that. But the Iola was taken out and granted his son's coming up. He may be injured. Who knows what's happening in Iran. We need a strategy there because we're clearly not getting help from our alleged allies. They don't want any part of this whole thing. We're now talking about taking over Cuba, and there's a lot of lip service, of course, but overall, you know, you got to look at the big picture. In America, we are still the King of the mount It's going to take a while. It could take a lot of effort to knock us off of there because of our GDP and just what we bring to the west of the world. So we've got to keep this in perspective. But there's a real danger here though, right and.
Speaker 3: How it's a ripple effect and the more we demand things, for example, Greenland, et cetera, you're having other countries they can we trust America? Can we deal with America? Is America the lead? How does America say, please don't invade Taiwan. We're discussing this. But in addition trade One of the most successful campaigns I think America did during was when we World War Two. We gave about bubblegum as soldiers and everyone tasted Wrigley in Hershey's and became a brand name. It wasn't as if the product was better nor worse, but the brand was there and everyone wanted to feel American. What happens when that changes. You're seeing it now in Kentucky. Whiskey is going down because people do not want that. That has that ripple effect.
Speaker 5: One interesting saber rattling effects.
Speaker 2: The other yeah, yeah, kind of the inverse is true. I guess you know, back the soldiers coming home from World War Two, they brought like Italian pizza wasn't a thing until they came back from overseas and Italian food took off. I mean just a small example, but you know works both ways. You your culture influences others. Coca Cola took off globally for that that same reason.
Speaker 3: And these products that take off Coca Cola, McDonald's, taco bell.
Speaker 2: Spam is spam and a right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, but are they necessarily the best product? Meaning are you going to eat McDonald's coke and talk about and become the healthiest human in the planet or are we doing it because we want to feel good? And if that feel good is gone or affected, maybe the feeling changes. Maybe you have a negative feeling and you're seeing that Kentucky whiskey that is down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. Well, start with Canada and elsewhere. So the research in the study by the way, Dominic, miuz Erandino, ninety six percent of tariff costs fall on US American consumers. So ninety six cents of every dollar when it comes to these tariffs are falling on the American Consumerly in fourth CeNSE of that dollar, four percent are observed by foreign exporters, and so we're seeing that two hundred billion and customs revenue come back to us, and it's our money to begin with, according to the study. Whether you agree or disagree, I'll go with the research. And it also shows its supply chains are sticky, so you know, we'll just hey, we'll just switch supply. You can't really do what's the real last timeline for first switch and suppliers. I mean, you're in that business dominic. It's from I understand it's damn near impossible.
Speaker 3: It depends on what I know. Some situations are impossible. I know a sunglasses manufacturer that wants the artisans who are based in Italy, so she's like, I can't get them to come over and magically teach those skills to people here in America. That's not gonna work. Other cases, yes, but we go back to that example of coffee. Yeah, that is impossible. You cannot magically make coffee appear and grow in places it can't grow. You're not going to grow coffee in the Midwest, right, not going to happen. So it does depend entirely on the product itself. But the other challenge is one thing relates to the other. So if you're building cars, you might have a factory here where you still need to get the rubber in without growing rubber trees in Ohio. You know, it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And it's kind of a slow slog here, and you hope, like at some point you see a payoff. And of course we demand instant gratification here in the West. That's another part of the problem too. You know when the president on the trail says on day one, I'm going to fix all the stuff, and here it is a year later and it's not you know that that just feeds that instant demand on demand side, whereas a lot of the rest of the world, not all of it, but they are more of a slow plu. I mean you look at the Middle East, right though, China, everything else, it's a long slow boils what it is. That's a whole different mindset, and you know, our on demand society here in America doesn't mesh up with that.
Speaker 3: Well. Keep in mind, we have moved from a regional economy to a global We are used to getting goods that we really should not normally have gotten. If you're sitting in Ohio, you're sitting in the Midwest, you're used to getting product on TIMU in three minutes. But if you think historically, that's not a norm that you would just go online press a button. It was revolutionary when we did this year's Robach catalog fifty years ago and you could ship something over in weeks, and we moved from that to an economy where we're getting it in hours at times. It's a very elaborate system we've gotten used to, and the challenge with that begs we're used to it, what are we as American consumers willing to accept. You know, I'm walking around. If you walk around one's own home and you see simple things chemicals or cleaning products, that is the global economy in which of those products that you see in your home are not based in the middle Not.
Speaker 2: Many, not many. And we'll leave it at that. Dominic. Miss Rendino's the CEO of Retail Tech Media and AXUS Rtmnexus dot com. Uh following everything in the retail sector relative to the terror SOMNA call the best. Thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you amazing, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Bottom line, the costs of everything today is way more expensive and off the charts for a lot of people. I saw this story too. I should have pointed out that a record number of Americans are tapping into their four oh one CA's early and we're carrying a huge amount of credit card debt. At some point, it's got to give. It's got to give h the latest on the war efforts in Iran and what our move is, what's our off ramp. We can't get help from the rest of the Western world. What does this mean? And where do we go from here? It's the big question. We'll get into that afternoons on seven hundred w old World Friday sign I'll tell you this has the potential to be the best trial of all time, all time. So Afroman who did the song, but he is involved in the law. It's a buck wild story between Afroman and an Adam County Sheriff's department, and the jury is about to hear the kick. So back in one was a twenty twenty two. They raid his home much more like a compound. Let's say he's got RVs and cars, and it's amazing how one hits song can't make it that kind of money. But and it's just like you know, Glenside looks like an ordinary type of Adams County farmhouse. Right, So anyway, Afroman is at his house or I don't even know he was there at the time, but there was a suspicion of drug trafficking and kidnapping, and how they came up with those charges beyond me. That's going to come out in court. And so if you've remember seeing the video of this, the entry, right, they have like an m rapp They've got all their tactical gear run and it's like a swat rate. They go in the house and they find instead of finding drug trafficking and a dungeon with kidnapped victims in there, they found a vapepen, a roach, part of a joint, and five thousand dollars cash in the house. And so obviously they did not file charges, but they broke his gate down, the kick in the door, they caused some property damage, ripped some stuff down, and they eventually they were holding on to it and seizing it. But because of the public pressure and the outcry, they returned his five thousand dollars minus four hundred dollars that they allegedly miscounted the money. I thought I was bad at but I'm pretty good accounting money, but math I'm bad at. So he has had surveillance footage and he took that and turned it into music videos and merch, including the song Lemon pomp Cake, which is fantastic. And he was because a rather portly deputy was in the kitchen with gun drawn and he looked and did a second look at a would look like a very delicious lemon pound cake that his mama made was sitting there under glass. He did, who that pundcake looks good. He's gotten like over three million views on social and on YouTube with the video. But there's seven deputies did the raid and detectives, and they sued Afroman because they claimed he used their likenesses without permission to fame them and cause emotional distress. Meanwhile, I mean, you broke in new house under I guess false assumption he got wrong. There was no apology offered for this or and they delayed the restitution. They held out of the money. So he's like, fine, I'm going to take my home video and I'm going to turn it into music music videos using you guys of the foils and one of the deputies, a female, broke down in tears yesterday in court because there was a suggestive music video about her played for the jury. And then after the isis was right before the trial started, he posted new song on so I'm Sorry during the trial. Another one making fun of Sergeant Randy Walters by name and his defense is, look, if they hadn't wrongly raided my house and did what they did, there would be no lawsuit involved. But the best part about it, the ultimate fu is that he is wearing he's in court, he's wearing this American flag suit and he's got American flag glasses like the lenses on the glasses of the American flag, and the suit is an American flag. It's it's incredible. But the best part is wearing that suit. He drops this banger the day before the trial starts.
Speaker 3: Mine.
Speaker 6: I've seen the corruption of the Adam County cops. Still in money's still in take when they make they traffic stops, first they screw you, then they sue you play a game man, dismiss your claims the proof Sondy inner, Ah bro Man, We'll bring it to yeah. Ah bro Man is gonna dude, Yeah, ah bro Man, he's gonna screw yeah my proof Sony innern.
Speaker 3: Myne eyes have seen in form.
Speaker 2: This goes jobs for five minutes, by the way, and it is such an earworm you're not gonna be able to get it out of your head the rest of the day. Trust me, I heard it once and I've been singing it since I proved seven this morning.
Speaker 6: Ah bro Man, we'll bring it to Yeah. Ah bro Man is gone a dude, Yeah, ah bro Man, He's gonna screw yeah my proof sony in.
Speaker 2: I'm most always a pro law enforcement guy, Like it's a tough job. I don't know how you do that. I don't know how you see what you see. That'side of humanity on a daily, hourly, minute by minute, second by second basis, and have it not affect you personally, emotionally, affect your relationships and how you live your It's a and for the money you make and the danger you put yourself in. Ak Larry Henderson, I have the ultimate respect for law enforcem but there are times where clearly they're in the wrong. And I think that's the problem today, whether it's this or politics, is we either either if you're for someone, you can't be critical of them, And I think that's insane. I think that's where we got to where we are today in society. No one admits they're ever wrong. They just double down on the stupid or they go, hey, you know what this I support this person, but we got problems. I'll get to that in a second with the president, But in this case, I look at what data. Dam's kind of going, Okay, you had a warrant, and you know how hard is it to get a warrant. But he's trafficking drugs. He's kidnapping people. And they go in and they found baked goods and some money. I mean, you're allowed to have a vap pen and a joint. He didn't have bundles of weed laying around, you know, like he was traving in. It was like a little bit of drug. He's a rapper, for godsake. You don't think you're gonna find he's a hip hop arts. You don't think you're gonna find some weed. Hell you if you came and raided my house, you'd find more. I don't know, I know about the five thousand dollars, right, Like, if that's a crime. Now what are we doing, let alone the kidnapping charge. But I think it's interesting, you know that the lawsuit itself, because the Adams kind of shafts are suing him, the individuals for because they degraded him. It's like, well, you know, first of all, you were acting in a public capacity, so that opens up and makes it very, very difficult to prove liable and slander. But it's his footage on his property. He didn't hack a serve at the police department. He used his own surveillance cameras that the officers saw in there. And you're allowed to put cameras in your own home, You're allowed to put cameras in the outside of your home pointing to public spots. That's a pretty significant distinction and ownership and consent. You don't need consent for that. On top of that, no charges were ever filed, so I think that undermines any claim that the raid was justified and weakened. See, we were just doing our jobs, narrative you were, because I mean, I don't think you were the one individuals who pulled the warrant. Maybe you got bad intel. And on top of that, courts for a long time. And this is where the president comes in with, you know, Jimmy Kimmel and others. Is, courts are historically given wide latitude to political and social commentary, and mocking a government official or in this case, a raid on your home is about as clear case or protected status as you can get. And they're acting in official capacity. It's not like they were off duty doing stuff. They'd be a little bit different. But deputies executing a warrant aren't private citizens, so that lowers that expectation of privacy even more. In a day and age where cops rightly so have body cameras and dash cameras, and in almost all, not all cases, but almost all of them winds up exact honerating police officers. It helps the cameras in the video helps comps more than it does the defendants. In this case, it's not true. The opposite was true, and he said he publicly created the content to raise money to cover the damages they cause. That's how are you going to beat that up in court with a jury that's sympathetic. It's defensible. Now. Some of the suggestive content, the sexually ones of deputy phelps the female that could kind of hurt him with the suggestive innuendo, and maybe, I don't know, the merchandise sales maybe undermine this too. I suppose now I think of it because there's a commercial component of this. But if you're using the merchandise sales to as a as a crowdsourcing thing to fund your defense, I think a jury look at that and go that makes sense. I mean, it's an interesting case using his own video surveillance to satirize that this this box government raid, but it just makes the whole thing laughable. I don't think jury sits that and sees the context and how he's doing his tongue in chic. I don't think you you know you're gonna throw the book at this guy. I don't know how you could be sympathy not sympathetic towards him. So it's kind of a weak case. And you know what, quite honestly, this is another example of well, you know, the Constitution and your consulship rights and your own protection to your own home. The cops get the warrant wrong and there's got to be a remedy for that, and you pick the wrong guy's house to rate.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: That does happen, that does happen, other stuff going on, So we'll follow that because I think as just it's it's hysterical and anything that's funny, I like funny. Funny is good. Funny is good. All right, So we don't know what to make of this center Republicans and the Save America Act. I think most Americans agree, like, is it really that big an ask to have an idea when you go vote No? I mean we do it in Ohio. It doesn't seem to be a high bardy jumpover. The problem I have, I think is just the two side. And you know the politics. I think we're shutting down the government. You got TSA agents that aren't getting paid. And if you've traveled recently, I don't know people have traveled. We traveled, but just kind of beat this thing out. We got lucky, but what a pain in the ass. And I you know, the thing is people get mad at tsagents and like they're making them do their jobs, are basically forcing them to go to work without getting paid. And now it's past the point of absurdity because this is like the third time we've done this where the ts agents don't get paid and you know, you have bills, you have a car payment, you got a mortgage, you got childcare, you got all these things, and if money's not coming in, you can only live on that so long. It's not like, you know, you're making billions of dollars being a TSA agent and now you have to go to work and you're losing money on the deal. You know, the propriety and fairness here is just it's it's a terrible look. It's a terrible look. And so getting the Save America Acting doesn't seem to be a high hurdle to jump here in the sense that, you know, the GFP insists that the debate allowed them to spotlight election fraud and draw attention to Trump's proposed solutions to this. But you know, this is the one side of that that I don't like is the fact that Okay, I think all of us a great well not all of us, but go, okay, well, what's the big deal offer? Non id We do it all the time. I don't have a problem with that, I guess, And this really doesn't changed things unless you start factoring how much is this going to cost us? Does this cost anything to do this? I'm sure there's some added costs in there. But my point is, you know, we keep spending more money, we don't have this. This is to add another layer to that because quite honestly, the rates of election fraud are extremely low. You know when the Heritage Foundation comes out and they said there's a point zero zero zero zero seven percent of elections have fraud in them. And that's a conservative thing tank. I think we're doing pretty good. Is this a Is this a solution in search of a problem? In many ways it is. But the other side of this thing are the Democratic lawmakers, as expected, voting against it. So they continue to shut down TSA. And you know, we hear about the the mass and clamped down a mail in balloting scam. But in Ohio that's not happening, Kentucky, that's not Indiana's not happening. I can't vouch your other states. But then you address that at the state level. But Democrats are talking about, once again the tired argument about voter suppression. It's voter suppression, said to Fritz Schumer, twenty million, maybe more twenty million people be told when they show up to vote, you're off the rolls. That's the problem. Is that really happening. I don't think it is. I mean, if voting is that important to you, you go out and you get a state ID. You don't need a driver's life. You just need a state ID. It's really not that big an ass quite honestly, you need it in many states. But twenty million people, I mean, come on, the other thing is every time something like this happens, the cry is voterse we're being suppressed. For God's sakes. Man, It's easier to vote today than ever before. Just Ohio, loone. You got thirty days. You can vote from your arm, you can vote on your toilet, you can vote sitting in your car, having your coffee, at the table, wherever you want. It's not hard. One day of voting was much much more difficult than the way it is today. So the screen voter suppression, I need an idea. I mean, you got to be engaged too. I mean, there's got to be some responsibility on the part of the voter. You know, you kind of have to know what day it is. You kind of have to know what month it is. You have to know what's on the ballot. You know, do you want I guess if it's Shumer do you want someone showing up to everyone's home or apartment or condo or trailer or tent or whatever it is and go, hey, here's your ballot. I'm sorry, there's a threshold for a participation here in the threshold is pretty easy to cross. And so this is getting debate and concerns our race. I don't know where it's going to go, but it just continues on and online. And you know, I guess that I look at this thing, and I think most people go, Okay, well, what's the problem here? Ask him for he isn't really that big?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Another? It's the falsehood of election fraud. Republicans love screaming a by election fraud even though it rarely happens, extremely rare that it happens. And when you ask, hey, war is the proof? Well, we saw research that said, I don't know your own think tanks are showing there none, This isn't happening. And on that point, when Trump screams about again, he goes back to twenty twenty being a stolen election. So if that were true, this big consierrat to prevent conspiracy to brandsh him from winning the election. How did you get elected in the first place. How do you get elected twice? It's only the fraud goes away. There's this whole system in place for fraud. Okay, it's all frauded. Well, if that were the case, a Republican would never get elected, right, If it were that widespread, that could change the course of an American election. I don't understand. How do you win the first time? To your to your surprise by the way you he was a look on his face and it's like, oh, did I just win? I didn't see that. It was a bit. I was just goofing, I really do want this job. On Inaugury or when the when the results came in, he gave a speech. He looked like, holy crap, this is for real kind of funny. And so four years of that then it was like, okay, it's not working. Like with Up, we'll try Biden for a while. That was a disaster, and so we're back to Trump again. So I don't know how you go back and they well it's all rigged anyway. Is it only rigged when you lose? Because quite know his personality is he just can't take the l If he gets an l it's somebody else's fault. If it's a dub, he takes credit. That's how it works with him. So there's an election fraud going on, and if it is, it's really, really, really small. It's not changing the outcome of elections at all. On the other side, screaming about how you're disenfranchised because they make you show an ID, which we all have, seems a very weak argument considering you got thirty days to vote. It's very very easy to participate and our electoral process. Asking for ID doesn't stop that. And if you don't have an idea, it's pretty easy to get one.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You do kind of have to show up and do stuff to participate in society, like complaining about high gas prices when you don't have a car. I don't get it, I really really don't. We'll get a news update here in just minutes on seven hundred WLW. Not all this show, certainly not all politics and the like, but we have March Madison full effect. We have Miami playing tonight in the play in game. And so it begins just sitting mindlessly in front of your screen, your streaming device or your TV, or maybe sitting in a bar for the next four straight days just watching college basketball. It's a glorious time to be alive, for sure. And so maybe you're going to do this at home in your TV might be a little janky. Maybe you're thinking about getting a new one. Got a guy for I got a guy. His name is Will Greenwald. He writes for PC magazine, and he said, yeah, maybe you don't need an Maybe you needed all those settings. Do you ever get in your settings thing and the TV? I don't know how many women square around with that, but you know, guys, we're notorious for tinkering with stuff. And there's all these crazy settings in your menu and you look at it and go, I have no idea what any of this stuff does. Well, you're not alone. You're not alone anyway. He'll walk us through that and maybe maximizing that because I think sports when you have a TV, and you know, we're in the Arab big screen TVs maybe on your phone not that big a deal, but if you got a big one on your wall, you're like, man, you know, the action looks a little jumpy. Do you ever see that? Like football? Especially like the football looks like it's out of focus, or there's two or three basketballs on the screen and the guys that they're moving kind of sluggish. There might be a way to fix that. Anyway, we'll join the show next to discuss that coming up, maybe saving a little bit of money and and extending your enjoyment of total mindless relaxation in the form of college basketball with March Madness. Scott Sloan Show continues here home of the Red seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an Amican?
Speaker 3: You got so?
Speaker 1: Do you need a new TV?
Speaker 2: Of course you need a new TV. Everybody is a new TV, just ball one. But I need a new TV because I like stuff. I like gadgets. Maybe you don't. Maybe you don't need a TV if you look at the settings. You ever look at the settings on your TV? You got game mode, you got motion smooth, and you got noise reduction. How you think color temperature is a setting on your wash or don't you? And you don't even know what all those settings do. You don't have a damn clue what any of that stuff does either do what? And this is especially relevant today because we begin March Madness. And so maybe your picture is a little I don't know, it's jumpy, or it looks laggy, or the ball looks really really really bad, looks square or out of focus. I got a guy. I got a guy for you. I got a guy. You need a guy, I got a guy. It's gonna help you out. He is the Home Theater Expert for PC magazine and ISF certified TV Calibrator and a TXH their certified Home Theater Technician. He's Will Greenwald.
Speaker 3: Will.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of titles on a small business card.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 5: Thanks you to be here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of things if you can play with with your TV, and a lot of things you shouldn't touch. Generally, if you see a slider in your TV's menu system, you shouldn't tweak it too much, but there are a lot of things you can do with just like a picture precess, your TV might start at standard or vivid, and that's bad because they make it look overly blue because that's what pops out most, but it's inaccurate. If you just set your TV to movie or cinema, that will generally get it too about as accurate the colors will be without fully calibrating, and you don't want to get into those weeds. So yeah, out of the box, you can actually get pretty accurate colors if you just notice which it's to. These settings will look kind of warm to you at first, but that is the accurate color for any movie or show you're watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, depending on the set, right, there's some things you get in and by the way, before we begin, will because I'm kind of dumb with this stuff. What don't if I see some what don't I want to touch? Tell me where the red button is the apple if you will in the Bible, tell me where that is? So I don't even look at it? What exactly? What do you mean? There's things you don't touch? What is that?
Speaker 5: If you see something like this might sound counter counterintuitive, but if you see brightness, that usually doesn't actually change how bright the TV is. That is actually the black level how the TV measures darks. Gotcha contrast, It is the same thing for light things and for color tint. Don't touch that, you will completely throw off the color. And if you want to get into anything more granular than that, you kind of need training and sometimes fancy equipment. So basically, just stick to the precess picture settings. Usually, if there's a separate backlight setting to make it brighter. That'll help. And if you can turn off the light sensor, it might say adaptive brightness, turn that off, because that'll make your TV look weirdly dim. But otherwise, try to stay clear of anything that has like a number next to it?
Speaker 2: Gotcha? Or it's like are you sure you want to do this? That's always the worry for me. It's like you sure you want to do this? Like yeah, okay, I'm gonna get out of this program. I probably don't want a monkey with that too much? All right, good good news. Don't don't touch the third rail. That's bad. There's something called motion smoothing, and you kind of know this when you watch sports. You know, we just watch the super Bowl, We've got March Madness coming up. Can you walk through why this? This is the feature that you know tells me to turn it off for movies? But what does this do for sports?
Speaker 5: Well, if you've heard of in the Sofa opera fact, it's that weird kind of too smooth view you get when you're watching a show or a movie and the motion movings on it just looks like they're moving weird. You don't want it for that, but for sports What it does is makes certain motion seem smoother and going left and right rapidly, like on a court or a field, that makes things jutter a lot. There's chopping us and motion smoothing will reduce that and it just generally will look better, specifically for sports, but anything else you do want to disable it. It's usually called a true motion or on my LGTV or you know, clear motion. Motion is usually in the title, but it might be something kind of more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you find that setting in you know, on and off depending on what you're watching, but most people just kind of turn their TV on and don't really do anything. When you turn your TV on, your monitor on, do you monk with the settings before watching a particular show or do you have it all.
Speaker 5: Programmed when it turned on. I make sure it's that's two movie myself, because it does get really close and for most things I watch, that's pretty much good. If I am going to watch sports, I'm a huge on it. But if I'm gonna that'll turn on motion smoothing. Otherwise I'm just disable it and have it all do what the source is doing, because that's usually best to my eyes.
Speaker 7: Okay, you can change.
Speaker 5: It to your taste, and even if you if your TV has a sports setting, that will make things bluer.
Speaker 3: Than it should be, but it.
Speaker 5: Might look better to your eyes, and it will probably turn over the motion smoothing so it'll get those settings in a row.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha? Which is important with you know, basketball and the light coming up will There are times you're watching a show where there's like a dark screen with what and you'll see like splotches of I don't know of, like white in there in a movie or something like that. When it's really really dark. What is that? How do I get rid of that?
Speaker 5: It's called light bloom and it's unfortunately kind of a reality to what a lot of TVs do because TVs are not just one panel. There's a panel of liquid crystal which makes the pictures the color, all the pixels, but it doesn't emit life. So there is life behind it. And it might be just a big flat light which it doesn't get dark at all because it all needs to be lit up, or there are a bunch of little zones of lights which can dim and get bright. But there aren't as many zones, not nearly as many as there are pixels, so when an edge between black and white lights up, there's going to be some haze. You don't get this with an OLED TV, and it is reduced with you get a high end mini LEDTV, But otherwise it's kind of just a reality of having an LEDTV.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: It gets really bright, but you're going to have the haze, yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's no way to correct that. And unless you get into a really really expensive model. Now, the more money you have, the less that probably comes properly.
Speaker 5: Right, Like I said, O LED will remove it completely because that's a different technology and it looks really cool. It doesn't get as bright, but it has no light bloom at all because each pixel adjusts this brightness.
Speaker 2: If you are a real cinophile like you, where do you go with you? O? LED and LED many LED, because there's countless ones out there, Which ones best?
Speaker 5: I love OLED in general because its colors are usually fantastic and its life control is great, and it doesn't need to be super bright because modern like good O leads are, they're bright enough to do HDR content, which is that the fancier streaming content justice. So it's great if you do with something really bright, though, if you say you have a room that gets a lot of sun, you might wuldn't get a mini LED that gets super super brighter, And companies like high Sins and TCL are making ones that just put out three four times as much light as any old, and those are great too. You got to deal with the light bloom, but they have their own advantages, and it really depends on also the size and budget because olds are usually much more expensive.
Speaker 2: Will Greenwald is a PC magazine's home theater expert on the show this Morning on seven hundred WLW. People spend on average over eleven hundred dollars a new TV, but they are professional level adjustments. This is the adjustice you can make to your current TV for free, provided say flat screens LED or O LED, because there's a lot of things that you can tweak in there to get what you want. We talked about brightness and color accuracy is another one, like I have no idea, I'm looking at blue. I think it's blue. You see probably an entire palette. Because you're an expert in this thing. When you start to get in the color settings, how do I know if my TV's actually calibrated correctly or if I'm just blind.
Speaker 5: Again. All TVs are kind of they're calibrated to an extent, like they are tuned to look a certain way out of the factory, and you can go further, which if you're getting like a super expensive high end like projector system or one hundred inch TV, and I want to get a professionally calibrated but otherwise, according to my test, the cinema or movie or isf imax, they usually like a fancy movie related to name, those picture modes get admirably close to accurate, and you could tweak it further, but at that point you don't really want to. It's just set us to that mode. It's going to look about as good as you can. I actually have a list of all these different tips you can do that will improve the look of your TV on PC meg. If you search for TV tips, you'll see my name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Will greenwaald Oft PC mag. There you go. You can check that out online. Love you guys. All right, So we've talked about brightness and color acture. What about HDMI? Basically, you know it's great, you plug it in, you get sound, you get video. Is there anything I can do in that chain to improve my picture? Or sound.
Speaker 5: You can make sure you have a good HDMI certified cable. There are a couple of different tiers and it sort of starts at high speed and it gets like premium high speed, and what you want to do is just make sure it says generally, I think premium high speed is what's going to be the best four k HDR content. Maybe have like a cheaper older HDMI cable. You might not be getting enough. You might not be sending as much data through as it needs to. You want at least eighteen GDPs, which we'll say on the package if it is a legitimate cable, or if if you're buying it from a legitimate source. And you can actually get them pretty cheap, I recommend don't buy them in big box stores. Order them online from a pan full of different places. It doesn't need to be Amazon, but there are you can get cheaper good HDMI cables online.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting too, because you know, you see these cables that are three thousand dollars because they're you know, gold, virgin gold and twenty four care gold, and I'm like, do I really need that? Do I really need that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Do I need it?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not? Especially for HDDMI, because it's digital. It's only a question of is the data going through? Audio files can make that. They can argue till the end of the day about headphone wires and speaker wires because those are analog connections. But HDMI and pretty much anything going into your TV it's digital, So gold or anything that's going to undrty the signal or whatever. You know, your typical blue shirt in the store is going to tell you it's going to do. Doesn't matter to HDMI. What matters is how much data is going through, and that's going to be on the page.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the size of the pipe that what the initial pipe is made out of? Good information there. You're an ISF certified TV calibrator and TXH certified Home theater technician. You go into somebody's house, you look at their TV. What is the most common problem you see that's completely ruining their picture quality? And question two is the audio quality?
Speaker 5: Picture quality? If it is set to standard or vivid, that's just throwing everything off, got it. Sometimes the adaptive rightness the white sensor might still be set all though there might be some ECO settings that you want to disable because that's going to dim the picture. Those are the main things. Sometimes there also is the display oriented the display perspective what's usually called zoom on a TV. It might be off, so you're going to see some of the pictures squished or clipped, and you want to set that to just again or direct, just basically pixel the pics on instead of trying to get it within a weird shape, because that's what's going to make the picture look weird in terms of perspective.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: Audio wise, you're only going to get so much down out.
Speaker 3: Of your TV.
Speaker 5: Typically, TV speakers usually aren't great higher end TVs they do have, they can't have excellent speakers. Many of the highest senses higher end TV is like the UAQG and those higher end ones, the whole spatial audio speaker systems built all through them, so like they build a wall of sound around you. But most of them, you're probably want to get a sound bar if you can, because the soundbar and a subwarfare is going to really beef up to that audio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, like Samsung gets really really high ratings for that in TVs as well. If you're looking for one particular brand now, now normally you go to your you know, the place where the blue shirts are or your big box retail or Costco is a great one. And I'm like, okay, I think I need a new TV. But before you do that and go, hey, maybe it's the settings and I try that, So what are could you tell me like a lot of the warning signs that your TV may actually be failing versus just needed better settings.
Speaker 5: If it's seeming significantly there. TVs only have like a certain amount of life. They can last a very long time, but sometimes they can just start to die, and that can usually happen in the back light, so that just the life will start to fade, which is kind of what happened on my last TV. Actually, a weird one happened with my other kV that the color started to get weird, that only blue started to get dim which led to some very weird things that like I talked to other experts in the field and there as confused as I am about how that happened. But basically, if the picture starts to look weird and you can't go into the settings and you know, make it look right, that might be assigned that the panel.
Speaker 7: Is starting to age.
Speaker 5: But hopefully it won't happen for at least like three, four or five years. Ideally a TV should last at least a decade. But I mean, who can help at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the technico chiefs come. Now you feel like you need you know, three d's coming. I remember the glasses. I had one of those. I don't think I ever used it, but it came with the tyros, all right, And there's always some new trend out there that's going to want to get that. Then that's how market It's largely marketing though, right.
Speaker 5: Kind of there is a lot of I want see desperation, but they want to find an angle to basically say, you know, eight four K settled. HDR is pretty much settled, So how do we get people to buy these new TVs? And they try to find a new angle. Stuff is very promising. There are these micro RGB or RGB l ed TVs that are coming out that are really impressive so far. They're very expensive, very big, but there's a lot of promising technology there. But for things like three D, no and HK. Any if you're worried at all about TV is getting sharper and EIGHTK happening, I actually just put up a story last week explaining why that is not happening. LG just stopped making aktvs. That leaves only Samsung and basically that is not a factor at all in the foreseeable future. So don't worry about needing to upgrade from four K to AK. That isn't happening as far as I can see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thaing is you need programming that's actually worked.
Speaker 5: Yep, you know, not no programming. There's no format right right, so like treating service or disc it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the time they roll it out, I probably change with the standard as anyway, So maybe that TV is rendered obsolete before you even bought it.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: But so if you're going to hold out and say, well I just got to known in the last couple of years, I can wait to go five six, what's the next thing on horizon, You're like, okay, let's let's wait for that. Is it what you're talking about with the RGB LEDs.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the RGB LEDs because you I said, there's an LGB panel and likes behind it. RGB TVs have red, green, and blue lights instead of just white or just blue that they're going into the weeds. But they can change just red or just green or just blue, getting brighter and dimmer to make the color go wider, not just to improve the contract. Gotcha, and the what I've seen so far in my initial test, I've only completely tested one TV, but I've taken a close look at several that is a lot of There's a lot of potential for much brighter, much much wider color ranges than what we can currently get with TVs.
Speaker 2: If you had unlimited money, will and maybe you have unlimited money, I don't know, you've you seem very very good at what you do. I do not if you have a limited in my semi stupid money, well, the best possible system, the best possible TV you can buy right now is what and how much does it cost?
Speaker 5: At this point, I would have to say either high Censer's latest RGB TV I think it is the current one sixteen UX or Samsung's Micro RGB TV. They're basically they're kind of very similar TVs. They make very similar claims that they can cover this extremely wide color space, and in my testing I believe it at this point, but they'll have to confrom it. But they're also like twenty to thirty grand and one hundred and sixteen to one hundred and fifteen hundred and sixteen inches, so we will get in my apartments.
Speaker 2: Damn yeah, one egs or a TV. You better like TV to be watching that, so you better be like a movie reviewer. So mister Rotten Tomatoes would have a TV that big or mister Bach Yeah, yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 5: So that's good sound system?
Speaker 2: Yeah you have to. You also have the turntable that needs its own room. The turntable it's its own house, that sound isolated. That's you're getting crazy about that stuff. Any more. Affordable category with TVs? Would you go with? Samsung comes up a lot, By the way, I think, are you big? Samsung?
Speaker 5: Samsin is very good engineering. I don't really like their smart TV menu interface. It's sort of my least favorite, but in terms of the hard way they make it is pretty fantastic. They're also usually pretty expensive. Companies like High Central TCL usually are sort of better bang for your buck.
Speaker 3: In terms of budget TV.
Speaker 5: It's specifically my favorite so far, at least for the year at the moment, is the U six QS High Senses budget TV. You can get around sixty five inches for maybe six hundred dollars and it gets.
Speaker 7: Quite right for that price.
Speaker 5: It's colors are excellent, and it's pretty full featured.
Speaker 2: It's unreal. I was looking at I don't know, I saw some old maybe it's a newspaper or something around there's an ad for TV and I was like, I don't know, nineteen seventy, late seventies, and wow, say here's a Stare twenty one inch color TV for like six hundred dollars. And I'm looking at us, going that was ninet seventy nine. I can get a one hundred inch TV for probably less than double that price.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably, I mean maybe a little bit more, but like less than too grant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's insane. How how the cost of electronics it's and that's why they're disposable now for that reason. You know, that was high tech twenty one inches and five six hundred dollars for TV, and now you can get a one hundred inch TV for fifteen hundred dollars whatever it is. It's amazing. And there's all these new brands out there, TCL and high Sense that people look at, go, well, that's not Sony or Samsung. I'm people get uncomfortable with that. Should you really care that much about the brand name?
Speaker 5: You can if you've never heard of it, maybe because obviously there are a lot of sort of store brands and like you know, little men, you might have never heard of it, and they might just be cases of drunk if they seem a lot cheaper than even High Centered TCL. Yes, but both High Center TV TCL have solidly established themselves as you know, pretty high quality, high value brands if you're looking to now spend a ton of money on a TV, if they have good performers, which is, you know, more than I can say for a lot of cheaper, no name brands that you know, if you get a you know, there's little ones that you might see on sale in the back of a store. Those ones might be joke, gotcha.
Speaker 2: He's Will Greenwall writing or a PC magazine. He's our home theater expert. Everything you need to know whether you need to buy that new TV or not, or just tinker with the settings inside. Some useful information there. This will be podcasting after the show. If you just catching like the end of it, go I missed it, Go to the iHeartRadio app and podcast. So well, all the best buddy. Thanks again, I appreciate.
Speaker 5: You, thanks for having me have a good day.
Speaker 2: I hope you got some useful information out of that. If I'm gonna keep your TV, maybe you can tweak some of those settings before Miami plays today March Madness, because that TV gonna get worn out this weekend for real Scott Slan Show with News in just minutes and Julie Balki stands by Julie on the job. Guess who's getting fired in big numbers? Jen Zers? Why she shares Julie on the job is next after news on seven hundred WI.
Speaker 8: Them helping you navigate the rocky path a fulfilling employee. Here's our career, sir, Julie Balki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a rocky road. It's kiashi. So this is an interesting new trend. They got the diploma and then they get a job, and then they get the spink lip something like six and ten bosses now say they've already fired their gen z hires and someone hire new grads at all next year. Why is that, Julie Balki, our career shirp on the Scott Sloan Show. It's it's agism, is what it is, isn't it, Julie, Because old people don't like these young young bucks coming up. That's what it is all about. Agism.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 7: So here's the thing, all right.
Speaker 9: So we talked last week about the unemployment rate of college grads being similar to the I mean gen Z college grads being very similar to the unemployment rate of gen Z without college degrees. And it's interesting when you really dig into that and say, Okay, what, why why? Like what are employers saying is the reason behind this? And there's some really interesting stats in this Fortune article, fifty leaders fight lack of motivation lack of initiative as the reason why things didn't work out with their new hire. Bosses also pointed to gen Z being unprofessional, unorganized, and having poor communication skills as their top reason late to work, late.
Speaker 7: To meetings, not wearing office appropriate.
Speaker 9: Clothing, and using language appropriate for the workspace. So you know this always when you read this, I mean, I can tell you why. I mean, I can tell you the collection of factors that have led to this, but then the question, and that's all you know. We can we can clutch our prolls and bring our hands over that. But what is it, Whose responsibility is it? Because this can't this can't continue. I mean, this can't. This is going to especially with AI coming on the scene to replace a lot of those more entry level jobs. This is this is a problem that's going to keep getting worse.
Speaker 7: So it's a more two prong problem.
Speaker 9: And so therefore it's likely a multi prom solution.
Speaker 2: All right, let's pump the brakes a little bit. What you just told me, Julie Balki. Is this a gen Z problem specifically or isn't this just what we go through with every new generation enter in the workforce. Is this that much different?
Speaker 9: It is that much different. You know, the gap even when you look at the gap between at if you take a look at and I know this is a broad generalization, but the generation's general attitude toward work. Take a look at Boomers, who are the oldest ones still in the job market and gen Z the youngest. That gap is it's it is a yawning canyon of a gap. Now when you look at then when you take the difference between boomers and millennials, which is the generation just older than gen Z.
Speaker 7: So even your thirty year olds twenty nine thirty.
Speaker 9: Year olds or millennials, that is much less of a gap. And even millennials are saying, because I've spoken to several, are saying, yeah, I don't I don't quite get this generation right behind me. So these aren't necessarily just old krusty boomers like you like me, and old krusty gen z like you saying that Gen X, it's really there is such a difference, and it's not just your typical young people are going to ruin the world. My generation was the last one that knew how to work. It's beyond that, Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, I see what's going on, and you know, I also understand the lens that gen Z looks through things at and they live through some tough well maybe not so tough economic times, I suppose, but I think maybe they saw their parents work, saw that maybe their grandparents work hard. Now for examples, as a Gen xer, I look at boomers and I can't figure out, like, Okay, you guys want to work till you're eighty years old. There's a I think when a Trump's cabinet people, he's developed cancer and he's going to continue working until the day he falls over dead. Like I think younger people look at it go, well, okay, so your whole existence is just your job and your career. And that's always been a knock on moomers, right. They just won't let go, they won't turn the reins over. They and and this is why we see that problem in the workforce when they say things they think is appropriate that are inappropriate. It's because the bulk of the workforce is younger, and they have a different set of values and standards and morals and those those kind of things don't translate very well while you look out of touch. So I think it's a confluence of a living longer and younger generations coming in. I'm not discounting that their work ethic is not good. What I'm saying is in the context is look how they grew up, and what they see is like, Okay, you're just living to work that. I don't want to do that. That's why they travel. You know, they'll they'll do month long trips so they don't have any money, or they'll take their money. Go Okay, I'm taking a month off to go around Europe when I'm still young. It's just a different value proposition.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 9: It absolutely is and the I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday who's spouse just retired, and he is really he's sixty five, and he's really flailing because he's looking to how do I reboot my identity. It's hard to go from being a hard charging, career focused, even moderately successful person to losing that. I mean, look at look at our congress people. Just as you said, it's funny, isn't it. I was just reading this thing that said, you know, we've got I see constantly people fifties and sixties complaining about agism and trying to get hired. And I absolutely know that it is true. Yet the people running these congress people seventies, eighties, nineties that are still running for reelection. And so it's this, it's it's it comes down to how however strong. The stronger you, the more strongly you identify with your career as you're shining beacon of your life, the harder it is for you to walk away and re establish an identity as something else, especially if there were perks that came with that identity, walking into.
Speaker 7: A restaurant in Washington, DC.
Speaker 9: Having people cater to you, having you know, I mean getting your phone calls returned immediately. It is a long fall from the top. And so some boomers are because the way we were raised was mostly focusing on career identity, it is harder for us to give it up. But there's also a piece of the boomer population that can't quit because of the financials. And so I understand, right, I don't want to downplay that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mentioned the value proposition and you you're not wrong. I'm not saying that. Well, you should just accept that's how gen z ers are. They have to do. The adaption here is because you are getting a paycheck for work, and what's considered work is showing up on time all the time, dressing appropriately, using suitable business place language, being organized, being proactive. All those things and more factor in. That's what's expecting the job. How did we then, as parents, because this is not the all of these damn kids now, it's damn parents who set that expectation by our so low. How do we f this up so much?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you can't. Everybody complaining it's like, well, well, who raised them?
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 9: It was a combination of things. It was certainly the participation trophy style of parenting. It was the massive helicopter parenting that our kids never It was the you have to get into the best school possible. So because that seeds my ego, so I'm not going to require you to work. You just keep taking ap classes. And so we shielded them from responsibility in the real world. If you work at Chipotle and you keep showing up late or dressing inappropriately, you aren't going to keep that job. And even if those things happened a lot of times with this generation, Mom marked straight into Chipotle and let them have a piece of their mind for letting her precious angel go. And it's I see remnants of this still today and it's so we are we It makes us feel good in the moment to move those barriers out of the way, but you are hurting your child long term because the world isn't going to think.
Speaker 7: They're so precious and special like you did.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 9: Saw this video was this young woman showing different work loooks, like work appropriate looks for women in the corporate world, and I was watching it and I was horrified. I'm like, no, no, that's not appropriate. But I also recognized them, like, wait a minute, is this just my boomerness.
Speaker 7: YEA saying that's not appropriates.
Speaker 9: I had to kind of walk back and say, is it, And for the most part it wasn't. It was more about knowing the difference between showing up for a night with friends and showing up in a workplace where you are being assessed by first impressions are so important. I always try to do that check. But sometimes it's like, no, showing up on time is not for a meeting, is simply respect for other people's calendars, other people's times, and that is not going away. That is, we're never moving to a place where people show up anytime they want for a meeting between nine and ten. That's not happening. So there's certain things that remain true over time, and that's what we're not being taught or embraced or.
Speaker 7: And so yeah.
Speaker 9: So on the other hand, we've got just looking at a stat that said the number of people who are the number of people who are starting their own thing, who've opted out of the corporate America and or starting their own thing is going back to to two thousand and one, right after nine to eleven, two thousand and eight, twenty twenty. Numbers that were I can't get a job. So it's partially back then in those three times, it was I can't get a traditional job. Now those numbers are up again, but the reasons behind it are different. Oh yeah, I tried the corporate thing. It doesn't work for me, and I get it. Believe me, any of us have been in corporate. We get it. But now they have more options than they did before, true.
Speaker 2: To go out on their own. She's our career short. But Julie Bouki, who's an angry, angry old boomer woman who's just screaming at clouds this morning, it's it's awful. What's the single biggest gap you see when college? Well, let me back up a second. When when the boss is say, lack of initiative, what does that look like in the workplace? Does that mean it.
Speaker 9: Means sitting around and waiting to be told to do so? I have heard anecdotes after anecdote that said, as well, I left three because I was a dumman with everything that was on my desk. I finished the work you gave me, so why wouldn't I leave? And just that that just makes your head explode when you think about it versus saying how can I how can I show up? How can I do things that are going to make me stand out? And I loved this particular quote that I think is just so powerful about the importance of I'm trying to find it here. Some leaders have even insisted that it can do. Attitude at work will advance young workers' careers more than a college degree, and I absolutely agree with that.
Speaker 7: I think we've put so much.
Speaker 9: Emphasis on the paper, but we've all worked with people with really impressive paper who couldn't manage their way or work their way out of a paper bag. And so initiative attitude shall and up on time, willingness to learn, and some of those really basic things really are the things.
Speaker 7: That make you stand out, and.
Speaker 9: That that's never going away, and so how do we fix it?
Speaker 7: Whose responsibility is that?
Speaker 9: There's a lot of questions here, but eventually that a you know, a bottom line. If you are an adult in the workplace, you have to figure this out.
Speaker 7: You have to.
Speaker 9: Yes, you were your circumstances maybe weren't ideal with maybe the way you were raised or the way COVID has been, but take a look around, you read the room. What are successful people doing and then do more of that. It's it's that's the stuff that I don't care what kind of a degree you have.
Speaker 5: It's not that hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if that is that a coachable skill or personality. I don't know how you How do you teach initiative? You can't. Colleges aren't teaching initiative. They're not they're not teaching attitude.
Speaker 9: No, but you can by the way that you if you show up and your your you say, Okay, I'm going to absorb whatever I can in this workplace. I'm going to absorb the way the most successful people operate. I'm going to absorb the way that people run meetings.
Speaker 7: It seems to be productive. I'm going to absorb the people that.
Speaker 9: Have the most respect. How do they operate? And so you if you are a great student at your university or your high school, now it's up to you to be a student of the workplace.
Speaker 7: What does success look like?
Speaker 9: And walk in knowing that you may be smarter on some things than the vast majority of your coworkers, but you're not smarter on the stuff that's going to get you ahead.
Speaker 7: You're just not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's the element. I think communication is huge, right, the interpersonal communication that's lost on this generation because there are digital natives and on the second digital native generation. So in twenty twenty six, when so much work happens over text and slack and email, it's all digital, right, what interpersonal in that is sitting on and talking and looking at the person on having a conversation difficult for gen zers to do because they're not use to it. That's not how they communicate. That's another skill set that has to be learned. That's really hard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And.
Speaker 10: Here's a way.
Speaker 9: And I think people we get really caught up in oh my gosh, I have to know the right thing to say. I have to be all these things. Do you know what? You have to be curious and interested when you meet someone, become curious about their experience. How long have you worked here? What kind of roles have you held? What do you like about working here? Tell me about your career, Tell me about how you spend your spare time. Asking having a few good questions in your pocket is really the secret sauce to getting information, to getting any conversation off and running. And so then they answer it. Then they ask you a question and oh my gosh, before you know it, just having a conversation.
Speaker 2: How about that? How about about that my baby's walking. Do you think that employers will down the line that they're going to pull back from new grads? And what does that mean for that generation? What does that mean for the workforce.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's it's really scary. There are universities, there are even high schools in Europe that are starting to teach that because it's a worldwide sort of thing and this isn't just us and so, but it has to start at home. It has to start with sitting or you know, doing the things that force your child out of their comfort zone, making them be out and be useful, as we talked about last week.
Speaker 7: And so it has to start there.
Speaker 9: You can't say, well, I raise, you're eighteen, Now go to college. They'll teach you everything else you need to know. You're putting your sending a lamb to slaughter at that point, because they're entering the workforce thinking that because they're so special, that everyone is going to cater to them. Well, they quickly learn that they don't, and then it's hard to hard to recover from that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So yeah, if you put yourself, start putting yourself in situations and maybe aren't comfortable just take baby staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's got to be done if you want to participate in the work force. She's Julie Boukie, our career expert in Shirpa here on the Scottslan Show Deebouki group dot com b a uk is how you spell that she's a career coach, consultant, has old team or I did to work for you and uh, maybe if you have a gen z here in your life, maybe whip them in the shape here in a fashion. So, uh, Jill's all the best, Grab a great week. We will chat again next Wednesday. Yes, indeed we will all right, peace, see you later. News on the way in just minutes here Tulsea Gabber, director National Tubs is getting grilled on Capitol Hill right now about threats, foreign threats to midterm elections and more full details and news plus traffic weather just ahead on seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: You want to be in America?
Speaker 2: Plon me back seven hundred WLW. So have you knew this about our great state here in Ohio? We are not just the birthplace of aviation. I believe that because it says that right on your license plate.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's also one of the top spots for aerospace, aviation and defense. We are the number one supplier, the number one supplier highways to both Airbus and Boeing, with more than one hundred and ten thousand employees in the industry, six hundred companies in Ohio, and we right now you think, wow, we're pretty saturated. We can't train enough people to fill those jobs. And the future is looking really, really bright for a lot of these trades within aerospace. And so I'm sure you've heard about this. At Middletown Regional Airport, Butler Tech just open a brand new, state of the art, fifteen million dollar aviation center and this is for high school students and it's underway right now. The ribbon has been cut and in studios Williams Sprinkles, he's the superintendent in CEO of Butler Tech. Welcome to the studio, William. Congratulations by the way on the ribbon cutting. Thank you for that, Sarah. Thank you for having us, of course, and I think the biggest question to have for you, sir, is do you get to keep the giant scissors? What happens to the giant scissors you cut the ribbon with.
Speaker 11: You know, the giant scissors didn't work at the ribbon cutting, Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: We had to have a pair of micro scissors.
Speaker 11: You had a backup scissors shadowed underneath the giant scissors. The giant scissors the blade was too dull and didn't work. And so I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We had some nail clippers and some micro scissors. That's not acceptable. It works, it works perfect. You're the CEO heads need to roll for this? Would you agree?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 2: But in the world of career tech, we made it work. Okay, you made it happen. You think on the fly we always let's collect. I love it. People think, hey, aviation industry, everyone wants to be a pilot. That's not true, because you have maintenance, you have avionics, you have manufacturing, you have all these things. And and also we now have flying taxis that are being built in date, and I believe if I'm not mistaken, So that's a whole other sector, a whole nother evolution and layer of aerospace. We think aerospace, oh, ge, but there's so many more companies there, I'm sure, Ge. Is it has a hand in what the programming is that you do at Butler Tech william But other companies involved are what like, how many other companies have a set and like, hey, here's here's we want to be job ready, this is a workforce development thing. How many companies have a seat at the table? Sure?
Speaker 11: At our ribbon cutting we acknowledged at least twelve companies that are from the region. Companies like CTL Aerospace Standard ERA, which are more in the manufacturing and the aero defense side. There's other smaller companies that are local A ANDP mechanics shop, companies that sit on the that sit on the Middletown runway, and so companies whether they're small in size or large in corporate status. We try our best to welcome all of them and have a seat at the table and provide influence in the shape and the design of the curriculum and the experience that the students get.
Speaker 2: Now, I often talk about this on my show. Here you beat a trades guy myself and you were identifying with the year. Hell you're a doctor now, so doctor Sprinkles. They were both like tactile learners, right we you know in school, we I was like I'm looking at a book. I like, I don't get THEE for it. But you you put something applied in front of someone, all of a sudden, the light bulb goes off. We have done for the last couple of generations, at least the poor job of that. How much are we writing the ship now? It's starting, it's starting to come back to center a little bit.
Speaker 11: I think many people would argue for career tech centers, we've already righted that shit, and it's important to name that because this idea that career tech centers were only for one type of student or a particular type of learner is outdated. In Butler Tech's case, we serve eighteen thousand students a day between the grades seven and twelve, and we serve an additional twenty two to twenty three thousand learners a year in our adult education division. So in the grand scheme of one calendar year, we're going to serve over forty thousand people are going to access cared tech education from a Butler Tech location. That's cool, class or even a weekend credentialing program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was a kid, and you know, we have barely had shopped class and I was so into that. I loved it, and they took it away and basically said, well, if you want to do that, you've got to go this whole Shepherd school for the kids who are troublemakers, because the students go here and the dummies go there. And thank god, we finally blew that up right. Yeah, so you're correct.
Speaker 11: In particular, in the late eighties and the early nineties, there's a lot of research about a particular type of family, a particular type of student. Those students were forced, persuaded, or channeled to career tech centers. And I'm proud to say now in really the last ten years at Butler Tech, but even today in twenty twenty six, we represent every single possibility for a student and a family. If you want to go right to the workforce, we have a program for that. If you want to go to a two year school, we have a program that'll kickstart you and get you ahead and lower the cost of that to your journey. And if you want to eventually go to a four year school or even your doctorate program, we have pathways that lead to those experiences. Things such as biomedical engineering and our Bioscience Center. We have something for everybody that leads to a high level education, a hands on education and hopefully it keeps families and students out of debt and poverty free.
Speaker 2: And these are our skills the are in demand because now you're partnering with the companies that so it's a great pipeline. They're trained up. And you hear that for college, the college path traditional for year university that young people will graduate, they'll come and they have no job skills whatsoever. Like they have this degree but no job skills. You guys are teaching not only the craft, but also how to develop that you know, how to get in that situation, I guess is what I'm trying to say, and be actually just work from day one. They don't have to retrain you like they do with a college degree. Yeah, so I appreciate that framing.
Speaker 11: Our belief is that young people need to have the actual hands on skills and the actual processes of how to operate machines and equipment and the credentials to make them successful in the workforce. We also believe our young people at butter A Tech have an opportunity to have the business acumen to not only be the person that works on the shop floor. But if they eventually aspire to want to be the CEO of the factory, they have that opportunity and we give them those skill sets to start moving in that direction and can start their career.
Speaker 2: The young people I mentor in the trades and trying to get them situation and which which type of trade with electrician, plumber, hi, whatever it is, aviation. It's like, listen, you know you're smart enough to do this, okay, and go to school, but also keep an eye on how the business runs, because the goal some days to get you to own your own company. And that's true not for everybody, but for a lot of these kids. You're like, wow, I can do this, and I learned so much that I want to go and do it my way now and hire people and become the next generation of entrepreneurs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of social media footage right now about one particular type of entrepreneur that's going to emerge because of the conflict with artificial intelligence is electricians. Electricians are going to be triple their worth and triple their value the cost that you're going to be able to charge and to make and to create profit share by being in a high skilled electrician is not something that artificial intelligence is going to take over that trade of soon.
Speaker 2: Anyways, my nephew moved here from out West and he's like, I just want to work. I want to get a job and I want to go to school. He said, what should I do? And I will consider trades. I mentioned aviation, he goes. He goes, well, which one has the most gross said hands down, electrician because of data farms, because of the infrastructures, Like you're going to have a job for the rest of your life and beyond. You may be working from the grave if you want to, but you're gonna make great money and you're gonna meet and demand do that because we need electrical workers more more than anything. William Sprinkles is the superintendent c Butler Tech. They just up at a fifteen million at state of the art Aviation Center of Middletown Airport and it's workforce development we're talking about. Ohio is the number one supplier to Airbus and Boeing and there's one hundred and ten thousand jobs and it's growing here in OHI. If you're looking to get in a professions here on for a long time, we have despite what you see with TSA lines and everything else in that nightmare, and maybe that goes to show you need more workers. But air travel and cargo with on demand is getting bigger and bigger and bigger. If you thought it was already big, it's going to get much bigger. The projection is maybe even triple in just a number of years where we are right now. That's kind of hard to believe. But you need the bodies in there too. And you hear about AI automation coming for jobs that doesn't apply here, does it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: It It does.
Speaker 11: Many of the trade pathways. Here's the thinking. If you think that you are going to be replaced by a robot, you probably are. You have to be willing to work with the emerging technology and work with robots. So there's a lot of technical pathways that are working with cobots. There's a lot of technical pathways that have to learn how to navigate the prompt engineering to embed AI inside of the pathways. It's not something that AI is exclusive from being invasive of those pathways. We're pushing all of our students, all of our teachers, all of our staff to embrace artificial intelligence and make sure that they're on the cutting edge of what's happening in those particular trades, industries and local pipelines. Yeah, because it's not something you can fight at this point. If you're not embracing it and working alongside it, it's going to be a competitor for you eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know you're right, there's going to be displacement. But I'm wondering, you know, if you're an AVIA, if you're a mechanic, for example, AI is not gonna it may it may augment your job. That may change some things as being a force multiplier for you, but you still have to get in and fix that engine or that part. AI is not in a robots and can be able to do that because you have to have the critical thinking which may be augmented by AI, but you still have to do it with your hands as opposed to a robot. So I think those job. But I wonder about pilots. You know, we know there's a massive pilot shortage right now. When you can't get enough pilots, do we start to see is autonomous airplanes a thing that's going to happen.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of companies that are investing billions of dollars into the regional economy here in the Greater Cincinnati great and Dating great in ed Area, great in Dayton areas, Greater Dating areas such as such as Jobie that specialize in the vertical lift and take off.
Speaker 2: Is that the air taxis I was talking about. It is the air taxies. So those are still being piloted.
Speaker 11: They're what we're seeing right now in industry is they're making a shift from delivering goods and content and packages that are in particular weights to figuring out the volume of how many people that they can transport. And then you have to figure out how the airspace is regulated for the particular size of those particular aircrafts and how they work in airspace.
Speaker 2: And that's a whole nother a. I see AI managing air traffic too, air traffic controllers, it's gonna be AI. It's gonna be a while before one of us goes, yeah, I'm gonna get on this plane with no pilot. It's that's gonna take a minute. That's gonna take him in.
Speaker 11: Well, there's already the autonomous cars that are predominantly in the larger metropolitan areas.
Speaker 2: They're they're out west in Phoenix. When I was in Phoenix for.
Speaker 11: A conference, they're out west and it's crazy, right, and you they're fully autonomous.
Speaker 2: Yep, no driver in them. It's not that far off. Yeah, it's not. It's just again, the early adopters will be like, I may try this if I'm adventurous, but I can see how people get nervous about that. But in the future, in you know, twenty thirty, forty fifty years, it'll just be ah, this is what we do. We have pilot list. We don't need potles. It'll look like the Jetsons, correct, and we're headed that way. What is your completion rate and also place rate for new grads? Now, granted you just opened the center right now, but I'm sure you have a target. But what's your success been. We have two answers for that. Our graduation rate at bull Attech for the last ten years is nine.
Speaker 11: Nine percent. Some years it's one hundred. The lowest it's been is ninety nine. The students that complete our secondary Pathway, which is the equivalent of a high school diploma, those students were graduating ninety nine percent of our students and shout outs to not only our staff, but all of the partner schools that have partner based relationships that feed into Butler Tech. That's important to acknowledge our relationship with them. And on the adult education side, our placement rate is ninety percent for adult learners of every single ethnic group that we have, So that means white students, Black students, Asian students, Hispanic, Hispanic Latino students, multi racial students.
Speaker 2: Ninety percent of students from any.
Speaker 11: Subgroup that's incredible get placed into a job of the of the pathway, of the credential that they acquired within six months.
Speaker 2: That goes to show you just how successful and why this fifteen million dollar plant is needed. So on that, I know, the median wage for someone in the aerospace industries like right around six figures, right, one hundred thousand dollars. People leaving with that degree leaving Butler Tech, what are they earning.
Speaker 11: Students are not leaving Butler Tech with a degree after their high school experience. What they are leaving with is a series of high level credentials that are accepted and embraced within the industry in multiple different subpathways. So at our Aerospace Center, students will filter through one of three pathways. There is the aerospace pathway, which many students will lead right into college. That's a four year pathway. Students matriculate to four year universities if they want to focus on aerospace, or many of those students will head into manufacturing careers that work for Department of Defense and other types of industries like that. There are students that will be the mechanics, which is the AMP the airframe and power plant mechanic pathway. That particular industry has thousands of jobs within a two hour radius of the Greater Cincinnati area. And then the third pathway, students will have the opportunity to earn various different credentials for their private pilot license. Their private pilot license can be for their personal aircraft, can lead to the ability to fly a corporate aircraft, and it can also lead to your drone license, which is huge in various different sub industries right now, such as defense, construction, real estate construction, and that list goes on and on and on, and of course industries like yourself in the media industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's fascinating. So you're pretty much guaranteed a job, you know, and not only that, the success rate is so high it's a no brainer. I think it may be for somebody who's going, wow, am I going to get laid off? I've got laid off again? Maybe you want to pivot career wise. The adult education program is wonderful. It is the brand new Butler Tech Aviation Center at Middletown Regional Airport. Williams. Sprinkle, Superintendent and CEO Butler Tech, thanks for popping in today. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 11: And what would be important to all so acknowledge is we have a ribbon cutting for our brand new bioscience center in one month on April thirteenth, which is strictly about the forecast of jobs in this market for healthcare, which is one of the most booming in demand fields this state.
Speaker 2: Has gonna bring the good scissors this time for that one. We're gonna bring the good scissors. Don't you can do it once and screw it up. Yeah, I can't have it twice though, You're gonna have to. We're gonna bring the great were the ribbons, practice ribbon practice scissors. Let's just put a little work in spring. We got it, We we got it. Appreciate you. Thanks for things all right, thanks again, got to get the news update in here momentarily sloany seven hundred w since night.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, I smell Ham.
Speaker 2: You smell Ham.
Speaker 12: I smell Ham Winter Winter pig dinner.
Speaker 2: It's a snot reports sare at least jump sent from the kid CHRISHO on one O two seven EBN. It's sports, it's gossip, it's internet stuff and it's laughing through her nose. Good morning, how are you?
Speaker 12: Good morning?
Speaker 10: Thank you to Ricoccino for filling in last week. I was about in the desert.
Speaker 2: With your girl and boy.
Speaker 10: Trip with the girls slash one boy on the trip. Yes, we were out in Goodyear Arizona, ate a lot of things out of helmets, drank out of beer, bats, soaked up all the sun, and saw some good baseball. So Ken confirmed that Matt McLean is red hot. Right now, you have a good time.
Speaker 12: It was excellent. It's a ten out of ten every time.
Speaker 2: How many girls you go with? How many ladies?
Speaker 12: Three?
Speaker 2: And one of them bought, brought a.
Speaker 10: Boyfriend, brought the husband husband, Yes, what's his deal?
Speaker 2: Lot of self esteem?
Speaker 10: It's not even that I think he knows. It's an awesome time. I mean, we're a fun group to be around. It's sunshine, baseball good.
Speaker 12: Of course he does.
Speaker 2: Well, why's you gotta get it? If it's if it's three other women four total? Yeah, four women and one guy in one air Airbnb? Yep, why would you want to do that?
Speaker 12: We shared one car.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: He fill it next week.
Speaker 10: I got to talk to you want me to bring him in here? I would love to meet this guy. Actually I could organize that. I feel the need to tag along with Dave. I'm just saying, is why would you do that? If you're a guy like I'm gonna go with my wife and her friends.
Speaker 3: That's you're not.
Speaker 1: Supposed to do.
Speaker 2: That's breaking all the rules.
Speaker 10: He did drive us everywhere, which was nice, and helped carry our bags, which was also.
Speaker 12: A big bonus. So he had bought dinner one night.
Speaker 2: He jealous.
Speaker 12: It's a very confident dude. He's got a great job. He's like one of the girls.
Speaker 2: You know, does he is he that possessive about her?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 12: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: When she's on stage dancing at the club, he sits in the back drinking.
Speaker 12: He's the one taking the pick.
Speaker 2: He's a guy sitting in the back watching his girlfriend making sure customers.
Speaker 12: He is very confident in their relationship, is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Because it's a fun Who doesn't want to go out to Goodyear and watch the Reds play?
Speaker 2: Now with you? That doesn't sound like fun at all? What's wrong with me? You and your friends? That's nothing a guy wants to be part of that.
Speaker 10: They're an easy going group. I think you'd have a good time with us slow. I don't think well it want to come next to you. If it's mixed couple, that's fine. But you don't want to be the one guy and a bunch of girls. You don't want to be the only cock in the hen halves.
Speaker 12: Speaking of being the only.
Speaker 10: Okay, we gotta get to it. We got hoops tonight, baby, we got oops tonight. It's of course, Miami SMU. They say nine to fifteen dip and it'll be about ten o'clock. I'm sure I'm gonna be just the dip. I'm gonna be so sleep deprived tomorrow, but it's gonna be worth it.
Speaker 12: Hopefully they can.
Speaker 10: Make it out of this alive and then they'll be playing Tennessee on Friday, and Will Travis Steele be in his lucky blue Skyline T shirt.
Speaker 12: Apparently this is a thing. We learned this on Local twelve.
Speaker 10: It's trending on social media that for every single game, coach Steele has been wearing this like blue Skyline Chili T shirt underneath of his like Pulo.
Speaker 2: I love superstitions, I love sports superstitions.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's very superstitious. And he goes, look, I'm not dirty. I do wash it, but I'm not going to miss out on wearing it. Is thirty one in one great.
Speaker 2: Great stories about sports superstitions, I mean fantastic stuff.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 10: And also Peter Suitter, you know Star Senior. He wears the same sucks for every single game. Sure, and he's like, look, I'm also not disgusting. I do wash them. He's like, I'm not that dirty. So just say, you know a lot a very superstitious team, and it seems like it's working out pretty good.
Speaker 2: Sure Philip doesn't then he started a new superstition.
Speaker 10: Hopefully all of those superstitious stuff comes into play tonight and they can get out of the eighty five to eighty three is my prediction.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you think I want? My well, here's the thing.
Speaker 10: I feel like a lot of guys around here that I've talked to about it, they don't think Miami's going to win tonight.
Speaker 2: You beat SMU, you got Tennessee. Yep, it ends there, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I am stop.
Speaker 10: I'm trying to be really confident and optimistic. This is why you don't last Thursday's game though, had me on edge. I was like, I don't like how these guys are playing in this one.
Speaker 2: I really want Miami to win because you don't want to lose two. You go perfect, then you lose your two games. When it came to go back.
Speaker 10: To back losses like that, I was worried watching selection Sunday, I was like, or are they going to get in?
Speaker 12: You got the akron Zips, the.
Speaker 2: Three other teams more behind them, so it wasn't like they're the last team in. But right, I'm hoping for you know, fourteen seed and fifteen.
Speaker 12: You got to put them in there at thirty one and one. So yeah, now you say up for this one? Will you watch? Being a maction kind of guy, let's start.
Speaker 10: Oh, they say nine to fifteen, but it'll likely be closer than nine five.
Speaker 2: Probably watch first half.
Speaker 10: Okay, all that matters are the last few seconds. I know, and I think it's going to be close.
Speaker 12: I really do.
Speaker 10: I think it's going to come down. It's going to come down to the final few seconds.
Speaker 4: I know it.
Speaker 2: When you're not a UC or Xavier or O you alum, you're a Miami alum.
Speaker 8: I am.
Speaker 12: I'm wearing my Miami a Lum sweatshirt today.
Speaker 2: You know they don't hand those Miami Alump shirts out to anyone. No, sir, you really have online. You have to show your you have to show your transcript.
Speaker 10: President Crawford gifted me this one, so okay, all right, good job.
Speaker 12: No he actually didn't, sir.
Speaker 2: It's old.
Speaker 12: I mean, yeah, it's that's not.
Speaker 2: A legit Miami.
Speaker 10: Look how old this thing is. I graduated back in twenty ten. So to your math, it's upsight. That's actually a w So anyway, winning, which is exactly what they're gonna do tonight. Speaking of winning, our guy Auhino Suarez. I don't know if you watch that post game speech, but it'll have your skin, just the arms on your hair will be standing up. I mean I get chills thinking about it. It's it was so cool.
Speaker 2: You know, the shirt play is you want Team USA to win, which they didn't.
Speaker 12: You do you want Gino to win, and you want USA to win.
Speaker 2: You want to win. It's like, but Gino was so hot, so hot. Okay, that's going to transl like he's got a chip playing. He was playing with a chip on his shoulder.
Speaker 12: And after that home run, the other wonder why.
Speaker 2: It's like, maybe you know what we're doing with Venezuela, and like, I'm sure he's not a Maduro fan, but he's been very outspoken about action over there, and maybe that's the chip on his shoulder. Maybe this is like he shows up and is just breaking from day one, which you know what the long play is. I don't want to see Team USA lose. But if it means Suarez is going to play like that for the season, I'm.
Speaker 12: In bring all the good vibes to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: With a go ahead double in the ninth last night, of course, Venezuela over us A three to two. And if you've not seen this speech, it's trending all of our social media. Very lengthy, but he basically said, you know, not just teammates, were a family and he just he was preaching the Bible. He was like, God is good as all because of God, and man, it's just chilling to watch good Man.
Speaker 12: So I'm glad that he is a Cincinnati Red. That's the best.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's the best that they made in the off season. Cannot wait to watch him. Looking forward to it and to hear that intro Josie do it sony'ow it.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't let you do it.
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 2: And hey, can you do? Then you can't do the lineup?
Speaker 12: A hanio hanio?
Speaker 3: Wow, there it is.
Speaker 12: Thank you. Also, I have more good news, So Hunt.
Speaker 2: Broken Glass night at Great American Ballpark. All kids hunder twelve get a free bag of broken glass.
Speaker 10: Speaking of broken glass, that leads me to my next point here of talking about Hunter green Hu and all those broken chips in his elbow.
Speaker 12: So we got that fixed and he decided to go back.
Speaker 2: It's Mr Night, Great American Ballpark.
Speaker 10: More M Horizon RBI perfect. So he got the chips in the elbow all figured out, and he decided to go back out to Arizona.
Speaker 12: And had nothing but good things to say about the procedure.
Speaker 10: He said, he already feels freedom in that elbow and said, you know, I've got the normal swelling and the discomfort, but I'm making progress pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Why didn't we do this last year in October?
Speaker 12: Why bruh, we'd be well on our way with hundred Green.
Speaker 10: No kidding, Yeah, I'm sure it does after it's been injured for six months. I'm hot and cold with Hunter Green. Yeah, it's like when he's great, he's great, but he's stubborn.
Speaker 12: Dude, elbow chicks man. Well now he doesn't have those chips.
Speaker 2: It's all so nup. I shouldn't pay him for this. I demand a rebate.
Speaker 10: He makes too much money for this. This is ridiculous, just a bad move. So of course, while I was in Arizona, they did announce. I know we all know this by now, that it's going to be Andrew rabbits on the mound next Thursday, taking on the Red Sox when it all starts to count.
Speaker 12: How do you feel about Andrew Rabbit.
Speaker 10: I mean, he's had a rough spring, and I know Peo are kind of giving him a hard time about it. But Andrew has told media, look, I am just trying to stay healthy here. I think he's got an era of over thirteen now, so rough thoughts.
Speaker 2: I mean again, start of the season. You want to come out of the blocks hot for sure, Yeah, I mean, but but who else would you would you elevate over the Lodol.
Speaker 12: Singer, Lodolo, Chase Burns.
Speaker 2: Red Louder, You got the Boston Red Sox coming in. Yeah, gotta puts your best out there, So maybe he got I don't know, it's right the expectations. Green comes back around maybe after the All Star break at.
Speaker 10: This point at the earliest, and that is if everything is going okay and he doesn't go pushing it like he was doing in October pitching against the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 10: So yeah, we'll see Andrew the other day for his last start. I don't know if that's the last start that we'll see from him before Opening Day. I would imagine that Tito will give him one more.
Speaker 2: Maybe they just.
Speaker 10: But he did have sixty nine pitches and only two innings and he gave up four runs, so kind of tough. He did say that he wasn't feeling well, So I hope that everything can be one hundred percent and ready to go.
Speaker 2: You can't worry about it's going to happen. We'll find out you can't.
Speaker 12: So it's gonna be a split squad day.
Speaker 10: Half of the team will stay at Goodyear Ballpark where they'll host the Rockies and the other and they'll have Brady Singer on the mound for that one, and then the other half will go to Arizona's stadium.
Speaker 12: So it'll be most likely like an opening day looking.
Speaker 2: Kind of get everybody getting some working. Yeah, yeah, Tom Bridman hasn't been on vacation. He's actually it's part of our split squad. Action squad was off. I think Eddie was off. Willie was off, so it's like we had split squad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we have more guys out than it. Yeah, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Reinhard wants to try some guys out. You know what it is, I get it split squad and yeah, yeah, Tom's doing a morning showing Lima likely. No, Will, I'm sorry, no, it was I think Will.
Speaker 12: He's done in Maple.
Speaker 2: I think Fingers was getting some working on line of time.
Speaker 12: Where has he been?
Speaker 5: Tom?
Speaker 2: Tom was out in iHeart Kansas City?
Speaker 12: So what you got me all distracted here?
Speaker 10: And of course we've been talking about Matt McClain being red hot, the hottest hitter of this team in spring ball. His average is like a five to fifty three. He's got six home runs. Do you think he can carry this over into the regular season. I mean, we know he's coming off that bad surgery in twenty twenty four. Last year was brutal for this guy, but he seems to believe them. He's put them in the too, in the two spot between Friedol and Ellie's.
Speaker 2: So how is he Why wouldn't he continue that into the regular season.
Speaker 12: I don't know the pressures on though right now. I feel like there's not a whole lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: Pretty good at pressure.
Speaker 12: I think they they can handle a tough situation.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, he gets wires and there's taking a lot of pressure off guys McLean and him.
Speaker 10: So it's I think he's he's really good in the clubhouse. I think he's going to bring a lot of good vibes on.
Speaker 2: The team, as long as none enough to get elbow chips were.
Speaker 10: Good, Keep the chips out of the elbow, keep everything everything solid.
Speaker 2: I heard you, I already had chips on his elbow, and I said, what what the tortilla Grippo's you got the let me see here, you got Fredo's, you got that jar that would have the wooded pepper, uh peanut, but pringles, and then you got what else lays there's uh uh ruffles.
Speaker 12: I'm trying to ruffle any feathers here.
Speaker 10: But Joe Burrow is making the headlines also because you're probably like, what is Joe Burrow up to in the off season. He's got Hollywood. We have lost him to Hollywood. He's hanging out with all the famous people now. After the Oscars the other day, he was seen out at a post Oscars party with Tate McCrae and Alex Earl, who is a very popular TikToker who was last seen with Tom Brady. So that's what our guy's getting into.
Speaker 2: Great just when football games stay healthy.
Speaker 12: I think he's staying pretty healthy in the off season.
Speaker 2: I really don't care.
Speaker 12: These girls are keeping him alive sure.
Speaker 10: Also, Geno Stone is happy to be back to a winning culture, is what he told media the other day about his signing with the Buffalo Bills. Be good to play in a winning culture atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Since you bring that down, you think, since he's got my Bills got proces, we.
Speaker 12: Don't miss you. How do you feel about Geno being a part of your team?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: I told Ricky Chino I would I I know he makes the speech. Yes, I don't think he makes it through camp.
Speaker 12: I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got release all over him.
Speaker 10: Happy to see him out of here, a winning culture without ginostone here looking at it.
Speaker 2: But again in true Cincinnati fashion, Uh huh, watch him go ball out and before right, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 12: And Trey Hendrickson and with the with the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Four hundred tackles, six receptions.
Speaker 10: Which the Ravens have been nothing but annoying on social media about signing Trey Hendrickson. I think they've made forty five social media post about it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's yew that works out?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Will he stay healthy?
Speaker 2: You gave up a lot to get tread.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you can have him for what one or two games or an entire season seventeen plus, knowing the Ravens they won't get past seventeen.
Speaker 2: I love how you crap it on Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 10: Now you're like I was over it, No, no, no, guy, I was over the whole tree hundred hundredson experiment at the beginning of the season, when he kept complaining about the condrag stuff, and then he got injured and we were winning without him.
Speaker 12: So I'm done.
Speaker 2: You're done. Good luck, you're done.
Speaker 12: Good luck with the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 12: Oh and good luck to my Miami RedHawks tonight.
Speaker 2: All right, she'd beat the Methodists. Smu baby, all right, the method man. All right, sir, release the snort report this morning on seven hundred dow catch her tired act over the Kid Crist Show.
Speaker 12: I will be tired tomorrow.
Speaker 2: She's got her Miami gear on.
Speaker 12: That's right, let's go right off.
Speaker 2: If they lose tonight.
Speaker 12: Then I'm done watching basketball.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 10: This is the only thing keeping me intrigued. I'm not doing the bracket that Austin's running. I'm not getting involved with all that. I'm shifting focus one hundred percent into the Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 2: Right around November. Does the Miami gear come back out or do they only when they win?
Speaker 12: Anyways? No, I'm I'm super proud of Miama Mater.
Speaker 10: This is a really exciting time and you've got people all over the country rooting for them. I mean, it's like a cool Cinderella story. So just keep going. Do it tonight, beat Tennessee on Friday.
Speaker 2: Let's go. We call her nickname around here is Rickshaw because she's Frontrunner.
Speaker 10: This is literally where I graduated from. I am the only Miami graden.
Speaker 2: This is for five years. This is the first time I've seen you. Never done thirty one and one. I can go front Runners.
Speaker 12: Of course we're going to talk about the red Ox.
Speaker 10: You and Riccoccino talked about the Red Hocks last week, and you have no ties to Miami.
Speaker 2: Whatsoe?
Speaker 10: You're the only time in Miami is that they played be Sew and the Red Hawks went on to beat the Falcons.
Speaker 12: That's maction baby, Alright, alright, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Sarah and her Dusty Alumni shirt. Seven hundred WL Twitter Cincinnati