Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's a great day at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers have returned home for a big homestand seven game homestand starting tonight against the Atlanta Braves, and it's great to have my guy, Rock Stewart. Going back to the trade deadline, I know you wanted to be a bigger part of last year, But how does it feel now to be healthy and be able to contribute. Here's good.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm getting paid to do, so it feels good. Yeah, best team in baseball. Fun to team, to be a part of a lot of great guys. So to just know that I'm contributing now is huge, and yeah, looking forward to a good year.
Speaker 1: When you were with the Dodgers, you were a starting pitcher. You obviously we know about the changes you made to invest in yourself to become one of the best right handed relievers against right handed hitters. When you look at the way the Dodgers game plan, how different is it from where you were in Minnesota to prepare are you for whatever you may encounter when the game starts.
Speaker 2: Not too different. Honestly, I think every team is pretty locked in when it comes to analytics and matchups and scouting reports and all sorts of things like that. Dodgers may be a tick above a lot of teams in that regard, but it's not too far. It's not too drastic of a difference as people may think. You know, everybody's pretty hip to everything nowadays. So but the communication here is great. You know, they tell you to lean on your strengths and that's what a lot of the guys do down there.
Speaker 1: And no, it's great. The communication is great.
Speaker 2: The feedback is great after every outing, so everybody's on the same page, all pull on the same string to you know, help Dodgers get the wins.
Speaker 1: You know this, brock Stewart, when you first came up, they talked about relievers wanting to know their role, knowing what inning they were going to come into. It seems like the Dodgers were the first to say, we are going to define your roles, but not by innings, but by groupings of hitters. Is that still the same mentality, you know, when you're going to be needed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to a certain extent. I mean, even the other day in Houston, Bardo down on the bullpen Josh Bardon. He pretty much said like I'd be ready when this next group of righties comes up, and uh, I don't think it was the next one, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was the following one.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, I know, you know I have last year especially had more success against righty's for sure than lefties.
Speaker 1: But uh, so far, I mean in.
Speaker 2: The rehab outings anyway I can help the team, So looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt we are too. Brock Stewart is back. He's healthy and part of a great Dodger bullpen. Now, I know from talking to other players that are hurt, you kind of feel like an outsider on the team even though you are part of this team. Now that you're back and you're pitching, does it feel like, since when you got traded you got hurt quickly after that, that you're still kind of finding your way with new teammates or do you feel like you've you've found your spot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm not really necessarily looking for a spot.
Speaker 1: Are you still the new guy? Is what I'm asking I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody, even right when I got over, I felt, you know, welcomed, and I felt that everybody was you know, pretty welcoming and had open arms and everything and open mind. So uh no, like I said, this is a great group of guys, and it wasn't too hard to fit in right when I got traded over last year and definitely this year. I mean, it's it's been easy. I mean I was with them all spring. Uh yeah, so I know the guys pretty well and it's a great group of guys. So yeah, I mean it's just a it's been an easy transition. And I think that's that's has to do with like I said, great group guys, and it's it's it makes it easy when when everybody's a nice human and cares about each other and gets to know each other, and it's not just all focused on baseball. You know, we're not We're not down there in the bullpen's strictly focused on baseball. We're definitely locked in, ready, ready when our name's called. But you know we're friends too, you know, we're not just we're not just teammates.
Speaker 1: Okay, So who's your catch partner?
Speaker 2: Ah, the bullpen catchers?
Speaker 1: Oh geez, doesn't sound like you have many friends if that's your catch partner.
Speaker 2: No, I have a specific like I have a specific routine. So a lot of the a lot of the other don't like to play catch with me because I take forever doing Plyo throws before my catch routine, or I'm doing bands too long, or I don't throw enough when I have a baseball in my hand. So I just like to throw the bullpen catchers to make it easy.
Speaker 1: Okay. The one thing that hasn't changed from the time brock Stewart was with the Dodgers the first time to this time around is when you come off the field, you still put your glove on your hat. That's when I know it's brock Stewart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's easy. You don't have to carry it, just put it on your hat and your hands are free and you're just chilling.
Speaker 1: It's a it's comfortable, all right. I know your teammates didn't like me declaring you got the best hair on the team, but I'm sticking by it.
Speaker 2: Hey man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the case with Glass now and a couple other guys on our team, but you know what, I'll take your word for it, and sure do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. That's as far as I'm going with it. Yesterday I was talking about Vessie's hands, and now i'm talking about your hair. So I'll leave it right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just hands and hair, no other body parts. All right, just keep it right there.
Speaker 1: Day. Sounds good, hands above the table, Brock, thanks a lot for the time. Great to see you, and we're looking forward to seeing this version of Brock Stewart.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.