Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're getta running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven, two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vasselas Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until eleven thirty tonight, taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. After the Dodgers blow out the Rockies fifteen to six, and it wasn't even that close. I'll keep saying that because it wasn't. The Dodgers allowed five runs in the ninth inning because Miguel Rojas was on the mound. I'm not even going to say he was pitching, because he was on the mound trying not to get hurt. And you know, I'll just say this this is under the category of kind of nitpicking, but kind of you know, one of those things that you know could have been avoided. Why not Jonathan Hernandez going back out there. Why not Paul Gervas just coming in. There's an off day on Thursday. You don't need to put a guy that you almost took out of the game yesterday because he was hit by the pitch on his left leg and was limping around kind of today and limping around a little bit playing tonight. No need to put him on the mound, even if he is just soft tossing. You have the lead fifteen to one. I understand saving the bullpen, but Jonathan Hernandez can't go back out there against the Rockies to throw twenty pitches at the worst. You already had to get Paul Gervas up, So why not just have Paul Gervas pitch the ninth inning. That's better than just warming up in the bullpen and never coming into the game. So I'll just say that and leave it there, because it was a great night for the Dodgers in a lot of ways, but in some other ways it wasn't so great because two guys kind of got hurt. One definitely got hurt, another one that is your starting pitcher and the best player on the planet. Got hit on his pitching hand tonight and that show, Hey Otani. Otani got hit on the right hand in the fourth inning. Luckily it wasn't a fastball, it was an eighty five change up. And Otani wears a handguard on his pitching hand when he's hitting. And the reason why it sounded so loud here at Dodgers Stadium is because it hit that And obviously even though it hits it there, it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt or couldn't bruise it. But if it's going to hit anywhere, that's the place that you wanted to hit. And that's the good news for the Dodgers. And we'll get to Dave Roberts and what he had to say about taking Otani out. He is going to pitch tomorrow, but we'll let Dave Roberts explain that as well. Eric Lower the good news makes his first start as a Dodger go six innings, allows just one earn run, through a lot of fastballs and through more curveballs than he ever has in a start or game this year. Threw nineteen curveballs. And if you were listening to the show last night, Mark Pryor explained to us, that's what the Dodgers were looking to tweak his pitch mix off his fastball, and obviously the answer tonight was throwing more curveballs. And he threw more curveballs tonight than he had all season long, nineteen curveballs. So that was good. But obviously the bad news is Keith a Hernandez, who just returned last night, looked great, look energized, had two hits last night, had two hits tonight, including a home run in the third inning and in the fourth inning, and that's where we really saw the win sing from key K. Turns out he has a left oblique string. FABI and Ar Daya of the Athletic was among the reporters asking key K questions, and we appreciate him sending us this audio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tweaked at the MVP yesterday and.
Speaker 5: That was pretty embarrassed about it.
Speaker 4: I had to talk to you guys right after I hit and tell you guys that I was paying free. At the time, I thought it was just weird tightness. Never done oblique before, so I didn't really know what I was feeling. Kim in today, I wasn't feeling great. I got treatment, but I thought I could play homer swing felt awful, and then next to that I went out there.
Speaker 5: I swung miss on the first pitch and.
Speaker 4: Of grade, and after that I went into survival mode, and uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doesn't feel great.
Speaker 4: I don't I've never done in a league, like I said, so I don't really know how bad it is, so we'll find out more.
Speaker 6: I would imagine it's pretty disappointing, especially it's probably right back, but how what sort of the emotion has been like the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Or.
Speaker 4: Frustrating to say the least, you know, just to be able to.
Speaker 5: You know, not just because I missed time, but you know, me coming back, got somebody off the roster.
Speaker 4: And those type of things, and I was only able to give the team four bats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tough prove.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty defeated right now, and hopefully we get somewhat.
Speaker 7: Good news after everything you've been through. Is it car to kind of turn off that survival mode when you feel something like that, to stop yourself and going wait now, I just I need to step back here for a second.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, that's kind of what I did today. Any other any other year, I would have at least try to finish the game.
Speaker 5: But I knew that, you know what I did.
Speaker 4: I've done in the past when I was with the Red Saux going through my core injury last year with my elbow, I just I keep going through the things and I make things a lot worse. So today it was one of those games that I felt like, if I kept going, I was probably gonna really really put myself in danger of missing the rest.
Speaker 5: Of the season. So I just told him that I couldn't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Keith k Hernandez, and certainly you could understand the disappointment, the frustration and as he described it, defeated after restraining his left oblique, having to leave the game after just returning to the Dodgers yesterday, and he was referencing Santiago Espinal being designated for assignment after making the opening day roster because of key K still coming back from that left elbow surgery. So the Dodgers now have ten days to I guess hope that Espinal clears waivers and hopefully they can get him back and he can be part of the roster again. In the meantime, who takes key K spot on the roster probably Alex Friedland at this point in time, that would be my first guest. But really the story is the disappointment we all have for keyk Hernandez that after coming back and being four for four to start the season, he has to leave the game with a left oblique string. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll get to Mookie Betts, we'll get to Andy Pajez. Jose Moto will check in at eleven fifteen. You'll also hear from Evan Phillips, who has taking another bit step to returning to the Dodger bullpen. So we'll hear from Evan Phillips as well. But like I said, show hey O'tani also taken out of this game early as a precautionary measure considering he is starting tomorrow's game, and he was hit on his right pitching hand where that right protector is eighty five change up. So all things considered, the Dodgers may have dodged a bullet right there. But let's hear from manager Dave Roberts about Otani. It's good.
Speaker 8: I think a little bit it got him on the hand or the pad, but I think it clipped his pinky a little bit, but I think we're in a good spot. I think for me, I just wanted to, you know, we had a good lead, get Dalton some couple of bats, and then get show Hey off his feet to get ready for tomorrow's start. He is going to start tomorrow. I just haven't decided yet if he's going to hit. I just want to kind of make sure how he comes in and physically I feels, because you know, want to make sure he feels really good, you know, on the pitching side of things.
Speaker 5: Did he get any change.
Speaker 8: Us sure, Hey, No, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Is there anything that you'll need to check with the hand tomorrow?
Speaker 8: No, I think it graised the hand. I think it hit more on the pad, but I know he was shaking his pinky. But I don't think we need X rays. We didn't get X rays, so I think he'll be good to go as far as the hand.
Speaker 2: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts, so obviously a big sigh of relief that Otani did not get hurt as he was hit by an eighty five change up on that right hand padding eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Last night we talked about Mookie Betts and how I said Kenny Landro, the former Dodger center fielder and a guy that played a long time in the big leagues, reminded me that you got to get Mookie Bets at least one hundred to one hundred and fifty at bats to judge his season and whether or not he needs to make some serious adjustments. I will say this, and I said this last night. It's tough to do that hitting seconds. So Dave Roberts moved him down in the order to the cleanup spot. That's where Mooki hit by the way in Game six and Game seven of last year's World Series. So it's not like this is the first time in a long time where he's been hitting fourth. And in this day and age of baseball, your cleanup hitter is not your traditional cleanup hitter. It's not Dave Parker, it's not Dave Winfield. You could have guys like Mookie Bets hitting fourth. And Andy Pajez was moved up to the second spot, and he delivered four hits. He had two doubles and a home run, one of five home runs for the Dodgers. Mookie two home runs, five RBIs and look, I'm I'm not gonna say this was you know, Zach Wheeler that Mookie Bets was facing or Trek Skouball tonight. But it's still gives him confidence and he still got the results. You can't take that away from him. And that's the biggest thing for Mookie Bets. He needs to get back into baseball shape, but he also has to keep his confidence up when he sees that batting average up on every scoreboard that he goes to these days. So for me, that's the biggest thing to take away from tonight's game. For Mookie Bets, it's just another part of the process of him getting into baseball shape tonight. And two home runs and five RBIs is certainly going to help the confidence and we'll see where it goes from here. But like I said, get the guy at least one hundred to one hundred and fifty at bats before you start, you know, going and saying that this guy's on the decline, his his career's over. There's six more years left, one hundred and eighty million dollars left of this A one ninety hitter, I mean he only has. Even with tonight at bats, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He had a great spring training. He missed almost five weeks with a strained rhyd o league strain, So come on, give this guy a break right here, and tonight was a good way to remind people how good he is. And he was this close in the seventh inning in hitting his third home run. And in case you don't know this, Mookie Beds is tied with Sammy Sosa, and uh, who's the other guy, Dwayne Johnny Mice? How gont I forget Johnny Mice. He's tied with Sammy Sosa and Johnny Mize for the most three homer games in Major league history. And in Anaheim, I told Mookie until he hits another or has another three homer game, I'm not retiring. I'm still holding out hope. David Price says, you have one more three homer game you and I'm still I'm not retiring until you get it. Mookie, all right, I won't either.
Speaker 5: I'll make sure we give me one more.
Speaker 2: And tonight he almost gave me that one more. He's Sammy Sosa and of course Johnny Maize with six three homer games in their major league careers. One more of those games, maybe ten more feet from Mookie beds tonight, he would have had seven three home run games in his career. So if Mookie would have hit that third home run tonight, I wouldn't be here tomorrow. So he wants me back tomorrow. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Lewis and east Vale. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Lewis.
Speaker 9: Hey, what's up dvday?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm doing good. Can't be bad when you know you see the Rockies and then you see the Dodgers. I mean I could be doing Rocky Talk and that would not make my life good.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, that would be a role right now. But like you said with Mooky, hey, maybe secured advice and talk to Reggie Smith, because man, he was looking great today.
Speaker 2: I hope he did talk to Reggie Smith. I'm not sure he did, but he's got so many resources and the hitting coaches are great, but sometimes somebody else that you respect, that have has done it at a high level before can help you out too. I mean, Nomar was here again during batting practice. If I'm Mookie Beds and I'm not feeling great, you know, I'm tapping into Nomar. You know. No mar can can help you out too if you're any Dodger. But there's so many great resources when you play for the Dodgers. That's what makes it the Dodgers, the guys that are around batting practice every day, the guys that come through like Reggie Smith last night. That's that's the advantage of being a Dodger if you tap into it.
Speaker 9: Right and also too, on top of that lowerd knowing prior. So that's pretty cool that I have that kind of relationship as well. But yeah, the Dodgers organization is just top tier from top to bottom, coaches and staff and everybody.
Speaker 2: But no doubt, yeah, Dodgers do. I'm not just saying this. The Dodgers are head and shoulders above everybody else in every category in Major League Baseball. And you just look at these other teams and what they're running out there and how they handle things. I mean, it's it's evident why there's so much jealous and envy out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's located right, Like you said, you could be doing a Rockies talk right now, but that's not you.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, don't give them ideas. They might send me over there, Lewis if they don't like what I say.
Speaker 9: No, yeah, but I digress man. Yeah, this is definitely a get right game for the whole team. You know, the good lookie Will Paez, the bad obviously with Keik and the big strains, so you know he might be out for a little while maybe, but you know that's I mean, probably need Keiky Moore in October than anything else. But yeah, and then the ugly like you said, I kind of didn't like Rojas as you know, closing pitcher, sort of say that was uncalled for. But at least a er Carro's got to see his son home run on off of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's seen that a few times. Kyle Caro says, three career home runs, they're all against the Dodgers. So there you go, Lewis, And thanks for being a loyal listener. Appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies fifteen to six. The Padres lost again, so with the Dodgers winning eleven of their last thirteen, including four in a row. They now have a three and a half game lead over San Diego in the NL West. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. By the way, we do have a pair of tickets to give away for this Friday Nights game, which is Alex Vesia Bobblehead Nights. So we'll give away those pair of tickets between now and eleven thirty. Let's go out to Oceanside. Steve, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 10: Steve, Hey, David, excuse me, thank you for taking my call. A lifelong Dodger fan, longtime listener, first time caller. What I wanted to ask you about is the concept the theory of using a position player in a ballout game like this to pitch. I get the idea of saving the arms and the bullpen. That makes total sense. But why the slow motion lobbing. I mean, these guys throw harder to each other in warm ups before the game. What is the advantage or the purpose of that?
Speaker 2: Well. Number one, Miguel Rojas is thirty seven years old. He was hit by a pitch yesterday and stayed in the game. Gutted it out because he was hurting pretty bad, and this afternoon and during the game, you know, he wasn't walking around pain free. I'm sure today. So that's my whole point of tonight on two fronts. Why even put Rojas in that situation considering just his age, the miles and also the fact that you almost took him out of the game last night because he got hit by a pitch. And then you know, you just have Jonathan Hernandez. You're telling me Jonathan Hernandez can't go back out there for another inning. I mean, it's the Rockies. And then you had to warm up Paul Gervais, so that defeated the whole purpose of having Rojas out there, and it almost turned into a fifteen to ten game. If that ball that was hit to right field, Sullivan's ball is another twenty five feet, then we're talking about a Grand Slam. How does that make everybody feel in the stadium if that happens. I just when you have the lead, just put the final nail in the coffin, especially with a day off on Thursday, and Paul Gervas and Jonathan Hernandez are not your high leverage relievers.
Speaker 10: I mean, I was floating high. And then in the nineteen eighty I'm thinking, what is going on here? But didn't we see the same thing from the Rockies and a position player?
Speaker 2: Just yeah, the Rockies put in a position player because they're the Rockies. They should put in a position player. They were losing fifteen to one. I could understand that, But for me, uh, like I said, it's in the Nippick category. Ish, But I you know, the Dodgers won fifteen to six, So I'm not gonna harp on this, Steve, But yeah, I thought it was weird. I would not have done it. Thank you for the phone call. I don't know what to say. I'm not like, look, I'm not going to harp on this. I'm not. I've I've said my piece on it. Okay, that's it. The Dodgers won fifteen to six. This goes back to the category of realizing where you are. We are on this side of things. Back to back World Series champions. Dave Roberts won three World Series. The Dodgers have a three and a half game lead in the NL West. They are still not hitting on all cylinders. Like I said, we could be talking about the Rockies. We could be talking about I don't know even the Guardians. You think I want to do Cleveland Guardian Talk. No, this is the best show because this team is really good and has given back to back World Series championships. Just because I may question a move or disagree with the move doesn't mean that you know things are completely awful. And I think sometimes you're spoiled as well, especially a couple of weeks ago when the Dodgers were playing five hundred ball and everybody thought the sky was falling. I mean, really, look at the Dodgers now, they've won a les of their last thirteen. Everything is okay. It could be a lot worse, That's all I'm saying. I could be doing Mets Talk right now. I think that would be worse than doing Rockies Talk. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out. When we come back, we'll we'll get to Jose Mota at eleven fifteen. You'll hear from Evan Phillips. We still have a pair of tickets to give away to Alex Vesia Bobblehead Night on Friday, and certainly want to talk about Andy po Has, who had another big game tonight. And speaking of the Padres, remember last Saturday night how the Dodgers beat Mason Miller and the Padres and then went on to beat them Sunday. Well, it all started with Alex Call at first base forcing an Aaron throw by Mason Miller. You'll hear from Alex Call and what he has to say a week later about that pivot play in San Diego eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy Dodgers beat the Rockies fifteen to six. Life is Good on an five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi.
Speaker 11: O two pitch who swung out, hitting the air at the center field and DP. He's got McCarthy turned around, he's back.
Speaker 2: To the wall.
Speaker 1: It's gone a hard run for Mokey Bets.
Speaker 11: He's dancing around second base, leaping and pumping his fist between second and third. Dodgers with a two nothing laid Mookie Bets home run number five.
Speaker 2: Mookie Bets a two out, two run home run and the first inning, he was feeling good. Eighty nine fastball from Kyle Freeland, who has had a nightmare of a season this year for the Rockies. Freeland takes his sixth loss of the year. His era now has balloon to eight zero eight. He was charged with eight of the fifteen runs the Dodgers scored tonight as they blow out the Rockies fifteen to six. Eric Lower picks up his first win in his first start with the Dodgers, going six strong innings. Daniel S Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars daniel S Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniel S Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Gotta give some love to Andy pa has four hits tonight, tiga career high. He drove in three runs, he scored three times, he had two doubles, and and he hit another home run. All in all, Andy Pahz is having an all star caliber first half. I don't see any way how Andy pah Haz shouldn't be starting in center field for the National League in Philadelphia this year. He now has forty nine RBIs And yes, that's a big stat because the name of the game is to score more runs than your opponent, and when you drive in runs like Andy pah Haz has from the seven hole, from the three hole, from the four hole, and tonight from the two hole, it matters forty nine RBIs, which leads the National League. So all of your favorite National League All Stars, they don't have forty nine RBIs. Andy Pahz has forty nine RBIs. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to ephrin in Long Beach. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, ephrin?
Speaker 10: How you doing?
Speaker 12: I want great Glenn, real quick, and I want to talk to you a little bit about our current starting pitching and see if there was any update on the glass now situation. I know he had some backspasms and tall guy problems and he calls it. So I was wondering when we're gonna be expecting him back, and do you foresee us who do you foresee us dropping from our current starting pitching rotation for.
Speaker 2: That, thanks geezy friend. That's a long ways away. I don't see him coming back anytime soon. He's just barely playing catch. And the longer that he was out, the longer it's going to take to build back up. Even Dave Roberts conceded he's going to have to go out on a rehab assignment before he even comes back. So, you know, everybody was freaking out when Snell was about to come back. Who's out of the rotation? Is it Chee?
Speaker 12: Hen?
Speaker 2: Is it Rokie? Where's Roki going? Well, it turned out Snell made one start and then glass Now got hurt as well, so the Dodgers never had to make that tough decision. So I'm not gonna sit here and say who's the odd man out when glass Now returns, because I think we've all found out that a lot can happen between now and then. Let's go out to Diego and Boil Heights. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Diego, Hey, Dave, can you hear me?
Speaker 13: I can, Hey, Dave, Thanks for taking Thanks for taking my car us my first time on the show. Longtime listener, I grew up listening to the Spanish one to ten twenty and then switched over to five seventy. Today I heard the game on five to seventy. I just want to say I got a message for the fans, the ones that say, the ones that get in my opinion, they get overly emotional. They don't understand the long season where they say mookies washed. They should DFA Andy Potters send Rokie down. I just want to tell him to, you know, calm down a little bit, give the boy some time. At the end of the day, we're spoiled.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 13: We won three World Seriess in the last five years. They've made the playoffs ten times the row since I've been out of high school. And it's just like, like you said, you hit it on the head earlier. We could be angel fans, we could be mess fans, or we spend millions and millions of dollars and our team equates to nothing. I give a big shout out to Andrew Friedman because I think he rebuilt this team. And that's just my message to all Dodger fans. I never worry when when the Dodgers struggle, because I know they're gonna come back and at the end.
Speaker 2: Of the day.
Speaker 13: That's just my message to all Dodger fans to just relax. Everything's gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: You want tickets to Friday night's game, don't you.
Speaker 13: If you want to grant me them, hey, I'll take me and my sister where she's a longtime Dodger fan too. That's just my message.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 13: I played baseball and I understand it's a hard game. So when when there's an opher, it's okay. Man, it's okay. And if you listen to the players and their messages after the game, they don't get worried. They just flipped the page. And that's kind of the mindset that I have when I'm watching them.
Speaker 2: You won me over Diego. You're a oil Dodger fan. You understand the game. You don't get on that roller coaster, but I hope you get on it Friday night because you've won a pair of tickets to Alex Vesia Babbo Ahead Night this Friday, courtesy of AM five to seventy LA Sports, your official home of Dodger Baseball.
Speaker 10: Oh Man, thank.
Speaker 13: You, it's my first time calling you.
Speaker 15: I appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Dave, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: There you go. See I bought off another listener. Hold on, Diego, We'll see you Friday night. Don't forget the games at seven fifteen on Friday, because there's another good reason to come to the game. It's on Apple TV, so you wouldn't be able to watch it unless you were here or listening to it on the radio. So there you go, Diego, Thank you, Thank.
Speaker 9: You, Dave.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna let my sister know I'm coming home from work right now.
Speaker 2: I'll let her know, all right, diego, hold on and Colin, you will get all your information. Yes, Friday night against the Phillies. It's alex Vesia Babblehead Night. Should be fun. First pitch is at seven fifteen. And don't forget especially on Friday night. Stream all the games on the iHeartRadio app. Just type in the keyword and five seventy LA Sports. Let's go out to see me Valley, Ben, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Ben?
Speaker 15: Hey, David Banks for taking my call. Man, The vibes are high on the show tonight. Congrats to Diego for winning those tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vibes are high. Ben, w what do you got for me.
Speaker 15: Yeah, man, uh, I was just wondering about Keith k Hernandez, you know, since he might be looking like he's gonna miss some time. I was wondering who who you think is gonna, uh, you know, take his spot on the on the roster.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be Alex Freeland. Alex Freeland is going to take his spot.
Speaker 15: Ben, Okay, Yeah, that's what I thought. I think that's a that's a good call, you know, good prospect in the system, and he needs some more opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, right now, he's that guy. He's an infielder. The Dodgers need another infielder, and look, he may take some playing time away from Haysung Kim because Kim has not been hitting the ball that well. So he's insurance at third base. He could play short and second as well. Thanks for the phone call, Ben, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies fifteen to six, and before the game I had a chance to interview Alex call. He was our pregame guest. To hear the full interview, you could find it on the Dodger Talk channel on the iHeartRadio app. But I'm I was curious a week later what Alex call was reflecting on as far as that key play last Saturday night against Mason Miller where he strayed a little too far off first base. You know, obviously he was going on first move, he saw something that told him to go, and then he froze. When Miller threw over to first space, Errantle and ty Frantz, the first baseman couldn't catch it, and Call and the Dodgers were off to the races. Changed the complexion of the game. So here's what Alex call I had to say a week later about that sequence of events.
Speaker 6: I mean, I was obviously, you know, if he makes a good throw, I'm going to be in a pickle there. And the odds are never literally right, Yeah, the odds are never favorable.
Speaker 2: But here's the deal.
Speaker 6: You know, against you know, one of the best pitchers in the game who's been electric, had a ton of success, and nobody's really.
Speaker 2: Had success off of him.
Speaker 6: We got a guy on base with one out, and the bottom line is, how are we going to find a way to How are we going to find a way to score a run? So getting those extra ninety feet in a situation where we've had scouted looks, we know what he looks like, we know what he does, we know what his tendencies are. But that's just the information. The information is is the information. You trust it, but no information is one hundred percent. So I trusted my eyes, I trusted the read of what we had, and I went with it.
Speaker 2: And it didn't.
Speaker 6: You know, something happened that we weren't expecting. But hey, he would throw an air and throw and we were trying to, you know, not force the issue, but hey, we're trying to win the game. We're trying to win the game.
Speaker 2: We're trying to catch them off balance.
Speaker 6: And maybe that was just enough for him to get off balance and got over to third base and then Andy had a great at bat and be able to get the sackfly. So, you know, it's a calculated risk. Obviously, you never want to get picked off, but in a situation where hey, that ninety feet matters, we're gonna have a tough time putting a few hits together on this guy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you know, let's go for it.
Speaker 6: And so then you just trust the data, trust your eyes, and Luckily it worked out.
Speaker 2: I love it Alex Call explain that whole sequence of events last Saturday night in San Diego when the Dodgers came from behind to beat Mason Miller and the Padres, And since then the Padres have been in somewhat of a tail spin, considering now they've lost three in a row after losing two out of three to the Dodgers, and that game changed the complexion of that series. The Dodgers and Pandres were tied at four going into the ninth inning, with Mason Miller on the mound, Alex Call trying to force the issue. Obviously it wasn't the smoothest of plays, but certainly you just heard the line of thinking from Call right there. And we don't know what the Dodgers are seeing from pictures as far as what tips or keys they have when they believe they're going to the play or if they're coming over the first base. Obviously Alex Call thought he saw something. But Mason Miller threw over and he froze right there instead of going straight to second base, and I think Alex called freezing right there kind of threw Miller off and kind of threw a slider over to ty Franz who who couldn't really grab it. But yeah, that was a that's one of those games moments that you're going to remember. You know, all these regular season games in October don't mean as much. You know, people forget about what took place in May and June and even July. But a situation like that, I think we'll all remember that sequence of events when you look back on the regular season. And it changed. It made Mason Miller look human. The Dodgers were different against Mason Miller. They weren't chasing his sliders outside of the strike zone during that series in San Diego, and you know, it looked like Miller got a little flustered at times with the way the Dodgers were so patient and not chasing. And that's what makes them one of the best offenses top to bottom in the main in Major League Baseball, not only the National League, but in Major League Baseball. So that that was that was a play that I was curious about, and I certainly wanted to follow up with Alex call about it eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone now celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action, new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota an eventful night here at Dodgers Stadium in a fifteen to six win. Let's start with kek Hernandez. Obviously disappointing not only that he hurt himself, but that he hurt himself in batting practice yesterday and never really said hey, I can't go, And obviously what happened the last two nights was the result of that.
Speaker 14: Yes, unfortunately, they've been there before and it's one of those times in which you feel bad number one for your team, number two because you miss so much time and returning, and number three because because of you you actually had some But he get you know, designateter for assignment in Santio Westpinal. So it's one of those things where you you're not rushing anything. Kick. It took his time, everything that needed to be done for him to get ready and to perform and to help the team was done. There's nothing you can say about that. In terms of your body, you know, getting a little bit older, more miles, things like that, tweaking something. The way you're swinging now and not having that freedom, I would say, to even swing about the way he did since last October, it's hard. I mean, there's nothing you can do. But I mean, for sure, a big loss and the way he's swinging about is he's going to be missed. But they would go once again, Dave conversation. Depths reigned with the Dodgers has been forever, and that's for another guy.
Speaker 2: At least. It was good to see Max Munsey out there in the ninth inning because yesterday he wasn't throwing across the diamond. Today he was. Today he took betting practice and he got a ground ball. I guess even in that situation, the game will find you. He got a ground ball and he made a pretty good throw at the first base.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you're right seeing Max out there earlier today, saw him throw yesterday, as you mentioned, limited today with more freedom. The bats swing was much better today too. And to be thrown out there because of the situation today, well, let's sometimes I'll baseball answer those questions. You just never know what's going to find you, or the ball or the situation to come in and say, you know, there's no time to think if I'm ready or not. If I pronounce myself that I don't need to go in the il and every image he showed that, then it's Maximunsey's time. So glad to know that. When we saw him get hit by Ashby and Milwaukee, we thought the worst right away. But to see him on the field again swinging about today the way he didn't vp and throwing, it's quite encouraging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, what do you take away from Mookie Bets and the two home runs tonight?
Speaker 14: Jose, Hey, Mookie the pull ball hitter. That's what we want to see, Dave, isn't it. That's when we know that it's there. We know that when the barrel is not dropping and he goes right to the baseball, it's got a lot of carry. The Mookie Bets that uses the big out of the field to begin with, gets a lot of backspin. That ball that he hit the second one, he actually was upset. He thought he just didn't get enough of it. But if you want to swing and the replay from the side he was just threw the zone in and out so nicely that the ball got enough spin to get it out there and get it up, you know, out of the reach of the left fielder and centerfielder. But it's so encouraging in so many ways. As you know, Dave, his confidence is the main thing that you worry about Muki Bez. He's so honest and clear about when he's not helping the team, how bad he feels. He is working his tailoff. He's adjusted some things when even with his routines swinging more, swinging less, swinging less is better for him right now. But there's a guy that you think, if you think about two moves that Dave Roberts made today and he had done this before. He moves Booking at number four and he moves Pies the number two. It paid off nicely, and the one he'd done before actually paid off two when he moved Tucker down number four when he was scuffling, and you know, the situations found him and he was a better ball club, better team. But for Mookie, I mean, just get him going somehow, because when he does good things also great things happen for this ball club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad you brought up Paz because a lot of times guys will move from seven to four to two and just because they're hitting second, they change things. How good was it to see Paz just be Piz even though he was hitting behind Otani tonight.
Speaker 14: It's a sign, Dave, and you've see Nandi developed through the good and bad. I mean, but it's a sign to me of just understanding that you're just who you are. Don't get cut up and who's hitting in front of you, who's behind you. You only do that in situations. You only pike that, and you have to use baseball IRQ and baseball smarts in different situations, thinking along with your manager and with the other manager. But in terms of you yourself, you don't have to expand his own anymore. You don't have to try to carry a team. No, none of that matters. It's just you playing your game. And that's why Dave robert zinser the question earlier today about having guys that he can move around and the fact that guys are open to that because they understand that just because we get moved up or down, nothing differences being asked of you, but to be yourself a lot of time just to take load off of you, for you to see more hitters in front of you, to see more pitches in front of you, and to slow the game down. But for Pahes, it's just so good to see this kid who you and I go back to spring training and the simplicity aspect of what he wanted was be an issue to him. He's gone through some bad times also this season, going back to some bad habits, but it's amazing how quickly he can find that, how strong he is and how dedicated to us he is to getting better, and it's just fun to watch. He's leading all the major leagues in RBI right now with twenty nine, and there's way more. I think there's also another level for him in terms of just becoming an even better hitter.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers blow out the Rockies tonight fifteen to six. If you go all the way back to the first inning, Eric Lauer made his Dodger debut. He went six innings tonight, allowed just one to earn run, and threw more balls and he had all season long. So I guess we found out what the Dodgers game plan was for him to play off his fastball.
Speaker 14: You're right, I mean lowers. The lower that we saw tonight is the lower that we saw against the Dodger so many times. Going hockey, you not figure this guy out. He's average in ninety miles an hour ninety one, maybe topped out of ninety two point four or something like that tonight. But this guy knows how to pitch. He had a terrific season for the Blue Jays last year. Not happy with his role this year, but he understood that you know what, it's a wipeout, it's gone. Dodgers found a guy that was big league ready to start, which is so hard to do in the month of May. Have a guy that can go out there and give you after an injury, five or six innings, get taken to eighty five ninety pitches. That's not either to do. So give it to, you know, Brandon Gummes and finding this guy and him being available for the Blue Jays at the right time when they were not happy with him either, but he pitched ay and he was able to get guys off the plate, Guys that are going to be diving and looking for your break the ball, looking for your change up. He has enough of a cut fastball and enough of that fastball to you know, keep you on your heels a little bit more. A great find. And as day Roberts said, if he can get me to eighty pitches, think this guy had in pitches May tenth. And the thing about how effective he was, not thrown overthrowed, not looking over his shoulder to see if the wipons ready or not. But you're saying, this is my job today. And the mentality as he mentioned, of the adjustments and tweaks for Mike Priory and Cinna McGinnis on using the curve ball a little bit more paid dividends.
Speaker 2: All right, hose, Before I'll let you go, Dave Roberts said that O'tani will start tomorrow, but he isn't sure if he's going to dh Otani. Do you still believe that Otani when he wakes up tomorrow, the hand is going to feel good enough to pitch six innings tomorrow night or do you feel like that is still in question?
Speaker 14: I think that's still in question. Let's see how he feels tomorrow. There's no need to jeopardize anything. With show Hey, you have a two way player who's just finding his way as a full time pitcher again and also as a hitter the last couple of weeks, So it all depends how it feels tomorrow. Maybe you know there's a bruise that is not showing there today after he sleeps and wakes up, and you don't want to just compromise anything that he's doing right now, because at this point of the season, there's no need to sacrifice anything going into August, September, and October. We'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. Maybe that's why Miguel Rojas was pitching. Maybe Dave Roberts was trying to save his bullpen in case he needs to do a bullpen game tomorrow.
Speaker 14: Don't take me there, Dave Hey's pitching. You never know, You never know, but I agree with you that. I mean, I would have just seen her nanda this pitch a little bit more. Drvass. You had to warm it up and had a situation like that happened last year with Kik and he got a little clothes. So I'm just glad that be Gail's fine, he didn't get hurt anything like that.
Speaker 2: Same same we're on the same page tonight, Jose, thanks a lot for calling in great great landline tonight. Johnson. You know we'll be proud.
Speaker 14: We're finally on the same page tonight. Thank you, Dave. It took a while, about five years.
Speaker 2: We'll see tomorrow.
Speaker 14: See there it goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast A great line, great Landline tonight for Jose Mota. Hey, before we say goodnight, Evan Phillips and Brock Stewart had a live BP today. They were throwing a Haysan Kim and Alex Call and had a chance to talk to Evan Phillips because we haven't seen him since spring training. He's been in Arizona. He actually threw three live BPS in Arizona before he got here to Dodger Stadium to throw to Alex Call and Hayesan Kim under the watchful eyes of Mark Pryor, Connor McGinnis, Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes. And here's what Evan Phillips had to say about how he felt today and where he's at in his recovery.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I feel like today was probably one of my more sharp livevps I had a stretch where my bullpens were pretty dialed, and then you know, naturally baseball happens, pitching happens, and things got a little little wonky for a week or so, but we work hard to dial it back in, and I think with each live VP and then each game on the rehab assignment, I'll look to be more refined with each one. Last week, I was ninety four to ninety five, you know, in my first live vps, which is, you know, compared to my previous lives and previous spring trainings, it's a lot better in a pretty good spot by comparison. So not to you say there's more in there or anything like that, but I'm just very happy with how everything's coming out. My body feels good, I'm bouncing back well, so just trying to stack those good days.
Speaker 2: So here's the plan for Evan Phillips. And by the way, he told me he only threw five of his signature sweeper pitches today because he wants to continue to stay with the four seamers, stay with the two seamers, don't overextend anything right now by throwing too many of those sliders, which is a great plan. I think he understands his body better than I do or we do. So next week he's going back to Arizona throw the more hitters one more time, and then he's heading out to Oklahoma City for a rehab assignment, which means he's on track to get back here in July and maybe at the end of June. So I have to look at when he's eligible to come off the sixty DAYIL, but you know, I feel like he would be eligible to come back by the end of June. So that is great news. And the Dodger bullpen is coming off thirty eight consecutive scoreless innings without Evan Phillips, without Edwin Diaz, and without Brock Stewart, so there's more. There's more coming at the rest of the league in the second half of the season. So the Dodger bullpen in a good spot, especially with Evan Phillips and Brock Stewart doing what they were doing today. Jack Dryer through a bullpen session as well, So I would say the Dodgers are in a very good spot with their bullpen right now. Also, before we say goodnight, want to send out our best wishes to Dodgers outfield prospect Kendall George, who injured himself in a very weird way, a freak accident last night at DOUBA Tulsa. If you're a Dodger fan, I'm sure you've seen it on social media. He was scoring on an RBI single by host Wade Depaula last night in Tulsa and had to jump out of the way at the last minute because I guess in the minor leagues or some minor leagues, well at this one, they have bat dogs instead of bat boys. Bat dogs. The dogs are trained to go get the bats, and when I looked at the video, it looked like whoever lets the dogs out let that dog out too soon, and Kendall George tweaked his left knee and the athletic is saying the Dodgers are concerned that it may be a very serious left knee injury. So I had never heard that. I asked our Minor League resident expert Tim Neverett whether or not he heard about it. He's like, yeah, yeah, they're all over the place. I love dogs. Dogs are my thing, but I'm not sure I'm all in on bat dogs. Okay, let's just have let's have bat boys. You're telling me, some kid in Tulsa wouldn't died to be a bat boy in Tulsa. I mean, isn't there enough gimmicks in the minor leagues. The stakes are way too high to even chance something like this happening. And Kendall George was having a great year sitting like three twenty three, he finally started to hit, and it would be unfortunate if his season was cut short because of something like this. But I love dogs, but I'm not all in on bat dogs right now in the minor leagues, I'll tell you that. And I'm sure the Dodgers are not that in on bat dogs after what they saw and Kendall George getting hurt. I'm not blaming the dog. I'm just saying, like, dogs are great, but they shouldn't be going after the bats. I don't know. I never honestly, I'd never had heard of that in my life until I saw that unfortunate video. Anyway, tomorrow, ye we'll see if Otani's hand is feeling good enough to start tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it is, because he has the opportunity, for the first time in his major league career to go up against another Japanese starter. Yes, he's faced them as a hitter, but never has faced them as pitching probables. So Otani on the mount tomorrow with a four and two record with an ERA of zero seventy three, going up against Tomo Yuki Sugano, who is four and three with an ERA of three eighty six. Our coverage begins tomorrow at six o'clock. First pitch at seven ten. That'll do it for us tonight. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening in case he missed any of the show. You know where you could find it the iHeartRadio app. You can also follow me on social media on x at the Real Underscore DV and on Instagram at officially vast Si. Once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers route the Rockies fifteen to six. Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night, Seal