Speaker 1: The News Chunkie starts now.
Speaker 2: It is Monday, August third, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Lots to get to today, from say.
Speaker 2: Goodbye to radio to the most insane pick a side We've ever done in details on the in and out shooter in Idaho, plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text, Sam more Sea Lane is.
Speaker 1: Here, halloo, so are you?
Speaker 2: You can join us, send us a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie.
Speaker 1: Dot com or in the app right now. You can also.
Speaker 2: Watch the show on YouTube and Twitch dot tv slash the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: Your message is rolling a right in the studio in real time.
Speaker 2: Hows everybody doing on a Monday?
Speaker 1: How are you good? Good? Good?
Speaker 2: We got a big, big week ahead of us. Here, got some news for folks tomorrow. We're going to be leaking out and we got some exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: On the way.
Speaker 2: And I've saved this this day's opening clip for.
Speaker 3: The entirety of the weekend. So you're not opening the show with this, are you?
Speaker 1: I am? I am sent to me.
Speaker 2: More people sent this to tips at the news Junkie dot com or opening clip today than anything in the past couple of months.
Speaker 1: You sent it to me and I said it. My feed was inundated with it.
Speaker 3: But I think that's because as soon as I watched it, I started interacting with people about it, and for some reason, Twitter's like this guy wants to see.
Speaker 1: This link over and over and over again. Here's more.
Speaker 2: Here you go, before we get into this opening clip that's going super viral.
Speaker 3: Right now, before I tell you why, I think it's a terrible idea to open the show with this.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see what happens here just a moment. I do want to say thanks to everybody who participated in our rate my blank for last week. Last week it was rate my Mess. Let's see I can go through very quickly and crown a winner. We had a lot of good entries, as per usual. Was there anything that stuck out to you? I meant to check it.
Speaker 3: On Friday and I just kind of got sidetracked in a bunch of ways.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of partial to this one. Somebody's bathtub so overfilled with crap that get in there at all. I think that's not bad. You can see all the submission see this one from high high led Mark.
Speaker 1: I think is how you say his name?
Speaker 3: I have I have a kind of a special place in my heart for that picture, because not only is the mess bad, but you're also using something that's not storage, yeah, for storage storage, And now you've got an entire piece of your house that you can't use, in this case a bathtub. Yeah, you're like your three bedroom, two bathroom just got knocked down a peg, right, Like, yeah, he's so crazy. I don't have it as bad as losing a bathroom, although I've known people who have like taken a shower that they don't use and kind of piled some stuff in there for a while. But my utility sink is just full of clean dishes that just needed somewhere to go, and now it's like, no sink.
Speaker 2: Get with it, my god, unbelievable. Congratulations to high led Mark. You are our winner for rate my blank last week. Rate my Mess, That's what it was. And rate my blank, if you don't know, is our distraction for the week. I've got a million things going on, we got drama, we got all sorts of stuff. There'll be fights, they'll be all kinds of things. But the rate my blank is a consistent distraction to keep us kind of isolated from all of this. Stuff and then having a little bit of fun along the way. So the Rate my Blank entering for this week, Cela, and this one is going to require us to have a lot of focus, to be absolutely cool under pressure, and to not laugh as much as possible, because we're going to do rate my Dad joke this week, and you send your audio dispatch of your of your absolutely knock them dead cheesiest Dad popsicle stick type jokes and if you make us laugh, you are in the running for the prize this week.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. If we are rating dad jokes, is there a point at which a dad joke fails to be dad and just is a joke, and that we have to disqualify you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, I think you're right. I think it can't be like too great of a joke. There has to be a cheeseball factor to.
Speaker 1: It, right. And also I don't think it can't be too long. No, it has to be short.
Speaker 2: It's got to be fast, short, funny, and it has to make us laugh or you're not in consideration. That's our rate my Blank for this week. Rate my Dad joke. Good luck, everybody. Send your submissions in over at the News junkie dot Com or the news Junkie app. Let's get started. Now, let's put our ears of the ground, our fingers on the pulse liste. What's happening to this great, big, wide world of ours? Why is this a bad idea?
Speaker 3: I just I mean, it's a it's like a bad OMEN to start things off for the week.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I'm just gonna spider curse. Now you have not watched this, right, No, I've still not seen it. I don't know how I ignored it.
Speaker 3: So the backstory on this is there's a brand new women's pro baseball league.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: And now there used to be a women's pro league back in like the forties or fifties.
Speaker 1: A league of their own right, maybe that one Hanks was a coach in that league recollection.
Speaker 3: Correct, But it stopped and they're bringing back women's professional baseball. And this was the very first game, and before the very first game, this is how it started. This is how the Women's professional Baseball League started. And I want you to watch this and see if you think it is a good or negative OMEN for their organization and for their bad.
Speaker 1: Could it be?
Speaker 2: Let's see how it goes? You see, I underestimated, was so froun. Why did no one? Did no one tell these people that they are not good at singing?
Speaker 1: Did no one?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, I think, separately they are decent at singing. Although Martha Reeves, who is the black woman on who is three women, three women singing, and then Martha Reeves is by herself, and then these other two women are kind of together, but they're weirdly separated on the field by a matter of a handful of feet, right, uh huh. Martha Reeves was like, I don't know if you would call her a motown singer. She was an old school singer, best known for hits like heat Wave and Dancing in the Streets Are Good. Martha and the Vandellas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety five. She is a name in the music industry. Martha's also quite a bit older than she was when she was doing all this.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's not old enough to trust sound like that, all the wrack in other people's faces.
Speaker 1: Why we're so good?
Speaker 2: My patriotism is plumbing and the rock?
Speaker 1: Oh god, I can't is this real?
Speaker 2: Did they maybe stunt this up because they were like, nobody's gonna be talking about women's baseball.
Speaker 3: There are a handful of comments, and I listed my favorite ones, but there were there were a bunch of people who thought, could this possibly be a way to have made the inaugural game of women's pro baseball go viral? If this was on pro and if listen, that's the that's the conspiracy theory that I have not even for a second entertainment only because if you if it came out that you were trying of a stunt, a viral stunt to get attention for your league, and that stunt was to desecrate the national anthem, that is not a good look on you.
Speaker 2: CFL can't on Twitch says she would have sounded better if she sang alone.
Speaker 1: I disagree.
Speaker 2: Was first she is singing alone anymore? Who asked for this? Sty A lot of attention paid to that one player?
Speaker 1: Oh god, shut it down, the land on the and the whole. Yeah. I think I think they stunted this.
Speaker 2: There's no way, why, no, why would you do that? Because they have ears right like you just did such an injustice to these women that are playing professional baseball. For some reason, I have no idea why they launched this league or if there was really a desire for this. It looks like there's at least a handful of people in the stands, but you may have just driven them away, or just driven American citizens away as people saying please stop, please stop. Good guy, what are you guys doing insecure? Walriss, who knows about audio, goes it's just missing some lush reverb. I could have made it sound good, my friend. I'm sure you are very talented. You could not have made that sound good.
Speaker 1: Missing.
Speaker 3: That's definitely missing auto tune because it seemed to me that Martha Reeves and her two backup singers were in different keys for much of the.
Speaker 1: Different keys. My god, there was Oh that was bad.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that I didn't listen over the weekend so so I could have just kept it fresh.
Speaker 3: Now I kind of listed my favorites because there was there was a lot of good content in the comment. What they say over there reminds me of the Cowardly Lion and the Wizard of Oz, especially at the end because of the vibrato. I admire her ability to pick a key and just ignore it. There is no law that says you have to applaud after the national anthem?
Speaker 1: True somebody called it?
Speaker 3: And I was like, how have we made it through so many bad national anthems and not heard the star mangled banner?
Speaker 1: Oh nice? Everyone else?
Speaker 3: Roseanne and an apology after this, saw the same thing about Fergie. Even the flag was cringing, and I know she's trying her best, but can she try someone else's best?
Speaker 1: That was rough.
Speaker 2: Any ladies out there who picked up big on the new Women's Baseball League, let us know if there's actually some sort of interest in this or if this.
Speaker 3: Turned you off to And then I was a little bored yesterday and it was just like kind of hanging around the house, was just me and the and I watched this and then I was like, I'm reading through the comments, and there was one guy that was like, come on, guys, we've all seen worse. We're like from whom, Yeah, well you did worse if you're telling me that Fergie was worse than that. I went back and watched Fergi's yesterday and I was like, I don't I don't know what I would have said the first time, or maybe if I have heard Fergie's before and made derogatory comments. But I watched Fergus I was like, that wasn't bad at all. That wasn't that better than Bongo guys. Remember Bongo guys national anthem. Somebody mentioned that in one of the emails they sent you those guys. You mean, look look up Bongo national Anthem real quick to refresh your memory and and you'll you'll.
Speaker 2: See what I'm talking about. But that that was uh, I remember what you're talking about. Mama Greaser says, I loved it. I'm so excited for this league. That makes one of you, all right, that puts one on the board we already have.
Speaker 3: She saying she loved the national anthem, or she loved the game because the game I'm sure was excited. You know, there was a there was a home run that was scored. I saw Fritz reposted the video of the very first ever home run in the Women's Professional Baseball League at this game, and the comment section was like, could this female person that was, you know, like a not announcer. I guess the radio announcer whoever's making the call on ESPN sound any less excited.
Speaker 1: About this home run. We're gonna need you to pep it up a little bit. What happened?
Speaker 2: Did nobody bring their a game to the women's professional Baseball League?
Speaker 1: Hit the home run?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The one lady, the one player that was.
Speaker 3: They were zooming in on her during the national anthem and there was a particularly big f up in it, and she just kind of sucked her face in to like be void of any sort of of emotion.
Speaker 1: She held it in.
Speaker 2: Good Mama, Greaser says, I love the game, not the anthem. She was not a fan of the anthem, but the game. Yes, she did. Well, we'll see if it works out for HI. Might be a smart business move. Maybe nobody watches it all. We shall see.
Speaker 1: Let's sake, go to the box office this weekend. Mine, was it a big one? Spider Man web slung his way.
Speaker 2: Into your hearts, as they say, with an absolutely massive box office win.
Speaker 3: He made a short wealth, oh that's true. Yeah, caught a lot of cash in his web, just stop.
Speaker 2: Just short of the all time record at the box office set by Avengers Endgame spider Man Brand New Day brought in three hundred and fifty five million dollars, right, which is pretty insane to even consider.
Speaker 1: It was absolutely massive.
Speaker 2: It was because of that the biggest collective box office weekend in history.
Speaker 1: Why because Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Brand New Day was out of the world and the Odyssey was still bringing in a lot of money. So the box office brought in four hundred and thirty million dollars in ticket sales this weekend, thus making it the most Well, I mean, I'd like this to go back, by the way, I'd like this to go back to all of you people out there that were like, the movie theaters are dead, No one's ever going to go back to movie theaters.
Speaker 1: COVID changed everything.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: I said that. No I didn't. I said.
Speaker 2: I said, there's always going to be an appetite. I love going to the movies. I love going to the movies. There's always going to be an appetite for people who want to go and sit in the theaters. And it's a social experience, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but it's a social experience. This bigger and better than your screen on your television, and people love it. People enjoy this. Still as long as there's good movies. The problem is Hollywood has pumped out so much absolute garbage that nobody wanted to see it.
Speaker 1: And then they were like nobody wants to go to the movies anymore. Check the tape. Sean said it.
Speaker 2: Go go ahead, pull me, pull me, saying that somewhere, and I'll say, you are right.
Speaker 1: But I love the movies. I go to movies.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, the one speech dispatch. Possibly, but I think that this is proof that people still will pay for tickets to go see some of these movies if they're if they think that what's been happening with the ideas behind the movie and the production of the movie is something worthy of their money. And Spider Man brand new Dad three hundred and sixty million dollars officially, very very big. Tom Holland, just quit, buddy, just quit.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do? I mean, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like The Odyssey is number two, Your Spider Man movie is number one? What what is Zenda in both of them too? Or is it just Tom Holland?
Speaker 1: I think Zandias in both.
Speaker 2: And the Punisher guy the Punisher guys. And are we sayd that wrong?
Speaker 3: I think that somebody was coming after us last week when it was in DAYA. Maybe, Oh God, who cares say name? Perfect pronunciation of Zandia's name? Or is Endio or whatever. I think I said it the same way to let you get one Zendia, Thank you Zendia.
Speaker 2: But number one and number two at the box office with spider Man, Brand New Day and The Odyssey Toy Story five and at number three Minions and Monsters Mowana around and got the top five. Obsession finally knocked out of the top ten. Finally after twelve weeks, the Little Movie that Could gets knocked out. Now I've talked a bit about how ridiculous some of the things that the theater have gotten. Now I have complained about this, complain about price saying at the theater and all this stuff. With a Spider Man movie blowing up this weekend. When we come back, not only will we get into some of your spicy emails to kick things off, not only will we get all set up for our friend Amy Kaufelt. We got another interview about an hour after that to talk about something very frightening. But when we come back, I've never seen anything like this as far as movie deals go. You've got to hear you're not gonna believe what this is about. But I'll explain it to you because that is coming up next on the News Junkie. You can email the show tips at the news Junkie dot com. Tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. We were talking about Spider Man being number one with a bullet at the box office, almost the biggest opening of all time. Honestly, beforehand, I didn't hear a ton of people talking about it, but people just I think they were ready. It's been long enough. And the movie, by the way, was good. It was good. Okay, if you didn't see Spider Man Branded it, we did go see it. We went and saw Spider Man Brand new day. I didn't know what to expect at all. It was grittier than I expected. The story was pretty decently written, and it was It was a good time. It was a fun, fun time to watch it, and I think that's what people were looking for. They're looking for these experiences at the box office. But I gotta tell you there was a couple of things I wanted to share with you on this.
Speaker 1: Here's one of them.
Speaker 2: They're starting to offer all of these different like movie theater experiences, and they just sound so crazy to me. Maybe this strikes you as a good deal or something, But here's an example. This says the Odyssey fifteen slash seventy milimeter. Does that mean it's like one of the choice IMAX screenings. There's not too many of them in the country. If that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Oh well, the seventy milimeter I think is different than IMAX.
Speaker 1: But I don't know what the fifteen part is.
Speaker 2: It says Odyssey fifteen, the Odyssey fifteen slash seventy milimeter runtime three hours.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's the deal they have. This is crazy to me.
Speaker 2: They offered the VIP priority Imax experience. All right, this is the movie theater the deal for you in twenty twenty six see the Odyssey like a true VIP. You can bring up to ten guests, all right, up to ten guests total for one thousand, five hundred dollars at these movie theaters where they are doing the Imax experience.
Speaker 1: Here's what you got.
Speaker 2: Tell me if you think this is a good deal, remember one thousand, five hundred dollars for you and nine of your best friends.
Speaker 1: And boy, they better be best friends.
Speaker 2: You get up to ten VIP tickets to the Odyssey. You get priority theater entry for the best available seating options. Oh I'm sorry, did you think you were getting the whole theater to yourself for fifteen hundred dollars. No, it's just like a Southwest Airlines flight. You get the board a little earlier and pick your choice spots in the movie theater.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: If I pay fifteen hundred dollars, go watch The Odyssey and Imax and somebody starts talking on their phone in the middle the movie, I'm going to shoot them. There will be a shooting in the middle of this grade of this movie. For fifteen hundred dollars. Uh. Yes, Priority theater Intry for the best available seating options, five reserved parking spaces, so you can get a great parking space, up to ten large popcorns with unlimited refills, up to ten large fountain drinks with unlimited refills, and up to ten custom Odyssey themed desserts crafted by a local culinary partner. That's what you get for one thousand, five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: First of all, for fifteen hundred dollars, I better not get up to ten. I'm getting ten. I'm getting even if I bring eight people, we're getting two extra desserts, two extra popcorns.
Speaker 1: That miss me with taking it with ten things.
Speaker 7: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Second, I googled it and the fifteen slash seventy milimeters that is used for true IMAX presentations. I thought there was a seventy millimeter that is not IMAX. But I might be wrong on that because I do not dive into this like nerd land where I go out of my way to see movies presented in a certain way. The fifteen is because it's fifteen sprocket holes wide in the film. Yeah, okay, you know, because the time is bigger, right right, But you know how it has holes on the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's fifteen of them to get the one frame.
Speaker 2: Well, the little holes on the edge of like film if you see old like negatives or whatever.
Speaker 1: So there's fifteen in there. Oh that's what that means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you get you get ten VIP tickets, which just means you get to pick your seats before everybody else. You get five parking spaces, you get ten popcorns, ten fountain drinks, and ten desserts. So as fifteen hundred dollars, it's one hundred and fifty dollars a person to go to see a movie.
Speaker 3: As one person, you get to go one hundred and fifty dollars for a dream ticket to the movie early access off a parking spot. Yes, popcorn, soda, and a dessert for one hundred and fifty bucks. Isn't that that's crazy to me? Like that is crazy to me to be that expensive. But I guess just a regular IMAX true IMAX.
Speaker 2: Ticket is pretty expensive. You guys can tell me how much it is. I've never actually been to one of the true IMAX theaters where there's only so many of them, but would.
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 2: They're in a movie on the planet that I would pay fifteen hundred dollars. For fifteen hundred dollars, you can literally start to build your own home theater for that much money.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the one you dream of, but like.
Speaker 2: You could get a seventy eighty inch flat screen at Costco. You could get a surround sound system with some cube speakers and a center speaker at a sub well for you could probably get that together for fifteen hundred bucks instead of watching The Odyssey one time and getting some popcorn in a dessert or something. But maybe it's this good. Let us know, would you do that or do you think that's a ripoff. Send your dispatches over at thenewsjunkie dot com. Absolutely crazy. It leaked again, just like the Odyssey leaked. Spider Man Brand New Day leaked out. Somebody posted it on x dot com and I was out for a couple of hours, reaching millions of accounts before somebody took that down. Then I heard a little tidbit about Spider Man worth working in.
Speaker 1: I did not know this. It's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Spider Man Brand New Day will open in Imax theaters on August sixth, so you're asking yourself, hold on, Spider Man's not in the Imax theaters yet. The record breaking superhero movie did not open in Imax originally because of The Odyssey's exclusive three week run in Imax theaters in crowd those three weeks are over, Imax is able to schedule Spider Man Brand New Day showtimes. The Odyssey will retain most of the Imax screens, with Spider Man Brand New Day sharing the Imax Global network across select digital locations, so the film ones are going to stay with the Odyssey and all forty one of the company's seventy millimeter film locations around the world.
Speaker 1: Only in the whole world.
Speaker 2: There's only forty one of them. There's only forty one of these projectors. I guess seventy millimeter film locations in the world. They'll still have the Odyssey, but the digital ones will start to show Spider Man and Imax. And that's the crazy deal that the Odyssey got, Like they made that much money. Spider Man probably would have broken the all time record over Avengers Endgame if it was available in Imax. I think there's no doubt about that. But it wasn't and they had a deal with the Odyssey. Folks, I guess to knock this out. Let us know what you think about this. Set us a dispatch over at the Newsjunkie dot com or email the show tips at the Newsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see what we got here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to you your your contributions to the show.
Speaker 1: You're asking about what the Imax costs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for one ticket, just like a not the digital one, the legit Imax.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think this is a legit one. But Pisenberg said they saw Odyssey's Saturday Night seventy millimeters Imax, having never really seen that. I'm at seventy millimeters. Sounds like it's not digital. Yeah, I think that's the real one, but I don't know what was different about it, aside the screen from the screen being ginormous. Wasn't worth seventy five dollars for both of our tickets?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay for two for two?
Speaker 2: Seventy five for two, Okay, seventy five for two is still pretty pricey. Yeah, people are saying about thirty five dollars or so, but there are people who pay it. The majority of the first couple of days in money for the Odyssey was actually from Imax theaters, the digital ones included obviously until I.
Speaker 3: Got that record. Uh yeah, you set in these records. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll see if that continues, and we'll see what changes with the theater switching things up here. I do have a lot of people already joining in on the rate my blank, but I truly wonder if this is a good idea. I'm not sure I see a high led mark or rate my blank winner from last week email or he sending a dispatch high lead mark.
Speaker 1: Make sure you email tips.
Speaker 2: At the news Junkie dot com and I'll give you a prize redemption link. Okay, here we go. This is what it's going to be like all week. Folks, seelane, try to hold it in. Do not give out any courtesy laughs, because if we laugh, that means the rate my blank rate my dad joke for the whole week. That means these are in contention for the big prize. Here's eleven, Charlie.
Speaker 9: Do you know what happens when somebody slaps you at high frequency?
Speaker 1: It mega hurts.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna go to the next one. Here is got Krypto.
Speaker 7: So I recently learned a tough lesson never buy shoes from a drug dealer.
Speaker 1: I don't know what was relased with, but man, I was tripping. Okay, all right, one more pile of mind.
Speaker 10: So my friend Sarah left her pepsi about sixty miles south of Tampa.
Speaker 1: That's where Sarah Soda is.
Speaker 2: God, that was so bad that you only know it if you're in the state of Florida. Know that it's a Sarah Soda joke. Okay, folks, you guys, you.
Speaker 1: Guys, you guys are going to weigh in on this too.
Speaker 2: We are going to try to be stonefaced about these rate my blank rate my dad joke.
Speaker 1: Entrees.
Speaker 2: We may not give you the courtesy last, but if you on the texting service, I got a couple of them.
Speaker 1: If you react, we could add a bookmark to them.
Speaker 2: Keep yours coming in over on the websites at the Newsjunkie dot com. Yeah, a couple of emails real quick. Melanie emails the show. She says, she's commiserating with you see Lane.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, how are the knees?
Speaker 2: How are you feeling today after Friday's miss at you know, it's just a.
Speaker 3: Little scraped up it still doing okay though?
Speaker 2: All okay, right, okay? Can we do our dad jokes in tts Seawan voice? You can if you like, you can, if you want to. Melody emails commiserating with Sea Lane. She says, good day, guys. I'm listening to Friday's podcast this morning, and I could completely commiserate with Sea Lane and.
Speaker 1: His bruise ego from his bruce knees. He fell on Thursday.
Speaker 2: For the record, for those who don't know, a year ago, is taking my trash out to the curb, pushing it in front of me. I somehow stumbled, causing the trash can to roll out and fall and the lid was already open and it was laid on the ground and I stepped on it. Stepping on the lid while it was still rolling made me fall and I dislocated my shoulders.
Speaker 1: She oh no, it popped, and.
Speaker 2: Immediately the pain was so severe like I had seen in the movies, I knew I had to go to the er. My boyfriend took me there, and having repeat the story over and over you again was humiliating. The worst part was that they kept looking at him like he did it and I was making up this elaborate story to cover.
Speaker 1: Up his abuse.
Speaker 2: Oh no, They thought she had been beaten by her partner and that she was saying like, oh no, I slipped on the trash can lid, but she really did. Nope, I'm just a klutz and I tripped over my trash can and dislocated my shoulders. So see that it could have been worse. Wiggle wiggle literally pop pop, says Melanie.
Speaker 1: Yeah over.
Speaker 3: I was like kind of relieved that at least I had already taken out the recycling and like didn't go down with the bin. And then I'm having to like scurry around in the dark and try to pick up all the trash and it was like spilling out.
Speaker 1: That would have been notts of fun.
Speaker 2: None of that was as bad as what I saw over the weekend where a woman, like a damn Looney Tunes character stepped on a rake.
Speaker 1: Did you see that, lady?
Speaker 2: No, Oh my god, I don't know if I don't even know if I can show it. But there was a woman who, just like a a character in a cartoon, she stepped on a rake and had to go to the hospital because the rake straight up like went through her foot. I'm not sure why this comes up when that's the woman, but this is.
Speaker 1: Not the woman who stepped on the I can tell.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I'm gonna stop scrolling right there because I don't know what other things are gonna pop up when I'm looking for rake, lady. But just trust me that happened this weekend.
Speaker 1: Search. I didn't search anything to give me that.
Speaker 2: For God's sake, when we come back say goodbye to radio, I'll explain just an absolutely unbelievable story you gotta hear.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that.
Speaker 2: We'll get to more of your feedback, more your rate, my blank dad joke addition, and a whole lot more coming up next on the news junk. Ye, we got Amy Kaufel coming up in the top of the hour. It's less than fifteen minutes away. After that, in the top of the next hour, we've got an expert, Like I mean, this woman is probably too smart to be on this show, but she's an expert at this thing. Because a lot of stories are suggesting that iron is hacking our water supply in the United States of America, and we're just a bunch of dummies over here.
Speaker 1: I want to know what does that mean? How is this done?
Speaker 2: Is it actually sophisticated? Is there any danger for everybody? What other things could hackers hack? Like that would affect you in your real life, not on the internet. So that will be at the top of the next hour. But this weekend there was a couple of stories that caught my attention about this industry. Many of you who listen to the show listen because you love radio and you love the format. You love broadcasting. And when I say that, I generally mean this kind of radio talk radio. Not many people like music radio in the same way you put up with music radio. You sit in your car, like I like the songs on this channel, but you barely have any allegiance to music radio. You don't care if you're getting your music from a radio station or for some app that has the best, you know, playlist that's perfectly created for you. You know, people don't care about that. These aren't those days any longer. But I ask you, really, do you think radio is going to die within the next ten years, because I think we're gonna see a lot more stories like this one.
Speaker 1: Let me bring this up here.
Speaker 2: A legendary station out in California was shut down over the weekend. And when I say shut down, I mean it wasn't shut down in the sense that they're not broadcasting anymore. It was shut down for all the employees. And here's one of the stories of this. It says, or about this, I should say, legendary California radio station KCAL ninety six point seven. For those of you don't know, radio stations start with the W east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi. You get a K in front of that station calls on.
Speaker 1: Really, it would have made more sense to put the W to the west. But you know who am I?
Speaker 2: I agree it would have been easier to remember, but you know how it goes. It's too late now. But this radio station in California, ninety six point seven rock station. It had been around for so long. This was a station that people grew up with their favorite bands. They learned about them on this station. And then after one of the shows on Friday or something, they said, we're firing every single one of the DJs on this station. And I said, well, get ready, because this is just the beginning of the grim Reaper coming through music radio. Music radio is going to be decimated. It will be first, and it is an easy call for these radio stations. I say this not to be rude to our brethren in music radio. I appreciate you. I know some of you are talented at what you do, but you are incredibly expendable. I just hate to say that, but is just the truth. It is the truth. When you look at these radio stations, they find you to be expendable. So this classic rock station fired everybody, morning show, middays, afternoons, nights, overnights, all of that stuff. When I first got into radio, I don't know if this was true for you. I think this might have been true for you.
Speaker 1: Toucy Lane. Possibly.
Speaker 2: When I first got into radio, there was somebody literally at the radio station twenty four to seven, not for me, No, no, there wasn't anybody like overnights.
Speaker 1: There wasn't anybody running the board at that time.
Speaker 2: M no, okay, So we would always have somebody because he had cart machines, and the cart machines weren't automated, and for commercials and stuff in the playing the CDEs and stuff, you would have to get your list for your shift. You would get all of the music that you were supposed to play, you would get all of the carts ready, you would stack them up, and you would start playing your music for your shift. And there was somebody in the morning's live all day long. There was somebody live behind the board, babysitting the board, making sure the music was going out to the people.
Speaker 1: Right. Not anymore.
Speaker 2: And shortly after I started in radio, they started by automating overnights, and then they just went on and on from there. And then they said at every part of the industry has done this. They said, we're going to take our best people and put them on many stations. We're gonna you know, you're going to be the rock guy for the Southeastern and all of these stations around here, and we're going to fire the other forty people that did this work. And now this is just a matter of time because for them it's cheaper. They've found in a lot of studies that they've done, believe it or not, that whether they have the DJs on introducing the music or if they have nothing and they're just playing music, it literally does not affect the ratings that much.
Speaker 1: They're not that many people.
Speaker 2: Were like, I only listen for Cobra Kai Joe in the afternoon. Right. So this station, legendary station in California, the first of many to do this, has pulled the plug on all of their DJs. Every single one of them has been laid off and they're just going DJ free from here on out. They said, k CAW has a long standing history in the Inland Empire. This next chapter builds on the station strong rock heritage. They've fired all the people that actually work there. I'm looking at some of the DJs that work there, and then when you're fired and you go, okay, well, I got to try and get a gig somewhere else, and there's less and less and less and less places to do this. Radio is in dire straits. Music radio is in very much dire straits. What we do around here isn't quite as replaceable just yet. And the content, the words coming out of our mouths, that is the stuff that the radio station can't just have music take care of. We are the content here, at least for now. But this is going to be happening so much more. If you have a station like that that you still like, it'll impact you. And I'll ask you that if you were listening to a music station and they said we're firing all of our radio DJs, no humans will be introducing the songs, does that change anything for you? Would you stop listening? Or do you really only care about the music to begin with? I used to think they cared about me when I was Sean Jay on WLDI Wild ninety five five.
Speaker 1: That's cute? Who you thought that?
Speaker 2: I thought people cared about me see Lane and my intro to the latest Britney Spears song.
Speaker 1: But they did not. Off last, they did not, not even the.
Speaker 2: People who ran the station cared about my voice being on that station so much.
Speaker 1: But this is the beginning of it.
Speaker 2: We had one of our local morning shows rips as of today, like was in the industry trades, I said, gone done over with. This is why I'm telling you guys, this is like, this is the beginning of the next the next layer of what broadcasting looks like. And that's what we're trying to be on the crest of the wave for. And it involves you. And if you like this stuff, now is the time to jump on board and support. Now's the time to show the suits that you do care about this kind of stuff, because it's gonna be a blood bath and radio might be Now your job is probably not too far down the line.
Speaker 1: Maybe ours too. We'll see about all of that. I've never this.
Speaker 3: Area where they broadcast the Inland Empire. There's a there small portion of California riverside San Bernardino, Ontario Metropolitania that they refer to as the Inland Empire. It makes it sound a lot cooler than it is. I think it's empire. It's not the beach.
Speaker 2: So instead of calling it just not the beach, they're like, it's the Inland Empire.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, josh, oh, is it really the U two place? Okay? Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: I have lots more entries for our rate, my blank, I mean, and a ton of them. I don't know if any of these are good or worth worth playing. I do like that people are using TTS for some of them. Here's another entry.
Speaker 3: I do Norwegian ships have barcodes so they can scan d navy in?
Speaker 1: Putting two crowd cheers does not count? All right?
Speaker 2: No? Why do Norwegian ships have bar codes so they can scan the navy in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I get it, I get it. That's one that that the TTS probably did a disservice to.
Speaker 2: The pacing was off. Yeah, this won't even have a punch longs.
Speaker 11: What do you call a cow with no legs?
Speaker 1: Ground beef? All right, that's one of the oldest jokes in the book. I know laughing at that. I didn't mean to.
Speaker 2: I was generally trying not to. This is why our industry is crumbling over here.
Speaker 1: Okay, one more, one more. Here's let's go over to this one. Here's Charlie. Hey, guys, why does Snoop Dogg carry an umbrella? Oh?
Speaker 2: Drizzle for drizzle A new rule, new rule for the rate, my blank rate? My dad jokes for this week. If selang can finish your joke before you get to the punchline. If he can guess what the punchline is. Auto disqualified.
Speaker 3: Uh, he was already disqualified for stealing a joke that runs as a promo on our station for the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, double double disqualified. If that's the case, we cannot have that. One more, sure, one more? All right, here we go, here's yuckers.
Speaker 3: I went in for a colonoscopy the other day. The doctor accidentally punctured my colon, and I came out with a semi colon.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we could call effects. Is the thing that's coming closest to breaking me.
Speaker 2: They've got some options over there. You could join in over on the news junkie dot com. Submit a dispatch over there, just like Dentman.
Speaker 1: What did the snail say while he was riding on the turtle? We see that it's folks, so far wide open.
Speaker 2: There's a path for you to victory that is not impeded by any good submission so far.
Speaker 3: I would say, is that because a turtle would be moving faster than the snail?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a thinker. It is a thinker. It is a thinker. All right, send yours over.
Speaker 2: This is ours our distraction for the week. Rate my blanket is rate my dad joke and you can record yours over on the news Junkie dot Com quick Break and we are back with our friend Amy Kaufelt. We'll see what's happening with her. We'll catch up on I know they were talking about this in and out shooting that happen over the weekend. They've named the guy who is responsible, some crazy details around that, So we'll see what's going on with that and everything else happening in the headlines with Amy Cawfel coming up next on the News Junkie. Right now, it's time, I know, calm down, everybody, calm down. I know everybody gets excited for this moment, but try to stay calm.
Speaker 1: Let's welcome our friend Amy Kufel from Fox thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, there she is, Amy Cawfel. I saw you were in Washington, DC over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Amy.
Speaker 11: It was fun. We went and picked up Kate.
Speaker 9: So she did a summer internship up there on Capitol Hill. She was kind of nervous about it going into it, and then she had a total blast and learned a lot and it was actually super cool. So have you guys been inside of the US Capitol building?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think okay.
Speaker 3: Once Sean was there, it was in January, a couple of years ago, and he said, George.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just waved me right through. I got Nancy Pelosi's podium out of the whole thing. I don't think the guy could lift a podium like that, but he did.
Speaker 2: A Nightstands when I was a kid. I I think I went into uh went there. I went there not too long ago, but we didn't go back inside, but did. She gave me like a VIP tour, right And it.
Speaker 9: Was actually so cool to have your kid give you a tour because it was for me.
Speaker 11: It was like, wow, she's she was only.
Speaker 9: There ten weeks, but like all the things that she learned and it was fascinating.
Speaker 11: And so she was showing us things.
Speaker 9: Like the burnmarks on the on the like columns that were from when the British tried to burn the Capitol down in eighteen fourteen. And then we got to go under the Capitol rotunda and that's where the empty casket is for George Washington. Because they just basically made this little room for George Washington to be buried, to be interred inside the US capital. But then when he died, he was up. Now, I go no, I'd want to be buried at Mount Vernon. So they just left this empty casket there and it's been there, you know, for yeah, three years years.
Speaker 2: There's so much history that that people, especially a lot of like younger Americans, don't know. I think most people don't even know that the White House was burned down by the British at one point in time. But that's the true story. The you know, the British didn't just go away, Uh, they were they were treated into their territory in Canada at the time. And then the US was having skirmishes with the Brits, and the Brits were trying to arm and work with the Native American resistance, and there was a lot of stuff going on. And then at one point the Brits made their way to the White House and they burnt the son of a bitch to the ground. And there's still like it's the columns in some other areas where like.
Speaker 9: Inside the Capitol building. Yet you can see that the burn marks, you can see. It's funny there's on the steps, Like there's lots of spiral staircases throughout the US Capitol building that are marble, and you can see there's areas or chunks that were missing that they had to replace. And Kate was telling us there's one of two things there, not one hundred percent sure. Either cannons were dragged up the stairs and the cannons chipped the marble, or she said horses were inside the US Capitol and the horses would go up the stairwells and they would chip the marble. But just so many little things, a little intricate things that you wouldn't notice unless you have someone kind of walking you through it.
Speaker 11: So it was really it was fun.
Speaker 1: That's front of her.
Speaker 2: So she learned a lot. I'm sure had a good time. You rescued her from Washington, d C. She's back into the real world now. Yeah, there was there was so much going on this weekend. How close did I know you guys were covering it this morning? How close were we watching that. I'm still not exactly sure what was going on with that shooting at an in and out location of all places.
Speaker 9: Don Yeah, twenty four year old kid. I say kid because twenty four to me is still young. But yeah, So apparently this in and out in Idaho, Southern Idaho had Twin Falls, had only been open for a week. This kid walks up into the restaurant and start shooting indiscriminately, killed three people, seven others injured. But it was actually a hero off duty officer and someone else who was inside of the restaurant who was carrying a concealed weapons.
Speaker 1: The guy with a cowboy hat, right yeah.
Speaker 9: And they both pulled out their weapons and started shooting at the kid, and it kind of freaked the kid out. I guess he wasn't anticipating that someone was going to be shooting back at him.
Speaker 11: And he never do yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they never do. Yeh.
Speaker 2: So I still haven't figured out why there's something weird that happens. Sometimes they released the person's name and they go, here's this younger man who was the shooter at this in and out burger in Twin Falls, Idaho over the weekend. And we'll get into more of the details of this later. And I got some of the press conference stuff. But when they said his name and you started, people started, of course quickly furiously searching for him. All over the social media platform, and there wasn't really a lot to go by as far as I saw. It wasn't like, oh he did this because he hated blank. You know, like that doesn't seem clear as to what was going on.
Speaker 11: There was Can you remember the Butler Pennsylvania shooter.
Speaker 9: It was the same thing, exactly very little information about that guy. I mean, they could hardly find any kind of you know, information like that showed like he was, you know, it wasn't like a Luigi man Gioni thing where it's like there's a whole you know, manifested.
Speaker 1: He wrote it right on the bullets. Yeah. Well no, but there's different things.
Speaker 2: What I'm talking about mostly is usually, well, for a long period of time when there was somebody who was carrying out an attack like this, there were a lot of social media postings in history. And then there's been some of these people like also the Charlie kirk assass and that guy had a pretty sparse Internet history himself, and so you just think, well, young person, once we get their name or to see what they were posting about. I haven't seen anything that tells me the motivation of the shooter at this in and out.
Speaker 9: Yet No, not yet and all I mean his name is Williams. I didn't even put that on my post today because it's such a common name, you know what I mean, I feel like it it'd be hard to track down this particular guy unless you're a pretty good internet slouth, which make sure there will be plenty of people that we'll find out more. For sure, this happened on Saturday afternoon, so we'll find out more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is one of those cases though, where he did this in a place where there was at least a couple of people with guns and they started firing back at this guy and then I think it took his own life at the end of it. But we'll see if there's any anything else coming out of that. What else was grabbing your attention this weekend?
Speaker 9: So you guys, we are learning more about this double homicide that happened in DeLand. For those of your listeners who are outside of the central Florida area, this is a sleepy town, a sweet town. It is a university town home to Stetson University, and this double homicide happened very close to what is called the Historic Athens Theater, which is a popular community theater where performances are happening all the time. Bodies were found on Wednesday, July twenty ninth.
Speaker 11: These two young men.
Speaker 9: One of them is a student at the Citadel. If anybody knows anything about prestigious military academies, this is.
Speaker 11: One of them.
Speaker 9: And these two young men nineteen and eighteen years old, childhood friends.
Speaker 11: One of them lives in Chicago.
Speaker 9: That's the second young man, and the other one, Dustin, is the one who was at the Citadel. They were home on some kind of break and very mysterious. We really don't know a whole lot about the circumstances other than they were shot multiple times.
Speaker 2: So two guys shot and killed and they found their bodies together, and they don't know.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 11: So here's what we do know, And there has not been a lot of information.
Speaker 9: The FBI is now working with DeLand Police and Blish County authorities on this one. But we do know that they did execute a search warrant over the weekend and they went to a house on They're not even giving us an exact address.
Speaker 11: The house is on Lofton Street in DeLand.
Speaker 9: We don't know if any arrests were made, if they were able to maybe get some evidence from there.
Speaker 11: We just we don't know. I mean, it's very mysterious.
Speaker 9: We actually had a lady on this morning who's a retired FBI agent, and she said the same thing. She said, she's glad the FBI is working on this because they obviously have the resources. As you guys know from like the Nancy Guthrie case. If you don't get the FBI in there early, you know, it can be really damaging because sometimes you know, in the in these cases of especially something that is sort of as mysterious is this particular one, you know, you need all eyes on it, and you need it all on there as quickly as possible. We called that the first forty eight right, yeah, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you end up with that sheriff down there. And the Nancy Guthrie thing didn't very well.
Speaker 2: You there was a whole write up about him and how he bungled that operation in the Wall Street Journal this weekend. Oh my god, man, like just talk about incompetence in law enforce and like, I was so bad.
Speaker 1: But that is a very strange case.
Speaker 9: So I'll be interested to see you disturbing. So yes, we're still waiting more information on this. There were some rumors going around that there had been other crimes happening in DeLand that people were wondering if this was connected to it. I think, to me, what's just most interesting is that these two was Were these guys just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 11: We don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Interesting. We'll have to We'll have to keep an eye on that story, for sure. I want to tsk something at you here because I saw a lot of people talking about this this weekend. There are varied takes on this and opinions I want to get. I want to get Amy Coffelt's and yours too, Sea Line, but only yours a little bit because Amy Coffelt, well, just have a better take on this.
Speaker 1: You know, Mario Lopez is you guys? You guys know who that? Yeah? Right, ac Ac Slater, That's right, Mario Lopez.
Speaker 2: He posted a video this weekend six point four million views, and he said I can't take my niece anywhere, and he aied a photo of himself and his niece allegedly and the photo is weird and are they turned it into a video, and so it's him and his knees at the doctor.
Speaker 1: You can't take her anywhere. Oh my god, look at you so good. You're a mess the mustard and they're like, this is your knee, dude, what.
Speaker 11: Is it really?
Speaker 2: I guess you went to the game with his niece and then aied her and him, and it like there she's oddly eating these hot dogs and rubbing mustard all over her face, and just that is legit.
Speaker 11: His niece.
Speaker 9: I think I got it, like this video. He just made this because he thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: I think it's very very weird.
Speaker 2: Somebody was posting the prompt that was used for this, or I mean it's it's Ai but he took a photo I think to start this, or it's just very weird.
Speaker 1: I'll put this up on see it now. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: He said this is a weird time to start watching the show. Hey, I'm not the one who posted it. What does his brother or sister think about this?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It it's if I was going to just uncle Mario being crazy.
Speaker 2: If I was going to go out with my niece or nephew somewhere and take a picture of them and I did this with it, I would probably never be able to see them again.
Speaker 1: I think somebody would be like, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell is that? Very very bizarre. Yeah, that's that's the end of the rainbow. But we'll see what's happens. I'll put that up on see.
Speaker 11: It now, see that? Yeah, thanks for disturbing my afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I figured you guys could maybe leave top story. Yeah, I figure you could open the Fox broadcast with that tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And get that out there.
Speaker 9: Bring me to the fact that I used to only like ketch up on my hot dog, but now I'm.
Speaker 11: A mustard girl.
Speaker 2: But no relish really yeah, I relish is not that bad hot dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean look, wait, wait, wait, what do you want your relish on? Then?
Speaker 9: I don't know, Like I like it with like tune to salad, you know, like some people will mix like relish with her tuna sound.
Speaker 1: I don't mind.
Speaker 11: I don't mind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Everything is acceptable until you start putting mayonnaise on a hot talk. That's the territory where you've Yeah, you've gone too far. Hey did you see that the ladies singing the national anthem at the.
Speaker 11: I don't know what that was about either.
Speaker 9: Speaking of things that were disturbing, so the goal.
Speaker 11: So that was it.
Speaker 9: Martha Reeves, Yes, apparently at one point she was like a very successful I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: She was in Martha successful performer, right, Martha and thee.
Speaker 11: Martha and the Vandela's.
Speaker 1: Vendela that almost have vendettas And I knew that didn't sound right.
Speaker 11: It was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she sang the song heat Wave, I think Celan said, and a bunch of other really popular songs. But my god, was that absolutely bad. That was mega viral. We'll played at the beginning of the show if you.
Speaker 9: Missed it, do you guys think it was worse than like fergiear Roseanne or like you rank it?
Speaker 11: It was worse.
Speaker 3: I watched a couple of the all time contenders. I didn't watch Roseanne over the weekend, but once I saw this Martha Reeves thing, I watched Fergie, I watched Shaka Khan that was one that some people said was bad. And then Christina Aguilera, who does the singing incursive thing, who which a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people hate.
Speaker 3: You know, they wanted to be a more traditional by the book anthem, and but Christina actually messed up some of the words at the Super Bowl, which was a little embarrassing, but I think all of that stuff can be forgiven once I watch this Martha Reeves and the two other random women singing the same song at two different tempos and in two different keys, but at the same time, because why not.
Speaker 1: It was Yeah, I feel like I think they were just there to help.
Speaker 2: I'll bring it up just in case you're just joining us if you haven't heard this yet.
Speaker 1: It is quite bad. It doesn't take a long time to get the point. You see.
Speaker 13: Was so Foundrive s r.
Speaker 2: She's borderline like a ghost. She's like, oh, yeah, the vibrato was very, very overdone. I think, yeah it was. It was a thing. So yeah, there's that. Well, what else grabbed your attention this morning? Guys?
Speaker 9: This is a wild story. So this was a couple of days ago, but people are still talking about it. We're hoping to have the sheriff on tomorrow. Sheriff for Staley, who is the Flagler County sheriff, was going out to dinner with his wife, okay, and he uh he says he spotted a white dodged Challenger with black racing stripes flying past him. So he turns on his radar and the guy is going one hundred and twenty five miles an hour. What you guys know that these super speeder laws. Now anything that is okay. So the law is you can't be going over one hundred right then if anything over one hundred over is considered super speeder.
Speaker 11: Or forty miles an hour over, the post is speed limits.
Speaker 9: So say it's a twenty five mile an hour zone and you're going seventy, yeah, that would also be considered it super speeder.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So sheriff's day with his wife in the car, pulls this guy over.
Speaker 11: Okay, he ends up getting him pulled over.
Speaker 9: The guy his name is a Rule Nayak of Palm Coast, he's twenty two years old.
Speaker 11: He had three other people in the vehicle with him, okay, and he ends up pulling him over, and.
Speaker 9: He the guy says he knows he's getting arrested.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 9: So as as this is happening, people are honking. Their appreciation is they're driving by because the guy was not only going super fast, but he was weaving in and out of traffic, which you guys know is a little s.
Speaker 2: So driving one hundred and something miles an hour and driving, you know, like weaving in.
Speaker 1: And out of the Yeah.
Speaker 9: So he tells the sheriff that guy had no no criminal history, had never been in trouble before. But he did tell Sheriff Daley, Hey, I'm taking my pilot's license exam on Saturday, so I just need to be out of jail before then.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just fast track this whole thing.
Speaker 3: I don't think they like it when you tell them you've got something to do, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't seem very worried about that arrest. For God's sake, Holy cow. Yeah, that's something.
Speaker 11: I don't understand why people keep doing this.
Speaker 9: I mean, they know it's against the law, Like they know that they're going to get in big trouble.
Speaker 1: You know you're in jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah why Yeah, Well for now, until more of the stories get out there about the people actually going to jail, I think that will eventually curb some of this behavior a little bit.
Speaker 1: You see the real quick though.
Speaker 2: Did you see the other story Amy about the Lusha County sheriff who said they Valusia County passed a new law or new rule about kids on e bikes and they're like, kids cannot ride e bikes in our county. You're not allowed to hear all the rules for e bike riding in our county. And the sheriff was like, I'm not going to enforce it. Yeah, the sheriff was.
Speaker 9: About rescinding it, like basically saying that we're we're not going to do this anymore because if we can't get the sheriff to enforce it. Although it was in DeLand, you would think like, okay, well maybe DeLand police can enforce it, but my guess is they don't want to right now.
Speaker 11: No, but how do we do this? This is going to take up all of our time.
Speaker 2: This is going to happen in every city across the country, So no matter where you're listening to this, this will be something that happens to you. Two, they made a local law about kids and underage kids riding on scooters and e bikes and stuff. But Selan, the sheriff, is like, what am I supposed to pull these kids over and start demanding ID and check to see who's what age on the e bikes that are cruising around.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm not going to do anything about that.
Speaker 9: Interesting to me, it's kind of like do you guys, remember when they first made it against the law to be on your cell phone while you're driving. Uh huh the last time somebody got pulled over for being on their cell phone while driving?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 11: It's like there's just certain things.
Speaker 9: It's like, Okay, you can pass the law, but who's who's actually going to enforce this?
Speaker 2: Somebody says, see, which says the sheriff doesn't have the authority to pick and choose what laws he enforces.
Speaker 1: Well does he?
Speaker 2: He's a flat out saying he's not going to be saying there's state law that I think he says supersedes the county and so like, even though there's a problem with kids on e bikes, this ain't gonna cut it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to have a bigger law somewhere.
Speaker 9: So yeah, part of the problem too, and this is happening all over the country, this is not just a Florida issue, is that, you know, everybody is trying to come up with their own set of laws.
Speaker 11: So I feel like.
Speaker 9: This, to me, the state needs to say this is what we're doing and then just make it blanket for everybody. Because having every municipality doing their own thing is way too complished.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gets that turns into a mess. It's like a patchwork of laws everywhere. You know her, you love her. She's freshly back from the nation's capital, and though they tried to make her president while she was there, she refused because she wants to bring you the news every single morning. Our friend, the very talented Amy Coffel. Yeah, you're following Amy Coffell on all social media platforms. Search for her name, Amy Kufel, and give her a follow over there. Watch every morning. If you're here in town where we're based out of Orlando, go watch Good Day Orlando. Of course you're probably doing that, but if you're not, make sure you start tomorrow and make sure you follow along on all of their profiles as well on YouTube, etcetera, etcetera. On Fox thirty five, Amy.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Think you guys are gonna go have double hot dogs?
Speaker 2: Pretty careful? That's the weirdest thing, man, Slater, What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Slater?
Speaker 2: Mario Lopez, what do you? I don't even know. We're gonna take quick break. When we come back. We'll get into a couple of your emails. We got a detail that just came out about the in and out things we have to work, and we have a pick aside on the way. We're loaded up and ready to go on the show, and we're going to continue along with that because it's coming up next on the news Junkie, you know, And I can't see him my monitor. I need to see your beautiful face otherwise, you know, I just just it's.
Speaker 1: Not the same. They're all look at him.
Speaker 2: What a cutie? Hey there there he is there you. I just you look fantastic in there. Your knees are embarrassing and all bruised and banded, but you know, your face is still adorable, still like a like a like a teddy bear, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: My kids kept trying to kiss him. The kiss you. That's adorable, That is adorable. He feels bad for you. He's embarrassing. Probably is.
Speaker 2: They're now saying in chat that they don't have any sea landing their monitor either.
Speaker 1: This is you know.
Speaker 2: There you go now now if you're watching over on YouTube or twitch dot tv slash the news joke, you could see. So we watched this Spider Man brand new day over the weekend, along with eight billion other people and a lot of stuff came up around this, But one thing I came up was in the movie. I'm not going to spoil anything here for you at all, but in spider Man Brand New Day, one of the main characters is Punisher, and it was interesting watching Courtney's take on Punisher, and I think she's exactly right about this all right. When I was young, Punisher was kind of the cool character in comic books. If you were a guy and you wanted to be cool, you didn't really care about Batman. Batman was kind of nerdy at the time, still kind of is a little bit, save for some portrayals.
Speaker 1: I see you Nolan in the Batman world. Spider Man was like whatever.
Speaker 2: But if you wanted to be kind of edgy or cool, you liked like Punisher, ghost Rider or Deadpool. Right, those are the ones that you like because those are the edgier characters. And I liked that they had a little more edginess in this New Spider Man movie that was almost the biggest movie ever this weekend, just just under Avengers Endgame for its opening weekend without any Imax screens as well. And the Punisher is in this and Courty goes Oh, just the Punisher is that that skull logo? And she said, that's a red flag for me. And it's just under like a guy who's obsessed with the Joker. And I said, there's a lot of truth to that. If there's a guy. Ladies know this. If there's a guy with too much Joker stuff on his car or like somehow in his life somewhere, you know, if he's got a Joker rap on his vehicle.
Speaker 1: I hate to say this, if you're talking about somebody specific. I'm not talking about Joker gangang or old friend. I don't know the person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like like a regular at a bar that would stand out to you. There is a vehicle that drives around my area that is completely wrapped in Joker.
Speaker 2: That's a red flag. And it says like, why so serious? Yes, look, you're a grown ass adult. It's a grown man, right, Look there's a grown man driving a car with Joker all over the place. Why so serious? And you're like, okay, your obsession with this character is indicative of probably some personality traits.
Speaker 1: That some people are not gonna like.
Speaker 2: And Corny goes Punisher is number two right behind the Joker. Like if a guy skeletons and stuff. I'm not as familiar with the Punisher as a character, just because I haven't seen. First of all, I never read much despite working at a comic book store, never read much comics at all in my life. M hm, So I haven't really seen a lot of movies with Punisher in them. However, I know that that skull logo, I think it's a pretty common tattoo. Yeah, and like the bigger the Punisher tattoo, you go, all right, we wanted that pretty good. I know some military people have co opted it, and that's fine, Like if you want, Like, you know, I'm a military guy, and here's the symbol i'm gonna put. People put salt life if they're into fishing, and I'm gonna put that because I'm a military person. I mean, somebody who just like starts covering their stuff and punish your things.
Speaker 1: And the more of.
Speaker 2: It that there is, the more you're like, whoo, I don't know, Joker is worse. And I'm sure you guys have other things like that. If somebody's obsessed with it, you go oof.
Speaker 1: Immediately.
Speaker 2: It's a tell about their personality. Like if a person's obsessed with this thing one thing, and this is a this is a sneaky one. A lot of you guys aren't gonna know what to make of this, But if you know somebody that is very obsessed, like will not stop talking about it, very obsessed with the movie Old Boy, run okay, run in the other direction as fast as you possibly can. That is one of the indicators that this person.
Speaker 1: Is a little bit weird. Is not a green flag for me that I don't even know what Old Boy is. I think it is, Yeah, I think that's in twenty and three or twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: I don't know which ones which, but it's it's a movie that the people who are obsessed with it usually end up falling into this category where it says more about their personality. It's one of those movies where if somebody obsesses over it, it's it's like, ah, there's a lot of people that have these kind of things that they're giving off. Somebody says American Psycho is like that. Meep, I don't know, I mean that uh okay movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I've I've I've not like found people to be I haven't seen that as a red flag, like, oh, this person really likes American Psycho. I don't see it a lot. However, there have been people that I have found to be obnoxious online and have gotten into fights with that are obsessed with American Psycho, and so it's like doing like a reverse kind of stigma on me.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're right. Maybe I haven't picked up on that. Somebody says, wf his Old Boy. If you don't know what it is, you're better off just to stay away. Some people really like the movie and I'm not coming down in the movie. I'm coming down Spike Uh no, no, no, no, not not Spike Lee, the Korean one, the Korean one. Yeah, the Korean movie Old Boy. If you find some like Western Web obsessed with this two three, I know that's not a weed, but you know, be easy on me. That movie is one of them where it's like, and you guys are probably gonna have other ones you could toss in like this, But there are things. Punisher I think is definitely one of them. And I saw the Punisher guy this weekend. It was it was a USA Today article John burnhal Is he's on top of his game right now. He was in Walking Dead, He's in the Odyssey, and he's in Spider Man, Brand New Dead, like you won this year, you got you and Tom Holland and Zendaya better Zendeia. You guys win twenty twenty six. Already congratulations, super talented people, but you end up walking into a bunch of dumb stuff when you start talking too much.
Speaker 1: I guess he was.
Speaker 3: Also we talked about John Bernhal last week or the week before, and Pisenberg had reminded me of this. He was in The Bear, but only like seven episodes, and they're all flashbacks because he was the brother that took his life, that started that started the story of the Bear. Likely he kind of like got the ball rolling for everything as far as the storyline goes. So while while his character is very important to the story of The Bear, the fact that he's not in it is kind of the main thing. And so he was only in seven episodes of the what five season run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he seems nice. I'll be honest with you. Don't don't come at me on this one. I don't know too much about him. He seems kind of dopey, which is okay. He's just an actor. Like you know, actors are allowed. They don't have to be the smartest people on the planet. They're very skilled to what they do. He was as great as the Punisher, was great in these other roles that we're talking about. But John Berthal doesn't strike me as the smartest guy, you know what I mean. Don't really care about his thoughts on like deep world issues and stuff. He doesn't strike me as an incredibly right guy. He strikes me as a fun guy, which is great. Don't get me wrong, it's great. It's fine, it's great.
Speaker 3: But you're not going to sit down at the bar with him and go like, hey, John Bernenthal, tell me what you think about Guzza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gonna do that. And maybe he knows a lot about this. He doesn't strike me as that guy. However, he was talking about pit bulls and the USA Today said, if you John Bernhal, the guy who's Punisher in The New Spider Man and in The Odyssey, said if you're scared of pit bulls, it's just racism. It's just dog racism. He said, it's just dog racism. He says, to be a afraid of a breed of dog is completely ridiculous. It's like being afraid of somebody for the race or their sexual orientation.
Speaker 1: It's completely ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Look, if a pit bull bites you, it's gonna suck. But they're no more likely to bite you than a chihuahua or another breed. I don't want to get into pit bull talk, but that's the kind of dumb stuf where it's like, hey, if you're scared of pit bulls, you're being dog racist. It's so weird. Take I don't know what to make of that. I will only tell you if there was somebody who told me like, I'm careful around pipples or I'm careful with my child around pipples, I'd be like, Okay, I've met a lot of great pipples, a lot of great pit bull owners. But if you are a little more hesitant around that because of anecdotal situations where pipples were more aggressive and you don't have good experiences with them, you're not the dog racist.
Speaker 1: You're just being smart.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your past is prologue, right, so your situation is something you should learn from. And if you want to think that pit bulls another breeder ones that you like to stay away from, that's totally fine. It's pretty doping to say something's dog racist.
Speaker 3: So John burnhal is trying to say that, like, uh, you could just take what people say about pit bulls and just plug in another race because they're basically saying racist things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you are against pit bulls, or you're you're fearful even fearful of pit bulls, you are a dog racist. You are a dog racist. I'm sure there's somebody out there that doesn't like Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I think you're crazy. My experience with him is great.
Speaker 1: But if you had I walked to the other side of the street when I see this and.
Speaker 2: We see lady over there, Hey, if I if I saw somebody was like, I knew somebody who had one of these, and it bit me three times and it's made me wary of them.
Speaker 1: Fine, to make you dog racist, it's weird as hell.
Speaker 2: But I guess he was saying that to the USA today, right, or that was in an article in the USA today. At least we'll see what you think about that. We're gonna take a quick break when we come back. We've got the hot sheet on the way. We're gonna interview at the top of the hour, so let's try to stay on time. For all of that much more on the way. It's all coming up next on the news Junkie. Welcome in on a Monday. The hot sheet is just moments away. I don't know if Celan's gonna be covering a lot of palooza at all. Did you see any of that this weekend?
Speaker 1: Barely?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I wanted to tune in for some Smashing Pumpkins, But when I got to the live stream and realized they were on, I checked setliss dot FM and they had already played all the songs that I like by them, like every Smashing Pumpkins song I know, save for maybe one.
Speaker 2: Did you see the crowd though? How many people?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Wait, if it was your favorite band, would you be in this crowd?
Speaker 2: Look real quick before the hot sheet. Look, there's just a scan from from the Lallapalooza.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: It's like this sea of human beings, Like, can just imagine any random point in the middle of here. Just being a person in there does not seem like a great experience.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I have the desire to do that kind of crowd anymore. People. How many of them are pooping right now?
Speaker 2: Either? There's so many people we know what they do in concerts these days. That was in Chicago for Lollapalooza Dream this weekend. Looked like they were having fun. But I don't know if you could get me in the middle of that crowd. Let us know what you think. Right now, let's do the hot sheets.
Speaker 1: News, but not like important news.
Speaker 3: That's best to get a reporting on the planet top stories from the people on your screen, then speakers are on the hot sheet with Sea Leab. That's right, the top five stories of the nonsense news brought to you by that mortgage guy, Dawn.
Speaker 1: And guys.
Speaker 3: You know, I know some of your people out there think America is not that great anymore. You know, loser. You could have it so much worse. You could be in Soviet Russia, where they're cracking down on porn sean huge crackdown. It's they're calling it Putin's porn crackdown. And I don't know if that's because whoever wrote this likes alliteration, or they were referring to the fact that Putin himself is spearheading this operation. But a Russian onlyfan star has dodged prison but been fine. Forty five thousand. Is that euros or pounds. I think it's euros forty five thousand. How many is that in.
Speaker 2: The USD forty five thousand euros is probably like fifty thousand bucks or something.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, handed a three year ban from the internet completely. Sofia Vershinina, twenty one years old, convicted of producing and distributing one Yeah she was an onlyfan star. Oh okay, so just because she was putting herself out there on the internet. A Moscow court convicted her of producing and distributing explicit online videos. She's been ordered to pay the forty five large she's all. It's been barred from appearing online, using the Internet, or from running her digital business for three years, in a massive blow to her income. Russian prosecutors say she was earning six figures plus from selling X rated videos and sold intimate content on Telegram, Messenger and living in an elite Moscow skyscraper business. They could be going after your porn if you wanted to, you know, move overseas because it's so much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got them mighty.
Speaker 2: They at least give the guys the adult content, for God's sake. They're shoving them over to war NonStop and they're dying off. I mean, what are they going to do for fun over there before they go to war?
Speaker 1: Got al mighty.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, in the States, if you were holding your breath for the sequel to the hugely successful Barbie movie, well it's stalling a bit. You know, when a movie makes more than one point four billion at the box office and earns eight Academy Award nominations, the studio is going to want to make a sequel, such is the case with Barbie. But time is running out for the studio to put Margo Robbie back in pink. A new report from The New York Times reveals that Warner Brothers Discovery CEO David Zaslav is stalling because he doesn't want to approve bigger salaries for Ryan Gosling and Margo Robbie.
Speaker 2: Oh I think you might. If you're gonna do a second one, you have to have them, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got to pay. What do you want? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: He bulked at giving the actors rich deals with profit participation for a second film. Gosling was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role as ken Is, angling to raise his pay to twenty million dollars. A Warner brother spokesman notes that there was never an agreed upon framework that was approved and pulled back. In a rare move, Warner Brothers didn't require the stars to commit to sequels, as they only signed a one movie deal to land Greta Gerwig as the film's director. Barb Barbie had like a bunch of false starts over the years and trying to get that movie made, but now he doesn't want to He doesn't want to approve the bigger salaries.
Speaker 1: And I think the problem.
Speaker 3: That they have on the horizon is that the rights to Barbie are going to expire at some point, so they need to make the sequel while they still have the rights to it, or else they're not gonna be able to do it at all.
Speaker 1: So, you know, if you want to see that dark, you're.
Speaker 2: Surprised that those the main people in that movie are going to want a lot more money because they know what you're going to get out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, of course it was. I mean it was a huge, huge hit. Wait, what did I say? One point four billion?
Speaker 3: Just all right, there's a little bit of problems on tour for this man.
Speaker 1: All right, chair, Oh, I know this.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we all flowed on modest mouse, modest mouse.
Speaker 3: They have booted guitarist Simon O'Connor from the upcoming of North American tour because he was accused of sending inappropriate messages to a teenage fan. The indie rock band announced Friday that O'Connor, who's in his forties, will not join them on the road beginning Tuesday in California. The good news is that they got somebody already jumping in to play guitar. But on July twenty sixth, though connor was accused by a Reddit user who identified themselves as a seventeen year old fan, of sending them an erotic image and commenting on their bikini pics on Instagram via direct message.
Speaker 2: I just saw the pick that he sent the person apparently it's this one. Oh, it's a very large, muscular we know that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that guy did die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the erotic image.
Speaker 1: This was it. He sent the photo of this guy.
Speaker 2: It's a famous like shock photo of a naked, muscular black man. And then the person said, Oh, I'm gonna assume that you've been hacked.
Speaker 1: Lol, have a good one. I love your music. Yeah, so he won't be on tour with them anymore. The user posted a series of screenshots of their alleged conversations on the social platform. Said there were sixteen at the time of the interaction, and had their date of birth listed on their Instagram profile. The user was by suggesting O'Connor's account had been hacked. Wish I had was hacked.
Speaker 3: Just at a party last night and looking at everything with one eye, you know, O'Connor allegedly replied. Even gave him an out and he didn't take it. Scientists have done the good work here. They've revealed the most scientifically accurate volcano movies ever made. What do you think was at the top of the list of all the volcano movies the most scientifically accurate?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I don't even know that many volcano movies. Does Joe Versus the Volcano have an actual volcano in it?
Speaker 1: Joe Versus the Volcano came in second for least accurate. Oh damn, I don't know what's the most accurate. So it's so funny.
Speaker 3: The most accurate and the least accurate were like same year, like within weeks or months of each other.
Speaker 1: They said.
Speaker 3: The most accurate was Dante's Peak with Sarah Connor the Linda Hamilton, the actress that played Sarah Connor and I Believe James Bond, one of the James Bonds. And then the least accurate, which was at about the same year they were they were released almost together, was Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones uh Krakatoa of the Final Days in Pompeii The Last Day were also among the most accurate Volcano movies, according to the scientists. Good Guy Kendrick Lamar surprised a seven year old dog attack victim with a birthday call over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Was that the call it might have been I don't know. That wasn't me. Was that you? It was one of my other.
Speaker 2: You were bringing up You were bringing up dogs again, and we might head back to the.
Speaker 3: Well this this is going to start some more dog racism, but you know, just buckle up. Uh It says a boy lost both his arms and a dog attack earlier this year. Uh he, Kendrick Lamar surprised the boy with a he no try to get Kendrick Lamar to attend his birthday party, but instead he got a phone call and got to speak with him directly over video. Kendrick asked, what's up man, how you feeling, and the kid said, how the hell do you think I'm feeling? I don't have any arms.
Speaker 2: That's the greatest clone of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I think already I just made that up.
Speaker 3: I mean, that would have been great as a seven year old kid, but it would have been very clever. It's new music Monday, Arion a Grande and opus Kin Cab new album. Also Lucia and the Best Boys. Little Uzi Vert has a new single with Maverick almost Forever EP that's not just a single, that's a holy p and then Robin the pop star Robin who kind of like goes in hiding for many many years at a time, and she's got talk to Me the remix plus Shaboozi and Kaylannie with Bullets and Blades. Hey, if you are in a renting situation, thrown away your money, it's time to get in the house. The mortgage guy down wants to help you get into that first home with a mortgage. You got a mortgage quote, you go to him. He will shop it around for you, make sure you're getting the best rate, because if not you might be leaving money on the table. Hit him up at his website, that mortgage got don dot com.
Speaker 2: One of the craziest stories over the weekend is is iron hacking our water plants? Our water systems in the United States. It's crazy, but there might be something to this. We'll figure out exactly what's happening with an expert that's coming up next on the news Junkie Sea Line. You know as well as I do. The very smart people tend to avoid this show, right, the folks who like can actually help us out to figure out what's going on there.
Speaker 1: They're smart. Yeah, they're like the news junkie.
Speaker 2: So I see this story. It's all over the place this weekend. The New York Times. Here's one example of it that I'm looking at. It says the United States sees Iran as likely behind a cyber attack on Minnesota water systems. And there was a lot of buzz out there about different cities that thought that their water supply was being hacked, and possibly that that water supply was being hacked by maybe Iranians. Obviously we're at war with Iran. There's a lot going on in that world, but we don't know how to work our way through a story like this. I don't know who's telling the truth and who's not. So let's welcome an expert on the topic, Annie Fixler.
Speaker 1: Annie, are you with us? Hi? Good to be with you. There she is. Annie.
Speaker 2: First of all, tell people a little bit about who you are, what you do, how you know about this kind of stuff, if you don't mind, sure.
Speaker 8: So I work at a think tank in Washington, d C. We do national security and foreign policy research, and we have a team that looks at cybersecurity issues, cyber policy issues, critical infrastructure resilience, and so we've been closely watching threats to critical infrastructure. And as you noted, they're on were with Iran and they pose cyber threats and so this is an evolving and concerning story.
Speaker 2: So the thing that we're looking at here is there are people hackers somewhere on possibly on behalf of Iran, who are hacking actual places in our in our real life, and what are the big fears there? Obviously this is we're talking about water systems here. Could they could they hack a water system and do something so that it would actually affect the quality of the water.
Speaker 8: That's certainly the concern. The way they have been attacking these systems is deep in what's called operational technology. It is the computer systems that control physical processes. So right now we've seen them in places that are monitoring water quality and some limited operations.
Speaker 1: We haven't yet seen.
Speaker 8: Them touch systems that would affect quality, so we're not seeing We're careful to caution people, this is not about hackers poisoning your water system, but the threat is real and there's a real concern that could be a future problem. So securing these systems so that that can't happen is of critical importance.
Speaker 2: I heard a couple of people talking about this. Tell me if this is true or not. I heard somebody saying and stories like this. What you find often is this is Minnesota, and it's about the water systems possibly being hacked by the Iranian hackers and stuff. But sometimes I have heard that there will be They got like some monitoring software that's set up so they don't have to drive all the way out to a water facility and check levels and see stuff. And the monitoring software that they have set up maybe is not very secure and has like the default password, and when they gain access to it. It doesn't take brilliant level hacker, you know, hackerman knowledge, it's kind of basic. But they're just looking in the right places and then they can't really necessarily impact the quality of the water that you're drinking, but they can inconvenience the people who are operating those Is that what is happening here or is it more or is it worse than that?
Speaker 8: That's what's happening right now, and so yes, it's one hundred percent an accurate description of what's going on. They are getting into systems that are remotely monitored.
Speaker 1: So you don't have a.
Speaker 8: Human in the in you know, walking your waterlines anymore. You have remote monitoring, so you have one person who's miles and miles away keeping track of what's going on. So the hackers are getting into those systems because as you said, they've got to fault passwords or some of them don't have passwords at all. Yesd Yeah, it's bad. And so you know, you can do a search and figure out what's connected to the Internet, and so that's what they're doing. There's a similar to a Google search, it's called a showdown search, and you can identify pieces of equipment that are connected to the Internet, and if you identify piece of equipment and you know what it's default password is. Because there are manuals out there so that people can configure their systems, they're supposed to then change the default but if they don't, then a hacker can use that password and get in. So they are affecting the monitoring of the system. They are not affecting chemical composition at this stage. Okay, again, I want to caution that could happen. That's not what's going on right now.
Speaker 3: When I said chemical composition though, like is does that mean one of the concerns that you know, Sean talked about facilities that are monitoring water, but there are also facilities that treat the water, and like so is one of the concerns that like, hey, we put in a trace amount of this chemical to make sure the water is clean. However, if you were to, you know, type in the default password and say we want you know, fifty times the amount of that chemical, is that kind of the down the road concerns that they could overtreat the water or even I mean undertreat it would be a problem too. But I would think that overtreating would be a big concern as well.
Speaker 8: Right, that's the kind of thing we're concerned about, is if you were to affect the chlorine levels, right, you want a little bit of chlorine to kill bacteria. You don't want a lot of chlorine. So it's that sort of yeah, and so there were there was an incident about five years ago at this point in Oldsmar, Florida.
Speaker 11: Some of your listeners may remember.
Speaker 8: I think it's still debated whether that was actually an outside job or an inside job. It's it's messy when it comes to cybersecurity incidents.
Speaker 12: But the concern at.
Speaker 8: The time was that the hackers sort of went into the system and said, instead of ten parts per million, I would like ten thousand parts per million, Right, So that could dramatically, you know, affect and really poison water supply.
Speaker 1: I remember this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's that kind of thing. Again, that's not what's precisely happening here.
Speaker 3: No, they've got people down on Oldsmar. They wear shirts said Oldsmar was an inside job all the time.
Speaker 2: It was a great conspiracy. Okay, here's let's let's get into you. I like how you're being even handed and how you're handling all of this well, let's get into sort of worst case scenario here. A lot of times when people think about hackers, hackers from Russia, hackers from Iran, hackers from China, wherever, you know, some some adversary to the United States of America, they think about them hacking websites or you know, maybe bank accounts or some things like that. But in this case, we're talking about infrastructure. What would be annie the nightmare situation? Are we talking nuclear power plants?
Speaker 1: Are Like?
Speaker 2: What what would be the nightmare situation that they could hack into?
Speaker 11: If you want to stick on water, it's wastewater.
Speaker 8: If you have a if you dismantle, disable, corrupt the pretty wastewater systems, you can make a city uninhabitable in a matter of hours, right, like you have. This is really serious stuff. Yeah, So like that's my that's my real big scary.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me an example of what could happen there?
Speaker 8: Right, you talk about cholera, like it's that level of that kind of public health crisis. You've got to get people out of a system where you can't pull sewage water out of a.
Speaker 2: System like they would somehow hack in and re route sewage water to places where it was with having that big of.
Speaker 8: An impact or just you know, slow pumps or things like that, so you weren't pumping dirty water out of a system. Yeah, precisely how it would work. Like, I'm not a wastewater expert. I'm not sure precisely how you would go in there.
Speaker 1: And do it. I also don't want you to waste water expert.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we needed to give the advice to the bad people who want to pull this off, right, that might be let's.
Speaker 1: Not give them any ideas.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people are saying, why are these things connected to the Internet at all? If they just turned off the Internet connectivity, then that nobody would be able to hack into these things and we wouldn't have the worry. Is there a reason for that to be the case?
Speaker 8: Yes, we have connected all these devices to the Internet because it's a lot more efficient if you have one person monitoring seventy sites as opposed to I don't know ten people each with seven. Right, the more you could do remote monitoring, the fewer people you need to run a system. And so over the nine these in early two thousands, we digitized everything. We just also didn't install the security procedures and security controls that we should have installed at that time, and now we're seeing the result of that. So there's a way to do remote monitoring securely. It's just you need strong passwords, you need firewalls, you know multi factor authentication, right, you want an operator to have to sort of jump through multiple hoops to make sure they're connected correctly. That not just any schmow with a computer can get there. You want the operator to have access and no one else. And the problem is we haven't installed those protections along the way.
Speaker 2: What about things Annie, like you know, your your power grid or your things as simple as like hacking into the street lights and these sorts of things. Has there been any thing like that that historically has happened that we should be worried that that could be something that these nefarious hackers could do.
Speaker 8: Sure, so the I don't know if we specific in street lights. I got to sort of wrap my brain on that one. But we are seeing a lot of attempts to compromise the electric grid. Two particular incidents come to mind.
Speaker 1: The first is.
Speaker 8: Late last year Russia compromised a number of uh what are called distributed energy resources renewable energy and things like that in Poland, and they actually were able to get into the system in such a way that they disrupted operation of those particular facilities of the generation from those technologies. Luckily, you know, it didn't crash Poland's electric grid, but it did have some significant impacts on the operation of those facilities, so sort of proven that it's possible.
Speaker 1: The other thing we've.
Speaker 8: Seen over the past couple of years is that China is at least according to the US intelligence community, pre positioning capabilities to disrupt energy generation.
Speaker 1: So what that means is.
Speaker 8: We're basically seeing hackers sitting on the network, but they're not sitting on the network in a place that would be useful from an intelligence perspective. They're sitting in a place in the network where if they wanted to flip a switch, they could cause a disruption. And so that is really concerning because we know they're there, we just don't know exactly everywhere where they are.
Speaker 2: Well, when with a story about the water plants being hacked around the United States, specifically in Minnesota, the New York Times having all these stories up, where is your internal alarm system?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you on edge that there could be something big that happens where we go, Oh, we haven't really been worried about hackers having such a physical impact on our lives, but we are, like, do you think we're really close to that nightmare situation?
Speaker 1: I don't know for close.
Speaker 8: I really hope this is the wake up call, right, the story about China prepositioning capabilities that was like three four years ago. At this point, those of us in the cybersecurity world, we're sort of pulling our hair out, and it wasn't getting the level of sort of national attention that all of us thought needed to happen because nothing had gone boom.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 8: What's happening now is that we're actually seeing impacts. So I hope that what that means is that we start paying attention and we actually start securing these systems. So hopefully that this is you know, Canary and the coal mine cours source situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that sounds that seems like the obvious thing to me. I hope there's people listening to you. I'm sure there are. Annie Fixler from the Foundation for Defense of Democracies very smart. She knows about all things cyber technology and Iran and the cross section of all of those things brings us to a story like this. Thank you, Annie, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for having me there.
Speaker 2: She goes, and this is like, this is one of those things that people don't consider. You usually think about somebody hacking like the White House dot gov website or taking that down. These are like, if somebody hacks our sewage systems, our water systems and has an impact on an entire city, people will be freaking out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to consider that.
Speaker 2: But as she's talking about, and I think she's right to say it, you can make a place inhabitable in just a matter of you know, not not even that much time. It was pretty crazy. So there we go. She was very nice to talk to. Annie Fixler. Thank you for your time. Quick break. When we come back, we'll see what you think about all of this. We'll get to more details on that in and out situation. One of my favorite stories.
Speaker 1: Of the day.
Speaker 2: Going to lead us off. We got to figure out what happened, and I need your help to do so. That is coming up next on the news Junkie. I saw this weekend that that story was out there about the water plant. Sound was like, my guess is that this is not nearly as complicated.
Speaker 1: I kind of lied to her a little bit. I didn't hear a conversation.
Speaker 2: It was just my guess was that this was about the interconnected systems where people were trying to monitor water levels and such from far away, and then there's just people don't change the password, even when it's like a water dreaming facility. You're like, just change the password a little bit, just like put a dollar signs in your s's or something. Just something to make it harder for Iranian hackers to hack into our water supply.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 3: She did low key tell me about a website I had never heard of before. Though, Well, what I.
Speaker 1: Heard her say, like the way to search things that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some to search for Internet connected devices?
Speaker 1: Are you searching Internet connected gus?
Speaker 11: Is a hack?
Speaker 1: What are you hacking right now?
Speaker 3: I haven't hacked anything yet, but I know the default password.
Speaker 1: You guys heard that, he said? Yet?
Speaker 2: Did you hear we were talking during the break sea line. Did you hear about Zach Brown band?
Speaker 1: You know them? Right? Yeah? Okay? Did you did you have this in the hot sheet or down? No?
Speaker 2: I did not, Okay Zach Brown Band played their fifteenth straight sold out concert at Fenway Park in Boston last night.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, I did he did the Oprah thing right? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's thirty seven thousand fans at Fenway Park and Zach Brown band guy comes out and he says, I'm buying every single person here a cruise for two people on the Margarita vill at Sea cruise ship. Every person here a cruise for two people. So thirty seven thousand people were there and they all get a plus one. So that's seventy four thousand cruise line tickets on Margarita vill at Sea. He says, every single person here gets a cruise for themselves and a loved one to go on the boat. This is the biggest giveaway in history, ladies and gentlemen, tonight at Fenway Park. And Zach Brown was working with Margarita villet c to do this. It says, according to the band, the total cost of the gift is more than forty million dollars, all paid for by Zach Brown.
Speaker 3: No shot, right, no shot, It's one hundred percent paid for it by Zach Brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no shot, is Zach Brown? I mean, I'm sure he's wealthy, he's done very very well. He's got a huge fan base. A little bit chicken fried, right, Yeah, we all know it. Cold beer on a Friday night. We know the song. But there's no shot he paid forty million dollars for everybody plus one to be able to go on Margaritaville at see. They must have cut him some craze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they cut him a crazy deal, or they footed part of the bill. I mean, I don't know if they said that this was like sponsored by anything, but I mean the I guess in execution of this giveaway, you would have to think that, all right, if somebody is sponsoring it, what's in it for them? Like, you know, are they putting, you know, putting their logo on the side of the cruise ship. So my only thing that I could guess would be that just the Margaritaville people cut him some insane half price or so deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah even but if it was half priced, twenty million dollars, that's a lot just for to give everybody that went to your concert or cruise. That's crazy. So I'd love to know what he really paid for them. But Zach Brown Band fifteen straight sold down a concary, a family park, and they say he paid forty million dollars for everybody plus one to go on a cruise for two aboard Marguerita Villet.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: If you think about it, it essentially makes the price of your cruise the half the price of your concert ticket. Yeah, so whatever you got your ticket for, as long as you got in the door, you have the ticket, you have the proof that you were there or whatever. I don't know how they're they're how they're doing that, or how they're authenticating people, or how you even claim this prize, but I do know that the cruise is probably I mean, Margaret Ritaville is on the cheaper side, but probably more than the cost of most of the tickets to that show.
Speaker 2: Maybe possibly, it depends on how long of a cruise it is, and a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: But and there's a minimum cruise man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like a really bargain basement cruise.
Speaker 3: I'll be lucky to give him the case, you know about boat route and just like take the Marguerite at see out, you know, out to international waters and then cruise.
Speaker 2: But now just let him gamble a little bit and then come back. Yeah, it's just for the just for a couple hours. All right, let's go a three hour tour if you will. Let's go over to this clip eight point nine million views. Trump was talking about Japan on Air Force one. I hope we can hear him well, because sometimes it gets a little rickety with audio on Air Force. On Air Force one, it is I hope we can hear him, okay, number one. And he does love talking about Japan. He's a big Japan fan. But this is going pretty viral because of the way he put this here is.
Speaker 4: I'll explain, because we have a good relationship with.
Speaker 2: Japan, all right, She said, why is the US intervening to support Japan? The United States apparently is buying a bunch of Japanese currency to booy their currency on international markets and help them. And so Trump's been asked, why are we doing this? Why are we buying Japanese currency to support it.
Speaker 4: We're very strong, very very strong financially that they are if they have a weekending in and they wanted a little bit of help, and we're always there for Japan. Japan's been very good to us, with the exception of course, of Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: They were not good.
Speaker 2: Japan has been very good to us, with the exception of course of Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that part was not good.
Speaker 2: Just to clarify, although I would argue that was that was a while ago.
Speaker 1: That was a while ago.
Speaker 2: And I would also say Trump, where you say, like, Japan's been very good to the United States with the exception of Pearl Harbor, I would argue that they do have. They do have a pretty good claim for US not being fantastic to them in the direct aftermath of Pearl Harbor. Yes, the Japanese could say, hey, we've you know, we've forgiven you for the old atomic bombs you dropped on us, so you could you can maybe get over the Pearl Harbor thing if you don't mind. That's what he's saying there on Air Force one. This doesn't count as back on a plane, does it? I don't think so. They're back on a plane before we do that, though, Is this Is that it for that clip? Because I thought there was one more thing.
Speaker 1: That that he says.
Speaker 4: Always it for ja Ben spend very good to us, with the exception of course at Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Of course they were not good.
Speaker 4: But he was getting out of that financial benefit, financial benefit.
Speaker 1: We also it's also good for the world economy.
Speaker 4: But we make like when we did with Argentina, I got criticized, we made twenty five and what.
Speaker 1: Else do you say?
Speaker 3: And one of these clips, he asked the reporter where they from, where they're from, and then he they said ABC, and he says BBC and she says no ABC. He goes, oh, no, that's even worse, like the BBC better or something like that. Does he know that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right here? Okay, this is this is the clips Land's talking about.
Speaker 4: Let's say everybody wants held me from our country.
Speaker 1: The BBC means BBC, BBC, Oh.
Speaker 4: ABC, that's worth I like BBC better than ABCS.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know. He doesn't know what BBC means.
Speaker 2: I don't think somebody talentim Please, good god, mister president.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know what you just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna get meaned to do oblivion. Okay, Uh, let's see. I want to get to a couple year dispatches, but I'm hesitant and ahead of them. I'll very quickly tell you a story about a woman who's in trouble. And this woman had a wedding that was scheduled, all right, And they're trying to figure out why this woman did this. But I I have some questions myself. So she was at a church, Church of Jesus Christ in Latter day Saints in Caysville. So oh Mormon, Yeah, Mormon church. And here's here's the headline. This is a true story, right, this is real. It's from the Salt Lake Tribune. It says she was set to get married. The night before her wedding, she used the tampon to set fire to the Utah church where she was going to get married. Police say, and the story about this lady is crazy. A woman was arrested and accused of setting fire to a meeting house at the Church of Jesus Christ the Latter day Saints in Kaysville.
Speaker 1: The hell of a way to let people know you got cold feet, it is, police said.
Speaker 2: The twenty five year old stole a lighter and used a tampon to start a fire under a chair inside the venue. The night before she was going to be married in the church. The woman from Wyoming was decorating the church with the groom and other family members.
Speaker 1: That evening.
Speaker 2: The group was getting ready to leave for the night, and then the fire alarm went off. The group searched for flames and found a fire burning in the Women's Relief Society room, where somebody used water from some of the wedding decorations to help put it out. Another person used a fire extinguisher. During the investigation, they said the fire appeared to have been started under a chair that was stacked against other chairs along the wall. Under one of the chairs, there were some items out of the ordinary, including what appeared to be a tampon with the active applicator on the floor. The groom told police that he and the bride to bee had gone to an Ace hardware store earlier that day. They go to the Ace Hardware they look at the camera footage and they see his wife to be stealing two lighters and hiding them in her shoes, and she takes the lighters that she stole and she goes to the church and she tries to set the church on fire. That she's going to be married at the next head. When the bride spoke with the cops, the officer wrote that she provided a different first and last name than her legal name, in a different birthday than the day on her Wyoming issued license. In an interview on Monday, she acknowledged stealing from the hardware store, but wouldn't say what she took. She was asked about the lighter, she said she does not carry a lighter, does not smoke, nor would she need one. She was arrested today on suspicion of aggravated arson, being held without bail in the local jail. The officer who documented her arrest noted there were five others in the building when the fire took place. He said she was deceptive and continually took drastic steps to hide her lies. The bride, by the way, had not obtained a marriage license for her own wedding that was to occur the next day, but she lied to everybody saying that she had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you'd think that the groom would have known that. Now, I don't know if this is the same everywhere, or maybe she didn't tell the groom about this. But I had to be there to obtain my wedding license, marriage license. I think I even had to go back the second time because we lost the first one, so we had to go back and get it replaced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The groom she have known something was off if he hadn't also had not taken part in obtaining any marriage license. You want to talk about red flags? Run, Okay, run.
Speaker 2: This is the exact type of Casey Anthony type person that you need to run from as fast as you can. This is BPD on display, borderline personality disorder.
Speaker 1: Run.
Speaker 3: But I mean, is that even a problem. She obviously doesn't want to be married to you. She tried to burn the church down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did.
Speaker 2: She try to burn the church down to hide the fact that she didn't get the marriage license that she.
Speaker 1: Lied about why. I don't know, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I just think it's clear she doesn't want to be married to you, and she's willing to go through some extreme lengths. So I don't see it being a very difficult process to go, Hey, we're done here, sayonara, good luck.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That doesn't end the gate engagement, though it sure should. Somebody calls it a menstrual molotov. This is true, that's true. All right.
Speaker 1: Rate my blank for this week.
Speaker 2: Your distraction, if you'll play along, is to give us your best dad joke. We got to try not to laugh at all. We have not really laughed very much through the ones that we've received, but there are a ton of them, so we're going to work them in and the rest of the show here. We'll get some of those on right before we do Jury Duty, which has details of the in and out situation, and update on the THC Drinks. An update on that that is twofold if you're interested in following that story. I got some new bombshell information and an email coming in that's coming up next on the News Junkie, we'll get to your rate my blank dad joke.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if any of these are going to work. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how this is going to go this week, but we're going to see how it goes as we roll along here a bit on the show. Maybe one of them will work and make us laugh and then that one's the winner. I have no clue. I don't know, but I know so far they have been duds. And if Sea Lane again can guess your punchline before you get to it, then you are not going to be up for the product. How Chef's Kiss? Was it that the promo that I was calling that guy out for actually aired later on in Today's I heard that, Yeah, I think we might get more of those if if there's any other promos that they can steal from, they'll probably do that.
Speaker 1: And some of these are so bad, so bad, one of the junkies. How you doing today? So here's your dad joke for you? Why was six mad at seven?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 2: Immediately a disqualified sea Lane new at the punchline was going to be here?
Speaker 3: This is why six was afraid of seven? Seven, eight nine? Yeah, here's muff mouth. Oh what's going down, junkies? So I asked my dad if he could explain to me what a solar eclipse was, and he said, no, son.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's Finn Fann. What up, news, junkie, you got one for you. These two blondes walked into a bar. You would have thought they'd seen it. Okay, all right, we're just taking these in. We're taking these in. Mm hmmm. What I was?
Speaker 3: I was afraid because you know, two blondes is a good start. It's ah, it might be a good one.
Speaker 1: One more. Here's Rusty. Now.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I'm smitting his dad joke right, but here it goes first dispatch you ever?
Speaker 2: Also, jesus, Wow, I've told my doctor I broke my arm in two places.
Speaker 11: He told me to stop going to those places.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, not new, not particularly great, not gonna make it into the finals.
Speaker 3: The dad trope of you know it hurts when I do this, well, then don't do that. We gotta get better.
Speaker 2: We got to raise the bar here all right, I want you to raise the bar in the final hour of the show.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's do Jury duty.
Speaker 2: Court is now in session, So put your phone down and pay attention before we.
Speaker 1: Call the bailiff over to whip your ass. You're knowing jury duty with the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only mode wit of the DeWitt Law Firm. Injured on the go, just call MO eight hundred, Call MO eight hundred, Call MO, or go to just CALLMO dot com if you need an attorney. That's where you go eight hundred Calmo, or go to just CALLMO dot com.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: One of the things I saw was they ended up releasing the guy and dropping the criminal charges against the former Olympian David Hearn, who they the federal government and the Trump administration accused of deliberately damaging the reflecting pool. The Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool after it underwent a renovation. They're like, this guy did it, and they arrested him. And here's the craziest thing. Let me bring this up so those on the stream can conceive. Here's the government's motion to dismiss the charges against this guy. This dude should sue, should sue. You'll see why.
Speaker 1: In a second.
Speaker 2: The United States of America buy and through its attorney, the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, respectfully moves to dismiss the indictment in this case. This is the person they said destroyed the reflecting pool for the reasons set forth here in this case should be dismissed without prejudice pursuant to Rule forty eight of the Superior Court Rules of Criminal Procedure. The United States submits as follows. This is the US government. Based on the initial reports provided by the Department of the Interior and the US Park Police, The United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia presented the gretury with evidence that damage to the reflecting pool was caused by vandals, including the defendant in this case, David Hearn. That's where we were we knew that some there's like a dumb drama going on about the reflecting pool, and now are they cutting it?
Speaker 1: What's happening? Are we.
Speaker 2: And they're like walked along with a razor and they're blaming it on people. And then this is what they say in the court case when they asked to drop the charges against this Olympian gud. However, it was not until after the return of the indictment that the Department of Interior provided additional documents indicating that the damage to the Lincoln Memorial reflecting Pool in June twenty twenty six was the result of flawed installation by the contractor, Atlantic Industrial Codings and the rush to complete the project prior to the events associated with the America two fifty celebration in the week surrounding Independence Day twenty twenty six. It was not until after these documents were produced that USAODC first became a aware of the information showing the damage was a result of a botched installation and not vandalism as initially represented by the Department of Interior. So flat out they're saying, like we arrested people, We got grand jury indictments for people, we were talking about how these people had been arrested. And actually the whole time the contractor who was doing the reflecting pool was lying to us and they botched the installation. Nobody actually cut it up, Nobody destroyed it. This guy that they charged with it didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: I don't think nobody.
Speaker 3: I don't think we ever thought that he cut it up. They said he cut it up. They said, I don't think I never thought he cut it up.
Speaker 2: If I was an attorney that could take on a case of this size, I would think they had a pretty good case here. They just arrested this dude and charged him with cutting up the reflecting pool, and then they I said, afterwards, whoopsie. Actually it was the people who were charging us millions and millions of dollars as taxpayers to do this work on the reflecting pool, and it wasn't actually the guy we arrested.
Speaker 1: Not a day for Atlantic Industrial Coding or whatever.
Speaker 2: AI see, yeah, a, I see, having a bad day on the Nancy Guthrie front. They finally released the two ransom notes in this case. Here they are, I'm going to read them to you. The first ransom note that came in was to kold News. This came in from the news tip form on their website. The first message from the kidnappers of Nancy Guthrie said, Hello, Savannah, we have your mother Nancy. She's safe but scared. She will be held for ransom and once payment is received she'll be released unharmed. We will be holding her for a maximum of seven days. You will need to send bitcoin in the amount of four million usd before five pm on Thursday the fifth. If payment is not received, the ransom will be increased to six million US dollars, which will need to be paid by five pm on Monday the ninth. Once payment is recive the bitcoin address below, she'll be released within twelve hours of deposit to a safe drop off location in Tucson, Arizona. If payment is not received by the last deadline on Monday the night at five pm, she will be killed. Your mother is aware of this and her life is in your hands. It isn't the best interest of everyone to have this completed as soon as possible. You will not be able to contact me from here on out. There will be no negotiation. Do not play games. Law enforcement will not be able to help you. Then they block out some of the identification and then the bitcoin address, and they said the person left this message she had a white smart watch on the floor of the foot of her bed and a white floodlight in the backyard was destroyed. So that was supposed to be the information that proved Hey, these people must have known. That was on February second.
Speaker 3: Is there any way anybody would have known about the smart watch on the floor, I don't know, or the flood light.
Speaker 1: I don't know, mate.
Speaker 2: Possibly that was on February second. On February sixth, after the first deadline, they sent another message and it said, Guthrie family, we did not fully grasp the seriousness of her physical condition. We they're using we here a lot. We never intended to hurt her talking about Nancy Guthrie. That was not our intention. She perished shortly after she was taken. We believe it was heart related. She is buried in nature.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Nothing you could have done could have changed the outcome. We want your family to know this and hope you can all find peace. We are truly sorry. So that was the second message. The rest of them to TMZ were all fake nonsense. They knew it the whole time, but yeah, I mean the second one's kind of interesting putting. We never intended to hurt her, that was not our intention. The first message you sent said you would kill her if you didn't get the millions of dollars, So there was definitely an intent to possibly hurt her at some point in time. But they finally released those and the Wall Street Journal this weekend, as I mentioned, had an article about how bad this dopey ass sheriff completely botched this case. Just an absolute dereliction of dirt duty on this guy's part.
Speaker 1: This stupid sheriff what's his name? Sheriff? Oh god, what's his name?
Speaker 2: Oh let's see say, well find that real quick. I know we're late for break, but that sheriff sheriff duty. This this guy out there who was involved in this whole case with the Savannah Gouverner and anteguthri thing.
Speaker 1: Sheriff Nanos.
Speaker 2: What a catastrophe, What a joke, What a joke this guy was, Chris Nanos, absolutely an embarrassment to law enforcement, that guy, and the Wall Street Journal lays out all of the things that they missed in their little po dunk investigation. All right, quick break, when we come back we kick off The Power Hour. I'll give you that update in the Power Hour about the THHC drink band and a whole lot more, including a pick aside before we wrap it up today The Power Hour. It's coming up next on the News Junkie. Got an interesting piece of news for you about the show tomorrow. In the meantime, Mike emails Tips at the News Junkie dot com. Mike says, I'm down here in West Palm Beach. Hey, Mike, Hey, folks down here in West Palm. I can tell you over the last few weeks out west, the water has so much chlorine in it. You guys were talking about the water supply possibly being hacked with the expert lady. It smells like pool water here. It's eased up over the last week, but it makes me wonder what's in the lines that needs that much disinfecting to get the call OFFORM numbers at acceptable levels, says Mike.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the email, Mike, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Somebody else says, have you seen the video of this woman who has kicked off a flight for preaching?
Speaker 1: We told you this was happening out there.
Speaker 3: This woman seems obnoxious, though I've seen this video, and yeah, I mean we talked about the preaching on the plane and whether or not that was going to happen, or that being a captive audience even more so than a subway car, because subway cars stop a lot more frequently than planes. Yeah, but yeah, this They had this woman. I think one of one of her videos was in Orlando, because I think they might have kicked her out in Orlando. And but some of the comments were like, yeah, she's preaching it all, but she's also very attention seeking, control trolling a lot of her videos. I only saw the one that was going viral. Now should I play this? Yeah, let me see here. Here's the video he sent over.
Speaker 2: This is one of them from this woman who got kicked off the fight for preaching. I told you this was a spreading thing and a bunch of people go, there's no better place with a captive audience than on a plane.
Speaker 1: And people started to stand up and preach.
Speaker 2: Their their word of their God, their gospel, you know whatever on these flights. And I said, this is quite obnoxious. People don't like that type of stuff. Here's somebody trying it out.
Speaker 1: Here's whitness Boddy Good morning. I know we're all waiting.
Speaker 6: It's kind of frustrating right this weight, but I want to tell you that God's timing is perfect and God knows everything, and maybe he's sparing us from danger today.
Speaker 1: So I want you to rest and know.
Speaker 6: That Jesus Christ loves you so much that he died on the cross for your sins. He rose again in three days. He's alive and he's the one true God. But the wages of our sin is death, hell forever. Apart from Jesus, we won't make it to heaven.
Speaker 1: But when she says hell forever, it's unlike she's pro hell just for a second there, like hell forever. This is obnoxious.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 2: I don't care what your religion is, and I think the same people who might support this on some level, if some Islamic dude gets up, some scholar, Islamic scholar wants to spread the word of Mohammed and he starts preaching to the planet, be whoa captain, terrorists sit down over there, that I don't want this, not because it's religion, because it's annoying.
Speaker 11: Lord, repent of your sins.
Speaker 1: Told her shut up, coming back very soon.
Speaker 6: I pray protection over this flight in the name of Jesus. Amen, Amen, bless you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the crowd goes wild. Yeah, yeah, Amen, Hello there she is. Hello everybody.
Speaker 2: She said you got kicked off of Alaska Air for this. There was one more video right here.
Speaker 7: Supply surprise a story as long as it flies.
Speaker 1: Wild insane energy. But I guess we're back on a lame. I'm such an idiot that I believe you're still fall for this. It's like, oh, cool, he's got the audio of the people on the plane list.
Speaker 3: I even thought that do you sounded a little sarcastic, like, oh, that goes the song I've meant it.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, here's the second video.
Speaker 11: You can't just tell me to get my stuff and then not tell me what's going on.
Speaker 1: Okay, so full of me?
Speaker 12: Stuff is full of me.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're still not telling me, still not telling me. They don't feel safe.
Speaker 11: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the message of Jesus Christ was unsafe.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 5: Do I do I have any Uh?
Speaker 11: Do I have any guns or anything like that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 11: I don't, So so freedom of speech is not safe.
Speaker 6: So if I said something else, would that be okay?
Speaker 12: I'll tell you what this is.
Speaker 11: It's called spiritual warfare.
Speaker 2: You know why I love this kind of victimization nonsense, I absolutely love this stuff. You're like, I thought we had freedom of speed, and you go, yeah, does it occur to you that freedom of speech doesn't allow you to say whatever you want to the captive audience on a plane stuck on the tarmac, that maybe those people are going to operate under the rules and regulations of what the aircraft and airline are suggesting is the right thing to do at that time, and that the whole world doesn't revolve around you.
Speaker 1: Have you ever considered that freedom of speech?
Speaker 2: Okay, freedom of speech next time you really want to exercise your freedom of speech. And I'm the biggest free speech person you'll ever meet in your life. But I'm actually a free speech person. But freedom and diversity of opinions right without punishment in so many cases.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't mean that you could do stuff like this.
Speaker 2: You can't go to somebody's funeral that you don't know and walk up to the microphone and be like, I don't know this guy, but I bet he sucked. I'm just here to drop some bombs on you. At his funeral is a total and complete stranger. That's not how it works. That's not what freedom of speech is about. To begin with spiritual warfare shown, spiritual war warfare.
Speaker 11: With that he because demons don't like the name of Jesus. Yeah, but it's not unsafe to talk about the gospel.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 11: Is that a crime? Is it against the law?
Speaker 1: Can you tell me that? Is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: God, can you tell us?
Speaker 3: She's also like, she sounds like somebody who's I uh like kind of having an interaction with the police, Like what am I being charged with?
Speaker 1: It's like, Hey, that's not how this works. Are you detaining me? We told you to get off the plane.
Speaker 3: You get off the plane. That's how this works. This is not We're not policemen. We are the We are the people that are in charge of this aircraft. It's time for you to get your ass off. Well, we'll let this be a pick aside for you folks as well. What do you think the lady on the plane free speech? She should be able to say what she wants, including talking about her God and spreading the word of her God to the other passengers on the plane. Or no, I don't have to be subjected to this. I'm stuck in this plane right now, and this is an absolute disaster. Consider that, while we do the Power Hour.
Speaker 1: They said it couldn't be done. Then they said, Holy if I want, I'm so had. My wife's gonna be better now the time for the Power Hour on the news.
Speaker 2: Relations I mean, look, at least things are looking up this week. Yeah, I thought I thought that things would be set for failure when you said we shouldn't open with a clip we opened up with today. Oh, but you know, at least this is good. This is good news in some way. All Right, here we go, let's get to this pick aside for you. In fact, I even have the intro clip. Let's pick aside.
Speaker 1: This woman is.
Speaker 2: Blaming the public transportation folks for not being accommodating.
Speaker 1: She's in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: Get ready for the weirdest twist in a pick a side video that we've ever had, says, this woman is in her wheelchair. She's upset that she can't get onto public transportation. Here we go, seeling, let's.
Speaker 13: Lift down rip.
Speaker 12: Here's what happens if you're a wheelchair user and the lift breaks of the train station okay.
Speaker 2: So she's arrived in Piccadilly, Manchester. So she's in the UK and she's at this area where she's trying to get on the underground or whatever the train, and when she gets up to the stairs, she's like, how am I supposed to get up here in my wheelchair?
Speaker 1: And she thinks that this is not handicap accessible and ches to Piccadilly.
Speaker 12: And when I arrived, the lift was broken and I had my chair and attachment. I spoke to the staff and they brought down a stair lift.
Speaker 5: It works.
Speaker 12: The first option was the built in stairlift, but this actually didn't work. They figured out that it was broken.
Speaker 2: So that was two options completely down, all right, So the elevator isn't working for the wheelchair lady. Then they had some sort of stairlift and that also is not working, and there's two flights of stairs in front of her and she can't get her wheelchair up there, and she's Matt.
Speaker 3: I don't think I knew they had portable stairlifts that you could just kind of walk around with and just clamp one on and go here you go.
Speaker 2: I didn't either like the ones in the commercials or the old lady goes up the ye the side of the stairs, so she wants to get up there.
Speaker 1: She says, I'm in a wheelchair. You should accommodate for this.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna have to choose whether we think the woman in the wheelchair is wrong or whether we think the people running this train station are wrong.
Speaker 1: Let's keep going.
Speaker 12: The condoption was a small portable stairlift which didn't look as sturdy, and I was quite scared of it. Not gonna lie when they wrote it down anyway, And when we got to the bottom, we realized that my chair wouldn't fit onto it. I have quite a long wheelbase with my attachments, so we couldn't do it. We'd just gotten off a flight, too, so I couldn't even detach my attachment because how the stairlifts.
Speaker 2: Were Okay, the stairlift goes up and you're supposed to put your wheel chair on it, and it like crawls up like a robot.
Speaker 1: Almost looks like one of those pool robots.
Speaker 2: Like a little tank. It's got those like tank wheels. But it wasn't big enough for hers, so she couldn't get up the elevator. She couldn't get up the portable lift. She couldn't get up the stair lift. She's mad at this place.
Speaker 1: So what does she do? Well, she says enough's enough, and she gets out of her wheelchair and walks up the stairs taped together.
Speaker 12: And we didn't have scissors. So in the end, because I'm ambulatory and I did have a bit of energy on this day, I offered to walk up the stairs while they carried up my setup. The staff were really helpful in this case, but I'm not sure how it would have been fixed if I couldn't walk up the stairs. Travel is really unpredictable anyway, but if you add in being a wheelchair user, you never quite know what's going to happen or how to get to your destination.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, well we'll stop right here. Let's stop and consider what just happened.
Speaker 2: We've witnessed a miracle, ladies and gentlemen, after a blot twist is correct, feral kitten on twitch, we have witnessed a miracle. After demanding every possible way up this flight of stairs, she goes, well, enough, sit up, I'll just get up and I'll walk up the flight of stairs. And she walks up the flight of stairs to the top stairs. And you might be saying, well, yes, Sean, there are people in wheelchairs that sometimes have to get up in emergencies and walk.
Speaker 1: Don't you know about that? May I submit to you a video of this woman doing her part time hobby. Here she is. She also likes to do gymnastics. I guess this is her here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, boy, she's stretching and bending in ways I wouldn't think you could do in a wheelchair.
Speaker 11: To doing.
Speaker 2: She's on what is this called the balance spar beam. She's on the balance beam in the gym. Ladies and gentlemen, this woman is now able to get up on the balance beam.
Speaker 1: I mean she's fit. There's nothing about her that doesn't work. Or the same girl.
Speaker 2: This is the same woman, Okay. The woman claims after all of this that she's part of a group called ambulatory wheelchair users. And I guess these are people here here some other people in this community. Are they all women? A lot of them appear to be one. They're all in wheelchairs in this video. They're all at the airport, I believe, and look look up real quick, see like ambulatory wheelchair users. I guess these are people who just kind of use them and they can't tell you why.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Inmbulatory wheelchair users, this is some community. It's somebody who can walk or stand to some degree, but use a wheelchair to manage chronic pain, conserve energy, or stay safe.
Speaker 1: To stay safe, you use a wheelchair. What like you're walking?
Speaker 2: They use wheelchairs even though they can walk. It says common misconceptions that they're fake it. You know what, if you can do this, if you can get into a gym and do acrobatics and get on the balance beam and bend over like a reverse crab, I'm going to say you're faking it all right. I'm gonna say you're stolen valoring your way into a wheelchair. That was twist I did not expect in this scenario, but there she is. So what side do you pick? The lady in the wheelchair who ended up walking up the stairs or the train station that didn't have things to get somebody up the stairs to begin with.
Speaker 1: It's on you. You pick a side. Let us know what you think with your comments on this.
Speaker 3: I kind of side with the poor guys who had to double team that wheelchair to get it up the stairs.
Speaker 1: Walk.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine these guys who pick up her wheelchair and then they go, Okay, we're gonna carry you up, but she goes, no, no, no, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'll just walk to the top of the stairs. I'll just wait what oh yeah.
Speaker 2: All I think about is people who are actually disabled in wheelchairs watching this. Friend of mine is in a wheelchair, has been since he was twenty years old, nineteen or twenty years old. I can imagine him watching this and going like, oh god, I don't think you can grasp the amount of anger I have for a person who's doing stolen valor in a wheelchair, for a person who's like mentally bent themselves around so much that they think they're like disabled and need to wheel around and want the attention or whatever.
Speaker 1: Very very very weird.
Speaker 2: And I imagine people who are actually disabled have particular thoughts about this. But let us know what you think. There you go, there's your pick aside for today's The evidence against her doesn't look great in the moment, but we'll see what you have to say. All right, quick break when we come back. We have so much to work in and not a lot of time. People were asking about the RFK clip I've got it. We can play that RFK yelling at some people on CNN. There's a lot happening in the WNBA world, so we can try to work that in. There's this mom who got a DUI who's going megaviral, and we'll try to work in all of that. I don't know if it's all going to fit in, but we'll do our best and we'll see how that goes. It's all coming up next. I'm the news Junkie. Big text to Tom Tom for two more gifted subscriptions Preeham subscriptions. Go claim those over on a thenewsjunkie dot com or get the support train rolling for in August. It's a clear slate over there on the Gifted subscription board. And by the way, if you're listening to the podcast, that's the way you can best support the show. Listen to the podcast, be like, oh okay, I'll subscribe. Either become a premium subscriber on the website Theewsjunkie dot com, or if you're already subscribed, take it to the next level by gifting a couple to some other listeners out there to bring them into the world of a premium subscription and unlock secret shows a couple of things we haven't gotten to. Let's see, I wanted to work in We did enough of this front. I want to work in some stuff about the in and Out shooting. There was a lot of coverage of this over the weekend. Here's some of the footage. I don't know if they curse in this. I'm gonna mute this, but I'll explain it to everybody. This is right outside the in and out and the shooter was on the move. And the person that popped up was just some guy, like a cowboy hat wearing guy who's a good guy with a gun, who popped up to stop this shooting that was underway at a Chick fil a location. He got into a gunfight with the guy with a semi automatic weapon. He popped out. It looks like this might be his vehicle right here, because his trunk is open. You see the trunk is open on the vehicle for those of you watching a YouTube dot com slash the news junk. He pops his trunk open and then he gets into a bona fide shootout with the guy trying to shoot up the Chick fil A at the moment. Then there was an officer as well that got into it with this shooter, and they were able to seemingly stop this from being even worse than it was. Uh, here's here's outside this from inside somebody's vehicle. I think this is where you actually see the shooter walking around right there outside the in and out. This is in Twin Falls, Idaho, where this happened. The person was not apprehended alive. They turned their own gun on themselves. Oh it's good thing you kept this muted. You can see the Yeah. I figured that we're your questions going by, so that the video the white car with the trunk up might have been the actual original shooters, and the person came from around the way to confront them and successfully distracted them. There is I think I got the police talking about this in a press conference. Here they are. He's twenty four years old. The shooter's name is Chad Williams.
Speaker 1: Being reviewed by the Jerome Police Department.
Speaker 7: More information about that incident will be forthcoming in the days to follow. At this time, we can confirm that the suspect, twenty four year old Chad Williams, is deceased on the self inflicted gunshot round investigators are continuing to review the incident, timeline, process evidence, and conduct interviews.
Speaker 2: So he was twenty four and there's not a huge database of information about him online.
Speaker 1: He didn't have a really big imprint on social media.
Speaker 2: The Twin Falls In and Out looking at where this was on the map, here looks like I said, right by the mountains, I think wherever they are here in Twin Falls, Idaho. And it was just this In and Out burger that I think was a relatively new location. One of the employees was indeed killed. I think I have a statement from In and Out here. It is In and Out said a tragic shooting at a newly opened In and Out Burger in Twin Falls, Idaho killed three people, including an In and Out associate who was serving customers at the time. Seven others were injured. In and Out expressed deep sorrow, offering condolences to the victims' families, and said the company is mourning the loss of its associate. President Lindsay Snyder shared that the associate was helping customers during the tragedy and said the entire In and Out family is grieving.
Speaker 1: Alongside the victims loved ones.
Speaker 2: So again, the weirdest thing about this is, once more we've found the person's name and there's not a big social media imprint of this person and a clear reason as to why they did it, which we were kind of getting used to being the case. Somebody had asked about RFK and if you saw, if I saw what was happening on CNN, there was a shouting match.
Speaker 1: Not really surprising, sounds hurtful for our f K. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know how good this is going to be to listen to, but we'll give it a peek here because this was going viral over the weekend.
Speaker 14: Also trying to find out how it interacts with people's DNA, what's predisposed to to have an autistic child?
Speaker 11: Are you doing both?
Speaker 10: But you probably don't understand this because you're not a scientist, But you're not either.
Speaker 14: Because I understand Jens vulnerability gene environmental That's what I'm asking.
Speaker 11: Are you studying the.
Speaker 10: Environmental all the different environmental exposures. But your statement you have been fooled, Your statement that this has been studied is not true. Category it is considered, it is any of the stuff.
Speaker 14: It is considered decided by every scientist who has studied.
Speaker 1: This, scientists hundreds.
Speaker 14: So on the one day you are understand why people.
Speaker 1: Aren't getting at ME of Sciences, what do.
Speaker 14: You understand why people are not getting measles vaccines because they're hearing you say that it could const change of subjects.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 11: It's very much related.
Speaker 10: Show me one of the studies it's been done on the first eight the vaccine or in the first six months of life.
Speaker 1: You will not find them the National Academy of Sciences.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's tough to get in a shouting match when you're RFK because he doesn't physically have the ability no to like shout like that. So he seems even more exasperated than if you were actually yelling at a person like this.
Speaker 3: It just seems like like even regular talking is a chore for him. Yeah, it's beginning in this debate you just kind of feel bad for the guy, even if you disagree with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also saw I wanted to come back and scoop this up a little bit. Somebody was responding to the Spider Man brand New Day, and I said it was the number two all time US box office opening weekend, behind Avengers Endgame. I said, and I believe this, that it would have been number one if it wasn't for Imax being fully locked down by the Odyssey because of a deal the Odyssey had with all the Imax theaters that could have made even more money. They'll be in theaters this weekend with some Imax screens, and people who want to see Spider Man that way might boost it up really good for a second weekend. But the movie made huge money, and it was the biggest US box office weekend in the history of the box office. Somebody sent over, hey, you got the number one movie. The number one highest grossing film, they said, is actually Gone with the Wind. And I see people do this a lot, like they have a completely different list of the top films of all time, and they'll go it's Gone with the Win, the Birth of the Nation, Star Wars, the Sound of Music, and they go by how many people bought tickets, not the actual revenue or the adjusted gross of the box office, which is.
Speaker 1: Kind of fair.
Speaker 2: But I think you also when people send this over, I think you don't understand some some pretty important things.
Speaker 1: Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 2: They're trying to say, Gone with the Wind was the highest grossing film of all time, not Avengers Endgame.
Speaker 3: Call it highest grossing, you know, the biggest opening or most successful movie. Grossing literally indicates that you're talking about money. Yeah, and the money was just different revenues. Yeah, the money was different back then. It costs less.
Speaker 2: But the thing that I don't think people know when Gone with the Wind came out in nineteen thirty nine, oh see, then, I don't even know how we would look this up. I'm pretty sure Gone with the Wind was in theaters for years and years and years. Like I think Gone with the Wind might have been in theaters for four or five years in nineteen thirty nine. They weren't cranking out movies every week, and we're so spoiled, we don't understand this stuff. But in nineteen thirty nine, when something came to the theaters, it was going to be there for a really long time. And then word of mouth would be like, have you seen Gone with the Wind. I've seen it, I've seen it seven times. Just a fantastic piece.
Speaker 3: So the original theatrical run of Gone with the Wind lasted almost two years, okay, following its December fifteenth, nineteen thirty nine, premiere, it played as a high priced road show engagement before transitioning to a general release at popular prices in early nineteen forty one, anchoring continuous theater screens nationwide for well over eighteen straight months.
Speaker 1: Okay, so for years this.
Speaker 2: Thing was sitting in the box office, and I think that between all the re releases it because it was re released in theaters a lot of times too, and that also goes to the number of admissions or whatever you would get from this.
Speaker 1: This is just a weird way to do the money.
Speaker 2: I understand adjusting money over time, but back then things were so different, and like John says, it's not like there was a big selection to choose from. No, when you were going to the movies, the only reason you might say plural is because there might be one other movie rather than Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 1: There was not a lot of stuff at the box office.
Speaker 2: People would go see everything just because they I wanted to see something, even if the movie sucked, or they would go see whatever movie that they could because it was a different movie to watch on the big screen at the theater. So those times were different. This weekend Spider Man was just a few million short of being the biggest opening weekend in US history, very very very very successful.
Speaker 3: At the top of the show, when we talked about Spider Man having the weekend that it did, a lot of people were chiming in like, well, like, yeah, that's because the tickets to Spider Man are way more than the tickets were to Titanic or you know, any of the other movies that had these you know, epic runs at the box office. The tickets are so much more expensive now to go see them that less people can can get This record takes less people to set or the records at the box office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, it is, But we just go buy money. We go buy the actual money that it brings in. And if you want to do like the inflated inflation included and you know, adjusted for inflation numbers, that's that's fine. But yeah, I mean, uh, these are the classic movies that so many people saw because they were just out in the theaters forever and ever, and every person in the country saw it multiple times. You know, I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit. I'm not exaggerating that much people went to see these over.
Speaker 3: There's been plenty of movies even that I can remember in my lifetime where people have seen it multiple times. Top Gun Maverick, I knew I had friends that saw three four times, was one that especially the female audience watched over and over and over.
Speaker 2: Somebody in chat literally said they just went to see Odyssey for the second time.
Speaker 1: The Odyssey, so.
Speaker 2: They like, they'll go just see the movie in a regular theater, and now I want to see it in Imax, and you go to see the movie twice.
Speaker 1: So that still happens with this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever watched a movie more than once in a theater just because I loved it so much. I think it was the only times I've done it is because yeah, I've seen it. But then we were going out with a bunch of friends and they want to watch it, and I was like, whatever, I liked it the first time. Like I watched Team America more than once, at more than one time in theaters.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 3: It was a funny movie that I really liked, but it wasn't anything that I would have gone, I have to see this in theaters again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need the cinematic experience. That's what I need.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: The Marionettes quick break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll get into your final dispatches, which is just a wash with rate my blank, which is rate my dad joke. This week, I'm gonna sift through these a little bit and see if there's any that'll crack a smile even for us. And we'll also do these stories that didn't make the cut and said I learned to wrap everything up for a Monday. All of that is coming up next on the News Junkie. A few pieces of news for you tomorrow, one a little bit bigger, one a little bit smaller. So I'll miss the show tomorrow. We'll have two things to tell you you to talk to you about on the show. Their show related. I also am working on trying to get the senator who is He's the one who's like leading the charge against hold On.
Speaker 1: He's a center. He's a Congressman. James Cormer. James Comer.
Speaker 2: James Comer is the senator who is fighting this THCHC drinks ban and he has put together a plan to try to keep those THHC drinks in your stores. James Comer, if we could talk to him, we might line this up. Is talking about the actual thing that resulted in this band that's on the way for THHC drinks, And they said, sure, it was indeed a lot of the liquor companies. It was the liquor companies who were lobbying against these tha sea drinks.
Speaker 1: But you know who else it was.
Speaker 2: It was the legal marijuana distributors who didn't want the competition from the t interests people.
Speaker 3: So, because if the liquor companies are against this, it's quite weird that alcohol retailers are in favor of it. There's uh, you know, take this as you will, because the sources a publication called Marijuana Moment dot net, but it says alcohol retailers celebrate sentence move to keep HEMP THHD drinks legal for now.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're trying.
Speaker 2: They haven't done this, but maybe we can put a little pressure on this and make this happen to keep the THHC industry, the drink industry going. I think it's harmless and nothing but good to tax it if you want whatever. It's already expensive. But the people behind this, you should know if your THC drinks disappear in November. The story says opponents of hemp derived THHC, including state licensed cannabis operators, So the legit cannabis people who are selling weed to everybody, you don't want the competition from the THHD drinks people and alcohol distributors and anti drug advocacy groups lobby Congress heavily for the band. They got the band worked into this thing that is going to go through in November. How crazy are these anti drug people and the pro drug people work together with the alcohol people to ban THHD drink?
Speaker 3: Are these retailers in places where it's recreationally legal, because like for us in Florida, it's not really a thing. You're not using the THD drink as an alternative to real weed because legally, without a medical card, you're not supposed to have it.
Speaker 2: I will go a little deeper into this tomorrow and we'll see if we can rally some folks behind this and rescue everything. But right now, we got to get the hell out of here. Let's do today. I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ.
Speaker 1: So don't get cocky how it's done or what we call today.
Speaker 2: It is today I learned for Monday, August third and twenty twenty six is the year today.
Speaker 1: I learned this band right here. Zach Brownman pass ride.
Speaker 2: Zach Brown Band real generous with those Margarita Cruz monies.
Speaker 1: Forty million though, did he really spend forty million? Really?
Speaker 2: Zach Brown Band's chicken Fry. This song took five years to become a hit song. It was originally recorded in two thousand and three, did not go viral and hit the radio charts until two thousand and eight. Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place, Miss Eddy of the show. Get the podcast at the news Junkie dot com.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time. Everybody else Lassie song see Love Mamamaza
Speaker 7: The