Speaker 1: Well, last weekend was a great celebration weekend for Rick Monday, who fifty years ago saved the American Flag at Dodger Stadium wearing the Cubs uniform. Not only was Rick celebrated at Dodger Stadium, but he's going to be celebrated the rest of the summer in Cooperstown at the Baseball Hall of Fame as the American flag that Rick Monday brought back to Dodger Stadium is now at the Baseball Hall of Fame and is going to be part of the country's two hundred and fiftieth celebration out there in Cooperstown. And right now is a man that was joined at the hip with Rick Monday last weekend at Dodgers Stadium, and he's the man, a great eight one eight man from Chatsworth High School, and he is now the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame, the one and only Josh Rawitch. Josh, thanks a lot for the time, and it was great to see you back at Dodger Stadium last weekend.
Speaker 2: Thanks David. I love being a love representing the eight one eight, but more Inportant. I love being back that way and seeing all of you guys, So thank.
Speaker 1: You, Josh. You've been around Rick Monday a long time. Had you ever come that close to the American flag that he saved back in nineteen seventy six?
Speaker 2: No, I really hadn't. Honestly, It's funny. I was thinking about this recently the twenty five years ago when he was celebrating the twenty fifth anniversary of this incredible moment. I was a writer for Dodgers dot Com and I wrote about it for the Dodgers' website. So pretty crazy that quarter century later. Was part of the team that transported it back here, and it's now in our vault, getting ready for exhibit here coming up very soon in Cooperstown.
Speaker 1: Can you share with us for baseball fans that are coming out for the inauguration weekend for the new class of this year's Baseball Hall of Fame and throughout the entire summer the celebration of America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this, and this exhibit is a big focal point for that. But all summer long, we'll be celebrating America two fifty and it kicks off over Memorial Day weekend. Actually going to play in our Military Classic, which is a tribute to service and sacrifice. Obviously, he's a very proud veteran. So we have several former Big leaguers who are veterans that are going to be playing in this game, and many players who played in the Big Leagues who either had family members who served or supported the troops. So it all starts Memorial Day weekend and all sorts of cool events here, and we're also going to have the opening of a different exhibit that weekend, the Rules of Baseball, which go back to eighteen fifty seven, literally the document that from the Convention of eighteen fifty seven that codified baseball rules. So all sorts of cool stuff for people to see here in Cooperstown. And then he'll be back again Hall of Fame weekend in late July to be honored once again for his dedication to raising awareness for military causes and for that move fifty years ago that saved the flag at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And when you talk about having the rules of baseball, were those written by Alexander Cartwright? What are the rules of baseball? What do they look like?
Speaker 2: So it really is in a way almost like a constitution document. If you go to the Smithsonian or you go to one of the museums in DC and you see behind the really special glass. These were basically about about fifteen pages or so that came out of the Knickerbocker convention in fifty seven. So it wouldn't have been Kartwright. It would have been a group of people who were part of the New York Knickerbockers, and they got together in February of fifty seven to try to start to figure out, Hey, which rules we want to play by? We all had There's a lot of different ways the game is being played. And there's a gentleman in San Diego named Hayden Trubet who bought these rules about ten years ago or so and is loaning them to us for the next five years. So rick flag is only on display this summer. The rules of Baseball will be out for the next five years here in Cooperstown, alongside all sorts of other really cool stuff to come see and do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, the Baseball Hall of Fame is definitely a pilgrimage every baseball fans should take at some point in time in their lives. And we're joined right now by the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame, Josh Rawitch and Josh Gosh. Obviously, the country's two hundred and fiftieth birthday did not sneak up on you. How long did it take to work with Rick and his wife, Barbara Lee to plan on getting the American flag to honor not only America's birthday but the anniversary of him saving the flag fifty years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right, it's not an easy process, and they've been very careful. It really has never left their possession since this happened fifty years ago. So I think I may have first mentioned it to him maybe three years ago or so, I think when the Dodgers had the All Star Game maybe, or at some point a couple summers ago. And then it was last spring training. We sat down for dinner and I kind of explained to him the care and the tension of detail that our team puts into making sure that it's safe, it's secure, that it's in proper humidity and light and temperature controlled casing. So once I think he realized he and Barbara Lee understood just how closely we'd look after it, they started thinking more seriously about it. And then just I guess it was late last fall, Rick was honored by the Bob Feller acta valor foundation in DC, and I went to that event and they let us know that they were on board. They were going to let us bring this thing to Cooper's town. And honestly, everybody here is so excited because it's just it's so rare to have something that unique. I mean, it's just such a We have an incredible collection of baseballs and bats and gloves and all these amazing things from Dodger history and baseball history, but this is this is about as singular and artifact as you can get. There is nothing else like this, and to have it here this summer is going to be really cool.
Speaker 1: When can fans start to see it? When can they start to see this exhibit that you and the Hall of Fame have put together this summer? What's the first date of you know, fans wanting to plan a trip out there to see all this.
Speaker 2: So the Memorial Day weekend in May May twenty second, third, fourth, We'll open the exhibit on Friday night in a little bit of a private event, and then Saturday, which is the day of the Classic fans are still tickets available for that, So if people wanted to make a trip for a Memorial Day weekend, I highly recommend it. It's a really cool time and it'll run all the way through Labor Day weekend. That's usually our kind of busy season here in Cooperstown, and then we'll eventually return it to him as we get into the fall. But if you want to see the flag, you got to come this summer. And then there's all sorts of other amazing Dodger stuff here. I mean you can imagine every year we collect artifacts from the World Series. So there's a whole exhibit focused on the twenty five championship with all sorts of cool things from Miguel Rojas and Otani and Freddie and then you just go back and timed Jackie Robinson and Campanella, Drysdale, Cofax, just artifacts from Dodger history that would really blow Dodger fans' minds if they came out here to see it.
Speaker 1: And to get tickets to the Baseball Hall of Fame. It's simple. Baseballhall dot Org is where you can make all your plans. And you brought up last year's World Series. We did see you during the World Series last year. What do you have from Miguel Rojas since he was the hero to save the season.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually an amazing story. We really were a little hesitant to ask for his bat, and had Freddie had already confirmed that he was giving us his bat from the eighteen eighty Games. So we actually asked Rojas for his batting gloves and he had said, you know, I promise these to the patron saint in Venezuela. And I said, well, we can't possibly ask you to take it back from that promise, and he said, what if I gave you the bat, which is really pretty special. So we do have here on display Miguel's bat, alongside jerseys from Shohey and Dave Roberts, and the glove that Mookie used to turn the final double play off, all sorts of cool stuff from not only that World Series, but obviously the one before it, all of the Dodgers Championships, the last out ball from nineteen eighty eight, all just I mean, honestly, a Dodger fan who comes here is going to have an amazing time and play some golf, get on the lake and see America's most perfect village.
Speaker 1: No doubt, the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York is certainly a destination spot for every Dodger fan, especially since history has been made seemingly every night the last few years. And Josh, how about the two guys that are going into the Hall of Fame part of this year's class, Andrew Jones, but specifically Jeff Kent, who you were around a lot when you were working for the Dodgers. Is it surreal to be in contact with Jeff Kent and be the guy that is the president of the Baseball Hall of Fame when he's being inducted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good word for it. I'm more than anything, We're just happy for these guys. I mean, you spend your whole career and in Jeff's case, arguably, if not the greatest offensive second basement of the last fifty years, certainly one of the top two or three to see him get get elected. And he really wasn't expecting it. I mean, he really honestly was very surprised when we called. And I think that makes it even more special. He had kind of moved on to totally different life in Texas and now all of a sudden, he said. All these baseball memories come rushing back from the Dodgers and the Giants, from the Astros, the Mets, the Indians. He played for a number of teams, and Andrew obviously is really well known in Atlanta, but he did spend that one year in Los Angeles, and these guys are just thrilled as well as Carlos Speltron. Lots of great memories for him in the game and one of the better center fielders and switch hitters of all time. So it's gonna be a great class, it's gonna be a great summer out here, and truly just honored to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: It'll be more surreal for you when number twenty two is inducted into the Hall of Fame. Josh, that's when life will really collide for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had a lot of friends who've already told me they've started making plans and they want to stay at our house. But yeah, being there the day that he was drafted and now potentially seeing him in a few years make his way into the Hall of Fame here would really be pretty special, pretty unique.
Speaker 1: No doubt I will be there, but I won't stay at your house.
Speaker 2: Josh, thanks buddy. We'll work on a hotel room for you somewhere far away.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. That's exactly the way he would want it. Josh, thanks a lot for the time. Looking forward to seeing how this exhibit comes together beginning Memorial Day weekend. Rick Monday the American flag that he saved fifty years ago part of an incredible exhibit at Baseball's Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. And the man that has the vision for all this is the President of the Baseball Hall of Fame, Josh Rawitch. Josh, thanks a lot, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave being on and talking to you guys. Take care all right.
Speaker 1: Baseballhall dot org is where you can get all your tickets, set up your whole trip for the Baseball Hall of Fame