Speaker 1: US.
Speaker 2: As we begin, it's five thirty eight before we look ahead to look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. This was the day in seventeen seventy seven the General George Washington and his army routed the British in the Battle of Princeton, New Jersey, in a surprise early morning attack that took the Hessians by surprise, a key turning point in our Revolutionary War. Eighteen sixty one, a couple of weeks after George has seceded from the Union, the state militia sees Fort Pulaski as we began to turn towards civil war. This state nineteen fifty nine, Alaska officially admitted as the forty ninth state. Hawaii would soon follow. Apple Computer, months after its founding, incorporated in California. The year was nineteen nineteen seventy seven, and odd timing on this nineteen ninety Panama, the ousted Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega surrendered to US troops this morning. As you have heard, the United States has successfully removed Maduro from Venezuela. More than that, of course, as we continue, was four years ago Today, a jury in California convicted Elizabeth Holmes of duping investors into believing that her startup company Theranos, had developed a medical device that could detect disease and conditions from a few drops of blood. Not really mentioned Stephen Stills on the birthday list. Another famous rock and roller, John Paul Jones led zeppelintern eighty today, Victoria Principal is seventy six. Mel Gibson turned seventy. Hall of Famer Cheryl Miller is sixty two. Kimberly Locke forty eight. Former NFLQB Eli Manning is forty five. Seeing Greta Tunberg is twenty three. She's looking for a new cause, So I mean, if you're hiring, she'll shill for anything. And if it's your birthday, I hope and pray it is the best day ever and that you get to spend it with the people you love, doing the things you love to do. And that is truly my wish for you. I've been blessed enough to have that happen recently. Five point forty one. This is a Saturday Morning edition. Welcome seven hundred WLW cold start this morning. But it's January. What you want on our way today sunshine, there will be some sunshine and it'll be about thirty five for a high temp as we top out tonight. A few clouds, colder tomorrow, mostly sonny, and about thirty nine for the high temp. So really great football conditions for Bengals and Browns as the Boys and Stripes close out the NFL season. Today it is twenty four, seven hundred WLW Sports Liam Tomlinson. We are at the end of the road in this NFL schedule. Let's go ahead and start there, and we got a bunch to cover, I know. But the Bengals take on the Browns, hoping to do a double deuce on Cleveland and beat them twice this year. It's not necessarily going to be easy, judging from Cleveland's defensive prowess the last few games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of storylines going in to the last Bengals Browns game. That game kicks off at one pm right here on the home of the Best Bengals coverage, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Miles Garrett chasing the sack record.
Speaker 3: Some say there's an extra game, so it's not the same last week he couldn't get against the Steelers, but also this game more importantly for bragging rights in the Battle of Ohio. It's always good to come out with two wins against the Cleveland Browns in the same season and some positive momentum into next year. The Bengals can't draft worse than thirteenth with a win.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean there was I don't think there was ever any question about the Bengals tanking to get a better draft position. And besides, it's not draft position, it is who you pick. And there is no greater display of that this weekend as the playoffs approach than brock perty of the San Francisco forty nine ers, who was mister irrelevant in the draft, the last player picked and is well, he's if he'd stay healthy, he'd certainly have an MVP award by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a battle for the NFC West that game kicks off. Brock Purty will be playing in that against Seattle Seattle in San Francisco at eight PM, and Carolina faces the Buccaneers, so the NFC South title potentially barring in Atlanta Falcons win over the Saints, which would give the Panthers an auto bid into the playoffs because the Panthers hold the tiebreaker over the Falcons, who hold the tiebreaker over the Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: That is crazy that division the winner the playoff participant will be eight and nine.
Speaker 3: It's even crazier that the Atlanta Falcons were eliminated from playoff contention five weeks ago and they're going to finish probably potentially with the same record as the division champion.
Speaker 2: I know it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, you see you played in a bowl game, the Liberty Bowl. The Navy midche got crushed. Yeah, the Navy midshipman dominated the Bearcats thirty five to thirteen.
Speaker 2: Last night.
Speaker 3: There was some controversy, not controversy, but coach Shadderfield was complaining about the transfer portal window open and the bowl games being played at the same time. So it's interesting to see how much energy was put towards the ball game, especially with the opt outs.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're gonna be able to continue the way they are. In college football, it is utterly ridiculous that you can have coaches as is going on from Mississippi with Ole Miss. Coaches who got them into the semi finals are gonna be I mean, they're not participating in the next round or you know, they're Lane Kiffin is having them move with him to the next location. It's bad enough to lose your head coach when you're in the college football playoffs and the transfer port. They've got to sort this out because the way it's working right now isn't working for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Congress is gonna have to step in, and I think the NCAA kind of let it become the Wild West because they saw everything.
Speaker 2: Coming down the line. They weren't able to win.
Speaker 3: Any lawsuits, so they're like, here, have your cake and eat it too. It's going to become a mess and then there'll be the heroes in this situation at the end somehow.
Speaker 2: But we got some college basketball.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 3: Is Avier on the road to face the DePaul Blue Demons. Pregame coverage begins at one thirty. Tip is set for two on fifty five KRC. You see hosts of eighth ranked Houston Bearcats this afternoon. Pregame coverage begins at one thirty. That tip is set for two right here on seven hundred a WLW and Kentucky travels to Tuscaluska Tuscal, LUSA today to face the fourteenth ranked Alabama Crimson Tide. Tip is at noon on ESPN fifteen thirty. Make sure you tighten your Tuscaloosa everything. Chris to two point zero. Already up and going this morning. I hope I didn't wake you up. But now that you're here, great to have you big.
Speaker 2: It's five point forty seven on a Saturday morning, Gary Jeff Walker, the first Saturday Morning edition of the New Year, and there's no better way to kick it off than with a visit to Florence Park Care and our friend the lovely Lady Lynette. Good morning, Lynette.
Speaker 4: God is God is still along? To throw home with your balls? You have a fall where you walk here wary along? Remember God, you steal along the row.
Speaker 5: Amen, there you go.
Speaker 2: How are you this morning? Baby?
Speaker 5: I'm just peachy. As Marianne used to say, doctor Crat's office.
Speaker 2: So this is somebody that worked for a doctor that you used to go to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get my allergy shots once a.
Speaker 2: Week and she always was peachy.
Speaker 5: Now Marianne's said she was just peachy.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you look pretty good when I saw you back on my birthday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a pretty good day.
Speaker 2: I got a picture of you with Liam, my producer, and uh, I tell you what. I somebody sent it to me. I think it was Dave from Dayton sent it to me, and uh, I got to tell you. I text Liam with the picture. I said, who's that hot chick.
Speaker 1: You with.
Speaker 5: Down there at the birthday party?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh, eyes are everywhere, aren't they? You know?
Speaker 2: But here here's what I said. I sent him this picture of you and him in the studio and you got your Santa Claus hat on and your Christmas sweater and you look fantastic, and I, well, he had a sweater on. I don't know if it's a Christmas sweater. It's just kind of a pull.
Speaker 5: Over Christmas sort sweater.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I I said, who's the hot chick you're with? And you know what he said? He said, you would not believe the things she whispered in my ear? What did you whisper in Liam's ear? Lynette?
Speaker 5: I want to see nothings. I don't even remember. I was in the party mood.
Speaker 2: Well, you were certainly very festive and we appreciated seeing you, and thanks to Dave back Wrath for bringing you down again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got home ten minutes of four and our party ended at three thirty.
Speaker 2: Well, were you were you around? Did you have a party for New Year's Eve?
Speaker 5: No? No, we partied in everybody stayed in their room.
Speaker 2: Oh, so did you watch the ball drop?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I watched it on the three channels clip clip in that Tennessee. I watched their ball drop.
Speaker 2: So so you stayed up worth then.
Speaker 5: I do every year?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is it hard to stay awake that late? It is for me.
Speaker 5: No, you're younger than me.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I stopped staying up for New Year's Eve probably about five or six years ago.
Speaker 5: What I said, you get up and do radio shows at five in the morning, and everything's different.
Speaker 2: Well, you're here a wait talking to me right now? I mean, do you ever sleep in doing this?
Speaker 5: What twenty nine years in March?
Speaker 2: Yep, we're getting close twenty ninth anniversary in March. If we're still on the air.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think they'll make it.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They may eighty six me before then. You never know.
Speaker 5: I don't think they'll snake you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always good to talk to you, babe. Any shout outs or anybody you want to say hello to, Well you got the chance.
Speaker 5: Oh, I can't get a lesi going, but uh, she uh, well, listen to TV music, you know, and I'll say surround sound. But I can't get w l W radio because there's something you gotta do. I don't know what the index means.
Speaker 2: I'm not certain. I'm not looking at what you're looking at, so I can't do you.
Speaker 5: So Christine, if you're listening, come over and get my lectures strained up.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: I hope young Mark are doing good. And Marcia, I have heard from you. Hope you in the transplant.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, we heard listen. I wanted to tell you we actually heard from Marcia last week. Her transplant was successful. She's doing well, and she wanted you to know.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 5: All right, tell her tell her when to come to visit.
Speaker 2: I'm certain as soon as she's able to do that she will. Hey, yeah, listeners, have a happy New Year. Happy New Year, Lynette.
Speaker 5: Happy New Year many anymore?
Speaker 2: How Bay least amen five point fifty three. Dick is hanging into the first official hour of the first official Saturday morning edition of the New Year, January third, twenty twenty six. Gary Jeff Walker starring his baby New Year, Don't Look. Six minutes after the hour six o six Eastern Net is, and yeah, fresh late. No matter what happened last year between me and Dave, I am starting over from scratch. Every bad pun, every terrible dad joke, everything that has come before, it doesn't matter. Now we're not looking in the rear mirror, looking straight ahead and looking forward to a fantastic twenty twenty six. So whatever you heard in this segment last year, or in the many years before that that we've been doing this nonsense, just forget about all that. This is gonna be different, It's gonna be better. There will actually be funny. One liner's told. I know it's hard to believe, and I know the proof is in the pudding. Well, we'll wait and see. And if you're if you're adopting that attitude, I totally understand. I get it. But I just have a feeling this is going to be a great year. And without any further ado or build up. Good morning, Dave, Good morning garage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how would you wannahaing this? Say the full twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a great year, isn't it, Dave? I just have I have this feeling, and I could be constipation, but I think it's anticipation of what's going to be an incredible slate of the next twelve months, of the next fifty two shows that we have the opportunity, and I'm grateful we have that opportunity to present to you and to everyone else. So are you sharing my enthusiasm?
Speaker 7: I am?
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave, Yeah, Hey, Dave. Knock knock?
Speaker 1: Who there?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Adore a door? Who doors between us? Please open it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Ask, seek and knock.
Speaker 2: There you go, Hey, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave? What what what do you? I think we're off to a flying start. What do you call a sad cup of coffee dupresso because it got mugged? Depresso?
Speaker 7: Yeah, depresso?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 6: Instant depresso Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Where do where do pirates get their hooks? Dave? At the second halt, at the second hand store?
Speaker 7: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: What what did what did one hat say to the other?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: Whoa three?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 7: The memorand so.
Speaker 2: Well, you see, it's a new year. Maybe maybe you guys.
Speaker 5: Are going to be different.
Speaker 8: So does that mean I get to hang up on you like I did about a year ago or two?
Speaker 2: What did one hat say to the other, Dave?
Speaker 8: He said, man that Tuscaloos is pretty tight on you.
Speaker 2: He said, you stay here. I'll go on ahead, Jeff.
Speaker 5: Where you keep all your dad jokes at?
Speaker 6: Where in the hockey mind?
Speaker 2: And a database in a database? Okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what Monday's favorite exercise is?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 6: Dave? I'm running late?
Speaker 9: What running late?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay? And and Dave finally finished with a flourish. All right?
Speaker 1: The flourish is this?
Speaker 8: With every survey that was taken about the good five best good things that happen in twenty twenty five, Christ's baptism.
Speaker 7: Was right up there at the top on every one of them.
Speaker 2: Boy, I agree with that. Yep, that's not that's not a joke though, That's that's for real.
Speaker 7: Hey dah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Hey Dave Man, you know it hasn't changed in the new year.
Speaker 7: Probably, Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: This joke's told by from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or we have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time. We deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 2: Here we are the third day of a brand new year, and we're hearkening back to nineteen ninety. I just love the symmetry of this, and I wonder if Donald Trump planned it this way. But President Trump and the United States military, in a maybe not so secret operation like we didn't see this coming, have flown Maduro out of Venezuela after an attack in Caracas that obviously was well planned. And we're exactly thirty six years from the date of taking Manuel Noriega out of Panama. So you got to ask, Okay, what happens? Well, what should happen is the person who actually won the election in Venezuela becomes president and we've got another friend in Latin America. We'll see, But isn't that just strange? Nineteen ninety twenty twenty six, Everything old is new again in the new year. That aside, it's six point fifteen on a Saturday morning, and this is the time we usually get a reception report from our friend mister Rick Washburn Old Radio. Rick is back. Good morning, Ricky, how are you and how are you receiving us.
Speaker 7: Oh, good morning, Gary, Jeff, I'm hanging in there, and oh I'm receiving you five x five on this wonderful nineteen thirty one GE junior models S thirty areas still leave with that model S twenty two. Easy for me to say, it's an a two AM radio. It's an early GE superheterodyne design post an RF stage, so it's a great d X er and a two tube push pull output stage for many a better audio quality.
Speaker 2: Every time you say super heterodyne, it reminds me of like some mythical figure in some science fiction movie. What what beware the super heterodyne geez cutting? Look at that super heterodyne versus.
Speaker 7: The evil villain, the Crosley neutrodyne.
Speaker 2: I usually only see a superheterodyne like that on the planet Kronos.
Speaker 7: He's aiming his regenerative detector at me.
Speaker 2: Oh no, exactly. Anyway, please continue. You were you were at push pin push pull, pull out, pull in. I don't know, push in.
Speaker 7: Pull go to the cabinet. It's just gorgeous. It's a tombstone style, so it's act shape with a flat top. But this one also has a smallish brass handle on the top. Yeah, you can use it, but I don't recommend it. Some or front edges looking like a couple of turn balusters, speaker grilled. That's actually in the Oh, it's in the shape of a complex inverted octagon. I had to look that up and grill costs. That's actually like it's tapestry with an embroidered picture of picture of a potted flower. It's very pretty and surprisingly the original costs intact and with limited fading, which is a bit of a miracle. But hey, let's go to the catalog. Shallly sure.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately I couldn't find an entry for this radio for ge, but their sister company RCA has the identical electronically identical radio with a slightly different cabinet at half the price, which I'm still scratching my head about. But I found an entry for that, which is the RCA Victor Radio.
Speaker 1: Let.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's it, or maybe it's Radio Lay. When we listened to I went to Bob Dylanson, thank you forgetting that. Okay, I know you're welcome. First of all, there's a nice picture of the radio superimposed over the corner of a picture of RC's radio factory. But this picture is only in shades of green of what looks like an industrial building's rooftop in the middle of the blizzard. The pictures of the aftermath of Chernobyl wish they could be this depressing. Would you print this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: From the world's largest radio factory, from the world renowned group of RCA engineers, from Victor's famous sound experts, in short, from radio headquarters in short, really be one of the greatest accomplishments in radio history. A powerful radio for only thirty seven dollars and fifty cents, complete with RCAA radiotron tubes. Wow, the greatest accomplished was the guy who printed the price tag. Good job. By the way, that's about eight hundred dollars today. So really is it that incredibly cheap? All that pomp and circumstance bracking about their experts, that's fine, it continues. The new RCA Victor radio let is a husky radio. Oh, come on, he doesn't like being called that. Ingeniously fitted into a tiny cabinet only fifteen inches high, about as small as a man o'clock, possibly largely due to the new RCA pen toad tube. Possibly yeah, Okay, the pent toad tube was a big deal in the day, but it didn't make the radio smaller, and reminds me about that old the post World War two joke about the brilliance of German engineers that were finally able to design a flashlight no larger than a golf bag. This radio is not that small, but I digress. As it's astoundingly low price. You can afford the radio at as an extra set in addition to your large radio. Wait, so suddenly this radio which is the greatest achievement since the inventention of the wheel, because it's now cast off of a second set. That might work. Okay, but don't show your guests. The last point for the ad is in the dining room, bedroom, porch or office. You know, I love the references to porch here we all see the old movies, TV shows ads for grandads listening to the ball game featuring local sports team when he's sitting on the porch of the house because it's roasting hot inside the house. But these are not indoor outdoor sets. You would not put it on the porch and leave it there first time. The rains that you'll be contacting your RCA dealer.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. What what is that? Boy? That's a super heterodyne with an inverted oxagon. Kill it now, Kill it now, Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com if you'd like to get in touch with mister Washburn. And after this conversation, who would thirty six the Saturday morning edition and we make our weekly visit down Highway fifty two from Cincinnati through Hamilton and then Claremont and then how now Brown County to the lovely village of Ripley, Ohio, on the banks of the Mighty Ohio River. On Main Street. There's a place called Brookies, and the gang is waiting. Good morning, gang, good wing. First question I have have you have you? Have you found Darren?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Okay, good I was worried about you when you didn't show up at the Bounson's on New Year's Eve. Now we didn't make it either, but our reasons were, you know, couldn't couldn't be avoided. We were just worried about you. We thought you might have joined the cook in jail.
Speaker 5: I go a line.
Speaker 7: We went out earlier that day. I woke it up at seven thirty.
Speaker 2: Seven next seven thirty the next morning or seven thirty. I mean, I've I know, I know some day drinkers, believe me, And that would be something. If you go out early in the day and you don't wake up till seven thirty the next morning, you tied one on. There's no question.
Speaker 7: I met up with Uncle Merle.
Speaker 12: That's Jerry's brother, Merle is.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you what Merle is something else you think you think Jerry Jones is a piece of work. You got to meet Merle. He's a great storyteller.
Speaker 5: Absolutely he is.
Speaker 2: And and you know what, you kind of see where Ernie gets it at that point. O lord, Uncle Merle, I've got you know what I've got. I've got an aunt Merle that calls me and she is nothing like Uncle Merle. And I'm so glad that she's not. Who's all in attendance this morning?
Speaker 1: Oh Matt life, Si.
Speaker 2: Wow? LEXI got up for this.
Speaker 7: They they had to work last night.
Speaker 13: Oh okay, I was gonna say that that girl's got to get better standards, got top line standards.
Speaker 2: A better class and losers. Baby? Uh So who else? Matt and Lexi? Who else?
Speaker 12: Lisa and Dinah are here? The you know the friendly dog.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thought I heard Lisa chirping in there somewhere, and this morning you were gonna what what what what? Lisa?
Speaker 12: Oh no, I said, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I hear you, babe. Usually you can't, we can't stop you from talking. You're just kind of quiet this morning, that is true.
Speaker 12: I don't know, it's just kind of change in spirit.
Speaker 1: Lightly new year.
Speaker 2: Oh new Year. Knew you, that's right, baby. And obviously the oil bearon of Brown County, and I know the green hornet? Is there hornet? What's the weather going to be like this weekend?
Speaker 12: Well, it's just gonna be about thirty five today. I don't think we're gonna have they rain for quite a while, it seems like.
Speaker 5: But it's gonna warm up into the fifties, almost the sixty in the next week and the next week.
Speaker 7: So it's good.
Speaker 2: That is good. Let's just cancel the rest of winter. Anyway. I'm done.
Speaker 7: I'm all to that.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go ahead and stand out in the street on Wednesday nights for another Queen of Hearts and enjoy the nice weather. That'll be fun too.
Speaker 8: Allot it says they lock their bar back and I don't like it so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So anything going on particularly special at Brooks Brookies this weekend.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 7: Wait, it's that time of the year where you know the holidays are over.
Speaker 5: It seems like nobody gets out, so well.
Speaker 2: We need to we need to arrange a farewell to our appearance here in the new year.
Speaker 9: Darren st that'll be great, all right, whenever you ready?
Speaker 2: All right, fantastic. Well, you guys have a fantastic weekend. It's great to talk to you as always, and it's nice to know that nothing changes except Lisa doesn't talk anymore. Bye. Our friend Steve from Edna, Ohio waiting in the wings and we'll get his pithy comments and a thoughtful commentary news of the week coming up the first Saturday of the new year. Garry Jeff Walker with me on seven hundred w l W. Last year was a fantastic year in many respects for this program because of our next guest, our next contributor, and he is back to start twenty twenty six with some thoughtful insights on instant gratification and other things. Our friend Steve from at Ohio. Good morning, Stephen, Good.
Speaker 11: Morning Gary, Jeff Wow woke up this morning, I realized that Maduro just entered the transfer portal. Anyway, Okay, let's get serious for a moment, instant gratification. I'm trying to carry everything from twenty five into twenty six. You remember, I know you do. A month or so ago, I went back and researched the last ninety years of the first mid election when a president comes in, and I couldn't. I think I was unable to find a single example Republican or Democrat, didn't matter of one where he since we've never had a female president, actually gained seats in the House. And this is a critical issue of course this year, because the Republicans are darn close to losing the House of Representatives if we can't get the damn Republicans off the couch and out to vote. By the way, FDR lost something in the neighborhood of eighty House seats, somewhere between sixty and eighty in nineteen thirty four. That was his first midterm election. You know what, it didn't matter. He already had about three and forty because of the landslide election of thirty two. But it's something to think about. I was on this instant gratification thing. I think that's what it's all about. I think people in the United States, I don't know if this covers other countries, and other times they elect somebody enthusiastically, like they did with FDR and like they did with Donald Trump recently, and then it just all goes away, you know. They go back to their jobs, they go back to their families, and they forget the midterm election. But maybe there's a subtle reason Americans want instant gratification. They think that when Trump you know, mentioned something like tariffs and the advantage of coming down on some of these countries, they think, ooh ooh, mothers, so two months, three months, four months, six months, we're in fat city. No. No, in economics, youve got to be a little patient. Sometimes it takes the year, takes two years. This is a real, real problem, and I'm disturbed that some of the financial gurus even have jumped on this, you know, like, Okay, what's happening with terriffs, Where's you know, the the advantage that we're going to get out of this. And of course, right in the middle of this, we got the Supreme Court sitting on the tariff case, and it may be not until October that they make a decision. And will that decision comple reverse everything that's been done. Well, that's kind of interesting. Let me give you a second second example. Donald Trump is a very enthusiastic guy and quite different from the previous president. And I think that on the subject of Ukraine, which he tried to tackle right away, It's been eleven months and to my thinking, nothing has changed. I think Donald Trump want an instagratification. He thought I can bring him together, so you know, he meets Putin and Alaska. He talked to Zelenski several times in the White House. This is deeply disturbing because and I'll end with this, I have listened very carefully this week to the analysts talk about, you know, Ukraine, what's going to happen now? Well, I think there's one of three things that can happen with regard to the Soviets, and this is the second Soviet incursion into Ukraine, which started under Barack obamp Albama when they took Crimea and they had its advance. You have to remember that Russia has been after Ukraine for at least two hundred years and there have been skirmishes, wars, off and on with regard to this, well, number one is they can allow Russia to have what it's already taken. Okay, obviously there's a lot of disagreement on that. Number two would be the Yugoslavian example from American history. You of course remember the dat and accords that were signed at Roy Patterson and my son who graduated from West Point was one of the peacekeepers who as a result of that agreement, went over to what used to be Yugoslavia is now eight different countries if I remember, and he was a peacekeeper, and peacekeepers are designed to be standing in between two warring factions, kind of like an NFL official when a fight breaks out. Yeah. Maybe. And finally the possibility is a playbiff site. In other words, we let the people in the don esque is that Alex pronounced region and others that the Second Soviet has taken over. Let them decide which they want to do. Do they want to be in Ukraine or do they want to be in Russia. In northern Ireland, the six counties there are thirty two counties on the island of Ireland. The six counties north of course, went with the British Empire and the twenty six counties in the South agreed one hundred years ago to accept an Irish Republic and they declared themselves separate.
Speaker 2: And how long did that take?
Speaker 11: Steve, Oh, the Irish I go to the very sad time in Irish history, the Battle of Boying. I think the other day I was trying to figure out how many years that was from Boying when the bridge is decimated and Irish freed.
Speaker 2: When you're talking about instant gratification, and let me just wrap this up up in a bow. On the economy, Reagan got the tax cuts passed in eighty one eighty two after he'd been shot. We didn't come out of recession because of those tax cuts until nineteen eighty three. Donald Trump has been in office eleven months. It's almost almost a year. So it's going to take another at least six months for all these tax cuts and all this deregulation to kick in, and hopefully it happens by June or July, so people get enthusiastic again. As far as the instant gratification goes, as far as Ukraine and Russia, you so succinctly pointed out that Russia and has been trying to take Ukraine for at least a couple of centuries. That situation is not going to be over quickly, regardless of how it's resolved. And again, people, you're right in in this day and age of the not twenty four hour news cycle, but the fifteen minute news cycle, are having a hard time digesting the fact that it's taken so long. When Donald Trump's been in office for a year, the ultimate deal maker, Uh huh so, yeah, instant gratification probably could be measured by about a four or five year stance rather than an eleven or twelve month stance.
Speaker 11: Give me thirty seconds for one last. All of these gurus, once again in economics and in the media, are talking about the fact that we didn't have a Christmas rally. Normally we do have a Christmas rally on the stock market. We didn't. We had four straight days where apparently it went down. I'm screaming at my radio at these people saying, for God's sake, of course the market went down. People were selling, and they were selling an anticipation of their tax forms in April will reflect what Donald Trump did the year before. So that's another example.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, happy new Year.
Speaker 11: I waiting for twenty twenty six. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's hear and so are we real quickly? Brother Race got in Loveland. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 14: Good morning Gary, Jeff, good morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And by the way, on the market, I mean.
Speaker 14: S and P was up seventeen plus percent for the year, for goodness sakes, I mean, come on, Ed, we're talking about a president who has quietly, under the radar, reduced the federal workforce by almost ten percent, which is mind boxing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 14: Mind And do you think that you know people instant gravitation on doge? Do you think is there any way possibly that after our pre and was sworn in and then Elon Musk and his brilliant team went in there and caught all kind of hubl because they got the receipts. And I can only imagine that that some of the discoveries we're still finding out about. What about this fraud. They've got the receipts. They've got to trust a man, trust the plan. All right now, I'm going to end on this, all right, and this is for Liam. Liam perk up. When it comes to Lynette it's two things. Remember fried chicken, ginger snaps.
Speaker 2: God bless you brother, Oh dating tips for Liam six point fifty seven at seven Otter who held twenty six. It is all kinds of breaking news. Well just remember when news breaks, our news department will try and fix it. Every time seven sent some change. Gary, Jeff Walker and you together again on a Saturday morning. And our old friend are And I don't mean old relating to his age at all. I mean a guy that has been a regular part of Saturday mornings along with me for you know, twenty plus, maybe twenty five years, I don't know. You used to do the Saturday Morning round Table back in the day. And here he is environmental engineer Steve Shulty with an environmental moment or two. Do you remember the Saturday Morning Roundtable, Steve?
Speaker 7: Yes, I do.
Speaker 9: When I started that, I started joining that March February March at two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the show's been on since mid February of nineteen ninety seven with me doing it, hosting it. And so about four years in you joined. And who did we have? We had? We had we had Kevin, We had Dave Fisher from up in Dayton with us on on various Saturday mornings. Sensible Don Lewis God rest his soul had We had a lot of unique characters in here, and uh, well, you know, would you rather be a character or have it? That's always the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we're talking about We're going to talk about atmospheric rivers.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just comes from at a glance dot com. If you want to learn more about, go and you search for atmospheric rivers. So, and the reason I picked at this topic is that the term atmospheric river is often erroneously used by the media to link uh anime catastrophic climate change to excessive rainfall event, especially in the West Coast. Well, I found out that, uh, you know, this is a a very common uh event that's been going on for millenniums and basically it's when the atmosphere transports moist air from the tropics to higher altitudes.
Speaker 1: For us, it.
Speaker 9: Basically a lot of moisture comes from originating in Asia, moves all the way across the Pacific Ocean to the West Coast where it hits has some high winds, and of course in the West Coast hits the mountains of California, Washington, and Oregon, and they get a lot of rain and snow and whatnot, so it's not an uncommon event. In fact, Gary Jeffs known as the Great Flood of eighteen sixty two. It was the largest in California's quote unquote recorded history. Weeks of continuous rains and snows and high elevations began in November in nine, eighteen sixty one, continued till January eighteen sixty two, and this event dumped in an equivalent of ten feet We're not talking ten ingents ten seat on California as rain and snow over forty three days. The events flooded the Sacramento Valley, including Sacramento itself, causing the capital will be moved temporarily to San Francisco. The USDs Survey, in the Geological Survey, investigated these what they call atmospheric river events by drilling core samples in San Francisco band land and marsh settiments throughout California. The study positively identified the Great Flood of eighteen sixty two via stream grable samples, but an interesting Gary Jeb core samples indicated similar or even more devastating flooding occurred in this area in eighty two, twelve, four, forty six, three twenty nine, fourteen eighteen, and sixteen oh five, roughly every two hundred.
Speaker 2: Years, So it happens. It happens with regularity in the history.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and this all happened before quote unquote recorded history. And I've been talking about this all the time. Just because something is the worst in recorded history doesn't mean it has always been the worst, right. So just yes, concluded that these six megastorms were more severe than eighteen sixty one sixty two, and it's interesting they said, there's no reason to believe similar events will not occur again.
Speaker 11: So uh.
Speaker 9: And not only that, Noah, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have done their own, our own government computer model simulations of the what they call arre phenomena, and they do not support claims that these events are likely to become more severe numer in the future. But once again, as I said many times before, just because something is the worst or the highest or the lowest in recorded history doesn't mean it has always been. So, as I always like to say, Gary, Jeff, you know, in digitous Indians here in North America did not have thermometers in flood gages outside your tepees.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: And you know this kind of goes back to the instant gratification thing that Steve from EDNA was talking about. Well, yeah, people want to be assured that they have all the information possible at the instant that they wanted. And the fact of the matter is you can go back, as you have done millennia to find out that this is nothing new. And the bottom line, Steve, is that the climate always changes with or without us. Thank you so much and happy New Year. It's seven twelve It seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: Some scientists believe early Man began speaking between fifty thousand and two million years ago to teach each other how to make stone tools.
Speaker 2: Oh, sub jug what wrong? Stupid rock? School driver not work? You have slotted rock? You need phillips rock. Oh it common mistake.
Speaker 15: And thanks to our Paleolithic predecessors, we have the Eddie and Rocky Show. They want to hear what you have to say. Eddie and Rocky Monday after noon at three on seven hundred WLW. Get the podcast of their show on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Time now for the Tom Davis Diaries. I like your per disease as a the first of the new year, Wild wacky stories from around the country and around the world. Ladies and gentlemen, you're correspondent.
Speaker 16: Good morning Gary, Jeff. One way or another, I'm gonna find that dog. But first, a Temple woman almost got away with it by pretending to be her twin sister A million More Holland was pulled over for driving erratically. When cops asked her for ID, she handed over her twin sisters travers license. You see, Amelia didn't have a license. Hers was suspended, but she looks an awful lot like her twin sister. Somehow the cops on scene figured it out and she was arrested with a blood alcohol content of point six, which sounds like a lot ready to get away after the holidays. There's a hotel giving away free rooms in a Biza. It's a double bed and a bathroom. What's the catch, Well, one of the walls is glass, so people can see you from the street. You have to sign a waiver and be patient with all the cell phone photography, and it's a one night limit. But otherwise, if you don't mind, it's free. Tough times for the human waste business United Site Services has filed for bankruptcy. They are one of the biggest players in the game of porta potties. They're twenty four billion dollars in debt. Since COVID, the number of outdoor events and activities just continues to dwindle each year and it's having a devastating impact on their business.
Speaker 2: It's pretty crappy.
Speaker 16: And finally, his name is Jonah Singer, and he's a guy in Utah who really wants to find his lost dog. Jonah called the cops and asked if they would help. They told him no, we are not coming out for a lost dog. So Jonah decided to do some things that might draw officers out in hopes that he could then talk them into helping him find the dog. But he may have got a little out of hand here. He started by breaking car windows, and then he started breaking the windows into his apartment complex. And then he decided to pour gasoline down the public stairwell in hopes of lighting a fire to get their attention. Luckily, cops got there before he did. He was arrested for attempt at arson and damaging private property. And still no one has found the dog. Next week, she thought she was having a baby. Instead, she birthed a twenty two pounds cyst. Oh have a great weekend and a happy new year.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this first Saturday of twenty twenty sixth January third, it is Gary Jeff Walker. In My new year's resolution is to stop worrying about my enhanced performance. Just just don't care anymore. I have to ask the missus about that time for our first Science Minute of the new year with our old friend Science might about six minutes after the hour.
Speaker 10: By the way, yes as a nightly scientist, he surprising of the now blinding me.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Michael, Oh, how you doing. Happy New Year, Happy new year to you. Are you Are you resolving to do anything in the new year?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was. I was. I'm gonna use less body wash on my bufftuff. I think I used. I think I'm gonna I use too much. I don't need all that all that ladder a toothpaste on the toothbrush. I'm just going to cut that back too. I just think I'm wasting too much on personal hygiene stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Uh, there is a gym I saw somewhere that is not allowing any new memberships in January. They're gonna wait till February because they're going to cut out the pretenders right away, because these people are going to cancel their membership after a month if that long, and just they're just a waste of time. So, which I thought was a fantastic kind of take on the new year. No new memberships in January.
Speaker 6: There, I look it up. I guess find if I looked hard enough to mathematically, they determined that I don't remember these like February eighteenth as a date that typically is like when everybody drops off the membership roles don't go anymore. So I get take like a month and a half when we're done, which is funny how it cooperates what you just said, and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people just go like two or three times and that's it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you know, why wouldn't you just why wouldn't you care about your physical fitness all the time and you you don't start thinking about it until December thirty. First, it doesn't make any sense. Oh, I tell you, I tell you what though, Mike, I haven't I haven't tested my blood sugar lately, but I bet it is through the roof after the holidays. I got to get back on track, seriously.
Speaker 6: Man, Yeah, I'm almost up to throw some stuff out right now because I think too.
Speaker 5: Much of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: I lowered my my thumber stack, Gary Jeff because the warmth of collectivism that is pervading my sense. After the mayor Ole speech in New York, I just feel like my rugged individualism is no longer needed to cut my own grass or split my wood. I just feel like I'm waiting for everybody to show up at my house to cut my grass and shovel my snow and split wood and get my grocries. You know, a collectivism type thing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You know what Here's this is an interesting thing. The point that you make is valid, but it definitely it relates exactly to what happened to Venezuela. Venezuela was once a rich country, oil rich, and the people did pretty well until Hugo Chavez brought socialism and then, you know, basically a dictatorship to that country, and Maduro followed in his footsteps. At the behest of the drug cartels, Venezuela has fallen into the pit of socialism, and it should be a warning to the people of New York City or anywhere else in this country where they're discovering socialism and how wonderful it is. It always ends the same way, and it's not because the people who tried it before didn't do it right. It always ends like this.
Speaker 6: Actually, the Catholic bishop just slammed it also the same way you just did. It was I was surprised by it. But that Bishop Baron came out totally. He's like, basically he said, oh, give me a break. This never works.
Speaker 2: This, I mean, this is what if it continues. This is what the people in this country have in store. They have the example of Venezuela, they have the example of Cuba. They have many examples of this through the centuries. How socialism does not work and it won't work this time.
Speaker 6: And don't confuse. Don't confuse the idea of being each other's good shepherd as far as helping each other out with this collectivism idea, the two are totally separate. Me coming over to help you out if you need something is one thing. Making me give up what I got to help you out isn't voluntary and isn't being a good shepherd that that's totally there's a dichotomy there that they just don't understand.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Do you have any do you have any science stuff?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 6: When we talked a lot, we'll we'll pick it up next week on the ur on on the article is going to do today, we'll we'll do it next week.
Speaker 2: All right, So yeah, that's you.
Speaker 6: Want me to really quickly talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, quickly, quickly, go ahead.
Speaker 1: We got science Science.
Speaker 6: This came Science Norway, Science Norway. It's called that's what the article the magazine is called Science Doorway. So when we'll the next ice age come? And basically every million, every million years, they've every hunt occurs every one hundred thousand years of ice age, so like you know, uh, they have periods between ice ages of ten to fifteen thousand years and sometimes longer. For example, these warning periods between ice ages can last from one hundred thousand down to twenty twenty one thousand years. And that's because of the thing you called the Milankovich cycle, and that's where the Earth's orbit around the Sun goes from elliptical to circular, and right now we're in a circular orbit around the Sun, and we don't have really extreme temperature one way or the other because of that of that orbit. Now, the question was when will the next ice age occur? And this is interesting that the researchers in this article said, and I'll say to estimate the next ice age is about fifty thousand years away, regardless of how much current CO two we have. So you know what, basically the same it's going to happen. It's just not happened as fast now, maybe not because of CO two, but maybe because of deforestation and you know, man, you know other things like that. But you can't say it's going to happen on a certain date. But when Chicago starts to get buried under three miles of ice, man might start pumping CO two in the atmosphere. It's an interesting like.
Speaker 2: Like that'll help. Isn't it weird how the temperature on Earth directly relates to our relationship with the Sun. It's amazing. Thank you science, Mike. A good start to the new year, eight twelve. The good news still reign supreme on this show, and our Bible Verse is brought to you by Brother Rick Green. Once again, God's blessings upon you brother, how are you?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 7: Good morning Gary, and happy New Years everyone.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year's tame awesome.
Speaker 7: Gary.
Speaker 17: I have the thought with the announcement, Gary, their worst ministry is different now. I'm gonna feed the homeless when I get off the phone with you. But I'm only gonna be able to do it now. Want a month, thet every weekend. My life's a different instance. Retirement from getting paid weekly to get paid wants a month. I didn't see that side of it. It's just different now. But I'm gonna do what I can. I know God, I'm blest my efforts.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you've been doing this quite a while, and it will continue, like you said, into the new year, and God will make a way for you. I know, yes he will, Yes, he will agree.
Speaker 6: This June will be ten years.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bombed.
Speaker 17: Out the past couple of days, and God just told me to let it go.
Speaker 2: Do what you can. It's right, that's right. He knows exactly, He knows exactly what you can handle. Hey man.
Speaker 17: And today we have paverb Top three eleven, verse twenty five in couse of what we're talking about today.
Speaker 2: It says a.
Speaker 17: Generous person will Poper. Whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 2: I whant it, Garry, It's great, Say say it again, Rick, repeat the verse.
Speaker 17: Uh PAVERB Chapter eleven, verse twenty five. A gunner person will pop wherever reflesh the other will be reflected.
Speaker 2: I see, I feel refreshed already. Amen, brother, God bless you, and happy New Year. Time to turn the page. Another kind of word from that Teresa. Good morning that.
Speaker 12: Teresa Grese and salutations, Gary Jeff, Happy New Year to you and all the wonderful people out there in radio land.
Speaker 1: How art thou so far today?
Speaker 5: Gary Jeff?
Speaker 1: How you do it?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good? How you doing?
Speaker 12: I'm finers in the tip of an arrow from the hunter gathered tribe that's the Avas, and it's an isolated tribe in Brazil, the Amazon. That's pretty darn fine. Let me tell you right now, oh really quick. Bo Jangles Bill Bojangles Robinson and Shirley Temple were the first first mixed couple holding well.
Speaker 1: He was black, she was white. Yah, they held hands, nineteen thirty five.
Speaker 12: The Little Colonel, It's It's I Love Shirley Temple.
Speaker 7: Nobody's gonna take that from me.
Speaker 12: Nobody is gonna condemn me for watching my Shirley Temple movies.
Speaker 1: And that's all there is to it.
Speaker 12: Oh, may I think just something to your wonderful listeners out there on a rainy day. They need to go to your podcast. Okay, pull up any random podcast of yours. Most I think I recommend Saturday mornings, and and what you need to do is you need to listen to it and read the transcript sink it like the Wizard of Ouds, only with Pink Floyd.
Speaker 1: Only this works better.
Speaker 12: You need to listen and read it. Because there are I don't know who it is. I'm not gonna blame Liam because I don't think it's him, but there are typhos and they're almost funnier than the show sometime, actually my my segment especially, But there's there's just a little treat for you guys, for something to do when you're not doing anything.
Speaker 1: The word of this day, I think it's fitting.
Speaker 12: It's a fitting. Speaking of fitting, it's connection. Now people say they're.
Speaker 7: Having a conniption fit.
Speaker 12: Actually a conniption is a bit. It's it's being hysterical, being out of source. So if you're saying I'm having a conniption fit. It's like saying I'm having a fit fit. Say just now say conniption, or say don't have a hissy fit.
Speaker 1: Well, God bless you.
Speaker 11: What if?
Speaker 2: What if in lieu of conniption I just say I'm having that? Teresa, it's eight twenty you read W l W. Good Morning kids, time foll gives from Walde. Remember things could always be worse. Local farmer walks into the saloon sees a local tractor salesman sitting there, head down, obviously upset, drowning his sorrows in his beers. What's up, John, I said, Gosh, Bob, I'll tell you what. If I don't sell a tractor soon, I'm gonna have to close up my shop after twenty years. He said, Now, John, thanks would be worse. John says, how do you figure? Said, well, John, you know my ornery cow Bessie. I went to milker this morning and she just kept flicking her tail in my face. So I grabbed a piece of rope and I tied the tail to the rafter. Then the nasty thing went and kicked the bucket away, so I tied her leg to the wall of the stall. Then she kicked my stool right out from underneath me. I was out of rope, so I took my belt off and used it to tie her other leg to the other side of the stall. Well, wouldn't you just know it? My pants fell down, and just then my wife came into the barn. John, If you can convince my wife that I was in there to milk that cow, I'll buy a new tractor from you. Time to talk some sports and our buddy Mowaggar's standing by.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mo, what's going on?
Speaker 2: As I'm watching the coverage of college football and the playoffs and everything else, I was noticing a fine and respected commentator. He came from the print media and has been a part of you know, mainstream media for quite a while on television, Paul finebaumb And I was noticing the size of the ears on the man. I and you know, physicality has nothing to do with his abilities obviously as a as a critiquer of an expert in college football. But those are some satellite dishes, man, I tell you what, Dude's amazing, but the ears may be even more amazing. Your thoughts.
Speaker 1: As far as large ears on television go He's a one seed, along with the voice of the Cleveland Browns and a friend of my show, Andrew Ceciliano. If you haven't seen Andrew Siciliano's ears, I encourage you to google them. And Paul Finebaumb's on par with Andrews amazing stuff. I mean, he could cancel all his subscriptions. It probably just goes straight into his all right. That being said, something has to be done.
Speaker 2: They have to fix this transfer transfer portal somehow, some way, And because because I think it's totally messed up. I've always thought it was messed up that coaches could leave if their team had another game to play, I mean in the middle of essentially in the middle, especially the way these playoffs are set up now, especially if you know Lane Kiffin is just the latest example. I understand, but and and players leaving before their bowl game, leaving before a chance to play for a national championship, and it just it really rubs me the wrong way. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Speaker 1: It's it doesn't seem sustainable. No. I don't know how in the absence, though of collective bargaining, we get things brained in. I mean, I think everybody has the same basic complaints, and like, I don't think anybody wants things to go back to the old way, where you know, a kid was beholden to a coach or a program or a compliance department if he or she wanted to leave. I don't think anybody wants it to go back to the old way where if your coach leaves, you're stuck at the school that the coach has departed from. I think some degree of player movement that is less, less restrictive would be something we would all be in favor of. I don't think anybody wants it to go back to the way it was, but to be the way it is right now where you know. I'll just use the game I was at last night as an example. The Derek Hats said, no chance to win that football game because, with exceptions, most of their most important players didn't play in the football game. And so I think it does a couple of different things that it tarnishes the product. It makes the experience of being a fan less enjoyable. Fans feel like they have less connection to the players in their program, and then by extension, they have less of a connection to their program. But I think we've all identified the problem. I don't know that I've heard anybody who has a legitimate solution. You know, the reality is college sports have become professionalized, and I'm on board with a lot of it.
Speaker 2: I want the guys to get paid.
Speaker 1: I want college athletes to be able to get every dime they can. There's nothing wrong with that. The pendulum has slung too far in favor of the players. But I don't know how it goes back the other way. In professional football, we have rules. In professional basketball, we have rules, same with Major League Baseball, the NHL, Major League Soccer, that are collectively bargained that are agreed upon by both sides. In the absence of that, somehow happening in college sports, I don't know how things change. I don't know how the pendulum swings back, not all the way to the way that it was, but to some happy medium that allows for players to have. We're a freedom of movement from school to school, less restrictive transfer rules, the ability to earn a name, image and likeness, money, the ability to earn a share of the profits created by you know, college sports and media deals. I don't know how we find the happy medium without collective bargaining, and in many states, federal employees are not allowed to collectively bargain, which is what if college athletes were made employees in many states they would be. So I know what the problems are, I don't know what the solutions are.
Speaker 2: I have one word for you, and it relates directly to University of Cincinnati's opponent. Maybe the word is commitment. You make a commitment to a program, whether you were a coach or a player. If you're going to get paid, you have a contract. If you're going to consider yourself professional, you have a contract. And same way in the NFL, when people sign a contract, they have to honor their commitment. What about my word is my bond? I think it's as simple as that, Mo, and I think that's how you have to legislate this in collective bargaining or any other way that you try and fix it, is you go back to that one word, commitment. If you make a commitment, you have to honor that commitment until the terms of that commitment are up, whether you're a coach or a player. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck getting to assigned contracts again. Sounds austome and I don't disagree at the end of the day that there's probably you know, the solution, make the players sign contracts. But that's not what's happening right now. I mean, it's you know, it's to the point and coaches have talked about this where an athlete agrees to come to a certain school and basically play for a certain amount of money, right and then once they've enrolled in the school, once they have started practicing, they can go to the coach and say I need more money or I'm not going to play. You can't do that in professional sports, you can't. You know, you can say I'm not going to play, but you can't go play for another team or another school. You could do that. And by the way, this works with coaches as well. You know, Lane Kiffin at LSU just hired two coaches from South Carolina who were introduced as new assistant as new assistant coaches with the Game Cops programs. Just a couple of weeks ago. They made commitment. I'm imagining they sign contracts and before they even coach a practice they jumped to another school. And so you know, I again, I was at the game last night. I wish there were a number of UC players that would have said, you know what, I'm going to honor my commitment to my teammates, I'm going to honor my commitment to my school, and I'm going to go ahead and finish the season. Nobody on any side of this seems interested really in doing that. And I think in the absence again, in the absence of collective bargaining, you are going to have an impossible time legislating commitment in high major college football and in high major college basketball.
Speaker 2: U it seems pretty cut and dry to me. And if you require coaches to honor their commitment, require players to honor their commitment, sign contracts, whatever, that's what needs to happen, doctor Dennis Rutt.
Speaker 1: But who, but who, who? Who imposes that requirement. College football doesn't have a legislating body, college basketball doesn't have a legislative body. The NCUBA is not some independent organization. The NCUBA is just merely the collection of schools. And so what many have.
Speaker 2: Said, it used to it used to be a legislative body that could suspend programs, and it used to be. Why is it not.
Speaker 1: Because the ncuba's record in court is abusinal and at the end of the day. That's at the root of all this. Every time the NCUBA goes to court, they lose. They so they have essentially, in you know, in so many words, they have essentially stopped fighting. They have essentially stopped trying to impose rules because every time they go to court, they lose. So if you're governing body can't legislate the sport because courts don't let them for whatever reason, then they're powerless. So what college football needs is a commissioner. Now, commissioners in pro sports work for the owners. Is the commissioner in college football going to work for the schools and serve at their mercy? Good question, But it's at least somebody whose job is to be the caretaker of the sport. Same for men's college basketball, same for women's college basketball. But the reason why we're here is the group that is supposed to be the governing body of college sports, which the NCAA is nothing more than a collection of all these schools, has been proven to be powerless in every single court case it has been involved in.
Speaker 2: Well, I just better lawyers, and I can't believe I'm saying that. So doctor Dennis from Annapolis wanted to ask, how come there are five and seven teams and bulls.
Speaker 1: Well, if you don't have enough six win teams, then they start going down.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there are.
Speaker 1: Academic progress rates that are in play here, but.
Speaker 2: Lot so college football actually cares about academics now.
Speaker 1: No, and nor do college football fans, let's be honest. Let's be painfully honest about that. Nor do college football fans. If there aren't enough bowl eligible teams at six and six, or if they have schools like for instance, Notre Dame that decide to not play and they've got to fill bull slots, they next go to the five and seven teams and they go into order of the APR. In fact, the University of Akron, I think, was the first school in quite a while that at five and seven was ineligible for a bowl because the team's collective APR was below standards, so they didn't make it. But the reason is, if there aren't enough six and six teams, or are there aren't enough teams that are eligibility to fill all the ball slots, then they start inviting five and sevent seams and reward them for losing more games than they won.
Speaker 2: How sad is that if you're from Akron, your team is below five hundred, and it can't qualify for a bowl because you also suck in school. It's just crazy, you know. I saw Rice yesterday, and Rice, of course is used to playing corn, barley and wheat. They were no match for Texas State or whoever they played. Let's talk real quickly about what's right with college football and what you've seen so far. Give me just a thumbnail.
Speaker 1: What's right about college football is the positive impact of the way we do business now has created opportunities for schools like Indiana to be really good. And the expansion of the playoffs and the fact that we don't have quarterfinal games on campus sites the way we do in the first round have created a newness in the final four that frankly, I think is refreshing. I think the issue with college football what the fourteen playoff was that felt like we had the same schools every year. We're either going to have three a school that hasn't won a national title before or one that hasn't won one since early this century. And I think that's fun, and I think that's refreshing. And look, at the end of the day, as troublesome, as a lot of things in college football are. And again we've identified the issues. I think we all agree on what some of the issues are. We haven't come up with solutions. But at the end of the day, folks are still watching. Stadiums are still full, the games usually are still really really good. Look at Old miss and Georgia the other night, and you know, I mean, I hear a lot of people say college football is broken. I haven't heard many people who have claimed to be college football fans who say they're not watching. In fact, these bowl games, which have never been less meaningful before yesterday, all of the non playoff ball games, the ratings were up thirteen percent. So people still find the games appealing. And I think if you watched, you know, for instance, again that Sugar Bowl the other night, you can see why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Indiana has a chance to do something that only one other division school in the history of college sports is done, to have both an undefeated basketball season and an undefeated football season. The only other one is UCLA, And I think that's exciting about this this year.
Speaker 1: Could not agree more the Indiana story. Kirk Sinnetti Fernana Mendoza for that school which you know, there are schools that have been really good in college football, but just not in the upper crust. Indiana has been a college football afterthought for uh, basically its entire existence. And I remember in the late eighties they had a running back named Anthony Thompson who was terrific and was must watch TV. But you know Don Fish, the longtime voice of IU Sports. I think over his fifty three years, no one saw more losses than Don Fisher. And so for folks with that program to get a chance to enjoy with their going through right now, I think is just aust absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think you're awesome too, man, thanks for us spending some more time with us in Happy new year. Mo Mowger counselor Hey, what's up big news this morning? Tell you what, as I said, Nicholas Maduro has entered the transfer portal.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know where he's getting transferred to. He's getting transferred to the Crowbar Hotel.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, And I found it ironic, and I mentioned this at the beginning of the show and another time throughout the show, and I told you about this. It was exactly thirty six years ago today that Manuel Noriego was extracted by the US forces out of Panama, out of the Vatican embassy or whatever, and exactly the same situation drug charges. Maduro is going to face them. He was indicted six years ago.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: President Trump had every right to do it, no matter what the Democrats or the news department said. Well even some.
Speaker 18: Republicans Mike Lee from Utah, he's pissing and moaning about it. Why can't you just take pride in your country for doing something like this and removing a deskpot.
Speaker 2: You know what else is on this Saturday, midde Well, that's going to be a big part of it.
Speaker 18: But at ten o'clock we're going to be talking to Russ Neville, former Cincinnati police captain and brother of the police chief who they are trying still trying to find a reason to hang their hat on to fire. We're going to talk to Russ about that boy th The Nebell family is a premier law enforcement family in this town and they ain't taking this sitting down. So he'll be in studio live at ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: Fantastic After the show show at Huddles, we got NFL football today, playoffs starting around four o'clock. I hope you come and join us, and a nightcap on Tuesday night, on the five year anniversary of January sixth, we will have some January sixth six ers with us, not the Philadelphia seventy six ers, but January six ers, proud Patriots with us, and I hope you'll join me.