Speaker 1: In for the True Time Marconi Award winning and Surefire National Radio Hall of Fame and ductee Gary Jeff Walker, sitting in for the great Bill Cunningham Seasons. Greetings, happy holidays, and happy birthday to me today sixty five. I didn't think I was going to make it the forty Merry Christmas on this December twenty second, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: How you do one.
Speaker 1: I'm having my birthday party on the air today in the middle of Bill Clayton, in the middle of Willie's show. I'm having my birthday party today because I knew no one else would throw me a birthday party, and my wife maybe, and she did over the weekend. And thanks to everybody who came out to the bar on Saturday. We have a gathering a gaggle of friends who are going to join us in the next three hours here in Sea Studio. And yes, because of breaking news events, the regular host of this show is coming in on his day off, or will at least be on the telephone to talk about developments in a very very specific and very important local criminal case, legal issues.
Speaker 2: That we'll.
Speaker 1: Ring hopefully very very well. Anyway, I'll save that for later on the developments that have happened in a very famous murder case that has been overturned by the local prosecutor. Someone's been let out of jail. But among the many friends and guests on today's show, My Birthday Show, one of my favorite folks in the entire world, author Peter Bronson joins us for a few minutes to tell you about a special Christmas deal for you on his latest book, and just to say hi, Peter, Good afternoon, Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show.
Speaker 2: On Gary Jeff's birthday.
Speaker 3: Hey, happy birthday, Gary Jeff. Good to be with you on your birthday.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you.
Speaker 3: And as someone who is so close to Christmas with a birthday as I am on January two.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I really enjoy.
Speaker 3: This joke I saw, which is well, did you hear what the wise men said to Jesus? No, they said, just to be clear, these gifts are also for your birthday.
Speaker 1: We all had to deal with that growing up, didn't we. Well, you know my parent I got to be honest with you, Peter, My parents were really good about that. They would get me a specific birthday gift. They got me a specific Christmas gift. By the time we got to Christmas morning, I felt guilty forgetting all these gifts, but you know, it was always it was the one big present was well, that's both Birthday and Christmas, because that's a big yea. So you've you've got to give for anybody listening who's interested in your latest book, which is the Magical History to Her five short stories about incredible Cincinnati history that Peter Bronson writes about. So well, so tell us what folks can expect if they would like to get your latest Peter.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, the quickest way you can get it go to any of the local bookstores, because we're getting pretty close to the mailing deadline for Christmas, and we can't be absolutely sure that something that ships today would get there in time, but it's probably likely, and in fact, this week, starting today, I'm going to run a promotion on my website, which is Chili dog press dot com for free priority mail shipping. Now that is two day shipping, so that could get there on time if people order today and tomorrow. Also local bookstores and Amazon, as everyone knows, they are hard to beat when it comes to practically overnight delivery. If that's what you want, So lots of options out there, but the best one. If you want to sign copy in the next two days, go to my website chilidogpress.
Speaker 1: Dot com and it's free shipping courtesy of Peter Clause.
Speaker 3: That's right, Priority mail, all right. It's the up priced shipping, but maybe more likely to get there at time.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic, Peter. I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and thank you, and I definitely will be contacting you on your birthday. I don't know if you'll have a show on seven utter WLW that day, but with you never you never know. This just dropped into my lap. I got to tell you there was no place I would rather be to celebrate my birthday than working today in the seat of a man who I Revere, who is the longest consecutive host on this radio station, this great legendary radio station. Bill Cunningham's birthday was just eleven days ago. Willie was seventy eight. I believe not telling any tales that people don't know, but I am the second longest serving host consecutively and one of my favorite things to do here on seven hundred WLW is wake you up on Saturday mornings with the Saturday Morning Edition that if we're still we're still blessed enough to be on the air. Come mid February, late February, it'll be twenty nine years and it has been absolutely my utter pleasure and a humble thank you to everybody who's let me stay on the air, including you. Take a break and the party begins in a moment, Happy sixty five to me. Sixty five years ago today, Leo and Miriam Bragg had a son, their first one. They named him Jeff, So I've been Jeff a lot longer than I've been Gary. Jeff on the phone is my mother, Miriam Bragg. Good morning Mom, Good morning son, Hi Dad, Hi sir. I wanted to I just wanted to share with the audience today on my birthday, how much you, obviously both have meant to me in my life, and how you didn't think it was necessarily a good idea for me to devote my life to radio, and you were probably right, and it's a little too late to do the right thing now, but I in spite of that, I wanted to thank you publicly for all of your support and all of your love through all of these years. I really did win the lottery. I won the birth lottery by having you as parents. And I am just so grateful, and I'm so happy that christ and I will get to see you on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day here in just a couple of days. And I love you very much.
Speaker 4: We love you too, Scents and where we're glad that we had you, even though there's been times when we wondered, Yeah, but you have turned out to be a good son to you finally have grown up. And I'm sorry to say that I cannot believe it's been sixty five years.
Speaker 2: No, I can't even for sure.
Speaker 3: Now I qualified streame diners.
Speaker 1: Wow, so I'll get I'll get your thought. So if we go anywhere, when we visit you anytime, we'll all get the discount. Truly, that's right, right, Well, we can't wait. We can't wait to see on Wednesday. Pray for safe travels and we'll see you as say Mary Christmas in person.
Speaker 4: Okay, So all right, thank you, we love you.
Speaker 2: I love you, love you, guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I am so I'm so lucky to have my parents still. My dad's eighty nine, my mom's eighty eight, and health challenges come along with that kind of age.
Speaker 2: But you know what, they're still kicking and doing great.
Speaker 1: In the studio today, we're gonna have random friends of mine first and foremost. You hear him on Saturday Mornings with the Gang from Ripley at Brookies. My friend, the oil baron of Brown County, Doug Bonnson is here.
Speaker 2: Hello, mister Bonnce.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon, then, happy birthday. Yeah rats, congrats on your buck eyes being in the National Championship A playoffs, and you're gonna come help us root them on next Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: On New Year's Eve. Yes, we will be there. Can't wait.
Speaker 1: Major party, Yes, absolutely, And he doesn't even have police monitoring the the roads between the basement and the and the bathroom, so I should be saved very good. Also joining us in the studio is a guy you yes, don't shake your head. No, You're gonna be on the air whether you like it or not. Okay, all right. Dave from Harrison who tells the bad dad jokes on Saturday Morning, has joined us. He brought cake and he he heard me say.
Speaker 2: Here, Jeff, there are no bad dad jokes.
Speaker 1: You're right, just ones you shouldn't tell so anyway, he heard me say that we had no drinks for the program today, so he brought a cooler full of drinks. Brother Ray Scott from Loveland, how.
Speaker 2: Are you man?
Speaker 5: Happy birthday by Hey, Hello to mom and dad too. Your mom's bustials say, sounds so good, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 2: I know they do.
Speaker 1: I mean that's where that voice comes from. My gueses. Yes, we're inherited. We also have the triplets, well they're not triplets, they're twins and three brothers, the Pasqually brothers. And it has nothing to do with the pizza joint, which everybody always asks when I say, oh, the Pisqually brothers are here at the bar. Oh really good. Can they get us a free pizza from next door? No, because Pisqually in the in the terms of the pizza joint in Newport and other places, has to do with a first name. That Pisqually was a first name. But Pisqually is your last name. The youngest brother, Paul, Hello sir, Happy birthday, Gary, Jeff, and Merry Christmas to you. Thanks for having us down here. This is fantasmic. Well, thanks for being had. Yeah, it's great to see you in the studio today. What what do you think of the digs? This is the first time you've been here? Right, oh, second time now, no kidding, and they let you back in the door anyway.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Paul always asked me some of the most like uncomfortable questions. Do you have an uncomfortable question for me today? I was not prepared to have an a It just came naturally for you, it does, but ask me uncomfortable questions. Question, Yeah, you're your older brothers are here. They have their birthday in eight days, and it's oddly enough on the same day since they're twins. Uh Rick and Ron pisqually have joined us in good evening, Happy birthday morning, Merry Christmas. And when you get down to Hendersonville, Tennessee, don't forget to tell your parents they can take you to Kids Eat Free on Tuesday. Well, now, I don't know now that I'm a qualified senior, don't know if they're gonna can I just walk in on my knees and maybe they'll think I'm under twelve or something. Gary Jeff, Yeah, we have a birthday card for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you very much, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: We're also expecting the course of the next three hours to have mister birthday Tuba. Last year he was here in a similar setting on Willie's Show oddly enough, and played when I'm sixty four on his birthday tube for me, and I'm looking forward to that. And also joining us today is the great Jim Lebarbara, the music Professor, and he should be here almost any time now. In fact, after the news break at twelve thirty, we'll be joined by the prof who joins in every Saturday morning on Rock and Roll Archaeology, which is one of our favorite bits we do on the Saturday show. And it is his eighty fourth birthday today. He is exactly nineteen years older than me. I didn't find this out until we'd known each other for about five years and I just mentioned, oh, you know, my birthday's coming up next week. Jim, oh really? When he said the twenty second, he said, that's my birthday. So we have been we have been kind of birthday soulmates for a long time and both have had kind of parallel careers, spending in our lives on the air, on the radio, and some of the same interests in music and people. He's a great people person well Thank you, Pus squallys. You're welcome. It was great to have met you six years ago. Remember that day, kind of what happened.
Speaker 6: I walked in, Well, I listened to you on the radio at work and always thought you were one of my favorite guys at WLW hair So stopped in huddles because you're always begging people to stop in, and.
Speaker 1: Why not begging?
Speaker 2: I just didn't vite people.
Speaker 1: Waiting in line outside.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and got in there and I said, are you carry Jeff Walker? And you looked at me and said, are you the FBI?
Speaker 1: Any anybody who comes and asks me that question, I just make sure they're not a member of a three letter agency of any kind, because you know, that's that's the first thing you want to know when you when you meet somebody you don't know and they ask, are you Gary Jeff Walker? So brother Ron and I have been going over there probably every week. So now it's like a tradition, tradition. Thursday is Pisqually's day.
Speaker 6: Paul join us when he retired a couple of years ago, and uh yeah, so we see each other, see the brother The brothers get together every one day a week, have a couple.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the question people always ask, especially as you get close to sixty five, and if you're listening and you know this, well, when you're going to retire, it's like, but do you mean retire? And everybody that's got a if you work in a job that's got a mandatory retirement age of sixty five, tell them. And it's a ludicrous, it's ridiculous. If you've got life in you, if you've got ambition in you now, if you if you want to just give up and go home and sit on the couch and dive, that's your business. But my retirement plan is death. I decided a long time ago. I'm not I'm not going to take Social Security till the last minute. I'm I'll be working at a bar or slaving over a hot microphone until they tell me I can't anymore. So, which I mean could be today twelve thirty Gary Jeffin for Willie on the Birthday show, More to Come and your phone calls always welcome. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. Now, back in the day before I did talk, I was a DJ, got a real life DJ in the studio, A guy who started as a producer. Actually, I remember this guy when he was helping me with the original Night Caps. Karen Bland is in the studio. Good evening, sir, Good, Happy birthday, Gary, Jeff? What am I saying? Good evening, It's twelve thirty nine. It's a bill cumming here. Well, used to being on nine midnight, that's true, That's probably why it is. So what have you been doing with yourself? Nothing? Working since so since so many many years ago when you were when you were slaving me, and then you were like, look, why is this guy such a hard guy to work with? Those good times I was bands and studios.
Speaker 2: I was very difficult to work with, wasn't i?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that made me the man of Hawaiium today.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Adversity only makes you strong exactly. So what are you doing these days? I know that you're doing some stuff for you still doing some stuff for the beat, for the beat.
Speaker 7: I'm still with Mogger. I'm on the beat every Friday and Saturday. All right, two am, all right?
Speaker 8: Cool?
Speaker 7: I'm still producing, still producing mo show weekdays three to six.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's a hard ass too, isn't he?
Speaker 7: How did I stuck with two of the hardest people. It's amazing, must be my love.
Speaker 1: Listen, Merry Christmas, brother thanks for stopping by.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: And speaking of happy birthdays, look who just came in the other birthday, boy day, December twenty second, the one and only music professor Jim Lebarbara has entered the studio. Same aids. We're both the same age, and.
Speaker 2: We are in the presence of true radio greatness. A guy you know.
Speaker 1: I mentioned at the top of this show that not only has Bill Cunningham won two Marconi Awards, not one, but two, and he is a surefire candidate for National Radio Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Is he in already?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He ought to be in. If he's not, you ought to be in the National Radio Hall of Fame, no question. Thank you. You got a bunch of fans here, Brothers. Doug Bonnson from Ripley, Ray Scott Dave from Harrison is here. And as he mentioned earlier, there are no bad dad jokes. We'd like to collectively say hello to Tony Rosiello and Joe Cina at the Fratelli Unedi. Very nice and the breakfast they were on Friday, and it was we were welcomed as guests of Tony's and very kind, very generous. What a wonderful gathering. Can you explain that? Just in a nutshell?
Speaker 9: For thirty five years and way way back, I was a guest speaker at one and then I wrote my book, and then I was a guest speaker at another, and then they went to some Italian singers and I went and did another talk on that, and then twenty fifteen I was the man of the Year, the Italian Man of the Year.
Speaker 1: It was a big one. It really is.
Speaker 9: And I've got a little statue of the little thing in the frame and everything at home.
Speaker 1: That's for you.
Speaker 9: I got to tell you were talking about your mom, your mom and dah and I brought back memories my when I got into radio, I'm sure because I was a pre med student in college and flunk by and camp. The first semessage, you're a real under achieve yeah. But then I had a grad scholarship for religion and philosophy at Boston University, so I was going to be a minister, and I said, wow, you're achieve Yeah. So I'm on my way to Boston and I take a radio job to get this out of my system and it never leaves. And so I know my parents were like, what is he doing? And so I go to Cleveland. Now I'm in Cleveland, and in nineteen sixty six, I'm making over thirty seven thousand dollars a year. I mean, I'm on top of the world. I want eighty dollars a week to that. And I go home. I have the little Corvette, the green Corvette, have the beard, you know, long hair. The kid across the street comes over and I go, wear flowers in your hair and I flashed the peace sign and I go and my mother was furious with me. What is wrong with you? What is wrong with you? And I never thought that they were happy with what I was doing, even though I was making. My dad wasn't making a hundred dollars a week. Is a truck driver for Forest. And my dad got called. My dad was in the emergency. I was in Cleveland now with NVC with them became my se and I got called. My dad was in intensive care and it was touch and go and I went home and uh, my dad in the hospital, went to see him and he pushes the button, the emergency button. I'm thinking, oh my god, and the nurse comes in and uh, he goes, this is my son, Jimmy the disc jockey, the disc jockey in Cleveland, and I started, I broke up in tears, you know, because you know he was part of me, really part of me. Finally is a big yeah, a big, big deal. Like I said, the thing we did in Cleve uh in Annawm, Michigan to go up there with with Art the big part that was so good.
Speaker 1: You know, we need to try and get in touch of Art Radio's best friend. Right now, have old radio Rick on the line, who's on the air with with us every Saturday morning, uh, talking about reception reports. He works on these wonderful antique radios. He worked on mine and Christas and it still sounds like my wife says liquid Gold in nineteen forty one Filco. It's one of you know, if you care about material things, and I kind of do that thing. It's such a beautiful piece and it's such a great radio. Ricky, how are you, hey.
Speaker 8: I'm great, Gary, Jeff, happy birthday to you.
Speaker 10: Thank you, thank you, sir, and hello to everyone there and jim Learbarbara, please tell the story about the time that the you received a lot of jukeboxes from a sale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell tell the jukebox story when you received a lot of jukeboxes from a sale. Oh I got.
Speaker 9: I went to buy one jukebox from a guy and then he had a garage full of jukeboxes and he said, you really would like to have all these jukeboxes when you and I said yeah, absolutely, I mean it was like a dream.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: And he said, well, it's here as for one thousand dollars. I mean, just a whole garage full of jukeboxes. So I said, okay, but I have no way of getting the home. And he said, we got two boys and we can get the trucks and we'll drive them to your house. So I bought the one jukebox the ten fifteen Willers shirt. At that time, one hundred and twenty five dollars is all I paid for this, and its been a great deal. But I knew the guy. He had listened to me on the radio on WLW. This was in He was in Indiana with the shop and he was cleaning out of garage that he had, and all of a sudden, I get a truckload and I'm at home and I'm doing the afternoon show on W. I'm going here a WLW And the first truck comes around, and I didn't tell my wife. I didn't tell Sally, and I had the garage cleared out, and my wife starts crying. You said, you can't bring that in here. You can't bring those in here. You know, I don't know what's in there. There could be mice in there, you know. And she's crying and I'm calming her down, and we're unloading. They're unloading the truck, and then the second truck came around. It was like unbelievable, one juke box at top of the other. So, yeah, that was that was a wonderful. Your wife wasn't pleased with it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, she was furious.
Speaker 2: Did she ever get over it?
Speaker 9: Yeah she did, she did. I had to get rid of a lot of that, a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 8: She wasn't pleased with the first truck. But then the second truck.
Speaker 2: Balls.
Speaker 1: We're going a well like a Donald telephone. Oh man, Uh well, Ricky, I hope you have a merry Christmas. I know you and Marie do uh kind of non conventional things on Christmas? What non conventional thing? Now? I know you've already had Christmas with your daughter, But you have any plans in the next couple of days.
Speaker 8: Well, work aside. On the twenty fifth, we still have to get We have to go out for Chinese. We just have to have to go.
Speaker 1: Out for Chinese. Ba rah rah rah rah rah rah ra. Do you have them ceremoniously cut the head off the duck when they bring it out?
Speaker 8: We try to avoid that, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I have a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful holiday. Merry Christmas to you, and thank you for all of the gifts you bring every Saturday morning to my show.
Speaker 8: And Merry Christmas to everybody there right there.
Speaker 1: All right, me too, Thanks brother old radio Rick Washburn. You've met him. He's a fantastic guy. And you know you've got to as a radio person your whole life, your heart kind of goes out to somebody who loves radio as much as we do, and maybe maybe more. He's got about four hundred five hundred radios in his house. You need to see that, that house in Indianapolis. Jim, if you ever get a chance, well I'll go up with you. We'll take a trip. Yeah, we think we should He's still planning to open up his what he calls his Purple Pineapple Museum. The basement is so full of antique radios. There's a little path to walk in and you can barely squeeze through the corridors, and it's just radios everywhere and tubes and parts that he's got arranged. It's pretty incredible in and of its elf. So what do you do on your birthday? Jimmy around you? That's about it. Yeah, that's all right. And a bunch of you know, text and emails. Johnny Bench called this morning. We talked a little while. He loves that Christmas song, Snoopy's Christmas. I said, you still like that? Oh yeah, oh yeah, it was his favorite. You know when I put a Royal Guards the Royal Guards, me said, every Christmas he come down to the station or call me. You got to play that song. Play that song for me. So that's that's.
Speaker 2: How long have you known Johnny?
Speaker 1: Since when I first got the town nineteen sixty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And uh, didn't you live in the same apartment? You lived upstairs? I lived downstairs in former apartments. I moved into a community lifting right Clifton on Dick Smith Avenue and moved in there in nineteen sixty nine. Came down and had my girlfriend was ripped, me and Susan from Cleveland and we're looking for a place to and pulled up the driveway at the form and there's a little girl a two piece bathing suit and she's blocking traffic. And there's a guy on the top floor and he's throwing a refrigerator over the balcony and the all these girls are standing by the swimming pool, these little girls, and said, guys with the and y know, and go go go, and off comes this this refrigerator down.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was trying to get a victed. He did get evicted then, but it was it was Jake Carp. It was Jay Carp with the Main Street auction house downtown and he hit the hit the driveway and I'm driving up and my my girlfriend said, you're not moving in here. That was on a Sunday and Monday, I signed the lease and moved in on my floor alone. Eventually, David Concepcion in the fault he downe the end of the hall. Next to him was Flynn Robinson. We got from the Milwaukee Broersport of Milwaukee basketball team for Oscar and uh, Mike Reed moved in. That was a bad trade. Yeah, yeah, Mike Reed. Mike Reed moved in, all pro football player. And in the right across the hall was Doug Dressed to the back up full back with the Bengals. Next door Greg Uh. Kenny Anderson moved in with a defensive back friend of his. He didn't last very long. He couldn't take all the excitement. And and upstairs directory Johnny ban and then downstairs was Norman van Leer played for the Royal Dorman Norman and Jess Phillips. It was the full back they got out of prison. Uh, the full back for the Bengals and Tommy Helms. I mean this was like, this was unbelievable. This was the one one appartment building and parties wrote every weekend there was parties going on. It was incredible. That was That was my introduction to uh.
Speaker 1: Quickly tell the story about about the date with Johnny Bench and and you wound up going out with the girl that Johnny was with. You know that's no, no, no, here's what happened. This is a long story. It's a long story. Okay.
Speaker 9: I saw I met this lady at the squirrel my friend's squirrel brought her up to the top of the end. I used to sell here, yeah, and passed away a little while back, and uh, he brought this girl up to the top of the end. And I would have a celebrity night every time there was a new band that came in and I had to date that night. But he brought this girl, and I said, WHOA. So I danced with her one dance and she lived in She was airline stewardess with TWA should just quit and move back with her parents, and her parents would move from Cincinnatia to Dayton. And I danced with her, and I guess I danced through clothes and I said something like, you know, if you're geographically it's undesirable living that far. Well, it would be better if you live closer to it. So she didn't want have anything to do with me, and scrorel I called like that night, like at two o'clock in the morning, score, what's that girl's name? What's her number? You know, she doesn't want to talk to you. So next day she doesn't want to talk to you. He doesn't want to talk to you. So this went on and then about two weeks later, where after a Reds baseball game, one of the guys, I think it was Headrick had a TV guy had an apartment up in Mount Adams. And we're sitting there and I'm sitting next to a little fashioned coordinator you, a little redheaded girl and that was my date and Johnny was sitting on the other side of me. And Johnny goes, I think my date just walked in and it was this girl, Sally. This was the girl and I had told him about her. I said, I I love of this girl. This girl's like and he goes, well, you've got you've got a date here. You're a date here, I said, John, you take her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I walk over. This girl walks in Sally. He goes, Hi, I'm at le barber. Remember I met you at the She looks at me, she goes into the washroom, walks out of the washroom, does anything.
Speaker 1: And she's gone. She's gone. So I go back and John sit next to this girl.
Speaker 9: I sit there between next to my date and John puts a big claw on my shoulder goes, hey, we gotta talk. I said, what do you mean, what do you mean we got to talk? Come here said what are you doing? I said, that's my date. I said, not anymore. It's not a good day. But that girl, Sally Yeah, ended up married her. And here's what, here's why she didn't like me. There was another girl named Donna Peters. I took her out on the Donna Yeah, Donna Perkins, and then she married a guy named Peters. And so we had a date and we went to Eddie Shepherd's Blind Lemon Mins and this other guy who really was in love with this girling was with.
Speaker 1: It was a double date.
Speaker 9: Was early on a Saturday night, probably been close to eight thirty nine o'clock. It was gonna be a good night. It was gonna be a good night. Very beautiful, long blonde here. So I said, what do you want? I wanted to the bar and she said seven up. I get to the bar and the bartender I was seven up, Jim, it's the same as a beer. I said, yeah, you're right, So I go back and I said seven up is the same as a beer. Well, I didn't listen to her. She said I would have seven up. So like forty five minutes later, these girls, both of them have a headache and they have to leave, so we took them both home. They were boss sick and at the Forum there's always parties going on. There's a big party going on, you know, about fifteen minutes after him. So I go to the party and there is my date, this Dauna. I'm recklessly feeling better and she's dancing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: Well what happened was I didn't realize because years later, this is like almost two years later, she tells Sally when she's always coming back to town, don't go up with that Jimmy Larbarbera. There's a dis joct in town. Jimy Lar Barbera. Don't go out with him. He's egotistical and he's cheap. So that was the main that was the main reason why she wouldn't go out with me, because I didn't buy the girl a seven up.
Speaker 1: I forgot. Well, you're I mean, I know that you miss Sally so much. Yeah, and tough, hear, and it's been a tough year for you. But yeah, I know you're back out in the dating pool. So if I mean, if any eligible women are listening, Jim has been looking to get back out and about.
Speaker 2: So it's been an interesting journey.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you've told me some stories, and I feel badly for you. So let's use this forum fine to try.
Speaker 2: And find get a date. You can get a date with Jim Lebar.
Speaker 1: That's the problem.
Speaker 9: The problem, the major problem I have is that I can't lie about my age. I'm eighty four, I meany four. I can't lie about you. It's like you look fantastic eighty four but maybe four. So it's it in't coil. When we worked together for years later and Jane, Jim, you need to date somebody your your own age, they said, where am I going to go?
Speaker 1: The old folks?
Speaker 3: I'm going? We do?
Speaker 8: Come on.
Speaker 1: Well he's he's not egotistical, ladies, but he is still cheap.
Speaker 2: Still was it?
Speaker 1: Ray?
Speaker 5: He's eighty four, but he's got the hair, a head full of hair that I thought I was gonna have. And I just I ran the numbers. A dollar in nineteen sixty six is worth ten dollars today, So he I wouldn't say.
Speaker 1: He was cheap. I would say he was frugal.
Speaker 5: But he was making three hundred and seventy grand equivalent in nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, your Jimmy. He's smart.
Speaker 1: What he is good Jo.
Speaker 2: He's still a catch lady.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break for news and we'll come back on the Bill Cunningham Show, Gary Jeff on my Birthday and more to come. Rick Robinson will be joining us soon. And we're still waiting for mister birthday tuba to blow. Somebody must have told him it was my birthday. Ray Scott and his wife brought all kinds of goodies for it, family heirlooms and such day from Harrison brought a cake for GJ and prof because the music professor is it's his birthday too. And somebody brought Dorothy Lane Market. I think so the sales department. Thanks sales department, Thanks Dorothy Lane Market, all for Gary Jeff and Jim Lebarber's birthday. And my producer on Saturday morning came and to show up to wish us both happy birthday. That's neat, that's neat. He walked in the studio. Liam did just a few moments. He goes, happy birthday, old man, what are you eighty five? And I pointed to Jim. I said no, but he's eighty four, and he said, well he looks better than you. I would agree, Liam, how you doing Buddy, it's an honor to be with Jim Lebarbar and Gary Jeff Walker. Well, you're you're kind of with us every Saturday morning until you move on. Like every other producer I've ever had on that show.
Speaker 12: I don't think I'm with anybody on Saturday mornings. Not there yet, you know, is that early? It's five am?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean technically you were with us in the other room, where I wish you would stay most of the time. No, you look good, man. You look like you've had some sleep. You look like somebody else dressed you, because I know you didn't dress yourself looking that good. Let's put on a sweater. I don't know how to ask Christmas Spirit. Merry Christmas to you, man, and I want to thank you. You know I've had in the almost twenty nine years i've been doing that show here on seven hundred WLW, I've had about twenty nine to thirty producers, and you've stayed considerably longer than most.
Speaker 12: It's only because I committed assault on you once and I'm worried you're going to charge me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Liam came to the bar once and we were fake. We were playing air basketball, so I was moving my hand back and forth like I was dribbling a basketball because I did used to play.
Speaker 2: You'd never know it now.
Speaker 1: And I tried my reverse spin move and drove to the hoop and he's pretending to play defense, and just as I went up from my shot, he body checks me right onto the floor into the wall.
Speaker 12: I don't fall for pump fakes. You pump faked me. First off. I stood there like a brick wall. If you want to enter the paint, you're ready to play with the big dogs. Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen, the mouse in the house.
Speaker 13: I think it's important to point out that your you're now old enough to be injured playing a game of basketball without even having a ball in your hand.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just want to point out there.
Speaker 1: Was no there was no basket, there was no ball. I'm just air dribbling like you're posing for a picture and pull a muscle exactly, you know, and and you know, get into my my form there and he's just like swat swatted me like I was a bug or something, and just down on the ground. I went, I had uh cracked ribs for like about three months, his elbow was the size of the balloon. I was actually kind of scared and it was like that for like a month. I've got to pop it like a balloon and a lot of liquid coming out.
Speaker 2: There's no statute of limitations on that lamb.
Speaker 1: It's getting closed two years.
Speaker 2: Thank gosh.
Speaker 1: I'm counting down the days on the calendar. Excess keep going down for.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for coming in, man, it's an honor.
Speaker 1: Grabs man in the room, grab some grub before it's all gone. Oh my good, all right man, Thanks Liam, Liam Tomlinson. Hear him try and read sports on Saturday morning. Also joining us in the studio at the Gary jeff birthday party on Willie's Shows, my friend Rick Robinson, lawyer and Northern Kentucky author UH an expert on nineteen sixty eight. That's why I wrote the book nineteen sixty eight. He's written many other books, both fiction and nonfiction, and he's here in the studio with us now. And thank you for making the trip. I know you've had some challenges.
Speaker 13: Well, you know what, the legs don't quite work like they used to. You got a couple more years to wait for that one. But you know, I gotta say all these other guys brought you something. I mean, I mean, I don't want to say they're chief skates. Huh yeah, I mean, I'm sure. I'm sure you all were very well intended. But I brought you ten thousand dollars ten ten thousand dollars, thousand dollars, well at least a chance to win ten thousand dollars scratch. I got you scratch off.
Speaker 1: If I win the ten thousand, can I have it in a Ludlow Bromley Uh?
Speaker 2: Bitcoins?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we're gonna have whoa we are still I'm still believing that we can still have the Ludlow Bromley bitcoin.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: We did that one day on the air and I put something on Facebook about it. Yeah, and there were a couple of people who thought we were serious. And it's like, well, you know, because I said, and I mean Jim, I said, who should we put on the Ludlow Bromley bitcoin? And to me, there's only one answer, Bob, Bob ron right, absolutely absolutely all right, and maybe on the back you could have the words to sweet Violets or something like that.
Speaker 1: So Jath threw us part who was the guy who was the guy from Northern Kentucky, who wrote the famous Christmas.
Speaker 9: Songhaving Aillsbie Saving Lesbie.
Speaker 1: Could he be on the bitcoin? Maybe? Maybe he could be on one of the he wrote, He wrote one song, Kim. Well, no, he's not a lovelow guy, okay, and you got to be a love low guy. Dave Hatter will be on one of the coins. Of course, he's the mayor of Fort right now. But but they had to import him. I mean they really were. They had to importing from Ludlow. If any one or more of your numbers match either of the winning numbers, you win the prize shown below. You were matching numbers, and then there's symbols you can reveal. Let's just see. The winning numbers are twenty one and seventeen. This is a two dollars national Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Ohio lottery. Scratch off my numbers right twelve. Oh he you know he pulled out the wrong coin.
Speaker 13: He pulled out a right handed coin and these left handed Well here, oh yeah, I'm not left handed.
Speaker 1: I just made that up. So it's just go with it, Okay. I'm not one of those guys. No, I don't need glasses yet it's ten thousand.
Speaker 13: Thanks for the effort, Rick, Okay, well you know I don't, I mean, I can I turn him in and get a chance.
Speaker 1: I gave you, I gave you to the right.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir. I appreciate that you brought your book along with.
Speaker 13: Well, I did because I actually have a trivia question for mister le Barbara uh oh, nineteen Pride and I'm trying to say so in nineteen six, nineteen sixty eight, you were on the radio at WLW in nineteen sixty eight, I think Cleveland.
Speaker 9: That would have been kay and then WIXI part of wixy And when did you come here? Sixty nine? Okay, next year, all right, nineteen sixty eight, Rick Robinson with a question sixty eight.
Speaker 13: See if I can stump the professor by the way, I from the punk side, by the way, neither one of you will get it. But you also have a punker. You share a birthday with whom Joe strummer birthday is today the clash. Yes, okay, so there you go. I know who he is. Now here we go. Here's here's your question. It's nineteen sixty eight. January of sixty eight. The number one song was the same song that was number one in on December thirty first, but performed by a different group, a different performer. So the same song was number one on January one in nineteen seventy eight as it was on December thirty first, recorded by two different people. So the number one song at the beginning of the year is the number one song at the end of the year, but by a different artist.
Speaker 1: You got me. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I stumped the professor.
Speaker 13: The answer to that is, I heard it through the grapevine by Marvin Gaye at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Last night and then Marvin Gaze. Yes last night than Marvin Good. That's good.
Speaker 9: That became the biggest Marvin Gaye's version became the biggest selling motown record for the whole decade of the sixties. Yeah, that was it been And you're right last night totally different arrangement.
Speaker 13: Yeah, different different arrange coming into the she was number one going out of the ear it was Marvin.
Speaker 1: That's a marvelous question. That's a good question. That's a good question.
Speaker 2: You should have known that.
Speaker 1: I should have known. You're right. I shouldn't know that. Trivia everything behind it.
Speaker 13: As soon as you tell him what the answer of you has got everything up here in ram in the head that he just gets a button then.
Speaker 9: It comes out. That's like Dusty rhodes Us. He said, well, now what about the record label? What color was the label? I said, I have no idea. What was the flip side? I don't know. I can tell you that, you know, Frankie Lyman wents to to stit you in your high school Truman Grimes was the bass singer. But you know what, I still can't tell you my kid's birthdays, you know, and truthfully, my my wife, my own wife's birthday. I got into an argument just a few years ago because my daughter Shelby forgot to remind me. I said, Shelby, what's wrong with you? You didn't remind me? Was sally Mom's birthday?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 9: So I but all this other trivia stuff and the artist and what happened and Johnny know that stuff.
Speaker 1: I remember. Oh, it's like you know, will and I'm more tells you the subconsciously what you have important in your brain, at what you consider important and what you don't apparently I know. Apparently, No, it's not good. It's not good.
Speaker 9: I'm worried about to mention that, but I can remember all that kind of stuffy, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I think you're pretty sharp.
Speaker 13: You'll be the guy at the home going down and knowing all the words to all the songs.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't know the words of the songs either. Because it's a disc jockey. We play the intro, we play the outro, and then while the record's playing, we're busy chewing up tapes in those days, getting the talking on the phone. Know that stuff, I got that. You know the trip that we made to ann Arber with the Art Bulow's birthday party. I tink to me that was one of the highlights of the last ten years of my life because Joey Wynolds was there, and Joey Wendlds was a big disc jockey in Buffalo, New York. And I was ready to drop out a radio in uh nineteen sixty it was nineteen sixty six. I was ready to quit radio. The poke director at the station said, you know, Jim, you don't have any talent. You have no talent. So my buddy and another radio station said, let's go see Joey Rentols. I bought tape up to Joey Rentolds at kb in Buffalo and he said, you sound like Bobby Mitchell in San Francisco. He said, I'm not leaving, and Danny never at the afternoon, Guy's not leaving. But man, you sound good enough. You you sound really good. And that kept me in radio, and then like two months three months later, I got the job offer in Cleveland on the same tape that the guy, the program director at the station said, hey, you don't have any talent. So that's the craziness of business. And I wanted to thank Joey in person because if I was ready to drop out, I was all ready to go back home the school teacher somewhere, a teaching degree, sure, and that was it. But we had a chance to thank you know, here's Joey Reynolds. So it was so great to be there with those.
Speaker 1: Somebody just brought us up at the bar this weekend and I said, it was my birthday on Monday and said, you know, in our family, and it's tradition that you don't have a birthday, you have like a birth year because we consider it from the time that you're conceived in the womb, that nine months in the womb whoa, whoa. So technically I've been sixty five for quite a while, and I believe that because I do believe that life begins. Now, let me ask you this.
Speaker 9: Did you get a Christmas present and they say, hey, well, this is your Christmas and your Birthday present because I got that.
Speaker 1: All the time we were covering that earlier. Yeah, they never saying happy birthday.
Speaker 2: My parents were great. We never had a birthday. My parents were great.
Speaker 1: About it because they would separate, you know, and I had three younger brothers, so they got a little jealous. And by the time Christmas came around, I felt a little guilty because I'd gotten all these presents, but there was always the one present that was a big president. It was well, this is for both Birthday and Christmas. I also wanted to wish happy Birthday to Kim Wisdom Wisdom who works for iHeartMedia. Her birthday is December twenty second, ten years after mine, and Kim also some work over for the Bengals I think in the in the pro shop or whatever. But Happy Birthday Kim Wisdom, along with him Barbara and Me, Gary, Jeff Walker and mister Birthday Tuba is here. Jac Are you ready to uh to oompah us out into the break here.
Speaker 2: Let's do this right, uh.
Speaker 15: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Uh uh.
Speaker 14: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 15: And so I'll be quiet man and and and answer your questions so I can get to work.
Speaker 3: Uh hello, quiet, I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Yes, a wise guy and a bunch of wise guys. And one of those wise guys is name Seg Dennison, and he's here now.
Speaker 2: For his dudes.
Speaker 1: What's going on there? Gary, Jeff? And we got the birthday party for me and the prop Jim Lebarbara. It's standing rom only in there.
Speaker 16: I know, I know it's a I mean I'm waiting for you know, a lot more celebrities to come by.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe Willie's coming by just after two, so well, and that he's jumping out of the cake I heard. Well, it was his birthday just eleven days ago. Did he throw a party like this for himself? No? No, no, I guess he's not as excited about being seventy eight as I am being sixty five. There you go.
Speaker 2: I got one of your classmates in here from Cole Rain.
Speaker 1: Who might that be?
Speaker 2: David Wells?
Speaker 1: Is his name?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 2: Saved from Harrison is?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: I will come in and see him in a few minutes.
Speaker 16: All right, go ahead, Sair Gary Jeffy stood reporters of proud service of your local tomb Start Air Conditioning dealers, Tessa quality you could feel in Cincinnati called Stacey Heating and Air Solutions five one, three three six seven h.
Speaker 1: E A T Spots.
Speaker 16: And we also want to thank Dorothy Lane Market. Oh, quality is their foundation, Gary jeff There believable sprits, the ham and the chips and I mean everything. It's now opening Mason at seventy two hundred Mason Montgomery Roads. We'll get there and get some great food as we have today for your birthday.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's delicious.
Speaker 16: And we also want to thank Victoria Vassilo, the sister in law of Brian Combs, for once again coming through with her massive tray of homemade Christmas cookies here at the station.
Speaker 2: You know segment.
Speaker 1: I was diagnosed six years ago with type two diabetes. It's not bad, but I just looked at the plate and my sugar spike like three hundred points. Thank you.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think I gained about fifteen pounds just looking at him.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 16: Bengals update brought to you by Good spirits, wine and tobacco, and Party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky Oprah three hundred and sixty five days a year. Good spirits at Party Town make holidays effortless. Of course, Joe Burrow with four touchdowns yesterday as the Bengals knock off the Dolphins in their second half comeback and five and ten. Now Joe Burrow's up for the has been nominated for the FedEx Aaron Ground Player of the Week.
Speaker 2: Too badly, I play the Dolphins every week.
Speaker 1: Amen to that. He's by the NFL.
Speaker 16: Vote through Wednesday at three o'clock for mister Burrow at NFL dot com, forward slash FedEx. Monday Night football has San Francisco and Indianapolis at seven on ESPN fifteen thirty. Let's see what else is going on? Oh, Georgetown, the Hoyas suspending their head coach Ed Cooley for three games the next three games following his outburst after the lost of Xavier Saturday night in d c oh.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe he was sleeping with an undergrad.
Speaker 16: He threw a bottle mission a white water bottle into the stands and struck a child.
Speaker 1: What yeah, right?
Speaker 16: At the end of the bench. So on's the way you're throwing things here, just you know, take a loss and that's it. So what are you doing for Christmas?
Speaker 2: Segment?
Speaker 1: Just sitting around the house, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 2: And taking it easy.
Speaker 16: No second clause this year I did it twice, did it for our church and then also uh for for the station here, and nobody else called segment I'm available, but uh, nobody called anybody.
Speaker 1: Need a sega clause He's available. Anything to get him out of the house with Denise. He's ready, not true, just coming. He knows she's listening.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 16: How quick that exactly exactly segment Happy Birthday, Gary Jeff into the prof. Merry Christmas is the prof sixty five The prof is a slight thirty nine and holding that's let's go with thirty nine and hold it.
Speaker 9: I got to tell you SEG's dad, Segg's dad would play Santa Claus, came to our house many many times and broad gifts.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 9: And I'd say, well, what do I owe you? And you say no, no, no, you're fine, You're fine, wonderful. Your dad was absolutely beautiful. Thank you forfet And it's good you're doing the same tradition you put it up on it.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. It's fune. We have a few people here in the studio we've got to recognize before we get out of the stuge report. And let me get this phone call David. You can let Aunt Merle come on. I know this lady. She's wonderful and she celebrates her birthdays with me. So she's celebrating my birthday with herself. Aunt Merle.
Speaker 17: Good afternoon, Happy birthday, Happy Birthday, and then Merry Christmas.
Speaker 18: And you know this. First of all, I offered my masks for your intentions this morning, and that's my happy Birthday gift to you.
Speaker 2: That's why it's going so well, Merle.
Speaker 18: Okay. And then the other thing, I want to make a reminder in this Christmas season, the January sixth is coming up soon, and that is the feast of the Epiphany, the wise man who come to visit Jesus.
Speaker 2: January sixth, the feast of the Epiphany.
Speaker 18: Yes, yes, and I thought that's a good reminder on your birthday.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, thanks Merle, love you, love you. We also have a lady Lynette in studio who would like to sing are you ready Lynette.
Speaker 19: Yes, oh right, Happy birthday do you? Happy birthday? Do Happy birthday? Will Jim the Barber and Gary Jay Happy birthday do.
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, Dave from Dayton, also day from Dayton also collected and Dave, if you can turn down this stuge music just for a second. He also brought us Dick from Dayton.
Speaker 2: There's nobody nobody.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows me, do they? Everybody knows you, from coast to coast. You show up, You show up on sports talk, national sports talk shows, just to just to say hi, I've heard you. I mean, you're like on National sports talks every Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Dick from Dayton will call me.
Speaker 1: But Dick calls everybody, and you're kind of upset Mowagger's not here because you wanted to give him a piece of your mind because he never takes your call, right Dick.
Speaker 15: Well, I mean I just try. You guys got different rules. We'll keep trying. Yeah, but I'll tell you who did take my call. Who's we were talking about? Uh, Marty Brenneman's birthday. Yeah, Uh, he was glad to talk to me. The call more Lance McAllister. Oh so Lance will take your calls. But MO won't take your calls once in a while, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember the time you called MO and you fell asleep while you were waiting on hold? I did that to chicks, you I fell asleep. So you wanted to play a little bit for us, Dick?
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 1: What do you want? One?
Speaker 2: Jingle bells?
Speaker 20: I've seen to this had a one horse open Say oh, well, jingle.
Speaker 14: Bells, dingle bells, dingle all the way. Ride say jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one horse open side.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Who I want to know? Who tuned that ukulele? No, I'll tell you what I Doug gave me this in the banjo group.
Speaker 2: It's funny. The mandled in.
Speaker 15: I would take places, you know what. It's cold, Yeah, we couldn't get him to and ukulele will stay in tune. It stays in two until until it gets in the studio. Well, if you put it, my uncle used to get mad. I'd leave my mandolin and stuff in the back seat in the summer and.
Speaker 1: Right, well, it can warp with the temperature change, right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So that sounds like my aging formula.
Speaker 1: And get warm and it gets warped. I don't think we need to go any further into that. Rick, thank you very much for the for offering that information that we didn't ask for.
Speaker 2: Lynette.
Speaker 1: Yes, let me ask you, dear, what's going on at the home for Christmas?
Speaker 11: What do you there? I'm the Christmas party now at two thirty. I don't know if I get back in time. Part Well, so I want to meet Willie he's coming year.
Speaker 2: Well, he's he's going to be here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm sure he would love to meet you before uh, you have to go. But he also asked me to get the rabble out by the time he got here. I don't know, I don't. I don't think you're part of the rabble though, I don't. Probably mister birthday Tuba, No, I'm kidding. Is he here?
Speaker 10: He is?
Speaker 1: He's right behind you. Oh, anything you'd like to say to mister birthday Tuba?
Speaker 11: I would like to hear him play happy birthday to you, my love.
Speaker 2: Well, he just did a few minutes ago.
Speaker 11: You used to I guess we were outside, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were just outside the door when he delivered.
Speaker 9: Can you paint a picture of what she's wearing okay, And I would tell you that it looks like his birthday was like Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 1: Very much so everything. But mister President, she got Willy, she got you, and she got me. Even though Willy's birthday was eleven days ago.
Speaker 11: Well we had to honor it anyway.
Speaker 1: All Right, we've got a call on the line here, doctor Dennis in Annapolis, Maryland.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, How are you, sir?
Speaker 21: All right, good afternoon, and happy birthday on your sixty fifth.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir?
Speaker 1: What they.
Speaker 21: I just I tried to get in the other day, but you were your show was crammed, so I couldn't get on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well maybe maybe the show needs a little constipation medicine.
Speaker 21: Uh so I want to I thought I was. I was delighted to you know, here you were filling in for Willy today and having your birthday, your birthday celebration.
Speaker 1: So you were you were the one that was delighted to hear that I was filling in for Willy today. Yeah, right, okay, good at least it was, don't you say, Lynette?
Speaker 11: I one, two, three, four of us are thrilled that you're here.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much. We're thrilled to have you here.
Speaker 1: Uh, and we want to thank Dave Bachrath for bringing both Dick from Dayton and lady Lynette in. Thank you, mister Dave for this stooge report. Absolutely, thank you, my friend.
Speaker 11: And God bless you.
Speaker 8: Rick.
Speaker 1: Do you have any final words of wisdom before we break from this stooge report and make way for the great one? You know, I'm supposed.
Speaker 13: To be going out front and rolling out of the red carpet for Willie, so I've been actually, you know, getting that together. I don't don't have any words other than uh, you know, as we sit here and and and celebrate the birthdays, especially of our friend Jim le Barbara and Gary Jeff. But I just want to point out I stumped Jim le Barbara on a niceties question. I just want to say that that is now I'm gonna I'm gonna get a T shirt made up that says that.
Speaker 1: Well so much so I saw him, I saw him taking copious notes when he found out what the answer was.
Speaker 2: He will never forget that again.
Speaker 1: I will Number one January nineteen sixty eight. I heard it through the grape vine by Gladys Night in the Pips December thirty first, nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: I heard it through the grapevine, number one by Marvin guests.
Speaker 9: Sixty seven, sixty seven glad and then sixty eight. Yeah it was.
Speaker 13: It was January one, sixty eight, December thirty first for Marvin.
Speaker 1: It was number one on January first, number one. Yeah, and then okay, release dates?
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 1: Are we I.
Speaker 2: What's in?
Speaker 1: What's?
Speaker 22: Suggested an annual tradition on this December twenty second to take Willie Show over and do this every year.
Speaker 1: And yeah, step up to the mic, Dave, can't. I can't hear you, Dave, step up to the mic there, Yeah.
Speaker 22: No, I suggest hijacking Willy Show every December twenty second for a birthday show with you and Jim Lebarber every every season. This is great to bring the gang all together, your old Saturday morning shows.
Speaker 2: All here pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah every year, had old Radio Rick on earlier.
Speaker 2: Everybody but mo.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 22: Good as Jim lebarbar looks. I think he got twenty more years of these shows left.
Speaker 1: We have a we have a Bengals update just ahead in a few minutes, and Bill Cunningham will be joining us. We have breaking news today if you've been listening at the top and the bottom of the hour. Someone did not have hepatitis as was alleged earlier, and it relates to Nathaniel Jones and a infamous release by the Hamilton County Prosecutor, County Village. We will discuss in greater detail in minutes here on seven hundred w l W into another hour of this Bill Cutingham Show, Gary Jeff Walker on my birthday. You know it was Willie's birthday eleven days ago, so I get a chance to say in person happy birthday to the man himself on his show who was stumbled in, fumbled, stumbled and fumbled in because there's breaking news today and we have last meet Somarco, the Hamilton County corner who said it would be all right to call with the breaking news that there was no hepatitis. We're talking, of course, about the the Elwood Jones murder case, who was released summarily summarily released from a murder bond from death row, from death row on his own recognizance by County Pillage, the Hamilton County Prosecutor. But based on this new evidence, everything has been thrown asunder and Willie, Can you set that up even better for me than I just did? Gary Jeff first of us honored to be on your show. It's great to be on your show anytime I get the chance.
Speaker 23: The issue that caused Judge Wendy Cross and then Connie Pillach in one case offer a new tribe because of a quote newly discovered evidence metastasized to Connie Pilag County Prisco holding a news conference in what she said, I am freeing Elwood Jones from the murder of Roodon Nathan because of quote newly discovered evidence, which was the hepatitis B that allegedly that they had, so as Elwood's hand bashed into the mouth of Rhoda and knocking a tooth into her stomach, that that was the theory of the prosecution, that somehow that would be communicated transmitted to Ellwood, who did not have hepatitis B. So I spoke to the County corner, I spoke to other noted individuals who said that even if that happened, that even if Rhoda had hepatitis B, which you get through needle use or frequent sex, which upset the family, shall we say quite a bit for Grandma, but nonetheless secondary issue. The odds of transmission are about one out of three, So there's a two thirds chance that didn't happen, one third it did. Is that concrete, irrefutable evidence, Gary, Jeff, I present that to you enough to release a convicted murderer off death row with an our band, And so is this case metastasized? The county corner who we're gonna call here in a moment, said to her staff, since this case has such great interest, now let's go back in time and pull out the original slides in the original autopsy. Because during the autopsy, the organs are held in the technician's hands and you look at the livery, you look at the kidney as you look at it, then you slice it a little bit and take slides and you and there's reports written about whether or not this patient was dying of cancer of the liver or cancer. We make sure you have the right homicide. Sure, And so the coroner said in this report that I'm looking at that the deceited did not have hepatitis B, which was the main reason that this judicial system freed with Jones. And so I think is this doctor Somarco on the line.
Speaker 2: Yet she is. She's ready to join us right now, LEAs we'll bring her on.
Speaker 1: Doctor Somarco, you are on the air with Gary, Jeff Walker and Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, ma'am.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon.
Speaker 23: Now, doctor Somarco, to put more meat on these bones, I'll ask you specifically, did RhoD of Nathan when she was murdered have hepatitis B?
Speaker 24: Well, the lab test that was run on her blood says no.
Speaker 23: Did anyone else run test on her blood at that time other than Hamony County Corner's office under the leadership I think of doctor Cleveland.
Speaker 24: The only thing I'm aware of in reviewing her case file was that she was taken from the hotel to but As the North Hospital, So I figured they must have run some tests on her, and we reached out to them before we put out our press release today because we wanted to make sure we had as much information as possible, and we were informed the Trihealth's medical record retention was only ten years, so they didn't have any information before that that was a dead end.
Speaker 2: How reliable is that blood test?
Speaker 24: Well, we as.
Speaker 1: A definitive.
Speaker 24: Yes, yes, I mean that. So in reviewing the records. It came from a company which unfortunately is no longer.
Speaker 18: That was the other thing we did.
Speaker 24: We were trying to be very thorough. We reached out, we tried to research this company which was in Cyprus, California, but it was called Microbiology Reference Laboratory, and that's where a lot of the infectious disease samples were sent at the time. And both the HIV test and the hepatitis B tests were run at that laboratory, and we have the reports from both of those tests and it says on well, it says referring to it, it says hepatitis B surface eagen negatives was there?
Speaker 23: I can fairly say, going back thirty some years, that was the definitive report from the laboratory run at that point by doctor Cleveland to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that that wrote it did not have hepatitis B.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 24: Yes, that was. And in addition to that, just to let you know the actual physical evidence and the microscope slides and so forth, we don't have that anymore, but the notes from the review of those slides, those are in the case file, and there's nothing in those notes that indicates acute inflammatory changes of the liver to indicate whether she had appetitis or not. So there isn't any evidence in those notes to indicate that she had any inflammation of the liver.
Speaker 2: Well, where did this information come from? Then?
Speaker 1: If you've got the reports? They had access to the reports, did they not? I mean yes, was this made up out of thin air? I mean, what's your well, I know it's congecture, but yeah.
Speaker 24: You're yeah exactly so Yeah, because in nineteen ninety four I lived in la So my theory is is at that time these two dictate the pathologists used to dictate their findings, and then their dictations will be transcribed by a person into our report. And during that transcription they also would input the test results that were available, and any other testing results that were pertinent to the death investigation would be put into that final report, the death record as they called it, and.
Speaker 1: Reviewing that.
Speaker 24: Somebody definitely along the way, either it was dictated incorrectly or transcribed incorrectly. But the report it says zerology hepatitis CRMB surface and egen positive.
Speaker 23: So who did that? Like a secretarial clerk function?
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, it would have been somebody who was a transcriptionist at the time.
Speaker 1: So here's the big question. Are you ready, doctor for the big question.
Speaker 24: I'm always ready for your big questions, Willie. That doesn't mean I'm going to answer your big questions, but I'm ready for it.
Speaker 23: Over the last several months, according to news media accounts, the Prosecutor's office under Connor Pillage went through an exhaustive examination of all the records relative to the death of Rodin Nathan, including all the autopsy, etc. And there was a big news conference she held in which she stood before the seal of the Great State of Ohio and the Prosecutor's office claiming that new scientific evidence excluded Elwood Jones from being the murderer. Factually, is that accurate?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 24: I don't know what the new scientific evidence is.
Speaker 1: Wel So did well?
Speaker 23: Is there any communication, phone call, text message between you and the Prosecutor's office the last several months about this case.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 24: During the second week of December, we received the communication from a member of the Prosecutor's office asking if we had any DNA evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Yeah, And at that time our administrator opened the file that was all the papers had been scanned into our database so that they you know, instead of moving papers when we moved into this the new office, we tried to scan all the paperwork into a database so it was all electronic instead of having to move boxes and boxes of files. So all of her case file information had been scanned into our database, so it was all electronic. So she pulled up the file to look through the file to see if there was any DNA evidence, and there was not.
Speaker 23: Okay DNA, she reported that. But did the prosecutor's office ask about the original results of hepatitis B?
Speaker 1: Yes? Or no? No? Well, who was the prosecutor at the time, and if these reports had been filed erroneously at the time, I mean where did where did the translation get lost? I guess along the way. Did they know at the time in nineteen ninety four or at the time of the trial? Did they believe that Rhoda had hepatitis B? Did they believe that then? Yes, they believe that then, but it wasn't brought up at trial.
Speaker 23: Well on that front, is Joe and Mark the prosecutors how big of an issue is hepatitis BE at trial? And the answer was wasn't a big issue at all, because even if it happened, which is very unlikely. The odds are no more than one out of three. That means two out of three there'd be no positive result. But as I understand your comments, uh, doctor somarco that when you said, no, prosecutor's office in December of this year of this year did not inquire about the original test results of hepatitis B being negative.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 8: That's correct?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, now what do you do well?
Speaker 24: I mean, I was also going to say that, you know, the the one in three figure comes from a study done on IVY drug abusers sharing dirty needles.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think Rode it was.
Speaker 24: My grandma was Is that that doesn't even apply here because the risk to anybody that wasn't an IVY drug abuser sharing dirty needles would be a lot less.
Speaker 23: And the family, I was told by a knowledgeable person that they were extremely upset to find out that grandma might have been a frequent IVY drug abuser and or frequent sex involving blood, and that was sticking in the back of their head for a long time. Oh my god, maybe this grandmother we knew, with three kids and ten grandchildren, was beaten to death. And so can you put to rest the idea that even if which it isn't, the case that hepatitis B was present with the deceit in which it wasn't, Even if that is true, it's no more than a one third chance that Elwood would have been infected.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 24: Yes, that's my understanding based on the expert with this testimony and my knowledge.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 23: And the key is, while the exhaustive investigation of Connie Pillach was ongoing, there was no communication from them to your office about the original hepatitis BE result being negative.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: My question would be how strong was the forensic evidence, the actual evidence that they had that Elwood Jones had killed Rhoda Daniel in the first place. How was it just circumstantial evidence?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: What was the strength of that forensic evidence on the body of Rhoda Daniel on you know, involvement DNA with Daniel Nathaniel with I'm sorry, Elwood Jones, Elwood Jones.
Speaker 24: So let's address the DNA issue. We did not have DNA analysis capability in the Hamilton County Corner's office until nineteen ninety five. Moving forward, Okay, So I believe looking at the records that the biological evidence collected at the time was requested to be sent to BCI.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's no DNA now.
Speaker 23: Lastly, one of the other key pieces of evidence is that diamond necklace found in the toolbox of Elwood Jones, that Defense Council claims was likely planted there by someone some mysterious force put it there. When I had on Mark Petemeyer last week, he said that the diamond necklace that rode ahead around her neck when she came out of the shower was ripped off her neck, as proven by the woman her friend who found the body that noted that they even took the diamond necklace off her neck. In fact, in the back, the connecting elements were not disconnected.
Speaker 2: They were ripped.
Speaker 23: Before the Blue Ash Police arrived. The Blue Ash Police didn't arrive for fifteen minutes. And therefore you told me I think I read somewhere or heard that the actual toolbox of Edward Jones, supposedly Defense Council says it was planted by the Blue Ash Police. The car containing the toolbox was in the garage of the Hamiony County Corner's office.
Speaker 1: Is that correct.
Speaker 24: The from my understanding and looking at the case file, that car was delivered to the old building, to the garage of the old building and for our trace evidence people to do their investigations.
Speaker 23: And the diamond necklace is never noted into evidence because it was gone, and it was gone because the killer took it, and it was found in the box available with Jones.
Speaker 24: Yeah, dependent, dependent was found in that toolbox. That's correct, in the car.
Speaker 23: Well, where do we go from hair, Doc, Yeah, that's a good question, because the case was dismissing the experts.
Speaker 24: I'm just presenting. I'm just presenting the scientific facts as I found them in the case file.
Speaker 1: No hepatitis B, no hepatitis B, no baby, no.
Speaker 24: No HIV, and no hepatitis B.
Speaker 1: Doctor Somarco, thank you so much for the information this afternoon.
Speaker 21: Yeah, absolutely, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: So Willie, let me ask you the truth will set us free. As an attorney, let me ask you what kind of evidence was presented at trial the convictadom would.
Speaker 23: You several elements? Number one, he had a pass key. There was four people with a pass key. He was one of the four. Number two when he punched Wrotea's teeth down into her stomach. There was a specialized virus that exists only in the human body on the gum line, so a person is called is called a boxer's virus that when you punch somebody, if you have gloves on, it wouldn't happen, but if you're a boxer. He had suffered severe injuries to his left hand after he killed Rhoda. Three employees noted he wrapped his hands and they asked him, what happened to your hand early in the morning. He didn't have bandages on. He said, Number one, I heard it on a dumpster. Number two, I heard it when I was putting tables together. He never explained his story changed changed. Three days, he goes to a hand doctor. The doctor asked Elwood, who'd you punch in the mouth to get that? He said, no, I didn't. May I continue. The necklace was found in his possession, and the killer took the necklace before anyone arrived at the scene of the crime. Elwood, of course, had an extensive previous criminal record of burglary and of assault on a police officer and beat his wife. He spent years in prison. If the case is dismissed, with prejudice. Can he face punishment for this now?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 23: Ever, never, She could have dismissed it without prejudice, just had the word out without prejudice, so if something develops in the future could be retried.
Speaker 1: She did it in a way that kept clear any other trial.
Speaker 23: And also Gary jeff because the county prosecutor admitted liability in this case by blaming Joe Deaters and Mark Petemeyer because they cheated. Because of that, when the multi billion dollar lawsuit comes, the county prosecutors admitted liability.
Speaker 1: The only issue is damages, so you'll be paying. Well, I don't live in Hamilton County. Will you pay sales tax somewhere? Don't you? I tend to shop in northern Kentucky.
Speaker 23: But the point of the matter is a profound injustice took place here, and now that the corner.
Speaker 1: That injustice is going to be passed on to the taxpayers of Hamilton County and anybody who.
Speaker 23: Remember Countie Pilly said, exhaustively, I looked at all the records, but never called the coroner to ask about the hepatitis B test.
Speaker 1: Never called exhaustively looked at all the records. My goodness, what a mess. It is, and we're going to pay for it. Two twenty six Bill Cunningham Show, Thank you, Willie, Thank you to doctor Samarco.
Speaker 2: Stuge report coming up.
Speaker 17: Just moments ago, I dismissed the case against Elwood Jones. This is the result of a month's long intensive review. We did take a deep dive and it took us months to get through this. This case is thirty years old, that's had multiple appeals, lots of evidence.
Speaker 1: Hello, Piet and I'm broadcasting. Talk to me about a deep dive. The Conye Pillage, sorry, the deep diving prosecutor, Countie Pillage.
Speaker 16: The only human being in the world in radio that is a guest on your own will Willie.
Speaker 2: Do you think it'd be offensive to call her a deep diver.
Speaker 23: I'm not talking about any sexual predilections except the segments. But the fact of matter, fact of the matter is a deep dive. I mean, Gary, Jeff, You're like, try to be a normal person. Yeah, it's a deep dive. Including talking to the coroner's office about the autopsy report.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're talking about anything regarding medical evidence, maybe it would be.
Speaker 23: Just maybe just take a look to make sure she had Titus Bee when she didn't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to bring that up.
Speaker 23: But we took a deep dive exhaustively for many months, looking.
Speaker 1: At everything except exhaustive. I can't catch my breath, but we cannot.
Speaker 23: We cannot now say conclusively she did not have hepatitis Bee. A deep dive would have included talking to Mark Pete Meyer who tried the case, Seth Tiger, who tried the case, Joe Deemers who tried the case, and the Corners records.
Speaker 1: Would that be a deep dive? That would be a deep dog? Did that happen?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: Give me some sports? Will he the student borders of proud service Ever? Your local temp star heating.
Speaker 16: At air conditioning dealers tampstar quality you can feel in Cincinnati called Sheldon Braun, call it broad heating at five one, three, three eight, five seventy seven sixty five. I gotta go see Rob Sanders Bengals update brought to you my good Spirits, winding tobacco and party ten.
Speaker 2: Thank you Rock.
Speaker 1: He's taken over.
Speaker 23: After all, what happens in Covington is not exactly the same crapic is on in Cincinnati. Would you agree? Across the river across the river. Rob you, we need you, We need you. How about Richard K. Jones and Rob Sanders marching together?
Speaker 8: Roll it?
Speaker 1: Who are going to get to the north and the south? If we if we got a new sheriff and we got a new prosecutor, who are we going to get to Replacediji?
Speaker 23: We don't know yet because we have to pay her five million dollars first to find out. I might I might be Adam Henny, the guy who filed false criminal charges against Alex Stravinsky.
Speaker 1: But I'm speaking out of turn. How much are we going to have to pay because of Connie Pillage's due diligence on our deep dive? Will he how much is thirty years on death row work? How much is that worth? Millions?
Speaker 23: And the prosecutors now admitted liability a million a year, say say thirty million base. The lawyers are wanting up to represent him in the case, and maybe the county commissioners need to write another big check.
Speaker 1: And he's front, he's free to punch more people in the mouth. That's like the protesters, right.
Speaker 23: You get paid to protest, not incoming? Did you get the crap beat out of you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 16: Bengals line, Willie Tonight get more on the big win yesterday six oh five here on seven hundred WLW Tonight. Joe Burrow nominated for the FedEx Air and Ground Players of the Week Award. I vote for Big Joe at through Wednesday at three at NFL dot com slash FedEx and college basketball Arizona Michigan, Iowa State one two three this.
Speaker 1: Week in the ap pole.
Speaker 16: What about uc uh they well, they almost came back yesterday from being twenty seven down.
Speaker 1: Didn't they blow it? But they they were down thirty to eleven.
Speaker 2: At one point.
Speaker 1: It means that they're not in the top twenty five, right in the bottom, not at seven and five.
Speaker 2: What about the Musketeers? You wearing your ex today, Willie?
Speaker 1: What about the undefeated?
Speaker 10: Tight?
Speaker 23: Unscored on looked a little bit bad against the Birds. The Blue Jays not good. But how about the Hoyas beat them in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: The Hoyas are in trouble.
Speaker 16: They're they're head coaches and Cooley got a three game suspension for throwing that water bottle in the hit Up, Baby, Hit Up Baby.
Speaker 23: Jen Dieers was a witness to that, by the way, was sitting next to the Is that right he saw the bottle fly over his head and hit a baby in the mouth.
Speaker 1: Well, at least they weren't throwing other things at the Xavier game. We don't talk about that anymore. Guys.
Speaker 23: I gotta go see Rob Sanders about maybe taking over Hamilton County.
Speaker 2: A bloodless coup in the prosecutors.
Speaker 1: I'll leave you. We have too many commercials. Have you noticed that I have? See it's your fault, Willie. I don't want to be on for two weeks. You're so darned popular. I know people want to stend. People don't want to hear you. What about what about Connie Pillage? Where's your Connie Pillage now? Segment?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 11: I guess at some point the foolishness has got to stop.
Speaker 1: I gotta go. All right, see you, will Thanks for helping me do your show. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: On the Saturday Morning Show, when I'm on vacation, a couple of times in five years I've taken off, I wind up calling in and yeah, call in co host with Steve Hawkins, say, man, please, that's it. That's all you got?
Speaker 2: All I got?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't have anything else either, and I've got to fill about five six minutes.
Speaker 16: Gary Jeff, in honor of a beautiful day here in the tri State and Willie on his own show, we leave you, and happy birthday to you and the pro thank you so much. We leave you with the immortal words of the Stewod Report always stood.
Speaker 8: To be with you. Bill, See you later, Governor.
Speaker 2: That was close.
Speaker 1: Hey, how about that spread of food from Dorothy Lane Market, Delicious delicious on Mason Montgomery Road.
Speaker 2: Get something.
Speaker 1: I'm taking a little bit of that to that ham home. My wife doesn't eat ham, but I do. Oh wait, speaking of my wife, say hi to my wife before you go seg it's christ to two point oh Christ. How you doing, Mary? Christmas?
Speaker 15: To you?
Speaker 1: Merry Christmas? Sweet doing, okay, doing all right?
Speaker 8: Harry Christmas to you.
Speaker 2: Same to you, ma'am. Can you give her a segment a second clause? Ho ho ho one time.
Speaker 16: Wonderful there you go, see you, Gary Jeff, Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 1: The last time she heard hope from somebody, she slapped him in the face. You're lucky you're not within the shouting rings there. Striking distance, striking distance, that's it. Thank you, so, baby, what's up?
Speaker 3: I just want to say happy birthday to you and the professor.
Speaker 1: Well, Jim is gone, but I know that he heard you in spirit. Yeah. It was a phenomenal day, baby, and I I can't think all all of the people enough who came by to share it with me. And I know you probably heard some of that on the air while you were out, while you're out door dashing or whatever you were doing. Is anybody is anybody ordering food delivered today on the twenty second of December?
Speaker 3: Not really?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, so it was a waste of gas and time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically sorry.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, my love. I will see you soon.
Speaker 1: I've got all kinds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I want to say Merry Christmas to everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, Merry Christmas to you, sweetheart. And I did you hear me talk to mom and dad earlier?
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 9: I did not.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: We'll have to check the podcast, Dave, make sure there's a podcast of me and my parents from our number one Baby. I'll see you when I get home. Okay, all right, fantastic Chris to two point oh wishing her hubby Mary. She got me a hat for my birthday, and I love it. It's a limit edition vintage Age to Perfection nineteen sixty is what it says. And it is now my most prized possession because my baby, or as Willy says, my baby doll, gave it to me. And I just want to say that this experience of working here in Cincinnati. I'm sixty five, technically a little older if you count the time in the womb, but for almost half of my life I have been on the air on the radio in Cincinnati. Moved here in nineteen ninety four, was on ninety two point five the Fox, which was then owned by what became this company, and I started here at WLW in February of nineteen ninety seven doing the Saturday morning edition. It has evolved, as we all do through the years, but through that show specifically, I have made so many great friendships and developed so many wonderful relationships with a lot of people that were in this room today earlier, from Doug Bonnson and the gang, from Ripley at Brookies, to Dick from Dayton who calls Everybody's Show, to the lovely lady Lynette. The first time I heard Lynette, I was driving into work on a Saturday morning, and she was on the Old Truck and Bozo Show bugging Steve Summers about something, and then she started calling me Dave from Harrison And as he said earlier, there are no bad dad jokes old radio. Rick Washburn, who made a cameo earlier today, thank you for all the years of fun and reception reports. Steve from Etna, Ohio with great commentaries. He does these thoughtful commentaries every single Saturday morning about six forty six forty five. He's like a modern day Paul Harvey with his knowledge of history and the research he does just for this radio show. He does it for free. Steve Shulty, the environmental engineer science. Might that Teresa a more recent participant, brother Rick Green, who brings us a Bible verse which may be the only truth you ever get on Saturday morning on this station. Moe Egger, who is just I think the most superior burgeoning sports voice in Cincinnati these days.
Speaker 2: No offense, seg.
Speaker 1: And everybody else who's been a part of that show, which is my baby, and God willing, I'm planning on being back here for it this coming Saturday morning. But it's been a blessing. It's an humble opportunity, and as I mentioned earlier, my retirement plan is death. I will continue to be here as long as they will let me be here, as long as you will let me be here. And I'll be back tomorrow night at nine for the last nightcap before Christmas. And I'll also be with you with a special Christmas Eve show on Wednesday night from nine to twelve. A lot of music, a lot of my favorites and a lot of my friend's favorites. One of Willie's favorites will be featured as well. Have a fantastic rest of the day, and we'll talk to you tomorrow night at nine here on seven hundred WLW.